Speaker 1: I'm Ali.
Speaker 2: I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 3: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 2: This is the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Lesbian Chronicles. Look at my new hat? Is that a new one? No, it's all totally new, but I never wear it.
Speaker 3: Did you get the ones that you ordered?
Speaker 1: No? Oh, but nobody else worry.
Speaker 2: The reason I didn't get it is because it went to my old address.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, there's no problem with us.
Speaker 1: There's a problem. There's a problem.
Speaker 3: Order away exactly. It was Ali putting in her old address.
Speaker 1: I did. I didn't even put it in it just deep. But the thing is that it must have like default.
Speaker 2: It must have regressed to that after I did the order, because I know I typed.
Speaker 1: In my real address.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I must have just like reverted save somewhere or audio autofill or something.
Speaker 1: So that's all good.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we hopped on here we did not discuss what we were going to banter about right now.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because yeah, we have a really we have a really exciting guest. So but who's not joining us for a few minutes. So why don't you just tell me what you're doing this weekend?
Speaker 1: My daughter's doing a triathlon tomorrow, so go.
Speaker 3: Okay, we just spent the entire week in my one bedroom condo with two kids. Fun, I had no internet, So how do you do?
Speaker 1: No internet?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't even know what that would be? Like, how do you do?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I mean, I have a hot spot on my phone, so I'm able to use that for work, but like we can't stream anything. We can't like pop on Netflix. So I had like DVDs and stuff like that, and they had their iPads.
Speaker 1: I need to teach you. What do you guys? We do slam poetry like off the cuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's very fun, super normal. A lot of people do that.
Speaker 2: We literally will be like, okay, let's just do it, and then you're like put on the spot and you have to like come up with just like something like dramatic and then like do a whole slam poem and like owen rocks at.
Speaker 1: It like he'll I'm sure he'll have like a.
Speaker 2: Connector word that's like nest and then it like leads into this thing about a nest and it's like he's brilliant. I'm pretty good though, I'll get I'm like a seven. He's like a tech.
Speaker 1: It takes.
Speaker 3: Can you go for it right now?
Speaker 1: Let me do it? Let me do it now.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to I'll send you a video of one that we did that, okay, I mean it has to be like a stressful thing. Then it like climaxes to the main event and then it's like you come.
Speaker 3: Back, I need to see this. I'm all for improvising and you know all that stuff. This sounds intimidating to me.
Speaker 2: It is, but you're doing it with your kids, so there's like thing intimidating.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they think I'm an idiot anyway.
Speaker 2: Like they already think you're an idiot. Reed gets weird about it, but the rest of.
Speaker 1: Us don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean, he's not the performer like Owen.
Speaker 2: But there's like it doesn't even have to be a thing anyway. But before because our guest is going to be joining us So just a really quick note.
Speaker 1: We got a message.
Speaker 2: From one of our listeners and her story sounded so good that I just was like, we have to get her to come on because I think not only will people relate to her, but she did it like the thing that everyone had to do.
Speaker 1: She did in a way that I felt like was harder.
Speaker 2: She had more kids, younger, like I don't know, like I as I read the message, I'm like, damn, how are you less smiling and happy? And so anyway, I just felt like she felt She's inspirational.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. And before she jumps on here, one quick note that I want to mention is that our episodes, our videos are now on Tello Films.
Speaker 1: The streaming service.
Speaker 3: Okay, so if you guys want to see entire episodes of us doing this thing, you know, video wise, not just the podcast the audio, you can stream it on tellofilms. So it's it's like lesbian Netflix is the way that they advertise it.
Speaker 1: So check that out. For sure.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of good content on there, even one of Melissa's movies, Welcome Brianna, Perfect timing, perfect.
Speaker 1: Timing, perfect great. Great. Yeah, and you know we didn't.
Speaker 2: Get to tell you this before, but this is something we tell all our guests, and I think even our audience should know.
Speaker 1: You can say any fucked up thing you want and we'll edit it and post.
Speaker 2: So if you say something which I do pretty much every week, that Melissa's like, dude, we're not doing that.
Speaker 1: I can't wait, we can't do that, then you just say the word. Otherwise it all makes it to the show.
Speaker 3: But all in all, I also try to avoid using anyone's names that kind of thing, just a good rule of thumb.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, or do or do and take them, take a date to task.
Speaker 3: And then take the heat for it, not us exactly.
Speaker 2: So, Brianna, your message, like I felt like, would resonate with so many people, but mostly because it started so early for you, like your life, like turning into an.
Speaker 1: Adult, I guess to me started early.
Speaker 2: So why don't you just first of all, welcome, but then give us a little background on Brianna before she's gay.
Speaker 1: Brianne Okay, yes, okay, So I grew up in San Diego, California. I'm a sibling of four, so I'm a second daughter of four siblings. I grew up Mormon, so there's a very tight knit but very good community of Mormons and Diego and it was actually a really lovely experience being raised Mormon, especially outside of Utah, where it's kind of like the Vatican of Mormonism a little bit. I've never heard of Mormon and a Utah Mormon are just very different things. So okay, really fun. And then you know, in Mormonism you're taught to get married young and have babies young, and it's kind of expected of you. And so when I was twenty, well, I went to a a Mormon college, Bringham Young University, the campus in Idaho, which was, yeah, not my place going from San Diego in Idaho and in certain ways, and yeah, my roommate was from Idaho and was like, what's thephora? And I was like, oh my god, where am I? What's thephora? And my fuck nowhere? Seriously, Oh my god. I wanted to go to New York City to study fashion. That was my dream. And then I felt the pressure from my church leaders and my parents to go to Brigham Young, Idaho. And I mean obviously it was way cheaper and all of that, so I decided to do that, and I think that was like a big one of the biggest moments of my life where I went against myself, like for the first time in a big, big way in real time. Did you know it at the time or did you know like you were doing the right thing? Yes? I was like, oh, this is what I should do, because if I go to New York, if I go somewhere else, I won't stay active, probably in the church, and then I won't go to heaven. So I need to stay active. I need to go to heaven. And so I'm going to go to a Mormon college so I can do that. And I was also like school, I was like exploring my sexuality in high schoo I thought it was normal, Like I thought that's what I do. We were the other girls Mormon too. No, no, okay, okay, no, my friends, I'm still performing arts high school and so a lot of my friends were like openly gay or bisexual. Like it was a very fluid like people would wear cow costumes of school on a random Tuesday and no one cared. Like That's how great of like an environment I was in. It was just very everyone was just loving and accepting, and I loved my high school experience for that and so I felt free to kind of do whatever I needed to do and explore, and everyone was just kind of open and free in certain ways. And but then I went to be Yu Idaho and my sexually, my sexuality went to die there, I think, and they put like that part of myself underwear on you, right the army. Well, that's after you get married in the temple or if you go on a mission, you get the underwear. Yeah, got it. So yeah, I met my ex husband when I was eighteen, my first semester of college, and we dated for a little bit over a year, which in Mormon time, that's kind of a long time because you're not supposed to have sex until you're married, and so they're like, well, how could you wait that long to have sex? And people think that you're messing up if you wait a certain amount of time, because they're like, there's no way you're not doing it. So you're not lying, Yeah, exactly, And you do have sex before you get married. The bishop, who is like the man presiding over the ward or the community of Mormons, he probably usually makes you wait to get married. But that didn't happen to me. We didn't have sex before marriage. We got married when I was twenty, right after I turned twenty and then yeah, we were married for twelve years. I had four kids before I turned twenty nine. Wow, And can I ask you something really quick?
Speaker 2: When there are two Mormons a man and a woman, because we have some experience with a Mormon couple from years ago that came on the show, But is there one Like in a regular relationship, there's one person who's driving the we can't do it, it's bad, and then there's one person that's like, let's just fucking do it. There's usually like one driver. Was he trying to or is he such a goodie boy that like he's not even trying?
Speaker 1: No, he he. I wouldn't say he's such a goodie boy. But I think we both wanted to get married in the temple really badly, and so we were both committed to not And also it was like kind of easy for me not to yeah, like I would yeah, Like I was like, oh, like I'm not like dying to do this with this. Yeah right, I'm good, I'm good. Yeah yeah. And then on our wedding night was when we both had sex for the first time, and baby number one, Yeah, not quite but yeah, it was just almost turned twenty three when I had my first baby, so it was a few years later. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then so you're living with four kids with this man, but you're probably so busy you don't even question it.
Speaker 1: No, No, but it's wild because I was having really intense death fantasies for years, and looking back, I'm like, Oh, it was my body, yeah, telling me that something is off. And even when we were first married, like I thought there was something wrong with me sexually, and I was like, well, I just need to go to like sex therapy. I've had really bad experiences with boys in high school and they just like took advantage of me and all these things, and so I was like, maybe I just like need to go to therapy and figure this out. And then I started like fantasizing about death, like him dying or me dying. And I didn't realize that that's what it was until I came out and I was like, oh, I wanted out of my body, out of my life because I wanted to experience fulfillment in sex but also in all aspects of my life as well. Are you talking to him about it? No? I didn't tell anybody I was so ashamed because my life looks perfect on paper. I had a husband, I had a big house, I had five star vacations, I had luxury cars, I had four kids. Everyone was healthy, everyone was good, like friend like a group of friends, like I had everything, and so I just felt so much shame and guilt about wanting to leave my life. And I didn't understand. Right, Oh, that makes so much sense totally.
Speaker 2: And so then four kids, are you like, how could I even leave my life?
Speaker 1: Like it's almost impossible? Yeah, yes, yeah, I mean I I never considered divorce. I only considered death really like that wasah, I know, but I find that, yeah, I've heard that.
Speaker 2: And then it takes like some situation to catalyze, like, oh wait, I want this other thing bad enough.
Speaker 1: So what happened? Yeah, so I so I have a catalyst. She's now my girlfriend. And I've never experienced this feeling, this love, like any of this before. But we actually met at a wedding. We were both in the bridal parties for the wifes who were getting married. She was in the one of the wife's side. I was on the other wife side, and I saw her and I was like, people look like that. Oh my god. Yeah, we're at the rehearsal dinner, so like all the bridal parties, like, we were getting to know each other, and her and I got to talking. She's also raised Mormon, and that's just like you have the same first language. When you meet people who are both who've been raised culturally like you in the same religion, high demand culty religion, you just have like this instant like oh my god, I get it kind of thing. And yeah, so that's what happened. And I was instantly just drawn to her and like, oh my god, like so beautiful. How do people look like this anyway? So then after that weekend, a bunch of the girls from the bridal parties came to my home in Salt Lake for Pride. This is last June.
Speaker 2: How are you guys all into this gay culture, gay wedding when you're Mormon?
Speaker 1: Like, was there also push back? Friend since fourth grade is gay and she came out too for twenty one twenty two and then yeah, so she was getting married and okay, and so they.
Speaker 2: Kind of just excuse it because it's like this is your old friend, Like you can't just not get my wedding Morgan's like.
Speaker 1: To it's it's complicated because the doctrine is like, no, you can't be gay, you can't go to heaven. But then Mormon people are not a lot of them that I know, are not like anti gay. They're not necessarily homophobic to your face. Maybe for me, like I've been loved on by my Mormon community since coming out, so and not all of them, I would say, but a lot. And yeah, so for me, like have my best friend be gay? It wasn't an issue for me at the time. But I actually left the Mormon Church before I came out, four years before I came out because of the homophobia. Wow, And I didn't recognize that I was seeing myself inside of what they were saying. And I felt really ashamed that it took me that long to leave when I had people that I deeply love who've been gay, and it took me so long to figure out, Oh, this is like harming people and the doctrine is not welcoming to them, and I subscribe to this and I'm a part of this, Like, it just took me a while to dismantle all of it and be like, I don't believe in this right and are.
Speaker 2: You telling your husband like I'm thinking about leaving or is it?
Speaker 1: Like how does that happen? Like you go to the wedding and then what Well, So this was four years before I met myself. Sorry we're backtracking a little bit. Yeah, four years before I had come out as gay. I left the Mormon Church because of the homophobia. Okay, there was a talk given. So in the Mormon Church, you're taught that these men speak for God, and one of them spoke about gay people, and basically it was like a message of proverbial violence. He was saying to point muskets towards those who threaten the church, and in the same breath was talking about gay people. So oh yeah, destroyed me. Like I was listening, I was like, oh, I love what he has to say. He's like so poetic. I'm going to listen to his talk. And I listened to it and I literally was on the floor for weeks, like I don't believe this. What Like he speaks for God? What do you mean? Like I don't, Yeah, this is not what I believe. Like no, And then I was like coming apart and I was newly pregnant with my fourth baby, which I actually think was kind of beautiful because she like, when you're pregnant, you're I don't know, like I'm very in tune spiritual, and like, I think she came to me to help guide me through that in certain ways, not to get like woo woo, but no yeah so yeah, but yeah, Like my husband saw me just not well and he told me he actually was like, you don't have to agree with him, and that I had never that blew my mind. I was like, wait, what do you mean. They speak for God, So if I don't agree with him, then I don't agree with God. And that was at the beginning of my whole deconstruction. I developed insomnia, OCD anxiety. People don't talk about that, like the physical reconcussions of leaving high demand religion. I also went to therapy and just completely deconstructed the Mormon Church and that took years, and I'm really glad that that happened, and then my gay awakening happened, because if that were to all happen at one time, I don't know if I would still be here. Yeah too too scary, Oh yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's also like you had to let go of that one thing.
Speaker 1: To get to the other totally, totally yeah. And I think even after coming out as gay, I went through another deconstruction of not just Mormonism, but society and how I was conditioned to be straight my entire life and politics and like just everything I was just like everything was another deconstruction when I came out as well. So it was I'm glad I got the first one over with though. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So by the time you met the woman at the wedding, were you already kind of thinking you're gay or was that like I hadn't even crossed your mind.
Speaker 1: None of it. And I didn't even identify as bisexual, even though it was obvious that I was not straight to a lot of people. I had never even like thought that in my head. I had kissed many girls, like at sleepovers in high school, just the two of us in bed making out. Like I never even thought that I couldn't be anything. But even all of these like crushes on my babysitters as a kid, you know, like dirty dancing with girls at the middle school dance and like lugging its like I don't want to go with the boys, I want to girls. It was kind of instances I still had I just didn't have the language. I didn't I just didn't realize it. And so at the wedding, her and I meet and I am just like taken by her immediately. And at the day after the wedding, there's actually a photo of us that I have of me like all over her on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she like, who is this straight girl?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: She?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Who is this straight girl hitting on me?
Speaker 1: No, She's used to it. She she's used to like girls, gay girls, gay boys, straight boys, Like she's because she's masked, and so people are like, I think, I'm like what am I when they what am I? Yeah? Yeah, you know boys, my boys. Well I have been with her when boys are hitting on her, so yeah, gay boys wild. So she's just one of those people. But yeah, so she's used to it. But then the next day after the wedding, we went to a winery the bridal parties did, and and her and I were like singing girls camp songs and We're just like having the best time, and I'm like, what's happening. I have a photo of us at the winery too, where I'm like totally like leaning into her. Oh, my god, this is hilarious. And she's single. Yeah, yeah, so and she's probably loving it. Oh yeah, she's having the time of her life. Yeah, she loves it. Yeah. And she's very funny and gregarious and outgoing and like sweet, and so it's easy to feel like it's easy for her to make you feel scene or that you're interesting because she that's just how she is with people. So yeah, I just was like, oh my god. So then after the wedding, I showed her photo to my sister, to my friends. I was like, she's so confusing, and they're like, yeah, she kind of is. Actually, yeah, what's happening to me? And then I literally was like thinking of our life together and how it would be to be with her, and I had never done that being married, like even with men, like being married to my husband. I had never dreamt of like a life with somebody else necessarily until then. And then I just like put that in like a box, deep down into the ocean, and like didn't even unpack it. I just was like, well, that was fun, and she's confusing and scares the hell out of me, but like, okay, what have you gone? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but did she live close enough, Like was there a moment of like I've got to figure out how to have a reason to see her, or like how do I.
Speaker 1: Do the next step too? Yes, so we all like a bunch of the girls from the wedding come to my home for Pride in June. January was the wedding. June is Pride in Salt Lake City. And meanwhile, you're.
Speaker 2: Just building a life in your mind. There's no community. But then I kind of like put it down. It was like a few months of that, and then in March, I think it was just like okay, like I gotta move on.
Speaker 1: I have four kids, like yeah, And so then she was one of the girls that came to my house for Pride. There was a bunch of girls from all over the country that came. I think there was probably like twelve of us, and she was one of them. And I hosted it at my house because I had a big enough home to have people stay. And this was my first Pride. I'd never been to Pride. I'd always been an ally, always like a big ally. Love the Games always posted about Pride month, like Love the Game. That's where I left the church. So I was like I'm out and out as an outlly. Oh my god, yeah yeah. And I was always really like jealous of lesbian couples are just like I was just like, oh my god, like you guys love each other, Like what do you mean, Like what does that even look like? Like what? Yeah, okay, can I live in your home? Yeah? Exactly? Like can I crawl with you guys and watch how this works? Because I just want to see, like what do you mean? But yeah, I she was one of them. I was terrified thought she was coming. I was like, no, no, no, you're too scary, Like I don't know, I don't know something's gonna happen. Probably I don't know what's gonna happen. So anyway, the whole weekend she's there, we are having the best time. Everyone is just like it's Pride, so everyone's like kissing each other and like we're all just like having such a good time. We have like themed nights, we're all dressed up. You know, it's so fun. And the whole weekend I want to sit next to her. I want to be near her. I want to get to know her. And she had no clue what no clue that I was.
Speaker 2: I was like, she thought you were just like the host, like being such a good host.
Speaker 1: I guess. So, yeah, this is like her perspective on it, because she just thought I was like a bored married woman. Okay, yes, she's like this, this is the tale as old as time for her kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So okay, another one, another, one, another one.
Speaker 1: Exactly like she's been people's like gay experiment, you know, and then she will be like, no, you're straight, like you're not gay. I've been with women who are gay and you're not, or yes, you're gay kind of thing. So anyway, we kissed on the last night of Pride, and it was like a three second kiss. And I've been kissing everybody, like everyone was kissing everybody, but this one obviously was different for me because I had already felt so incredibly drawn to her, and so it was like a three second kiss on the dance floor at a gay club the last night of Pride, and my entire body exploded like I had never felt that before.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh my god, my entire life, Oh my god, did she but it was only three seconds.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was. It was literally this.
Speaker 2: The hand movement, Okay, and then was she also like then what like, then it's the last night.
Speaker 1: Now you wasted the whole trip, Like oh no, I'm feeling this girl, but I was married for kids whatever, and the start of my deconstruction. I kissed her. And then two days later I called my friend and I was like sobbing. I was like I think I'm bisexual, and she was like, oh my god, okay, okay, and then I told her everything and I was like what do I do? Oh my god. So then it took me like a month. Well then like a week later I was like, wait, am I gay? And then my whole body like there was like this rush and this buzzing, and I did it that am I gay? Quizzes online I watched like the late life lesbian content that I could find, and it was just so scary, the scariest thing ever. I was like no, no, no, no, no no no no no no no, no, return to send her. I don't want this. I don't want this. No no, Like I have the perfect life, I don't want this. This is not Nope. I cannot choose to ignore this or choose to live this. That that is an impossible choice.
Speaker 2: Like right, I don't want this and your babies are still little at this point, how old?
Speaker 1: How old is currently? They're ten, eight, six and four. They're still little, so how old? Back then it was like yeah, okay, yeah, this was a year ago, so yeah they were yeah, yeah, yep, okay, so yeah. So it took me about a month to figure out what I wanted to say to my husband, and uh, I the longer that I kind of accepted that I I'm probably gay, the better it felt, or the more true it felt. I don't know if it better is the right word, but true, I guess, and and I the death fantasies and all of that started making sense, and the lack of certain fulfillment in certain parts of my life and my marriage made sense, and I no longer felt broken, and the death fantasies actually stopped right when I came because I was like, I want to live. I want to live and experience myself fully and authentically. I want this journey and I want to feel the feelings that I've been missing my entire life, and now I get to if I can just accept this and live in it, then I get to feel those Yeah, but I have to do the really scary part first, very scary part. Yes, and so a month or sorry, a year ago yesterday, actually I came out to my ex husband. Wow, and that was the scary. I was like skin and bones. I hadn't eaten for weeks. I probably lost like fifteen to twenty pounds in like three weeks. Damn. Yes, And it was just the most terrifying moment of my life. It's awful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the it's the worst that in the parents conversation to me was the worst, telling my mom and dad and telling Chris. But during that time, are you confiding in your partner that, like, I think I'm to do it, and is she kind of like do it for you not me?
Speaker 1: Or like what is that conversation? Yes? I actually came out to her two days before I came out to him, because her and I were kind of chatting after Pride. Little did she know that I was literally like coming apart and coming out to myself. She did not exactly exactly. We got to get to that story for sure, oh so much. So yeah, yeah, but yeah, no, I she didn't know. Like we were just texting us friends and it was a little bit flirty. But I I was just like losing my mind. I mean yeah, as you guys know, like it's just horrible to have a gay awakening later in life. Also the best thing to like truly the best thing. Yeah, yes, exactly exactly. And so yeah, I came out to her two days before and kind of shared with her like you were the reason why I figured this out, and even like from the when I saw you, like I just knew you. It's weird. I mean, I didn't share that with her until like much later, because we can't scare her. We don't want to scare her away. Yeah, but yeah, and so I came out to her two days before, and then I came out to him, and she never pressured me in any way to get divorced to be with her, nothing like that. It was all my decision ultimately to do what I did. She never was like choose me, pick me kind of thing. She just needed to know if she should leave or not, like if she should go on her merry way, or if she could still offer me support or whatever, wait for you to like get there, yes exactly, yeah, yeah, so she she was so helpful in my journey in every way obviously, just because she is who she is but she also was there with me through a lot of the really really hard parts, losing friends, losing like getting awful text messages from my in laws, you know, like she was there with me, not as someone We hadn't gone on a date, we weren't dating. She just was there for me. And in all of the ways. Did she have kids or no kids? No, she's been day since she was in her young twenties or knew she was day. So yeah, she's she's actually never been with a man, never really dated a man before. Okay, god, wow, then did she So you tell him?
Speaker 2: And then are you like waiting then to call her and be like, Okay, I fucking did it? And then did you have Like Melissa and I talk about how like after you do that, there are moments where you're like, oh my god, what the fuck did I just do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, shouldn't have done that?
Speaker 2: Like, oh I just blew up my life? And then would that freak her out?
Speaker 1: Or was she like you do you? I think what I told her from the very beginning that I was always going to be really honest with her because I didn't want her to feel like an experiment. I had. I have so much respect for her, and I was feeling things that I've never felt for somebody before already, even just after seeing her and then kissing her and then coming out to her and all of that, Like, I was developing feelings. And I ended up telling my ex that like, I'm falling in love with a woman. And I told him, you know, about the kiss and everything, and I was like, I don't know what to do, and he was like, well, you need to break up with her, like we need to make this, we need to try here. And it was very apparent to me that I would rather break up with him than her, and that was that. I mean, I hadn't even gone on a date with her. I was like, I'm fucking crazy, Like what do you mean, right? But I just it was more about me than her necessary Like I didn't. I had finally discovered this part of myself and it felt like such a big relief as loo as it did painful. And so I was like, if I break up with her, that to me is saying that I'm going to put that part of myself back in that box and shove it down again, and I can't survive that. I don't know if I can survive doing that, and so it was more about choosing me over anything else in that moment, and I was honest with her. I was like, I need more time. And you know, a week or two later, I separated from my ex. Damn, Okay, so you knew. Yeah, it's like, yeah, how has he been? Yeah, he has been. I think it was. I don't want to speak for him, but I think it was obviously really difficult for me to come out to him. I think it's embarrassing in a way for certain men.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it was hard for him to accept that I'm gay and not bisexual. I think that that was difficult, but there were I think it's also nuanced when you come out as gay, or at least for me and a lot of other women, typically there's a whole paragraph of reasons why the marriage didn't work, and then it's and then I'm also gay kind of thing, and that's kind of how I feel about it. And so I feel like it was going to end and I was going to figure out I was gay eventually, and this is how my story went.
Speaker 2: How about with the kids, Like, if you found like you separate and then I don't know how your marriage was, but is that like that's another kind of new thing where it's like you have them half the time, like I'm Moissa, and I grappled with that where it was like, God, I knew it was going to be hard, but there are these waves of like pain of like you're driving away.
Speaker 1: With my baby right now, but yes, I want Yeah. The most painful, Yeah, is the kids and the guilt and the feeling selfish and just turning their world upside down. It's awful. But the thing is is I was actually able to live in the basement apartment of the home that we owned together from August until May of this year. So amazing. Yeah, so I was. I was able to kind of be down there. Healed. Their lives didn't change it all was. I was just like kind of holding up and starting to rebuild. I started writing on substock in September and then came out publicly on my substock in November, and then I started making late in Life lesbian content after that and just trying to find the women who needed to hear very specific things about this experience because it is so nuanced or so just specific and so alienating. Yes, very isolating, And so I was like I need someone to speak to these certain experiences that I didn't see on the internet when I was coming out. So that's kind of how that went. And then I eventually was like, I have to move out of here, like I need my own space. I want to rebuild my life in my own area. And so I didn't know how I was going to make that work financially, but then I started my membership on Instagram and in the first month it did so well that I was able to sign a lease and move out. Amazing. Yeah, we talk about that too.
Speaker 2: When you start living authentically, your business, like just other parts of your life transform totally, totally because you would have never done that if you were married out with those kids, Like why would you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I tried a little bit. I was posting like fashion and makeup content on TikTok, and I was doing makeup and stuff, but it wasn't it wasn't fulfilling me, and I would start and then stop and start and stop. And so I've been making content for a long time. But then this kind of content that I'm making now, where I'm just vulnerable and speaking straight from my heart and gathering women together is exactly where I'm supposed to be, and I don't feel like it's a chore. I don't feel like it's work necessarily. I am so passionate about it and I feel so heart led, and I'm just obsessed with the women that I get to connect with because of the content that I make.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I would be remiss if I didn't ask you about googling scissoring on the side of the outted.
Speaker 1: And then I also want to know where you stand with the woman, like where if you guys are what that is.
Speaker 2: But let's start with scissoring, because I think that's what everybody really.
Speaker 1: Wants to talk about. I love talking about sex. By the way, so fun, So it is fun. Came out before i'd ever been with a woman. I had never been on a day with a woman. I'd never had sex with a woman. I never watched lesbian porn. I didn't even know what scissoring was. Like I knew I was gay, and then I started researching things and so I remember, Yeah, it was a few days after I came out, and I was like, well, I'm gonna like have sex with a woman. Yeah, And I was like, I don't even know like what what it is? And the only like thing I knew. I mean, I heard like scissoring in like straight space.
Speaker 2: Some people think that's an urban legend like that that doesn't really happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like who whatever kind of And I was like, what is it though, because like sounds fun? So yeah, I was still like skin and bones. I was still like not well after I'd come out, I was terrified. I was just riddled with fear. But I remember sitting on the bathtub waiting for the bath to fill up, and I googled scissoring positions and like just drawn images of them, and I was getting really turned on in the bathtub totally. I was like, wait, this is the thing, this is the thing. And then like even standing up and like rubbing on like the upper thigh like at the same time, I was just like I'm gonna do that. Yes, I do that.
Speaker 2: Oh was it always about the one babe? Was it always about the one girl?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Oh there's something so sweet about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's she's my love, like she's my I've never felt this before in my life, Like she's she lives in Vegas. I live in Salt Lakes she's gonna move here probably in the end of the year, like we're I am so deeply in love and uh, like just I've never I didn't know this is how people feel. I had no idea that people feel this way and that I get to that I get to feel it, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: And then also like I'm curious, we've we've we talked about this at a dinner thing that I had, our thing I had at my house.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago. But how do you.
Speaker 2: Define sex between two women with men?
Speaker 1: It's very obvious, how do you define I think it's just physical intimacy, sexual intimacy in general, like sex for us can be I don't know, ten minutes, or it can be three hours. It just I think it's I think maybe I don't really know how to define it. I think it's just physical intimacy, like it can be anything. Some people think it has to be like oral. I don't agree. Some people think it might have to be like straps. I don't agree. I think it's all of it. And yeah, I think I think it's an interesting thing. What we've been taught about sex, yea from a young age of like penis and vagina. Yeah, that sex, and it's like, no, actually, I think it's all of it, and I don't think. I think there's a lot of lesbian erasure actually because of that it's involved. Yeah, and people are like, well, you've never had sex because you've never had sex with a man, and it's like a lot of sex. No, yeah, you like that's just completely homophobic and just yeah, erases lesbian sex and erases all of that woman's sexual experience.
Speaker 2: Like I think, yeah, I've never heard that term lesbian erasure, but it is true. Yeah, if you define it that way, then it's like we're just over here not having sex, when actually the research shows that lesbians have more orgasms and have better sex, and hetero couples they have more storagisms, they're the happiest sex totally.
Speaker 3: And if we're not having sex, then we're getting into heaven.
Speaker 2: So with the added bonus, there you go.
Speaker 1: There you go exactly. I agree, And I like I look back at my marriage and then I you know, my friends who are in heterosexual relationships, and I'm like, oh, like it's just it's like it I lost, are we like heterosexual people sometimes can lose like the intimacy or like the like yeah, oh, the like ever, like sometimes we're just like rubbing like our lips on each other's jaws and neck while we're like having sex and it's like the most intimate, beautiful, like connecting thing ever and like saying like I love you, I'm in love with you kind of thing that's not like I don't know many straight people that are doing that. No, zero, this many yeah, yeah, And I don't want to be like heterophobic, but no, but we are. We are here, we are like, wait, you actually like it though, because we don't like it, you can't possibly like that. I don't please, I don't know. I don't believe you is yours. So how often do you guys get to see each other? It depends. Neither of us have traditional jobs, so we're able to see each other kind of. It used to be longer stretches. Now we try and see each other like every eight days. It used to be like fourteen to fifteen days. But it's just really hard, Like we when we leave, like we don't want to be without each other. We want to like build a life together and we want to be together. And so it's actually beautiful too to fall in love with someone long distance and to miss each other and like, yearn I have I make this. I have this playlist I made for her that I listen to all the time, and I just like miss her and like I'm already and we're not going to get married for a long time, but I am already riding my vows. Like I'm thinking, like I'm like, so, I'm like, okay, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To put that in there, and your gets out notes app and is like just taking the thoughts down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a three hour long wedding exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: But people do say that about long distance, like Melissa has been in some long distance relationships and that you do like develop in a way that's like you when you're present together, you're very present.
Speaker 1: Together, yes, and yeah, it's beautiful. It's it's a it's a beautiful thing that we get to, yeah, be really present together and we're like it's hot and heavy, but it's yeah, yeah, it's very like we we talk all day sometimes and like FaceTime or text and she goes to bed after I do, so she'll text me before she goes to bed with a good morning text. Every day and then I will text her and then she can wake up to her good morning text because she wakes up after me. So oh my god. Yeah, things like that. I love it. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're so excited for you, and thank you for coming on like you're a.
Speaker 1: Breath of fresh air having me so last minute. I'm so glad we did this. You guys are so fun to talk to. Where can people find you? So? I am on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook at Ramona kay Smith Okay, and yep, I'm on there every day. I answer my dms. I am always trying to support women coming out later in life. I actually have a couple of men DM and me too who are coming out later in life and your wives and yeah, so I've got to And then I have a few trans girls in my group that I host on Instagram. So yeah, it's it's I I love what I do. I love connecting with people, and I'm so glad we got to chat. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Can I have one more question though? Mormon you're no longer in the Mormon Church, but do.
Speaker 1: You still have faith? I? Yes, I do, Yes, I do, but it's it's not religious faith. Yeah, Yeah, I definitely believe in in something beyond the three D foreshore, and I'm really into woo wu. I love to meditate, I love I love too, I love like frequencies and vibrations and all of that stuff. So I'm really into all of that. But no, I don't have a religious faith. Okay, No, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Started doing the fire like you burn, you burn the things you're releasing, and then on the full moon you do the manifesting.
Speaker 1: I've just started that. There's actually a full un coming up pretty soon that I'm coming excited. Yeah, so I love it, Yes, go go it. I love all of that. I think it's it's there's definitely something to it, for sure.
Speaker 2: I would agree. Well, you've been a pleasure. Thank you so much. We'll tag you and people can find you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. This was so fun. Thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye bye. I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 3: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: That's Melissa M. E. L. I. S A and Ali A. L.
Speaker 2: L I at gmail dot com or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles