Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive where your curiosity fuels are exploration. You send us the sources and we distill them down to the essential insights, saving you time and expanding your knowledge.
Speaker 2: It's a great concept.
Speaker 1: Today we're tackling a programmer's Quick Start Guide to Web Development Quick JavaScript by David Metusek. Our mission, driven by your need for efficient learning, is really to extract the core concepts of JavaScript and the HTML dom that experienced coders can grasp rapidly and thoroughly.
Speaker 2: And we're using excerpt straight from the book itself exactly.
Speaker 1: We'll be drawing straight from the book honestly. The idea of making this corner stone of webin or activity more accessible, that's well, that's what gets me going.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and what's interesting right off the bat is who this book isn't for. Yeah, Metusk explicitly advises programming beginners to start with Python. That tells us a lot. It's laser focused on bringing established developers up to speed with JavaScript quickly. It assumes you already have a foundation in promming principles exactly.
Speaker 1: It assumes you know what a loop is, what a variable is, and it's not trying to be the definitive JavaScript Bible.
Speaker 2: Right, No, not at all. Matustik himself points readers looking for that really comprehensive reference towards Slannigan's JavaScript the Definitive Guide a classic, right, So quick JavaScript is about getting you hands on providing that crucial initial understanding of how JavaScript talks to and manipulates web pages through the document object model, the DOM. It's a targeted on ramp, and it's.
Speaker 1: A necessary on ramp because well, JavaScript holds this unique position, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It really does. It's the only language that web browsers understand natively.
Speaker 1: You can think about that for a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's ubiquity, isn't accidental. I mean sure, other languages like Coffee, script or dark can be used for web development, but they all need a translation step, a compilation into JavaScript before a browser can actually execute them.
Speaker 1: So JavaScript is fundamental. It's the base layer for client side interactivity. Okay, so JavaScript is the lingua franca of the browser. Now Metusk brings up something called strict mode pretty early on. What's the essential insight there? What's the gist?
Speaker 2: Think of you strict that exact string as like a safety switch for your JavaScript code. It was introduced in ekmascript twenty fifteen six. Okay, by putting that phrase at the beginning of your script or maybe inside of function, you're telling the JavaScript engine to enforce a stricter set of rules. It basically eliminates some potentially problematic or error prone parts of the language.
Speaker 1: Ah, cleaning up some historical baggage sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, METUSAC emphasizes that for all new JavaScript projects, using strict mode isn't just a good idea, it's really the recommended standard. Yeah, so for modern JavaScript you strict is less of an option and more of a safety net. You should just always deploy.
Speaker 1: That makes sense a way to build more robust code right from the start. Okay, let's get down to the bedrock, the core language fundamentals. Where does Matusek begin. Assuming we're coming from other language like Java or C plus plus.
Speaker 2: All, he starts with the absolute essentials. And yeah, if you're familiar with those languages, you'll find some immediate parallels for supperate comments. Okay, single line comments using and multiline comments enclosed in a selgy. Pretty standard stuff across the programming landscape.
Speaker 1: Right, no surprises there for experienced hods. What about the fundamental types of data we'll be working with in JavaScript, any quirks.
Speaker 2: Well. JavaScript has eight primitive data types. One initial thing to note, which can be a bit of a surprise, is that all numbers, whether they look like integers or decimals, are internally treated as double precision floating point numbers.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so no true integers under the hood unless you use bigant.
Speaker 2: Later exactly, except for bigot, which is newer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And another interesting historical tidbit, a real quirk applying the type of operator to noll actually returns the string object.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's weird.
Speaker 2: It is. It's a well known design flaw from the language's early days. It's inconsistent, but it's just something you have to be aware of, a historical hiccup.
Speaker 1: We just have to live with, got it. What else in the realm of data types?
Speaker 2: So beyond those basic primitives, we have user defined objects. Think of these as collections of named values or properties. You define them using curly braces with key value.
Speaker 1: Pairs, like dictionaries or maps and other languages.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Yeah, yeah, key is the property name, value is the value. You access these values, usually with dot notation object dot property name, which is very common, right, Or you can use bracket notation object property name. That's handy when the property name is dynamic like stored in a variable, or maybe contains characters not allowed in dot notation.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then provides some built in object types for common data structures I assume exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, JavaScript comes equipped with several built in object types. You've got a raise for ordered lists, sets for collections of unique items, maps for key value pairs, where keys can be anything.
Speaker 1: More flexible keys than plain objects.
Speaker 2: Right. Keys can be any type in maps, And of course there are building types for dates and regular expressions too. Let's maybe focus on a few key ones first, like arrays.
Speaker 1: Sure, how do we make arrays?
Speaker 2: Usually with square brackets with comma separated values inside there's zero indexed like in many languages, and you can even nest them to create multidimensional arrays.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now there's an older array constructor, but Modissek advises against using it. It has this peculiar behavior. If you pass just a single number, oh yeah, instead of treating an array with that number in it, it creates an empty array with that specified length. So called sparse array can lead to some unexpected results down the line.
Speaker 1: Sparse arrays sounds like a potential gotcha, So what's the better way?
Speaker 2: He recommends just using the array literals for direct initialization, and also array.
Speaker 1: Dot from array dot from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a static method, really powerful. You can convert iterable objects like set, strings, even maps into proper arrays. It's also a neat way to create a shallow copy of an existing array. Okay, handy, And one key takeaway about JavaScript arrays is their flexibility. They can hold a mix of different data types. You can have numbers, strings, objects all in the same array.
Speaker 1: That dynamic nature is a recurring theme with JavaScript, isn't it. What about sets? How are they useful?
Speaker 2: Sets are all about uniqueness their collections of values where each value can only appear once. Okay, and the order of elements isn't guaranteed. You create them using you set, often initializing them with an iterable like another array.
Speaker 1: In common operations.
Speaker 2: Key operations you'll use are has value to quickly check if a value exists, add value to insert a new value if it's already there, nothing happens, which is.
Speaker 1: The point, maintains uniqueness exactly.
Speaker 2: And delete value to remove a value. Delete actually returns true if the value is found and removed false otherwise.
Speaker 1: Unique unordered collections useful for things like removing duplicates quickly. Now, regular expressions always a bit tricky. What's the initial take here?
Speaker 2: Mighty Sick introduces them as patterns enclosed and forward slashes like pattern okay, and these can be followed by optional flags to modify their behavior, like g is for global matching finding all occurrences, not just the first one, and he makes the match case insensitive standard flags. Yeah. A key concept within rejecks is capturing groups. You create these by putting parts of the pattern in parentheses right to.
Speaker 1: Pull out specific parts of the match precisely.
Speaker 2: These groups are numbered from left to right, starting with one. Group zero usually represents the entire match, and these captured groups are incredibly useful. For instance, in a string's replace method, you can use one dollar, two dollars, et cetera in your replacement string to refer back to whatever those groups captured.
Speaker 1: That bag referencing is really powerful. What about common string methods that use regular expressions?
Speaker 2: Several core string methods really leverage rejects. Search rejects gives you the index of the first match, or make it a one. If no match, replace rejects replacement substitutes matches. If you use the G flag, it replaces all occurrences.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Match read returns an array with the matches. If you use G it's an array of all matched substrings. Without G it's the first match plus any captured groups.
Speaker 1: AH different behavior.
Speaker 2: With G yep. Then there's match all pattern, which, especially with a G flag, returns an iterator of all matches. Really handy for four of flups and split regixt divides a string into an array of substrings using the rejects pattern as the delimitter. Plus there are methods directly on the rigix object itself, like exec string, which finds an next match in tracks position, and test ring, which is simpler, just returns true or false if there's a match.
Speaker 1: Okay, that gives us a solid initial grasp. Let's move on to naming things identifiers. What are the basic rules?
Speaker 2: Identifiers in the names for variables, functions, etc. Must start with a letter, an underscore, ick, or a dollar sign.
Speaker 1: No numbers at the start.
Speaker 2: Correct subsequent characters can be letters, digits, underscores, or dollar signs by convention. Variable and function names usually start lowercase and use camel case like user profile.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Class names typically start uppercase pascal case like user profile, and constants are often written in all uppercase letters.
Speaker 1: Standard conventions pretty much.
Speaker 2: Of course, you can't use javascripts reserve keywords let, const, iff, et cetera as identifiers.
Speaker 1: Clear and consistent conventions are always helpful. Now, when we declare variables, JavaScript gives us let and const. What's the core difference a programmer needs to know? So?
Speaker 2: JavaScript is dynamically typed, meaning you don't declare the type, and variables can hold different types over time. You declare variables using let, you can initialize them then or assign a valulator.
Speaker 1: Okay, let is for changeable variables.
Speaker 2: Right. Cost is used to declare constants. Unlike lead. You must assign a value to a const when.
Speaker 1: You declare it, and it can't be reassigned.
Speaker 2: The binding can't. Yes, yeah, but here's a key point. If the cost variable holds an object or an array, the contents of that object or array can still be modified.
Speaker 1: Ah, So const protects the ass assignment, not the value itself. If it's mutable.
Speaker 2: Exactly, const means the binding is constant, not necessarily that the value is immutable.
Speaker 1: Got it let for reassignable variables, costs for variables intended to hold a constant reference. Now, how do we actually operate on these values? Key operators?
Speaker 2: JavaScript offers a pretty familiar set arithmetic plus kein ivelo percent, remainder and exponentiation, boolean logic andy andy and di enda nuts fame comparisons any dotic loose inequality, US strict inequality, string concatenation uses plus rocks, assignment operators plus and so on, the usual shorthand unary plus and ddea, and the ternary operator condition value false value false for concise conditionals.
Speaker 1: Okay, seems familiar. Any particular pitfalls or best practices with these operators in JavaScript?
Speaker 2: Yes, a couple of really crucial ones. First, be very cautious comparing floating point numbers for exact equality using in.
Speaker 1: Ah the classic floating point.
Speaker 2: Issue exactly due to their internal representation, things might not compare is equal when you expect them to. Matusex suggests a workaround. Convert them to strings with a fixed number of decimal places using to fixed in, and then compare the strings.
Speaker 1: Interesting workaround what's the second big one?
Speaker 2: Understanding the difference between in at and endear. This is huge in JavaScript, at least versus strict right. The loose equality attempts type coercion. It tries to convert operands of different types before comparing them. This leads to some surprising, often undesirable results like undefined null is actually.
Speaker 1: True WHOA okay.
Speaker 2: Whereas the strict equality compares both the value and the type without any type coercion, It's almost always the safer and preferred choice.
Speaker 1: So rule of thumb, use triple.
Speaker 2: Equals generally yes. Also, remember object comparison. When you compare objects including arrays and functions with eat or or, you're checking if they are the exact same object in memory now that they have the same.
Speaker 1: Contents right so VERI one would be false.
Speaker 2: Correct because there are two distinct array objects even though they look the same and related to that object. Assignment creates references. If you assign OBJA to OBJB, both variables point to the same object, modifying through OBJA effects OBGB.
Speaker 1: Those are critical distinctions, especially loose versus strict equality and object identity versus value. Now, how do we structure our code using statements.
Speaker 2: Again, if you're coming from Java or C plus plus wave, much of JavaScript's statement syntax will feel very familiar. You have standard variable assignments, expressions used for side effects like function calls, blocks of code grouped by curly braces to define scope, and the usual control flow e false for conditions while up and double loops, and the four loop for iteration. Okay, one small detail. The initialization part of a for loop in modern JavaScript typically uses lead to declare the loop, counter scoping it nicely to just the loop. Good practice, and JavaScript switch statement is maybe a bit more flexible the case. Clauses can evaluate expressions, not just constant values, so.
Speaker 1: The fundamental control flow is quite similar. What about statements that are more unique to JavaScript or have specific nuances.
Speaker 2: There are a few that stand out. Four of specifically designed for iterating over the values of iterable.
Speaker 1: Objects, like a raise sets strings.
Speaker 2: See exactly A ray sets map strings. Plain user defined objects aren't itterable by default, that you can make them miserable.
Speaker 1: Okay, And four in fian iterates over.
Speaker 2: The property names or keys of an object. Yeah, you can use it with user defined objects. A raise where it iterates index names as strings. Even strings iterating indices, but be aware it iterates over inherited innumerable properties too, and it might skip missing elements and sparse arrays. So it has its uses, But Forurian is often preferred for iterating values in collections.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, what else?
Speaker 2: The throw statement lets you intentionally raise an exception. Interestingly, in JavaScript you can throw a value of any type, not just specific.
Speaker 1: Air object, really any type.
Speaker 2: Yep, And there isn't a strict distinction like checked versus unchecked exceptions found in some other languages.
Speaker 1: And how do we handle these thrown values, these exceptions.
Speaker 2: That's where the tricatch finally block comes in code that my throw goes in the try block. Standard If an exception happens, control jumps to the catch block. You can have an optional variable in catch to hold the throne value. Okay, and the finally block, if you include it, always executes after trying cash whether an exception occurred or not. Great for cleanup makes sense. An interesting quirk If try or catch has a return, break or continue, its execution is sort of paused until the finally block finishes.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, finally really means finally pretty much.
Speaker 2: JavaScript also has labeled statements label name that statement. They're mainly useful with break and continue inside nest of loops or switch statements. Break label name exits the specific label loop or switch continue label name jumps to the next iteration of the labeled loop.
Speaker 1: Allows for more fine grained control in nested structures.
Speaker 2: Exactly and Finally, the return statement sends a value back from a function. If there's no return, or just return, the function implicitly returns undefined functions mainly used for side effects are sometimes called procedures.
Speaker 1: That's a good overview of JavaScript's control flow. Let's move on to functions. A cornerstone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the most common way to define what is function? Function name, param one, PERM.
Speaker 1: Two standard syntax.
Speaker 2: When working in HTMOL, it's generally good practice to define functions in script tags inside the head. This ensures they're defined before any code in the body tries to call them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Functions can be recursive call themselves. They can be nested inside other functions. Variables declared inside, including parameters, have local scope, but functions can access variables from their outer environment up to the global scope unless shadowed.
Speaker 1: Locally standard lexical scoping right.
Speaker 2: One key concept to knowe is.
Speaker 1: Hoisting ah hoisting.
Speaker 2: Function declarations and variables declared with var the older way are conception moved to the top of their scope during compilation.
Speaker 1: So you can sometimes call a function before its definition appears.
Speaker 2: In the code. Technically yes, but it's generally much better practice to define functions before you use them, just for clarity and predictability.
Speaker 1: Hoisting another one of JavaScript's interesting behaviors to keep in mind. Now, testing is crucial. Does Matischik's touch on that.
Speaker 2: He does include a brief introduction. He mentions using the Mocha testing framework and the Chai assertion.
Speaker 1: Library common tools yeah for.
Speaker 2: Writing and running tests, often within a browser. For client side code. He outlines the basic structure describe blocks to group tests, it blocks for individual test cases with descriptive names inside it. Use assertions from Chi's assert object to check if your code behaves as expected. He shows examples like assert dot is true, assert dot is false, assert dot equal for loose equality.
Speaker 1: AH, loose again. Is there a strict one?
Speaker 2: Yes, assert dot strict equal and not equal not strict equal. He also mentions assert dot org approximately for comparing floats within a tolerance.
Speaker 1: Good for those floating point comparisons we talked about exactly.
Speaker 2: He briefly covers setting up Mocha and Chai in an HTML page, maybe using CD in links, and initializing Mocha to run the tests.
Speaker 1: A quick taste of the testing landscape. Good to know it's covered. Now the book moves into JavaScript in more detail. What key enhancements and deeper concepts does it explore there?
Speaker 2: Right? This section builds on the basics getting nuance in introducing more advanced features. It starts with destructuring.
Speaker 1: Destructuring I like the sound of that.
Speaker 2: It's really elegant. A concise way to extract values from objects and arrays and assign them directly to variables you use for objects and for arrays on the left side of.
Speaker 1: An assignment, so you can pull out just the pieces you need exactly.
Speaker 2: You can pull out specific properties or elements. You can even rename properties during extraction, like let username nice, and you can provide default values if a property might be missing nice. It's especially powerful in function parameter lists. You can destructure an object passed as an argument right in the parameter definition.
Speaker 1: Destructuring sounds like a great tool for cleaner, more readable code. What about revisiting data types? With a more in depth look any more nuances.
Speaker 2: Yes, numbers again reiterated. They're mostly sixty four bit i ee seven hundred and fifty four floats except for bigot. He mentions the special values infinity, infinity, and nan not a number right nan, and the is finite function to check for actual finite numbers. Also useful constants like number dot mn value, number dot x value and number dot epsilon that tiny difference.
Speaker 1: Value okay, strings.
Speaker 2: Key point is immutability. Once created, you can't change individual characters. You can access characters by index read only. He details escape characters like n and unicode escapes.
Speaker 1: Too right, and symbols you mentioned those briefly.
Speaker 2: Symbols are unique, immutable primitive values oh created with symbol even symbol desks create two different.
Speaker 1: Symbols guaranteed uniqueness. What are they used for?
Speaker 2: Often used as unique property keys on odds. Maybe to add metadata or behavior without risking name collisions with other properties or future language editions.
Speaker 1: Clever. What about advanced array and set operations for arrays?
Speaker 2: He mentions unshift and shift for adding removing from the beginning, but notes they can be less efficient than push pop. At the end, he also highlights Han's own property. It's a reliable way to check if an object, including an array actually has a property directly on itself, not inherited, and useful for distinguishing real elements from undefined slots in sparse arrays. Such JavaScript doesn't have built in methods for standard set operations like union, intersection, difference. Oh really yeah, but metwusex shows how you can implement them yourself, using the spread syntax to convert sets to arrays and then using array methods like filter along with the sets as method.
Speaker 1: So a bit of manual work for those. What about maps and weak maps? How do they differ?
Speaker 2: Maps are key value collections where keys can be any data type, objects, function primitives. Key equality is based on identity.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: He cautions that if you use object literals as keys at one and ad on one are different keys because they're different objects in memory, you need to use the same object instance right.
Speaker 1: Identity matters.
Speaker 2: Week maps week maps are specialized. Keys must be objects and they're held.
Speaker 1: Weekly weekly meaning.
Speaker 2: Meaning if the object used as a key is no longer referenced anywhere else, it can be garbage collected and the entry automatically disappears from the weak.
Speaker 1: Map ah for memory management.
Speaker 2: Exactly because of this week, maps aren't iterable and have limited methods get said has delete. Their state can be nondeterministic due to garbage collection timing.
Speaker 1: Niche but potentially powerful. Let's move to promises fundamental for async JavaScript.
Speaker 2: Yes, promises handle results of asynchronous operations like network requests. You create one with new promise function resolve, reject.
Speaker 1: The executor function right it.
Speaker 2: Gets resolved, and reject functions You call resolvevol with the result on success, reject with an error on failure. Promises capture their surrounding environment. When created. You handle the results using then unfulfilled, unrejected or then unfulfilled catch unrejected.
Speaker 1: Chaining the dot chain is key very much.
Speaker 2: So it's how you sequence asynchronous actions.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about the finer points of type conversions coercion.
Speaker 2: JavaScript does a lot of automatic conversion coercion. You can also do explicit conversions using number straing, boolean big, and parson pars float. He warns against using new with number string or boolean That creates wrapper objects not primitives, which can cause confusion.
Speaker 1: Good tip.
Speaker 2: All objects have a toe string method. Good practice to override it. For custom objects, parsint and parse float try to parse numbers from the start of a string, stopping at the first non numeric character, or non numeric after a decimal.
Speaker 1: For pars float, good to know how they handle non numeric parts. The book lists keywords too. Any key advice there besides.
Speaker 2: The obvious don't use keywords as names. He suggests avoiding older reserved words, even if not strictly enforced. Now built in object property method names, htmail, element attribute names and event handler names basically choose descriptive names that won't clash.
Speaker 1: Sound advice. Now you mentioned good and bad operators earlier, can you elaborate?
Speaker 2: He discusses operator precedence, order of operations, and associativity for operators with same precedence. There's a table outlining this. For key operators, he highlights logical and A and R as short circuiting.
Speaker 1: Meaning they don't always evaluate the second part exactly.
Speaker 2: And aaran stops if the left side is falsey yeah stops if the left side is truthy. They often return the value of the operand that determine the result not necessarily true orful right.
Speaker 1: The Y five default value trick yep.
Speaker 2: Then there's the nullish coalescing operator. Yeah. It returns the right operad only if the left one is null or undefined. Otherwise it returns the left operand.
Speaker 1: So it's stripter than which triggers on any falsey correct.
Speaker 2: He stresses using parentheses when mixing with milan or due to precedence rules. As for bad operators, he references Crockford's JavaScript The good parts. For instance, the prefixed postfix increment, plus plus and decrement operators are sometimes discouraged. Why is that they can make code less clear, especially when used inside complex expressions. Using plus one or nakeld one is often more explicit and less aero prone.
Speaker 1: Readability and avoiding subtle bugs good principles. Let's revisit functions more details in this section.
Speaker 2: Definitely several ways to define them. The standard function declaration function expressions. Assigning function to a variable can be anonymous or named. The function constructor takes code as strings. Generally bad idea right, avoid that one and erow functions which have concise syntax and crucially lexical this binding.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this right.
Speaker 2: All functions have a name property. JS tries to infer it parameter versus argument distinction parameters and definition arguments in the call JS doesn't enforce matching counts. Extra ARGs ignored missing ones are undefined.
Speaker 1: Flexible, but potentially error prone if you're not careful.
Speaker 2: True. The older arguments object array like list of all orgs and traditional functions is mentioned, but rest parameters dot org are generally preferred.
Speaker 1: Now okay.
Speaker 2: Key concept functions are first class data. Assign them to variables, put them in a raise, pass them as arguments callbacks. A function's toastring returns its source code. Its length property is the number of declared parameters excluding rest.
Speaker 1: Functions as values is super powerful it is He revisits recursion with a factorial example.
Speaker 2: You can add properties directly to a function object itself, like myfunk dot counter equals zero as an alternative to globals sometimes and he briefly mentions dot call, dot ply and dot bind for controlling this value during invocation.
Speaker 1: Right controlling execution context. Now generators function what's the deeper doug.
Speaker 2: Generators are special functions that can pause and resume. Defined with function calling one doesn't run it, but returns a generator object, which is an iterator inside the yield keyword returns a value and pauses execution. Calling next on the generator object resumes it until the next yield or the end, and next returns an object like the yielded value done false. When the generator finishes, reaches an end or hits a return, next returns value final value or undefined done through. Once done, it's done, can't restart it, Nope. They're great for creating custom iterators easily. He shows a simple half end generator example.
Speaker 1: Generators sound useful for sequences and that ties into iterators and iterables exactly.
Speaker 2: An object is iterable if it implements the iterable protocol. That means having a method keyed by the special symbol symbol dot iterator. This method must return an iterator object which has a next method. Often the easiest way to implement symble dot iterator is just to make it a generator function. Mitisek shows an example making an object with start, step and iterable using a generator.
Speaker 1: So that's the magic behind how four off works on different things. Finally, let's really get into the details of objects themselves.
Speaker 2: Right, objects are fundamental collections of key value pairs. Create them with literals key dot value meat keyser useles, strings or symbols, access with dot, a bracket and notation.
Speaker 1: We covered the shorthand.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you have a variable let make toyota and want an object make toyota, you just write that make nice shortcut cool. Checking for properties, the in operator checks if a property exists, including inherited ones. Fore end loops over innumerable property names including inherited okay. Creating objects literals, object adding properties dynamically, constructor functions with new using this inside yeah and object dot create prototype, which creates a new object with a specific prototype you provide.
Speaker 1: And copying objects still just.
Speaker 2: References, still just references. Assignment copies the reference, not the object. Modifying one effects the other if they point to the same object. Methods are just functions that are are properties of an object. Concise syntax and literals.
Speaker 1: My method, got it now? This keyword always a fun one has it explained here.
Speaker 2: Its value is determined by how a function is called, the call site evaluated at run time. Inside a method called like UBJ dot method, this is usually object. In a constructor called with new, this is the new object being created. Makes sense in a regular function called directly, not as a method in non strict mode, this is the global object window and browsers, but in strict mode it's undefined.
Speaker 1: AH. Strict mode changes things again.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a function inside another function. This inside the inner one follows the regular function rules. It doesn't automatically inherit the outer this unless unless it's an erowfunction. Erofunctions capture this value from their surrounding lexical scope. They don't have their own this binding.
Speaker 1: That's a key difference for EROW functions.
Speaker 2: Event handlers femail event handlers. This usually refers to the htmail element that triggered.
Speaker 1: The events, so context is everything for this. You've mentioned prototypes a lot. Let's nail that down.
Speaker 2: Every JavaScript object has an internal link to another object, its prototype. You can get it with object dot get prototype. When you access a property, If the object doesn't have it directly, JavaScript looks at its prototype. If it's not there, it looks at the prototypes prototype, and so on up the chain.
Speaker 1: The prototype chain exactly.
Speaker 2: Until it finds the property or hits the end where the prototype is null. Object dot prototype is the base for most objects. Setting a property always happens directly on the object, never modifies the prototype chain directly like.
Speaker 1: That and properties have hidden attributes descriptors Yes, properties.
Speaker 2: Have attributes like innumerable, does it show and foreign writeable? Can its value be changed? And configurable? Can it be deleted or its attributes changed? You can control these with object dot defined property.
Speaker 1: Fine grained control. Now, how do classes fit in with prototypes?
Speaker 2: Classes from e S twenty fifteen are mostly syntactic sugar over the existing prototype based inheritance. They provide a clear or more familiar syntax from many programmers, a blueprint kind of my class constructor. Defining a class essentially creates a constructor function and adds methods to its prototype property new my class calls the constructor this inside refers to the instance, and inheritance uses the extends keyword. Class subclass extends superclass. The subclass prototype is linked to the superclass prototype inheriting methods. You can override methods if no extends it implicitly extends object.
Speaker 1: So classes organize the prototype stuff. Can we still mess with prototypes directly with classes?
Speaker 2: Yes, The my class dot prototype object holds the method definition shared by all instances. You can still add methods directly to my class dot prototype after the class definition and all instances will get it. Object prototype of instance still works. Object I creates still works. The underlying mechanism.
Speaker 1: Is prototypes that clarifies the class prototype relationship. Now JavaScript evolves. How do we handle older browsers that don't support new features?
Speaker 2: Two main tools, transpilers and polyfills. Transpilers like Babble convert newer syntax hegany aerofunctions classes into older compatible syntax. Polyfills are pieces of code that provide implementations for features missing in older environments, like if a browser doesn't have the raate oup prototype dot includes method, you can include a polyfil that adds it.
Speaker 1: So transpilers handle syntax. Polyphils handle missing functions objects exactly.
Speaker 2: Services like polyfil that io can even serve only the polyfills needed by the specific browser making the request, but you need to be mindful of download size.
Speaker 1: Essential tools for cross browser compatibility. Last language topic before the DOM.
Speaker 2: Json json JavaScript object notation lightweight text format for data exchange, very common.
Speaker 1: How do we use it in JS?
Speaker 2: Built in methods? Jsonstring ifi object converts a JS object value into a Jason string. Json dot parse jsonstring converts a jsonstring and do a JAS object value.
Speaker 1: Simple enough any limitations.
Speaker 2: Yes, Functions, symbols undefined are generally lost or become null During stringification, dates become ISO format strings, infinity and nan become null. Non innumerable properties and symbol keys are ignored, so.
Speaker 1: It's mainly for plain data.
Speaker 2: Structures pretty much. You can customize serialization by defining it low chasm method on an object JSON dot string offy will call that if it exists.
Speaker 1: Good to know. Okay, let's shift gears to client side JavaScript and the DOM. This is where it gets visual exactly.
Speaker 2: The rest of the book focuses on guys and the browser and using the DOM to interact with the page. It starts with some essential HTML review right the structure HML page is a text file with tags container tags, tag content tag, empty tags like BR basic structure doctri type HDL HTML head with title body. Tags can have attributes name value like AID HTML tags attributes are case in sensitive, but JS is case sensitive, CSS handles is styling and.
Speaker 1: How do we connect our jawas script to the HTML.
Speaker 2: A few ways embedcode directly in script tags in header body, Yeah, link to external JS files using script as rc URLJS script usually in head if you use src code inside the tags is ignored.
Speaker 1: External files are generally better for organization.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially for larger scripts. You can also use evan handler attributes like on click JS code directly on HTML elements, though separating JS is often cleaner. Function definitions best in head, scripts and body execute as the page loads. NoScript provides fallback content if JS is off.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, the dom itself a tree of nodes.
Speaker 2: Think of it as a live interactive map or tree, representing everything on the page. Elements, attributes, text. JavaScript can read and change this tree. Any changes JavaScript makes to the damber reflected immediately in the browser window. That's the core of dynamic web.
Speaker 1: Pages, a live tree we can modify. Let's start building things widgets and events. Buttons.
Speaker 2: The two skip covers buttons. First two ways input type, button value click me or button click me button. The button tag is newer, more flexible, can contain images, et cetera. Requires a closing tag. JS can change button text value for input inner HTML for button.
Speaker 1: How do we find these buttons in our code?
Speaker 2: Need to find the widgets document dot G element B I E E finds the single element with a unique ID. Document dot G elements be by tag name. Tagname gets a live collection of all elements with that tag.
Speaker 1: Get element by i'd for specifics, get elements by tag name for groups text fields for user input use.
Speaker 2: Input type text can set size for a visible width value for initial text. To get user input, find the element again by ID and read its dot value property in JavaScript simple enough? How do HTML forms fit in form acts as a container for related inputs, usually for submitting data. Submit buttons type submit, trigger, submission, reset buttons type reset clear the form plain buttons type button do nothing by default. A button inside a form default to type submit if unspecified. Okay forms define a scope for the name attribute on inputs. This name identifies the data when submitted. I must be unique on the whole page. Forms can't be nested. Pressing it entering an input field often submits the form if there's a submit put.
Speaker 1: Forms group inputs for submission. How about validation? Making sure input is.
Speaker 2: Okay HTAM all five added built in validation attributes required, makes a field mandatory, pattern rejects checks input against a regular expression. Placeholder text gives a hint, and.
Speaker 1: Built in checks are nice.
Speaker 2: Custom validation use the unsubmitted vent handler on the form tag, set it to return my function. If my function returns false, submission is canceled. Inside the function. You can use event dot prevent to fall two.
Speaker 1: Client side validation gives quick feedback what happens on successful submission.
Speaker 2: The action you URL attribute on the form says where to send data, method says how Usually get or post. Get appens data to URL, post sends it in the request body.
Speaker 1: Okay, any other useful text widgets.
Speaker 2: Input type email, checks for at, input type, numbers, spinners, input type earl, basic, url, check textteria for multiline input daytime inputs exist, but support varies.
Speaker 1: Good range. What about non text inputs, radio, buttons, checkboxes.
Speaker 2: Input type radio used in groups with the same name. Selecting one d selects others in the group. Input type checkdocs are independent selections others. Input type image src images, submit button, input type color colorpicker, input type hidden data smitted but not visible, input type range slider.
Speaker 1: Lots of input types. Now how do these react to users? Events?
Speaker 2: Events are actions user clicks, keypresses, pageloads handled by attributes like on click JS code. Event names are a lowercase in HTML attributes on click often CamelCase and JS on click common events dot onload onload for bodyframes, mouse dot on, click on, be able to click on mouse down on mouse up on mouseover on mouse out on mass move, pointer events on pointer out, unify, mouse touch, focus, dot on, focus on, blur, change on, change on select form, dot on, reset on submit return false, camp image, dot on a board on error, keyboard dot donkey down on keypress, event dot key on KIAP.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of events. What's in the event object?
Speaker 2: The event object pass to Handlers have info like event dot type ag click, and event dot target the element.
Speaker 1: That triggered the A M bubbling. What's that?
Speaker 2: When an event happens on an element, it bubbles up the DOM tree. First the target handles it, then its parent, then its parent's parent, all the way up.
Speaker 1: So a click on a button also clicks the div it's inside and the body potentially yes.
Speaker 2: Each ancestor gives a chance to handle the event unless a handler stops propagation. It's useful for event delegation, handling events for many children by listening on a parent efficient.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's dive deeper into using the dom manipulating that tree right.
Speaker 2: Starts with a window object. It's the global object. In browsers, document is actually a property of window.
Speaker 1: So window, dot, document and document are the same.
Speaker 2: Usually yes, because window is the global scope, window represents the browser. Window itself has properties like location, kurt url can change it to navigate history, back, forward, navigateator, browser info.
Speaker 1: What about methods on window.
Speaker 2: User interaction, dot alert, proft, confirmed timers, dot delay runs funk once after delay milliseconds, set interval, fagigible runs funk repeatedly every interval milliseconds. Both return IDs to use with clear timeout or clear interval to stop them. My two sex shows using set timeout with window dot location for a time to redirect.
Speaker 1: Timers are key for dynamic stuff. What about finding nodes Beyond the basics, we.
Speaker 2: Have document dot body the body element, document the document element to the HTML element. More finding methods. Document dot elements by class name gets elements by class. Document dot query selector gets the first element matching a CSS selector.
Speaker 1: H ah, CSS selectors powerful very.
Speaker 2: And document dot query selectoral selector gets all elements matching the CSS selector, returning a static notalist. Much more flexible.
Speaker 1: Targeting so we can find things precisely. How do we create and add new things to the dawn.
Speaker 2: Document dot create element tag name creates a new element node, set its tech content with no dot text content equals text. Add attributes with element dot set attribute name value.
Speaker 1: Okay, create the node, How to put it on the page.
Speaker 2: Use methods on the parentode where you want to add it. Parentode dot penchild child node adds it at the end. Parentnode dot insert before new nodes. Existing node inserts before another child parentnode dot remove child noode removes it parentode dot replaced child new noode. Old nodes swaps one for another.
Speaker 1: Standard premanipulation copynotes.
Speaker 2: No dot clone node deep. If deep is true, it copies the node and everything inside it. If false, just the node itself got it.
Speaker 1: What about properties and methods specific to element objects.
Speaker 2: Elements have element dot tag name oopcase element dot inner HTML get sets the HTML content inside the element element dot or HTML get sets the elements full HTML, including its own tags. Element dot attributes is a collection of attribute nodes. Element dot class name is the string of classes. Element dot class list is better a list object with ad remove toggle contains methods for classes. Element dot style accesses inline styles.
Speaker 1: Classless sounds much easier for managing classes elements specific methods.
Speaker 2: They have their own get elements by class name, querity selector query selectoral that search only within that element's descendants. Also element dot, get attribute, element dot or room attribute, and element dot insert adjacent HTML where htmail inserts HTML strings relative to the element before begin after begin before whatever.
Speaker 1: Insert adjacent HTML seems handy for adding chunks of HTML. What about text nos character data.
Speaker 2: Textnodes represent the actual text content. They have properties like data, the text, and length. They have methods like a pen data delete, data, replaced, data, and removed to manipulate or remove the text.
Speaker 1: Okay, the show tree example. What does that illustrate?
Speaker 2: It's a practical demo. Usually a button click triggers JS that recursively traverses the dom tree from document dot body down. It logs info about each node name, attributes content to the console. It really helps visualize that tree structure and how JS can walk through it.
Speaker 1: Seeing that tree logged out makes the dom much more concrete. It sounds like, as the book's afterward notes, this is a strong foundation for just a starting point.
Speaker 2: Absolutely my t sake. It's clear it's not exhaustive, it's an entry point for much more learning in the vast world of JavaScript and webdev.
Speaker 1: Well that brings us towards the end of this deep dive. My key takeaway from quick JavaScript is its effectiveness for experienced programmers needing a fast, targeted intro to JS and the DOM. But you absolutely have to understand its scope, who it's for, and what it deliberately leaves out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's fascinating reflecting on some of those Jamas specific things we hit on, like it being the only native browser language that type of null oddity, and the whole prototype system underpinning objects, and even the newer class syntax.
Speaker 1: And for you, our listener, we hope this dive gave you that quick yet thorough understanding you needed, hitting the essentials without getting bogged down in exhaustive detail.
Speaker 2: We definitely encourage you now to explore the areas that sparked your interest. Was it promise and async? Yeah, dug deeper there, dom manipulation for interactivity, start building things robust code, maybe look more into testing with Mocha and Chai.
Speaker 1: And a final thought to leave you with, think about JavaScript's journey. A language often described as being maybe hastily put together initially has become this absolute powerhouse driving modern web experiences. What does that evolution tell us about the balance between say, initial design perfection versus continuous adaptation and community driven growth and technology Something to ponder. Thanks for joining us on this deep dive.