Speaker 1: Don't remember. Oh, mister plow that's my name. That name again is mister Plow.
Speaker 2: Well, John Q, drive away. Here's our number. No, we play the waiting game. The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos four finger discounted.
Speaker 1: There's a special I should let you say it. We started recording five minutes is like me saying this is a special occasion having me. I mean for this vision, you could say it. Okay, well sorry, do you want to introduce you? Introduce yourself? Oh hi, I'm comedian Aaron Gox. Some know me as Goxy, but our.
Speaker 3: Very first guest to ever have in the studio in the in person for figure discount.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Embarrassingly presented myself, but I just got really excited. But no, thank you very much. I didn't actually know that. So, yeah, it's great to be a part of history game history. Because you did give me the option of if I wanted it, of remote and I was like, no, I'm coming in. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've tried all the way down the train. You rode a bike. I was like, oh man, I'm so bad. I shouldn't come pick you up.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking of Simpsons. I did the like he's some non given up comedy guy. But you do a lot of this when yeah, you're on Well look it's a few years off now, but you might have heard of something called COVID that was going around. Yeah, bug, but that's conspiracy. Comedians. Yeah, us comedians we did some zoom gigs are horror, so I'll always jump on the in person.
Speaker 3: But you were telling us off the air that you're watching people get off their couches mid show, which I just think is rude. Yeah, you paid to watch a comedian. You wouldn't get up and leave it when you're at the show, So why do you get off the couch?
Speaker 1: But that was the problem is they just think he can't don't see me.
Speaker 3: I'm at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, did it three you off? It did a little? It did and there was no laughter, which isn't that different to my normal I'm Jane. I don't have a big egear, but I like to think there's a little bit of laughter at my gigs. But that was a very weird time and I won't go too much into the sort of mental health side, but a lot of us had that kind of like because when you're used to touring around, you can go to a town, make people laugh hopefully, and then all of a sudden it's like, well what am I now?
Speaker 3: Like you know, yeah, what's my purpose here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, for your purpose here?
Speaker 3: Today? Used to talk about mister Plower.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's what I was put on this earth.
Speaker 3: And we're glad that you were because you were saying before before at Coxy arrived that we're a young season twenty at the moment with the podcast, right, and you watch a season twenty episode of the Simpsons and then you watch mister Plow and you just goll just go back and review the classics again.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's no comment from me, But yeah, I'm not a something. People are a bit gentle on the New Ones. I'm pretty harsh. When we're doing season twenty.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like we're we've got the metal detector out and we're going along the beach like maybe we'll find a twenty cent pieces and that, Yeah, maybe there'll be a joke somewhere with this.
Speaker 1: It's just like, holy should have go watch Yeah. Well, well, every now and then I see comments saying like god, the latest Ones returning and yeah, I know I'm pretty harsh. I know I'm pretty harsh, but it is it's a tough thing when you know how high quality it could have got to.
Speaker 3: And yeah, what's the thing. It's just I don't know. We're watching it now, going a good episode is a fine episode's if we go? Is it okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was all right, it was okay, yeah, but now it's we're watching the mister Player. You just go, We're five minutes in and I reckon, I've taken twenty jokes. Yeah jokes already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know the classic years, like, yes, references were shoved in, but they were like the writer's favorite directors and you know, like, what's trying to think, Oh, like Kuber or something like that. Now it's like put put iPod in. Put Like that's just shoving in pop cult. Yeah, get it on board.
Speaker 3: It's all about who we can get on the show.
Speaker 1: Yeaheah, exactly. And by the way, I'm thirty six. Yeah, so I'm thirty nine.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you grew up in the nineties with The Simpsons. Yeah, yeah, so one of your earliest memories of the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for saying, Oh well, I'm ancient. It does. It's gonna sound a bit cheesy, but I definitely feel like I've grown up. I grew up with it because as a kid, I remember the like radical Bart era, don't have a cow.
Speaker 3: You would have been about five when The Simpsons started then, yeah.
Speaker 1: But then, I mean Australia picked it up pretty quick compared to a lot of stuff that took time to come over. I still remember things going fast track from USA, so I remember that sort of Bart's bad boy that was. It was center out bar right like the first few seasons and speaking about being harsh, I can't do season one. Some people say, I mean, it's nice to see where it started. But you know, with Homer, like embarrassed by the family and the first I think.
Speaker 3: It's the third episode he wants to kill himself because he lost his job and was going Holy Molly. But there is an episode moaning Lisa, which is episode six, where it's just as relevant now as it was back then because Lisa is sad and she doesn't know why. And at the end Marcher says, you want to be sad, just be sad. Yeah, I'll be here for you, And I thought that's so.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a lot of stuff. I have some nice touching stuff, but it didn't not the hilarious humor that you know. It's really finding its feet, isn't it. And so my very earliest memory would probably be the big Foot.
Speaker 3: Deep I was gonna say, called the Simpsons things. Most nineties kids remember that, Ozzie Kids, Hungry Jack's had action figures right that. I remember my friends having it, and we didn't have Huncle Jacks. We were McDonald's KFC family. I don't know about yourself, but when mum came home with Hungry.
Speaker 1: Jacks rooster, yeah, the other place burned down? Or what's going on?
Speaker 3: Takeaways?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So Thursday night takeaway night was our thing as kids, and it was always Maxis and KFC whichever. We didn't care if mom came home with red rooster or Hungry Jacks, we thought we'd done something wrong. What was what was your go to takeaways?
Speaker 1: Kid? Yeah? What do you want?
Speaker 3: Doxy?
Speaker 1: What do you want for? It's funny because, like my humor now is heavily based around the fast food chains, my parents didn't do a lot of the so maybe that was my rebellion. Like when you know, when you get to forty and you start working, you like, I can spend my own money. I will have a rip a roll. Yeah, that was it. I was like when I'm like fourteen doing part time jobs, it's all about like, no, now I can get KFSC.
Speaker 3: I was liked to watch The Simpsons as a kid, so I think that's why I became obsessed with it once I was allowed to. But by the point I was allowed to, people are almost starting to get over it. So I was always almost like the only Simpsons kid in my group. But I told I started watching the show I was watching all I was six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well it is like it is funny when you hear about that because I could see in parts, you know, when with the Bart rebellion thing. But I mean it seems like things that came afterwards were a lot more cooked.
Speaker 3: From me South Park from me, it's because of one consists of Maggie getting a knife out of the drawer and what do you think little Dando did?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's it. It is. Kids are very influenced. Yeah. Was your comedy influence by The Simpsons? Oh? Yeah? But like I said, I like to think the because sometimes I'll think of something and I'm like, oh, that's a Simpsons joke. But then I'll be like, well, at least i'm it's the greatest comedy ever that I'm copying, Like, you know.
Speaker 4: Well, that's like you're saying, I mean, kids are kids are sponges. Yeah, they soak up whatever. And I think if you grow up watching something like The Simpsons, or if you're a bit older like me, you grow up sort of watching you know, classic sitcoms on tea, and if you've got any inclination to be funny, that's where you learn. You learn the rule of threes, where you learn that's good timing as opposed to bad time, and that's how you land a joke. That's until I means yeah, and that's how you bold in references and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: That's what I think. Another memory, early memory I have is because that's the thing they didn't really repeat the very first season much, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think, and it was never on TV, was it.
Speaker 1: But then I remember because of the bad bart I remember, like the water bombs by the Genius. I just have this memory of him or Green. Yeah. Yeah, there's things like that where it's just like but as a kid, it is that it's just like it looks so cool and the voices.
Speaker 3: It was different, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think they did Channel ten. They it seemed to be sometimes season three, but it was most of like season four to like season seven seemed to be the ones that were on rotation. Yeah, six pm L.
Speaker 1: It is quite interesting to read the history of it where you know, like because you know it as this big behemoth, but like when you read about how early on it was such a gamble and yeah, I think, like I think ten wasn't even like a big sort of channel in one.
Speaker 3: I think at the time maybe and I think it was maybe it was channeled ten by that point.
Speaker 1: Was that no, what was it called? What was it used to be? Channel? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Eighties? And I was kind of the poor a cousin for seven and it was always seven and nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the two big ogs jeellling it out in the ABC's that go, you guys feel pretty good, duke it doubt we'll be over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember reading or maybe watching once somewhere where Rove was saying that they didn't Channel ten were interested in the Simpsons, Channel seven were interested and then someone passed it up and then someone said Channel ten the kids show something different, give it a go, and best decision they ever made.
Speaker 4: And it was real canter programming as well when it first started, because I think it was on Sunday nights up against sixty minutes or something. Yeah, sounds like, okay, Well you can need to be you know, supercipisticated catch up on the current affairs of the world, or you.
Speaker 1: Can do what's the Simpsons. There's this thing as as a comedian kind of there's certain things you're expected to like. It sounds weird expected, but like, for example, like Seinfeld, like there's probably like ninety or ninety five percent commanis would say they love it, and I didn't. But mostly I watched things that suited my age more, you know, because and that I just didn't really connect with it. Sounds weird to say I connect with the Simpsons, but it's a cartoon. I didn't connect with these what were they like, thirty somethings in New York or whatever.
Speaker 3: I didn't like Seinfelder kid. Yeah, yeah, do you like Seinfeld now?
Speaker 1: Though? Well that's the thing. I haven't actually retro but I don't hate it or anything, but I just know I'm a little bit of a outside comic comedian. Yeah, yeah, because it is one of those ones where it's like that's almost like, you know how certain elements of entertainment, it's like, oh, if you're into metal, you're probably like metallic. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, if a comedian come up to you and ask you if you like Seinfeld, you just say you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just like these pretzels with that one of the three catchphrases. I know. But again, like I think with the that you do meet every now and then, a commune who wasn't allowed to watch another thing I was told Tasmania apparently didn't have it at all. Really, I don't know if it's Channel ten television. Yeah, I think it's I think it was Channel ten and all the Simpsons are one of those. But yeah, and I'm like, so, how did you end up being funny?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, can you remember an episode that influenced you at all where you maybe write a joke from an.
Speaker 1: Episode of this? Oh gosh, that's put me on the spot, you know, Like I said, like you like to think your original, but let me are well, a lot of what I talk about food and stuff is like very like Homer like, but I try and put like an Aussie twist on it. So I guess what was the question? And I was a massive con O'Brien fan as well as I know he only wrote.
Speaker 3: A few but doing the Oscars again next year. He hosted this year. He's already got the gig for next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll often I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I'll often say like season five is my favorite season, so I guess season five. Yeah, well that's it. Yeah, yeah, I do think I was just discussing this of you. If ever for a little peak behind the curve.
Speaker 3: Curtains always open when it's.
Speaker 1: Funny when you say, like like you're pinning yourself down and say this is my favorite season. But my favorite apps from definitely I'll say like five. But then obviously you like a lot of other apps. But yeah, I guess that humor. John Sportsworld as well. I had his books. He like a lot of love a lot of that humor, So any any of that, I guess, like the food stuff. I'm a big geography nerds. I like geography, joke, sports jokes. Yeah, so those sort of those big three. But one thing I do. Having said like fives my favorite app I do reckon there's some brilliant jokes and a couple of the like four and three, and like, you know, I consider one of the first brilliant jokes to be in Flaming Mos or like you just lost yourself a customer? Yeah yeah, like that, yeah yeah, And I always think of that whenever someone's you know that, I know people I'm a sucker for like comments sections like people.
Speaker 3: Say, don't doom scroll man.
Speaker 1: I know, but but I don't know why. I'm just in there. And there's always that the negative peal, you know, and the classic like who you know when it's like it's like oh, And it's always that makes me think of that because they're kicking ass and Barry from Bayswater and say, because I got a bit of the trolls myself, you know, and I always think of.
Speaker 3: It like that, what's the usual troll comment for you?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because like I said, I'm into sports. I'm often comment on sports stuff. I reckon a lot of the trolls. I must have said something about their team or player and now they're just like, oh, they just won't like people really love their teams and now they're just giving me grief.
Speaker 3: So when you go to a town, do you not look up Okay, we're going to this town. Let's look up their sports team, be pro their team or do you just not care?
Speaker 1: Not really? Yeah, I'll sometimes I like doing a reference to like, you know, if I go to Adelaide or remember when they won the premiership and go, let's party like it's yeah, that's it. I did something about West Coast when I was in fair like, let's party like it's O six. You know, which can have a meaning to it's a different party if you know what I mean, cousins exactly. That's why I'm like, I'm not like huge on references, but I like those sort of slip one of those and yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I think otherwise you're like spinal tap saying hello Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, like you try not to be too cheesy with that kind of you know, there's that classic like Simpsons predicted it, but it's true, there is. There's almost a joke for every situation.
Speaker 3: You know, especially been so many episodes. Yeah yeah, but still it's the first ten that seemed to be the one that the most did.
Speaker 1: You ever have talking about that. Did you have like a moment in your life where looking back it's a little bit cringey, like so, you know, it's like a teenager, I was a bit political, and I used to be like, I reckon, I reckon. The Simpsons deal with political topics. I get my news from this, you know. But I genuinely thought, like, for example, like when you talk about like homophobia, like they dealt with that quite quite my.
Speaker 3: First one, unbelieve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it made Homer the butt of the joke, that is the joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, look how parent he's the bad guy? Yeah yeah, But then we review the teen seasons and virtually every episode has a homophobic joke in it, you know, everything he did back and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I want to get too, deeven the news stuff that does meet right at the heart of how I feel, and that it's a whole new set of writers and stuff that that to me. I'm not saying this is the correct point of view, but where they they've lost the spirit of what it was when it.
Speaker 3: Was almost pinpoint the second the show's heart ripped and half you can watch it and go this is when the Simpsons wasn't the show it once was, and Homer became a jerk for no reason, yeah, and no repercussions for being a jerk.
Speaker 4: And well, I think the way we always talk about it when we've talked about the episodes recently is like when it first started, maybe for those first ten season, you've got a bunch of people who want to write comedy, yeah, and they've learned it from wherever. And then then following off from that, you've got a bunch of people who learned on comedy watching The Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I was like, I think there's how you do the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: The problem is that South Park and Family Guy came around.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say. It was it competing to be a bit edgy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't the cooking on the block anymore. South Park completely took the reins from that. And then once South Park the fad, the south Park died down, but it was peak south Park for about the first two seasons. Then they sort of mellowed a bit. Then Family Guy came around, and everyone just wanted to be that random, obscure jokes like Family Guy, and you just see elements of that seeping into the Simpsons, how do.
Speaker 1: We stay relevant?
Speaker 4: Like you could have just stayed in your lane and cruise along. Very nice because a lot of people like what you do.
Speaker 3: That's because we do a south Park podcast as well. And that's what I love watching these old episodes of south Park is they could have very easily tweaked their style to suit what people seem to want at the time. They went, not fuck it, We're doing the show that we want and it's all better for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The fact that Trey Parker and Matt stone A still sort of driving the train, how many seasons into it or how many years into it, Yeah, it means the show remains the same.
Speaker 1: I'm the kind of person I don't want to be picky, but I end up being. And it's like I don't hate Soba, but I'll so this is my kind of like critique picking. A part of it is that a lot of the time, and there's nothing wrong with this, is what I do is going to like find what your your persona is and stick with it. But I find it's often like, see, the kids are the only ones who know what's going on and all the adults are dumb, and which is a funny concept.
Speaker 3: And it evolved that because it wasn't really live then by the end were season seven now sound parking, you go, I'm going, so the kids are the only smart ones in the town. Yeahah, and Carton's still an idiot. But it's always standing Kyle going, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's always funny to look at the very beginning of a sitcom that you really love and one that's gone on for a long time. And yeah, the first seasons or the first episodes are usually kind of unrecognizable. Yeah, it's like you can see the germ of what it's going to become, and they realize, oh, we're going to keep this, We're going to throw this as hard, we're going to amplify this, we're going to tamp that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Us on these characters, there's so much that I've just learned along the way. I I never even knew that, like you know, you when you read when it comes up like credits, and and obviously I knew there was a lot of different writers and that, but but even with these series, there's a different director episode episode, which I find interesting.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so this one here, mister Plower, you chose, I ask you which episode you want to do mister Plower? This episode here for me, I feel like season four was the era where it became the Homer Show. We're just discussing. Shows tend to focus on particular character. The first couple of years were Bart, Bart the Murderer, but this is always Bart the general.
Speaker 1: I got radical Bar, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yah, yeah, but the episode, the episode, there's a lot of Bart that or Bart that in the first couple of seasons. Now it's the Plow you know, Homer Home, the heretic, that kind of thing in season four. But what was it about mister Plower in particular that made you want to choose this one to talk about today?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It is interesting when you kind of dissect, like what do I like about things? And I want to start with snow because, like if Igo is one of my favorite movie I think because I'm from BRISBANEES So I'm from the heat. So I guess it's like I was never into fantasy like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars sci fi, but that's probably my fantasy. Like I like human stories told in snow places I don't know, but yeah, yeah, but that's that's one thing, and then I mean, this is an obvious easy thing, but this is just brilliant jokes in it, even if you take out. But then I guess, I mean, I've always been just like a laborer for work, so maybe it's that thing to the labor job.
Speaker 3: There's just so many moments in here that I forgot. We're in this episode. Yeah, put it in, h Adam, what it's doing the bat to all these moments where you can put them in any episode and they work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're all in this one. You know, we're in the area where in the era of the meme, right, well, memes have been around for a while, but that they just get what do you call it, like passed on and like people forget, like what's putting in age from Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, I just think the Simpsons now because the episode's taken a lead that people say they're not any good anymore. They're fine, they're okay, but the Simpsons isn't cool anymore. It's not people talking about. What keeps the Simpsons relevant is means, yeah, people were using on social media and that kind of thing. That's how the Simpsons, like the Facebook groups like our page one, that's how the Simpsons is remaining relevant twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's absolutely you know, it's funny about that too. Like I just watched the full up the other day, and for this, which is such a rare thing, I don't do that the watch Sims as much just because I want to watch it anymore either. Yeah, but I used to love the DVD box sets and then I would alternate between just like watching it as it is and the DVD commentary. Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went to bed listening to commentaries, which became a podcaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They were the first podcasts, And it's such a funny thing to like have it playing and you can kind of hear the dialogue, but it's quiet and yeah, and just the crew just nerding out.
Speaker 3: And I just wish they'd put the commentaries on Disney. Plus, I would watch it far more often, but apparently there's issues because they've got to then pay the people whose voice. It's like all this.
Speaker 1: I don't remember I should say this, but say it. When I watched it, I got my daughter to get a dodgyp from something. Yeah, I was like I was, I was saying, because you know, I'm a little bit older. Jen I'm turning forty, but my daughter's more tech savvy, and I'm saying to her, like, what can we do? Is there do we do? Like, is there like a one month Disney. Let's be honest, Disney is doing all right. I'm not stealing from a corner shop, but I.
Speaker 3: Know where they're going out of business.
Speaker 1: But I know there's I've heard about the whole like if you put something on YouTube, it'll be down in an.
Speaker 3: Hour or yeah, you're pretty on to that.
Speaker 1: I like to have that job, just looking for like I'm sure it's probably automated, now.
Speaker 3: Be right police, Yeah, yeah, I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: Of Disney as the hospital in that episode is like we're missing one subscription. Looks like there's no Disney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell the children.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's like obviously anything that's like a full up gets taken down. But I think there's just so many like one minute jokes.
Speaker 3: They just like it depends what platform using on Facebook are so pedantic about clips content wise, so anything over twenty seconds, you're done. Anything under they go crazy for it.
Speaker 1: Ex.
Speaker 3: Twitter, Elon don't give a shit, mate, He's like, put full episodes up.
Speaker 1: We don't care he's got other things on his mind.
Speaker 3: Instagram also seems to not really care, even though they're owned by Matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sidefeld, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four figure discount.
Speaker 1: I think we spoke about this before of her about like saying something's your favorite, and you have a favorite at the time, you just say it, and then I also like that, and I like that, so I'll often say mis sa far as I favor I love like obviously love like I said, season five my favorite seasons. After this, we watched Homer Goes to College, which.
Speaker 3: Is another episode that's one of my favorite. The Dean and that is amazing. I just love all those and and it's like free nerds are over there, free nerds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love all that, just the cliches of the high school movie, college.
Speaker 3: Movie and that like with the Animal House. The Animal House.
Speaker 1: Yeah, frusty old Dean, but he's like the nicest it.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't think you are peak. Yeah, it's so good with the powerful friends.
Speaker 1: And just watching that and it's like, maybe this is my favorite. It doesn't at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, but yeah, I wanted to give mister Plower some love, Like I was saying.
Speaker 3: Very sexy episode, yeah.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, being in about memes and I'm in a few different groups and I was often think of like a topic to start up, and I was going to say about like our favorite kinks, you know, like when Homer goes with the flowers in the toilet or or there's you know, when he puts the sand in it. But yeah, yeah, but that that that is really like genuinely sweet. When Marge just like appreciates home and yeah, yeahs good at his job.
Speaker 4: What's about costs of beings? Like, you know, you blew all this money on this play.
Speaker 3: Actually I didn't do anything wrong to fuck it up here, Like Barney was the villain. He actually gave Barney well.
Speaker 1: I mentioned before about in sort of season three and four some some brilliant jokes and a joke which I think is a bit underpreciate. I don't hear much about it is Barney saying nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, and that's just.
Speaker 4: Say minichail laugh the stuff in this that's not even like jokes per se. But they're just great line deliveries or just little bits of texture. I mean, I love it when home is driving home from Mo's and this isn't a Bill and Marty at night.
Speaker 1: By the Yeah, but you did wade money again. I know it's a bit cheesy to be like, oh, Simpson's predicted it, but I do think they were ahead of their time, right, Like you know the bit so they're talking about like these big and like, oh yeah, the American cars. I'm sure they've always been around in some form, you do see, Yeah, that's right, and but now it's a huge thing, the Dodge rams. But Homer's got that, you know where they're selling it. And how psycho is his the dreams whatever it is about the president. Yeah, yeah, I'm definitely the pay me not to work protest. I love that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so many great guests as well, Linda Ronstadt and Adam West. Linda run'st that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Adam West, what a fucking lord.
Speaker 3: Adam West is so down to putting himself, throwing himself under the bus, which is what makes him so great.
Speaker 4: Well, what's what's hilarious is in Man and West is already bloody heightened. Yeah, is already sort of dialing up to eleven. Now he's dialing it up to thirteen, just sounding absolutely kind of Oh I.
Speaker 1: Met him West and you wanted to become the mayor in the family guy. Yeah, oh, you know. It's another great line too. So the whole sequence is awesome. But Homer crashing and he's like, oh got him, got him just as good as he got, just the shocked faces. And then the next bit with the it's a pornography.
Speaker 3: That's one of your favorites, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great example too of like it's it's not to say they never did crass or but it was crass, but it's like sex cauldron, you know, you know, it's like it's they just hold off enough to not.
Speaker 4: It's it's not smutty Yeah, it's just funny because the Homa thinks he's being kind of Yeah. I got myself out of that one.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite Home of jokes, the accidental you know, I'm going to stalk stop.
Speaker 4: It's like when he goes to the boser. My name is mister Burne.
Speaker 3: I I just don't think I love The Simpsons in the sense that those jokes there, like the pornography when you're a kid watching it, right, you have no idea. I'd like to think you have no idea when you're five years of the way pornography means, yeah, but the way Dan delivers the like no graphy, that's what's funny about it as a kid, and as you get older. So Dad's laughing alone, Dad's laughing at the actual joke. As a kid, you're laughing at delivery.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And I don't know if Simpsons invented there's probably not, but the like in a dialogue talking to him, you know, like you got you got off easy this time, brain or.
Speaker 3: I never would have thought of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's just variations on that, so many variations all through the certainly all through these classic years. I mean, whether it's Homer's brain, like he's sitting in like a circus or something, little beer on a ball or something like, yeah, that's his brain in operations ballet, Yeah, that's ballet, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like a monkey picking something out of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or the birds grooming him and things like that, Yeah, or even just you know, I know what, you know what I'm thinking, boy yum y y.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I love was the advertisements, you know.
Speaker 3: The la I love Grandpas suit. He's wearing so low budget but so awesome, cubes.
Speaker 1: Around his head and it's this when they filmed the ad, like then there's the agency went yeah, yeah, and I love how he just like I'm going, you know, like he doesn't get off set you. And then then Bart you are a license and shut up. Yeah, It's like I love that, Like why did that make the little final cut?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, but we were saying before we even before we were arrived, roxy that something that's really funny and that just a tiny little bit, it's not even a gag. But yeah, they're filming this low budget public access commercial world. But and you can see Lisa sort of occasionally looking at the camera because he doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: I mean if you've never been on camera before, occasionally to go.
Speaker 3: I'm watching this thinking it feels like when you go to the movies and they play the localized as. Yeah, it's like some mate and like some guy and his wife.
Speaker 1: But I'm Ben and always in country towns, I'll be like, come on down and Mike Thompson Toyota. Yeah, he's stingy. Didn't want to hire anyone, so he's doing himself.
Speaker 3: But he's like really, but some people have done that really well, like Frank Welcome from Nation Walker from National Files.
Speaker 1: He become a thing. Ken Bruce he went mad and so you just touched on. So that's the what would you call it? Community channel add But.
Speaker 3: Then thirty one for me and there's the Agency, the Agency one, yeah, and the dog Draper one I love.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a couple of times where Simpsons, I guess you'd call it making fun of maybe like a tribute to Ardhouse. He it was like the one Barney made, you know, for the drinking, and it's that like cry for me, I'm already dead, but it's it's just that's like it's got nothing to do with being a flower. But it's a Legiti nineties commercial as well.
Speaker 4: I mean apparently they were making like an obsession like Calvin k It was a director like rip off of those. Yeah, but there were so many references him, just throw away stuff that you know, you can tell that the writer's really dug. It's like, I really want to just you know, give a shout out to I mean the ad agency he goes to called McMahon and Tate. I think that's the one that Darren worked for on Bewitched, okay for instance. And there's a so I'm gonna put them moving the hat on him for the second. But when when Home is going to go and rescue Barney from Widow's Peak, you see him going across that rickety bridge. Yeah is that movie that's from a movie called Sorcerer.
Speaker 3: That's the one which is actually drove a truck across the bridge, didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we're really amazed that no one has died making it. I was even getting sort of probably like Cliffhanger vibes, you know, nine his action Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then there's make a joke out of both like he's gone across this ship has bridge with this you know, really heavy tech synth going on, oh shit, there's a real bridge.
Speaker 1: I love those. And again it's that thing of like it doesn't matter that things are repeated and used a lot, that people have probably done this heap since and where they do it. I called to know, Homer's called to get Barnie out. He's like, blah blah blah. There's a ten thousand dollars note.
Speaker 3: In it for which president on it?
Speaker 1: Jimmy, Yeah. Oh.
Speaker 3: My parton that one scene though, before we move on, is when Linda rons said says I'm gonna do the Spanish version, sings a fucking great Spanish version of the song.
Speaker 1: He's like, you do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I couldn't translate the Spanish, but I'm pretty sure. The first part of it is like, mister player is not Marcho, okay.
Speaker 1: And you know when you got the it's it's actually it's a bit sad. But like when they show Homer's sort of like encouraging Barnie to drink and you see that, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a great man. He can make make his own decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. But it's just like it was. It was probably seventeen man, now so many times. Yeah, it's that thing of like, but it's a nice little peeking, like, oh that's how that started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess they kind of had to put some sort of negative on Homer because, yeah, you don't want to hate Barney. Barney's one of those characters you just love, and he seemed like such a heel as a wrestling term, but such a bad guy in this one. We had to sort of throw some of it back on Homer as well.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess Homer in this episode though, is kind of relatable because if you would have his position, you come up with the idea. It's not an idea, you still my idea. You bought a play out, right, he was doing so well on his job. Then your best mate does the same thing. You like, mate, it's true, but.
Speaker 1: I mean, Barni's not wrong.
Speaker 4: It's like that little healthy competition. Never heard anyone that's foundation, you know.
Speaker 1: I love the It's almost like, you know, when your text shot at something doesn't have to be this huge comment. But I feel like the when they transfer the key over and it's like, oh, there's bike marks on this, but that was like not a bad shot, but just like to show how fickle these like heroes things.
Speaker 3: Get me exactly give it back to us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh there's a new guy, he's the town. What to do that? Like? Why was it covered in cholan side? What was it covered in foil? That was never before?
Speaker 3: We talked about the line delivery, right, So a joke is funny, but then the way it's delivered it even funnier. Do you find when you're writing jokes that you're you think this joke's great, but if I say a little bit differently, it's even funnier. Helping. Does that happen to you when you're writing your comedy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well so first time. I mean I'm not a huge writer like that's there's some comedians who pump out stuff. Do you improv? Yeah? Well one thing that will happen with my My jokes that I have they change a lot over time, a little bits added, So it's not I don't write a lot of newer jokes.
Speaker 3: But been doing the same set for ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, where it's just like director's cut off. I'm yeah, but it is like you think, because it is like how you think of it first and then how you present it can change a little bit. Do you think of something on the spot that.
Speaker 3: You a Heckler's not your style, wouldn't really.
Speaker 1: Get not really, but I know the problem them is now there are these like videos where they're like comedian destroyers and like they're all set.
Speaker 3: Up, mate, Yeah, I know that's but that's what's Is it a thing in the comedian circle where you go, I know that guys just fucking made that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a little bit of like the purists of comedy or like resent this newest style coming in. But I'm more like like they've got their place. Like the younger styles we're doing our thing. Us older ones, you know, we're just over here. It's like the comedy like a like a Beatles and Elvis older style, and the younger whippers snippers are doing what do I call them, rather than these comics are gardening now.
Speaker 3: No, So you're saying modern comedy is just all content based, Well you're putting words.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is, well, to go back to your original questions. So it's like that's a form of comedy where people love the chaos where it's like something going wrong. But when you have you have your act that you want to do you don't really want people disrupting out, but I know it's a thing that this is a real thing. Hecklers who think that you want them.
Speaker 3: The part of the show.
Speaker 1: Don't you want that? Like no, no, I don't like you don't want to go viral? Yeah, yeah, well that's the thing. Like it's it's like it's more a perfect storm where there's a few who, like Jim Jefferson apparently blew up from someone running on stage or attack on or something, and now everyone wants one video. Yeah, so now people want to replicate that, and I feel like it's a perfect storm. It's not going to just you can't force it. You need to be bash naturally. Take that I'm joking about.
Speaker 4: There's a bo Burnham comedy special on Netflix, I think where you can hear someone the gad saying I love you both like don't care.
Speaker 1: There's not a participation sport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've actually really crafted this though it works.
Speaker 1: You know. My only thing is I'll some of my jokes. I'll lead into it by does anyone and about the topic like is anyone into this? The problem is then when no one does it or no one emits, and I'll but I'll usually just say, well, I'm doing it anyway. He has a job. Yeah, does anyone here alive? Like who? He is into breathing? You know? Yeah, you know it's like don't you hate pants? It's not really a done thing anymore, but years ago to get engagement page pages like tager mate, who's like I always thought to make fun of that as like tager mate who's alive? Or like h tager made who has skin? Or so you know, it's like something obvious like that. It's just yeah, I mean people they're going to do what they want to do, but that stuff doesn't interest me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we usually run through the episode here on the show. Do should we skim through mister Plower?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we usually we're at the air D eight what not. The original edit of the episode was actually November nineteenth, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: What can You're doing?
Speaker 3: November nineteenth, nineteen tety two, Wow with a snappogoxy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so talking about the whole australiing. I do wonder if we, like, did they.
Speaker 3: Take this would have been ninety three for us?
Speaker 1: I reckon, do you know how quick they were doing.
Speaker 3: Like at least a season, so it would have been we would have been mid two thousand and not only three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I don't remember, like I said, I only remember at a young age, the sort of radical Bart years. I was in grade two ninety two.
Speaker 3: So remember a guy on the radio spoiling the who shot mister Burns because it already aired in America And then they spoke about in the radio before season seven had premiered in Australia. Yeah, a lot of trouble, yeah, revealing it was it was Maggie. But yeah, so it was written by John Viddy, directed by Jim RIDDANEW kicks off with our man, Phil Hartman. You like you Phil Hartman?
Speaker 1: A huge fan? Yeah? Love what a dude. Yeah. So he's trying to actually say, speaking of like saying what's your favorite I often say Lionel Hearts is my favorite character of anything.
Speaker 3: I don't think as a kid you like Lionel Hearts. But what do you get with characters of the Simpsons?
Speaker 1: Right? Which ones do you? Did?
Speaker 3: You find your lights more the older you got For me, it was like Moya Hearts, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, the creeps you and the bushes. Yeah, yeah, I love that, Like, like I don't think we were no one really enjoys the the poo debate. But one thing people say is like, hey, like everyone in the town is a creep, like the stereotypes. Yeah, and that's that thing of when like all the they all go into the reject thing. But yeah, I did you do have that thing where it's like it's it's too obvious to say Homer, right, so if you want to say someone else is your favorite character, So for a long time, I would say Wigham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enjoy the baby looked at you, Baby looked at You. I found I actually liked the Lisa episodes more the older I got as well as a kid.
Speaker 1: I hated the Lisa episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but reviewing the moment, you know what, I actually relate to Lisa a lot more than some of the other characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and once you understand a bit of that comedy, like the straight person and like she's she's never in Margine needed for the stupidness of Yeah, the balance there and it was quite lovely when you know those ones where she's like questioning her own the Simpsons thing and then she wants with the chocolate.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, one of us, Yeah, join us. But it's what kicks off with Carnival of the Stars, hosted by trou McClure. Not for Lepards anymore. But he mentioned here the Erotic Adventures of Vircules. Is it the first movie? The second reference? Because what was it?
Speaker 4: It's not when she goes to Rancho Relax, I think there was.
Speaker 3: It's Camp Crusty. I think it's when they send the kids to the camp and they're at home, they're loving life, home has lost weight gain hand, they're watching the Erotic Adventure of Vocus having a great time.
Speaker 1: Troy McClure. You know, it's like sometimes I think there are sometimes there are an amalgamation of who they're based on. It's not one, you know. Sometimes I'll just come out and say, like MO was meant to be so and so. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like it was trying like an amalgamation of just some I'm not.
Speaker 4: Too sure, just just b movie stars. There was there was a Bee movie started from the seventies called Doug McClure.
Speaker 3: I think that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, but even just that saying I'm from yeah you may remember me, you remember me? Sorry, it's a later reference, but I reckon he's a lot of revealed.
Speaker 1: I'm not really his career was once I Create you may remember me. It's like he's like.
Speaker 4: Rick Dalton from Once upon a Time in Hollywood. Yeah, he's just got these movies.
Speaker 1: That's like, oh yeah, you're in that right.
Speaker 3: But Marge tells Homer to come home because it's swing outside is where we get that you're dead? Wait, Marty on the radio. I do love the radio banter on the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: I'm doing I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I just want to talk about cal of the Stars really quickly, because first of all, I just love excitement g roade when Angela Lansbury's walking on goals. But also and thick throwing knives at Ricardo, Sorry Riccardo.
Speaker 1: Just little throwaways like that days kill me, not before I give you the check. One more question. This place mos you left just before the accident. This is a business of some kind.
Speaker 2: Don't tell him you were at a bar. But what else is open at night? It's a pornography store. I was buying pornography. I would have never started it.
Speaker 3: But Homer's got no car now, so just a hitchhike to work and the hitchhikes with I know the guy's name, but Zeke the.
Speaker 1: Pig, Yeah, dressed a pig with waterlon.
Speaker 3: And I was just eating away on the on the watermelons. And then so he's gonna go buy a car.
Speaker 4: She'll got three hundred heck there so on a single tank of kerosene?
Speaker 2: What country does this come from?
Speaker 1: It no longer exists. But take her for a test drive and you'll agree.
Speaker 3: That line on paper it no longer exists. Not funny really, but it's the way it's said.
Speaker 1: It no longer exists. Yeah, it was like a little bit of history too, and like Eastern Europe. That whole car stuff was just great because it's like, yeah, then you got the which.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always want to buy at the auto show. It's got one of my favorite moments in the whole episode there do you come with the car?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I felt seen, well, I feel that that's it's like it's kind of a look into like dad jokes or that being a dad.
Speaker 3: Now what you're going that's the kind of jet to. I mean, I wouldn't say it now I'm obviously married, happy. I wouldn't say it now to a woman because sexist. But it's just it's the kind of gag. As a dad, I can appreciate. Everyone thinks they're being original. That's the joke. Everyone's like, she's saying it to me. It's like everybody and.
Speaker 1: That's one of and I feel like it's one of those ones, like it's not taking a shot at her, but it's like it's everyone's in on her.
Speaker 4: She has a higher ground there. She's the one that's like in control of the situation. Everyone thinks they've been this smooth operator, but.
Speaker 1: It's also that and each guy thinks she just said it to him. It's a thing. Yeah you're talking to Oh, yes, that stripper really liked me when I gave her that hundred.
Speaker 3: No one was like that before the expender.
Speaker 1: While we're at the car show.
Speaker 4: I just have to point out because I'm always a stuck at the German accents, particularly when The Simpsons does and you got fourth.
Speaker 1: Motives and least say hey, what's up with that question? This exhibit is Claus. That's an example. It's it's kind of grim, but it's it's just a throw I like, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: And anytime you've got an exhibit, they have just shown their hand or the maskers off. Like my favorite episode is the Lipsky. It's Last Temptation of Homer.
Speaker 1: You know when something's like, oh, that's a bit of a relic of the past. I feel like you don't hear about Crash Test Dummies.
Speaker 3: TV show mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was the twelve Yeah.
Speaker 4: But in that last Tentpation episode when they've got the old alternative energy, things like so this this solar energy really works?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, Well that's a luck with I love petrol users and nobody gets hurt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everthing else that goes into producing top quality shows each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sidefeld, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of what would you call them trade shows like that always remember the guys like I'm going to walk downstairs and then.
Speaker 3: It's see on man Cave shows. Now, yeah, don't do comedian shows like I gues Sis. The Melbourne International Comedy fans are doing that this year.
Speaker 1: No, I'm having a year off. Yeah, come back bigger and stronger next Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to take a year off.
Speaker 1: Keep Some people go year after year, but it's a big like it goes for almost a month.
Speaker 3: You're planning a heck of last right, yeah, last year.
Speaker 1: That next year, come in heck on me. Last year I did because, like I said, I'm a huge con O'Brian fan, so it was my tribute to that kind of let him and I had a desk and oh yeah Goroxy tonight. It was fun, but I really dove into the deep end because I had two different guests each night, so I had nineteen shows. So there's a lot of booking and guests, a lot of you know, setting up everything. But it was fun. But yeah, this year's rest and Recooper.
Speaker 3: We always stay here on the show that we couldn't do stand up comedy. I feel like they're some of the bravest people in the world. I just could not go up on stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're basically hero No no, I feel like it's not gos dandel and I aren't hilarious. Maybe if I if you'll ever have me back again, I think we can do the when Krusty does the stand up because I think pants Yeah, it's a really good look at that that world of yeah, yeah, that's like sort of yeah, yeah. I was gonna say George Carlin, but yeah, changed his style. Yeah, and we'll leave leave that discussion for that.
Speaker 3: That's a spongeba by Jason of us the saving for me. And that's the last temptation of crust. Your favorite pid is last temptation of.
Speaker 1: Hey kids, Batman Dad is not the real Batman.
Speaker 5: Of course I'm Batman. See here's a picture of me with Robin.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: I guess you're only familiar with the New Batman movies, Michelle Fiver. The only true catwoman is Julie Numar, Lee Merryweather or Eartha kit And I didn't need molded plastic to improve my physique, pure West. And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore? Remember the bat To see.
Speaker 2: A nice meeting, you just keep moving to make eye contact.
Speaker 3: So as a kid watching this right Batman? For me, I was you would have been saying, Michael Katon with that Batman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, well no I'm not correct, you know, but I am. But for some reason, I don't know why we had a VHS of the really old Adam West So did you really? Okay? I think that would have gone over a lot of kids. But I knew what was going on. But so I grew up watching. It was only one we had, so I didn't have a lot, but it was like walking up the side of the building. So that's why I really I knew.
Speaker 3: The music with me is the like Pal Snuffy radioactive Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, snoop. I love the My.
Speaker 3: Memories of the original Batman series is like you wake up early on a Saturday before Rage or video hits with Start and Channel nine at like five am would have Thunderbirds and the original Batman.
Speaker 1: I know why. It was always those two shows. There was always those two shows Thunderbirds, and you always felt a bit dangerous being up at like five wasn't up yet? Yeah, I used to sneak down. I was a big like music fan. It's rage.
Speaker 3: Rage was the best because it was uncuts so good.
Speaker 1: I put the naughty ones on them.
Speaker 3: And the swearing would be allowed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, wow, I shouldn't be watching. I really shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: But like that's me when I used to watch South Pike at ninet thirty on a Monday, followed by erotic tales.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, oh, I just remember one of the the Bonnie and Clyde car for Bart. Yeah that was I was. I was telling my daughter about one of the great things, you know, passing on classic comedy things that you love. Yeah, yeah, try and fast on. And so I was telling her about sometimes when Bart it's like, you know, like I'm conversing with like Snake, you know, and he's in the back and he's like, oh, you get me out of here, I can make it worth your while. Yeah yeah. So that's like a good recurring joke. Is like Bart finding money and doing stuff he probably shouldn't be doing it. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you can see from this room here my kids are now into retro video games.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like talking about your kids. Yeah yeah, I feel like talking about the progression of the show of the years. I feel like they've that's what they still keep that spirit of Miss shivers bar but just don't dedicate whole apps to him. Yeah, so would have been like, you know, like working for the mafia.
Speaker 3: Well, it was originally pitched as the kids showing kids loved the show because Bart was naughty in nineteen eight, ninety ninety. That was like, whoa, this rebel's on TV, right, But then the kids sort of outgrew that he wasn't cool anymore. So it's like, okay, audience, let's keep the adults around them. And that's why they focused on Homer, and they found out that he could write funny episodes because they could relate to Homer because he was their age, the writer's age as well. Trying to white for a kid would have been hard.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Yeah. It's definitely interesting to see the progression and the voices as well, you know, like finding getting to the point that we know them as of.
Speaker 3: Course, Marge's annoyed that hom has brought the player because and then he is putting out flies. This is where we get the first because they saw of planted the seed early on that Barney's going to be playing a role in this episode. So he's doing the selling the dipe or is he selling diapers. A he's passing the flies for like a baby baby store. So yeah, just as a baby baby parts of the store. Is it The guy says, you discussed me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is he touch me? Is he the stampard ticket guy? Just to him? Yeah, very action of him. Just yeah, you discussed me. Just you know, like some characters and things, just like sitting single guy. I was like old Jewish man wise guy. Yeah, yeah, I feel like he's it might be the guy also punched a hippie or was singing like the weather or something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he's a guy who's if someone's pissed off, he's the guy that don't don't screw with this guy. He's got no time for you. He's pretty much everybody in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I've got no time for you.
Speaker 3: It's the kind of guy like when you see when you're walking in the supermarke or a mall and you see the people in the middle of a little boosted up and they're gonna want to sell me shit, you just power straight past them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I was at the supermarket staying. There were a couple of young dudes trying to voice some charities.
Speaker 1: He becomes a sucker. I saw them from this part.
Speaker 4: I sort of went all the way around, did the longest loop just because I could have just said no, sorry.
Speaker 1: You can't do it. I always do the busy when I'm not No, I always.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing about having kids is you can say, kids to ship himself, go for.
Speaker 1: It, where when I may myself kids, they say it's a good thing for getting off something is like diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got the ships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll take it all the time you need, Like we want to go second leve.
Speaker 3: It's got the squirts, Like, whoam just keep walking buddy?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he sees Barney here and then Homer is trying to spook himself at church, taking advantage of a situation. Just I guess that's one of the things that being a comedians, you're constantly going to be spooking and promoting yourself as well, right, and the opportunity can.
Speaker 1: Take it does become the sort of like twenty four seven consuming and you know, like with the kids, like take a photo of me doing this or that, and then they get a bit sick of it, but it's it's.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it's Dad's having a good time.
Speaker 1: I did do this. I don't have to do real work, you know.
Speaker 3: You you beg into like social media or you just like I do it because I have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit like that. But there's good and bad about it, you know, where it's that thing of like it is a great feeling to put something up does well get.
Speaker 3: Reactions on it.
Speaker 1: But then like I said, like there's trolls, there's even your own doubts that get created about like you know, like I'm not too bad with it now, but but the mental side of like, oh, I know, I struggle.
Speaker 3: With very bad reviews and stuff. It affects me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and the whole sort of because you know, it's only these last couple of generations almost like guinea pigs. It didn't exist in the past, right, So people are studying how people react to like, likes and views, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, I found it interesting. I was talking to some guy recently who he is a comedian, and he says he actually gets people to put fake hate comments in the comments to get his actual fans to respond to it. Because then the algorithm of this of the platform on Instagram and TikTok or whatever thinks that people engaging with this and they boost it to more people. So it's like it's a dirty way. Yeah, but it's just like I don't know, it's it's just tacking.
Speaker 1: That I need people who genuinely hate me. But it's funny you say that because like a lot of the times I ignore them, but I have had times where I've clapped back and yeah, people have enjoyed what I said, which is like part of me is oh cool. But also I don't want to be this roast roast comedian, like I always thought it was cringey, even when I saw there were these veteran comics who've been doing a lot of time who had these great comebacks in there am I But it's like, why not just write good jokes? Don't? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But so I just loved hearing the church once the reverend said, like, you know, this is very low clicks his things and he's got security at the church.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's got some muscle. I love that. Yeah, the church. Yeah, lista.
Speaker 3: It suggests we can add on what we would call Channel thirty one, the local TV station. You know it maybe it LEASTI channel, but the Simpsons are on TV just their way of jokes like that as a kid. Not funny, but they just there diget Fox at the time.
Speaker 1: I love the the C Captain CD and the exact way they used to.
Speaker 3: Have running through the best of the seventies.
Speaker 1: Highlight the song that's on and I remember remember.
Speaker 3: We used to have to order like that, like your favorite TV shows, like if you want to watch Mash order the collection now just twenty nine ninety five for three episodes.
Speaker 4: Is an Austra I think it's cruel for the strain production coming that still does that. You can't buy like because they do sorry really show the age, but they shows like cop Shop It was really good, but you can't buy it a JB or on Amazon. You have to go to their side. Okay, do he hate Saturday mark up? I think Summer's got like he hate Saturday website. He's going to own the y wouldn't put it past.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so they got the channel on the local station and yeah, it's just hilarious. It just they absolutely nailed that local TV channel thirty one Vibe think.
Speaker 1: And they've also got the mister Plower jingle, which is just it actually works just the.
Speaker 3: Name mister Plower as well it's so sexy, mister.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thing I want to say that I particularly could connect with was the sitting as a family waiting for the thing wedding, like I don't do it. Yeah, wedding sucks. We don't do it now. But obviously when it was years ago, when it was a novelty for me to be on something, I'd be like, got the family gather around, and then it was like, get this crap off, whatever's on before you know, because that's the thing. I think it only came in in recent years where it was like the previous thing going way over. Like TV used to stick to its time slow right, yeah, anyway, it we'd be like, come and watch my things going to be. I think the very first thing I ever did on TV, I was like I had to I had to run through a room in the nude. Yeah Ronnie Chang, Yeah yeah, I was on his sitcom. So it was just like a blurm running through. But the funny thing that is, so I was ninety nine point nine percent nude, but they had a pouch thing for the genitals and anyway, don't worry, there's nothing crook coming up there. The lady who was like in charge of I guess like costume design. She said, this thing we're using I've done once before for Keanu Reeves. She's like Kiano and Gox. I guess it was matrix or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you've shared sweat now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh no, I don't think it was the same thing that was on the Don't Kill the Legend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in my mind, I'm just worrying the thing Keiano, Yeah, on his Kiano. Yeah. Yeah, that's why break so I remember that getting together the family to watch that. Maybe one other thing, but that was a nice little thing of like waiting for their take me back. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The home is good at his job. He cleared in front of the quickie marks. The snake's going to rob the joint. The retirement castle. I've just got here. Uh, the old folks here feels like the majority of the population once COVID restrictions were lifted. So we're all stuck in our houses for so long. Then the restrictions were removed and we're like, we can be, we can free. I'd rather stay home much next. Yeah, I'd rather just not go anywhere. I don't want to talk to anybody anymore. I'm just so used to doing nothing now but two years worked.
Speaker 1: The other thing I love of the Simpsons world or Springfield, whatever you want to call it, is the the extremes of the weather because it's it's I think they spoke about this on the commentaries right where if we need a mountain, a mountains there, we need a ocean because it's like ocean, desert snow, they've had heat waves everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's Victoria.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so he clears the school as well. Off Martin is so dedicated to get to school. He's the only one there. But bar gets beaten up with snowballs from because his dad saved the day. Then he's get given them the key to the city. And it's just this this actually happened because you see movies and TV shows you're given the key to the city.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Can we just sorry, I could just quickly go back to the beating up thing. I just thought that was you know, I know I talk a lot about this, but like a little a little shot at like how how I guess mean kids can be whether it's like you're yeah, that was a good Like I said, not everything has to be this huge comment, but it was a. It was a quick little guy, like ten second little bit. But it was just like your dad made us go to and also like blaming the kid up there. Dad did get the horrible man. Yeah, no, no, well you know because like I I've spoken a little bit about this, I'm not trying to turn this into like you know talking I've had some guests on talk about when I've talked with people about the changes of like society, like being very angry to multicultural and Gox is like a weird sort of name, right, And but I was as a kid, I'd get like Jock's chicken but all the rhymes and yeah, so that's why I hate kids.
Speaker 3: If you wait in Australia, I feel like you would have been fine because jocks feels like a naussy thing. Right, do you say jocks anywhere else?
Speaker 1: I don't think they do. But it wasn't it. It was just like they did it all the rhymes where they're like because.
Speaker 3: When they name me, but what can I be?
Speaker 1: Car't art dart? Nothing wrong with that? Yeah, the kids are clearly how wld you?
Speaker 3: But yes, so they saved the day at the school right to laugh at you? Ralph, Yes, and he tells Barnie too, because Barney says like, oh man, wish I could do something with myself, and Homer says, just get out there and be the best version of yourself. So he races out and he does that. Marge then wants Homer to in bedroom and she want him to wear the jack and I was like, that's so good. One of the good things about this show is they're both DTF like, oh yeahma must be good in the sack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another one of those you know how when Grimes are dressed like you shouldn't have all these beautiful things. I think that includes Marge.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, you've never been Yeah. I love that he's got the key of around his neck as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as well he was putting on the middle of the question people could actually get given the key to the city. I think it's what does this key out lock? I think it's a metaphorical, but why would you want that?
Speaker 4: I think you should do is display it somewhere. I think it might get you like ten percent of an entree the gilded truffle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's it. Yeah, it's also that thing too. It's like, you know, if it's like Melbourne or Syding like it's so big, no one cares, but I feel like you like Brisbane here has been like powder Finger and maybe some rugby players and like.
Speaker 3: Dorian getting, yeah getting. The Olympics had the cyclone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so the Keys are going to the cyclone. Yeah thanks for not smashing us that. Yeah, I watching was going now we played the wedding game. Yeah. All I could think of was like, has anyone done the like you know, I was like the hurricane like.
Speaker 3: Someone I actually placed it on the paper. Change to the cyclone. Yeah, nice of course, saying we are thinking of all our pals up in Queensland. We were suffering because of the cyclone. So he wakes up the next day, was he saying something like gold, God's gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's when stone, Yeah yeah and good gold.
Speaker 3: Or realizes that that the plower king has now arrived. Choose he tires out, have the competition classic Jo, We come back and it's the ad with Linda Ronstadt.
Speaker 1: When the snow starts falling.
Speaker 3: There's a man you should be calling that scale five or seventy nine six, Let it ring.
Speaker 1: Mister Plow is a loser and I think he's a boozer, So you better make that calture.
Speaker 3: The patter, And I just love how aggressively he beats up the cutout of Homer, like he beats him up, goes off screen, and then comes back harder.
Speaker 1: She's into beating up as well.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, okay, you're sure when you were singing the praise of Linda Ronsett before, one of the most beautiful voices in popular music at the last, Yet is just a good sport in this as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason, I don't know what it is. I'm a sucker for any time there's like a cardboard cutout or I really love that when Marge made up the Homer with like the gloves.
Speaker 3: And or when Homer does the President's sons.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, it's just something about it. It's like it's like a cartoon within a cartoon.
Speaker 3: I do love a good cardboard cutt. I've got a couple of like cinema displays from I've got the original Yeah, I noticed Kidding might appreciate this. I'm too sure he might have been too old for it. But the original Power Rangers film. Oh yeah, yeah, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's anytime there's like something within something. I think that's great, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's revealed here that he got Bunny into drinking, as you were saying earlier, and then he's just basically going around and he's lost his customers. Like Flanners isn't using him anymore, Adam West isn't using It's too late.
Speaker 1: Still money still three hours minutes ago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll take your money, but I'm not doing I feel like that's another one that's been used a bit. It's a great show.
Speaker 4: I'll take your money. He's got the moral high ground by doing so. I'll take your money, but I won't do your stinking.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the airlines of view at the moment.
Speaker 3: They'll take your money when I actually put your ticket onating.
Speaker 1: You may be going home tonight. You maybe not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some some unnamed app that we won't discuss.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, when it's happening to someone else, I can laugh at it. When it's happening to you, it's.
Speaker 4: Not funny, mel Brooks is like tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when you fall in a manholen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of that, like tragedy over time.
Speaker 4: That's oh yeah, tragedy. Tragedy plus time equals comment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pull a curtain back. I just have to leave the studio because the damn neighbors kids knocking on the door. Can Elliott come play?
Speaker 1: Not here, leave play with yourself exactly. Had fun.
Speaker 3: Uh this is where the repay guys call up. They said, we're going to take you player, but we don't pay off your bills, and suggests the ad agency.
Speaker 1: Well, I love how the repay you guys tricked him.
Speaker 3: He's like, this is I'm just just you while I think that's at the end that be the first one here, but it's calling from the repurgency. We're going to take your car.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: At the end of yeah yeah, But this is where this suggests the ad agency like a real fancy commercial on hommad does his rap boom boom.
Speaker 1: Boom boom.
Speaker 2: I missed the plow and I'm here to day I'm and he's dying.
Speaker 1: You were there.
Speaker 2: I got a big so and I move a lot of things your car with one.
Speaker 3: Very nineties this rap. Oh yeah yeah, not going down as well the sideways. Do you remember the Looney Tunes in the nineties had that kind of clothing one where they all wear their hats back towards that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: We all wore it.
Speaker 3: But they make the really shitty commercial, which was you said based on Calvin Klein, is what you said?
Speaker 4: That's Barney's one, the one that's sort of been black and white with the opera or something.
Speaker 3: But this one was based on something as well. I'm pretty sure the Homers. Homer's Homer's fancy one here. Okay, it's it's all similar, stolen with black and white and just having nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with actually the plow.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there's a lot a lot of ads like this in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Four Figured Scout is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Side Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four fing a discount but yeah, Springfield is ficked so that they can give back the under key to the city, and we think he thinks it was chocolate inside. Then Homo sees the report on TV of Arnie Pine and the Sky, one of your favorite characters. What do you think about anti Pine and the Sky.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's you know, I know we've got some here with radio, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't feel in as many characters left because I don't really listen to radio anyone. It's in the radio anymore talk podcast too.
Speaker 1: I listen to sports talk radio talk.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I knew I was getting old when I prefer I put on talk back radio, and I realize I prefer it, but I think that's just the podcast coming up. I listened to podcast conversations.
Speaker 1: I'll listen to, but it does make me angry. I'm just like, yeah, I had this, and it's that thing where you like, you have like a group chat and I'll tell people this happened this, They're like, why do you put yourself through this? If you seem to hate it?
Speaker 3: What's your what's your sport of choice? Brisbane? So you be rugby?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Yeah, but I like AFL as well. I'm that one guy who.
Speaker 3: Likes both it's pretty rare or your team won.
Speaker 1: But I'm living back in Brisbane again, so we've got it's pretty much rugby chat. Yeah that's it. Yeah yeah, but it is amazing to like listening to sports for how they get all day discussion out of.
Speaker 3: Nothing, nothing, And it's the same. One little thing will happen on a football field and they somehow draw it out for five days. But he homus is a report from only pining this guy forbidding Widow's peaks as a blizzard or whatever. So he calls up, but he's in the spa with Linda having a great time. Oh yeah, getting down and she basically says to him, look, there's a gig up here on top of the peak. Come up me, come up and get me blah blah blah, ten thousand dollars. So he leaves, and then Homer starts taking advantage of the mister plow plower King not being in the city. Kiss my ass, Fhult. He's just being horrible to people.
Speaker 1: You see what, Homo.
Speaker 3: It's not getting gigs anymore?
Speaker 1: Is that no person?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then he sees the report that the plower King is now trapped. So he goes to say the day and pretty much that's just it. That's the end of the episode. Yeah, so the plow he saves the day. He says that nothing can stop us. Now two friends get together. God is bothered by this, gets rid of all the snow.
Speaker 1: But God just makes a cameo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just not appreciated at all. It gets rid of all the snow. There's now no snow. They've got no business left.
Speaker 4: So the snowman melt like the Nazis in the Rais of Lost Arc.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Yeah's reference.
Speaker 1: Try not to make everything like, oh, this is a comment on but even that, do you think that was a little bit of like you know, when he's like kiss my ass, well, like that's kind of a comment on like sometimes a business will be getting business because it's the only one in town and they can be always the best or nicest or Yeah, so it's a lot competition is healthy, that's yeah, yeah, yeah, it makes you accountable. And even the Home of Verse Byding is a little bit of a look at like how rival friends friends can become rivals, I guess, and.
Speaker 3: They get money involved with friendship yeah, never good. Yeah, so the repay guy repossesses the mister Plower.
Speaker 1: That's when he was doing this, I'm just distracting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, but luckily he's still got the jacket and Marge just says all she is the jacket. He puts it on, sings his little tune at the end, and that's the end of the episode. I just I think a very sexy episode.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, he sings his song, but he's also puts on his DJ voice because he's the forecasters for Flor's passion with prolonged periods of getting it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And one thing the writers would talk about on the DVD conn is that say they love that screwing with the old sitcom where everything ends beautifully. That's like it doesn't end happy.
Speaker 3: It's not always yeah what's happy? Well that status quo as well. They always have to get back to the status quo of Yeah. So he was the plower king for this, well, mister Planier for this one, he can't be for the next one.
Speaker 1: It was the early days of home and doing a million different jobs and things. Yeah, what he always is.
Speaker 3: But that is the end of mister playoff. So thank you for choosing this one.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, and thank you for joining. Glad you agreed to Like I was worried to be like this sucks?
Speaker 3: Why anything from season one to nine?
Speaker 1: You're fine? Yeah, but sorry, go would make connection? Did you say last Temptation at home?
Speaker 3: So the thing is obviously you're here, you know, be doing ben Interation with Comedy Festival this year, but have you got any gigs on the horizon that we should be checking out?
Speaker 1: Not really, but I do well, Like I tour around. I try to keep busy. So like the festivals, they are are big thing, but there is this whole other while they're going on, there's other commands who do their own stuff.
Speaker 3: Is it better to do a solo tour than join these festivals? The festival is good for finding new fans because everyone's there to find coming.
Speaker 1: That's like what I was saying, is like the fest because they're on in these biggest cities, so you can go to like smaller regional towns and stuff, and so.
Speaker 3: They appreciate you coming to them as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So part of me feels a little bit sad my friends and peers are doing in this big event like Melbourne's one of the biggest fests in the world. But I take it as like, yeah, well when you're there, I'm gonna I'm gonna have Yeah, it's coming for time worth.
Speaker 4: Does Australia have like road comics. You hear about them in the States, how they're doing. Yeah, they're more because they're on.
Speaker 1: The cruise ships. But me and my friend who's another communi angers, we've done a lot of road trips together and we talk about this stuff. We're like, man, there's some of these people, like they work really hard and there's a lot of sacrifices. The people who just never stop being on the road. Like I know, some of them don't have an you know, they say no fixed address because they residentially. So in one way, you're doing what you love, but in another way, it's hard to make friendships relationships you're.
Speaker 3: Always moving around. Yeah, especially with like, yeah, your family as well, it's hard to have a family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably don't have to vote. That's a good but yeah, like that's I mean, I mean, it's you know, it's a pretty deep discussion going in. But it's a little bit sad when you that's why some of them I guess maybe after just doing it for ten years or so. Oh, I want to settle down a bit because it's it's like something like these like mining or being a soldier or something where you get sent away. But but I'm not those pill but I but I do like to keep busy.
Speaker 3: But do you find he trying to go back to the same place more than once a year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, particularly as I'm not a huge writer. So I've been going back to some places where I've been and I'll say to them like, who saw me last time? Was? Like a few hands go up, and I'll say that I hope, I hope there's enough new jokes for you. But usually they do they say, oh, you know, we so they either forgot all the jokes from last time to drunk to hear it. Yeah. Yeah, but I love getting to new places. I have probably about three times. Yeah Barwin Club, are you we go? Yeah? But no, So I'm juggling a few things. My next I try and do some things like I don't like the word gimmick, but they probably are. But yeah, I'm in a boxing fight, so that's my no ship.
Speaker 3: You don't mentioned this yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's why I was like, you know, i'd like to be back, depending if I live through that officially now. Yeah, so it's what it is. It's all I don't know if I should say there they're probably rivals to here, but they're all podcasts each other. But it's called they're called the people are organize alpha blokes. So it's like it's not really a world I'm a part of. It's that blokey Joe Rogan. Ok. Yeah, I'm more of a pop culture but yeah, I love things like that. So I've never been in a fight before, so I'm supposed to be training. Now I've done a little bit.
Speaker 3: Can you please make sure you come out too weak? Why can't we be friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I thought about that. Yeah, yeah, you're you gonna have the stinger, Like there's probably there's probably already enough refer and as to him, I'm hoping to like wear him down and I can just be like yeah, and then I've got someone ready to fly me out so he can man. Yeah, i think I'm my favorite song probably going to come out to Walking on the Sun by Smash Around, but not favorite song. I just meant for coming out a.
Speaker 3: Little bit of a star.
Speaker 1: Yeah that'd be good. But yeah, so that's probably my next big thing. What is that it's a day after Anzac Day on the Gold twenty six. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I think there's some streaming and stuff for I mean, I was only half drinking, like saying their rival, like, I mean, I'm not, but there are other they're all podcasters fighting each other. Okay, but but yeah, I'm sure if anyone wants to check it.
Speaker 3: Out, it's there.
Speaker 1: It's on the goal goes day after Anzac days to April twenty six, and yeah, I'm hoping to live through that. I'll be poorly from the Rocky movies that that'll be me. And he's not getting whipped. I'm pretty sure. It's it's quite safe. It's it's more the Olympic star where you've got It's not like the mic.
Speaker 3: Are you going to be actually trying to punch him? You're sort of this we want to get into this.
Speaker 1: My opponent is a big boy. I think I'm at least thirty kilos, So why why Europe against mister b Well, it's like why am I doing it? Like I said, I just I like to put myself up for things. Yeah, it's good luck, my friend, thank you. Yeah, it is concerning when people like the response is why like and the other thing. Some of my friends it's really nice to them, but they're also like, you can pull out if you want man to do this. Well, I'm trying to be positive, but like they're putting down in my mind, I was hoping for a bit more you can do this, but but I think they're worried about like guilt, like, oh, we shouldn't have encouraged him.
Speaker 3: But they doubled the edge.
Speaker 1: And but I mean, like I've done a lot of different sports, I've done rugby. It can't be that much. So yeah, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and if people are looking for you online, can they find you're? Like, is there goxi dot com or or social media sign or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mainly like Instagram, face?
Speaker 3: What's what's your platform with choice that you usually go to?
Speaker 1: Probably probably Facebook.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I think Facebook. You got the most followers on Facebook. Yeah, I don't think of Facebook's older than everything else though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like all of them, like some of them are good for some things and exactly yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like I don't board people with that chat. I was going to say, like, if you want multiple picks in better for that, or that's well, let's start another part about social media, but.
Speaker 3: I'll chuckle the links for those in descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. Yeah, a huge fan stakes.
Speaker 3: You have me hopefully come back to talk more symptoms if you yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you don't go to jam the stand up one. Frust Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 3: Make sure we bring our pants to burn?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what were No he didn't say me rocky very much.
Speaker 3: In that one.
Speaker 1: Now that is that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Me right, that's I actually like stuff, you know, like I was saying, like I was like on the suck of a comment second, but someone was trying to the other day, was like, I wreck that was a post about that, and then they were like how come you can do this but not a pooh like, oh that's just been done to death that topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but we'll discuss it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah come back. Well yeah yeah. If he can't always have you can never have enough views on things, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, next week we're gonna be covering another season twenty episode. But there's been a blast of review mister Planner with Boxy.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Thank you, guys. I don't know why I'm I was like what are we putting our hands in the
Speaker 3: All right, mister, you find the words for those incredible listeners out there, you're dead way GXY