Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Right now, we are watching the House of Representatives as it continues its vote for speaker. For the one hundred and nineteenth Congress, Speaker Mike Johnson is trying to hold onto his seat. We only know of one one Republican who has said that he would not vote for Mike Johnson. That's Thomas Massey out of Kentucky, and he needs every other Republican basically to vote for him if he is going to maintain that speaker's gable.
Speaker 1: Mike Johnson sent up a Hail Mary on x just moments before the vote began, saying he will work closely with Elon Musk and Ramas Vivik Ramaswami on spending cuts. He committed in this post to a number of new steps aimed at reigning in the size and scope of the federal government, trying to corral those votes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the biggest issue that he's facing, is is the defectors, those people in the Republican Party who have been at least questioning whether they would vote for him. Said that spending an agreements to spend are the things that have really cost him for the most part, big quadruple whammy of viruses hitting the United States. Everybody seems to have something right now. Infections caused by flu, by covid, by RSV, and neurovirus all started to surge over the Christmas time, of course, when everybody got together and they said, it's only going to rise as people go back to work and we see the peak of the annual flu season. There have been hospitals in parts of California, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, New York City are all having mask mandates. At least in hospitals in New York City, people have been urged to consider wearing a face mask on public transportation.
Speaker 1: You mentioned when we were talking about the Tesla truck crash in front of the Trump Tower in Vegas that Elon Musk was working with investment jrigators directly. And you mentioned the Apple lawsuit with Siri and evesdropping.
Speaker 3: Did you know the news today about that or you just prescient?
Speaker 4: Oh the settlement? Yeah, yeah, I knew that.
Speaker 1: Oh then never mind, You're not as magical as I thought you were. Uh, it's like one are the odds birthday gifts.
Speaker 3: No, I just thought it was quite the coincidence that you use that as a.
Speaker 1: Reference or trying to break news on this show. Listen, I was trying to give you more credit. The NTSB says that this plane that crashed in Fullerton into the warehouse near the airport is a kit built plane, essentially an aircraft you build at home, then an owner can assemble and maintain it once the construction is complete. On these bad boys, if you're wondering, the FAA does inspect the aircraft and clears it for flight. There are about eleven thousand of these things, various models of them currently flying.
Speaker 2: Was the sound, by the way, what we believe happened is the pilot and a passenger, I think it was his daughter, had taken off from the airport at Fullerton and experienced some problem whatever it was, and immediately called to return to the airport. And you can hear in this uh this audio, the air traffic controller saying, Okay, we've cleared the runways every this is all you. We've shut everything down, waiting for you immediate lighting. Rvey.
Speaker 3: Can you make a left turn?
Speaker 4: Coming?
Speaker 3: Romeo traffic no factor, you're number one.
Speaker 4: Win calm runway six clear to land or run.
Speaker 1: That an instant.
Speaker 4: Nothing's going to move till we rectify this or work on a thank you for your patient shutting down airport thanks what moment the airport is closed?
Speaker 2: An extensive de lay. Now you can hear there's they kind of mashed them together, but there's a moment there where you hear the pilot saying, oh my gosh, and it kind of sounds like there's a young woman in the background gasping.
Speaker 1: Right the daughter, Yeah, a couple things. Rarely do you hear a pilot and I don't know because I don't hear a lot of home pilots on the air traffic control communication device, but rarely do they sound like that, even when they're about to crash.
Speaker 4: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, wouldn't it be nice if everyone had access to an air traffic controller for like moments in life where you're freaking out and you call and you're like, oh my god, I just got rear ended and they're like, ma'am, what we're going to do is we're going to bring in the police and you're going to pull to the side.
Speaker 3: Somebody just like the calm.
Speaker 4: On either runway six or two four doesn't matter. Six or two four their favor choice.
Speaker 1: Calm wins six miles per hour.
Speaker 4: You're number one the plane.
Speaker 2: After that exchange, the plane turned left toward one of the runways but crashed about thousand feet short. Plane crashed into a furniture building. Bulletin Police department said that the two pass in the plane, believed again to be the pilot and his.
Speaker 4: Daughter, died.
Speaker 2: The aerial footage showed the plane resting just below the hole on the building's roof and for the people inside, they said nineteen people sustained injuries in addition to the two deaths. Some of the injuries were pretty serious. Eleven people were put in the hospital. Others were treated at the scene. About eight people treated at the scene, and obviously police evacuated the area near the crash site. The FAA usually comes in and does their own investigation into situation like this, and Fullerton Airport, by the way, is the same place where the plane was landing that crashed into the KFI tower twenty years ago, almost almost exactly twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: John Paoli had to go rebuild that thing. God rest his soul also from Nevada.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that. Up next, Gaven.
Speaker 1: Newsom continues to hit some points.
Speaker 2: Hits these are I mean, these are kind of low hanging fruit.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: But this, if it wasn't Gavin Newsome, I wouldn't be conflicted because like, on one hand, I'm like, absolutely, let's do something about the ultra processed foods that are killing us. And on the other hand, I'm like, hands off my twinkies. If it wasn't Gavin news so I won't be conflicted. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing is it's they're not going to take away I mean the cancer warning.
Speaker 4: For example, if Vivic Murphy, the.
Speaker 2: Other one different Vivid gets his way and he wants to put warning labels on alcohol, doesn't mean you can't get it right. Same with cigarette. I mean you could still buy cigarettes. It maybe the heads up this stuff is going to kill yet, right as if you didn't already know right As of right now, Mike Johnson has one hundred and thirty eight votes uh Hakeem Jeffreys one hundred and twenty six to be the next Speaker of the House for the one hundred and nineteenth Congress. They gaveled ind today and this is their first order of business. They got a bunch of other stuff that they'll be doing as well, but this will be the first And again, Mike Johnson is going to need just about every republic and left. Thomas Massey out of Kentucky's the only one who said that he would definitely not vote for Johnson. There have been some others that were on the fence that have voted in his favor.
Speaker 4: So far.
Speaker 1: A lot of money to be made in the NFL, and nobody's leaving anything on the table. The Caesars Superdome will be the epicenter for the Super Bowl, right but Verizon has a game plan to ensure that they make cash from this as well. Verizon's going to transform stadiums and venues across all of the NFL markets into a massive coast to coast event called FanFest on February ninth on field Access, live music, local chefs, meet and greets with NFL legends like Marshall Falk, Jason Witten, Tiki Barber, Derek Brooks. You can claim free tickets on a first come, first serve basis by going to Verizonfanfest dot com so you get the free tickets, but they're going to probably nail you on parking and then everything else.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's good for them. I mean, that's a smart prize. They haven't done that before.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 2: So Governor gavenusom is isuan in an executive order trying to limit the access limit access to ultra processed foods. He says that he wants California to be nation leading when it comes to nutrition and health standards. And if that's the case, then why not make here's a simple thing, why not make sodas not the number one thing that people buy with their snap benefits?
Speaker 4: You can, you can.
Speaker 2: You want to make a real difference, you start putting barriers around the kinds of foods that people can buy with their state benefits, targeting the absolutely But that's how you're going to have to do this. I mean people are going to again. I use the example of the timely reference of Vivek Murphy, the Surgeon General, and his desire to put warnings on alcohol. I don't have a problem with that at all, because you're not taking away the right for people to buy and consume alcohol. But if you do really want to make a difference, then you got to fight to take it out of people's hands and their mouths.
Speaker 1: The kind of only way to do this, and I only bring this up is because it kind of got me to quit smoking, which is, they say, just as equally as hard to do as quitting ultra processed foods was. You got to shame people, and we're not doing that. No, just watch the television for twelve minutes, and we are holding up onto a pedestal these five dollars menus that where you get a chicken sandwich and a double cheeseburger and fries and McNuggets on the side or whatever nuggets on the side. I don't mean to target McDonald's, but I'm just saying because I love McDonald's, but I'm just saying, like we as a society hold these things up on a pedestal, like isn't this so great? Aren't quantities of food so great? You can get all of that. You come to our restaurant, you get seven lights of food for nineteen ninety nine. When we stop doing and you've got to follow the money. People are making money off of this, and that's the problem. But when smoking became one of those things where you had to hide from people. That's when you saw the numbers plummeting. Is when you said you can't smoke in bars, you can't smoke in restaurants, you have to go in the alleyway. And then you felt like a heroin addict and all of that. That's when it was like, what am I doing right? And so if you're going to do this, maybe the light way to shame people would be having sections at the grocery store where it's like the bad zone or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't like the old like the adult adult section in the video or exactly you used to have behind my little beaded curtains.
Speaker 3: I'm glad our minds both went there.
Speaker 2: Now, this order does direct state agencies to develop recommendations to limit the health harms of ultra processed foods, foods, and calls for proposals to reduce the purchase of candy, soda, and other unhealthy foods made with synthetic eyes or aditives by recipients of government food benefits. So it does take that step of at least limiting, but it doesn't put it off. It doesn't say no altogether. Listen, you can go through and for the most part just clearly point out things that should not be bought with government benefits, government food benefits. And I don't want to get into brand names or anything like that, but.
Speaker 1: Just to avoid any sort of lawsuits, although you never be able to do that, but to shield you from successful lawsuits, I guess you could tie it to the fact that if you're getting government assistance, it's also the government that's responsible for your health care. So if we're paying for your health care, we've got to say in what you're putting in your mouth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that would be one way to do it.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, and you're going to have the hardest issue is you can't, like you said, you're not going to be able to just tell people not to do it. There's got to be some sort of there's got to be some sort of a cost.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's an incentive.
Speaker 4: There is a carrot and a stick.
Speaker 2: The incentive is obviously, listen, with all the stories we've done about ozembic and all these smaglatides, the glp ones, we talk about the incredible benefits that have come from these these types of drugs. It's not the drug that is giving you the benefit. Necessarily. The drug is turning off that thing in your brain that tells you that you're still hungry or that you want that food or whatever. It's the fact that you're losing weight that is making the huge difference in your health. That's the thing. It's not the drug, it's it's what the drug did to your chemical brain that then allowed your body to reduce its weight and that I feel better, I can sleep better, I can move again. I don't have muscle and bone aches or anything like that. I don't know, my cholesterol cleared out, whatever it is. Those are the benefits. If you could teach people that those benefits come from making simple food choices, then there would be a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Or just making smarter choices, like I love a nice casserole or lasagna or whatever, but there's ways to make it so it's not.
Speaker 4: So don't eat it four times a day.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, you know we made a joke about well, pizza right, is that what you're gonna say?
Speaker 4: Pizza right?
Speaker 2: It's not an everyday thing. It's not every day, it's not even an every month thing. It's just when it's appropriate or fun, it's okay to eat whatever the hell you want. You just can't have seven servings of it.
Speaker 4: I'll bet you I could.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've seen you put down some food.
Speaker 4: I could.
Speaker 2: But I can't do it all the time. No, I can't do it all the time. And that's frustrating because I really want to. But anyway, the one thing that he didn't do is he didn't talk about our FK Junior and all of this.
Speaker 3: And listen, he's trying to get a leg up over there.
Speaker 2: He's trying to do this before Trump takes office, before our FK becomes the Secretary of Health and Human Service. He's trying to do it so that he could say, uh, listen, uh listen, we've been doing it for a long time, forever.
Speaker 1: Right, They've followed California's path, just like the government always can and should.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah blah blah blah. We didn't get a chance to talk about it yesterday. New laws for the state of California. And there's one that is going to be a particular there's one that has me scratching my head.
Speaker 4: And I'll explain which one it is and why I don't quite get it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, it about cannabis.
Speaker 1: It is not Is it about fertility treatments with egg retrieval?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Is it about crosswalks?
Speaker 4: Yes, story out of DC.
Speaker 2: It looks as if Mike Johnson is going to lose the first speakership vote. We just saw Republican Congressman Ralph Norman of South Carolina vote for Jim Jordan to be Speaker of the House. So there's now two Republicans who voted against Mike Johnson. Of course, Thomas out of Kentucky was the other one, and he could only Mike Johnson could only afford one defection, and we saw that with Thomas Massey. Ralph Norman of South Carolina is the second one. So this looks unlikely that he would get the first Scott has ballot Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 2: And again this is like you said earlier at the beginning of the show, this is when all the deal making takes place. Mike Johnson has said he's not going to make any deals. That's not how he does his job. But we'll see if there are. If he's not making deals, someone might be.
Speaker 1: A year after that panel blew out of the Boeing seven thirty seven MAX during flight, the FAA says the company needs to change its culture and put safety above profits.
Speaker 3: Let me repeat that.
Speaker 1: A year after the panel the door blew off mid flight, they say, maybe you worry less about the almighty buck and more about not killing people.
Speaker 3: Seems a little late to the game.
Speaker 4: Good timing.
Speaker 2: Meteorologists are looking for a strong snow and ice storm followed by very cold conditions along the eastern two thirds of the United States. This warning that came out today talked about the polar vortex, said that it could plunge as far south as Florida, and starting tomorrow, they said millions of people are going to be hit by moderate to heavy snow from Kansas City to DC, likely just south of that. After that, temperatures are expected to be of as much as twenty five degrees below normal, which is already chilly in January, but below normal for that cold spell.
Speaker 1: Do you have some free time this weekend? Because Apple TV Plus is trying to get people to binge. It's streaming TV and movies for free this weekend. They want to make a dent in their strategic popcorn reserve. Experts are calling it a canny promotion. It's in eighth place right now. Apple TV plus when you look at streamers and they want up at subscriber base. So the two day offer this Saturday and Sunday is intended to give yours a taste of what's behind that Apple paywall and get them hooked.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I already watched a bunch of stuff. We watched, uh we finished Shrinking of course, oh yeah, yeah, and then wanted last night to watch it again. There was a moment where I was like, we could watch that final episode again or the last episode, don't know if it's.
Speaker 4: The final episode.
Speaker 3: Why did you want to rewatch it?
Speaker 2: Because we needed a palid cleanser for after what well actually everything to set up the Agency, which is on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I thinking about getting into that. I just I wanted My brother told me that I would like Lioness as well. He's like strong female lead and blah blah blah, and I'm just like, I'm just not a spy person.
Speaker 2: The Agency is much more spy e yeah, a lot less action, but I've heard it's fantastic. It's very well done. Michael Fassbender is really great as the main character. So we were talking earlier also about the security protocols in New Orleans that the ballards and other safety things that were to be placed along Bourbon Street and Canal Street ahead of not only the Sugar Bowl, but the Super Bowl and Marti Graus, et cetera. That they're in the process of doing it, and they had temporary ballards and temporary barricades up early as.
Speaker 4: A psychodrope on the sidewalk.
Speaker 3: I don't think the concrete barriers would have stopped them.
Speaker 2: No, That's the thing is, the sidewalks would also have been covered by ballards.
Speaker 4: Can't.
Speaker 2: You can't get past those things that are set up. I mean they have big ones that are like hydraulic gates that come up. You see those in front of military installations. They have those in some of the areas. They were also using in some cases temporary ballards that are designed to when you hit them with a car, basically dig into the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Next time I was there on Bourbon Street a couple of years ago, they had those white cement blockages that you see in front of courthouses or what have you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, krail, krail is the metal one. That's the term for it. Anyway, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yah, The white yeah, in construction sites.
Speaker 1: All right, So new California laws going into effect. Some of them are well, here we go. Cannabis cafes are addressed in the new laws. Local jurisdictions, they say, could give the green light to permit certain cannabis retailers to prepare and sell drinks and food that do not contain cannabis.
Speaker 3: So go for the weed, stay for the turkey wrap.
Speaker 2: That also gives them the ability to host ticketed live events on their premises. Premises Miners who make money by producing online content should get some extra financial protection the Cougan Act. This expands the Cougan Act, which is named after one of the world.
Speaker 4: Famous child actors.
Speaker 2: Longtime law requires parents open a trust and set aside at least fifteen percent of their child actor's gross earnings. The rules have been expanded to include these new kid influencers. Child influencers paid for online content like.
Speaker 1: The kid that opens the toys in the boxes, That Kid's gotta be seventeen, still making all kinds of money prem Several education bills signed into law this year, ranging from rules to protect young people from being outed against their will to rules that require elementary schools to offer free menstruation products.
Speaker 4: I just think that's a funny.
Speaker 1: Term, menstruation product products. You would rather just say period stuff, period stuff.
Speaker 2: You can't sell a tuning kit for an e bike. Usually a tuning kit you can modify the speed capability of an electric bike, so it's no longer to find as an e bike those will be prohibited. Already has speed guidelines for bikes. For example, a Class one bike has a motor that kicks in when rider is pedaling tops out of twenty miles an hour. Class three motor is meant to stop at twenty eight. Those bikes can include speedometers, and they said modifying speed of e bikes is already illegal and unsafe.
Speaker 1: I was talking to a friend who's got a couple of kids thirteen fifteen, and she's like, yeah, my kids love the e bike we got, you know, go sixty miles an hour. And I had to bite my freaking tongue because I don't have kids. So I feel like that means I sit it all of those conversations out right, But I wanted to say, what the hell are you doing. They don't even know the rules of the road. They haven't been a learner's permit. Hell, yet they don't know about turns and all those things.
Speaker 3: And I is that antiquated? Am I Am?
Speaker 1: I in the minority now of thinking that if you've got something that goes sixty miles, that's a car and you're unprotected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would also say I would push back on the whole sixty mile an hour thing.
Speaker 4: They go fast, sixties a little.
Speaker 3: Well whatever, I don't remember forty it was too fast too.
Speaker 4: It's too fast.
Speaker 2: But here's the one that I think is strange. If it's if you find a parking spot within twenty feet of any marked or unmarked crosswalk, you're going to have to find a new spot. Starting this year, you can be ticketed for parking within twenty feet of a crosswalk, even if there is no no parking sign posted.
Speaker 3: Now, riddle me that is What is the point behind.
Speaker 4: That part of a two year legislation. I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's no reasoning. In this article from the Daily News, a no parking.
Speaker 2: Zone decreases to fifteen feet if there is a curb extension present, Who's going to pay them? Do they then have to mark those spots as red?
Speaker 4: Do they do?
Speaker 2: These jurisdiction now have jurisdictions, I should say have the requirement to go and mark all of these as no parking spots, even though you don't have to have a sign present. It's something to do with pedestrian safety, something to do with somebody being able to see somebody getting into the crosswalk without having their view obstructed by a car that's in the parking spot.
Speaker 4: But that's that.
Speaker 2: I just feel like that's going to eventually be taken to court by somebody who gets.
Speaker 4: Ticketed for that.
Speaker 1: Here are the playoff implications for the final week of the regular season in the NFL. The Ravens can clinch the AFC North tomorrow with a win over the Browns or.
Speaker 3: A loss by the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Steelers can win the division with a Ravens a loss and win over the Bengals. Bengals need a win to stay alive for a wild card spot. Well, they also need the Dolphins and the Broncos to lose. Denver needs a win. They will clinch a playoff spot with a win over the Chiefs, who are resting everybody and Denver plays at home. The Dolphins need to win over the Jets and a Broncos loss, and if your head hurts sodas mine. You ever heard of slab city? Listen, we like the libertarian movement. The Last Free place in America sounds kind of nice.
Speaker 2: This is a piece of land out in the our section of the Sonoran Desert, ours being California's version of the Sonoran Desert, about forty five miles north of the border, referred to by its residents as the last free place in America. They said it's populated by drug addicts, eccentrics, army veterans, and hippies. Or, as the Wizard puts it, he's the guy who greets everybody. He's like the moose out in front. He says, everyone is one hundred percent sertifiably insane, and I mean that from a clinical perspective.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 1: This is what happens when you let mentally ill people build their own playground in the desert.
Speaker 3: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: They define it as an anarcho republic, a community of freethinkers who want to operate under their own rules.
Speaker 3: So this is just skid row and the desert.
Speaker 4: Sounds like it.
Speaker 2: The buildings resembled discarded junk sculptures made up of old tires, post apocalyptic vehicles, mannequin legs, and dollhouses that, of course prompts conspiracy theories about Stalin's relationship to dolphins.
Speaker 3: What I didn't know that was few.
Speaker 1: That's a conspiracy theory that I was blind to.
Speaker 2: Alongside these sculptures, people have no concept of private land ownership. They generally tend to employ what they refer to as an informal economy that's based on cash, water, and weed. A reporter for Spin magazine who went and checked this out encountered a roving group of actor musicians called Jester Jizz, one of whose songs revolves around.
Speaker 4: Seaman quality.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Describing the group's on stage get up, Jonah Gurky said, everyone in the group wears clown paint and flowing robes. They play ethereal music from a boombox and perform free verse that ruminates on our cosmic origins, the chicken or egg question, and the decline of semen quality since nineteen eighty What.
Speaker 1: Do you think the semen quality at slab City is? Let's go a scale of one to ten. How about an old gas go around? Shall we are you sure? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: A little semen quality survey on a Friday. Let's see, guys, it is a town where everyone is certifiably insane. Drug addicts, eccentrics, army veterans, and hippies. Everybody is insane from a clinical perspective. Semen quality on a scale of one to ten, ten being the strongest swimmers.
Speaker 3: Jacob, Oh, I'm going to yeah.
Speaker 1: Debra, you want to weigh in on the semen quality.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm going to say one.
Speaker 1: One, Yeah, well one, I'll go with a two point three. Give these people a little shout out.
Speaker 2: I'm going to surprise you here. I'm going to say a five. Wow, Well, because I think I think these people. We spent a lot of time talking about ultra processed foods, and that may be one of the reasons why we have such low quality.
Speaker 1: You think these people are making their own foods and things? Oh yeah, Oh they are, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't think any of them got COVID shots. I don't think any of them have any sort of I don't think they have like n like. Yeah, they're wearing natural fibers. Yes, that's one way to put it. The one thing that's not making it higher is that they live in the desert.
Speaker 4: But a lot of.
Speaker 1: Free balling, a lot of that probably will get you to the five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I'll get you there possible.
Speaker 2: Now, this whole thing, by the way of this used to be a military base. Slab City used to be Camp Dunlop, and it was a training ground for field and anti aircraft artillery units. And it had to be in an area that was accessible by planes that were taken off from carriers near San Diego.
Speaker 4: So you fly inland a little ways and this is where you do it.
Speaker 2: The government announced that the base was going to be named after Marine Corps Brigadory General Robert Dunlop after construction was completed. It was commissioned in nineteen forty two, fully functioning buildings, water roads, sewage collection. The base was used for three years during the war. By forty nine, basically they weren't doing anything out there, but the crew skeleton crew was out there until about nineteen fifty six when all of the buildings were taken down. They still had the slabs the foundations that these buildings were built on. That's why they now call it Slab City.
Speaker 1: This may play into the Dolphins because Russia's military is using specially trained dolphins to defend a critical naval base off Crimea. In fact, one of the most well known military dolphin training programs was run by the US name. These dolphins detect and mark underwater mines, They locate sunk in ships. They assist divers in underwater search and rescue missions. Dolphins have been used for decades by the military in various places on the globe.
Speaker 4: Dollin relationship to dolphins.
Speaker 1: He may have been one of the first too identified the use of dolphins in warfare.
Speaker 2: The federal government eventually conveyed the land of the state of California back in sixty one because Department of Defense realized they didn't really need it very much more, didn't have any restrictions, any recapture clauses or restoration provisions, and all of the former buildings had been taken off like I said, so the slabs were not supposed to be removed. Legislation did require that any revenue generated from the property would go to cal Stars, the state teacher's retirement system.
Speaker 4: There was an.
Speaker 2: Article in Trailer Life and RV magazine back in the mid eighties that told people, Hey, there's this funny, weird former military base out in the desert.
Speaker 4: You could go if you don't.
Speaker 2: Want to go to Palm Springs, or if you want to go to Palm Springs and make a rite, you could live out in the desert. And they said in about nineteen eighty eight, they said there were about two thousand trailers and RVs that were parked out there in this urgeting community.
Speaker 1: And it sounds nice, but that then that echo chamber was born, the echo chamber of crazy, but with no walls.
Speaker 2: An article in Smithsonian back in twenty eighteen said that this was a squatter's paradise where the locals said they considered it to be one of the last free places. And this article said, again this was from Smithsonian, there are clearly people there who don't want to be found. So there's something about disappearing.
Speaker 3: That's the desert for it.
Speaker 4: Desert offers that kind of an opportunity.
Speaker 1: A lot of law enforcement people have bunkers out in the desert just all so hot.
Speaker 2: I mean temperatures over one hundred and twenty sometimes in June July.
Speaker 1: Get acclimated ps circle back Hi go on Stallin train dolphins during the Cold War to attack enemy ships with harpoons you weaponized his dolphins.
Speaker 3: Boom. All right, I'm gonna go order the pizza.
Speaker 2: The Washington Post said that the population in this place is seasonal, balloons up to about four thousand people during the winter and then down to about one hundred and fifty in the summer because of the heat. What you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show, let us know. Leave us a message on the talkback feature on the iHeart app and we'll get to those late in the show, just before our nine news nuggets. You need to know a check in on DC. We'll do swamp Watch when we come back to Gary and Shannon. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.