Speaker 1: This is Orton Wells speaking from London. A black a museum of death.
Speaker 2: Yes, here in the grim Stone structure on the Thames which houses.
Speaker 1: Cotton Yard, is a warehouse.
Speaker 2: Of homicide where everyday objects a fountain pen, a cufflink, a high heeled shoe, all touched by murder.
Speaker 1: Here's a sky horn.
Speaker 2: And ragged the faded tartan, the cheap reproduction of the honorable colors of the Stewarts, red with green blue crossings and a double over check of white and yellow. The guard belonged to Walter Hoffman, Pierssky, known to the police and his friends in the underworld as the Pike. There's no doubt about the scarf being his property, Superintendent.
Speaker 1: He was wearing it when he was sent to Dartmore ten years ago.
Speaker 3: The description saler of him exactly.
Speaker 4: It's all written down in the prison property book, even to the papelofe. So the pikes are made and yet him they did, and all because of a scarf appropriately known in cockney circles.
Speaker 1: As a choker.
Speaker 2: The pike applies his choker to human throats, the throat of.
Speaker 1: The driver of a post office.
Speaker 2: Then the pike pulled the choker too hard. It was instrumental in convicting him of murder, and that's why it turned its place here in the Black Museum.
Speaker 5: From the annals of the Criminal Investigation Department of the London Police, we bring you the dramatic stories of the crimes recorded.
Speaker 6: By the objects in Scotland Yards Gallery of Death, the Black Museum.
Speaker 1: Here we are from the Black Museum. Beyond these gray walls.
Speaker 2: The mighty roar of London never sucks in its crimes. Come with me out of the freeze of death masks, the masks of criminals of bygone days, suspends it grimly.
Speaker 1: Under the ceiling.
Speaker 2: Come to our right and left, rolls of murder exhibits.
Speaker 1: Each one carefully labels that.
Speaker 2: Cut glass sensory, subtractive, even known.
Speaker 1: I even take its play on matter's stressing table. So we stopping the label written under it.
Speaker 2: I asked, been used to spray anesthetic over the faces of helpless women as a prelude to murder? No sickly a roma now, So we squeezed the ball, except for its grim associations. The fragile exhibits, insignificant, easily broken. I thought it was strong enough to hang a man who used it. There has a brass candlestick over.
Speaker 1: Their taper to go with it. Now here we are, here's what we're looking for, the fabous tartan. As I taken out of the showcase.
Speaker 2: I asked you to come with me back to the time when this scarf was new fifteen years ago. Walter Keetsky bought it from a storeholder in one of London's famous street markets, Kurt Lane.
Speaker 7: Yes, so I'll take one of the stars, mister, Right.
Speaker 8: Sir, he's wishing my word. What's your plain temple's temeral? But damon on a cloud, old genuine tonton today jump from the.
Speaker 2: Iron right, all right, I've bought it already.
Speaker 9: Don't need to give me that stuff. I'll take this one.
Speaker 8: It's the Stewart and fetterla that you cannot do not offer the car, not five off the con and chip of the price, Thank you very much. Can it get just such temples from honest John mackay?
Speaker 1: Can it for the honest? John continued his honest trade.
Speaker 2: The pike went about his own particular business was less exhausting than John's, and it was worked from a public call box.
Speaker 1: In professional circles. They called it the hospital trick.
Speaker 10: Hella, is that missus Peterson speaking the London hospital?
Speaker 1: Here in missister sitson.
Speaker 3: There's no need for a mediate alarm, but I'm sorry to say that your husband is met with a serious accident. What happened?
Speaker 9: He was knocked down by a bus in the White Chapel Road about half an hour ago, A mean, crude trick.
Speaker 1: But more often than not had worked.
Speaker 2: While the stricken woman hurried to the hospital to find the husband, who of course is not at it all. The pike would visit a house with the coast crave to help himself whatever he could lay his hands on and get out before the.
Speaker 1: Bewildered woman returned.
Speaker 2: And you noticed that the pike could almost camoufage that accent.
Speaker 1: This gift gave him a confidence which was almost his undoing. One time when he and some friends.
Speaker 2: Were removing the entire contents of the house while the owners were away on holiday, What about.
Speaker 3: The piano pike?
Speaker 1: Do we take that?
Speaker 9: Of course, we take everything you would think of moving out and leaving a piano yard.
Speaker 11: They get this bill, okay, boys, heads, oh Craig in a phone, what.
Speaker 1: Don't we do about that?
Speaker 4: Did it?
Speaker 1: Ring us face.
Speaker 3: Maybe someone's seen the van. I said, he's checking up the glasses. Yeah, yeah, go easy, don't worry.
Speaker 11: I don't know my jobs that.
Speaker 7: Are Oh yeah, hello, No, I'm howefully sorry.
Speaker 9: He won't be back until about seven o'clock.
Speaker 7: I'm his brother in law.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 9: Oh, Julie's just got up half an hour.
Speaker 3: Can I take a message?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think you can.
Speaker 11: I'm a runner.
Speaker 7: Who the plaser?
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Boys?
Speaker 7: Let's get out of here.
Speaker 2: So the piano was left behind after all, but Frank got away with most of the household belongings and observed not only were his operations becoming bold of us yet planned his action care but he even knew that missus Wilson's first name was Julie, but he didn't know she had a brother. That must have shaken him, because from then on he changed his tactics. The Pike entered the Motor Rackets, a racket which was to take him, in turn from Dartmoor Prison to the scaffold. But in his early days as a motor seif.
Speaker 1: There was still a trace of strange humor about his work. The padlock car was a case in point.
Speaker 3: Ojay, how okay?
Speaker 1: Do you tell me me he wouldn't go reaching for the gunman parking.
Speaker 9: Wolves, don't you?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, park is reserved. A relax and listen to me.
Speaker 12: I've got a job for you.
Speaker 1: I'm off of it. Okay.
Speaker 5: We who pays the rent?
Speaker 1: Many going in for the small shop?
Speaker 3: Well, this is a small job I'm offering you.
Speaker 1: What are you bussing in to the Bank of England.
Speaker 9: It's a simple matter of knocking off a nice new motor.
Speaker 1: Well, what's the open? It's this way. A car belongs to a fellow named Lambert who lives at fourteen grays Dyke.
Speaker 10: Presently see he can't get it into the Gama's beside the house, and a.
Speaker 1: Kind of had been too big? Why didn't measure it before? He concerned?
Speaker 3: He knocks the car up at night and I will change it. Do you pick a head of key?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Nice work here? What do you want me on the job?
Speaker 3: For you yourself?
Speaker 1: Oh there is a little complication. Oh I thought there would be.
Speaker 9: It's been a lamb. But there's like a mother with a child over this car. He fixes it to a lamb pushtip and I put two big padlocks and a double chain.
Speaker 3: When it doesn't put a nappy on it.
Speaker 1: What do we do? We take the let post as well as the car before I'll tell you. Are you in with me or our pikeman and listen to what I tell you.
Speaker 2: In the early hours of the following morning, the Pike and his assistant went along to grays Jack crescented and there, sure enough changed at the lamp post outside number fourteen was a fine new motor car, its celluloss and chromium work glinting invitingly under the lamplight.
Speaker 3: We can clean up four fifty on this, and all we've got to do is to remove the back wheel, which is chained of a lamp post. We could on the stair and went away.
Speaker 12: Okay, Pike, let's get quickly.
Speaker 2: The offending wheel was removed from the axle and left still chained to the lamp post, and by the light of the helpful rays from above, the spare wheel was bolted on. The tools were replaced in the boot, and the two men climbed into the car.
Speaker 1: I hope that if.
Speaker 3: Mission key of yours work.
Speaker 12: Spot.
Speaker 3: Of course it works, I tried to add last night.
Speaker 1: Oh good feel and here we out.
Speaker 11: I told you it was going to be easy, didn't I.
Speaker 1: His money for Old River.
Speaker 7: And I are good if you are key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just didn't mean I when you need any more, I'm a man.
Speaker 2: Ordofiesky pulled his tart and scarfs snugly around his throat and agreed that he would certainly keep his assistant in mind.
Speaker 1: The cat itself was taken to a garage.
Speaker 2: Where its numbers and appearance were carefully changed, and in due course found its way by devious routes back to the open market. The Pike, of course, had to split the profits, which hurt him, so on his next job he decided to work alone. And it was the next job which put him on a long, long walk, which was to finish on the scaffold.
Speaker 3: Now, what's the number of the couch? Here's this works part. Lady, you're in the money.
Speaker 9: It all depends on how good I can sign on the phone.
Speaker 1: A couple boss itself.
Speaker 7: Here we go, Oh, brain spells.
Speaker 1: Hello brings.
Speaker 9: Yes, my name is Maurice Blue of seventeen Grandfoot cot.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I know big pockets. That's right.
Speaker 9: I am staying here with a friend, the Major General Louis. He tells me that you have a new Roles coupee in your showroom. Yes, I yes, well, I'm anxious to take such a car back to the continent with me, but time is dressing. Yes, if someone could bring the car I should like to see.
Speaker 1: Are you sure that is not too much trouble? No, thank you, hurry, thank you. I should be waiting for you.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes later, the car drove up to the block of flats. The driver salesman got out and went inside.
Speaker 1: Entering the lift, he went up to the third floor, after the door of number seventeen.
Speaker 2: Needless to say, the occupier had never heard of either Maurice Bluett.
Speaker 1: Or Najor General Lewis.
Speaker 2: But while the questions and explanations sorted themselves out, well that Yessky was already driving the luxury car toward the garage, where practiced hands were waiting to completely change its identity. First, what the Pike did not know was that he had provided the police with a vital clue and was to lead him first to prison and then, by reason of the tartan scarf.
Speaker 1: To the gallows.
Speaker 2: But the scarf was yet to earn its place, of course, among these strange exhibits here in the Black Museum. We returned to Walter Chevski, known as the Pike, elated that the success of his confidence Scartrick he made a handsome prophet on the rolls, and despite the fact that the police subsequently traced it, they never traced the theft back to the Pike, not until he tried the same operation again. Certainly changed the district, but as is so often the case of the regular criminal, he developed regular habits and the routine served up to the local garage was almost exactly as before.
Speaker 10: Leslie and it says you got the straight eche in the showroom. I'm most anxious to get car back for the continent with me, but kis pressing.
Speaker 1: If you're sure that it's not too much trouble, that.
Speaker 3: Is most kind. Thank you excellent, But.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't think it was so excellent from your point of view if you knew what was happening at the garage.
Speaker 1: Fight.
Speaker 5: Hello, give me the police.
Speaker 1: Is that Scott in yard?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: Information, Listen, my name is Slader. I run again on Carl's.
Speaker 1: Brook Street, No. One.
Speaker 5: A few weeks ago the local police warned me about a carfeo who worked at Telephone Drink as his head was going to take cars around to fake addresses for inspection. It might be him or it might be Dingling, but he asked me to take a car around to twenty one Coast in court All Street.
Speaker 2: On the advice of Scotland. The artists later took the car to Ghost and Court to make it easier for the seats. He he left the doors unlocked and went into the building. When he was safely inside, the pike left his telephone box and walked smartly over to the waiting motor.
Speaker 1: There were just two things he didn't know.
Speaker 2: First, an ignition wire had been snipped, and second he was being watched. You'll never start until that broken wires and mended bike. You're wasting your time. You've got to waste a lot more time too, seven years.
Speaker 1: To be exact. Hello, you're han't a bit of start in trouble.
Speaker 5: Hello officer.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know what happened.
Speaker 1: Here, said I start things for Celoconsta.
Speaker 5: Here a gains two of you, and there's a lot more at the end of the roads.
Speaker 7: The board.
Speaker 5: You hop out of that and let us see whether.
Speaker 9: We can't get the car go.
Speaker 3: I can manage all the same.
Speaker 1: You might let us have a go for you. Okay, that's the idea. I use the order of the car.
Speaker 7: Hold his doors.
Speaker 9: Yet they tell you.
Speaker 10: He told hi quit go alrights everyone?
Speaker 1: How is he got to his door? Bright his face right? Take us mend of the scene. What's his name? I'm talking very well.
Speaker 10: I'm charging you with grievous bodily harm and resisting arrest for the attempted.
Speaker 9: Theft of this vehicle.
Speaker 2: There may be further charges. There were further charges, including the theft of the Big Roles. Walter Jessky alias the Pike, had played the same game once too often. In the search of his flat in the East End produced more evidence of his very career in crime.
Speaker 1: The police been waiting for him to think his first mistake the time he'd done it. If the Old Bailey pleaded.
Speaker 2: Guilded over a hundred crimes, and there were hundreds more with which he was never charged. He was sent to prison for seven years, and immediately on his reception his personal belongings were added in the property book, and he was wearing the tartan scarf which later was to hang him. Had gray seven half collar, sixteen brown one scarf, red background, green and blue striped white.
Speaker 5: And yellow overchecked that cant it?
Speaker 1: Do you know that puk cell I bought it from him?
Speaker 9: Petticoat lane taking his word for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a small chair five.
Speaker 5: Inches from one corner, roughly patched and put that down.
Speaker 1: Boys, I want to choose you of you, I'll.
Speaker 5: Be retired by then one pair letter gloves size ain't one fair black socks, ten brown shoes me The Tartan scarf had been duly entered, and little did the retiring prison officer dream that his hastily scribbled details would have be subsequently brought up as key evidence in.
Speaker 1: A murder trial.
Speaker 2: But Tifsky signed the list of his personal him. For the next seven years he was a guest of His Majesty's government in the most famous prison in England, Dartmoor. But in nineteen forty six justice had run its course, the pike was given back his personal properties, which included the Tartan scarf. Of course, all due resigned for though he was released upon a battles guard London. Time passed and he added to his lawful wages by meager pickings from the black markets. And more time passed until one day the inspiration came to him like a bolt from the blue.
Speaker 1: He molded over in his mind.
Speaker 2: He carried out the research, and not until the plans were cut and dried did he put ed Javison in the picture.
Speaker 3: This is going to be the cleaner baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is your pike?
Speaker 12: We're going to stick up a pust office vans, a poutful fast and.
Speaker 3: Standing in her chef selling papers.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I had a big post office in the West End. Every night I watched the mail bags coming out and going into the vans.
Speaker 1: Arounround six o'clock. And the other night I hired a car and followed one.
Speaker 3: It comes through Western News the park lane.
Speaker 1: Did you say you hired the car? Yes? What about it? Never mind?
Speaker 3: There go on and I had it out three nights and I found the vans don't change their root. It's the news in beside that's off a bit of traffic, you see.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, they're good board.
Speaker 3: Now the news are very dark, badly bombed and.
Speaker 5: No residents with our cancy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All we have to do is get a fast car and wait down until the last dan comes through. How many are there? Only two? We draw our car out on the path of the second one. As if we were going to back into the galla. See the van stops.
Speaker 9: We fixed the two men and fill up our car from the back and bring the top back.
Speaker 3: Here salt to the salt.
Speaker 2: How I like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, here we can bring it through the back way.
Speaker 1: When do we do it? Well?
Speaker 3: I think our most comfortable or a bit to night Friday?
Speaker 1: What about a car?
Speaker 12: You can leave that to me.
Speaker 2: And Walter Peirsky ran through the forward. He wanted a fast car in a hurry. He applied the mesadine you. We worked a telephone trick on the young and trusting motor salesman who duly delivered a shining, high powered.
Speaker 1: Limousine to a block of flats has He disappeared.
Speaker 7: Into the entrance full of expectation.
Speaker 1: The pike drove off rapidly to Braston News for his partner was waiting for him.
Speaker 2: The timing was perfect. As the car starts, the first post office van was already approaching.
Speaker 12: Okay, get there, done it in the council. The second one might be more than a minute to sobid.
Speaker 1: Because ten o'clock brought tight onto us.
Speaker 7: How did you get this sparass in hand stand?
Speaker 2: Pick safe to leave him in the back of the luggage.
Speaker 12: No, nothing can get by.
Speaker 1: Now, what happens if something charged to get through before the van or arts?
Speaker 3: Wait for it didn't come back another night, didn't necessarily it's this.
Speaker 1: It's a van. We're going to be all right.
Speaker 7: Nobody about couldn't.
Speaker 3: Get up? Yeah, keep your tin tucking the car.
Speaker 12: Like me, pretend to be putting the car.
Speaker 3: But could a push?
Speaker 12: Sorry it musn't leave a van.
Speaker 8: Oh well, look in that cake.
Speaker 5: I want to do about trying yourself tend body.
Speaker 3: If you could ring this number for us and you get to your own destination, it's it's my again. Lock them send a breakdown for you.
Speaker 7: That's the idea? Or I am I doing that for you?
Speaker 5: Or do it for nothing?
Speaker 3: Oh tell me very kind.
Speaker 7: If you've got a pencil, I don't down the name. It's not a very difficult one.
Speaker 1: You always a pencil.
Speaker 7: He set steeves, I shot my boat.
Speaker 1: Were stop getting the back up quick?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 7: I sets you up to snible images. I'll choke him. This girl's choking me here crept in the bad's head? What time god swinging pullet?
Speaker 13: Who start getting a song in the car okay, oh all right.
Speaker 7: That's about as much as we you canna take? Oh what's happened to the joy or nobody about he?
Speaker 1: And get moving? He look at he's charmed his eyes.
Speaker 11: You've killed him.
Speaker 8: Stop talking dinner with a job. There's a girl coming, they thought listening to his lights. Here's the crops for this.
Speaker 7: Get out of here. I'll take on the corner here after this, what's the champy lights?
Speaker 8: There is sunny hummy.
Speaker 9: Don't really, I'd at least charge rod that body on the car, but get away.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to make you points avain.
Speaker 7: So are we talking about.
Speaker 1: Their jackets at the head of the hatch, so mutilated that his body.
Speaker 2: Could not be identified. By some miracle, the pike escaped and staggered away into the shutdows, but his tie and scarf was still round.
Speaker 1: The throat of his victim lying in the muse.
Speaker 2: Now, let's Superintendent Brandrew to take up the story of the hunt.
Speaker 9: Oh, the hunt was soon over the fact.
Speaker 1: As soon as the car has reported stolen.
Speaker 12: I had a call from one of myn'spect I WoT it like a slid Harrison stolen car.
Speaker 10: Hmm, Well, but I checked with criminal records.
Speaker 3: There was something familiar about the method, calling.
Speaker 12: Up the garage and getting the salesman to deliver the car.
Speaker 1: A block of feet.
Speaker 3: And now here's the list of men practiced there. Now these two were inside a present. This lane is going straight. But he's out of London anyway. And I believe this one Walter Tievsky. The Pike no where to find him, and he's sharing a place of a man named Caleson.
Speaker 1: In the east s right.
Speaker 3: Bring him in.
Speaker 2: But before the Pike was picked up for questioning about the car, his scarf was found in Branson news.
Speaker 3: He recognizes the one which we believed Jeff gets stolen. So here the evidence against him was already piling up.
Speaker 10: If he was the car thief, he was probably the murder as well. But I needed that extra piece of evidence. I called for everything that was known about him, intuiting the list of his personal property which he had signed in prison. It was a shot in the dark, but it yielded it results.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about the scarf being his property. Superintendents even to the patch on it.
Speaker 2: Within twenty four hours, the Pike was caught, still dazed by the car crash, he offered no resistance. In due course he was convicted of the murder of William Price, the driver of the post office. Then and at eight o'clock one cold morning in February he was hanged. All because of this Tartan scud, which has earned its place to day in the Black Museum. Long Under English law there are no degrees of murder, and the death sentence has to be pronounced on a man or woman convicted of the crime. Recommendations to mercy by the jury are always carefully considered, but in the case of Walter H. Piirvsky, no such recommendation was made. The evidence against him was unshakable, and on the eve of his execution he reproached himself bitterly, not for the death of his victim or even his unfortunate partner, but for.
Speaker 1: Two other reasons. The supreme crime of murder had brought him no profits, and as his last hour.
Speaker 2: Approach, he became increasingly angry at his own forgetfulness. Iron They usually overlooked something, and that's why they faded. Piece of Tartan had earned its place here among the other exhibits in the Black Museum.
Speaker 1: Now, so we need again in the same place for another story about the Black Museum, and remains always obediently US