Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. The big rally for Harrison Walls went down yesterday in Pennsylvania, and.
Speaker 2: It was a show of voter enthusiasm. Let's start swamp watch right there. Swamp is horrible, so the government doesn't work.
Speaker 3: God man make it's like a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Cor was a bad doos always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC. Ay Joey.
Speaker 4: A town hall too, clearly built on a swamp in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. That's a batch of Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: Body said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 4: I said, Oh, that's so he keepsh You know the thing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's shaping up to have Tim Walls as the bulldog and Kamala Harris looking like the opposite of Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen. She looks excited, she looks competent, she does not look angry. They've learned to let the VP really go after their opponents.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 4: Jd Vance literally literally wrote the foreword for the Architect of the Project twenty twenty five agenda.
Speaker 3: Like all regular people, I grew up with in the heartland.
Speaker 4: Jd studied at Yale, Zing had his career funded by Silicon Valley billionaires Zing Zing.
Speaker 3: And then wrote a best seller trashing that community.
Speaker 1: It's kind of odd going after him going to Yale.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's an impressive thing on the resume.
Speaker 6: From the history, the history that Jade Vance had as a child, Yeah, and the family history that he had. To go to Yale is quite an accomplishment that should be celebrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And coming from the left, it's just odd.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't they hold up the world of academia, you know, on the mantle of what's important in this country. Yeah, it's just an odd thing because JD. Vance is a number of things you can put down, you know, whether it's his childless catwoman turning off a major portion of the population with that one, or what have you. You don't have to put down going to Yale.
Speaker 2: He also said that he would love to debate JD.
Speaker 4: Vance, that is, if he's willing to get off the couch and show up.
Speaker 6: And again, the level of political discord both sides, both sides, it's at ultimate low. Let's actually have discussions about policy. Let's have discussions about what we the United States are going to do when World War three breaks out, because we've seen him closer than ever before. But he also used this was a term that you're gonna hear a lot coming up in these next three months.
Speaker 4: Unfortun I gotta tell you pointing out just an observation of mine that I that I made. I just have to say it. You know it, you feel it. These guys are creepy and yes, just where it is.
Speaker 3: Hell, that's what you see. That's what you see.
Speaker 6: Why the arena cheers when he comes up with a weak adjective like weird.
Speaker 2: Because that's how the ball got rolling.
Speaker 1: He was the first one to use that narrative on all the talking heads shows, and everyone took hold of the fact that Trump and Vans are weird and kind of weaponized that word. And they love it. They've owned it. You'll probably see T shirts and all the like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but then you'll also see, like we talked about Portland and Austin, you're gonna have T shirts with people that says I'm proud to be weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, and wasn't for men to breastfeed? What was that weird thing?
Speaker 2: What? Sorry?
Speaker 1: It was about a month ago, and it was some weird ass thing that the Republicans took hold of at the Trump rallies. And I thought it was like men who breastfeed or something of that nature, and they were like, I'm a man.
Speaker 2: Who breastfeeds, and it was just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So now we're hearing about what happened in that VP interview between Harris and Walls. Apparently they met in the dining room of the Naval Observatory on Sunday and he told her, I'm at the end of my career. This is not about me. I want to help working families or what have you. He said, if I have to run through a brick wall, I'll have to do the hard things. I'm going to do it. I'm not angling for anything else, and that she really liked that low ego approach. Not to mention he's affable, he's from the Midwest, football coach, not Jewish, number one soldier, high school teacher, all of the things. And they said that this was somebody who didn't have any major groups gunning for him. Progressives were lashing out at Josh Shapiro for his pro Israel position, you know, Jewish and Senator Mark Kelly out of Arizona drew criticism from labor leaders. This guy is in the pocket of the teachers unions too.
Speaker 2: Oh deeply, deeply.
Speaker 6: And if you had questions about one of the things that I would have said, I had you just asked me to make a decision based on the guy's history, without knowing his politics, just his life story about having grown up on a farm in Nebraska, living in Minnesota, I would have said he was one of those guys that was kind of a rub some dirt on it, get back in the game kind of guy. But when you look at the policies that he put in place, specifically around COVID, and again not to relitigate that whole thing, but it was not rub dirt on it, get back in the game. It was mandating vaccines for state workers. It was setting up literal hotlines for people to call and snitch on their neighbors who weren't following the procedures. I mean, this was not a guy that, like you've said, We've said a couple of times now, the book cover does not match the actual contents of the book.
Speaker 1: No, he's waving the red, white, and blue. But at the same time trying to wrestle away your liberty. And he is a big fan of socialism. You just have to go through his quotes. He is more left maybe than even Kamala.
Speaker 6: Harris, which is a crazy thing because she the decisions that you would think go into the traditional vice presidential running mate is to cover a base that she doesn't have, to attract a voter that she wouldn't otherwise attract.
Speaker 2: The moderates, and that's not who this is. Still looks moderate, But do your research. If you love him, you love him. That's great.
Speaker 6: Jade Vance is already clapped back at the things that Tim Walls has said. He gave an actual news conference this morning before one of his rallies, and we'll hear from him. Military run hearings for mastermind of the September eleventh attacks, Khalid Sheik Muhammad and his two code defendants at Guantanamo Bay are in upheaval. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, of course, decided to throw out the plea agreement. Defense attorneys contend that the plea deal still stands. They have suspended the participation at any pre trial hearings, while the legal challenges to what the Defense secretary did play out. The judge that's overseeing the case acknowledged some concerns about outside pressure. Of course, all of this the latest significant disruption of the military prosecution of defendants that were accused in the two thousand and one killings of almost three thousand people.
Speaker 1: Family of a French explorer who died in that submersible implosion has filed a more than fifty million dollar lawsuits saying the crew experienced terror and mental anguish before the disaster, accusing the subs operator of gross negligence.
Speaker 6: Multiple triathletes have been hospitalized, why because they swam.
Speaker 2: Really to the point of hospitalization.
Speaker 6: At least two and maybe more have been hospitalized after swimming in the river. There was supposed to be a two hour training session that was held today. It could be the only chance for swimmers to familiarize themselves with the course on the Sane River through the middle of Paris ahead of an event tomorrow and Friday.
Speaker 1: Because I know you follow BTS. Have you heard what happened with Sugar?
Speaker 2: I'd only heard parts of what you just said.
Speaker 1: What Sugar has apologized for driving an electric vehicle while intoxicated. It has nothing to do with it, completely irrelevant, min un G. Of course you knew that famous famously known as Sugar was driving an electric kickboard when he fell while parking it. Police officer spotted him failed the breathalyzer. He has his license revoked in a fine. An electric kickboard, because I know you're wondering what that is, refers to a type of vehicle without a seat, like a scooter. However, the police told local media that Sugar's vehicle did have a seat and resembled an electric scooter under traffic law.
Speaker 2: So he's going to get off on a technicality menu and g is going to find a loophole. Thank goodness. I hope it doesn't affect their tour.
Speaker 6: The White Sox did not lose last night. The White Sox ended their twenty one game losing streak thanks to the Oakland A's who willingly laid down. That's what they lay down for everybody. They're still on tractice at the record for losses in a season. The nineteen sixty two Mets lost one hundred and twenty games.
Speaker 2: It's a dark time.
Speaker 6: The White Sox are on track to lose one hundred and twenty three. What's the problem there, there's the Chicago white sox. I mean, I don't know how to get more specific than that. We're talking about the campaign and that kind of weird zinger that Tim Walls leveled at jd Vance that I don't have any friends in my town that went to Yale at his.
Speaker 3: Career funded by some Now this one right here, like all regular people I grew up with in the heartland, jd studied at Yale.
Speaker 2: Gotta laugh, actually from the crowd in Philly.
Speaker 1: Last, you're also suggesting that people from the heartland can't get into Yale or wouldn't want to. Again, I'm very confused by the messaging for higher education coming from the left.
Speaker 2: Good point. Jd Vance responded to that today.
Speaker 7: I came from a family where nobody in my family had ever gone to law school.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a poor family.
Speaker 7: The fact that Tim Waltz wants to turn it into a bad thing that I actually worked myself through college, through law school and made something myself. To me, that's the American dream, And if Tim Waltz wants to insult it, I think that's frankly pretty bizarre.
Speaker 2: Excellent point. Now, I don't like the bizarre at the end of it, because now we're weird. It's not weird, it's bizarre.
Speaker 1: Up the ante here, Trump says it's important for the country that he and Harris face off, even though he dropped out of the schedule Old One for next month.
Speaker 2: He was on Fox this morning.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 5: She's sort of a nasty person, but not a good good debater. But we'll see because we'll be debating her. I guess in the pretty dear future. It's going to be announced fairly soon, but we'll be debating her. I'd like to see it on Fox, by the way, I would like to see it. My preference would be Fox.
Speaker 8: But we have to debate.
Speaker 2: You have an announced minister. Are you working stuff out behind the scenes because we haven't heard about it yet. No.
Speaker 5: But I can tell you every network loves me very much right now. They love me very much. I've never been so loved by CBS and by ABC fake News so and by NBC and by NBC. No, they're all in love with me now. So that you know, I say yes because it's up to me obviously. Also, the most important thing is we get debate. I think debates are very important, and I think she'll be exposed, just like Biden was exposed. Nobody knew Biden was that bad, and then he was exposed during the debate, and they tried to have a series of comebacks after that, and they didn't work out too well, and they viciously overthrew him. He was overthrown at using every trick in the books. They overthrew him.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you had Nancy Pelosi working behind the scenes pulling the strings on that one.
Speaker 1: That was a quick dethrowning, wasn't it. He's got to get away from saying nasty. Probably that's going to turn off the swing voters. That's a Hillary Clinton callback.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: The nineteen sixty two New York Mets season was the first regular season for the Mets as the NL returned to New York. Yeah, they finished last in the NL, sixty and a half games behind the Giants, of course, formerly from New York. Right, sixty and a half games behind them.
Speaker 2: That's a half a season. I mean, you might as well. I don't know how you play on a team like that. Oh my gosh. It's just traveling and knowing you have no shot at a game is a really hard.
Speaker 6: Spot to be in they knew at the end of April they didn't have a shot. Now, granted, like you said, it was an expansion team.
Speaker 1: When you're hobbling through the end of the season with Easton Stick, it is a rough go.
Speaker 2: Nothing against him. He's a lovely human. Different sport, different sport. Do you have a Jeopardy question?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get togethers for one thousand dollars. Get together.
Speaker 1: At this Latin American celebration, the fifteen year old honoree gets her last doll. A symbol of the transition to adulthood would be estabien.
Speaker 2: Uh fereness col sabe. We're doing days of the week now Friday and the body knows it. There's a shout out for Richie. I don't remember how to say it exactly. How do we say it's Friday and the body knows it? In Espanol? Anybody all right? Well, this is a white show.
Speaker 6: Dodgers taking on the Phillies tonight in LA first Pitches at seven to ten. You can listen every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seven, the LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and stream all the games n HD on the iHeartRadio app used that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Elfin day Samana more more. The end of the week, comeos a d say body, oh this thing.
Speaker 6: Tropical Storm Debbie pushed bad weather up through the East Coast. Heavy rain, flooded highways, street stranded motorists from Georgia all the way up through New Jersey. In some places, officials in New York told people in basement apartments to be ready to get out. The center of Debbie right now is out over the Atlantic southeast of Charleston, but the storm has brought heavy rain from Florida, Georgia, North South Carolina all the way through into the Jersey in the New York area as well.
Speaker 1: Did you see the speed climbing the sport climbing event, Yeah, looks pretty brutal. They talk about the massive and strange injuries that occur on that sport. A lot of blood, people ripping their fingernails out and stuff.
Speaker 2: No thank you, no thank you?
Speaker 6: I mean, and how is that relatable to I mean, it's one thing I can understand. A marathon right, twenty six point two people had one of the originals. People had to do that right, and the hundred meters sprint.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 6: You know, there's there's some aspect of but maybe necessity in our in our anthropological past.
Speaker 2: Well, climbing could have been a necessity. It's not. It wasn't always just a fun and I guess a fun event on a cruise ship. I'm trying to get something out, get out of the way of something to share.
Speaker 1: There's a big animal and it's racing you, and you've got to climb up that wall because I need to speed climb. Dodgers taking on the Phillies Night in LA first pitch at seven to ten. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on A five seventy LA Sports Live from the gallopin Motors Broadcast Booth, stream all games NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy lash.
Speaker 2: You see that Billy Bean died? I did, and I got confused.
Speaker 6: There there's two Billy Beans. There are one of them works so were worked for the Oakland A's and played for the A's. Actually Moneyball Bean with an e yes two weeks I should say, Billy Bean, that's that Billy be This Billy Bean a former Dodger, former Padre former Tiger was the second formerly Major League baseball player to come out as gay.
Speaker 2: You know the first, no, Glenn Burke. Was that a guy from the sixty two Mets. No, okay, I played later than I want to say, late seventies.
Speaker 6: He came out to his team some of his teammates, I guess, but didn't come out publicly until much later. But that Billy Bean story was it's a sad the story about he ended up. He was married for a short time too, I think his college sweetheart, but only for a few years, and.
Speaker 2: Then randomly met a guy.
Speaker 6: They fell in love and they lived together for a long time, and then that guy died from AIDS cardiac arrest, this complication from AIDS, and it was a Billy Bean didn't go to his funeral because he was afraid to come out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's terrifying.
Speaker 6: In fact, the description of what happened, it was here in southern California when he died, where Billy Bean didn't want to take him to the closest hospital after he found him. He had collapsed because he had just made an appearance with the San Diego Padres in an exhibition game against I think it was the Angels. So he drove to a farther away hospital and the guy died. Well, he didn't die then, I mean he died the next day. But still the question of whether or not that complicated the problem. I mean, that's awful, it's awful story.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacob, since you are such a fan of female olymp sports, do you have a recap of anything that's struck your fancy?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: No, what about the pregnant olympian? Have you heard about her?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I haven't. Here's her quote.
Speaker 1: I felt my baby kick me before I shot this last arrow, and then I shot a ten. Her name is ya La gul Aramaza Nova and she is from Azerbaijan and all that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to learn from you. She's visibly pregnant. I mean she's got oh not one of those. She's six and a half months pregnant.
Speaker 2: Did she wear shoes while she was doing this?
Speaker 1: She's a first time olympian, she's thirty four, and she shared that while training for the Summer Games, she saw her unborn child as an extension of herself.
Speaker 2: I could see that. Well it is, she said.
Speaker 6: Technically, she said, I felt that I was not fighting alone but fighting together.
Speaker 2: The best part is her and her baby together beat China.
Speaker 6: Yes, they were eliminated in the next round, but still she made a bunch of fans out of her.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the Woody Show This Morning go On and they kept referring to China as stupid China and garbage China.
Speaker 2: It's great. Nothing brings us together America like our hatred of China. Did you see the fifteen hundred meter final last night? American Cole Hawker won.
Speaker 6: It was actually run while we were doing the show, but they did a great job last night of putting it back on primetime on NBC. There was a British guy named Josh Kerr clearly the favorite in this fifteen hundred meter race, which is four laps around the track. The big rival in the race was a guy from Norway named Jacob Ingebritsen, and they did a full video of the rivalry between these two guys and how one guy thinks the other guy's an idiot and the other guy calls the other guy an a hole and they go to social media to go after each other. Granted, it's European track and field, which gets much more publicity there than it ever would here. But these guys are going back and forth with each other and they can't stand each other. And the race starts and these two guys are in the lead, and there's a couple of there's like a Kenyan guy and an Ethiopian guy also, So these four sort of at the beginning the front of the pack, and you could tell they're jostling and they're kind of rubbing elbows and Rubbin's racing right well. All of a sudden, Cole Hawker comes out of nowhere on the inside of this The Norwegian guy almost runs him off the track because he's in the inside lane and Cole's trying to kind of squeeze by him on the inside, and they get a little tangled and Cole has to actually put his hand out and put touches the guy on the hip. And eventually these two, the British guy and the Norwegian guy, they're gonna race. They think they're the ones who are going to be the race. You know, this is going to be the finale, finale, the finale, as they say in from So they kind of move over to lane's two and three and they're gonna sprint it out right, Cole Hawker comes out of nowhere takes first place.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: The other American comes in third, and the British guy came in second with a with a silver.
Speaker 2: But it was just great.
Speaker 6: These guys nobody was expected. They were, you know, all caught up in their stupid little rivalry. All of a sudden, this American comes by and just wins the gold, totally unexpected.
Speaker 1: So there's a lesson in there for you kids. Don't focus on the negative. Focus on doing your best, not on beating somebody down. A great lesson that beautiful. The more you know, the more you know. Well, some years ago we talked about the plight of a single lobster on the East Coast and a woman by the name of Christine Lofgren I believe is her name, and her quest.
Speaker 2: Lave it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sorry, Christine, it's been a long time since we've spoken. If you could just retell the story of how you rescued a single lobster from a market there on the East Coast some five six years ago.
Speaker 8: Are you asking me to reat out because you have forgotten arguably one of the most important stories in to come out of North America in the last save twenty years.
Speaker 1: No, I just I remember the story about Lobby Joe and your dramatic rescue of Lobby Joe, because if you can just save one lobster, that's sometimes enough.
Speaker 2: I just don't tell it with the passion that you tell it.
Speaker 8: Well clearly, because you don't have a heart. And my boyfriend, partner life lover was with me. We saw a lobster in the grocery and decided that we wanted to save him and take him back to his place of birth. So we put him into a styroful cooler, drove him out to the east coast of Canada and put him back in the ocean, like anybody with a heart would have done. And we called him lobby Joe. That's the name we gave our lobster.
Speaker 2: So have you said, now, well, we don't know that.
Speaker 8: Well I know lobsters. He's pretty much dead now.
Speaker 1: So have you heard about this one in a million lobster that's been found off the New England coast. It's called a cotton candy lobster?
Speaker 8: Not only have I heard about it. You can't break news with Christine Loughhead, not these days. I was contacted by the people who found this cotton candy lobster, and they were asking me for suggestions about what to do with such a special creature.
Speaker 1: Can you describe why it's special, this particular lobster? And you know what, just to show that, to show you that I do have a heart. Why is one lobster more special than another lobster? Aren't all lobsters made equal? And aren't they equal in God's eyes?
Speaker 8: I think what you're doing is confusing the Old Testament for the New Testament. I would say that the Old Testament suggests that lobsters might be a dirty creature, dirty animal. I mean, they do feed on the detritus at the bottom of the ocean. But I do believe that the cotton candy lobster is different because it's blue. It's blue, and when in Canada we see blue lobsters, we know that they are very important. Yes, most lobsters are made in the image of our creator, I think, but not all lobsters deserve to be freed back into the ocean or to be taken care of like this cotton candy lobster will be.
Speaker 1: You know you picked the fight with the wrong girl, Christine, because I happen to know the Bible very well, and it's actually on your side of this argument. It's Leviticus of eleven, verses nine through twelve, where the Bible states that lobsters should not be eaten because they are water creatures that do not have fins or scales.
Speaker 8: Well, hold your horses, cocaine and chardonnay breath, because then the second chapter, if you want to call it, that, the second half of the book the other Guy. Do you remember the other guy who came to fulfill, to fulfill everything?
Speaker 2: Jesus, Yes, there you go.
Speaker 8: You have forgotten that far in the book. I see, when did.
Speaker 2: You become Queen of England? That's about halfway into our conversation. You became the dead Queen of England. CHRISTI found me out.
Speaker 8: You figured it out. I don't know how and I don't know why, but to be honest, this I love it. I'm so happy you could tell that it was me.
Speaker 2: What's your gin count? Today?
Speaker 8: In heaven we have all the gin we could want. I lost count around six am.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you both for appearing, and thank you for filling us in about candy caane lobsters.
Speaker 8: You should have had me listen to the old Lobby Joe Interview. First I could remember what the voice was.
Speaker 2: It's better this way.
Speaker 8: Thanks for that.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app