Speaker 1: This episode may contain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised. Hi everyone, I'm Talia and I'm Tanya, and together we are Crimes and Consequences, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everyone to another episode of Crimes and Consequences. I'm Tanya and I'm Tealia, my lovely co host. Thank you, and today's episode is about a school shooting. So I just want to warn everyone it happened quite a long time ago. But still before I get into the story, I would just like to remind everyone to hit the subscribe follow like button. We are on our own YouTube channel now.
Speaker 1: I think it's at.
Speaker 2: Crimes and Consequences.
Speaker 1: At Crimes and Consequences, there's.
Speaker 2: A couple of videos up, so if you find them and it's at Crimes and Consequences or something similar, you're at the right place.
Speaker 1: You might have to scroll down and then you can see where you can subscribe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you're interested, we.
Speaker 1: Haven't figured exactly out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I am. I mean we're Generation X, so I mean I'm trying. We're trying, right, Yeah, I mean we're trying. So technology is not my strong suit. Whenever anything happens and it works, it's a miracle to me.
Speaker 1: Right, But you're getting better.
Speaker 2: I'm getting better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, and you have any true crime to talk.
Speaker 2: About, yeah, I do, so I'm going to tell you about this story. This happened around five point thirty pm on Wednesday, December sixth, nineteen eighty nine. I'm at day. The cafe campus at the University of Montreal was busy as usual. It'd been a favorite spot for students, you know, going back forever how long because because it was really cold that day. It gets cold up in Montreal, especially in December. It was a nice place for students to gather. And it was the end of the semester. You know, it's early December.
Speaker 1: And everybody's studying. Yeah, area to study.
Speaker 2: And for some of them, like that day was their last day of classes before the holiday break. And suddenly the normal buzz of the cafe, Like they look outside and they see just people running, like students running.
Speaker 1: I just started, hundreds of them. I just start running. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They these people bust into the cafe. Now it's like chaos, and they discover that there's a gunman on campus, and that evening the world would find out that all fourteen victims were women.
Speaker 1: Oh, there were fourteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: Fourteen victims were women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know anything about.
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't know about it until obviously I was researching this one. But I didn't know that Montreal had this happened in their lovely city. I've been to Montreal. I'm it's not gorgeous anyway.
Speaker 1: And Windsor.
Speaker 2: I can't been to Windsor too in Toronto, but okay, so I digress. Around four pm that day, so about an hour and a half earlier, the shooter left his apartment. And I'm not going to say his name until the end because he doesn't deserve it. He left wearing new work boots, a pair of jeans, a gray wind breaker, and a baseball cap. Inside his windbreaker he like on his waist he carried a hunting knife. Knife, yeah, knife, he had a gone in. The type of the type it is, like the name of it really doesn't matter, but it's the same type like swat teams use like it's a rifle, like a high powered rifle.
Speaker 1: Well, wouldn't that be a big gun? I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: It's a big gun.
Speaker 1: So where how's he carrying that around?
Speaker 2: Well, he had that and one hundred rounds were in a green garbage bag, which he carried to a car. You know, he leaves his apartment, he carries it to this car that he rented for the day. He drove to the university. There was a school on the university. It was called Eco Polytechnique in college. Yeah, like a college, and that's where like engineering students, so like students enrolled in like STEM type program. So he pays the parking atenant. He goes to ecoal Polytechnique, He pays the parking attendant and parks his car in a no parking zone and the car ended up being found like the next day. I know, it's getting towards the end of the day, so I'm thinking nobody's really monitoring like the no parking zone.
Speaker 1: But the fact like obviously he didn't mind if he got caught because he's parking in a parking lot. Yeah, no parking zone.
Speaker 2: I know, it doesn't make sense. So he's sitting, he gets out of his car and he ends up sitting in a highly visible spot outside the registrar's office. He sat there for some time. There were reports that people had seen him sitting there for upwards of thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: With his garbage bag.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, with the garbage bag, and he wasn't talking to anybody. He was just sort of scowling and he didn't make eye contact with anyone. A staff member at the registrar's office went over to him and said, you know, do you need anything. He didn't, and without replying to her, he stood up. So he must have been sitting he stood up being walked off, so that was kind of strange.
Speaker 1: The answer is no.
Speaker 2: The answer is no, and he leaves about five pm. The shooter begins climbing the steps to the second floor building and building that he goes in and this is where classes take place.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not the cafe.
Speaker 2: It's not the cafe, and he walks through the steel fire doors in room two thirty. Final presentations were being made for mechanical engineering students. They were taking place right at that time. He gets to the classroom door, he pulls his rifle out of the garbage bag and he lets the bag fall to the floor before he just walks confidently into this classroom with the gun, and it's about five to ten pm. There were two fourth year students giving a presentation on heat transfer at the front of the class. The shooter calmly walks up to the front of the class and he smiles at them. What No one like flinches, bats and I.
Speaker 1: Are Robert, who knows what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, They're just like, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: They didn't seem to react to the gun that he had. He was holding you, I know, what do you do? Like? Is this a joke? Right? Like? He's holding it in around yeah right, and says candy camera or something, right like, or one of those joke programs. So the lack of reaction that he gets irritates him, and he yells everybody stop everything. He then ordered that men, the men in the classroom stand on one side of the room and the women stand on the other side of the room. And even when he says this, nobody.
Speaker 1: Moves because they're just they're just shocked.
Speaker 2: They think, like, like we said, is this a prank? And somebody chuckles and this pissed him off. Chuckled. Somebody chuckled because I mean, I'm sure it was nervous it's me. It's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody gets mad at you for laughing.
Speaker 2: I know, so I'm sure like he would be super pissed at me. It's a nervous laugh. So in response, he shoots twice into the ceiling, yelling, and now the students and the professor like they start to comply, So he orders the men to leave the room, and the women start. You know, he ordered the women to stay in the classroom. He like allows the men to leave, and he starts yelling, I want women. You're all a bunch of feminists and I hate feminists.
Speaker 1: Doesn't he know if the men leave, they're gonna call the police.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what I'm That's what I thought too, Right, that that would be I first thought. But sixty male students and two male professors leave the room.
Speaker 1: So it's a that's a big.
Speaker 2: It's a huge, Like, yeah, it's a huge classroom. And left behind are nine female students standing in the corner of this.
Speaker 1: Classroom like, thanks, guys, yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks for bailing on us.
Speaker 1: But I'm not trying to be inut I know they didn't have the choice.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't. The shooter ordered the women to the back of the classroom, far from the front door and without any ability to escape now, and he asks them, quote, are you wondering why you're here? End quote. One of the students, her name was Annie Saint Arnault, fired back at him, who are you? And he replied saying he was a man against feminists and other women like them, women who he said had been taking employment opportunities from men. And another student pipes up, her name was Natalie Provost. She said, well, they're just women, you know, We're just women studying engineering and not necessarily feminists. And they weren't there to fight men, you know, and butt their jobs, to steal their jobs, like, we just want to study some engineering. And the shooter pushes back, saying, you're all women, you're going to be engineers. You're all a bunch of feminists. I hate feminists. He's all fired up about feminism. So Nadley looked into his eyes and she just saw that they were just dark, and he.
Speaker 1: Was no, there's no there's no getting through. Yeah, there's that's empty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He was focused on what he was going to do and he wasn't going to listen to anyone. And now this is when the shooting begins. Thirty bullets rained upon these night women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weather lined up while.
Speaker 2: They're lined up. Francis Cretien and I'm going to struggle through these French names. So Francis Katine. She was a survivor, and this is what she had to say. She said, quote the rest is sort of in slow motion in my head. I threw myself on the ground and I turned around. At times I could hear everything, at other times it was just noise. End quote. Yeah, she was other women fell on top of her and they were dead. And at that moment, you know, they all start to realize he's not shooting blanks, Like this isn't a joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was horrible.
Speaker 2: I know the shooter spotted. The shooter spotted another woman who did survive. Her name was jose Martin, and Josie said he quote he had a smile on his face. He seemed very proud of himself. It's as if he was in a dream and everything was going according to plan. End quote. Of the nine women in this classroom, three had been seriously injured but survived. There are six classmates which were the other six classmates which were Helene Colgan Netlie Crow two, Crow two Barbara Daignault, Anne Marie le maay Sonya Peltier, and Annie Saint Arnault. They were the first six victims of this shooter.
Speaker 1: They were just slaughtered, like, yeah, they were lined up to be slaughtered. That makes me really sad.
Speaker 2: So he shoots everyone, and I'm guessing he's assuming everyone is dead, and he leaves the classroom. But before he leaves, he stops and he writes shit on one of the notebooks that's laying on one of the desks. I know, it's bizarre.
Speaker 1: I always wonder when you hear about like mass shootings. They will shoot lots of people, and yet there's survivors, and you hear him being shot multiple times stuff, and you think, how, like how did so many survive?
Speaker 2: I think it's yeah, part of you know, I always think about like the people who say, oh, I played dead, you.
Speaker 1: Know, And I mean he only killed two thirds, one third survived.
Speaker 2: One third survived. Yeah, absolutely, I know.
Speaker 1: And he had all the power and all the control.
Speaker 2: I mean, he could have killed everyone, like you said, he could have just all sixty people, sixty seventy people in that classroom.
Speaker 1: But anyway, anyway.
Speaker 2: Some of the men who'd been let go in the classroom. They ran to get help, but there were still several that were standing outside the door of the building and they were warning people like don't go inside. Those men that they they're the ones that heard the gun being shot. They heard the women screaming, and when the shooter left the classroom, he pointed. The shooter pointed his rifle at those men that were still in the corridor and they backed up against the wall, which allowed the gunmen to just continue walking down the hallway like he did not attend in no, he wasn't reaching the photo copiers which were in room two twenty nine. Again, into the room and there was a man that was injured and a woman they survived. And approaching these two, he ran into another woman and shot her and injured her. She made it out alive. He goes to another classroom. Next, he goes to classroom number two twenty eight, and this class was in session, so he scopes the students out and he finds a woman like, you.
Speaker 1: Haven't been I'm sorry, they have no no, no, the police no, no, police take forever to show up.
Speaker 2: And I'll talk about that later, but I'm imagining he's poking in like a window on the door because he doesn't go into this classroom, but he sees a woman student, a female student sitting in the very back. He takes aim with his gun and he attempts to fire, pulling the trigger twice, but it doesn't shoot. So he realizes he's out of bullets. He had a few, Yeah, thank god. He has a few steps away to the emergency stairway. There was a student that by him, and hears him saying, like shit, I'm out of bullets. But the student didn't pay the shooter any The student didn't pay the shooter any mind, and he's not on their right rifle right there.
Speaker 1: Like, you're walking in the hallway, I know there's a guy down there. You're on your phone.
Speaker 2: I mean we're looking at you. No, we're looking at this though from our twenty twenty four view points. So I miss in nineteen eighty nine, but.
Speaker 1: I could see if he was on a cell phone right before.
Speaker 2: That was yeah, this is before that. So the student continues on his way. He was trying to get to the photo copy room. Then you know, it starts to dawn on him, like wait a minute, what the He turns around and he sees the shooter raise the rifle like toward him. The gun went off and the student was barely missed, very narrowly by the bullet. And he starts running toward the escalators now that are leading to the cafeteria.
Speaker 1: And it's a guy.
Speaker 2: It's a guy. He didn't get shot. Classroom to twenty eight that I told you he was peeking in that was adjacent to a server room where computers were held. At the time of the attack. As it's going on, Gibe Brunal was working in the server room with a colleague. He hears these strange sound, strange sounds, but the computers surrounding them were really loud, so the noises were really kind of difficult to distinguish, like not necessarily sounding like rifle fire. So at some point then a student rushes in and yells that there's a shooter in the school. A professor who followed close behind the students, and the gunman had opened the door to the classroom and tried to shoot, but the gun didn't work. So I'm thinking this is that classroom two twenty eight. Brunald told the students to come inside and come into the computer room, the server room and one of them had the presence of mind to lock the door that was leading to the hallway. When the shooter returned and noticed that the door was now locked, he began shooting at it. Bruna was afraid of what would happen if he made it in, and he said, quote, that's when it occurred to me to make everyone crawl under the false floor. False floor. Yeah, like their floor. Like the computer had massive cords. So it's this massive server room and the chords ran under the floor.
Speaker 1: How do you like the floor's got to be solid enough. Yeah, and people to carry that way, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know, there's a way to get down there. And it was, but it was only eighteen inches deep probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you have problems, people can go underneath it. Okay, my eighteen inches high, so I would have I have.
Speaker 2: I know. So I'm not sure exactly how many people were crammed into this space, but he also says, in such circumstances, you managed to squeeze in right.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, my heart is raising right now.
Speaker 2: And the door held, the locked door held, and Ronal and his colleague, Oh, there were eight students from that classroom who squeezed in there and a lecturer, and they're laying there and they're listening and they hear shots being fired outside. When the shooter walks away from Room two twenty eight, he continues down the hallway and that's where he'd shot into the copier room. Then he bumps into a woman coming down the escalator and she was on her way to the server room. He shot her, but she managed to get up and run to the emergency stairway and she found a place to hide on the fifth floor. Instead of following her, he made his way to a counter where he spotted a woman hiding underneath. He shot toward her twice and he missed both times.
Speaker 1: What wow, good, Yeah, he missed her. Wow.
Speaker 2: Now it's been less than fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is all very yeah, very quick. But the police should be there by now.
Speaker 2: They should be there by now. And so since it's began, it's been fifteen minutes. News was spreading throughout the building. By the time the gunman reached the Office of Financial Services, they had just been informed of the attack, and a woman named Maurice Legangnier had thank you, had just put on her jacket and her boots to leave for the day. The shooter spotted her and they both hurried toward the door. Maurice was fighting to lock it and the gunman was fighting to be able to take a shot to her. She succeeded, but there was a small window next to the door. The shooter shoots through the window and Maurice is wounded and she would eventually pass away on the floor of her office. And she unfortunately was pregnant with her first child. Stop so after he kills Maurice Maurice, the shooter returned to the escalator and goes down to the cafeteria, which is on the first floor. There's about one hundred people in the cafeteria. The noise, there's noise, it's noisy. Everybody's confused, and the manager of the cafeteria begins evacuating people out out the service door, but the shooter found his way in and aimed at a woman near the kitchen. He took a shot and he killed Barbara Maria Kluznik Vidovich Vidovich, And as people begin to panic and run, the gunman took a few more shots injuring one other person. Then he slowly made his way to the other end of the cafeteria where he spotted Genevieve Bergan and Anne Marie Edward at the polyparty room, which was a storage closet in the back where a v equipment was stored in other items. He shot and killed both of these women before exiting the cafeteria.
Speaker 1: I'm so pissed right now.
Speaker 2: Genevieve and Anne Marie would be the last victims to be found when the police finally did like a final sweep of the building.
Speaker 1: And they were probably what were they hiding there? Like, I would think, m m, they were right, Yeah, maybe that would be a safe place.
Speaker 2: You would think. The government then takes the escalator, which now is no longer moving. It gets turned off. At some point, he goes up to the third floor. There were several people on the third floor still and he quickly begins shooting, injuring two men and a woman. Around five twenty five, the shooter arrives in classroom three eleven.
Speaker 1: Professor, they're not active in that classroom, temmy, that yeah, doing a lecture.
Speaker 2: They are doing their final presentations as well. Yeah, I don't this building.
Speaker 1: Was wouldn't have happened now. Cell phones people.
Speaker 2: Texting, oh yeah, yeah, people would have been warned, so Professor Jean Paul Bellion. It was a class of mechanical and thermal characterization of materials. This is why I'm not an engineer, because I have no idea what I just read. They're in the middle of their final presentations as I say, and three students are at the front of the classroom in the middle of presenting their project. One was Maurice Leclair. She was on stage when the shooter barged in, ordering the men to leave the room, just as he had done in that first classroom, and he immediately shot her and then turns his guns on the students that are in the first row. Someone yelled get down, leading a handful of students to fall to the floor while others attempted to escape out the back door. Maud Hevernick was among those trying to escape. The shooter saw her, took aim and shot several fatal bullets into her. Taking advantage of the gunman's focus on the back of the room, several students made a rush to the door in the front of the classroom. One was Michelle Richard. She was following her boyfriend at the door when she was spotted by the shooter killed with a single bullet to the back. Then the shooter spotted several students and professor Professor belliong lying between rows of tables that filled the room, trying to hide from the shooter, and he bent down to see who was on the floor. He found four women on the floor and he shot one after the other. Annie Turcotte died and the three other women were injured. There was another woman under the tables who had short hair, and she was ignored, so.
Speaker 1: He maybe thought she was a man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe thought she was a man. Didn't recognize her as a girl. The gunman exchanged the magazine and his rifle, so he reloads. He climbs on top of one of the tables that's in the back of the room, and he starts walking from table to table, continuing to shoot until he made his way to the front where Maurice Leclair was laying. She was severely injured and she was moaning and begging for help. The gunman then pulls out the hunting knife.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: On his waist. Serious, serious, and he stabbed her three times. Then he put his knife, two backs of bullets, and his baseball cap on the professor's desk and sitting on the stage. He took off his jacket, wrapped it around the barrel of the gun, exclaimed, oh shit, and shot himself in the head and he dies on a It's now five twenty eight, so he just he kills himself. Yep, kills himself right there, Professor beell young. He stands up slowly. He tells the students that are still in the room to leave through the door in the back, like he's trying to, you know, tell him, yeah, calm everybody down, you know, like okay. He doesn't look at the stage. He doesn't want to see, but he stays and he walks around the room. He finds his four of his female students dead and another severely injured.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Trying to reassure the injured student, he walked back and forth between her and the hallway, keeping an eye out for help. But no one's where's police, Where's not even like an ambulance, nothing, But no one now knows that the shooter's dead, so you know, they okay, but again there's nobody And it's been like a half an hour twenty minutes maybe since the shooting began.
Speaker 1: That happened, and yeah, less than thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The three injured women that were in room two thirty where the shooting began was Josie Martin, Francis Critian, and Nadley Provost. They hadn't moved at that point. They were still injured, they were still alive. Several people had thought there had to be more than one shooter. Like eventually people starts, he's all over the place. Yeah, he's all over the place. He's on the third floor, he's on the fifth floor, he's down on the tie. Yeah. None of the three women that were injured, and that none of these three women realize that they that not only I mean, they realize they're injured, but they don't feel safe enough to move yet.
Speaker 1: Oh hell, I would play dead. All yeah, I don't care how long till the police came.
Speaker 2: Right right, I am dead And Natley attempted to get up to get help, and she realized she'd been shot several times in her legs, so she just couldn't couldn't move. Just a few minutes later, the door opened and several students looking for an emergency exit came running in. Then two more entered, men looking for women they had to leave behind when they were told to get out of the classroom. Seeing the injuries to their classmates, they ran to get help, and at that point, no one has seen a police officer or a paramedic enter the building, while at the same time, those attempting to call for emergency services weren't able to get through because of the number of calls that were being made. One of the people attempting to call. His name was Louis Corville. He was the director of the Equal Polytechnique, and he said, quote, through the window, I could see hundreds of students in their shirts pour out the doors because they didn't put their jackets on. It's winter, he said, pour out the doors and jump over the snowbanks end quote. He had heard gunshots from his office, not knowing until later that those are the shots that killed Maurice Legging. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, if you have a university the police camp, there's got to be a police department relatively closed. I mean a Michigan State, Yeah it was. I mean you're on campus police, yeah, and there's campus police. I mean, I'm not blaming the police, I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah that there I would think that twenty minutes is an awfully long time to respond to some sort of emergency, and I will get into it. So the Corner Report came out in May of nineteen ninety and included details of the events, explaining why help took so long to reach the school that day. The first call came in. It was five to twelve pm in the evening, and the operator attempted to forward the call to police dispatch, but encountered technical difficulties what making him unable to transfer the call? What this was due to new procedures having been implemented in a transition from paper notes used to communicate messages between the operators in dispatch to using a computer system.
Speaker 1: Well then just do a paper note, I know.
Speaker 2: And the new system wasn't quite working. Yeah the fuck.
Speaker 1: We're talking about like a nine to one one system here.
Speaker 2: And even more frustrating is that the emergency services like where the calls come in, were in the room right next door to police dispatch in the same building. They could have just easily, like you said, written a note.
Speaker 1: Don't even need to do a paper note.
Speaker 2: No, like, hey, there's something shit. The second call received was from a security guard i campus who called after being alerted by a professor that quote, an armed individual is harassing students in room two thirty. This call was sent to the hospital who dispatched ambulances, but they didn't seem to know the address to the Equal Polytechnique that's on the University of Montreal campus.
Speaker 1: And why would you send an ambulance for harassment. I don't know, I know, like, I'm sure there's some lessons learned.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's some big lessons learned. The new computer system didn't have the specific address in the database, so they were asking everyone who was calling in about the attack for the address, which slowed down the arrival of the ambulances. About five sixteen, the police are finally dispatched to the school. So four minutes.
Speaker 1: That's not that bad.
Speaker 2: That's not too bad.
Speaker 1: That's not bad. I'm not going to blame them.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. However, the incident reported was given a code associated with hostage situations, not a shooter. It was said that quote, a suspect with an armed rifle is holding twenty women as hostages in a classroom on the second floor and has fired in the air end quote.
Speaker 1: I mean coo, okay, I don't I mean, I didn't know. There's a difference hostage shooter, I guess, or somebody people hostage and firing a gun in the air. I guess.
Speaker 2: Though in a hostage situation, I think police are hoping that they haven't shot anybody yet and maybe they can get everybody out alive, as opposed to if you've shot somebody already, and I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like it is.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not a trained professional. I'm not going to judge. I'm done doudging.
Speaker 2: Additionally, yeah, I know. Additionally, this is the dispatcher gave the police the address of twenty five hundred Edward Mont Petit Boulevard, without specifying the incident was taking place at the Equal Polytechnique. Two police cruisers hurry to get over to help, and they end up at the student dorms that were at twenty five hundred Edward Mont Petit Boulevard, and now it's five nineteen. It takes another two minutes for them to get to the correct place. Once the first ambulance arrived, injured students approached seeking help. While they were coming out to receive aid, no one was going in though no police the police were beginning to arrive in greater numbers and establishing a perimeter for the hostage situation that they were dispatched to theirs injured people up right right the perimeter would be hundreds of meters away from the building per protocol, and no one was allowed in the building. With a lack of communication and coordination between the police officers and the fact that emergency services didn't know what was going on regarding the size and the scope of this massacre, they had difficulty knowing how many ambulances to sound or how many personnel were needed. Finally, at five point twenty five PM, a student's calls transferred directly to the police, giving information on gunshots and injuries. At five point twenty six, another student described in detail the look of the shooter. A minute later after that, another student is granted permission to pull the fire alarm, leading to eight fire trucks arriving.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that right.
Speaker 2: Pulling the fire alarm. Eventually, with all the calls coming in reporting gunshots, some police suggest going into the building, but those in charge decided to wait until additional officers showed up. The coroner's report concluded quote. In that moment, no intervention strategy is underway, nor is their strategy about to be nor is their strategy about to be implemented or even formulated. End quote. This protocol prevented all first responders from providing aid to the injured inside the school. However, there was a young man inside the school. He was a student there, but he also happened to work as a paramedic, so he needed classes that day. And that young man went from person to person trying to care for everyone that he came across, and he stayed.
Speaker 1: To help bless them.
Speaker 2: At five thirty six pm, the police received the information that the shooter has committed suicide and they were authorized to go in the building. Professor Bellion sought them out and he led them to room three eleven, where the shooter was laying dead. Finally, at five point forty five, the medical emergency team walked in through the doors, and even though they'd been outside for about twenty one minutes, at that point, when the police and security staff finally walked through the building, it gave the students inside the knowledge that it was safe to come out, because a lot of them still don't.
Speaker 1: Know right Oh, this is just chaos.
Speaker 2: I know, it's complete chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The group that had hid in the false floor, the server room, they'd been in that floor for about forty minutes now, and the employee brunal. He stated. Quote at one point the shots stopped. Then through the PA system, someone told us to evacuate the school. Slowly walking, not running. We came out of the hole. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: How do you know if that person's legit?
Speaker 2: I know, right, Oh my god, you're right. I didn't even think of that. Oh, he said. There was so much blood on the second floor that it was hard to make our way out, and we saw so many injured end quote. It wasn't until six two pm that the first severely injured person was evacuated, and it would take nearly forty minutes before every victim had been transported to the hospital. Maurice Legging Yeer, she was the one that had been shot in her office. Remember she was pregnant. She was initially found alive with the door locked. It had to be forced open. Police officer Carol Billdeaux said, quote, Maurice was lying on the ground unconscious. She was severely injured. I talked to her, but she didn't react. I took pulse. I waited for help. It was crazy. We couldn't send messages out there are there were so many messages coming in. I held her arm and stayed with her until she passed. It didn't take very long. Quote. At least she wasn't alone.
Speaker 1: The gunman, This tell me who is now?
Speaker 2: Yes, his name is Mark Lapine. He was found of a suicide note in his pocket. And Mark Lapine that's his name. He had changed his name. I'm not even gonna really go into his background because really doesn't matter. But it was his name that he changed it to when he became older. So he wrote it in French, so translated to English. I'm sure that there's going to be some bastardization of the original French translation. Yeah, so forgive me if there's any mistakes. This is what he wrote. Quote. Would you believe that my suicide today December sixth, nineteen eighty nine is not because the money problems. I waited until I exhausted my financial means, even refusing jobs, but for political reasons, because I have decided to send the feminists who have always ruined my life to their maker. For seven years, life has brought me no joy and being totally carefree, I have decided to put an end to those bad tempered women, even if the mad killer epitaph will be attributed to me by the media. I consider myself a rational intellectual, only that only the arrival of the grim Reaper has forced to take extreme acts. For why continue living if it's only to please the government? Being rather backward looking by nature except for science, the feminists have always enraged me. They want to keep the advantages of women, like cheaper insurance, extended maternity leave, preventative leave, while seizing for themselves those of men the advantages. Thus, it's an obvious truth that if the Olympic Games removed men women distinctions, there would be women only in graceful events. It's being very sexist here, Oh my god. So the feminists are not fighting to remove that barrier. They are so opportunistic they do not neglect to profit from the knowledge accumulated by men through the ages. They always try to misrepresent them every time they can. Thus, the other day I heard they were honoring the Canadian men and women who fought at the front lines during the World Wars. How can you explain that since women were not authorized to go to the front line. Will we hear of Caesar's female legions and female galley slaves, who, of course took up fifty percent of the ranks of history though they never existed. End quote. The suicide number or the suicide note includes a list of ninety names and phone numbers of women he'd identified as feminists, stating the list was of women who quote nearly died today. The lack of time because I started too late, has allowed these radical feminists to survive. End quote. The final line of the note, I'm not even going to pronounce it in French, but it means either the die has been cast or there's no turning back, which is a similar meaning.
Speaker 1: You fucking hate him.
Speaker 2: I know, what a nut job.
Speaker 1: So don't know if he had some paranoid personality disorder or was developing some sort of paranoid what I mean, what I knows? Who did?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: I know? Like happened what you said that years ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Several What was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like yeah, you're right, like they what happened? He's been feeling this for several years.
Speaker 1: I don't even need to take time off for maternity lead because they you ever had a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he hasn't. I mean I would gladly have traded you. You'd be pregnant and I know right, no things. Yeah. It was until nine pm that the news began to report that all the victims of this massacre were women. In the French language, which is the official language of the side, yes, words you know. In French words have masculine and feminine meaning, so like some words are feminine and some words are masculine. Yeah, like Spanish. And the bias of the culture there like in the news reports was made clear when the Minister of Education offered his deepest condolences to the families of the etudients, which is the masculine form of the words students. Other leaders went on to offer condolences using words like victims, youth, and loved ones. No one spoke of the fact they were all women. None acknowledged the statements of the gunmen, nor the words in the suicide note. Many journalists assigned to work on this case were men. The fact that reporter Shelley Page noticed it would make clear the degree her bosses didn't trust her coverage and the anxiety about sending a young a young woman to cover the carnage surrounding a massacre of young women was palatable. Instead, it was addressed as a concern about the young reporter's ability to be a objective. In the days after the shooting, Natalie Provost she had she was she had been shot, and she'd been hospitalized with her injuries, and she heard men on the radio supporting the shooter's actions. After hearing this, yeah, after hearing this, I'm sure she was off, fucking fired out. Yeah, she decides to meet with journalists in her hospital room.
Speaker 1: She pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's pissed, feeling it's necessary. As a survivor of the shooting, also a member of the Polytechnique student Association and having a seat on the board of the school, she felt like she needed to be heard. So during the short press conference from her hospital bed, she simply said, quote to all the young women in Quebec who are thinking about studying engineering, I mean asking you to consider this career with as much enthusiasm as you did before Wednesday. End quote. Yeah. She also said, in response to those looking for anyone to blame other than the gunman, she said, quote, there's only one culprit and he's dead end.
Speaker 1: Quote, what about his parents?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not even gonna get into it. Okay, it doesn't matter. So female columnists came out in the following days with scathing analysis of the events. There was just a lot of stuff that went on that probably really took the focus off of the victims. I feel like, you know, they were are. I mean, it kind of minimized initially, the whole culture kind of minimized that the victims were all women.
Speaker 1: So well, in the end, they are victims, yes, I mean yes, but I get your point. The reason why they were victims is because they were female, right, And.
Speaker 2: I know he shot he shot a few mounds.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I do know that. I do recognize that. But you know, it's important, and I think it's important to note that's what his focus was.
Speaker 1: I mean, he wanted people to know how anti feminist he was. So I don't know, maybe he doesn't deserve the word to be spread.
Speaker 2: That's true. So the day after the shooting, the mayor of Montreal, his name was Jean dor He held a press conference. He directly called out the prejudice of the killer, and he openly cried when speaking to reporters something that's very rare with public figures, and even less so for male public figures. He personally knew Genevieve Bergeron, whose mom was a city council member, and he knew her very well. Since the shooting happened, there was a study of security at the school which identified gaps, obviously indicating that if the gunman hadn't decided to stop when he did and killed himself, he likely could have continued unimpeded for a while. Yeah, until he ran out of bullets.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The security system around the campus was completely redone, and the emergency phone system became It removed the need for addresses to be exchanged at all. I think it's just automatic. The approach proved successful because there were future campus shootings copycat YEP in nineteen ninety two and two thousand and six, and the speed of emergency response has taken priority.
Speaker 1: And we are not police bashing.
Speaker 2: No, you're all no, it's the system, and.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the culture. It's nineteen eighty nine. Like I mentioned before, you know, you don't think if it's never happened, you know, you don't think like, oh my god, it's a school shooting or something like that. I mean, I think we're all very aware of it now.
Speaker 1: It was just a shit show. Yeah, yeah, I don't think they knew how to respond. And you know, the whole idea of not mentioning they're all female, I do think is wrong. I want to point that out. It is wrong, But you know, I think it would It is important that they should probably they should have said. That should have been the whole point, and to help people like him learn like, yeah, yeah, because feminis Yes, they're not whatever you think, they're not taking jobs, right, I mean, it's a lesson to be learned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's lesson to be learned, because it's obviously a deeper cultural right issue at that point that he was experiencing. Yeah, and I mean, yeah, I know exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's just hard to believe that high officials wouldn't even acknowledge that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I wouldn't fly these days, No, it would not know. People would be all fucking up in arms. Gun control became a top priority in the years following this Montreal massacre. The shooter when he got his guns, he had gone to the Montreal headquarters of Quebec Provincial Police to get an application form for aires arm firearms Acquisition certificate. I'm sorry, maybe troubled talking. He went there on August twenty ninth, nineteen eighty nine, so a few months before the shooting. Six weeks later he was issued his certificate. That's when he went shopping at a sporting goods store. On November twenty first, he went to the store one last time and purchased the rifle he would use during the massacre. There were also many gun laws passed by the legislature concerning background tracks.
Speaker 1: Did they even allow guns in Canada?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't. I don't know, do they. I don't think they did. I don't think they. I don't know how he got one used. I think because of this, maybe some laws changed, That's what I'm thinking. There were lots of laws that were changed or established, so I think there was a big cracked down after this, so they, you know, like I said, there were many laws passed concerning background checks, mandatory safety training, requiring a permit to purchase firearms, and ammune is AMMO and things like that, So I think it's I don't think it's as widespread as like you can walk into a store today here and buy as many guns as you want.
Speaker 1: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So of the students that were killed, twelve were engineering students, one was a nursing student, and one was an employee of the university. Fourteen other people were injured. Just to let you all know, it was quite a few victims. When referencing the loss of these women, it's important to realize, like, just it's not the loss of human life, it's also the loss of what they could have become. You know, they were all very bright women. They could have done great.
Speaker 1: Things, completely innocent victims. Yeah, lives just got destroyed randomly, right right, stay well in college, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They could have been inventors or you know, discovered something. So the one student, Natalie Provost, who dared to say she wasn't a feminist, she really like did some self reflection and she said in the newspaper in twenty fourteen that quote. When I was a girl, feminism was militant women. And I wasn't the first female student at Polytechnique. There had been several before me. So when I told Mark Lapine that I wasn't a feminist, I was telling those women that there's so much more than how I say myself. Right, you know, I had it easy. The door was already open, so I couldn't take this beautiful title and claim it for myself. So she really did a lot of reflection on that the shooting had no impact on enrollment of female students at the Polytechnique. They continue to register, succeed, and achieve amazing things every day. So I think, like I said, a lot of laws were passed, a lot of new procedures were put in place, all to help with future tragedies. And I think, unfortunately you I don't know if this was the first school shooting there in Montreal, but you have to have the first one in order to realize, like where the gaps really are, and you know, and you know, future future generations and future students were saved by the sacrifice that these fourteen women made.
Speaker 1: So you know, when I was in law school, it was the first year that fifty one percent of the students were women.
Speaker 2: Wow, really nice taken over. You know, that's funny you mentioned that because at my law school we went to different law schools. At mine, they have like old composite photos like U in the student building where like the yeah, right, like the older ones from like you know, fifty sixty, seventy years ago are all not Yeah, and you'd be like, oh, there's the one woman you know on the composite picture, and then you start to see more and more and more so all over the Yeah. Well, the population I think of the United States is a majority of women. I think it's fifty one percent something like that. I think we.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're digressing. Yeah but anyway, digressing.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you everyone for listening. Yeah, yes, that was a huge tragedy. If you could hit the like, subscribe, like, follow whatever.
Speaker 1: Button, watch us on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yes, watch us on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I'll figure it out. Crimes and consequences.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have a Patreon, which means you not only get this episode early release and ad free, but we also released one extra audio episode or video. We could do the video we have we have. Remember, yeah, I didn't I didn't publish it. I don't know the.
Speaker 1: Week whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you didn't watch it, you're right, I didn't watch it. You're right. It's on our patreon with me when we did it. It's on our patreon anyway. You can go to patreon dot com, slash t nt crimes, or you can subscribe through the Apple podcast app. You get the same episodes one extra episode a week. You can go to our website, Crimes and Consequences dot com. We have merched there and we are on social media, but we don't do a whole lot there. So one day we'll get it all fired up again. We were there for a while, but when we find an extra five hours a day, then we'll be able to get it done five or hire a staff member who we don't pay, so anyway. Volunteer, yeah, volunteer anyway until our next episode. Everyone, thank you, don't.
Speaker 1: Kill each other.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, don't know peop