Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports poff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay, if you're a sooner bodyatya fan walk away right now.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another episode of Sledging Room. Sorrow. Allan, the dust has settled over the Indian England series. That's why we're here to discuss Cooley. Where is War two? Which of the two August fourteen releases will you know win the box office? Wark? Okay, what do you think, Allen?
Speaker 4: I'm going for both movies both.
Speaker 5: On day one Alan is off and he's using that off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, watch both movies and I think I'll write who won the war? Probably will see.
Speaker 3: That day you ask him to talk about barbar Schumann, Gill. Alan might not be this interested, but on day one it's.
Speaker 4: A no contest. No Barbara Shuman. Will Barber was given the titlepe.
Speaker 3: Probably probably his War two to me, no contest, but yeah, no, we are not here to discuss that. Probably an entertainment podcast will discuss that, but we are here to discuss Barber's you know failures, were walking on a TI trope. Yes, that article on Sunday morning, Sunday Morning read from our very own three talking about what Barber needs to do now that he's not in the T twenty I team and Test team. Maybe if he have so what can he do in this three match odio series against wester Indies. Pakistan are currently playing the Western and the day we write that, Bower goes for a three.
Speaker 4: Ball duck, I wonder if it is our jinx because he's it's been seventy one innings across all three formats, he's not scored one hundred. He was considered to be two great, the number one batter in two D is not even getting a game in that D two day side.
Speaker 5: So maybe he's reserving his best for the Asia Cup if he gets a chance in the Hia gets a chance, if goes ahead, Yeah, if a lot of things that we're here to talk about, the Asia Cup, scot selection that is doing a lot of buzz over the last few days, just because there's nothing happening in Indian cricket. Maybe a one month break which is like hashable said very well, deserved for the players and will deserved for the people who are watching and covering the game as well, because there was too much of cricket in the lead up to this break.
Speaker 3: But coming to this buzz, people are quite vocal and people have reported that Schupman Gill, India's newly appointed Test captain who led India to a drawn series in England, will be back in the T twenty I fold. The last time he played T twenty years was in July twenty twenty fourth and he was not part of the T twenty World Cup squad. So as in like, I'm not surprised looking at the recent developments, but are you guys?
Speaker 5: No? I mean when Gotham here became the head coach, he appointed Schumann Gil as a vice captain in white Wall Cricket, odier Is and T twenties, so he was always in the plans of the management for TAT and type format. Yes, over the past one year we have not seen him play T twenty ice. We have seen the likes of Abishek and Sanja Samsung open then you have feel like coming at number three in Suria. So that is where I think a lot of people are getting confused. But I believe that he was always in the plans of Juan management and he must have them. They must be having one particular role for this guy, because if he has been appointed the vice captain across both forts and captain in the Test, from it, it means he's our one of the most important players after the Koli and But is.
Speaker 3: It not unfair on someone like Abishaikh and Sanju Sampson, Like, if you're going to appoint him as the vice captain, you're going to play him in the leven, So you're going to disturb that opening combination that has been doing well for us for quite some time. We all thought that India probably might have moved on from Supermann and Es So what what where does that leaves Waal who was also done as consistently as Superann Gill over the last few years. So that's my question as like, would you would you break that opening combination?
Speaker 4: No, honestly saying I would not, But like you said, the suggestions, I think a lot of people have mistaken this because it was long before that Schumann Gil was made vice captain. This is not a new development though I think the.
Speaker 3: Has he made the white ball vice captain as he suggested, or was it just the white captain.
Speaker 4: Both white ball captain. I still remember. I think me and shuk were discussing it amongst ourselves that you know, why why is he made the vice captain when he's not sure in the T twenty A side. Yes, but now like then also I said the same thing that whatever happens, he's going to be someone who is going to be a regular in this team. He's part of the leadership group as well. So if you ask me, I would not disrupt that opening partnership because it has for Sancho Sampson. Also, he has done very well the amount of chances that he's got. He's played that aggressive style with the Indian Indian team. I wish he has done well. Both of them have got a uh you know, a partnership going. Now, if you're bringing in Schumann, it would either have to be at number three. Now, if that is going to be your move, then what happens to a Thilla Quarma? You are going to do one the twenty aside as well? Yeah, because then you cannot stop a Tila Kwarama from playing for India because he has been censoridy.
Speaker 3: We spoke about that in the past episodes of The Sledging Room, that if Suria comes in at number four, it's still a waste of his resources.
Speaker 4: Resources.
Speaker 3: Now, if you're playing Schumern at three Tillak at four, then so you hardly Suria will get ten, ten to eight overs in a match.
Speaker 4: And the same thing with Tiller. Tilak is also a very good batter right at the top, honestly saying. The only position that might be a little if he is at number five. Maybe it was before it was Rinku Singh who did not have a great ideal last season, So probably he might get the thing. But he is also we know that he's a finisher. He's a guy who can single handedly change a match. He has that tempo to you know, kind of hold the innings as well as go big when it is needed.
Speaker 3: Just because he's from Ko saying all this was the last time he finished a match for you guys, tell me.
Speaker 4: That so finished you guys. Last season did not work out for him. But I think in the Indian team, given his skill set as a as a fielder, as a guy who's uh trusted batter in the middle order.
Speaker 3: But I am just asking in a cutthroat competition like T twenty ice Rinku hasn't done well in the last two IPL seasons, hasn't done well, hasn't done anything of note whenever he has gotten a chance in the International Games. Does he still want a place in the site for the Asia Cup?
Speaker 5: I think he will be part of that squad, but the playing living a lot of things have changed. Now as we were talking about Schumann, so.
Speaker 3: Where is cutting back to him and putting the same question to you? Where do you think you both agree that Schumann deserves a place in the T twenty squad? If yes, where does he bat? No?
Speaker 5: That is I'm not saying that he deserves the place. It is I always maintained that it is a team management that has a plan for him. It's not you, me or Alan deciding that Shuman will play and Sir Samsung will not play. It is a team management which gave him.
Speaker 3: Tell me where he'll play.
Speaker 5: That is what I'm saying, Because no, I'm not beating on the bush. I'm telling you the fact. And if you ask me, my personal opinion is he does not fit in.
Speaker 3: That he is not years The average is fifteen average fifteen then against one forty in the Sorry strike Crador one for the wildest dreams.
Speaker 5: Pictures in the I pill are a lot more different than what pictures will have in a Cup or in the T twenty World Cup. Also, when you play in India, I don't think they're going to give those these roots route to bat in the international matches where India players against these teams in the Asia Cup or in the t'ty World Cup.
Speaker 3: A guy who has scored seven to fifty runs in the England series and you're saying that he willing.
Speaker 4: The formats again, right, why would you.
Speaker 2: Know this?
Speaker 5: This is the problem with Weir And this is the problem with a You know, you are behaving like got Weir just because someone has scored runs in you're going to be in the place.
Speaker 3: So you both agree that he has to be in the squad. But he doesn't deserve place in eleven.
Speaker 5: No, he does not.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 4: See if I if I look at how the team has performed without big names like like you said, a big name like Submann, Gil Schumann. Gil is a big name. Right now, let's come to that common ground. Maybe after and Kohli probably probably the most important guy in this Indian team. But does he this brah okay? If the workload management, I guess.
Speaker 3: Hearing this.
Speaker 4: So even even in their case, like you look at that t twod a team, you don't really need to make any a lot of changes. Yeah, Sancho Sampson has done well given the chances that he was he was handed over, he did well as an opener. Sharma has done nothing wrong to be dropped from that team. Now, where is a superman Gil fit? He sees, Are you going to put him at the opening spot with ABK Sharma? Given that they've got a good camaraderie and they play for the same state. Are you going to do that? And are you going to bring in at five or six? That then you are going to probably kick out from the site. Now that is something that this team management has to decide upon because Schumann Gill opening the batting, I am not really certain that if you opened with Schumann Gill, then what happens to a Tila Kwarma Maria Anything beyond four is not good enough for him. Coming in at five is almost like the KKR case, which is why he left KR in the first place. So this is where I think the team has or probably Gumbier has shot himself in the foot because Schumann, yes, great ipl season, fantastically led the team. But was he the right Did we jump the gun with selecting him as a vice captain. That is my only concern.
Speaker 3: That's also a threat.
Speaker 5: No, So my biggest question to the management is right now. So before the ipil if I'm not wrong, we played in England home tree two days okay, abhis must scored one hundred. Samsung looked iffy, but he scored some good runs. He was scoring at a biskraite. I played a Matchmak batting at number three. Okay, Suria, as we all know, is one of the best stdentary batters. You can't remove him. So your top four are there? Where do you fit in super Gill if you look at your last centary series where you actually decimated England, dominated and decimated England, and now when you're talking about this Asia Cup squad, my biggest concern right now is that if I have to make a call, apart from boom Rah, I don't see any other player making the playing eleven of the same side where he was not part of for the last one year.
Speaker 3: Because I you know, the basic, uh basic example of any good team is like if I am playing a Continental Cup, and if I have to select a squad, and if I select a playing eleven, if I'm making the change to an olidy suttle unit, I need to make a change where this particular player, whoever he or she is, has to come.
Speaker 5: And upgrade that position as a batter, as a bowler. I don't think Schumann is a uprade on Sancho Samson. I do not even on a Sman. No, I don't think. I don't think he's an upgreade on Suria, on Tila Burma, on Harley. And if you talk about vice captaincy, you know when he was made the vice captain. I remember me and you we were talking and we have said that you did not make the captain. You gave Suah the captaincy. Fine, you can't take away that vice captains from Hardig. This is absolutely unfair. What wrong has he done? You don't get from it. He bowled that mash winning over in that you don't World Cup finals, we were defeated South Africa. You were on the edge of a seat and you won that game. So he has given you everything with the bat. He has proved his he comes over on the order to scored some good runs. He finish the game for you. He has been giving you good four overs up in the first power play. If you want him to bowls there, if you want to bowl in that over, he bowls there. So he's done everything. Why will you steep him? Vice captaincy so there? Yeah? Yeah, So like you asked, this is not a threat for Suria. This is a threat for Harley for me, because Suria is I think it's in late thirty thirty one three.
Speaker 3: Early thirty Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's the thirty four thirty five around that range.
Speaker 5: So I don't think Suria will last after T twenty World Cup because the way this team is behaving that they want a transition after every year. They don't want old players, they want a young blood management. I don't think Suria will have that roupe. If you feel superformed, you know the World Cup, is it a case of just you know, the superstars pushing to be all format players. I think that is is and it's also a big test for Gumby asient was always spoken about, you know, not mixing formats being clear.
Speaker 3: So if he like you said, if he does that, it's like shooting himself.
Speaker 5: Well, no one, one more thing I wanted to point out, yeah, that whatever happens in the cricket does have a commercial value to it.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Fine, So remember the District To podcast which is happening in England Dunest series. Soraisha was talking to Michael Vaughan and Lester Cook and David Lloyd and they asked him what is it that makes India a more loving country for cricket and what are the commercial benefits. Gave an example that especially since this commercialize has boomed in Indian nineteen nineties from such rare turo hit, we always had superstars from DONI who have actually been the face of inning cricket. Now to be the face of Indian cricket you have to be an all format player. You just don't play T twenty's orde is your tests and be the face of an all format coach and be the face of it has never happened till now. It might happen, but it has never happened. Fine with Suma. Also, Sastri said very rightly, this boy has got looks, he's got the talent and he has now been given the captaincy of Test cricket and now that his team has actually drawn a series against England's bass ballers in their conditions, he has got a much more say. He's got much more say in whatever happens in cricket and Gumbi would like to cash in on that. Even the b S would like to cash on him and make him an all format players, to appease the advertisers to bring more deals and making the new post integrated.
Speaker 3: After even so, what do you say? It might seem ridiculous on the outside that we're selling layers based on it looks, but this, like said, like you quoted him, this hold water.
Speaker 4: There is even there was an interesting factor I was last day. I was going through one of those YouTube videos. It was a very simple video. It was about how Schumann Gill got that Ammar of deal. Now, one of the things that pointed out and it struck me, was the fact that Emma as a bat manufacturer, tire manufacturer, tire manufacturer, but as a bat sponsor sponsor, they've always found out superstars when they were young like for such a such An was a big example for it. Then you had Kohalie when he was just about to hit that stride, when he was about to hit that prime. They got him now with Shupman. Also just before a monumental England series during the Champions Trophy where he had started off with a certain and bat manufacturer and in between you shifted to a mar that clearly shows that you know, this guy is going to be the next big star. Whether you like it or not, he is going to be put down our throads.
Speaker 3: So the selection committee makee selectors. Both of you are like, you know brands.
Speaker 5: You're talking like you don't know how the brand deals working in cricket.
Speaker 3: Who else used AMRF an Indian crickets use and also used it, used to use it, I used to use it.
Speaker 4: But but when you look at that on that side as well, when you look at it, it is uh. When it comes to the Indian players, they have always caught them young because that is how their brand and Indian cricket. It's almost like that brand and the Indian cricket goes simultaneously in terms of stardom. When you talk about start another interest sting fact which I felt is because probably this India's approach of going hell for leather might work on the Indian flat tracks. Maybe it does not work in u A and there you might need a supermann Gill kind of an innings which he used. He was playing in uh in the Champions, in the Champions Trophy, and in the ip A where you know he was he was scoring at a brisk rate. Let's not be let's not make a mistake about it. But the fact was he was concentrating more on rotating strike and ensuring that he stays there. So probably that is also a thinking behind it. But yeah, for me, if you're sticking by that approach of going hell for leather from the get go, he does not fit in this team and that's a sad reality. But then you completely have to rejig your entire team.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you had to drop one of the two, Samson or Abishaik one of the two, don't be like Rushford. No, No, I very frank with if you have to drop, that's the question.
Speaker 5: So if I have to drop, that's a very tough question to us because these two have given us so much good knocks.
Speaker 3: Okay, in the top four, if you drop one, I would.
Speaker 5: Not because of his formerly but because she's the youngest of them and if we get a lot more chances.
Speaker 3: You ask Alan whether Schumann Gil or as well for the opening slot, he'll be.
Speaker 4: I am going to probably get the wrath of my my fellow. I think Samson, just because of the fact that you have a lined up can come lower round the order. Because Ak in the last England series, we saw that Abishak was more consistent than Samson. Samson was struggling, especially against a short board showed no. I mean, he does have his own weaknesses, but he did not show it during that series and he was going very well, especially in that Mumbai match against England. So that is why I feel maybe Samson might not get the NOD and Schumann might come in because.
Speaker 5: Of his.
Speaker 3: This is the line that was being you, you know, so you your own people are backstabbing you the time to come.
Speaker 4: To to come to I think that is that is probably in his future as well.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I feel Samson might because I don't want to drop has done exceptionally well at number three, was and then like you can't drop. Sorry, he's the captain.
Speaker 5: The captain, you know.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to, you know, discus a couple more points. But we'll talk in detail about Asia. Maybe the squad is coming the third week of August, is what we've been told, but you never know might come only we might have another episode of podcast previewing the squad selection. But you brought up so is it just Sanjo and.
Speaker 5: In the in the setup, No, I don't think so that's sort of right, yeah, because because for Kish, I think he's out of the hundred in the he's out of the plants and even in the i p L apart from that one hundred, he did not do a lot of good in knocks where played a very very important role in our title winning. Had he not played that knock in against Algy in that qualifier.
Speaker 3: To I don't remember that much of i PL now, especially after this test series.
Speaker 5: But again won the Yeah, I mean, yes, you hate r CV and you can you can do this, but we have actually broken the title thrinks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, was a real for the hero for them. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think that opens up that middle order spot as well if finisher role which is like like you said, is not fitting in that role, maybe can't do that because has been sensational for r c BL this season. He's got on his side probably you will push up a hardy Panta to number five maybe and have at six that also helps the team out. So that is where I feel Samson might have a little bit of an issue.
Speaker 3: And yeah, just one more before we head into another big debate. Is Bumra playing the No.
Speaker 5: I don't think they will list Boomra with the Cup.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: Sila is not part of the tretain Day side and in the plants. He's not in the plant for Treltain Day for me, if I'm not wrong, the.
Speaker 4: Same with me, I don't think given how like this team functions and how important how much importance the Asia Cup has, it's basically just a tournament with no major stakes on the line apart from maybe winning the silverware. But I from what we can see, it's like the Indian team does not give a lot of care for that tournament as such, and because of which I don't see Boomera coming in. He'll be given a long rest. Maybe he'll be back for the West Indies series, which also I don't feel he should be playing two matches. Maybe let Siraj and some of the other new bowlers get a chance and let Bumra take a well needed dress and then let him be ready.
Speaker 5: For the big question comes here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I said, like, without telling me why or explaining it, tell me if India should play Pakistan in the Shack Cup. No you wellen, Yes, cool, that's up for later. Yeah. But you know what, when we don't have anything in cricket, when there is a lull, suddenly these two come into the limelight. They will be targeted. There will be stories well reported or misquoted, or agendas being peddled. And we have come to that stage again. We're at and Ruth retired from T twenty I is after the World Cup last year. Uh. They retired from test cricket midway through the IPL before the England series. That was a bit of a shock, yes, with okay, you have sensed it, but we're art. Quitting tests before the England series was a bit of a shock. Now there are rumors, reports, whatever you we want to call it, saying that they might not play beyond the Australia tour which is in October, which is the next Oodia assignment for India. India was scheduled to play Bangladesh in August in a three Odia series that was widely expected to be Ruth and Virat's come back. But now that has been pushed October. Why this debate doesn't like are they not good enough to play the twenty twenty seven World Cup? Why are we talking about it now? That whether they will last the next two years, whether Australia will be their last tour India plays, say twelve oody Eyes before the IPL next year, three against Australia, three against a visiting South African team, three against New Zealand if I'm not wrong, and three against England in England that probably might be after the IPL. Also, I'm not sure, but twelve Oody Eyes in the next one year, what should they do as in like should they play the visits are atrophy?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't understand this nonsensical drama over brad kl and this started in December when both of these could not perform in those laces with a part from the hundred did not do much and then apart.
Speaker 3: From the interview, didn't do anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, actually he did not do anything. But then when they came to India and there were rumors and it looked like the BSI has issues tak to both of them. That to everyone of apart from Oma. If you want to play testcret for India, you have to play domestic cricket, and both of them actually played domestic cricket only to retire and not play any further Test cricket for India. So I don't buy into buy into the merit of playing trophy for you to play the audios.
Speaker 3: See there are three oas before that. Yeah, I think six yas before the Trophy starts in December. I think three against Australia and three against South Africa. So if this six two hundred in that series, that is.
Speaker 5: What I'm telling you. The last big Odea tournament you played with the champions Strophy, right, yeah? How did you win it? Who are you major contributors?
Speaker 3: Schumann, Gill?
Speaker 4: What did do?
Speaker 5: He scored tons of runs for you, Bill, You in a lot of matches apart with k Lowell did not tournament. But then in the final he comes and scores a brilliant hundred and his Captaincy was his Captaincy was on the spot without Boomera. He and Gmir had a plan and finally it looked like this duo of Gumbi and Rowith is working in and working in tandem. And everything is going in there fa So now why will I disturb that thing? Why will why will do it not play? Odeas see until less and they themselves come out that we don't want to play. Or when they play in Australia and they are just not able to tie the ball, they're not able to run behind in the between the wickets, then I will question you know, they're not fitting to play for India right now? It looks for me they they they're they're fit enough. Like before that don't do World Cup? They're not played to negate for one year, both of them. They were called back one or one one month before that a series they both came in and then they both played World Cup and you wanted the World Cup? So why will I remove them? Yes that oday World Cup is like two years from now and you have got so many series to decide, So why not let them play and let their form take a call instead of speculating, because I would want both of them to be part of that World Cup squad leading and batting a number three.
Speaker 4: And also the thing is that when you have these two guys going out, it's the same problem like do you replace?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Can I don't see a Schumann Gill playing like a road Sherma has done in the odios for the last couple of years, being that aggressor getting people to change their lines and lines and like absolutely thrashing the team in the first and ours. And then does a superman Gill or somebody else play the the kind of knocks that Kohley has played. You might remember that Pakistan game where he guided as to victory, the kind of way that he played and how he frustrated Pakistan. Do we have anybody who can do the same role in that batting order. That's exactly what we thought for the England series. Also, people came out and scored.
Speaker 5: This again, don't please actually don't mix formats. Yeah, in Test both of them were struggling for runs. Cooley could not even time the ball and he was getting out in the same manner in every Test match in odia is it's a complete different format. He scored tons of runs centuries in the championship. Have you in the tournament? Roy also not that extremely well throw a tournament, but then comes the main game and he steps up especially and you saw what happened in World Cup. It was ruy to set the platform for us in every game, and Verat was the one who was actually aggregator for us, was aggregator, and then we had a blueprint on how a year will bat, how k will bad, how how they gill back? Why will you disturb that until less Vivat and Ruth failed to school runs in the upcoming of Slace series. I don't see that they should be quitting World Cup.
Speaker 4: I mean I have seen all this speculation, all the things of Rowick coming out wearing a T shirt and he looked out of shape. How Wiat's white beard is causing a havoc all over the place. I am like getting scared right now, I've started getting graysed on my beard. I'm like, oh, will people write me off also in the near future. But those are not criterias for like, you have a team that has been set up. The Odia team has been set up. I think there has not been a lot of changes coming in.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: When you make these changes, you need to have backups. A guy like yeses we has not done He's played one match in the Odias that's it now. Wirat at number three has been sensational for us. We have never thought about a time where who else can come in and play that role. So these are questions that the management needs to ask because like you cannot. You should not be forcing two of India's best odia players out of a format when they can still.
Speaker 3: Deliver for the Texactly.
Speaker 4: When they are still getting run stampin Trophie was probably a test for both both men after the Australia series debacle that had happened. But they performed well. They've showed that they're still got it and they can still win new matches in odias. So then why is the need for you know, doing transition in the name of transition. Yes, these guys will not continue for a long period of time, there might be two years max to max. But understand their value. Let them decide on their own to step out. This has been for me personally when I sit here, when I look at it, when I go through the news, it does feel even the pulse of the audience. There are a lot of people who are saying I saw a tweet where a fan just said, please do not play via trophy and all that. You just retire because this is what the team management wants from you as well. So that is more or less like the people are also getting agitated by it. Why is there a question about these people? Why is there a question about Roth and Kohley performing for the team. There is never a question. You have got two good players who can still deliver at their top, so let them play. And World Cup is still far away. We have got two more years. Maybe something happens, maybe Coley goes on a good run like how such In went on his towards the end of his career during that to twenty.
Speaker 3: Or maybe that happens as well.
Speaker 4: But you have you can make a decision after that. Why force them right now into a complete international cricket retirement is something that is beyond Why did you guys.
Speaker 3: Love by the way in Australia before the World Cup? Do only won new matches?
Speaker 5: I do know when you're talking about Doney and World Cup. I only know two games. The gaming is England and the game and well was.
Speaker 3: An outstanding game. He would have finished it. Had not finished it, that was an unluck.
Speaker 5: He did not finishing. Doney retired when he knew that he could not do things rightly. He could not score the winning runs art and take the call on themselves. What wrong have been done in the Rode.
Speaker 3: Farmer exactly I saw tweet asking was done the last captain who had the power till he retired, till he stepped down as captain. I think yes, twenty seventeen he stepped down as captain in his own terms test though he didn't want to play it beyond twenty fourteen. If you look at Truth after what happened, If you look at Art after Sarawgong, he took over and you know there was another influential figure there. Things didn't work out well. Again, we all knew what happened with him in the test format T twenty eight to go on call. But now with ODI, I am increasingly fearing that were Art might just last the two years with Right might not. That's probably probably down to fitness and all that. But I hope stays there because that thing is and we are. Sport is about being emotional. Ruth has always been emotional, saying that I can play, I can win so many T twenty World Cups and all that. But that Odia World Cup which he missed in twenty eleven, which India one and twenty eleven, Yeah, is always his dream, ultimate dream. But yeah, that's kind of you know, like you pointed out a little unfair on these two that every time something is not happening, somebody is not being When Schupern Gill is not in the news, you bring back with.
Speaker 4: A yeah, getting ready for practice, this is the news today.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: But you know, one thing I would agree with what whoever is taking these calls is I would want these to play a trophy, like to get to be informed. Because if you're just playing twelves in the next one year and then an ipl I would want them to come to Vizias are a trophy and play anyways, they can't play the entirety of a trophy. I saw the schedule. It will clash with the January ideas that you're playing. So maybe a couple of games in Via are a trophy maybe, you.
Speaker 4: Know, for me, like, okay, you want to bring these guys in, get the hype of the tournament up. That is well and good, like let all the Indian like how English England are doing right now with the hundred. They're making all of their players go and play in the hundred. Stokes is not playing, but he's still around the system. So in that sense, yes, I'm more than happy because most of the times we nobody looks at these uh trophy unless like we hear a tweet saying, oh scored five hundred trot he's stunning form. Maybe a Coali comes in or a rowth comes in. These kind of players also get that exposure in that sense, Yes, wonderful, but don't.
Speaker 3: Judge them on the performances.
Speaker 4: But to judge them, I don't know, because I feel they have enough merit in their tank because of what they did in the Champions Trophy as well to stay in it. So why do you need to push like playing domestic cricket just for the name of it or the sake of it is not needed for these two guys, That is what I beat.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 4: Yes, you brought in the Runi trophy thing because they were not doing well in red ball cricket. I understand that, But why trophy? Has there ever been a series where, like two series is we are playing a row with and a coolie comes in out of a break. Do you ever feel that, Oh, these guys are completely out of touch.
Speaker 3: But that was a little different before, right, they were playing multiple formats. Now they're playing only one format and probably an IPL so you need to be in touch for their own good. They should probably.
Speaker 4: They they have got like I said, I keep on beating that same drum. They have got merit in their ranks. You do not see a row Charma changing his approach because of him being away from the game for a long period of time. Comes in, he plays that same way. Bikoli does the same thing as well. Then why do you need to force it across the border. Barber a bigger star than anyone.
Speaker 5: Else, my god, and what does he do there? That is also the question that is where I was going to come. Actually, you you're talking like we're talking about someone from Sri Lanka or West Indies or kan or Zimbabwe. You're talking about two of the greatest odios players ever born in any era, and they have given so much to the game. Barber is not a great cricket Barber is a fraud. For all the all all the technicality that he has had, his temperament is just not there. You can see that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: He always he wanted to be the captain. He and his father and his brother, so they had this, Yeah, I want to be the captain and my friends will play cricket for Pakistan. Look at what he's done to Pakistan cricket until the time Parkistan cricket realizes that he's a fraud.
Speaker 3: They done, the.
Speaker 4: Whole team became a fraud. Transition to so ice.
Speaker 5: Now they're okay, okay, no problem world. When it comes scored some forty seven or seventy five balls, he's playing the cricket of nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: Next game he comes Class three classic players, vintage players.
Speaker 5: Around. You know this this is because this is this is just like we don't have anyone super super superstars. All brand dose means everything around Pakistan cricket was around barbarasam and look at where Pakistan cret is still.
Speaker 3: Barber has the best cover driving.
Speaker 5: Good for good for the riling up, good for Yeah, what say.
Speaker 3: Like one one one quick last question before we wind up this episode of Sledging podcast. Schumann Gil captain playing under him seven World Cup. Do you see that happening?
Speaker 5: It might happen with how our coaches are because but will agree to that. I don't think so? It it this this this is a very very what is a maker big sitution for ro interested career. Dooney was the one who groomed Cool to be his deputy.
Speaker 3: You didn't groom anyone. That's the problem.
Speaker 5: It's not like Roy did not groom anyone. Was the vice captain? Care was the vice captain?
Speaker 3: How many mesa was? Gill was the vice captain under captains? Tell me champions he was the vice captain champions.
Speaker 5: Of Fine And more importantly, if you want to give Gil the captaincy on the name of giving him a longer run and giving the giving India a young captain so that he can fit in this, this has to hold some merit.
Speaker 3: But why don't we look at the other ways and when r is around itself, Gil gets the captaincy and Ruith is around to mentor him through the rest of the cycle till the twenty one seven World Cup. Probably that might also work, right as in like Dony did that to Kohli like for two years, although Coli didn't end up winning a lot of tournaments after that, and that experience when you have a shoulder to lean on. But I think and one more thing, I have a very very controversial opinion that you were putting so much on Schumann Gil. Yes, his team drew a series in England, but it is not on his tactical billions or cause coach gum his team selections. Again, I'm getting back to that sort. No, at twenty six, Vera was an all format captain, Barber was an all format captain at twenty and.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is.
Speaker 3: The superstars have to take the responsibility. If you are a superstar, you have to take the responsibility.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Schumann Gill is being framed as the superstar. He is one of the stars of indegraded right now. Let him score and perform and let him win you more games. Cooley used to win games. I guess prime Malinga at the age of twenty two twenty three. I want schumann Gill do something like that before getting captain c for India. You're giving him the captain's interesting get great, fine. You played against a supper England team and their own home conditions where their main book fast boros are not there, and they were also there were also there were so many catches off from both sides, a lot of hay wire things happened, and in the nick of the moment you finally managed to level the series. You know, before the last wicket was falling. Well, we all knew England could win the Series three one. Would you have the same narative? Then no, no, you can't have this. I am not a see I have been an integrated fan and I'm proud to say that my cricket team in this has always worn things. They reached the finals of big tournaments. I don't see Schumann will let the captain who will take you to the final of an I SEC tournament in his first captaincy in his debut tournament.
Speaker 4: I agree to one fact which Saurab is saying, like you know, putting all the pressure on him right now does not also work out for USA is an experience hunt because with Rowith he has demanded that respect from this team. Right with DONI there was that respect, and DONI gave that respect to Cooley and Coley carried it forward. Coley got his own people in and they were all starting to perform under him, while DONI slowly became like a character in the background. He was there, but he was not at the forefront of it. Now, let a guilt slowly become If you want to make him the superstar, let him take more responsibility with the bat. Let it let him be show some aggression right up top, like how Rowith is doing. Maybe follow suit or maybe when a rat is there. He can probably become a run machine under Wirat's guidance. And then you put him into the spotlight of being the captain, which I don't see it happening in two years time. Give the guy, give him some breathing space as well. He's already got the Test cricket thing on his head and he's now being put into the T two das as well. Let him slowly develop and then see we know that inevitably he's going to be all format player and the all format captain. I'm saying that right now he is going to end up taking up all three formats and becoming the single captain of all three sites. That is where this is heading towards now for these two for this format and the T two dyes, let him grow into that role, Let him take more responsibility, be the aggressor and sometimes save the team winner. Run chase maybe five or six or seven, how he was performing in England, Let him do that right now. You're going to thrust him in everywhere. He's going to be like a flavor of the season. And then once that dies off, he will also die off. Not in the way like how a Row than Koli did it because they built it on respect, performances and their.
Speaker 3: Aura that you have.
Speaker 4: He's not Sumann has not got that aura right now, let him build it, build on it.
Speaker 3: We have selected teams based on looks, looks and aura. Yeah, yeah, I think we have to go the gen Z way also a little bit.
Speaker 5: But you're not talking about the main thing with me and al talk the performances swimming. Gill has to keep on performing. Had a generational series in Australia and let try ses. You have a you have an audios is coming in Australia. Let's see what Gis does there and then leave the marketing bit out, leave the aura with out, leave the freest bit out, let him perform. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: Then. Yeah, it is more than some of the guys you talk about in Odio cricket. Already an established superstar and Odia cricket.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, he had a.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty three was sensational for I'm telling you, Let him win a match on his own, let him win a series on his own, let him show that spark of brilliance.
Speaker 4: Because if you if you're going, if you're going to throw out.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, in there is more likelihood of him becoming the Odia Captain than him becoming the T twenty I. You know, mainstay is what I think, because he's a he's a tailor made for Odio cricket is what I think. Yeah, good in tests, moving to be good in tests. Not a T twenty I, I agree with that. Yeah, not a T twenty I enforcer at this point. He can be a good anchor something that we did for us like for the last three four years. But I think that him becoming the Odio Captain before the Odio World Cup is probably on the card.
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't be surprised if he takes number three also from Wirat. Maybe not think he would love to take that if he takes up number three from Wirat, who he considers him to be his idol. And I think Coley also has that soft spot for Shupman because of their roots being same and we've seen them interact in the team as.
Speaker 5: Well as in the Star Wars.
Speaker 3: I just hope that Sumann doesn't graze Beard and come out.
Speaker 4: Of that I think that is also inevitable at some point probably, but yeah, I think Sumann might end up being the number three also captain and number three that is the biggest responsibilities he could have. Will be at number three. Test May is at number four. He's following the Rali route in my opinion, so that, like you said, it might be inevitable. But for me, I think Road and Cooley has to play the twenty seven World Cup. There is no if sent buds. If both of them have fitness and they have the mind to go ahead and do it, they should play.
Speaker 3: I think by the time we meet them next week we'll have a little more clarity on all these, at least on the Asia Cup thing. I don't know what clarity do we need about Roth and Kohli. As far as we are concerned, they should stay on until the twenty twenty seven World Cup. Yes, but it's also important to get the thoughts of our listeners and viewers on you know where the schumannill is cut for tree twenty eyes and what's the buss about? What the fuss about? You know we're at and do it in the ODA squad. You can send in your thoughts on eight five double eight nine, double six, double ninety six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple podcast, please do rate us and, like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your comment. You'll be more than happy to learn your feedback.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.
Speaker 1: In a world of contested potterers and silent batters. One voice cut through the noise? Was Israel able to achieve its aim? When Israel bombed Iran?
Speaker 4: Do you think that Chinese army is at war with itself?
Speaker 6: Joined veteran war correspondent God of sabonth one of India's most trusted voices in defense journalism.
Speaker 4: Namaskar and jahand I'm God.
Speaker 6: A seventh listen to Chuck review with Gor of Savand on India Today Podcasts, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, YouTube Music and your favorite audio utity platform.
Speaker 1: Stay alert. The war for truth start here