Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI A six on demand. Jack, Welcome to Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 2: Hello, good morning, Hi there so far, first time listener to this radio program. It was referred to me during a few of the podcast Los Angeles and tuning in and so far, like in two things that I've heard that I've been able to connect to you. One is kind of the outside perimeter of what the church has looked like versus the inside activity and behaviors when they're leaving there and away from there. And I'm finding myself in a really good relationship at one point that had just some very deep friendship and a very long laughing life with a pregnancy. Even though unmarried and in a religious difference, there was still a very common ground there. And now that it's getting closer to first, just kind of wondering maybe an approach to have a religious and non religious parents for weekend activity or daily activity with church versus maybe working on a project at the house. Both kind of have the same ending and meaning in life. But I don't want to push my ground and I don't think the other thing that she would want to for sure stan making somebody do this than that, So sure.
Speaker 1: This becomes difficult. So I'm assuming you're the one that's not.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a very religious background. I understand a lot of the you know, just a lot of Christianity that around it. My mom and family are still very involved in the church at a very advanced level, and so that part of it I get. And I see them do it more as an individual versus a group. And when I go into the group setting, maybe I don't get. I just don't get out of it. I do as an individual.
Speaker 1: Okay, what what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is? Do you like any other group activities?
Speaker 2: There's just uh, you know, work activities and old personal hobbies that I like to do with a golf group or a tennis group, or just even a project hobby with some friends and their kids, making little burthouses or something on the weekend. It just.
Speaker 4: Like working with your hands, apparently. But why do you think it's different when you're in a church.
Speaker 2: Maybe because I see a lot, I hear all the great ways of life, but I don't see it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, think of it this way.
Speaker 4: If you're in a garage and they're going to talk about all the you know, great types of cars, and how wonderful cars are everything, But every car in that garage is being worked, so you're not going to see the cars really souped up.
Speaker 1: Necessarily until they leave.
Speaker 2: So okay, So.
Speaker 4: It's kind of maybe expectations are part of the problem there. And what what the function of the church is. I think perception is very important. And when you go in thinking it's going to be one thing, yeah, it churches is a turn off many times. Anyways, it just is it's a really hard concept to swallow when you've got some imperfect guy or gal standing from the pulpit preaching or teaching something, and all you can think and all people do is kind of reflect off of this person and say, ah, either they've got issues, or this person next to me has issues and I'm not like that, or this just seems phonny up here comes the hat again. Now I gotta throw more money in here, and they're gonna tell me twenty minutes as to why I need to put money in here, and all that. I get that there's a lot of the crust of the experience that isn't so wonderful. However, you get through that, there's a lot of things that have that experience that you blow through to get to the good. Whether it's going out to eat, whether it's going to an amusement park, whether I mean you could go ah the parking or all the lines, whether but you get through it because there's a benefit or a payoff there, and I would hate for you to miss the benefit of the payoff just because of the.
Speaker 1: The barnacles of the experience.
Speaker 2: I see the benefit of what we're doing with our kid, and I just want to make sure that there's a neutral approach to it and from just myself to respect that because maybe I don't go, or I wouldn't go every every Sunday, Like now I'm starting to see this happening versus it never was a part of the relationship and now maybe so I still want to respect that, but at the same time, I want to just kind of keep my individual approach to it on a on a Sunday afternoon and do something. I just want to make sure that that's still good and should that be respected from the religious side too, to see that what I'm doing has same impact with our child as going to church every Sunday. Well, there's nothing from the religious sides of the.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, there's all kinds of ways. Don't don't get stuck into just the building with your pretty windows. That's not the point. It's not just about that structure.
Speaker 1: There. There's more to it. Now.
Speaker 4: I don't like hearing the term neutral when it comes to raising the child. When you have to find neutral ground in this sense, it.
Speaker 1: Really is neutral.
Speaker 4: Is is like in a car, since we're on car analogies for some reason today, it's not You're not going to move forward or backward really unless the you're on a hill or something like that. And I don't think it's fair to the child when you get to a place where you really are wishy washy on things to try and make everybody happy. I think you make a decision, the two of you as parents on how you're going to raise this kid, and if if you're going to raise them without God, then rais the without God. If you're going to raise them with God, raise them with God. But a kind of neutral, weird kind of I'd rather be home but building, you know, a birdhouse, than actually working on his spiritual life or or the life or the child.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, yeah, yeah, you're right. The kid will be raised with God. And I'm fine with that. I just would think that on the mandating Christian side that there would be a respect for maybe just let's go somewhere for a family for a day and not no breakfast, no, and race off to a religious group. Maybe we can have a day of independence with the family with the same godly meaning.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's possible. I hear it in your voice. You want to do everything you can to stay out of that church. I understand that.
Speaker 2: Well, because I see a church on the beach. I see a group of fifty guts two people on the beach, and I think that's a great spiritual way to go learn about God.
Speaker 4: It absolutely can, it absolutely can. But don't fall into the sphere. No, that's not a You can worship God any way you see fit. You really can, and there is a lot of leeway in scripture as to how you worship, even which day you worship and all of those things. However, it's like anything else, why are you doing it? And if you can really ask yourself that question honestly and answer it honestly, then you'll find you know as to what you're looking for. If you're just looking for a church that's like less structured and that doesn't have a lot of the you know, the stuff you don't like. Fine, But if you're looking for a church that you don't participate in, that you don't actually give money to, that you don't be a part of in the sense of being part of the community, then it's not a church. It's a group of people kind of coming together. Maybe at best it's a Bible study. And that's a different experience, just like you living on it in a neighborhood is different than you living in a house that's next to other houses. If you're not participating with your neighbors, you're not connecting with them. They don't know who you are, you don't know who they are. That's not a neighborhood. It's a house next to other houses. Okay, So if you if you want to engage.
Speaker 2: A very there's a very good family here, and there is a great neighborhood and it's a great upbringing for the kid, and we both want the same things for this kid.
Speaker 1: But you understand the analogy.
Speaker 2: No, I understand the analogy.
Speaker 4: Okay, because if you don't get lost in just a go somewhere that seems spiritual. Because I find that people that really want to get away from so called organized religion, just don't want the accountability. And if that's the case, then it misses, it brushes past everything of value in the church.
Speaker 2: Well that's where i'm a little bit of because I'm finding myself maybe making a mistake and then holding myself accountable for it. But on on the other side of it, I'm seeing her and she's a many mistakes but not making that attempt. And I'm just kind of on a very patient ground right now.
Speaker 4: It's tough, isn't it when you not when you don't see eye to eye spiritually, it's really tough to have a child. You can ever without a child, everything's peachy keen, but the minute you put a child into the equation, it changes everything. And nobody listens to me when I tell.
Speaker 2: Them that, no, it's it's a thing. It wasn't It was never an issue in our relationship. It was very well respected.
Speaker 1: And but now you're gambling with your child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now it's just different, and the religion thing isn't really so much of the issue. Well it is, but at the same time, there's the accountability of just being honest and the friends that we were in the relationship when we find ourselves in mistake mode, and that's where I'm just you'll find it.
Speaker 4: Well, there's just more at stake right now, Jack, And in that process, you're gonna everyone's going to be holding onto their own You're a smart guy, and you're an honest guy.
Speaker 1: You're going to find the right thing.
Speaker 4: Just be balanced and be aware of why you're doing what you're doing and why you're not doing what you don't want to do, and be honest with yourself first and then with each other.
Speaker 1: Alfonso, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: I just want to start with saying I'm a loyal listener and I really love your show every weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you so much. I appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I've been curious about something and I and I wanted to call and ask about the significance of the head coverings. Uh sometimes uh uh you know some religions where the where the you know, the women cover their heads and they they they don't and or or some other religions where they where they were the the Yamica, and and then in occasions they don't. And and I've seen h you know, other the bishops on a TV interview he had a read one on and you know, I just kind of I was, you know, very curious about that, and I knew you were the perfect one to call and ask, well.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that the head coverings, and we'll focus on Christianity just because that's the purpose of the program. But to broaden it, they all kind of go back to the same place. It's a sign of respect. It's a sign of respect and humility before God. So as far as if you read First Corinthians eleven and you went through it, I know a lot of people will read this and go, oh my gosh, that's you know, the women have to wear head coverings. This is obviously to make women lesser. No, no, it's actually quite beautiful. And if you read on, it's not about an equality thing, but about a structure thing and an importance to show that there that the people of God.
Speaker 1: Were submissive towards God.
Speaker 4: And really a lot of things that were done early on were done to separate our Jewish brothers and sisters, and therefore early Christians from looking like pagans. The pagan prostitutes would shave their heads and things like that. So Christian women early in the early Christian Church would wear head coverings to separate themselves from looking like the prostitutes. That's kind of focus on what the base of it is. Always about respect, always about giving glory to God and humility. Linda, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show. Hi there, how many I help you?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 6: So basically my question is okay, So basically my question is I don't understand how you're supposed to. I guess interpret the Bible or read it basically, like you know, because I've heard a lot of it has to do with symbolism, Like a lot of the stories and a lot of the verses and stuff are symbolized. And basically my question is, are you supposed to read the Bible at space value or just to take it at face value and interpret every single word exactly for what it says, or are you supposed to symbolize everything?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: No, in the if you made everything a symbol, it really doesn't mean anything. It takes the weight of the entirety of the weight out of scripture. I'll tell you it's quite easy, really, And here's a good trick for you to use should you want to study scripture. Scripture is very clear about explaining when something's a dream. It's very clear when something's a story. Every time that I tell a story, I start by saying, I'm going to tell you a story, or here's a parable. If if that's not being done, then the assumption it would be correct to assume that it's to be taken literally. Now, not everything in the Bible is true. It's just true that it was said and therefore put in the Bible. So for instance, if the devil himself said there is no God, but he was saying it on the Mount of Olives or something in front of people or next to me, for instance, he's standing next to Christ and he says it, it might get in scripture, but it doesn't mean that it's true. So not everything is prescriptive or prescribed, and it's important to see that. Sometimes scripture is just describing something that took place, and this took place and you should know about it, and the verse versus, like the Ten Commandments are prescriptive saying you should do these things or you should not do these things, and that they're two different ways. So there's many important parts of scripture, and any work of antiquity quite honestly. For instance, if you looked at Shakespeare, Shakespeare talks about some things that are true, some things that took place, but it's all fiction. It's all written as theater, but doesn't mean he didn't use real characters and things like that. Now, in scripture, it's a historic account from the eyes of many of what went on in certain times and then put together because of the fact that they have similar content and a similar conclusion and similar purpose. But to take something literal when Christ himself says and here is a parable would be silly. But it'd be equally as silly to make something where he doesn't say, this as a story and it's not a parable, and to take that and make it just, well, I'm gonna interpret interpret it as a story because that's not the way it's said. So in that in those context, it's important to understand what is being said and why it's being said, and what the seating of the discussion is. In scripture, you read before it, you read after it, and you get a feel for it. And in doing that, I think you get a better idea of what scripture is. It's like, not just should it be interpreted literally or symbolically. That's not fair. That doesn't make any sense. Not everything in it is literal, maybe literal that they said it, or maybe literal that it was written down, but it's it's not literal when I when I say in scripture it is easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than it is to get a rich man into heaven. That's absurdity, that's just that's trying to be that's actually being sarcastic. You can't get a camel through the eye of a needle.
Speaker 1: And there are many.
Speaker 4: Who have believed, Oh, well, those are gates at the front of the city that were very small and when they shut the big gates later at night, if you had if you were traveling and had to come in, you had to come by way these small gates they called the eye of the needle. None of that has been confirmed, even though I've seen it in encyclopedia as before, and they've been wrong. So it really was trying to fit a camel through the eye of a needle, which is impossible. Yet you know, it's not impossible to get a rich person into heaven, So that wasn't being literal.
Speaker 1: The illustration was that.
Speaker 4: It's it's quite difficult because people end up worshiping money and end up focusing on that and losing sight of the things that are important and real in their lives. So scripture, yes, and many parts should be taken literally. When it says thou shalt not murder, it means thou shold I'll not take the life of the innocent.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 4: It's not a story or anything like that, thankfully, because those Ten Commandments were pretty much built into the very laws that you enjoy in these United States. So having an understanding of those things and knowing when it's different in scripture is important when it's just describing something. It's important to know that when it's prescribing something you should do this or you should not do that. That's important, and know where it falls into context and what is trying to be said. But absolutely it is in there, and there's no reason to take it and entirely symbolically because that doesn't make sense either. And there's also times that I confirm things that I would talk about them too, not saying, hey, you remember that story, but go into it as if it was history that was taught, whether it be Adam and Eve or things like that, and they get they got prominence as well. Sharon, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: How can I help you?
Speaker 5: My neighbor and I were having a discussion. My husband died forty four years ago. Her husband died four years ago. Yes, we both were holding their hands. One day.
Speaker 3: Left us.
Speaker 5: I watched my husband for seven hours while watched his eyes, I watched his mouth, everything to see if I because I knew he was leaving and I wanted to see if there was something different going to happen. It didn't. So neither one of us and probably millions more would like to know when when the life goes out of the person, does their soul go to heaven? And when the Bible says that at the end God will raise everyone up if their souls are already in heaven, does that mean He's going to raise their their bodies out of those.
Speaker 3: Out of that coffin.
Speaker 4: Well, there's I would like to focus on on the heaven part, because it's most important to somebody who has passed and put and point towards some of those things.
Speaker 1: But there's no need for the body as a vessel. It's ashes, dashes, dust, to dust. That's a carrier.
Speaker 4: And so the focus should be on what scripture says about the passing of someone. And in Hebrews Hebrews, chapter nine, verse twenty seven, it says, and inasmuch as it is appointed for man to die once and after this comes judgment, very very simple.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Second Corinthians five eight also says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. So yes, to the god fearing person, to the believer, there with God.
Speaker 5: They immediately go with God.
Speaker 1: That's good, Yeah, I would think so I would tend to agree.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a great yeah.
Speaker 4: No need to stop, no need to get Anderson's pea soup, no need to go on a long drive anywhere, get gas, get snacks.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 5: And I want to know my husband's and I mean his soul is him?
Speaker 7: Oh absolutely, and he is with God's.
Speaker 5: That's all I care about.
Speaker 4: What a beautiful statement. In Second Corinthians five eight, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
Speaker 5: Okay, you've answer my question.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Well then you go in peace. You are very very welcome. And that gets confusing and scary.
Speaker 4: And the concept as to what's going on, and a lot of it gets kind of complicated theological, and that's of interest to some, but some people just need that simple verse to move them along that way and to go into peace. When sometimes that hits in such a way that it's like, well, what's going on and what is happening? The end time stuff and the raising of the it gets into a whole muddy mess of stuff that I prefer we talk about it from time to time, but on a case like this, to prefer to focus on the simplicity of that truth, because I think it's an important one and also one that is kind of overlooked in all the you know, the many versions of well this is what happens, and this is what happens, and just stick with that beauty. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Wendy, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 7: Jesus, thank you, You're my Lord and Savior. And I praise your holy name.
Speaker 1: Oh praise God, thanks for calling.
Speaker 7: I was raised in a conservative Southern Baptist church and I still hold those values and belief and it's regarding music. I'm a musician. I love all types of music. I love opera, classical, I love what's that ghetto rap? I love every type of music, every type of music that there is. But I believe that there's maybe more okay, well being being raised with the hymns, the old hymns like great is Thy faithfulness? And when the when the role is called, there's a different vibrational frequency. That is, I don't know, place stuff on your soul. I can't see you.
Speaker 4: See now you're getting into metaphysics, and that might be a problem too.
Speaker 7: Well, Okay, Let's say somebody has has like sexual sin okay, and they go to a striper bar and they watch those girls on the pole. If there was opera playing or hymns, I don't think that they would be into it, because I think it's I listen to me for a second.
Speaker 1: I don't think they'd care.
Speaker 7: Who's they Those.
Speaker 4: That are in the strip joint, they're not going there to see naked women and some cool jams. They're going there to see naked women. The association between certain music and certain vibes, Yes, of course, there are certain things that you have to be in the mood for. There is no evil music, there are evil words, there's evil intent, but there is not one. Okay, let's uh, maybe an e minor is a little dark, but there's no there's no such thing as an evil note.
Speaker 7: Okay, well wait, wait what about like Highway to Hell?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's a lyric. That's a lyric.
Speaker 4: And I will tell you this, I'll go even a little further with you that if you put the actual contents of scripture into lyrics, with the beast reality and the rape and the multiple partners, you wouldn't be able to listen to it then either, even though it's straight out of the Bible. The Bible, i will tell you, is the filthiest, most violent book that you will come across. It's not prescriptive that way. It's describing that these things took place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: So then we have to look at scripture the same way, or outside of scripture the same way. Any music, is it being prescriptive or is it describing something? We play a lot of secular music on the show for that very reason, because a lot of it is describing how they believe, either Christians believe, or the confusion they have in life, or the frustrations they have in life.
Speaker 1: And that's Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, if it's telling you to go out and commit a sacrifice, if it's telling you go out and take a life, if it's telling you to go out and do these things, then yes there's a problem. If it's describing them, you have to have the sense of an old cow and eat the hay and leave the sticks. That's the key in life altogether. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it evil. I know Christians have gotten to a place where where they're very comfortable in letting, in putting their stamp of disapproval on everything. But I assure you, as they point to all these movies and songs, that the scripture is at the top of the list on what you wouldn't want to see and wouldn't want to hear about if it was accurate in a song or in a movie.
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty on demand