Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network. Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin. Let me thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Good to see you justin. I hear you're out last week having fun.
Speaker 3: Fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah you want to call that fun? A d DOOS attack on my network? Yeah, that's not fun.
Speaker 1: So what is How does somebody know that they're getting that because a lot of people have no clue. They just the Internet slowed down or whatnot.
Speaker 2: I mean that's kind of that. That's kind of how it can be different, right. Well, no, I mean we we that's pretty much how we found out. It was just like everything was nobody could get to our website. Some of our you know, enterprises just were having really bad Internet connectivity. But I was showing everything was up, but I also couldn't get to the website. So I literally just had to reach out to the provider one. I reached out to the the website for because we don't host our own website, somebody else hosts it. And They're like, oh, yeah, you guys are under a DDoS attack, And I'm like, oh great, And then I reached out to our internet service provider and they're like, yeah, you're under a DDoS attack. And I'm like, okay, so this is a multi front one, Like they're really going after us, Like we must have really made somebody mad at water World this year. I don't know, they crazy. Yeah, but no, it went on for a couple of days. I mean it it kind of like calmed down after a while. They put some you know, they put some I don't know what you want to call it, just some some things in place to kind of mitigate the damage. But yeah, no, it was not fun. Definitely not fun. But I'm here.
Speaker 1: I worked for but I still worked for a company, not this one, but that had a full attack. But it was it was to the point where they got inside, they got into the systems, they were able to destroy it, basically ransom out.
Speaker 2: It was just awful.
Speaker 1: It's it took them moment almost three weeks to recover from that. And you know, I remember I was talking to somebody else and they said, well, what do you do to protect that? And I said, you just got to hope that nobody within the organization is click happy, you know, no matter what companies can sit there and try and try and give these courses and lessons. Don't click everything you get because that's one thing could take down I mean seriously, am I right? One thing could take down an entire company. You're you're right when you say that. However, a DDUS attack is different than just getting malware or a virus on inside your network. What you're kind of referencing there is, yes, somebody who doesn't know what they're doing, clicking on something and they end up installing some sort of malware or virus or even worse, something like a like a crypto bot or something that will you know, ransomware, ransomware. There you go, ransomware too. This was different because this wasn't from the end side. This was from the outside. And there's really no way to tell where it comes from because it is a d d OS. SODS stands for denial of service, the other D in front of it. D d OS means distributed denial of service, so it can really honestly come from anywhere. We don't know where it originates. But this is why people talk about these things like like Sean, you're into the wisecams. I've got real link cameras. Andy you might have a smart fridge or your printer. These are all called the Internet of Things IoT. Now, a lot of these devices, especially these cheap cameras like Whys and and real Link and other things like that, they don't nobody patches these things. They have security flaws inherent in them. And also a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people don't even don't even change the credentials. I do get.
Speaker 1: Firmware updates with WYSE because we have wise distributed, so that that's.
Speaker 2: Been good, I mean that is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they've had their problems in the past, which and.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to I'm not trying to poop on Whys here, I'm just saying I'm just giving them as example. There's there's plenty of other companies.
Speaker 1: Had their issues, remember people who were looking at other people's cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ring and but but it especially is damaging to these really cheap internet connected devices that exploiters can take control over really easily, and you'll never know. You'll never know because your your printer, your camera, your smart speaker could be a part of a bot network that is just doing these DDoS attacks and so the only thing that might notice it is, oh, hey, my Internet's a little bit slower than it normally is. I wonder why it must be the must be the ISP, they must be having problems. No, it's because you have a handful of devices on your network that are now attacking some random person out there on the web and you have no idea.
Speaker 1: So your device could be being used, yes, to attack somebody else. Yes, hackers can hack. Hackers definitely can can get into these devices that are unsecured or at least just don't have the default credentials. A lot of people, you know, these devices are like their logins are like admin admin or admin password or whatever, and people don't change that. They don't think they need to, but they really do. So if you have these devices that have just default credentials to log into them, it is very important that you do change those. And Andy to your point, it's it's very important that you update your firmware because it patches these holes. And some people they see a firmware notice or they hear of one, and they, yeah, I don't want to bother with it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go through all of that. Oh I love it when I get a firmware notification, you do, I love it. I love it. I get a firm More notification, like, yeah, let's do it. Let's let's see what new features. Let's let's read the release notes. Let's find out what polls they patched. You know, like, I love firm More updates. I'm always checking everything in my house. I'm checking what devices out there have firm More updates. You Ever, there's a couple of programs out there.
Speaker 1: I know that you can actually do a sweep of your home and find out devices that are on your network.
Speaker 2: Some people like will do that and go wait, what is this? They what are some of those things that you're talking about? Like what what software? Do you know? There is a software and fing do it fing f I G.
Speaker 3: It's a really if Yeah, it's a It's an app that will do network monitoring. You can check for devices, you can whitelist, blacklist. It'll notify you of new devices that come on. It's a it's an iOS app. There's a paid version for it, there's a free version. You can do basic ping tests with it, speed tests those.
Speaker 2: It's also a Windows app. It's not just iOS.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I use it on iOS just because it helps me monitor a couple things on my phone. But outside of that, I mean, most routers have a common tool that you can use to to to check for things like that too, But outside of that, I don't know of any other software.
Speaker 2: That well, a lot of a lot of routers. You know, a lot of people out there, they just use the default router that was given to them by their ISP. They just feel like, okay, that's enough, it's good enough. The ISPs get those routers are the worst. I mean, the ISP. They don't care as long as it connects you to the Internet and you got Internet service and you're paying for it. They don't care about your security.
Speaker 3: And a handful of people that I you know, everybody knows. I'm the guy that knows it. So they always call me with their I problems and the number of people that I've had gone over their house and they say, my WiFi is garbage, like it's terrible upstairs. And they don't realize that they took the router they were provided by their ISP, set it up, plugged it into their wireless router right next to it, and never disabled the Wi Fi off the base router. Oh, so they're they're connecting to their.
Speaker 2: Router on the same frequency channel ye.
Speaker 3: They're blasting each other and they're maybe fifteen twenty feet away. It's fine, but you get upstairs, you get forty fifty sixty feet away, and the Internet starts to get degraded terribly because they're just they're just channel surfing all the same channels, trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: That that is true. But there there there have been improvements in wireless connectivity and a lot of routers. And I'm not saying the ISPs do this because they're crap, but if you have anything that's actually somewhat from this century, they'll they'll they will they will monitor the channels that are in use, and they will switch. If it determines that a particular Wi Fi channel is overloaded or just being used by a lot of devices, it will try to find a channel that is not being used and it will switch to that channel. But if the device reboots, you know, your router reboots or whatever, it's gonna have to do this all over again from scratch.
Speaker 1: Now, some people have wondered, you know, with the network and people could connect to the network, what about Bluetooth. You know a lot of people have Bluetooth devices now in their homes. Can Bluetooth devices actually be dangerous.
Speaker 2: That you know, if you have them open.
Speaker 1: I know that recently I did a test on a new product that I looked at, the cell to jack device, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about that later. But I noticed I had an Xi x yo available a Bluetooth device.
Speaker 1: Obviously it would be an offshore company based in China because that's basically what it was representing.
Speaker 2: And then I had my neighbor who I know her name, her Mac.
Speaker 1: Was available via bluetooth, and that should I go over there and say, hey, you might want to lock that down or I mean, how how safe would how should we worry about Bluetooth connections?
Speaker 2: For the most part, Bluetooth it's it's a little bit more secure than just regular old just Wi Fi. I guess in a certain way, I know there's gonna be a lot there to say, oh, no, you're wrong, justin no. But like when you try to connect a Bluetooth device, a lot of times the receiving end of it will say, hey, so and so is trying to connect. Do you want to pair you this device with this random thing? So it'll at least try to give you a warning, But that's not to say that it's not without fault. I'll give you an example, and this is not necessarily Bluetooth. This is a little bit more with Wi Fi, but the concept remains the same. We have and I believe I think I mentioned this on the show a year ago or so, but my company runs a fitness center and there's a lot of televisions in the fitness center, and these televisions are smart televisions, and people would actually bring their phones in and somebody decided, hey, let's just see what happens if I try to cast my phone to one of these TVs. And they were able to cast their phone to the TV. So what they did was any natural person would do, is they just started to showing porn on on TVs. Oh my god, and a fitness center. So we obviously had to, you know, disable. But I'm just saying, is the point of the story, the moral of the story is it's not necessarily secure. I mean, you've got to be careful with what you're doing these devices and hackers, they're going to find the easiest, least path of resistance way of getting into your device, and they're not going to stop until they do. And that's why there are firmware updates. That's why their software updates. Because companies, it's whack a mole. You're gonna patch one or two holes and another two or three are gonna pop up.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering though, when it comes to routers, because I know that we have people listening that may have been in that same situation justin where they were using you know, the router provided by the cable company, and you know manufacturers that can vary. Is there a router manufacturer? I mean, we have the big names, Netgear, Linksys, Is there some that are better than others or that are highly regarded. I know that you know, Abiquity, We've we've heard about them. They seem to have, you know, a pretty good a pretty good stronghold when it comes to companies. But what about for the consumer, like when they're they're looking for that type of device.
Speaker 2: See, now here's the thing. I had an answer ready to go for you, but the moment you just said consumer, it went out the window. Yes, I mean obviously you can buy I personally, I personally am running an Asus router and it's off the shelf. Okay, I mean it's a I think it was four hundred and fifty bucks. Plus I added an extra Wi Fi extender upstairs that connects to this. So yeah, four hundred, five hundred dollars for that thing. However, if if you got a little bit of it knowledge and a spare you know, small PC laying around that doesn't have to be really powerful, I would highly recommend PF sense. PF sense is an open Yeah, PF Paul franksense dot org is the website. PF sense amazing open source. Now when you see that, we hear the word opens you're like, oh, well, well hold on. Open source means anybody can contribute, anybody can make it. Yeah, that's true. However, it goes through a whole peer review before it ever gets approved, and there are a lot of people out there that know a lot more than I do, and they're gonna review every type of every piece of code that gets introduced, and they're gonna say, Okay, yeah this is good, or no, this is not good. We're not going to allow this to go through.
Speaker 3: So happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, PF sense is a great way to run an open source doesn't cost you a dime, and it only costs you hardware. And if you got an old PC laying around, throw Linux on it and throw PF Sense on it, and now you've got your own home router. And uh, it's great, but it does require a little bit of it knowledge. John, do you have like a preference when it comes to routers?
Speaker 3: And so I've always been privy to Netgear, it seems to just over the years, Netgear's kind of been always one I've landed on, whether it was provided for me at my apartment or one that I bought. I'm running a Nighthawk here, which is their They're kind of their top of the line for consumer before you start getting into enterprise level stuff from Netgear. And we used Netgear Grades, which is a professional uh you know, Layer three S, which is at we're at at the university for certain things. So Netgear's kind of been the router of choice for me. And I would have said PF Sense if Justin hadn't said it first. It's just I don't know much about it. I know it exists. It's something that I've thought about playing around with, but outside of the generic security rules in place and my Windows Defender, like, I'm not running much more security than that.
Speaker 2: Now, if you were a talk to Matt. Now, I know Matt's not here tonight. Actually, Matt just was traveling back from Washington, d C. He went out there for the Washington Commanders versus the Raiders game. He was a big Raiders fan, and I was like, why would you do that to yourself? First off, why would you travel oh halfway across the country just to see the Raiders lose. I'm sorry, I'm a Raiders hater, and he's not here to defend himself. But anyway, if Matt was here tonight, he would tell you that he likes Ubiquity Unify. He's a big Unify guy. So that's another great one. But to Shawn's point, Unify can be just dabbling your toes into the enterprise side of things. I remember when my wife started a billing business. She did a medical building from home back around two thousand and nine. We use Sonic Wall and they were always pushing. They were always pushing updates. It was good. Never had an issue with him until the router just just died. What happened. I've heard mixed reactions about Sonic Wall. I've heard that Sonic Wall for what you get, I mean, they do protect you but they also constantly are trying to push you to pay more money for this subscription or you know, add on this feature for an extra five dollars a month or whatever. And so I don't like that, that that model of business.
Speaker 1: All right, So when it comes to that, I use neckar Modem, Lynxis routers.
Speaker 2: I've been using Lynxis for a long time, and I've.
Speaker 1: Upgraded holped You've changed your password, yeah, of course, oh yeah, always I that's kind of a common thing. But yeah, that's the problem is some of them are a little looser than others when it comes to the security that's on there. And again another reason. Run the firmware updates. Now I'm wondering, what about firmware updates on motherboards, bios updates, Yeah, bios updates and doing those. Some people don't ever do those. I do them all the time because I look at it this way. We've got so many computers and Seawan you can probably speak to this at Notre Dame, but at Highland Hills. I mean, we got so many Dell computers and they're all running Windows right, and Windows updates things, you know, every every Tuesday.
Speaker 2: They got patch Tuesday, right. Sometimes it's it's benign. So times it's a big patch. But what happens is is when Windows updates things faster than the manufacturer of the hardware can keep up with, then they have to issue like a BIOS update. And I've noticed so many times where a brand new Windows eleven Pro PC, top of the line Dell Precision just stops working and it's running slow, and I'm like, this doesn't make any sense. It's brand new. And then I go out and I find oh, there's a bios update, and I run the bios update and bam, everything's working great again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you mentioned this on the show a couple weeks ago, and you know me, Yeah you did? You meant justin, Yeah, Justin, you mentioned this on the show a couple weeks ago. We were having a problem with PC at work. It's a Lenovo Think Center running to dual thread rippers. We're using it for video transcoding and it's running, it's running the it's ridiculous Windows eleven server. It's it's this big beefe machine and it just kept struggling, kept struggling. We kept updating Windows and break things, kept breaking things. We put driver easy on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love Yeah Easy.
Speaker 3: It found all these drivers that weren't updated.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I don't I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: Why why would Yeah, why show you this stuff?
Speaker 3: I don't know. So it found it found like fifteen or sixteen drivers that were like, I'm out of date, and we installed them, rebooted, and it's been fine.
Speaker 2: Did you do that Driver Easy because you were like, hey, justin talked to him.
Speaker 3: Well, it just we were like every time it would do a Windows update because we update. You know, we have a guy on our team that his whole job is security and Windows and stuff like that, and.
Speaker 2: He didn't know about Driver Easy.
Speaker 3: I just told him. I was like, look, it's probably a driver. Let's let's get an enterprise license for Driver Easy. Let's put it on there. Let's see what happens. The worst thing we can do is update the drivers, right, and we updated the driver and it must have found one that was stuck or hadn't been updated driver and it's been weren't running great.
Speaker 2: Since No, what's the cost of driver Easy for somebody to use?
Speaker 3: I mean for an enterprise level. I don't know because I'm not paying for that. But I have the three I could put it on three PCs of my own and I think I paid like sixty sixty bucks for the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fifty sixty bucks a year.
Speaker 3: So it's been great, and it's it's helped me. It helped my machine. It's helped me on another machine that I have at home that I was struggling with after a Windows update where things were just dog slow and I was just like, why is this so slow? Driver Easy? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Justin Menston on the.
Speaker 3: Show, I bought it that night that night ran down my PC.
Speaker 2: While we were doing the show. Yeah, you were online buying it. Yeah. And then remember remember he disconnected because AD updated his driver and made him reboot like halfway through the show. Yes, no, but no, there also is a different version of Driver Easy. It's it's I think it's called like the PC help Desk Technician license. Basically, what it does is you get fifty licenses for driver Easy, but each license is only active for three days. So this is it allows a PC technician to install Driver Easy on a customer's computer, run the updates once, get it all updated, and be like, hey, look your computer's working great. I would recommend getting a subscription to this software that I just installed in your PC. So that's what we do. We have we don't need. I mean, we've got, oh gosh, I want to say, probably close to two hundred and fifty PCs in our organization. I can't afford to run driver easy constantly on those PCs, so I buy fifty licenses a year, and I don't know remember how much that is, maybe maybe three four hundred, five hundred dollars maybe, But it allows me anytime I need it, I can just put the license key in, it'll activate, take one of my licenses away, and it gives me three days to update all the drivers on that particular PC and then it deactivates itself. Nice. That's not bad. And I haven't used it yet.
Speaker 1: I've got a machine that's being a little testy. It won't let me look at my system, hardware, the type of board and everything else. I'm thinking, man, maybe maybe it just needs a driver fix. And driver easy also does bios too.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: Because some manufactures of boards, whether it be Asues, you know, Gigabit, whatever, Gigabyte, they don't put out they don't always release the drivers or make it easy for them to find. That's what I love All driver Easy is it. Somehow it has this magical database of every single component in the world, and it knows exactly where to go to find the drivers because it scans.
Speaker 3: Your hardware when you when you start it right, it's like, oh, you're running this a sus rog whatever. And then it goes, okay, here's the fifty drivers for your brotherboard chipset. You know well, I almost said northward to Southbridge where that it's all contained on the gpun the CPU. But it finds all these drivers and it's like, you've got seventeen drivers out of date out of fifty. It's like, yeah, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 2: And it even actually finds devices that aren't currently connected to your computer. It'll find printers. It'll say, hey, this printer is installed on your computer, but it's not active right now, like it might be turned off, but hey, here's a new driver for it. Next time it turns itself on and your computer connects will have the updated driver installed. Oh wow, that's pretty amazing. And where does somebody find this?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 2: Driver easy dot com?
Speaker 3: All right right now, if you go I just should to the website twenty nine ninety five for the year for three piece eas if you buy it. Oh my gosh, that's the deal. It's the deal I have on the web page right now.
Speaker 2: So for three that's pretty good for a whole year. That's amazing when it comes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when it came comes to tools that you want to have on your computer, obviously driver easy is going to be one of them.
Speaker 2: Well, number one, number one on the list. What would be another one that you would like?
Speaker 3: Bytes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, VLC, media player, share X.
Speaker 3: Which is what I use for screenshots and cropping and things like that.
Speaker 2: Share X is that better Windows snipping? Oh yeah, really?
Speaker 3: Some leaves and bounds better?
Speaker 2: Wait? Share How do you run it?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: What makes it?
Speaker 3: You just click on it and then it gives you it's it's if you're familiar with the Mac UI, you can set up hot key so like out of Mac if you do command shift three, it's gonna give you the full screen. Command shift four will give you a region and clipping tool. You can set up hot keys.
Speaker 2: Can you bind it to print screen so I just have to hit print screen and the can Because I have a problem my new computer.
Speaker 3: I don't like the way.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's a Windows update or if it's something with my hardware. But I used to be where I would hit print screen, it would open up Windows Snipping Tool and allow me to select what I wanted, and once I would take a screen shot, it would show up in the lower right corner and say, here's your most recent screenshot, and you know, i'd click on it and when I get edited. But now it won't do that. It just sends it straight to the gallery. It won't even let me. I have to open up another folder go find the image that I just took. Like it's so annoying.
Speaker 3: So at one point, at one point you clicked you at one point when you did a screenshot, you clicked on the notification menu and said, don't show me any more notifications from this. And that's the only way I know it's a It's a desktop notification. So if you have desktop notifications silence or turned off or not to be shown, that's what that's where it shows up. It's a snipping tool that the Windows Snipping tool. If you do Windows Shift s to do the snipping tool, Yeah, if you have the notifications turned off for it, it will not show it to you, and it'll just jump into the screenshots fold.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how do I change that? If that happens? How do I how do I get those notifications back?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So let's do a Windows shift S. I'm not sure I'd have to look at it, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't even in the there's probably a section in the control panel or where you could actually go into your sea.
Speaker 2: Notifications and actions if I just hit Windows and type of notifications and actions. Right, Okay, yeah, it looks like I have to just go yep, I see I can go out here and yeah, Windows snipping this particular computer I'm on right now, it's turned on, but other I bet you my other computer is probably turned off.
Speaker 3: It probably is. Yeah, you go, because I use that all the time for snipping stuff too, Like if I'm on a PC, if I don't have shirt like a work PC, I can install stuff. So it's like right, Windows shift S, dragon box, it goes to the screenshots filter. I use it all the time for updating my technical books and stuff with information.
Speaker 1: So we got to take a break. We come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sean to weird and I'm justin Lemmy. And remember Andy's password to his his Linux or his links. This is password one, two, three four. We'll be right back seven eight, Yeah, yeah, we'll.
Speaker 2: Be right back. Now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm will enjoy listening to your show. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, very informative.
Speaker 3: A rookie. Are you a rookie?
Speaker 1: I'm killing much a rookie. Welcome back to tech talk radio. Okay, I've got a we got a listener question in for uh for you guys.
Speaker 2: Actually, this is good.
Speaker 1: This is really focused at Justin and Sean. Hey, guys, love the show. I listened as much as I can. I find the humor in your show exhilarating and the knowledge is beyond me.
Speaker 2: I just think it's amazing. But now us, yeah, that's saying about you.
Speaker 1: Sure this is the right show, and it says it goes on to say so recently listen to your show and decided that I needed to upgrade my computer to a Windows eleven system. However, I'm at a quandary. Do I go Windows eleven Home or Windows eleven Pro? How can I determine which would be the best Andy in Green Valley.
Speaker 2: Well, that's actually a really really simple question. That's actually me asking you the question. That's you, that's you, that's the okay, Well, I mean, are you in an enterprise situation? Do you need to be on a domain, like an actual domain, log in credential or if this is just a simple home computer, there's your answer. It prow is for companies, pros for companies. All right, Yeah, if you're just running this on a home computer, just get Windows eleven Home. There's no reason to go pro, right, Sean, what do you think?
Speaker 3: So I've ran into this a little bit. I upgraded, so I got a couple of surp post computers work that I was able to put Windows eleven on. Bought Windows eleven Home. Okay, I like to have my computer's headless, meaning no monitors attached to them if I'm doing something for fun, like a server or a project. Right. So it's all went from Windows ten, set it all up, had it was running Windows ten, built it all. I was like I want it. We're on Windows eleven, so I upgraded it to Windows eleven Home. There is one glaring feature that does not exist in Windows eleven Home. What is that remote desktop?
Speaker 2: Oh? That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do not get remote desktop up with Windows eleven Home.
Speaker 2: You can't even install it as part of the administrative tool.
Speaker 3: You might be able to, but I was so peeved. I just paid for a Windows eleven prolysis because I was so mad. Because I was trying. I had to go get a monitor and to keyboard a mouse, walk my happy butt over to the computer across the room. Yeah, it's just a cross the room, but plug it in.
Speaker 2: Get such first world problems, right, But I have it set up.
Speaker 3: With I used RUSS desk, right, so remote desktopping into some things. But I was using remote desktop at the time and it just wasn't working. I was like, why isn't it working, couldn't figure it out, couln't figure it out, did a little bit of Google food figured out yep. Sorry, it was free with Windows ten, but with Windows eleven Home it just doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: The reason I asked that, And that's good. That's something to consider too. So I based on last week's show Justin and You were Out. We were talking about ed Bot's article on cd net talking about making that upgrade from Windows.
Speaker 2: Ten to Windows eleven, and you know, everybody's talking about it.
Speaker 1: Most people are saying you could do this, and they're pushing it towards the one drive, you know, letting it assume a one drive on your system, and then you know they'll let you do it for a year or paying. One figure was thirty dollars, and Sean went over the business figures, which is a bit higher, almost double that. So I thought, you know what he's meant talking about Rufus. I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot. The processor was one generation below what I needed, so I thought, you know, I'm going to give this Rufus a try. So put Rufus onto a flash drive. I cannot believe how easy it was. Downloaded Windows eleven Home because this is what I had on here was Windows ten Home.
Speaker 2: And installed it and it installed.
Speaker 1: Now I did the I did the full erase that didn't there was nothing on the system I really needed to keep. So I went ahead and let it rebooted, you know, re you know, reformatted the drives, did all of that. I'd do a couple of steps of that. Once I got it running and everything, I was like, wow, it actually is running. It evaded the two TPM two point zero didn't mind the processor not being and you have to select a couple of settings in there to make it happen. I do understand there is an install in place that you can do with rufus, which I may try again, because the reason is so once I got the Windows eleven Home installed, I had activation issues, and it was because I didn't have a license, I didn't pay for it.
Speaker 2: I was trying to do the upgrade, couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: After logging into Microsoft's website and going through just a whole bunch of stuff, finally the I got the activation and it's fine. But in the meantime I was a little frustrated, and I thought, well, why didn't I try Windows eleven Pro and just go that route? So I bought a license, a group group on license, and I went ahead, and I have a Windows eleven Pro license that I got for like twelve bucks. I'm just thinking, oh, should I go ahead and just blow it out and put pro on? Or really, at this point, it doesn't matter. It's working, it's installed.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's ain't broke, don't fix it. Yeah, Sean, wait how much.
Speaker 3: You want to fight it? I mean, yeah, you can get relatively and expensive keys out there now. Yeah, I won't tell you where to get them, but you can google it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I bought I bought mine legally from group on it like again, thirteen bucks for Windows eleven Pro, and I came with a license the whole bit.
Speaker 2: I just haven't installed it. Well, I mean, can't you. I think you can just upgrade to Windows eleven because Windows eleven Home and Windows eleven Pro literally are the same code. It's just Windows eleven Pro on it just bit locker, yeah, BitLocker, but it basically has all the features already built in. It's just they're disabled because you don't have the license to use it. So by just simply entering the key for Windows eleven Pro, it should just simply unlock the rest of those features.
Speaker 1: Right then I wouldn't have to do the whole brigamarole again, Yeah, you should know.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't have to write. So when I did mine, right, I went from ten to eleven Home and they just did the up there's an upgrade path you can just do to Windows eleven Pro.
Speaker 1: So right, well, if anybody, if anybody's going to do this, they should definitely do do the upgrade in place, right, I mean, but you like to reinstall everything, Sean, You've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: Call me crazy, but probably once every year or just a little bit more, I wipe my machine. I just get it fresh. Like everybody says, oh my gosh, why do you do that, it's so crazy. It's a bit like once a year probably, if not maybe a little bit longer than that.
Speaker 2: But I would love to have that kind of spare time. I will do it.
Speaker 3: I just back everything up, save things that I want, and it helps me get rid of junk that I don't want, programs I don't need, oh archive stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I have one machine shown I can't do that with because I have my Adobe CS five suite, which you cannot get reauthenticated. I'm afraid if I delete it and try it and to install Windows eleven and the program on the same machine, I'm going to be out of luck, you know. And I want to take one version, you know, at least have Adobe Edition on there. And it's uh, it's that's kind of a drag on that part. I've tried using you know, PC, you know what is it? Not PC anywhere PC mover tried using u z z install. Aning is what it is that that one done well.
Speaker 2: You also did a chronus right with true image. I mean that takes a whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that might back up, right, that might work. But here's part of the problem too. The boot sector on the Windows ten machine is different. It's not a GPT boot sector, it's NBR. So I think I run into problems with that. So I've tried to just popping.
Speaker 3: Oh, you definitely definitely will yeah, I I mean with a with one of our uh switch, our computers at work. I tried to upgrade to I tried to update to Windows eleven, and because it was the whole NBR GPT or whatever, it brecked the bios when I put in when I turned down secure boot on the on the motherboard, it saw that there was an NBR driving there and it went uh. Then I had Then I had to buy the clip and reflashed the firmware, and it was kind of scary because I thought it was going to be dead. We had to buy a new one, which is not cheap in my business. And thankfully, the the new firmware flashed in just fine and we're back up and running. But the whole secure boot thing can is Windows eleven Secureboot TPM two point zero. Really, it's kind of a thorn in the side for the consumers because it just starts to hicc up these little things that cause frustration, and when consumers get frustrated, they just out the window. Good money on a new one. So some of these are by design, some of them are are frustrating. But if you're a little bit tech savvy, you can get around some of these. But the average the average consumer is just gonna get so furious that they're probably just gonna say, wow, I just got to go buy a new one because this piece of crimes obsolete.
Speaker 1: Justin was mentioning something earlier Justin when we were just starting the show that you know, you don't go down into you know, your area very much anymore. You know, which is a desktop computer, great screen? You're on the laptop a lot. I have been listening to people saying that they're ditching their desktops with this move to Windows eleven and just getting a Windows eleven desktop and just going that way, just just ditching the desktop.
Speaker 2: Maybe you may get in a Windows eleven laptop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, getting a laptop, but ditching the Windows ten desktop or even you know, yeah, we're just getting rid of that. And that's actually not a bad idea really for many people because they're finding they're able to do this all most of the stuff that they need on a laptop now sometimes you know, twice the power of that previous desktop they had.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, as you get better battery life, I mean, that's what it's always come down to, right, it is, like everybody wanted to be portable. So when you had these honking Intel penny and four machines with twenty five minutes of battery life, it was not a benefit. Right, So now what people need and the performance increase and the power increases, especially with the newer Intel generations and the AMD where the AMD stuff is coming. And then on the Mac side with the M chips and the M four pro, like you're getting all this processing power out there that could run all these apps, the same apps you were beholden to a desktop four. Now you can edit on an iPad, you can edit on your MacBook, you can edit on a laptop with DaVinci Resolve, and it's in with it with good battery life. Right, So big portable in a lot of high high performance settings is appealing to a lot of people. And I think that Windows eleven has optimized it for battery life, and you're seeing a lot more long term solutions for productivity at a higher performance level.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not only it's not even just Windows eleven doing that. I mean, it's also the advancements in processing. Oh and the GPU.
Speaker 1: All right, we're got to take another quick break. We come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sean to Weird and I'm justin.
Speaker 2: Let me send us an X at tech talk Radio. We'll be right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: Hey, good by the science guy here. Whatever.
Speaker 2: I am listening to the radio, especially tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Adi and I talked a little bit last week about whether or not DJI had anything new from drones. Yeah, we literally said it's been been quite a quiet well in the last week they announced their new DGI Mini five Pro. So they have a new it's the newest of their fleet. It's the DGI Mini five Pro and the Mavick four Pro HU. So again, DGI is still in the business. Right, we know that there was all this legislation which still is kind of up in the air with everything else that's going on. And so the DGIF the Mini five pro is this is the way it has listed on their website. Twenty and forty nine point nine grams plus or minus four grams, meaning you may or may not be over the weight limit if you put an SD card in it or not.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're kidding.
Speaker 3: So the regular the regulatory stuff in the US is two hundred and fifty grams or less. You don't have to register it. Above hundred and fifty grams, you do, so that's zero point five to five pounds, right, So this is this is their way of skirting, very very slightly skirting the rules. Like here it is empty. It's like if you get a car that weighs two hundred pounds and you fill with gas, then you're over the limit kind of a thing, right, It's like if you put an SD card in it, you may or may not be over the weight limit. One inch one inch c MOSS sensor which can pull fifty megapixel stills, four K one twenty ten bit d LOG which is colored for cinema people's the colored grading, and fourteen stops the dynamic range three out you know your your typical three access gimble stuff. It's looks pretty cool. The Mavic four is running the new we talked about this last time because they announced it. They announced a different version of the Mavick with their new triple set triple camera Hustle Blood. So they're running the same triple Cara triple camera set up. So it's got the one hundred megapixel wide medium and a telephoto, and it's got the Infinity gimble which allows for three hundred and sixty degree rotation, so you can get three hundred and sixty degrees of view, which is pretty cool. The Mavic four Pro supports six K sixty, which is the first of its kind and a drone that I've seen, and it'll do HDRU This says fifty one minutes a flight time. I believe that when I see it, it's faster. You know it again. But DJA has is pushing pushing higher resolution on the pros, but offering flexibility and size on like the minis, right, So it's like you get flexibility with the minis, but if the pro versions you get ultra good feature six K you know that kind of stuff. The Mini five Pro base and again, it's really only available in one place in the US, and it's on Amazon. You can buy them in the UK, but in the US it's gonna be very difficult to get these because of the rules and the tariffs and the regulations and stuff happening right now. But in the UK you can get them for six nine pounds. That's a lot of money for the base, and it goes all the way up to with the fly More combo with the extra controller for somebody to fly and somebody control the camera. You're looking at about twelve hundred euro twelve hundred pounds and the Mavig four Pro with the fly Moore combo, which is like everything bundled. You get the controller, you get all the fan stuff. You're looking in almost four grand.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my gow.
Speaker 3: Well that's I mean, that's you got to think about it, right, that's including it's coming from China. You're paying a bunch of tariffs. If it's available, the deband is really high, so you're going to see these real ridiculus, ridiculous prices as people try and get him into the country.
Speaker 1: So right, right, well, yes, I just four thousand and spending that I you know, one thing I want to spend some money on is REELINGK cameras.
Speaker 2: We you talked about them.
Speaker 1: I think Matt talked about him and you talked about him justin that you know, you wanted to get them because the quality on them looks so good and you.
Speaker 2: Were able to experience something the other night though. That is absolutely crazy. But I had.
Speaker 1: The first thing out of my mouth was what camera do you have because my Nest does not look that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah, I have. I replaced all of our cameras with a real Link and we, you know, as you mentioned, Matt and I both did that, but we did not coordinate this upgrade. We kind of just did this on our own. But yeah, so I'm using real Link. I got rid of all the wise cams, and I got rid of the Nest doorbell cam and I went real Link. So yeah, I put I put a real Link doorbell cam on my front there. And last night I was just sitting around watching TV with my son as around eight pm and we had the front door open with the screen door, and I hear a loud bang. It kind of sounded like almost like a gunshot going off. I was like, well, what is that? I you know, walked out and I see across the street, I see our neighbor. Who is he's basically kind of like a car broker. He'll buy these high end exotic vehicles, not necessarily like Lamborghinis and Ferraris and things, but think of like, you know, Shelby Kobra Mustangs or accurate nsx is or a Nissan GTR. But so last night there was he he had just gotten this Nissan GTR and we're talking a one hundred thousand to one hundred and twenty thousand dollars car easily. Wow, and these cars are extremely fast, and it was a beaut and furious type car. Yeah, like yeah, in the original fast and Furious the car that he was racing, the one that's like silver and blue stripes, that was a GTR. But this is obviously a much more newer model of GTR. But anyway, it was getting loaded onto a car hauler. So he had hired a company to come out and take this car to the next buyer. So he found a buyer and it was loading up the car. Well, the person that was loading the car, and I didn't know this until I reviewed the actual footage, but as they were loading the car onto the car hauler. They left the driver's side door open while the car was running, and that's a key point here. The car was running. They left the driver's side door open while he went to go retrieve I don't know, cables or something, lock, chain locks or whatever. Somebody driving by on that same street they hit the driver's side door of this GTR, which obviously slammed the door shut, broke the window of the driver's side door because of the force, but because the car was running, the car registered it as an accident, and it fired off the air bags, which completely totals the car. Really, when an air bag goes off in a car, yes, they can be replaced, but the value of the car diminishes significantly because it'll always show in a car fact report that the airbags have deployed. So nobody's gonna want to buy a car that had previously had air bags door and in a car like that.
Speaker 3: Right, you've got side impact air bags, you've got side curtain air bags.
Speaker 2: You've got and that's what fired off. It was the side impact air bags and the side curtain air bags.
Speaker 3: So all these air bags went off, which is gonna be tens of thousands of dollars to replace, Yeah, even if it's worth replacing.
Speaker 2: So you view the footage what I mean. So, I, again, I didn't know what was going on when I walked out there with my son to kind of look at it. When I was stand on our front porch, there was the car hauler was I believe of Eastern European descent, and he was on the phone and he was just screaming in a different language into the phone, apparently maybe to his boss or somebody. Was just really really upset at the whole thing. And I'm like, well, I'm not going to go approach an angry Russian, so I'm just gonna go back inside now. But this morning I reviewed the footage and I had texted the owner. He wasn't even home, he was out camping, and I texted him like, Hey, is that your car out front there? And he's like, yeah, the green one. What's up? And I'm like uh oh, And he's like what what happened? And I told him, I said, well, the air bags deplay and somebody hit the car. And he's like what. And then I sent him the video. And because of the video that I was able to capture with the real link. It proved that the company that was hauling the vehicle was at least partially to blame because he left the door open on an active city street while while he was trying to load it. He should have shut the door, but obviously the person that hit the car should have stopped. They didn't. They kept on going, and unfortunately I was not able to capture a license plate. But I do have a feeling that it was somebody that lives in the neighborhood. And now the pretty much the whole neighborhood is on the lookout for this particular vehicle with the description that we gave in the video. So wow, hopefully that person will be found and held accountable too.
Speaker 1: There are people that will say, oh, you know, I don't need a camera, or my neighbors got one. I tell people, why not have that extra piece of security, And they're not that hard to install, right. The doorbell one is a wired one, so it uses the wire. This is electricity from the transformer that was provided to us, you know when the house was built. So I just had to wire in that the two wires it powers the camera. Yeah, it took me twenty minutes to put the doorball camera on. So yeah, no, they're they're not hard to install, right Sean, you have WISE around the perimeter of the house, right, Uh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Use Wise primary. I mean would I get more Wise? Maybe not? I mean I really don't need any newer other cameras. You really haven't done any mega. You have total inside and out running or total like total, Well, that's like let's say running one two So doorbell, front yard, garage, inside my garage, back, living room, backyard, backslider.
Speaker 2: Wow, I thought I had a lot a.
Speaker 3: Pant until upstairs in the window looking out over the neighbor's yard, right, well, looking outside that side of the house, right whatever, it's not looking over the neighbor's yard. So that's seven, I think, okay, plus plus the two plus the two outdoor ones that I can take with me when we travel, which are great. I have a version one in the version two. The version two is significantly better than the version one. But then I have a ton of the Wise light bulbs. Right, so all the light bulbs I have in here that are blue are all light white like in my my downstairs are all Wise bulbs, which I could change. Two in my living room two in my on my porch of the bulbs, so I've probably got about two dozen light bulbs total.
Speaker 2: Now, I do hope that you know, going back to my very first point in this in this show, you did change the default password to those those those bulbs and those cameras and things. Right, you have secured your network correctly. I have.
Speaker 3: They are all of my WISE devices are on their own vland. So if you if you really want to get into my WISE stuff, I mean, you either got to be a cloud hacker or you need to have physical access to my v land and get in that way. You're not getting on through my guest network. But yes, I have changed all the default stuff.
Speaker 1: And so everybody shows up at your house dressed as a cable repairman wants to check your system, you wouldn't let them in.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, not any any any service technician that comes in and touches the network or the Internet. I'm over their shoulders the whole time. I'm not good.
Speaker 2: You would not let Jim carry in your house dress Well maybe Jim, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Cable guy, but no, I mean I'm not I get a little nervous around. Most of them are just here to do their job. Right, they're not going to do anything nefarious. But all takes is one I to plug in the laptop into your network while he's plugging in your router and stuff and snoop some stuff and for USB.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean, I just I'm a little paranoid about that. So I haven't I haven't had anybody over.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you'd never know.
Speaker 1: All Right, you gotta take another quick break. We come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm sean to Weird.
Speaker 2: And I'm justin. Let me find us on the net at tech talk radio dot com. We'll be right back and now fact to tech talk Radio. Hey, it's Carol Parano and you listen to the geeks on the radio tech Talk Radio. A couple of days ago, I was looking at trying to figure out, uh, I use a radar Omega to try to gather up the current weather conditions around our area. And radar Omega does say that it does show lightning, but I was I could never get it to work properly. I was like, you know what, there's gotta be something better out there, and I looked it up and sure enough, there's a website and it's called lightningmaps dot org. It's a great website. It's really really cool. It's open source, it's free to use. It also is community driven, so it shows you kind of like real time where lightning is happening around the nation. Again, it's all community driven, so there's a lot of people that have like, I don't know, lightning sensors. I guess I don't know what you'd call it. But yeah, it's actually really cool and I love their their satellite imagery. It's it's so much better than Google Maps that feel like, I don't know what they use open street map, Open street Map. Yeah, it's just so much smoother, it seems, than like Google Maps. But yeah, this is a really cool website. It's again lightningmaps dot org.
Speaker 3: This would have been really nice to have this past weekend because we had a lightning delay during our football game. So we have to track for sports for us, we have to track within a ten mile radius. Right if lightning strikes within ten miles, we have to have people out of open areas. They were tracking it and it kept getting closer and closer closes right before halftime, we got delayed by an hour and forty five minutes or something so took but it was all because of lightning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of cool because then you have the say, you see the lightning in the distance, but you want to know how far is it away? By going to lightning maps, you could actually see, oh, it's you know, sixty miles away. But you know, quite the show, you.
Speaker 3: Don't you don't listen and then count, wait how long? One Mississippi, two, Mississippi. Okay, it's two and a half miles away.
Speaker 2: I saw Poltergeist, but I remember the count on that and what it was supposed to be. I was speaking of entertainment.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to, you know, I don't know if you heard the news justin you were a fan of Cyberpunk, you played it right, yeah, off and on?
Speaker 2: Yep. Keanu Reeves was in it, right, yep. You will be back apparently.
Speaker 1: I guess Johnny Silverhand they're saying that he absolutely wants to be in Cyberpunk two.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of problems of the game when it first launched, but they fixed a lot of them right they did.
Speaker 2: This is another classic story of a video game that was under development and or in development and it was under pressure from the published sure to release the game regardless if it was finished or not. I guess you know. The number one example of that would be No Man's Sky, which was absolutely horrible upon release, but the company that developed it said, no, we are not giving up on this, even though the publisher made us do it. We're gonna come out and they made it so much better and it's actually one of the best games of all time that I'm talking about. No Man Sky. So yes, uh Cyerpunk twenty seventy seven again, same kind of thing, released way too early, way too many bugs, but the developer said, we will fix this, we will make it better, and they have and they have made it much much better. All Right, that's it for this week's tech talk Radio. It's a great info.
Speaker 1: If you have a question, drop us a line tech guys at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 2: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm shod to Weird, and I'm justin Let me again find us on the web tech talk radio dot com. Have yourselves a great week. We'll see it