Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do it hour number two here on a Wednesday afternoon, Happy hump Day. It is coffee and company fuel Beth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, Nick Coffee, that's me. I hope you knew that. If not, now you do. Austin Montgomery alongside today, as we've had some fun and this is not where I intended to start the four o'clock hour, but but I think we have to. So Austin, I'm gonna be sending some sounds your way here in just a moment. But Doug Gottlieb, for those who don't know Doug Gottlieb, and I know everybody knows who Doug gotlib is, at least I think.
Speaker 3: That they do.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb is a former college basketball player turned analysts turned radio host to after playing ended up sometime after his basketball career and did he ended up working for ESPN and then left ESPN to go to Fox and he's been on Fox Sports Radio for quite some time now. I kind of feel like he's one of those guys that the majority of people don't really like. And uh, clearly there's a lot of people that make jokes about him getting caught stealing a wallet when he was in college, but like, he just seems to be kind of a guy that way more way more dislike him than like him. Like, I don't know many Doug Gottlieb fans out there, which I actually think is kind of you know, I get it, But he and Dan Dakis are two guys that I get why people don't like them. I think that's part of their like brand. They want people to not like them, but they you know, they really do a good job of attracting hate listeners, I suppose, but actually think both of them are really good at what they do. Dowgkitch is a basketball analyst despite being an a hole. It was like really good in analyzing the game, and I enjoyed that part of it, but he also couldn't help but be an a hole at times. Gottlieb is just kind of a I mean, can I say this, Like I know I can, and I'm not, like there's no way to say without it sounding like really mean, But like his kind of brand is like he's kind of a little bitch, you know what I'm saying, Like, am I making sense? There also a voice for it too, and that he's got that face right yeah, so you know he he is, you know, he's kind of ick. But nonetheless, he ended up over the season taking a head coaching job. He'd never been a coach before at any level, I don't think, and he ended up taking the job at Green Bay, which is a small D one school, and they're in the midst of a terrible stretch where they've lost, like you know, I mean, they're terrible, and he has the leading scorer in the country, but he's just not playing him for reasons nobody seems to know, like the guy's not in trouble, so it's it's kind of been a circus for Gottlieb. Well, today they played a Division two team and they lost, which again is another bad look for gott Leeb And it looks like, you know, as most people probably expected, this thing's not going to work out very well for him as a head coach. But the biggest thing to here that I completely forgot about is that he continues to do his radio show like he's still a full time afternoon drive Fox Sports radio host or I guess middays on the West coast from noon to three Pacific time. And you know, it's just unusual for a guy to be a Division one head basketball coach while still hosting a daily talk show where he has to talk about college basketball, among other things. But FSR allowed him to do it, and Green Bay allowed him to do it. And clearly, I don't know if his show is struggling or suffering, but he just lost to a D two team. He was expected to go on the air an hour later, and I don't think he's been there for his show, Like I think they may have a fill in in right now. And I'm not encouraging you to go look, because you know you need to stay here with us. But I'm gonna let you cause this is such a Gottlieb thing here. This is Gottlieb, and I just sent you the most recent video. I think I sent you the wrong one the first time, Austin, but this is Gottlieb before the game against this team, Michigan Tech, who he lost to you today again, but when previewing them, he referred to them as nobody you see if you can play that. I mean, I mean, maybe he's such a dork. I mean, maybe it's the recency of this and it being Gottlieb that has me saying what I'm about to say. That is one of the ultimate backfires I've ever heard from a coach. And he couldn't have thought that, like his team was in a good place to where he can take anybody lightly, let alone I mean a D two team, I know is a lower level, but that is such a Gottlieb thing to do and say and for it to work out the way that it did, because he always finds like he always seems to just be dorky and cocky and just smug and then like say something completely inaccurate and get dunked on or get called out by somebody. Like it's been a rough week for Doug gottlie Yeah, yeah, I mean, not only did this happen where he is struggling in a major way and calls a team coming in, you know, basically saying we shouldn't play this team because they're so beneath us, they're nobody you and then he loses. But earlier this week and again this is where it just like this is where you have to keep in mind when you decide to get in this world of being you know, a radio host and a coach, because again, like he's he's a ballplayer before he was an analyst, so like he's he's been involved in every side of it a player, coach, and you know, media member, but like doing both at the same time while coaching and being on the radio like that, I just don't know how I mean that's to me, it's it's been a disaster and it probably should have been something that they were aware could happen, where like this just isn't gonna work and when like things aren't going well, like having your coach out there every day to try to entertain people, Like it's just, I mean, it seemed avoidable. I don't really know what Gottley I mean, I got by Gottlib would do it. He's able to still keep his job, probably making a lot of money and then also coaching a basketball team probably making you know, not what you'd make it a big time program, but still that's a full time job making I would say, a pretty damn good salary. But if you're if you're a Green Bay maybe you just think Okay, what do we have to lose. We're green Bay. Let's give this guy a shot and see if it works out. If not, you know, we'll move on and we'll probably still be Green Bay. But this earlier in the week was wild because Adam Schefter reported that Sacramento State was in discussions to hire former Pro Bowl QB Mike Vick as its new head football coach. Per sources, That's the tweet I'm reading from Schefter. Then he goes on to say that Sacramento State plans to move up to FBS and is building a new stadium and has over fifty million dollars in ANIL raised at Sacramento State. Now, in the end, Sacramento State did not hire Mike Vick because Mike Vick ended up taking the job at Norfolk State. That actually got finalized, I believe yesterday. But that was a Schefter tweet from Monday. I believe. Well, Doug Gottlieb quote tweets it like he's trying to like clown Adam Schefter and says, Jesus shifty, Edit, what agent's telling you? Zero point zero percent chance Sack State has fifty million ANIL. Well, like you come at Schefty, you better make sure you're ready for the clap back. Yeah, your better, Yeah, you better be ready for Schefty to you know, reach into into the into his holster and pull out something to kind of, you know, in the conversation with with you know, them being the one Shifty getting the better end of it. So he responds to Doug gottlie by saying, the SAC twelve, leading the schools in IL efforts, already announced it has reached its initial goal of raising fifty milli nil funds to strengthen of the school's case for an invitation of the PAC twelve or Mountain West Conference. So he's saying the zero zero percent chance that had happened. Yet Schefter is saying, like, it's not something I'm hearing from an agent, dumbass. It's actually something they did and it's been acknowledged. But that wasn't where he took the gloves off. I mean, this is where Gottlieb gets shoved in a locker here by Schefty. And he responded to his own tweet Schefter, after initially stating that they did raise fifty million, and said, and Jesus dug again, that's a jab because Gottlieb started his tweet with Jesus shifty but anyway, Schefter says in Jesus dug a seven game losing streak and last place in the Horizon League, less time on social media and more time in the gym, yike, like you know from the top bro body bag to tag him. I mean, that's I mean. And then that was earlier this week, and then today loses to a D two team, which is bad enough in itself the result alone, and then to know that he called them nobody you yesterday in his press conference and if anything, maybe fsr knew this guy sucks as a coach, and if he loses games like this, there's gonna be more people wanting wanting to you know, hear him cry on his radio show about it. I mean, and it does give more visibility, I guess to the program. So maybe there's some truth to Hey, any attention is good attention. Both are getting more attention because of this circus. But again it's it's a circus, all right. Coffee and Company, We're a circus here on Sports Talk seven ninety and we're also fueled by Thornton's Nick Coffee. Alsta Montgomery with you, and we're gonna be joined coming up here in about fifteen minutes by doctor Larry Ben's of pro we have physical therapy. So we'll cut out to our break coming up here, I don't know, and uh, maybe five six minutes or so, And until then I'll reset with you guys sort of where we started. I did start out bitch about Fandel Sportsbook because of their process and trying to confirm that my account is on the up and up and not doing some fraudulent stuff. And if they don't have and a lot of people, by the way, have shared they've had, They've jumped around to two different sports books and back because they seem to continue to run into that and instead of just waiting it out and hassling, you just move on to a new one. And you know, like, so it's not just fandul, I'm sure, and I get why it has to be regulated. I talked about that when it comes to like you betting illegally, Like you can't let that happen. So if I'm in Kentucky where it's legal, and Austin's in Georgia where it's not, and he's like, hey, log into my DraftKings or FanDuel account in Kentucky and make a bet for me because you know, I'm not allowed to do it here and I got money in my account. Well, if they see that, that cause you got to have your location on anyway to make any better. So they see that that account is being logged into and accessed in completely different parts of the country within seconds of each other, they're going to flag that. But like, you should also have the ability to know that me logging into I mean, if you're tracking my location, like you're attracting my exact location. So when I log in to like if I log into my account in Tennessee where I was this weekend and it's a Sunday afternoon and then I drive across state lines into Kentucky and I log back in, that's not I mean, I guess that can be viewed as like suspicious, but like, if anything, you should just kick me out of my account and make me log back in again and verify something. Instead, they just locked me out completely. I can't get in, especially since it's a border state too.
Speaker 4: It's like right there, they make it act like it's impossible that one could just be in Kentucky and then Tennessee, not in the matter of ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Whenever, I like think about how much money these these sportsbooks are making. And I know that you know they've they've got I mean, it costs a lot of money to operate what they do. But I just feel like there's should be another option of other than just a bot. And because the bots don't actually do anything, they just okay, we've escalated it to a team member and they'll be with you in twenty four to seventy two hours. And you know that alone sucks, but whatever. Then I wait and then I get another response for them asking basically the same thing they ask for initially, And now I got to wait another three days. And it's not the end of the world. But like, if you can't confirm like that I'm on the up and up, I guess maybe you could make some kind of a claim that, like I bet illegally in another state, so like the money that I won, your claiming is yours now, Like I don't, I mean, that's not what happened, but I should be able to take out my money and leave. Like the fact that I just got money sitting there, which it's not an insane amount of money. But like, you know, trust me, whenever I if I do leave FanDuel for good, I'm gonna take the money with me and deposit it in that account. I mean, that's just that's what I'm gonna do. So it's just you know, first world problems, right. But if you're going to operate and be so in our face when it comes to sports betting the way that you are, like, maybe put a little bit more of your resources into cleaning this stuff up so people can actually utilize your product and have people on hand that can answer a phone call and I can verify, like they can ask me, you know, what size shoe I weary? You know, I'll verify whatever you need for you to know that I am who I am and I'm in the state that I'm in, and then we're good to go. But this long process just seems, you know, in my opinion, unacceptable. Now, didn't didn't one of these sports books claim that you, like you hustled them or something? Yeah, it was because you were telling me something about this the other day and like I'm thinking, like wait a second, like that doesn't it was they can't they can't take their money back.
Speaker 3: It was FanDuel because they tried to. I guess it was. I don't know what's going on with FanDuel here.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: This is something from apparently two years ago where they're calling me back. Now it's went to collections apparently, and I have a collections agency call it. I don't even know how you can owe of sportsbook money they apparently they say the fit can get on credit, right. Yeah, they said the funds weren't in my account. And because I guess it was probably too transaction, won the like fifty dollars and one of like forty dollars total of ninety dollars that they're saying that I owe them because I guess I guess I didn't use a card.
Speaker 2: I use it their money back.
Speaker 3: Who do they think they are?
Speaker 4: I guess I used my bank account, the linked bank account, and not like the card or something. But that I guess that they took it immediately.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that you can tie up. I've never been able to tie a bank account to one of these. I mean, I get why, I understand that you can, but in that so, they probably could they have take it, like did the bank did they take out money that wasn't there or something.
Speaker 4: I guess that's what they're claiming. I guess when you do it on the card, it's instantly and it'll instantly come off my card. But I guess with the bank account, they probably like trusted it and gave me the credits. Anyways, but that once again you said it earlier, that sounds like you problem. Yeah, so let me take that out there.
Speaker 2: You didn't have the resources to understand, like your your technology, your operation was not effective enough to understand that you gave this man money whenever. I guess you shouldn't have. Now, maybe it's just a mistake on their end, but like that's like, I mean, who was it that won? Was it Wes Welker who was the receiver for the for the Patriots that won a bunch of money at Churchill Downs on there, but you just started to hand in it out. Yeah, it was Wes Welker, And we later learned that he got overpaid by a substantial amount, which is why he was doing that. Churchill Downs acted like he owed them money and it became a public thing, like everybody laughing at Churchill Downs like no you that, I mean, that's your that's your fault like you there's I mean, I'm pretty sure there's nothing they can actually do. And again, if they let you wager with money that that was was credited to your account at their at their fault meaning their fault, like that's them. Yeah mean, And I guess when they went like they like, it can't be that much money.
Speaker 4: Right, No, And I guess when they went back and tried to credit the account probably like a few days later, I probably didn't have that money in the but like once again that you shouldn't have let me take that out in the first place. But they're not getting that back from me. Yeah, I mean, And you can collections at all they want, I mean, and I mean.
Speaker 2: I've had by the way, just see there are I would imagine and I could be wrong here, but collections, like I don't think this is something to do like they could. They can be hounding you to try to give money back and try to scare you, but I don't at least won't be on your credit because it wasn't something it wasn't something you financed like you didn't, yeah, like you didn't borrow money from them. They gave you money that they now have determined that like they shouldn't have. But either way, that's like they have no I mean again, I'm talking like I'm a lawyer and I'm not, and I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think they have any ability to make it to where like you go to collections and your credit score is ruined. Because again, this was a goof on their part, you know what I mean, like you didn't sign up, You didn't say, hey, give me ninety bucks to bet with and I'll pay you back and then just run, you know what I mean, Like, so they can go to hell. And which grade about this is that they are the only sports book at least that I know of that does not do any business with us at the station, which if they want you, you know, they know how we feel now maybe they can win us over. And so yeah, they throw me as there's opportunity for you to fix this if you want.
Speaker 3: Clear my name, but get my guy logged back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's certainly Their biggest competitor, of course is DraftKings, and they had DraftKings to my and that maybe this has changed, but at one point had exclusivity, meaning if we're you know, DraftKings is willing to be on the station knowing other competitors are also lightly involved in the station other than one, of course, their big competitor, which is which is fandal.
Speaker 4: So and DraftKings does have a better new bonus offer because they're giving you a match up to twenty five dollars to where fans FanDuel is just given giving you one hundred percent profit boost like get out of here to hell with your profit via.
Speaker 2: The I mean, I logged in yesterday ad DraftKings for the first time. I made that bet minus four Florida against Carolina, which came in. So I'm now just gonna ride with this until I get something figured out, go for it into one way or the other. But you know, I'm I'm somebody that's been more so lately doing bets that are not uh you know, that are not parlays, just doing straight bets. I do both.
Speaker 3: But what a responsible gambler I've got.
Speaker 2: I mean, right now, let me pull it up here. I just had it. I just had it on on on the app here. I am going again having to when I'm logging in on my computer and my phone at the same time. And maybe this is gonna trigger some kind of fraud and maybe get locked out of here too. But yeah, they've got a great promo going on right now where you can get plus let's see a college basketball parlay at DraftKings plus one oh five. Yeah, up to one hundred and five per I'm not plus one five, I'm sorry, up to boost your bet up to one hundred and five percent with a college basketball parlay. So you know, I got a three legger right here that I've put together and because of the boost that they're giving, you know, ten bucks pays eighty.
Speaker 3: He said you had three legs.
Speaker 2: I mean I do have three legs at the parlay here? Yes, yeah, yeah, I got three legs and Morey's and one of course, yeah that's a known thing. I thought that was a very very poor uh joke on my end. Sorry, you're gonna get you. I love it. You're gonna You're gonna get me. You're gonna get me there a few times. Let's go throughout our experience where you're gonna have me slip up and maybe be a little raunchier version of me, which hey, I don't I'm I just don't know if the listeners are ready for it, ready or not. I think it's I think it's gonna happen. Now, speaking of that, ready or not, Doctor Larry Bins, he's not raunchy, he's professional, he's great. He's gonna join us on the other side. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That's right, we are about halfway through a Wednesday edition of Coffee and Company. Fieldbeth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And now joining us is doctor Larry Bins from pro Reap physcal Therapy.
Speaker 3: H Larry.
Speaker 2: I'll start with a question about our beloved Teddy Bridgewater. What do you think of him deciding to get back in the NFL after just one season away, and in that season away he helped lead his alma mater to a to a state championship down there in Florida. I was not expecting this from Teddy, but you know, I hope it works out for him.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, it's it's fascinating. I read it in a couple of different ways. He is such an incredible citizen to folks from his hometown there at Northwest Miami. And what's interesting is he said that, you know, this might be just kind of coming to the season now, and then he's going to be back with his high school team in February. If I read that correctly, Yeah, So I don't usually Yeah, And so look, you know, he clearly looks great. He's had a year of recovery or most of the season of recovery. Quarterbacks are dropping like flies in the NFL. And he is a great culture guy. So he would be a welcome addition for any team that would need him. I don't get the impression that this is a long term and I get the impression that this is a bridge or in the pun to the next season. I mean, he won state championship in his first first as a head coach. That's pretty incredible to think about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you mentioned him being a good locker room guy. Your locker room, regardless if he takes a snap or not, would be better if he's evault, if he's a part of it, because he's just I mean he's been respected and loved, and we were early in that process, and obviously he became a fan favorite and a legend around here and just a really really likable, popular guy who led to some over to some great great moments. And then you go to the NFL and everywhere he went, and he went to a lot of places towards the end as he was coming off of that injury, and it seemed as if no matter where he was, he was mister popular and didn't surprise us, but also nice to see when he moved on he was still the same guy and I'm sure is still still that guy today. When people think of Teddy around here, they're going to think of the legendary career that he had in the great moments and in the NFL. I kind of feel like maybe folks would just remember the injury and how severe it was and thinking, well, there's no way this guy's ever going to play again, and you know, his recovery the process, and he did get back to playing and obviously never broke through his big time guy in the NFL, leading the league anything like that, but he got healthy, he got comfortable, and he was a really good filling for backup for Drew Brees during that special season. So I'm just curious, given you know, the rehab that he went through in such severe injury, it's got to be something that folks in your industry, you know, are well aware of and remember to think like that's that's a good sign of really what recovery and that whole process can do. We think these guys will never play again with severity of the injuries, and Teddy's a good example, but that's not always the case.
Speaker 5: No, that's exactly right. I think the other advantage he has with the NFL is they run schemes around the quarterback's ability much different than you know, if you're in a high school or college and you might be locked into a certain type of offense. The NFL has a better ability to adjust to, you know, the competencies and the strengths of their quarterback. And he's an incredible guy to have around the locker room. You know, played played for a decade, I guess played for a number of teams, so he brings together a perspective that not many people do. With have his reputation. I remember not too many years ago bumping into him at the at the Derby, and he was there glad handling and having a good time, and he said something to me that I'll never forget. He said, you know, I always live near where the workout places where I work. He says, I learned that from other folks. And he says, learned that no other temptation. That's why I'm in the office all the time. And so he's just an exemplary ambassador for the university. I mean, think of the think of the game that we beat Rutgers in where they had to carry them around. Think of the Sugar Bowl that you know, to me is one of the greatest games of u L history. And he's just an important part of our history.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Doctr Lorry Ben's a proia physical Therapies. Our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. When it comes to Pack Kelsey and the Louis of Cardinals, they've had a roller coaster of a season, given the injuries and some really big highs, especially when you were with them. Maybe you were the good luck charm, Larry. I know you had a good experience down there in the Bahamas, but man, some really good wins there and even a good game that you came up short against Oklahoma, but you also lost case In Pryor for the year. He later found out that Korin Johnson is also going to be sidelined for the remainder of the season. But one player, and I want to get back to those guys in a moment, But one player that is expecting to make a return is Kidder Triore, who is a transfer from Long Beach State. He's only played in just a couple of games. He's waiting on a fracture to heal and his arm. If he is, in fact, and I'm not sure if he is, but if he is getting closer to returning, maybe in the next couple of weeks or something like that, what would you say the process is like for him in that final couple of weeks, Meaning, you know, I'm sure he's still able to run and stay in shape, but obviously, you know, you got to let that bone heel. So I'm just I don't know how much basketball activity that he has going on as he's trying to get back, but there's no doubt they could certainly use him right now given how thin they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's a tremendous reboundary. He has this incredible knack, just a special gift. He's a great joy to be around. He's always smiling, he's very motivated, incredibly hardworking. He really is sort of the quintessential you know, Pet Kelsey guy. And you know he had effectively a risk for arm injury. Think of it that way. It's not a real complicated fracture that he had, but it does take mother nature, you know, six to eight weeks. Now. On top of that, you know, basketball is a contact sport, and so you have to bring him back slowly.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 5: I'm quite confident that his aerobic capacity will be fine. But then you get into the game simulation and the stops and the goes and rebounding and getting confidence. You know where his arm is hurting, that if he bumps it against something that it won't you know, refracture or reinjure or just have this sort of inhibition effect. That's a big thing we worry about when athletes return his inhibition, will they be vulnerable to another injury or be a little bit colactly better term cowardly in their attempt. I'm quite sure he will overcome that. He's not a young player you know, he comes with maturity, and boy, we need him and he will be a welcome edition back here. Larger points. I don't know that I've ever seen a basketball team this sort of bit with injuries that have, yeah, that have caused season you know, ending injuries so early in the season. You know, certainly, we had our big guy who never even you know, we red shirted him from day one, even though he played at the end of the season last year for BYU. And then we have you know, three or four injuries, you know, two of which are season ending, very very early on players that we were counting on a lot of productivity. I was in the Bahamas and watched Prior's injury and that was that was just so sad. But he's a tough kid. His dad was there and you could see that the family dynamics are just incredible. And I certainly am hopeful that his surgery has has gone well and that he's on the end and we'll be back next year as well, though it's much more complicated because of the extent of his knee injury, whether or not he truly truly comes back or wants to come back, given transfer portal and other kind of things that can happen, but I'm certainly hope, hopeful, and he is again another player that just fit in so well with the system.
Speaker 2: Now, when it comes to to Korin Johnson and him needing, I guess they ended up getting a second opinion and it led to them deciding to have surgery, which of course will keep him out for the season. But is that I mean is I guess it all depends, of course on the person the injury, and not everybody's the same. But would that be something that if Korin wanted to come back next season and play at Louisville or anywhere, I mean, that would tom frame be to where he would be ready to go at the beginning of the year, maybe middle of the year, even before that.
Speaker 5: Certainly his injury is a little more straightforward in terms of what needed to be done. That doesn't mean that the shoulder, you know, isn't a complicated joint that you know, might have might have issues in his rehab, But he certainly has expressed his desire to play next year, and given the type of surgery and everything that he had, the time frame you know, works out very very well. In fact, he should be able to be back well before the season starts, you know, again, you know, assuming there's not any other complications that can evolve. But generally it's a little more straightforward than a knee injury, where you have an ACL and some other complications there on a big guy. But there's certainly been plenty of acls that have come back too, So both are possible, but you know, one one's going to have more, you know, you know, more more of an algorithm around whether or not you can truly come back.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I hope that they get Treilray back soon and and you know, this team ends up having a successful year, which is certainly still in the mix. It's not something the record of the teams that have beat Louisville, two of them are undefeated, and I think there's a total of four losses among those teams. So they've played a really challenging schedule, and I think some of the performances they've had, even no short handed, would have been good enough to beat a lot of teams. Now we'll see once the schedule lightens up just a little bit. But I don't care if they have five guys. I don't want that to happen, but it could be anybody. I know that the group on the floor is not going to feel sorry for themselves. They're not going to be victims. They're going to play hard, they're going to have a good head about them, They're going to have good energy, and I think it's been a real bummer that we're in the position that we're in with the injuries. But it's also, I think been a really good, really good sign for Louisville fans to see that the guy leading them is probably the best guy for it when it comes to kind of navigating, because it's tough not to soult and feel sorry for yourself. They've had a you know, they've been snake bitten, as you mentioned, and yet they go out there seemingly every night and you never know that they've had some setbacks. I just love the energy about this team. I know you were pretty close with them during that trip, and I want them to win every game, but I'm gonna I'm gonna enjoy watching them regardless because I feel like they're going to continue to give it their all. And you know, it would be easy to kind of feel like, oh, this the season's kind of got away from us, but they don't they don't have that attitude at all.
Speaker 5: No, they don't. So and the fan dynamics have been great. We just had the greatest fans. You know, they play with intention, they play with purpose. They absolutely play no excuse basketball. And I harken back to many of the you know, public presents that coach Kelsey did, and you know, he repeated himself multiple times by saying, you know, we're not trying to have the best program. We're trying to have the program has the best culture, because culture will then lead to your best program, and so you achieve success sort of obliquely. And what he is trying to build here is something that can carry over from team to team. We don't have a lot of players that are young in the system, but we have a few and if they play hard and they see what's happening, you know, we're already seeing improvement, you know, at least from roots and other players. So it's it's something that we're excited about. And our fans really do you know, our fans are are definitely basketball you know, understanding fans, and they see what they're liking what they see.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and man, it's it's just a it's not surprising necessarily, but to see to know the fan base was so hungry and to see just how much. And maybe I'm giving us a little too much credit as fans, but I think despite some of the losses thus far, Man, these fans are energized by this guy who's coaching this team. And and uh, you know, their reflection of Pat Kelsey. And that's a good thing. And it and it may sound corny to some whenever you hear the pitch presentation and those kind of things, but man, it's true. I mean, you have a good culture that's gonna doesn't mean you're gonna win every game, but it's the best. It's the best recipe to have a good program that does have success. And and and you know that that's that's something that's infectious. People want to be a part of it. Rather it be recruits guys in the transfer portal coaches that may want to come in and join the staff. So good stuff, no doubt. Speaking of good stuff. Louisville Volleyball, they're in the final four. Uh, they've got yeah. I told my friend Jessica. She asked me because her daughter's getting into volleyball and she enjoys our conversation that we have UH here on the show, and she wanted me to ask what are the most common injuries if there is one. Maybe there's not just one for UH girl women's volleyball players, maybe high school, I'm sure, maybe it differs upon you know, upon age and whatnot, But what are the most common injuries that you guys treat and hear about from those that play volleyball.
Speaker 5: Definitely, that's won't surprise you. You know, upper extremity for sure, you know, overhead, especially in the taller frontline players. At the same time, you can see the jumping that happens, and my goodness, this team is so athletic. It is so much fun to watch and they get high off the ground and so anytime you have that, you have you know, potential knee and ankle injuries as well. Not too many years ago, I was brought in to treat one of the volleyball players with dry needling on their abdominal muscles. She had abdominal strains and pulls. So we see all types there. Yeah, yeah, so you see some abdominal strains as well. We've had a healthy year, though, you know, she's had some bad luck in the past with some of the injuries, but it's been a good year relative to that from what I can tell. And you know, again it goes to the culture. I mean, look at the goodness. You know, third final four.
Speaker 3: You know you're playing a team.
Speaker 5: All four number one seeds are in the final four. How often does that happen in any sport? And the competitiveness of these games are just fun to watch. You know, we played really close at Pitt, you know, going all five sets, and then they beat us a little more solidly at home. But it's going to be It's tough to be anything any team in any sport three times or one year, and man, these girls are fired up. And look how well they played last weekend. It's just incredible to watch.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the numbers back this up, but I feel like women's college volleyball has has exploded and been one of the more popular fast rising sports that the you know the end that college athletics has sort of as a television product, And I can tell you firsthand, I usually just stick with the sports that really interest me, and that's basketball and football. But there's nothing that I end up finding on television. Mostly when UFL plays because that's what's going to interest me. But man, it is such an entertaining product on team, the game itself, it's it's fast paced. You don't really have to understand a ton about the sport as far as rules to underst mean, it's pretty easy to pick up. Like I wouldn't be shocked if this thing continues over the next few years to grow to where it's become one of the more uh tell what, it gets more viewership than most of the NCAA sports outside of football and basketball.
Speaker 5: Now, it's a good point. And if you notice the you know they they have the finals on Thursday and Sunday this year, so this is not only a big, big weekend for volleyball, it's a big weekend for the city at Louisville. That'll be showcased in here. And if the proxy of texting you and get asking for where do I get tickets as any kind of measure, I've got more requests or more as for the last week than for any other sport. It is tremendous UH sport to view. You don't even have to know who's playing to enjoy watching women's volleyball. And I appreciate their athleticism, you know, as well as the competitive instincts around it. It's it's and I tell you, Freedom Haul was a magic place to watch this last weekend. Just the memories of being in there and lining up saw lines a mile long for the ice cream. The only thing is missing was no smell of the roasted peanuts week you used to have in the old days for the copy or the copy machines printing out the stats from the first half. Outside of that, it was the old Freedom Hall. I don't think anything's changed since we beat Syracuse for that final game, and that is that.
Speaker 2: Is nostalgia right there. And seeing I mean, there's like a it's like a theater type feel when you watch it on you know. I haven't been to Freedom Halls. I went to the TVT games. But watching an event on live television and Freedom Hall minute it just reminded me of sort of that theater feel that you would have in Freedom Hall. And seeing that that that older version of the cardinal right there on the logo, which it's still used pretty regularly, but man, it was it was awesome to see. You're right, a big weekend for for Louisville not only the cards in this volleyball program, but just you know, to show off that we do support some big time sports around here. But Larry has always really appreciate your time. And if I don't talk to you before Christmas, I hope you have a very merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: And again go cards, Thank you, have a happy holiday, and go cars big sports this weekend.
Speaker 2: No doubt that's doctor Larry. Ben's a proa physical therapy, always a good conversation and good stuff. We got to get to a break though. We'll come back for a quick segment to wrap up the four o'clock hour and then obviously take you up till six o'clock. A whole lot more to get into. So don't go anywhere, why would you go anywhere, Stay put, don't move, keep your lock right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety you're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Good stuff here. We only have like two minutes in this segment probably, I mean we could go a little bit longer. I want to try to keep this on track as best I can. So we finished strong in the in the five o'clock hour. But let's see here and This is where I at times end up thinking, Okay, I got I got plenty that I want to get into, but you know I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to just give it two minutes because you know we're we're short on times. So what I can do in that moment is to just go to the text line. FABO two six five three zero seven nineties the number if you guys would like to text in. It's the Element Federal Credit Union tech Line members get more at L and N Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LENFCU dot com. Nick, I would love to know who is in charge of scheduling for our revenue sports. A month without a home football game and two huge gaps without games in November and December for basketball doesn't make any sense when it comes to engagement from fans, and it can't be good for the team to be away from home or have that many days without games. I will say this, I don't know in any way, like I don't think anybody did anything wrong or anybody's at fault when it comes to the football side. Because Louisville they went, let's see what was it? What were the dates because that that just felt weird, like they had two games that didn't feel real when they started the season at home because of who they were against. And part of that is because Indiana backed out. But then you played Georgia Tech, then you went to Notre Dame, then you had SMU I think it was, and after that Virginia in Miami. But after Miami, you played Miami at home on October nineteenth, and then your next home game was over a month later on November twenty third. Like that that that's if anybody's just the ACC's fault. Like I was gonna say, you know, we could blame it on like the schedule, you know, like the Indiana thing having to shove shuffle some things around, but no, like Louisville, they're they're playing all of their their conference games, you know, once they get to a certain point, and that was whenever they had so the month that you had without a game at home, it was all playing on the road against ACC teams. Maybe Stanford being in the league kind of the last minute did something, But yeah, that's I mean, if anybody's fault, it's the ACC. And that did suck. It just made it feel like I kind of feel like the football season never really got rolling in any way. Now you had shot, you had fewer home games than you typically did, but just because of the schedule how it's set up, like it just kind of felt like, you know, kind of a down year. Now again, it also sucked losing at home twice to Miami into uh SMU, But I mean, even if you would have won, it would have just felt weird as far as just the consistency of getting back at least every couple of weeks or every few weeks. You went over a month without playing at home. Now in basketball, it's really not that uncommon. Like, for example, I felt like Louisville having the ten day break, which really sucked. To lose to Tennessee like that and be so high for the game and then get humbled and have to sit in it for ten days, like that was an ideal. I don't know who how like that. I don't know who was responsible for that, but I doubt somebody wanted to like have that big of a gap between games, but it's just how it worked out. And then now they've got another week off, so they and I think they do they have Is it too straight? Yeah? I mean, let me pull it up here just to make sure I'm I'm not crazy, because they've got a week off between Kentucky and of course Florida State coming up on Saturday, and then yeah, it's another week off, and again the holiday's a factory there. I mean, it's Christmas week, so they're not gonna play during Christmas Week. So their next game after Florida State will be at home against EKU and then after that you play a few days later against Carolina on New Year's Day, and then you're just rolling the rest of the way with you know, games prey you know, at least twice a week, so you know, the ten day one was weird. The week off during the holidays is probably not that unusual. I'm looking at Kentucky schedule just for reference here, and they also have a week off between. In fact, they have a week off between the Louisville and Ohio State game and then they have ten days off to where they don't play. After they play Ohio State, they don't play again until the thirty first against Brown. So technically both teams had a very similar gaps, there were just a different times. So I don't know if that's normal or not. But I know as a fan, I'm with you. I don't really like it. But what are you gonna do? We got another hour? Hopefully you stick around.
Speaker 3: That's what you do.
Speaker 2: Why would you go anywhere? It's the five o'clock hour. It's next right here, Coffee and Company. Philbouth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety