Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Breaking News with me Jeff Grub, your host from GiantBomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in on this episode, we're gonna be talking about Nintendo actually announcing a new Direct just six days before the switch to Direct. We have Lucy James on the program, so you know it's gonna be a good one. Let's get right into it by saying hello to said Lucy James games. How's it going?
Speaker 2: I E it is going well. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I just want to give a shout out to past Lucy James because she really.
Speaker 2: Really helped out present Lucy James when she was setting up her office yesterday.
Speaker 1: Good job. Yeah, that's a that's a bit a big one. I always count on past and present Lucy James. I'm glad that you can also count on past Lucy James.
Speaker 2: She labeled every single wire every.
Speaker 1: Okay, one okay, So I didn't know we were getting that serious.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then this is the first time I've had a camera like directly above my screen since maybe twenty twenty, and it feels weird that I'm not like looking off to the side.
Speaker 2: But we will. We'll get there.
Speaker 1: Looks good. What's the plans for, you know, decorating, getting everything set up in there. You know, to be fair, you know that you don't. It's not like there's an echo in there or anything.
Speaker 2: So oh I'm using. I'm using in video broadcasts.
Speaker 1: That's why. Is that helping listen? It is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just updated it and it is very good. Green Wayne Scotting cream top.
Speaker 3: Nice comfortable chair is going in that corner, and at some point the next couple of days, I'm going to be putting my junk on these shelves. Shout out to the miller's forgiving me that junk.
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh fantastic you were painting right. This is a fresh paint job, it is. It looks great, so thank you.
Speaker 3: The one problem is is that it was I painted this like a salmon pink, which you know, there was a vision and I'm totally fine in saying that the vision didn't work. But I've just kind of gone back to an ice cream. Someone's telling me to turn on the Nvidia blank no blank mode.
Speaker 2: Shall I do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm listening. I'll look away, but chat can't. So yeah, that's finely me.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I have to change it in here.
Speaker 1: That's always a good thing to do to yourself as a lady on the internet is give yourself crazy eyes. I think that's what people like.
Speaker 2: So it just it just it just flat out breaks everything.
Speaker 1: It did just break everything.
Speaker 2: It just breaks everything.
Speaker 3: So I guess with the thirty ninety and so all.
Speaker 1: Right, well you know what, We'll try the no blink next time. Everybody, all right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Grub willhelp pece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game breaking news, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. I know we're working on that, everybody, new workflow. Okay, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess.
Speaker 2: You didn't say it, you didn't say it, you didn't say it.
Speaker 1: Hello YouTube, Thank you man. That I do people do get mad if I forget to say it, so it's.
Speaker 2: Never you didn't say it.
Speaker 1: It's never been written down. I just you know, it just happens, so yeah, or if it is written out, it's not on this Wednesday, doc anyhow, give different docks reach day of the week. Everybody a little.
Speaker 2: But that's how that's how we do things.
Speaker 1: That's all we do things over here. That's called efficiency. I don't think it is all right. Let's get into some headlines. Lucy James tomorrow. It's been confirmed and Nintendo announced it. It's not they're not really holding back in terms of like setting expectation expectations even I suppose they can do that because they do have switched to Direct coming next week. But a Nintendo Direct is happening tomorrow. The Kennis Shepherd headline over at Kotaka reads sounds like it could be the switch's last hurrah. Don't know why it wouldn't be. I think the numbers on this it'll be. It'll start at seven am Pacific time, ten am Eastern. We will find somewhere seven am Pacific time is like man just one hour later, and that's like actually kind of reasonable. Seven am is not their.
Speaker 2: American offices in Seattle. I'm sure they love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder if they ever like try to like get them to moving around, and that's like, now you're American. We don't care. So thirty minutes is the time we've been given. And of course they did say that there wouldn't be any Switch to stuff here, so that is as far as like the setting expectations, that's the one thing they have done. Beyond that, Nintendo doesn't go into any specifics about what games we might be seeing during the showcase. Usually the company says if a stream will be made up of third party partner games rather than its own in house projects, but it makes no such distinction here. So we may see some of Nintendo's last big Switch games before we move on to Switch too. As far as we know, Nintendo is winding down first party games for the Switch, but some big games like Metroid Prime for Beyond and Pokemon Legends ZA are still coming to the console this year, So okay. There's been some other like developments recently Lucy that have like definitely thrown a little bit of muck in our understanding what might be happening in which direct there was a report a week or so ago that said there would be this big Metroid Prime four blowout, it would take up a lot of the spotlight in the Switch To Direct. On April second, now we're hearing that from someone else that Metroid Prime four won't be in the switch to Direct at all. So I'm thinking you told me, if this sounds right to you, that maybe there were some cross wires there, and METROI Prime four is going to be a big thing in this direct, and then maybe it gets a mention or something, or Nintendo refers to this. Director says all those games that are for Switch one, yeah, they'll run great on Switch too, and that's it. But METROI Prime four is probably in this one, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope it's in this one, just because yes, all eyes will be on the Switch too thing. But if you're talking about giving Metroid like a chance to have its flowers, you know, and also just like be the star of its own it's own direct that a lot of people are going to be watching without having to compete with all the Switch To stuff. And then you get the good news a week later that hey, it is going to be able to come in the it will be playable in the Switch Too.
Speaker 2: I think that's great. Switch has an incredibly large install base, and hey.
Speaker 3: If Metroid is coming, you gets to play it on either console hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think they definitely have talked about it as a Switch one game up, you know, until the very last minute their last earnings call, they made a big deal about it being Switch one. It is a Switch one game. I think the question up until this point has been, Okay, does it become a cross generational launch, like similar to the last couple or a handful of the last couple of a couple of Zelda games. Yes, Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess, those came out the end of one generation, launched on both essentially as dual skews. Is that going to happen here or is this going to be as you know, I theorized on I think this show, or maybe it was a BombCast somewhere that maybe this becomes the poster child for here's how a Switch one game is going to be improved on switch to. That could still happen, although you know, if it's if they're not going to talk about it in the switch To direct and they're not going to mention switch To. Here are they going to make a big deal out of that. I kind of don't see why they wouldn't they did? You know, they want you to go into the store by a switch To, especially if you're someone who's elapsed as a switch gamer, because you're you know, there's a lot of people out there who enjoyed the switch, but they're not like me where they're like, oh, Nintendo, I just like Nintendo. They're like, oh, I liked some of those games. I like the Switch when it felt fresh and new. It's felt old for a hell a long time now. I kind of want to be excited about something new. So I have not bought a lot of switch games recently. So I'm gonna go in the store. I'm gonna get the switch To. I'm gonna get the new Mario Kart because everyone's just gonna get that. It's the law. And then what else do I want to get there? Well, Metroid Prime two or Metro Prime four beyond is just waiting for you on the shelf, and I think anything that you can tell yourself about, oh, well, this will take advantage of you know, up the upscaling technology on the switch to and it runs at a higher, more steady frame rate. Although I expect this game to run just fine on Switch one, anything you could say to yourself, bless you, Jan is going to help I think so. I don't know if Chat can hear him. Actually so, I might just sound like a crazy person. But anything you can tell yourself when you're going to buy these games, especially for like a cross gen you know, a game like this or last Gen game, I should say, we don't know if it's cross Gen, is going to help it. So I'm still very curious about how they position this thing, although in this moment it does seem like they're gonna be like Metro Prime four rules on its own merits and you should just go get it because it's going to be a good game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, hey, look, I'm just excited from one Nintendo stuff. At this point, my switch has been gathering dust for do you know the last game I think I played on my switch.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm curious.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, right dead Redemption.
Speaker 1: Well that's fucking weird. That's that's whole that was. I would not have guessed that I would know, right, Yeah, but I guess that. I mean, that was interesting to see that on the switch although that was when We're Great. Yeah, no, I mean it should should better run. Great's you know an older game. It's an Xbox three sixty games.
Speaker 2: It is three sixty. It was May game.
Speaker 1: Yeah you should.
Speaker 2: Why is why I bought my Xbox three sixty It was red down.
Speaker 1: I uh. In terms of what else people might be able to expect from this Nintendo direct, I you know.
Speaker 2: So give people, give people a crumb gone.
Speaker 1: Have Everybody still thinks that, And I'm you know, if if not here, you know where else, I guess it could be in the switch to one. It could be, it could be anywhere. I think there's no reason to assume like this one makes more sense than anything else. So if you want to be skeptical, sure go ahead. And at the same time, it's like this feels like all the eyes will be on Nintendo for these next two directs. So if you are a game that is coming out soonish, and that game, you know, there's been a lot of like movement on that game recently, tiny little movement, but you know there's a lot of it. It's voluminous. It's like, Okay, if that game is ready to go, what showcase of what like, if you could choose any showcase to be in, the Nintendo Direct just is the biggest one because you can get excitement from and I've said this before, from PlayStation and Xbox or a PlayStation, yeah, an Xbox, m PC gamers sort of just by getting out there in the news cycle and making your announcement. Nintendo gamer is a little bit more siloed off to the side and don't pay as much attention. If you can get into a direct, you'll get their attention immediately, and then that also gets everyone else's attention. So it's the place. It's the place to be. So I get that, but I don't know. I wouldn't want to get people's hopes up anymore. That game's not real. I think that's where we've settled on it.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't want to pick it the fan secretic. I don't think they did.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they've maybe at this point maybe you know, If they haven't, I'll go pick it real quick. Other than that, you know, there's a fire Emblem game that Nintendo. It's a remake. I think of Genealogy of the Holy War, which is a Super Nintendo game. Uh that was a Japan only Japan only. It's never been localized for the for the West at all. And so it's like, Okay, that's been finished for going on like two years now. It's been a long time. It's just been sitting there. So, uh, does it pop off here or is yeah, I don't know how Nintendo thinks about these sorts of things, like does it make more sense to announce it now and launch it and risk it kind of getting lost in the shuffle of people getting more excited about things that are switched to exclusive or do you save it and be like, uh, that is going to be for switch to instead? That fire on fire emblem game certainly probably doesn't need switch to. So and then you know, there has been rumors of a new Mario sports game, this time baseball. Uh, there is a you know they had that story Nintendo switch to logos are going to be on the shoulder of Seattle Mariners players for this uh baseball season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the did you see the New York like there was a big switch to thing in New York.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't say, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I opened up Blue Skirt and I didn't save it.
Speaker 1: This is like a like a big sign. Okay, and times square.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: But you know, we're right there for that direct. So the advertising kicking in feels right and all, okay, all the rumors right now, and you know it sounds right to me. June is kind of when this thing is probably coming, uh at this point. That's what everyone is saying, and I tend to agree. And so that they as soon as we get out of this direct, the marketing campaign will be in full effect, because it'll be the beginning of April and let's say like this goes all the way through the end of June. They want it to give themselves a little a little bit of time. That's you know, two full months.
Speaker 2: And me head down to Union Square. Yeah yeah, Union Square.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 3: Get that that new Nintendo store that I still cannot believe is happening in some Francis Yeah, all the places San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's I'm excited for you all. That's I'm gonna definitely visit that Nintendo story.
Speaker 2: I'm to become so popular. Yes, for the for the all of the exclusive stuff. I've already had Jordan Midler already had him.
Speaker 1: But are they even gonna have a lot of Pokemon stuff there?
Speaker 3: No, but they'll have they have exclusive stuff for the store in general. Okay, Like the Pokemon store in Shibuyah was oh my god, like everything was sold out like.
Speaker 2: An opening, Like it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So it's it's going to be the same for that store. But hey, we better to have a store than no store at all.
Speaker 2: Those things saved downtown Town Francisco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they that they do a good job just like making those places of fun place to go and visit. Any like other games, I'm like they gonna like they could show up here.
Speaker 2: We think in like third party.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll say, God, I wonder how I can phrase this. The reason I heard about it direct originally is because of a partner game. And I think that when we get out of this direct if no matter like what is the most exciting game, there will be one game that causes the most conversation and it won't be about Nintendo necessarily. That's all I can say. I'm sorry for teasing it, but that like I know, I'll tell you when we're done here, Yeah, I'll tell you. But yeah, it's because you know this, it's happening tomorrow, So it all goes down the way I think we'll see all right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Go ahead it No, No, I don't want I don't want to play the guests and game almost Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's ever fun for old Jeffy. Yeah. See if I'm looking at chatting now to see if anyone has any other guesses for what they want to see, I don't. I don't know, Like, is there any other franchise like I wouldn't be surprised if like a weird franchise from Nintendo comes back, like an Excite Bike or I don't know, something along those lines. We could see something like that, but they're not gonna have it would have to be a lot of these games that have just kind of been cooking for a long time. Anything that was in development in the last two years almost certainly was getting ready for the Switch two, and at one point they were gonna be really, we're gonna do a Switch pro. So they probably were making a lot of games with that thing in mind, and maybe they were holding onto some of these because of that. So we'll see looking forward to it, though, we will talk over it one way or another. Everybody, Oh, thank you, Mike Manati. Metroid Prime two, Yes, Metroid Prime two and three, those remasters are also done in a similar way to Fire Emblem, so they're not as big of a remaster as Metroid Prime one was, but still that would be very cool to get those games with dual analog stick controls on Switch one. They should run really good on that system, So I'm hoping we get at least two, but boy, I wouldn't be surprised if they just say, hey, here's two, and then a week later you can get three or something like that, or just maybe drop them as a bundle all in one go. And then of course everyone always wonders about Zelda, Twilight Princess and win Waker HD been ONU. Do they have anything else Zelda announced for this year? They always want to do one Zelda thing per year, and I don't think so. They had the Zelda Game, the Zelda Zelda Game last year, and so I don't think they have anything announced for this year. If they have a gap, that thing could pop off, but I don't know at this point they have a gap. Yep, they have not had a gap so far, so I don't know. We'll see, Okay, let's keep going here. Game Informer returns after being shut down by Game Stop. This is from Sophie McAvoy at games industry dot biz. Game Informer has returned after being shut down by GameStop in August twenty twenty four. We wanted to talk about this on the BombCast just yesterday everybody, but they just took a little bit longer to get the official announcement out there and actually launched the website. The website's been getting a lot of attention. I've been trying to register. I can't even register because it's, uh, it's getting so much traffic. In a letter from editor in chief Matt Miller, he review that the publication had been purchased by Gunzilla Games, which is, you know, their Web three company. But we've talked to some of the Game Informer people and they've said we're independent, Like they're not gonna you know, you know, of course they say this, but I believe it so far. It could always change, but I believe that they're gonna be independent. And the good news is like everyone working there got a pretty good pay raise and the back they all are all rehired. It is such an overall a feel good story, and we'll talk about I got another story right after this about game stops plans, you know, sure, like we don't have to do a competition for you know what's like less evil. But it's not like they were completely free from interference before in terms of like working for a terrible company. But Gunzilla, I really don't didn't know much about them other than people saying they're you know, it's so kind of a Russian Web three company. But they're given money to Game Informer to get back up and running. And I think in the end, the magazine it's just gonna be its own business that will have to justify itself. And it sounds like they also have a couple of years to build up that business, so it's not like they have to like begin churning out a profit immediately and if they don't, they're all screwed again. So having some runway, having their jobs, getting a raise, that's a bunch of green lights to me. And I'm just happy for everybody over there. I can't wait to subscribe to the magazine again.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: And like a massive thing just fell over and there was a bunch of paint on it, so.
Speaker 1: Rif risky paint, yes, paint shouldn't fall That's my opinion on paint as far as you know Game Informer coming back, I do think that we probably we will probably get the magazine here in the next couple of months. It's gonna I can't imagine what it's like to be like, all right, we're taking over printing this magazine all entirely ourselves. So like, what is the actual process of making that happen? Although I beg they do have a lot of experts on that team that have done that for a long time, so if anyone can figure it out, it's them. But boy, I would not want to be in the business of having They're like, okay, let's release and ship a print magazine around the United States all by ourselves right now. I guess they and they might even ship around the world. So it's a big undertaking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, hey, I'm very happy for everyone that they're back. Yeah, like talking to Alex tomorrow kind of understanding more about what they're what they call their mission is.
Speaker 2: It's just I yeah, the company does give me.
Speaker 3: Pause, but I think it's just because been burned by so many private companies.
Speaker 1: Like yes, you know, I mean to be fair, though they're not private equity. It is just like it's a business a different kind of business, not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's the thing them being separate. It just means that, hey, if web three, if bitcoin, if that all implodes, I just like I want gave informa to be separate it and you know, not be impacted by the whims of that exactly.
Speaker 1: You know. But they were previously under a company called game Stop, who closed them down us US. Not game Spot. They were under game Stop, which plans announced yesterday I had its earnings call, announced plans to buy a bunch of bitcoin as it closes even more stores. So it's not like it was all roses over in the other place beforehand. It was you know, this is also web three bullshit. Now that's the plan for game Stop. This is from Ethan gotcha Kutaku. Game Stop might be dying, but thanks to its unprecedented good fortunes as a meme stock, it's still as a whopping four billion dollars in cash reserves. The video game retail chain announced this week it now plan has a plan for what to do with it, plow it into bitcoin. Game Stop today announced that it's its board has unanimously approved an update to its investment policy to add bitcoin as a Treasury reserve asset. The company wrote in a press release published on March twenty fifth, we have not set a maximum amount of bitcoin we may accumulate, accumulate and may sell any bitcoin we may acquire, it added in a subsequent SEC filing. Cryptocurrency is currently trading at eighty seven thousand dollars, just off its historic one hundred and five thousand dollars peak set back in January. Yeah, so this is just then being like, we're going to become the Berkshire halfaway of you know, not NFTs, but of cryptocurrency. So they're going to kind of become a holding company. And you know, they do say like the retail business, you know, making the retail business profitable is the other part of the strategy. But they did number it and the number one part of their strategy is this cryptocurrency stuff, and then number two was the retail stores and like, yeah, like the retail stores are dying and they will continue to die, but that like this is going to be this business is going to transform into something unrecognizable and kind of the kind of sounds like a nightmare to me. You know, this is a company now run by Ryan Cohen, who is also a nightmare. Dude sucks. I don't know if everyone's anyone's ever seen his tweets, but he's a sniveling little weirdo, and he's you know, kind of kind of trying to turn this into yeah, the pip Kids Berkshire Hathaway, which is a weird thing. It probably won't work, but at the same time, Bitcoin is just only ever bounced back when it's you know, gone down, so it probably will make them a lot of money. I don't know, but you think we have game stops? Okay, Actually here's a good one. Dan posted this on Blue Sky. He mentioned this before and I talked to him. What do you think lasts longer at this point, GameStop, RETEP retail stores, or Game Informer, this new magazine.
Speaker 2: Game inform of the new magazine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean game stop. It just seems that they've been trying to get out for so so long. Oh yeah, I just don't see them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean they're closing stores really fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: There's like a couple left in San Francisco, which I'm still amazed by. In the Bay Area because got the cost of rent and everything.
Speaker 2: But everyone one's going digital. Everyone's going digital. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to go get a haircut a few weeks back.
Speaker 2: And at your local game stop.
Speaker 1: Well basically it's the only time I walk into a game stop because it's right next to the great clips that I go too. I think everyone could tell by my haircut. And I, uh this time, and it was closed. I you know, I had no idea it was closing. It just disappeared and.
Speaker 2: Just went one day.
Speaker 1: It just went one day. Yeah, and it's I don't know where the next nearest one even is. I know some like local mom and pop shops and sort of these regional chains that are trade end stores that do a lot of retro games. We got a handful of those, but I don't know where the next closest game stop is. To me, it's and it's.
Speaker 2: Not like whenever I'm going there white a few up here.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there's they have tens of thousands of stores or something like that. Like they had tons of stores, and so it's going to take a long time for them to burn through all of that. Yeah, and that probably you know, each year they probably would they cut off the stores to ten percent that makes the least amount of money or something like that, and eventually they'll just do that until there's basically nothing left.
Speaker 2: Nothing left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, let's see here, I am Yeah. Let's do this next one right here. That's this's a fun one. Ubisoft scores a ratio against Elon Musk on his own platform, which hopefully marks the end to all this Assassin's Creed Shadows culture or nonsense. This is from Harvey Randall at pc Gamer. Assassin's Creed Shadows has landed some solid success on online storefronts and an overall decent critical reception. PC Gamer's own Morgan Park gave it an eighty in his review, which is none too shabby. To celebrate you. Besoft has gone from avoiding trading on egg shells to getting its biggest chunky egg shell stomping boots and the marauding through an eggshell field while laughing uproarously, scoring one of the biggest ratios I think I've ever seen on social media. For context, Ubisoft has found itself in the un unenviable position of being caught in the midst of an ongoing, ongoing culture war over whether video games are woke or not. Blah blah blah. Woke is this and blah blah blah. This time they were bristling over the inclusion of this is the people who are anti woke. They were bristling over the inclusion of historical black Samurai Yaske. Never mind that over the top historical fiction is the series' whole thing. Leonardo da Vinci, you'd be surprised to find out never built a working tank, nor the fact that Yaske and characters characters inspired by him have both popped up repeatedly in Japanese anime and video games. Ubisoft's Yeah, basically what happened here everybody is Ubisoft is marketing their game, and they paid Hassan over on Twitch to play the game, and Hassan promoted it, and I think originally Grums, who was a shitheadshut was like, oh, they had their paying a guy who platforms terrorists to promote their game. And Ubisolf responded to that by saying, our game is out because Mark Kern Drums has been more apparently working on a game for eight or nine years and no one's ever seen anything of it, or if they have, it looks like AI bullshit, and so that was a pretty good one they and the response to that was, you know, Grums had a few thousand likes and the Assassin's Creed account on Twitter had over like one hundred thousand likes the last time I looked. And then Elon Musk got in and basically just said that Hassan is a sellout and called them a bunch of other names. And the Assassin's Creed account responded to that by saying, is that what the guy who plays on your Path of Exile two account told you? And it's like, okay, that that's referring back to everyone finding out. I don't know how they didn't know that Elon Musk was paying someone to play his accounts for games like Path Ofexyle and Diablo to put him in the top ten of like the highest scoring accounts. I don't even know how you play those games for a score or in the first place, but whatever, the highest scoring accounts in those games. And he never really played it, and it was pretty obvious when he streamed it and didn't know what he was doing. So, you know, Assassin's Creed kind of like going headfirst into this did a backfire. It doesn't seem like it did. If anything, it has kind of revealed that people are officially sick of this culture or bullshit coming into every single game. And the ratio for this one, which is like when someone posts something kind of like pointed and then someone else replies to that and gets a lot more likes, Well, this definitely did. It has like five hundred thousand likes now Assassin's c Assassin Creeds response to Elon Musk. I think it's I don't know. I want to like believe it could be a turning point of people just being like, all right, you know what we did, just get hoodwinked. I know it won't be that, but I want to believe that this is a sign of the fever breaking a little bit. Lucy. Do you think there's a chance of that or is this just like a moment we should just enjoy and try to move on from.
Speaker 2: As someone who has been gloriously offline a lot of the last few weeks, I can't tell you how much better it is for your mental health to not be I ain't.
Speaker 1: Everyone, especially Twitter, like that this is the first time in a day or two, a couple of days, and it's like kind of. It's like, at least this felt good, but then you get five feet away from this and it's still a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Protect your piece, be offline if you want to be I yeah, I mean, just enjoy games like Dan put it in charge. Like, just enjoy games and just play them. Seriously, it's been That's what I've been doing that in pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. The people that are in this culture war, they don't play games at all, Like this is just a fertile ground for them to get people angry about something so that they can get engagement or you know, get recruits for their white nationalist groups. Like that's really what it is, over and over again. So yeah, they are never going to go play games. They never liked games in the first place. And then the people who do get hoodwinked. It does seem like they are finally turning away at least in this moment, for this one situation. But yeah, it was very embarrassing for Elon Musk and I hope he can still feel that, or if the ketamine has killed his ability to feel that, that would that would be a real shame. All right, let's take a quick break. Will we come back more to talk about, including maybe Mortal Kombat remasters and when is the Witcher for an Intergalactic going to launch? No time soon. We'll talk about that right after this. All right, everybody, it's okay. Jan has apologized for the sneeze. Just don't let it happen again. No bodily functions on this show.
Speaker 2: Nice Ron, Oh, I'm not allowed to sneeze. There's a classic there was no vine.
Speaker 3: Well, like a couple of looking at this beautiful deer and the guy just lets out like a jan As sneeze and scares the deer away, and the woman just goes nice Ron.
Speaker 1: All right, Mortal Kombat remasters are just a matter of time. According to Ed Boone. This comes from Marcus person over at Game Reactor, more than thirty years have passed since we were first introduced to Raiden Scorpions, sub Zero lu Kang, excuse Mchano and all the other married combatants in Ed Boone and John Tobias's Blood Knuckle Sandwich or Bloody Knuckle Sandwich. I guess it says a lot has happened since then, not least the soft reboot that took place with Mortal Kombat one launch the other last year was that I think I was last year. But for the other two creators, not the not the least ed Boone, it's not all about renewal, and according to him, there is a strong desire to return to the series' roots, something that he also talked about in an interview with Cleveland Gaming Classic, where Boone mentioned that remastering older titles is only a matter of time. When did the Cleveland Gaming Classic happen? I didn't go to this. What's this? I need to go to this apparently, and something he really wants to realize. Basically, he wants to make some remasters. I would love it if we could just revisit some of those moments with the latest technology remasters another action of venture game. There's great opportunities for that. One day, the stars are going to align and we're going to make that happen.
Speaker 2: And I think timber.
Speaker 1: Man, okay, I wonderful. I wonder wat'chs just getting transcribed now that's sound. I think I did go to it in September. Mike can remind me. Mike went, I think, and I couldn't make it happen. So yeah, I think that this is something that we're probably hearing about because it's not happening. Like if he was working on this stuff actively, or if it was even like in the planning phase, it probably would be the kind of thing where he would be a little bit more koy about it.
Speaker 3: Him saying someone someone from Warner Brothers was like a red dot site would yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly on even himself, like you know, he does like the t stuff, but he doesn't. He's usually yeah, he's more coy about it than this usually. So I am. I would like to see this, but I don't expect it anytime soon. What form would you want a remaster of Mortal Kombat to take? Would you want whant to be like, hey, remake the first two games but with the exact modern technology, or or something where it's like HD two D. You're a huge Mortal Kombat head?
Speaker 2: Come on, what about me? Says I'm a Mortal Kombat head.
Speaker 1: You're the most violent person I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. I don't care. Yeah, no, I don't really play Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 3: I think collective time I have played Mortal Kombat is probably like ten fifteen minutes. I Hey, I'm all about game preservation as long as those original games are still available to play. In terms of Mortal Kombat, if people are wanting that kind of modernization of controls and stuff, I don't know. For me, it's that weird one where it's like, are people asking for this or is this a stop gap between your next mainline release it's going to take four or five years to make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I don't know if people are really like clamoring for it, because you know, if you want to play Mortal Kombat one too, the trilogy, those games hold up because they are the exact kind of estyle debate where you know, they're timeless in their own way. They have that nineties rotoscope ugliness to them. You know that isn't really ugly. It's fascinating to look.
Speaker 2: At Damn brk at clamors for it.
Speaker 1: He's stand record Clamors. I just like, what do you want? Yeah, Dan, what do you want? Because do you want Mortal Kombat to remade with the same visual style that that they're using now for Immortal Kombat games? Because I don't want to lose the rotoscope?
Speaker 2: Because what was the what was the street Fighter one that came out? The one that what's his face? Did that great video where he's like screaming.
Speaker 1: At the Maximilian du because he did that for MVC too, Marvel versus Capta. I love that for a lot of the announcements, and it's always very charming.
Speaker 2: Joy.
Speaker 3: Have you seen it where someone put the Mario party trailer over it and it matches the very perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like Peach going up the escalator.
Speaker 1: He just goes.
Speaker 2: Made me cry laughing anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, you say you only played it for ten fifteen minutes, obviously that does include the hours you've spent on Mortal Kombat mythology sub zero. And he does mention an action adventure game. Do you think there's a chance they could like retell the story of early Mortal Kombat games with a new action adventure game. Do you think that anyone wants that?
Speaker 2: Hey? Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I this is just one of those things to me where it's like gaming is just so focused on the past because everything is so screwed up towards looking to the future, and so I really don't know.
Speaker 2: Mortal Kombat is not a cultural touch point for me.
Speaker 3: I think, hey, as long as they do a justice, as long as they do it, I mean, but also you've got interest in the series, so they're not going to have a mainline game in time for the next movie to come out.
Speaker 2: I oh wait, that's the one bit of Mortal Kombat media that I have consumed. I actually did really enjoy that movie. I thought it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Which movie the original one.
Speaker 2: Or the twenty twenty one?
Speaker 1: I turned that off halfway through, right, I went to the cinema.
Speaker 2: I had a little line it was great, Well, my love is going to be in this one, Carl eb And that's gonna be in this one.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, okay, that's where he plays Cano. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I thought he was playing Johnny.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you brot. He plays Johnny Cage. That's right. I think I just assumed, because of his cultural heritage there that he'd be Kano. And I apologize because that's not even the right. He's from New Zealand, right, and Caanos from Australia.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: One of them, I guess, right, But I mean, hey, never forget if Hey, all of my almost almost human heads out there, the ten of us who watched that show, was it almost human?
Speaker 2: The one with the wall? Do you see this, No, this.
Speaker 1: Show, the one with the Wall. Pretty sure that was Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Wait, oh that game Almost Human TV show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Almost Human where he played a cop who hates who hates androids, but then his part it was an android. Oh.
Speaker 1: I did watch that show.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of this season it revealed there was a massive wool and no one knew what was on the other side of the fucking wall, and then I got canceled.
Speaker 1: Yeah I remember this now. Yeah, that was Carl Arvin's great. I like him mostly because occasionally someone who is being overly kind will say I look like Carl Arvin. I'm like, yeah, hey, that's that's wrong. But thank you. All right, let's keep going here. Jason Schreyer has said that neither The Witcher for or Intergalactic The Heretic Profit will be released in twenty twenty six. It's from Jonas Mackie at Game Reactor. The two possibly heaviest announcements during the Game Awards were The Witcher four and Naughty Dogs Knew Intergalactic the Heretic Prophet, Intergalactic the Heretic Profit. So will we get to.
Speaker 2: Play them inside of twenty The Beastie Boys not a.
Speaker 1: Very good one. No few of us expected that, and now a real heavyweight is joining the chorus. More specifically, Bloomberg journalist to Jason Schreyer, known for countless scoops in the gaming world rights of via reset era, that what we have seen so far have been very early teases. This is This in turn means that neither of those games will be out next year. And as soon as as soon as that like headline got posted, I got, you know, messaged from a source in Yeah that I didn't know that this is people could happen. Yeah, these definitely aren't coming out next year. And then I think we got some details from CD project read that said don't even expect the Witcher four before twenty twenty seven, And I, you know what, I also I think I was not expecting that one anytime soon. So that sounds right to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds sort of right to me. I think which was it? Which of four only just went into full production? Was in the earnings yesterday? Okay? Yeah, I don't know. I Naughty Dog loves to release their a console swan song.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, is it even mean? Is it even this console?
Speaker 3: Like if it comes down, say it's either to console or it's the Swan song for PS five.
Speaker 1: If it's if it's twenty twenty seven, and that probably is still PS five. Yeah, because PS five so PS six probably twenty twenty eight at the earliest, I would think at this point, because we did get a pro, we did get a pro but that you know, okay, they made it. If that's the case. But if they if they even if they do, that means they went an entire generation and just barely got one game out for the PS five from Naughty Dog, one new game.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, we got a bunch of uag McCollums, remasters and remasters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just talking about that. Those are definitely like you know, I like remasters and remix so I'm not really complaining. But we know what, we know what's happening there. It's what you said, there's stop gaps there. You know, they fill in these crevices between releases. Crevice was a weird word to use, but I did it. Yeah, it fills the crabs, and I I sure, and that keeps people employed, right because they have something to do. Well, you know, the creative leads at the company take years figuring what the next game looks like. And so this being a very early early tease means a lot of that studio is probably just now being activated to work on that project, like, you know, full time. So yeah, years and years.
Speaker 3: Away we said activated to work on that project. Makes you feel like a cylon.
Speaker 1: Like they're just human resources. That's what they are. That's what we all know.
Speaker 2: They're called the people team. Now, oh, really human resources anymore?
Speaker 1: Oh shit? Is that is that a thing? I've never heard that term.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's did in fandom that the people team.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't read. What's our our resource thing called convalescence, concurrent, confluence, confidence? Yes, yes, I got it.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 3: Think the other day where it was like, hey, Lucy, you haven't checked in on confluence in a while, I was so, yeah, because the only reason I'm going there is to see when on the holidays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that's how might check that thing? Uh all right, yeah, twenty twenty six, No way for either of those. Maybe twenty twenty seven for Intergalactic or.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's hard to do. I'm sorry for taking the piss.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's I'm actually bad at it too, so that's fair okay, But more going out with CD Project red Wichard dev is partnering with the company that now owns Pokemon Go Scope Lely. This is from Eddie McCoo at GameSpot. CD Project assigned a deal to work with Pokemon Co owners scope Ly to make a game based on one of the Polish companies franchises. CD Project made the announcement during its latest financial briefing, but didn't elaborate much on the deal. In fact, they were asked for more details from an investor or someone who represents investors, and the leadership there over at CD Project right just said no, no thanks, We're not going to say anymore. So this is an early deal. Scopely is owned by Savvy Group. It's you know, which is owned by the largest corporation in the history of mankind, Saudi A Ramco, or really the family that owns Saudi A Ramco, the Saudi Royal family. And so yeah, this is a Saudi Arabian sort of company now that a lot of companies are working with and Scope if you're trying to like place where you've heard that name. They've been making mobile games for a very very long time. Most recently they've had the breakout hit billion dollars a year game Monopoly Go, so they have a lot of money to throw around. Whether or not that turns into a success for a Witcher game from Scope Lee, I don't know, or I guess we don't even know if this is a Witcher game. I guess it could be cyberpunk. They're just saying it's a property owned by or controlled by CD Project Red being made by Scope Le. So what do you expect here?
Speaker 3: I mean, also, Jen just posted that Nantick is let go, letting go of sixty eight or so people from San Francisco in particular, because all the shit is.
Speaker 1: Coming the largest company in the history of mankind can't afford.
Speaker 2: Oh sf Gate, Jesus Christ, what the hell was that? Yeah? So, in terms of what game like a Witch's.
Speaker 3: Style, Pokemon go walking around and attacking, Months says, I could see it.
Speaker 1: Oh, they've tried that a bunch of times now and it just hasn't worked with Harry Potter. I don't think it works with Witcher any better.
Speaker 2: What about cyberpunk walking around and hacking?
Speaker 1: I mean, it doesn't have to be you know, this doesn't have to be a Niantic game. Either. It could be the Monopoly Go but Witcher version. I mean, it could be something else completely different. They've given us no details, which is kind of like grasping in the dark because it's this company working with that company, and then they haven't said anything else. So you know, the reality is, I probably never think about this again. Even if it comes out gets announced, I probably will barely even notice because it's just not the kind of game that I'm into. You're muted, Lucy, I'm not hearing you anymore. Yeah, no problem, take your time, get that fixed up. But I think in the meantime, why don't we keep moving. Monster Hunter Wilde's Title Update one has a release date and loads more details. Title Update two is set for summer twenty twenty five. This is from Wesley end Pool at IGN. Capcom has announced Monster Hunter Wild's Title Update one comes out on Thursday, April third, Pacific time. That's a weird way to phrase it. It comes out on Thursday April third in America, I guess, and then April fourth in the UK. Essentially they're saying UK time, but they don't actually give a time. In a showcase video below, Capcom confirmed the release date, as well as what players can expect from Monster Hunter Wild's first major post launch update. The headline here is the Grand Hub, a new gathering place in which players can interact in new ways. Here you can play a new mini game called Barrel Blowing, which sounds like a Donkey Kong sixty four minigame, and listen to the Diva perform at night. Visit Sune a Leviathan monster with Dangerous Bubbles, hits Monster Hunter wilds with title Update one alongside a Zoah Shia quest arch Tempered ray Daweh. I guess I say that arch Tempered ray Daw launch later via an event quest. Overall, what's really happening here is it's gonna They're gonna have a bunch of new content and they will likely make the game more difficult for a lot of the fans who have said, Hey, I like this game a ton it plays really well, it's super fun. I just wish it was more difficult or it was more challenging. And I think a lot of that stuff will come in these updates. So uh, yay for Monster Hunter Wild's players. I want to get back in there. Lucy James are we back. No, no, what okay, just stopped out of nowhere. Well, you know what, we can probably get through the rest of this stuff. And if you come back, just yell at me and let me know. Super Monkey Ball, Banana Rumble, Unleash's pac Man in Pellett Fielled DLC crossover. This is from Chris Sculling and VGC. They're just putting pac Man in a ball, which is where he belongs. They're doing this for his forty fifth anniversary. All right, we lost? Oh wait, are you back?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: I hear you? Do you hear me? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now you.
Speaker 1: Don't have my me it's only one thing working at it. Oh I see, okay, there we go.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's how we'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? What what died my mic? Yeah? It just seems like it just cut out with no warning. It didn't make a sound or anything that was bizarre weird I'm blaming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and now also all of my like, uh is it a USB thing? Like because my life just died too.
Speaker 1: And should be all right? Do you have everything going into a hub or anything? Is it? Did it get bumped power? Don't? Well? You know what this this is working just fine, did you did you keep up with Monster Hunter Wilds you? Yeah, I kind of fell off.
Speaker 2: I'm not a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna try it. I think with this update kind of go back and I want to just finish the campaign at least, I think, and then we'll see if I get into any of this new stuff. And then I don't know if you heard it, but they're putting Man inside of a ball and putting him in super Monkey Ball and that's how they're celebrating his forty fifth anniversary.
Speaker 2: Is he just not a ball already?
Speaker 1: Though he is kind of already a ball. That's like a very good point. It's kind of perverse when you think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you know, when you have you seen those those in Japanese grocery stores where they put bananas in like plastic wrap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I like, even though I know I get what's happening there. They're putting a rap on her, on the thing that already has a rapper, and it's, you know, like pac Man, it is also a living thing. But yeah, I I like looking at this because mostly because I really like Super Monkey Ball and I do like pac Man, so that's that's interesting. Pac Man, not one that has kept up his cultural cachet, right, like that is I think that there's a strong chance I show my kids pac Man and they're like, maybe he like was a reference. It was referenced in a like reck at Ralph movie or something like that, and maybe there the ben still a one Oh pixels, Yeah that wait? Or is that Adam Sandler or is it both?
Speaker 2: Oh, Adam sand it was one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was okay than our Adam Sandler expert was here, Thank you very much, Janachoa, Yeah, okay, fair enough pac Man. Though I'm not hip with the kids these days, that's fine. Things don't have to last forever. Yeah, all right, there was one other thing some and sent over here. PlayStation Plus Essential games for April include a highly rated eighties throwback. This is from Jordan Middler over at Video Games and I don't know they're hiring some weird new kid over there. PlayStation Plus Essential games for April have been announced. The games are RoboCop, Rogue City for PS five, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Digimond's Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory just three different phrases. That's the PS four version. Players can claim these games starting on April first, and they will be available until May fifth. I never really played that RoboCop game, and I should because it looked like.
Speaker 3: Feel bad for not playing the robo Cup game because everyone says so so good.
Speaker 1: I bet that runs okay on Steam Deck. I should just install it on there and just play it a little bit. Although maybe it's one I want to have keyboard and mouse for, so I don't know, but yeah, I'll pick that up. And then that Texas Changsaw Massacre game. We had a lot of fun with that, but I just don't know how much place there is in the market for multiple of those asymmetrical online multiplayer horror games. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't have any time to kind of do that at this point, like there's too much going for my attention.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like twenty twenty for me, that was perfect lucy time to do all that stuff because I had nothing but time.
Speaker 2: But now I actually go outside again, so do Yeah. Man and myself watched though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we played Overwatch again a few weeks back and really enjoyed ourselves. It was a good time. I think I did decide I do like this better than Marvel Rivals. Actually this is this is a better game. Although my Marvel Rivals is pretty good. Beat RoboCop on steam Deck last week. It runs well. Thank you, Marcus in chat. I appreciate that. Yeah. For something like Texas Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's like, I'm glad I played it. Like it's fun to like have the reference of feeding Grandpa blood or whatever you did in that game. That was a good time. But those games do have to kind of become a hobby, Like this needs to be like this is what me and my friends do on Friday nights every week. And I like the idea of that, but there's so many, like you said, so many things vying for my time that this is never going to be that for me. All Right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get over to the poll question that we asked