Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right? I remember too here on a Friday afternoon, beautiful Friday, eighty degrees outside. It is sunny, it's warm. In fact, some would say it's actually kind of hot out there. But I'm not complaining. In fact, the only thing I'm complaining about is when I look at the forecast for where I'm gonna be next week on vacation, it doesn't look as good as it's gonna be here. It looks like it's gonna rain a lot. The temperature is not gonna be that warm, and you know, we'll still have fun. But I was packing today and I'm thinking, Okay, I need I think I'm gonna need like hoodies, not like you know, throughout the day, but in the morning and probably like post dinner. It's I mean, it's gonna be breezy out there. But you know, i'll be on vacation, I'll be with friends, family, my kids, that kind of stuff, so hopefully we have some fun.
Speaker 3: A couple a couple of years ago, is around this time, I went out to La me and my now fiance. We had a week week spent out in La and that was when we eventually ended up why I ended up going to WrestleMania out there, But the whole week leading up there, I didn't even really think to look at the weather. And it was freezing in La I guess a couple of years ago was uncharacteristically cold. And all I remember bringing was like, you know, my my hot boys summer shorts and my my what do you call the Hawaiian T shirts? Right, and like sunglasses, like we're going to the beach.
Speaker 2: Laguna beach, I think in West Coast, like you'll never need it. You'll never need like long sleeves or pants, right.
Speaker 3: Not furroze my ass off, dude. And it made me feel even more stupid because you know, I'm from you know, I grew up in the West Coast, so like, well not not West Coast, but I grew up on the western part.
Speaker 2: Of America, Arizona, yeh Ain and it's west coast, western United States.
Speaker 3: But I remember it getting a little bit chilly, but just I don't know, maybe just not around like that, like not around April when we're talking about like this this time, and maybe it was like at nights and in the mornings, but your whole days were straight. This day it was ridiculously freezing. I remember freezing my ass off out in Joshua Tree. The wind was awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what. So Like, if we're on the beach and the sun is not out and it's you know, sixty eight or between sixty eight and seventy two seventy three, like, it'll if the sun's not shine on you, it's probably gonna be chilly. I mean, especially if you're wearing like a swimsuit, like if you've got you know, like if you're wearing regular clothes, it's probably fine and it's not gonna be like freezing cold outside. But it's just anytime I go to a beach, ninety nine percent of the time, like it's insanely hot. So and look, I'm sure we'll get I mean, I'm sure that Florida sun if it does come out while we're there, even if it's not you know, ninety to one hundred, it'll still be warm and nice. But I'm hoping that the good weather that we have here today can make its way down there, because I'm not sure we'll have much better than this. I mean, it's again, I think i'd have the ac on them, they'll drive in.
Speaker 3: I think like every time I've went down the Florida the same thing when looking at the weather. Every time I've went down, it always seems like it was going to rain, and the whole weekly forecast didn't look good. Yeah, but front from what I understand is it's just like ours, Like ours can change on a dime, like it may only rain there for ten to fifteen minutes, saying, well, usually ruin your.
Speaker 2: Day when it's not raining usually. I mean, it's very rare, at least anytime I've been to that part of Florida that you have like a whole day where it's gloomy like that can happen here for days at a time, you know what I mean. So the forecast is tricky, and I should know this by now because I feel like anytime you look at the maybe not any time, but a lot of times, if you just reference the weather app on your phone and you look at you know, Destin or Panama City or Fort Lauderdale, whatever, you'll see that it has like the rain, like you'll see the you know, the rain like it'll it'll show you that it's going to rain that day, but like it could be a ten minute shower and then it's gone and then it's beautiful and sunny out. So I've been misled by the forecast when I go to Florida many times, but it's still it's just never good to look at it. The visual is what gets me, because you know, you want to get away from whether that's usually you know, not great like usually like this is very rare for me to be leaving Louisville tonight. Well, I guess early in the morning, and we have sunny and eighty degrees. And when I look at the forecast of where I'm going to be next week, there's not a day where the high is eighty And it doesn't show any day where it's just going to be you know, it's expected to just be a sunny day. So but you know, that's the biggest thing I got to deal with. And you know, I'll be okay. It should be a good time, all right, speaking a good time Sweet sixteen. Last night, some good games, I mean I think, well blowouts, I guess when you consider the Florida win and the and the Alabama win. But I mean I was entertained by watching out Obama, even though they were up big and I was feeling good because that was the first leg of the parlay. I mean, but like what they did last night clearly had never been done before. Nobody had made twenty five threes in a tournament game. I think the record was twenty two, so they broke it. And just to know that Bama is a team that could make twenty threes in a game, and if they do that would be yes, still unusual, but they're built to do that, like that's what they do, that's how they want to play. So that was a version of Bama that is a reminder that they're They're as good as anybody in the country when they're efficient. And what gets me about Bama is that they know how good they are offensively. They know they can score with anybody, and they can get hot and put up points in a hurry. That they don't really prioritize defense in any way. They can play defense at times, like they've got personnel that you know can defend. But I just think they're a victim of their own success offensively because defense is never going to be a priority to them, it seems. And when that happens you're you're vulnerable, especially when you aren't making shots. But like last night, they didn't really need to be a team that was locking you up defensively, because again they made twenty five threes. And then the Duke Arizona game, I feel like Duke competed. Thought it was a good showing. I'm sorry, Arizona. I thought Arizona competed. I thought it was a good showing. They just ran into a team that's just got a lot more talent and better, and that's what this Duke team is. I mean, a Duke Florida title game would be phenomenal. But then again, you know, maybe Bam is gonna have something to say about that. And then, of course the last game, Cali Perry had Arkansas rolling and then it all fell apart, and we spent a lot of time talking about that in the first segment of the show today, just because Cali Perry. There's a lot of layers, I guess I should say a lot of components. That goes into being a coach. Right, x's and o's is clearly a factor, but you can still if you're not great at that, you can make up for it in other areas, and Cow's always been able to do that. The guy not only brings in loaded talent every year, not only with freshmen, but also now in the portal, and I think he gets those guys to play really hard. I think if you were to take the same freshmen and they all went to a different school and played for a different coach, I just don't think they would be as good in February March as most of the freshmen that Cal gets. And I think that's a that's a skill, that is that's a I mean, that is how he can be as successful as he's been overall despite always lacking, you know, the acumen when it comes to just strategizing. I mean last night was a masterclass and really just a blatant sign that that's an area where he's always struggled, and more often than not, he's been able to make up for it. But you also are reminded that man, this guy he lost at Kentucky in the tournament against teams that really had no business beating Kentucky. And yeah, look, the tournament has upsets, right, like that's what makes it great. But think about it, like Caliperry, he lost at Kentucky in the tournament to Kevin Allie in the championship game with Yukon to Kansas State when Bruce Weber was their coach to I mean, I don't even remember the name of the coaches that coached Saint Sheen Holloway at Saint Peter's. I don't remember the name of the coach at Oakland. Jerome Tang got him. And you know, it happened enough times at Kentucky to where you could start to see why people would say, well, hey, that guy's only got one title. Kentucky fans when they were still defending Cow they'd said, well, you know, the tournament's random. No, it is, but it's not. The tournament could be random at times. In fact, there are random teams that make final fours that are not random national champions. And there's no program that has more championship type teams with less rings to show for it than John Caliperry. And when he was in Lexington, so it clearly played out that way whenever he was there, and then to see them lose the way they did last night, it doesn't It doesn't erase the fact that he still was able to get his guys playing really well and beat Bill self, beat Rick Patino, But had he just lost a close game and the result is the same. I don't think there's really any talk about him not being able to coach when it comes to strategizing. But he didn't lose a close I mean, he was a close game, but he blew a game with the other guy just simply strategizing much better than him. And that that doesn't again doesn't take away the two wins that he had. They were valuable. But here we are once again Cali Perry losing in the tournament, and the most talked about thing is once again, man, this guy great recruiter, coaches him hard, but man, you get into relying on him to draw up something in a huddle or you know, scheme up something, you're likely going to be at a disadvantage. So I don't know. Like for Cal again, credit to him. They came on late and they played really well for like eighty five percent of that game last night, Arkansas looked phenomenal. Like I kept saying throughout even last week, I didn't predict it necessarily, but I said, look, that's Saint John's team. Arkansas's gonna give them some problems just because they got some athleticism and some size that they just can't account for. And the same thing was happening last night to Texas Tech. I mean, Arkansas was bigger around the rim, more athletic, faster, guys were making tough shots like Janelle Davis when he started getting buckets late in the year. He reminded me of a really good of other really good guards that cal had at Kentucky to where they're just playing with the level of confidence that he that he can instill in them. So again, Calip Perry is a really good basketball coach. There are a lot of things that come with what he does that he's better at than most recruiting. As I talked about earlier, he doesn't baby these guys. Internally, I think he'll he'll do the old they're young, they're young. He'll do that in a press conference in an interview, but that's just to probably piss off his fans or just to you know, have his players back. But internally he tells them I can't hide you. So I think that's one of the things that makes him great. Like these guys grow up pretty quickly with him, and by the time you get to February and March. You know the old saying they're not freshmen anymore. I know, by the way, these guys aren't freshmen anymore. But they're also like you know, future NBA lottery picks a lot of them. So that's a skill. That's something that makes him better than most in that aspect. So, like every coach, great, bad, whatever, you've got strengths, you've got weaknesses. Cal has one big weakness and it's a really important thing, and it's coaching strategizing x's and o's. But he's been so good at the other stuff. He's actually been able to kind of hide that more often than than, you know, than most would be able to hide it. But last night it reared at ugly head that that's just not a strong suit. Or let's go to the phone lines five two, five, seven, seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys want to join us. Let's let's go to Alex. Alex, you're on sports Stock seven to ninety. What's happening, buddy?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 2: Hey man? How are you? I thought that might be you good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, looking back on the season and UH and the tournament, you know, if you don't ask me preseason what my expectations were for Cal. I would say we would probably be a top twenty five team, maybe top five in the SEC, and then we probably have a first weekend March exit. So in that sense, you know, regular season, I feel like cal underachieved. Tournament.
Speaker 4: I feel like Cal overachieved for his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Alex. It's crazy because this Arkansas team in Calipari in his first season, it's the best example I can think of right now in this current season with college basketball. How if the joy and the success that comes with March runs. You know, he wouldn't just get into the second week and he beat Rick Patino, he beat Bill self. I mean that, and they were a ten seed. So it's not like you forget about the regular season, but like you're not really dwelling on it, right, Like the joy, like what happens in March just clearly matters so much more. And that's in a way what makes college basketball I think unique compared to a lot of other sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like you're not even gonna think about the regular season in the offseason, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nobody cared when must struggling in regular seasons because we were built for March, and we'd make deep March runs. But I think if you're an Arkansas fan and you think Cal is gonna come in here.
Speaker 4: And win a national championship.
Speaker 5: I mean I think, why asked, Why would you think that?
Speaker 4: Just look at his track record. The chances are very, very low. But what Cal does bring is branding, and he.
Speaker 5: Brings relevant He's bringing high level.
Speaker 4: Talent, and you're gonna get a lot of a media attention.
Speaker 5: But I just don't get why Arkansas would pay all this money unless that's just their goal to Hey, let's rebrand, Let's pay Cal this money. Let's throw all this nil money out and see what happens. And but I think if you think Arkansas is going to be a national contender, I just don't think it's gonna happen under this contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alex appreciate the call. Man, Good to hear from you. I think there's no doubt Cali Perry can win a national championship because he's gonna build rosters that I think will will always have the pieces to where you could say, yeah, you know, I'm not picking them to win it. They're not my favorite. But yeah, that's when it comes to overall talent. There's not gonna be many Caliperry teams that are going to be, you know, subpar. There's gonna be teams better because you know, I mean, you can't be the best every year, and they weren't the best this year by any means. But he's always gonna have players. He will recruit high school freshmen, and he'll recruit transfers really well, and he's gonna have the resources to do it. But it does kind of feel like, man, if that guy was gonna have a second title, he'd have had it by now, Like, how can you be that close and not get it done that many times with so many great teams, Like it's a little demoralizing, is it not? Because again, like twenty fifteen, best team I've ever watched in college basketball didn't get it done. I mean even the twenty twenty ten team, I think it was John Waldemarcus Cousins. I mean, that team was special. They could have won a championship. Probably the best team in the country that year. I mean in twenty seventeen, they were really really good and they slipped they well didn't slip up. They lost in North Carolina in the Elite had on a buzzer beater, and that Carolina team won the whole thing. And then in fourteen they were hot as can be, and it I mean it was right there and right there for him. I mean, you got a Yukon team who nobody could believe was there a Kentucky team who another example of what we just talked about with Alex, that Kentucky team did not have a good regular season. They got an eight or a nine seed, and it made total sense because of the resume. But then they turned it onto the tournament. They beat Wichita State in the second round, beat Louisville in the Sweet sixteen, beat I think it was Michigan in the in the Elite eight, beat Wisconsin in the final four, and then beat I may have that backwards. But then they lost to Yukon, and like, there's no reason that Kentucky team should have ever lost to Yukon. So he can win it, but it just seems very improbable because you know the team, some of the teams I just talked about, like he will never coach teams that good again, not only because you know he's no longer Kentucky, but like those teams that good don't really exist anymore that way, right, I mean, it's just different, it's different. So I do think Kentucky fans today are feeling a little bit more loose and relaxed. And it's okay. This is what I talked about earlier. For those of you have missed the beginning of the show, when Cal was getting past Bill self and Rick Pattino, and that was easily one of the bigger stories of the first weekend is that ten seed Arkansas got it rolling. And here Cal is once again back in the second weekend for the first time in you know, six years. So I heard not not it wasn't like constant, but you know, a lot of the oh, good for Cal, Yeah, good, good for him. I'm happy looking at everybody's better off, like I'm happy for him. Good for him, Like and you didn't believe that, you just like you didn't know what to say, right so to see the victory lapse last night whenever he implodes as a coach and loses, Like, don't don't try to discuss, don't try to convince yourself that you're not feeling great joy from that. And it's normal. It doesn't make you like obsessed doesn't even really make you a bitter ex. I just think it's it's human nature, right, because this is a divorce. You got divorced, and you've you know, you've been kind of cordial. It got awkward and kind of kind of toxic late. You know that you're happy, and you know he wasn't happy, or at least he wasn't winning, and then now he was like, don't fight it. That's all I'm saying. It was a natural thing for you to take joy in him losing last night, because look, when you have an ex, you're going to compare yourself or I guess your happiness to theirs. Right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side talk a little more about these these Well, one transfer is already in the mix for Louisville. I'm sorry for Kentucky. Cam Williams, the two lane freshman. He committed to Kentucky earlier today. And then Louisvill's got a visitor on campus, Adrian Wooley from Kennesaus State, one of the top I mean again, I didn't know this was the thing, but you now get a new ranking and a new star level when you're a portal player rather than just a recruit at a high school. And he's a five star in the portal, so a lot of suitors. Louis's got him on campus right now. There's a trend here with these two guys that I think again is going to become the new norm. So we can get into that. Also, got to talk about this Tennessee Kentucky game because I got like a pit in my stomach because I think the easiest bet is Kentucky money line. But I can't do it. I just I can't. I can't force myself to do it. I don't think. And then last, but not least, at some point before we get to five o'clock, I do want to talk about Kevin Willard's seeming departure, like it seems like he's not coming back to Maryland. Right What a weird, weird few days it was for Kevin Willard. So a lot more to come. It's a Friday, We're feeling good. It's Coffee and Company Filbeth Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company uled buy Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So the transfer portal is I think nearly impossible to keep up with, even for coaches. Pat Kelsey did a random interview and I don't mean like this. I don't mean this in a bad way. It's just not somewhere I expected to see Pat Kelsey doing an interview, but he was on with Dan Dakich on his digital show on the OutKick Network. And when he says that they're refreshing the portal like every every fifteen seconds, I mean he's probably not exaggerating by that much. I mean, you just got to you got to keep your eyes out there for what players become available and who you think could. I mean, there's probably got players that coaches aren't aware of, are familiar with, they see them in the portal and then they, you know, pull up all the film and fall in love, right. I mean, that's just that's and I'm sure over time coaches who really not only embrace it, but just really like I think one thing we've got at Louisville with both Pat Kelsey and Jeff bro is that these guys, I'd say more so for Pad because he's still hungry and he's not a new and young head coach, but he's on the younger side and obviously he's climbing the ladder of college basketball now, so he's still driven to achieve some big things. And so is Jeff Brom. But you know, Brom was was was active in high level football before this new world started. I think Jeff's just a guy that is so I mean, it's just it's it's all he wants to do is win football games, and and you know, football is his life. And I think he realizes there's no there's no benefit in complaining and griping about it, Like, let's just figure out how we can make the most of it, maybe use it to our advantage because we want to win. Like there's there's a I don't to me, Jeff Brom has a little bit of a mentality that's like there's really not anything that they could do to change college football or football itself to make me not let it be. You know who I am and what I do. So whatever happens, I'm gonna roll with it and make it work as best I can. So, you know, I think you just get comfortable and like you get I mean, clearly you need resources that you can't necessarily control yourself, right, Like you could be the best salesman in the portal with a lot of rings to show forward or whatever. But if you don't have money, then you know you're going to be at a disadvantage. So I just think, before you know it, this will just be like nothing's going to surprise anybody when it comes to really anything with college athletics, because it is. It is pro sports now it is. But anyways, these two transfers that we've talked about today, one is a kid that committed to Kentucky out of Tulane after his freshman season and his name is Cam What is it Cam? Cam Williams so six' eight, shooter average double, figures about ten points a game at two, lane and they're still playing and they've already landed a guy for next. Year that's just that's the world we're in. Now so For, louisville they haven't landed a commitment in the portal just, yet but they are hosting one of the top transfer guards out, There Kinnesas state Transfer Adrian, woodley six' five, combo guard. Can shoot it was First Team ALL, conference Ussa WAS Conference ussa rookie Of the year and clearly a really really. Talented player and he Is visiting. Louisville today so that doesn't, guarantee anything but, you know that's at least a. Good sign now when it comes to the other schools involved here with with with with, LET me i just had it pulled, up, here sorry because again when you look at and that's one of the things THAT it's, I mean i'm sure it, won't change but. It is it is kind of a it's annoying to try to follow this when you see like thirty schools listed and like you just really have it's it happens, so quickly and money is clearly such a big factor now that you really never know where you stand because you can love everything as a transfer about, the school, the location, the opportunity their style, of play but if the, money's funny then they're out right like THAT'S just, i mean, you KNOW so i don't Know where, louisville STANDS but i would say getting him on a visit is at least a. Good sign so these are two guys that were high school recruits, last year, and look maybe this is this is going to be the trend here because if you go Look At Adrian, adrian wooley he was a three, star transfer which by the way now he's the number three overall player in, the portal and he's the number one, combo guard and he's a. Five star but that's his profile here at twenty four seven sports as. A transfer but out of high school just a, year ago he was a. Three star he was a top three hundred, ish player, and that like that's not something to. Brag about that's not somebody that you would, typically see, you know signing with a Place like louisville or the other schools that are pursuing him. Right now but like he could be an example of somebody that Before, the portal that guy would, have been, you know at at a power five school because, you know NOT all, i, mean look let's. Be honest if you're top three hundred and all those players annually just go to the five best the schools within the that are within the five, Best conferences like, you know think of the low level schools In the big twelve And The big east IN, The acc like they probably get guys like that out of high school every year before it turned into what it turned into now With the portal AND. Within il so, THESE guys i don't know if it was, by choice right BECAUSE what i was talking about earlier is that, you know if you are a if you're a freshman and you're not like a, you Know A dylan harper Or A cooper flag Or Con, KIN nipple I Mean, trey johnson if you're not one of, those guys you could probably still get a GOOD an il deal to go to one Of those power, six schools power, FIVE schools i. Should say, but like you're gonna have a tough time playing, because one you know it's gonna, be competitive. You're eighteen you're gonna have to be exceptional as an eighteen year old to make a big impact, right away and there'll be guys that, do that but. Not many right so you also are playing against older, Players now and that is AGAIN what i keep mentioning IS that i think that's the most like unrecognized change here is, that yes everything's different With THE, portland nil but that's given us guys that are staying as long as they can. In college whereas previously players would get out once, they knew once they knew they couldn't USE, the nba, you know to uh or they couldn't use college to get TO the nba because they just were never going TO be nba. DRAFT picks a lot of these guys, just, Decided yeah, I'm done i'm gonna go play OVERSEAS because i can only make money to play this game until i'm, you know probably in my. Mid Thirties why wasige two three years more in College where i'm not getting. Any money but all of this has led to guys sticking around, in college which again makes the, product better and it makes it harder for freshmen to play at a high level unless you're one of the super. Elite ones so if you are somebody, like that like we may see guys turned down offers From Like, Michigan, state arkansas, You know tennessee even can you Know doubt Kentucky. Or LOUISVILLE but i. Don't know maybe like you may see offers for some of those kids and, they, SAY look I know i won't play. Right away i'm gonna go to the mid Majors because i'll play right away And then i'll enter the portal And then i'll restart. My recruitment it's like becoming. A juco it's really what. It is so you could either just do it by choice or. THESE schools, i mean we've had at least four school four coaches IN The, naa tournament talk about not that are, still left but since the, tournament started there are at least four COACHES that i can think of that said they're not recruiting high school freshmen this year because they're losing fifth, year senior sixth, year senior and they can't go replace those guys with eighteen year. Old kids so you may not even, like again either by your choice or maybe not by. Your, choice right maybe you're just not getting those kind of offers because now coaches are selective about who they bring in and they'd rather, go experienced proven than an eighteen year. Old kid so because, of that maybe That's How adrian jolly ends Up At. Kennessas state maybe That's How can williams ends Up at tulane because in a previous world they'd get the big offers or at least, better offers but now now you got to go the lower level to, start out and, it really, YOU know i just think this is gonna be the new way. Of life you're gonna have guys that you know didn't get the offer out of high school because those are going to be harder to get go to a lower level blow up as, a freshman and then they're big time or guys that are, Not elite like there are guys that are gonna like, for Example Like, mark sears when he was Young, at ohio it, was good but he. WASN'T elite i think He wasn't he wasn't like the best player IN. The mac so you're also going to have veterans that transfer after playing three or four years that slowly but surely got better and by the, time there like, For Example, terrence edwards a good Player At james madison all the, way through clearly Was The sunbelt player Of the year and his last. Year There But terrence edwards as a freshman or maybe as, A sophomore, i mean he probably WOULDN'T have, i mean he wouldn't have been able to play at this level and has been as productive as he. WAS now, i mean, in fact before He WON Conference usa player Of the year last year or some bet player Of The year, i'm Sorry At james madison the year, before that he was six man Of the year in. That league so there's gonna be guys who just have to go this path to get to the highest level because it's not as easy to get those offers out of. High school but you're also going to have guys that just develop at the, Lower level AND then i think that ends up being the biggest question MARK because i think if you're if you're looking at these two guys were talking about Specifically the Kentucky commit williams and then woollye get the Guy visiting, LOUISVILLE today i mean that those guys still have a lot, of potential like they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get.
Speaker 2: Better now will they average the same amount of Points At kentucky louisvell as they Did At kennessas State. And tulane probably not or, MAYBE not i. Don't know but the guys that are eight points per game as a Freshman At, illinois state twelve points per game as a Sophomore At, illinois state eighteen points per game per junior as a Junior At, illinois state when those guys make, THE jump i feel like that's more of a risk where you, JUST say i HAVE no i have no real Clue what i'm. Getting HERE so i don't know if it's That like i'm just going to accept whatever it is and embrace IT because i love. College basketball maybe that's maybe That's why i'm about to, Say THIS but i think this is fun. As HELL like i know that, there's, downsides right you can't fall in love with a four year senior anymore because that's just gonna. Be RARE but i think the portal what, it does it gives us free agency and you always have a chance to bounce back big year after year if you have a, down year and college basketball is talked about more throughout like it used. To be as soon As The final, four ended college basketball didn't get talked about it all nationally until, you Know like, draft night leading up to, the draft and and and and the REAL like, i guess you know things that were covered In late march and EARLY or I guess April and may was who's making? The decision are they gonna come back? To school they're going to go to? The draft didn't that seemed to give us twenty years ago whenever we used to like that used to be the college basketball. Offseason chatter is he coming back to school or is he going TO? THE nba, i mean that's still gonna be, a, thing right guys making. That decision but that was the only Thing from april till your start of the next season for you, to like, YOU know i guess there were still recruits out there you could, Typically sign but now you can go build a brand new team in a week with guys that you didn't you never even. Heard of in the. Previous world, you know you knew everybody was coming back because either THEY weren't nba players and they clearly couldn't transfer because they didn't want to. Set out the portal, Didn't exist and then the, Hope, was okay is he going to come back and to college and PLAY for us or is he going to go? The pros times, have changed that's, for sure right quick break will come back on the, other side let you Here With kevin, willards said IT wasn't, i mean it wasn't sound that's going to blow. You away, but like just the situation overall is. Very Unusual and i've been putting off. Long enough Kentucky's beating. TENNESSEE tonight I just i just. HATE that. I can't you.
Speaker 1: SAID it.
Speaker 2: I can't i can't put pride aside and and bet. On, THEM hey i just can't, open, now, yeah, man yeah maybe maybe. Now More maybe i'm now at least a little more likely to making, the wager Knowing that i've at least, Said it.
Speaker 3: You've done polluted the air.
Speaker 2: WITH it, i mean don't you think?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: TOO like, I mean I like.
Speaker 3: I said i felt good about it, all WEEK but i don't something. ABOUT today i.
Speaker 2: DON'T know i like your Confidence like TENNESSEE because I went tennessee. TO win i just don't think they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Do it what's what's?
Speaker 2: The LINE last, i checked it was four and. A, HALF okay.
Speaker 3: I think it's stayed that way the.
Speaker 2: Whole week we'll check on the. Other side keep a lock right Here In sports talk.
Speaker 1: Seven ninety now back to Coffee and company Fueled by Thornton's On sports talk seven.
Speaker 2: Nine day we are wrapping up the four o'clock hour Here On sports talk. Seven ninety it is Coffee, and company and we are Fueled. By thornton's i'll be making a Stop at thornton's at about four fifteen am. Tomorrow MORNING is i make my uh fill up the fill up, the tank, of course and then make my way Down To. NAVARRE beach I think i'm going to like just a, less CROWDED destined i think that's kind of what it's, been described but there is, you know there is something that makes this a little bit more exciting knowing that It's somewhere i've never, been, before right going somewhere for the. FIRST time, I mean i can't see a place being Better than destined because that's like my favorite place in. The world although, you know it's our like it's it's become our, family vacation like it's it's where we've gone. FOR it, I mean i'm still a relatively young parent kind OF maybe i don't know, MY kid i got, a youngster That's for does that make me a? Young parent but so since we've, been parents we've had a family vacation Long before moose, was born But when maya was a baby baby and we've, been going we've been Going to destin and it was already kind of popular at, the time but now LIKE it's, i mean we've not Gone to destin in years where, it wasn't, you know, insanely crowded which does you know that's, not great but everything else, about it it's it's kind of like our our. Special place so there never been all we got to.
Speaker 3: Change That, mos city That's all i've only Been In, panama city and what's the? Other one you guys got? HONEYMOON plans i think so it's you're just gonna go where she tells you. To, go YES so i need to get. A passport i.
Speaker 2: Know, that yeah. Don't don't don't drag your feet on that because it costs a lot, of.
Speaker 3: Money don't they don't.
Speaker 2: THINK it's i think it's. SUPER expensive i mean there's a cost ASSOCIATED but i don't remember it being like. Real Expensive now i've heard but it takes forever to, get them so. We see i've heard.
Speaker 3: Conflicting remarks i've heard people, say That and i've heard people say.
Speaker 2: They're because they're not consistent BECAUSE that, i mean like we we Went to cabo a couple of years ago and we had a disaster with one of the one of our friends that was going with us because she she ordered her passport needed to. Be UPDATED and i mean it's set on, the thing like, you know you might want to pay the extra to have it like sped up to go through like the, expedited process but the time range even if, it was, YOU know i think they said she could get it in one to, three months and if it was, three months she still would have. Been safe so, she, thought, okay, well no if it's going to take, three months we still. Got time like she was ahead. Of, schedule yeah but then you just never know when you're gonna. Get it so it took forever and. She didn't she didn't get it. In time so they had to get on a they had to change their flight the day before, we left and instead of, you know flying with us and connecting or having you connecting Flight, in dallas they had to fly a day Early. To houston drive, you know Fly to houston and go to like the you could apparently there was like three places in the country you could make an appointment and go, get them. Like physically one Was. In chicago they had. No appointment so she made an Appointment, in Dallas flew, I'm, sorry houston, flew there got, the passport and then drove and met us At the dallas airport the. NEXT day i mean, That's yeah so, YOU know i would be very very early because we had people who put in to get theirs renewed that were on the same trip, with us that put it in like a month after her and got it like long before. We left she just. Never, know okay don't leave it up, to it don't drag it because YOU and I are YOU AND i i, feel like are alike more than people. May realize we are the kind of dudes who would procrastinate and get screwed out of a trip because we just because we were dragging. Our FEET like, i like my wife prevents me from this, a lot like, every day, AND like i, DON'T know i don't know I'D be i, Don't know. I'M alive i wouldn't be live, without HER, like i, YOU know i just she Kind OF again i, SAY this i don't ever think about it in my, everyday life but it's come up on the show at least twice this Week where i'm talking, about It and, i'm, LIKE yeah I think i'm kind of one of her kids in a no, onward way like she has to, kind of, you know keep me alive and keep me together like she does our daughter. And SON so i appreciate her in a. Major Way, All right i'm just going to tell YOU what i like. Right, now okay this IS what i like. RIGHT now i had it pulled up On the FanDuel sportsbook app didn't make the wager YET because i just can't. Do IT but I Like michigan state minus three and. A half I like kentucky MONEY line. I like I like michigan plus nine and, a HALF and i don't love. This One but I'm leaning purdue plus eight and. A half so what tells you the dogs are barking? The NIGHT so, I mean i love this BET and i was GONNA put i was gonna put one hundred bucks. On it pay me eighteen. Hundred dollars that would. Be nice like this IS what i want. To do may not put that much, on it but like this IS what i feel, good about JUST like i felt good about last night until the under you know it was a. Bad PLAY but I just i. DON'T know. I can't. I can't i can't Bet on kentucky. Like that and it's not because like it's not Because Like I'm i'm i'm a lunatic THAT like i just, YOU know i won't be able to sleep, AT night i won't be able to live with MYSELF knowing i placed Money on kentucky. To win it's not that. At all it's just IF if i Picked like i've, Had them i've bet. On them before and of all the bad feelings that come with, losing bets this one was a different bad feeling almost want of discussed to where, YOU know i bet on him to COVER or i bet, ON him i bet him to cover, as FAVORITES or i bet them to cover, as dogs and when they're the one leg that gets you because they either lost or, They won like that's A feeling i want. To, avoid yeah you KNOW what. I mean now it would be. Great satisfying and also like if they WIN and i, win money it'll make it, better then, you know if they win And beat TENNESSEE and i didn't, WIN money i. DON'T know I just i feel that good in them in this game just because of, The MATCHUP like i just think that, They HAD like i don't think the teams are incorrectly seated or anything, like THAT but i think. They're better and it's not about the fact that they made twenty four threes in the two games They. Beat tennessee that was a factor in why they. Did it BUT like I just i Think That amari williams is going to give them. Some TROUBLE like i don't think That that tennissee he REALLY has i mean if they if they Consistently Get amari, williams, GOING like i just think that's not a good that that won't be a good Sign. For Tennessee n you're talking and look the Backcourt clearly ziggler and what's the young man's name who TRANSFERRED from I, Mean Lanier chas lanier as Well as gainey like. THAT trio I mean i THINK it's i. Think it i'd give them the, slight edge but not. BY much I Mean lamont Butler or lamar Is It, Lamont Butler, Lamart Yah. LAMONT butler i mean he's a. DEFENSIVE dog i mean. He's big he Was The Packed mountain west defensive Player the. YEAR twice i mean he he has, shown You as, austin says he can get the cuffs out. On you and that really. Makes defense when he's just out there with his presence defensively hounding the, lead guard that makes you a better defensive team without anybody else having to. Do anything and that's what louisll did this Year with chucky So otega away probably one of the most like under, the radar really good players in. College basketball like he's as GOOD as, I mean i Just Think, Lama, butler oh take away those. TWO guys, i mean even if you give me, The edge. I'm sorry if you give the Edge to tennessee with their with, their trio it's not. By MUCH and i think on, the interior like the Way A maury Williams And andrew carr have been playing and what we know they. CAN do i just, you know it's really a. Stay away but it's also one of those things, THAT like i feel so good about this team winning as an outright underdog that like it'd be foolish for me not to try to cash in, on, That right but, it's them, it's them and it just. Feels weird but money will make it not, feel weird. Right anyways so, but again you say You, like TENNESSEE and i don't want to talk you out. OF it i Do.
Speaker 3: LIKE tennessee i don't. Know why there's just nothing's. Pushing me i'm like not waking up feeling like this feels like a. Cat's DAY like i.
Speaker 2: DON'T believe i don't believe at all in, the well, you know they beat, him twice, but man you can't do it a. THIRD time i don't believe in that. At ALL and I just tennessee will have to, be elite not. E lead but, in look they are a good. Defensive TEAM but i Feel like tennessee they're gonna have to really Just lock, KENTUCKY down, i think to win, this game because it's been proven if they try to beat them playing the Style that kentucky wants, to play. THEY'LL lose i MEAN that's, i mean they shot forty, something threes? WAS it, I mean, I'M exaggerating, I think but Like, in knoxville they got baited into a three point Game. With kentucky kentucky made twelve of them and shot. FIFTY percent, i mean that's just playing them at, their GAME which i just Feel Like rick barnes is smart enough to not try to. Do That but i've Now seen kentucky because of, their injuries they've not been able to play as fast as they. Want to and you, Know What mark pope's Realizes that i've got some really skilled bigs we can do some. Things With andrew carr's a really, skilled guy can shoot it, good Touch And amari williams is just a matchup nightmare because he's physically humongous and he's not super polished around, the rim but he's, good enough and also he's a. Great passer i'm about to, throw, up sorry Gassing up kentucky as they're about to play In the. Sweet sixteen the hell's wrong. With me let's get to. A break we'll figure it out at some point what we're gonna, do tonight and we're riding, again together, all right you? Hear me, damn right keep. It Locked it's cofee. And company Feel about Thornton's On sports talk seven ninety