Speaker 1: Up shop also.
Speaker 2: Saw Dom Dom Dom.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, another episode, another installment of Jay's analysis. We have a real treat tonight. We've got not just doctor Bradshaw, but a couple of my other cohorts. We've got, of course, Father Deacon, doctor Ananias, and we've got our good friend Lewis, the Ortho bro from our discord server. And we have, as said the eminent doctor David Bradshaw, thank you for joining.
Speaker 4: Us, well, pleasure to be here, thanks for having.
Speaker 3: Me absolutely, and he is the author, as we said in the description of the really really helpful work, especially if you're into philosophy, if you are a person who's from the tonistic background, if you have not heard of Aristotle, East and West, that's what you're gonna want to get into. And we're gonna go tonight, alternating in our questions from me, father Deacon Lewis, and we're gonna ask doctor Bradshaw. We're gonna pick his brain until he is basically past out, hopefully not from the coronavirus, but just passing out from the exhaustion of our increasingly difficult questions. We're not trying to stump him, but we want to enlist his wisdom in this in these these difficult topics. So we're gonna go from the more basic kind of questions that arise around the topics of Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Thomas Aquinas, Palamos, Energies, Aristotle, and we're gonna move into progressively maybe more complex levels of question up into some of the more tonistic scholars and their questions and responses. So I'm gonna let Lewis kind of take over as the MC, and then we're gonna have kind of back and forth roundtables. So Lewis, if you want to, you can introduce the first question. And remember, everybody, I've got links to If you go to my website, you'll see the link to doctor David Bradshaw's book. Highly recommend this book if you are into philosophy, Tomism, or any of these topics that we've discussed. So Lewis, I'll let you take over now.
Speaker 5: M Hello everyone, it's a pretty honor to be here. I just want to kind of sit it up as meta topics. So I guess, first of all, Dr Bradshaw, I read your book about two years ago now, and I thought it was really good because it traced really from the beginning to the end the concept of the energies from Aristont all the way to San Gregy, Panama. So I was just wondering if you could start you guys could or talk about a basic basic introductions.
Speaker 6: Yes, energy is distinction.
Speaker 5: Briefly, why it matters in real life, because.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of people think this is just abstract stuff.
Speaker 5: But why why it might actually matter in terms of real life, in church, in life as well as a history of the terms in Latin Greek.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, Well, yeah, I'm glad. I'm glad you kind of want to start there, because it is some thing that a lot of people, I think assume is esoteric and purely abstract, and it's really not. There.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 4: The word that we translate as energy is in the New Testament. It's a word that's used about well a couple of dozen times by Saint Paul counting. Also a verb inner gain that's cognitive to it. And the reason we don't we don't recognize that is because it's usually not translated as energy. It's usually translate translated as operation or working. And then you know, same with the verb it's translated as to operate or something like that. And there's a history for why it's translated that way. It really goes back to the Vulgate in Latin. But if you look at these occurrences in Saint Paul closely, and I've written an article where I do this in some detail, I think it's pretty clear that he is talking about what we would call energy. He's talking about the activity of God as it is present and active in him or elsewhere in the church, enabling him or the church to do what it does to you, enabling his ministry to take place. So one example of that Colossians one twenty nine. Here's a verse where he says, for this I toil striving with all the anergion, all the energy which he that is Christ is inspiring. Or it's actually a passive verb, which actually I would translate it as being which is being effectively realized an ergo menane within me. So he used to the word twice in this one verse. Once is a noun, once is a verb an erga menane. And what he's referring to is that Christ is active and present within him and enabling him to perform his ministry, to do all that he does and that doesn't mean that he's therefore a puppet or some kind of you know, programmed robot that God is simply controlling. This is his own free activity, but now it's also God's activity, and so what he's really describing here is what people often call synergy, which is that union of human with divine activity. And you know, if you want to try to translate the word synergy, I guess you'd have to translate at cooperation. But that really doesn't capture the full force of the idea because cooperation is typically between two independent agents, whereas synergy is where one agent, God is acting in another and thereby enabling that other, the creature in this case of Saint Paul, to be himself and to do what he was meant to do, what he was created to do. So it's really only, properly speaking, the Creator who can do this. Now, there are passages where Saint Paul also refers to a kind of demonic an airbea as well in Second Thessalonians and others. Let's see, I could find those if you like. But it's kind of mimicking in a way this divine activity. Well, all of this was recognized by the early Church fathers. If you go through and you look at the works of the Apostolic Fathers and then the Greek apologists in the second century, people like Justin Martyr and Athanagaris and others, what you find is they used this word group very much in a way that kind of mimics the way Saint Paul is using it, and that's a difference from the way it had been used earlier throughout prior Greek literature. So you mentioned the history of the word, so let me just touch on that. And ergia actually is a word that was coined by Aristotle, and it literally means being at work, and then you have aragon, which is work or deed, and so he put those two together to mean the state of being at work or being active. So an Aristotle it's often translated as activity. But the things that's kind of different in Aristotle that's a little more subtle and nuanced, is that Aristotle also, you know, as a metaphysician, he's interested in, well, what distinguishes an activity from the capacity to act, And so the difference is at least in part, that the activity is something actual and real, whereas the capacity is just to something potential. And so an ergia also becomes a word he uses for what we would call actuality, and that's it's translated that way as well. Well anyway, that's you know, we can get back to that. But what happened in later Greek then was that it became a common term for activity, but not just of God. It was used for activity of the natural elements, of the organs of the body of you know, a doctor who's operating on a patient. Pretty much any active agent you could speak of, that agent's anergia. It was really only within Saint Paul that he restricts it just to referring to supernatural agents, whether God or Christ, or the Holy Spirit or or else. Like I mentioned, demonic activity that's active in another, okay, and it's sort of empowering and enabling that other. And that's what the what the early Church fathers picked up on. And so from that point in the second century on, it became almost a technical term in Patristic Greek for this idea of supernatural activity that bestows some kind of an energy or capacity to do things that one couldn't do otherwise. And you see that, like I mentioned, a lot in the Greek apologists they use it very frequently for the activity of demons, you know, because that was that's a major theme in their work, because they considered the pagan gods to be demons and they saw that demonic activity in the world around them. And then well, later, okay, to skip ahead a little bit, in the fourth century. It comes up very prominently in the Trinitarian controversies because Athanasius, in one of his late works, called the Letters to Serapion in the early three sixties, he has to face this question. Well, you know, he's already argued extensively by that point that the Son is of one essence homusion with the Father. But then in this late work the issue has kind of shifted to the divinity of the Holy Spirit, and so he gives to come up with a sort of a more general argument for well, how do we know that the three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are equally divine and are all fiddly called God. And his argument is, well, they share the same and arrogant What he means by that, as he explains, it is that anything one of them does, the others are also involved in and cooperating, and in fact are equally active in that act. So he gives the example of creation in Genesis, where God speaks and the word that he speaks, the Logos is in a sense the Son, or at least the Son, as he is active in creation. The logos is sort of the uttered word of the Father, and the spirit of God was upon the waters. And so you see already, you know, in the first couple of verses of Genesis, you see the three persons of the Trinity already involved cooperating in the act of creation and with redemption or prophetic inspiration. You know, same kind of thing. That it's the word of God that comes to the prophet and he's moved by the spirit. Right, and when Christ becomes incarnate, it's by the will of the Father that the Son becomes incarnate. And you know, Luke, when it describes it, it's the Holy Spirit that comes upon and overshadows the theatopahs. So his point is that because they share the same and air view. And here I think it is activity, okay, activity operation, that's fine because that's one. Therefore there who see it as one. So it's an inference, and that becomes a really sent idea in Patristic teaching about the trinity, and from that beginning, you know, that kind of dual in beginning in a sense, I mean the pauline meaning that the kind of centers around the idea of synergy, and then the trinitarian meaning you know, later patristic thought sort of builds upon that basis, and a raga becomes one of the words that they use. It's not the only one, but it is one important word they use to describe God as he is present and active in the world. You know, So one of the famous passages. I guess I'll just mention this or maybe read a little bit of it, and then I'll stop because I've gone on a long time. But this is a real locus classicist for the whole idea. This is Saint Basil's Epistol two thirty four. He's replying to a Eunomian. Now, Eunomians were kind of aryan. They were denied the divinity of the sun, and uh. The the argument that he's replying to here was that, well, you you people like Basil, the Cappadocians and others who are defending Niceah, you say that the essence of God is unknowable. The Usiah. That's the word that we usually translate essence. And uh, the Eunomians ridicule that because they said, well, then how how do you know who it is that you're worshiping if you don't know the divine essence? Okay, Well, so that's the the the argument that Basil is replying to. Now here's what Basil says. He says, we say that we know the greatness of God, his power, his wisdom, his goodness, his providence over us, and the justness of his judgment, but not his very essence or lucia. But God, this interlocutor says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of his essence. That's the view that he's replying to. Well, Basil says, the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, the wisdom, the goodness, and so on, are they all names of one essence? And is there the same mutual force in his awfulness and his loving kindness, his justice and his creative power, his providence and his foreknowledge, his bestow of rewards and punishments, his majesty and his providence. In mentioning any of these do we declare his essence. The energies and their gai are various in the essence simple, but we say that we know our God from his energies, but do not undertake to approach near to his essence. His energies come down to us, but his essence remains beyond our reach. And so that becomes sort of the governing idea that the energies, which include things like God's power, wisdom, goodness, providence, fore knowledge, bestole of rewards and punishments, etc. Both attributes and activities, Okay, and that's sort of the way we would tend to distinguish those. But Basil does not. He considers them all to be divine energies. And the energies come down to us. They're what we can know and share, participate in, whereas the Essence remains beyond them as their source and can never be known, not only by us but even by any creature, including the agents. And that too becomes just a fundamental teaching of the Greek fathers and all that's in the fourth century, you know, Athanasius and Basil and the other competition's fourth century, so long before later Byzantines that people sometimes assume wrongly I think originated these ideas. They didn't. It was really in the fourth century that most of it all came together. And then later authors like you know, Saint Maximus or Pomaus, they did they kind of systemaized systematized it a little more. But the basic ideas are already there at the time of Saint Days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to add that that's one of the clearest places. Definitely, you can also go to when Basil defends on the Holy Spirit. He'll actually argue that very point front as you pointed out from Athanasius, that the common energy signifies common nature. So if the Son and the Holy Spirit possess the same powers and energies that the Father has, it stands to reason that they have the same nature. And you'll find that that line of argmentation all the way up into as you said, even Saint John Damascus will say that energy is the signifier of nature, is not identical to it, but it's the signifier of it. I'd also recommend, I know, just for the sake of the audience a lot of people out there, this comes up a lot, especially when we discuss with Roman Catholics, the topic of what is athenationis view of simplicity. And if you read the famous Florowsky paper Creation st. Athanasians in the doction of Creation, he'll show you demonstrably, I think, beyond any shadow of a doubt doctor Bradshaw's point that Athanasius was really making this distinction between what pertains to God's counsel and will and what actions pertain to him naturally. And if you don't make that distinction, you're kind of forced into the position that the Arians had. So anyway, I just want to stress that point. But yeah, that was great. Lewis you want to or father Deacon, you want to ask anything.
Speaker 7: Let's see, I'm trying to hold off doctor Bradshaw the more sophisticated questions towards the end.
Speaker 8: Let's see.
Speaker 7: Oh, you know what would be interesting, since you already picked up on you touched a little bit on this, that perhaps some people get concerned that we Orthodox have a doctrine of development, because you see that these words, whether it be energeia, kind of develop and become used in different sense or even let's say hypostasis, the way that.
Speaker 8: The Greeks and the philosophers use.
Speaker 7: That is to be I mean the Latin word substantia, like the usia, and how this changed over time to respond to certain issues that were coming up within the history of the church. How that's not actually development of doctrine, but being able to have the freedom to use the richness of these words, but being able to give them different nuances. You've already kind of touched a little bit on that. Perhaps you would like to say some more about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, there's a difference between development and the sense of change and development in the sense of articulation and use use of new terms to state more clearly, or at least in terms that are intelligible to a new audience, a different audience, what was already believed.
Speaker 3: I mean, with the.
Speaker 4: Trinity, I don't think we believe in the Trinity any more firmly or clearly than it's Saint Peter or Saint Paul. In fact, it's from them that we learn our belief, as well as from the from the gospels. Right, So although we do with words like usia and apostasis, is try to state that existing belief in a way that's efficiently clear that it can be understood in a modern context, or you know, with those terms even a fourth say a fourth century context. You know that, and that's that's always going to be the case, that language evolves, society changes, and terms you know that made sense or that were adequate at one time no longer really resonate in a new time. And that's fine. On the other hand, you know, whenever you do that, whenever you do that active articulation, you have to make sure that you really are articulating what's already there and not introducing something new. And that's why I think it's important with the essence and Energies, just as one can with the Trinity, you know, to show the biblical basis and to you know, that's it's very helpful that in a way, and the essence energies is in a way even more firmly grounded in scripture than those words we see an apostasis, which are not in the New Testament, at least not in the meaning that they later had, whereas an ergia is right there in the works of Saint Paul.
Speaker 3: I want to ask a question that's on the basic level of things too. On that very point you did well, I think in the book and kind of hearkening back to this being the in continuity with the original revelation given to Moses. Can you talk about how we see this in Exodus. We see the revelation of God's goodness to Moses, and yet at the same time we're told in scripture that no man can see God and live, and yet Moses saw God face to face, talked with him, and was a friend of Christ. Actually it's who it is. So maybe you could explain that, you know, this kind of goes back and then up into even the period of Filo.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, There is a long tradition of reflection on the biblical Theophanes, and you know it's complex, and these theophanes are mysterious, typically like the Burning Bush as well as the one you mentioned is the encounter with God in the darkness on the top of Mount Sinai and Exodus thirty three, and you know that one in particular is sort of helpful because you find in that passage this distinction where God says, no man can see my face and live, but I'll put you in the cleft of the rock, and I'll pass by, and you shall see my glory and you'll see my backside. But anyways, as the text goes on, what he sees is described as God's glory, and so the Greek fathers, like Gregor the theologian is one kind of keyed in on that, and they correlated that with this distinction that's also in that passage I read from Saint Basil between the divine nature as it is in itself or in its own right, and God as he is known only to himself, okay. And then what Greger Nancansen calls the nature that reaches down to us or another term they used is the things around God, and that they'll often identify with the divine glory from scription. So this is very important, you know, for some of the later Greek fathers, also because another revelation of the divine glory may be sort of the climactic revelation is the transfiguration, and it's the transfiguration. The disciples see this radiant glory around Christ, and that's what the monks, you know, they're practicing the prayer of the Heart, particularly in the later era in the fourteenth century, you know, at the time of Saint Gregor Palamas, they also experienced that uncreated light and they identified it with the light that shined around Christ at the transfiguration what they call the taborical life right table, and that was really you know, that identification they made was what sparked the whole controversy that occurred in fourteenth century. But the idea that they were using and that tradition of interpretation, you know, it does go back way way back in history if you want to trace it back to Philo. Filo is one who does identify the divine power, if I recall correctly in the Divine Glory, and if you know, in Philo, the idea is that well, anything any name we give to God, we're always naming one of the divine powers. Both Lord curios and God fails, he says or names of different divine powers. And already in Philo, you know, before even Christianity, he already has this idea that the divine essence is something that cannot be known or named in itself. What we can name and what we can know are the powers that come from it, and that it sort of executes. And the Greek fathers adapt that idea, but they typically they'll use the word power us, but they'll also use the word in rabia activity. And ultimately an ergea becomes sort of the more prominent term there. But it's a similar idea that that essence, it's unknowable in itself or as it is in itself, is knowable in its revelation, in its in its manifest activity. So yeah, and that's really what you see in all the Biblical theophonies. The burning bush would be another case that we would identify, you know, as a revelation the manifestation of the uncreated light. And there are other cases of the divine worry in the Old Testament as well, So all of those are also sort of contributing to this interpretation of that term in Erbia in that the divine glory from scriptures to be understood is in a way that the visible form of the divine in Eric.
Speaker 6: Lewis Yes, so as alive, I just I just missed my cue, I guess.
Speaker 5: As a as a convert from atheism, I became very I took on a very kind of tomistic concept of God because it seemed very coherent and intelligent.
Speaker 6: And one of the reasons why that was for me at least, was.
Speaker 5: The the classical arguments, you know, the five ways for example, and they all conclude with God, as you know, pure act, so and you know, on on the basis of their not being able to be any any potency in God mm hmm. And so shifting this up a gear, getting a bit more technical, I was wondering if you could go through, because in your book you could you talk about dunamis and then you talk about the grades of act and potency in.
Speaker 6: Relation to God.
Speaker 5: I was wondering if you could talk about that, how we would understand God as perhaps pure act and how we would conceive of divine simplicity.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Well there's a you know, a lot of history there also. That concept of God is pure act is one that really goes back to Aristotle in Metaphysics LaMDA Lambda six, where he first introduces the idea of the prime mover. He says that the prime mover is that his Usiah, his essence is an erga okay, and as Aristotle is using the word there and you know, as he goes on to explain this in the next chapter, and Ergia I think is both activity and actuality, okay, because what he was goes on to explain is that the activity that the prime mover performs is thought nosis, you know, And it makes this famous statement that it's thinking is a thinking of thinking, self thinking thought. That's how some people sometimes describe the Prime Mover, and that's in a sense all that it does, all that it or he. You know, it's not really clear that we're talking about a person here, but Aristotle does use I think of masculine pronoun all that Aristotle's God does. But that thinking, then, because of its perfect full actuality, is and also because of another key idea from Aristotle, okay that from the dayanima, that thought at the highest level of actuality is identical with its object. And I can come back to that if you want to, but just for the moment, let's just posit that. Well, because of that, the Prime Mover's thinking, the object of its thought is in one sense, it's itself. In another sense, it's everything, the whole intelligible content of reality. And one simple way to kind of see that is that if that were not the case, then there would be something that the Prime Mover could still learn and still find out about it. And he denies that when he says that it's Usia is in arrogant because what he also argues in that same passage is that there's nothing that the prime mover could do that it doesn't already do from all eternity, and so pure actuality, pure actuality, there's very essence is actuality.
Speaker 7: You get this in book twelve, Chapter I'm trying to see what is that ten seventy one.
Speaker 4: Anyways, go ahead, yeah, yeah, Book twelve is lambda, Chapter six, I believe so. Yeah, so, so that's the idea of Aristotle. Now, Aristotle's God is not a creator. Okay, Aristotle believes the cosmos has always existed. What his God is is the highest is the highest first principle, the arkae, and the intelligible cause of everything else, at least of the order and the intelligibility of everything else. But he doesn't ever do anything in the sense of calling things into being out of nothing, and he certainly doesn't do anything in the sense of answering prayer or performing miracles or giving a revelation. Again, that's just not the kind of being we're talking about here. We're talking about a philosophical first principle, but not an active personal god. Well, okay, so for Aristotle, there's really not problem in saying that what the prime move does, it does eternally, continually and necessarily because you know, we're not trying to make room for anything like free will or free choice, much less for reciprocity or interaction, you know, with their creature. Well, because of that, this is not at the first glance at least a very promising idea to sort of pick up and transpose into Christian theology. And the Church Fathers didn't do so. I mean, they were aware of Aristotle, he was a well known author in antiquity, but they make very little use, in fact, pertually no use of Aristotle's theology. They do make use of his logic, and in the fifth century, you know, to no aristateologic sort of becomes required education for anyone who's going to get involved in the Christological controversies, and they'll they'll use aristatia and terminology like form and matter, species and genus essence. But this idea of God is pure act who has no unrealized capacities doesn't really appear in Patristic Greek Patristic theology. The place it does enter Christian thought is in the thirteenth century in the West. And you know what's important here is that the works of Aristotle, apart from the logical works that have been translated by Believius, but most of Aristotle's Corpus was unknown in the West for most of the Middle Ages until the thirteenth century, and suddenly there was this influx of translations into Latin, and it was a little bit overwhelming, you know, because these are works of so much sophistication in such deep thought that they presented a challenge to the Christian thinkers.
Speaker 8: In the West.
Speaker 4: How do we, you know, maintain our own belief in the face of this, given that Aristotle, say, does deny the world came into being. He also denies the immortality of the soul. So they're clear issues. But how can we, you know, how can we reject Aristotle given the power of his reason? And so it became sort of the central agenda in particularly the University of Paris in the thirteenth century, to show that either they're compatible or that Aristotle can be refuted where necessary, and so people lack aquittance. But also others like Albertus Magnus and even you know, to some extent, Saint Bonaventure. We're all we're engaged in this project of sort of wrestling with Aristotle and appropriating the parts that they could and refuting the parts that they believe no Christian could accept. Well, Aristotle was a little bit more toward the appropriating end, I guess than say Saint Bonaventure was. So he did incorporate a great deal of aristatute and theology, and including as you mentioned, the five ways. Well, the first two of them are you know, the first one in particular, the argument from emotion is right out of Aristotle, but even the second and the third are sort of an airstatic form, a pattern of reasoning that's based on the rejection of an infinite regress. Well, so he then, coming out of the five ways, and especially the first way, draws the same conclusion that Aristotle had, namely that God is pure act in Latin, its act as pueris. And in my opinion, that's kind of, you know, a wrench in the works from the beginning for for his whole project, because this idea that was so natural and so much at home within Aristotle's way of thinking about God. It is very hard to reconcile with the Christian understanding of God, because, you know, Christianity, God acts. He does choose to create, He could have not created. There are many many things he could have done differently, which all looks like he has capacities to act in ways that he doesn't, okay, and so those those are unrealized capacities. And furthermore, he not only acts, he interacts. He is in some sense, and I grant you this is you know, has to be kind of worked through carefully. But you know, he's grieved over our sin, and he loves us, and he rejoices when we repent and turned to him. And you know, this again is very scriptural, and you really can't have Christianity without embracing that reciprocity that exists between God and man.
Speaker 3: Deed, if pure actuality doesn't become.
Speaker 4: Incarnate, right, Yeah, well, the incarnation is sort of the climax of that reciprocity, where God takes on the Sun takes on the form of a server.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like you're teasing out a kind of potency that is acceptable within our framework of simplicity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, power nuonymous is also you can ord you can often translate potency or potentiality. But yes, God has many do names, and there's no intrinsic necessity to his nature that he has to realize all of them in every poble a way, because he's infinite, you know, and so why should we think that he has to realize every every every act he could possibly perform. That just seems crazy. And there's nothing in the in the Bible that would suggest that, and nothing in the teaching of the fathers. So you know, if you want to call that an unrealized capacity, I think it's fine. I don't see any problem with that, as long as we realize that that's not in any way an imperfection, and it's also not any way in which see I think when.
Speaker 7: Yeah, doctor Bradshaw, Oh yeah, yeah, could you talk about that that with the latinization of denonness and energe into potency and actuality, that the kind of a lot of understanding potency is a lack of perfection. Yeah, if you're already kind of touching on it, So if you just for the audience, might kind of explain that, so we could talk about NamUs actually not being the lack of perfection.
Speaker 8: But if you move into kind of a very strict.
Speaker 7: Latinization of what, for example, Aquinas means by potency, then you kind of restrict the way that you can speak about this, because potency really is a lack of perfection.
Speaker 4: Right it is. Well, it's really, as I understand, at least, an idea that that also comes from Aristyle Aristotle in Book A to the Physics. You know, he develops this complex argument that does lead to the conclusion that there is some prime mover, some first mover. But part of that argument is that everything that's moved ultimately is moved by something else, uh the and the only only one thing is moves without being moved, and that's the prime mover, the unmoved mover. Everything else both moves and is moved, and that being moved obviously requires some prior mover. So nothing that's potential can be realized as actual without the agency of some prior cause. All right, that's the key idea. And this is also something that's prominent in the metaphysics of Aristotle, and there he kind of refers to it as the priority of actuality. That's in book nine. Okay, priority of actuality over dunamus or potentiality. Well, so that's why on this Aristatuti and I view, the presence of an unrealized capacity or dunamus would be a kind of imperfection, because there would have to be some external agent that's going to bring that capacity into realization. And so people sometimes think that if you say God has unrealized capacities, that you're saying, oh, so he he's imperfect because something will have to act upon him to realize that capacity. But that's not correct. That's again, I think if anything, a kind of an aristatute and prejudice. You know, it's precisely who God is that he can act spontaneously. I mean, that's the whole idea. Whether that's what creation max Neilo is exactly, yeah, right, there's nothing that acts upon God to make him create. So I just reject that premise that that every that no capacity can be realized without the agency of some prior.
Speaker 3: Agent.
Speaker 4: I just don't think that's correct.
Speaker 5: So that is really to strike at the core of what simplicity is in Orthodox Christianity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well again, you know, it's a lot of this in the West comes from the attempt to incorporate as much as they could of that Aristotilian framework. And you know, as someone who works in the history philosophy, when I look at that now, you know, I'll probably offend some Tomas who are out there because they have their own way of reading this history. But when I look at this history, I just see a lot of what occurred in the West, in the Middle Ages was sort of people were, you know, groping in the darkness because they didn't have access to all the sources. They didn't have the works of Plato, they didn't have Platinus, they didn't have any of the Middle Platonists, they didn't have most of the works of the Greek fathers. And so when Aristotle's works were recovered in the thirteenth century, it was this enormous illumination, and people thought, this is sort of the voice of reason, and we've got to somehow incorporate it and embrace it. But if you see Aristotle in his historical cond text and as sort of part of a much larger development in ancient Greek philosophy that really culminates with Neoplatonism, I would say, especially with Platinis, well, then you know you don't come to that conclusion. You just see him as sort of a step along the way. And that was more the position the Greek fathers were in that they had they had access to all those sources. None of these were ever lost in the East, and they always, you know, when they read philosophy, it was always sort of in light of that whole history and never taking any one figure as the sole authority. So I just see what happened in the West is kind of a you know, a result of a lot of historical contingency that has largely to do with language, just the in the non availability of translations, as well as some differences that come in when you try to translate Greek intolabin. So I just I feel it's been a huge mistake for so much of Western theology to sort of remain fixated on the thirteenth century as if that was the golden era, and it really wasn't. It was just a you know, it was a people were coming to terms with new information, new ideas, and it was just a step along the way.
Speaker 3: On that question of question of simplicity, I'd like to ask a follow up there in the section on Palamas. Not to get too far ahead, but you touch on that that that Lewis just raised about. It seems that the idea of simplicity originally was more so a question of acting and acted upon as opposed to whether there were distinctions. Could you could you explain.
Speaker 4: That well, yeah, I would. I would say originally, I mean, simplicity just means not having parts. And Aristotle does talk about the prime mover being simple, and Platinus actually, you know, Platinus has three hypostases, okay, right, the same term that gets used later in Trinitarian discussions. For him, they're the one, intellect, and soul, and in that order, the one is highest, then intellect comes forth from the one, and soul comes forth from intellect. Each one of those is simple in Platinus, and he uses that term, but there are degrees or sort of levels of simplicity, and actually those three platinum hypostases are one helpful way to sort of think about that. This soul, you know, soul has hypostasis. That's not any individual soul, Okay, it's sort of soul as a as a principle, is simple, but it is temporal. It does exist in time, and it you know, can be located space in the sense that it's present throughout the whole cosmos. And so it's not perfectly simple in the highest way, but it is simple, and that it's in material doesn't have material parts and doesn't a should I put this well, Okay, let's just leave that in for soul, because when you get to intellect, which is the second Platinium hypostasis, you get a higher kind of simplicity because intellect is not temporal. Platinus says that the life of soul is time. Time is the life of soul, whereas the life of intellect is eternity. Okay, intellect is all that, It is all that once. It doesn't do different things at different times. In fact, intellect and Platinus is essentially his version of what Aristotle had said about the prime over. It thinks everything, all intelligible content, all at once in a single, unified act. Well, so it's simple in a much higher way than soul because you can't draw temporal distinctions within its activity or its being. But it's not the simplest in the in the very highest way, and in this splutonium system, because the first hypostasis is the one, and he says the one is beyond both time and eternity. And that's because eternity being the life of intellect, Well, the one is itself beyond intellect. It's not an object of intellect. It's not something that intellect can apprehend. And the reason being that it doesn't have any form or any distinct intelligible Well, so you know, what can you say about the One? And a lot of what he says is what the One is, not as I just did, but it is also you know, and this is something he would affirm that it is the source of all other things, the ultimate ArKade, the ultimate, first principle, the ultimate, It on the ultimate cause, and from it it comes intellect. And also the other thing you can say is that it's the good yet advice, the one and the good. It's that to which all things seek and to which they return. So you have in Neoplatonism what's called precession in return. Well, anyway, so there's an even higher kind of simplicity in the One than there is an intellect, because whereas the intellect embraces all intelligible content in a single eternal act, the One is beyondtinct intelligible content and beyond eternity. So it has the kind of simplicity that consists in having no form all.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: Now, one simple way I think to look at what's going on in the Greek fathers, as they sort of you know, as I mentioned, they'll never take anything from Greek philosophy and just you know, plug it in like it's good. You know, that doesn't work that way, but they will use ideas and concepts and sort of adapt them. So I think you find both of those higher forms of simplicity in the way that the fathers understand God, in the sense that the divine essence as they understand it, they'll use a lot of the same terms the Platinus used in describing the one that it has no name, that it's beyond intellect, it's beyond being, it has no form, but is the source of all forms, all right. And then a lot of what Platinas says about intellect, they'll use that kind of language in describing the divine energies as being the way in which that transcendent, unknowable divine Essence is manifest and can be known and participated and named. All right. So in a sense, you know, they'll never just adopt the idea of forms per se from grateful and in a sense, a lot of what Platinists would say about the forms that are the objects of thought of intellect, they would say about the divine energies, that they're the names that the intelligible objects that we can apprehend and seeking to know their transcendent source. Well, okay, so the point being that simplicity itself is complex. There are different ways being simple, and you know, you know, it's so people talk about the doctrine of divine simplicity. Uh, there are different doctrines of divine simplicity, and you've got to be careful which one you have in mind. And I think the fathers, the Greek Fathers, definitely do believe in divine simplicity, but they don't articulate that the same way that it comes to be articulated in the wayst.
Speaker 3: Well, the way the way you word in the book. You say, Palamos argues in fact that to possess a multitude of powers is not a sign of composition, but of simplicity. So ironically there it's more so a question what I was what I was getting at was the way it develops in our Orthodox tradition is that it's conceived of as mutability, whether or not there's liability to change, rather than whether there are distinctions.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Right, Uh, that comes up when he's re responding to Barlin. Uh. Yeah, and so for him it's one more sign of God's simplicity that God is not happy upon. Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: So so given the.
Speaker 5: Doctrine of divine simplicity that the.
Speaker 6: St.
Speaker 5: Thomas a quietness, sorry Thomas Aquitetas and the Thomas have committed themselves to, maybe I thought, if it's not too jarring, we could segue into a discussion about problems in Tomistic natural theology and perhaps starting to talk about the logie first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, uh, the logi. So what do you have in mind there?
Speaker 5: Well, Jay has some critiques regarding the logi and the and the doctrine of design simplicity and intomism.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, Jay, would you mind just explaining that a little bit? Sure?
Speaker 3: I guess what I was getting at is that to me, it seems like the two are are kind of irreconcilable. The first reason, I think that the Tomistic conception of locating the exemplars in the divine essence itself is problematic, so we have to see them as works of God that are not identical to the divine essence. That's I think the first departure point that we would we would notice between Saint Maximus's conception of logi and what you get in the West from Augustine up into Quitas, because really, again, this would be another way of compromising the doctrine of God's free creation. If creation is patterned on archetypes and exemplars that are in the divine essence, then if they're real, then creation is just as necessary and just as willed necessarily as God's essence and as the Since they're in the essence, they are the essence. Right, So creation, I would say, then kind of becomes more of a patterned, determined emanation rather than a free action, which is why, as you point out in the book, Saint Maximus does not equate the logie with the eternal energies or attributes of God. They are only in reference to the created order.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, okay, I got you. Well, you know what what the Aquinas says is about the divine ideas is that they are the distinct ways that God knows that his essence can be imitated. Exactly, which is I mean, well, I mean it's it's problematic because you know, you've got that in the further step that God chooses some of these to actually be imitated in creation and some not. Right, so, so he has the idea of unicorn, but he doesn't choose to in stand shiate that one. So yeah, it's you know, it does take you back to the whole issue of divine freedom, which I do think is problematic on that kind of a view. So this this issue, I think, you know, it's not posed the same way, and the same problem doesn't arise for the Greek fathers because they just take from the beginning that, yeah, the logi are acts of will. They're not forms of divine self understanding there, they're dynas part of me thought will. Yeah, thought wills. I think that's the term the Saint John Damascus uses, uh Dinysius calls him divine and good acts and will the laymantagh and Maximus uses that as well. He quotes that from Dionysius, And so it's really just taken for granted that and union. The other thing that's interesting is that there there's a distinct act of will for every individual creature, you know, so you have your own logos and I have mine as well as there's one universal logos for for humanity and a higher level one for an animality, right, yeah, so they're both generic and specific and individual. And the other thing that's a very important difference between the logo and the divine exemplars and aquinas is that we as free creatures have a kind of a calling to realize, and you know, the extent to which our logos is actually realized in time and space and time is of us. That's where they that synergy comes back into it, right, and synergy is is it does require our human co operation. So they're not simply the exemplars by any stretch. They're more like, yeah, they're individual creative acts that call us into being the define who we are with our native capacities and what we're meant to be. But then we have to realize, you know, we as free creatures, we have to realize the logos.
Speaker 3: I would also ask too, it seems that in the Tomistic conception, the tendency is to equate universals in the same way with the divine essence. They seem to be located there. I could be wrong on that. You can correct me if i'm not. But there's a difference, a very fine point distinction in say, Maximus that even universals are liable to perish, which if they were ultimately located in God, they wouldn't be liable to perish, and so it seems that even the universals themselves are part of the created order that big forty two he speaks of Christ recapitulating. That's, of course one of the most of the difficult of the ambiguous, but understanding as I read it, and again I want you to correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that Christ's a recapitulation of the created order, gathering so to speak, the logi back into the logos that the Fall in a way had kind of like jolted, I'm speaking of the created aspect of things that partaking a corruption. As you pointed out, it's our duty to recapitulate the virtues themselves in ourselves, and that's kind of us getting realigned with the tilos, the logi purpose that Christ had for us all along, and so we have to participate in Christ and Theosis to recapitulate those virtues so that in the Escaton we will experience ever well being instead of ever ill being, because even the unrighteous will have their natures restored in the Escaton, but because they haven't recapitulated the virtues, their experience will be ever ill being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Do I have that correct?
Speaker 4: I believe so far as I you know, I couldn't cite you chapter in verse on all of that where it is in Maximus, but it sounds like very much definitely his idea, you know, in a big of a forty two. It's Christ. So humanity did have the vocation of being the mediator and the microcosm in which all of creation is sort of encapsulated and returns to God and the five divisions of being are overcome, right, And because of the fall, we failed in that vocation. And so Christ, becoming man, does what we were meant to do, and he overcomes and reconciles those five divisions. And now you know, by being in Christ, we too partake of his salvafic work, you know. And and there's the adoption of sons, I guess as one of the Pauline terms. Exactly there on Lewis.
Speaker 3: Lewis's point, he asked the question in regards back to natural theology. So we have in Maximus the threefold embodiment of the logos, and uh, He's uses that that imagery of the even the created world being a kind of a garment that the Logos is wearing. So to speak. This, in my understanding, is what led Father Stanneloy in Orthodox Dogmatics, and say Saint Justin Popovich in his book Orthodox Faith in Life in Christ, where he analyzes Saint Isaac the Syrian's view of mystical union and the Logi, to point out that there's there's not, really, strictly speaking, in the Orthodox conception natural law and natural theology in the tonistic sense. So it's fine to use that word and that terminology. We're not getting hung up on the on words. But the way that the Tomistic conception will have a actual content of natural theology is in no way different. Ultimately, I think then the way that we get it in Saint Maximus, where you ultimately the content of nature and natural law is the logi, that's the meaning of nature. And this is why Father Stanieloid can say that in the Orthodox conception there's not strictly speaking a Tomistic natural law theory, because what's in script The truths of Scripture are the logi, the truths of nature are the logi. The difference is rather not so much the it's it's it's the way that the information comes to us. Right. The rocks and trees are different from written text, but Saint Maximus says in a way that the whole whole of reality is a kind of text of the logos. So it's not so much this two tiered system of nature and grace. There is a distinction between nature and grace, but the idea and tonism of like natural truths, natural law, and then you stack on top of that the supernatural truths and supernatural revelation. We don't see that kind of a division in Saint Maximus. We see more of a unified view, and rather it's two different ways or the content is the logos of both, but the ways, of the means of the mode by which that information comes to us is obviously different between written scripture and the natural world.
Speaker 4: Yeah well yeah, so for the Greek fathers to understand nature properly requires ascetic transformation, repentance exactly. The senses have to be purified. And so you know, there's these the three forms of contemplation that were distinguished by I think origin initially, and then a vigorous and others Practica being the first or sort of the most basic and fundamental. That's that's a setic practice, and that you know, it's basic, but it's not something you ever get beyond any any Christian and certainly any Monk is going to be always until the end and engaged in that sort of ascetic discipline that teaches us to view natural things rightly, not as objects of appetite or possession and pleasure, but as creatures made by God that are there to glorify God. And by the way, liturgy also, you know, has this same sort of meaning embedded or transmitted that you learn what our bodies are meant for. You know, they're meant for bowing, for prostrating and kissing and and and so, you know, there's a sort of ascetic liturgical education that we have to undergo. And according to Maximus, you know, as one does, so, your senses are He uses this interesting term that they're rendered rational. They're made to be rational, They're made to be able to see things as they really are. And that's the stage, the second stage of contemplation physically, the natural contemplation, uh that does perceive the logoi that are in nature. And as you mentioned, you know, that's what he says are analogous to Christ's radiant garments and so but that in turn is a stage toward the highest level, uh theologia, which is, you know, pure prayer and that that he says is analogous to the vision of Christ's face. Yeah, so anyway, that's yeah. They they use the term natural law, and I don't think they would, you know, object to a lot of what the West has to say about natural law. But if you don't have that basic idea, then nature can only be under known properly through ascetic and liturgical transformation, then you're going to end up creating what is just a human philosophy, you know, and that is unfortunately, I think what what did occur? Mm hmm, yeah, hm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was wondering what kind of critiques you might have of the classical arguments, say the five ways, And I know that father and I has some views on this too, as someone who was very familiar with them and found them as kind of kind of the lynchpin of apologetics. How would you approach these things?
Speaker 4: Well, so, I guess I've never been moved if you will, by the argument for motion that it's an ariostyle.
Speaker 8: Never been moved by the first move.
Speaker 4: I guess part of my you know, so my personal history I was a physics major, and I worked as a physicist before I'm back to school and got my philosophy. So anyway, I just I don't think that motion is what Aristotle says it is, you know, and I was I mentioned this earlier, right, that he thinks that every every real change requires some antecedent, actual cause, And I just don't see how there there's room for spontaneity in that world. And you know, real spontaneity, I think kind of enters philosophical thought through Christianity, because we understand man to be made in the image of God, and God is spontaneous in the sense that there is no external cause and he acts out of the abundance of his own goodness, and you know, that is sort of the paradigm the archetype that we're made as an image of. And the Greek fathers when they talk about what they call out exusion, you know, self determination or sometimes that's translated to free will, that's what they say is that that's part of our being made in the image of God, that we have that out exusia, that self determining capacity. So partly for that reason, partly because I just did the mismatch with modern physics, I think, or even Newtonian physics for that matter, I don't. I don't think that air Strateian understanding of motion is is really inadequate one and because of that, I've never seen much power in the in the first way, and the other, you know, the other has a reason, I would. I also don't like the conclusion, right, I think that when you end up drawing that conclusion that God is pure us, that just loaded yourself with a bunch of unnecessary problems.
Speaker 8: So and how about yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, just to kind of round up the thought about natural theology, when you do look at the way that fathers argue for the existence of God, it's primarily some form of the design argument that they use very frequently. And but the way they use it isn't really to then become the basis of a systematic philosophical sort of unfolding of all the divine attributes and so on. They use the divine argument to say, yes, there is a creator and we can learn that from nature. But now and we and we we have good grounds to believe that Creator is good, being good? Wouldn't he give us a revelation?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 4: Why would he leave us alone, and so then they turn toward revelation. So they don't really do this sort of typical Western natural theological project of trying to, you know, push natural reason to the to the limit and build up a whole theory of God on that basis.
Speaker 3: Before before Father Deacon takes over one last question on that point, Another area I think would be difficult to reconcile Saint Maximus with natural theology and the tonistic scheme would be in Questions and Doubts. There's a couple of places where he talks about Trinity's in nature. I know this is a little a little controversial, but obviously didn't we don't want to read too much into that in the sort of Latin Augustinian sense where we read the the triads that are in nature back into God. But there is I think a valid move in Saint Maximus too at times notice that the creative world does have a triadic feature. He does this in multiple different places, but in Questions and Doubts he even considers the possibility in question one thirty six of a natural proof of the Holy Trinity, where he talks about the logos of beings and then the wisdom and the Spirit, that the origin, the logos, and then the place of the Holy Spirit. In terms of things being hyposthetized, that he seems to think that this relates to the Trinity. I mean, it's not that long. I'm not going to read the whole thing. But he says that all beings are believed to exist in three modes essence, difference, in life. And we believe on the one hand that there is some essential being from the logos of the essence of beings, who is the Father. And on the other hand, there is some essential being from the difference of beings, that is wisdom, that is the Son. For from the wisdom of the imparting to each nature of an offered selfhood takes place, and it's wisdom manifests each thing that exists as both distinct and unconfused, both towards his self into the rest. And there is some essential being from that that is the Holy Spirit. But in the case of God, these things are in high postatized as such. So each one of these, this this triad of principles that he sees in nature, he says, actually in God are in hypostatize, which is where he has improved upon the sort of Plotinian arguments. Right, just like with the logi, the logie are not impersonal. Maximus takes them and makes them in hypostatize, and he does the same thing with these these principles here in nature. And I would think that really that would be completely foreign to any kind of natural theology Tomistic conceptions. Whereas you do have some medieval Latin theologians you think there might be little trinities in nature. In the Tomistic scheme, that would be impossible.
Speaker 4: I would think, why would it be impossible, Because.
Speaker 3: The doctrine of the Trinity would be a doctrine only known by supernatural revelations. So I'm speaking in terms of epistemology, right, So a Thomas could conceivably say that the reality of the world does have some triadic structure, perhaps ontologically, but in terms of in terms of a pistemology, there's no way that I can look at the natural world and see Jesus or the Trinity, because Jesus and the Trinity or any kind of doctrine that appeals to revelation is not part of natural theology. So, and this is why the Tomaistic tradition has pretty consistently said that natural reason and natural theology has to operate autonomously, like the reasoning. I'm speaking epistemically, I realized that Atomas would not say that metaphysically speaking, man's natural reason is autonomous, But in terms of epistemology, they do affirm that man's reasoning is autonomous and apart from any revelation. So in other words, they wouldn't say that you need revelation to interpret the natural world. But the natural world has fallen, right, the world as it is has fallen, and if it is fallen, I'm not going to be able to properly interpret it without a doctrine of the fall. Hence why a lot of times in saying the Enlightenment period you get people reacting to classical pologetic arguments by pointing out that you know, you see, you see people like Nildergrass Tyson, you know, the atheists. They'll still make these arguments. Now, well, they'll say, when I look out at the natural world, I mean it looks to me like it's created by a psychopath, because who would have designed a world where, you know, parasites feed on parasites. So, in other words, they because they're not taken into account the doctrine of the fall, which is a doctrine that's revealed. What I'm saying is that in the Tomistic epistemology you have this division between revealed theology and natural theology, and they don't recognize that you need revealed theology to properly interpret the natural world.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well so you'll notice, you know, the Greek Fathers never talk about natural reason. Yeah, as you know, as sort of a separate wait, knowing things as opposed to revelation. That again is a largely an artifact. I think of the way Aristotle was recovered, so the West had already made this distinction even before that, but it really, you know, becomes really kind of a structure that structures the whole way they think about things in the thirteenth century when they identify Aristotle as the voice of natural reason, you know, than the Bible we have that gives us the revelation, and the Greek fathers thought that, well, reason, the reason is a form of revelation, you know. Reason, the reason we have is our participation in the divine logos. Yeah, and so when we know things, we are sharing in that divine understanding, and so there's not really a line, a sharp line that one would draw. They typically don't.
Speaker 3: I think, is it Fetus at Rachio, the John Paul and cyclical feather Deacon, and then I mean and the Leo the thirteenth and cyclical also, which reaffirms you know, Tomism.
Speaker 8: And then you'll get this in Vatican one as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, Okay, go ahead, Yeah, do.
Speaker 5: You have anything to add to that, Father An and ees the whole natural theology thing, and then we can just round that up and then we can move on to you.
Speaker 7: Well, it's amazing because my question was one of my questions. You just answered that you believe that a quitas is assertion that God can be known a posty or i from creation by what the Thomas would say, by the natural light of reason alone, and that means without any new natural or supernatural revelations. So, as you'd rightly pointed out, natural revelation is seen within the light and participation of the supernatural revelation.
Speaker 8: But it seems that what developed in the West was well, we can know that.
Speaker 7: From the light of natural reason alone, and no God is is from his creation, just as we know the cause is knowable from it's a fact, and you've already answered it. It simply seems to reduce to the assertion that's really dependent upon the aristituting epistemology and metaphysics a whole exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, m hm, very nice. Before let me just kind of add to that thought. So, you know, synergy is a way of knowing God, and it's uh, it's not it doesn't fit in one of those pigeon holes. You know, it's not natural reason, it's not revelation in the sense of the sort of body of propositional knowledge. It's experience. It's it's knowing God as the one who was present and active within you within the church, and knowing him the way you know your own activity. And so that's the kind of knowledge I think Saint Paul, you know, and some of those passages I mentioned is sort of speaking from you might say. And so there's there's a tendency to sort of pigeonhole wasting knowing God that I think can be very constricting. And in the New Testament there are not those pigeonholes. You know, God is present everywhere in all things, including in us, and and including in our activity.
Speaker 3: The word is near you, even in your heart exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 5: So I thought that now we would do a segue into perhaps both defenses of Tomism as the Siltinemism and revel and how that is in their view with revelation, as well as critiques of the Orthodox essence energy is distinction and related the old and these objections will get They will start simplistic and kind of what you might come across in the popular.
Speaker 6: Sphere of apologetic Sir Dr Bradshaw.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure how how familiar you are with that, but you'll see what it's like, and then it will get kind of more and more complex. And Father Deacon has some very much more complex ones. So one of the popular things going around.
Speaker 6: Now, this one's a bit more complicated the one's about.
Speaker 8: To go with.
Speaker 6: But this is very separate, it's very distinct.
Speaker 5: One of the popular things going around now is to try and say that the Scotistic formal distinction is the bridge almost between in a sense, perhaps Tomism and our conception of God and his activity. Could you please explain what a formal distinction is for people who may not be aware, and what your opinions are on that tempt.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, well that's that's an idea that's been around a long time. You know, some people think that George Scolario's advocated that. I think he actually didn't, but it has been attributed to him. So a formal distinction from scotis done. Scotis as I understand it. So that's where you have two things that can be defined separately that cannot exist, okay, and the difference between them is something that is based in the nature of the object, okay, even though they're not different parts. So here's some examples, something like let's see, well this may not be totally clear, but let's just try it. The soul and its faculties. I believe he says that those are formally distinct, So say, the soul and the capacity of reason, or the nutritive capacity and the faculty of sensation. That may not be a perfect example, because sometimes you know, some souls exist they don't have reason, right, their souls animal and vegetables soul. But at least in the case of a human being, you can't have the soul without all those faculties. And at the same time, the faculties don't exist without the soul. But they're defined totally in a way that totally distinct. Another example that he gives is being and other transcendentals like unity, truth, and goodness, which none of which can exist without the others, but they're all defined all right. So anyway, that's that's the idea in Scotus of what he calls a formal distinction. And I think there's a grain of truth to the idea that some of the energies you could see as being formally distinct from the divine essence, namely the ones that are eternal and necessary divine attributes like goodness and wisdom and power and so forth. A guy named Mark Spencer are all familiar with his work. He's a philosopher at the University of Saint Thomas, and he wrote a paper a couple of years ago in International Philosophic Quarterly that was arguing this. He's a he calls himself a Thomas. He's a very broad minded Thomas. And he said, well that that you really need the statistic formal distinction and you need the essence energy distinction. I'm sorry, he wasn't really arguing that the formal distinction ession. He wasn't arguing that the essence energy's distinction is a form of the formal distinction, just that you need them both. Well, let's see, So what do I think about that? As I said, it's not totally mistaken in that limited case. But you have to always bear in mind that there are many forms of the divine energy. They're the gifts of the spirit, you know, the Saint Paul talks about one Corinthians twelve. Those are and the fathers often called energies of the spirit. There are the divine logi that we were just talking about, the good divine and good acts of will by which God creates. There's the date and light. So sometimes people want to kind of shoehorn the essence energies distinction into this western issue or category of the divine essence and attributes. That's not what it's about. That's you know, some of the some of the energies are what we would call attributes, yes, but by no means all of them. And so what happens then is if you try to uh, kind of break off the ones that we call attributes and say, oh, those are formally distinct from the divine essence, well, then you've lost the unity of the concept the fact that the fathers refer to all of this broader class as divine energies, and you know that's important for them. You're what you're losing is that active dimension where what we call attributes actually are forms of self manifestation. And so I think it's it's not so much wrong as it is sort of a small minded, you know, way of thinking that the misses out on the real point that they're making the attributes.
Speaker 3: It's not like things you own. The attributes are in hypostatized. They're personal manifestations of it of a nature, of a divine nature. Right. So, even whether it's the logie, or whether it's God's love or God's justice or mercy, or whether it's the attributes that apply from all eternity or the attributes that apply to creation like foreknowledge, they're always in hypostatized and so therefore they're always first and foremost personal energies.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So they come hypostatically. But they but but because energy signifies nature, they show us they manifest divinity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they're they're hypostatic in the sense, you know, the fathers will use this expression that they issue from the Father or the center induspirit from the Father is the source sort of the fountain head, and then are brought to you know, realization by the sun and perfected by the spirit. Or they'll they'll have different ways of putting that, but they're they're kind of restating that point that Affamation Affinacious had made that every work of the of the Trinity is a joint work, and so there's synergy, you know, within the Trinity as well. And so anyway, the reason I mentioned that is because you can't ever look at one of the energies and say this is just the energy of the spirit. Not right. We call some of them energies of the spirit because that's biblical language, but we don't mean that the Father is not giving that gift. Of course he is. So that's the That's the only caution I would have about saying that their hype that they are sort of revealed the hypostasies. I don't think they reveal the distinction of the hypostasies per se, although all three of the hypostases are always active in any right, Well, let.
Speaker 3: Me qualify that because what I was, what I was getting at, was that so the Basil's triadic who from the Father, through the son and the spirit. As I understand it, it's true of the energies that are eternally manifested. It's true of the energies that apply to creation. It's true of the action of creation. It's also true of the movement of redemption. So this is how you can have each hypostasy in the in the in the triad have a unique role not just in creation but also in redemption.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So the father sends the son, but only the son enters into the mode of being incarnate. So there's there's roles that each person plays, but there's one. The energy itself that's that's acted is one, but it's brought into reality or manifested by each hypostasis in a unique way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good good. Well, you may remember in the book I try to give an analogy for that of a husband and wife who jointly give a gift, though you know, life went out about it and the husband paid for or what have you. They can do different things that are jointly constituting the single act.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is also important too. I would add, just to add on to that, is that if we understand eternal manifestation, not that I'm claiming to understand out. But it's an important distinction that's missing in Roman Catholic theology and dogmatics most of the time, unless perhaps a UNI acknowledges this. But most of the time it's not there because the docrine of eternal manifestation is part and parcel with the idea of the essence energy sinction and a distinction between different types of you know, the eternal energies or attributes and the attributes that apply to the created order. So likewise, if you have that understanding, you could then see how it's possible that some of the energies manifest from all eternity, from the Father through the Son, in the spirit as well. But at the same time there's different types of actions that also manifesto tritic way, but only relate to the created order. And this is always a big hang up when you're arguing with the Roman Catholic because they don't make that energetic manifestation distinction. But that's necessary to not confuse something like the action of love with a hypostasis. So all I was trying to say is that every energy is triadically manifested in a personal way, but we have to say that for example, Singragya Palmos, when he explains how there is a sense in which we can call the spirit the love between the father and the son, he says that only applies at the level of energetic manifestation. In no way does it identify that the energy of love which is common to father, son and spirit with the spirit. He's only speaking in the sense of eternal manifestation.
Speaker 4: So starting with some some.
Speaker 5: Low hanging fruits, I guess the reason why these are going to sound a bit because they all on the popular sphere, so people would really like to see how a scholar responds to these. So the first one is kind of more something that would come from like a hier critic. They would ask, well, given this, and Gregor Palomas relies so much on Dionysius because Dionysius is called Pseudodonysius and therefore an apocryphal source, does this not undermine the continuity of the theology from the apostles?
Speaker 4: H Well, you know, I argue in the book that a lot of what's in Dionysius is already there in the Capitoceans, you know, just different terminology. In fact, that's why later authors like Palomas found it so natural to incorporate this, you know, the Dynastian approach into sort of a sort of a larger synthesis that also includes the Cappit Oceans and and other there's people like Maximus et cetera. Because the ideas are so similar, the terminology is often different. You know, I read the passage from Basil Epistle two thirty four Essence and energy Dinysius, it's more often sort of the cooper ussios Ussia the essence beyond essence and then the divine processions. Okay, so he uses that word procession protos that is not there in earlier others. But what he says about or what he uses that word to say, turns out to be very similar. And so you know, I've written a lot about this sort of what's what each one of these fathers is sort of adding in the sense of sort of taking a given idea, carrying it a little further, adding more unity, more comprehensiveness to the to the vocabulary. Dinasius is really just one further step in that process. But he's by no means a sort of a radical break. The more you read the cap of Oceans, you more they realize that, well, a lot of those so called neoplatonic ideas are really already there. So you know, that's my short answer, I think a long answer. You just have to read these texts, these primary texts, in chronological order for yourself, you know, and you'll see that gradual unfolding take place.
Speaker 7: So this is the next you want plenty of time to do by away, guys, now that you're all quarantine, I want all of you to get started on and we'll provide the list of books for you to read.
Speaker 5: I wish I was quarantined, but yeah, So the next low, low hanging one is well. In the Triads, Sint Gregor Balamas seems to recognize, recommend very specific breathing techniques quote unquote, focusing on the navel and what is often plementally called self worship or compared with the yoga.
Speaker 6: How would you respond to this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, he actually, if you read the Triads, he doesn't really recommend them for the reader. He simply says, you know, yes, these are things that we do with the monks of Mount Autos, and we found them helpful. But he's not by no means saying therefore you should go do this. You know, these were practices that had developed through you know, and may perhaps you might say trial and error, or at least sort of the accumulation of experience over many years. But they require a personal instruction, and I think he'd be the first to agree that they could be dangerous if practice the wrong way. And you know, Barlin apparently had talked to some monks. I don't think he ever actually visited Mount Athos, but he's he talked to some monks who are from Anautos and heard them talking about different colors of light, and apparently some colors of light, as he understood what they were saying, or sort of indicate the divine light, and some were demonic, and he ridicules this. Palamas, I don't I don't recall it. Palamus talks about it directly, but he doesn't, you know, he doesn't go into that because those are matters for personal knowledge and experience. Uh, sort of the kind of thing that's passed down from an older monk to a disciple, and by no means meant to be sort of universally practiced by all Christians because they're just too dangerous. And you know, even some of the later Heseikus in Russia will tell you that, And so anyway, I hope that's That's kind of what I would say is, well, he's not saying, therefore go do this.
Speaker 6: This is the last one. Well that's sorry. Two more asking a bunch for the sack of time.
Speaker 8: I guess.
Speaker 6: One one which was a concern to me, which.
Speaker 5: Was confusing to me, and I think a lot of people, is this idea of uncreated energies.
Speaker 6: That have a beginning, and how how does how is this is? Does this mean that.
Speaker 5: Uncreatedness and eternality are separable in reality?
Speaker 6: And how does this not imply some kind of.
Speaker 5: Mutability on God's part? I know we did a cover of this earlier, but yeah, I am curious about that, and that is an apologetic an argument often used.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well, uh, it does mean I think that not everything uncreated is a terminal. So, as I mentioned, you know, the energies of the spirit or the gifts of the spirit clearly are not eternal because they're given to creatures who themselves are not eternal. Right, So the gift of prophecy, for instance, you know, that's not eternal. Human beings haven't always existed, and certainly the particular ones who were given this gift, the gift of I don't know, spiritual discernment, gift of healing. Those are our energies of the spirit. And and if you look first Corinthians twelve, Saint Paul uses the word and entergamental. You know that that's that's why the fathers come to call them that way. Another example that they use, the Briga palamask uses is the act of creation itself. That isn't a divine energy. It's something God does that manifests his character is nature. But clearly it's not eternal because you know, you read Genesis and God rested on the seventh day, so it began and it ended. And now of course God maintains creation in existence. That's true as well, but that's not the same as the act of creating its described in Genesis. So that's why not everything that is not everything uncreated has to be eternal, right?
Speaker 5: What was the second part of the question was, it's just how, how how this doesn't have some kind of mutability on God's part. I think a struggle for people is because when people think of uncreated, they think of something that is eternal, because to be created, I mean, Quitta says this to be creative is to have beginning in time, I think, so, how yeah, it seems to because the divine engines of God. It seems to be that the critique is that it's a mutability, will change and violence. God's im mutability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it doesn't because God is eternal. But He's perfectly capable of acting in time and revealing himself differently in different ways in different times. And that's what the energies are, you know, they're they're divine acts that manifest God and that in which we can share and so or at least many of them, not all of them, but things like the energies of the spirit and even the uncreated light. But you know, that's just basic Christianity, that God the eternal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, every one of the Theophanes right kind of answers this question that, I mean, the thought theovines were specific to time and location. And this is raised by Acandnos to to Saint Gregory, and he says that he appeals back to Dynastius, and he says that God transcends the logical categories such that he's not bound by the either or dialectics of what's normative for created logic, you could say, so God is can enter into and undergo in some limited notion a type of change, while at the same time he transcends change. I mean, every every incarnate action of Christ would be negated if there could be no temporal specific actions of God. I mean Christ manifested the divine energy and his divine power when he changed water to wine. Right, walking on water is an action specific to time and space. That is clearly I mean, Sir John Mascus says that signifies his divinity. So if we if we negate these tim poral actions, which are uncreated because they're actions of God, but they are specific to time and space, then we really remove the possibility of incarnation and God acting and within time and space at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that leads into one of my questions that I'd like the doctor Bradshaw to answer. And let's Lewis you had another question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just the last one was the idea of the the people. Will a lot of POI press on this idea of the upper and the lower divinity of the Upper the lower Godhead, and how God's essence even transcends to an infinite degree and an infinite number of times, even his eternal, uncreated energies, and they will say, well, this is polytheism because you have two gods basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well that that that became a huge issue between Palamos and a Kindonos, and it's to my mind, it's kind of it was a fixation that a Kingdonos had that if you actually look at the texts, he he misrepresents what Palamas said, and he totally he just never seems to grasp that what Palamus actually said was simply repeating what's already there in Maximus and Dionysius. In fact, if anything, Colamus kind of tones it down. But you have in Maximus in the you know, the Theological Chapters on Theology and Economy, book one, section forty eight to fifty, there's a really key discussion of what Maximus calls the uncreated works of God. And they're what we would call divine attributes of things like goodness and power and wisdom. But he calls them works of God that were not created, and he says that God infinitely transcends them, okay, and even he calls God their creator, their demi ourgos. And so that's where Paula Musk, you know, takes that phrase because what Maximus is referring to as these uncreated works of God he identifies as among the divine energies. And you know, there's a as I mentioned, there are a number of different terms the Greek fathers will use things around. God is one of them, and and that's essentially what what Maximus is talking about in that passage. Well, okay, and then Dionysius also, he's the one he uses the word theot's divinity as a name of a divine procession, and Palamas again is identifying the processions as among the energies. Well, so, anyway, I've written about this. I have an article that's forthcoming goes into all the textual detail, but a kind of nose is just frankly, he was kind of thick headed or else just you know, so stubborn. It's just unbelievable because he kept coming back to this and Palomas had to explain it over and over and over. You know, that's not what I said. That's not what I said, that's not what I said. So anyway, but again, it's one of those things that if you read these sources in chronological orders. As I mentioned, Dionysi the Cappadocians Dinysius Maximus Palomas. You'll see that everything Palamas says is just following in the division exactly.
Speaker 7: Prog Yeah, So, kind of picking up on the second to last question, if on the Latins absolute divine simplicity doctrine, if God's energies are really just his essence, because they'll speak about that, but they just identify with his essence.
Speaker 8: Then, as a quit As claims, if He's not to.
Speaker 7: Enter into a central compositional creatures when he just remained shut up in himself and not be able to energize creation in the manner that Saint Paul talks about.
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah, that's what I think.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 4: Next question, that's where the whole necessity for created grace comes from. In Aquinas, you know that you don't have the possibility of a real participation in the divine energy, and so what can you do? You know, there's this created similitude that he God kind of bestows upon a creature, but it's not the same as that synergetic participation in the divine life.
Speaker 7: Also, a previous question I had when we were talking about Aristotle, because Aquitas is going to pick up on this, so we have basically two places in Aristotol you'd mentioned in the Physics and his the kind of first Mover, but then in Metaphysics book Lambda, chapter six, where he talks about that kind of defines God not only whose essence is pure actuality, but self thinking thought in pure actuality.
Speaker 8: What's puzzling is, well.
Speaker 7: How does he bridge these kind of two concepts such that thought thinking upon itself can actually be the cause of the physical motion of the planets and the heavens. Do you think that Aristotle ever solves that and that does it become a problem in scholasticism?
Speaker 4: Uh? Well, you know That's what chapter two of the book is about, where I try to tease out what is Aristotle's answer to this very puzzling question, how does self thinking thought cause motion? And the best I can make of it is that that key idea again of the identity of fault with its object means that the prime mover is identical with the fully realized forms of all natural entities. And Aristotle's teleology, you know, understands every natural process as some as a natural entity seeking to realize its form in some way. That includes both the growth of living things, you know, the acorn growing of the ooak and also the motion of the of the of the four elements, because when earth fault moves toward the center of the cosmos is seeking to real lies. It's Tellos being at the center. So you know, if you sort of incorporate all that, then you can see how it's at least plausible or makes sense in the air staty in worldview that yes, the prime mover is self thinking thought causes all natural motion. I do think there's an issue even in Aristotle, well, what about human free choice or what Aristotle call rational potencies, which are in the ability to do a or not a what causes one or the other? You know, this is the sort of thing that the liveness it's you know, gotten right well, and Aristotle really just doesn't ever address that question other than just to say what we do or it's our choice, which is fine, But then isn't there a kind of motion that isn't caused by the first member? Right?
Speaker 7: I mean this kind of sets up a problem that Aerostol has the kind of cosmos of necessity, and it makes it difficult to kind of parse these issues that you raise about human choice and freedom possibly within those.
Speaker 8: Kind of restraints.
Speaker 4: It's very striking when you read Aristotle. He's just not bothered by a lot of questions I think we would be bothered by because he's a pre Christian author, you know, And as mentioned earlier that in Christianity, the spontaneity of God is a fundamental belief, and then man is made in the image of God, and so in Christianity that element of human spontaneity, the ability to act in a way that simply expresses your character without being determined by any external prior cause, that's really fundamental. And Aristotle just doesn't have that kind of a view of who we are, and certainly not of our relation to God. And for that matter, it doesn't have that view of God, right, the Prime Mover doesn't have that kind of spontaneity of free choice. So that's why I think he's just kind of not alive or or awake to these issues in the way that we are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a that's a great lead off to the next question, because I mean, if you in studying Aquinas, who's drawing from Aristotle on these issues, when we start thinking about God's act of will, that Aquinas articulates this within his kind of conception of absolutely divine simplicity, that God's act of will is conditioned by God's essence, nothing else.
Speaker 8: There's no terminus.
Speaker 7: Outside of God's essence, which serves us some sort of cause. But then that would appear that, well, God's not completely free and unconditioned in the full sense.
Speaker 8: But it seems as in the case with the Orthodox conception of God, and that the essence and energies.
Speaker 7: And that God's not even bound by in any conditioned sense, or referring back to his essence to freely will through the logo to create gives us a more robust and completely unconditioned and free God in the full sense of the meaning.
Speaker 8: Would you agree with that? And how would you expect the Thomas to respond to that?
Speaker 4: Well? You know, so, I think one place where we do agree with the Thomas is that God necessarily wills the good, you know ready in Hebrews chapter six, right that there God cannot be false to himself. He can't square both falsely. So there's not this voluntarist idea that something is good.
Speaker 8: Just by God willing it whimsically.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, So that I think is sort of the opposite extreme that we should avoid so, and the and the Capitocians say this very openly or explicitly, that God necessarily does will and good. But the thing is that there are many ways of being good, in many forms the good can take. And you know, they're thinking largely, I think, in platonic terms, where you have the form of the good, and then just think of all the vast array of images of that form, the things that participate in the form, the different you know, finite forms of good, how different they are. Right, And God is free in that he can realize, you know, this infinite array of different kinds of good things, and there are all ways in which He expresses and manifests his own goodness and a lot of that. I think all of that the Thomas would agree, and I think we have common ground. The difficulties arise because again it's as you mentioned earlier, you know, identifying then the divine will and the divine operation with the divine essence, you you kind of end up locked into a box where the essence can't be different, right, So how can the will be different? How can the operation different?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Exactly, Yeah, So that's that's that's good. Great, you pass on that Okay, next test, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 7: So one thing that might be a concern for US Eastern Orthodoxy is that to see that the West might be placing a premissey or even superiority of the one over the many, essence over personhood, and as a result, we would worry that maybe let's just returning to the same problems of Greek essentialism.
Speaker 8: And if that's so, wouldn't this lead if we committed.
Speaker 7: Ourselves as far as our theological projects, to this kind of embracing the premise youre superior of the one over the many and essence over personhood. Well, if we carry that out in various ways, isn't that exactly what leads to the numerous heresies that we see in history.
Speaker 4: Well, but I think we'd have to have a whole further two hour discussion to, you know, to tease that out. And I know, people like Metropolitans, Azulus, you know, have said a lot about how person cannot be reduced to nature and so forth, and I think there's some truth to that, but I do think often the ways is you know, people have tried to articulate it, including in his case, are either unclear or just not well grounded than the fathers.
Speaker 7: Ultimately, well that's because he spent too much time doing continental philosophy.
Speaker 3: Yeah his approach, I kid, I kid, yeah, I don't know. I mean, well, he does have a heavily philosophic approach, I mean in terms of because I've got being a communion and metropolitan orrotheos has I think a pretty good treatise on nature in person. But I mean, we know that a person has to in some sense not just be a concretization or instantiation of nature, because if it was, we would be modalists, right, The Father of the Son and the Spirit would just be sort of instantiations of the divine nature. They are instantiations of the divine nature. But there really is something unique about the you know, hypostasis of the sun that in some way transcends just merely an instantiation of nature. Which is why, as some people have argued, I would say, you know, our I think just surfrom Hamilton has a good point about this that you know, if it was just a participation in divine nature that we were experiencing or looking for here, then we wouldn't be called sons. But the fact that we are called sons means that we are participating in a relationship that is hypostatic. Right, It's the logos the person, second person that God had that adopts us, and so therefore we are made sons, and therefore it's a personal participation. It's not just an essentialist participation. And so therefore a person is more than just an instantiation of nature, even if we can't give like a perfect, you know, sort of philosophical scientific definition of what a hypostasis is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good way to kind of tease out what was implicit in that question. Thank you too.
Speaker 3: What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Doctor, Yeah, yeah, I think that's that's well said. I don't know if you know the work of Father Nicolaus Ludovicos, but he has a book on Saint Maximus where he he kind of develops the theme of what he calls a diological reciprocity that you know I mentioned earlier, how our each of us, our logos is something that we have to realize through our own free action, and the way Maximus understands that it's never a sort of a one and done sort of thing. You're always engaged in this dialogue with God in which your free acts are responding to the good that He presents to you. And even when you refuse that good, he is still He's going to present to you another form of the good, right, And that's sort of just his way of presenting this fact that we're always called to repent, we're always called to seek God, are closer to Him no matter where we are in our lives. So there's this continual dialogue between each person in God, and that's what constitutes us as persons.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I think it's you're never going to find a single definition or a single term that really encapsulates everything there because it's it's sort of the whole of the Christian life. So anyway, I would agree, and I think the ideas of as a personhood is absolutely central in the whole tradition. But the term is not that these terms like hypostasis and prosiphon, they have distinct meanings, you know, and we have to have to be careful to respect what they actually meant within a given context, and which not all the burden of sort of the concept of person who had asked to what rest on any yeah, individual term?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, Father Fluorowsky and Father stun Eloy have pretty good, in my view, extensive discussions of hypostasis. I mean, I think Experience of God is really good in terms of how he deals with it. I think he does try to ground it in a patteristic mindset because he is, you know, very critical of Tomism in that in that uh that series.
Speaker 5: This father is standalalie, yeah, yeah, father, and I did you have the kind of top end sophisticated Tomist critique?
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, okay that you're they going to get a little bit more complex, so bear with me.
Speaker 8: So we've already spoken about.
Speaker 7: Is a Tomistic notion divine simplicity compatible with divine freedoms? We spoke a little bit about that. If we answer no, there's a certain critique of our position that states, well, if the energies could have been different from what they in fact are, then, according to the Tomis, then there'd be a reason.
Speaker 8: Why they are as they in fact are.
Speaker 7: Thus there would be some, as they understand it, contingent cause which would account for the divine energy being multiplied in creatures in the way in a way, not in another way.
Speaker 8: How would we respond to this this criticism.
Speaker 4: Well, it sounds to me, if I understand the idea sort of like an argument not against our viue, it's an argument against any belief in free will. You know, free will, by its nature just is the spontaneous the ability to act spontaneously in a way that's not determined by any prior cause. And if we have that, certainly God has it. In fact, we have it because God has it. That's that's part of what makes us in the image of God. And so I think granted that there's not any additional problem, you know, with understanding some of the divide energies to be free. That's simply sort of given in and understanding God to be free. So I mean there's something I'm missing.
Speaker 8: In the in the no no, I think that. I think that's a good uh. And again, I think a lot of this comes down to.
Speaker 7: Once you kind of put yourself in a certain kind of metaphysical box with terms and concepts restricted in such and such a way, then you kind of set up your own problems and it becomes impossible to kind of answer these questions. But if you know, as in the Orthodox notion, you have a lot more fluidity, Like a stand away says, you know, the Orthodox Church never embraced any one philosophical project or metaphysics, and therefore it is free to be able to use the truth of philosophy. That gives us, I think, a much more robust freedom to be able to articulate what's been received in divine revelation without getting into these kind of apparreas and problems.
Speaker 8: Good, yeah, and one, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was just good to say. It's been over two hours, so we probably should.
Speaker 3: Ye, we're coming down to the end here. Yeah, thank you for your time. We'll go ahead. We'll go ahead and let you go because I know you've got probably other stuff you've got to do, but you've been very gracious and maybe we can get you back in the future when you're free, and we won't and we'll try to hold you so long.
Speaker 4: Oh, no problem. Yeah, I just I'm thinking there are probably listeners out there who are maybe nearly as exhausted as I am.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 8: Don't worry about them. Worry about yourself, all right.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been a pleasure talking to you guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Doctor Bradshaw was great and I hope to see you soon. And it was wonderful seeing you. What was that last month and wonderful having you on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an honor to meet you.
Speaker 6: Well, it was a great honor to meet you.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I hope we can, Lewis, I hope we can meet in person one of these.
Speaker 8: Days, but otherwise hoping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I do go to England every now and then. You know, they have that great Patristics conference at Oxford every four years, and I make that.
Speaker 6: Every four years.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, yeah, well you other times too. There's the Eyeways like it's like.
Speaker 7: Like a fifth of my life, or doctor Bradshaw, we just will just put together a conference and have it over there and round every all those scholars up well and excused to see Lewis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, thank you, Doc Brutshaw. It has been great. And everybody be sure and get a copy of Aristotle East and West. As you see, I have that linked in my show page. You go to my website, you'll see the links there to his book. And have a good night, doctor Brushaw.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, blessed evening.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, good talking to you.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you Lewis and father Deacon. Can you stay around for super chats or you guys got to go?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I'll be up.
Speaker 7: I can stay for another three hours. If all of you in the chat are willing to stick.
Speaker 6: With me on this, I stay for another one.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's get to the super chest, So John Alice for ten dollars. Since God's lucie is beyond ussia, actuality, and potentiality, is it also correct that God's energy is beyond energy, actuality, and potentiality Or are these categories properly applied to God's energy? No, So, the what we speak of as beyond is God in himself, right, God in his essence, what he is in himself is what's beyond. But when we speak of potentialities, when we speak of energies and actions, those are in relation to creation. So they are beyond us in the sense of that even those are divine and actions uncreated. But they're also in a sense knowable and interactable others. We can participate in those things. So I would not say that that the energies themselves are beyond energies. I would say that that doesn't make any sense. Although there are energies and works that we don't even know about. Some of the fathers do say that, I don't know if anybody has any other question, any statements on that. Yeah, Jeff Jablonski, what's up five bucks? What's the difference between Ussia and Fusis? That would have been a great question for Broadshaw, since he has sort of the technical specifications when it comes to the linguistic differences. I would just simply say that as the theology crystallizes in the east nothing, it eventually is not distinguished.
Speaker 6: Well, I it's funny, me and father and I we were listening to this long.
Speaker 5: Stream night and I think I have an answer here, but you guys can correct me here because I think I in actuality as such, they're not distinct, that's synonymous. But the word nature kind of picks out a different aspect that essence does. So essence would pick out kind of what what a thing is, that that what makes the thing is, but nature would kind of pick out perhaps the activity of that thing.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure that I'm pretty sure is Dona Mascus says that they're the same. They're just used the same.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know the same, but I'm saying that.
Speaker 8: The same notionally same.
Speaker 7: So ontologically the reference which they refer to is ontologically the same, but they have different notions within the mind of I e. Connotations maybe a little bit different, nuanced, exactly squashed out.
Speaker 3: Are we talking about in our theology or to Montoism or what where are we talking about this? Because I mean, I'm not trying to be contrary. I'm just I'm pretty sure save oh.
Speaker 8: I was actually just no, Yah, donalds it is no difference. I was actually just thinking of.
Speaker 7: There might be do you think within the connotation of fusus or nature versus ousia.
Speaker 8: But the same They're referring to the same thing. But what it it is of a being.
Speaker 3: There is a section where Donnamscus touches on this, but I think he comes to the conclusion that really there's not it's not it's not that big of it. There might be different people who used it in specific ways, but what we intend is the same thing. Jeff Doblonski For ten dollars, she says, question two is God's is God's energy and actualization of the nature or the essence? Is this how we partake of the nature? And second Peter one four? But the ushi remains transcendent. Remember that the actualization is always brought into actualization by persons, right, So it's not just an essence that's actualizing. It's a person with an essence actualizing. That's the key thing here. And that's why we always say that the actions of God are in hypostatized. So I would say that that's the first answer there, and then the part about second Peter one four Are we partakers of the divine nature? Yes, through the divine energies, but not directly God's essence. So yes and no. You know, one comments on that. There's a great book on that. By the way, The Deification of Man touches on that, if you want to read the classic Father manser Rites. That's what I was holding up during the interview. He he touches on all that in not too long of a treatise. Jeff again five bucks. Does the Osis relate to Saint Maximus's appeal to Aristotle dividing Fusis into ushia and potentiality and actuality? Again, I don't think that eventually. I don't think that. So maybe Father Deacon he's talking about Aristotle divides Fusis into usia, potentiality, actuality.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Does Aristol do that?
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Actually, Okay, I don't think Saint Maximus would do that, because I think by Saint Maximus and Saint John A. Mascus, this time fussis and usha begin to be used in the same way. I could be there could be a technical section or maximism, but I don't know. If you read the one hundred chapters, excuse me, two hundred chapters, you'll see at the beginning, within the first ten pages, he'll say, in what sense we use aerosol and what since we don't so? And he actually addresses that very sense in which God is first cause and not first cause, first principle and not first principal. Russian Anime bought five dollars. Here is some Dugan dollar for comrad bless blessings from Putin and Dugan to you. Russian Anime book Palmer, Eric, Palmer l Rick fifteen dollars, Great talk, guests, Thank you, gentlemen, Thank you very much, Palmer el Rick. Who's next? Nicodemus the Pharisee? Five dollars? Can you expand on the Theophanes? Are they uncreated divine forms?
Speaker 4: In a way?
Speaker 3: Yes, they are uncreated manifestations of God. They're hypostatic. I wouldn't necessarily say their forms if you mean do they come in some form within time and space? Yes? How is that possible? Because God transcends the logical categories and he can step into time and space. And every time somebody says that he can't do that, they're denying the incarnation. Do they detract from the incarnation if they aren't angelic special effects? No, They, as the Eastern Fathers consistently argue, are intimations of the incarnation. They pre signify and prepare mankind for the incarnation because they are the pre incarnate logos. They're not angelic holograms. They're worshiped. You can't worship angels or creatures. You can only worship God. They are worshiped. They are the logos. There's no question in the Eastern Fathers about that consistently, so the Theophanes again ahead, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And this is only a problem when you commit to thistlicity model, since that you since the absolute divine simple essence cannot enter into to nature and be composed and composite. And this is really a problem I was trying to hit on earlier with this kind of tension in the West between the one and the many.
Speaker 8: Yes, so that's what Jay's talking about. Transcends the logical.
Speaker 7: Uh laws, particularly I mean God's you know, contradicting himself. But there's a part of logic that's uncreated and then created within you know, the human symbols. Obviously, Aristotle develops and what you start to see the development within logic starting from Aristotle is this kind of tension between the one and many that plagues Western philosophy. And so then it becomes well, then how could you know the absolute one, you know, divine simple essence enter into.
Speaker 6: The world.
Speaker 3: Well, that's not a problem for us is not subject, he's not subject to the antonomis and the logical contraries, is what Palema says. Correct, correct, Wu ladd two dollars. Do the logie have a more real existence than the sensibles. Sensibles are would all have their own logie. But the logie are just the archetypes, patterns, principles, predeterminations, and divine ideas behind the created order. That's all they are. So they're also thought wills, right. They only relate to the created world. They're not identical to the essential eternal attributes of God. They only relate to the created order. They are uncreated, they're divine ideas. It is a form of divine conceptualism. It is a form of exemplarism, but not the same as the Western view, which sticks them in the divine essence. Sat Maximus makes them personal, It makes them relate to the Logos who brings them into being. Right again, as we heard from doctor Bradshaw, from the Father through the Son in the spirit, as you've heard me say consistently, and so the Logos has the role of bringing them into being. If you want the biblical sense for this, look at what Paul's talking about Colossians. The lug doctrine, the Logi doctrine is not some philosophy. It's in Paul. Paul says that everything came to be, and it's sustained in being and is being brought to being by the Logos. So you have the creating of the creative world on the pattern of the Logi. You have the sustaining of being to the Logos brought to perspection in the spirit.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So Father is the initiator, the Son brings them into being. The Spirit perfects this. This the creation. That's a triadic mode that I just read from Saint Maximus in the Questions and doubts that threefold structure of reality, he says, mirrors the triad. And so I wouldn't say that the logi have any sort of more real or less real existence. They're just the patterns, principles, archetypes, predeterminations, divine ideas, thought, wills of the created order, and God didn't have to bring them to be so for the number seven or any other kind of universal or whatever principle or me or you, there's an individual logi for each one of those things. Universals also have it logi. But universals are created. We are created, right, and we're created on the pattern of uncreated patterns, you see, So hopefully that's helpful. Scandinavian sunset twenty dollars ninety nine in California Bucks or Canadian Bucks. Thank you, Thank you for your work. Jay. With the anaphora of Adi and Mari, I guess you're talking to the stream that we did with David, where we talked about the David the real metright, some of the problems in the uniate system where they will do they will reference Nestorian and these kinds of anaphras which don't really make sense. So yeah, that's probably I guess that's what you're talking about Scandinavian sunset. I'm not sure, Nicodemus the pharisee two dollars. Due created energies exist before they began. They didn't have a beginning. They are uncreated, right, So uncreated things are not the logie, do not exist. They're always in the mind of God, but they're not brought into reality unless God decides to create.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So this is the point, is that God can have all kinds of ideas that he doesn't bring into actuality. That's not really possible in the Roman Catholic scheme you see on the basis of their doctrine of divine ideas. So I don't think it makes sense to talk about uncreated energies existing before they began or begin. It's a nonsense question, because did the incarnation happen before it began? I mean, that's a retarded question. Email surrec twenty dollars. Is there an official Orthodox position on the composition of human nature? Is it bipartit or tripartite? Saint Paul seems to be clear on the matter. Saint John Damascus in many places favor as the former. It's tripartite, but when you understand that the news is actually the integration of the mind into the heart. The news, it's not a third thing on top of it's the mind being reintegrated into the heart. So the mental, intellectual faculty and the heart are just different aspects of the soul. So John Damascus does mention the news. In fact, he's not a So that's how you reconcile these two positions, because there's the news, is the mind functioning in unison and synergy with the heart, So it's not a third other thing, you see. So that's how those two positions are reconciled. And John Demascus does mention the news, but he mentions it as the intellect. But the intellect in terms of the way Saint Gregor Palomas conceives of is that the intellect is reintegrated into the heart. You see, this is something that happens after the fall. I would say that if you read the Saint Justin Popovich s on Isaac the Syrian, his theory of Knowledge, where he talks about the Logi and the noose, that will resolve this question. But good question. I've had that same We had that question in the discord actually the other day Lewis raised it justin s Dan ten dollars, catching the tail end of this off topic. Can you speak on the life confession before baptism. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: I think, well, it's not a universal practice in the church, but I went through a life confession. It's essentially just so it's it's for those of you that don't know anything about this, because do you.
Speaker 3: Mean where you confess all your life, all your sins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you confessed like you do, like a broad confession of your sins in your life, but you don't receive like sacramental absolution because the baptism is the you knowchnical absolution. So it's just kind of a it's just kind of the motions of repentance.
Speaker 8: It's not like I did.
Speaker 7: I did as a one before ordination too, not that that's a universal thing to do, but my priest wanted me to so once before baptism and once before ordination, just to clean out all the cob webs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just kind of a recapitulation.
Speaker 6: In a sense. I guess.
Speaker 3: That's good gen Z philosophy. Two dollars. He says, uh, oh, justin Sam says, Catholic friends are confused on why I would have to do that. When I joined the Catholic Church, we did that. We did a full on lifetime quote confession.
Speaker 8: So and by the way, we are Catholic, you mean Roman Catholic?
Speaker 3: Ye workout exactly.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 5: I also wouldn't use the Catholic mode of reception of converts or baptism as like a standard either, because I don't know as far as I'm aware that a lot of stuff is and a few things have been cut out that are in the Byzantine right down in the Catholic right.
Speaker 3: Gen Z philosophy two dollars did the human image?
Speaker 9: Yeah, go ahead, Hell, where's we have a big fifty dollars? Oh yeah, well, I'm super chat.
Speaker 8: We can't we can't leave.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Yeah, So they didn't say anything. It says warm soda fifty dollars. My bad. So I didn't see okay, I didn't see any text as well.
Speaker 8: Just a big big thank you to absolutely Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: So much Warm Soda. Much appreciate it, and I'm sorry for overlooking that. Gen Z philosophy two dollars to the human image of Jesus appear in the Old Testament. No, because Christ was not incarnate as a human yet. So mankind, I think you could argue, many fathers say, is in a sense made in the image of the Logos. There is a triadic aspect to mankind's creation. Sat Maximus says this, So in a way you could see the creation of Adam as intimating the incarnation. But Jesus did not have a human nature yet, because he took that from Adam. So I don't think there would be any sense in saying that Jesus had a human image when he appeared as the Logos. Those were Theophanes. Theophanes are somewhat mysterious, but yet nevertheless they occurred, and we believe it on the basis of revelation. So when the Logos appeared within time and space, he wrestled with with Jacob. Right, So how'd that happened, I don't know, but it did.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So Nicodemus, a pharisee two dollars, was Christ's created body worshiped by the magi. This is solved by Saint Cyril of Alexandria at the Council of Ephesus, which is that we worship the whole Christ with one worship. So the whole Christ hypostatically unite it both natures is worshiped in the incarnation. We don't separate the worship or adoration of Christ.
Speaker 9: That would be to fall like Nestorius. Yeah, that would be to be anus orient correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because we do believe in a kind of mea physis.
Speaker 5: Correctly, as if you watch the real Medwife. He goes into this real depth. The natures are only distinguished after the nature, after the union in the in the mind, in the mind right. But what we what we interact with an experience, is the whole Christ.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and St. Cyril makes this argument on the basis of the Eucharist uh in against Mystorias. He says, are you eating the flesh of just a dude or are you partaking of the body of the god Man and therefore the uncreated energies of the god Man that have been transferred to the human nature and thus the Eucharist.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Roman Catholics, you don't eat the essence of God, all right? So anything anybody want to leave us with, be sure and subscribe to Father, Deacon doctor Ananias, be sure and get your copy of Aerosol East and West. It's a really crucial text on this issue. Anything you guys want to leave us with failure, I said, be sure to subscribe to Father Diagon doctor Ananias. Is there anything that you guys want to want to leave us with? And I'll put your channel in the in the description.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: Let me know, guys if.
Speaker 7: You want me to do the third lecture series of the Logic of course this upcoming week. I didn't want to stress everybody out with too much too fast, and blessed Lan, make sure you keep upers for everybody. Think of others instead of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're when you're smashing people over the head to get the toilet paper in the cost code, be sure to think of others.
Speaker 8: And when you do, think about the arguments that we just did in this video and let the people know.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, have a good night, God bless thank you very Lloch stupid. Yes we've got one more from gen Z philosophy. He says, thank you for the answer. Here are some super jaggles, uh, blessed Lint and thank you much appreciated. All right, everybody have a good night.
Speaker 8: Thank you, blessing Night
Speaker 3: All right, that was based