Speaker 1: Anyone Juice Everything Podcast. Hello and welcome the All Eighties Movies Podcast, the podcast where we talk about the blockbusters, the flops, and everything in between from one of the precious decades from movies, the nineteen eighties. I'm your host Phil bet Long Beyond this journey revisiting eighties movies is my co host Jason Massek. Hello, Jason, Remember missus farmer. Whenever you buy a house, whatever's in the ground belongs to you, whether it's gold or oil or Claude Muscleman. That's right, listeners, we are discussing with spoilers of plenty, the nineteen eighty eight Fish out of Water comedy Funny Farm. It was produced by Film Futures and distributed by Entertainment Film Distributors. Movie stars Chevy Chase and Madeline Smith. Directed by George roy Hill, This movie's right at PG with a running time of one hour and forty one minutes. This movie was adapted from the nineteen eighty five comedic novel of the same name by Jay Cronley. So what is this movie about? What's on the box if you grow up in the nineteen eighties, and what's your local video store to rend this movie. You would fine this description on the back of the VHS box. It is what's on the box. Take it away, Jason.
Speaker 2: When chevy Chase plays a Manhattan sportswriter who abandons his career for life in the country, you know that getting away from it all will inevitably mean Chevy's getting in deeper, and that the serenity of smalltown USA will hilariously turn into a city slickers nightmare. Funning Farm delivers the gut busting fund you expect from chevy Chase. National Lampoon's Vacation, National Lampoon's European Fagation. Fletch Spies Like Us and The Three Amigos tops It's performances in all those films with his pratt falling portrayal of urban transplant Andy Farmer. Madeline Smith co stars as Andy's supportive wife. Together, the Funny Farmers learned that the eccentric people and events of their new hometown outnumber even the mosquitoes. The postman guns along the back roads like mad Max. The sheriff travels nowhere without a chauffeur. Gruesome discoveries turn up in the garden and pond, and Andy becomes the punchline of the movie's rowdiest gag when he unsuspectingly brags call me mister lamb Fryes call Funny Farm. Endlessly entertaining, filled with comic delights. It also features the buoyant direction of George roy Hill, a vibrant Elmer Bernstein score, and the lush cinematography of Miroslav Underchek. Harvest the good times from Funny Farm.
Speaker 1: Funny Farm, So that was what's on the box. Let's move on to her eighty snapshot as we highlight some of the creative forces from this movie.
Speaker 2: Jason. For my eighties snapshot, I chose Jeffrey Boom, the screenwriter of Funny Farm. Jeffrey Bohm, writer and producer from Rochester, New York. Here's a little trivia actually from IMDb about Jeffrey Boem. Before becoming a successful screenwriter, he actually worked as a studio executive for many years. I never knew that Boem's films that he wrote screenplays for have a cumulative gross of over one billion dollars. That's right, folks, one billion dollars. Here's his eighty snapshot as a writer. These are the highlights the dead Zone in eighty three. He's uncredited on Lethal Weapon in nineteen eighty seven. He pens Innerspace in eighty seven, The Lost Boys in eighty seven, Funny Farm Here in eighty eight, Indiana Jones, and The Last Crusade in eighty nine, and then Lethal Weapon two in eighty nine. Not a bad eighties run. He would go on to write Leith Wepon three in ninety two, and then The Witches of Eastwick in ninety two. He does twenty seven episodes of the Adventures of Briscoe County Junior, which I thought was really cool. He penned The Phantom in nineteen ninety six, so those are some of the highlights there. He did pass away on January twenty sixth and two thousand due to a heart failure from a rare lung disease. So here's a little quote from Jeffrey Boem. I get the thing in my head and see it from start to finish. Then I sit down and start writing it. I don't have any kind of routine where I do notes or outlines or character sketches. I just try and live with it in my head until it's ready to be spat out. Jeffrey Boem great screenwriter. He pops up every once in a while and these huge eighties films and I'm like, man, this guy had quite the career and we lost him too soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely agree with that. I mean, you just listed off an impressive list of credits. As a writer, you would hope to maybe two two of those titles he has all then Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time I hear his name, I think of the opening credits of Last Crusade. For some reason, Oh yeah, I can see it with that backdrop of where do they shoot that opening, like in Utah or wherever that was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that.
Speaker 2: Font they use for the credits in Indiana Jones Alascrusda, it just kind of pops. I'm like, oh, Jeffrey boem Right, he wrote this too, good stuff. What do you have for your idies? Snapshot Bill bant So.
Speaker 1: I went with director George Roy Hill, and George wasn't your typical Hollywood director. Born in nineteen twenty one to a wealthy Irish Catholic family in Minneapolis, Hill grew up loving music, airplanes, and stories, the three passions that would later define his life. He studied music at Yale under the great composer Paul Hindermith ran the university's drama society, and then went off to war. Hill served as a marine pilot in both World War Two and the Korean War, an experience that fueled his lifelong obsession with flying. After the war, he acted on stage in Ireland and on Broadway, and then turned to directing, first in live television and theater, and eventually in film. His first movie, Period of Adjustment, came out in nineteen sixty two, but it was Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid that made him a household name. Hill was the one who assisted on p arring Paul Newman and then up and coming Robert Redford, a decision that changed both their careers and movie history. He reunited with the duo for The Sting, a clever con artist caper that won seven Oscars, including Best Director for Hill. Hill goes on to direct the hockey comedy classic Slap Shot, again with Newman in nineteen seventy seven. By the nineteen eighties, George Roy Hill's film career was winding down. His major work from that decade was the World According to Garp in nineteen eighty two, based on John Irving's novel, starring Robin Williams and gun Clothes. The film was both a critical a commercial success, earning Oscar nominations for Close and John Lithgow. H'll followed it with The Little Drummer Girl in nineteen eighty four, darring Diane Keaton. Though ambitious, it received mixed reviews and struggled at the box office, and then his final film was This Funny Farm in nineteen eighty eight. After stepping away from Hollywood, He'll return to Yale to teach drama, sharing his love of storytelling with a new generation. He passed away in two thousand and two at the age of eighty one, after a long battle with Parkinson's I was director George roy Hill.
Speaker 2: Great stuff. That was excellent nineteen twenty one. Man, that guy goes way back, Yeah he does. I did not realize he also directed a slap shot that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. One of the actors that was driving up the wall when I was watching this brat Sullivan was Brock, the one who wants to kill Andy throughout the movie.
Speaker 2: Sure, what do I.
Speaker 1: Know him from? And then I was like, oh, yeah, he's a slap shot and that's one of my favorite lines of the movie. Here you go. I don't think it's appropriate to repeat on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Love it all right.
Speaker 1: So this leads to earliest memories of the movie. Jason start us off. What do you remember about Funny Farm way back when?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, let's get funny with this film. Yeah, you know what, I remember always liking this movie. If I caught it on cable. It was one of those Yeah, if I caught it in the middle of it, I'd watch it. I'd watch the rest of it, at least a few scenes. It was always enjoyable to me as a young person. I've always been a fan of Chevy Chase and the livery and his physical comedy. There's the pratt falling that was mentioned in the What's on the Box segment, and that's was his talent. I recall being a fan of miss Madeline Smith in this. I always thought she was very attractive, She is quite adorable. I thought she gave a decent comedic performance. I remember a few of the highlights, of course, I mean before even watching this. I recall the lamb fries, of course, the crazed alcoholic Maleman, and I remember enjoying the holiday Christmas cheer of the ending. It just always gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. I definitely remember the very scenic atmosphere, that rural feel, and that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I was a fan of this movie when I was a kid, a teenager. I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever, but it was just simple feel good movie and I got a kick out of the goofy characters and site gags. Nothing else really to break down here, Bill Band. I didn't think it was outrageously hilarious, but always found it amusing. That's all I got for you for early memories. What are yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a rental for me. I do remember seeing the ads in the paper of Chevy Chase with the egg on his head, thinking it was a movie about farming, and then renting it and it's not even about farming whatsoever. But I do remember enjoying it, and I watched that one a lot on cable. I bet I watched Funny Farm more at one point than I watched Fletch right, just because it was on more. Not that I'm saying it's a better movie. It's almost like a comfort food kind of film.
Speaker 2: I just it was on. I like it.
Speaker 1: It just kind of flows. That's my earliest memory. I'm right there with you.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things that just happened to be on a lot, and you smile when chevy Chase does his thing. He's great, He's very charming, and he's good at falling down. Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 1: I agree, all right, So initial thoughts now of a funny farm all these years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an interesting rewatch as an adult, let's just talk about that cast real quick. I think chevy Chase is fine in this. Is he given a lot to do. I guess this is how I use the word serviceable. And I felt like Madeline Smith as Elizabeth Farmer, the wife of Andy Farmer played by Chevy Chase. I thought Madeline Smith was fine. I'm watching it now just saying, what's the relationship between her and chevy Chase? Is a good chemistry, etc. And they were good together. I thought they matched well together. It was fine. I wasn't necessarily laughing out loud at moments, but I found myself smiling often. There's just several moments throughout this film where I found it amusing once again as an adult. I must say the movie looks good to me. Credit to veteran DP director of photography Miroslav Underchek Elmer Bernstein. Love him he does the score for this film. Love his past work, wonderful Resume, The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Animal House, Meatballs, Airplane Stripes, Trading Places, Ghostbusters, that's Elmer Bernstein. Now we have Funny Farm. It's fine. It's fine. That's kind of my overall feeling about this film this far.
Speaker 1: Did you have any commentary on you You're saying fine. I think my word for this is safe. This movie feels safe.
Speaker 2: Bill Bant is one of the last notes I wrote, and I was saving it for my conclusion. I wrote safe, it feels safe. I wrote that exact same thing. I'm glad you said it. Please continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was trying to think about how I would describe this movie. Because I do like it, I do enjoy it. I would recommend it. But if I recommend to someone and they never watched it, they're not really missing anything. But if they watched it, they wouldn't be like, why the hell did you recommend this movie? It's just there. It's just there. I'm not sitting through it. Going, oh my god, what is this going to end? I put it on and I chuckle a couple of times, and I like the premise. I mean, there's a one scene that does stand out that we'll talk about, but outside of that, there's nothing groundbreaking about it. It is funny when I was researching, how many people like chasing.
Speaker 2: This, Yeah, including himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish a little more could have been on the humor. The fish out of Water could have been hammered a little bit better. I think the issue is they make it seem like this town is full of crazed lunatics. It almost has that northern exposure shows with have all the quirky characters, but we never really get to see the quirky characters. We just kind of see how Andy and Elizabeth aren't adjusting well to life outside the city. Right. Maybe if it got a little more into that, had more of those standout characters, I think it would be a more fun film. So it just plays it safe, wholeheartedly.
Speaker 2: Agree, wholeheartedly agree that's safe, and it's on the surface. Jeffrey Boem himself was hoping to when he was writing it, was hoping to get a little more I don't know if gritty's the right word, but more based on the actual novel itself versus George roy Hill decided to go in a different direction with it and ultimately had control in the actual direction, of course, and it was on the life. That's the way he went with it, and it's pretty clear. But yeah, I'm going to get into it here. I mean, I actually want to take a step back and say that I had an interesting viewing experience this time because I was joined by a friend of mine, and she's a female friend of mine. She's significantly younger, she's a millennial, and she was watching it for the very first time. So I was watching it wondering in the back of my mind how she was seeing it. And of course, as we all know, watching a movie with someone else is an entirely different experience than just watching it by yourself. So what it did, interestingly enough, was make me look at it without my nostalgic glasses on. It wasn't as if I was watching this with like a contemporary like you in the room, Bill Bant, or a buddy of mine that grew up during the eighties and we could predict that next scene coming on or already start laughing about what was coming up next, or smile in that nostalgic moment. It was different. It's just different. So I felt I was a little more critical upon this viewing as an adult. So Funny Farm It's one of those movies just feels like a series of hijinks for the first hour or so. There's just not much in the way of story or character development. Like you were talking about these townsfolk that just fill out the scenery and you want to know more, but they all are just kind of the one note, one stick, one trick ponies. It's mostly like National Lampoon's vacation. Especially regarding Chevy Chase's character, Andy Farmer, He's like Clark Griswold on a farm, I guess, but it's or in the country and he's trying to stay positive all the time while everything is falling apart. However, the difference here's the wife, Elizabeth Farmer. She clearly isn't happy and he's oblivious to it the whole time. And then there's this series of light gags, silly gags, the one note characters, these one note character we really don't learn anything about these characters, like Sheriff Ledbetter, or that Brock character, or the crazed mailman who we learn as crumb Peatrie, the antique dealer that sells everything related to dead relatives. It's funny on the surface, but we don't get to know them at all or see a relationship developed between those characters. With Andy and Elizabeth Farmer, there's just no bond between them, really, so it's just more hyjinks of things going bad while now Andy Farmer. The whole idea here, folks, if you haven't seen the movie for any reason, is that Andy is moving on from the big city as a sports writer and he's been given correct me if I'm wrong, he's been given in advance by a publisher to write his great, the great novel he has within him. Right, has he given like a ten thousand dollars advance?
Speaker 1: Ten thousand?
Speaker 2: Right? So the idea is that he and his wife Elizabeth have looked at this beautiful property out in the country and they're going to move there, and he's going to write this novel and live out their lives in this serene location. So then throughout these hijinks, Andy has writer's block. Then he manages to write a terrible first draft of his novel. Meanwhile, Elizabeth has inspired to write her own children's book, which becomes successful, and then Andy betrays her. Then they decide to divorce and sell the country house. And then they recruit, slash bribe the townspeople to help them sell the house. So the townspeople selfishly go overboard with the Christmas holiday costumes, caroling and themes. And after the farmer see what the fantasy of this town, which is called Redbud out in the country could be, they decide to make up and not get divorced, and they decide to stay after all this, the problem is that they're still hated by the townspeople and all of it is a facade. And more importantly, Andy was a complete asshole to Elizabeth and she somehow just forgave him overnight. I'm getting into my complaints clearly here, but that's like the gist of this movie as I'm watching it as an adult, Like this is how I'm seeing it. So I don't mean to sound overly critical, but I was a little surprised of like, this movie is really flawed. Everything else I said still holds true, where it's still fun and light on its feet at times, but from a story structure standpoint, I found it extremely flawed, and I did not understand the character's motivations at the end, and I found there was just real no connection to the town or townsfolk at all, which was concerning to me. You know. One thing I wanted to see a little more of, too, was really Andy's process, Like, because I'm a writer, you're a writer, you want to see what a writer goes through. And we just kind of see him frustrated with having the writer's block, and we see that Elizabeth goes behind his back to write her children's book. We're not getting into the process of a writer, in the head of a writer and what the a writer goes through and trying to develop a novel. It's all again just kind of safe and on the surface and goofy stuff happens, and that's it, and then it's over and I'm going to save more for favorite scenes and complaints. But watching it as an adult, it's all right, it's all right. I don't know if I need to see it again for a while. I feel like it was a different experience this time watching it, and if it's not terrible, it's just Okay, that's all I got, Bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I took. My big complaint about is there's definitely a disconnect between the farmers and the residents I red bud. Yeah, because when they decide to sell the house and then they present to the townsfolk, Hey, we need you to stop acting like idiots so we can sell our house. How did we get to this point from what I understand? And he's only had trouble with two of the townsfolk, right, It's not like they're walking through the town they're getting jeered and made fun of. Nothing really that bad has happened to them up to this point. So there's a disconnect that I didn't see him, Like, what am I missing that they've gotten to this point? All the characters are just one off jokes. The sheriff the fact that he cannot drive, right, I find that funny definitely. But let's bring something else. We meet the brothers Lahn and Dirk, who are supposed to be your goofballs. I think of a new Heart with Larry, Daryl and Darryl. I'm like, okay, let's beat into that a little bit more. Nope, they don't really do anything. Yep, crumb, Yeah, you get a little bit out of him, and then Brock, who he was doing the fishing with, and Brock just always wants to kill him. Well, the other two guys on the boat weren't any better than what Andy was doing, so why is the hate all towards him?
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: I just wish they got into more of what the animosity is between the farmers and the residents of Rosebud. Play that up for laughs and develop the characters a little more. I do like Chase is in Smith's chemistry.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's some other complaints about their relationship. I'll get into the complaint department, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I just had to go back to it. It's a safe movie if you watch it. I think there's nothing groundbreaking about it. Kind of weird that Chase is the star of the movie but doesn't feel like he's the star of the movie. I would almost feel like it's more Madeleine Smith's movie.
Speaker 2: I like that take.
Speaker 1: Because she's the one that's going through changes throughout the movie. Right, Yeah, I think you learn more about her than you do Andy in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I you know again, you said, you know, fish out of water. It's clearly a Fish out of Water story, and even within the movie, you have Madeline Smith writing this children's book which is based on Andy, but in the form of a squirrel being a fish out of water. It's going from the city to the country life. It's a change of pace, scenery, and again the town, the type of people. So you mentioned like northern exposure, but these are the farmers become strangers in a strange land, and I want to see how that affects their relationship. And there is a hint in the beginning when they first move there that Chevy is urging his wife to give this a chance, because he says, not only are we here to enjoy the scenery, but we're here to be together to work on a relationship. And I was like, oh, you've just planted a seed here. Was there something wrong with their relationship prior to this or something missing or Okay, So now move to the country supposedly is going to help them find some peace and serenity and they can work on themselves and being together. And we just don't get a lot of that. It's just more he's trying to write, she's frustrated, he's oblivious to it. Then she writes the book, and then he becomes jealous and turns to alcohol, and then she wants a divorce, And You're right, it's interesting looking at it now, thinking it's more of hers journey that we're following. But then it just turns all of a sudden in the last twenty minutes where everything becomes honky dory, and I'm like, I missed something in the just relationship development between the farmers and the relationship between the farmers and the townsfolk. That's it.
Speaker 1: I didn't think going into this move that they had an issue with their relationship. I think just because it's fast paced. He's a sports writer. I'm sure he's not around a lot. They go somewhere else where it's slows down, so they can actually have a family family right, thinking about having kids move in that direction, So I thought that was one of the reasons for the move. Also, outside of in the events for the book, I didn't think they really had issues until they moved and Elizabeth realized this is not really the life that she wants initially, but that does change by the.
Speaker 2: End, right, Yeah, because simply nothing's working. There's no phone in the house, there's a giant sea snake, and there's water snake in the bond, there's a dead body, there's bones buried in the garden. I mean, it's just one thing after another seems to go wrong, and she's increasingly becoming distraught about it, which is understandable. Yeah, I just would have liked to seen more a little more sensitivity from his character to her in recognizing that. It just feels like he's very much kind of self centered or self serving and working on his book, Like he's just like, I'm here to do this and it's going to be this is my dream and nothing's going to get in the way of it, while she's struggling the entire time.
Speaker 1: So it's basically Chevy Chase playing himself off screen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all right, So I just I think I just laid out all my complaints already, so I jumped away ahead anyway. Yeah, we can move on, all right, let's move on.
Speaker 1: Two favorite scenes or moments. Think I'm going first on this one, and it's just a laugh out moment for me. And then there was like a little follow up joke. So Andy and Elizabeth get to the house. They're all excited. They're running around and looking at it, and there's a pond, and there's ducks, and you might have a few mosquitoes. But they're about to go into the front door, and he decides that he's going to pick up Elizabeth and carry her through the threshold, and he opens the door, not knowing that the door is split top half bottom half, so it only opens the top half, and drops Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Through the door, which hurts.
Speaker 1: It's funny at the same time, but I'm like, oh God, that must have hurt. So he opens the door, you know, make sure that she's okay, and then she says she's all right, and then they're talking about the house, and then she has this throw away line about I wonder how long it takes an ambulance to get here, meaning that she's still hurt from the fall. I don't think I ever caught that before, because I think the action of her him dropping her through just feels natural and like I could see that actually happening. How do they know the door is not locked to be connected, so it all opens a one piece. And then of course saying that you're okay, okay, But really, when everyone walks away and you're still like, oh Jesus Christ, that really hurt, might crack my tailbone kind of thing. So it's really brief, but I found it funny because it felt natural. It felt real to me. It wasn't like a stage little bit which happens throughout the movie.
Speaker 2: I laugh out loud every time it happens, and it caught me off guard a little bit on the rewatch, even though just at the very last millisecond I knew it was coming because it just made laugh so much. As a kid too, I definitely remember that moment, but it just happened so quickly in the film. It's it's smartly edited. I feel too. You just you forget that They're like, oh, here got and then he just walks her and drops her, and it's pretty brutal. It's a great physical bit. And with the clever line from her afterward, and she has some actual good lines in this, it made me think of a line it happens right after that when they have to spend the evening in the house without any of their belongings because the moving truck got lost and they're sleeping on the floor, and she says something to the effect of, oh, I know why they call them hardwood floors, because they're hard wood floors, so there's some good stuff. She has some good stuff, but that particular moment dropping her over the doors, it's priceless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, What do we have next? I think we both are in agreement with this next scene.
Speaker 2: A thousand percent probably the most memorable scene for a lot of those of you that have seen this film. This is kind of a go to probably remember this. It's the lamb fries, that's right. It just so happens that it is the Farmer's anniversary and they're going to go out on the town for a little bit. So they decide to go to the local diner restaurant and just cuts to the waitress who's also the cook. As it turns out, she's just frying up some land fries that look like meatballs basically in a pan, and she's serving them up to Andy Farmer, and they're sitting right at the actual counter, and they're all dressed to the nines, looking good, but they're enjoying some of the good local fair and the grub and these lamb fries that look like meatballs. Well, Andy Farmer's just chowing down on these things. And there's some locals also at the counter, and they're like, wow, he's going to town on these things, and just well, in particular, Elizabeth like, that's your third plate. Pretty impressive, and of course she says, yeah, that's your third plate, and he's like, well, calling mister lamb Fries. And then you have the local that's sitting to the right of Andy, I believe, who says, now, that's a man who knows when he's got something good in his mouth. And then we quickly discover that he's actually this is Andy about to break the record for eating the most lamb fries, these little meatballs. And there's an actual chalkboard hanging up behind the waitress and she's got a piece of chalk and she's changing the tally. She's telling up how many he's eaten. The record I believe is twenty eight, and he's at like twenty six, twenty seven. Then all of a sudden, he's, of course, chevy Chase is all proud of himself as he downs number twenty nine, breaking the record, and she has to change the number on the chalkboard and he's like wait, wait, wait, like he's got more in him. And then he eats number thirty and I believe he goes to eat thirty one, and you just hear the line most folks don't seem to have a taste for testicles no more. You hear Elizabeth goes testicles, and then you hear the again. The locals say, yes, ma'am sheep balls. Tell them why yours are so tasty? As he's talking to the waitress, and the waitress responds, the trick is you gotta clip them off way up high, and she makes this gesture with like ess like doing the fingers like sit and then of course Andy spits the lambfry slash sheep ball right out of his mouth and makes for the exit as Elizabeth follows him out of the diner. It's actually a quick scene. It's memorable. You almost kind of see it coming. It's set up in a certain way, but it's still funny because of the performances by both the waitress and the local that's sitting next to Chevy Chase. And I also like the fact that it's subtle. But you see the waitress then erase the thirty one and she puts it back to thirty because he spit out the last lambfry, and I, for whatever reason, I don't know if this is like the Mandela effect, but I thought he was going to actually throw up in that she erased the entire board and it went back to twenty eight, the prior record. But he don't actually see him throw up. So I was going to save this for additional questions. But do you think he actually throws up or should he retain the record at thirty?
Speaker 1: I think he should retain the record, Yeah, I say so.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, if you missed the thirty one to thirty, I was gonna point that out. But here again, here they are at the diner, the waitresses being nice, the towns focus being nice. When he breaks a record, everyone in the restaurant is clapping. So why later down the road does there seem to be a disconnect between them and the townsfolk. It's not showcased in this scene. It would make more sense if the record was sacred in the fact that Andy broke it, that people are pissed, and then well you're eating land testicles. But it's a funny, memorable scene.
Speaker 2: I have nothing that you make a really good point that they all are getting along, because I'm starting to think of the other scenes where there was real, like an antagonistic nature between them and the townsfolk. Elizabeth doesn't really have any negative run ins with anyone that go awry. It's just Chevy Chase and that boat scene with Brock and the other guy that goes and they're fishing and it goes all to hell. And then we have the crazed mailman, but we don't even know the man, like Andy doesn't have a relationship to the man man except that he just keeps blowing by the mailbox, throwing the mail out the window. We don't even see his face. We don't know why, if or why the mailman would hate Andy. We know why Andy doesn't like him. But as for the other townsfolk, they seem to all be getting along. It doesn't so why do they feel they all hate them? At the end, I don't know anyway, going off on a tangent.
Speaker 1: That's okay. So for my next well, it's a big scene because it's almost a third act of the movie, but I do like the premise of it. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where Andy and Elizabeth are talking about getting a divorce so they have to sell the house, and in their mind order to sell the house. The townsfolk need to help because they think the townsfolk are part of the problem of why they're getting divorced. So they speak at the local town hall meeting and they want the town to mimic basically Norman Rockwell paintings. So when prospective buyers come to look at the house, still think this is the most beautiful place in the world to be is in Rosebud.
Speaker 2: I like that, you said, Rosebud. That's great, little slip there, little citizen Kane slip Rosemud. So yeah, so Redbud.
Speaker 1: And we do have a couple that's coming to look at the house, and it just happens to be during the holidays, and the townfolk go all out, Yeah, Christmas, Carol's in the backyard. They take this couple downtown. They have this huge tree. Everybody, of course, is coming up and being super nice. The police chief, who can't drive all of a sudden, pulls up in a car and comes out and says, hell, he makes sure he sees the farmer house twice a day and checks the neighborhood whilst car drives off and runs over a tree. What's funny about this because when they have the town hall meeting. The farmers do say, hey, if we sell the house, we're going to donate x amount of money to Redbud, and if anyone does a active kindness in front of us, we'll give them fifty bucks. So the townsfolk are all going out, so just a factor walk across town. Everyone's coming up, Hey, Andy, hey, lisbit that kind of stuff. And then they give their names so they know they owe fifty bucks. And it gets to the point where they go back to the house, their house, and basically the whole town is outside. Kids are making snowballs, snowball fights. You know, we got the singers again. Andy invites them into the house and they're sharing eggnog. So they're going all out, and it's just funny because they're all doing this just to get fifty bucks per act of kindness, and plus with the money that the town is getting for them to sell the house. I just find it very amusing. I kind of forgot that there is a whole Christmas setting to this, and the third act it does kind of remind you like, oh, if I lived in a small town, this is exactly how I would like it to be during the Christmas time. I did enjoy it, just I did like that third act, how it kind of plays out, and how even Andy and Elizabeth have to keep up this front. They really love it here. They love each other, but unfortunately, due to circumstances, they have to move.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, you know, I'm glad you just covered the entire third act that now it's interesting. I'm going to jump to a complaint here again, mister complaints here. Sorry, folks, that's okay. This entire sequence doesn't actually really kick off until an hour and twenty one minutes into the film. There's only twenty minutes remaining in the entire movie, and this is my favorite part. It feels like this is when the movie really starts to kick into high gear. All the high jinks that ensued prior to this were fun and light and I get it, and it creates tension and causes obstacles for our protagonists. But because of the lack of kind of relationship development, either between the farmers or with the townsfolk, it was just high jinks. But now this is like an interesting problem where they do have to directly deal with all of the townsfolk, almost all at once. Where they're doing this performative bit embracing this Norman Rockwell lifestyle, and it's wonderful. I love the holiday spirit, the Christmas spirit, the feel of this whole thing. Because I grew up in a small town. I always wanted it to be that way. It did feel that way in moments, for sure, and I fall in love with it. And every time I think of this particular film, Funny Farm, I will think of the lamb fry scene, and I will think of this entire ending, and I always feel like it's a bigger part of the movie, and it really isn't. It's the very end, but it's so great, and it's very funny because all these townsfolk, they just want the farmer's money. They're just doing it for the extra fifty bucks. One scene in particular I want to call out has to do with our crazed alcoholic mailman. I assume he's an alcoholic. The sheriff led better. He does mention that the reason why the mailman is so angry by the time he reaches the farmer's household in Red Bud is that he's been drinking during his whole the mail route, and that he's good and saucy by the time he gets there and just honre and so he doesn't even stop to deliver the mail. He just throws the mail out of the truck window and keeps driving off, and you kind of hear his cackle fading off in the distance. And thus you have Andy standing there next to the mailbox, just left to pick up the mail off the ground. So that's a stick that runs throughout the movie. It's a runner throughout the movie and now here because they've made this proposal. They're going to pay everyone fifty bucks if they make an extra effort to be a traditional small town, the perfect small town in this setting of the Christmas and feeling all the holidays here while the farmers are entertaining these prospective buyers of their house and they're all sitting inside. You see this is great because you see Andy hear the backfire from the truck approaching the mailman's truck, and he recognizes it right away and he's like, oh no, this is going to ruin the whole ruse. If the mailman comes in or just drives by and is rude and throwing the mail out the window, it's just going to show a crack in this whole idea, and he doesn't want these buyers to see this. But then knock on the door, ring the door, and Anni Farmer goes to the door, and there's the mailman, crumb Petree, looking pretty good, cleaned up. He's wearing his coat, his scarf, his hat. I think he's got even like a mailman insigny on his coat. And he's personally brought the mail to the farmers and steps in and he says, oh, and by the way, missus Farmer, Missus Petrie, my wife wanted to give you this. This is her traditional rumnut plum raisin cake of the season. And then he's introduced to I think it's the Culbertsons who are these prospective buyers. By the way, there's recognizable character actors throughout this, and I think it's Gilpin is his name. I can't remember that his first name is one of the culbert sins here, but another recognizable actor in this, and the crumb Peatree is introduced to them, and now he's all put together and he seems to be the nicest guy ever and sober on top of it, and mentions, oh, he's going to be really sorry to see the farmers go, and as immediately as he says that, oh, it'll be really sorry to see the farmers go, he lets out the most amazing cackle and I won't even try to impersonate it, but I want to give a shout out to Kevin Conway, who plays Crumb Petrieck, because I love that cackle. And then he even pours on a little bit extra here and says, oh, you know what, later on, I'm just going to go do some ice fishing, you know. By the way he's looking at the buyers, he says, you know, I'm gonna pull out some nice sized pike out there ice fishing, pouring it on thick, just portraying this as the perfect small town, and then ends up leaving and to make sure to look at Andy and say, hey, you're going to be paying me a little extra, you know. And so I love that because one of the funny things throughout it is that runner with the mailman blazing by the mailbox and throwing the mail out, and now we see him all put together, but he still does the cackle, and we see him do it in person. It's great. So I found that very amusing. Also, yeah, I just wanted to back you up on the fact that when all the krollers go inside the house and they're all still singing, that they all make that point to say their full names one by one as they're exiting to Andy, to make sure he remembers that they are all individually owed fifty dollars. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say of all the characters, the mailman does pay off for me because you are interested. In the beginning, you never see him. You just see the cars go all by, and you just see the mail fly and a cackle, and and he becomes obsessed with trying to get him to stop. At one point tries to roll a boulder into his mail truck. So then when he finally comes, there's that comedic tension because you're like, oh, is he going to screw this up just because he hates the farmers or we don't even know if he hates the farmers, he just hates the fact he's got to drive out there for the mail, so you don't know what's going to happen. The fact that he's so kind, you're like, oh, okay, but he has to say something at the end, like I'm only doing this for the fifty bucks. The son of a Bitch. I'm out, Yeah, it does work for me. I think it's the one character outside of Andrew Elizabeth that you kind of get to. I wouldn't say no a little bit, but I think the character overall pays off.
Speaker 2: I agree you see at least there's a change in the character. He almost has a mini arc, if you will, like a mini mini mini arc. But still it's something. So I'm glad you highlighted the whole third act, if you will, because it's a lot of fun and that's really the highlight of the movie for me. There is some fun in this. I don't want to be mister Debbie Dunner either. There is definitely a movie that maybe you just look back on and it's funnier when you quote it, almost funnier than when you're watching it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that takes us to Swiss Cheese and Complaints Apartment, and what don't we call it.
Speaker 2: Swiss Cheese because although this movie is delicious, it does have burnt manuscript holes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if it doesn't have those burnt manuscript holes, we just file the complaint with the Complaints Apartment. So, Jason, do you have anything left for Swiss cheese or complaint.
Speaker 2: I know, right, Well, let's go back to you briefly touched on this the title itself. How do we feel about the title? Funny farm? Terrible, not great? No, it implies either they're actually living on a farm with crazy things happening, which is not true, or that it's a mental asylum with crazy people running around. And yeah, we have some goofy townspeople, but it's not a mental asylum, and we get that. Of course, their last names are they're the farmers, are protagonists, are protagonist couple, But still it just doesn't ring true the title.
Speaker 1: No, And even if you look at either of the posters, there's the one poster where Chivi Chase has an egg on his head, nothing like that happens in the movie, and the other one he's in a tractor with the dog. At least we have a dog at some point, very briefly. The first one he buys runs off, which is kind of funny, but it's very misleading. I don't know what I would call it, because I'm always terrible when it comes to titles, but I definitely would not have come up with plenty farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what do you have.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my complaint is Andy's treatment of the movers. Okay, Andy gives them a map of how to get to the house, so they get lost. So Andy and Elizabeth have to sleep on the floor one night. Sound like it's been a couple of days. It's literally one day. Like my wife and I moved out to California, we didn't have furniture for four days, but we knew that going in. Yeah, so I'm like, sleep on the floor for one night is not going to kill you. And when they show up, Andy is laying into them hard. Oh yeah, refund blah blah blah blah, And I'm like, dude, at least your stuff is there. I'm sure there's tons of horror stories about movers, and I've read a lot about it, Like when you're moving and you're researching, that is a scary thing. There's so many times where you hear stories about movers who will bring your stuff and say, well, now you have to pay this charge in order to get for us to start on loading your stuff. So the fact that they showed up and started unloading right away, granted it was going into the lake out back.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, another actual fun moment, let's give credit to that is. I love that moment when that character one of the movers, is like, immediately they're unloading the truck after you have Andy like running alongside the truck as it's pulling in, berating them, and he just goes straight for like the office chair walks right and Andy's like, okay, finally you're unloading. You're gonna move this stuff into our house. And the guy just walks right by Andy with the chair in hand and throws it directly into the lake. Really funny.
Speaker 1: You're just excited that they showed up and just be like, oh right, I'd be more curious, like you know what happened? Are you?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, what happened to you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the way he came into them, like, no, I felt the movers did the right thing. I think I would have threw his chair in the lake too. I would give a crap at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. There's a funny line earlier than that, when you see the movers are stuck in the truck overnight. They have to basically sleep outside. They're in the truck technically, but one of them says to the other is something about you need to hold onto that map because I'm gonna need it as evidence as to a murder or something along the way. He's like, yeah, why, He's like, because I'm going to kill the son of a bitch true that map. It's pretty fun anyway, I have some character issues, motivation issues. There's a couple scenes maybe that'll explain this. The anniversary evening for the farmers. We know the lampfry scene right, very amusing, very funny, memorable. But then they move on to a bungalow where they're going to spend the evening in just a romantic little bungalow, and the fireplace is there. It's a beautiful setting here. And then this is where Andy just turns extremely selfish. It's the evening of their anniversary, and his gift to Elizabeth is the fact that he finally finished the first draft this manuscript of his great novel, which I think is it called The Big Heist. It sounds right, it was something like that he called it. It's basically The Ocean's Eleven Ideas, and he forces Elizabeth to read the entire draft there that night in front of him, and it's just kind of like what are you doing? Man? And I get there's supposed to be some comedy to this, right, it's a funny thing. But he's just so oblivious to taking care of It's their anniversary, he should be taking care of her and thinking about her needs. But he forces her to read the draft and then that goes to hell because she hates it, and then he throws it into the fireplace and then has to try to save it anyway. After this, then, of course she is It's revealed that she's been working on her own book, a children's book, and has completed it, has turned it into a publisher, and has received five thousand dollars in a contract to have it published, all these things, and this sets Andy off. He becomes a jealous jerk, and he turns into a drunk and then ends up betraying her and stealing her manuscript and handing it over to his publisher as if it were his own. And it's like he really turns into a prick, and that makes him very unlikable. And what I don't understand Bill, then is at the end, when we have our beautiful scenic Christmas seasonal third act, she seems to make a quick turnaround and I don't understand why he treated her very poorly. She wants a divorce. They're going to the lawyer, they're trying to get a divorce, and they're selling the house. But now because everything looks on the surface so perfect, because they've paid off the townsfolk, it kind of gives them this feeling of, oh, now we realize we're in the right place, we made the right move. This is so beautiful here and the people are so great. And now she's back in love with Andy. She's forgiven him. It seems real quick to me, And I had a big, big complaint with that. It just made no sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really didn't like Andy's jealousy towards Elizabeth with the children's book, and when he says to her, you know nothing about writing, but then says she's an English teacher. She seems pretty qualified. Just with that alone, right, And just because she doesn't like it doesn't mean it's finished, right, Yeah, absolutely, it's just the first draft. Yeah, so just ask what's wrong and see what he needs to fix. But he just goes on this whole ti rate. And then with the children's book, he gets super upset about that that didn't work for me. I think at least he comes to realize he made that mistake. I think with a Elizabeth because that she didn't like living out there, but then it inspired her to write that book and maybe many books in the future. She learns to forgive Andy for it. But yeah, we don't see it. It just seems very abrupt because it almost sounds like they don't want to get divorced because I had to wait till July and it costs a lot of money because they don't love each other. And Andy realizes what a dumbass he was, which he kind of emits at one point, at least when he has to sleep on the floor and he says, I basically fuck everything up, right.
Speaker 2: That's there's a moment.
Speaker 1: And I think that's why people actually like Chase's performance in this because it's the one time he almost humanizes himself a little bit.
Speaker 2: I see that, Okay, I like that. I like that. Now. Just going back I think to the overall complaint is the fact that this entire holiday scene, this Christmas scene, doesn't start until an hour and twenty minutes into the film, and it's only an hour and forty minutes forty one minutes long, so I do appreciate the run time. By the way, However, structurally I would have liked to see and I don't mean to rewrite the movie, but I just would have appreciated less high jinks in the beginning, maybe only twenty minutes or so, let's get to really meet some of these townsfolk. But it's very interesting to me the idea of going to a town where then all the people that live there are faking it, like they're really putting on a show, so everything so I like that idea. There's something about pretending and that everything being on the surface level everything looks great, but then finding out that there's more underneath, and that could relate to also the farmer's relationship when they're moving out there, pretending as if now we've changed locations and we're in this beautiful place, everything's going to be great. I will be inspired to write the perfect book, and she's going to be the perfect wife, and we're going to have the most romantic build a family out here, when that's just not the reality. The reality is life is hard no matter where you are, and people are quirky and weird and goofy, and shit happens and we all have to find a way to get along and prosper together. Right, So I would have liked to kind of seen that theme play out, not just in the last twenty minutes, but throughout three quarters of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be kind of funny if the town really portrayed this ideal setting and the longer they live there they start seeing the cracks and just tell everybody is weird and quirky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, for sure. The scene that plays out on the boat with the fish hook in the neck and pulling it just was really over the top for me. It gets like really gaggy, and it's just kind of I didn't care for that scene that jumped.
Speaker 1: That was a little cringe for me. Yeah, that whole scene doesn't work.
Speaker 2: When he's fishing in his own lake behind their beautiful home and he pulls that giant water snake out, that's goofy and silly because you can tell it's like a giant rubber thing that probably comes fright out, but it's still a little bit of a surprise, And it's kind of funny because he's a great physical comedian in the way he reacts to it. It works in that scenario. But the boat, You're right.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. The snake scenario is plausible. You're fishing in the lake. There's sometimes snakes and lakes. Yeah, But here it is. You go downtown with your wife. These guys ask you to go on a fishing trip. It's not a twenty minute trip. Your wife's going to come back from the store and go where the hell's my husband and he's gonna be fishing for the next three hours or two hours? Why would you agree to go on the boat?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's just an unplausible scenario. So the rest of it just doesn't work for Maison Fountain to find it very funny.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna stop there.
Speaker 1: Time to move on to Hey, it's that actor? All right? So this segment we spotlight a character actor you have seen in many other films, an actor making their big screen debut, or an actor that makes an un ready to cameo. It's Hey, it's an actor. So who do we choose this week? Because there are a lot of choices in this one. I was surprised, Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: Every other actor in this is a Hey it's that actor that's recognizable you're like, Wow, who is he or she from?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What is that movie that they were in? It's great? So this week we've chosen for our Hey, it's that actor, Mike Star, Mike Starr. He plays one of the movers, and funny enough, the other mover actor actually is a hey it's that actor too. As soon as I saw him, like, hey, isn't he the guy driving the black Jack war and speed? Isn't that that guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It is?
Speaker 2: Yes, Goodwe totally so. But Mike Starr is great, immediately recognizable American character actor from New York City, standing tall at six three and a half. Known for playing bullying characters, he worked as a bouncer and bartender before landing a small part in the film Cruising in nineteen eighty. As it goes back to nineteen eighty, he's got two hundred and forty five credits on IMDb. So yes, Mike Starr was in Cruising in nineteen eighty. Then he was in the Natural in eighty four. He's in the Money Pit in eighty six, looking forward to doing that on this podcast. He was in a couple episodes of Crime Story in eighty seven. The film Who's That Girl? With Madonna in eighty seven, Funny Farm in eighty eight, and Punchline in eighty eight, Lean On Me in eighty nine, Uncle Buck as a character called Pooter the Clown in eighty nine, and then he is briefly featured in Born on the Fourth of July, also in eighty nine. So here's some highlights of his After the eighties. He was in Blue Steel, good Fellas as character Frenchy Miller's crossing Billy Bathgate, free Jack the Bodyguard, the Hotsucker Proxy, and he has a great role in ed Wood. That's one film you definitely would recognize him from. But the film I always associate him with is Dumb and Dumber. That's what I think of. First, he plays the character Joe Medalino, and I believe the big scene with him and Jim Carrey when he's choking on the hot peppers initially when they're at the diner restaurant, and then Carrie accidentally feeds him the poison pills as that's what happens, and then he's like foaming at the mouth.
Speaker 1: Mike Stars, Oh, I remember the together the most annoying sound in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. Yeah, So Mike Starr great, done it. He does a ton of TV episodes, makes appearances on a variety of soap opera's Funny Enough and still working. Has some upcoming projects. Love Mike stars, great character actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. When you were listing off his credits, I was like, oh, yep, I remember what seeing he said, Oh yep, I could see it as clear as today. If you asked me before to name I'm like, I can't name anything outside Dumb and Dumber. But as soon as you're saying the credits, I'm like, oh, yeah, I remember what's seen yous in that movie. So yeah, definitely an excellent choice for Hey, it's that actor.
Speaker 2: Just gonna give it a couple of shout outs to some other Hey it's that actors, because I was trying to remember this gentleman's name. He plays one of the Culbertson's, the prospective buyers of the Farmer's house. That was Jack Gilpin, very recognizable. I believe it's Alice Drummond who plays Ethel Dingis or Dingus who has the antique store. She's very recognizable. Yep, there you go. There's more that I'm missing here. Oh who is it that plays the lawyer. He was very recognizable to Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's thinking of the publisher guy, Michael Sinclair.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah he too, Yeah sure, yeah, anyway, he watched the movie a lot of recognizable faces. So I apologize for not naming all the actors here, but we got to move along.
Speaker 1: Yep, many, many all right, Time to move on to facts and trivia. What are some facts of trivia we have about Funny Farm.
Speaker 2: The film was mostly shot in southeastern Vermont, including the towns of Windsor, Vermont and Townshend, Vermont, and they were using locals as extras. This is from IMDb. By the way, the Townshend Common, the Townshend Common area today has an unusual souvenir from the production of Funny Farm, because to make the trees on the common look as if it was mid autumn, the film crew dyed the leaves, which killed all the trees except for one in the middle of the common. Today, the ring of newly planted trees around the edge of the common are significantly shorter than the much larger one that survived the filming of Funny Farm.
Speaker 1: Whoops, yeah right, oops, see so this was interesting. You know, who is supposed to be in this movie. Jason tell me Bill band Sarah Michelle Geller was he supposed to play one of Elizabeth's students in an early scene in the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well that would make sense because I'm like she had been very young at that time. Yea.
Speaker 1: So unfortunately that scene was to lead it and I couldn't find it anywhere. M Yeah, I think that would have been one of her first credits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: Things turned out okay for her, she did.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Ivy's Cafe where Andy eats lamb fries was not in fact an actual restaurant. It was a set built in Townsend, Vermont, specifically for the film, and was destroyed after filming goes over. The site of the set is now occupied by residential homes which are across the street from the gazebo in Townshend where Andy is seen running to the softball game while Elizabeth goes antique shopping.
Speaker 2: This Funny Farm was the first of three consecutive movie adaptations of Jay Cronley novels in three consecutive years. The subsequent adaptations were Let It Ride in eighty nine, one of my cult favorites, and another cult favorite quick Change in nineteen ninety. We'll have to save that one for the All Nineties Movies podcast. Yes, love both those movies. I'm a big fan of Let It Rite.
Speaker 1: Yes, we know that one for sure.
Speaker 2: It was a rough year at the box office for mister Chevy Chase. So yeah, this was one of two nineteen eighty eight movies starring Chase. The other was Caddyshack two. I guess they're saying, well, Funny Farm was a minor hit. Well, Caddyshak two was a box office bomb, but Chase also cameoed in the box office bomb The Couch Trip of the same year in eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Ooh, yeah, tough year for him. So the kid who steals the street sign at the beginning of the movie was an extra from Windsor High School, where a fair amount of the filming takes place. He had not becoming a local cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that too, that's funny. Last one I got here real quick bill is the four thousand dollars bill for Claude Musselman's funeral. That's the the casket with the bones that was dug up in the farmer's backyard. That was claud Musselman in there. The four thousand dollars bill for Claude Musselman's funeral would equate to a little over eleven thousand dollars in twenty twenty five. Ouch, yeah, chuck a change, all right.
Speaker 1: Moving on to box office, so, Funny Farm was released on June third, nineteen eighty eight, in one thousand, five hundred and fifty seven theaters with an estimated budget of nineteen million. Bunny Farm pulled in twenty five point five million domestically. The film debuted number four at the box office, behind Big, which also opened that week in less theaters, and Funny Farm would only last another three weeks in the top ten and would be the thirty ninth highest grossing movie of nineteen eighty eight, just ahead of Alien Nation, which we covered back in season four.
Speaker 2: Yeah going against Big, that's tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knew, right? Moving on to reviews. When growing up in the eighties, we would watch at the movies with Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert to hear the reviews and watch clips of upcoming movies. Their review of Funny Farm was unanimous two thumbs up. Ebert described the film as one of the year's Funniest Movies, while Ciskel called it the best chase film his made. Together, Ciskel and Ebert praised the film for its abundance of laugh out loud moments, sharp direction, striking cinematography, and precise editing to consistently end scenes at the perfect moment.
Speaker 2: Wow, no kidding, You know it's funny Bilt because I left out one piece of trivia here and I'll just put it appropriately in this segment. Gene Siskel said he received the most complaints from Ciskel and Ebert viewers for recommending this film. So the viewers the audience did not agree with Ciskel and Ebert's very positive outlook on this film.
Speaker 1: So Rotten Tomatoes gives it a Tomato Meter score of sixty four percent, with the Popcorn Meter score of fifty one percent, and also has an IMDb rating of six point two. So that takes us to additional thoughts and questions. What are some additional thoughts and questions you have about Funny Farm?
Speaker 2: Did you have a question right off the.
Speaker 1: Top, Jason, what is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten? That is great?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I wish I could remember I was on a cruise ship and we went to a restaurer was a great like themed restaurant. I want to say. It had an Alison Wonderland theme. And there were some really strange dishes they were serving and I can't think of them. It was just interesting recipes and you wouldn't think to put this with that, but it paired nicely and it was very tasty. And now I can't think of any of those items. I just I can tell you this much. I'll never forget the first time I tried octopus a sushi restaurant. I know that's not weird for a lot of people, but it was for me because I had never had sushi and this was my first time ever. And this was in Miami, and I remember Craig Rose being there and he's like, oh, yeah, I try this octopus and I'm chewing on a tentacle with the suckers on it, and I'm like, this is not for me. This is definitely not for me. I wasn't going to break any record eating the most amount of octopus in one sitting. However, Yeah, I'll have to think about that and see if I can come up with something else. But the weirdest strangest thing I've ever eaten. What do you have for this?
Speaker 1: I think my number one would be jellyfish?
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, just because the.
Speaker 1: Connotation of jellyfish is stinging and stuff like that. Where did you have jellyfish in Hong Kong? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's very chewy and not much flavor to be honest, so I don't think you have to try. But yeah, when they put it at our table, I was the only one that would try it. I'm like, what's the worst it going to happen?
Speaker 2: That just makes me think of when you hear the nightmare stories about is it puffer fish? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Very poisonous if you get the wrong Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just looks like a giant piece of gelatine. Just but yeah, I was super chewy. Second, I would go with cow's tongue. Okay, I can't remember where I had that at, but we were at there was a bunch of us and we were at a deli and they were serving it and everyone was daring each other to try it, and I'm like, I'll try it.
Speaker 2: Actually wasn't bad. There you go, tastes like chicken. Just kidding.
Speaker 1: No, Well, the third thing people say taste like chicken A lot alligator of course. H down in South Florida, I would say that's very close to chicken. So maybe people would be like, no, dude, you actually ate chicken. They just said it was alligator, But no, I think it was alligator.
Speaker 2: This was my mom. That would be my big three Great stuff. Man, Bill Bant, you're a writer. Sometimes I'm gonna ask maybe a few questions regarding this, and you're you're writing relationship with your wife, Hillary the Lovely Hillary Band. Have you ever had her read something of yours to give you feedback and how have you reacted to this feedback? Have you ever had to react to perhaps negative feedback as Andy Farmer has to deal with from Elizabeth in this film.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good question. There's definitely some things I've given her to read. I don't think she's ever given like pure negative feedback like Elizabeth did. But yeah, sometimes she'll have questions and I'll have to answer or constructive criticism, which I think most of the times warned because maybe something's not explained correctly, so I have to go back and fix it.
Speaker 2: So you do share your writing with her when it comes to your Yeah, on occasion like screenplays. Yeah, yeah, not talking novels here, of course, we're taking more like writreen writing. Yeah, okay, okay, Because I was just going to ask, then, what how would you feel if Hillary wrote a screenplay and managed selling it for a million dollars?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd love it? Yeah, exactly, you are. Bill Bant doesn't get jealous for.
Speaker 1: A million dollars. I'm not gonna tell.
Speaker 2: You be like, way to be Hillary, keep writing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, one thousand dollars, I'd be excited.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to keep rolling with this writing theme that I just was in my head about, just because I always I am curious with other writers, you know, as to their process. Right. So Andy and Elizabeth they move out to this beautiful country and Vermont, and that's where he feels he will find his inspiration, find the the space and the time to pursue his novel. What's your great What's what's your preferred creative space? Bill Bant is a writer, what's your ideal space to work in?
Speaker 1: I don't think I have it right now? Pretty much whatever the house I can find. Yeah, yeah, so if I had the perfect setting, it would be like a house over looking the beach. Yeah, that would be it. I mean the countryside's cute with the bird out there. But I always thought about it if I had the money, if I was really successful, I'd want some beachfront property and I'd be sitting by a huge window overlooking the beach.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, it's similar. I mean it's similar to this film. Similar to you, I would I'd be up in the mountains. I'd have a cabin in the mountains. I'd like the rural setting. I'd like that type of scenery. Also, I really love my quiet. I need the quiet, which is interesting. It's changed over the years where I used to always be listening to music, and I still very very much thousand percent need music as inspiration. I have to have my music. But I used to listen to music a lot while I was writing, versus now I think I really just treasure the silence.
Speaker 1: So it's funny you brought this up about the money with the equivalent nowadays. But I wanted to know how much it was going to cost Andy and Elizabeth today if they tried that with the thifty dollars. Oh yeah, so yeah, that equiveland today would be one hundred and thirty six rounded up one hundred and thirty seven dollars they would have to give each townfolk for kindness today's dollars.
Speaker 2: I also was wondering just guestimating how many townsfolk there were? How many people? I mean, what was the population of Redbud? Like, right, you think they probably had to pay like fifty people, seventy five more?
Speaker 1: Oh, I would say over one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot, a lot of people participating, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I would have started around the ten dollars mark, Yeah, start low. Last thing for me, I found this very interesting and it certainly made a lot of Smith sense. So Madeline Smith was actually the first choice to replace Shelley Longlan cheers no kidding. Yeah, but supposedly she has health issues which kind of prevented her from taking the role. Huh when you think about it, you know, then they picked uh Cursty Allie. Yeah. I wanted to make sure I said it right. Christi Ali, I'm like, oh, it makes sense. They look almost alike.
Speaker 2: Oh, Bill, this is great. I could totally see Madeline Smith in that part. Yes, thousand, absolutely, she would have been great. Yeah, yeah, she would have been excellent on cheers. I think I think she had some comedic chops in this movie. She's pretty funny in her delivery. I thought I thought she was good. Yeah, I said serviceable earlier, and that sounds as though it's a ding, but it's not really. I think she was good in this agreed. Well, I didn't really have anything else for thoughts or questions, not as of now.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to rating then. All right, all right, so here we go on a scale of one to five lamb Fries. What do you give funny Farm?
Speaker 2: So I'm going to surprise our listeners here a little bit. I'm kind of in a because of the I do love the ending, and I do have a nostalgic attachment to this film, and I do still look upon it overall fondly. I I'm going to give it three lamb Fries. I may begrudgingly maybe have to downgrade it to two point five that was my initial lamb Fry rating, but I'm going to give it three because I'm feeling positive and upbeat today. I have to say it's a little wild to think that the director of Butch Casside and The Sun Dance Kid made this movie and went safe with it doing this version because the book was not as safe, and that's what Jeffery Bowe wanted to do. But anyway, this is George broy Hill's vision of it, so it was, yeah, I agree with you, Bill, fine safe. I just felt like the development, especially at the end of the relationship between Andy and Elizabeth, wasn't fully fleshed out. I wished the obstacles with it of their relationship, the writing and the betrayal and stuff had happened sooner and that we could have gotten to the good stuff this Norman Rockwell Christmas painting of Red Bud. I wished all that had happened sooner in the films because that was the most fun. But chevy Chase, he's fun to watch. He might you know why chevy Chase. He reminds me of my dad. And I'm not you know, I'm not at all talking about chevy Chase is off screen persona or the things that say this is strictly the chevy Chase characters that he portrays, particularly Clark Griswold and National Lampoons. Just the always like kind of a gentle giant, tall, handsome guy that's always positive, always has an idea of things to do in itinerary, a plan and goals and things like that, and just wants to enjoy the outdoors and travel and all these things. That's my dad. And he's goofy and he's silly too, and he has silly jokes and things. So I do appreciate Chevy Chase characters for that because those characters he portrays remind me of my dad in the best possible way. So he's good in this. I didn't think. This is not Fletch, it's not National Lampoon, it's not Candy Shack. But he's good. I found the chemistry between him and Madeline Smith fine and good, and yeah, I would still. I think you said this earlier too, Bill, so to reiterate, if you come across this, give it a watch, give it a watch. It's feel good at the end. So I'm gonna give it three lamp fries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. I originally wrote three, and then we're going through the podcast, I'm like, do I need to knock this down to two right that half? But no, I think I'm gonna keep it at three because I do laugh. It does make me smile. But when you, yeah, break it down, there's a lot of flaws. It's just a weird thing. It's like, if you never see the movie, you'll be okay. But I think if you watch it, you'll enjoy it. It's not a must watch if you're gonna watch Chevy Chase movies. Yeah, this is probably the fifth or sixth to one I'm gonna list. Oh yeah, you're not missing anything, but it won't hurt to watch it. And uh yeah, I've watched a ton of times. I was still enjoying it. It goes by quick. Yeah, but yeah, you're right. That ending scene, Yeah, I wish that did play a little bit longer, well said. Okay, that about wraps up for this episode. As always, we appreciate you tuning in. Don't forget to follow us on your favorite streaming platform, leave your rating, and then drop us a review, hopefully positive one. I want to know more about our show, of course you do. Head over to All Eightiesmovies podcast dot com. We hopefully join us next time as we dive into another classic from the greatest movie decade ever in nineteen eighties. Till then, stay cool. We have an excellent to everyone.
Speaker 2: As a novelist. I turned out to be a pretty good sports writer. Thanks for staying up with us. Goodnight World,