Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H.
Speaker 2: Garden Line with Skip Richter's Hill.
Speaker 3: The bases in.
Speaker 1: The basis a gas. Can you shrim?
Speaker 4: Just watching as whom basis gas?
Speaker 1: Can you das man? It takes the sea battas in the great.
Speaker 2: Bed in the bassis like gas and again you dated Samos the globles back kicking, but it's not a sound. Credit the glassies and gas and.
Speaker 1: The sun beam between the bassis a gas and you jam starting and treating in the basses.
Speaker 5: Like gas became you date.
Speaker 6: Everything is so good and see and everything here is Sunday had its rim.
Speaker 1: Good mornings, Good morning, Welcome to Garden Line. That's what we're gonna do today. We're gonna talk about gardenings and all kinds of other things related to gardening as well.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And that part of that deal is you you know, I have things I like to talk about, things that I know are timely from the kind of questions I'm getting and what I'm seeing them out yard. But you guys help set the stage for the show. Really, I mean, what what are you interested in? Are we gonna talk about tomatoes today? We're gonna talk about lawns, talk about trees. Those are the big three that make the phone ring around here. Trees, turf, and tomatoes, the three t's. We'll have a lot of other kinds of questions though as well. All you gotta do if you're interested in asking a question is you can reach out to me. Seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. I was driving through some neighborhoods the other day. I have a habit of not liking to take and take the oh, I don't know, beaten path or whatever. You know, if I'm going across town, if I'm in a hurry, yeah I get on a freeway or whatever. But wherever I can, I like to kind of cut through a neighborhood, just see what's going on, see a lot of houses, a lot of plants, a lot of ideas, and I enjoy doing that. I was looking at a landscape that was just gorgeous as I was driving by. I caught my eye from the side and I looked at it, just stopped and looked at it. And when I first saw it, I thought this. I kind of thought, well, what is it about that landscape that makes it so attractive? And it was the layout. It was the layout and the design and where they had put plants and things. It just overall topped a bottom looked good. And I don't know if you've ever felt this way, but sometimes we buy things, we bring them home, we plant them. There are babies, there are plants, get them in the ground, and you know, we enjoy them. They look good and everything, but we always feel like, yeah, you know, I just don't quite know how to do this. And I've had people ask me before you how do you know where to put a plant? Of course the answers of it needs sunlight, it needs drainage and all that that applies. But esthetically, where do you put a plant? That is one of the things that I so appreciate about Peerscapes is they they know go to their website, go to pierscapes dot com, look at what they do. That's the bottom line, and when you look at it, it's like, Okay, I see that, I get it, and there is something to landscape design. Now listen, it's your yard. You can do whatever you want, you planet where you want. Like I like, I often say, it's between you and the hoa as to where you put things and how you do it. But if you want to have that nice curb appeal, if you want your house value to increase, if you want someday you're going to maybe sell it or you know, move on to some other house, you want it to be as valuable as it can be and as attractive as it can be, not just to get more money for the house, but to have it move faster when it hits the market and that kind of eye catching appeal. That's what they do so well. And I you know, I'm a plant person. I know plants, But when it comes to design, yeah, not so much. I mean, you could go and get me, I don't know, Rembrandts, canvases and painting and paints and brushes and everything. Set them in front of me, and I'll promise you it ain't gonna look like it's gonna look like two monkeys fell in paint and started wrestling on a piece of paper. I mean, that's my painting style. You got to get somebody knows what they're doing and in order to have that show place kind of look. And this is what they do, Chris. They do other things. They do landscape irrigation, they do, drainage areas, They do hard escapes. They do landscape lighting, lots of other things, but Pierce Capes isn't. They're professionals and they know how to do it right. You can give them a call to eight one three seven fifty sixty two eight one three seven o five zero six zero, but mainly go to that website piercescapes dot com. You'll get some ideas there, just like I do when I'm driving around town looking at cool landscapes. I won't take I almost steal that. Not the landscape, I almost steel the idea. I won't take it home, and I'm going to try some of that in my yard. That's how I enjoyed you. I don't know if you're a peruser of landscapes or not. Pet anyway, it's a fun thing to do. You learn a lot too.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 1: I was just looking at some of the weather coming up here. I got some scattered storms and stuff today. So far, it's pretty quiet out there in the Gulf, but that ain't the last. We're in a hurricane season and we will have storms coming through, and hopefully it won't be like last year where we had a couple of storms that just shattered trees, knocked them all over the place and put out power and everything like that. But it always reminds me that you got to keep your trees well pruned. And of course you've heard me say before. Affordable Tree Service, that's the one we talk about here all the time on guard Line. Martin Spoonmore's company. If you want to learn more about them, what they can to do some of the services, you can go to a fftree Service dot com a f F Tree Service dot com. You know you'll find out that they do deeper feeding, pests, disease control, stump grinding. Pre construction care so important. Maybe you don't. Maybe you you know, haven't even put in a landscape yet, and you're building a house. You got trees and you love those trees on the property. Don't start letting them put down trenches and foundations and sidewalks and things until you have Martin come out and have them advise you on what to do before the construction before the damage occurs, because you can it does a lot of damage to a tree to build a house around it. A lot of things are part of that process that you can avoid if you call them ahead of time. Martin spoon More's Company Affordable Tree Service. Here's the number seven one three six nine nine two six six three. But right now the number one thing you need get on the schedule because hurricane season is here. And are your trees ready? You know, a top heavy tree, a weak limb, you've got fences, you've got your house, God forbid, there's your neighbor's house, and so on. A lot of damage can be done by a tree that was improperly pruned over time and is now structurally weak. So just it's an ongoing thing to keep your trees as healthy and strong as you can. And that's that's what affordable tree service is all about. Seven one three six nine nine two six six three. Uh I uh am gonna be planting in my garden today. I've got a few things I'm putting out in the vegetable garden. I've been kind of focusing on my landscape a lot lately, and so the vegetable garden has kind of been ignored. But one thing I did that I'm glad I did, and I learned to do this a long time ago, is whenever you pull out a crop, you know you let's say you grew spin and lettuce and carrots, or something in a bed this past cool season, and it time to get all that harvested out for warm season planting. In between the time I pull the crop out and I plant the new thing, I always mulch the soil surface well. And right now I'm taking grass clippings from my yard, and I don't put them thick, because they get all gooey if you put them real thick. But fresh grass clippings a couple of inches deep is just fine. And they just sit out there and they dry and they cover the soil surface. And I do that with leaves, I do that with other things. When it's time to plant. What I'm gonna do is I'm gonna go out there and there are very few weeds in those beds. Had I not mulch ahead of time, it would have been a chia pet of weeds out there. And so what I'll do is I'll pull that mulch back and either set in the transplants or plant the row seeds or whatever I'm going to do. But it makes it so much easier because listen, when there's fire ants around, which they are when it's one hundred degrees, which it will be in the summer, you don't want to be out there pulling weeds so you can put in a garden. You want to get that stuff done ahead of time. And it's really easy to do if you just keep the soil surface moltt. Wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants a weed. That's true in your lawns, and that's true in your gardens as well. All right, just keep that in mind. Keep it malts. Make it easier on yourself. Don't make it so hard to try to try to keep everything nice and clean. I'm going to take a little break here. We'll be back in a moment if you'd like to be will it first up today? Seven one three two one two KTRH. All right, folks, welcome back, Welcome back to the garden. Iine, Hey, you got a question, give me a call seven one three two one two KTRH. Be happy to help with that. I posted something to Facebook just a few days ago. My daughter sent me a picture of a little fiddlely figed shed. She showed it to me one time. I was over there, and he's like, man, that thing looked bad. It was like it was closer to yellow than it was to green, literally, and it wasn't doing good, and I thought, oh gosh, I've been overwatered. Its roots are rotting and it's a goner. Anyway, it wasn't apparently, I guess it wasn't a root rot But I gave her a little sample of Medina products. There's a lot of Medina products out there, but the six twelve six it's the Medina has to grow plant food six twelve six. And the little sample bottle makes two gallons. And so she mixed up one and watered it in with it, and it's back in May. I believe she did this, and then she mixed it up again and watered it again with it. A little bit later and a lot of about a month is when she sent me the picture this of it again. She had the before and after, and it was dramatic, dramatic if there was a new growth coming ont the top of it. Now it is happy, but that doesn't surprise me. Medina products, there are a lot of different products. They've got their their humate. It is just well, it's called humade humic acid. Basically, it's what it is, and it just wonders for soil in terms of helping with the soil structure inside humus is part of what nature does to improve soil's physical properties. There's a lot of benefits for microbial activity, for nutrient exchange and other things in human at umic acid. It's a liquid you can use that. You can use that at any time you want to use it on anything, you want to use it. It works well. They also have a product I like a lot called Medina Plus.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: Medina Plus is the old Medina soil activator that a lot of gardeners have loved for a lot of time. Plus over forty different trace elements including also some plant hormones, natural growth hormones. It's got seaweed extract in it, and it just does. It just does. Wonders for giving your plants a boost. You need to give them a try. You're going to find Adena products everywhere. Feed stores, the garden centers we talk about here on garden Line, ace hardware stores, all kinds of places. We can find that whole line, whole line of Medina products. At work. Anyway, I thought that before and after picture was kind of cool, so I just since you are sent it out there on our Facebook page. If you don't follow garden Line Facebook, you ought to. We post stuff all the time up there. And if you also, if you want to follow a garden line with Skip, it's called Garden Line with Skip the that's an Instagram account that we put some things up on as well. Facebook's a little more active for me, but anyway, we do both. Let's see, I was talking about planting in the vegetable garden. That is something that I definitely need to need to get out and do. My garden has sat fallow for too long, and you know, he said, well, what does that mean too long? Well, I've been busy. I just covered in doing other things. Like I said, I've been taking care of my landscape. I've got some lawn issues that I've been having to deal with, and I don't know. One of my zoisias is having a little bit of a struggle. I know it's in a low shade environment. It's got little bit of some disease looking patches in it, and I'm having to get to the bottom of that and figure out what's going on with that, what's the cause of it. Part of the problem with my lawns is the fact that I've got two Golden retrievers weigh about one hundred pounds each. And those monsters, let's just say, when they go out there and start running, when they turn a corner, it pushes up a hill with their paws the size of a mole hill, because you know, they just trump the heck out of the thing. And then they like to kill the grass by going to the bathroom in certain spots. So anyway, you probably have dealt with that kind of thing. We can we can't have dogs in lawns coexist, and that's kind of what I'm working on in that. Well, tell you what, let's go out to the phones here. I'm going to head to Spring now and we're going to talk to Bonnie this morning. Well, hello, Bonnie, welcome to garden Line High Skip.
Speaker 7: I have a tropical high discus I got in December, and this it would get almost to bloom stage. The buds would start showing color and then they just drop off. One actually did fully bloom. And when it dropped off, I looked underneath and there was a little hole in one of the petals. So when I pulled the pedals back, there's a little green caterpillar inside and there were some eggs that I threw it away. And now I'm seeing little black spots and some of the butts. Also some of the leafs. Once in a while there's a leaf that is yellow and just falls off. So what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there are different things going on there. First of all, you did find the actual insect in the case of burring in, and they do some caterpillars that will attack them. That's that's just kind of part of the deal. The black spots could be a little tiny bacterial spot infections, or if they're bigger, it could even a city mold. When you have insects that sect the juices out of the plant, they produce a sugary water that causes a city mold to grow. But those are a little bit larger city looking patches as opposed to a little, tiny, small black spot. You can use an insecticide. You could use an insecticide on them to control things like that caterpillar and and other things that might show up. And that might be good. I know that that. You know, the climatic conditions that things are going through from fluctuations and so moisture content and whatnot can also cause issues with the getting them to go from the bud to the blooms successfully without dropping dropping those off. So watch out for fertilizing. They do want fertilizer, but excess is a lot of lush foliage at the expense of blooms, So watch that. Try to keep the water as even as you can. Too much or too little can cause that bud drop. And so that some of that's in your control. Irrigation. The rain is not in your control unless you move the plant where you have control of water. They like well drained soil. Certainly temperatures can cause problems, but I wouldn't. That's not the issue we're having right now with your with your hibiscus. But that's something else that can cause a bloom drop type problem.
Speaker 7: That sends something from ace culp is from bon eye called eight and sprayed with that other than if that's helping or not, are you familiar with them?
Speaker 1: What is in bone eyed eight eight? We see if I can pull that up right quick and find I don't know what the.
Speaker 7: Supposed to target eight different things?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you tell me what's in the label. They're not telling me anyway. Let me see if I can find something on it. I'll have to see the ingredient in order to know, Okay, it's.
Speaker 7: Got I don't have it with me right now.
Speaker 1: It's a synthetic. It's a synthetic peritheid. Yeah, that'll kill a lot of things. That'll kill the caterpillars, will kill aphids, it will kill, yeah, the things that are most likely to be on your probably not scale, but other things it would work pretty well on.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right. Also, I have a quite myrtle that was planted in March. It's fifteen gallon quaite myrtle at nice size. But I'm just now seeing a little white on the leafs. It's a fashion. I thought it was supposed to be the resistant and it's story need to get white. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Bashian part pink is. It's a pink, pink blooming crate myrtle. And it's an old time create myrtle. Been around a long time. People have loved that. I mean, it's one of the more more famous cret myrtles that we've got out there on the market. It's been around a very very long time. I don't it's powdery mildew. Trying to remember, I don't think it has strong powdery mildew. Resistance. Need to need to check that. I'm trying to remember it might I mean, I'm just saying I did. I should know. I did a big chart on powdery mildew, great myrtle varieties and powdery mildew. Uh, you know, success in terms of resistance rather to it. So you need to make sure and choose from the ones that are actually Bash's party. Pink does show good, good to excellent powdery mildew resistance, so it shouldn't be getting that. When you say white are you are you talking about like, do you know what powdery mildy looks like? Is that what you're seeing? Or you just something white?
Speaker 7: Another one? Once before I have seen it on a different crate than I took out because of the whe Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got about thirty seconds. I have to go to a break here. In thirty seconds, let's you want to just hang on. When we come back from break, I can continue with it on this one. Okay, sure, yeah, just hang on, you bet all right, got to run to break here. We will be back with your calls seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Just hang on, we'll be back to finish this crape myrtle discussion. All right, I just have to say one thing. I saw a Taylor Swift in concert. I know, I know, before she was famous. She was a backup singer to Brad Paisley, and we were over in New Bronfels, Texas, and I who Taylor Swift was. I guess not many people did at that time, but anyway, I thought that was cool. That's my claim. That's the closest I got to a claim to fame. That is that I went to a Brad Paisley concert. All right, let's go back here. We're gonna go. If I can find the right button, there we go, Bonnie. In spring, we were talking about powdery mildew. Powdery mildew if that is what it is, which you know, there's possibilities. It could be that your plant actually isn't a bashing party pink. It may be another pink variety that was sold as that. That's unlikely, but that's possible. That would be a reason why it might have powdery mildew. It could also be that what we're thinking is powdery mil do something else, but for powdery mildew. There are products out there that'll work. Nem Oil works pretty good if the plant's not too big to spray, but nemo coats the leaf and it prevents it for a while, so you would have to spray it regularly in order to control it. I just don't think people are willing to do that much spraying with For the pottery mildew, there are systemics that will shut it down for longer. Why don't we do this? Why don't you if you want to take a picture of it, I'm going to put you on hold and my producer will give you an email. Send me some close up, really well focused pictures of what you think is pottery mildew, and that way I can comment on it and we can be sure instead of me.
Speaker 7: Guessing that I can try that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well, I'm put you on hold here. You bet that's what we'll try here, Alejandro, pick up? You bet? Glad to do it? Glad to do it?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: The The folks at Nitrophiles have a number of products that just works super well. What one of those is a product called bugout Now bug Out Max, that's what it's called. It is an insecticide that you sprinkle out on the ground. It washes off the granules into the soil surface, into the thuch area, and it does a number on whatever kind of insects you've got. If we're talking about fleas and ticks, if we're talking about chinchbugs, if we're talking about caterpillars, that are it. It just works well. Bug Out Max from nitrofoss is available in a lot of different places. If you go to Enchinned Gardens out in Richmond Rosenberg on FM three point fifty nine, you're gonna find bug out Max. If you go to Hiding and Feed on stupidor Airline, or if you go to Plants Fell Seasons on two forty nine, they carry nitrofoss products at all these places. And so there's just an idea for you. Let's let's now go to the woodlands and we're going to talk to Huey. Hey, Huey, Welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 10: Good morning, first time caller. So I have a question.
Speaker 11: I noticed my backyard have a lot of zinc hole slash pots that is not making a big hole, but he just small pots everywhere.
Speaker 3: And it's not like the.
Speaker 11: Grass is still there, the sawds is still there, but it's like a little sink hole. So I don't know that's some kind of animal at the bottom that kind of take these holes.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how big are How big are they here?
Speaker 11: I would say about about a foot a foot why narrow depending when I walk through the little sink on my foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's different things that can cause something like that occasionally. You know, if you had if there were a tree that had big root under the ground or something, and then that tree's long gone, but now the wood is finally riding away, it'll cause there to be a soft spot that sinks down. Some kinds of animals tunneling underneath can do that. I'm assuming you're knowing though, that it's not something digging down from the top, right, It's just you're just walking on normal looking ground, but it's soft and sinks correct. Yeah, okay, it's gonna be one of those things. And you know that's getting outside my gardening expertise to go any further than that on it. But I have encountered that before for the reasons I just mentioned, I've you know that has caused it. I would just say, get you a good quality kind of a top soil or sandy loamy top soil, Sprinkle it over those areas and bring that bring that soil level back up, and then your grass should crawl back in over that and be just fine.
Speaker 11: So when you say sprinkles top soil, don't even cut out this on and underneath it.
Speaker 3: Just sprinkle on top of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's the fastest, easiest. And if you want to go in and excavate a little foot foot wide circle of soid whatever it needs to be, and then put some soil in there, step on the soil to kind of press it down real good, and then set your side back down on top and start watering. You could go that route too. That's just a little more work, and then you have to remember to water it regularly for the first couple of weeks to make sure those roots otherwise they'll start to die back if you get the water for a couple of days. Okay.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you could be right about the tree and with the old route, because I have two tall pine trees.
Speaker 3: They sit in the back, y'all. One of them was cut and they'd been there for.
Speaker 11: At least twenty plus years and new grow massive, you know, and the other one's still there.
Speaker 1: So I'm assuming you could be right.
Speaker 3: You know, it's in the proximity area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, well whatever cause did. It's easy to fix. But uh appreciate you calling in. Thanks good talking about Thank you, sir. Okay, sir, you bet, you bet. Yeah. It's always kind of interesting playing Colombo in the yards because it could be it could be a number of different things. You know, it's it's hard to just say for sure exactly what is causing some of these things. Hey, if you haven't been done to mass nursery, go down right now and and check out their hardy hibiscus. The hearty happened. Everybody knows about the tropical hibiscus down here. Those are the gaudy ones that come and ever color under the sun. I mean, they're amazing beautiful. Hardy hibiscus typically are going to be red, white, pink, or splashed or streaked versions of those three colors. That's their colors. But the blooms are huge. I mean, they're like we call them dinner plate hibiscus because they're that big. The ballooms can be that big on them. Moss has got a great selection. A lot of the new ones coming out from breeders now are pretty exciting.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 1: The foliage can be kind of almost a burgundy tinted green that's really gorgeous. It looks good. But moss has a lot of things. They've got something called sun patients. Sun patients are basically impatiens that were bred to take more sun. Normal impatients can't take too much sun. The sun patients they'll grow in a shady spot. But they also if it gets a little sunny, they can do that well. And some of them are beautiful with a yellow and green and the foliage and then the beautiful blooms. Impatients are a great little plant to choose while you're there. If you are into house plants or succulents, they have an unbelievable supply. I mean they've they've got, you know, like cactie, the barrel type cactie, the very upright right tall types of cactie. They've got the trailing succuments, the string of you fill in the blank. Moss is just the place you go to find everything, the standard you know, the standard things, vegetables, herbs, flower bedflowers, you know those kind of things. They've got lots of that. But the unusual. I love to go see some of the pottery that they have. There's some wall planters that are just beautiful, like one of them almost it was like a lady's face, but the head is kind of hollowed out up there. It's a ceramic talavera type, you know, with that Mexican pottery, bright color patterns on it, and you plant in the top and you just let something trail out of the top of it, you know, like diicondra or silver ponyfoot or whatever. You don't have to water it that much because it's a succulent. But go check out their containers as well. Whatever you need sun shade, dry, wet, annual, perennial bulbs, shrubs, trees, lines, hanging baskets. They've got it all there. And probably one of the most fun things about shopping at Moss is just the fact that it's eight acres and every time you turn a corner you don't know what you're gonna see, because it is the most eclectic nursery that I've ever seen, and it's just a lot of fun to go visit. By the way, it's on Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas. Moss nursery dot com. Moss is spelled m aas two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. I'm gonna take a little break here and we'll be back with our last segment of this hour. Already, welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us this morning. If you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two ktr h seven one three two one two ktrh. If you are seeing critters in your house, like La cucaracha is running around, you gotta call pest Brothers. They are the one who know how to take care of past problems, whether it's fire ins in your yard. You want to create a barrier so termites try to get to your house, they cannot do it because this soule barrier shuts them down for ten years. You want to deal with the cockroaches in the house and other things. Pest Bros Knows how to do it all. And also while Varmit's run around the outside, and what the mosquitoes flying around the outside? Boy, there's a welcome to Southeast Texas. They are they are rough down here. Pest Bros Knows how to treat them effectively and how to do so in the safest manner, so you get those long term results you're looking for without worries. You can call them for a quote two eight one two oh six forty six seventy I'm gonna say that again. Two eight one two zero six four six seven zero. Go to the website the pestbros dot com. If you're hearing my voice. Hearing my voice right now, they probably cover your area. They go from Texas City, Sala all the way up to the Woodlands on Interstate forty five, from Baytown on the east all the way west to Katie area. They know what they're doing, and like I said, they treat effectively and they do so in the safest possible manner. Dpestpros dot com. I have been enjoying a lack of mosquitoes at my house because of the mosquito buckets that dpest bros. Have installed, and they do ongoing service with those two. By the way, ACE Hardware stores are the place you go for whatever you need. That's why their motto. I don't know if they still call them Aces the place that was the motto. I think it still is. Anyway, it's a good one. They ought to keep it. Ace is the place it is. ACE is a place for it you fill in the blank. You need some good quality tools for doing do it yourself for work and things like tools from Milwaukee or from Craftsmen to Walt and so on. ACE is the place. Do you need barbecue equipment? Do you need barbie q pits themselves? And I'm in the top brands. You know, we're talking about things like Big Green Egg, We're talking about Trigger, We're talking about Rectech, We're talking about Weber They. ACE is the place you need paint and supplies and everything you would get from a hardware store. Of course, traditionally, ACE is the place do you want beautiful things for indoor in decorating your home making it more special, or great gift giving, you know, for a housewarming or going to visit a friend taking them a little gift. ACE is the place. Now you're gonna find ACE all over the place. All you have to do to find my ACE Hardware group here in Texas is Acehardware Texas dot Com. ACE Hardware Texas dot Com. You'll find stores like all Star, ACE up in Magnolia, K and M, and Kingwood on Kingwood Drive. By the way, Kenam also in a Tasca Seat on Timber Forest. Southeast down in Kilgore, excuse me, Southeast kill Gore's Clear Lake Lumber on East Main. Kilgore's Clarlike Lumber on East Main. Katie Hardware on Penoak in Old Town Katie, Port Levaka. Hey, you guys down southwest Port Lavaca on Calvin Plaza. Lots of ACE Hardware stores go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. But that'd be a good thing to do this afternoon. Just swing by and check out an ACE Hardware store. You will be surprised at what they have. Most things you can even buy them online and pick them up at the store if you want to do that. If you want to make it easy, but don't forget to join their ACE Rewards program. ACE Rewards is free and easy to join, and every time you spend a little money there, it starts to pay you back. You are listening to garden Line and I'm your host, Skip Richter. We're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. That is at least my goal wants you to have success with that, and part of that is taking care of your plants, making sure you're fertilizing them, making sure that they're getting the nutrients that they need. Sometimes people forget and don't fertilize like they should because, yeah, there's not on the top of the list. The plants alive, it's green, it looks good. Well, when we're pushing a plant, let's say, to bloom a lot. Nelson Plant Food has a neutral star line. There's a Nutra star for bugavillia's, there's one for blum areas. Of course, there's one for vegetable gardens and so on. There's a Nutra star for everything. But by pushing them along with that fertilizer at the right rate and good blends like Nelson knows how to make, you encourage leaf growth, which captures sunlight, which makes carbohydrates which is required to make a bloom or a fruit or whatever you're growing that plant for. But you need to follow the schedule on their labels and fertilize them periodically and keep them in a healthy state, not overfertilizing, but not underfertilizing either. If you see people that, if you see a place and it's just like blooms everywhere, they're fertilizing those plants and Nelson Plant Food is an outstanding product for that and their Nutral Star line comes in something for just about every kind of plant that you might have. That is true. I am going to have a guess later today from a Houston powder Coats. Houston Powder Coaters is the largest powder coat in this region. And for you going, what is a powder coat, Well, it's better than painting. But stick around in the eight o'clock hour, we're gonna really pick their brain on what is powder coating, how is it better, how's it done? And just so you understand that, because if you have outdoor metal that is rusting or just not looking good faded from the sun on the paint, you got to give them a call. Houston Powdercoders dot Com two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. Uh, just stick around for this. It is going to be interesting. Any kind of outdoor furniture and metal and decorations and stuff. They make it brand new and they make it last too. Shut down that rust fix those things they do minor repair on furniture too, like straps and vinyl those kind of things. Well, music means I gotta quit talking for a while. I'll be back though right after the top of the hour. Here you got a question you would like to visit about, and that would be a good time. Got an open board and on call on one hundred seven three two one two kat r H. I'll get you up there on the board and we will visit with you about the kind of gardening questions you have. When we come back, I want to remind you my about my website, gardening with skip dot com. Please bookmark that because we just keep putting more things up there that are helpful to you to have success in your garden. Gardening with Skip dot com. My schedules are on there, for example, how to control nut sege. Oh my gosh. Well, good morning, good Sunday morning. Welcome back to guarden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you got a question to visit about. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Let's head out to the phones and we're going to go to Spring Branch and talk to Jim. Hello, Jim, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Good morning, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 13: I have a question about a contry it's about sixty five years old. And yesterday I suddenly looked up because the area I normally look at.
Speaker 10: Was just fine.
Speaker 13: And I look up and I see the three other major branches of the tree. The leaves are all wilted and they're just hanging up there. So is there some disease going around killing the contrees or.
Speaker 1: No, not not like that. So it put out leaves and now the leaves are wilting, So that means something has messed up the plumbing in that branch. So that means, well, it's.
Speaker 13: Three corners of the tree. It's three quarters of the tree with the same branch. I mean three major branches going out, and I have one good branch and I don't see any damage.
Speaker 10: On it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the same thing, same answer though, So what's happening is water was flowing to those leaves and now it's not. And so it could be borers that are in the branch, that are in the way down where the you know, wherever, wherever you see a healthy branch, you go, you follow the branch out and it's got leaves. You follow the branch next to it out and it doesn't Something on that doesn't side is disrupting the float. It could be a number of things, borers or a possibility because they essentially cut the plumbing tubes that are carrying the water up to the top. It could be a canker, a disease, a wound, something along those lines. Now occasionally it's it's in the soil to a degree, an individual root. You could follow its flow path all the way up to a leaf. Okay, a little tiny root up all the way up to a leaf. So if you were to go on one side of your tree and cut all the roots, you would see a section of that tree wilt immediately because it had lost all its supply of water for the taking to survive the next pot day. Now, it's not necessarily right above that what you cut. Sometimes the trunk twists a little bit, and you know, the flow isn't necessarily just straight up, but generally it is. So I would look at the soil too, and say, what has happened on the side where, in your case, three fourth of it where you're seeing all of that wilting on the branches, and just consider that. It could be a trench that was dug. I don't know, it could be other things, but something unknown at this point is affecting the plumbing, and it has happened pretty darn quick. If you're seeing that, that's Has this been going on for months or is this just a new thing?
Speaker 13: Well, I just basically noticed it in the last couple of days. I saw a low wilted branch from the way the window is, and I thought it was just that one branch, and I walk out and I finally look up and it's like, oh my goodness. Yeah, Well, think there's any possibility of saving the street or is it.
Speaker 10: Just a goner.
Speaker 1: Boy wilting like you're describing. I'm I'm not positive about its opportunity or as chances of coming back, But I can't predict it. You know, I'm basically talking to you on a phone call here. I can't see the tree or walk around it or anything. I wasn't there the past weeks and months and stuff, and so it's really hard. It's hard to say for sure, but these kind of things tend not to be just temporary. Now, if for some reason that the three is sixty five years old, that's the thing that is kind of makes me not very hopeful for it. You know, if an area got dry well, the roots that supply that area could start to wilt and new water and they come back. I don't think that's the case with your tree. So that's leaving us with physically damaged plumbing. You know again, birrors, cankers, whatever, root rots, whatever, and that doesn't fix itself quick enough to save those branches. The demands are high, and the temperature is hot, and it's going to get hotter. So I would say unlikely, but definitely don't give up on it just yet.
Speaker 10: Well that's kind of what I thought she would say.
Speaker 13: Okay, but I think I'll watch and see what happens through this last branch, major branch going up.
Speaker 10: Okay, but yeah, if it's.
Speaker 1: Some time and see that that isn't We're not there. There wasn't any minor lightning strike or anything else like that.
Speaker 13: They no, no, no, we haven't hit any Okay, strikes.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm grabbing for straws. But the bottom line is, speaking of straws, the straws that carry the water up, something something to shut that down. Pecans don't have vascular plumbing diseases. Some plants get bacteria in the plumbing and it clogs it up. And the water camp from to my knowledge, pecans don't have a disease like that that would quickly shut down a tree like yours has exhibited.
Speaker 13: Well, I thought there was something called cotton roots rots that barons had.
Speaker 10: But yes, okay, but that doesn't fit right.
Speaker 1: They can get well, they can get root rots normally. There are several root rots that that are our plants and and pecans, you know, with with any kind of thing that shuts down the roots. Now, the pattern of cotton root rot is somewhat similar to that. The pattern is it affects the roots on one side, and then as the disease progresses through the soil, it kills more and more. And then so you look up on the tree and you're seeing a progression go through the tree somewhat like you're you're describing there. But you know, bottom line is uh, you know it. There's no control of that that okay.
Speaker 13: Okay, if I take this tree down, there's not a there's not a funge a side for for cotton. Yeah, if I take this tree down, do I need since the cause is kind of unknown, do I need to just send the wood to the to the garbage side or is it usable or with propagated somewhere else. If I use the wood for barbecue or a fire or something, yeah.
Speaker 1: I would be said, wise, No, it's not it's fine. You can do that. You can do you know. And the more we're talking about this, the more you know. I'd mentioned root rots initially, but I think that cotton root rot is an example. It generally is a little bit slower in progressing through a tree, but you know, those pecond limbs are up high, and we shuffle in and out of the house every day and don't always look up, so it could have been going on for a little longer. But anyway it is, it can affect up the cond trees and it flat kills them. I've seen orchards with sections, you know, huge areas that were like a like someone through a fire on the ground and it's burning outward, you know, from there, and you watching the trees decline in a pattern like that. And so there's not a there's not a good solution to it, especially at this stage where three pours of the trees gone, and if it is cotton root rot there, it will not bounce back. But if you could acidify soil, you can help stave that off if you you know, cotton cotton root rot likes high pH soils, and so if if you were it's very hard to acidify a huge volume of soil deep and wide and everything. But if if soil could be acidified, it would stave off a cotton root rot proliferating like that. So in case of your yard, that's not a solution, it's too late for that. But that that is about the only thing that we can effectively do. We don't have a fungicide that we just spray on the soil and it fixes it.
Speaker 13: Okay, Well, hey, well, thank you for appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry to be the bear about news on this one. But if you wanted to be sure, you could dig up a root. You'll see on the roots kind of a white, a whitish kind of matting underneath the outer surface. And if you saw that and want to send it to the lab of text A and M, the plant disease diagnostic lab, they could tell you, yeah, that's cotton root rot or not. But I don't think that's that is not going to change anything you do and will not help save the tree. So but I'm really up against a heartbreak here, So thank you for the call and sorry to be the bear bed news Jim. I got to run, folks, I'll be right back. All right, we're back, folks, We're back. Let's talk gardening. We're going to head straight out to Texas City and talk to Alan hey Ellen, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Thank you, sir. My quick question is about my front yard. I've been following the fertilization schedule last Saturday. I didn't mind er June first of July application and I'm working out of town. So my wife called me yesterday, told me the front yard and turn yellow, and the second between the sidewalk and the street don got major brown patch and looked like the yacht parts dead.
Speaker 1: So whoa.
Speaker 8: I'm coming home today to have about two.
Speaker 10: Or three hours to do something to the yard.
Speaker 8: Is there something you can tell me to do?
Speaker 1: Is there any way that you could have your wife shoot a picture over here, take one on the phone, email it over to the station for me to look at this morning. I mean, I can I can shoot from the hip. Okay, well I can shoot from the help, but yeah, ye for her, Okay, that's fine, that's fine. I'm just trying to help you as best I can. Uh. The yellow wing is basically it's usually a sign of an iron deficiency. But it's not because there suddenly wasn't iron in the soil. It's because roots have died most likely now. Roots can die from droughty conditions, they can die from soul compaction, they can die from take all root rot, which is a disease of the soil. So the causes are so widespread that it's hard to give just a quick answer to that's where a photo when you get home. If you're seeing the yellowing kind of erratic through the yard, like it's not just real clean cut here, not there, and so on. It's more just yeah, erratic, no pattern to it. That is probably take all root rot. Grab a grass blade and pick it a yellow grass blade, and hold up the light and see if it looks like green and yellow stripes going down the grass blade, like railroad tracks running up and down the grass blade. If you see that, then that is an iron deficiency and something's wrong in the roots. If there are a couple of steps you can take. Boy, I hate to prescribe stuff when we haven't even yet determined for sure what the cause is. But in your situation, kind of being in the mind here, you've got a couple hours and you got to get back out again. I would get a product from Fertilo that is a iron and other micro nutrients spray. It's a bottle. It comes a little bottle, little gray bottle, and it'll say iron and other micro nutrients is what's in it. And then I would get a hose en sprayer and folier. Spray the grass with that, Spray the whole grass with that. I would also get a product this is on my schedule, But for all the rest of you listening, I would answer this a little differently in a different situation. So I just don't don't assume this is my answer to every every take all problem. But if you wanted to get a product that is that contains a zoxy stroban a z O x Y S t R O B I n uh. And you go to you you're in sugar Land, you need go over to Southwest Fertilizer. Oh, Texas City, Okay, Oh, I'm sorry, I'm looking at the well an Ace Hardware store over there might have it. You may find it there. But a zoxystrobin is the ingredient that you need to find and you want to sprinkle it out. Here's the order of everything. I'm sorry to confuse you. I'm bouncing around here. To cut out the ozoxystrobin granules. It'll be granules. You want to water it in according to the label, and then hose in spray the foliage of your grass because you're bypassing the roots to get these micro nutrients into the grass plant. So those that's what's within your power right now. In a nutshell, longer term, we need to see pictures. We need to know for sure what's going on. What you're describing doesn't sound like chinchabugs to me. It could be, but they tend to start like near a curve, a driveway, a sidewalk, something rock masonry, and they gradually move out into the lawn. So closest to that concrete in the sun, it's the deadist and then as you go out it's yellow, and then as you go further out it's healthy green. That would be change gags, and that's a whole different thing. And all of these are on my schedule online at gardening with Skip dot com. So if you need to can't remember that as Oxystruben Later gardening with skip dot com find my lawn, pest, disease and weed management schedule and it'll tell you what to do, all right, ter fact, mister fact.
Speaker 8: Ken brown patches, stuff like that be tracked in by someone walking across your yards. They landscapers go from yard to yardyard and they walk across.
Speaker 1: Mind, you can move diseases on equipment theoretically, you know, maybe a grass blade sticks to their foot and the spores and stuff on it come in. But that's not the big problem. How they get there. Those diseases are pretty ubiquitous. And when we create the conditions they like over fertilizing, we get a cool front coming in, we get some rain coming in. That's when we see, you know, the brown patch circles start to pop up. Okay, so it's.
Speaker 8: I'm just settling in a bit with my wife.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean, could could it happen? Yes? But it's the analogy I like to use for this. I'll just be real brief he before we go is if you let's say you have a shady side of your house and it's a brick siding, and you have a faucet there and water mist is spraying out of the faucet under the brick. Suddenly algae starts to grow. Well, how did algae get on that brick? Well, it was it was in the air. It's everywhere, and you just created a nice, moist, cool environment and algae gre That's how these diseases are. So I wouldn't worry about people walking across the lawn being the problem. Okay, Well then I win in Okay, So, oh hey, I don't want any part of that. You know, you know, gardening advice is free. Well on god, yeah, she's probably listening. She's probably listening. Make yourself a comfortable place on the couch for tonight after talking like that about Yeah no, seriously, Well, a gardening advice is free. Marriage advice is three hundred dollars an hour. So how do you.
Speaker 8: Do I know when not to say nothing? After thirty seven years, I know when not to open my mouth.
Speaker 1: So I hear a wise man speaking, Thanks Allan, appreciate your call. My gosh, what happened? I sent him to Southwest Fertilizer. You know Southwest fertilizer is I don't care what you're looking for, any kind of insect disease? Weed. You need to fertilize. You need tools to do this. You need perunters. You know, you need a fertilizer spreader or a fire ant spreader or baits for everything. Southwest Fertilizer corner of this nut and Runwick. Listen. They've been around since nineteen fifty five. And you don't do that without taking care of your customers, doing it right, and make it sure when they walk in there they don't go, well, we don't got any of that. You might try down the street. No, Southwest Fertilizer is the down the street place that you go for everything. Seven to one three six sixty six one seven four four. Gosh, boy, that call went went south. Uh Michael and Sugarland. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Some morning skiff. Hope you're having a wonderful morning. Got a couple of questions for you. I've got a forties plus year old I've been told by one of the tree people it's a Carolina ash. It's about old, fifty sixty feet tall. Last year, out of nowhere, it was covered with what I've been told was web worms. I mean they were all over the three in different areas. I'm literally falling from the ground and calling. My first question is what can I do about them, if anything at all?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 6: And secondly, I've discovered a grass and I don't know if you know. I'm in Sugarland out in near the southwest part of Fort Bean County.
Speaker 1: It's too late.
Speaker 6: It's popped up all over my Saint Augustine and the roots are really very strong. Has anyone else in what the Johnnie mentioned is this very aggressive grass?
Speaker 1: There are several that it could be. But tell you what, Michael, You take a picture of it. Take a picture of it in the lawn, up close, as close as you can get, make sure it's in focus, and then pull some up and set it on a like a tabletop surface or something where you can zoom in and everything I see the grass and the weed and the picture and instead of it being mixed among other plants. And let me see a picture. I'll tell you what it is and what to do about it. But I got to see a picture to do that. As far as the webworms are concerned, they fluctuate your ear depending on various conditions. Their number one enemy is paper wasps, the ones that build the nest under your house. They eat caterpillars all day long, and so you break up webs and they have a chance to get in. Now, if this is a big, big tree like you're described, and you can't break up the webs up there, so you're left with spraying. And if you catch it early on, early before the whole tree is covered in webs and has no leaves on it, and you spray the foliage, but once or twice a week, depending on which product you use. Organic products like BT you're gonna have to spraym a couple times a week, something like spinosid maybe once a week, and then there are other products that will last even longer than that. But if you can get the spray up to the foliage when the webworms start to come in and chew on it, it'll kill them. But you can't get the sprays inside the webs. That's why we want to do it early when the first little sign of a web is occurring, because there's gonna be other webworms hatching out that you don't from the ground. You don't see them yet and because they haven't built that web yet, so that's the only way to avoid it. The other thing is do what nature does and that's put up with a little bit of defoliation here and there. The trees have are resilient, they'll bounce back. But if you ain't pretty so those are your options. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 6: But I guess, I guess basically what you see these things are not something that reside in.
Speaker 10: The tree over the fall or the spring.
Speaker 6: They're actually coming from the ground or from caterpillars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mothlight flies up there in lazy egg. I got ten seconds. But they occur in this time of the year, but they occur mostly in late summer and early fall. Thanks a lot, Michael, appreciate that call. You take care. I'll be right back, folks. All right, folks, welcome back to the guarden line on a lovely Sunday morning. Looking forward to visiting with you if you want to give me a call. Seven one three two one two kat r H. Speaking of water, imagine your backyard, and you got this rock patio, and right off the edge of the patio is a little pond with some goldfish or koy or whatever whatever you're interested in. You got some lily pads with blooms coming up, other kind of beautiful water plants there. Maybe there's a waterfall coming out of the side of of a little stack of rocks or something. You know, you get the idea. Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery out there in Katie, Texas can make that happen. They are specialists in that. Maybe you don't want to go all that way and you just want a big, beautiful ceramic glazed pottery urn with water spilling over the side. It's called a disappearing fountain. They invented it, and it recycles back and comes up back through the middle of the big beautiful glazed pottery and birds love it. Benefics of insects I like that too, by the way, But you have the sound of water as you're sitting out in the patio. They can make that happen. Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens, Katie Fort Benroe, just north of the Katie Freeway out there in Katie. Nelson Watergardens dot Com go check them out. Pretty cool stuff. Every time I go out there, I just want to loiter and listen to water. I really mean that. I love the sound of water. I got a little fountain in my backyard, and oh my gosh, just it's therapy. Gardening is there. It really is. Plants for All Seasons on Highway two forty nine, just north of Luetta is a place where you go and you get primarily, I would say you're going to get three things. Number One, you're going to get expert advice. These people that work at Plants Fall Seasons, the people that own the Flowery family, they all know their stuff. You bring them a sample, you bring them a picture, you bring them just a verbal question and they're going to point to the right thing. Secondly, you're going to get a great selection of plants that is suitable for the season that you're wanting to do. Like right now, your flower beds need color for summer. Summer shouldn't be a sea of green in your landscape. Give it some colors other than green, an addition to green. They can do that. Number Three, you need products that are quality products. Before you can even check out there, you got to go through the fertilizers and right outside is all the soil mixes and the mulches and things. You hear me say all the time, brown stuff before green stuff. That's how that's or is set up. At Plants for All Seasons. You get the soil right, you get the right plants, you get the right advice, you have success. That's why people love this place. Plants for all seasons on high Way two forty nine, just north of Luetta Road two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six. That is a fact. Beautiful, beautiful. Well, give me a call if you got a question. That would be a good time. We got open mines seven to one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt r H. I don't talk about container gardening enough in my opinion, and the reason is I don't see enough container gardening going on out there. A lot of people, you know, they just maybe tried containers and not had success. Well, I want to give you a few tips, a few tips so that you can have success with containers. Containers are great for growing vegetables, for growing herbs, for growing flowers, for beauty. One of the tips I would suggest is get a large container. Don't just put I know you watch TV in some gardening show filmed in New Jersey or northern California or someplace where they don't have the summers we have here. You need a large container to hold a volume of soil, which holds a volume of water and nutrients, so you're not water in that container three times a day trying to keep the plant out of drought stress. A large container. Get a quality soil blend to put inside the container. You get a quality soil blend, you put it in that container. A quality blend holds water and nutrients well, but it also drains well. It doesn't let itself become a soggy, mucky mess. It drains the excess out. And by the way, a quality container has drained a tools in the bottom too. And then you put the right kinds of plants in. If it's large enough container, you can do multiple plants. And there is nothing more beautiful then a large container with something tall coming up out of the center. You've got some things filling in around the sides, and then you have some things draping over a little vining, you know, pennant draping plant coming over the side. That is gorgeous. And you go to a good garden center and they can help you find They can help you pull a selection of plants that go together. You know, they need to either be in the sun or the shade, depending on where the container is going to be. And so your plant choice needs to match that a large quality container, invest in one. I know they can be expensive, but cheap containers don't last, they don't look good. So once a year, just once a year if that, get a nice container to add a glazed pottery to add to your outdoor living area, and I'm telling you you will enjoy it for decades. They last, quality soil to go in them, and then the right grouping of plants for the location. You can have containers beautifying your shade. You can have containers beautifying the sunny spots, but have some Now. One additional thing that I would add if you want to make it easier for yourself, a little drip irrigation system. It could be something you hook to the garden hose with a little timer on it that goes along and has a tube that goes in each of your containers, whether they're hanging baskets underneath an arbor, or whether they're container sitting out on the patio, that comes on and waters them all for you. If you get too many containers, you spend a lot of your day run around water in them all. You don't need to do that. A little drip system makes it essentially fool proof. So those are some tips, but we need more containers. They are so versatile, they're so beautiful, they're so useful. We should be trying more of them. If you are looking for renovating your deck, making it pretty, keeping it in good shape, all of those kinds of things, ACE Hardware has got you covered. They have the kinds of things you need to make that deck would last, the seedlings, the stain, and all kinds of other things. Take a look at your deck. Don't let it get too far along because as it declines, next thing you know, it's going to start to decay. Then you're going to need to replace the whole thing. ACE Hardware has got you covered, and that you know, hardware storees that pain. Of course, ACE has got top brands that will really really work well making that outdoor area so nice. I love going into ACE because I love living outside as much as I can, and they make outdoor living easy and enjoyable. ACE Hardware Texas dot Com is a website where you find all my ACE Hardware stores here in the East scenario stores like Ospa's, ACE and Crocodile up in the Woodlands. All seasons, ACE and willis u Valdi Ace on you Valdi Road on the east side of Houston. Go southwest to Bay City ACE on Seventh Street, or southeast to Chalmers Ace on Broadway Street in Galveston. Actually that's kind of south. Ace Hardware is everywhere. Go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com to find yours. Let's head out now to Magnoia and we're going to do it with Joel. Hello, Joel, Welcome to garden Line marrin Skip.
Speaker 14: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm well, how can we help?
Speaker 10: I sent some.
Speaker 14: Email in with some pictures of the Japanese maple. I've got two Japanese from Aple, once healthy. They were planted all about twenty years ago, and one is shedding, lease dying. I've I've been taking off branches as they get brittle, they got bones of them. I leave them there so I get some growth that is starting to come back. And I sent a picture of the healthy one to show you what that looks like and what the root area looks like. They both looked the same, So I just want to hit not any ideas of how to treat that.
Speaker 1: I'd hate to lose it. Yeah, well, you've got them in a good setting. They like to be in a partial sun, a good light, and everything like that. The one that's dying seems to be dying primarily at the top and on one side, that is probably something going wrong down in the root system, and I can't tell you what that is, but something is not right in the room over on that side. Check the trunk of the dead branches, follow them down to where they attached to living branches, and see if you notice any borer holes, sawdust, or any other sign of that going on. That would be the next step to looking at it. Overall, the root system looks good. I would throw a lot of multch over it, though it helps cut on on weeds and Japanese maple loves to be in a forest floor environment. Decomposing rotting leaves and organic matter on the surface. Those are all in your power. A little boost of fertilizer wouldn't hurt. You could certainly do that. And the only other symptom I see is the tip burn on the leaves, and that just means water and nutrients aren't making it fully up there to supply the demands of the plant. When you see the tips of margins burning, So that's my quick answer. If you want to delve into it any further, I'm gonna have to take a little break here, but we can come back and can you. But that's pretty much just I think of.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've been spraying with the polioge spray and then with micro life sea ocean spray or ocean sea whatever it is. The yeah, yeah, yeah, let's spraying that in the polage and then drenched around it. So continue that way then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, make sure the sol stays moderately moist, fertilized moderately most of that soil, and I think you set it up for its best chance of success. But check for boards and other things. Thanks, thanks a lot, Jarl. I appreciate, appreciate your call. We're gonna take a little break here. When we come back, Paul in Alabama, you'll be our first job, all right, Welcome back to guarden Line. Glad you with us today. Let's hit out here to Troy, Alabama. We're going to talk to Paul this morning. Hello Paul, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: How are you this morning?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good, doing good.
Speaker 4: Got a question for you, Well, one time you was telling somebody how to use the Facebook to take a picture of grass of flowers? Is that on your website anywhere?
Speaker 1: Not Facebook? Use your cell phone? But I suppose there's a way to take pictures of the Facebook, but I don't do it, so I don't.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: I have the phone there and I was thinking for Saint Augustine grass and it come up buffalo grass. Are you familiar with buffalo grash?
Speaker 1: Yes? I am? Are you? Are you? Are you taking this picture in Troy, Alabama?
Speaker 4: In Troy, Alabama?
Speaker 1: Yes? Uh, there's there's very unlikely that it's buffalo grass in Troy, Alabama, unless somebody had side shipped over and planted it in their yard or something. But I think you know the problem with those planet identification things is they can be really wrong sometimes. But if you want to send me a picture of it with something to show size or scale, put a pencil or a ruler or your hand in there in the picture. I can tell you if if it's buffalo grass or not.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 4: One other question this time of year, does Saint Augustine Grace have pod seats on top of it?
Speaker 1: Seedheads? Yes, it can not. All varieties are as likely to put on seed pod seedheads. The old common Saint Augustine does it a lot, But in the last few weeks and several yards, I've seen a seedhead or two here and there, but not a lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I was just curious and that's what I'll come up as buffalo grass, and I was almost sure it was Saint Augustine, but we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, buff yeah, buffalo grass. Seedheads are very tiny and skinny. They don't look at anything like those big flat things that come up out of Saint Augustine. Not any work close, but hey, thanks for the call, Paul. I do appreciate that call back anytime, you bet. Identifying gas is kind of an interesting thing. There's a lot of ways we do that. Sometimes you have to get down to the point of a microscope, not a microscope, a very good hand lens, looking at the hairs where the grass leaf attaches to the stem. How about that for identification. They're these little hairs or something called leaguals too. I'm not going to nerd out on you. I'll stop that. But anyway, trying to identify between's so many, many, many, many many kinds of grass out there. Grass is out there that it takes a little bit of time. Sometimes to figure out exactly which one it is. But most of the ones you're dealing with. If it's a sod a lawn grass, that's easy. I can just look at it and tell you without getting close. If it is a weed, probably easy if you send me a good sharp picture where I can see the grass itself and its growth habit. If you you know the summertimes when I'm always on my schedule, it's all about slow release fertilizers, you know, fertilized now with something that's going to laugh for a long time and carry all the way to fall. That's simple, that's easy. You do it once you're done. But there's times when you want to just give your grass a little quick boost. And Sweet Green is an organic plant food from Nitrofoss that does that. My neighbor puts them out. I think I mentioned this before. He puts them out this year, and we were talking across the fence the other day and he was like, man, that grass looks great. That stuff works. Yes, it does work. Sweet Green is an eleven percent nitrogen organic, one of the highest analyzes for an organic plant food. You're going to find smells wonderful. That's part of the name sweet Grain, so you can put it in the back of your car. I jokingly say, when you buy a bag of it and throw it in your car, you can want to drive around loops six' ten an extra trip or two before you go, home just to enjoy the. Smell, okay that's, ridiculous but it makes a. Point put it, down water it, in and watch you turn. Green don't overdo. It you, know we don't want to create a lot of top growth at the expensive root growth this time of. Year but you got some areas that are struggling that need a little. Boost this is a great way to give them that. Boost you can do Sweet green all through the summer if you, want and small applications over time where you're kind of, work you, know kind of feeding it in small amounts as you go. Through that's fine, too however you will go about. It it's a great product that really does work this time of the. Year i'm Mainly i'll suggest it to somebody that needs to give their grass a little quick. Boost Night foss products are available at places you, know like Dand feed And. Tombal you go TO Rcw, nursery you're going to find nitrofoss. Products you go To Ace Hardware citi a Memorial, drive you're going to find nitro foss products there as. Well you are listening To, gardenline we're about to come to the end of this. Hour next, Hour i'm going to have a special guest come in From houston Powder coders and we're going to talk about what is this thing called powder? Coating how does it? WORK i think you're going to find it interesting because most people have some type of outdoor metal furniture or metal art or even metal in you, know like a lamp post or something like that that's outside that you want to make sure it, lasts it doesn't, rust it doesn't corrode, away and it looks. Good And Robin orlando From houston Powder coat is going to be here and we're going to pick her brain a little bit on some of this, process AND i think you're going to find some very interesting. Things and if those of you who love on the, coast there's even a type of coating that they can do where you're dealing with things like the salt spray and whatnot that just eats metal. Alive so here we. Go that'll be the next. Hour this, morning i was looking outside And i've got some cardinals that love my. Feeder i've got my feeder stocked with The Wildbird's Unlimited nesting super blend that's exclusive To Wildbirds. UNLIMITED i also do their cardinal confetti that they have, there and my birds just love this. Stuff it's because everything in the bag birds want to. Eat bottom, line you can get six wild birds store in the. Area six of them go TO wbu dot com Forward Slash. HOUSTON wbu Dot Com Forward Slash. Houston they're gonna have the advice you, need the expertise you, need the, feeders the, houses the quality feed Wild Birds. UNLIMITED i love my. Feeders i've got the exclude the. Excluder squirrels can't get. In they hate. It you will not believe the language they use around that feeder because they.
Speaker 15: Ain't to do.
Speaker 10: All.
Speaker 1: Right music MEANS i gotta quit, talking but we'll be right. Back we'll be right. Back just hang, around.
Speaker 16: Folks, see, hey welcome back to the garden.
Speaker 1: Line we are in enjoying OUR i hope you. Are this shows all about how to have a bountiful garden and a beautiful, landscape how to have more fun in the. Process how to make your outdoors more. Beautiful that's JUST i. LOVE i love being, outdoors and anything that makes it more bearable more, BEAUTIFUL i think is a, great great. Thing we deal with those fire ants, outside we deal with the mosquitos, outside you, know those kind of things we have to deal, With, well we have ways of managing.
Speaker 12: Them.
Speaker 1: All you hear about me talking about that on garden line all the. Time it's not that difficult to. Do by the, WAY i just wanted to mention the fact that fire ants seem to be just or are just an ongoing. Problem remember when you're going after, fireance you got two. Options you can do an individual mound treatment to kill the answer are there right, now or you can do a bait treatment that reaches the whole area and mounds you don't even see the bait. Gets AND i would recommend bait treatments in. General there's a lot of baits on the. Market they each have their own way of, working specifically different chemicals that are in them that do, this but they are super low in. Toxicity and here is. Why if you had a very strong insecticide that when littlelap picked up the granule to take it. Home it killed. It, well they would never make it to the mound to kill the queen and all.
Speaker 10: The rest of.
Speaker 1: Them so these are very, low low low, doses and they're put out at very, low low low, amounts like one pound of bait per acre of ground your yard probably an. Acre and so it doesn't take much at all to do. This it's a granule, here a granule. There don't dump them on the, mound spread them. Out ants will be out looking for. Them if you don't know if answer out or. Not by the, way they tend to be out at the milder parts of the day during, summertime the heat of the day not as, much but they're. Out you can throw a potato, chip anything oily protein and a tuna fish can, lid you, know a couple of freedom on the. Ground if they're out and, about they're going to find. It come back fifty minutes. Later if their ants all over it time to. TREAT i like to cut hot dogs up into little little, sections like a quarter. Inch and you know those wireflags that they, use like to mark an irrigation line or. Something you get one of those and stick it on the hot dog and stick it in the. Ground that, way you can find your little hot dog out there in the middle of the yard and you come back to, it and, boy if their ants are out and about, foraging they'll be all over that hot. Dog it's funny how they line up. Too it's kind of. Cool. Anyway that means it's time to. Bait bait, baits suppress the mounds you don't even see. Yet so that is the most environmentally sound way to do. It in, fact if you think about, it with a bait type of an, application you're going to be able to avoid mounds that are not currently visible and. Present just doing individual mound treatments only is playing whack a mole with fire. ANTS a mound pops, up you treat, it but what you don't see is a mound over there to the side that is forming underground but hasn't if you will boiled up to the surface sort, of you know with that that pile of dirt coming up out of the. Ground, uh and and so individual mound treatments have their. Place you, know you need to do something. Fast you want to get rid of. Them you want To you got a party coming up tonight or tomorrow or it depends on which product you use for. It you can get rid of them, fast but the bait should be the foundation of what you. Do bottom. Line that's a Bottom and by the, way if you are one hundred percent ORGANIC u there is a bait called come And Get it By Fertile home that is spinosid and organic. Insecticide it's spinosid, based spinosid. Based so there you. Go you even have something for. That all, right let's head out To. Magnolia now we're gonna go To magnolia and talk To. Ronnie good, Morning, Running welcome to Garden.
Speaker 17: Line hey, buddy, HEY i sent you a question on pre emergent and you'd ask IF i called, in maybe the audience wanted to hear the.
Speaker 10: Answer getting prepared my ju Line august, planning you recommend, that?
Speaker 1: Okay and oh, yeah and these are these are vegetable, beds right, Running, yes, yeah you know there is a. PRODUCT i don't know that it's labeled for. VEGETABLES i have to check. IT i think it's called preen that you shake it out of the container onto your flower, beds and it is a pre emergent that's labeled for flower. BEDS a lot of our lawn pre emergence are not labeled for flower beds and. Gardens. Uh BUT i don't do that in my vegetable. GARDEN i just you, KNOW i work up the, SOIL i get my planting, ready and THEN i molted really, heavily AND i just don't find a pre. Emergent Plus i'm always moving soil, around digging, up you, know planting, seeds putting in, transplants and so that breaks that force, field that surface covering of the pre emergent that prevents wheat seeds from coming. Through and SO i just find THAT i would rather just use mulches to do, that but you might, It, yeah, good a good thick. Multch and when a weed comes up and it's, young you, know just catching it. Early i'll do some just a little quick hampulling here and. There But i've GOT i have four beds right now that are that are, open and they are like three feet wide and twenty feet, long and there's probably four weeds Because i've just kept it. Covered every TIME i mow the grass and it's a little, TALL i take the clippings over there and shake them on the soil surface down those. Beds so When i'm ready to, PLAN i can pull it back and go to. Town that's the best. Way and that's what nature. Does nature drops organic matter on the soil to block weed.
Speaker 13: Seeds And i'm as you, Said i'm changing and replanting all the, time so it would disturb that pre.
Speaker 3: EMERGENT i see.
Speaker 1: That, okay, yeah yeah it. Does it's just not really practical in a vegetable.
Speaker 15: Garden, okay, buddy thank, you.
Speaker 1: All, right thanks for the. Question appreciate that very. Much good to have you call. Yeap that is? IT i just you, know in vegetable, fields, farmers, growers they use they have pre emergence for what they. Do but they're going in, there they're plowing the, field they're getting their plants in and stuff and putting the pre emergent, down but not a whole, lot not a whole, Lot and in a vegetable, GARDEN i just don't think it's practical to do. That the product that let's see what WAS i, oh, yeah we were talking about the different ingredients and. Stuff there are some ingredients that aren't so available on the home garden shelf that would be, available you, know commercially that people could use but, hey the WAY i look at this is probably most of the GARDENING i do you would costfi as organic. Gardening there are times WHEN i need to do something, different AND i will there are times for, Everything BUT i don't just treat things organic or synthetic products WHEN i don't need. TO i try to avoid. That it cost, money takes. TIME i don't want to spend my saturdays mixing up smelly water to spray on plants to kill. Bugs i'd rather enjoy my garden out there at that. Time so there's a lot of things we can do culturally to manage pass the things we do to avoid pass resistant, varieties don't do things that help increase disease and pest. Problems and when it comes to a vegetable, garden my, gosh mulch is so. Available you grow it at your. House by the, WAY i don't know your grass clippings are mult your leaves shredded and caught in a lawnmower bag or, mulch AND i just stockpile those things and use them all. Year and then there's wonderful store bat mulches. Too let's see, here we are now going to go To conroe and talk To. Jimmy, Hello, jimmy welcome to Garden.
Speaker 10: Line good, Morning thank.
Speaker 1: You how can we?
Speaker 18: Help how often can you put that nitro foss bug out?
Speaker 1: Out you shouldn't need to put it out?
Speaker 10: More go.
Speaker 18: Ahead my other question IS i have an eastern red buck tree that's really dropping the. Leaves it's probably about fifteen years. OLD i looked at it AND i took it to some leaves and stuff over The County Extension, agency and they really couldn't give me any kind of answer on.
Speaker 1: IT i looked for. Boards all, Right, Jimmy, yeah let me let. Me let me do. This i'm up against the. Heartbreak hang, on we're gonna come back and answer those two questions from. You Just i'm put you on hope for a. Second we'll be right. Back, alrighty welcome back to the Garden. Line we're gonna head back out on the phone. Now talk To jimmy And. Conro, So, jimmy you've got a you won't know how often can you put up bug out max from night? Foss and you. Can you shouldn't need to do it more than once in a. Month it. WORKS i mean it goes down there and lasts and does its. JOB i generally would say once in a summer is all it should. Take but if you needed to reapply it later, sometime that's. Fine we have different times that we're. Applying for, example maybe you're doing an early treatment for grubs and then a month later you've got chinchbug showing, up and so you have to do it again for, That and so that's kind of how often you might apply. It as far as your tree dropping, leaves red buds are not super long lived, trees and they do have issues that come. Up and AS i think you mentioned jerisels a few years in, there and so it's not unusual for a hot, weather, drought any kind of a root, damage things like that to affect. It you see and. Browning if you see browning on the edges and tip of the, leaf that's a sign of a plumbing, problem meaning water is not getting to the leaf and that could be due to lack of water in the soil or something like a borer blocking cutting the tubes that flow that water up to the. Top it could be one of those. Things can you describe what the leaves look like that you were taken into the to the office for them to look.
Speaker 18: At, well they'll turn you, know, yellow and you, know different shades of, yellow and then, EVENTUALLY i mean they just dry up and they'll be.
Speaker 10: Brown, okay, Solved no sign of.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, well anything done around that redbud tree trenching and you, know anything done over the soil or in the soil or to the roots or that you can think.
Speaker 18: Of, NO i use that nitroposs what is that fifteen nine, ten, yeah fifteen.
Speaker 1: Five huh the red bag The Imperial, YEAH i use. It, yeah that's good.
Speaker 18: Our fall of their spreading flation. Program, yeah never, heard no, Problem, no, never, No, no that's not a that's not the, problem that's for.
Speaker 1: Sure but when is your red butd tree growing in the turf where grass is grown up to the, trunk or is it in a flower bed with. Mulch it's in the, Turf, Okay sometimes as you mow around it or weed eat around, it you nick the, bark and when that wound, occurs you can get a disease that, attacks as we call them, cankers that attack and kill some of that. Tissue and that might have been a factor in. THERE i don't know that it, is BUT i always like to see a nice mulched area around. Trees they're happier with. IT i would, say right, now about all that's in your. Power if you've, done if you've done the when was the last time you used that nine, five, fifteen five to?
Speaker 18: Ten let's see it's probably around.
Speaker 1: May, okay, well you're good to go on. That that tree doesn't need any more. Fertilizing just make sure it doesn't lack for. Water that's what's within your. Power look for sawdust or holes around the tree, anywhere AND i think you've done that, already but keep keep an eye out for. That and look for sunken spots on the bark where maybe a canker has killed the bark underneath and it's kind of sinking in a little. Bit there's not a spray for. Those but we're just trying to figure out how old did you say it? Was did you say fifteen?
Speaker 10: Years be at least fifteen?
Speaker 1: Years, okay, Yeah so it is a beautiful. TREE i wish they lived more dependably, longer but sometimes they run into. Problems but that's about ALL i can tell you without actually seeing samples in my. Hand, Jimmy, WELL i appreciate you. Day thank, you you too appreciate that very. Much let's go To oakbury and talk To. Lee, Now, Hello, lee welcome to Garden. Line Fine. SKIP i have a banana.
Speaker 19: Tree it's about fifteen sixteen inches. STALL i was wondering what kind of soil WOULD i put it?
Speaker 1: In are you putting it in a pot or are you going to put it in the. GROUND i was thinking about putting it in a. Pot which would do you think it'd be? Better, well it'd be better in the ground because it has access to a lot more soil and moisture and. Nutrients you can grow a banana and a. Pot you just have to be extra careful to do small doses a fertilizer regularly and to water almost, daily you, know keeping that thing in its best. Shape the bigger the pot are, better the pot will. Better thing that restricts its growth better in the. Ground if you can find a kind of a protected, spot you, know maybe on the south side of your house or something under the eaves or near the eaves or, whatever where it's a little protected from the coldest. Wind that, way maybe you'll get one of those trunks to survive through the winter and you can have a crop of bananas the next. Year but typically what happens is they freeze back to the ground and then they come back, out but they don't they don't produce having been killed to the. Ground so putting it in that kind of a, location they need lots of. Sun the more, sun the, better. Man if you're putting it in the, GROUND i would get something Like Heirloom soil's got a veggie and herb mix that would be perfect for mixing into the. Soil there's also A rose soils that you see heirloom. Calls there's rose and other flowering, plants but mix that into the bed to get a good high organic matter, content and then dig the hole and plant them in that.
Speaker 10: Bed, okay so you said heirloom.
Speaker 18: Soil.
Speaker 1: Yeah heirlooms a brand of products. Here they're sold by the bag all over town and they have a number of different. Mixes but there's one Called roses and other, bloomers and there's one Called veggie And. Herb they also have a fruit tree. Blend all of those are gonna work fine for. BANANAS i.
Speaker 19: See, okay, okay, okay, okay all, right sah. Yeah let me ask you one quick. QUESTION i have a. Child, oh a cherry tree that's not producing. Anything what do you think might be the? PROBLEM i HAD i put it. In, uh, well my son put it in some guard buchanus plant food.
Speaker 1: And you, said. Cherry it's a cherry. Cherry, yeah what kind Of do you know what kind of cherry it?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 1: Uh not off and it's still got the tag on. It M, oh well that'd be that would be good to. Know is it did they sell it to, you like as a native cherry tree or did they sell? It is it something that's for for growing fruit to? Eat do you you?
Speaker 19: KNOW i don't know anything about. It i'll have to call you another time on.
Speaker 1: It, yeah let's do. That, yeah why don't you Do why don't you do? That i'd be happy to visit with you about. It get the tag if you, Want i'm going to put you on hold and uh and if you, want my producer can give you an email where you can send me a picture of the cherry leaf close, up you, know like you hold it in your. Hand take a picture of your. Phone. Uh that would even be better for me to turn and which one and that way we can get to the bottom of. This but either, way thank you for the call and look forward to visiting in the future with you on this. One let's see, Here, OH i wanted to tell you a little bit About arctic insulation. Solutions now it is, hot and if you've been up in your attic during the, day first of, all tie roper on your, legs sing out the drag out of. There when you pass. Out it's. Crazy one Time i've been in the attic, before it gets. Scary it's so dead gum. Hot but when you're looking at one hundred and fifty one hundred and sixty degrees and, yes it can reach that that heat is radiating and it's coming into your living, spaces and especially if there's gaps in between the if you take a wall plate, off like where you plug things, in you see a gap around there and the air can move from your room back into, there or vice. Versa in the. Ceiling you know where your lighte fixtures, are where your ceiling fans. Are arctic insulation solutions can seal that. Up they can also put insulation in your attic to. Help they can put radiant barrier in the rafters of your attic which reflex heat, out and then they can do something pree cool called a solar attic. Fan whenever it gets starts to warm up up, there the fan comes on and it just pumps that air right out and so fresh. Air it's hot. Air our air temperature outside it air way cooler than an, attic and so it brings the ambient air around in and it helps cool that attic down and it saves your money on your. Bills you're spending a lot of money ON ac and. Electricity sometimes can't even keep up with the. Temperature you can't get that thing to drop down cool enough because it's so dang hot. Outside Arctic Insulation. Solutions now here's the. Website, now if you're like, me you need help spell An arctic because there's A c in the middle Arc, tic we should Say Arctic arctichuston dot, Com Arctic houston dot com eight, three two five eight six twenty eight ninety. Three give them, all give them a. Call don't waste all your money all. Summer call them now so you can get that. Done they cover a wide area from way out west In brookshire over To, baytown and from way up And willis all the way To. Galveston they got you covered we're gonna go now To houston to talk To. Dudley, Hello, dudley welcome to Guard Oh, Dudley i'm SORRY i made the mistake of taking your call thirty seconds BEFORE i have to go to a hard. Break hang on just a, second, Sir my. Apologies will be right. Back you'll be first, up And joseph And katie you'll be right After dudley when we come back from this. Break just a reminder, again go to the Website gardening With skip dot. Com that's where you find my schedules and lots of other information on how to have success in your. Gardens thank you for. Listening we'll be right back, Alrighty good morning on a Lovely sunday. Morning thanks for listening to The. Guardline good to have you with us. Today if you're looking for a quality product that is, natural, organic WELL i say product. Products microlife has got you. Covered they have a fertilizer for pretty much any kind of plant you want to. Fertilize, now for the, lawns we generally recommend you use the green bag The microlife six two. Four it's a three one two. Ratio it's the ratio of the plants take up the especially the, lawns take up their nutrients in six two four green bag and you can do. IT i would do it two or three times during the course of the warm, season you, know not just. Once but you could do it earlier in the. Summer you can do a little later in the, summer carry on in to that fall. Fertilization haven't done any, Fertilizing, well now it's time to get it. Down it's the number one selling organic fertilizer In. Houston it's not gonna burn your. Lawn it's not salt. Based it's a natural. Product you put it, down you watered. In microbes take it from. There they release the nutrients to your growing, plants just like it's done in. Nature, now if you're going to do the green, BAG i would suggest grabbing some of the humane. Plus that's a purple. Bag we call that Concentrat it had compost in a. Bag humus is a final decomposition stage of organic. Matter and when you put humates into the soil onto the, soil they work their way. In you begin to improve the structure of the. Soil better structure means deeper, oxygenation it means better root. Growth it means more microbial. Activity it means the lawn is happy and it. THRIVES umhs plus is not a fertilizer per, se although it does have some potassium in. It but we put it down as a way of continuing to build the, soil which is what the organic system is all. About build the, soil improve the. Soil the better the soil, gets the better the. Results And microlife has got you covered for. That you can go to the website or, yeah their website Is microlifefertilizer dot. Com Microlife fertilizer dot com find out more about it and all the other products that they. Carry let's now head out To, Katie texas and we're going to talk To. Joseph, Hey, joseph welcome to Garden.
Speaker 17: Line Hey, slip how are you?
Speaker 1: Good how can we help the? Day So i'm trying.
Speaker 17: To get my loan to look like a golf course and all, RIGHT i got the weeds taken care, of BUT i have a bunch of grassy weed AND i sent you pictures and it seems to be getting, worse especially in this in the. SUMMERTIME i have neighbors that their yards are very, bad AND i don't know if it's coming from their yards or what to do about.
Speaker 1: IT i don't have A joseph. Email did it come in a different, name do you? Think or how long ago this was a this was last week that you sent?
Speaker 17: It, yeah last WEEK i sent it.
Speaker 1: And then oh, okay, okay, yeah, yeah, okay. Yeah let's see. Here i'm Not i'm. Looking i'm trying to hunt down The you say you have nuts edge crabgrass in.
Speaker 10: THERE i THINK i think.
Speaker 1: One here we. Go, okay let me let me open these up and take a. Look, okay you put down a barricade, product and that is a pre emergent and you have to get it down before the weeds. Sprout, Uh and a barricade will not work on nuts. Edge nutsedge is coming from underground, tubers and so there's that's a whole nother. Thing the other weed you sent me a picture of is called. Doveweed doveweed it's almost a, rubbery Little Saint augustine looking sort of weed that comes up and it's a. Challenge it's a challenge to get doveweed under. Control let's start with the. Nutsedge i'm gonna make it easier and just say go to my Website gardening With skip dot, com and there's a publication Called nutsedge an In Depth, look and it will go into the kinds of nutsedge we have and what you do about them and how to do. It and the fast answer is you use a product Like sedgehammer that's one brand of the, ingredient but by publication gives you other, brands and you do it every time a nutsedge plant is up and has three to five, leaves and you never let it up for. Air you do. Not if you let it come up and have five leaves or more and keep, growing it's making daughter plants and you are probably have eight times the nut said you had if you had treated it. Earlier so that's the quick. Version but read that publication At gardening With skip dot. Com it'll tell you what to do. Now the, doveweed on the other, hand is it's a. Sleepyhead it doesn't tend to come up until things really warm. Up so whereas other weeds are, sprouting you, know let's, see you're, in you're, In. Katie other weeds are sprouting kind of maybe Late, february but mostly in Early march and Through, march doveweed sleeps until About may sometime and then begins to, sprout and so you you can go after it with pre. Emergence BUT i don't think you're going to have success on it with the barricade. ITSELF i have not tried barricade on that particular. Weed but right now you can use a product Called celsius on, it and it's very. Effective it's not, cheap but you buy it in little packets that make one, gallon so that makes it more, economical and so a gallon goes a long way because you don't have to drench the. Weed you just have to get it wet with The celsius and using a, spreader sticker something to help it not roll off those slick dove weed leaves will make your control, better.
Speaker 17: All, right, Perfect, YEAH i notice it's worse in The it seems to get worse when it's, rainy when it's.
Speaker 1: Wet, yeah it loves, yeah it loves, it and it loves warm. Weather and, yeah it's a it's a it's a problem. Weed but the INFORMATION i gave, you can you can turn this. Around you can get under.
Speaker 10: Control all, right all, right thank, you thank, You.
Speaker 1: Yeah thanks a. LOT i APPRECIATE i appreciate your phone. Call let's see. Here where are? We, okay we're going to go to now go To debbie And. Alvin, Hello, debbie welcome to garden. Line Hey, skip.
Speaker 3: Can you hear?
Speaker 10: Me, okay because, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 20: Yes, okay, Okay, sorry trying to control the phone in the.
Speaker 3: Car and all.
Speaker 1: Right, right about.
Speaker 20: Fifteen minutes, AGO i sent you a few pictures of my.
Speaker 1: Grass i've got. Them i've got.
Speaker 20: Them two years ago we had the most beautiful, lawn and now we have these big dead. Patches someone just a few days ago told us they thought it was grub. WORMS i don't think we've ever had to deal with that. Before but then we have this invasion of some kind of weed or other grass THAT i tried to send you close up pictures.
Speaker 1: Of, yes, YES i got, THEM i got. Them so here here's what's going. On something is killing Your Saint. Augustine judging from the pattern of, IT i would lean toward take all root rot in that. Area my publication on my Website gardening With skip Dot com Called Skip's Lawn Pest disease And Weed management schedule. Lists when you treat for take all root rot on there and what do you use for take all root? Rot SO i would recommend you go get. That you can print it out and it covers all the different insects and diseases and past you just hang it up in the. Garage you're ready to. Go, now what's happened is as The Saint augustine has gotten weak and, struggled you've got two different. Weeds let me see is it? TWO i see two different weeds in. It one of them is bermuda grass that's taking over and that's very hard to get rid.
Speaker 19: Of.
Speaker 1: Uh and it from a homeowner, standpoint there's not a product you can go out the garden center and buy that kills bermuda, grass but Not Saint. Augustine professional landscapers have access to things that can do. It but you kind of have to live with the two or you kill everything and. Replant those are the two options for for the home guard garden end of the. Market the other weed that's in there is is a sedge or kai linga type, weed and those are the ones that have the little it's like almost like a little ball on the end of a stalk with three leaves coming out right underneath. It that that is a sedge or, kilinga and those you can also. Control. Those they are easier to deal, with but you got to you gotta jump on, them and you gotta get busy to get that. Done. NOW i, UH i was just talking about a product called sedge, hammer you, know for the nuts edge with the previous. Collar sedge hammer will suppress ki, linga but it won't outright kill. It you have. To you have to hit it a bunch of. Times but there is a product called image for nut. Sedge there's more than one thing called. Image. Image you want the one that says image for. Nutsedge even though this is a nuts edge and it will kill kylinga, species follow the label, carefully but it's only going to kill that one type of grassy looking stice actually not a. Grasp it looks like. Graft, okay should SHOULD i dish that?
Speaker 3: Up SHOULD i pull up all those?
Speaker 20: Weeds?
Speaker 1: Well you, can but it comes from seed and you're probably not going to get it. All as far as the, nut the bermuda, grass that's the one that kind of gives it the bluish look as you look across your lawn right in your. PHOTO. U SO i think there the decision is between hiring somebody to come in or biting the bullet and just killing. Everything making sure you get all the. Bermuda dad's gonna take two or three weeks of watching and spraying and then Put New Saint augustine in if you want Pure Saint. Augustine i've run out of time, Here, Debbie i'm gonna have to, Run but good luck with. That don't forget gardening With skip dot. Com all, right, folks will be right. Back, hey you're listening to garden, line not, music but we do some music here on the Garden. Line good to have you with, Us glad to have you with. Us have you been doing Channed gardens down In Richmond rosenberg? Lately if, NOT i got a great idea for what you could do this. Afternoon head down there and check it. Out And Chanted gardens is a. Wonderland it's a destination people come from a long way away because it is really. Cool there's all kinds of stuff going. On what do you, need you? KNOW i, mean do you Need do you need bling like things to put out in the yard and, landscape bling things to hang on the? Walls do you need beautiful? Pottery they got all. That do you need plants to attract butterflies or feed the butterfly? Larvae do you, here you? Go here you. Go do you want some gorgeous plants for shady areas that brighten the, shade that bring color into the. Shade they've got. That do you want unusual? PLANTS i, say unusual things that not everybody, has like the desert rose at Any, uh they've got things like that as. WELL i like their selection Of. Salvius it's just. Outstanding but when you go To Enchanted gardens In, richmond by the, way they're and off of three point fifty NINE fm three fifty nine on The katie Full shure side Of, richmond when you go, there you're gonna find everything you. Want especially there while you're. There if you go, out especially, today go check out the hanging baskets and the container. Plants they are. Outstanding maria does a great job in creating these beautiful multi plant hanging baskets and. Containers they always they always have a good selection of that kind of, thing and they can guide you to and let's say you want to make one. Yourself you like that and you, say, HEY i want to do something like. That they can put the plants in your, hands show you the pots you need to, contain the soil mix you need for, it and you can create your, own whether it's succulents or whether it's beautiful tropical. Plants enchanted gardensrechimond dot. Com that's the. Website go, There Enchanted Gardens richmond dot. Com see What i'm talking. About by the, way they're open today from ten to Four monday Through saturday eight to. Five let's they've shortened those hours a little bit for summer and to check. That sometimes our garden centers will shorten up a little, bit BUT i do know, this they'll be out there today and it would be a good time to go. Visit let's head out now to the. Phones we're going to go To houston and talk To. Dudley, Now Hello, Dudley good morning.
Speaker 5: Morning we've got some water oak. Trees one that was planted about ninety days. Ago it's canes and Diam it's about thirty foot. Tall it's been in the ground about ninety. Days we've got some long what they call long horned beetles on the. Tree how do you kill those?
Speaker 1: BEETLES i would get a product containing By fenthren and spray the. Trunk it'll stick around for a while and if they go crawling across it and, stuff you've got that product on. There you probably need to do that about once a month for. Now generally we don't spray for long horned. Beetles you got a young tree and you're obviously concerned about, it we could do that. Now anything that's already laid an egg and the larvae has chewed into the, tree that exterior spray is not going to kill. It and you're kind of out of luck on trying to kill. Those but the sprays of something containing by friend there and it's fairly, persistent and you get it on the. Bark make sure cover all the bark all, areas so anywhere beetle crawls or on that, surface it'll get to.
Speaker 5: Them and what is it? Called, Now i'm going to a right down.
Speaker 1: What, Okay i'm Gonna i'm gonna spell it out by Fen thren B I F E N t H R I n by Fen. Thren that's an ingredient good and it comes it comes in many many. Brands you, know YOU i don't know what part Of houston you're. In but you Got Ace hardware stores all over the place that are gonna that are going to carry products that contained by fen. Thrin just go To Ace Hardware texas dot com and find your. Local very.
Speaker 5: GOOD i appreciate. It thank, You.
Speaker 1: Thank, you, sir appreciate to. Call good luck with. That are you kidding? Me is this hour? OVER i demand to. Recount there's no, way there's no way this hour is. Over for crying out. Loud all, right, Well i'm gonna go refail My i'll be. Back we got another hour Garden. Line don't go. Away you'd like to give us a call right. Now we just cleared out the phone lines seven one three two one two k t R h seven one three two one two k t R. H give us a. Call, hey let me live. You let me leave you with a nice thought for the. Day it's a. QUOTE i love gardening quotes listens By Barbara. Kingsolver whatever lofty things you might accomplish, today you will do them only because you first ate something that grew out of the. Dirt, hey welcome. Back it's glad to have you with us on Garden line. Today thank you for listening. In we're gonna have some fun if you'd like to give me a call some point in this in the. Morning we got about an hour left seven one three two one two k t R. H we're gonna go. Out we got some folks out there on the phones right, now so we're gonna head straight out to the phone's first thing and go To craig In. Beaumont Hello, Craig welcome to garden. Line oh, good more to skip. Moarning hey got a.
Speaker 21: Question i've got a plumb, clock uh a tree THAT i planted about three months ago and to my, surprise it produced six, plums but it since has recently started just leave is shriveling?
Speaker 3: Up AND i know we've been getting a lot of.
Speaker 12: RAIN i don't know.
Speaker 1: If that's the, calls but just a little. Concerned maybe WHAT i might, Do, uh give me a little more information on the shriveling.
Speaker 12: Up what are you, saying, uh just just to leave themselves or are OR i, MEAN i don't, KNOW i better say than shriveling? Up they're just are they are they?
Speaker 1: Welting are they getting? Yes are they getting? Dry or? Okay? No so kind of a, Okay, uh that's a plumbing problem and so water is having a problem somewhere between the end of the tip of the root and getting to that. Leaf that could mean a root. Rot it could mean soggy wet water that is like a clay, soil a poor. Drainage roots can't get. Oxygen that causes. Problems it could be a root. Rot it could be a borer or a canker that's affecting the stem of the plant somewhere along the. Way SO i would look for, HOLES i would look for. SAWDUST i would look for, sap gummy sap coming out of the plumb cut somewhere on the. Branches those are indications of the sap is an indication of a, Canker and any of those things will cause the wilting because it just shuts down the water supply to that. Leaf so it's gonna be something along those. Lines are you noticing it pretty evenly around the tree or is it just one branch? Primarily, no it's the whole. Tree the whole tree not. Good, WELL i don't know the. SETTING i don't know you're, oil you, know if it's a low lying area or well drained or. Whatever BUT i would dig down about six. Clay, okay that could be part of. It how long has that tree been in the ground three, Months, okay so it still has a very confined root. System dig down around the root system with a trowel about six inches deep and feel the. Soil and if it is very, wet, sticky that's probably the. Problem as far as what to do about. It at this, point you could try taking a spading fork and going straight in there and wiggling a little bit to get some, oxygen some air down into the root. System don't spade the soil, up but just push it, down pull back on the, fork rock it back and, forth and then pull it straight back. Up and. SEE i think that's probably too, little too, late but it's worth a. Try it's one thing that might be in your. Power and then a longer term you may need to be looking at how to use subsurface drain that, area get some water away from. It and the most drastic of measures would be when we get into the wintertime Like, JANUARY, uh to dig the thing, up redo a bed in a nice raised bed of well drained soil mix and then reset it immediately while that tree is. Dormant. Uh and and so if we can keep it alive till then that would be what to. Do you can't do that, now but it's gonna be one of those. THINGS i think if you get looking, close you may see some gummy sap around the base or on the main branches and things that could be a. Canker, okay, okay all, right thank you my. Friend sorry sorry to hear, that but good luck on getting behind that for. Sure i'm gonna go now to the woodlands and we're gonna talk To. Ian. Hello, Ian welcome to Garden. Line good, Morning.
Speaker 2: JIP i appreciate you taking my. Call i'm calling about break. Myrtle it's about two and a half three foot in, diameter so it's a very old crape, myrtle and this year the leaves did not come.
Speaker 3: Out i'm not gonna say.
Speaker 2: Totally there are some leaves on the crape, myrtle but mostly it kind of looks like a lot of the limbs are. Dead i've pulled on them that they don't break. Like they're dry and, brittle but there's very few leaves on. It i've also.
Speaker 3: Noticed some mushrooms growing at the base of the.
Speaker 2: Trunk i've knocked them, Off i've read up AND i, Said i've seen something where it says that could be root.
Speaker 3: Rock But i'm trying to figure about WHAT i can bring it, back HOW i can bring it.
Speaker 1: Back all, right, good let's, uh let's let's talk about. This how long has it been in the ground more than a?
Speaker 3: Year, oh, yes, Sir.
Speaker 2: I've been at this house for about fourteen, years and It's i've always had. It and like, say it's a very large crape, Myrtle so it's been in the ground for.
Speaker 1: A long, time and it's always looked good up until just. Recently, yes, sir is that?
Speaker 3: Correct, okay it's had, flowers, so, yes, sir it's looked.
Speaker 1: Fine, okay, hmmm well it could be a real right the mushrooms they, were are you sure they were attached to the wood of the trunk or the top of the roots coming up right out of the trunk or could they just have been in the soil around next to the. Tree i'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure they were actually attached to the trunk of the tree at the very.
Speaker 3: Base all?
Speaker 1: Right what color were? They and about how big was the diameter of the mushroom.
Speaker 3: Caps they were kind.
Speaker 2: Of a reddish color and they were probably about maybe two and a half three inches tall and maybe same same diameter two and a half three.
Speaker 1: Inches, okay would you say maybe a honey it's SOMETHING i, Noticed, Okay but would you say maybe a honey? Color would that be the kind of red or something redd or light?
Speaker 3: Red?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 15: So?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well i'm just trying to kind of weed through a lot of possibilities here on. This so if you're seeing dead, limbs they're probably dead limbs at this. Point they should have leafed out or for whatever, reason they. Didn't if something's wrong in the, roots such as a root. Rot there's one possibility called armillaria root rot also called oak root, rot that creates clusters of little mushrooms the size you, described but they're more kind of of a reddish honey. COLOR i don't, think hearing you describe, it that's what it. Is but if it's, that it's going to kill the tree and there's no fixing. It it's just. Done, now let's just say they're not associated necessarily with the. Tree they just happen to be right there at the, base working on some decomposing organic matter or. WHATNOT i think cutting the crape myrtle back all the dead limbs back is an. Option uh do you have some limbs that are fully healthy and some of the trunks that are fully dead or or what's the what is?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: LIKE i don't see a lot of limbs with flat with leaves on.
Speaker 3: Them there's it's kind of through the tree. Itself, okay land it Would it kind of caught me is that there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Them and just to kind of add, THERE i do have a couple of pine trees kind of probably stealing some of the. Light but they've been there for years as, Well so just got to give you.
Speaker 1: That, Okay, well uh here here's the. Thing if it if it is one of the bad things doing, it that tree is are gone or, anyway so it's not going to come. Back Uh so if it were, MINE i think WHAT i would do is cut it back to near the ground and you should get a lot of base sprouting and select one under two or three or whatever you want trunks that comes out of that base sprout to rebuild a good healthy. Tree, now if the root system is, dying you're not going to get good re, sprouting and that's just a sign that it's just. Declining cutting it back is not going to kill. It the lack of any good root system and health is they mean that it's already. Dying but a bunch of dead. Limbs you can't live with. That and it sounds like most of the top looks pretty. Bad SO i, would if it were, mine give it one last shot by cutting it back to near the ground and hopefully getting some healthy news shoots that come out that we can rebuild a tree out. Of if, not then then pull it and go go back in with another one at some, point all, right, sir.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, sir thank you for the, information.
Speaker 1: You, bet thank you for the. Call we're going to have to go to a break, Here adeline And. Clearlake you'll be our first stop when we come back The loco back guard. Line. Folks good to have you with. Us, hey if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two KT r eight seven one three two and two k T R. H we are now going to go out to Clear lake and visit With. Adeline, Hello, Adeline welcome to.
Speaker 22: Garden, hello young, MAN i have a. QUESTION i have fallen for a younger. Man he is in his. SEVENTIES i am ninety. Two years, old AND i would like to know what love FLOWER i could send him that would be nice for this time of.
Speaker 1: Year uh, huh, well good for. You that is a that is a nice thing to. Hear and do you know there are so many great. FLOWERS i like flowers that last a little, longer you, know and one of those and you have to go to the florists and ask him what it is you may not be familiar. With it's Called, Freezia's. Friezia's frizias last a pretty good, time freezers. Hunting and you get an arrangement of all these flowers and seems to me like one of the last ones to go was the freezias in. It and then, Roses roses are always a good. Flower rose red roses or the flower love and a. Guy, NOW i.
Speaker 22: Would that be appropriate to send you An oh, lord, No.
Speaker 1: I'm not An you're gonna have to Call you're gonna have to call Deer abbey or hints To hellowy's or something to get the Appropriate i'll say, this if you're ninety something years old and you're gonna send flowers to somebody's, havingy it's. Appropriate it's your, Business so do what you want to. DO i think by this stage in, life you should do what you want to.
Speaker 22: Do my friend, said the call you make, sure.
Speaker 1: Oh my, gosh oh my, gosh for crying out out and tell. Him, okay, okay we're gonna we're gonna steer this one a little different. Here but let me let me just say. This if your friend and you have been talking and he said to call, me you tell. HIM i said that it is customary for a man when he receives a flower for a woman to send a dozen of that same flower. Back that's for good. Line oh all, right, MONEY i like. That thank.
Speaker 22: You i'm planning on getting my group on. Baby thank you.
Speaker 1: A Hund we have got to cut that. Cliff i've gotta have. That that is a great. ONE i love callers On Garden. Line feel free to, call but. Listen i'm not. Okay let me just. Okay i'm just gotta keep. Moving sean In, hempstead welcome To Garden. LINE i don't know if you were, listening but try to top that if you. CAN i cannot talk. That, okay good, listen what's your question To.
Speaker 8: We just built the house and we just had our yards sought that last week With, bernita AND i wanted to know IF i needed to be doing anything else besides just.
Speaker 1: Water last WEEK i would, say you, know water and be every other day by this time this week On, bermuda just just don't let it get. Stressed it needs to get the roots in the, ground and sod comes with very little. Roots it's a thin layer of clay soil with very little roots in, it so we try to pamper it a little. Bit by the second, week, though you're backing off a little, bit and then certainly next week you are MORE i would wait a few more weeks before you start to fertilize. It, probably let's say four weeks after you you put the sod, down begin to fertilize it with one of the fertilizers you hear me talking about all the time here on Guarden. LINE a good one right now would be the silver bag From, nitrofoss which is Super Turf nitrofos Super. Turf that, is it's got a gradual. Release so what it's gonna do is it's gonna give your fertile your long little bit of, fertilizer and then over, time over the next four. Months it's going to keep fertilizing it and keep it, growing but in a nice gradual. Way that grass are like, GRASS i, guess and you could say is like us in one, sense and that is we eat a little bit every. Day you don't eat your home months of food in one. Day and so it's good to put a fertilizer down that gradually releases. It and super turf the sober bag from night to. Foss so we'll do. That you're going to find it to all kinds of ace hardware. Stores you know that super turf is just widely available here in the greater your.
Speaker 10: Scenario, okay, well thank you.
Speaker 1: Sir all, right, now the most important thing on Beautiful bermuda grass lawn is regular. Mowing the shorter you cut, it the more often you have to cut it if you want it to look. Good if you let it get tall and cut it way, back it looks. Horrible so regular mowing at whatever your height is all, right, yall, yes thanks a, Lot all, right thank, you take, care bye. Bye all, right there you, Go Spring Creek Feed. CENTER i don't know if you live up in The Magnolia tomball, area but they are up there ON fm twenty, nine seventy eight northeast Of, tomball really close just minutes away From Graham parkway And highway to forty. Nine both they carry the full line of the. Fertilizers like you KNOW i mentioned. Nitroposts they carry The Nelson Turf star. Line they carry The microlife line as. Well if you need things to control, weeds either to prevent them or to kill existing. Weeds if you need things to deal with diseases and, pests there they got you covered. There you just walk in the. Store first of, all your draw's gonna drop because you look straight in front of you and he's just. Gorgeous all kinds of things for the home are. There off to the left is all your, feeds including high quality pet food. Lines you know they Carry, victor they Carre purina and. Others and then to the right that's the garden. Spot that's my happy. Area right over, there you're going to be greeted by friendly. Folks and by the, way if you are military or a senior, citizen they have discounts for you there At Spring Creek feed again on In magnolia ON fm twenty nine seventy Eight Spring Creek feed. Center can't miss, it big beautiful. Building you are listening to Garden. Line if you'd like to give me a phone call seven one three two one two k t R. H seven one three two one two k t R. H we'll be happy to visit with you about the kinds of gardening questions that you might. HAVE i have seemed to be receiving a lot of questions on turf turning yellow, lately and it's not just here on the, air but just in general and driving around. Town i'm seeing that When Saint augustine, grass especially as it's kind of the predominant turf we deal with, here when it starts to turn. Yellow there are a couple of things you might. Notice if you get up, close you may see a grass blade and the whole blade is just uniformly. Yellow that could be due to a chemical. Damage it could be due to some other types of causes that may just disease or whatever just causing that. Yellowing when you see streaks of green and yellow in the same and sometimes you have to pick the blade and kind of hold up to the sky and look at, it and you'll see those vertical. Streaks that's a lack of. Iron but the question is why is there a lack of. Iron maybe your soil doesn't have. Iron that's the least likely cause that your soil doesn't have. Iron maybe the iron is there but it's not. Available that's a very likely. Cause high pH and hygh phosphorus can cause iron to tie up and not be available to the. Plant so that is why we recommend. You you know you hear me talk about the three one two four one two ratio. Fertilizers that one in the middle that's. Phosphorus we don't need to add a whole lot of. That and if you over the, years as your pH goes, up as your phosphorus goes, up you create a problem by by that and that can cause a lack of iron in the. Plant when that, happens we have to use a keylated iron to fix. It and a keylated iron keylate comes from A latin word meaning. Claw so imagine there's an iron, Molecule, like make a fist with your left. Hand that's the iron. Molecule now take your right hand and grab your. Fist the keylate is the claw that right hand that's grabbed onto the iron and it protects it in the soil so the plant can get. It it lasts. Longer regular iron ties up like the iron you already. Have it'll green up for a, while but it didn't last. Long kilada iron is a better way to, go and your good garden centers and feed, stores places Like Southwest Fertilized race hardware, starts they're gonna have keylated iron that you can. Use. Now sometimes in the spring we get a little bit of a yellowing and early green. Up when it's cool and extra, wet we see a little bit of. That the final cause is one you don't want me to, say because it's it's the bad, one and that is take all root. Rot it kills. Iron the grass plant can only take up iron at the tips of its. Roots so when take all kills, roots we see the nutrient deficiency of iron deficiency because the grass is not able to take up the iron even that's there because of the loss of root system due to the. Disease go to my. Schedule Skip's Pest disease And Weed management schedule talks about take all on that, one and you can see what to. Do but there's a little quick kind of a summary of iron in the turf and what you might be looking. For time for me take a little break here in just a, bit BUT i did want to get that out to. You by the, way my, website gardening With skip dot Com gardening With skip Dot com is where you will find all of these. Things both of my schedules are. THERE i would recommend you prun them, out stick them in the, garage put them on the, refrigerator make a paper airplane with. It whatever you want to. Do just know that it'll be. Available you can carry it with you into the store when you're, Going, yeah there was something per take all and it's this thing right, here and you point at it and it says a, zoxystrobin and then the person in the store takes you over there and tells you what to use for. It the same is true for the other. Side the other side isn't just fertilizing, though it's a lawn care. Schedule so that side is what do you do to help the long grow fast and do. Well so it has a row Across january To december for synthetic, fertilizing a row across for organic, fertilizing a row for core, aerrating a row for proper mowing that's very, important a row for, watering and then all the products at the bottom that you're going to need to do. It and it's all there At gardening With skip dot, com along with some other very helpful publications like controlling woody weeds in the landscape like poison ivy and controlling nuts. Edge, hey welcome. Back that's all This Brad paisley And Taylor swift going on. TODAY i don't know good to hear. Though, hey we're going to go out spring now and what we were see if you get my collar back on, HERE i just lost. Somebody but if you would like to call in seven to one three two one two kt R h seven to one three two one two kt R. H Nitrophoss eagle is a fungicide that is a. Granule you put it down on the ground and you water it in and it is ingredients called. Michael it's one of the systemic fungicides that there, is and so it moves up into the grass plant and so when gray leaf, spot which we've been having quite a bit of this spring or, summer rather when it tries to attack the, disease is there protecting the grass plant against. Infection from the. Disease diseases are better prevented than. Cured that's the bottom line in general on. Diseases so getting ahead of it with that systemic into the grass helps fight that. Disease now it also works on not just gray leaf, spot but it works on it has some effect on take all root rot as well and other kinds of turf diseases that we deal. With so where are you going to find a product called tell me, again who is? Listening eagle eagle turf fungicide from Night? Fuss where are you going to find? It where Night fass is, sold which is all over the? Place Ace Hard Red Sinkle ranch has it On Mason, road And katie Aspos as up in The woodlands On kirkandall is going to carry nito frost. Products Enchanted forest ON fm twenty seven fifty nine down In. Richmond rosenberg carries nitrofost products as, well so it's easy to. Find just, remember with, diseases it's better to prevent them than to cure. Them so if you wait until a plant is all disease, ridden you, know even affective, products it's a little late to get much benefit from. Them all, Right, Now we're going to go back out to the phones and talk To bonnie And. Spring Hello, bonnie welcome to garden.
Speaker 7: Line Hi, SKIP i sent. Pictures i'm hoping you got. Them just now.
Speaker 1: Tell me what their pictures of my quaite.
Speaker 7: MYRTLE i was asking earlier today if they had white spot AND i sent.
Speaker 1: Pictures, oh, YES i remember the. Call, yeah that is not powdery, Mildew, bonnie there. Is there are some little tiny spots that are little specs, there probably some kind of a little fungus or bacterial spec but that's of no concern at. All the white material you see in it is almost it's like a, residue and a lot of times something like that is from irrigation. Water some of our irrigation water has calcium deposits or iron deposits or other things in. It in the case of these, though most of the leaves don't show, It SO i don't know why you're seeing it on some leaves but not. Others but if you look at the leaves that have, it if you were to imagine spraying something on the leaf and then with gravity it sort of rolls, downward that's kind of the pattern that it has on. There so it's something probably coming out of the irrigation, system but nothing to be concerned. About, okay, no no need to treat for. It your crepe myrtle looks, good overall. Beautiful you don't happen to know the name of that, variety do? You by any?
Speaker 7: Chance bashiam is WHEN i was, told Oh.
Speaker 1: Bashian, okay oh that's. RIGHT i remember now you had called earlier about. Baschium, yes but, no don't worry about. It and bashions just resistant, Anyway so we're good to. GO a trim trimmt like you wanted the. ONE i don't see the base of the tree in the, picture but it looks like it may have grass growing up close to. It if you can keep that grass, away. Great myrtles have thin, bark and the lawnmower and the weed eater nick the bark and then you start getting you, know wounding in the bark or other. Issues so give it a little bit of.
Speaker 7: Around should be, okay, okay oh, GOOD i appreciate.
Speaker 1: It, thanks you're in good shape, then all, right, yeah, yeah thank you for the.
Speaker 7: Call, okay bye.
Speaker 1: Bye alrighty, there uh let's, see we're gonna go to sugar land now and talk To. June Hello, June welcome to Garden.
Speaker 5: Line.
Speaker 9: HI i have a lot of weeds in my flower bed And i'm already using slage candles for the uh red grass that's taking hair, off BUT i can't get rid of the rest of the launchy, LEAVES i mean WEEDS i have in. THERE i went to In Santa. Park they told me to get weed beta. Ultra that didn't do. Anything it produced more weeds, almost AND i just don't know what BECAUSE i can't get rid of.
Speaker 1: Them. Yeah, well the weed beater alter didn't make them. WORSE i don't know why it didn't work on the broad leaf weeds it should. Have are your weeds mostly grassy or are they not? Grasses other kinds of?
Speaker 9: Weeds, no it's other kind of, Weeds, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay so weeds are either coming from seed or their perennial weeds that are coming up out of the ground from underground plant parts that when you chop them, off they just come back like you're nutsuch does. Right so the weeds that are from seeds are, good, thick multched. CONTINUALLY a weed seed has to have sunlight when it tries to, sprout and a good thing mulch prevents. That so that's the number one thing for weeds from. Seed, now if you've got weeds that are able to come back out of the ground and through them alt you know they're existing strong grass weed plants on the, right then to treat, Them, okay you're gonna need to treat them with some kind of a broad leaf herbicide to get rid of, those or hand dig them all. Out how big is this flower?
Speaker 15: Bid it's not that.
Speaker 9: Big but my landscape guy that's pulling my weeds is complaining about so many of, them AND i can't do it BECAUSE I i just. CAN'T i can't do it with my. Health but it's it's quite a, bit but not a huge.
Speaker 15: YORED i, mean you, KNOW i don't have.
Speaker 9: A lot of flower. Beds, OKAY i don't know what why they all of a sudden coming up this.
Speaker 1: Year, yeah let's real. Quick tell me what are the main good plants you're? Grown and in those flower beds the desirable.
Speaker 15: Come court high, biscuits rouse A sharon and casper and oh what was the other? ONE i can't think of.
Speaker 1: It, Okay so So i'm hearing a lot of. Shrub i'm hearing a lot of shrubs right, right, right, Okay so you can carefully spray and not get it on the. Shrubs just make sure the shrubs don't have sprouts at the bottom that the spray gets. On so a broad leaf post emergent weed killer with a spreader sticker to make it stick to the leaves of the. Weeds when you go to, yeah you're you're there In Sugarland Southwest fertilizers at the corner Of businet And. Runwick it's not too far away from, you and you go in. There i've got broad leaf weeds and a flower. BED i need a spreader sticker to go with, it and they'll put both of them in your. Hands and then when they're sprayed with, that it, well it will kill, him but it will also kill desirable broad leaf, plants so you cannot get it on the foliage of your good. Plants if you want to do a weed, wiper if you go to my website gardening with skip dot, com a weed wiper can be. Built bob's also At Southwest. Fertilizer he's also got the tool you make that with and that you apply the herbicide to the sponge and then you reach. Down you don't have to bend over there, there you, know just drop your arm by your side and it reaches all the way to the ground and you squeeze with the sponge on those weed leaves and it moves down in them and it kills, them and that avoids the. Spray that avoids the accidental. Damage but if you got a big bed full of tons of, weeds it takes a long time to do that that. Way BUT i think talk To bob about, it and he. Can he. Can he can show you what to what to, have and it's not hard to make if you've got a pint canning jar lid and a piece of kitchen sponge and on on my publication online it's even what size little, bolt just to buy a little bolt at a at a at a hardware store and use that to attach. It but, Anyway bob will show you all that when you go To southwest.
Speaker 9: Party, line garden line with.
Speaker 1: Skip My, no my my website is gardening With skip dot. Com with gardening With skip dot. Com, yeah gardening With skip dot. Com, Okay But bob probably has that thing printed out because he sells the tool for it so all. Right, hey thank You, june APPRECIATE i got a. Run good, luck good luck getting ahead of those you bet be right, back. Folks good to have you back with. Us thanks for listening to the Guarden line. Today, hey we got one little segment. Left we'll be off for a while. Now so if you'd like to if you got a question you'd like to, ask, well that'd be a good time to call. In seven one three two one two k T. R i probably got time for a couple more, calls so seven one three two one two KT. R you hear me give these adages all the, time like brown stuff before green stuff and. Whatnot, well it's because there's just some simple principles that help us have success with our. Plants and one principle that is important to remember is don't wait when you start to see a, problem find out what it, is and act. Soon and here here's. Why like a, disease you start to see a little bit of a leaf spot on a, disease, right, well you end up waiting and next thing you, know the whole plant's got the spots on it and most of your leaf area has been compromised or. Killed and, now, yeah you could spread a fung, aside but to protect what it's almost all gone. Right the same is true with insect. Feeding you, know a few caterpillars here are. There that's. Okay they're a little tiny things when they hatch. Out but they get big and they get, hungry and they molt and they get bigger and, fast and next thing you. Know you, know if you, wait let's say you have fall webworms in your pecan trees and you got little web nest up. There now's the time to get there and do something to stop. That if you're going to do something about. It but if you wait until the whole tree is full of webs and has no, leaves well there's no need to. SPRAY i, mean you're. Done and they often say that the best fertilizer is the footprints of the. Gardener what that means is when you're in your garden and you're checking things and taking care of things and, whatnot that results in a really nice garden of very happy. PLANTS i would also say that the best pest and disease control is the footprints of the. Gardener the sooners you get out, there the sooner you check. IT i was in my garden the other day looking at some, things AND i saw some aphids on a. Leaf, NOW i could go in with a squirt of insecticidal soap and just knock those out with something so. SAFE i take baths and soap, right they're very safe. PRODUCT i could knock it out real. Early IF i wait until the plant leaves are twisting up and there's a, sugary you do all over the, leaves and city mold is growing and. Whatnot that's a little late to do. Anything but you know WHAT i. NOTICED i noticed some beneficial. INSECTS a lady beat a. LARVA a lady beet mom had, said, oh there's layfid's that's baby. Food meafood. Too by the, way this is what she, Says and so she lays some eggs THERE a larva hatches. Out Now i'm not gonna spray, anything because even insecticidal soap will kill that lady beat.
Speaker 10: Larva that's.
Speaker 1: There but how DID i know? THAT i knew it by getting out in the garden and checking. Periodically you, know don't check it every. Month get out as often as you. Can plus it's fun go out early in the morning when it's. Cool it's fun being out in the. Garden but the sooner you catch a, problem the better off it. Is it's that is a life, principle isn't, It whether it's, gardening or relationships or paying the bills or. Whatever doing things on time saves you a lot of. Pain dealing with things early on helps a. Lot so there you. Go that was. Readvice but for, gardening act, soon don't, wait and your options are and also from a pest control, standpoint the, safest most organic. Options you have full range of those early in a problem. Process as things get, older not so. Much for, EXAMPLE bt kills. Caterpillars we know that works, Well but when a caterpillar is older and it's slowed, down it's, eating and it's getting ready to turn in a moth that will lay a lot more caterpillar, eggs, well then you're not going to get control WITH. Bt the younger the caterpillar, is the more voraciously feeding young, CATERPILLARS bt wipes them. Out as they get, older it's not as. Good another case in point of the sooner you do, things the more safe natural options you, have and the more effective it'll. Be all, RIGHT i feel like i'm fussing at you. THERE i don't mean it that, way but it is an important thing to. Know maria In. Cyprus you're our next collar on guarden. Line how can we help the?
Speaker 6: Day, hey good.
Speaker 23: MORNING i have got quite a few morning, glories AND i Went day's hardware AND i did get a fertilizer specific to flowering vines and it didn't. Work so what CAN i do to get my morning glories to?
Speaker 1: Bloom, Well morning, Glories keeping the foliage healthy is the most important. Thing they get spider. Mites and you look at a green leaf that starts to look speckly whitish tan. Color that's spider. Mites and so the more of the leaf they take, out the less carbohydrates to make blooms there will. Be so that's a prime thing on morning. Glories good sunlight to shine on the. Leaves go, Ahead, Yeah i'm.
Speaker 23: Sorry the leaves are. Healthy it has east south exposure.
Speaker 10: Sun they get pretty good.
Speaker 1: Sun have you grown them there? Before?
Speaker 5: NO i.
Speaker 6: Haven't.
Speaker 23: THERE i have a cedar fence and behind.
Speaker 9: It go.
Speaker 1: Ahead, uh, well but the plants look healthy to you when you look at, Them yes they.
Speaker 23: Do, OKAY i would give Them, okay maybe that's.
Speaker 1: Right i'll let. THEM i think you're GONNA i think you're gonna see. Results a good healthy plant getting decent amount of sun which it sounds like yours, are it should start to flower pretty. Soon so, uh just to give them a little more. Time and, uh you have to know which variety you planted OR i know that's a long shot.
Speaker 23: Question, no BECAUSE i had SEVERAL i just grabbed and you. ANYTHING i could find so different varieties out. There but it's like a ten fifteen feet long, area AND i threw fish in line up into the tree behind my, fence and so they're they're growing very happily up the. Tree BUT i just wanted to see something that's.
Speaker 1: Interesting, yeah WELL i think you'll GET i think you'll get some. Blooms if they're getting, sunlight and if the plants look, healthy they should. Bloom they should start. Blooming don't over don't give them a bunch of nitrogen fertilizer that moves the needle in the wrong way on getting morning glories to. Bloom so just a little, bit but not too. Much that's another thing that can cause vine growth at the expense of bloom. Production so hopefully they'll turn around, awesome make you happy like you were when you bought. Them, yeah thank.
Speaker 23: YOU i listened to you all the, time and FINALLY i needed some help with.
Speaker 3: This so you have a great.
Speaker 10: Day thank.
Speaker 1: You all, Right, maria you have a wonderful. Week take care there you. Go all. RIGHT i think we're going to call that the last call of the. Day it's about time for music to start. Playing you've been listening To. GUARDENLINE i am your host skip. Director we're here every week from six am to ten am On saturday And. Sunday if you missed, anything or IF i said the name of some, product it's, like what was that that he? SAID i couldn't write that. Down go TO ktrh dot, com find a Garden line page and listen to pass. Shows you can skim through the show and find WHAT i. Said you can also do that on The iHeartMedia. App maybe you're not near a radio or a, computer you got your phone with, you you're off. Somewhere download That iHeartMedia app and you can pick up a Garden line show anytime you want by listening to pass shows or listening to the show live on Garden. Line one more reminder my, WEBSITE i keep mentioning, it AND i keep running into people that have ever been. There so here we go. Again gardening with skip dot. Com go on, there learn about some. Things that's WHERE i post. Up that's where the information on current issues is always going to be