Speaker 1: All right, it's the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. You know, we're the home of Dallas Mavericks basketball. The game with the Hornets will be on our airwaves tonight. You can hear pregame starting at seven and then the tips at seven thirty. And we got Mavericks tickets to give away. It is the Detroit Pistons game. Man, the Pistons are good and they will be in town March twenty first, and that's a Friday night.
Speaker 2: We got tickets to give away to it.
Speaker 1: So the first person using the iHeart app, there's a talkback feature on it. That iHeart app allows you to stream content and play podcast, listen to us, all that stuff, and we like to use that to give away stuff and reward people that listen to the show. So the first person that uses the talkback feature leaves their name, their phone number, and their email address and the answer to the question. We talked about it the first segment, what was the reason that someone left a bad Airbnb review on my cabin up in Oklahoma and broken Bow?
Speaker 2: We told you why.
Speaker 1: If you're listening, you know, first person that leaves that talkback message BAM, you are going to get those tickets.
Speaker 2: Good luck everybody.
Speaker 1: We got sports coming up in thirty minutes, the Today Game, which is never podcasted, you have to listen live.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: Juicyos hot gods.
Speaker 4: Come stay on top in the woot shovel, all right.
Speaker 3: Actor Gene Hackman, ninety five years old, was found dead in his New Mexico home with his wife, Betsy Arakawa. She is in her sixties. She was a pianist. Apparently, Jeane was found in something called a mudroom. This is in Santa Fe.
Speaker 2: Now, a mudroom. I didn't fully know what that was.
Speaker 4: We used to have a mudroom. My mom always had names for rooms and pieces of furniture and like whatever. It's like, I think it means like for us, our mudroom was in between like the garage and the rest of the house.
Speaker 2: He has to take your shoes off. Yeah, we have a mudroom.
Speaker 1: It's basically it's like you'd like been described the Usually there's it's basically a transitionary where you hang coats and you put.
Speaker 2: Your dirty shoes A good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Usually they'll come off like a garage into a laundry room or something and most of.
Speaker 4: The time, it's for areas where there's a tremendous build up of mud.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, man, the Gene Hackman death might be the best thing that's happened to mudroom sales in years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to skyrocket. Betsy Arakawa his wife.
Speaker 4: Why are you saying it like that?
Speaker 3: Huh Betsy Aha? She was found dead on the floor of a bathroom.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: A dead German shepherd was found between ten and fifteen feet away from her in the closet of the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Christina had no reaction to Betsy our Okawa being found dead, but the German shepherd elicited a reaction.
Speaker 5: Look, it's just like movies when people die. I'm like, okay, man, that kind of sucks, But when it does, no, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I've mentioned this before. It was the made for TV movie about the Hindenburg. It was probably a seventh grader and at the end of the movie they showed the faces of.
Speaker 2: Everyone that died.
Speaker 1: I'm just sitting there watching it, and then they showed the dog that died on the Hindenburg and.
Speaker 2: I just lost It.
Speaker 4: Is because we think that humans probably have done something bad at some point, so it doesn't bother us as much. But the dogs are always hundred percent innocent. I think that probably has something to do. Yeah, is that why you didn't have any sympathy for any of the other deaths.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's very sad, but yes, all dogs do is love you. That's all they do.
Speaker 3: You think about I'll say not true to the stray dog that ran up to me yesterday when I went on a walk.
Speaker 4: He was also attacked by a dog. Christina, what do you have to say to defend that dog? That dog attack Kevin Turnerman shepherd too.
Speaker 5: He might have smelt something on you or something.
Speaker 4: Did you have a did you have a bunch of ham in your pocket?
Speaker 3: I think I was hearing some mutton. The thing two years of dogs. You never go, oh, who's a bad boy.
Speaker 2: They're a good boy, assume.
Speaker 5: But the owners could ruin the dog. And that's why people are horrible.
Speaker 2: So this is how we're gonna remember Gene hack Jan's in.
Speaker 3: The mudroom dead, Betsy's in the bathroom dead, German shepherd ten feet away in the closet of the bathroom dead.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: All right then, and then it gets reported by the way that no foul play suspected. So what happened was a maintenance worker was scheduled to come to the house yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 2: He walked in, I guess the mudroom.
Speaker 3: First sees Jane goes in and he calls authority, So that's that's who's found them. The Then then later in the day, so it's reported early this morning, no foul play suspected, and then by about noon I saw, well, suspicious play suspenion.
Speaker 2: This is they're ruling.
Speaker 3: Suspicious and they're launching an investigation. They did find an open prescription bottle and scattered pills near the body of Betsy on the counter in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: But scattered pills?
Speaker 3: Was that two pills? Is that nine pills? Is it fifteen? You know, it doesn't really say. The fire department did not find signs of a carbon monoxide leak, and there were no obvious signs of a gas leak in the home.
Speaker 2: I have a prediction, shoot shoot score.
Speaker 1: Gene Hackman, who is ninety four five ninety five passed away in the mudroom from being ninety five. Betsy saw this and was so distraught she couldn't move, She couldn't live without Gene Hackman. She went to the bathroom and took her pills to ode and hit the ground, and then the dog ate some of the remaining pills, and so Betsy and the dog died of proscription pilled death.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's two other dogs that did not eat any of the pills.
Speaker 1: They were smart enough, not because they were like, oh, that dog over there didn't the pills didn't work out.
Speaker 2: We should go in here and hump something.
Speaker 3: I imagine they weren't living in a small adobe either, because they did say two other dogs found on the property.
Speaker 2: No, I go, okay, you know they were writing a tractor. Okay, I do worry about that.
Speaker 4: Anytime I drop anything on the ground, I assume my dogs are gonna eat it. So if she dropped pills on the ground.
Speaker 1: There's like, I can't remember what it is now. We had to do it with Rocksy or Luca not too long ago. So one time your dog, yeah, Lucas, my dog Luca ate a bunch of asprin or something.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what it was, and we're.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, G did it. No, we had to take her to the vet and they do this thing and it costs fourigner bucks or whatever. It's way too expensive. Then she did it again, like two weeks ago. She was eating this like bone thing you know that you're supposed to chew up and it's good for your teeth. And she was panning really hard, and I was like, that thing's lodged insiderr yeah, And so I was like, I don't want to go to the vet for you know whatever.
Speaker 2: It was late at night. I want to go to the vet and pay him the money.
Speaker 1: So we gave her some little oxide something or other to make her throw up, and she threw up this thing that had been lodged inside her.
Speaker 2: What was it? It was that bone.
Speaker 1: The bone got stuck in her in her passageway, and that thing made her throw up and it cost us nothing. So yeah, if you can, if you that's a dog trick. If your dog, if you think your dog took a bunch of asprin or ate a bunch of chocolate, just give them the stuff and they'll throw up and you'll be good to go.
Speaker 3: So I have a few more details, but I would first I do like detective waves.
Speaker 2: Premise here, thank you, hypothesis both.
Speaker 3: In fact, I would like to award him a fake mustache in a magnifying glass.
Speaker 2: Temporarily.
Speaker 4: You know, you'll take it back if he's wrong.
Speaker 3: If he's wrong, you'll be removed. But for now, enjoy it. Use him on the broadcast tonight. Why would you want to give me a badge a new watch hat?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So once the Sheriff's got there, they found Betsy. Betsy lying on her side on the bathroom floor with a space heater near her head, which might go to your theory. Maybe she was trying to keep her head warm while she was dying out.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make sense. The deputy, give me a coffee.
Speaker 3: The deputy did say that he suspected that the heater could have fallen with her, like she could have fell, which the pills fall hurt her body, showed signs of decomposition.
Speaker 4: Oh already could have in there for okay, in there for a while.
Speaker 2: So in this case I'm changing my theory.
Speaker 1: Gene Hackman went in there and found Betsy had taken pills and the dog had taken pills, and he was rushing to go get help.
Speaker 2: And because he's ninety five, he died in the mudroom as he was running to get help. Are you changing it.
Speaker 3: If you're changing it, I'm gonna have to take away the fake mustache, the hack By that one.
Speaker 2: I just like the original.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stay with the detectives have a gut feeling they don't really know what happened, but they do.
Speaker 4: She she was so much younger, She had plenty of life to go, not a ton, but.
Speaker 2: She was nothing before she met Geene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was as she was about to have the whole Gene Hackman empire, older herself, apparently.
Speaker 5: Famous penist thought want to live without him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think also, uh, he lost a lot of money in real time sports action.
Speaker 4: I don't think he did.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's true and not a good thing to spread about him on this day. Yeah, she was a businesswoman, former pianist in decades long companion. Much more on her than that.
Speaker 4: It's a tragedy man, Yeah, incredibly said.
Speaker 2: That's a tough deal. No, it really is.
Speaker 1: You want someone that you've admired their work forever. You want them to die peacefully. You don't want them to have a death. And now there's a bunch of controversy and weird stuff going on around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although to.
Speaker 4: Live to be ninety five. Hell of a run. Oh yeah, made it, you know, and he aged really quickly, at least in my brain, because he just stopped making movies at some point like four. Okay, so he's quit making movies in two thousand and four, even though he was arguably one of the greatest actors of all time. He just stopped when he still had you know, I guess, so how old would he have been this seventy five seven? So she's aboubout at the retirement age unless he was going to run for president sixty so, but he still could have kept making movies. He was choosing not to be in movies, right, Yeah, I don't know, And.
Speaker 3: I it seemed like he was still around because he's on TV all the time because of all these movies are on.
Speaker 1: But the other thing, But the other thing about Gene Hackman is go watch Bonnie and Clyde in nineteen sixty seven. He looked to be about thirty years older than he was and then stayed that age forever.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, pictures showed up of him, I don't know, about six months ago, and I was like, damn, yeah, Like he suddenly looked like he had aged like forty years overnight.
Speaker 3: Honestly, him and Hoosiers compared to him and the Replacements, as the coach looks about the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, dude, look at him in the French Connection. It's like fifteen years. Hoosiers is fifteen years later, and he kind of looks the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Hoosiers in the Replacements are they kind of near each other.
Speaker 2: Hoosiers would have been eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Replacements was two thousand, Okay, I would have thought Hoosiers was in the seventies, so Hoosiers.
Speaker 2: Was late eighties.
Speaker 1: And the coming up later, we'll talk about the films of Barbara Hershey, who of course was in Hoosiers. Well, didn't really care for that asking, Oh not a huge fan? Interesting? Did you like her in Last Temptation of Christ?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Yep. All right, coming up next and around the sports, where are we gonna go kt media fight?
Speaker 3: Oh we've got a media fight. Oh we got some Cowboys news and more.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's coming up next.
Speaker 2: Yeah,