Speaker 1: On on Welcome to the CEO pre show for episode four sixty two.
Speaker 2: For sixty two or sixty two holy shit.
Speaker 1: We are brought to you by the wonderful Patreon supporters at patreon dot com slash CEO podcast whether they like it or not, and they should and they do. We've got a new one to thank today on the show proper.
Speaker 2: That's exciting.
Speaker 1: No spoilers, okay, yeah, okay, And I asked you to come up with a topic and the whole boy howdy, we have a little thing to discuss called the Secret Layer Marvel super Drop, good Lord. Yeah, this is our first look at the crossover mtgx Marvel.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? I believe is this the first I guess it's not the first one they've done, but this is the same second time they're going to do like a massive crossover like this Lord of the Rings and now they're going to do Marvel and I think is it later on next year they're gonna do Final Fantasy as well.
Speaker 1: Is that I'm not sure a Final Fantasy is going to be structured the same way as Marvel and Lord of the Rings or if it's going to be more like Assassin's Creed, Doctor Who or Assassin's Creed? Can we count Assassin's Creed like that? Because it got its own set. I guess they all got their own set, right, but not the full treatment in that it's booster boxes, command decks, secret layers. Like every single thing that could be a magic product is going to be a Marvel magic product, right, like Lord of the Rings was. There'll be a pre release and a command Fest and a launch party for it, all the stuff, right, commander Fest, Marvel, Commander Fest, Marvel. That does have a nice ring to it if you think that something is marvelous or it's a Marvel not like Capital M Marvel trademark.
Speaker 2: Yeah com Madifest TM, Marvel RTMT asterisks used with permission from Disney Corp.
Speaker 1: Or whatever the hell Give us more money, dot us money. Okay, So all of the stuff comes out like over the last couple of days at New York, New York Comic Con in New York, right, yeah, yeah, I know, a bunch of people saw a bunch of Twitter stuff on YCC. Yes, And I'm watching like the what Makes a Hero a little trailer that they did where it shows like Wolverine and then his card and Captain America then his card, and I'm narrating it for the boy as we go, because like he watches a lot of like the Magic releases and launch stuff with me. Sure, and Marvel get your Wolverine magic card, spend money, get the Arcane signet. Frickin' what is it? It's a Earth's Mightiest emblem. Spend two hundred of your excitement, Marvels, spend money. I was doing all that with it, right, and man, we were howling, and Rebecca was like, what the hell? What have I got myself? Why couldn't I have had a girl? Well then I say, joked on you girls play magic too.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, you would have done the same thing with the girl.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would have Yes, nerd nerds. And then and then the boys like yeah we're geeks. Yeah, as he's building Lego, Yeah, how do.
Speaker 2: You think that this is gonna be? Because Lord of the Rings was a lot and I know for you there's never enough. Oh no, there's never enough. So taking that into act, when Final Fantasy comes out, I'll probably be like, yeah, give me more. No, I probably won't be honestly, well, you know what, I probably won't be. I like like five, six and seven sort of eight, sort of four, and the rest of.
Speaker 1: Them are kind of isn't there like fifty eight of them? Yeah, and then seventeen remakes of each that's right? Yeah, okay, some kind of like it. But the point is which which one's producer Gary's favorite.
Speaker 2: He was speed running that ship too as I sat with him, and he was doing it one time. This is pretty good, yeah, to watch, So, but do you think this is gonna be like so much? Because this one I think is a Lord of the Rings wasn't a huge departure from Magic because it's correct, very very similar. Marvel comics is a huge departure from Magic. Do you think with so much saturation and so much Marvel and so much whatever, like, is it gonna be like I'll bet you we're gonna get these seque layers were gonna talk about a minute. We're gonna get Marvel main set. We're gonna get Spider Man Aftermath Boosters. We're gonna get X Men and Avengers and X Force and the Serpent Society. Fucking Commander Commander dex.
Speaker 1: Old, you think there's gonna be eight Commander Decks, I sure, hope not I think that there'll be five at least you think five. What if there's five and we freaking called it again? Yeah, dope, yeah, you know what. I I agree. It is a far departure very you know.
Speaker 2: What it's gonna be. I got it, I got it. There's gonna be six Commander decks. Six now six Commander decks, and in each deck is going to be part of a secret seventh deck. Like they're build of figures where you have to buy the whole wave of figures that come out in order to get the arms and the legs and the torso in the head. You want to get a Sentinel Action figure? Fuck you, you have to buy your every single recks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they have Commander Deck exclusives.
Speaker 2: Now, watsie, if you're listening, I want to cut of every deck you sell.
Speaker 1: If you know this is this is why they will never acknowledge or respond to card ideas. And if like, if you walk up to Gavin at a Command fest and say, hey, Gavin, I thought of this card, it's like this two drop Man of Rock artifact that doesn't and he'll just walk away with his use runs. They can't listen. I can't listen because then that person, if you design that same card, wants money. But here's the idea is, however, many Commander decks are five, six, fifteen.
Speaker 2: Only.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Commander Deck exclusive cards only found in the Commander decks. Yea, not even in collector packs. They gotta be in the fifty dollars Commander decks. Oh yeah, and you buy every single one and you take out those Commander Deck exclusives. Let's say they put them in widescreen art in the Commander Deck, so you know which cards they are, like right at a glance. You take those out of each deck and add you know, your fifteen basic lands or whatever they need, and then you have another deck. And the only way to get those is by buying the pre cons. Oh but then my pre cons don't have all the cards in them. Buy them again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because this is exciting, damn it. No, and all of those cards that you bought, they'll all go together to make a giant panoramic comic.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and oh and the borders are actually the little white boxes and stuff. And man, I really hope and here's when we get into into the secret layer of them and stuff. I hope that they lean into comic book more than they do into MCU cinematic universe, right, yes, And I think based on and just knowing how Lord of the Rings worked with the licensing and what they actually could print cards of, most likely they're not going to be leaning into the Marvel Cinematic Universe because that is a whole nother animal ballgame licensing.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna see Robert Downey Junior on a magic.
Speaker 1: Card, correct, just like you didn't see Elijah Wood on a Frodo magic card, right though I did see lots of Elijah Elijah Woods signed magic cards.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool, I guess.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's fine. Would you get Robert Downey Junior to sign your Iron Man or your Doctor Doom?
Speaker 2: Can't afford it?
Speaker 1: Yes, can't afford it? Yes, so neither. Okay, I think I'm not that excited. I think we are gonna see comic book style showcase arts more so than we when we did in Ikoria, because they'll actually have comic book frames.
Speaker 2: I'd like, you know what I mean, I'd like to see the old what did they call that? Where like it was? If you look really close to the comic book pages, it's just the little dots a more pattern. I think that would be a cool style, very collectible magic card. Or if they made the characters look like the old Remember the nineties they had the Marvel cards you could collect. Yeah, if they looked like those that.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Give me Marvel trading cards, Give me the old like nineteen sixties more print style comic books that were only in like they had seven colors in the whole spread.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, And give me like the pop up boxes with the speech bubbles. Give me the different kinds or shapes of speech bubbles for the different kinds of characters or speech right, like when a radio or a TV is talking, you get the jaggedy lightning looking one. Right.
Speaker 2: And then we want to move immediately on from this into something else, because I'm gonna be so sick of this crap by the.
Speaker 1: Time that it's done. Now I'm looking at the secret Layer. Okay, so there's a secret layer X Marvel's Black Panther that's going to be a mouthful every time that we have to say it. Secret Layer X Marvels Captain America, Secretly X Marvel's Iron Man, Storm, SCLEARX, Marvel's Storm, and Wolverine. Is that all that's all?
Speaker 2: That's all of them was biled so far.
Speaker 1: And when we look at the styles of those cards, they look high fantasy, they look like magic cards. I'll bee it a little bit sci fi, like Doctor Who Did or like my mom Frick, Iron Man Sis, Assassin's Creed. I think really, looking back over the last year and a half, let's say, all of the sci fi kind of sub properties we got, like Doctor Who not as big as Marvel, Assassin's Creed not as big as Marvel, really were a warm up for this set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the people to sensitize to it. That's where they put Ghostbuster packs and cheerleaders and shit into Dusk Morn, Yes, so that we can.
Speaker 1: Have I think that there was some I don't want to use the word grooming, but really, and let's love Lord of the Rings in there too, because it was a different ip and there was a full spread of it and it was well received. It was Magic's biggest set.
Speaker 2: Ever until Marvel comes out.
Speaker 1: And I think that on the back of Lord of the Rings being so successful and all of the sci fi grooming us fantasy nerds have had. This stands the chance of being Magic's next biggest product.
Speaker 2: Ever, how do you enter into the booster pack game? Here is how okay, here's how you do it. In the comments down below, you have to tell us which Marvel Comics character you think you are going to play the most games against when this comes out.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't need to be one of the ones that's been previewed in a secret layer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but because people are just gonna dress up, like because everybody, every comic weave has their own comic book cosplay or magic card cosplay. How many people are gonna sit down across from you dressed as motherfucking Wolverine and you're gonna play magic with them? Right? How many Storms? How many Dazzlers? How many professor Xes, how many Mister Sinisters? How many apocalypses?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: How many mojos? I played it against a lot of mojos in my day.
Speaker 1: How many Gary knows you look? How many hairy beasts?
Speaker 2: How many of the blobs like the Blob and the beast.
Speaker 1: But he's not blue this beast cosplay? No, No, absolutely not, but it's.
Speaker 2: But that was really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it?
Speaker 2: So deal with it are the card selection I think are actually really good for the most part. I think that there we got reprints of everything gets text proof and indestructible whatever that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got okay, let's let's look at some of the reprints. We've got arcane signet with Why. Yeah, there's a fly in here. It's fricking November almost. We got live ourcane segment. If you spend all of the money, if you're very excited.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you are the most excited, you will receive an arcanes.
Speaker 1: If you're excited enough to excite all of these, you get an arcane signet. I should just paint one to match and you can excite me.
Speaker 2: Every Thursday on our Facebook page.
Speaker 1: We get a secure the waste instant speed token maker. We get a Primal Vigor. That card was getting expensive.
Speaker 2: That's shitty. Doubling season, yes, but.
Speaker 1: Very much less reprinted than Doubling Season, so still commanded like some kind of price tag, right, not as good.
Speaker 2: It should just be doubling season.
Speaker 1: You think, yes, okay, but it's Beasts.
Speaker 2: No, what is it? Best?
Speaker 1: Basts?
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I've never seen black panther. I've never read Black Panthers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not basts blessing Primal Vigor. That seems more what Kanda jungly to me. I don't know. Okay, then we got heroic intervention Carns Bastion. That's the proliferate land and both Black Panther and Primal Vigor care about plus one counters, so this one makes sense, right, Sure, and we get another heroic intervention.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's always good. Yep.
Speaker 1: Cigardas aid always an expensive card because it it tutors. Right. No, No, you can free equip and you can instant speed.
Speaker 2: Cast, yes, instacst auras and equipments and then free equip them for free. There's a flawless maneuver reprinting here, also a good, good, good reprint A couple of bucks in the trenches. That's a piece of shit that nobody plays. And then there's a sort of war and piece reprinted, a shield of war and piece.
Speaker 1: So like, just wait a second, there's a fair bit of ironic humor in this in that it's a frickin' shield but it's a sword.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, Okay, it's the truth. We all get it. It's probably one of the least desirable swords. But it's not terrible, so cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's Is it because his shield is red and white?
Speaker 2: It's because he's a soldier that was in war and peace for peace? Okay, okay, it's it's thematically makes sense. If it was the Shield of Feast and Famine, this would be a red skull secret layer.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay. Then we get to iron Man and we've got a Galvanic Blast.
Speaker 2: It's common.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a card that gets played like in modern or something, though, doesn't it? Yeah, like as a sideboard card. Yeah, I know Commander's Plate. That card was expensive. It is its first reprint, I think since Frickin' Commander Legends right in twenty twenty. I think you're right, Dak Carter's thirty or forty bucks.
Speaker 2: It did command some dollars, for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't think it deserves plated some dollars. Yeah, and let's put it in an alter exclusive and expensive secret layer to really drive that price down and then ban it because it's too expensive and new players can't afford it.
Speaker 2: Bear bear, Bear, bear bear bear. Okay, moving on, Inventor's Fare is whatever, Soalring goes in everyday. It's also in the Secret Lair.
Speaker 1: Inventor's fare was expensive too.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, Storm, I actually like Storm Team are my favorite colors. We're not going to get into the actual legends. We'll maybe save that for another day. But we've got a lightning bolt.
Speaker 2: Sure, there does for you. It does have my favorite iteration of Storm on the lightning Bold, which is cool.
Speaker 1: All like make a punk Storm.
Speaker 2: I like punk rock Days of Future Past Storm I thought she looked really really cool.
Speaker 1: Jessica's will as Storm as Will and it's the same art. I was just gonna say, nearly the exact same.
Speaker 2: Arc, identical art, except it's Storm on it instead of Jessica. Yep.
Speaker 1: And then and then we got freaking ice Storm from Ice Age. Awesome story Target Land.
Speaker 2: That's stone Rain but green. They just finished talking with Oh, Commander players. They don't like going fast and all this acceleration, but they love land destruction. That's something we all ask for.
Speaker 1: Well, let's ban all the fast manna trigger warning and then have land destruction, and then all Commander games will last five hours. You want to show up to the LGS play one game? No, Oh, I thought that's what people wanted.
Speaker 2: I do want to show up play mana MorphOS though. That's a super good Commander card. That's a lie.
Speaker 1: That's a weird include there. But again, maybe maybe Modern or something plays that right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's in a Modern Storm now. Sure Wolverine has Berserker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that one. Right of passage.
Speaker 2: I totally forgot that card existed right off.
Speaker 1: Whenever a creature you controls delt damage, put a plus one counter on it.
Speaker 2: Totally forgot that card existed.
Speaker 1: That's probably fine.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's a pretty okay card. I assume. I don't know if it commands any value, but like it's a card that's neat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then we've got Rhythm of the Wild with Uncle Browando with no shirt on.
Speaker 2: Yep. That's a good one, yep.
Speaker 1: And then the Osolith. That's a good reprint.
Speaker 2: It's a solid reprint.
Speaker 1: Yep. I already have my My Lord of the Rings box top or oslith so I'm not gonna play this one. But we have an Osolith and you notice he's naked in there, but the reflection of the tube he's in is very strategically placed. Yes, that's not where I would have.
Speaker 2: Put it where? Would you have put it anywhere else?
Speaker 1: I think there needs to be more of that kind of stuff on magic cards. You remember we got a secret layer with guys little things, and then and then it needed to be like edited before it was a release.
Speaker 2: How is it they can edit the peener off of a card, but they can't edit spelling mistakes and different card types off of cards. Why did circular logic get printed as a sorcery and coma got printed like with straight up wrong rules text on it, But they could edit a little peener out of some art. Why is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even actually a peener. It was just like a little like a lump in the wrong place.
Speaker 1: Ya. That's how I feel about mine too.
Speaker 2: Because everybody's mind is in the gut or oh it's a penis. Never seen one of those before? Fuck, it's the Internet. Everybody knows what a penis looks like, oh very much.
Speaker 1: So that's like sixty percent of the internet.
Speaker 2: Man. One day, I'll tell you the story about the first time I ever saw vagina and I was very confused. Oh yeah, I was very young. It was It was a weird moment for me. It was a very strange.
Speaker 1: That's right up there with the time you crap somebody else's pants.
Speaker 2: I was it a dairy queen? Oh, this is not where I thought it was weird. It was a weird It wasn't on a like a physical, real life human. It was a picture. But I was like, what the fuck, I'll tell this story in detail?
Speaker 1: Somebody was it the dairy queen's No?
Speaker 2: Oh no, well, I mean maybe, I guess I I mean maybe well, and I don't really remember who the person was. I just remember seeing the vagina for the first time.
Speaker 1: I won What the what this got? Really like?
Speaker 2: I was. I was like tilting the picture to like try and like see you know.
Speaker 1: One of those hologram things that you twisted. Does it turn into something else?
Speaker 2: Like when you're playing when you're watching a movie, you're playing a video game and you're like craning your neck to try and see around the corner?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Or when you're watching Pink Floyd the Wall the movie and those two flowers start to fight, but really then they turn into Genitalia and they start hammering each other. Have you ever seen that one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a weird Movienge. That's a weird album. Nineteen seventy nine. It was a weird time.
Speaker 2: That was a strange time to be allowed.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're already a grown man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was already a man.
Speaker 1: I didn't see if we're trying to until I was already a man?
Speaker 2: Was that dairy queen?
Speaker 1: All right? Well?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Four sixty two?
Speaker 2: Remember which Marvel character are you going to physically play against the most down in the comments or bit hatrin.
Speaker 1: I got one more prediction, okay, Commander Decks, We're going to see more than normal. Okay. I really want that extra Spider Man thing, whatever they were talking about. I would very much like that to be across Spider Man, across the multiverse, right, because there's already like movie and precedence for that, right, the multiverse thing that was Spider Man's whole thing in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Spider Man right, No Way Home or yep, all the Way Home or the Hell.
Speaker 1: Twenty three and twenty four was really all about that. Let's get Spider Man in tark here, Let's get Spider Man and Kamagala. Let's get Spider Man in Frickin' Dominaria. Let's get Spider Man and all those places right now.
Speaker 2: I saw that movie for the first time this week. Didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I haven't seen a movie since I was already man.
Speaker 2: And then right at the end, the like post credits scene is Eddie Brock like Venom. Yes, yes, yes, the mad Max guy, I can't remember his name, and they're sitting at a bar and it's like, oh man, I'm gonna do all this stuff and then they like teleport him back to shitty Sony Land.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That sucks so bad because I really like those Venom movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like those Venom movies in my house too, And I.
Speaker 2: Would like to see that version of Venom show. It would be that would be the thing that would get me to go back and actually watch a Marvel movie in the theaters again.
Speaker 1: I want to play against Venom and if I lose, he eats me and then it's all over.
Speaker 2: You're give him the speech, please don't kill me, fuck the sky and eats your head.
Speaker 1: Yeah one bite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh, We've got a topic tomorrow, thinking outside the box again, as a result of some conversation that arose from last week's show about building on a budget, so tune in tomorrow morning for sixty two hit our theme song, We're bere