Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Monday, February seventeenth, President's Day. I'm Amy King. Good morning. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Well, Col Schreiber came in. He's getting ready to give us our first traffic report, and he's like, I didn't even know it was a holiday, dude, you're the traffic guy. Well it was light on the roads. Well it's yeah, I forgot four point thirty in the morning. Why not really busy, but kids are out of school today. Federal offices close, no stock market, I would guess, no mail, although who really gets much mail anymore.
Speaker 5: I get junk mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get junk mail, and every once in a while I get a check and I go, oh, thank god. But not a whole lot. Although for birthdays it was nice because I actually had mail in my mailbox. Yeah, here's what's ahead on wake up call. The fire delayed fortieth Kingdom Day Parade steps off this morning in South la. The parade was supposed to happen on January eighteenth. Organizers say it was postponed to keep fire and law enforcement personnel available for the fires in Pacific Palisades in Altadena. The theme of this year's parade is peace and Unity. Let it start with Us. Last week's heavy rains have caused a balcony to collapse in Silver Like. Four people and a dog were standing on the balcony when it collapsed onto a balcony below Saturday night on Robinson Street. One person had some minor injuries. The Department of Building and Safety said heavy rains led to a structural compromise of the balcony. That's one of my big fears, because I go over to my friend's house and she's got one of those little balconies that sticks out and there's like no brace, you know. And I know it's concrete and solid and all that, but it always makes me just just a schmidge nervous. Europeinion leaders are gathering in Paris for an emergency summit about Russia's war against Ukraine. The meetian was called after President Trump spoke with Russian President Putin about negotiating an end to the war. We're going to get the latest on that meeting. What they're going to be talking about with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. That's coming up at five twenty. Test scores and graduation rates are down all over the place except in Compton. We're going to find out why Compton is rocketed when it comes to success in education. Love this. We've had fires, we've had some floods. Maybe a big earthquake is next and now is the time to prepare your home for it. So we're going to bolt up. And that has nothing to do with the Chargers. We're going to be talking with the California Earthquake Authority about a new grant program that can help you pay for it. And flu is really bad this year. We're going to find out why, what to look for, and what you can do to try to stay healthy through this flu season. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La Mayor bass Now says it was a mistake for her to have been out of town last month when the deadly wildfires in past Pacific Place Essades and Alta Dina broke out.
Speaker 3: Bass was in Ghan as part of a US delegation attending the inauguration of that country's president when the fires broke out on January seventh. She returned early the next day. Forecasters had warned of dangerous fire conditions with wins ab up to one hundred miles an hour in low humidity. Baos says she's now working to regain the public's confidence by speeding up the cleanup in the fire area so the rebuilding process can begin.
Speaker 1: KF It's Tammy Truehio says. The mayor's also touting the Disastery Recover Center. Disaster Recovery Center is easy for me to say at UCLA Research Park West and the Altadena Disaster Recovery Center on Woodbury Street that are open daily. They'll help you get documents, permits, and other things needed to begin the rebuilding process. Researchers in la are trying to understand how the recent fires may have affected the ocean. The fires burned thousands of homes, businesses, cars, and electronics that has turned everyday items into hazardous ash made of pesticides, asbestos, plastics, lead, and heavy metals. Much of it could end up in the Pacific. Researchers say they want to know how that could affect life underwater. News brought to you by Premier America Credit Union. A man wanted for murder in Santa Monica has been arrested.
Speaker 6: The fatal shooting happened early in the morning hours of January fifteenth near Second and Broadway. Police have arrested twenty seven year old Fabian Mendez of Englewood in connection with the crime. Police say just before the shooting, the victim, described only as a man in his thirties who is believed to be homeless, was seen arguing with an unidentified woman. Bendez allegedly approached the victim and chased him into the middle of the street before shooting him in the back. Officers found the victim lying on the ground, where he was pronounced dead, and Mendez fled the scene. Mendes was charged with homicide and has a bail set of three million dollars. How the brooker can't find news.
Speaker 1: Right now, we got to tell you about something very special that's happening in Compton. So let's say good morning to Compton District Superintendent doctor Darren BRAWLEI, thanks for joining us, Doctor Browley.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 1: So Compton, Compton is bucking the trend of declining student performance. We're seeing it all over the place as students try to get back up to speed after the pandemic. Math and reading test scores are down all over in LA but not in Compton, which is now boasting a ninety three percent graduation rate. So doctor BROWLEI tell us, what are you doing different that is so successful in setting these kids up for success.
Speaker 5: Well, we really have a different system and placed in Compton. We focus on Malcolm Baldrich Performance excellent standards incorporated into everything that we do and doing so, we benchmark our performance against our surrounding school districts that I like to call our surrounding competitors. And we've been doing that for quite some time. And when we first started that process, we were significantly behind all of the surrounding school districts. When I got there thirteen years ago, our graduation rates were fifty eight percent. They're now ninety three percent. They're number one in Los Angeles County for some olar school districts and number one in the state for similar school districts with more than ninety percent, I'm duplicated people count and higher than ten thousand students.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 5: That benchmarking performance. We incorporate that into everything that we do against all the state dashboard indicators.
Speaker 1: Okay, so talk to us a little bit more about specifically what are you doing. So you not only say here's what we're doing, here's what they're doing, let's beat them, but you've got to put some You've got to have some systems in place to help the kids.
Speaker 5: Right there, right So based upon that, then we create smart goals, specific measurable, attainable results over time, and we also have superintendent data chats probably about every six weeks where we're looking at all those metrics, whether it's a ELA performance. As you saw, our performance over the last two years has been remarkable with m Compton. It's led to state two years in a row, as well as our math performance the same thing. We've led to stay two years in a row for some early situated school districts. So based upon that, our our site principles are responsible for creating action plans around those smart goals and then creating interventions for the students that are served. And in doing so, we have brought in quite a bit of tutors. More than tenhundred and fifty tutors have been brought into the system during the instructional day because we know that that's where we can have the most impact. And then those tutors are working with the students that are identified for interventions.
Speaker 1: Okay. And when you say they're identified for interventions, so you're looking for someone who might be struggling a little bit or they just need more personal attention.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we have lots of systems in place.
Speaker 1: So okay, So if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're checking up on everybody pretty constantly. There's like a you're always watching and then there's some that are doing good and you just keep encouraging them, and the ones that might be falling behind a little bit, then they get the tutors and they get the extra attention to get them back up to speed.
Speaker 5: That is correct, okay.
Speaker 1: And how do you get the students to buy in on it? I mean, like, are the students excited about it that there's competition or how are they reacting?
Speaker 7: Students?
Speaker 5: Students loved the additional attention that they get because you know, something that was you know, pretty abstract to them all of a sudden becomes attainable with the additional support. So students have brought I have bought into the concept. And we've also created a competition this year where you know, specific school wants to be another school. So now we've created this competition where one school wants to be a neighboring school that is doing better than them. And so we've we've rallied teachers as well as students behind that. And there's one one a different thing that we focus on, and that is the academic language of the assessment.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean?
Speaker 5: So the curriculum that we adopt uses language that is not necessarily the same as the academic language that students will actually take when they take the test. And so we have a high EL population thirty two percent within our organization, and so we focus on teaching students that explicit language so that when they see it, they know what the words mean. Gotcha, So you can know how to do it. But if you see words that you've never seen before, then you might freeze up and think that you do not know how to do it. And so we take a lot of time in ELA and math teaching the explicit vocabulary that they're likely to account.
Speaker 1: Got it. Doctor Darren Browley at Compton Unified, congratulations on the great work that you're doing with kids, and we expect great things from those kids one day.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: Isn't that fun? I'd love to hear success stories because you think about why are test scores declining and why aren't students about bouncing back? And it just sounds like Compton's figured it out and really focusing on the kid's benchmark, watching them closely and saying, hey, if that one isn't quite up to you know, isn't quite at the right level, We're going to work specifically that with that person and have tutors come in. I know that. I don't know if you guys ever had tutors, but I remember specifically. I was in pre algebra and it was like in eighth grade or something, or maybe it was in no, maybe it was it was a higher level, and there was something that I wasn't catching, and we went and got a tutor. There were several of us, and like when the light bulb goes on, you go, oh, I get it. But I wouldn't have gotten it. If I hadn't had that personal attention, who like made it make sense to me? So I think tutors are so cool. Anyway, wait to go, Compton. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. At least ten people have been killed in winter storms on the East Coast. Nine were in Kentucky, where Governor Andy Busheer says more flooding is on the way. He's also warning about snow for tomorrow and Wednesday, and that could complicate recovery efforts.
Speaker 8: While we have dealt with parts of the flash flooding, we are now going to see riverbank flooding that's going to hit a number of our communities and hit them significantly.
Speaker 1: This char's calling this one of Kentucky's most serious weather events in at least a decade. It's been five hundred days since the start of the war in Gaza between Israel and Hamas. Gaiffi's Michael Kassner says Hamas crossed the border into Israel October seventh, twenty twenty three, killing more than a thousand people and taking hundreds more hostage.
Speaker 9: The resulting war on leash by Israel on the Gaza Strip has since killed nearly fifty thousand and left the region devastated. As of Saturday, some seventy of the original two hundred and fifty one hostages remain in Hamas custody.
Speaker 1: He says Jimas also has the bodies of dozens of Israelis who've been killed by the terror group. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natanya, who says Israel and the US share a common strategy on the future of Gaza. President Trump has proposed moving Palestinians out of the Gaza Strip. A court in Russia has ordered a US citizen held in pre trial detention for thirty days for alleged drug smuggling. Russian police a twenty eight year old Colobe Buyers tried to smuggle a significant amount of drugs into the country ten days ago. A statement says Buyers was detained after customs officials at an airport found cannabis laced marmalade in his luggage. Buyers had arrived on a flight from Istanbul. President Trump says he thinks Russian President Putin wants to stop the fighting in Ukraine.
Speaker 9: I see that we spoke long and hard see whitcoffers with him for a very extended period, like about three hours.
Speaker 1: Wikoff is Special Envoy to the Middle East. Trump and Putin spoke last week, agreeing during the call to work together to start negotiations. Ukrainian President Zelenski says he wants security guarantees before any talks, and President Trump's been part of his weekend and with race fans in Florida. ABC's Nicole D'Antonio says Trump was at the Daytona five hundred yesterday.
Speaker 10: One week after becoming the first citing US president to attend the Super Bowl. With fighter jets flying overhead, Trump took a spin around the track in his presidential limousine.
Speaker 1: Trump and some of his family members also walked down into the pit and greeted drivers, team owners, crew members, and some fans. Two LAPD officers and a sergeant and lieutenant have been told to work from home and have had responsibilities taken away as the LAPD investigates sexist and racist remarks they allegedly made. Bli Times says a source, calls the comments shucking and crude. The fore work in the LAPD's recruiting employment division Santa Monica police are investigating a stabbing outside a popular bar that left one man dead and another injured. Plase say the stabbing happened shortly before two am Saturday outside the Bungalow on Wiltshire Boulevard that's within the Fairmount Miramar Hotel. Starbucks is rolling out new compostable cups in California and several other states. They are fiber based, with a bioplastic lining and having a opaque appearance. They'll be used for cold drinks. Starbucks says it has a goal to make its packaging reusable, recyclable or compostable by twenty thirty. At six oh five, Handle on the news Prime Minister Netanya, who says he wants to finish the job with Iran. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John, the job is just getting started. For EU leaders who called an emergency summit.
Speaker 11: Well, that's right, Amy, And the reason they've done that is because they are concerned that maybe left out of the whole process, the peace process in regards to the war in Ukraine that was started by Russia more than three years ago. In fact, the first meeting that will take place will not involve any EU leaders, any NATO leaders, any European folks at the table. It's just Russian officials, high level Russian officials, high level US officials. That meeting taking place in Saudi Arabia, the US delegation being led by Secretary of State Marco Rubio. So what Emmanuel Macron, the President of France, has decided is let's have our own meeting because when and if there is an end of the war, Europe certainly should have a say in terms of what the future of Ukraine looks like, what its security looks like. And that's the reason for that meeting taking place in Paris today.
Speaker 1: So who all is participating in that.
Speaker 11: Well, it's every Western European leader, as well as any country that has been a part of what's known as the Contact Group, that's all together fifty countries around the world. Will they all be represented, No, it's primarily European leaders that will be at this meeting in Paris that is taking place today. In the meantime, what President Trump has said is that Europe will have a seat at the table, Ukraine will have a seat at the table. It's just that this very first meeting that's taking place in Saudi Arabia is just going to involve US senior officials, Russian senior officials. I would imagine Mark Rubio's counterpart, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, would be there in Saudi Arabia as well. But the President has assured President Zelensky that he indeed will have a seat at the table and Ukraine will have a say in what Ukraine's future actually looks like.
Speaker 1: But Ukraine is not part of those talks in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 11: Correct, they are not, No, and that is a concerning obviously to President Zelensky. He was concerned by what we heard from Defense Secretary Pete Haigsith last week, who walked back comments that he made to defense ministers in Brussels last week in which he seemed to be giving away the store essentially to Vladimir Putin. Now it is the Vice President jd Vance who's speaking on these topics as it relates to what the end of the war in Ukraine looks like and what the future of Ukraine looks like. I don't think we're going to see Pete Hegseth going forward talking about the war in Ukraine to the extent that he was in Brussels just last week.
Speaker 1: And that's because he may have oversighted.
Speaker 11: That's because he just, yeah, he made some missteps and in terms of what he said which angered our European allies, angered Presidents Olinsky, and also angered some Republicans here at home. Republican senators who are big allies of Ukraine want to see Ukraine represented well in terms of bringing an end to the war, and they were angered that essentially the negotiating was being done by Pete Hegseth in such a way that you were taking negotiating tactics off the table as it relates to those conversations that will be happening with Russia in the very near future.
Speaker 1: Okay, and are there any indications John you mentioned giving away the store, Are there any indications of what Ukraine is going to have to concede and what Russia is going to have to concede to get to, you.
Speaker 11: Know, Amy, to know that answer, I think we have to know, you know, how close how close Russian officials are and Ukraine officials are in terms of just getting to the point where you could have a temporary ceasefire and we're not there yet I don't know how close that is. I don't know if it's days, weeks, months away. I think that that's part of the conversations that Secretary Rubio will be having with his Russian counterparts to figure out is there some sort of meeting of the minds to get to the point where you initially have what we have right now, at least on paper. Is this ceasefire between Hamas and Israel. That's what President Trump would like to have, a temporary ceasefire to begin with between Russia and Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we'll be watching and hoping that they can figure that out. Thank you so much. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 1: Four people have been hurt in Silver Lake when the balcony they were standing on collapsed. One of those hurt late Saturday was taken to the hospital. This man tells KTLA he had just gone to bed when he heard a loud boom from upstairs.
Speaker 2: Portunate for them, the balcony below had broken its fall, and so they were just literally trapped in the corner with all the furniture on top of them, walking into carnage and adam our neighbor is just getting up off the balcony that had collapsed and says call nine one one.
Speaker 1: People in the building were reportedly told by the Department of Building and Safety that the recent rain had led to a structural compromise. Riverside County Sheriff Chad Byancos expected to announce today whether he plans to run for governor of California. Bianco is a Republican and has been a vocal supporter of President Trump and a critical opponent of Governor Newsom and Democratic Party policies. He is expected to make the announcement at eleven am. A voter and a dog are recovering after being rescued from a dinghy eighteen miles east of Catalina. A friend put in a distress call on Saturday night. The Coastguard was sent out. They found the person and the dog in the dinghy and brought them back to shore. The voter has mild hypothermia but is otherwise okay. Attention LA drivers. New cameras on buses could mean a ticket in your mailbox.
Speaker 12: Starting today, Metro and La Dot will start issuing two hundred and ninety three dollars tickets for illegally parking in bus only lanes on Wilsher and Librea. To crack down, fifty cameras have been installed on buses along these seven to twenty and two point two bus routes. The cameras will spot violators, record license plates, and send footage to LA DOT officers to issue fines. Metro says one parked car can delay hundreds of writers and heads up. Even more enforcement is on the way. Cameras will also roll out on lines nine, ten, nine fifty, and seventy with a sixty day warning period starting March third. So ellie drivers stay out of those bus lanes unless you want a pricey reminder in the mail. Brigida Degostino KFI News.
Speaker 1: Even the Department of Homeland Securities feeling the effects of President Trump's efforts to streamline the federal government. About four hundred people at DHS have been laid off, many of them at FEMA. Workers at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and at US Citizenship and Immigration Services also lost jobs. Saturday Night Live has celebrated fifty years with lots of famous friends. Paul Simon and Sabrina Carpenter opened the SNL fifty anniversary special last night. Paul McCartney closed it out with medley of Abbey Road. Actor and comedian Steve Martin delivered the opening monologue seems only fitting Sketches featured former cast members Will Ferrell, Kristin Wigg and Eddie Murphy. Shoot. I missed it. I was sleeping. I hope I can get the streaming. I bet it was really fun. A forty seven year old man has been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of a thirty two year old man on a busy street in North Hollywood. Police say gunfire broke out shortly before two am Saturday in front of a bar on Magnolia Boulevard. At least ten people have been killed in flooding from the severe storms that slammed the southern US. Kentucky Governor Andy Bursheer says President Trump has already approved a disaster declaration and FEMA will be responding to the hardest hit areas. A lot of people are seeing red at the box office. Captain America Brave New World, featuring a new Red Hulk, took in eighty eight and a half million dollars in its opening weekend is expected to top one hundred million by the time the holiday weekend is over. Paddington in Peru was a distance second in its opening weekend, earning thirteen million dollars in theaters at six o five at tandle on the news. Guess what else is getting more expensive gas? It's approaching five dollars again. Okay, brace yourself. We had fires last month and then some flooding last week, so now maybe be a good time to get ready for the next natural disaster, maybe an earthquake. So let's say good morning to the Chief Mitigation Officer for the California Earthquake Authority, Janille Maffay.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Thank you for having me, Thanks.
Speaker 1: So much for coming on. I know that we had talked about this in the past, but now this new program is becoming available and we want to get the word out so people take advantage of it, and it's going to help protect your home against an earthquake.
Speaker 11: It's right.
Speaker 4: The Earthquake Brace and Bolt program is open and ready for registrations. It's an important opportunity to make your house more resistant to earthquake damage.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's called Earthquake Brace and Bolt. So tell us what exactly we need to do and what the what the money goes to. How do people make their homes safer?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: So this is so very important for older houses, and to be more specific, if you have a pre nineteen eighty house, you might have this vulnerability. If you have a pre nineteen forty house, you do have this vulnerability. And it's the house that has a crawl space under it, under that first floor. And the older houses were just designed and built before we knew a lot about how buildings performed in earthquakes, and so it lacks bolting to the foundation and bracing around those short little walls around the crawl space, and this can be very very devastating. These houses come off their foundation, not yet reoccupied, two and a half years later and you're out somewhere else, living somewhere else, all the while still paying that mortgage. So earthquake Brace and Bolt has some great retrofit schemes to make your house more protected in an earthquake.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Janelle, And it's as simple, I mean, I'm sure it's not like I can't do it myself, But it's as simple as bolting the foundation and like putting the foundation and the house together so when there's those significant shaking, the house doesn't bounce off the foundation.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. And you know, maybe Amy, you and I couldn't do it, but there are some talented do it yourselfers who actually can do this work. People who you have already got the tools. A contractor can do this in two to three days. It's really it's all under the house, and nobody's patting around your house and little Booty's and that's exactly right. They're going under the house and they're putting bolts between the wood part of the house and the concrete foundation. And then they're putting plywood. If you've got those short little stud walls, they're putting plywood and nailing it up. Like everybody's heard the term shear wall. Just nice stiff plywood that's going to keep that house over its foundation.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you can get help doing this because obviously it's not going to be free, but the California Earthquake Authority can help you pay for this.
Speaker 4: It's exactly right. What we have are grants. These are not loans, they're grants. And on average it's about a fifty two hundred dollars retrofit a little bit less expensive actually in southern California, and we have an up to three thousand dollars grant that's our typical grant, and then very importantly for income qualifying households, we have an additional supplemental grant that down in southern California can help and for many people might pay for the entire retrofit. So very important also is that we have the rules, and the rules are that you do a code compliant retrifit, you do the entire cross space, you do it with a permit, and you significantly increase the likelihood that house is going to stay on its foundation in an earthquake. Lots of information. Our rules are going to keep you right there at that code compliant retrofit, and that permit process will keep you on schedule, and it's a grant and really really increase the likelihood that you can shelter in place after an earthquake.
Speaker 1: I love that so kind of an ounce of prevention. Spend a little bit now, a little bit of time, and hopefully get some grant to help you with it, and save your house from probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Where do they get more information?
Speaker 4: Janiel So Earthquake brace bolt dot com registration open until March twenty sixth. And we've got fantastic people the other end of a phone or email if you have questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, great Janille Mfi with the California Earthquake Authority, the Chief Mitigation Officers. Such great information again, Earthquake brace Bolt. Find out if your house is going to get one of those grants to make your house more earthquakes safe.
Speaker 7: Thanks Janail, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. And La County Sheriff's deputy has been hurt in a crash in Carson. The deputy was responding to a call with no lights or sirens last night when the patrol car was t boned on the driver's side. The driver for the other car was not hurt. They remained at the scene. Smash and grab burglars have rammed a car into a smoke shop in Eagle Rock. Video shows a black car slamming into the store twice last night on Colorado Boulevard near Eagle Rock Boulevard. At least three people ran into the store to steal stuff. It's not clear how much they got away. With the federal governments expected to run out of money in less than a month unless lawmakers can read a new budget agreement. House Minority Leader Hakim Jeffries says Democratic lawmakers will insist any spending agreement protects the American wallets, health and safety, and meets national security needs.
Speaker 9: This budget that is working its way through the House of Representatives is a nonstought.
Speaker 5: Every single Democrat opposed it a few days ago in the Budget Committee.
Speaker 1: The deadline is March fourteenth. The CHP is working to hire more women. Women only make up six percent of the CHP officers in the state. Interested ladies, you do have to be able to pass a written and physical agility test and also be between twenty one and thirty five years old. Health experts say the disease infecting one hundred different species of birds and a range of mammals, including millions of chickens, is a global pandemic in animals. ABC's Alexis Christoforosys, it's one reason why egg brices are through the roof.
Speaker 6: The price of eggs up fifty three percent in just the past year. The average is now four ninety five for a dozen eggs, but some people are paying much more than that.
Speaker 1: She says, with Easter just a few weeks away, demand is going to rise even more, and it is expected that egg prices will go up another twenty percent by the end of the year. Honora has picked up another trophy as we get closer to the big daddy of them all, the Oscars, which is coming up March second. At Saturday Nights Writers Guild Awards at the Beverly Hilton, Sean Baker to comb Best Original Screenplay for Honora in the Adapted category the screenplay for Nickel Boys by Ramel Ross and Jocelyn Barnes to comb the prize. La Mayor Bass has admitted it was a mistake for her to take a trip to attend the presidential inauguration in Ghana right before the deadly wildfires broke out in Pacific Palisades in Altadena. The mayor says she's working now to regain the public's trust. A bird flu vaccine for chickens has been given the green light. The Department of Agriculture gave conditional approval Friday to an updated vaccine. This comes as millions of chickens have been killed to try to stop the spread of bird flu, which is in turn led to massive spikes in egg prices. Metro and the LA Department of Transportation are going to start issuing tickets today for cars parked along two bus lines bus lanes in LA. The lanes are being watched. They are bus lines seven twenty along Wilshire Boulevard and the two twelve along LaBrea Avenue. More will be added in later. The fine for parking in a bus lane two hundred and ninety three dollars. We are just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, European Union leaders have called an emergency summit. Bill's gonna have something to say about that. I'm sure right now. We've got flu season and it's a bad one, so we wanted to get somebody on a specialist to let us know a little bit more about it and what we can do to protect ourselves against it. So let's say good morning now to Sun Jones, who has the longest title ever. So I'm just going to say that you are the Systematic plan of Evaluation and Curriculum Evaluator for the University of Phoenix. Good morning, sun.
Speaker 7: Good morning. Yeah, it's a long title, but basically, I'm a family that's practitioner in practicing for the last twenty four years.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then let's dive right in. The flu season. This year is really bad. How bad.
Speaker 7: It is? The CDC reports is the one of the worst in years, and I think it's the highest rate in fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Okay, and son, then that begs the question, why is it so bad this year?
Speaker 7: So the assumption is, you know a lot of people did not get fleu you know, during the COVID season because we were using the protection, you know, so we stayed away and it increased their immunity. And the other thing is that the flue vaccine uptake was really low, the fear compared to previous years.
Speaker 1: And so that's the flu vaccine rate.
Speaker 7: Was low, right, The people who are receiving flu vaccine were lower than usual.
Speaker 1: Okay. And you mentioned during COVID that we all stayed away from each other, like we were told to the six feet or ten feet apart and don't be in crowded rooms and all of those helped to mitigate the spread of the flu as well. And then you mentioned because we didn't get it. Are immunity lowers right?
Speaker 7: Sometimes by having flu or being exposed to flu virus, we can build some immunity. And it is you know, when we don't get exposed that our immunity goes down. So and then also the precussion, you know, wearing the mask and washing our hands, and those are they thinks that we prevented ourselves someone getting flu and that's one of the reasons. Maybe we're more relaxed now and being exposed to each other a little bit more. Not too many people are using the precaution such as you know, staying away from sick people or if you're sick, staying out of the public places. And maybe those are the reasons. So why there's saying Chris, number of flus at this time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned the hand washing. Remember during COVID you were supposed to wash your hands for like twenty seconds. And I think that you've gone back to our old ways, although I'm still kind of an obsessive hand washer. Then, as far as the spread of the flu, it's just airborne. So if you're in a room, how long do you have to be exposed to somebody? Can it be like passing somebody in the hallway or do you have to sit and have exposure for a while.
Speaker 7: Right, incubation is about seven days, but it's the drop lest So if you're unfortunate to get one of the drop lefts from those people who are thick and they cough, it sneeds and it can travel to sixty you know, and you get that on your hands and you happen to rub your eyes, your nose or whatever, and you get that in your system, you're going to get you're going to get sick with the flu.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then you mentioned the vaccine, and the vaccine is actually flu virus, right, but.
Speaker 7: It's dead virus right. Instead, it's a portions it's a chopped up you know, virus strain. So you don't really get glue from the flu vaccine. And a lot of people fear that they would get flu from flu vaccine, but you don't. You may get little bit sick because your body is trying to build your immunity from that virus, you know, virus strain. And that's a lot of people translate that from getting you know, flu from flu vaccine. But it's not okay.
Speaker 1: And if you do get the flu, what are some of the common symptoms that you're going to watch for. And how is it different than a cult.
Speaker 7: You get more seriously ill with the flu. Body aches might be more sick year you get higher temperature. You know, your fever can go up to one of three and one of four, where common cold you may get, you know, fever of one on one. You know, you get that with your body aches. And some people elderly and the children can get pneumonia and they can get seriously ill. Unfortunately, even last you know, a couple of weeks so we had quite a few deaths related to flu. So you you will fail. You will feel the pain body you know, body extend, just chills and not feeling well with the flu.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you do have the flu, you know, you might just write it out, but when is it time to go to the doctor or even to the hospital.
Speaker 7: So especially for the young children or if you're pregnant, if you have low immunity, I would if you feel like you have flu symptoms like fever and body agges, and just take yourself to your health care provider get yourself tested, because there are tests for COVID and flu. But if you're healthy young, just stay home, get some vest, plenty of fluids and you can take them over the counter medications for fever and by eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, And don't forget to wash your hands, right.
Speaker 7: That's correct, wash their hands and stay away from people.
Speaker 1: Stay away from people. Yeah, okay, Son Jones again the longest title ever Systematic Plan of Evaluation and Curriculum Evaluator at the University of Phoenix. Very well earned, I'm sure, Son. Thank you so much for the information. Hopefully it'll help some people not get sick this season.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. You know it is President's Day. I have some fun facts about presidents. So starting with number one, we've all heard that he had wooden teeth, George Washington. Well, apparently they weren't wood but this is even grosser. Okay. So they're made of ivory okay, fine gold and human and animal teeth. So they like took teeth out of somebody else and put them into dr Yeah okay. John Adams is kind of interesting, and Thomas Jefferson. They are President's number two and three. They died within hours of each other on the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: Right, that's interesting. So maybe they were like, I gotta stay alive to say fifty years of this new nation.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: John Quincy Adams only agreed to speak with Anne Royle, who was the first woman to interview a president. So John Quincy Adams was number six. And how did she get him to agree to it? Well, she stole his clothes while he was taking a bath in the Potomac River.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give your clothes back if you talk with me. I love that. Martin van Buren number eight owned two tiger tiger cubs. They were pets. They were given to him as gifts from the Sultan of Oman. This is very sad. William Henry Harrison, President number nine, gave the longest inaugural address in history, even longer than Trump's. Can you believe it? One hundred and five minutes. He didn't wear a hat or an overcoat. The address was held in March four of eighteen forty one. And then after he gave that long address where he was outside without a hat or overcoat, he got pneumonia and died at the White House a month later. Boom first president to die in office. James Buchanan number fifteen was the only president who never married, and so they didn't have a first lady, so they had a White House hostess while he was in office, and it was his niece, Ulysses S. Grant, number eighteen. He was born High Room Ulysses Grant, but he changed his name because you know how like you get the three, you get your initials on stuff, and he didn't want his monogram to be hug Markay yeah, okay. And Benjamin Harris number twenty three was the first president and to have electricity in the White House, and one time he apparently got an electrical shock, and so his family was freaked out about touching the light switches, and so sometimes they just leave the lights on all night because they didn't want to turn them off. Yeah, fun facts. This President's Day. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, And just like that, our time with wake up call is done. Southland weather from KFI areas of fog and low clouds and a mix of sun and clouds this afternoon. Highs in the mid upper sixties at the coast Metro LA and Inlando c Around seventy in the valleys. In i e. Fifties and sixties for the Antelote Valley morning, low clouds, afternoon sun Tomorrow, couple degrees cooler than today, and then partly cloudy Wednesday and Thursday. Hides in the upper sixties to mid seventies, will warm up a bit into the seventies to about eighty Friday and through the weekend. It's forty seven in Diamond Bar, fifty one in Newport Beach, fifty one in Palmdale, and forty nine in Calabasas. We lead local live from the KFI twenty for our newsroom for producer Ann who is back with US technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.