Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App kf I and kost In HT two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: That include Good Call You host, Amy Kay.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, May twenty seven.
Speaker 5: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 4: If you had a long holiday weekend, hope you enjoyed your time off.
Speaker 5: We got to work. Will's back.
Speaker 4: Hey, you skipped out on us yesterday along the handle. That's okay, that's okay. That's what holidays are for. Handmaid's Tale. Don't tell me if you've watched it, because the last episode, the season and the series finale dropped last night.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: I hope it's good. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Speaker 5: I hope it's good too.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say anything because if you haven't watched it, there's a lot of like you're like, oh my god, they did what, Oh my god, they did what?
Speaker 5: Which I love that about the show.
Speaker 4: But I still think the first season of Handmaid's Tale was probably the best.
Speaker 3: So it was just so creepy.
Speaker 4: It's yeah scary, yeah, yeah, and at some point you're like, June, how many times can you avoid being killed?
Speaker 5: And why do you keep going back? Well, she's going back.
Speaker 4: Because of her daughter. I know her daughter, Hannah's still there. But yeah, So if you've seen Handmaid's Tale, don't tell me. My friend Debbie said, I'm staying up and watching it and then I'm gonna text you and I'm like, why would you do that to me? Okay, So Will walked into the studio and he goes, ooh, and I'm like what. He goes, oh, somebody left a mask. I think it was Mark Ronner. Oh, but I was.
Speaker 5: I was at the story yesterday because you know, what do you do on Memorial there? You go to the store.
Speaker 4: I was at the story yesterday and I was like, what is going on? There were so many people in the little strip mall where I was wearing masks and they were wearing them outside.
Speaker 5: I was like, did you not get the memo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the outside part I don't get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there were several people and I was like, what is happening with this? Maybe are they Maybe it's because the cold's going around that I have still that they're trying to protect themselves don't. I don't know if you know, you can DM me at Amy K. King' I don't get it, don't understand it. Also, I don't know how you spent your Memorial Day. But since we worked, there was no barbecuing and that kind of stuff. Yesterday I was in a patriotic move mood and so I watched Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick.
Speaker 3: Oh fun.
Speaker 5: I love those movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was fun to watch it, and it was amazing to watch them. You know, forty years later, it's the first one forty years ago or thirty years ago, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I know numbers.
Speaker 4: They're still great. They're still great. Anyway, here's what's ahead on wake up call. Welcome back to your short work week. A woman is in critical condition after she was shot by police following a chase and a standoff that ended in Woodland Hills. The woman has had surgery after she was taken into custody late yesterday morning. Three more of the escaped inmates in New Orleans have been recaptured, one in Louisiana, the two others in Texas. That leaves two remaining inmates on the loose. Two students from La County and one from Orange County will begin competing in the script's National Spelling Bee today in National Harbor, Maryland. We'll be cheering on Kamya Bellagie from Notre Dame Academy in Rancho Park, Oliver Halcott from the Merman's School in Brentwood, and Sydney Tran from l Rancho Charter School in Anaheim. Go kids. Some much needed aid is getting into Gaza things to a US backed relief organization, but Hamas is warning Palestinians not to take it. ABC Strodana Miller joins us to explain that. Coming up in just a couple of minutes. The tariff roller coaster continues. ABC's Karen Travers has the latest on the proclamation from President Trump that has stock futures soaring this morning. That's at five thirty five. Where have all the great perks gone? Remember all the credit card companies used to have them? Everybody used to have them. Kfi's Rory O'Neil on why companies are eighty six ing them and why?
Speaker 5: Oh I said, on why and why that's a double way. We'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: No tax on tips part of President Trump's Big Beautiful bill, which is headed over to the Senate. Does Joel Larsgard think that's a good idea and why millionaires are renting instead of buying these days.
Speaker 5: That's coming up at the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman shot by police after a chase and a standoff in Woodland Hills is in critical condition. LAPD Detective Megan Aguilar says officers first contacted the woman in Van Eys yesterday morning when shots were reported.
Speaker 7: They were able to get a little bit of information from her, but during that engagement she produced a handgun, pointed it at herself, and got back in the van.
Speaker 4: She then led lease into a neighborhood in Woodland Hills where there was another standoff. At one point she got onto the roof of the van and was holding a gun to her head. She was shot by police when she jumped off and ran over to a porch of a home. A man's been arrested in connection with the shootings of a fourteen year old boy and two adults in the Shoreline Village area of Long Beach will Last say. The boy was shot in the leg Sunday night, a man and a woman were both shot in the upper body. Officers say there'd been an argument between a large group of people near a boat. The guy arrested is the owner of the boat. Looks like we're going to have a hot summer in California.
Speaker 8: Noah predicts that much of California will experience higher than normal temperatures this summer. For June through August, there's a fifty to sixty percent chance of warmer weather in northern and eastern California, and a forty to fifty percent chance along the southern coast. Summer solstice starts on June twentieth, marking the first day of summer. Dinakodiak KFI News.
Speaker 4: Let's check in now with ABC's Giordana Millerana. So much needed aid is getting into Gaza, but not everyone's happy about that.
Speaker 5: So what is going on?
Speaker 9: Well, we're seeing now for more than a week, aid trucks finally roll into the Gaza strip. Not enough, it has to be said over and over again. I mean the average now for the last week since aid was allowed back in and the Israeli Prime Minister lifted that ban, we've seen about one hundred trucks go in per day. That's really a drop in the bucket, right. Gaza's need somewhere around five to six hundred trucks of aid. That's what we saw during the ceasefire. So this is way under what they need. And we're still hearing the Israeli Prime Minister talk about the new Israeli American system that's supposed to ramp up and begin in the next several days to deliver aid directly to the people of Gaza through several different distribution centers that will be set up secured by the Israeli Army American private companies there to distribute the aid directly to gossens. It's an effort really to undercut Hamas's control of aid then, and by that we can its grip on the Gaza strip. But having said all that, this system, which was really supposed to open yesterday according to the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, it is not up and running yet. The site there appears to be opened, but there's no trucks going in. We're not seeing gozens come to get aid. In fact, we are seeing Hamas tell goosens not to go there. They're trying to spread propaganda saying that the distribution centers are a plot by Israel to spy on gossens, et cetera, et cetera. And they're telling people not to go to these distribution centers. But so far, even the first one that was supposed to as I said, open yesterday in southern Gaza, it's still not up and running.
Speaker 4: Okay, And there Jordana's saying don't go to these senders. Are they threatening the Palestinians or are they just saying, oh, it's you know, oh that it's not really aid, so just stay away.
Speaker 9: No, there was an implied threat in one of the statements from the Hamas Ministry of Interior saying that they will be you know, people who go will be quote unquote dealt with. So there appears to be threats that Hamas is Uh is leveling against people who go to these distribution centers, which, of course, you know, we have to remember. You know, we call out the intense air raids and the air bombing campaigns by the Israelis that kill far too many civilians. We know it's a problem, it's been going on throughout the war. We also need to call out Hamas in times like this when they claim and we know people are hungry and starving across the Gaza strip, and they're willfully and intentionally trying to you know, prevent people from going to get aid to get food. And that's a problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an impossible situation for the Palestinian people.
Speaker 5: It's just it's so tragic.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go ahead, No.
Speaker 9: It is terrible. I mean they always seem to pay, you know, the heaviest price the Palestinians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, abcster Donna Miller, thanks so much for the information. We'll keep an eye on it and hope more aid gets in. Tucks in, all right, take care, I know, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Investigators have arrested more of the jail inmates who escaped in New.
Speaker 10: Orleans, finding two in Texas yesterday and one in Baton Rouge. Eight of the ten inmates who escaped May sixteenth, they're now back in custody. Many have faced murder charges and were labeled high risk offenders.
Speaker 4: ABC's Andrew Dimbert says the men crawled through a hole behind a toilet earlier this month, reportedly using electric hair trimers to cut through the cell wall. At least nine people have been arrested for helping them. A US German citizen has been charged with trying to bomb an embassy building in Israel. He was arrested in New York on Sunday. ABC Stephani Ramos says Joseph Neumayer had been in Tel Aviv before that.
Speaker 6: Authority say Newmeyer arrived in Israel in April.
Speaker 5: He was deported to the.
Speaker 2: US and arrested by the FBI at JFK Airport this weekend.
Speaker 4: He's charged with attempting to destroy the US embassy by means of fire or explosive. He's facing up to twenty years in prison if convicted. Nearly thirty people have been hurt by a mini van that plowed into crowds of soccer fans celebrating in Liverpool, England. Witnesses say the driver spread through the crowd lining the parade route, but Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Simms with my Merseyside Police says they're not treating it as terrorism.
Speaker 1: You believe this to be an isolated incident and we are not currently looking for anyone else in relation to it.
Speaker 4: Things escalator when the crowd started smashing the minivan's windows. The driver hit the gas again, hitting more parade goers. He is now in police custody. A boat captain in Florida has been sentenced for shooting and poisoning dolphins. Zachary Barfield ran a charter fishing boat out of Panama City. Prosecutors say shot at least five dolphins with a shotgun and fed poisoned bait to many more between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three because he was angry the dolphins were stealing fish from his clients. At least one dolphin was killed, others became sick. Barfield was sentenced last week to a month in jail in a fifty one thousand dollars fine. Not nearly enough. Can I just say that, not nearly enough? Oh my gosh, that's so infuriating. President Trump and House Speaker Johnson are urging the Senate to make minimal changes to the the One Big Beautiful Bill Act, which was recently passed in the House. The goal is to get the bill signed into law by the fourth of July. Some Republican senators are pushing back. They say the bill increases the deficit and lacks serious spending cuts.
Speaker 5: A hearing is.
Speaker 4: Set for Thursday over a federal judge's order that temporarily blocked the Trump administration's ban on international students enrolling in Harvard ABC Selina Wang says the government is threatening to take three billion dollars in grants away from Harvard Harvard and give them to trade schools instead.
Speaker 6: The White House claims Harvard has become a hotbed of anti American, anti Semitic, pro terrorist agitators, allegations.
Speaker 5: Harvard denies.
Speaker 4: Nearly seven thousand international students attend Harvard. The first locally born giant pandas in Hong Kong finally have names. They are Jia and Day Day. I'm not even sure if I'm pronouncing this right. The cubs had been affectionately known as Elder Sister and Little Brother. They were born in August, and the names were announced today in a ceremony theme park where they live. Their parents and two other giant pandas that arrived from mainland China last year are also there. The names were winning suggestions from residents in a naming contest. Jiazia and Day Day Day Day, They're what I can remember. Yeah, today the Dodgers. Speaking of day days, Today the Dodgers take on the Guardians in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: First pitch goes out at three.
Speaker 4: You can listen to all the Dodger games all season long on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. Brought to you by Navian High Efficiency water heaters, boilers and the new NPF hydro furnace. Learn more at Navianinc dot com. A seventy year old man has been killed in a crash with an LAPD SUV and Sun Valley. The crash happened shortly before two yesterday afternoon on Sataqoi Street.
Speaker 5: The man died at the scene. Two officers were hurt. Their injuries are not said to be life threatening. The Palm Springs fertility clinic that got targeted in a car bombing is set to reopen at a temporary location today. It's going to be across the street. The clinic on North Indian Canyon Drive was severely damaged in the bombing May seventeenth. The bomber was killed.
Speaker 4: Dodgers' first baseman, Freddie Freeman, and his wife Chelsea, have made a one million dollar donation to Children's Hospital of Orange County why Well.
Speaker 5: Last year, the.
Speaker 4: Hospital treated Freeman's son Maximus, after he developed a severe case of gian Barret syndrome. He has since recovered. Let's say good morning now to kfi's Rory O'Neill.
Speaker 5: Okay, Rory, we all love the perks.
Speaker 4: We like the cash back on our Costco cards, miles with our credit cards, access to airport lounges, and free Uber rides with American Express Gold card.
Speaker 5: But the goodies seemed to be going away. What in the heck is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this essentially is happening because a lot of the companies that provide the goodie, whether it's that airport lounge or that hotel or that rental car company, some of them are looking at what might be a dodgy summer for domestic travel, and the concern is they might start to roll back on some of those sweet, sweet premiums. And you know, some of the experts who look at the credit card space say, you know, if you are hoarding these points or you've got to if you've built up pretty strong balances of points or miles, this may be the time to cash in. The concern is, if you have sixty thousand miles, it's a fifty thousand miles for a free airline ticket. Well maybe they're going to up it to one hundred thousand miles and you just missed the boat or the airplan, I guess in that case. So they're suggesting that you don't hoard points and make sure that you're using a card that gives you rewards that you actually want to use. You know, sometimes our travel patterns change, we fall in love with another kind of a hotel chain or airline or whatever it may be. So make sure that if you are using a card with perks, that you actually have a perk you want. And the last thing, which is paramount over everything, make sure you pay the card in full every month.
Speaker 3: Otherwise this deal does not help you out.
Speaker 5: Because you're paying more to get the perks.
Speaker 2: Right, These twenty three percent interest rates pretty much on average these days for credit cards really just helped the banks. And you're much better off putting that money on the credit card balance or paying it off entirely and paying for the perk separately, of.
Speaker 4: Course, and that's information our very own Joel Larsgard can get behind. We're going to be talking to him more about some other fun credit things a little bit later this hour. So you mentioned the mileage plans and not to hoard them, and I know that I do kind of hoard my Alaska Airlines miles. But I've noticed then that they they'll come out and they'll go.
Speaker 5: Hey, we've made these great new changes right to.
Speaker 4: The mileage plans, and you got to be careful because those great new changes generally aren't. I know that Southwest made changes a couple of years ago to theirs. They used to have, like you fly eight times and then you get a free ride.
Speaker 2: That's gone well, right, and then look at what's Alaska and what's the future of that airline and mergers and who just got bought and who's on top, and so now what's happening to all this That also adds to some of the confusion. And look, Southwest is changing again. Today is the last day you can buy a ticket on Southwest and still get two free bags to fly.
Speaker 3: That policy started, That policy.
Speaker 2: Ends tomorrow, and then they're going to introduce this basic fare, which not to be not to denigrate Spirit Airlines, but essentially they're selling a spirit kind of ticket. It comes with nothing and you board the plane last. That's how cheap this fair is going to be from Southwest. And if that's what you're interested in, good luck to you. But the Southwest is even going to start assigned seating, but that's not until fall. The big one to remember is that the free bag policy. You can buy the tickets through today and then that's it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I gotta say I like Southwest, but my friend Debbie and I were just talking about this year. She goes, I don't think I'm gonna find anymore because they're going to the super cheap like the not having the assigned seats has always been, you know, it is what it is, kind of going to the bargain basement.
Speaker 5: Airlines is just like stop you guys.
Speaker 3: Well it's a race to the bottom, right You're like, yeah, do I have this card? And why do I have that?
Speaker 2: And maybe you want to start flying, you know, maybe you want another airline with more of the perks and you start flying with them. At the same time, some Southwest credit card users or elite people will be able to have the free bag, so again, sort of manage these things more carefully, because look, these credit card companies.
Speaker 3: Are not loyal to you, so why are we loyal to them? Right?
Speaker 2: So if it means hopping around and finding the best deal for you, go do it, because they're not going to do.
Speaker 3: It for you. They don't really reward your loyalty at the end.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rory, is there anywhere that you know of that people can find kind of the perks that are still being offered?
Speaker 5: Or do you just have to search them out?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I always like to refer to the Points Guy website. They dot com. They always seem to follow what's next, and they're really good on those maximizing points and doing the crazy stuff.
Speaker 3: But look, I'm more for it.
Speaker 2: Can I just get an upgrade as I fly from Detroit to Kansas City? I don't need the I get to fly in the sky apartment of Cutter Airlines?
Speaker 3: No, No, I just want the little perks. I don't need the big ones.
Speaker 2: And I'm six ft six so anything I can get to gets me a lot more leg room. That's the that's the benefit. All snatch up.
Speaker 4: Okay, forget that, I just forgot everything you said because you said sky apartment on Cutter Airlines.
Speaker 5: I want that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's it's got a shower and it's got yeah, I mean it's for thirty dollars.
Speaker 3: I think I add a zero, but yeah, really yeah, it's something crazy like that.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, on that note, welcome back to Radio Amy.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Kavs roy O'Neil. Thanks so much for the info check out points guy dot com. That's a great, great tip, Okay, and inmate had a brief taste of freedom after escaping from this facility in Silmar for convicts who work on fire cruise. Thirty three year old Angel Gaola walked away from the Holton Conservation Camp on Sunday night. Law enforcement picked him up yesterday morning. He's serving a six year sentence for second degree robbery and had been working at the Holton camp since January. The Department of Corrections says since nineteen seventy seven in California, ninety nine percent of all inmates who escape have been recaptured. A Pasadena firefighter who helped fight the Eton fire has been hurt in a motorcycle crash.
Speaker 11: The Pasadena Fire Department confirms firefighter paramedic Armin Hagopian was involved in a serious motorcycle crash last Tuesday, he suffered a severe spinal cord injury and is recovering in the ICU. Doctors say he has paralyzed from the waist down, with no indication his condition will improve. Hagopian has been with the Pasadena Fire Department for more than six years. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 4: A man teaching a teen relative to drive in Laguna Beach has been killed in a crash Lise. The car was on the up We're a parking lot of Gelson's Market yesterday when the driver, who has a permit, went through a fence barrier and down an embankment. The car plummeted about forty feet onto the road below and landed upside down.
Speaker 5: The team drivers survived and was taken to the hospital.
Speaker 4: Millions of Americans have taken a hit to their credit score because of delinquent student loans.
Speaker 12: The Federal Reserve Bank of New York analysis shows credit scores dropped more than one hundred points for over two million delinquent student loan borrowers. Scores fell one hundred and fifty points or more for more than a million in the first three months of twenty twenty five. It's similar to the sharp drop that follows a personal bankruptcy filing. Researchers said about two million of those previously had favorable credit scores and would have qualified for car loans, mortgages, or credit cards before the delinquencies were reported.
Speaker 3: Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 4: Your smartphone might really make you smart, Go Figure ABC. Sherry Preston says that's the result of a new study published in the journal Nature.
Speaker 5: Human Behavior.
Speaker 13: Scientists study more than four hundred thousand adults with an average age of sixty nine and found those who engaged with digital technology on smartphones, tablets, or computers had a fifty eight percent reduced risk of cognitive impairment.
Speaker 4: She says possible reasons why are that the challenge of adapting to new technology stimulates your brain and that technology can help you connect with others. Police now say more than a thousand people were in some way involved in Saturday night's chaotic events on the streets of downtown LA. The group sprayed a police car with graffiti, also sprayed businesses and a metro train. They also blocked metro tracks for a time. Mayor Bass says the people were recruited for the party at a vacant warehouse. Online shouts of joy turned into shrieks of terror as a minivan plowed into a crowd of Liverpool soccer fans who were out celebrating the city's Premier League championship. Forty five people were hurt, including at least four children. Four of the victims, including a child, were trapped under the van, and firefighters had to lift the van off to free them. A fifty three year old man's been arrested. Police say they believe he acted alone and this is not being investigated as an act of terror. Noah has predicted a hotter than normal summer for California from June through August. Forecasters say there's a fifty to sixty percent chance of warmer than normal weather for northern and eastern California, and a forty to fifty percent chance it'll be hotter than normal in southern California. The first day of summer is June twentieth. At six oh five, it's handle on the news.
Speaker 5: Bill is back.
Speaker 4: I bet you he's going to have a thing or two to say, and he's probably really depress because Cosco was closed yesterday. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, I don't know if you remember these old the old ads. They were EF Hutton ads, and they said, when EF Hutton talks, people listen. So now it's kind of like when President Trump talks, the stock markets listen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and we'll see what the reaction is today. There was some relief that there wasn't going to be at the end of this week a fifty percent tariff on the EU, but the threat is still out there. The President has said that this is a pause until July ninth, so negotiations can take place. But you know, we've heard this booker from the President before, where there's a significant tariff that threatens and then you know, in some amount of time he backs off of it to talk about negotiations. And this one was a forty eight hour threat. So it was kind of like, oh, we're getting threats, blink, and you missed it because it was a holiday weekend. But we'll see that what the Wall Street reaction is today, and we'll also see where the negotiations go.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Between here and July ninth, the president's trade representative was meeting with his European counterpart on the phone, yesterday. The Commerce Secretary also had a conversation. The President spoke with the EU Commission leader Ursul Evanderland on Sunday, and that's what prompted the delay until July ninth. So the President was also out last week if there was anything the E could do to avoid these tariffs, and he said, I don't know. We're going to see what happens. So you know, stay tuned for what this will look like now in terms of negotiations and how hard ball the president plays in the coming weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Karen, when he did that forty eight hour panic button, that was because I believe and correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't he say we're going to put the tariffs on because negotiations aren't going anywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, you know, and it was to spark a progress in the negotiations and our shore Vanderlaine had said that Europe is ready now to advance talk swiftly and decisively. The President said, we'll rapidly get together and see if we can work things out. So, you know, you light a fire by threatening such a sweeping tariff like that, and maybe the conversations can move forward. But you know, remember too, we're also in this ninety day pause at this point. On the other big round of terrifts, the President had announced early April, then a week later had put on pause so they can negotiate trade deals. Besides the UK, there hasn't been an announcement at this point of another trade deal. There was talk about progress with one with India, maybe South Korea, Japan or Vietnam, but we haven't heard that yet and we'll about halfway through that ninety day period.
Speaker 5: I swear I need a flow chart to keep track of all of this stuff. ABC's Karen Travis, you have many documents that you do.
Speaker 4: ABC's Karen Travers. Thanks so much for the update. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Have a great day, all right, you too. Yeah, my head is just spinning on the what's on, what's off?
Speaker 4: How much? How what's pausing? Wait, that's paused, But we're still going to do this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would imagine people with much bigger brains are keeping track of this. Speaking of people with bigger brains, let's check in with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 5: Get in your business now, Courtney.
Speaker 4: We were just talking about the tariffs and how the President saying, hey, we're putting a pause on those until July. Is is promising to start the stock market out in a positive light this morning, Yes, no doubt about it.
Speaker 7: Anytime that there's any sort of we're going to delay things, we're going to move it forward or it's not going to happen, and we end up seeing the markets higher. Good morning, by the way, Happy Tuesday. So traders are back in the office today and we're seeing things popping higher. Looking at the Dow right now, it's up five hundred and four points. But it was a much different story on Friday because the major benchmarks saw major losses because Wall Street was rattled by threats to impose aggressive tariffs on Apple and also.
Speaker 5: The European Union.
Speaker 7: But it seems the European Union is now back at the table accelerating these trade talks too.
Speaker 5: The Dow fell two hundred and fifty six points the other day.
Speaker 4: I'm okady and so Trump backed off his trade tariffs against the EU. But has he said anything more about the Apple tariffs.
Speaker 7: No, and Apple's been undergoing some significant issues of late. It actually was reported that he used to be Tim Cook used to be one of President Trump's favorites but President Trump asked a bunch of CEOs and said, hey.
Speaker 5: Do you want to come with me on my trip to the Middle East? And he said no. So it ends up being a little bit of a hit lately.
Speaker 7: And I mean, we have this demand, they want, this demand for Apple to make iPhones in the US, but it's going to be quite difficult for them. I mean, some estimates have it that it's going to cost about thirty five hundred dollars of an iPhone, is right, because labor are.
Speaker 4: Like a minimum of thirty dollars no hour probably to make it in the US where across the you know wherever it's being made now mainly in China, right yet, but it's a dollar.
Speaker 5: Too, yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And also they say they don't have the engineering know how here in the United States compared to their So there's that's a big difference. So the demand and this real big challenge to the company and the supply chain has been concentrated in China for years and to be able to move a supply chain in any sort of way for any sort of company is going to be quite difficult because they have the suppliers, they have the manufacturing, they have the engineering, know how they are not as much here.
Speaker 4: Tariffs are hitting another retailer. We were talking about tariffs earlier, but this time it's Claire's.
Speaker 7: Yes, the tween accessory store that my daughter absolutely loves. So they're consulting with some financial advisors on way to shore up their finances. The mall staple is confronting higher import costs. Obviously the deteriorating outlook for consumer spending. People are a little more worried holding onto their wallets. But the company heavily depends on China to source its merchandise, and it's merchandise not so expensive so tweens can afford it. But Claire's has more than twenty seven hundred locations across seventeen countries, and I haven't stepped foot in one in about twelve years, well except for my st Okay and really Quick. McDonald's is calling it a rap on its new beverage.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well it's a beverage brand and it's called Cosmics, and it opened up in a bunch of locations, not many, but they wanted this experimental spinoff two years ago to compete with the soda chain Swig. Many people have seen this. They're not as popular on the East Coast, but you see it on Real Housewives.
Speaker 5: I've never seen Salt Lake City.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's this dirty soda trend where people take soda and then they add milk.
Speaker 5: To it or different syrups. It's a little it seems a little much. I don't know. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 7: But this chain had specialty lemonades and teas, blended beverages, iced coffees.
Speaker 5: Was the store so thetaurant front.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was a store about and they only had a couple of them, not many of them, because they wanted to see if this pilot would take off. But now they say they're going to take lessons from cosmics this brand and then applied to their own restaurant. So try to bring these specialized coffees into McDonald's. Okay, So wasn't so successful. I don't think we're missing much on that one. At thirty so doesnomic think?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney don Hojo as we do every day, and we'll talk to you again tomorrow at five point forty. Definitely see you later, all right, Thanks Cortney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The city of La has fallen well short of state mandated housing goals, and new report shows there were seventeen thousand housing units built in twenty twenty four. That's just thirty percent of what state regulators are requiring. State law requires LA to build four hundred and fifty six thousand new housing units each year between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty nine. Roughly one hundred eighty five thousand of those must be affordable housing units. A person's been hurt in a car to car shooting and Compton. The driver was on the seven ten freeway yesterday afternoon when he was reportedly hitting the leg. LA Kenny Sheriff's deputy say the man got off off the freeway and pulled into a gas station at a laundro Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue to ask for help.
Speaker 5: He was taken to the hospital. No word on why shots might have been fired.
Speaker 4: The Assemblies passed a bill making it illegal for state lawmakers to sign non disclosure agreements when handling taxpayer money or creating laws.
Speaker 8: The bill prevents lawmakers from keeping information secret, with penalties potentially including misdemeanors or felonies enforced by local district attorneys.
Speaker 5: The bill will now be considered by the state Senate.
Speaker 4: Dinacodiac kf I news A dozen illegal immigrants have been picked up in Long Beach after getting a ride up from Mexico on a pleasure boat. The group was arrested early yesterday morning. Customs and Border Patrol officials say they spotted the group traveling up the coast from Mexico to Long Beach, all twelve our Mexican citizens. A series of small earthquakes has rumbled off the coast of northern California. The US Geological Services A four point one magnitude quake hit at one seventeen a m. Yesterday, with the largest of the quakes a four point five or a few seconds later. At least four more quakes rattled the area through the early morning. W NBA superstar Caitlin Clark is going to be out of action for at least two weeks. The Indiana Fever says she has a left quad strain. This will be the first time Clark has been out of action since starting her w NBA career. She played every game in her rookie season last year. Let's say good morning now to the host of How to Money on KFI every Sunday. It's Joel Larsgard.
Speaker 14: Morning, Joel, Morning Amy.
Speaker 4: We have been talking about the Big Beautiful Bill that includes no taxes on tips, and so we wanted to dig into that a little bit and find out one if you think that's a good idea, and then talk about tipping in general, because it's really well, it ticks me off.
Speaker 14: Yeah, the Big Beautiful Bill, there's still like, you know, how's it going to shake out, And there's a lot of stuff in it to kind of parse through, and it's going to impact all of our personal finances based on you know, how things actually shake out in the end. And the note tax on tips is one of the most interesting things to me. And it was a proposal that seemed like it was kind of a by the seat of the pants, you know, spur of the moment sort of thought from President Trump on the when he was campaigning. And then you remember, if if you remember correctly, the Kamala Harris campaign said yeah, they're like, yeah, we think it is a great idea too. So it's like a political as a political tool, it makes sense, right, you're catering to a certain voter class. As a actual policy being implemented, I think there's a whole bunch of opportunity to really like swing and miss, and so I don't love the idea of saying, hey, this is a particular way you earn your income, and because of that, we're going to we're not going to make you pay taxes on this particular kind of income. Same think about somebody who's like a landscaper or something like that, and maybe they earn a similar amount of money per hour or but their income is going to be taxed at regular ordinary income tax rates, unlike somebody who's let's say, working in the service industry. And so I think it will incentivize people to consider different jobs. And I think it will also incentivize different businesses to maybe pay their employees less and try to rely on tips more and talk about, hey, this is actually going to help your tax bill in the end. It's also interesting because a lot of the people in some of these industries who rely on tips in a lot of ways, well, they're not paying much in taxes on those tips anyway.
Speaker 5: So I get because because they're cash, so they're not claiming them.
Speaker 14: All well that and also because they don't make enough money maybe over the standard deduction to say that there's a meaningful tax levied against the income that they're making from tips. And of course cash tips are supposed to be reported to the IRS, but we all know that doesn't happen all the time.
Speaker 4: And then with the servers, they're traditionally not paid very well, like have really low base salaries, right, you rely on the tips, whereas a gardener may have a higher hourly rate but not get the tips.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 14: And but the thing is, at the end of the day, their income could be roughly the same and one person pays less tax because of just the classification of their income. The other thing I think this is going to do, and we've seen you alluded to this at the very beginning. People are already kind of frustrated with tipping culture in the United States. And I'm not I'm not like a Europhile or anything like that. I don't want I don't want to necessarily turn into Europe. But that's one of my favorite things about about Europe is that the servers and workers in restaurants and they get paid just a regular wage that they agree to work for and then tips are off the table. And I like that just as a as a consumer, as a customer, and I think more this is actually going to incentivize tipping culture to go off the rails even more, and so I think there's just a hole. It reminds me of even just with the tariffs, And I'm saying, well, with tariffs, this is going to incentivize, like on the hardware and on the goods, we're going to pay a tariff on that stuff. Well what if instead companies can get you to pay a subscription and charge you less for the actual device ahead of time, and so we're already in this amped up subscription economy. Well, tariffs are going to increase that the same thing is true, I think of no taxes on tips. If this goes through in the final big beautiful Bill as it's being called, then it's only going to incentivize tipping culture to tilt heavier in that direction, and we as consumers are going to be even more frustrated. Well, when are we supposed to tip?
Speaker 3: How do we know?
Speaker 14: And is the company like pulling a fast one on me? Increasing like you know, higher suggested tip amounts and I'm actually paying less for the good because I'm tipping more. It's going to just make things even more difficult, I think for consumers to parse, and.
Speaker 4: I will tell you in Europe it is frustrating because Americans are used to tipping and they're like, yeah, you don't have to, but there is sort of this should we and there when we were googling it because we were just over in Paris in London and they were like, well, if you want tip, you know, like a pound or two in London is good.
Speaker 5: We're like, on how much of a bill you know, like you really don't know.
Speaker 4: It's very It's turned into a very ambiguous thing, even though tipping isn't necessarily expected, whereas here it's absolutely expected.
Speaker 5: And I think that the tipping rate is getting a little out of control.
Speaker 14: Well I was I was ordering a pizza the other night and I ordered it and I was gonna go pick it up, no delivery or anything, and there was a suggested twenty or twenty five percent tip, and I'm like, this is this was not what it used to be. Like Like when I'm more than okay to tip my server twenty twenty five percent, when I'm going on to eat and they're waiting with you to get service right, but then when you order it the counter and then you come pick up your stuff, or you order something and you go pick it up yourself. The fact that there are these really high suggested tips, this is just this just blurs the lines even more. And I think you as a consumer, as an individual, need to have an idea of what you're willing to tip and what you're willing to tip. For If I go out and get a coffee and they handcraft it for me, I'm willing to tip a buck or a beer saying like that. But you just have to kind of know ahead of time, Hey, how much am I going to tip on this pizza where I'm paying a lot for the pizza and then I'm not necessarily tipping somewhere they're not serving me.
Speaker 3: So do I tip?
Speaker 14: How much?
Speaker 3: Do I tip?
Speaker 14: And I think you have to have an idea ahead of time what you're willing to tip so you don't feel guilted into tipping more than you expected in the moment.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that really ticks me off about it.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you feel about it, but that they show you the screen, and they know that it's a tipping screen. And if you go to custom and do a zero and even some of them go and here's the place to leave a tip. I'm like, how dare you say that to me? I mean, it's just infuriating. It's the world doesn't do anything for me at all, except like, well, like a Dodger statum, and I love Dodger statium. But when they open a beer can for me and then they say, here, do you want to do an eighteen percent tip?
Speaker 14: I'm like, no, right on the on the fourteen dollars beer, now eighteen dollar beer?
Speaker 3: Oh hateen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, I underestimated, don't get me started. Joel Lard's Guard. We ran out of time.
Speaker 4: We didn't get to talk about renting instead of buying for millionaires. Maybe we can that un till next week.
Speaker 3: That sounds good, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Joel Larsguard. You can hear him every Sunday noon to two right here on KFI. The show is called how to Money, and you can follow him for great financial advice at how to Money. Joel, Thanks Joel, Thanks, Amy ran out of time. You know what, remember how Neil Savager got all bent out of shape? Yesterday when we were talking about bringing meat up to room temperature.
Speaker 5: Oh well that's okay. Well you were here we.
Speaker 4: Were talking about that, and and Neil got all hot under the collar. And that's how I am on tipping. I'm so over tipping. And I don't mind tipping for good service.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm like, you know, hey, thank you for that great service. But the expectation is what kind of chaps me and those screens And there's screens more than anything else. Ye don't get me started. Okay, Thank goodness, the show is over right.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Live. I'm the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.