Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. On election Tuesday, Dick Gibrie with you. I hope you got a chance to get out and vote. Yeah, the wife and I got up early and went and voted. Line wasn't too bad, although I got to think the folks we both work from home, folks who do not voted got up earlier and got out, so we got it done. And then we went to waffle House. That's right, chicken biscuit and grits. Thank you very much. Hey, best chicken biscuit in town. It's known for waffles, obviously, good pancakes, all that stuff. Try if you're a chicken biscuit person. And here's why I like it. It's not breaded. If you want to break from breaded chicken biscuits, this is the place to go. Waffle House. Yeah, they grilled the biscuit too. I'm telling you you'll thank me later. Just know that you'll thank me later. But basketball season opens last night in reality for the Wildcats and their fans, and two good performances, one at five o'clock, one at seven o'clock. The women and then the member. Why did they plan the same night? We'll talk about that here in just a minute. But Mark Pope got his era underway with a forty one point win over Wright State. You were either there, you heard it on the radio, you saw it on TV. It was never in doubt. Remember how the game opened the exhibition game with Kentucky missing so many shots. Didn't happen last night? And then the Cats just keep rolling, going to win by forty one, which is Mark Pope's, if not one of his favorite number because that was his uniform number when he was a Kentucky Wildcat.
Speaker 2: I like the forty one, guys, I'm not gonna lie at a very personal level. I love the fact that these kids are so special man. You know what, Listen, any coach would be really, really blessed to coach this group of guys. And the fact that they're not only aware enough and skilled enough to make sure that.
Speaker 3: The finishes of forty one point win is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you like best about what you saw today?
Speaker 3: So I love the.
Speaker 2: Start of the game. You guys have fun at the beginning of the game.
Speaker 1: Yes they did, because the Cats came out, went on a tear and like I said, hardly ever stopped. I'm sure there were some lulls, but yeah, I mean it was. It was a great performance, an entertaining performance. Great, well that's a relative term. But it was fun, wasn't it. Everybody got in Otaga Oway played the most minutes twenty seven and that's basically I'm not saying this guy's as good as Antoine Walker, but that's basically what Antoine Walker averaged when Pope and his buddies won the national title. Again, this team is not as good and it's not as deep, but you may see Mark Pope use a lot of different players. Oh way, to me has been the most surprising. I don't know why. Maybe I just expected more from other guys. Always as sophomore twenty one point, he was eight of nine inside outside, three for three from the arc, three rebounds, three steals. He's got a great floor game. But really, you could say that about all the Wildcats. Thirty assists on thirty nine made baskets phenomenal. Pope talked about that as well. Eleven to twenty four from beyond the arc. Yeah, they shot a lot of threes and Amari Williams with a double double. He had twelve points, thirteen rebounds, nine of those boards at the half along with three assists, and the most impressive it was when he pulls the rebound and leads the break. Remember that one that might have been the most impressive play of the night for the UK men and an impressed Mark Pope.
Speaker 2: I would love for you all to consider this. You know, Amari is he is a massive human being, okay, and he's a good, solid two hundred and fifty pounds athletic. And you see him grab a rebound and race down the floor off the bounce to make a play. And you have this defender who's really making a decisions like am I going to really stand in here and take a charge or not?
Speaker 1: Is a beautiful dilemma.
Speaker 2: But I thought Lamari was terrific all night long, especially coming off of Injrey.
Speaker 3: We're a hand practice this.
Speaker 1: Week, comments Pope made of course to Tom Leach on the UK Sports Network. And if you want to watch the entire exchange and the player of the game interview, just go to the UK Sports Network account on Twitter and watch the whole thing at a nice little table set up there for the camera so the everybody can watch and see who's there in the arena. And then of course they have it on video and audio for you, so check UK Sports Networks feed for the Kentucky men's game post game. As for the women, Kenny Brooks era is underway and he was really impressed with the way the entire team played well. One player he singled out was one of the Clara's I mean, I mean, Clara Silver is a good player, but she's young, and he talked about her. We'll talk about her more this week. But Clara Strack a center six ' five, seven of eleven from the floor, eight of nine from the line, twenty two points six rebounds. She fouled out, but man was she good. Last night. Usc Upstate had absolutely no answers for her in a ninety six forty three rump by the Wildcats, and Kenny Brooks was asked about Strack and said she is special.
Speaker 4: She looks phenomenal in practice.
Speaker 5: She's she has days where she's just so dominant. There's days as she does things and you know, it just it wows us.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I just got to get her to stay out of foul trouble. You know, that's something she hasn't mastered. But we're gonna need her to be on the court. But she's a very confident young lady, and the sky's a limit for her. And I promise you Kentucky fans are gonna be excited for the next three years watching her.
Speaker 1: And what was funny was Georgia Amore came in with him as well, was sitting right next to Kenny Brooks, and every time he'd say something grand about Strack, she would grin and nod her head like yep, yep. I asked Georgia about communication on court. She's the point guard who transferred from Virginia Tech, and quite frankly, when the work got out that she had transferred to how good she is. Suddenly the rest of the women's college basketball world began to really take notice. They were taking notice, of course, because Kenny Brooks is well respected, but when the work got out that Georgia Amore was coming with him, well, now much more respect. So I asked her what it was like as the floor general trying to communicate with her teammates.
Speaker 6: I mean, first half maybe was like a two out of ten, and then we placed a little. Yeah, we weren't really communicating well at all. And as you said, you mentioned the defensive breakdowns and stuff like that. That was alfhaul and obviously you know, as you said, like schematics and we have to learn, but we can fix a lot about mistakes with talking. But come second half, I think our energy picked up in communication all round, definitely improved. But it's been a point of emphasis for a while now in our practice is just getting to communicate and just being decisive with it.
Speaker 1: Really two out of ten that kind of surprised me. And no, she is not from around here. She is from Australia, one of a handful of international players on this team. And I mentioned Clara Silver, she's from Portugal. We'll talk about her later on in the week. But I did want to get to another point five o'clock seven o'clock, basically double header in two different places, and I just assumed it was because of the SEC network one ding to get that on on this day and didn't want to go against the men. Brooks said they were having a lot of trouble just scheduling games because of the late arrival of the coaching staff and the fact that, believe it or not, as poorly as Kentucky performed last year, word got out about Kenny Brooks the team he was building, and he had a hard time getting opponents to come.
Speaker 5: In no offense to anything that happened before us, but this is a direct quote.
Speaker 4: We wanted to play the old Kentucky, not the new Kentucky.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Oh, we'll wait. Oh we didn't.
Speaker 5: Expect this, you know, And no disrespect to anybody else, but that's just what we were, you know, up against. So you know, Jason was gracious and to play us. It's the only game we could find. And you know, we don't want to go up against the men. I know that this twenty four thousand, you know, our fans, you know, trying to split and go different places.
Speaker 4: But we had no choice to do this.
Speaker 5: But I think, you know, everyone did a good job, a great job marketing and whatnot splitting it. I think we had to fight to get the game at five, you know, because we wanted people to have that opportunity to do both.
Speaker 4: We didn't want them to have to say either.
Speaker 1: Or Jason he was talking about was Jason Williams, the head coach of USC Upstate. They're in the Big South. Totally over man, totally overwhelmed, just couldn't handle this of the athleticism of the Wildcat They're gonna be okay. They got some good inside players are strong, just not good enough to play against SEC caliber. But how about that. Teams said, now we want to play the old Kentucky. We knew we could beat that old team. But now with Kenny Brooks coaching at Kentucky, things are different. There's a new sheriff in town, so we'll see how that goes. Next. Up for the women Northern Kentucky. That's at six o'clock on Thursday. They got that night aut of themselves. The game you'll hear right here on six thirty WLAP at five forty five with thearreon Hendrick and the men play again on Saturday and they take on Buck. Now that's a four o'clock start, so our coverage will begin at two point thirty on the network with Tom Leach and Jack Gibbons and the Gang. So first two games for the respective eras are in the book and both coaches are successful. They're both undefeated four. Now up next, we'll take a look around college football and some pro football as well. Could be controversy brewing, and at the middle of it, Tom Brady, that's right, the Golden Boy. Bottom of the hour. We'll hear from some members of the nineteen eighty four Kentucky team. I've been saving these interviews for a little while. They were in town and recognized that a game recently. It's a fortieth anniversary of their Bowl victory season back in nineteen eighty four, and I had a chance to talk to some of these guys at a little gathering, so we'll share that with you. Coming up in amur number two also a huge college football upset you may not have heard about. Back in a minute on the Big Blue Sider six thirty WAP Welcome back. Coming up in just a few minutes, we're going to hear from members of the nineteen eighty four Kentucky football team, which is celebrating it's fortieth anniversary this season. I introduced at a recent game, got a chance to talk to some of those guys, guys I didn't know very well because I wasn't here they were having their most fun. I was working in Texas the two years they went the ball game. So anyhow, we got those comments coming up at the bottom of the hour, and then of course at the top of the hour ABC News election coverage. I did want to talk about a few things that had popped up over the weekend didn't have a chance. Of course. Last night. One of them was a comment made by Tim Tebow essentially about faking injuries in football games. And the only reason this caught my eye was, of course, because of what happened in the Kentucky Tennessee game where a number of the Wildcats went down. You know what, Tennessee players got hurt as well. Nobody boot about that, of course, but you see this when you have uptempo team. Same thing happened at Ole Miss which likes to get up and down the field anytime there's an injury, people think the player's faking. And trust me, that has gone on. Kentucky has done that in the past. I've seen it. Let's face it, everybody has done it. The league is kind of cracking down on it, and they've given officials the leeway to flag somebody if they think he's faking an injury. I have not heard it or seen it happen, but Greg Sank, the commissioner, mentioned it earlier this season. We got to do away with this stuff. But I can tell you I told somebody this, I think yesterday when it came to covering injuries at a UK football game. I don't think I was busier this year than I was Saturday night. There were so many injuries. For whatever, they were playing hard, they were going fast. I don't know what the deal was, but thankfully Susan Lax, who's in charge of UK football publicity, was on the sideline. Generally she delegates that job, but she did it herself, and she worked her tail off trying to get information for us about injuries. Barry and Brown goes down, Brock Vandergriff goes to the locker room. Two or three players had to go to the locker room. But what I want to say is every time a player went down, and of course the fans booed, some chant it he's not hurt. They were because they came off the field, got medical attention and were out for several plays each guy. Some didn't come back. Vandergriff didn't come back. Brown tried at halftime. I saw him on the field catching passes, trying to run. Couldn't do it because of those bruised ribs, so you know, and he had had a cat scan for crying out loud. So when Tebow talked about this, I saw it listed on a feed. I thought, I wonder is he talking about But he wasn't because the comments came during game day, prior to the Georgia Florida game, which was played, as you know, prior to the UK Tennessee game. But he may as well have been talking to the UK fans, the Tennessee fan, really to all the fans about faking injuries, and Tebow referenced another sport which is famous, or should I say infamous for players not only faking injuries but doing it in such a way that they should be nominated for Academy Awards, and that's soccer.
Speaker 7: I'm a soccer fan. I love that we're bringing teams here to Jacksonville. I think soccer is a great sport, but we don't want to turn football into soccer. Okay, there is a difference, and I don't think that we should just be tapped. Oh my gosh, I'm going to go fall down. No, no, no, that works in another sport and it's the biggest sport in the world. But we're celebrating college football right now. In college football is different game than soccer. Both are amazing. Let's keep football as football and let's not do that.
Speaker 1: I've done some UK soccer games on the streaming channel, both men and women. You don't see that, at least I haven't seen it. In college soccer. You see injuries, but you don't see somebody throwing himself to the ground or herself to the ground like they've been shot. You see that. The only time I've seen it, of course, is in the big international matches, and of course those video clips make it to the feed almost instantly. But Tebow was talking about if he had a game in mind specifically, he didn't say, but he was not talking specifically about UK Tennessee. But I do agree with him, just do it, and I hope they start flagging people. But how do you approve it? You know, a guy could come off the field and stay out for a while and come back. But maybe he stays out just to keep the referee from throwing a flag. Who knows. But yeah, it was getting bad, and that's it's because of the uptempo styles played by a lot of different teams. Shifting over to the National Football League Super Bowl what is it? Sixty nine? Fifty nine is still three months away, but they're already setting records for ads sales now Fox has it this year, and Sports Business Journal quoted the Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch as saying that the network is completely already sold out of ad inventory for the Big Game at what they think is record pricing. It's nearly it's seven million per thirty second spot, and seven million was what roughly advertisers paid for the Super Bowl last year when they waited until the last minute to get on the game between the Chiefs and the Niners. CEBs averaged about six point forty seven million per thirty second ad unit in the Super Bowl. That was eleven percent up from the year before, and Fox earned nearly six hundred million for the Super Bowl broadcast in twenty twenty three. Back in twenty oh eight super Bowl forty two, if I've got my Roman numerals right, average three million. By twenty twenty was up to five and a half million per for thirty seconds. Is it worth it? Well, it must be. If the bean counters at these sponsors or at the agencies that handle the sponsors keep doing the buys and viewership just skyrockets for that game. That is why when John Skipper, the former head of ESPN, said that someday and probably my words. Someday soon that's relative. The Super Bowl will be pay per view, and you know what, there are going to be people who stomp around and storm around and say, I'll never watch it again, or hon there's no way I'm buying it. They will, Oh, there'll be a part of it somehow. People who love the NFL will not miss the Super Bowl. They'll watch it somehow. They might go to somebody else's house, to a restaurant, to a bar. They'll watch it. And the people who run it, they'll get their money. They will get their money, Mark my words. They're not stupid. How do we know this. Look what they're making on ads sales right now. But we don't have to worry about that right now. And if you're not buying advertising, just sit back and enjoy it. Some people only watch the game for the ads. That's okay too. They keep raising the bar higher, don't they, But that's good for us.
Speaker 8: Me.
Speaker 1: I watched the game live. I don't pay much attention to the spots, go back and watch them later because they're always out there on some of the websites. One other note about the NFL. Tom Brady made a comment I saw it and well, listen for yourself. This is the game with the Packers and the Lions. And there was an injection in the game. One of the Lions defensive backs was in on a tackle of a Green Bay wide receiver. Looked like he led with his helmet. I don't know that it was targeting or not. Maybe technically he was. But suddenly he was thrown out of the game. And Kevin Burkhart waited and this is the lead team now on Fox. This was the Fox Big Game of the afternoon. Kevin Burkhardt explain what happened, and Brady weighed in on it. And by the way, before he commented, they brought in Dean Blandino, who simply explained it because the call came kind of late. It was probably decided by league officials in New York. That's when Brady came up with his comment.
Speaker 9: So they just threw out Brian Branch who's one of their best defensive players, and that came from New York.
Speaker 4: Wow. I don't love that call at all.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously it's a penalty, but to me, that has to be serious intent in a game like.
Speaker 2: This because we're thirty two.
Speaker 1: I mean, this happens first.
Speaker 3: Time every day.
Speaker 1: So get Brady credit for being open and honest with his opinion. I mean, that's what they want, except Brady is working under a number of rules and regulations because now he's a part owner of the Raiders. And remember, if you know anything about that story, Brady, because of his minority ownership in an NFL team, is prohibited from criticizing officiating or other teams. It wasn't exactly inflammatory, but the question is out there will he be quote unquote disciplined and by that you know, not going to find him or sit him down, but maybe they'll talk to him and remind him. But I don't see how this is going to work. Quite frankly, I don't see how Fox is going to put up with it. If you got shackles like that on any announcer, it's not good for the viewers because I know if I were watching it, I don't want to know what the analyst had to say. You got, you played the game, What do you think about that rule? What did it look like to you? That's why they're there, and stop that on your lead analyst. It can't be good and it's not going to work, So stay tuned on that, as we say in the TV business. Up next the guys who won a bunch of games back in eighty four, two years after they didn't win any later from them ex Wildcats and a huge upset in college football. You may have missed it over the weekend. We'll share that with you as well here on the Big boone Sider six thirty back of the Big bon Sider, Dick Gabrielle with you. I wanted to get back to an evening where guys from the eighty four Kentucky football team got together for a reunion their fortieth That was the team that two years prior, on their first year head coach Jerry klavern first year at Kentucky, they went winless. A lot of them just didn't like claybur and they chased, they boughked, They didn't want to do what football the way he wanted it done. Guys had come in under Frank Kersey. But the following year they won six games, which was either first or second all time in turnarounds, and then a year later they won a total and by the way, that six win team went to the Hall of Fame Bowl lost to West Virginia. The following year, they go back to the Hall of Fame Bowl and they beat Wisconsin, a good Wisconsin team, by one point. Joey Whorley had the game winning field goal and rang up their ninth win. That was the best season Klayburn ever had. He kind of sank into mediocrity after that because a lot of Kersey's recruits were gone quite frankly. But this team, in particular, they've got a lot of fond memories because they roughed it under Clayburn. He was much tougher on them than Frank Kersey was. But from the sounds of it, the guys I talked to they had if I'm sure everybody has regrets, but not many because they were very successful. One of the guys I talked to was Paul Calhoun, who if you follow Kentucky football, you know by now he's almost a legend. He would balk at that, but he was a punter and a free safety, All Conference first team as a senior and in both punting and as a d back, and a third team All American. And here's the guy who averaged thirty two punts yards per point as a freshman and forty two and then forty three then forty four. His career averages second only to Glenn pac Alax, but made plays as a safety with interceptions as still the school record for longest punt eighty yards against Indiana, also a fake punt for a touchdown against Indiana, and a couple of other fake punts. As I understand it, See, I wasn't here. I was working in Dallas, Texas for Jim Host with the old Southwest Conference Network. So I had to go back to the record books and study up on these seasons that I missed eighty three and eighty four and a lot of these players, and Kyle Houn was one of them, but had a chance to finally, I had never interviewed the guy, but caught up with them at the reception rough year a couple of years prior year win list. Then the next thing you know, you're a five hundred record. Now you're going to bowl games.
Speaker 10: What was it like to be a part of that turnaround?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 9: I think that was the greatest thing of all because back then, I think only thirty six teams or forty teen, some very small number of teams went to bowl games back then. And yes, when we came here under Frank Cursey was our first year and I think we were three and eight. Second year we were O ten and one with the first year Jerry Clavern, and then we came back yeah, six four and one, which I think at the time was maybe the second the biggest turnaround, first biggest turnaround in college football. And then didn't follow it up to follow you at nine and.
Speaker 3: Three, and that was awesome.
Speaker 9: That was awesome because you feel like you made the right choice in the school that you came to and.
Speaker 1: You're a local, you're a Kentucky kid. That was big for you.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, Yes, grew up in Louisville, was born and raised in Louisville. Was David Bishop David High School. Yes, still in Louisville. So, which was one of the big recruiting things that Frank Cursey had when he was here. It was like, you know where you plan on living when you're done with the school, and all you know, you're going to stay here in Kentucky. And so that was that was that was a good move to come here.
Speaker 10: Fran and Jerry Clayburn could not have been more different.
Speaker 1: I don't mean just playing style either, What was that like I know, ten and one, some of that was guys chafing a little bit, pushing back.
Speaker 10: But what was it like when everybody finally bought in.
Speaker 1: You started winning.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's it's hard to say because, like you said, they were so different, it was unbelievable different. I don't even know if I could tell the stories.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 11: I've heard them, just cold, two.
Speaker 3: Completely different styles.
Speaker 9: The type of athlete that was here under Frank Kersey versus the type of athlete under Jerry Clayburn.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know without saying, well, winning health.
Speaker 9: Winning definitely helps. And it was you know when when we were losing it, we were O ten and one, you know, when the fans was kind of all that, you know, which all the players, you know, everybody's trying, you know, and and and people were getting on everyone.
Speaker 1: A lot of those games.
Speaker 3: I did playing a lot of those games.
Speaker 1: I mean as a team.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yes, yes, but we just we just wasn't winning.
Speaker 9: And I think there was an article back then or whatever somebody asked me about losing whatever. I said, We're not losing, We're just not winning, you know, because everybody's trying, everybody's giving it one hundred percent or whatever, but we just couldn't get over the hump to get it done. And you know, like you said, you know, we just took time to buy into the new play born because it was it was completely different.
Speaker 10: If I'll let you go with this, because it's the party.
Speaker 1: But uh, Pacoro is always telling me about the fake punt and plays you made. Uh do you think about that much?
Speaker 10: How much did people bringing up like IDEs did?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think about it from time to time.
Speaker 9: I got two son in laws or whatever, and one of them he'll bring it up on YouTube.
Speaker 3: You know, all these things when things.
Speaker 9: You did back in the day or whatever, and all that stuff, so that that always stays fresh in mind. So it's always good to see. The older you get, the more you appreciate things, you know, and so it's it's good to see that. Yeah, always good to reminisce about the old time.
Speaker 1: Paul is in the holy Cross High School Hall of Fame in Louisville, and the Holy Cross is what used to be a couple of schools Bishop David and one of them I might have been presentation. They merged and became holy Cross. Paul was a really great player for BD and now is in the Holy Cross Hall of Fame as well. Also talk to Christian Alt Finally in the UK Hall of Fame. Freddie Maggard for the longest time, So this guy needs to be in the Hall of Fame. Former UK linebacker and he was one of the all time best. You guys accomplished quite a bit when not allowed to expect. You get a winless team. Then the next thing you know, you're setting a record for wins and you're winning a bowl game. What was it like being part of that turnaround?
Speaker 8: Well, it was my firshman year, so I remember being in high school center. Oh they won one game. I'm not going there, but you know, but once you take your visits and the main thing that so me and this means sounds silly, is Lexington when you come in and you look down from a plane and you realize what you got here compared these other big cities with the homeless people and all like that. My old can take it home. They said it right, you.
Speaker 1: Made a lot of tackles. You got your just due finally. But how good was that that Hall of Fame bull team that won you I guess your freshman year. It was great.
Speaker 8: You, Like we said, I went into the Hall and that was one of my greatest moments. But that win overdue, overdue, But that win against Wisconsin, I think they had our tune. I mean that that game was like it was epic because Joe Royally, which I haven't seen yet, kicker kicker and came in and kicked that. And it's like Christmas Day when you get that first bite, y'all remember what that at first bite? Oh, you couldn't wait till you run around. I mean, I think I still got my luggage from it.
Speaker 3: The boat.
Speaker 8: I mean, everything's at You can't worry no more. Becaus got a little bit extra pounds on. But right now it is great.
Speaker 1: Went into the UK Hall of Fame finally in twenty twenty three, four hundred and eighty two tackles, second on the all time list. And I'm partial because he went to Henry Clay as did my kids, and became a Kentucky State trooper, as did one of my kids. Retired with full disability, injured on the job. But we still seem at Kroger Field, Ciscobrian was there. He's a football dad. His son Tie is a defensive back. For the Wildcats. You're smarter than the average family that comes to reading coverages and routes and all that. But that's your boy down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean been a high school coach for thirty some years in football and baseball. The hardest thing is I don't truly enjoy the game. I said that to somebody the other day. I said, it's real tough because I'm he's out there and I'm hoping somebody he doesn't make a mistake and somebody say something personal about my child. And that said, It's enjoyable, but it's kind of heart pumping real well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has been a difficult year for the wildcatch playing super well and then playing amazingly poorly. Any thoughts on.
Speaker 12: That, Well, it's it's it is mind bonding.
Speaker 3: I don't understand it.
Speaker 12: I mean, the babies can play, you know, to me, their babies, they can flat out play. I don't know what it is that I really truly believe this dick. They've got to fix it. I don't think it's coaching. I think they gotta fix it because it becomes players making plays. And I'm not disrespecting none of the babies. Is They gotta we've got to make some plays that we're supposed to and make something we're not supposed to do, and that's what a lot of times in the eighties we did.
Speaker 1: I also talked to the tight end, Matt Lucas, who really valued the opportunity to talk to his former teammates.
Speaker 11: It's a long time, but you never get tired of it gave you get to see the friends, the brothers that you really got to play with alongside with, and it's just really to.
Speaker 3: Be to see these guys. It's just amazing. It really really is.
Speaker 1: What year were you in school? In eighty four?
Speaker 11: That was my red shirt freshman year, sophomore year academically, but it was, gosh, how do I say this?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 11: Actually, now I'm showing my age. It's my red shirt sophomore year. Okay, so you playing me and your second year playing you came in during the windless year.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 11: I did, and glad to be red shirted that year when you really think about it, so I don't glad to be a part of it. And I think the thing that people need to remember is how Claybourne came in and you saw the changes he made that galvanized people together, and you saw how you took a team that was winless, you took some people that nobody else.
Speaker 13: Didn't want, Oh it's my lovely wife, and you took people here that quite frankly nobody else wanted but went on to have great college careers, became major contributors here, and that made a difference.
Speaker 11: I mean, people don't realize that eighty three and eighty fourteen is that was the second biggest turnaround in college football history at that time. There was a congressional decree, There was a lot of these things that came out of the legislature in Frankfort that people don't realize and just feel honored to be part of that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, reaching that goal that had to be everything for you guys, because not much was expected.
Speaker 11: Not much was expected, and it was great to have surprise a few people. And I can the galvanizing moment happened when we're on the one two yard line at Tennessee in eighty four and they have all of these guys that were these four and five star players, and the thing that made me happiest, does it? Clavering called my number right forty eight? I blocked and George Adams comes right behind me and I'm like, holy crap, we just beat Tennessee and that is phenomenal.
Speaker 1: That's former Kentucky tight end Matt Lucas. And when we come back a bag college football upset this past weekend, you're on the Big moone Siders six thirty back to the Big Bone Cider, final segment of our program. We're gonna make way for election coverage. That's right news coming up at the top of the hour because it is election Day. I hope you got a chance to get out and vote. Coming up tomorrow night, it's going to be our usual Monday night lineup with the Mark Stoop Show and then the BBN Radio and the state wide BBI. We are not yet into the overlap period where we have the Mark Stoop Show and the Mark Pope Show of the Marx Brothers and then of course BBN or BBN Radio and BBI. That's a lot, but yeah, that's not happening yet. So that's Tomorrow night for the Mark Stoop Show and then Darren and Us. So I'm gonna leave you with a little bit of excitement from the college football Saturday. A lot of folks like to discuss and debate whether or not announcers are homers. And some people believe that we like me and Jeff and Tom and everybody on the UK broadcast should be homers. Well, I came up under kvid Ledford. That's why I still don't say us and we and all that. I don't work for the university number women, number two. I'm just I just wasn't trained that way. The guys in the pregame they played football, you know, Logan and Jeremy and Christy deep down as a fan. She used to be a journalist, but she's not anymore, and that's fine. Tom is not a big WE guy. Jeff is because Jeff played, and that's that's fine. I have no problem with that. But it's you know, how you call the game can vary given your respective loyalties. I will tell you that. On SEC plus broadcasts, if it's a conference matchup, whether it's volleyball, baseball, gymnastics. Whenever I'm working on SEC Plus, if it's a conference game, I try to play it, play it as straight down the middle as I can. Because so many people watching online are fans of the visiting team, not just Kentucky. I got to think a large number of Kentucky fans are there or nearly who might be watching or at the game or at the match, but it's the people who follow that respective team when they're on the road are watching as well, and you owe it to them to be respectful and don't forget about the fact that they're there as well. We're going to tell tell the story through the prism of UK Athletics. We know the teams better, we know the coaches better. We've lived here, we've grown up here. So yeah, that's gonna be inherent. But you try. That's all you can do is try. But it's a non conference game, not so much. I mean, you respect them and give them the attention they deserve, but it's not as urgent in my mind if it's a non conference game. Still, you know some of their fans are watching. But I love it when every now and then the loyalties burst through. And that was the case in a Division two game. This was an Arkadelphia, Arkansas. It was Washida Baptist University, which was ranked number three, and the coaches pulled in Division two football playing Southern Nazarene and this was Washida's final home game of the year having a good year. They were eight and oh going into this one. The other Nazarene came in winless, so you've got eight and zero versus h to eight. Wasshida was one of six remaining unbeaten teams in Division two and they were playing their third This is actually a Thursday night game, third Thursday night game of the season, so again big favorites, but it didn't work out that way because Southern Nazarene pulled the upset. This is what it sounded like on local radio. Second and ten from the eleven, Evans out of the shotgun, rolls to his right, looks back to his left, setting up the screen.
Speaker 4: Gotta tighty and.
Speaker 13: He's got a starre touchdown Southern Gyserine.
Speaker 1: Only twenty four second sleft, and it looks.
Speaker 8: Like they are going to knock off the number three team in the country for.
Speaker 4: Their first we went up in season.
Speaker 7: Undelievable.
Speaker 1: I say local radio. That was actually the Oklahoma Local Sports Network, so that's a streaming service, but at any rate, that was a home team announcer making that call on the road with Southern Nazarene, which is in Bethany, Oklahoma, and pulled the massive upset of the third ranked team in Division two, so I thought i'd share that with you. That was a lot of fun. Every now and then you come across a call like that, and you can't blame them for being excited, because I'm assuming that that broadcast crew called every one of those eight losses finally got something to cheer about. That's going to do it. Thanks so much for joining us. Stay tuned now for election coverage coming up from ABC News. That's a good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 3: Bueller Buehler, the
Speaker 13: Man