Speaker 1: Let's get started with the fabulous award winning Minnesota Goodbye what awards? If we won, well we you know there's one that it was called the Poaddy Potty. What was it called? It was the podcast Award, remember that a couple of years ago. And then it was kind of exposed that you had to buy your nomination and if you bought a nomination for two hundred dollars, then you would likely win like an honorable mention. And I knew some people who did podcasts are like, yeah, I want to whatever it was called the potty or an addy or something like that. It wasn't a potty, but that's a funny name for it. What was it? Webbys And I think they've kind of gone out of favor because I think anything that you have to pay to nominate yourself is some bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems sus.
Speaker 1: It is totally sus. Thank you, Bailey Emails. Let's check out the emails, which is the heart of the Minnesota Goodbye. This is from Neil. Neil writes in it says, the other day Dave was talking about the Twilight Zone on your podcast, and I wanted to share this with you. I used to teach eighth grade English, we taught the radio play The Hitchhiker, which is in also an episode of the Twilight Zone TV show. The Hitchhiker is basically where a woman almost gets into a car wreck, but she doesn't. She lives and she avoids driving off a cliff or whatever. But then she's driving and this mysterious hitchhiker is trying to get her to bend. So she's like, drives past him. But then a few miles down the road there he is hitchhiking again. She drives past him. Now he's in the next town hitchhiking again, and it turns out he is death and she should have died in that car accident, so he's death. And he finally does catch a ride with her, and you know she and it's like, basically, don't fear death. I am here to gently take you to your doom.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was another Twilight Zone episode with Robert Redford, which is the only reason why I know because I love him, and he was death in that one too, but the same kind of message, don't fear death.
Speaker 2: He was just like a guy who needed some help.
Speaker 1: He's very handsome because red for it. Yeah, yeah, so they say. We'd watch the episode after reading the text for comparison, and literally none of our students had ever heard of The Twilight Zone. But after watching that episode they loved it. They would beg to watch more, and we'd usually watch The Eye of the Beholder, which blew their minds. Eye of the Beholder, I can't even tell you what the plot is without kind of one Well, basically, yeah, it's a woman and she's extremely ugly. Yeah, and she's got a a no nuss. He already blew It's I already blew it. So I'm not going to say anything more about it, okay, because I already blew it. But that's one of the best Twilight Zones. So Neil says, Dave, what are you some of your other episodes of the Twilight Zone? Love y'all? Lick Lick Dart dart lick. That's Neil in Atlanta, Jauja. So I looked up my favorites. The Odyssey of Flight thirty three is really interesting. It's about an airliner that goes back in time. That's really a good one. I've always liked that one, The one with William Shaft where he plays a mental patient flying home from the looney bin, and he looks out the window and there's a grimlin on the wing of the airplane. Oh, and it's trying to tear apart the engine and he's like, oh my god. And he tells the flight attendant the captain there's a man on the wing and he's trying to kill us, and they're like, yeah, sure, okay, okay. And there's one really good part where it shows you what a great actor William Shatner was, and they're pretend they're humoring him. They go he's like, look, there's a grimlin on the wing and the captain goes, yeah, I see it too, and William Shatner is so relieved that somebody finally believes him. But then his expression changes to you're just humoring me. So it goes from good you believe me to oh shit, oh you're making fun of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So good. That one's called that Nightmare twenty thousand feet give you another one one of my favorite ones. And When the Sky Was Opened it's about as or not that come back from a mission? Or do they? And When the Sky Was Open? And then last one it is called Living Doll, and it is about a girl that does not like her stepdad and she gets a doll that has a mind of its own. And the doll's name is Talkie Tina, and Tina says, my name's Talkie Tina, and I'm going to kill you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, terrifying, and.
Speaker 1: Because the dad's an asshole. So anyway, there are some Twilight Zone episodes to watch the greatest TV show of all time.
Speaker 3: The one where everything was was really hot and they had to decide whether or not they were going to leave because the temperature kept going up.
Speaker 2: And I remember that one. We talked about that one a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like her son was getting closer to the earth or something, and so everything got really really really hot and they had to figure out what to do.
Speaker 3: That one, and the one where they had found a camera, like these criminals found a camera and they would take pictures and it would show the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many good ones are you don't want you've never watched the Twilight.
Speaker 4: Zone whatever, they never watched it. I'm I'm impressed though about how many you so specifically remember and even like titles to them. That is very impressive to me.
Speaker 1: There's one My favorite episode of all time is not probably like the you know, the most favorite. It's called Walking Distance, and it's a guy who's like a harried, stressed out, thirty six year old businessman and he hates his life and he hates his job. So he goes for a drive out in the country and his car breaks down outside of his old hometown when he was when where he grew up. So while his car's getting fixed, he decides to walk into town and he's thirty six and everything there is just like it was when he was a kid.
Speaker 2: Every reason I remember this one too.
Speaker 1: And he runs into himself as a little boy, and he wants to tell the little boy, you know, enjoy this life while it lasts, because it life sucks when you get older. And there's such a cool twist to it. It's called walking Distance, yes, and it is definitely something about you know, you get to a certain age and you long so much for the simple days of when you were a kid. And the lesson at the end is so powerful. And I'll go ahead and share it with you o case you don't watch it, because he's like, you know, he's basically realizes that in his shitty life as an adult, he misses all the parades and merry go rounds and concerts and carnivals when he was a kid. But he runs into his dad, and his dad says, you need to look for all the joy in your current life. So yes, you look nostalgically back at all the joy you had, but look for the joy in your life as an adult. And I thought that was really true instead of longing for the past. Okay, done talking about Twilight Zone.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Curious about something. I've been listening to your show since the nineties. I listened on my driving to work three days a week, plus the Minnesota Goodbye and podcast the Days I missed. Love that you added vont and Bailey on the show too. I'm curious when ads come on that I can't stand, like the annoying voices in the plumbing company, Oh Brad, So yeah, you need to call this plumbing company Brada, which I think is genius because if they just made it an ordinary voice, nobody would remember it. Or the big pharma push on vaccines and weight loss injections, et cetera. I turn the station on your radio off to make a point. Can you even see at a micro level when listeners tune out? Do these companies or the radio station even know these company commercials actually tune people out versus help their business. Anyway, it makes me feel better to tune out for a few minutes that I was curious if it even mattered. M Yes and no. I mean if there are forty thousand people listening on the iheartstream and you turn it off, it'll register there's now thirty nine, nine and ninety nine. But does it matter. No, But it's a good protest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm here for it. Go for it.
Speaker 3: If it's a if, if it makes you feel better, go for it. I don't mind commercials though, because I find them strangely comforting. What do you mean, Like, if you're I don't know, if I'm like stressed out or something, and I'm driving home and I'm stressed or scared or whatever, and I turn on the radio and it's a song, I might even turn the channel so that I can listen to commercials just to have like like friendly voice talk to me.
Speaker 4: Are you actually listening to the commercials or is it just like background? Yeah, so I was gonna say, I definitely do that where I like, I'll be listening to a song and then I realize I just listened to like ten minutes of commercials and didn't even think of no, because my brain was like somewhere else.
Speaker 2: But I'm like a.
Speaker 4: Stereotypical like flipper when it comes to radio, Like I always slip the station to find the next song that I want to listen to, so I go from like station to station.
Speaker 2: I usually do that too.
Speaker 1: I think most people do that with their button pushers. I mean, if you're listening to, you know, our radio station, and we start to play too many commercials, I think that people will tolerate like a couple of commercials, but when you realize though there's another one, people will flip it to another radio station. Or when there's a song. It used to be people would very much turn the radio station when a DJ started talking, but now it's kind of we hear the opposite. People say they tune away when we play a song. So if we're doing something really interesting like War of the Roses, then we played Lady Gaga, people are like, I can hear Lady Gaga.
Speaker 3: What They'll be like, gosh darn, and I don't want to hear this unless they're a kid in high school. Because I've had kids in high school be like, yeah, I don't listen because you guys don't play enough music.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, but it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well that's what Carson used to do. We'd get in the car and I would want to hear what, you know, like the Afternoon Show was doing, or hear what KAS ninety five was doing. So we'd have on KS ninety five and the music would stop, and then Moon and Stacey would start talking and Carson would turn the station and they'd be like, no, no, no, I want to hear what they're doing. Yeah, because you know, being a DJ as to hear what they're doing. Since they forgot why bong was the follow up to do you get It, which is a thing we used to say on the show do you get It? And then Steve would go bong, and I didn't remember why there was a bong because I would make a really obvious joke and then scream, do you get it?
Speaker 2: Bong?
Speaker 1: Here is some clarification. It is because Dave was saying a joke about Fallon's dad, and Day was referring to Fallon's dad smoking weed, but never use the word bong in the joke. So to encourage and yes and Dave on a joke that seemed to fall flat, Steve said, bong.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, that makes more sense. It does now, Yeah, because someone tried to text insane. It was like from a show or from like it was like the Gong Show. Someone tried to or they I think they emailed it in. Yeah, And so I was like, I don't feel like that was the reason.
Speaker 1: It's one of the mysteries of the show. And I don't remember that, but I will absolutely take your word for it. The joke was repeated again, and the bong was shouted again and became part of the joke itself. It made sense in the moment and was hilarious, but then continued on being a random response when Dave said, do you get it anyway? Have a good day. All that's from Stephanie. Thank Stephanie for supporting the show. We appreciate that. I'm going to scroll down to another one that I put a flag on it. Let's see what we have here. Dave, you mentioned a terrible history podcast. I wanted to recommend one called American Scandal. They take a moment in history and tell the story as if you were in the room. The two season I think you might like best are six, which is about Paola, and season sixty four, which is about Boeing. I found the season super interesting. I know nothing about airplanes. Also, hurry and go download those as they recently announced they're putting old season behind a paywall. I know I have things to say to Bailey and Jenny, but I can't remember now what they are.
Speaker 2: I feel like we might have read this one already. Oh rightobye, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a week old, so it's possible. And that's why I always tell myself during the podcast, I'm going to hit delete on that one because I think I forgot to.
Speaker 3: H I think you flagged it so you could remember which podcast they were talking about.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet you're right. Yeah, go on, gam All right, hello, you crazy cats. Let's talk about social media etiquette. One posting a picture of the bride and groom before they post pictures.
Speaker 4: Anybody we I think we also did this one.
Speaker 2: I feel like we did. Yeah, we did talk about this before, too.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Uh, let's get to another part the same thing. But I don't think we did mention this one. What about posting a picture of someone in the hospital when they are not coherent or dioh.
Speaker 3: No, we didn't talk about that. That sounds not unless you're like their family and you're posting it to their like caring bridge page, then makes sense. But like if you're just their friend and you're like, here, I am, I'm visiting TJ. He's in a coma, then.
Speaker 1: No, TJ's in a coma. I didn't even know you was sick. I know, right, I haven't spoken him a long time. Is he doing okay?
Speaker 2: He's all right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, good, all right?
Speaker 2: Think goodness. I posted a picture of us together.
Speaker 1: What about posting an rip before the family has posted about their passing? So, in other words, Bailey dies, Bailey dies, and I find out because I don't know. Jenny was there when it happened. She killed me, she killed you, and then she just so I say rip Bailey before Mam Ronda can post, Oh my god, my precious Bailey has kicked the bucket. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's not a good look.
Speaker 3: No, not a good look at all, Like you announce it on air, and my mom hasn't said anything yet.
Speaker 1: I always used to wonder when I was younger, they would say, like you know, let's say that said five people die in a horrible boating accident, and the news would say their identities have not been released pending notification of next of kin, and I was like, what the fuck does that matter? Ye? Well, then I realized it's because they wouldn't want mom and dad to find out on the radio or on TV that you know, that these people had died. They'd want to be notified via the police or whatever.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: This is not the necessarily the same, but I did find out that my sister was engaged on Facebook. She didn't tell me. I found out on Facebook that she was engaged. Why she I guess she got engaged. She tried calling me and I was working, so I didn't answer. So then she posted on Facebook instead of waiting for all of her family members to answer their phone.
Speaker 2: I thought, oh, man, I was upset.
Speaker 1: I get it. There's a big rift in our family. And I'm not going to get specific, but somebody did they had a baby and or they found out they were pregnant or something, and this person had to find out on Facebook. Sure, and they were so pissed and so hurt because they wanted to be told via text or phone call or in person. But they found out on Facebook that this other relative, a close relative, was either pregnant or just had a baby, and they were so pissed. But the problem was the person who posted it is not the most I didn't even know how to say it clear thinking person sometimes and so that it really got ugly. But I really think that's true. You don't want to find out on Facebook that your sister got engaged or that your mom is like, you know, like divorcing your.
Speaker 2: Dad, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's a question for you. What did you find out on Facebook? What were you watching? Look at it on Facebook and you found out Oh my god, Oh they're engaged. Yeah, what I wish? I don't. All right, that is it for the Minnesota goodbye emails today, Send yours into Ryan's show at katiew dot com. Anything you want to bring up, Jenny, Is there anything going on?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I'm good. Just say I'm excited for Boobash tonight, that's all.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for it too, I really am. We've decided that we're all going to meet here at the radio station and then we're going to uber down so we all get out at the same time, and we don't do that awkward walk in a costume. Yes, because it is an awkward walk from two blocks away through the parking garage garage and everybody knows you're in costume, but especially me being older, I always get the feeling people to look in like, who's this old fuck in a costume? Nobody wants this old fuck showing up their Halloween party. So I usually go with somebody I've had cookie, goat what long is my date before?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: So I don't have to walk in alone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Alone.
Speaker 3: I used to do that in school because I used to wear really stupid clothes, so I would call my friends up so they could meet me outside walk in with me. Why did you wear stupid clothes to be quirky and different?
Speaker 1: How'd that work out for you?
Speaker 3: Uh? I mean I was pretty quirky and different. I didn't have a lot of friends, but the friends I did have.
Speaker 1: You think you maybe, addressed in normal jcpenny clothes like the rest of us people, that you would have been a much better lit, a bunch better life.
Speaker 2: Now I don't care about those garbage clothes.
Speaker 1: Jcpenny have really nice clothes.
Speaker 3: Cold, Yeah, everyone's wearing those Target. I want to wear a Paisley shirt from nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Where did you shop? Ragstock?
Speaker 3: Goodwill my mom's closet from nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he SUEPS cute.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thanks for sharing, We appreciate that, and thank you for listening to the Minnesota Good good Bye,