Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Okay, who had Barack Obama out trumping Trump on the day that an American pope was chosen?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: Obama kind of made it about him with Chicago. Not really, but yes, he said Michelle, and I said, our congratulations to a fellow Chicagoan, his holiness, Pope Leo the fourteenth. We will pray for him as he begins the sacred work of leading the Catholic Church and setting an example for so many, regardless of faith.
Speaker 3: I will find this interesting, the first interview he does with an English language station to hear him, To hear a pope without an accent speaking unaccented English.
Speaker 2: Very very true.
Speaker 1: This was a guy born in Chicago in nineteen fifty five, started his religious journey at twenty two in Saint Louis, where candidates often spend one or two years preparing to enter the Augustine Order founded by a thirteenth century saint, later twice elected Prior General, which is top leader of the Augustinians. After his time in Saint Louis. He went to study at the Pontifical Saint Thomas Aquinas University, where he was ordained in June of eighty two. Two years later he was sent to Peru, where he spent much of his time. He became a citizen of Peru in twenty fifteen, went to Rome at the behest of Francis in twenty twenty three. The same time he assumed another title, the Prefect of the Decastory for Bishops, which is a very powerful head of the office that vets bishop nominations, one of the most important jobs in the Catholic Church. Well liked by everyone, seems to be quite affable, has a sense of humor and peace is his thing as being a good priest of the Augustinian Order.
Speaker 3: I hope, I hope that Saturday Night Live understands that they have to bring back the super famous.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't know this, you do.
Speaker 3: It's the Chicago guys that love Mike Dicka.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, aditional both working super fans.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be funny, that would be very funny. George Went, Chris Farley dead.
Speaker 3: I don't think George Went's still around either, But you've got Joe Montana. You've got a bunch of different guys that could potentially Mike Myers, Robert Smigel.
Speaker 1: The Vatican says Pope Leo the fourteenth will celebrate Mass at the Sistine Chapel on Friday with the cardinals who elected him. He's going to recite the Regina Koli prayer on Sunday at Saint Peter's Basilica, and on Monday he's going to meet with journalists at the Vatican. There are people that are a little disappointed, as you can imagine that it is an American.
Speaker 2: It's too early to be disappointed the people. I don't like America. Oh, that part of it, okay.
Speaker 1: But his first message was for world peace. That is his bally Wick. That's that's an easy go to, so I don't I don't blame him for that. I'd like to see what the follow ups are. World peace is kind of we all, well, the august Indians, they celebrate peace as opposed to the Jesuits who focus on other things like community, I think, and I don't remember what else, what else other things going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening, obviously that Pope Leo the fourteenth news is going to dominate for the next few days.
Speaker 2: There was a study that came.
Speaker 3: Out that suggested that gas prices in California could reach eight dollars a gallon by the beginning of next year. Part of it is the Phillip sixty sixth refinery here in la is set to close October of this year. Valero's Benetia refinery expected to close in April of next year's And there is a con and of course, that we would see a shortage of gasoline here in the Great Golden State as a result of it. Remember it was the beginning of last month, I believe it was. A report came out and said this has nothing to do with supply versus demand. It has everything to do with legislative, bureaucratic b s.
Speaker 2: I just freaked out a little bit. This is a little too weird.
Speaker 1: Remember yesterday, because I just picked up our jeopardy question because we usually do that at the end of the segment.
Speaker 2: Do you remember our jeopardy question yesterday? What the answer was? And I got it wrong? It was Saint Augustine. No, what it was, Florida. The town, Yeah, it was named after Saint Augustine.
Speaker 3: He listen, you can keep ignoring the God all you want. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: You will make impacts on your life.
Speaker 1: Because this is the first pope of the Augustine Order since the pope that created that order. Yeah it wasn't Pope Augustine. It was Pope up Else. I forget his name, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a moment there because your face changed and you almost teared up.
Speaker 2: Well, what are the odds? I don't know. That's insane. That's not the word that I would use, But okay, I think that's crazy.
Speaker 1: When is the When have we ever brought up Saint Augustine on this show?
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden, the next day you get an Augustinian pope synchronous? My god.
Speaker 3: LA City Council has approved slower speed limits near schools. Yesterday, the unanimously approved are proposal to reduce speed limits from twenty five down to fifteen miles an hour on three hundred and forty three streets near two hundred and one schools. Of course, the lower slower speeds would apply when kids are arriving too or leaving from school.
Speaker 1: Universal Studios is bringing the big screen to life this summer, the debut of the Universal Mega movie Summer. It's going to be a seasonal event running daily from June thirteenth to August tenth.
Speaker 2: Is this why they needed new people?
Speaker 1: Potentially it's going to have immersive experiences based on Jurassic World, Rebirth, Jaws, Back to the Future, Wicket.
Speaker 2: And how to Train Your Dragon? Are think I do? How do you train dragons?
Speaker 1: Well, they're going to have a dragon and then you're going to train it. Bill Gates is in the news. He's going to give away all his money. He went after I believe Elon Musk in this interview as well. This is what they've always talked about when they founded the Gates Foundation. They had always planned to just give away their money, which you can do when you have two hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 3: He plans to distribute virtually all of his wealth, thank you, I think he said. I think the number I saw was ninety nine percent, which is very generous of him. That would only leave him with two billion dollars. And I don't know how a guy's going to scrape by with two bees.
Speaker 1: We've got strange science headed your way at the bottom of the hour, and this one piqud our interest.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 1: We talked about what we'd be talking about today, that the chemistry of the smoke signals at the Vatican and how that all works. And we can touch on that even though we've gone through all the black smoke and then the white smoke, and we've got the new Pope in the whole bit. But there's another article for Strange Science that you've got to hear. It's all about what we're going to eat after the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Fascinating stuff there.
Speaker 1: Would you like your Jeopardy question for today a prescient time of the show.
Speaker 2: Let's see if this is going to be something important as well. It could be.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing about yesterday's Jeopardy question. It wasn't even just yesterday's Jeopardy question. It was from Saturday, and our jeopardy question was lame yesterday. And Keana dug that thing out of the trash. It was crumpled up, and she brought it to me because it was kind of like papal related and the jeopardy question yesterday was no good. She dug that thing out of the trash, brought it to us, and then it became the future.
Speaker 2: I had a good feeling. Yeah, that's the Holy Spirit, that is the Holy Spirit. That's exactly what that is, using messengers, right, all right?
Speaker 1: So anyway, today's the fifteen hundred's four four hundred dollars. In fifteen twenty eight, weavers in Kent, England went back back bananas when a Cardinal Woolsey moved the main trading port for this sheep product. Well, comes from a sheep, Gary, what is wool Yes, that's an awful clue. It was awful.
Speaker 3: And why are they papal? What do you mean there was a cardinal? Didn't you say it was a Cardinal Wolsey?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why does everything have to do with the pope?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Because of God? How did they they wrote that?
Speaker 3: They wrote that calendar a year ago, right, and I know they knew that on May eighteen?
Speaker 2: He's powerful? All right? Wow?
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, Speaking of which, Okay, the Angels won yesterday.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 2: Angels beat the Blue Jays five to four. Oh my god. And the blue Jays are Canadian? Right? Yeah? Yeah, I don't get that part. Well, America won today. Oh my gosh. You hear about a Canadian pope? Neither did I.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We have a new Pope, surprise, the first American Pope, your two hundred and sixty seventh Pope. There there's other news that we have failed to get to. I heard John On talking out in the hallway, and one of the stories I wanted to get to today was Karen Bass blaming everybody for the fire response but herself. Did you hear that audio from that meeting? My goodness, gracious, the ego, the head in the sand, the lack of any sort of accountability at this stage is incredible.
Speaker 3: I'll compare it to we'll come back and do it because we're gonna give away some money. But I will compare it to something I heard from Bernie Sanders yesterday too.
Speaker 2: And I know they're different.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're different politicians, but it points to a symptom that we've talked about before many times when it comes to politicians.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that is coming up. A chance for you to win a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Grand that's Grand g R A N D. Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything called the winning Attorneys.
Speaker 2: It's Sweet James.
Speaker 4: One eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million, or Sweet teams dot calm.
Speaker 3: Again, the keyword grand goes on the website. Keep an eye on your email inbox. That is how winners are notified. Again an hour from.
Speaker 2: Now, mine is great? Is it okay? Why do you ask well after the after your routine you learned.
Speaker 3: I didn't if I moving on?
Speaker 2: So, Karen Bass.
Speaker 3: Has put blame on the city's mishandling of the fires on everyone but herself. She called out the LA Department of Water and Power. She called out the fire department chief for the LA City. She called out the insurance industry. She was talking at the Milkin Institute's twentieth Annual Global Conference yesterday, called a panel called Rising Strong LA's Path to Recovery. Now, is Karen Bass physically responsible for what happened in the Palisades?
Speaker 2: No, she couldn't be spitler ste.
Speaker 1: Just a little bit of accountability of Hey, we all know I screwed up.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't have gone on that trip.
Speaker 1: Just one time, just saying that one time, just saying, hey, I saw that forecast. It was awful hindsight twenty twenty. But I should not have gone. I should have been here for La that would go so far, even at this stage in the game.
Speaker 3: She said that the rebuilding has gone very fast. She's I'm going to repeat that again. She said, the rebuilding has been going very fast. Speak to anyone who has lived in that area or is still currently impacted by what's going on in the area, and they will tell you they can't see it. And if anybody should see it, it's the people who it impacts immediately, and they have not been able to.
Speaker 2: See it well. The permitting process alone.
Speaker 3: Also again, it's one of those things that you can your from your post in La City Hall. You can probably imagine that you think things are going well because people are telling you that the Emperor has no clothes, They're telling you, I'm sorry, They're telling you the Emperor does have closed, when in fact she doesn't. She says that the city issued its first permits to rebuild within two months at about two hundred people in the pipeline.
Speaker 2: Now that's it. How many two hundred that's it.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous. The city plans to move things along by waving permitting fees.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 3: She talked about that in the State of the City address in April, but there have been thirty seven thirty seven greenlit permits, thirty seven. There's no understanding of who she is and what she is saying. Bernie Sanders recently was asked about in an interview that I heard last night. He was asked about the Fight the Oligarchy tour that.
Speaker 2: He's been on. You've seen him do these different events.
Speaker 3: He was out at Coachell a couple of weekends ago, and he's been using private jet to get from one group to another, right one rally to another, ten twenty thirty thousand people at a time. And the question was, is that really fighting the oligarchy? You're trying to talk to the to the normal people when you're jet setting thousands of miles at a time on a private plane, And he said, well, there's no other way to talk to that many people. It's just this outsized view of their own importance, arrogance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just covered in it.
Speaker 3: And it's politicians of all stripes. I mean, it's politicians as low. I shouldn't say low, but I mean in terms of representative size, the mayor of la a senator from the state of Vermont.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't have that outsized importance, like that outsized view of your own importance and have any ability to relate to anybody, right, I mean representing Who do they think they are?
Speaker 1: It's not like God picked them to deliver the news that a new pope had been chosen. It's not like God sent a message yesterday telling them it would be a pope of the Saint Augustine order.
Speaker 2: I see what you do.
Speaker 3: Hey, we wanted to We wanted to say thank you, by the way, to God, also to nurses and teachers, which also are from God.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sam, because.
Speaker 3: It is a nurse appreciation Week and it is also teacher appreciation Week. In fact, Kafi and Stonefire Grill want to treat you and your family to dinner. So if you're a teacher or a nurse, or you'd like to give a gift to a teacher or a nurse, call in. We're going to have caller number six for your chance to win a one hundred dollars Stone Fire Gift Card. One eight hundred five to zero one, five, three four, eight hundred five to a one KFI Please, teacher or a nurse caller Number six is going to win one hundred dollars gift card to Stone Fire Grill.
Speaker 1: All right, what you would eat after the apocalypse? And no it's not pop tarts and cup of noodles. We'll tell you about it in Strange Science when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A six forty.
Speaker 2: That I don't know. Yeah, it's not for strange science. God needs a break. Yeah, strange sience.
Speaker 4: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with the just make it popy.
Speaker 1: The science, but make it religious.
Speaker 3: Right the papal pyrotechnics that we have seen. Of course, conclave lasted just a little more than twenty four hours as the cardinals elected a successor to take over from Pope Francis. We know, of course, that it is going to be Pope Leo, the fourteenth cardinal, born and raised in Chicago, of all places, spent a lot of time in Peru, but he was announced this morning.
Speaker 2: Right as the show started. Bro, that's white smoke. I can't believe I said that. Actually, I think, to be clear, I think it was that's white smoke. Bro.
Speaker 1: We'll have to go back in my defense. You said it was black smoke or you couldn't tell.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Because I and I clearly saw it white. And that's when I had to emphatically say that's white smoke. Bro.
Speaker 2: The sun was.
Speaker 3: Behind the chimney, so I didn't have a good It's okay, bad lighting.
Speaker 2: That's bad lighting. Sorry. When you're closer to God, like this one right here, you'll see the right colors has already removed the scales from your eyes. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: So anyway, Popolo the fourteenth announced when the white smoke came out of the chimney at the Sistine Chapel today, but that was after at least three rounds of black smoke.
Speaker 1: Black smoke is the easiest to make. According to scientists, It is a mix of potassium percolate, an thrascing anthracine, and sulfur. In this reaction, the potassium percolate is the oxygen oxygen rich oxidizer. That's a fun thing to say. A roll at for equently serves in fireworks. Actually, it's very safe. It gives easily up to oxygen, and so it's a quick thing. Now the white smoke more challenging. There's a reason why they wait till the end.
Speaker 3: Well, and think about what we've talked before about fires, wildfires, and you see black smoke, that usually is an indication that it's active fire. I thought the symbolism was interesting because if you get early on a fire, the smoke tends to be black, as it's more active. When it gets sprayed down, when it's less active, that's when the smoke turns gray and often white.
Speaker 1: Black involves fuel, right exactly. So there you go. So now you know the chemistry. You can wow all your friends at cocktail hour. Hey, do you guys know how they make that black smoke?
Speaker 3: The zinc chloride, the immuni ammonium chloride, of the reasons why you see the.
Speaker 2: White smoke.
Speaker 3: They now have a recipe that calls for potassium chlorate, lactose, just common sugar, and a type of pine rosin sometimes known as Greek pitch, and then they throw that in there and that's why the white comes out. This is a fun story though, this one about there used to be a.
Speaker 2: Show on TV.
Speaker 3: I think it was a History channel that used to do this program called I believe it's called After People or After Human Yeah, and it was let's assume that something happened and humanity was wiped out, not animals, not all animal life, but just humans.
Speaker 2: And it was a.
Speaker 3: Show that would basically describe what would happen a month after life on Earth without humans a year and ten years and describe what how plants and animals would overtake, you know, major cities and things like that.
Speaker 1: Where are we on that Soviet spacecraft that's hurtling towards Earth and we don't know where it's going to land and it weighs eleven pounds the brief for two inches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it's Saturday. Is still the day there? Saturday is the day.
Speaker 3: Look up Cosmos two eight four I think is the name of the spacecraft. They may have narrowed it down a little bit. As we get closer to it, they'll have a better uh, because I haven't.
Speaker 2: They've been very quiet about it today, haven't they.
Speaker 3: You know what today they have been quiet about it. Maybe they know something that they're not telling us.
Speaker 1: Maybe this we wouldn't get a new pope and then boom, it's all over.
Speaker 2: Would we maybe may.
Speaker 3: Be listen it's not our design. It is not what you would eat after the apocalypse. What we may eat come Sunday.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The city of Chicago produced a pope before they produced a quarterback who through for four thousand yards. Time take it to get picked new Pope two days Shadoor Sanders three days. Wow, we got a new pope before Aaron Rodgers made his decision.
Speaker 2: Again. I think they.
Speaker 3: I think Saturday and Live has to bring back Saturday Night Live has to bring back Bill Swirsky. Super fans talk about Dica and to talk about Pope Leo, and that would be a be a huge move on their part. Guys, keep it, keep it relevant. Over there, would you have so good? One of the other big stories today came out of Washington, d C. President Trump announced a trade agreement, a huge trade deal with the United Kingdom. He wrote today on Truth Social The agreement with the UK is a full and comprehensive one that will cement the relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom for many years to come. They held a held a news conference there in the Oval Office to make the announcement. He was flanked by some British representatives but also the economic team that he's been working with.
Speaker 1: Somebody has put the pope speech as dubbed over the Pope's speech like bad lip reading and still can't believe the Pope said this during his first speech. God bless you all, except those for who live in Green Bay, Wisconsin. You may have more Super Bowls, but f the packers.
Speaker 2: So good. I caught him so easily amused by NFL memes.
Speaker 3: Organizers of the Golden Globes have came out with a huge announcement. They're going to introduce a best Podcast category starting next year for the eighty third Golden Globe Awards Best Podcast.
Speaker 2: There's already podcast awards.
Speaker 1: To Keana's point that she made on The Conway Show yesterday when they spoke about this.
Speaker 3: Top twenty five podcasts is what they're going to choose from and then make six nominations out of those twenty five.
Speaker 1: Cool What You'd eat after the apocalypse If a global catastrophe disrupted international trade and fuel supplies, what would our survival hinge on get ready for this list.
Speaker 2: Are you sitting down and are you on a toilet? The diet would be of peas.
Speaker 3: Let me point out that they will not be using toilets after the apocalypse.
Speaker 1: Holes in the ground if you're lucky, water, if you've dug it, If you've dug it, peas, sugar beets.
Speaker 2: Spinach, and potatoes.
Speaker 1: Wow, my husband picks peas out of chow man.
Speaker 2: That's how much he likes peas.
Speaker 3: Well, he may be one of the first to go. Then if he will, he will be one of the first. They said of the crops that they studied, Peas would require the least land area to provide the protein and food energy needs of one person. Peas would love peas. I could eat peas all the time. I'm a big peas fan. They're also talking about different kinds of apocalypse. Sees would produce different results to this question, because, for example, a pea would survive a catastrophe where the climate is similar to today's.
Speaker 2: But not nuclear winter. Not nuclear winter no that scenario.
Speaker 3: Nuclear winter would be soot that's caused from these large scale nuclear explosions to block sunlight and cool the planet. Would shorten the growing season lower the average temperature. And in that case, they said, sugar beets and spinach would take the lead, both of those hardy spinach.
Speaker 2: I gottah, hey my spinach. You know what I mean. I can't just eat raw spinach like a Popeye.
Speaker 1: I gotta have some garlic, some olive oil, all the stuff that the apocalypse has gotten rid of.
Speaker 3: And even Popeye's spinach most of the time was canned.
Speaker 1: Might it be so pissed if the apocalypse comes and I don't get wiped out?
Speaker 2: If you're stuck, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine just sitting there alone like the guy in Twilight Zone with no glasses, all those books and peas, But you wouldn't have the books.
Speaker 3: Just outside the city, they say. They're talking about that being the peas and the beetroot. Sorry, the peas, the beats, and the spinach would be inner cities stuff where you've got like garden building, top gardens and rooftop gardens and stuff like that. But they said, outside the city, you could still use some of the industrial farming methods that we have developed over the years if there's enough land, et cetera. And you could probably get by with a bunch of potatoes.
Speaker 1: That's the last time you saw a rooftop garden in the city. Any city, Name a city, city, name a city, any city.
Speaker 2: I saw him in Nashville, Oh did you? Yeah, in people's homes.
Speaker 3: Tops of apartment buildings and things like that. Wow, potatoes can feed people using minimal land. They said they can be sensitive to frost, but obviously that would be bad if there was a nuclear winter.
Speaker 2: But did you ever see that?
Speaker 3: Did you ever see that documentary about Matt Damon When he went to Mars, he was able to live on potatoes for a long time before they rescued him and brought him back so that he could make another born movie.
Speaker 2: The Martian.
Speaker 3: I think that's what they called it. Yeah, because he was there for a while. He was there for a year or two, but potatoes and lived on potatoes for quite a while until they caused him gastrointest.
Speaker 1: Hey did he talk to the potatoes like Tom Hanks did in that documentary about him and the volleyball?
Speaker 3: I believe so, Yeah, because Tom Hanks almost died in that plane crash.
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks almost died in in several things. He almost got aids. Remember when he almost got AIDS. Did he get the aids?
Speaker 2: You think so? Well? I don't know. He saw the movie right, but he didn't die from the AIDS. He was also a cowboy at one point. Remember when Jenny left him and came back with AIDS and a child? I do, Do you remember that? Thanks for the spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: They also say researchers said that their methodology about food after the apocalypse could help cities worldwide assess their food security and try to develop land and land use policies that will boost resilience in the event that the end.
Speaker 2: Meg Ryan never tried to kill Tom Hanks. Oh that was Billy cre What I saw that movie with the orgasm? Is that what she was doing? Okay? John Cobalt Show coming up next.
Speaker 3: You miss any part of our show, go back out check out the podcast.
Speaker 2: Don't want to miss any part of this. You want to miss the part where Shannon goes, oh, that's white smoke bro. That's white smoke bro. This is why you don't choose an American pope. Case in point. See you tomorrow, Stay dry. Everybody list things you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.