Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drive time Tuesday afternoon, fifteen minutes past the hour, two o'clock. Another beautiful day man, about fifty two degrees in sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. And as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. Spence Check it's behind the mike. That's Porter Larsen beyond the glass.
Speaker 2: This program is called The Drive with Spence Checkets.
Speaker 1: We do four hours of radio every single afternoon, and it's good to have you along for the ride. All right, good guest list today, a lot to get to today. Game day for the Utah Hockey Club. They welcome to the Chicago Blackhawks. Points at a premium fun conversation with Bill Armstrong yesterday, general manager.
Speaker 2: Of the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 1: They're back in action tonight, so the push for the wild card is on for the hockey club. Utah Jazz took an l last night to the Portland Trail Blazers. They're gonna be off tonight. They're back in action tomorrow taking on Sacramento. Really good game last night from Kyle Philipowski. Pretty good game from Bryce sent Siba Keyante tried to get them back in and at the end. But it was not a great Kyante night after a really good Kiante game against the Houston Rockets. But we'll do a little jazz basketball on the show today. We'll do a little NBA basketball on the show today. All eyes on Turner Sport tonight, six o'clock Mountain Time.
Speaker 2: The Lakers and the Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Luka Doncicic taking on his old team in Los Angeles. We'll get to some storylines surrounding that game. Do some big picture NBA as down the stretch we come. And I've got to say, as the guy who pretty consistently over the past number of well years now has cracked on this product to pro basketball where it employs basketball players that don't seem to enjoy, you know, playing basketball. Over the past few nights, there have been some really good games and some high effort situations. As we are high speed ahead to spring and the playoff push is upon us, so do some NBA on the show today. Of course, the news that broke yesterday prior to us cracking the mic to come on air Craig Smith out as the universe Utah men's basketball coach.
Speaker 2: We'll get to the latest on this, and.
Speaker 1: I've had a couple of conversations over the past twenty four hours from folks up on the hill with folks up on the Hill and boosters donors reaching out talking about what's next for Utah basketball. So we'll get to that and the latest with the candidates that most people have already talked about. If you missed the Josh Grant interview from yesterday, I would highly encourage you to go listen to that up on our podcast page, which is called The Drive with Spence Check. It's a very honest, salient, clear eye opinion on what's happened at the University of Utah with the basketball program and what Josh and a lot of the alumni are hoping will come next. And so that will be a big portion of what we do on the program today. The NFL Combine is going on the NFL Drafters right around the corner. Some local boys involved Salt Lake Tribune with a story yesterday and we didn't get to talk about it much. We'll get to it today about some nil inconsistencies.
Speaker 2: I guess is how we'll that.
Speaker 1: With BYU football and then we'll do somebo College basketball is BYU is high speed ahead of the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: It looks like, barring some late season collapse.
Speaker 1: Richie Saunders named the Big twelve Player of the Week BYU with a massive win at McHale. So it's kind of a quiet night locally outside of the hockey club. But tomorrow's packed. Utah is at McHale to take on Arizona Sacramentos in town to take on the Jazz and BYU back in action as well as they're gonna take on Arizona State on the road. BYU in the top twenty five for the first time all year. Utah State with a tough roady at Boise, so a lot to do on the program.
Speaker 2: RSL back in action tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It's the second leg of their CONKYCAFF champions Cup opening round matchup against Aridiano. This one is here. It's out in Sandy. It shouldn't be right there, but hey, let's get a parking lot instead. So it's out in Sandy. Head on out RSL dot com to support the lads.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Our first guest right out of the gates Sean Mooney. We'll do some Utah basketball right away with Sean, who played at the U and now is alongside Ryles for the call for U tome nd Hoops. So Sean will be our first guest today. NBA Daily Assists was Zach Harper. He rolls by on the program as well. And then we're gonna bring in Bill Voice himself, Bill Riley on the program. We'll get Bill's thoughts on Craig's dismissal and what he thinks is next for Utah men's basketball. We'll do a little Utah football with Ryle's on the show today as well. Roxy Bernstein, one of our favorites, old school PAC twelve network guy, now doing a bunch of different stuff with the ESPN. We'll do some hockey with Roxy and some college basketball with him as well. So Sean Mooney, Zach Harper, Bill Riley, Roxy Bernstein. There's a couple of potential guests that may stop buy on that open three thirty block.
Speaker 2: We'll keep you up to date on that me Spence check. It's all of you the great listeners.
Speaker 1: Happy Tuesday, beautiful day outside, and it's going to have you along for the ride. And that guy Porter Larson rocking the beanie with fifty degrees today.
Speaker 2: It is a little warm feeling.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess I didn't get outside too much before I came outside, threw the beanie on, and then yeah, ran outside in mid February, and it's an another beautiful spring maybe summer.
Speaker 2: Day, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: We were able to avoid the the the mud ponds at the park today. Duke, the station mascot, Duke who is here today? He cannot say no to a mud pond and he's white, yes, so it doesn't. It's not a great look. So we were able to avoid that today. But a fun day at the park with the dog. Hopefully you guys are able to get outside enjoy this warm weather. It will not last all that long, all right. Sean Mooney our first guest right out of the gates today. But before we get to Sean, pry to see if our good friends sat Prize Picks check them out. Prize Picks is the best place to get real money sports action. With over ten million members and billions of dollars in awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for shot to went up to one thousand times your cash run your game all season long on Prize Picks, the best way to get action on sports in more than thirty states.
Speaker 2: It's very easy.
Speaker 1: If you think Steph Curry's going to get more than five three pointers, Giannis for more than thirty five points stretching onto the basketball season is here. You can cook up hot takes with your friends and win real money this basketball season when you and your crew run your game on Prize Picks. So here's the deal. If you have not taken advantage of their offer, you should do it today. You get fifty dollars for free instantly when you'd played just five bucks. You don't even need to win to get the fifty dollars bonus. It's just guaranteed. So download the Prize Picks up today, use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred and get fifty dollars instantly when you played just five dollars with our good friends.
Speaker 2: At Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: All right, So, you never know in this business when a story's going to come down, and you kind of throw out the run down and you do the show based on the topic and the news of the day today, and ultimately the news came down that Craig Smith has been relieved of his duties as the head coach for the Utah men's basketball team. Craig was in his fourth year. We've talked about it. You know, the results. We could be reductive and say you didn't win enough, and that's certainly part of it. And you know, based off of conversations I've had over the past forty eight well, you know, twenty four hours or so, now this really was booster driven. There are a lot of people and all just say this again, if you missed Josh Grant from yesterday, you should go listen to that interview. But a lot of people in the community that write checks, boosters donors at the University of Utah just not pleased with the direction of the program. And you juxtaposed it with what's happening about forty miles down south.
Speaker 2: You know, on the football side.
Speaker 1: Of things, you could make a very fair case that last year was just a moment in time and this whole scenario where BYU has risen up to be a legitimate Big twelve football contender in Utah last year kind of fell backwards. You could make a very fair argument that the data indicates that might just be a moment right not necessarily the reality you can't do that with the basketball programs when you compare the two. And this isn't only the only reason that Craig is gone, but when you compare the two right now, BYU basketball isn't a better spot than Utah and has been, if we're honest, in a better spot than Utah has been in a little while. Utah has been able to get to some head to head wins. But the way that Kevin Young has been able to come in and take over that program and the way that their collective has been able to step up, at least on the basketball side. On the football side a different conversation. We'll talk about that later. Feel bad for my guy Killani. But on the basketball side, it's clear that they're writing big checks.
Speaker 2: It's Ryan Smith, it's Danny Ainge.
Speaker 1: I'm told they have nine seven figure donors and they all care about basketball. They paid Kevin a lot of money to lead the NBA. The reports are they have two seven figure players this year, and Cannon Catchings and Yegor Demon and they have the best high school player in the country coming to Provo next year. To the tune of more than five million dollars for five months of basketball. So BYU has something cooking that Utah just doesn't on the basketball side, and that doesn't sit well with alumni and boosters and people that care about the program. And obviously, you know, if you're Mark Carlin, those are voices you have to listen to. If you're Taylor Randall, those are voices you have to listen to. And I'm not saying this is the only reason he's gone. I do think it's layered and there are a number of reasons. The first reason is lack of results. Craig say it himself last year in an interview. This is a bottom line, results orientated business and we all know the deal. So lack of results, lack of winning, lack of booster support. And I'm sure if you're Mark Carlin, you know you're probably under a lot.
Speaker 2: Of pressure to make sure you get this higher right.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about this when Tom Homo announced that he was retiring down at BRIGHAMIONG after twenty years. As they're ad Broco, Metadal, Dave Rose, Kalone, Satake, Mark Pope, Kevin Jung. I mean, that's basically five for five right for hires and Marx hires Craig and it didn't work, and so it's so for one, he didn't hire Kyle. And I think the you know, the succession plan of Morgan in place for Kyle was already in place before Mark got here.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure Mark's feeling a little bit of heat.
Speaker 1: He's got to get this one right because the one higher he's made, and this is the revenue generating sports. There are other hires he's made in sports that don't generate as much revenue that have been fine, but basketball and football is what pay payser bills, and that's ultimately how you're judged from Mark seats.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Of course, Alex jen And is the name that everybody's honed in on, and as I talked about yesterday and we'll talk about with both Sean Mooney and Bill Riley today. Five years ago or so, when coach Chriscoviak was let go and Alex's name came up, I was adamant that he would not even entertain it. But I was adamant that he would not entertain it back then because Alex was coming off a situation where he was the lead assistant for Quinn, Snyder and Quinn and that group had about a six to seven year run of big time success and they garnered a lot of respect around the NBA for their ability to develop talent, namely Gordon Hayward, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 2: Right, we could keep going, but those are kind of the.
Speaker 1: Roses if if you will, when it comes to that iteration of the Jazz and the players they were able to develop. Sadly none of them stayed here when they had the ability to choose where they wanted to live. But Alex was credited with really helping Rudy develop. When Rudy came into the league, he could barely run up and down the floor. Dennis Lindsay on My show, Jazz General Manager said Rudy was treated like a quote circus freak at the draft combine.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew what to do with him.
Speaker 1: And of course the bulk of the credit goes to go Bear, but Alex was the guy that was working with him every day. He went from a Langley baby giraffe to a Hall of Famer with the help of Alex Jensen. You add on to the fact that they want a ton of games, and when you win, you're going to lose assistant coaches. And Quinn did with that group quite a bit. I could name you a bunch of names, but none of them would probably land. You probably don't know who they are. But he didn't lose Alex, and I thought you would because I thought Alex was going to be an NBA head coach. I know he interviewed with the Cleveland Cavaliers, I think before they hired Bickerstaff. But I'm not sure that Alex has received another interview to be an NBA head coach. And so five years later, I've changed my tune about what I believed to be Alex's interest in this job.
Speaker 2: This is I have not talked to Alex. I've reached out to him.
Speaker 1: Alex was perfect for the Jazz because he's very close to the chest, close to the vest.
Speaker 2: He doesn't share much. He's a pretty quiet dude.
Speaker 1: So we'll see a lot of people have already leaned into this idea of Alex Jensen as your head coach and Andre Miller as your assistant. And I'll say this, I'm not usually one that says you've got to win the press conference, but I think in this situation.
Speaker 2: In scenario you kind of do.
Speaker 1: I think you need to show this community that you're willing to spend what you need to spend to keep up with that school down south that's spending a lot of money to build a powerhouse college basketball program and get.
Speaker 2: In the game. Man.
Speaker 1: And if it's Alex Jensen and Andre Miller, I would imagine the ticket reps up on the Hill would receive quite a few phone calls right after the press conference. And of course the more important thing is how do you build a program, But at least for one day. If that's the direction, you garner a lot of good will in this community, and the buzz would be pretty palpable.
Speaker 2: Do almonds go bad? Do almonds have an expiration date? Honestly don't know.
Speaker 5: Do almonds go bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe google that.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna say yes, But I think you're gonna have to like try to or like introduce moisture to the to the situation. I think they stay good for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Oh right, Yeah, I need to get to the store.
Speaker 1: Nobody gives a rip about this, but I was leaving in a rush today.
Speaker 2: Needed a snack.
Speaker 1: I've had this bag of almonds in my drawer for at least two years.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's cracked. I'm eating them. So I'm just wondering if I'm in trouble.
Speaker 4: I think you're fine, all right, but you know I'm not a doctor. I did stay at a holiday in last night, though.
Speaker 1: Sean Mooney, we know that Sean is a very proficient dancer in basketball. Mind, do you have any knowledge on the shelf life of almonds?
Speaker 2: Sean?
Speaker 6: I think you're just fine. I mean, come on, they've been around for a centuries, They're going to be around for a centuries from here on out. You are nut.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Sean, that's good. That's good. I'll tell you what. Tell you what doesn't have a very long shelf live? College basketball coaches?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Wow? Did I just make that transition?
Speaker 3: Good? It was? It was good.
Speaker 1: So Jean out know, if you had a chance to listen to Josh yesterday on the program, Yeah, goodness, and hey, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love the honesty.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I'm completely aligned with him all the way, but let you start there. What are your thoughts on kind of the salient clear eye analysis Josh gave us yesterday?
Speaker 6: Well, First of all, like I love JG. So I was an athlete with JG. He obviously is everything you said he was Spence. I mean, he's as good a player probably as we've had at Utah, really really talented, and I love how he's not pulling punches. He's just out telling you exactly what he feels. And I think like most of what JG had to say was was accurate. And the thing I love the most about what Josh said yesterday and what I heard the most Spence was his passion. Can you hear the passion he has for Utah basketball. It's it's that that I think right there encapsulates what really drives athletics for so many people, but in particular alumni. As far as like the finer points of what JG said, the only really only counterpoint that I would have to him is like, it's hard to go back to our era and put our era into this era. I agree that we need a system, that we need a system that players want to come play for Allah, Kelvin Sampson, Shaka, Smart, Marquette. These these teams have eighty seven percent retention. I don't know that you have to have roster construction. I don't know that you're going to have the same desire to be a role player that maybe JG was talking about. And I do think role players are very important, obviously, but that's the only real counterpoint I would have to JG.
Speaker 1: Just initially, Okay, well said, let me follow up with this, And here's where, Honestly, Sean, I'm not really sure where to land because I'm not privy to any of these conversations about what Josh was was kind of out outlining yesterday of alumni trying to contact Craig to get more involved, and part of me, if I'm being honest, part of me puts myself in Craig's shoes. I'm like, well, I've got I've got a program to run, I've got a team to coach, you know, and I can't necessarily kowtow to every single phone call I get from an alumni that wants to tell me how to run my team. But look, I also understand Josh's point about the rich history and pedigree of this program, and if you're the head coach's probably something you should consider at least having some people involved to hear their voices. I honestly am a bit conflicted on this one, Sean, but I wanted to get your thoughts and maybe you have some knowledge of alumni reaching out to Craig and Craig not necessarily being open to, you know, to those conversations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I don't have any specific knowledge. Jag definitely, Josh definitely spoke as if he did have specific knowledge about that. I don't have that knowledge. I do know, and you know this. One of my close friends, my best man, Tommy Connor, was on a coaching staff at Utah. Two coaching staffs, Coach Majerison, coach Criscobiak, and so I do know from conversations with Tommy that often alumni reach out and sometimes you can talk to them, and sometimes maybe their requests or what they want are unreasonable. Like a lot of people think they can coach. This has nothing to do with what Josh Saner terms of who he thinks can coach. I agree, I think Alex Jensen's a great choice, along with lots of other candidates. But you know, you have to temper yourself and to go to Craig's position. To be in Craig's position. Now, I'm pretty I feel pretty intimate in this answer. Because I've been around Craig. I think Craig did have a lot on his plate at Utah. We know that Utah men's basketball is a lot just in and of itself. It's an entity that we all know and love. I mean, I love listening to you talk about your time at the Huntsman Center. So I think you have to do your best to hear the alumni as far as like whether or not there were jobs and all that. I really can't speak to that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So before we get to and we'll talk Alex, we'll talk about other candidates, let's discuss Sean, your opinion on exactly why this went down when it went down. The timing still is a little and I've had some conversations that is give me a little bit more clarity, But the timing is still a little bit like, I don't know, do you let them just finish out the season And you know, they're already paying Larry and now they're paying Craig.
Speaker 2: They're paying two coaches not to coach the team.
Speaker 1: And you know, and Sean, we can be reductive, and I'm sure Craig, who's a honest, straight shooter, what's I didn't win enough so we can just lean into results period. I've been told that there is a booster element to this. People did not love the direction of the program. You compare to what BYU's building and how they look right now.
Speaker 2: A lot of people up here are not thrilled with the direction. So what's your take on why this went down and when it went down?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I would say that there and Josh shit this on the head that I think in his what he talked about Last year, the Oregon State loss was a tough loss for us, and this year the UCF loss was a very tough loss. We had just that glimmer of hope. I mean, I was on your show saying that we're going to go three and two, and I really believe that, you know, and then you have that tough loss way of nineteen turnowds. We don't play the way we want to play. As far as timing, there's probably no good timing. And I want to extend courtesy to the staff. We spend a lot of time with these coaches, and one of the toughest things is the coaches that are on the staff. They don't get fired. The head coach gets fired, But the coaches that are there are even a tougher predicament now because now Coach Smith is gone, Coach Ilot's going to step in, and the other coaches are going to do their best to pick up for these student athletes who are also dealing with confusion. I would say, absolutely, there's no good time. This is makes sense in the regard that if you look out in the NCAA, I think there are five openings at a high level right now, and we know that the transfer portal puts all kinds of pressure on college basketball from within your program and from without your from outside the program. So I would say that even though there's no initially good timing, I understand this timing as far as shoes involved. I mean, obviously Taylor Randall and Mark Harlan are doing their very best. The administration is doing their very best to meet a lot of people's thoughts about what Utah men's basketball should be, and yeah, Spence, you're right, it hasn't been what it should be. I mean, the bottom line is we need to make the NCAA Tournament, and we need to be a regular in the NCAA Tournament. I think that's what we all expect and have grown to expect through those that era that Majeri's coached.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm glad you ended your answer with that, because there was luck. And I very much like Craig, and I do think he's a good coach. I don't think this will be the final chapter of his coaching journey. He's still very young, He's wanted places he's been prior to and I do feel bad for Craig, and I feel bad first fan. You know, a nice five million dollars, so parachute helps, you know. Yeah, my father wasn't a coach, but he was an executive in sports for thirty years. We uprooted several times. That's it's hard on a family. It's hard on children. So there's a human element to this stuff that I don't think we do a very good job of acknowledging in our business.
Speaker 2: I wanted to hammer it home.
Speaker 1: But yeah, one of the things Sean that I thought of pretty quickly was oh, okay, good, this standard is not okay with decision makers up there because it's been way too long since we've had to It's twenty sixteen was our last tournament team.
Speaker 2: I mean we're coming up on a decade.
Speaker 1: We should have the standard in this city that our basketball team either goes to the tournament every year or is knocking on the door every year.
Speaker 2: I truly feel that way.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree with you.
Speaker 6: And to go back to that twenty sixteen, one of the interesting thoughts about the end of Larry's coaching career, it was the Pac Twelte wasn't as strong as we would have hoped it would have been. Right, So they end up in the top four four years in a row, and I think they only make the tournament one of those years. So that's kind of a mix of bad luck and being in a league that maybe didn't get the same kind of attention. Now, the Big twelve is the league where you can make the tournament. You have to have the right system in place, the right people in place, and certainly bringing former Utah athletes into this mix as potential coaches can make a really big difference, I mean an amazing difference.
Speaker 2: And we'll get there.
Speaker 1: But before we do, tell me about conversations you've had with Josh Eiland. I don't know, Josh. I would imagine we'll get him on the show. I know that he was a interim head coach prior to a West Virginia. I don't really even know what the nature of his relationship was with Craig. But what do you know about the interim head coach Josh Eiland.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, quite a bit, right, And so we've had the opportunity to spend time with the coaches. He's a Kansas kid from a small town family man, really really well respected everywhere we go in this league, either the rest or the other coaches. I just had a coach in our last game at UCF stop me as we're walking out and say, hey, make sure you say hi to Josh. Josh didn't make the last game because he's sick. Coach Ilt didn't make the game. He's a straight shooter. You know exactly what you get. He was doing probably half of the scouts this year. Typically it would be he and JJ, coach Smith's right hand guy. So you're getting the coach that knows the league. You're getting to coach that is in an unenviable position again two years in a row of being an interim head coach and potentially not having a job next year.
Speaker 1: Well, and he also coached under Bob Huggins, So you know, he probably, as you know, probably probably has a lot of a lot of great stories about coaching under Bob. So I don't think Josh is a candidate. I don't know this. We'll see what he's able to do. So before we move into what's next, what do you you know, we're all recalibrating now, right, So what do you expect on this team moving forward?
Speaker 2: After these players have lost the coach.
Speaker 1: I feel like most of them liked playing for I don't have any inside information there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I think it's the craziest thing ever. I mean, this is basically all Bill and our sound engineers. Though you're guys, though we've been talking about, right, what's gonna how's the team going to respond? I mean, I don't think the team had any idea this was coming in, so I'm sure they're a shot. They flew home after UCF, so we're actually in Tucson right now waiting for them. They're going to come in to day at five forty five. We're all staying at the same hotel. You know, it's going to be interesting to see just their body language tomorrow. So I think there are two different directions you go. You know, you kind of shore up as an athlete and you decide what you're made of and uh, and you figure some things out for yourself. And if you can do that, maybe you can be competitive against Arizona. That's the one I'm hoping for. Or you kind of say, you know, forget this. Uh, if they don't care about us, you know who knows. But I want you to know the administration and the people that are in charge, they spent their time connecting with these athletes, these student athletes and land them know what's going on and where they're going. So they know they're cared about.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 1: And we'll see how they respond because I mean, you know, I certainly I think it would be difficult as a young player to lose the guy who you came to play for. And maybe a little rally around Coach Eyler will have to see. But let's move on to what's next. And this is what's always interesting, Sean, because as you know, with the ecosystem of college basketball, every year there are very very enticing candidates that are coaching at smaller schools that have that have had have had a lot of success and ultimately if they're able to make the tournament. It's one of the things I love about March Madness, watching somebody have their live change, lives changed in real time. Like you make a little bit of a run, suddenly you go from like your Eric Olsen at U see San Diego and you make you don't like And I could go over the James Right, there's Nico medved to Colorado State, There's Eric Henderson at South Dakota State.
Speaker 2: Like you know the list.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that portion of this pool before we get to the names that everybody's already talking about. If you're Mark Harlan, even though you're hearing the Alex Jensen's, the Johnny Bryants de Andre Millers of the world, do you try to go that route to get a more conventional hire as it pertains to the macro view of college basketball that typically happens that ride of passage, or do you not look at that route, because that's essentially what you just did with Craig.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, I absolutely think you look at that route. I think you look at it all. You would be remiss, Spence, if you and I were hiring for a job in our business we would try and find the absolute best person for that job.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no.
Speaker 6: Question that a Utah alumni if they can, if they can meet the requirements to coach. I mean, that's a natural fit for so many people. But there are some great coaches out there, and I agree with you. I think the greatest thing about college basketball is that story of working your way up. That's one of Craig's stories. It was a good story, right. I want that for whoever comes in next. I mean obviously we you and I and the people and the fans out there that care. Josh Grant, everyone cares about this program, and we want what's best for this program and putting a new system in place that is bigger, maybe than what we have currently or what we've had since twenty sixteen. A system in which you know, U TIH men's basketball has a chance to flourish, and the people that are going to put money into that are interested in putting money into that. I think I heard you talking about that earlier. It's a big time deal, but I opened it up to everybody.
Speaker 1: So now let's move over to the names that people are excited about. And Sean, I'm not usually a like, hey, let's win the press conference. Guy, Like, there's so many things that are so important in the long run and playing the long game of building a program.
Speaker 2: But I think in this case you might need to a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I do think a Jensen as head coach, Andre Miller is assistant coach announcement inundates the department, the ticket department up there with people interested in actually getting behind this group. I just think it's a basketball community that has nearly been flatlined for way too long, and so.
Speaker 2: Let's invigorate it a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I do think an Alex Jensen head coach andre Miller assistant coach would really excite this basketball community.
Speaker 2: So give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean obviously, I told Bill. I mean so one of the things that I had when I first got this job last year being the voice of the youth sidekick was Sloak DeMarlo Slocum and Chris Burgess. I both understood slow coach with Tommy and Burge was a player from a jurist, There's like this automatic affinity, so like I often got my keys from Burge and tried to understand what we're doing based on what in Burge took the time to help me with that. You know, Alex Jensen and Andrew on mean, come on that they we all, to Josh's point, we all see basketball through coach Majaris, and so to have those two players in that era, which we know our fans love, come back and start something new, create something new, it'd be fantastic. It would be I would understand it in a way, Spence that you understand eating almonds are safe for you?
Speaker 1: Well played? Look, I hope they are. We'll find out maybe an hour from now. You know what, I haven't even what what about Birge? What about Chris Burgess? I mean, is that a phone call you make?
Speaker 6: Why not? I mean, and again, like these are solely my opinions. I am not, you know, giving you like the guy that I think it is. But I'm just playing with you. Yeah, heck, yes, you give me a call. I mean, Chris Burgess, they're a great coach, he understands. Utah, Well he's been there twice.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, no, that's right.
Speaker 1: And you know, I don't fault anybody for parlaying success into a better contract and a better job, which he's done a couple of times and maybe this is a part where you take over up here, So.
Speaker 2: Let's move over now.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about Johnny Johnny Bryan. Josh didn't seem to entertain that very much. I like him, I always have. He's always been really good to me. When I was with the Jazz and he was over there as an assistant working with Donovan, I often kind of picked his brain about Donovan's process. And Johnny's also credited with the evolution and the growth of Gordon Hayward. Now he's the associate head coach for a really good team. And I feel about Johnny now the way I felt about Alex five years ago.
Speaker 2: I just think he's going to get a head coaching job in the pros.
Speaker 1: Now Josh leaned into the dynamic of HM being more of a developmental coach. Well, that's kind of Alex's gig in the pros. Alex was a g League head coach.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: So what are your thoughts on the potential of contacting Johnny Brian to see if he'd be interested in coming back to his alma mater.
Speaker 6: I mean, absolutely, I understand what Josh is saying. I don't. I mean, Johnny Briant's a great development coach, but he's an associate head coach in the NBA. I mean, again, let's open the list to everybody. I'm not the one that has to go through that list, right, You're not the one that has to go through that list, but there would be no reason not to. And then you want to get him in an interview, and you want to know what he's all about. I mean, he sounds like he could be a good fit. Like I talked to Phil Colan, a good friend of mine today who's in San Antonio's management, and one of the things that Phil Colan told me today was that all these NBA teams know exactly what's going on at the collegiate level, and this model that we have at the collegiate level right now is a model very similar to their model. So I mean, yes, of course you want to bring Jhnny Bryant, and he's probably going to understand this modern model of getting athletes into your program or your system as well as anybody.
Speaker 1: All Right, before I set you loose, you know, it's just I'll just tell you my opinion. Okay, my opinion is watching Utah basketball this year, I feel like Craig was entering Jim's with less talent than the other head coach most of the time.
Speaker 2: That's my opinion.
Speaker 1: Now, the problem is, this isn't the pros where the general manager and the VP of basketball ops are building your roster. If you're the head coach, you're responsible for the talent on your roster as well. So that also comes down on Craig, at least partially. So my question, Sean is whoever this coach is?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So if we played the scenario out a little bit, and let's say it's Alex and Mark calls Alex Jensen and Alex picks up the phone, I can promise you Alex is gonna want to know what shape are we in with Nil? What shape are we in with the collective? Am I able to keep up with my peers? Can we get talent based off of the economics of the program right now? The infrastructure around the coach has to be as sound as ever in college basketball these days? Is the infrastructure at Utah Basketball where it needs to be?
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think from a talent standpoint, having now been all the way to the Big twelve, we have talented kids one of our rules, and one of my rules through the last twenty five years, is how many of those kids could play next level? And if you look at some of the teams we're playing, the Big twelve is actually not as talented at moving kids to the NBA as the PAC twelve was. Last year. I think the PAC twelve had nine players and the Big twelve had four.
Speaker 3: But the Big twelve has a lot of really good.
Speaker 6: College basketball players, which we need. Alex Jensen, Johnny Bryant, my goodness, my brain just stopped. Andrew Miller. I mean, these guys are going to have a connection to money and the potential of creating a larger annail budget that possibly another cook coming from a smaller school would not. So that can make a big difference and that may be a big part of what the decision is for the administration.
Speaker 1: All right, John, last thing, you know, Michaeale Arizona. That's the first game that the kench Eiler has to deal with here in Arizona's going to be grumpy after getting got by breaking me on.
Speaker 2: So tell me what you're expecting tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Is the Utes invade a really tough place to play in college basketball.
Speaker 3: Yes, Spence, and listen.
Speaker 6: If you haven't been down here, I'm I'm We're gonna get you a ticket. You need to come down and watch a game here. It's a great place to watch a game. Here's what I'm expecting. If our energy is good and we can defend them in transition. This team is scary in transition. If we cannot give up transition buckets and we can have the kind of rebounding energy that we've had, it could be I mean, listen, Arizona's better than we are, okay, but it could be something that we compete and who knows, maybe the Utah School shock them twice. Maybe Tony Padi is a referend tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So very nice, very nice, all right, Sean, Well, I appreciate it. Man, have a great call. Thanks for the time. Say travels.
Speaker 6: Thanks brother.
Speaker 2: How good day, Sean Mooney. I'll be on the call with Bill Riley.
Speaker 1: The Utes invade Michale tomorrow to get Arizona team, who's going to be very grumpy after what happened against BYU. Speaking of Bill Riley, sets your alarm four o'clock today. Riles will stop by the voice of the Utes. After that, it's roxy Bernstein. But after a quick break, we'll do some MBA with Zach Harper Sean Mooney. Brought to you today by our good friends at Advanced Window Products.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal.
Speaker 1: If you are in the market for windows right now, you have to call them today. But if you anticipate being in the market, you know, if you're going to maybe sell your house in the fall or something, or maybe you're looking to buy a place, call today as well. Because if you call today and lock in an appointment just to get them to analyze your current situation, you will dial in twenty five hundred dollars off when you purchase ten windows or more. So the number is eighth one eighty five zero ninety one hundred. That's eighth one, eight five zero ninety one hundred. The website is Advanced Windows dot com. I'm talking Nate Orchard, Mayor of Sac League City, Jake Weber, good friends of the program, local company, great people that want to take care of you. They build install guarantee for life. It's a lifetime warranty that's transferable to that homeowner from the factory at your front door at eight weeks or less. Financing available, you can save now and pay later payments as low as one hundred and fifty dollars a month, so they will make sure your budget is taken care of. So give him a call and advanced window products at eight oh one eighty five zero ninety one hundred. That's eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred. You're not gonna get me down. It's like fifty two degrees in sunny outside. You can even play pitfull and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to bring you up.
Speaker 2: It's not working. Well, you're not gonna bring me down.
Speaker 1: NBA Daily Assist Zach Harper, Tuesday afternoon. I'm bragging about fifty two degrees in sunny? What's it like where you're at?
Speaker 3: I had to turn the air conditioner on because it's played eighty All.
Speaker 1: Right, never mind? Uh? Are you in La proper?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Where's home for you?
Speaker 3: I'm in I'm in Sherman Oaks. I'm in the valley.
Speaker 2: Oh, hipster just over the hill? Yeah, okay, right on, man, it's not hipster. I'm poor.
Speaker 3: I'm the money to live out.
Speaker 2: Where's the uh is it? Silver Lake? Where do all the hipsters live?
Speaker 7: Silver Lake?
Speaker 3: Little Rock? Locally, he's like all that. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I refuse to live east.
Speaker 1: That happened, all right, fair enough, fair enough, all right, Zach. There's a game in Los Angeles tonight. I don't know if you've heard about it.
Speaker 2: I think where I'm at with it is Lucas saves the whole, like try to drop fifty form when he's in Dallas? What do you what do you think tonight?
Speaker 3: Looks like, Yeah, he's only like really played one good game, right, He's only I think played three games total, but he's only played one good game. He's looked rough in the in the other ones, and so like, I don't think this is one for him. Like, I know he played really well against Denver, but I don't know that you expect a rhythm and a chemistry with his teammates that kind of allows him to just go out there and drop fifty. I do think it makes more sense. I think when they when are they in Dallas, like April ninth or something like that, I think that's when it makes sense to like make your statement now if I think, I think if he's got a cook and today, if he's feeling good, if he's hitting shots early, yeah, his teammates are gonna feed him, He's gonna light him up. But I do think you're too early in the process of getting back from the calf injury and too early in the process of building what you need with your Laker teammates. If you're Luca like you, you can't be in this like I'm gonna absolutely dominate this game no matter what.
Speaker 2: What is your way?
Speaker 1: Too early takeaway on what you think this thing can look like this season? I mean, the interesting thing is the jazz song twice right away, and it didn't look great in either game. I think Luca dropped thirty two against Denver, and so we do have one. We do have one good game from Luca. I still believe there their lack of just even decent big men on paper, let alone in execution, is gonna cost them. But you know, with these two, it's certainly gonna look really, really good at times. But so far, what do you think and what are you expecting just the rest of the way this year with Lebron and Luca together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there's gonna be times where it looks really good offensively, right, and there will be times where the defense does look fine. But I think it's gonna be more smoking mirrors than than actually something that works in the playoffs, because I mean, when's the last time you found out a team signed Alex lenn and you're like, oh, that's really good for them, right, because that's where they're big man situation, Like Jackson Hayes is terrible, right, I'd get it. He can go catch a lob, he can run the floor, he's athletic, he's terrible defensively, and someone that they can't even rely to have out there twenty twenty five minutes a game. And so they're still playing pretty small. You know, they had an interesting scheme against against Jokic and trying to make sure he didn't get any shots off, and it worked that night. So I think random Knights in the regular season they're gonna look fine, but you get to a playoff scenario, it's gonna be very matchup dependent, as is the case with a decent amount of teams in the West, but it's gonna be very matchup dependent. I think like I could see a pathway where they get the right matchups, they're healthy, they get into the conference finals. I think like there is a chance of that, but most likely this is at best a second round and out team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of where I've landed. And you know, matchups, injuries, you never know. It could have come playoff time. But I mean, look, man, when they were here, Walker Lowry and John Collins got whatever they wanted, Like, they had no pushback for the Jazz front line. If they're struggling with the Jazz front line, they're gonna struggle with other front lines.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it was like that was the thing. Is the first game Luca didn't play well, and you're like, yeah, but the Lakers one because it's the Jazz, right, And then they went to Utah and I was like, oh no, this none of this looks good. It was to the point where I didn't even start watching the game at first. I turned it on because I looked at the score and the Jazz were up a significant amount. I looked at the score, Jazz are up, and then I was like, oh, well, I guess Luca didn't play tonight, and it's like, nope, he's playing, Lebron's playing. This is just bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it was really bad.
Speaker 1: Let me let me get one jazz topic in here, because I do think there's one one thing rotationally that Will's done that actually is real. I mean mostly this is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
Speaker 2: We all know that.
Speaker 1: So like, ultimately, whether Kyle Philipowski is starting when Walker is hurt is not okay, great, and Kyle actually played pretty well against the Blazers. But we have seen Keyonte now kind of embrace this role off the bench, and we've seen Isaiah Collier as a starting point guard. He's about to break John Stockton's record for assis as a rookie. Now, John played behind Ricky Green, so it's not like he was starting and getting you know, getting a bunch. But this is something that I think could manifest itself as meaningful as opposed to all the other meaningless conversations we try to have about a team that's unserious about winning. So Isaiah Collier as the starting point guard, what has he's shown you and Keyonte, now that he's embraced this role, coming off the bench, looks a little bit more comfortable as opposed to them relying on Kyante to be the main initiator and decision maker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean kind of what we were talking about with Kiante for a little bit is the same. I field about like the shots mostly look good, don't really go in right, But I like his size. I do think it's important to note that this was like one of the top prospects in his in his class, uh in high school, and then he went to USC where apparently they're just trying to destroy anyone's pro prospects the last couple of years because it just doesn't look good. And so I do think he I don't think he had the proper development last year. Getting into the mix, getting comfortable, getting up to speed has taken a little bit of time. But I like what he's what he's shown for the most part. I think his decision making for the positions he's put in pretty good and and his skill set is pretty good. I love I mean, look it was it was a little flurry last night. I love the way they were just like, you know, trying to extend the game, and Kiante was just fearless taking those shots at the end of the game, right, I mean, I think that was I think that's kind of the role I like for Kiante. I just don't think about it, like if you're going to come off the bench and be you know, kind of that super sub I do want him just kind of letting it fly. I do want him just pushing the temple. I do want him being a little chaotic, because that's that's kind of what you need in your guards off the bench of when you're a bad team, Like you just need someone to change the energy and make something happen.
Speaker 1: I am going to reach and stretch to try to make a topic out of potentially nothing. But I have seen kJ Martin play well in NBA games before, and he is he got a start for the Jazz and he's kind of the one tangible piece the Jazz received when they were the condu. It's all these deals going down and he's still young and he can I mean, he can fly.
Speaker 2: Man, He's a really good athlete. You've seen him play.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a chance that they bring kJ Martin in with the opportunity to look at him and he might be around for more than a minute?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Like he's I think for years A mean, al has and I have been like, why isn't Justin holiday rich right, Like, why isn't he getting like these big deals because we've watched him he's like he's this really nice three and D guy, shoots the ball well, doesn't really make mistakes. But he's ever like really had, you know, or been given that extended opportunity to be a role player consistently on a good team, And I've just been amazed that he hasn't found his way into that and then found his way into a big contract because of it. I'm starting to wonder, I kJ Martin's going to be that next Justin Holiday for me, and not that he's the shooter that Holiday is, but I just think like he's got so much defensive impact potentially with his athleticism and how he plays. I think he's such a threat running the floor, obviously getting up and down at the rim. If he can just be a consistent corner three point shooter, I think that's a super valuable role player. Like I'm a big kJ Martin fan. I was a little surprised that he didn't get a chance with Philly as much, although they're you know, they've been a mess, I know, but I just thought that everywhere he's gone, whether it's been the clippershether it's in Philly, doesn't matter. Like I just think that that's a guy you can mold into a really good role player.
Speaker 1: So after the news broke about women Yama, I was bosh right. My first thought was Chris bosh And you know, all the information we receive, uh, and we talked to Habershaw about this yesterday seems to indicate the Spurs are confident that this is just a little bit of a blitz. And you know, with stuff like this, I'm not going to be the media guy that looked at web MD and he's gonna break down what a blood cloud means. But you gotta shut him down and make sure he's on blood dinners and then ultimately a full recovery. My question is, does San Antonio lose the final twenty five games in Draft Cooper Flag?
Speaker 3: They should?
Speaker 2: They will?
Speaker 3: I mean they might. We're to be in a race of Philadelphia, but yeah, like they should. I mean, this is you know this it's not exactly nineteen ninety seven all over again, but you know, you could see see some similarities there. You know that you like, it's a different timeline and everything, but you know there's once Wendy went down, like I was kind of wit you. I was, I'm like, all right, as long as he's okay, great. It doesn't seem like his you know, long term career is going to be effect did amazing. All right, so go get one of these guys, like that's the whole thing. Like Steph Castle looks like a player that got you know, good wings with Vasel and Kelvin Johnson. Obviously, picking up Darren Fox is big, Like, all right, go get another one of those guys. And if you have Cooper Flag or Ace Bailey or one of these dudes next to Wemby, that's super enticing. And then you know the terrible thing is you know the report about about Pop and you know it never and once we found out it was a mild stroke, Like I don't care if the word mild is in there. He's seventy six, Like it just never. I never was like, yeah, he definitely should come back to coaching. To me, I was like, just go take care of yourself and live the great rest of your life and be with your family and everything, and maybe be a consultant in the organization. But I mean, if you have it's already going to be the most enticing coaching position in sports. If you added another piece to that, I mean, my god, like you'd have everyone coming for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to be insensitive if they drive Cooper flag popably, like just wheel me out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm coaching the team, right.
Speaker 1: You know, people will be in line to coach that team if they're able to grab him. Can you imagine the reaction from the league and the Salt Lake City because look, man, I feel like it's our time. Okay, I'm gonna go goonies on you. I feel like we've earned it all right. Every time we've been in the lottery, We've never moved up, never won a championship, haven't had a championship contending team here since ninety eight up. For honest, if there's one team that's earned the number one pick Zach a White power forward, it's the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean, like I've been in these, you know, group chats with people are like where we know, where should Cooper go? Where should the NBA want Cooper to go? And I get it, like you could want him to go to San Antonio. You could want him to go to you know, New Orleans. I guess so that seems like a disaster. You could want him to save one of these bad franchises. Who's just kind of meandering all the time, like a Charlotte or a Washington or whatever. Get him to Brooklyn to help bump up the rest of that New York market. All those things are great, it's not gonna it's not gonna be a better story than putting on him on the Utah Jazz. It's not like we can call it what it is, like a star white Power Forward on the Jazz that is going to move ratings and numbers and jerseys and tickets and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: I want to cater to the audience here for a second. Let's put our let's put our thinking caps on. Let's get into our imagination space and picture an opening lineup next year of Walker Keshler at Center Lowry Marketing at Power Forward, Cooper Flag at Small Forward. Then they make a deal for Grady Dick at the two and TJ McConnell at the one. I mean, come on, box office, we have just fixed the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 3: Look. Everyone made fun of David Kahn when it was like Kevin Love and Pekovich and Loup Bridden Now and Alexi spid and Andre Kiirlenko. Everyone made fun of David Kahan. But I bet they'll love Danny Inge and love Justin Zannik if they figured this out.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Jimmiferdat out of retirement coming off bench and we are dialed in, man, do you think.
Speaker 3: Do you think? Do you think he can he can get away from from nothing right now to get a job with NBA.
Speaker 2: Isn't he doing three on three?
Speaker 3: Does that is that year round? I don't thought that was once every four years? Does a half court over there? Go go represent ive?
Speaker 1: I don't know what Jimmer is doing these days. I know he lives in Colorado. I mean, he made enough money and maybe he's just yelling.
Speaker 3: He's not in the Big Three right and he's not playing in China anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. By the way, have you watched What's that?
Speaker 1: I just saw it on the DVR because my DVR is like every time I turn it on and it's like you seem to like sports or here's a sport feel it's like one on one.
Speaker 2: It's a one on one tournament. Have you watched any of this?
Speaker 3: No? No, I'm at a point in my life I watch NBA or w NBA basketball. That's what I watch. I don't even have time for college anymore.
Speaker 2: All right, you're not watching any shows, but you gotta watch movies for the pod, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I watched movies. I mean, look, I've almost bringed whatever episodes of Love Is Blind or here like. Look, I'm doing other things. I just I can't. That's stuff where I can turn my brain off, right right. This is like if I'm gonna have to pay attention to another basketball league, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm with you. I'm with you there.
Speaker 1: But we are fixing the Utah Jazz one good white player at a time, so we'll have to see if it goes down.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Do you take anything from Minnesota's come back last night? I mean, Oka see rested chet and they lost Hartenstein in the second quarter, but Minnesota was able to come back from twenty four down, which does not happen very often.
Speaker 2: Did that do anything for you?
Speaker 1: Either tell you about Okac at all or maybe Minnesota playing a bit better.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we're seeing a lot recently of Minnesota. Just like, hey, when Julius Randall's not out there, it looks a lot better, right, Like, it looks a lot better. And so like you know, Nazrita is headed for a big payday and and I think, you know, I think Minnesota is in a pretty good place, especially considering them and had really much recently. Like I think they're in a pretty good place. But for OKC, Look, I have concerns about a team that never is tested, right, Like they're zero to four games decided by one possession, which is whatever. They blow out almost every I want to say, like thirty seven of their forty six wins are double digit wins, Like they're not in close games. And as good as they are and they are historic and they're historically dominant, this is still a very young, playoff inexperienced team and they didn't play in a way against Dallas in the second round last year they made me think like, oh, they're right on the cusp, like they kind of choked that series away. And so when they get into those type moments, they're still very unproven and I don't think it's just a lock that they make it to the conference final. So this is still a team that has to prove themselves in the postseason, and little moments like last night you can just brush them off as like, hey, it's a back to back for both teams and it was fluky and yeah, sure all that stuff can be and probably is true, but we got to see them win some tight games here. Like it feels a little bit like the Milwaukee Bucks before they got Drew Holliday, where they were just blowing teams out all the time. Then they got to the postseason, it was like, Ooh, they don't really know what to do here.
Speaker 1: If you were putting a sizeable amount of money on who comes out of the West, like for me, I think I think I bet on Denver right now, even though okay, see, by every metric is the best team in the conference. Playoffs are different, and every time I hone in on Jokic, I'm like, yep, he's still the dude. And if they can knock down shots because he provides good looks almost every possession, I still think that you have to look at them as even though the Vegas favorite is not Denver, it is okay, seeing the metrics favorite Oklahoma City in a seven game series, I might roll with jokis where are you at?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would also put my money on Denver, And look, I get like, during that what was it, eight or nine game win streak, whatever it was, people were like, oh, it's a soft schedule for sure, but this has gone beyond that win streak, Like, this is a team that has been pretty dominant since I think it was I think on my date right, I think it was December seventh, was when Yokiics dropped a career high fifty six and they lost to the Wizards and they dropped to like eleven and ten. Since then, they've been the third best team in the NBA in terms of record. I think they've been the third or fourth best team in terms of net rating. Like this Nuggets team has figured it out. They've got to be healthy. They don't have a margin of air for if their health isn't you know, close to one hundred percent when when they get to the postseason. But if they're healthy, like, I'll take them over anybody in the list.
Speaker 1: I didn't anticipate doing any Pistons talk today, but they've won seventh straight. And what I try to do here with the Jazz for our listeners is look at teams that not too long ago were in the spot and Detroit is kind of one of them. Orlando's another one. But you know, Caid Pollo, they've got stars that we don't have here, But what do you make of what has been a pretty impressive turnaround. They've won seven straight, eight of their last ten. As far as what they're doing in Detroit that might be working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, they were one of the worst teams I've ever seen last year. Yep, and I during pretty much the entirety of that season. But once we got through halfway through that that you know, twenty eight game, losing the streak, I kind of had this feeling like, I don't really think Monty Williams is given us all here, and wouldn't it be great to get fired with seventy million dollars left on your contract? Right? Like it just kind of seemed like he knew what to do in terms of what his long term best case scenario was. And all right, they added some veterans like Molik Beasley who didn't pan out in Milwaukee. You know, he came in and he has been phenomenal. Like he's on pace to have like one of the six or seventh best three point shooting seasons ever, and so he's been great. Tobias Harris came in and he's been pretty solid. But for the most part, this is a lot of what we saw last year in terms of the group, and JB. Bickerstaff is just a really good coach. I didn't think he should get fired in Cleveland. It ended up working out for them, but I didn't think the process was good. I thought he did a great job, and he's doing a great job now. I think that's the problem. If you're looking at the Jazz and you're saying, well, how can we do that? The problem is one you don't have a kid Cunningham right, who's who's taken a leap and been very good. But two Will Hardy's a good coach. He's out here looking like he wants to get fired every night. And so that turnaround for the Pistons I think was more coaching in culture than it was. It was development. And and with the Jazz like they've got a good coach, so I don't I don't think that they would necessarily fall into that pattern.
Speaker 2: I agree, man, I think he's an elite coach. I really do.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if the Jazz don't get any lottery luck and if they if they don't, like if the Jazz this year fall to like the fifth pick or the sixth pick or whatever, missed out, miss out on the top three or four dudes, same thing next year, and then his contract expires. What does he do if we're sitting here two years from now, none of this luck comes our way. They're not able to execute any trades for anything substantial, and it's it's five full years of Will doing the best he can to maximize the talent that he gets, but he's not receiving the talent that allows him to compete night in and night out. Like they love him and they want him here forever, and I get it, But what does Will do if his contract expires and we're still kind of spinning our wheels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I haven't heard anything like about his frustrations or anything like. I think he seems pretty happy there. I think he likes the organization. I think he wants to build long term. He seems like that kind of guy. So if I'm his agent, I would be like, well, it hasn't really worked out in terms of getting him the players he wants, so he's gonna need a lot of money to stay right, Like, I think it just comes down to that. I don't think unless there's just an offer where he's blown away and it's a perfect scenario that he can't pass up. I wouldn't anticipate him getting out of Utah. I would anticipate him cashing in on that opportunity because you are you do then kind of have the jazz at a disadvantage in terms of negotiations. But I do think it does just it feels like one of those situations where he is the law term solution on both ends of that equation.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: But the interesting thing is, you know, with the way these guys are wired like and money makes everything taste a little bit better. I'm not saying it doesn't, but when it comes to simply wins and losses, if you don't feel like you can compete in the job that you have because you're not giving the you know, you're not giving the things that you need to have what your peers have across the landscape of the league, will just strikes me as the type of guy that And this is all hypothetical because I mean this is two years away, but I do think you know, I feel, and I have felt for a while. You know, they found marketing that's a real piece, and they've got the head coach that's a real piece. I almost have question marks about everything else. Maybe Walker's playing himself into the conversation. I just have to wonder if Will's looking at his win loss on his resume, his record, and he's saying, this is not going to look good for me historically speaking, Yes, money would be nice, But these guys are wired to win, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just, I mean, you're right. I just I also think they're wired with a love of ego that and I don't even mean that in a pejorative way, but like they're wired in terms of ego of like, oh yeah, we'll figure it out here, right Like they're not They're not out of talent, Like there is talent. There's more potential on that roster than anything really tangible. But I would anticipate because of how good Danny and Justin are at their jobs, and I would imagine the communication process is pretty is pretty stable there between front office and sidelines. I just I don't think he's gonna have any questions about what the plan is and how they try to execute it. Now, they may have the bad luck of the lottery and all this stuff, right like that, there's nothing you can really do about that. But I just look. And I don't know the guy at all, but I just don't. I don't think he's someone who'd be like, ooh, I'm worried about you know what my record is long term? Like I don't think Brett Brown was thinking that way when he was in Philly, right. I think it was an opportunity and he liked coaching there and it didn't work out and they got rich of him. But I don't think he sweated that because I think I think guys like that are are looking at those situations and saying, when we turn it around, all that stuff's gonna be irrelevant.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Philly, what what what do you do?
Speaker 1: I mean like they got und you got they got undressed by the the bulls hung one on them.
Speaker 2: What are they lost? Eight straight? Like like what how do they? How do they get out of this?
Speaker 3: Okay? Surgery? So you give you give Joel embiid surgery tomorrow and you say, hey, we'll see in September, Like, well, you're gonna rehab, you're gonna get in great shape, You're gonna get the rest you need, You're gonna get the rehab you need for this knee surgery. And and you just shoot for for next season and maybe even bring them along slowly into the start of next season. Like the awards, the sixty five game rule, all that stuff is irrelevant. Getting into the playing tournament now is irrelevant. Even if you get healthy by April, you're not gonna do anything. That team's not good enough. And I never bought them as contenders. I didn't think they beat this obviously, But like this is all about, you have a very small window moving forward with a lot of money owed to dwell Embiid and a lot of money owed to Paul George, and a lot of money owed to Tyrus Maxi. And unless you are going to make a major shift in altering that roster, which I don't think they're even really all that capable of doing if they wanted to, you have to. You know, it's kind of like the Clippers conversation the last few years. You got to just find a way to set yourself up to catching lightning in a bottle with this group, or you start letting guys walk. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon with the way the contracts are structured. So get embead surgery now and hope that that's what fixes the problem for them and fixes the problem for his knee, because there is no there's no like, mister Miaghi, We're gonna, you know, rub this thing in the playoffs and it's gonna magically heal and we're gonna march to a championship. There's no Disney movie here. There's no incredible like film noir that happens like this is going to be bad if you don't go this pass, and even if you do go this path, it might still be bad. You have terrible luck with this, But there is there's no magical cure that isn't surgery and rest for Joel embiid.
Speaker 2: Did you watch Cobra Kai.
Speaker 3: I watched like three seasons of it, and it just even for me, it got too ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought it would be right down your alley. It is horrifically awesome.
Speaker 3: The first season is right up right up until the end.
Speaker 1: Man that they somehow someway find a way to be horrifically awesome until the very end.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised you didn't finish it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I got to the point I've had people like, oh, you gotta finish it, and I am a completionist on some level, So there's part of me that wants to. But I mean, we had like karate gangs in the valley in la that's where the story goes. Keep the bloods and the crips. But karate Dojo's what are we talking? Like? What am I watching?
Speaker 1: You're missing out on Daniel Laruzo being kidnapped and put into a cage with snakes and he escapes by picking the lock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard, I heard Terry Silver comes back, which I do like that because Karate Kid three is super underrated. But like one, I've had this. I've had this take for a long time. Nobody is with me on it, but it is. It is a fact. The Jaden Smith Karate Kid is better than the original. Oh stop it and guess what. Jaden Smith, as terrible as he is, is a better actor than Ralph Macchio. Go watch Cobra Kay and tell me Ralph Macchio is any kind of decent actor. He's terrible.
Speaker 2: I'm not here to stand up for Macchio's actor shot doing.
Speaker 3: No, that's what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I'm not, but I will not stand for the slander of the original Karate Kid, which was a gem of a movie.
Speaker 3: No offense to the amazing Pat mur either rip. Give me Jackie Chan all day.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jackie Chan.
Speaker 3: Whoever played Daniel's mother in the first one, Give me Taraji p Henson all day?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: The tough part about Cobra Kai for me, like Larusso's daughter would get her ass kicked against a five year old like she is not you know, like you know, like and they try. She's like the baddest female karate fighter on the planet, Like you know, she couldn't fight a way out of a wet paper bag. But it is unbelievably entertaining, horrifically until the end.
Speaker 2: You need to finish it, man.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know if I have that in me. How alseome I I mean, I'm just gonna I would That's the problem, is I fire? I like turn Netflix on. I mean, I either have a new terrible season of Love Is Blind that I can't stop watching, or just go to like Seinfelder, I think you should leave and just would rather watch those again.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, there's not enough time to watch all the things.
Speaker 2: I get it all right, Before I set you loose?
Speaker 1: Are you buying any of this Golden State Warrior reborn again, hype that they could be a problem come playoff time after the Butler deal, and they've won three straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they won. They won three straight. I think are five and one with Butler in the lineup. I'm not I'm not not buying it. I'm actually writing about this for for the newsletter tomorrow. It's a free newsletter's called the Bounce Get at the Athletic dot com slash abouts one of a few things we do for free. I'm I'm I'm trying to figure out if I buy it and everything like, Look, it's coming out of Draymond's mouth, so a huge silo of salt comes with it. But the way he's presenting it in this article that that Marcus Thompson and Sam Amic wrote I think two days ago on the on the Athletic. The way he's presenting it, I kind of get it. I get the logic, and I do think a big part of it is you could see throughout this season they did not believe that they were the better team in a lot of these games, and with their offensive struggles, it was just rough with Jimmy there, he does bring that that gravitas. He does bring that confidence, and I get it. People are sick of the heat, They're sick of Jimmy Butler. This man does these things. If any scenario was gonna be like Rashid Wallace going to the Pistons in two thousand and four, it would be Jimmy Butler going to the Warriors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one of those dudes. There's no argument there, And I just cannot believe. At least admit you were emotional when Miggy Miguel Diaz was paralyzed and learned to walk again and came back and won the fight.
Speaker 2: At least admit you were emotional for that?
Speaker 3: Is that science?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, dude.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things about that series that's so amazing, the audacity they have to do those things that are so unrealistic. You know, he's basically dead, and then he'd learned how to walk again. Suddenly he's winning karate fights again.
Speaker 3: It's see, children are psychopath.
Speaker 1: Yes they are, Yes they are. Now there's no doubt. All right, Well, if you finish it, let me know. It doesn't sound like you will, but nonetheless act Thanks.
Speaker 2: For the time, brother, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Zach Harper from the Athletic appreciate his time. He's brought to you today by our good friends at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology. They've got a grip of deals for you guys right now. As a client on this show and you as a listener, you should take advantage of all their offering. I'll start with this. The sun is out and we are moving towards warmer temperatures consistently, and for me, that means I'll be golfing almost every weekend, and I'll be taking golf trips, I'll be taking my dog on hikes, and i will be in the sun a tremendous amount.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, I've known doctor Michael and doctor Jason Adley forever and they grabbed me once a year and they say, look are you playing a bunch of golf. I'm like, yep, how many rounds? I tell them, like, you've got to get in. What I did not know until we started working with Ogden Clinic Haadley Dermatology is that we are the leading state in the nation in skin cancer diagnoses per capital per catholic. Excuse me, I did not know that, and it makes sense. We live in the desert where hikers, we're bikers, we're golfers, skiers, snowboarders, what have you. And Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology is offering you a free consultation just to go get checked out, to make sure you're good. You're saying you're gonna save a grip of money and you're gonna have some peace of mind and if you have a small issue, they'll just take care of it as opposed to waiting, because early detection will save your life or save you from having a big hole carved out in your head or your face. So that's number one. Take advantage of that offer. Okay, number two, twenty five percent off laser treatments, pool seasons almost here. Don't be the dude that takes off for shirt of the pool and you look like a gorilla. Get that taken care of or any other parts of your body that you like to have hair removed from your business, not mine. They're also offering deals right now on botox. They're offering deals on hair loss treatment, so take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: They're offering great deals for you guys.
Speaker 1: If any of that kind of fits what you're looking for call this number right now at Ogden Clinic Hadley Dermatology at eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four. That's eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four eight oh one sixty five seven five sixty sixty four or visit Hadleydermatology dot com schedule your appointment today. Can highly recommend the yacht rock documentary on HBO.
Speaker 5: Max yacht Rock Documentary.
Speaker 1: You know, turn me on to it was come, it was c K. Bill Simmons produced it. And uh, I'm not a huge like yacht rock guy. What was that funny that Bill Simmons producing?
Speaker 3: Its?
Speaker 4: Just it for some reason, Bill Simmons producing a yacht rock commercial or or yacht rock documentary.
Speaker 5: Just it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his company, Like say what you want about Bill Simmons, he finds a way to create content people like. I know, people don't love like his personal approach or podcast, but in our industry, Bill Simmons is kind of like a pioneer.
Speaker 5: He's he's content king.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look as far as his personal like podcast delivery, I'm not a huge Bill guy, but you gotta respect like, well, you're not a Celtics fan. True, it's fine. And Rosillo, Ryan Rosillo used to be a friend of the show. We rarely get him on anymore. I mean he still does a good job on his portion of it, but the Simmons stuff sometimes can be tough to digest. But as far as his ability to kind of see around corners with with projects, I mean, no hate on this end, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's a zero to argue with or complain about there. Like the NBA, he'll just say, hey, look at the look at the results, look at the pocketbook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: And you know, like it'd be one thing too uh to be Bill Simmons and kind of get in your feelings about people not being a fan. But then I think he just goes to his mansion in Manhattan Beach and records a podcast and he's doing just fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he knows what he's doing there. There is.
Speaker 4: Kind of a old guard way of sports media where even if you are a fan, that's not part of your coverage, right, And I think that Bill is okay kind of blurring those lines and there's no like, there's no guilt there and he doesn't pretend to not be that. So yeah, yeah, you have to respect it. And he's clearly clearly made a lane and more more than a lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He produced de Andre the Giant documentary, which was awesome. He is one of the masterminds of ESPN's thirty for thirty. Yeah, I mean, he was one of the guys that kind of created that. He's one of Emmy's peeble I mean, you know, but this, this yacht rock documentary was interesting because I've never really understood the origin of it. I never really understood like which bands are yacht rock which are not? And uh, you know, it definitely definitely reminded me growing up in the back of my dad's car because apparently most of the music he liked was certainly yacht rock. Anyway, nobody gives a rip about that. Did you watch Cobra Kai you have Netflix?
Speaker 5: Did you watch Obra Rock Tied a new one?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's a series.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right. I haven't seen it then, though.
Speaker 1: So are you old enough to remember Karate Kid any of that stuff?
Speaker 5: A little bit? I've I've definitely seen the original Karate Kid, but I was I was a tyke.
Speaker 1: All right, we haven't heard from you porter, excuse me. We're gonna get to this BYU story in a moment. We didn't get a chance to talk about it yesterday because the Craig story, uh was kind of all over the place, and I honestly am not sure where I land on this. I kind of changed my mind, and I think it's dependent on the situation. I thought Josh Grant yesterday, you know some very clear eyed, salient points. Clearly had some things you wanted to get off his chest, which makes for great radio. I don't think I'm aligned with him on every single thing, but I'm also not privy to these conversations, and I do think at times we operate with blinders on in this market because it's a very unique place to be and it's important to understand the landscape of what Salt Lake City and what Utah is and how to kind of operate around some of the oddities.
Speaker 2: That don't exist in other places.
Speaker 1: And if you don't know how to do that, it's probably a difficult place to live. S talking to Shan about this during crosstalk, But I think at times we get blinded.
Speaker 2: Certainly on the college side of things. The Jazz are different.
Speaker 1: It's a pro basketball team, RSL Pro Soccer team. You don't really need to operate around the complications of the community as much because you're more insulated if you're.
Speaker 2: In a pro situation.
Speaker 1: But we always kind of do this thing where as soon as a job comes open, it's got to be a Utah guy, it's got to be a BYU guy. BYU is different because it's more unique, I'll just say that than the University of Utah's as the standards and stipulations that you have to be able to uphold and live up to if you want to work at that institution more often than not, right, so I understand, like, for instance, when the ad job comes open, their president. BYU's president's you know, leads with he's got to love Jesus leave what leads with religiosity As far as the dynamics that you have to follow if you want to be the athletic director of BYU. It's not the same way at Utah. But instantly after the Craig news comes down, porter, you know the names. It's Alex, it's Alex Jensen, it's Andrea Miller, it's Johnny Bryant. Of all the names you've heard, Well, two parts I want to get your take on this. Do you think it has to be somebody with local ties and alumni with the institution, And is there a name or a couple of names that you've leaned into as.
Speaker 2: Far as who you think should get the gig.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think it has to be someone with that connection, right. And obviously you mentioned the fact that this may be kind of a booster driven as far as the timing and the way that this all went down, maybe that leads to they're already being some of those names you mentioned, Alex Jensen, Johnny Bryant, Andre Miller. Maybe those are the guys that those boosters specifically want to be on that list. But I do think you have to expand your search beyond that. I just I don't believe in limiting your net two players that played for you, right, guys that played basketball for you. Is that's just limiting your program two options that could be really good fits and could work with those alumni. Now I am more open in today's landscape of college sports to the former player thing than I was two three years ago. We've seen what Dion's done. It's not that situation, but there is a more professional element in college sports now, and I think that once some of the dust is settled, that will only be more true. And for that reason, I do think that there is maybe more of an openness from me on a former player having a guy in that position that you can really build a brand around, a recruiting brand and like public facing image for your program that has a face like that, right, That was something that Craig Smith struggled with. I think he's a really good basketball coach. X's and o's give me Craig Smith in those ninety four feet and with that time on the clock. He's phenomenal in that regard. So that's where this story gets complicated. And man, you got to find the right balance between wanting the guy that there's nostalgia there because he did so much for your program, and then wanting to make the right decision for the future of your program. I think there can be middle ground, and hey, maybe it is the same guy, but I don't think you should limit your net to that. Now You've already limited it, limited your net because you're currently paying Larry Christoviac, Craig Smith, and now Josh Eilert to be your head coaches. That's currently happening as of February of twenty twenty five, and that puts Utah in an interesting position. And you know, I don't have a calculator, nor would I know what to do with it if if I was asked those questions. But I got to think that that's part of this equation as well. The fact that Utah is now paying three different coaches to be their head coach can't help them in a search for the next guy.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's it's interesting how the sport of college basketball and the ecosystem of college basketball has changed in a way where once upon a time, whenever we would have these conversations about whether or not a pro coach wouldever look to go back to college, you talked about how, you know, do you want to change and trade your lifestyle? Do you want to trade in the NBA lifestyle where you're flying charters all the time and standing in the nicest hotels in the country all the time to fly into Kansas and I have to Topeka in a rental card to scout a player, A go to Mont Pillier, Idaho, and a rental card to scout a player. The game has changed where so much of this stuff is done remotely and the travel is a lot better than it used to be. It's still a little bit of a downgrade in lifestyle, but it's not as much of a day in and day out grind as it was prior to the change of the landscape of the sport. And the change in the landscape of the sport hasn't been something that everybody's excited about, because when money permeates its way into anything as the main motivation, it changes, certainly entertainment products and sport products.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the issues with the NBA right now.
Speaker 1: It does feel like it's leaned into operating like a Fortune five hundred company that just wants to provide value for shareholders as opposed to caring about the consumer. And I know people are a little afraid about that with college athletics, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: And it's changed.
Speaker 1: It will continue to lean into this because there's so much money to be made and that's just the deal when you live in a capitalist society, love it or hate it. We don't know how much of a downgrade and lifestyle would be for an Alex Jensen to go from one of the lead assistants in Dallas to be the head coach at the University of Utah. But I'll say this before we get to this BYU stuff. The thought of having Andre Miller on your bench and walking inother gyms, that's instant credibility.
Speaker 4: That's really cool, Right, And if let's just for instance, say that's the higher you make, you can then go and let Andre be the face of your program and delegate the menial stuff, the ted stuff that really does require a lot from a head basketball coach. And you have a GM of sorts. Right, we're seeing different positions that are are you coming to the forefront of college sports? And that's probably gonna be part of the equation when you make a higher. Right, if you hire a guy like Andre Miller, he's gonna be the face of your program. He's gonna be the guy that is working with those players day in and day out. You're probably gonna have someone else it is on the recruiting trail, three hundred and sixty five days a year working that part of the program. And yeah, that's that's just how we're going to have to approach this. This new landscape is as long as it looks like it does.
Speaker 2: If Mark Harland called you and asked you to be the head coach, would you try it?
Speaker 6: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just go, you just go do it?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I like it, but you might be mad with a little pushback.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm going to get fired within. Like, let's be clear, if I was the head of anything that would be a ship that is. And not to say I'm not confident in myself. I'm just talking about, like as far as constructing like a culture and organization, a whole team.
Speaker 5: I'm not the guy to look too.
Speaker 2: There, don't you? Don't you produce the show and book guests on the show.
Speaker 5: It's one radio show, though, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Aren't you in charge partly of building the culture of the Drive with Spence Jackets money?
Speaker 5: No, that's you, my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh No, I mean, I mean I'm but I'm not doing all the lifting. You got to help me out a little bit.
Speaker 4: I fill out timesheet and make sure you know we have a guest this hour, this hour, this hour.
Speaker 2: You're the culture builder. That's a lot of pressure, right, But that's why they pay you the big bucks. Oh, they pay me some bucks. Okay, they pay me bucks to pay some bills. Which is nice in this business. I'm just glad that you would say.
Speaker 5: Yes, Oh, no doubt about it. I Spence.
Speaker 4: I used to landscape and do electric electrical for a living, so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'll take that child.
Speaker 1: As long as we're not making a living with our hands, we're doing okay. But I don't know that that call is coming. But I'm glad that you would take Mark, take on the challenge. You do have my number.
Speaker 2: Mark, hit us out, Mark, and I know you're listening.
Speaker 6: Mark.
Speaker 1: If you're sicking me criticizing you for four hours every day, make me your basketball coach and I'll stop.
Speaker 2: I promise.
Speaker 5: There you go. All right, Josh Grant.
Speaker 1: Josh, my man, Josh Grant, all right, before we catch a break. Didn't get a chance to do much of this yesterday, but Kevin Reynolds saw Lake Tribune the trip did some good reporting about BYU football players. They're claiming that their nil collective was cut. The pay was cut before their season last year, which of course was awesome. They were eleven and two and smoke to Colorado and the Alamo Bowl, and they're a really good team. Caliney did a hell of a job. So I view this story. Now I would I would just send you to the Trip okay, because I'm not going to sit here and unpack the entire thing for you.
Speaker 2: But sl trip dot com.
Speaker 1: They quote Isaiah Bagna, who was a defensive end and then Crew Wakely. Crew Wakely left that program with an axe to grind man, there's no doubt, and they talk about a meeting that was held at the beginning of the season someone named Min Kim.
Speaker 2: I do not know who this person is.
Speaker 1: He is the leader of the Royal Blue Collective, or one of them, and he is the CEO of a company down south called Neutra cost.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's above board.
Speaker 1: And I guess he held the meeting and said, quote, according to Isaiah Bagney said quote, I'm not here to pay your renter bills. I'm not here for any of that. You guys are entitled greedy asking me for money, and then announced there would be changes to the collective because the team went five seven the year prior to and missed a Bowl game for the first time since twenty seventeen. According to both these players, the collective was cutting everybody's pay. Starters would be slashed by more than fifty percent. Most walk ons that would get nothing. Contracts would be signed in the coming days if the players wanted any cash at all. They were forced to agree to the new terms, and according to Bagna, this Kim Fellas said, quote, I'm here to win, and you guys didn't win last year. And so apparently, according to Crew Weakly, this gentleman went at Chase Roberts.
Speaker 2: He was mad that Chase.
Speaker 1: Entered his own individual NIL deal, which is weird to me. With desret at first Credit Union, which is a competitor of a donor for the Royal Blue Collective mountin America Credit Union, and they go on to talk about the contracts that were signed. Apparently there were what is called a non compete, which my understanding.
Speaker 2: By the way, the letter of the laws, those are.
Speaker 1: Now illegal, But you weren't supposed to go outside of the collective to get your own NIL deals. That feels a little unfair to me, and that also feels ignoring like the spirit and the letter of what NIL is supposed to provide these young men and women their ability to simply go out and profit off of who they are. It's the same economic rights that you and I have had our entire life. So ultimately where I landed after reading this story and kind of marinating on the topic a little bit. This is just a and this is not just a BYU thing. There are stories of collectives across the country just trying to understand the right way to go about business. Now this feels like this, this Kim character might might be, you know, feeling himself a little bit as far as the way he kind of handled the entire thing and some of the things he said to these players. Kim did not respond to a request for a comment of the story, but it goes on to talk about and it gets into detail.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Prior to the five and seven season, the team was broken into tiers. Top tiers players made five thousand dollars a month, second tier players two thousand dollars a month. The third tier was five hundred to one thousand dollars a month, and very few players made over five grand a.
Speaker 2: Month, but a few actually did.
Speaker 1: According to Bagna quote, over eighty percent of the defensive starters were cut. The starters were down to one thousand dollars, some of them were even on eight hundred bucks. And ultimately, the other takeaway I had here is a hell what a hell of a job from coloone Satake and his staff and Jay Hill and I got a rod to have an eleven to two season and go to the Alamo Bowl and smoke Colorado and finish in the top fifteen with a roster of players that apparently were really upset about the way this was handled. And you know, there are two sides to every story, Okay, So that's what it comes down to. And this is just another example of the university just trying to figure it out, trying to figure out a landscape without a lot of guard rails and rules, and until the guardrails and rules are signed and hopefully that's done this year with a house versus the NCAA settlement, and we're moving into a situation where things are actually outlined and you know what you're supposed to do, as opposed to figuring it out yourself.
Speaker 2: Stuff like this would go away.
Speaker 1: So you kind of feel bad for the players, but you understand on the other side the collector trying to figure it out, and ultimately a coaching staff that was able to rally these guys for a hell of a year. Man one of the best of PYU football seasons. They've ever had quite frankly, Well, all right, so you're just gonna rub it in, So you're gonna use the one example of a band I like when I was sixteen that has an age.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what you're doing here.
Speaker 4: I know that was the theme that we were we were talking about. I actually kind of liked Blues Traveling. I know they they got some interesting sound, some corny stuff in there as well.
Speaker 5: What's the is it?
Speaker 2: Kingpin to the movie Collen Brothers. Excellent movie.
Speaker 5: That may be part of it. But yeah, actually I actually kind of.
Speaker 1: Like well Forward Tour nineteen ninety four, Dave Matthews Band, Fish Alman Brothers, they were all there, and Blues Traveler was the headlining.
Speaker 2: Now that's how big they were in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: I would have spent a lot of money to be at that show.
Speaker 1: It was a good show man, all right. Time for the voice. You know what that means? Bill Riley Tuesday Afternoon, Ryle's Happy Tuesday, sir?
Speaker 2: How are you get you blue?
Speaker 7: A couple of Blues Traveler stories?
Speaker 2: Please do?
Speaker 7: I paid three dollars in college at the Bottleneck and Lawrence to see Blues Traveler, and then also in nineteen ninety nineteen nineteen ninety five, Blues Traveler was the headline band at the Lakewood Amphitheater at Atlanta, and Dave Matthews opened for Blues Traveler in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's how big they were. Man, that's how big they were. They were massive.
Speaker 1: Porter posed a question to me earlier last week, which is, how has my music in the nineties aged to this day?
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 7: Uh, it's funny you say this. When I was flying to Orlando the other day, I had kind of a nineties hits channel on. I was listening a little Big Head Todd in The Monsters I had. I had the gin Blossoms radio going, Hey, I will I will stand on the gin Blossoms Mountain and die on top of the JiTT They had some bangers in the nineties. I like Big Head Todd the Monsters. I think the nineties has aged. Okay, maybe not the greatest music decade, but I'm still on board with it.
Speaker 6: How about you?
Speaker 1: I'm on board. I just love that you just use the term bangers Ryle's. I appreciate that. I mean, at least at least you didn't say that It slaps. That's the other thing that kid The kids say.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 7: But I think the nineties it's been okay, I think it's aged. Okay, but you know, I'm old, as you've said for you know, twenty years. I'm old.
Speaker 2: I've apologized.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've seen the errors of my ways because you're not that much older than I am. All right, but it was a fun bid back in the Bill and Spence days. Now that I'm aging, I feel.
Speaker 7: Bad, Bill, but we still love Shep like he's a little brother.
Speaker 2: Right, even though he's older.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's move over now, obviously to the news that broke prior to the show yesterday, about an hour before we started the show. Excuse me, I get the alert that Craig has been really of his duties. So the timing is interesting, and you know, talking to some people, I'm sure you have as well about why exactly this went down when it went down, Bill, So what was your reaction when you heard the news and why do you think they decided to do it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: I was caught off guard, Spence. I was somewhere over West Texas, flying from Orlando to Tucson, and I had my WiFi on and I was doing some work and I just scrolled the old Twitter machine to check headlines, and I saw Jeff Goodman's story pop up, and then my phone began to be explode, you know, thirty three thousand feet. I was surprised by it. I mean, I was just the timing of it caught me off guard. I don't know that you're ever fully expecting that something like that in season, But you know, I think you know, to your other the other part of the question, I think it was just probably the full body of four years of work and maybe the overall trajectory of the program would be my guess, and maybe a little maybe not as much consistency as they would have maybe liked to would be my guess on why the move was made.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, there's always a personal side to these things. There's always an element of how this affects people that I think we tend to ignore in the media because our job is to cover the story. But look, you know, my father wasn't a coach, but he was an executive and we uprooted multiple times throughout his career.
Speaker 2: And that's just the deal.
Speaker 1: You get into this industry and you take these jobs oftentimes knowing that you're going to be fired.
Speaker 2: You're hired to fire to get fired.
Speaker 1: There are very very few coaches, executives, or even players that have a super long run in one spot.
Speaker 2: It's just a transient existence.
Speaker 1: And I think Craig's a really good man, and I do think, you know, when it comes to his ability to drop game plans.
Speaker 2: I think he did a good job this year.
Speaker 1: My opinion is the talent on this roster, but you know it wasn't necessarily up to par. They were picked to finish last, and I actually thought he did a good job coaching up roster that was a little bit voyden talent at times juxtaposed to who they were playing against. So you have a front row to all these games, all these seats. What do you have to say about the job he did just as a coach.
Speaker 7: But to your point, first and foremost, Craig Smith, for the three and a half almost four years I've worked with him, has been awesome to me, the same way Larry Christoviac was before that. So you'll hear no Craig Smith slander from me at all. He is a great guy, excellent human being, And to your point, too. I think he's a good basketball coach as well. Yeah, did they outperform with their preseason expected at least to this point what their preseason expectations were. Yes, because when you're picked sixteenth, there's nowhere to go but up. But kind of going back to what where we were before that, I think it's just kind of the overall big picture trajectory and you know the fact that the program hasn't been an NCAA tournament program in almost ten seasons, nine seasons this year, unless they make some sort of miraculous run you know in Kansas City, it's likely to be another year without the NCAA. And I think, you know, Mark Harlan and probably Taylor Randall above him, because you don't make moves like this without, you know, alerting your boss, who's the boss of everything. I think they're both big basketball guys, and I think the men's basketball is important to them and what's going on at the you and I think that they probably looked at the big picture trajectory and maybe said it just wasn't good enough.
Speaker 1: So tell me about Josh Eilert, my man's about to coach at michale I mean goodness, gracious, dude, like, and you know it's going to be a grumpy Arizona group based off of what happened with them against BYU. So tell us about this interim head coach and what are you expecting tomorrow night in a really, really tough place to play.
Speaker 7: Well, the good news for Utah is Josh Eilert's been in this position before because he was the interim head coach last year at West Virginia, so he had to make the rounds in the Big twelve last year when Bob Huggins was let go at West Virginia and he rode the title of interim head coach much of the year last year. He's well liked by the guys. The team likes him a lot. He knows the league. He's been part of most of the game plans this year and the scouts this year. So I think you know, it's it's never optimal to have to name somebody an interim head coach inside a season after a move like this has made. But if anybody's up for the task and can do it, it's Josh because he was in the same position at West Virginia year ago. But to your point, too, Arizona is going to be an angry bunch after what happened to them on Saturday against BYU down here in Tucson. So you know, it's been a tough week, certainly, but it's not going to get any easier tomorrow night on the court at McHale, for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you have a feel, all, Bill?
Speaker 1: And we had Sean on earlier any referenced the players were going to fly in, so maybe you haven't had a chance to kick the tires. But you know, I would imagine that a lot of these young men, and I don't know this because there are people pontificating on the possibility of did you make this decision right now based off of some players that may be unhappy that you want back next year. But my guest would be most of these guys are bummed out that they just lost their head coach.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's different than in the pros.
Speaker 1: You know that your coach is hired to be fired, and you don't sign necessarily only play for a coach. In college, you know, when you're recruited, your parents are trusting this person to take care of you, and you sign, oftentimes to play for the guy that recruited you, So any context or idea of how these players have reacted to what has to be tough news for at least some of them.
Speaker 7: No, I haven't seen them yet, kind of like Sean, we're both down here in Tucson. They're scheduled to arrive a little bit later on this afternoon, so I'll have a better feel tonight and tomorrow when i'm shoot around and around them a little. But to your point, I think you're probably right. I think there's probably a little bit of surprise and some shock and probably a little disappointment, because you know, when you come to play at a school, no matter what the school is, whether it's Duke or Kansas or Yukon or Utah, you're you're you know you're you're coming to go to the school. Sure, but you're coming because you've committed to a coach and a staff. So I'm sure those guys were a little caught off and and a little bit a little bit disappointed.
Speaker 3: By what happened.
Speaker 7: But you know, now now you rally up and see what you can do, and you know, if your competitors, you want to go out there, no matter who's coaching you, and.
Speaker 3: See what you can do against Arizona.
Speaker 7: So, like I said, I don't have a feel for where those guys are right now, but probably will later today or tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of these decisions are made above your pay grade, and if there's anything you just want to straight punt on, please let me know. But do you think Josh has a chance to coach his way into this job?
Speaker 3: I don't that that.
Speaker 7: I don't know, uh, just because like you said, it's above my pay grade, and I don't know what kind of conversations they may have had with Josh, so I can't. I just I don't feel comfortable in my position just not knowing and again having been kind of out of the pocket down here in Orlando, or Orlando, Orlando and Tucson. Make a comment on the coaching, you know, kind of the direction where they're going to go. You know, there's been a lot of names thrown around out there, and you know, if you read there, you know you can probably make cases for a lot of that stuff. But I just I don't have a feel for it, so I don't feel real comfortable talking about it.
Speaker 2: Did you attend the Magic Kingdom and did you wear Mickey ears?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: No, I did not, And I think you and I have had this conversation about adults who go to Disney parks by themselves.
Speaker 3: It's very odd and off putting.
Speaker 1: There's so many things I want to say right now, but yes, you and I are on the same page.
Speaker 2: And look, let's just stick here for a moment.
Speaker 1: It's strictly budgetary, okay, Like the amount of mony that you're spending to do this. You could go to Hawaii, you could go to Europe. Like, why is it saving the cash to ride? You know, it's a small world for the seventy fifth time. It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 6: It makes no.
Speaker 7: I mean I took my kids when they were younger. We had a good time, but that's what you kind of take one for the team when you're a parent and you get that experience and then you move on. So I did not visit Epcot or the Magic Kingdom when in Orlando, nor did I visit the old Magic Home either. What's what I don't even know what it's called these days.
Speaker 3: It used to be, I guess it.
Speaker 7: Was like it was one of those MLMs that was big in the nineties.
Speaker 3: They had the name of the arena.
Speaker 7: But we were way at UCF's West sixty By the way, sixty thousand studentssow at UCS. It's the second biggest campus in the country.
Speaker 1: Wow, I did not know that, all right. Moving from one Josh to another, Josh, I don't know. Did you have a chance to listen to Josh Grant on the show yesterday?
Speaker 7: I didn't. I was flying when he was on, but I heard I heard he was.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 7: He was quite passionate in his in his desire for what he was looking for.
Speaker 1: In the next day, coach, Yes, he was very salient, he was very clear eyed, he was very direct and even said that he was very excited that the news came down when it did. And it leads to a conversation Bill just philosophically, because ultimately, you know, when it comes to historically speaking, the way that college coaches the profession works. And one of the things I love about March Madness is seeing a coach that coaches a smaller school into the NCAA tournament, winning a game or two, and his life changes immediately, and the life of his family changes immediately because he gets this great opportunity to triple quadruple his salary and take over a bigger program. And there there's a group of options right now, coaches that are coaching at quote unquote smaller school that have done a great job that seems to indicate that they are next in line to get an opportunity like coaching in the Big twelve at the University of Utah. Now, the names on that list are not necessarily names that people around here are probably all that familiar with. You're talking about UC San Diego, Eric Olson, You're talking about Nico Medvet at Colorado State, Eric Henderson South Dakota State, Leon Rice at Boise, UC Irvine, Russell Turner. And this is a list that's put together by Jeff Borzello, who covers college basketball for ESPN.
Speaker 2: So that's one route for Mark to take.
Speaker 1: Now you could argue that he just took that route with Craig being at Utah State after South Dakota State and then rising up the ranks. And then the other route is the route people around here talking about, and that essentially is Alex Jensen as the head coach. Potentially Andre Miller is coaching the G League as an assistant, or Johnny Bryant, who's an associate head coach for a really good basketball team in the pros with the Cleveland Cavalier. So just thirty thousand foot viewpoint, what's the voices take on just kind of the direction you think this thing will go?
Speaker 7: Again, back to what I was saying before, I'm not sure. But what you have to look at when you're making this decision now is I don't think either path spence is a bad path to take, because as you said, there's good options on both of those paths. But what you have to look at, especially in particular with Utah right now, is who's going to be able to come in and, you know, get kind of jumpstart the program and get it back to where the expectation is. In the expectation and I think Mark said this in his release yesterday, was to compete in a regular basis in the NCAA tournament, to compete at a high level in the Big twelve, turn in the Big Twelve Conference. You know, who's the guy that gives you the best chance to do that? At the same time, you know Utah, you know, the interest in Utah men's basketball has been down a little bit, So who's somebody could come in and connect with the fan base a little bit. And then the third component is who's somebody that in today's day and age, can work in the nil world and you know, whatever that budget happens to be, work within those parameters and make it work to your program's best, you know, best ability. And again, there might be guys at that at that Mountain West you know, big West West Coast conference level that could do it. There might be guys that haven't had that college experience. But you've got to find the guy. And also, can you build a staff because in today's day and age, you have to have the head coach.
Speaker 3: We know this.
Speaker 7: It's not like when Rick was here. You know, football and all these sports. The head coaches are CEOs now. So you've got to find a guy who you think can also build a staff and surround himself with good people because the job of a head coach is so much more intricate and complicated now. You're more of a CEO. You're still coaching, but you have lots of other duties now, So who's the guy that.
Speaker 3: Could best do that?
Speaker 7: And that's what you know, Mark and his search committee's challenge is going to be.
Speaker 1: I do think and I talked about this with Sean earlier. I am not a you gotta win the press conference guy, Like watch Nick Sirianni's opening presser for the Eagles and you're like, dude, can even can he string a sentence together?
Speaker 2: They just want a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: All that matters is the long game at the end of the day, and then somebody coming in here that can recapture past glory in his own way in the modern day and age of college basketball, because there's no going back.
Speaker 2: You've got to look to the future.
Speaker 1: And even invoking the name of Rick mcjeris is unfair because that was a tremendous run.
Speaker 2: But it shouldn't just.
Speaker 1: Scare people away from having that standard around here. This is a proud basketball state, it's a proud basketball market. And while my initial reaction was sadness for Craig and his family, because I know what that's like, my secondary reaction was, Okay, somebody up there finally said this is not good enough, okay, and we need to change our standards for what our basketball team is. There's no reason that you can't be both a basketball and a football school. Ask Auburn, ask Alabama. I mean, they're Florida. We could keep going, and for too long this has been kind of branded. No, you're a football school. Now you can be both, Bill, don't you think. I mean, it's not an unreasonable expectation.
Speaker 7: You should that should be the goal. Can absolutely be both of those things. And again, the standard is different today, but it's not different. Meaning your standard should always be to compete at the highest level. To be in the school like Utah with the resources it has and the support and the tradition that has, shouldn't be going nine and ten years without being in an NCAA tournament. And I think that's what Mark and the powers to be at the.
Speaker 3: You have said.
Speaker 7: You know, they want to do everything they can do to reset that standard, to get it back and make sure basketball is a top priority. Yeah, football is the big dog on every campus.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 7: We know that from a financial standpoint. But you just rep of three or four schools that are succeeding at a very high level in both and yes, you can absolutely do that. That's what the expectations should be. And I don't you know when fans don't you should want to have the standard that was in the Majeris era. That's fine, Just don't think that the best style of basketball and the way it was back then is coming back because the game in collegiate athletics has changed over the last twenty five years, but the standard really shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree with you, So back to the whole, Like, I don't really think you have to win the press conference all the time. I do think in this case, this basketball community could use a little injection of life, and I do think an Alex Jensen Andre Miller Ben. I mean, imagine walking into a gym with Andrea as your assistant coach, Like, that's instant credibility, that's instant respect. And I would imagine if that's the direction, and we won't know for a little while, phones would ring off the hook up there at the basketball office for season ticket deposits. So what are your thoughts on just kind of that dynamic, interjecting some juice based off of names that we're familiar with around here. If that's the direction, what do you think the effect would be on the community.
Speaker 7: Well, I think if that were the case, that people would would just they would love it again. That would be a connection back to the bygone days. But it's people that they you know that they've they've known for a long time. And again that's that's another component of all this fans. It's not just you know, it's not just it's re engaging your fans and making your fans excited to come to the John M. Huntsman Center again, excited to talk about Utah basketball again.
Speaker 3: You know, the program has not been in the dumps. It hasn't.
Speaker 7: It's been solid, but it hasn't been to the standard where where fans and and folks that run the department want it to be. But if you had that kind of connection to a bygone era, I think it just it's kind of the cherry on top if you will and really would re engage a lot of fans.
Speaker 1: I've got one football question for you, but before we get there, find basketball question. How much of this I don't know, rising juggernaut, I guess I'll say that they're building down in Provo. At least that seems to be the case, with the number one player in the country there next year, to seven figure players on Kevin's roster this year, and then a massive economic investment on the bench with not just a former pro as your head coach, but pro assistant coaches strength and conditioning, nutrition is how much of what they're building down at BYU do you think motivated folks up here to say, Okay, we've got to start making sure that we can at least compete and keep up with what they're doing down south.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Again, not being in those meetings, I don't know that, But what I do know is you never want to fall behind your rival. You never want your perception to be that you're behind your rival. So to whatever extent that would be, I don't know, but you always if your rival is doing something, you want to be able to keep up or do better. So I think I don't know if that was a factor in any of this, but yeah, nobody wants to look forty miles down the road or one hundred miles down the road wherever your arrival happens to be and see that they're thriving and you're you know, you're struggling.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose. Brankeithy Karene Reed junior TOFUNA, currently at the NFL Scout Scouting Combine as the guy that called all their games. Got to know him. What kind of pros do you think these youths are going to be well.
Speaker 7: The chief thing is interesting just because the health, I mean, how healthy is he don't I don't know what his draft stock is going to be only because but again the combine and then the individual workouts can certainly help. I think Karenni Read and Junior Tafuna are going to be pros. I mean, I think Karenni is going to be one of those guys. If he's not a starting linebacker, he's going to be a guy that's in a linebacker rotation, play special teams. And I think Junior could be the same thing along the defensive line.
Speaker 3: I think both those.
Speaker 7: Guys are our pro players, probably have a five to seven to eight year career. And with Tiethy, it's just hard to predict because of the injury situation. But we know Brand's athleticism and his ability at the position, and he's not a traditional tight end. He's not that inline blocking guy. But he's a guy that's really good in the open field. He's got really good hands, and I think he'll be on somebody's roster if he stays healthy.
Speaker 1: All right, Ryles, Well, thanks for the time man, Safe Travels. Safe Travels have a great call.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night. Tomorrow night. Thanks buddy, Thanks man, all right, special thanks.
Speaker 1: To Bill Bill Riiley, Voice of the Utes Top five live in Tucson, Utahs at Michale tomorrow without their head coach Greg Smith.
Speaker 2: Of course, let go so appreciate Bill.
Speaker 1: Stopping by Sean Mooney, Zach Harper, but time now one of my favorites. Roxy Bernstein, my buddy from the PAC twelve network on the show on a Tuesday, ranking a top five Counting Crows song question Mark.
Speaker 8: Oh, absolutely top five. I would say, you know, it's since live that might be my favorite song they play live.
Speaker 1: Well, it's actually what I was gonna say live. It's hard to beat that song live for sure.
Speaker 8: Yes, that that song live, just the way they have tuned it over the years.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 8: Really resonates and it waits a ball. Look, everybody loves mister Jones. Like it's funny. I've had these discussions with Adam over the years, like when you get to his level, right, when you have number one type hits and songs, everybody knows when he plays the show, there's probably five songs you have to play, right, Like for them it's mister Jones. I think it's rain King maybe hanging around long December. It's funny Adam doesn't necessarily see it the way I do.
Speaker 6: But are you agree with me? Like when you go to.
Speaker 8: See a band like that, there's like there's staples that have to be in the catalog for that night. Wouldn't you say absolutely?
Speaker 1: I just love that you call him Adam, like we're just having a conversation about your friend named Adam. For our listeners, it's Adam Durretz. He's the lead singer of Counting Crows. He's one of Rocksy's best friends.
Speaker 8: And you know when he's putting the set list together like before a show, because they they change it every night. It's not the same show. Like there are certain songs they'll play on each tour that they're ready to play, and there's some songs that aren't in the bag if you will, like you know, like a golf bag analogy there. But out of the songs that they have for that particular tour that they've either been working on at sound check, I've learned my place spence over the years because sometimes if I ask for a song, he's not going to play it just because he can piss me off. So and so we've learned over the years that we just kind of okay, all right, and not chime in, you know, not even show any emotion if he says he's going to play a song that we really want to hear in that particular night. At some point though, there's a few our buddies. We've told him we want to design one set list before you retire. We have to have one, and he says, we'll see so, which probably means no.
Speaker 1: That's cool though, I mean, because you know, obviously a child of the nineties, man, I love the Crows. It was a long December for Craig Smith, and he won't be hanging around anymore.
Speaker 8: Nice there you go, good good segue, good.
Speaker 1: Tie, and you know, ultimately I'm gutted for a good man for you first and foremost. And I know you got to know him, but your reaction when you heard the Craig Smith had been relieved of his duties around.
Speaker 8: Here, disappointed for him, because, like you, I have an affinity for Craig. I think he's first off, he's just a terrific dude. He's a fun guy to talk to, to be around. I mean, I'll just get like a random text from Craig, like I'm doing some game and he'll just text me like because he's watching, and like I've hit him up on certain places where I go, like, for example, his connection to the Dakotas right now, I was going out there for NCAA hockey tournament and I hit him up and he was like searching for a couple of places to send me to. So I had a pretty good connection with him that goes back to his days at Utah State, and it really is. I'm sad for him. I'm disappointed for him because I do think he's a heck of a coach. I really do think Craig is a good coach. I understand the move from Utah's perspective. I'm not saying I agree with it, which Mark Harland felt he needed to do, but just the first thing that comes to mind sense is by disappointment for Craig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And there's a personal element to these stories that I don't think we do a good enough job of covering in the media because we're so like, all right, what's next and what went wrong? Like he's a good man with a good family and a five million dollar parachute helps, but it's hard when you lose a gig that that you care about, and I know how much you cared about it. So when it comes to what could be next for this program, Roxy's it's interesting you're familiar with our market and I kind of go back and forth with the dynamic here because there are a lot of people that simply just jump to we need a former ute, We need somebody who's familiar with the program. We need somebody who's familiar with the challenges and the oddities. Honestly speaking, that this market poses that don't really exist in many other places. As much as I love it here, I know that there are things that you have to traverse that can be a little bit complex. Do you think it has to be a Utah guy or do you think Mark Harlan goes the way of trying to find one of these young candidates at a smaller school that's done a really good job, or maybe somebody has been out of the game. Like, what's your take on what could be next around here?
Speaker 8: At certain places, I do believe you need that connection. I don't think Utah is one of those places that I think Utah has had enough success in tradition and up history that they can bring in somebody from the outside if you will. And look a lot of times, if you hire a coach that doesn't have that connection to a specific program, you hire an assistant on your staff that fits and understands the landscape, like for example, Mila Moderate cal Right, there are so many hoops and so much political red tape you have to deal with at a place like cal that you have to have an understanding of what you're up against. And I think the same can be said for a place like Stanford. Utah is not in that same boat. To me, I think Utah is a place where you can bring in somebody that doesn't necessarily have that connection because of the tradition and the success that this program has had in the past. And you look up in the rafters and you see the likes of you know, a Keith Van Horn's name up there, Andrew Bogan, Andre Miller, all these great players that have come through, and like, for example, you know, Rick Majeris came through and had a lot of success. I don't believe that for me, that wouldn't be a prerequisite as far as who the next coach of the University of Utah men's hoops team should.
Speaker 1: Be I do think and I have said, and I haven't necessarily always been on this train, only because I am well aware of when guys have an opportunity to live that NBA lifestyle, they don't necessarily want to go back to the college days. It's not all tried and true. Calipari Patino BYU hired Kevin Young. But you know there's some former utes in pro basketball right now that are very respected and highly thought of. And I want to ask you about Alex Jensen, who's a lead assistant for Jason Kidd in Dallas, and Alex was Quinn Snyder's lead assistant here in Salt Lake. He worked for Will Hardy for one year and essentially that was just like he's under contract and they liked him, so you can hang around Will. I don't think everyone's going to have him on his staff. But five years ago, when Mark decided to fire Larry Kroskoviak, the name Alex Jensen surfaced, and I said on air, I don't think he takes it because I thought at the time he was going to parlay his tenure with the Jazz into a head coaching opportunity in the pros that has never come, and so five years later, I think Alex might be more inclined to answer the phone that he was, you know, not too long ago. What are your thoughts on Alex Jensen as a potential candidate to replace.
Speaker 8: Drag Well, I'm familiar with him to an extent, But one thing I do know is Jason Kidd thinks the world of him, because, as you know, I went to college with Jason. I'm still friendly with him, and I've asked him about, you know, guys on his staff for example, and he raves about him, says he's a phenomenal coach, just a great person to have on the staff and be around on a daily basis. And that's a ringing endorsement from somebody like Jason kitt And as you look at the landscape now, it's ever changing landscape spence of college athletics. We're just seeing more and more pro people have a connection and maybe looking to get into the college game. And whether it's for example, on the football side, with guys like Andrew Luck and Ron Rivera that are going back and they're not coaching, but they're going to be around the game. But with this NIL and roster management we're seeing these days and free agency that is taking the college basketball land landscape by storm, it could possibly help having somebody with that pro experience. And look, Kevin Young down at BYU not only is having success this year, but let's face it, there's a lot of money right with BYU basketball and to be able to acquire the talent that they have and the great freshman for example, demon and catchings they have this year, it took a lot of money to get those guys. And next year with de Bantha comes in, it's a huge amount of money that he's getting paid to go to BYU. That's the landscape you're operating in now, and you have to find those resources. You have to find the revenue. And I know fran Frascilla put out a tweet, you know, my colleague at ESPN about the commitment that Utah financially needs to make. And I'm not exactly sure where their NIL is, but my guess, just just knowing where some of the league is that they're probably in the bottom third as far as money they're having their NIL collective for basketball. Does that change? I think that when you look at the scenario you have to explore the entire landscape of where Utah basketball is at right now, do you make this move with Craig Smith that shows me that you're committed to winning. Well, there's more ways to show than just making a move like this that you committed to having success with your basketball program.
Speaker 1: Roxy Bernstein calls Adam Durretz Adam and Jason Kidd Jason just so you know, do you do?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 2: Jason and Adam have like a text threat, Roxy.
Speaker 8: They're on separate text threads that I have And by the way, I actually call them j Kid usually.
Speaker 2: Now, now there we go.
Speaker 1: Give me the what's what's the mount rushmore of your most famous friends?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: I mean those are the top of the chain right there. I mean, certainly, Adam, are you familiar with the actor Eric Dane?
Speaker 2: I know who Eric Dane is.
Speaker 3: Yes, Eric and I.
Speaker 8: Grew up together and we're still very close. In fact, we are fantasy football partners on our league that all our buddies.
Speaker 3: Grew up with.
Speaker 2: Wow. Very impressive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's another one.
Speaker 2: Very impressive. What do you tell me what you're expecting?
Speaker 1: So, Josh Eiler, it's the interim head coach and they're at McHale tomorrow and they're going to play an Arizona team that's probably a little bit grumpy. So Utah's first game without Craig is a McHale against Arizona. How do you think these young men respond? They've got to be gutted. You know, you sign on the dobted line to play for a coach. Your parents trust the coach to take care of the son. We know the deal. So how do you think they're going to respond? What are you expecting the McHale tomorrow night?
Speaker 8: First off, Arizona's going to be a little grumpy.
Speaker 2: Yes, that might.
Speaker 8: Be the understatement of the year because the way they lost that game to be Ui the other night. They're going to be extremely ticked off hitting into this matchup.
Speaker 6: But I'm not sure.
Speaker 8: You never know what you're going to get, right. It's easier to assess where a professional team is that after a move like this, whether it's a major league team that fires a manager mid season or an NBA team that makes the move like this, and they usually come out and respond because they take it personally and the connection that they have to Craig Smith. You wonder how it's resonating in the locker room right that do they feel they let Craig Smith down. It's certainly an emotional charge group right now. And you can't blame These are eighteen to twenty two, twenty three year old kids, and they're going to feel some empathy for Craig. They're going to be upset, and probably some of them are looking in the mirror wondering what could I have done better that could have kept Craig here? And so I would expect a team that's going to be emotionally charged. They're going to come out and ready to go tomorrow night. I fully expect that it's a good group of kids, and I think they'll try to play honestly for Craig tomorrow night, that they know they let him down, and in this way they can turn the page and help honor their coach by going out there with a high level performance against a terrific team in Arizona.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well said.
Speaker 1: And in order to be fair to Craig Roxy, I've asked all my guests this week this question, I'm going to ask you the same question. And I don't want this to come across as callus and I'm not trying to knock on the group, but you referenced where's the nil, where's the collective? What's the deal with that? We don't fully know? Catchings and demon reportedly or seven figure kids down at Brigham Young and aj Debants is getting more than five million dollars to play five months of basketball. So we know they've got a ticking down there. But whether it's nil, and sadly this also does fall partly on Craig. This team was picked to finish sixteenth in the conference for a reason. There's just not a ton of top shelf talent on that roster. And I actually think there's an argument to be made that Craig did a good job coaching a group that didn't necessarily have the raw talent that some of the other teams had to a situation where they did overshoot expectations based on the preseason poll. But as a guy that calls a lot of these games, how would you articulate what you believe the talent level is on this roster this year?
Speaker 8: The talent level is, just like you said, near the bottom of the Big twelve, and there is a reason why they were picked in that position. For example, they don't have a dynamic point guard that can set people up. It was an offense that was able to score points because of ball movement and connectivity. Yes, Gate Madson was the guy they were looking to to hit the big shot, but it wasn't. They didn't have that dynamic playmaker that they've had in the past. So that I think Craig came up with a good system that gave them chances for success. But at the same time, I get it when you're assessing your program, when you're Mark Harlan, you're the administration the University of Utah, you take a whole broad scope of it and you want the talent level better. There's good players in the program. I think Ezrasar is a really nice player, loss and lovering. I think and be a really good player and it can really control a game of times from inside. But it just didn't seem there was the broad talent with his program. It's funny is I've also talked to some NBA people about Jake Wallen and there is a lot of feeling amongst the NBA people that he's got a chance, maybe in a year or two, to be on the radar as far as the NBA team, So, but it's different kind of talent that they have with this group. But it just from when you look across the board of the Big twelve, I just don't see the high level talent that Baylor has, that Houston has, that Texas Tech has that. And I think this is a down Kansas team, but they still have a lot of high level talent, and same with teams like Kansas State for example. So I think unfortunately when you examine the program as a whole, I think that that's what the administration came back to.
Speaker 1: So you've got BYUASU. Let's move over to BYU be down at Ashue tomorrow and back to back wins over ranked teams. First time that's happened. I think it's thirty seven years. They've won four straight. If you kind of expand back, they've won eight of their last ten. And when they make shots, they are a problem. And they are the type of team that is built. Should they find fire at the right time, which they're finding right now, they're the type of team they can go to the NCAA tournament and do something. I'm not saying this is a Final four team, but with the ability to make shots, when they are knocking down shots, when they're limiting turnovers, and when they're just hanging on the glass. They don't necessarily have to rebound teams because offensively they're so dynamic.
Speaker 2: It feels like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Demon's their best pro prospect, but Richie's probably their best college player. And I've been tremendously impressed to see them settle in the way they have because it didn't look great early on, and Kevin's never done this before, so you have talent on paper. If it doesn't work early, people are gonna wonder if you can coach well. The late returns as well, I should say the returns as of late are that you know, this is a team that looks to be dialed in, ready to roll down the red to the stretch of the season. What's your take on where we find ourselves right now with Brigham.
Speaker 8: Young, they seem to be peaking at the right time, and that's what you want come latter part of February and into March, is you're playing.
Speaker 7: Your best basketball, and they are, and.
Speaker 8: This team I think has gotten better and better in the crazy team spens, you don't see teams that have eleven man rotations at this time of the year, but BYU does and they all do something to help the team, and I think that's helped the chemistry with that group and getting used to a new coach in Kevin Young, tweaking the system a little bit where they shoot a lot of threes. You mentioned Richie Saunders, but he's not alone, and he's made some moves along the way, like inserting Trevinell into the starting lineup. I think was a nice move for them to help space the floor and getting fu Seni Tria to accept the role in Dollen Hall coming off the bench because those guys have been starters and it's a credit to them. It's a credit to that locker room that they're able to embrace what Kevin Young is doing and they're catching teams to the right time. Time they caught Kansas the right time. Kansas was really after losing the game to Utah and they seemed a little bit dysfunctional at the time, to be honest with you. They got to get right game against Oklahoma State on Saturday. Then they bounced back and won a tough one at Colorado last night. But they're catching teams at the right time, and I think They're catching Arizona State tomorrow night. Potentially at the right time, considering some of the injuries that ASU has. Jayden Quainton's got hurt in his last game. They're outstanding freshman. We're not sure if his status tomorrow night. And they just kicked BJ Freeman off the team, who was their leading scorer. Yet they went out and won without them. So that's it's going to be interesting to see this matchup tomorrow night. And Arizona State has not played well at home. They've been a better road team for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: Who do you think the second best team of the conference is?
Speaker 7: Who is the second best?
Speaker 8: I'm still gonna lean toward Arizona I know, even they they lost last night. Houston, to me has separated themselves and I do really like Iowa State, let me tell you right there. But there's something about this Arizona team. I'm anxious to see how they were covered tomorrow night against Utah after the way they had a real, real tough loss against EYU the other night.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you a couple of hockey questions before I set you loose? Yeah, all right, let's move over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's move over to the four Nations face off. You know, one of one of our weekly hockey guests is Neil Smith, who was the you know, the general manager of the Rangers and a high level scout for the Red Wings and built some of the best rosters that we saw in the nineties. And we had Bill Armstrong on yesterday, and you know, it was funny with Neil. He said prior to the start of the tournament, I asked him we had him on the week that week, and I said, Okay, we got a little bit of a break with a hockey club and we've got four Nations coming up? What do you think? And He's like, I'm out on it. I'm not like excited for it at all. And then of course we had him on last week and to his credit, he ate the appropriate crow. You know, Roxy, It's kind of a lesson, man like, sometimes the best things in life just completely catch you off guard. And I was so wildly entertained, and as a NBA guy who was disgusted with a product that employees basketball players that don't seem to like to play basketball as of late, I loved watching the Four Nations. So give me your take on that tournament, and what do you think it does for pro hockey domestically.
Speaker 8: Aside from the three fights and nine seconds in the first US Canada game, it was still tremendous theater, yep and unbelievable hockey, and just the reacts to the players that were playing and the speed of these games. That was the thing that really jumped out to me is the quickness, and it's showing you that the game is about speed. Now, yes, okay, the Kachuck brothers floud and so did JT. Miller, but they also have a lot of speed and talent, and it was evident and I think it's only a precursor to how good the Olympics could be.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: I don't think that we'll see a situation like we had with these fights, especially in the Olympics, but it does make for great hockey to watch, and I think we were treated to the best in the world, the best, and it was evident that it meant something. That it wasn't just lip service. Oh we're gonna go there and compete, We're gonna play hard. It was clear that it meant the world and national pride was on display and they wanted to win desperately for their countries and the only thing that would have made it a little bit more intriguing. Can you imagine if Matthew could Chuck had flought Sam Bennett. He made the Florida like right off the opening face off. If that wouldn't signify how much it meant, I don't know what else would.
Speaker 1: And I loved the back and forth where the Canadian, you know, the Hagen kid was like, we do it for the flag, they do it for the cameras. It's like, you know, like the whole thing was awesome. Let me ask you about our local hockey club and I'll set you loose. You know, they're about where I think most people thought they would be, but with the chance to maybe catch either Vancouver or the Abs for a wildcard spot. They got Vancouver the other night they beat him, so a nice little four point swing. Chicago's in town tonight, twenty three, twenty four games left on the show bill. Armstrong yesterday said it's twenty four game sevens like points are at a premium. I think we got a shot to maybe see a little playoff hockey in Salt Lake this year.
Speaker 8: There's a chance. Yeah, I wouldn't rule them out. And they've recovered from some of the injuries that they have dealt with, certainly on the back end this year, with missing Sean Dursey example, until recently for the entire season and Marino being out for an extended period of time. They got to get hot and the margin Frere and Bill Armstrong is exactly right. They have to treat every night like it's a game seven. And after they dropped the game to La on Saturday, bouncing back with a good win against Vancouver. And the other thing that was key about the win against Vancouver spence it wasn't an overtime or shootout win. It was in regulation. So a team you're chasing Vancouver, they didn't get a point. And in these matchups when you're playing Calgary, these teams you're chasing, you're battling with, they can't be three point games. You got to win it in regulation to make sure that the other team is not keeping pace with you, because if you're trying to catch them your points behind, well, yes you gain a point on them, but you're not really doing the job. And that's the way they have to step into it, and they have to take advantage of the schedule. The Blackhawks are a team that they need to handle that they need to put any doubt away early in this game, and that's the way they need to approach it and they have to be in that mentality and somehow if they can sneak in. These are the teams that are dangerous come to Sanley Cup playoffs. We've seen eight seeds before in the NHL come from way back and win because they're in playoff mode already, and that could be an advantage for them should they be able to get to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Speaker 1: Roxy, you are the man, my friend. I appreciate the time. Safe Travels. Have a great call tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Okay, thanks bets any time.
Speaker 1: But Roxy Bernstein one of the best, one of the nicest guys in this business, a business devoid of kindness. Roxy is one of those guys at Roxy Bernstein is where you find them on social media. I'll be on the call tomorrow night for byuasut.
Speaker 8: Do you have any.
Speaker 1: Like for real famous friends? Roxy Bernstein rolls on the show. He calls Adam Durretz, Adam Jason Kidd, j Kidd, do you have any like uber famous friends?
Speaker 2: Any anything stand out?
Speaker 4: I will not like mention the sports guys that I've gotten close with, right, Like Britain is genuinely one of my closer friends away from football. I would have to like the only real close connections I have in that regard are I've talked to you about some of the country music folk, right. Culter Wall is a connection that I made a long time ago. I've known him since he was and I was like nineteen twenty years old.
Speaker 1: You need to let me know next time he's in town, because you've won me over. I want to go see him perform.
Speaker 4: That is his manager is the guy that is my actual connection, right, it's through him, but I've known him for a long time, as well as some of that kind of circle of underground country, non radio country, if you will. That's probably it. Right, We've talked about the country stuff. I've had run ins with many A listers and whatnot, but none of them are my friends, especially vjsing.
Speaker 2: I need what's the deal with that dude? Like he has such a bad he's really a jerk, right, he has such a bad reputation.
Speaker 4: And I've dealt with golfers and very wealthy people who expect a certain level of service, right and try to provide that, but it didn't seem to matter what you did. You could have, like, I could have shined that guy's shoes with my tongue, and I feel like he would have been like, now you miss a spot.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm glad you didn't do that. Each of all, I'm glad you didn't do that. I imagine you ran into some entitled folk up there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My goal is to have a friend as famous as Adam Dirretz that I can just call Adam, just referring him as Adam.
Speaker 5: Adam and j Kidd hanging out on a weekend.
Speaker 1: Final segment of the program. Today is brought to you by Burt Brothers. With over thirty years of experience and nearly thirty locations. Burt Brothers, as certified technicians, bring expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry, leading warranties and low price tire guarantees. It's a one stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks. Offering a full range of automotive services. Taylor to meet your needs now offering value tire options such as Americus and Summit Tires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties that go up to seventy thousand miles. Is one of the few Triple A certified shops and Utah Burt Brothers upholds the highest standard in automotive service. Stop by Burt Brothers or Tirebusters locations or schedule appointment today to experience the trusted service that has made them a Utah favorite for over three decades.
Speaker 2: Burt Brothers doing it better since day one.
Speaker 1: More information online at Burt Brothers dot com.
Speaker 2: Luka doncic over under forty five point five points.
Speaker 4: If you would have set forty, I'd go over, But I'm going to go under with the forty five.
Speaker 1: I think he'll wait to just try to score like one hundred and fifty until they're actually in Dallas, right, because that the scene when Luca is back in Dallas is going to be really fascinating because he's gonna have a lot of fans in that arena that have his back right over the MAVs. So I'm picturing him like hitting a bunch of step back threes in Dallas. And like Niko is probably not even at the game tonight, I'm not sure that he goes full throttle.
Speaker 4: Luca, You're you're gonna get like Jimmer and Utah vibes where for some reason the team and the have wrong colors is cheering for the white guy shooting from forty feet beyond the three point line. Yep, yeah, it's gonna be weird. It's going to be weird. The the one that comes to mind is like Russell Westbrook, because that was it seemed personal between him and Kevin Durant. This seems personal between Dallas and Luka Doncic and maybe personal even though we don't really know why right behind the scenes, stuff that we're not necessarily privy to. But yeah, man, this is This is one of the more anticipated player versus former teams that I can really remember.
Speaker 2: So some good NBA hoops on tonight.
Speaker 1: It's out of a quiet night locally, tomorrow we're smacked, jam packed locally with a bunch of action. Hockey Club is taking on Chicago tonight, so a big game for them. Every game down the stretch is big for the Utah Hockey Club. Jazz will be an action against the Kings. The Utes are at McHale to take on Arizona RS valid action against Aridiano tomorrow, so little soccer as well.
Speaker 2: All right, Port, let's get out of here. What comes our way On a Wednesday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Wednesday edition of The Drive, we'll cover all of our bases. Halfway through the work week, halfway closer to the weekend. Chris com Ronnie stops by for an entire hour, as does Richard Smith. We're gonna we're gonna have some in studio stuff with those guys tomorrow. Josh Furlong joins us for the latest in the University of Utah men's basketball coaching search and of course on a game day as they visit the McHale Center, and uh Neil Smith for behind the Glass. We'll go from there. But yeah, busy, busy show on a Wednesday, including a couple of in studio guests.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Special thank you today to Sean Mooney, Zach Harper, Bill Riley, and Roxy Burns for the sound you made miss from the show today. Website's an option. It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. That ESPN seven hundred app is available in the App Store of the Google Play Store. And then finally for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours. If you guys enjoy it, thank you. But you can help us by going to our podcast page on your preferred podcast platform, subscribe to our show, give us a rating and a review. If you say nice things in the comments and leave all the stars you can, it actually helps for porter, I'm spent saying tonight, join your Tuesday evening, Tuesday evening, excuse me toatch you out on a Wednesday drive as well as you can find out right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety two NFM proud to be part of Utahs ESPN Radio Network