Speaker 1: All right, here we go, Fred Rogan Rodney Peach on AM five seventy LA Sports. We are getting ready to start the baseball season. We played a lot of games, took a long time, a lot of ups and downs. But now is when it really counts Rodney. This weekend is the beginning of what's important.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, Fred, Yes it is. And I know you know I like to live in the present. I know you like to live in the president as well, And so I ask you, though, does it feel different than it's felt in previous years? Does it feel bigger? Does it feel more exciting? How does it feel to you as opposed to say, last year or the year before?
Speaker 3: It feels more important to me.
Speaker 1: Spotlight on Blues presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino, Eric Dickerson's favorite spout in the Coachella Alley. Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for best entertainment or sign up for twenty nine rewards. When you play, earn points and spend them however you prefer, you'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino is Coachella's best bet.
Speaker 4: Spotlight on Blue is presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 3: Eric Dickerson's favorite spot in the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 4: Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment or sign up for twenty nine rewards, where you play, earn points and spend them however you prefer. You'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 3: Is Coachella Valley's best bet.
Speaker 1: All right, to me, this year it seems more important. It's really funny. I think there's more uncertainty this year, yet I've not felt is certain. I knew from the beginning of the year that it would all come down to this. It was tied ups and downs, not the traditional Dodger season that we have been accustomed to. I mean, they fought to the very end just to get to this point against adversity. Guys went to slumps, pitchers were all hurt. But here we are when it really begins, and of course somewhere aw night it really begins. Uh So I think it's important because I really don't think Rodney, if things were to go sideways, and I don't think they will, but if they did, I don't think the excuse we don't have any pitching is going to hold water here, not with the.
Speaker 3: Fan base it's the truth. But I don't think the.
Speaker 5: Care. They didn't care.
Speaker 2: Last year when Mookie and Freddy went one for twenty one, they didn't care. They didn't care. You know, you got other guys they should play, you know Lance Lann who they had to you know, bring off a pickup truck to come in and help him out. At the end of the year, he got brought happened with him. They got long balled, long ball Lance And but he was all we had. He was all we had. It wasn't like they could go, Okay, we we we don't want to put we don't want to put Lance Lann in there was he was all we had and and you had to deal with it. But but nobody cares. Nobody cares because you expect them to win the title. You expect them to be in the World Series every single year. And it's a good thing. But it's also a tough thing if you're a Dodger fan. But it's also if you're a Dodger player, manager, coach, whatever, because the expect expectations are so high. But there are factors. They're always factors in sports, and injuries are the biggest one. And the Dodgers have had their share these games. As we've seen in these playoffs so far in the wild card games, they're all gonna be close. They're all gonna be close. I don't care if the Dodgers won the division or not got the best record in baseball. These games against the Padres are going to be close. They're gonna be close ball games, and they can go either way. And there's gonna be a moment that that turns the fate who wins or loses that game. But don't think that they're going to roll through anybody in these playoffs, because everybody playing right now is good and every team has good players. They may not be named Otani, but they got good players. Peter Alonzo last night, Peter Alonzo for the Mets, you know, and that having a great series, but he's still Peter Alonzo, still a threat, a guy that's won home run Derby, the guy that hits a lot of home runs for the Mets, big star for the Mets. You know, he gets up in the ninth inning, two strikes on him, and he hits the three run home run in Milwaukee for them to win it. Milwaukee thinks they're they're winning the game and going to the next round and he hits a home three run home run in the ninth to win the game for him. They are stars on every single team, and don't be mistaken. San Diego has a lot of stars. And it's gonna be a dog fight. And oh, people like to think the Dodger's gonna roll with it. And they've got Otani and they got this lineup. They don't have the pitching that everybody thought they were gonna have, or we all thought they were gonna have, you know, at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 2: So it is going to be a dog fight, and get ready for that dog fight. So I mean, I think you've got to be realistic, Fred, But unfortunately life doesn't always work that way, and in fairness doesn't always happen in sports.
Speaker 3: That being said, the Dodgers have made a change.
Speaker 1: Now Jack Floerty was going to start game one and Yamamoto is going to start game two.
Speaker 5: Now it's been changed.
Speaker 1: Yamamoto will start game one and Jack Flaherty will start game two. Why the change because if it goes to a fifth game, Yamamoto will have the proper amount of rest to be able to pitch in that final game. So that's why they made the change. And I think it'll be fascinating to watch Yamamoto work and that'll.
Speaker 2: Be scrutinized, Right, that'll be scrutinized. That decision, Yeah, absolutely, that decision will be You know, Yamamoto's coming off injury, hasn't had a whole lot of a whole hasn't had a whole of starts since he comes he came back, He's had some ups and downs. But now you're you're claiming he is your ace going into the playoffs because if there is a Game five, you want him available for Game five. That's why you're starting him in game one. Right, what happens if he goes out and has us a struggles in game one? Is he still your Game five guy? I mean they put they they've been They're banking on the guy. They spend a lot of money on being their guy going forward.
Speaker 5: In these playoffs.
Speaker 2: You know, Flarity they've made the decision that they'd rather have Yamamoto take two starts than Flarity have two starts.
Speaker 5: So well, you know, we will see.
Speaker 2: But there's no exact science, there's no crystal ball, and hopefully Yamamoto comes out and and does his thing and holds him down and is able to to be ready to go in game five if necessary.
Speaker 1: I don't mind the move. I don't mind it. When he's on, he's really on now. To be fair in Japan in the postseason, Adam was talking to me this morning. Yamamoto has struggled, but it's a new ballgame. Now we know his stuff is electric, and we know when he's on. No one's going to hit him.
Speaker 3: That we do know.
Speaker 1: And if he had not been hurt this year, who knows what could have happen for him, because when he was good, he was great. I don't think starting him in game one is a big deal. But what I do think, and you tell me how you feel about it, what I think is this that got to win the first game. Oh yeah, I think they've got to win the first game. If they don't win the first game, I think there's going to be problems.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I we're not saying that they can't win the series if they don't win the first game. But the first game is more I think, more important for the Dodgers than it is for the Padres. For the reasons why we just talked about Yamamoto is starting and when you've got your ace going, you got to win the games when your ace is going, and that's number one, it's at home.
Speaker 5: You got to win that first game at home.
Speaker 2: If they go down oh one, then home field advantage goes back to San Diego, and that that could be tough because then that makes game two a must win game, right, So there's a lot of pressure playing the you know, and having home field advantage and playing these games at home. You know, San Diego can come in here and go. You know, as long as we take one out of two, we're good. And even if we don't, we're still good because we're coming back home, our fans are be ready, and we can get to at our own place. And then Game five and then sudden death is a crapshoot. Anybody can win that one. So they're playing with it being a lot looser, I believe than than what the Dodgers are. The Dodgers have to go into it and no one will say it, but I believe they all feel it that they got.
Speaker 1: To win game one, and I am wondering, given what has happened in the past, the last couple of years in the playoffs. Do you think, and you know, the way they look at it, Rodney is every day is a new day. That was yesterday. We're here now. But do you think in the back of anyone's mind they're thinking, we cannot have this happen again in the playoffs?
Speaker 5: We can't.
Speaker 3: We can't get knocked out this fast.
Speaker 5: Do I think they're thinking about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my have creeped in, But I don't think that's front of mine.
Speaker 5: I think you know, you look at this as as players.
Speaker 2: You look at as a new year, new team, knew everything, and this is a new opportunity. I don't think you look back at the past. I mean I used to get people ask me, well, you know when I played for different teams and I was in Philadelphia, Well, you know, you guys have not beat the Cowboys in Dallas for the last seventeen years or whatever it may be. And like, well, I wasn't here for all seventeen years. I don't care about all that. All care about is this game. And so as a player, you don't get caught up into what happened last year. Now, you know, if you're Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman, who struggled. Then you look forward to the opportunity more so than you're like, oh my god, I got to do better than I did last year, and I'm shaking and I'm nervous and all that. No, you're like, I'm about to break out this year. Last year was a bad one. But that's not going to be front of mine. For me, it is dealing with what I got to do this year and stay in present to it. That's for you and me and the fans to debate and talk about. And oh my god, they can't have what happened to them the last two years happened to them again. That's what we're all thinking about. Oh no, they get down to run early in the game. Oh my god, here we go again. No, players don't think that way. They don't think that way, especially when they're present in in a in a series in the following year.
Speaker 5: They don't look back.
Speaker 2: You gotta look forward, and you gotta look to This is a new year, new team, knew everything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts was saying that when they win, it's not really joy, it's relief. He was saying that, he said, the expectations here are so high and and perhaps in some regards unrealistic, but that's the way it is here.
Speaker 5: He said.
Speaker 1: When they win, for him, it's relief. He can't even really enjoy it because the expectations are so high and those players know the expectations.
Speaker 5: I think he enjoys it. I think he enjoys it.
Speaker 3: If they win the World Series, I'll enjoy it.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I think he enjoys it. I don't think he. I mean, I think, yes, they're there. It's it's a relief when you win. But I think it's also it's a combination of enjoyment and relief. Yeah, I believe that. I mean, there are certain standards for certain teams, and you feel a certain way where you've got to win. If you don't, then it's, uh, you know, it's considered a failure as opposed to anywhere else in the country it wouldn't be. But I think you still get joy out of winning.
Speaker 1: Andrew Friedman was asked about Dave Roberts, because you know Dave's deal, He's got one more year in his deal. And Andrew Freeman said something, And I don't know if Dodger fans know this or want to hear it. But how do they base things, how do they make decisions on what they're going to do on consistency, on consistency, not oh my god, they lost this game, consistency having that same consistency every year. And if you just base it on that Dodger fans who everybody wants Dave Roberts fired right now and they have even started the Padre Series. Yet, if you base it on that he's done the best job in Major League Baseball, well the record will support that. You might not believe that, but he's done the best record in baseball. If how they make decisions is based, Rodney on consistency, because you tell me a team that's been more consistent year in year out than.
Speaker 2: Dodgers, No one, no one, And he said the stats, the record supports all of that. No one has been more consistent. No one's won more than Dave Roberts since he's been the manager of the Dodgers. But again, it goes back to winning championships and just because you bring somebody else in, and that's the thing that you know, Ned Colleti always says, if you're gonna if you're gonna get rid of someone, the next guy he you better know that he's gonna deliver. Otherwise, why'd you get rid of the guy that brought you to the playoffs every single year and won as much as Dave Roberts has won. Because it ain't no guarantee if you bring anybody else in that they're gonna win a title.
Speaker 1: So things do get underway, uh tomorrow and and uh you'll hear the games right here on the radio station AM five to seventy. Of course you will, and we will invite you to be with us, and make sure to tune into Spotlight on Blue every Friday. It's presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino, Eric Dickerson's favorite spout in.
Speaker 3: The Coachella Valley.
Speaker 1: Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment or sign up for twenty nine rewards where you play, earn points and spend them however you prefer. You'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino is Coachella's best bet.
Speaker 4: Take me to Spot twenty nine, where the game means in full swing. Head to Coachello five game shows with slots and more. Spotlight twenty nine loves the Blue from first pitch to the final out, So come to Spotlight twenty nine True Fan show, Come Blue.
Speaker 1: All right, let's continue on, Bill Plunkett of the OC Register, we'll join the program next.
Speaker 4: Make sure to tune into the Spotlight on Blue every Friday with Rogan and Run, presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 3: Eric Dickerson's favorite spot in the Coachella Alley.
Speaker 4: Check out Spotlight twenty Turn the Bag.
Speaker 5: Come on. Oh yeah, it's absolutely Friday, and on Fridays. You know what happens. Yeah, you know. No, we don't.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, Roddy Pete, Fred Rogan, we absolutely do not care on a Friday Friday.
Speaker 1: No, we don't. DoD your fans care about tomorrow very much. So let's bring on our buddy, Bill plunk into the OC Register. Bill, how are you today?
Speaker 6: I'm doing just fine, guys. I do care.
Speaker 5: We care today, Bill, Bill, what do you care about?
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna say on the air, but I do care.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you're ahead of us because we don't. All right, So Bill, only on Fridays, Bill only.
Speaker 6: On Fridays only Friday.
Speaker 3: All right, Bill, let's get into it. So they've made the move.
Speaker 1: Yamamota will start Game one that will in Essen's given an extra day of rest if it goes five.
Speaker 3: Do you like that move?
Speaker 6: I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't think they expect to get more than four or five innings out of Yamamoto, So starting him in game one you're both in is fresh to back him up. I think there's some plus there. But the main reason they're doing it, and they're kind of acknowledging that they expect this to go five games, is to give them options for Game five. They can start Yamamoto again on five days rest, which is what he's gotten minimum all season, or they could come back with Flarity on four days rest, which he is very accustomed to. So game five they would have options. I would think that the bullpen usage has a lot to do with that. If they get to a Game five and their bullpen has been tax maybe you go with Flarity because he gives you the at least the potential to get deeper into the game. Or if the bullpens rested, maybe you go with Yamamoto again, thinking that, you know, depending on how he looked in Game one. There is nothing that the Dodgers front office values more than optionality, so much so that I think they invented that word.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I was like, you made that up then you bill?
Speaker 6: Oh no, I have heard that word so many times from Andrew Friedman, Brandon Gomes over the last few years. Yeah, they love optionality, but you know.
Speaker 2: You make a good point that you know Flaherty is better suited to go on shorter rest, and say Yamamoto, who is notoriously they want to make sure they give him, you know that five days if possible.
Speaker 5: Where do you see the concern?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know starting pitching and how deep the Dodgers' pitchers go, But when you look at this series and this match up, what concerns.
Speaker 5: You if you're a Dodger fan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's you know, it's easy to look at the pitching, and we seem to do it every year at this time, and they don't have enough. Their bullpen is this, their starters are that, and we end up focusing on starting pitching and the pitching decisions in game. But if you look over the last few years when the Dodgers have fallen short in postseason series, it has largely been because the offense dried up. Now, the starting pitching was horrible last year, so maybe that doesn't apply. But Lookie Betts and Freddie Freeman were combined one for twenty one in those three games the year before against the Arizona or a year before against San Diego. That time they scored in the first game and then the offense kind of disappeared the rest of the series. And you go back, you know, other years against the Nationals and such. The key is to get clutch hits. I know, you know, I don't know how you manufacture them. But the team that gets clutch hits like Pete Alonso going deep in the ninth inning are the teams that advance. And the Dodgers have to find a way to be that team.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: They think they can. They have a deep enough lineup that there are, you know, potential guys to come through in the clutch, all up and down the lineup. Padres have the same thing. So it's to me, it's going to be one key hit that wins a game that flips the series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real quick, I mean Starry fed in at the Cakes.
Speaker 2: I mean, you get into these playoffs, all the teams are are pretty good, they're all playing at a high level, and there is not at least this year, there's not a team that you can look at it and go, They're going to roll through the playoffs. They're going to just dominate everybody. Everybody can beat anybody at any given night. And the suggestion that the Dodgers should win and the Dodgers are going to just go roll through into the World Series. I know that's what the Dodger fans want to believe, but that's just not the case.
Speaker 6: Isn't that what they thought the last two years? And how did that work out?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think if you're a Dodger fan, you've been following this team, you should have learned your lesson by now and understand that October is a different animal from the regular season. That weird stuff happens in October? Is that unpredictable stuff happens in October? The Detroit Tigers are playing in the Division Series round. Who would have predicted that a few weeks ago? Yeah, you know, a lot of it is timing. I don't want to say luck, but there is a certain element of good fortune that has to happen for you to move and advance in October. If you were listening to the postgame when the padres one the other night, Manny Machado said, you know, when he was asked about playing the Dodgers, this is what everyone wanted. And I don't think that was a shot at the Dodgers that you know he wanted the Dodgers. I think it was an accurate statement. This is a matchup that everyone should have wanted to see. I think it's clearly the best matchup in the Division Series round. These are two teams. Either team could win the series, either team could go on to win the World Series. It is, it's a terrific matchup.
Speaker 1: Well, well, you know you mentioned lack of hitting the last two postseasons. Yeah, that was an issue. But I look at it this year maybe a little differently, Tell me what you think. I think because of the sense of urgency they've had to have near the end of the year, they've had to battle all the way through that It wasn't easy, it wasn't scripted. You know, they didn't have a ten game lead or an eight game lead at the end, so they had rest guys. I think because just of the overall intensity, they should be better, they should be more prepared. I know they've had days off, I know that, but I just think how they got here this go round should make them better hitters this time around.
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 6: I absolutely agree. You know, the last couple of years they didn't take a meaningful at bat after like July. I mean, the games in September didn't matter, you know, other than resting and that kind of stuff. The idea that they had to play to the end this year, I think does change it. And I also think that the last two years have caught their attention. You know, you get bounced in the first round two years in a row. That better leave a mark. And I think it has and I think they will be better for it this year.
Speaker 2: Who are you looking for bill to be key components on the Dodger team? And you know, Fred believes that it's you know, Otani's gonna is built for this and he's going to have a great series, and and Muki has said that he's been, you know, waiting all year for this to redeem himself. Who you look at from the Dodgers standpoint that you think is going to be a key factor and or needs to be a key factor in the series.
Speaker 6: I would point at Mooki absolutely because you know how poor he did last those last It's only three games, but he was over He's got to be a threat behind Otani because they're not going to want to face Otani. They're going to try and pitch around him or at least minimize his damage. So there has to be threats and production behind Otani. Muki being the first one, and the next one's Freddie, And based on what we saw yesterday in the sim games, I'm not sure Freddie's going to be in the lineup tomorrow. He took at bats, but he didn't run out of the box and he didn't play defense. So that tells me that that ankle is still limiting him, and I have some serious questions about whether he's in the lineup tomorrow. If that's the case and he's not, then that puts even more of a burden on guys like pay Oscar Fernandez, Max Munty, Will Smith Uh to be productive and to take advantage of whatever h you know, scoring opportunities Otani and Betts can create at the top of the lineup.
Speaker 1: I know that a Brandon Golds, a Oddia general manager, said when it comes to Frey playing first base, you don't need a lot of mobility, But I had not heard that he couldn't even get out of a batter's box yesterday.
Speaker 3: I don't know if one more arrest is going to make a difference.
Speaker 6: There, Bill, you should you should read my stories instead of Bill Plaski's. Then I wrote that last night. Yeah, he was in the same games. He was taking he was taking at bats, you know, re inning simulated innings, but he was out running, not running at all. And when on defense, it was Max Munsey at first base. And if you go back to last weekend, I'm sure you didn't read this either, but last weekend, uh, Dave Roberts told us that they would consider moving Monthly from third to first and kik at play at third base if Freddy's absence was going to be more long term. He was the first base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got behind the paywall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, can you get behind the paywall?
Speaker 3: I got stuck.
Speaker 6: An actual paper still, I'm not sure where you can find one.
Speaker 3: But you know where you're going to find that, Bill, Bill.
Speaker 5: Bill.
Speaker 2: That being said, that being said, I mean, is there a chance that Dodgers kind of, you know, play the first three or four innings kind of by ear and and and not start Freddy and use him as more of a pitch hitter situation, or if they need him if they get behind or whatever, pitch hit him in the third or fourth inning, or if they don't need him stay they're up three or four runs and they don't necessarily need him, they don't use them.
Speaker 6: I think that's a possibility.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: Freddie is as tough as they come, and you know he doesn't want to miss a single game for one hundred and sixty two, let alone in the postseason. So I'm sure he will. And Brandon even said this yesterday, or Andrew did. He'll tell them, you know, I'm good. I can go and try it. If it looks bad, then maybe you have to pivot. Maybe you can talk him into like you, like you said, get an extra day of rest, don't play Game one, just be available to pinch hit. But I think that's a very much a question mark heading into Game one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, listen, if he can't run out of the batter's box, it doesn't matter what he does.
Speaker 3: He can't play.
Speaker 6: I didn't say he couldn't. I just said he didn't.
Speaker 2: Game.
Speaker 5: You don't have to run, you know.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, if the.
Speaker 2: Guy goes up and Let's say he just said he didn't do it. They didn't force them to run out of the box.
Speaker 5: They want him. Who knows what.
Speaker 6: That's It's a simulated game. They can change the rules, do whatever they want. And in that case, they just wanted him a team. I just wanted to face uh live pitching to get a feel for that, but not push the ankle, to find out if he could if he could run.
Speaker 3: Bill, how do you see this series with the Padres going.
Speaker 6: I see it going five intents, very fun to watch games. Beyond that, I can't predict the future. I really think in some ways the Padres are the better team. They're pitching is clearly better. Their lineup is comparable. So, like I said before, I think it's gonna be one moment that flips the series, and both teams are capable of having that moment. I just I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean, and I think you know, not to make excuses for anybody, but I think Dodger fans sometimes get caught up in that. At San Diego and they're supposed to beat San Diego, but you're right, their lineup is just as good as a Dodgers at least not maybe not on paper as people look at it, but in terms of being hot and being productive the way they've been the last month, they're as good as anybody in the.
Speaker 5: League, including including the Dodgers. What do you what do you know?
Speaker 2: Going back to injuries and pictures, What do you know about muscrow who came out of the game the other day?
Speaker 6: Have not heard anything definitive, but have heard that it's not good. So I don't think he's he's in play for this series at all. Here's here's the maneuver that the Padres have to decide on depending on the severity of that injury. If they put him on the roster for the Division Series and then have to put him on injured list to get somebody else available, Muscrove then becomes unavailable for the Championship Ship Series round. If they don't put him on the roster at all for the DS, they can add him for the Championship Series. So I don't think we see him at all, regardless of you know, the long term problems with the elbow.
Speaker 3: All right, So what are we going to see for the Padres.
Speaker 6: You're going to see Dylan Ceeese in Game one you're gonna see Darvish, You're gonna see Michael King, who has been terrific. Yeah, and the fourth spot, I'm not sure, probably because of the you know, if Otani and Freeman are at the top of the lineup, they're going to want to go left handed. So you probably see Martin Perez in Game four. Uh see, hasn't been great against the Dodgers over the years. King his last two starts against the Dodgers gave up one unearned run and I think it was twelve or fourteen innings. He's been terrific. He was terrific in one of the wild Card games. And Darvish has you know, I know people in LA don't exactly respect mister Darvish, but he's been awful good over the last few years for the Padres. So to me, the advantage is definitely san Diego there.
Speaker 5: Especially he's been good against the Dodgers as well.
Speaker 6: Yes, he has. I think he's got about it two era the last few years against the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could have used a little of that. When he was pitching for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Knew you couldn't resist that, you couldn't sell you saw it coming I'm sorry, Yes, I can't get over there, all right.
Speaker 1: Bill, thanks for spending time with us today and setting up the series. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: You got it guys anytime, all right.
Speaker 1: So if there is pressure on one Dodger one, who is it? We'll talk about it next Hey, we bring it, We bring it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Today's Afternoon Delight is brought to you by rapper from Skytown named Little Dirt. And no, Freddy is not Dirk Novinski. He's the younger brother. Little Dirk has been the rap game since twenty ten. I just want to grab me for this year. With Jake Cole on the track All My Life. This is a new song for a Little Dirt called Turn Up a Notch on this New Music Friday once again. Today's after Noon Delight is Turn Up a Notch a shy Town rapper Little.
Speaker 1: Dirk All Rodney. I want to mention something real quickly, and I was going to mention it yesterday. It's an event going on out in the Coachella Valley and I was lucky enough to be a part of it yesterday morning. It is the EPSOM Golf Tournament.
Speaker 5: And you go, what is that?
Speaker 1: Well, the EPSOM Golf Tournament is a qualifying tournament for players that hope to get their LPGA cards, and fifteen people will be awarded their LPGA cards at the end of this tournament, so it's their season ending event and then whoever qualifies moves up to the Big LPGA Tour next year. The top fifteen qualify works and the reason they're doing it and because so many people do come out to the desert in the valley out here, Indian Wells wants to get back into the ballgame in hosting LPGA events. There used to be an event at Mission Hills Country Club to dine ashore for years now that moved. So what they're trying to do is let the LPGA know that they're open for business. And I was out there, and you know, you've played more golf than I've ever played in my life. I mean, you know, if you've played five times ten times, that's more than I've ever played. But I know what golf courses look like, and I enjoy watching the sport and they have done such a magnificent job out there in trying to put on a show to encourage the LPGA to come back. The course is beautiful. And by the way, if as soon as it cools down, which it's like one hundred and twelve today, but as soon as it cools down and the season quote unquote begins, and so many people come out here from La. The courses are beautiful, they really are. And I see why people come out here now all the time. They want to play golf. When it cools down, when it gets to about eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be really nice, beautiful. It's beautiful to play golf there. I've done it several times and been in tournaments, but just gone there just to play golf for a weekend.
Speaker 5: And you're right, it is beautiful to play. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Indian Wells is open to the public too. I'm not selling tickets for him, but you know, when the tournament is over, Indian Walls, the golf course out there is open to the public, and come out and make a weekend out of it, because you'll really have a good time.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: Pressure Now for the Dodgers. Pressure, does one person have more pressure on them than any of the other Dodgers?
Speaker 2: You asking me, I'm asking, yeah, yeah, no, I think it's without question. I think it's Mookie Bets. You know, I know some people may say someone is Mookie Bets, and then behind that, I say Freddie Freeman. I think it's Mookie because of what happened last year. Mookie, since he became the Dodgers, been the leader of this team, he's been the player on this team, and and struggled last year without getting a hit in the postseason, and that that eight at him all off season and pretty much all season long, where he he's thrown it out there. You know, it's not meaningful until we get into the postseason. That's when it really means something. And he couldn't wait for the postseason to start because he wanted to redeem himself. So to me, without question, it's Mookie. Bet as the most pressure on him and and he's putting the pressure on himself. You know, sometimes that works, sometimes that doesn't. But I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself to come back this year and deliver because he didn't last year, and he felt like he let the guys down because he didn't didn't perform offensively. So I think it's definitely Mookie. And then I would say behind that is Freddy because Freddy was the same way Freddie Mookie got a zero hits. Freddy got one, and that one hit was an infield hit, so it wasn't even you know, a substantial hit. So both those guys have a tremendous amount of pressure on them wear that Dodge uniform and performing in the postseason.
Speaker 1: And do you think of the back of Otani's mind he believes he's just gonna have to carry everybody.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think he's ever believed that. I don't think he believed that at all.
Speaker 2: I think that's the reason why I came to the Dodgers, because he doesn't have to carry everybody, and he hasn't had to carry everybody. He's had a great year and I would say carried everybody throughout the season. He was phenomenal. But I don't think at one moment that he felt like he had to carry this team. There's too many good players on his team, too many stars on his team, for one guy to think that he has to carry the whole team.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it'll be fascinating to observe that within the game. You know, how the top three hit what O'tani does and consequently, and now we don't know if predigal play or not. But Mooki certainly is a focal point here and what has happened in the postseason. And let's remember it's not like he's ever torn the cover off the ball in postseason plays. Okay, yeah, he's been okay at times, but the last couple of years he hadn't been great.
Speaker 2: So he hadn't been great, but he was pretty good in the year they won it. He was pretty good for Boston. I mean, there's another guy that went off, but it's pretty good for Boston in that postseason. Yeah, I just think that, uh, he's on the spot. I think you're having been for Corey Seeger. He might have won it when they won it.
Speaker 3: Now, but you know, Corey Seger was super human in that series.
Speaker 2: Went off like he did last year for the for the Rangers, So it's hard to argue with that. But but I think, you know, last year for him was a nominae. But the year's past, Mookie's been pretty good, well not the last two, so hopefully this go round will be a different story. I said it earlier, I'll say it again.
Speaker 1: I am of the opinion that they desperately need to win Game one and I also think it will be a very huge confidence builder. If the top of that order hits in Game one, I think that is vital. They've got to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with that, and I think that it does not only is it a confidence builder and big for the Dodgers and the rest of the team. If the top three hit, I think it does wonders for demoralizing the Padres. If the top three hit, the top three are just going off and between the three of them they got eight hits in a game and a couple home runs, then it it sends a signal to the to the Padres, it's like, we can't get the top of that lineup out. Their big stars are coming to play and they're tough to beat. I mean, when you talk about Otani, Mookie and Freddy, there's not a better three combination in baseball than those three. And if they're on, it is intimidating for the opposing team. All right, here's what we're gonna do now.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, if things went in the little sideways, not gonna lie to you, the things went a little south yesterday. But this will be fun now because the game is tomorrow. It is time to trash talk to Padres and their fans, and nobody can do a better job of that than Dodger fans. It is time to trash talk the Padres and their fans. Dazzel lesson, dazzl everybody. It's always fun when we play this game. Trash talk to Padres, trash talk their fans. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six, Well you know the number.