Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tech tam Case.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Hope you're well on this Sunday morning. As your Los Angeles Dodgers continue this long road trip. There's seventy two and fifty two overall first place atop.
Speaker 3: The NL West, but the lead down to two.
Speaker 2: Over San Diego, three over the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Dodgers, after splitting four in Milwaukee to start this road trip, have now split the first two games in Saint Louis with the Cardinals. Today, the final game of the road trip, rubber game of this three game series in the lou Clayton Kershaw on the Mount. First pitch from Bush Stadium is coming up at eleven fifteen. Coming up over the next hour here on Maronggo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. We'll dive deeper into today's pitching matchup with Clayton Kershaw on the Mount.
Speaker 3: David Vase will join us throughout the show with the very latest.
Speaker 2: He'll go one on one with Gavin Stone the first Dodger pitcher to ten wins this season. He'll be on the Mount tomorrow night for the opener of the homestand in just a few minutes we'll head out to the Gallpit Motors Broadcast booth and check in with Rick Monday and Tim Neverwell. Last night in Saint Louis, it was definitely not Miller time. As the Cardinals down the Dodgers, Bobby Miller got the start, his first since getting recalled from TRIPLEA. He'd go four and two thirty eight and to give up four runs on eight hits while striking out just one batter. The Dodgers did give him the early lead. Top of the first Freddy Freeman, oh.
Speaker 4: Two to Freeman and Polante set in the stretch. Now he deals home and Freddy hits the ground ball up the middle of base hit one nothing Dodgers as o'tany comes underscore.
Speaker 2: RBI number seventy two for Freddy Dodgers. I've won to nothing. However, that lead didn't last long. The Cardinals got back that run. In the bottom of the first. Wilson catres the RBI single and the game was tied and won. And the third Alec Burlson a two run home run to write off Bobby Miller Cardinals with a three to one lead in the top of the fifth. The Dodgers would ship away at that deficit. Show Hey Otania blasts on.
Speaker 4: Pitch from Polonte to Otani. These swings hits a drive to write and deep. This ball's back and it is gone into the bullpen. A line drive home run for show Hey o' tony, It's three to two. Home run number thirty eight for Otani.
Speaker 2: Show Hey goes Deep, number thirty eight that leads the National League Dodgers down three to two. The Cardinals, however, got that run back in the bottom of the inning. Mason went a solo home run again off Bobby Miller that extended the Cardinals lead as they were up for to two. Bobby Miller pitched into the fifth inning, gave up the four runs, a couple of home runs eight hits. Ryan Brazier came in win an inning into third. He pitched a couple of shutout innings after that. Brent Honeywell got the seventh and eighth. He wouldn't close it out clean, though, giving up a solo home run to Nolan Aaron nightto Cardinals go on and beat the Dodgers last night, five to two. Andrew Polonte wins seven innings along just two runs on four hits. He gets the win, Bobby Miller gets the loss. He falls to one in three. Dodgers also lose Freddie Freeman. Jammed Finger left the game last night. X rays were negative, but he's not feeling good today. It's even worse and he's not in the lineup today for the Dodgers. Instead, Keiky Hernandez gets the start at first base. More on that coming up throughout the show. Dodgers now seventy two and fifty two, they're lead down to two in the division and they give the ball to Clayton Kershaw today First Bitch and Bush Stadium. This is coming up at eleven to fifteen and with more. Let's head out to the gapin Motors Broadcast booth as we say good morning to Rick Monday and Tim Never guys.
Speaker 5: Tim, thanks very much.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous Sunday afternoon here, temperatures in the upper seventies, bright blue skies, white puffy clouds off for the distance, and the Dodgers and Cardinals getting set to play the rubber game of this three game set at Bush Stadium. Dodgers have won four of six against Saint Louis this season. Dodgers start the day seventy two and fifty two, twenty games above five hundred, two games up on the Padres in the National League West, three games up on Arizona. In the meantime, the Cardinals sixty one and sixty two, a game under five hundred and ten back of the Central Division leading Milwaukee Breweries. Clayton Kershaw one in two and a three to five o Era makes his fifth start of the season today. He'll go against veteran right handers Sonny Gray, who makes his third start. Ray in the first year of a three year contract with the Cardinals and last night Paul a little disappointing for the Dodgers. They couldn't manage more than two runs. Andre Polante pitched one of the best games he's had as a Major leaguer, and Ryan Helsley came out to close his major league leading thirty eighth game and it was all said and done, The Dodgers only managed four hits in the ball game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was kind of weird because we talked before the ball game the Dodgers when they score first, as they did last night. They put a run on the board with the Freddie Freeman RBI single in that very first inning. The Dodgers entered the game fifty three and thirteen for the season when they scored first. Not to be in last night's contest. Freddy Freeman also is not in the lineup. Took a hard smash in the sixth inning in last night's ballgame. We start to look at this road trip has been somewhat disappointing. The Dodgers field that they gave away to each of the last two games in Milwaukee. Last night they were just flat out beaten a very good pitching matchup, as you were talking about. But on this road trip, now, this is a six games into this road trip. This will complete it with the seventh game. But the bullpen has worked twenty two and the third innings already on this road trip. The bullpen is tired and they needed a reinforcement.
Speaker 4: And Casparius is here to be that reinforcement. He will be a long reliever. He's been a starter, a converted position player out of the University of Connecticut. But Casparius, who has pitched both a double A and TRIPLEA this season, somewhat of a strikeout artist, and more than likely we'll see him in the ball game today, but he will make his major league debut when he does come in. As far as first base goes today, key Key Hernandez moves across the diamond, Rojas will have.
Speaker 6: To play third Okay, he's going to play third base, and Nick Ahmed will be at shortstop position. Gavin Lux, who's really been hitting well, in fact, he's moved the average almost to two point fifty right now, as well below that at the All Star break, but Lux will bat in the number three position, the Oscar Hernanez will bat in the number four spots, and the Dodgers have to figure out how to get to Sunny Gray. They have seen him in the past, They've seen him a lot. A couple of guys have had some very good success against him. And for Sunny Gray, we'll see how he is going to pitch this Dodger ball club. And for the Cardinals, if they snapped that five game losing streak last night and they were like nothing better than to win the series against the Dodgers, and.
Speaker 4: For sure, hey Otani, he's getting closer to a pretty big milestone. He needs two more home runs and three more stolen bases to become the dodgers first ever forty four man is fifty to fifty within reach. You need twelve home runs and thirteen stolen bases for that.
Speaker 5: So stay tuned.
Speaker 4: You never know with shoe Heey Otani, who's due to really heat up at some point in time, maybe starting today Clayton Kershaw at one and two, we'll take on a Sonny Gray of the Cardinals. As Gray comes in with a record of eleven and seven and an era just under four, we're counting it out of the first pitch in Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: Tim all right, as we count you down.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans, get your game day meal on Yeah, Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's do it anytime at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. David veasts Say will check in throughout the show of the latest on Freddie Freeman's Finger, we'll tip deeper into this pitching matchup on Nexso you're Otani rewind and we'll head back out to Saint Louis if he leads up to first pitch. Dodgers and Cardinals, I'm Tim Kates, than should be with this on this Sunday morning. I'm Tim kateson this Los Angeles Dodgers Audio network.
Speaker 1: Is Loronzo Casino, Dodgers on the Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Cardinals, Clayton Kershaw, Sunny Gray, the pitching mancha. Final game of this three game series, final game of the seven game road trip.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at eleven ten.
Speaker 7: This is the Otani rewind.
Speaker 4: One O pitch to Freeman from Polante. There goes Otani for second pitch inside for a ball, no throw in an uncontested steal of second base for Otani. He now has thirty seven steals won. One pitch from Polonte to Otani. These swings hits are drive to write and deep. This ball's back and it is gone into the bullpen.
Speaker 7: A line drive home run for show.
Speaker 4: Hey o'tni it's three to two home run number thirty eight four O.
Speaker 2: Tani shoe Hey Otani, last night goes one for three on base twice. You heard the two stolen bases, the home run number thirty eight. He's now getting closer to the forty forty club thirty eight home runs, thirty seven stolen bases. You go, tany rewind brought to you by Etoin's Oocha, Japan's number one green Tea and the Tea that showey Otani loves and drinks available at local diso stores, Amazon and eto in dot com.
Speaker 3: That's I T O e N dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, last night, the Dodgers gave the ball to Bobby Miller, hoping he would have something different than he had the first time around before getting sit down to Triple A Oklahoma City. He pitched into the fifth inning, four and two thirds innings, four runs, eight hits, a couple of home runs. He gets tagged with the loss as the Cardinals went at five to two, and afterwards spoke to David Masse.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I've obviously been working on a lot, but I mean the biggest thing was marking on delivery and stuff like that, like mechanics.
Speaker 9: Trying to get theveloscity back.
Speaker 8: Might have been chasing that a little bit too much instead of just if you're pitching. You know, I can build off off of tonight as well. You know, really just tonight it was just falling behind a couple of guys like two oho, two to one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one of the homers.
Speaker 8: I thought I got very inside, but you know it's two h count there's no excuse for that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just falling behind.
Speaker 8: You know, I feel like I probably got ahead of a lot more betters today. Strike one, get oh one would have been a completely different ball game. But yeah, delivery fell lot better, you know, walks her down, but still falling behind the counts.
Speaker 9: So have a losts like ninety nine ish and the first game kind of dipped up from there?
Speaker 5: Is that just sort of thing out of your delivery sort of?
Speaker 8: I think, you know, I've just had a lot of time in between these last few audings, silly building endurance back up right now. My arm felt great the whole time throughout, so you know, could have just been like first game back jitters a little bit, had a little bit today, but you know I felt good. Just fell behind some hitters and thanks time out there. You know, just folcus on getting to strike one and it'll be a different ball games.
Speaker 9: Have you guys been able to like decay for like, why me don't speak a man who hasn't lacked the there.
Speaker 8: That for you this year really just pulling off towards the first day side a little bit, you know on the slider. Those pulled sliders really just came from like pulling off, you know, trying to focus too much down in the way instead of think keeping the line middle and making it look more like a strike the whole time. Now, my last outing the slider was uh a lot better. I wasn't really yanking at that much. Yeah, definitely could have thrown the change up a little more tonight as well. It wasn't there in the beginning of the game, but towards the end it felt really good. Kind of some swing and misses on it, but they also had some really good takes on some change ups as well, So you got a tip the cap on that. When we had the factors team able to commere the secondary stuff been this year leading to some of these trouble you know, towards the end of the game, I thought it was a little bit better. Really only really had the curve ball at the end of the game and the change up. But if I had that change up in the.
Speaker 9: Beginning of the game.
Speaker 8: I think it would have been a different story as well, showing different speeds and stuff instead of just selling a lot of high glossy fastballs.
Speaker 3: That's pretty much it, all right, there's Bobby Miller last night.
Speaker 2: Thanks to want to Ribio from Dodgers dot Com for the audio. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today, a car could be picked up Tomorrow's that easy. Donate now at Carsfrokids dot Org. That's Cars with a Cake. Still to come.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 2: On Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Batsaye will go one on one with Kevin Stone. But up next an injury report and we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers and Cardinals on this Sunday, first pitch at eleven ten. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers Hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Causino. Dodgers on Deck continues on this Sunday in Marongo Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam or Good Times Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis. First pitch coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 7: He's the LA Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Injury report presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Freddie Freeman not in the lineup today, jammed mental finger on his right throwing hand, arnest throwing hand. That is more on that. With Dave Roberts coming up, he's not able to grip a bat. Dave will have more on the status of Freddie. Also what that means for Max Munsey and Tommy Edmond, who are supposed to join the Dodgers Monday and Tuesday in the series against the Mariners. Tyler Glass now on the iel at the right elbow ten to night is the Bruce dar gratterol on the iel the right hamstring string. Chris Taylor on a rehab assignment. He's out at the groin string Blake trying to expect it to come back on this next homestand after having right hip discomfort.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get the.
Speaker 2: Final word in here from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: Dave, do you think questions for Dave.
Speaker 6: Dave, can you just describe can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 7: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts?
Speaker 9: What's Freddy stuff?
Speaker 10: Freddie's status is day to day. We had an X ray take in last night and nothing was there. It was negative, but we are going to get a CT skin just to kind of get some more information. It feels worse today than it did yesterday, which is certainly telling. So I think obviously today it doesn't look good for him to play, and tomorrow it's it's more day to day and we'll see. It'll be back in La does worse, it does, it does the swelling, it just sort of blew up, and then there's some throbbing, which which also is part of that whole process. I guess try about ny he did last night, but today, you know, even just the regular things of getting to get getting the day started, we're we're a little bit difficult for him.
Speaker 9: What's the concern level.
Speaker 10: With that concern level at this point in time, not too concerning. I think at some point it is going to be a per tolerant situation. But right now you can can't really grip a bat, so it's pretty mood right now. But I don't think overall it's that big of a concern at this point.
Speaker 11: And would that change the plans when to activate Mondsey to tomorrow instead of Tuesday.
Speaker 10: It's a it's a thought. So we are having Max take some ground balls today over there and okay, see we will get them to Los Angeles tonight, so with the possibility of activation on Monday.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but you say ground ball on the first phase.
Speaker 10: Yeah, if if we need him to play first, we can do that too. Mme just to just to cover us. If Freddy's thing is a little bit longer than needed, you know, then.
Speaker 9: It's record and Tommy ms also for tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Tommy will be tomorrow for sure, and so and having him, you know, play anywhere on the diamond is certainly hopeful.
Speaker 12: What to say went into the decision with Honeywell and Testa.
Speaker 9: And what do you know about those days?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know much about Casparius Honeywell. That was a tough one. He came here and he pitched some huge innings for us. It's just one of those things where you don't have any he doesn't have options, so you have to make a move. There's whether it's the twenty six man, the forty man, and then today where we're at. We just needed the length and leverage were covered. But in a game, in a big plus or a minus game to be able to come out of it feeling like you are equipped for Seattle. It was import or that everyone isn't use if they don't need to be.
Speaker 5: Is Caspirius just coverage for today? Where is their possibility of him starting.
Speaker 9: This upcoming week?
Speaker 10: It's covered for today and beyond. You know we're gonna go with our regular starters, so't it's not about a start now?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: There's Dave Roberts talking about Freddie Freeman and Brent Honeywell getting dfa'd and Ben Casparius, a fifth round pick in twenty twenty one getting called up and available to pitch today if needed.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Service Titan.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts say, tightening his own right and he's got a plan before His team is the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at service Titan dot com. Well, we continue here on Dodgers on Deck checking out what David Va say is we're leading you up to first pitch Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 7: This is my Wrongo Casino Dodgers on TACHA on your home for the Blue All.
Speaker 2: Season Law Law Dodgers and Cardinals on this Sunday morning, final game of this three game series, Final game of this seven game road trip. Clayton Kershaw on the mound. The umpiring crew for today's game brought to you my Fred Loyer Insurance, celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family. First pitch and Bush Stadium coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 7: Joining Tim kats on Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 7: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 9: All right, DV.
Speaker 2: Final game of this road trip, Layton Kershaw on the mount and for Kersh, I imagine the Dodgers would love to see him build on what he did last time out right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 11: It feels like ever since his poor start in San Diego, he has gotten back on track.
Speaker 5: Today I saw him. He's ready to go as usual.
Speaker 11: Kershaw Day stocking the clubhouse yesterday and the previous days leading up to today.
Speaker 5: Tim he's been in great spirits, so he's.
Speaker 11: Going to fight through whatever little aches and pains. But the one thing that he has continued to say, no matter if the start hasn't been up to his standards or not, is.
Speaker 5: That his shoulder feels great. That's not an issue.
Speaker 11: It's not an issue as far as pitch count goes either, So that's up to Dave Roberts and his discretion on the flow of the game. But today is very hot and steamy here at Bush Stadium. It's going to be very hot on the field, so that's something else to keep in mind.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 11: After Kershaw's win first of the season in Milwaukee, we were talking and he said, yeah, I got the day game in Saint Louis on Sunday.
Speaker 5: I'll be ready.
Speaker 2: He'll be ready, and no doubt the Dodgers looking for him to do something like he did last time out. David was driven by Ford. If there's one thing we like his choice, this fine yours with the Ford F one to fifty gas hybrid all electric, tough. This mark I only be called F one point fifty the Dodgers starting to get players back.
Speaker 3: David, We've been knewing this was coming, and.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow the Dodgers are gonna have to make some more roster moves and they're gonna have to make some room on this twenty six man roster, and.
Speaker 11: It feels like that's the reason why they're not activating Tommy Edmund and Max Munsey tomorrow. The plan is for Tommy Edmund to be active for tomorrow's game and start in center field for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: On Tuesday, Max Mounsey returns.
Speaker 11: As well, and Dave Roberts actually mentioned this a few days ago. The Dodgers do not foresee themselves facing many left handed pitchers, so that means Max Mounsey is going to get a long runway here at third base. Now here's the not only the roster decisions. We can get to that in a second, but also when Max Monsey comes back on Tuesday, Key k Hernandez has been playing elite defense at third base and the bat has caught up now ever since he.
Speaker 5: Got his eyes fixed, So that's some interesting as well.
Speaker 11: But as far as the roster crunch goes, you know you're looking at a guy like Nick Ahmed or Andy Piez on the position group side that may that may be sent out. There's a good chance Nick Ahmed is designated for assignment because Tommy Edmund not only plays great defense in center field, he plays great defense at shortstop.
Speaker 5: So you have Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 11: Tommy Edmund, and if you really need another shortstop, you have keik A Hernandez.
Speaker 5: So that makes Nick Ahmed a.
Speaker 11: Guy that is all glove and really not much bat the odd man out as you just kind of handicap their roster. Now, when Max Munsey comes back, that's a greater question. Does Andy Paiz, who has options, be sent down to Oklahoma City for the remainder of August until September rosters expand by two or do the Dodgers feel like Jason Hayward's back is acting up.
Speaker 5: He hasn't looked.
Speaker 11: Like himself or close to himself from what we saw a year ago, and he's been battling back issues all season long. So I feel like those are the three position players on the bubble. I would be shocked if Kevin Kiermeyer is the odd man out. How could you justify sending Kevin Kiermeyer back to the waiver wire with the way he's not only played defense but also his back to ball skills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just don't see that move being a possibility. All right, Dave, how about this rotation?
Speaker 2: River Ryan's out, Tyler Glass now is on the il. Now what does this rotation look like starting with this Mariners series tomorrow night.
Speaker 11: Well, it starts with our pregame guest today, Gavin Stone, who is the only ten game winner in this Dodger rotation.
Speaker 5: Think about that.
Speaker 11: Tyler Glass now got the big money, Yoshiyamamoto got the big money and has barely pitched, and it's young Gavin Stone that leads the Dodgers with ten wins. So he will pitch tomorrow against the Mariners, followed by Walker Bueller and Jack Flaherty. Luckily for the Dodgers, they have a day off on Thursday and that will provide that day extra day of rest for the rest of their rotation.
Speaker 2: Dave, great stuff will check back you with you just a little bit Dodger fans and Hancher listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by La Care Health Flans serving all Angelinos lacare don Or coming up here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from Gavin Stone.
Speaker 2: We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup with Clayton Kershaw on the mound of Next O your Dodgers magical moment, don't go anywhere. Dodgers Cardinals, final game of this three game series.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Katson. This is Los Angeles Dodgers audio number.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Cardinals. Clayton Kershaw on the mound. Sunny Gray will go for Sat Louis No Freddie Freeman in the line of today, He's out with the jammed middle right finger.
Speaker 3: He is dayed today.
Speaker 2: First pitch from Bush Stadium coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 5: Who wants.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfeing Magical Moment. It's magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Go back to twenty fourteen Game two of the NLDS Dodgers taking on the Cardinals. Matt kemp in the eighth inning with a big blast.
Speaker 13: Niche straddling the rubber from end to end. Now nod yes into his wind up to one pitch and camp on loans high fly ball the deep left field.
Speaker 7: She is gone.
Speaker 13: The most exultant Dodger, the most thankful Dodger, the most close to tears Dodger is not Matt Kemp.
Speaker 3: It's JP Howell.
Speaker 2: Matt Kemp with the go ahead solo home run in the eighth inning, the Great Vince Scully on the call.
Speaker 3: That home run propelled the Dodgers to a.
Speaker 2: Three to two win, evening up the twenty fourteen Nlds at a game of peace. This Hawfey magical moment brought to by Haffey Hot Dogs, a so cal treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase Crave Delicious Haffey hot Dogs. Well, we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check back in with a rick Monday, as we are leading you up to first pitch for Saint Louis on this Sunday Dodgers and Cardinals. I'm sim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers on your.
Speaker 1: Note is Lorongo Casino Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Over Dodgers and Cardinals on this Sunday, Clayton Kershaw Sunny Gray. The pitching matchup Dodgers trying to get the series win after split in the first two games. First pitch coming up at eleven fifteen. Dodgers fans. Start your future at a California community college. Financial aids available to help you with tuition and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Basseying. Here's LA Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 5: Rickets Kershaw day.
Speaker 11: They got the right guy again on the mound to try to win a series. I guess it always seems to be no matter how good you think certain guys are, the Dodgers always come back needing a great performance from Kershaw.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they can use it, you know you and I have been keeping track of usage also by the bullpen and a very disappointing outing last night by Bobby Miller, who was inconsistent, fell behind a lot of hitters, had four wild pitches that really led to runs. And if we look at this pitching staff. Now, the bullpen on this road trip for the Dodgers have played six games, they've split, they're three and three. The bullpen has had to work twenty two and a third inning and that's a very heavy workload because last night, entering the ball game, it was already a very heavy workload.
Speaker 11: And you talk about the trickle down effect, right Rick yesterday, Tyler Glass now cannot make the start. They have to call out Bobby Miller, who has had his struggles. They have to use Brent Honeywell, and now the Dodgers need a fresh arm. And Brent Honeywell, who is so good, unfortunately gets crunched by the roster.
Speaker 6: And it's a numbers game, and yeah, he got caught in the crunch. There's going to be roster changes each of the next two days on Monday and Tuesday, because you've got Edna's going to come back and then Munsey is going to come back. Those are two back to back days. Looking forward to that tomorrow and again on Tuesday, that's going to necessitate each of those days at least one roster change. Don't know if there's going to be other ones, and there are other guys on the horizon. I mean, you look at Walker Buehler, he pitched the other night in Las Vegas. He's getting closer and closer to maybe coming back on top of it. So there's a lot of different things. Chris Taylor started the other night also, he's getting closer and closer. So yeah, there's going to be some changes as we look over the next week to ten days possibly.
Speaker 11: I guess we're looking a little bit ahead to Tuesday when Mondsey is activated. The Dodgers have missed what he does so well, seeing a lot of pitches. But with the way Key k Hernandez is playing at third base, do you feel like maybe it is a platoon situation now.
Speaker 6: Well, I would think at least at the get go, it's going to be that way. Kk Hernandez has really kind of earned and look see on that end of it, from what he has done from the defensive standpoint, he's in there today, not at third base. He's at first base because yesterday in the sixth ending a sharply hit ball down to first base damaged the finger of Freddie Freeman. We understand it's going to be on just a day to day basis. It had a brief, brief chat with Freeman on the bus on the way to the ballpark. Nothing to be that concerned about. It's not taped up, it's not bandage, and it's not in a but it is something that the doctors want to be able to maintain and keep an eye on.
Speaker 5: How was his demeanor?
Speaker 11: Did he seem optimistic that he would be able to play tomorrow night?
Speaker 6: Freddie on the bus to the ballpark is normally with the headphone on and listening to something, and that's his normal routine. So he's not the most loquacious on the bus. He and when he gets on the bus, he's already in in game mode.
Speaker 11: When we talked to Dave Roberts see, you know, obviously there's that gamesmanship between the two dugouts. Do you believe with the injury to Freddie Freeman's right middle finger, even if he can't throw, do you believe he could grip a bat and maybe swing a bat today for a pin shit appearance?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I say that only because I don't know the extent of the injury, how painful it is. If he's even able to bend that finger. Looking at it on the bus, I did not see him able to really manipulate the hand of full range of motion. It's something that in dire situation I would imagine, yes, he could bat would be uncomfortable most likely.
Speaker 11: You know, it's interesting, Rick, everybody was showing me what their middle finger looked like today in the clubhouse.
Speaker 6: Well you're number one, David, You've always been that way, and quite frankly, even here in the booth, you've earned that recognition.
Speaker 5: Hey, thank you, Rick. You can hold off on showing me yours right now.
Speaker 6: Well normally when you get you see it in stereo.
Speaker 11: Before I'm back out of here. Dodgers win this game. They have a winning road trip, disappointing split in Milwaukee, but if they can get away with a win today, I would say they got to feel good going back home.
Speaker 6: I think he's the last two games in Milwaukee that let games get away from them. They just lost the game last night, That's what it was. And not the greatest of pitching, and the Dodgers did not have a very timely hitting either.
Speaker 11: You know, Kershaw understands the situation. He understands the bullpen. Ben Casparius officially activated here to be coverage for him. But I have to believe Kershaw is going to give the Dodgers at least one thing.
Speaker 6: That you and I have talked about a lot. When Kershaw takes them mount, it brings up the level of expectations with all of his teammates and everybody that watches Dodger baseball. On top of it, he's that good and it just raises the bar.
Speaker 11: Hopefully the Dodgers can score some runs with no Will Smith, no Freddie Freeman, no Miguel Rojas and today's getaway day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Austin Barnes is playing.
Speaker 6: Hey, he's hitting the ball. Yeah, ker Meyer has been hitting the ball exceptionally well. Yavin Lux is going to be elevated the number three spot in the lineup today. Also, he's knocking the ball, the cover off the ball.
Speaker 5: Hey, there's it takes nine, It takes twenty five.
Speaker 6: Right, Rick, Yeah, well it will twenty six, twenty seventy six total. That's really They know that you're in their corner as well.
Speaker 11: David, thanks a lot, Rick, I appreciate the salute yet out here.
Speaker 5: I'll send it back to you in the studio too, all.
Speaker 3: Right, thanks a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by our friends with Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more Speedy Cash dot Commerce. Stop in LA Area. Speedy Cash the store still.
Speaker 3: To come here.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on deck, we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup. Rick will be back with Tim Neverett right before first pitch with the keys to the game. But I'm next, so we go high and time with Gavin Stone. So Dodgers only ten game winners so far this year. Yeah, we'll talk to Stony next. Dodgers Cardinals first pitch at eleven fifteen. I'm Sim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt's game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Cardinals.
Speaker 2: No Freddie Freeman in the lineup today, still bothered by a swollen right middle finger that got jammed last night forced him to come out of the game, not able to grip a bat. He's dayed today, Dave Roberts saying earlier. They'll reevaluate him once the team gets back to La. Clayton Kershaw on the mound today, first pitch coming up at eleven to fifteen. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital LA. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital Los Angeles rank number one in California for pediatric Here find the right doctor.
Speaker 3: It's c HLA.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 7: This is high and tight.
Speaker 11: We are here with mister reliable and also a winner, the only ten game winner in the Dodger rotation, and that is the one and only Gavin Stone.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 9: Appreciate it anytime, Dave.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, back in Saint louis a team that you grew up rooting for. What's it been like being at Bush Stadium as a major league player.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a lot different feel.
Speaker 12: As a kid, it just seemed just so surreal and like so magical. I mean it still does, but like it just seems so much bigger. But being down here and stuff like, it's cool. It's a lot cooler from down here. It's a shows a lot of years of.
Speaker 9: Experience and hard work. How many Cardinals games. Did you get to I probably.
Speaker 12: Went to about four or five growing up. That's probably like seven the first time I came. But yeah, last time I was here was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 11: So you got a better seat these days than when you were a kid. Where would you sit here at Bush Stadium?
Speaker 12: I think the first time I actually sat at the top in left field.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Once I sat behind home plate, like second deck. Once I sat up here in the second deck, just behind third base.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 12: We actually had a U trip World Series here and we got to walk around the field and stuff like they usually like to do sometimes, and so yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was awesome, and it's awesome being back here.
Speaker 11: Since you're not pitching in this series, have you been able to take it in more than you would have.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's been it's been nice not having to, you know, worry about pitching here and then just getting to focus on seeing family and friends stuff.
Speaker 9: It's been nice.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, how many family and friends did come to visit?
Speaker 12: Yeah, there was a lot, a lot of my buddies came, a lot of friends and family from around the area.
Speaker 9: So yeah, it's been cool.
Speaker 5: So it's out there now.
Speaker 11: Your favorite player growing up was David Eckstein, but I was surprised to hear when you started to gravitate towards pitching, Joe Kelly was your favorite player. What's it like being teammates with Joe? Is he everything that you thought he would be?
Speaker 9: Oh? Yeah, Joe's my favorite pitcher ever?
Speaker 12: And yeah, he's He's more than what I thought he'd be. He's even crazier and so I actually get to like play with him and see what he's like. He's one of a con for sure, and so it's been it's been an honor, you know, to get to be on the same team as him.
Speaker 11: I don't know about you, but it feels like whenever I'm least expecting it, he sneaks up on you and completely rattles you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he does, he does. He's a good yeah though, he's a great guy. Yeah.
Speaker 5: What's the one thing that you love that Joe Kelly did?
Speaker 11: Was it the way he had mound presence and was aggressive in the strike zone? What what made you gravitate towards Joe?
Speaker 12: Yeah, all of that, like just his mentality in general, in the way that he you know, I guess really was just throwing slow as a starter or slower as a starter and then just kindle all that vlo you know, so quick and so to see that just really gave me confidence of you know, like I have a chance, like I can work to throw hard like that too, And like I said, just to be on team with him.
Speaker 9: Is pretty cool.
Speaker 11: Yeavin, You're the dodgers only ten game winner. What does that mean for you as far as being the most reliable starter as well? Because Kershaw always talks about the wins are a product of him being out there. You've made twenty two starts, twenty three tomorrow. It's turned into a really good year.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean every time I get the ball, I'm just trying to go out there and get a win for us. You know, we need them really bad right now. So any chance I can get that's my goal. But it's all about just having fun. It's a lot of fun out there, and so when you have a defense as good as ours, it makes it a lot easier to get those wins in an offense when you got you know, Mookie Freddy's show, Hey at the top, So they make it a lot easier.
Speaker 9: Definitely, But yeah, it's been. It's been pretty.
Speaker 11: Fun being a rookie with those type of veterans that you describe playing behind you.
Speaker 9: What's it like.
Speaker 11: Do you feel like you have more confidence because you know you have guys behind you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I mean our lineup is unbelievable and so it makes it a lot easier to kind of just work in and out of the zone.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's it's really cool, you know, to look back and see those guys behind me.
Speaker 11: We know that Gavin Stone put in a lot of work during the off season. You came to spring training a more refined pitcher. Can you take us through the evolution of this season? How have you gotten better as the season has gone forward?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I think it's just been trying to stay consistent as possible.
Speaker 9: You know last year it just wasn't as consistent.
Speaker 12: So that was really the main focus, you know, throughout the long process of the season, and Connor Mark, you know, we have great guys to kind of just help and keep everything the same, and so yeah, that's that's really just been it.
Speaker 9: He's trying to stay consistent and just trusting.
Speaker 11: My routine today is cruse Shaw day. I've seen you out there watching his bullpen sessions. What's it like to see one of the greatest pictures? Do the behind the scenes work for days like today?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's how you learn, Honestly, That's how I like to learn, is just to watch these guys and and see how they go about their you know, daily work throughout the year, at different parts of the year, at different times during the day. And so, yeah, just to get to be you know, like same with the same over with Joe, Like he's Hall of Famer and so to get to be on the same staff as him is really cooling.
Speaker 9: To get to learn from him. You know, I'm trying to pick up as much as I can.
Speaker 11: What have you learned about how he approaches his work in between starts as far as cruise shot goes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean he doesn't take any days off, and I think that's really the key.
Speaker 9: Uh. He's always one of the first people here.
Speaker 12: He's always I mean, he's always you can tell he loves the game. He's always you know, doing something out here on the field. And so to see that and admire that, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 11: Earlier on this road trip, like you said, he's watching the game. He came up with a big assist when Juli Ortizmith's second base was that sutter a wake up call for everybody to pay attention to what's going on in the game, even though you may not be playing.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, absolutely, and Chris is the best at it.
Speaker 12: He's locked in every game and yeah, and you can tell he's out here watching, observing and stuff like that. And so he's probably the only one that picked up on that, because I don't even think I mean, dog might not even.
Speaker 9: Picked up on it. But yeah, Chris comes from sprinting down the.
Speaker 5: Dugout that was a big victory.
Speaker 12: Oh that was huge. Yeah that was huge. But yeah, that's just the kind of guy he is.
Speaker 11: He always talks about change up envy. Going back five or six years, has he talked to you about your changeup?
Speaker 7: Not a lot.
Speaker 12: I mean I ask him like every now and then how it feels and stuff, and like what his grip is. But I think he just knows that it's more of a secondary patient, so he's not trying to make it nasty.
Speaker 9: But it's still a great bitch.
Speaker 12: I think he's I think you'll I think it'll be good at the end of the year too, So we'll.
Speaker 11: See you feel like he's not giving it enough due.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean he's used it in good counts past two games and it's worked.
Speaker 4: So love it.
Speaker 11: Can't wait to see the change up with Gavin Stone tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. Appreciate the time, and man, you're an easy guy to root for. I tell people that all the time. You're a great young man and certainly have the foundation to be great.
Speaker 9: Thank you appreciate it, Dave.
Speaker 11: Yeah, winning is what it is with Gavin Stone.
Speaker 5: That's the bottom line.
Speaker 11: Because Stone Cold said so, all right.
Speaker 2: Good reference there at WWE and stone Colds Steve Auston DV. Always great to hear Gavin Stone, who's going to get the start tomorrow against the Maritors. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When his game day, it's a group day at Shaky's dot Com. Lead you up to first Bitch Dodgers Cardinals. Coming up to next, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. I'm Tim Kates. This Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Nower.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 7: On your home for the Blue all season.
Speaker 2: Low Dodgers and Cardinals from Saint Louis. Final game of this three game set. First pitch coming up at eleven fifteen.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup forres hited by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality and all new twenty twenty four Tacoma.
Speaker 3: See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Sonny Gray on the mound for Saint Louis, thirty four year old right handers twelve season in the Big League's twenty third start this year, he's eleven and seven with a three to ninety three Erora throws the fastball, the sweeper cutter, a little bit of a sinker. He's ranked fourth in the National League and wins fourth and strikeouts top ten and opponent's batting average on a whip last time out five Indians, six runs, five hits, nine strikeouts and the loss of the Reds. He has made six starts against the Dodgers in his career. He is one in three with a three thirty one ERA over thirty five and a third innings. The lone winn against the Dodgers came way back in his first meeting ever against them July twenty fifteen. Clayton Kershaw on the Mountain, thirty six year old left end or the future Hall of Famer in his seventeen season, making his fifth start since coming back from off season shoulder surgery. Last time out five and two third innings, one run, three hit, six strikeouts and a win over the Brewers. A ten and six record against the Cardinals and twenty one starts in his career with a three ERA. He pitched one complete game against them back in twenty twelve. He lost faced Saint Louis May of last season, taken a loss at Bush Stadium. Todgers Baseball is brought to you by Eto Wins Oil Toa, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that Shoeyotani loves and drinks available at local disos stores, Amazon and eto in dot Com. That's ioe n dot Com. Dodgers Cardinals. We're fifteen minutes away. First pitch keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Katsi's Los Angeles Sagers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers in Saint Louis is a rap of this three game set with the Cardinals. Clayton Kershaw on the Mount, Dodgers looking for the series win. After a four game split in Milwaukee, Dodgers will head home for a nine game homestand beginning tomorrow, first up three games against the Mariners. First pitch though today coming up at eleven to fifteen. Dodgers fans enhansured listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by Lacare Health Plans serving all Angelinos Lacare dot Org. We'll ted back out to the booth rick Monday, Tim never guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Tim. Getting ready for this one in Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: Beautiful day for it.
Speaker 4: Dodgers will wrap up this road trip today, looking to get a winning road trip with a win here, and they have won four of six against the Cardinals so far this season. Clayton Kershaw one and two, eleven and seven for Sonny Gray for Gray is twenty third start, one thing about the Dodgers today offensively, they need to find a way to lift and separate, meaning hit the ball out of the ballpark, as Gray has given up more than double the number of home runs this year with the Cardinals than he did last year with the Minnesota Twin.
Speaker 6: And the other part too, is Sonny Gray was seventeen home runs, but nine of those have come since the All Star Break has taken place, and he's won in three six starts career against the Dodgers. We said before Clayton Kershaw's last outing that was on Monday and Milwaukee, he had made a comment the night before and here's the quote, I've got to figure out how to maintain my pitch count. Well that's what he did in the last out. He went five and two thirds, very good baseball, one run, only three hits. And for Clayton Kershaw here this afternoon is going to make career start number four hundred and twenty seven and try and pick up his two hundred and twelfth victory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for Kershaw against the Cardinals. This will be his twenty second career start, ten and six with an ERA of an even three. He's only allowed five home runs. He's in one hundred and thirty five innings pitched against this ball club over the course of his career.
Speaker 6: We're going to find out about that curveball with Kershaw also because the last downing the curveball was there. He set up with the slider and he surprised a few people with that fastball. Really good location on top of it, so he was able to maintain the pitch County and hopefully that carries over today. I know one group that's hoping that happens. That's the bullpen.
Speaker 4: And in the bullpen, Ben Casparius today called up from TRIPAA Oklahoma City. Brent Honeywell has been designated for assignment, and if Casparius gets in, it'll be his major league debut and he is available as a long reliever today Cardinals and Dodgers. Rubber game of this three game sent coming up to him.
Speaker 2: All right, first pitch, all week, come back, don't forget afterwards all of all the postgame festivities. We'll keep an eye on what's happening in Denver with the Rockies taking on the Padres, and of course Arizona on the road in Tampa taken on the Rays. Dodgers games up on the Padres, three games up on the Snakes in the Division. First Pitches next, Dodgers in Saint Louis, wrapping up this series against the Cardinals. I'm Tim Kates has been wrong with Casino Dodgers on deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network