Speaker 1: There are movies that dominate the box office, there are movies that win auscars, and then there are movies that quietly alter nation's memory.
Speaker 2: Glory wasn't the biggest movie in nineteen eighty nine. It didn't become a merchandising empire, it didn't spawn sequels. But more than thirty five years later, if you ask Americans about the fifty fourth Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, there's a good chance they're not remembering a history book.
Speaker 1: They're remembering Matthew Broderick carrying a flag.
Speaker 2: They're remembering Morgan Freeman's quiet dignity.
Speaker 1: They're remembering Denzel Washington staring through tears after being flogged.
Speaker 2: They're remembering James Horner's music as an all black regimen marched toward almost certain death.
Speaker 1: This is the story of a movie that didn't just entertain people. It taught millions of Americans a chapter of their own history, and in so doing, it became iconic. This is accidental legends, and today we focus on the nineteen eighty nine classic Glory.
Speaker 3: They said it wouldn't last, just leave it on the shells, but.
Speaker 1: Miss it's from the past to the.
Speaker 3: Cental legis craziness.
Speaker 4: It guy from me forgot it.
Speaker 2: So the shots shot.
Speaker 5: Sentential legends.
Speaker 1: True if it shot.
Speaker 4: This show.
Speaker 2: For you, accidental show mad. It is so good to be back in cul de Sac Studios. I feel like, even though it's been two weeks, I feel like it's been almost an eternity since we've been doing this.
Speaker 1: It has been a while. I see how you kind of just snuck that in the cul de Sac Studios.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's our new studio location. A lot of things have happened in season two. We've gotten better equipment, and I forgot to tell you that we actually have a new studio built.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that or seen the bill on it, so I'm assuming you're covering that on which is fine. That's good.
Speaker 2: It's a studio of the mind. Open your mind and just be there. Be in the studio, be the ball mat, be in the studio. But nonetheless, it really is good to be back. We've had probably a lot of just life happening, you know, between Memorial Day holidays. I've got a lot of birthdays in my family. In April, of course, there was Mother's Day. This is big news. We just helped move my younger son Alex into his first apartment. Jen and I are officially empty nesters.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the club, sir. The water is good over here. You should try it out, get used to it, and then we'll have a status report on that deal.
Speaker 2: Well, just so you know, I love my kids and this is a little bit of an adjustment, but it's a very healthy adjustment, and I'm very excited for what's next for him and for geninized. Now we're back to work.
Speaker 1: And I never get sad, well maybe a little bit sad, but I mean, when kids do what they're supposed to do. Kids are supposed to graduate from school, they're supposed to get through the next stage, whatever that is. It's it's college or trade school or internships or whatever. When they move out and they go to a different place to live, those are all natural things. That just means that we did our job. You and gen y'all did your job with your boys. So guess what they're leaving the nest. There is no failure to launch on that deal, which good job.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. It is glorious to watch you see what I did say that.
Speaker 1: I see at Yeah, yeah, I'm falling. This is accidental legends everybody. Thanks for listening. We want to ask you to like and subscribe on your podcast service. You might be listening to us on Apple, on Spotify, on Spreaker, on Prime, whatever your podcast service is, please like and subscribe. We drop every week Tuesday at midnight. It might be twelve, it might be two five. Sometimes it might be as late as twelve thirty. That's generally the time that we launch. And there are no more breaks this year, Derek. We're going straight through to the end of the year, every single week until our mouths drop off, or our hands fall off or our computer stop working. Is that about right? No pressure, No pressure at all. So also reach out to us and email us at Accidental legendspod at gmail dot com. That's two l's, one ending and accidental and one beginning in legends. Accidental Legends pod at gmail dot com. Send us an email. Hey, if you've got our phone numbers, use them, lose them, whatever, send us a text. We'd love to talk to you about your takes and your thoughts on this week's podcast.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into the movie stuff, I want to ask you a question when or what was your first experience with the Civil War.
Speaker 1: So this would have been around seventh grade and I had a history teacher and we didn't even really cover the Civil War that year, but she just kind of gave us teasers for the eighth grade year. But she it was interesting enough to me that I was just really really interested in what is the Civil War is? What is all of this stuff? I knew about the Revolutionary War, but the Civil War that was a new thing to this little seventh grader, So I was very interested to find out what it was all about. Yeah, I think for me it was. It was a very high level at school. I can tell you I did learn the hard way that the Gettysburg address is not seventeen thirty three, so it is. I did not get a good grade on that test. But the classes were very high level, North versus South. It was for slavery, they fought. It was the bloodiest war, what on us soil.
Speaker 2: That's about all I remember. My family never really talked about it much. You know, my family was all about war war too, because of your grandparents. And I don't even know if my descendants got here before or after the Civil War periods. So I'm just not up on my ancestry dot com. Yeah, That's my long answer is I just I did not think about it much, and I don't remember studying it much.
Speaker 1: It's been a lifelong interest for me. I even took a Civil War class in college. But here's the other thing. My miner in college was history. There was a part of me that wanted to be a history professor because all of the teachers that made huge impacts on me, for the most part, were history teachers going later in high school and into my earlier college years. So hey, history professor sounded good to me because I loved the storytelling aspect to all of that, and I think Glory hits on some of that. We're going to get into that later. Where did you see it? If you saw it at all, this is going to be a shock to you. I do not remember where I first saw it. I remember all the infantry of the fifty fourth. They're singing and testifying and praying, and they're clapping their hands and saying, oh, my lord, Lord Lord. That has been something that I have quoted and sung for probably the since nineteen eighty nine. I mean, it's that familiar to me.
Speaker 2: I remember when I saw it. The first time I saw it was two days ago, and let me kind of explain that. You know, this came out in nineteen eighty nine. I was senior in high school, and to be quite frank, I was doing senior stuff and the only movies I was really interested in were the big franchise things. You had Indiana Jones coming out that year, you had the first Batman movie. There was a lot of exciting, big time films that were coming out, and to be honest, I was not into dramas at that age. So I remember the trailer. I remember seeing the poster for Glory, and I just kind of went just because it just looked like a drama. I'd rather go see the new Batman. I gotta check that out. Now go a little forward. My older son, Sean, when he was in high school, he came home and told me about this movie. Have you seen Glory? And I go, I think I've heard the name. He goes, It's one of my favorite movies. It is so good historically. You have got to see this and.
Speaker 1: Yet again, wow, okay Sean, Yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Saw it like again and again, or I think he rented the DVD back then and would watch it, and I said, okay, I'll watch it, so it's always been on my list, but not until we started this topic when you said I want to do Glory, and I go, well, this gives me an opportunity.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny because I just happened to catch Glory. I think on some streaming service. Was it Prime?
Speaker 2: I rented it on Prime a couple of days ago, so I don't know. I think it's on MGM Plus and I said, nah, I'll just rent it, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe I caught it on one of our seven thousand streaming platforms. But I thought, huh, Glory, I wonder if that's an accidental legend. So I started doing a little bit of research and lo and behold, we were onto something. And I enjoyed the movie enough, and I thought it was more nineties. I thought it was early nineties, and then I found out, nope, it is nineteen eighty nine. Square slap dab in the middle of Michael Keaton's Batman coming out, the Last Crusade coming out, And it feels late to me. But it's like you said, lead the Weapon two even was coming out in eighty nine. I thought that was more like eighty seven, But you know, don't count me on trivia.
Speaker 2: No, I get it.
Speaker 1: So this concept of black Civil War troops, did you know anything about that? I had never heard of the concept early on. When I first started seeing it, it was definitely my first exposure to Hey, there were black infantry regimens fighting for the Union, obviously not fighting for the Confederacy, but fighting for the Union. They existed, and they had a significant impact on the course of the war.
Speaker 2: No, I had no idea. I didn't really get into, I guess, deeper dives of history until I got into college, and the history I enjoy is more of the what I call micro history stories, like well, there was a movie a while back with Gary Oldman about Winston Churchill, and it wasn't about his whole life, it was about one week. Dunkirk's another one. I really love the stories that just really zooms in and says, this is a moment with real people and real things happening. It's not just dates and places, because that just always bored me.
Speaker 1: So Heartbreak ridges that way too. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in a way, I'm kind of glad I saw it now instead of then, because I think it definitely hits better as an adult for me than it would have. As eighteen year old dark, I would have probably no question. Yeah, I don't think it would have impacted me at all. At eighteen, I would have just walked out the theater going, that was cool. Okay, that was great. I mean it wasn't cool, but you know what I mean, you just kind of go, huh, I'm eighteen, and when are we going to go see the Last Crusade?
Speaker 1: You know, right, well, when we were you know, eight, I mean eighty nine. I was, I think I was sixteen, and I didn't know who Denzel Washington was. I didn't know who Morgan Freeman was. I didn't know I barely knew that, you know, Wesley from The Princess Bride was in this. I definitely knew Ferris Bueller was in it. But the scope of the cast and the real meaning underneath, I mean, listen, I was just trying to get girls and comb my mullet and get the zits off of my face. I could not grasp the significance of the very first because the fifty fourth was the very first black infantry regimen.
Speaker 2: And to be fair in your comment about the casting, I'm sure you'll get into this later, but you had no reason to know who any of these people were yet, except maybe Matthew Broderick, and except for maybe Wesley from The Princess Bride. I always forget his name, but I'm sure that'll come, you know, later on down in the discussion. But now there's no harm, no foul on not knowing who these people were yet.
Speaker 1: So do you think civil war movies have always been a tough sell? I mean, you're the movie guy. In the scope of movie making, there's just I can't think of a ton of civil war movies.
Speaker 2: No, I can't either. I mean, the only one I can think off the top of my head is Dances with Wolves, and that's just grazing the Civil War. That's not even a civil war movie. You know, it could be. I've got to I think about a couple of things that can hamper it. Number one, especially now you've got a lack of global appeal. You know, Hollywood's trying to market movies for the whole world, not just the US, and I would guess that civil war movies it's kind of a domestic subject, but it may be difficult to market worldwide. You know another thing, I think see that you know another thing, I think about is a lot of these kind of historical period films, they tend to require a meticulous amount of costuming and physical set design. The budgets can get a little high. Yeah, maybe a little different now with CGI, But I mean in nineteen eighty nine, you're building all of these things. I mean, all those people you see out there in the field. Every single costume had to be made, every single actor had to be paid. So that could be a little bit of a downside too, maybe some politics involved. I don't really recall the eighties being much of a polarizing politics situation like it is today, So you know that may not even have an issue with it, But at least the first two points I think for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that. And I don't believe we're going to talk about this. This is just kind of something I'm pulling off the general research that I was doing. But I believe the movie starts with Antietam. Is that correct? Am I remembering that right? Yes, the Battle of Antietam. But it wasn't filmed that Antietam. It was filmed in Gettysburg, So all of that geography that you see is Gettysburg. Just kind of a little interesting, useless tidbit. That's why I didn't make it into the show notes.
Speaker 2: Just one more thing I was thinking of is there's always, especially at this time, an originality problem. Movies that are nonfranchise original stories. It's a bet. And right at this point, they're investing everything into Batman. You've got, like you said, Leath the Weapon two Indiana Jones. That's like the third one. You know, the Last Crusade is coming out years earlier, you had Ghostbusters two Star Trek five. Original projects are always risky, which is a shame because think about it, Matt. Right now we're seeing a continued diminishing of margin for Hollywood projects. All we're seeing right now is sequels, prequels, sidebars, spin offs, and when you look at the box office numbers, it's just getting smaller and smaller. I really think Hollywood should think about originality.
Speaker 1: And think about it.
Speaker 2: You're and I show right here it's based on originality. It's that originality that create legends.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. And can I just give you a little pet peeve?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hit me.
Speaker 1: The Hollywood pet peeve for me is the remake. So you're telling me that we do not have enough creativity in our bones. We do not have enough creative writers, creative thinkers that we can come up with new ideas. We have to take an old idea, an old movie, dust it off and make it brand new. And we're gonna change the character arc. We're gonna change this, we're gonna change that. And it's not huge things, but taken all together, it's noticeable. And that has always been aggravating to me. Come up with the new thing. Let's do something new. You get paid big bucks to write new things, not adapt old things.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, this movie is certainly an original film. It's an original story, and it opened my eyes of a part of history I didn't know about. So why don't you kind of set us up and tell me a little bit about how this movie came to be.
Speaker 1: It's actually a cool story because Glory almost didn't exist because no one knew about it. No one knew that the fifty fourth existed. Producer Freddie Fields screenwriter Kevin Jarr were in Boston on completely unrelated business and they came across the Magnificent I'm told Augustus Saint Gauden's Memorial to Colonel Robert Shaw and the fifty fourth Massachusetts, and apparently it's breathtaking. I've seen pictures of it, but you know, until you get to a spot, you missed the gravitas of what's happening in that place. But the bronze soldiers marched behind Shaw on horseback alongside, or the inscriptions describing their sacrifices, the prejudice they endured, their legacy. Supposedly, if you look at the monument closely, it basically outlines the movie as it happened. I don't know if you caught that in your research, but according to the story, both men were just astonished. They had no idea. They said, we didn't know black soldiers fought in the Civil War. How have we never heard of this? And so they stumbled across one of America's great history stories by accident, and it became one of the most important historical films ever made.
Speaker 2: You know, I just want to point out something. When I was watching this movie, Why did we not know? I'm gonna say wee because I didn't either. Why do we not know this?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: I think it's because the history books at that time just didn't print it. Like I said before, it was just the overview you had Lincoln, you had, Grant you had generally, that's about it. That's about all I remember. It's good now that over the decades we've kind of tried to write that. You know, we have black history mine for Latin America History Awareness Month and things like that. But and I'm not trying to get too political here, but I'm watching this movie and I thought to myself, this isn't black history, this is history. Yes, this is where we need to go. How about we integrate these stories in the history books. It's great to talk about Lincoln, but I think it's really good to talk about this too, and not label it something that just American history, because it's important for itself.
Speaker 1: I agree with that completely, because in the political climate and the social climate that we live in, all you have to do is show me a picture. All you have to do is show me Denzel Washington getting flogged, and I get it. You don't have to make any kind of commentary. I'm almost crawling out of my skin watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we get to the.
Speaker 1: Cruciating, absolutely, it was utterly excruciating to watch for me. Always has been, always has been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Glory does a great job of just kind of laying it out there. Here it is. You can take it or you can leave it, but it still happened here. The facts are as they're presented, it as they happened. The fifty fourth Massachusetts Infantry Regiment was one of the first official African American units in the Union Army during the Civil War. Composed of enlisted men led by white officers, the regimen made history through its heroic, though devastating assault on Fort Wagner, South Carolina in eighteen sixty three. Let me stop there for a minute, So the actual date of this battle is going to be July eighteenth, eighteen sixty three. This episode will drop on July fourteenth, twenty twenty six, one hundred and sixty three years to.
Speaker 2: The week wow of the battle.
Speaker 1: That's why I believe in the last podcast we were discussing that we were going to do Devil in the Bottle. That's why we kind of shifted gears.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that, and then I got the notes from this and I go, well, well, okay, but yes, that's right. This is not a country song.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, Matt's just having a little ADHD moment. He forgot he said devil in the bottle. He did not, in fact forget he said devil in the bottle. But I did look up the date, and I was thinking it was it was like lay, like early fall. But nope, July eighteenth, eighteen sixty three. So here's some key facts about the fifty fourth mass It was authorized by Massachusetts Governor John A. Andrew following the Emancipation Proclamation in eighteen sixty three, so the Union recruited free black men from across the North and even Canada. It was commanded by twenty five year old abolitionist Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, and the assault on Fort Wagner obviously July eighteenth, eighteen sixty three. The fifty fourth led a direct uphill charge against a heavily fortified Confederate battery in Wagner, South Carolina. The regiment suffered nearly fifty percent casualties, including the death of Colonel Shaw. So its impact and legacy is their extraordinary bravery and the discipline dispelled the racist doubts about African American soldiers fighting in the Civil War. So their actions paved the way for the listment of over get this one hundred and eighty thousand black soldiers fundamentally shifting the course of the war. This was the spark, right, So the North already had the population advantage over the South. They already had the bigger military, the better supplied military. But then you take all of that that was the White side, if you will, then you add almost two hundred thousand black troops on top of that. Talk about stem the tide, Stem the tide.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but as I understand it from the movie, they it was never intended for these regimens to even be combat ready. They were supposed to provide the labor, and they were. It was expected, well, you're never going to give them guns, And so I think that's what was amazing about this is Colonel Shaw said, no, we're going to train them to fight. We're going to train a regimen as if it's any other regimen, because it is, and they proved themselves. So I think that's what's interesting to pave the way for the almost two hundred thousand more black soldiers fundamentally shifting this war. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: An historical tidbit to this whole thing is the first African American awarded the Medal of Honor was Sergeant William Harvey Karney, and he saved the regiment's first American flag during the battle despite sustaining severe injuries. The first African American Medal of Honor winner came from this regiment this battle.
Speaker 2: Looked it up and correct me if I'm wrong. I think I'm right that Sergeant William Harvey Karney was Denzel Washington's character. Now, he had a different name in the movie, but he is the person in real life that picked up the flag and never let it drop.
Speaker 1: Yes, and no Trip was and we're talking about Denzel Washington's character Trip. It was kind of an amalgamation of five different peace And I think this is one of the real weaknesses. This is probably the only weakness I would say that Glory has is that you've got a Congressional Medal of Honor winner in the regiment and he's not named. He's not a character. They had to know about him, but they didn't make any attempt to honor his memory by mirroring his character in the movie. That's the only thing I would be critical of this movie about. Honestly, Yeah, I kind of agree. I mean, Frederick Douglass was in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna point him out, so right, why not get Sergeant Carney.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a pretty significant historical figure just to get glossed now nineteen eighty nine versus twenty twenty six, that's a whole different climate. So I think if they're making that movie now, that's not getting glossed. I think it's getting highlighted. That's my personal opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, And to be fair, when you're trying to compress a story into two hours, you have to make decisions, and it's like, are we going to get every single fact and make this three hours? Are we going to make it two hours and sort of make amalgam characters to personify different personalities, different characters of the era. I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it too, I do. I did. That was just my thing, So that's fair. But if you grew up watching Civil War movies, you notice something and you kind of hit on it. Earlier they look like Gone with the Wind, but they focused on the famous white commanders, you know, Lee Lincoln, General Grant Stonewall Jackson, sympathetic Southern character. The black experience is usually in the background, unless it's something specifically about slavery.
Speaker 2: Right, It's usually unfortunately stereotypical.
Speaker 1: Right, But Glory changed the camera angle. Yeah, it wasn't even really about Colonel Shaw. It was about ordinary men trying to earn dignity in a country and fighting for a country that wasn't sure they deserved it. And so the battle scenes matter, But the real story is the training. The real story is the unequal pay and the friendships, and the arguments and the humiliation, but the decision, despite all of those things, to fight anyway. So it wasn't really asking how was the Civil War won? It was asking what did the Civil War cost the people who fought it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this is the reason why the movie has such lasting power, why my kids are saying, hey, you should watch this. This isn't a movie about military strategy or historical victories. It's about people. It's about a growth of culture. Yes, I agree with that completely.
Speaker 1: It's kind of interesting as we kind of dive into the guys that made it, the people that were involved the casting, that sort of thing. Kevin Jar we mentioned him earlier, and am I saying that right? Is it? Jar?
Speaker 2: A few moments later from.
Speaker 1: The historical fact checkers we have discovered that it's not Kevin Jar. It's Kevin Jar. So he has one of the strangest career in Hollywood. Get some of these writing credits start. He wrote Rambo First Blood Part two? All right? He later and this is going to be an upcoming episode this season. He wrote Tombstone. Get this. That means the guy that's responsible for writing one of the greatest Civil War movies also gave us. He even directed some of the Charlton Heston scenes in Tombstone. Director Edwards Wick had already established himself as a talented filmmaker, but Glory really just kind of legitimized him as a director of epic historical drama because after Glory he goes on to direct Legends of the Fall. Shout out Brad Pitt and all the women that are our age that are in utter complete love with Brad Pitt, especially in that movie, because he is just so broken. So without Glory do we get Legends of the Fall. He directed The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise Urge under Fire, also starring who Dirk Well.
Speaker 2: I have to confess I have seen Washington, Denzel Washington.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dirk Denzel Washington.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's pretty good because I've seen none of these movies.
Speaker 1: Confession man, Okay, well, Legends of the Fall you need to watch. Anthony Hopkins is fantastic. Okay, the Last Samurai again fantastic and Courage under Fire. I don't remember that one. I think that was Denzel and Meg Ryan, which you know me in nineteen eighty nine. I was a huge Meg Ryan fan.
Speaker 2: Okay, stop right there. You had me at Meg Okay, right. For Denzel Washington, Glory was his launch. Trip could have been a stereotype, and we already talked about Trip being kind of the amalgamation of the five different guys. But Denzel made him unforgettable. That flogging scene.
Speaker 1: There is no dialogue. It's determined that he deserted spoiler alert, he needed to be flogged, which, by the way, sir, that was Hollywood drama in eighteen sixty three. That would not have happened. Deserters were not flogged any longer. Great scene, one of the most iconic scenes perhaps in film, but anachronistic. The single tear rolls down his face. Do you remember that thing?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where I want to jump in because okay, I want to pull out my old radio TV film.
Speaker 1: Degree here and all right, go go.
Speaker 2: If I was a film professor in college, this is a scene that I would use for the students to study. I'm watching this, and if you want an example of restraint and less is more acting, this may be the best example I have ever seen. The way he just looks at Shaw like I've walked in these shoes longer than you'll ever imagine. You're gonna watch me, watch you while this happens.
Speaker 1: Man, That is so right, That is so right.
Speaker 2: And it's just it's this gradual. You get the shirt pulled down, you see the scars, and you're going, man, his face never changes, and with each flog you get a tiny flicker, a little bit of the cheek, a little grimace in the mouth, a twitch in the nostril. And my gosh, how with all that restraint he was able to make that one tear fall. It's the most incredible thing I have seen in forever. There's so many ways you could have played this, and I can visualize it, especially in today's Hollywood. There could be screaming, there could be yelling, there could be facial expressions very big to make sure that the audience understands we have none of that. This is more impactful for me, just the minimal aspect of it. You can't feel the pain that you can almost feel you as close as you're going to get by the look on his face. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: And let's be clear, had Tripp been white and deserted in this movie, he still would gotten flogged. He wasn't flogged because he was black. So it's like, you're bringing the military standards to these men. They rip his shirt off and there are the scars and his back is just tattered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to be fair, a lot of the officers they were cringing at this. They were like, are you sure? Should we really? We really shouldn't. And it was Shaw in the story. That's where Seaw said, it's in the book, we do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah to me. When they get his shirt off and then he puts his arms up on the wagon wheel and turns to look at Shaw, to me, that's like a mic draw.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tie my hands up, you don't have to hold me. I'm just gonna stand here and I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 1: We've done this before. What you gonna do? Booh man?
Speaker 2: No, he totally deserved whatever accolades he gets for this. I did want to point out real quick that at this time, most people wouldn't have known who Denzel Washington was unless you were Saint Elsewhere viewer on TV.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 2: What Denzel Washington was one of the doctors Elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: And he had done some other small discs and that. So I mean this, this was a breakthrough Saint else I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did not know. Morgan Freeman's story is different. This didn't launch Morgan Freeman because you know, Denzel kind of took that whole performance and he got his first Oscar out of it. Morgan Freeman was a little different. I think you mentioned that in our discussions the last couple of weeks is we talked a little bit about lean on Me, and that was kind of our big It was definitely my big introduction to Morgan Freeman. And it didn't launch him, but it stabilized him. He wasn't a you know, a big, fancy, famous movie star. He'd been acting a long time, but he didn't arrive until he was fifty years old. But Glory kind of helped, you know, establish his persona that would dominate the next thirty years, the wise leader, the moral center, the authority figure. Right after Glory, he gets Driving Miss Daisy, he gets Unforgiven, he gets Shawshank redemption.
Speaker 2: Glory is definitely the beginning now earlier, and I didn't realize this because I was too young to know. He was one of the actors on The Electric Company on PBS way back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I came across that as well.
Speaker 2: But you're right, it wasn't until he was a little bit over fifty. Glory comes out, lean on me. Driving Miss Daisy is coming out at the same time roughly that Glory did, and so yeah, he is off to the races.
Speaker 1: Now. It kind of went the whole you know, authority figure, morality, all of those things, the moral center, the wise leader. He eventually played God Bruce Olmight, which I've always laughed at that. I thought that was a great cast. Yeah, but he he expressed back in the day kind of frustration that he has been cast type cast essentially, he's always being cast as that mentor character. But Glory was the thing that put him on that path. And you know, the best part in Glory for Freeman when he sets trips straight.
Speaker 5: What are you so full of hate you just want to go out and fight everybody cause you've been whipped and chased by hounds? Well that might not be living, but it's sure as hell ain't dying. And that is what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now, dying by the thousands, dying for you fool. I know because I dug the graves, and all the time I'm digging, I'm asking myself when when old Lawd's going to be our time? What time's coming, when we're going to have to handy up, Andy up and kick in like men, fack men.
Speaker 2: You know the thing about Morgan Freeman, Matt, he just has this voice that if he just read the grocery list to me, I would probably cry right Introducing Andrew dice Clay in the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, guest starring Morgan Freeman. Well it's okay, now, I'm gonna buy two tickets for that now, thank you.
Speaker 1: Who's actually the heart of this movie? Is it Shaw? Is it Trip? Is it Morgan Freeman, who is quietly holding the thing together? My vote, would you say?
Speaker 2: My vote is Morgan Freeman as kind of the soul of the movie. Now, don't get me wrong, Colonel Shaw definitely has a good story arc. He's a young young guy, full of them, full of energy, the romanticism of the war, and he's learning very quick that there is no romance in war. War is ugly or as hell. I've heard that said before.
Speaker 1: I've heard that as well. So for me, I kind of pull out, because I'm a thirty thousand foot guy. I kind of pull out and look at the whole thing. I think the infantry guys were perfectly cast, you know, Thomas and Trip and you know, all those guys were cast with perfection. I couldn't think of anybody that I thought, you know, I think you could have found somebody better for that. You don't, You're just like, no, those are the guys. Those are clearly the guys. Now, when I get to Shaw, and when I get to our dear Wesley, you know, how do you say his name, mules Elwes? How do you say his name?
Speaker 2: Say whose name?
Speaker 1: Wesley's name? Wesley, Wesley, Let's just call him Wesley. Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about it. So Wesley from the Princess Bride, right, I thought he was just utterly miscast and here's here's the thing that kind of set it off for me. Famously. Matthew Broderick plays Ferris Bueller. There are several scenes in the movie where the look on Colonel Shaw's phase is the same look from the lunch restaurant in Ferris Bueller Problem.
Speaker 3: You're a Froman, That's right, I'm a Froman. The Sausage King of Chicago. Yeah, that's me. Listen, young man, entrenew I'm very busy here. Why don't you take the kids and go back to the clubhouse?
Speaker 1: Are you suggesting thing that I'm not who I say I am.
Speaker 3: I'm suggesting that you leave before I have to get snooty, snooty, snotty snotty.
Speaker 5: Okay, ebe, let's go.
Speaker 3: I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: And that look on his face that came into glory like two or three times. Okay, No, we're not doing Ferris Bueller at the lunch place meets the fifty fourth Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: So I was kind of before I passed judgment on that. Let me go back, Carrie, I'm gonna say, Carrie Ewles, Ewles, I'm that's what I think. I don't know how Okay, Major Cabot Forbes was his character.
Speaker 1: Yes, let me tell the second kind of the second guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, let me let me talk about Matthew Broderick, because you you kind of gave me a heads up. You sent me a text before I watched this movie and you said, let me know what you think about Ferris here.
Speaker 1: And I go, oh boy wah.
Speaker 2: And you know, I gotta say I thought he did a very good job. I was not taken out of And let me explain why. Charles twenty five he comes across as somebody that came from an aristocratic family, fairly wealthy, and he's he's a commanding officer, and I'm watching the movie and he's writing letters to his mom talking about how amazing this is and how exciting this is. And then he has that first battle at the beginning of the movie, and he's seeing people's heads blown off by cannon fire. People are dying on him. He gets shot, he's hiding, well he's not hiding, but he's buried down in the ground trying to not get shot more. And there was this part where he comes home and he's just getting something to drink and somebody's trying to pull the shutters to and it's kind of got that bam and he drops his drink and Jim she kind of watched it a little bit and she came in and she saw that and she goes, it's PDSD and I go, yeah, yeah, good for them, And so I thought, okay, Yes, Matthew Broderick has been known up until this point to play a Ferris Bueller. He was in War Games, Late Hawk. This was a stretch. I'll give you that this was a stretch role, but I really think he was probably cast okay for two reasons. Number One, it was Hollywood legitimacy of anybody in this movie. He was probably the biggest name at the moment, so it gives him a bankable name to put on the billing right. Number two, yes, he has been known to play smart Alex and you know young teens and whatever. Well that's kind of who he is a little bit in this at first. But you're watching this kid, it's kind of like the Red Badge of Courage if you've ever read that book. You're watching this kid descend into dark adulthood. I guess it's the way I would put it. He is seeing reality and to see that babyface on him and having to deal with this. It just worked for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't hate the take because I think as the movie progresses he definitely gets better. And I think kind of the transition scene is his confrontation with Quartermaster about the uniforms and the weapons. I wasn't really into him at that point. He got better for me. This is a nuanced discussion because are there other twenty five year olds that could have done a better job as Robert Shaw? Yes? Yes, I think there could be. Are there guys that could have played Robert Shaw that didn't have iconic roles previously that kind of colored the way that they played the current role. That's kind of where I'm sitting at with with Matthew Broader.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, in hindsight, with the budget it had and the rest of the cast being kind of new or from television or whatever, I really think you could have casted an unknown and it would have been just as solid if the performance was good. I don't think you need a Matthew Broderick name to this kind of film.
Speaker 1: I can see that. But you know, some of the factors that we talked about with the difficulty in Civil war movies and you know, kind of the subject matter of this one, kind of being really on the edge of where Hollywood was comfortable back then that maybe, oh, hey, Ferris Bueller's in this one, while we can go see that Ferris Bueller's in it. Hey the Dreadpire Roberts is in this one, so I can see it both ways. But let's talk about the music. Some movie scores they just kind of support the story. James Horner's score became a part of the story, but he is the composer behind. See if you know some of these movies, Derek Aliens, Brave Heart, Legends of the Fall, shout out Brad Pitt. But you haven't seen that one yet. Here's one that's kind of more Year Lane, Star Trek two, The Wrath of Kahn right, Titanic Avatar. But the thing about this soundtrack is it's almost liturgical. And here's what I think as that kind of liturgical quality, that almost religious, very sacred feeling to the score. It was the Boy's Choir of Harlem, So you remember the voices throughout the score that were singing, Yes, that was the Harlem Boys Choir, And they knew that they wanted to use Boy's voices. They knew that that was kind of the character that they were looking for. But the cinematographer Freddie Francis, who incidentally was also an Oscar winner from Glory for Cinematography, suggested the Harlem Boys Choir. He showed up with one of their tapes, and Horner as soon as he heard it he knew, Okay, this is what I need. So he goes to New York. He brings the Harlem Boys Choir to LA and gets them to record in LA, sends them to Disneyland. But word spread that they were recording, that they were going to be coming, and people started dropping in on the recording sessions. Steven Spielberg pops his head in Sidney Pollock pops his head because the filmmakers they wanted to hear what was happening. And Zwick and the crew that were there during the recordings, they were constantly in tears during the sessions, and if you listen you can understand why. But everybody kind of just had this sense that, Okay, whatever's happening, this is special. And so the final assault on Fort Wagner without that score, it's just a battle scene. But with the score, with the Boys choir with all of the things that are happening in that it becomes a memory. Here's one of my takes. Go back and listen to I believe the piece is called Attack on Fort Wagner, but it's from the soundtrack. It's very clear which one it's talking about. To me, it sounds a lot like Temple of Doom, and I found myself wanting to sing Ramu Ta Rama type over the top of it. I don't know, did it remind you of anything.
Speaker 2: You had sent me a text asking me to be aware of this and listen, and yeah, I didn't think about Temple of Doom, but yeah, I get what you're saying with that. I was actually thinking more of O Fortuna from Carmina Burana and even a little bit of Duel of the Fates from Star Warckers and hekay, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know the climactic chorus with the orchestra, and so yeah, those are my two picks.
Speaker 1: The memorable piece to me is not Assault on Fort Wagner. It's a piece called Epitaph to War. I intentionally did not go and listen to the soundtrack as I was kind of putting all of this together because sometimes when I think, oh, this sounds like this, then I go and compare it. My brain, thinking I want to find the connection, starts finding the dissimilarities. So I didn't want that to happen. But Epitaph to War I could recall, like when I see I watched Glory, I don't know, a couple of weeks weks ago for the first time, probably in ten or fifteen years, and I remembered Epitaph to War. I remembered that melody. I remembered those voices, just the haunting vocal harmonies, and it stayed with me. I love that piece. Glory wasn't a blockbuster. Its production budget was approximately eighteen million, its worldwide box office was only around twenty seven million, so by Hollywood standards, it was successful like it, you know, out competed its budget, But it wasn't the movie everyone was talking about in nineteen eighty nine, and we've mentioned those movies earlier. It didn't dominate popular culture. It didn't become an instant franchised, but it quietly found an audience, and then it found another, and then it found another. Schools began showing it history, teachers began adopting it. College classrooms used it, military historians discussed it, and generations of students encountered the fifty fourth mass choose its through this film. And I think you gave the best example of this, a movie that you had not even seen. Your twenty six year old son comes in and he says, hey, Dad, you need to know about this movie. And he probably wasn't twenty six, It probably wasn't recently. It was probably years ago.
Speaker 2: It was back when he was in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, there, there you go. So he saw it in school and said, man, this is fantastic. Dad, you gotta you gotta check this out. You gotta watch this. Its cultural influence eventually became much larger than its commercial footprint. Well, Dirk, do you have a countdown for us right here? I know you love countdowns. Yeah, I love love countdowns. But I think this kind of paints a picture of where Glory fit in nineteen eighty nine. Okay, so I'm looking at the box office for the weekend of December twenty second through the twenty fourth, nineteen eighty nine. Number one will not surprise anyone. It was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Speaker 2: Number two. I have to admit I was actually contributing to this one being number two. I went to go see number two on Christmas Eve. It was Tango and Cash, Sylvester Stallone and Kirk Russell.
Speaker 1: And you remember that specifically eighty nine Christmas Eve, you went and saw it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'll tell you why. Again. This was my senior year, and as with a lot of you out there, you probably have a lot of family traditions, and we, of course had family traditions. For Christmas Eve. You spent it with your parents, You open the one present, you watch the Christmas movie, you hung out as a family. Well, I had some friends that wanted we got our driver's licenses now, and we wanted to go see something or do something. And they said, we're going to go see Tangoing Cash. And I said, okay, can I go see Tangoing Cash? And my parents, being awesome who they were, they said sure and they let me go. And so that was sort of the beginning of me kind of doing more of my own stuff and kind of leaving the nest. Before I left the nest, that was just one It's the only reason I really distinctly remember that was when we saw that very nice number.
Speaker 1: What's go ahead? Oh, I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Number three was War the Roses with Michael Douglas and gosh, I'm drawing a blank a Kathleen Turner. Kathleen, I just want to say, ye, Kathleen Turner, Yes, War the Roses. Do you want to know where Glory fits in on the box office for that weekend?
Speaker 1: Was it number four? No?
Speaker 2: Try again?
Speaker 1: Was it top ten?
Speaker 2: No, I'll give you one more guess.
Speaker 1: Tell me I have no clue.
Speaker 2: It was number thirty four. And as you just said, it grossed over one hundred thousand, so.
Speaker 1: Well, which yeah, I mean one hundred thousand, that's all what five people went and saw it in each city? It was.
Speaker 2: This, Well, you said the box office was twenty seven million, so yeah, clearly under one hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: But that's not much. Well one hundred thousand, that's one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying Glory was under that mark. You had already said it was twenty seven thousand, that had earned.
Speaker 1: No, twenty seven million. That it earned twenty seven million, so its budget was eighteen million. It earned twenty seven million worldwide.
Speaker 2: Okay, I better understand. No, this weekend. It earned about like sixty five thousand dollars or something. It was very small in.
Speaker 1: A box of Crocker Jacks. So this is not the first movie that we've discussed that it did okay in theaters, but it kind of took on second life later. Can you what are the ones that we covered that talked about that dirt?
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's almost all of them. I mean, you got to start with Star Wars. They didn't think that was going to do near what it did. You've got Caddy Shack. Caddy Shack, that's the one I'm thinking of, and you've got spinal Tap. Spinal Tap has lived way longer than anyone ever dreamed it would have been. So but I think out of those, it's got to be Caddy Shack for the slam Dunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it kind of took on new life with cable and VHS and that kind of thing, Right, Am I remembering that one? Yes?
Speaker 2: And I would say it's the most main stream of all the ones we've talked about so far. A lot of people love Spinal Tap, a lot of people love Airplane That there's something about Candy Shack that everybody knows about.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and shout out to our third episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to us.
Speaker 1: Clearly, clearly, there's no accident on legend here, it's just us. So here's what I think maybe the movie's greatest accomplishment. Before Glory, the fifty fourth Massachusetts was a subject for historians. No one knew about the fifty fourth. I sure didn't. You didn't. I mean, we were, you know, seventeen eighteen years old. After Glory, people studied African American Civil War history, Black Civil War reenactors multiplied, New monuments were built. The African American Civil War Memorial and Museum opened in Washington, d C. Scholars started digging deeper into archives. And let me say this, A lot of Glory is based on a couple of books that were written in you know, twenty but also the letters of Robert shawp. So it has some pretty clear historical precedents for what happened. So one historian observed that because of the popular interest generated by Glory, Americans became more aware that freedom was not simply bestowed. Many fought and died for it. Even the title Dirk carries Weight. So on July twenty eighth, eighteen sixty three, In the addition, in that day's edition of the Columbus Inquirer, which I believe is Columbus, Ohio Shout out Columbus, it reported that first Sergeant Robert John Simmons came to fight for glory. He later wrote, and this was the quote, God has protected me through this my first fiery leaden trial, and I do give him the glory. So that one word, it means something very different.
Speaker 2: After you know the story, that's pretty incredible. Let me ask you this question, Matt, do you think do you think a movie can actually change history? And I'm not talking about the facts. I'm thinking more the way people remember the facts.
Speaker 1: I definitely think it can change perception. That's what's been happening with movies for the last certainly the last twenty years. Perception can shift because of a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I totally agree. I mean, I think this is a good tool that movies and TV mini series and things can do is get into the micro history, you know, get out of the weeds of what's in the book, and say what about this one moment, and that one moment can really open your eyes change your perception of I neverly thought about it that way. You know, it kind of grounds you more at a human level.
Speaker 1: Well, and I really like that you call it a micro history because I'm thinking about the movie Gettysburg. It came out in nineteen ninety three. It was the kind of the overall, here's what happened at Gettysburg, and we're gonna follow General Lee, We're gonna follow Stonewall Jackson, we're gonna follow you know, Longstreet, and we're gonna follow Chamberlain, and we're gonna look at all these different angles in the same battle. You know. I talked to our Hurley boy this week, Jason and d of the shirlead You Can't Be Serious podcasts, and I said, you guys need to do Glory versus Gettysburg. I think that would be a fantastic matchup because the approach to both movies is so different, you know. And we could probably do Gettysburg ourselves because Gettysburg it's a four hour, flipping movie, but it's kind of got this cult following and has really upped the awareness of Gettysburg. In the Battle of Gettysburg if you can up it. I mean, it's got a you know, a speech named after it. But I told them I said, this would be a great versus episode because they're so different in the philosophies behind they're making. We're so different. You've got this overall general bird's eye. We're going to cover everything versus the micro history, and I think it would be fascinating.
Speaker 2: Well, you heard it right here, gentlemen. Make it so.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. And you know, while we're talking about Shirley, they suggested an episode for us back in their Rio Speedwagon episode on high infidelity, and I have picked up that challenge and that is going to be featured this season on Accidental Legends. Shout out to Shirley. You can't be serious.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, all right. So here's the paradox.
Speaker 1: Most people can't quote the dialogue from this movie at all. Most people don't remember the box office, but they remember, they remember trips flogging, they remember the charge on Fort Wagner, they remember the mass grave. And very few films create images that become part of a national historical imagination, and that's what Glory did. So in recognition of that legacy, the film was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry in twenty thirteen. It's an honor reserve for films considered culturally, historically, and esthetically significant. And so that is perhaps the ultimate confirmation that Glory stopped being just a movie and it became part of the American historical record. Dirk, do you know anything about the National Film Registry? Can you shed any light on that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a registry that keeps a log of national films. Now, I really, you know, shame on me. I really should of all people do it, lest I should know about the National Film Registry, But I think you've just given me a homework assignment. Embarrassing here, But.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you pre episode what to study before all of this, Dirk. I can't do your job in mind too.
Speaker 2: I'll get some text on this later.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, this is Jen Dirk's wife. Since I'm on summer break from teaching, I thought i'd just dial in and help you guys out since you needed a little help with the National Film Registry. You know, Derk, I kind of expect more from a varsity film student.
Speaker 4: You got a degree in our tvf.
Speaker 6: Anyway, the big picture summary is that it was to protect the film heritage, and it was the Library of Congress.
Speaker 4: That passed and act It was the Act in the Reagan administration. It was put into law Public Law one zero zero four four six. It was signed by President Ronald Reagan in September twenty seventh, nineteen eighty eight. It was to protect and preserve important American films from lost, decay and alteration.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't just Hollywood films. It was also documentaries, home videos, and the National Film Preservation Act was run by the Library of Congress. So it started in eighty eight. They decided to add only up to twenty five films, and it was to kind of preserve our American culture. And funny that you should mention Glory. Glory was just selected in the twenty twenty five class and it was over thirty six years later. Now there were some silent films like Lady in the Tramp that was from the eighteen hundreds. I believe we'd have to check me on that one. But it's supposed to serve as the permanent cultural archive, so people that own the films would donate them. They really wanted to preserve it in its natural film state.
Speaker 4: They didn't want it to be altered.
Speaker 6: So a lot of people did not like the colorizing of black of Mike Films because it did not preserve its original format. Just let me know if you need a tutorial later on that. I could definitely do another deep dive, haven't I say? Guys?
Speaker 1: Glory was not just an accidental legend in terms of its longevity, but it won some awards. It won five nomination for Oscars. It got three wins, including Denzel Washington's Best Supporting Actor. It won Best Cinematography, and I wasn't sure what the third one was. But three Academy Awards but five nomination. We mentioned already the standard classroom film and arguably introduced more Americans than to the fifty fourth Massachusetts than any single history textbook of the late twentieth century.
Speaker 2: So one final, Matt, I want to jump in. I have the third award. It was Best Sound. Okay, yeah, okay, so that's the three best sound.
Speaker 1: Yes, most Civil War movies tell us how battles were fought. Glory asked who had been left out of the story, and history has been answering that question ever since. And maybe that is the definition of an accidental legend. Not a movie that makes the most money, a movie that changes what a nation remembers. There are movies that make money, there are movies that win awards, and there are movies that quietly changed the way a country remembers itself. Glory didn't become a legend because it was perfect, because historians debate its accuracy. Timelines were compressed, characters were combined, they had an aachronistic stuff in it. But it accomplished something extraordinarily rare. It became the public memory of the fifty fourth Massachusetts. And that's why we're still talking about not because it conquered the box office, but because a chance encounter with a monument in Boston became the movie that taught millions of Americans that freedom was not simply bestowed. It was fought for. And many of the men who fought for it had been forgotten until Glory remembered them. And I love that, and that's why it's been an accident in a legend today. Derk any final closing thoughts on Glory for.
Speaker 2: You, none for me other than I just want to say good find. I'm really glad you picked this up. When you first told me about it, I thought, well, this could be a challenge because it just was not on my radar. So thank you. It was exciting, It was really it was really good talking about this.
Speaker 1: So what do you have in store for us next week?
Speaker 2: Derk, Well, unfortunately I don't have any coincidental dates or weeks like that, but we are going to stay into the movie industry. We're gonna get back into songs later. But next week, let's talk about family, and let's talk about loyalty. Let's talk about The Godfather and the movie that almost was not what it.
Speaker 1: Became okay, which is kind of like another way to say an accidental legend.
Speaker 2: Indeed, So that's going to rip.
Speaker 1: It for us, guys. Thank you so much, uch for listening. Thank you for supporting us and listening and giving your time to our little project, our little labor of love, and listen like, subscribe, follow, get notified when we drop episodes. We drop them every week on Tuesday night at midnight. Text us, email us at Accidental Legends pod at gmail dot com. But most of all, have a great week, and thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: Hope you guys come back and Matt I'll talk to you next week as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, see ya,