Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to Laura Kane after dark. Happy Monday. Dude, it is the middle of August almost.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Okay. By the way, where did summer go? Was there even a summer? Did we have summer?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Kids are back in school starting.
Speaker 2: I don't. All I've done is work I have.
Speaker 1: I don't know last like I think know in July, kids in the South Bay went back. Kids are going back to school a lot earlier than we did. What to say, get your kid wait for me. It's not very nice anyway. I'm Laura Kane. This is Eric Rimmer.
Speaker 2: I got an applause from the audience.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you producer Brian, Hello, welcome back from your little trip. That's where we weren't on last week because we can't. We cannot function without Brian. We literally cannot find We're bumbling idiots now. We're not well kind of, We're just old and don't know how to work equipment right. Okay, So we have a very special guest on with us tonight, doctor Luke Swiston. See these babies right here, life changing decision that I made. Now, my gosh, I said three years ago. Good I'm sorry, but totally changed my life, outlook, confidence, everything the best. But anyway, he has a story. We have a story to tell you about my sister and why she was down here today with me and doctor Swiston and her story and her journey she's about to go on. And there are so many different there are different choices now with regard to breast implants. There's like there's so many different things you can do, so many different options that when I walked away, I was in there for part of the consultation. When she got you know, when she got undressed, she's like, get out of here. It's okay, I'm your sister, come on whatever, but anyway, uh perv no, I just you know, we're family, We're family. But whatever. So she at a private moment with the doctor and I understand that, but whatever, you know, kind of hurt my feelings a little bit. That's okay, the big deal. I'm just kidding. But before we have doctor Swiston on, oh, he's going to talk about all the things that are that are new as far as cosmetic surgery. He's with Lejuaii Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 2: And I should probably take notes.
Speaker 1: Like I'm do you know, about three sixty LiPo. Do you know about BBL? Do you know about it? I know, So there's like a lot of like, really, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what three sixty LiPo is.
Speaker 1: Ah, well, we'll get I don't want to speak out of turn, but I think I know it's kind I'm I'm thinking that it's when you're almost like like a roasted ham on a spick, where like you turn three sixty lipoh, you like get around.
Speaker 2: I might need it for my head.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that's not how they do it, but that's like how I see it. Like you get the whole entire body.
Speaker 2: It's like incredible, just an apple in your mouth and you're just like, oh.
Speaker 1: No, doctor Swist is probably like shut up, that's not the way it is.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I know he's so awesome. I can't wait for you guys to meet it. But we thought we'd do a little bit of double D first before we bring on our special guest. Yes, do we have some double day news. I'm sure we do. We always do. Oh in there might be a special correspondent opportunity.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I know I know who it is. Okay, Yeah, direct from Hollywood, Yes, direct from just just here for the Double D News.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and uh and of course doctor Swist.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Paris Hilton's marriage to Carter Rome maybe on the rocks over her refusal to give up the spotlight despite being a mother to two toddlers.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, and did you hear the other parson at Hilton News. Did you hear what she got for her birthday? No? From this husband?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: A pink jet okay, with stenciled on the side of the jet. It's on some fancy, the fanciest private jet you can get. That's hot.
Speaker 2: Oh come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was her birthday present. So at least you know she got a big gift before things go downhill, I guess, dude, she'll.
Speaker 2: Be able to fly to see her divorce lawyer a lot easier. Kelly Clarkson's ex husband, Brandon Blackstock, died at forty eight of cancer. She has canceled the remainder of her residency in Vegas.
Speaker 1: That's so sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like, even though they had all that kind of bad blood between them, that she's don't well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you marry somebody, you have kids with somebody, you're always gonna love that person. Maybe you're not going to Maybe they're not in love, maybe they you know, they've had you know, maybe he's not wasn't the nicest person to her, or vice versa. Whatever. But it's still gonna hurt your heart. You lose somebody like that a big part of her life for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Their kids are still really young.
Speaker 1: That's so sad.
Speaker 2: Remember Lonnie Anderson from w KRP in Cincinnati. Yes, she died just days before her eightieth birthday.
Speaker 1: No, are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We went Remember we went on that, Yes, that tour. It was like a big a meet and greet of some old school celebrities.
Speaker 2: Elie Barbara Eden.
Speaker 1: The one thing she told me because she looked incredible. Yeah, this was about five years ago. I said, what is the one piece of advice you could give another woman, you know, to look like this, you know, at your age. And She's like, moisture eye, moisturize, moisturize every morning, every night, your entire body always moisturize. And I'm like from that, I was like, from that point on, that's all that I've been doing that so hopefully it will at eight it's working.
Speaker 2: It's working, Thank you. Netflix downgraded their massive contract and escapes a one hundred dollars one hundred million dollar loss with Harry and Meghan. Wait, so everything that they've done so far for Netflix has just not been successful. Oh okay, so somehow Netflix was able to kind of downgrade their own contract with them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they have a they currently have a contract with them to produce more content with them, and now they don't have to produce as much content with.
Speaker 4: Them because she's like a poison pill to anything saving them hundred million?
Speaker 1: Well doesn't Does she have something currently on Netflix?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but she just seems to be unlikable.
Speaker 1: In all ways.
Speaker 2: It's a cooking show that was the most recent with her that nobody liked, that everybody trashed.
Speaker 4: Because I think she might just be perhaps the most pretentious person to ever exist. I just do you give that vibe?
Speaker 1: Do you think that she is to blame for the whole fallout with the royal family?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 4: Well, but only like ninety percent of it. There's ten percent that's him for sure, But I bet she was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think the royals needed, like need a change to go at the times? Or should they stay exactly the same?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 4: It the doesn't matter, but is it the.
Speaker 2: Circumstance?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that should stay the same.
Speaker 4: It literally doesn't matter because they're meaningless.
Speaker 1: Well they're meaningful to that country, but.
Speaker 4: They have like no actors. They don't have like no inherent meaning besides the fact they're just you know, inherent celebrities. Yeah, so it doesn't really matter what they do because they have very little actual, you know, purpose outside of just pomp and circumstance.
Speaker 1: Well, he's the king now, right, I mean with.
Speaker 4: No power, like when I don't even know what the king of what was the king do?
Speaker 1: I don't really know.
Speaker 2: The king of the island of Chad like I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, they don't have to. They can be a traditional lord or as forward thinking as they want. I don't think it matters. Nothing will change because of it.
Speaker 1: I just feel sorry for Harry because he doesn't get any security as far as you know, watching his back. If somebody wants to, like, you know, kidnap him or something. He has no inheritance anymore.
Speaker 4: If that's what he'll be fine. He's still very very rich.
Speaker 1: Well he's he did come up with that book. I don't know if that made any money. Did you read his book?
Speaker 4: He's got money, He'll be fine. Yeah, he'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Thanks for Reaure.
Speaker 4: I would not be worried about the the you know, just because some prince lost his fortune. Wouldn't be too worried family. But it was his choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the Naked Gunery boot?
Speaker 1: No? I saw a couple.
Speaker 2: Of weeks ago. I watched it and it was very funny. Hamla Anderson was great in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was really good.
Speaker 1: Who was good in it?
Speaker 2: CaMLA Anderson? She was great in it. Rumors are that she and Liam Neeson are dating. I saw that, and I'm not mad about that. I think they're a very sweet couple together.
Speaker 4: Wait, since when has he been single?
Speaker 2: His wife died in the skiing accident years years ago.
Speaker 4: Single since then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, so it's.
Speaker 2: And I love him and I love her.
Speaker 1: So I think it's very sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think she needs somebody like that. Jennifer Lopez battles a grasshopper during her recent concert. Did you see the footage of this?
Speaker 1: Would have been freaking out.
Speaker 2: So a huge grasshopper while she's singing lands like right about here and just crawls up and like rests on her neck, and she's.
Speaker 1: Just gonna She did not like Miss a b. She just kept singing this big giant things crawling up her neck.
Speaker 2: I would have been out of it. If it would have been a spider out.
Speaker 1: Of there, I'm sorry. The grasshopper would have freaked out.
Speaker 2: The grasshopper would not if it was a roach or a spider, that would have been curtains for me.
Speaker 1: She didn't even look down to see what it was, so I would have known.
Speaker 2: I would have dropped dead on stage and that would have been it.
Speaker 1: You would have thrown them.
Speaker 2: I know there would have been time. I would have just died right there. My God, So I'll go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh is it time for me the special course?
Speaker 2: Oh, special correspondent from La lur King.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the odds on next year's Super Bowl halftime performer here we go. What do you think about these names and who do you think will get it? Jay Z reportedly the favorite to headline nowhere No okay, followed by post alone No maybe?
Speaker 2: But is he the one with the tattoos all over his face?
Speaker 1: One of the ones. There's a there's a couple of guys yes, but yes, Miley Cyrus maybe.
Speaker 4: I would be I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Miley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bad Money probably not like that. Yeah, I think it would be good. And then Metallica. How about the Metallica that would be.
Speaker 4: The halftime super Bowl show is boring though anyways.
Speaker 1: Not always depends on I mean, if you like the person that you're that's playing, you're gonna like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're watching a lame You're watching a short, lame concert on TV.
Speaker 1: Kendrick Lamar was not lame. It was good with all the dancing of the choreography, and.
Speaker 4: I will not be watching regardless of who performs.
Speaker 1: Well, you are negative.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying like, I think it's I don't know, I think it's overblown down.
Speaker 2: I had one of the best halftime shows ever.
Speaker 1: I know that halftime show. I don't remember that. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: The last one I remember was j Lo and.
Speaker 2: Oh Yeah, which you're just Shakira is that girl?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was they were like on poles dancing on poles. I remember that, the pole dancing.
Speaker 4: I just remember being kind of bored.
Speaker 1: Wow with Shakira.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's hot, she's so hot.
Speaker 1: She's incredibly hot. So ed Cheron says there are a lot of singers who lip sync, and he would never admit it. Sure, he goes, you know what, I'm not one of them because it's just me and the guitar and there's no one else to cover me. So I don't lip sync. But there are many, many, many who No, he didn't. Now is this cute or is this creepy? Benny Blanco, you know how he's dating Selena Gomez. He says that when she is out of town or they're apart for a while, he wears her perfume on himself just so he feels her close to her.
Speaker 4: That's fine. I don't think that's weird.
Speaker 1: You don't think it's creepy at all.
Speaker 4: That's the same thing with the chicks wearing their boyfriend's hoodies because it smells like them.
Speaker 1: Oh I loved him. Oh if that makes me want a boyfriend, just to do that. Okay, now it's cue some music because we have someone very special. I can't wait to introduce you guys to doctor Luke Swiston. Come on up, it's time, Oh, bring your bring your the bag of goodies for Eric. You sneak right in here. I know it's really tight quarters. Here, I got this for you. There we go, Eric Jacket, I know he's so okay. I want to know what car you drove to get here, because he has some very nice vehicles. That's like one of your passions, right.
Speaker 3: Maybe I grew up in Europe, so yes, oh.
Speaker 1: You grew up. Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 3: This one's for Eric.
Speaker 1: Oh so excited.
Speaker 3: Then I thought I would like bring break up the tension here, so yes, put these on right.
Speaker 1: See he'll be playing with that the entire Oh my gosh, I'm I know. Isn't that? Don't they feel so great?
Speaker 2: You know I have it's I have one of those little stress balls at work. Yes, and it ruptured today.
Speaker 1: It did. You were so stressed out stress ball? Wait? Is that a that was a joke.
Speaker 4: We gave him a thousand dollars implant.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not gonna be like I'm never giving it back.
Speaker 3: My gosh.
Speaker 1: Now is this a silicone or is this saline?
Speaker 3: That's a silicone implant. That's one of the new ones that is out in the market right now. It's called Motiva, and uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, how are they? How's Motiva different than than your average implant.
Speaker 3: Well, they basically they've they've been on the market for a while and part of what they tout is that they have the lowest implant contracture or capsule contractor rates, which, as you you're probably familiar with from this morning. Yes, that was one of the issues that we faced with my sister.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is what happened, this is this is why I was with doctor Swiston today. Jenny, my sister, I call her Jenny, but Jennifer, she goes by. She got breast implants in two thousand and four, and she went pretty large because at that point in her life, you know, that's something she wanted. And over the years, that's a long time, twenty one years, and you know, the implants are not supposed to last you your entire life necessarily, But she was starting to get all sorts of pain and hard, really hard, Like she could feel the scar tissues starting to form and they were becoming bigger, and she she's like, I don't know what is going on. So I'm like, you need to come down and talk to somebody at La Joya cosmetic surgery center, And I'm so glad it's doctor Swiston because doctor Swist's the one that that did my breast augmentation. And I couldn't be happier. I'm like you, you just need to come down. So this morning she came down. We met, and the things that I learned today about the choices you have as a woman for breast implants or or not are are many. She walked away from meeting with you with a whole new outlook. She with us, she might go with a procedure that she didn't even know was available to her. So maybe you can explain maybe kind of what you saw that she had. She she's okay with me talking about all this, by the way, what you saw like in when you were examining her and the different options that she has available to her.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, yeah, and thank you for having me here, by the ways, of course. But yeah, so you know, the long story short is, implants are not mentalist forever. They have a shelf life that is shorter than anybody's lifespan. And I will say that to anybody at any age. I mean, there are patients who asked for a remove and replace of an implant at the age of like seventy five and seventy seven. We had this conversation, She's like, you know, you know that implant is you know, on average they only last about ten thirteen fifteen years before they rupture or have a complication on average. So if you put one in at even seventy five, you have there's a realistic chance that you might have another surgery in your lifetime to have to deal with the complications or remove it at some point. So a lot of patients kind of are aware of that, and you know a lot of patients that I see specifically are looking for other options. They've had implants for a long time. Some have enjoyed them tremendously and you know that was like the best outcome, and some have had, you know, issues maybe earlier on. I think the life cycle of the implant that your sister had is not atypical. She had them for twenty years, give or take, and you know they've lasted her without any problems for about the first thirteen to fifteen that's statistically around the time. And afterwards she developed the dreaded complication, which is a capsular contracture, which basically means the heart the cart isssue around that implant has gotten really hard.
Speaker 1: And therefore causes her pain correct and different issues that she didn't even realize were associated with the implant, like pain in her back, pain in her neck. She thought was just her she's a hairdresser, her being on her feet and working, and but it's you said, it's kind of like the implant is kind of.
Speaker 3: For so, yeah, specifically anatomically, your body will have to compensate for that for an object that is placed in side of there. And uh, you know, the bigger for an object, the more your body is to compensate, the more it's affected by gravity, so to speak, and pretty much everything else. And eventually the posture takes a little bit of a toll, like because you're carrying all that extra weight. In addition to that, if the implant is under the muscle, then your muscular skeletal system is shifted just a little bit to compensate for that. But you know, the pctoral muscle is now away from the chest with the implant in between, which is not how you were born. And that implant, I'm sorry, that pectoral muscle also to some extent, misaligns the entire shoulder I would say, the rotator cuff, the deltoid, and even the back of the scalpule and the rhomboid muscles and the trapezius muscle on the back. They're just a little misaligned because of that implant being in the way. And if you multiply that by a decade or two, that can add you know that that can equate into some muscle imbalance, and therefore muscles sort of react by spasming eventually, and patients get a lot of upper body pain and upper muscular you know, strain and because of that, And really the cure for that is really just get the implant out of the picture and a lot of these things just go away, they reset themselves. And I've seen that very consistently so a lot of patients.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing I like about your our encounter today with your sister is that she came in with a different plan. I mean, she kind of did the traditional thing, like, well, the implant is a problem, let's remove it and replace it, which is sort of if you don't have a long conversation patients about their goals, that's sort of the go to solution. It's like, oh yeah, let's just put another one in. But I like to spend a little bit more time and see what are the patient's goals. How much tissue do you have? Maybe we can do something different. Sometimes we can go schoo out smaller, and very frequently in my experience, we can actually remove the implant and rearrange the tissue that the patient has to give her a really nice breast shape and volume without using an implant. And this is the change in our plan that she was actually very happy with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she went in thinking, Okay, I definitely want to go smaller because you know, at this time of her life, she's that's not something she wants or big giant boobs. You know, she wants to you know, not have the strain and just look a little bit more proportionate, proportionate, And she walked away. I had no idea that this was an option that you can actually use some of your She has a lot of extra tissue, and you can. It's almost like clay in a way. It sounds like like you mold it into that tissue into it's your own tissue, correct into a and then you I don't know, how does that work?
Speaker 3: Well, basically it's called an auto augmentation technique. So bottom line is, yes, as most patients as they age, there is something that happens to the breast that makes all the breast tissue bigger. There's just more tissue there. The patients gained weight a little bit, some of the volume will go into the breast. But in addition, there is hormonal changes in the body that induce glandular hypertrophis, and there's more breast gland there as well. That happens during you know, during breastfeeding, that happens during menopause. So typically at the age that your sister is at, there is a little bit more tissue there than there was when she was originally getting her augmentation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was like, wait, why all of a sudden, am I like a triple D when she was like a D, just that she wanted to be like a high C small D when she first got the implants, and then all of a sudden, she's like a triple and she goes, I want to get a new How did they get so big? She didn't gain like a ton of weight, but like you said, hormones changes in just life changes, you know, to grow older.
Speaker 3: And her goals were actually aligned with what we were both thinking, is that you want to be smaller, you want to be more comfortable, but her intent was still like, well, I assume they don't have to put another implant in there to get to that goal. Maybe you do a lift at the same time to improve the shape. But in her case, because she had a lot of volume of her own breast tissue, I think when I showed her, you know, after my examination and really seeing her tissue and being able to examine how much tissue there is in different places of her breast, I was convinced that we can actually use that tissue, rearrange it into a nicer three dimensional breast contour without an implant, and still give her a very satisfactory result.
Speaker 1: And you know, she told me that her doctor she was getting she was getting all sorts of other not feeling good, some point pain, and she went to the doctor and he said, well, you may or may not have lupus, but I'm not sure, so we're gonna keep an eye. And she's like, wait what And turns out a lot of what happens with the older implants and changes like this is symptoms that mimic other things.
Speaker 3: Other inplanatory diseases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this taking out her implants could cure so many things that she's suffering from right now, and that's just such a wonderful thing that she could still have feel womanly and feel you know, curvaceous and feel like, you know, pretty and confident.
Speaker 2: Was there any risk of just because of how long they had been in a like it leaking or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we don't know that. I mean, she she a lot of times. Whenever a patient has a castle contracture, it's usually preceded by an implant rupture, so that she has silicone implants, and sometimes of the plant ruptures, the silicle and jail comes out of the implant shell and gets in contact with the surrounding scar tissue and that induces more inflammation, which in terms makes that capsule contract and get tighter and thicker, and it turns from like something that looks like saran wrap, which is nice and loose, to something that feels like tupperware, very very uncomfortable, especially if it's under the muscle, so that implant could be ruptured. The real way to tell is actually get an MRI that is the most sensitive and specific study for an implant rupture. But if we already made the decision to remove the implant, then it doesn't really matter. We're going that's not going to change our management, so we don't necessarily need one in order to do her surgery.
Speaker 1: In your in recent years, have you noticed a change in what women are wanting as far as like size, shape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things like that. I may be a bias to pin. I sort of focus in that area kind of more than anything. So because of that, I get a skewed population of patients who are looking to be smaller. I think, though, the trend is that the volume is a little overrated. I suppose. I think nice and proportionate is always in. It's always going to be a good style. But I think lots of patients complain to me about like, oh my god, it's you know, it's Pam Anderson, it's bay Watch, It's this is why I did it. You know that twenty years ago, this is what was hot and everybody want to look like her. And I did it because I saw that on TV, and that was just a trend at that time to be just a little extra, a little bit more voluptuous. I think nowadays I'm seeing more and more patients are feeling very, very comfortable with just nice proportionate contours, sporty, athletic, not necessarily over leveluptuous. And I think this numbers speak for themselves. I mean, as one of the largest practices in San Diego, we are definitely seeing a drop off in how many augmentations we do. I think it used to be a lot more in the past, and it's a little bit less now. And in addition to that, I think patients are tending towards smaller implant sizes, which is also reflective with that.
Speaker 1: So what have you noticed is getting hotter and hotter? What's like the thing that everybody wants? Is it the three sixty and is it? Did I describe that right or not at all?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I suppose anything natural, you know, is a big trend. I think patients do want to go back to natural and organic.
Speaker 1: And you know, like I was born this way right, born perfect?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I mean touching on that. You know, the three six lighte was a great example of that because you described it perfectly. It's basically, we basically put a stick through the patient and roast them. Oh my god, just kidding. We basically I do reposition the patient multiple times, but three sixty liposuction is literally just LiPo section all around, which basically includes the torso. So in the past, you know patients have a problem area, oh I hate my abdomen, I hate my flanks, and we would just you know, the doctors would focus on LiPo section in that area. But in reality, if you just focus on one area and ignore the others, then that may sort of look disproportionate, And if that patient gains weight in the future, then it gets really dispropos because the area that wasn't addressed now gets too big relative to the area that was and things just start looking really weird. So the better thing to do is just blend these areas together, and like the ultimate way to do it is to really just do a three six, to just go all around the torsu and really contouring everything congruently and evenly, so that even if weight changes happen in the future, they happen in a favorable even fashion apposed to focal.
Speaker 1: As a relative of my sister, obviously we share the same genes. Would it be possible for me to use some of her extra fat in my.
Speaker 3: Butt only if you're genetically identical twins. Oh, that's the only and I have yet to do that case. I actually came across this is an interesting question that happens all the time. Whenever you have patients. It's like, oh, we have to fat crafting, and that the husband or the sisters always like, can I donate some fat? The reality is yes you can if you are a genetically identical twin.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, if you're not, the body just rejected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a basically a transplant. And you know, obviously we're not going to put you on transplant drugs to keep fat. You know, that's not the purpose of that. It's too many side effects associated with that, so it's not even done. It's not a consideration. I did have a genetically I did have a patient one time that did not have a little a lot of fat, and she had very little breast volume. She did not want an implant. She wanted to do fat grafting to her breast to increase her volume. And she said, can anybody donate fat to me? And they said same thing, only if you jenal I don't gole twin, And she said I actually do. Oh can we bring her in? I'm like sure, that would be awesome. You know, let's actually explore this because I was. I get really excited about it. It turns out that her sister is also very very thin, you know. They're also an issue with like not a lot of fat to donate, so and she's kine and she wouldn't go for it. She's busy, you know.
Speaker 1: So it was kind of just gain some weight gain like twenty pounds just.
Speaker 3: But I was this close to that. Oh, I really want to do that.
Speaker 1: It seems like you really love like a challenge. You love a new kind of a newer case, like something you've never seen before. Like what what excites you most of all about being a h do you like being called a plastic surgeon? Are you a cosmetic surgeon? What do you like to be called?
Speaker 3: I mean, we graduate with plastic and reconstructive, you know, and I did an aesthetic plastic surgery fellowship so as as opposed to cosmetic surgeons. And I know what that la JOYA cosmetic is cosmetic? You know that that word though there's a little bit of a stigma. There's a lot of non surgeons, non plastic surgeons, who do some sort of a course in something like let's say, breast augmentation or liposuction or something, and they call themselves cosmetic surgeons, which is actually a tell tale they're not actually a plastic surgeon. If you're a plastic surgeon, you call yourself a plastic surgeon, maybe with an aesthetic fellowship background that kind of thing. As you know, a cosmetic surgeon typically implies I'm a doctor who was board certified in something else, potentially internal medicine or maybe even general surgery. I never did a plastic surgery fellowship, and you know, and that's that's so the answer your quest is a very long answer to your question.
Speaker 1: But plussicers, if you were on an airplane and you were next to somebody who just started choking and like was was dying on the floor, could you do like a trickyotomy, like oh my gosh, I was getting so freaked out.
Speaker 3: Well, like, I have a pretty the extensive background. I did military training in the past.
Speaker 1: I was now what is your background?
Speaker 3: Talk about that a little bit. Well, I originally graduated from Chicago for undergrad and then I did medical school at University of Illinois, and then, as you know at the time, the Navy paid for that scholarship, So then I owed the Navy time back. It's called an HPSP program. It's very popular. There's a lot of doctors that I know that went through the same program, but we basically owe them time to give back and do military service, active duty service. So mine happened to be with the Marines, and I happened to deploy twice to Iraq, to Ramadi and five or six oh seven, which was actually a very busy time and air on bar problem in Ramadi at the time, So I saw a lot of combat trauma that I was, you know, handling firsthand. So that's a lot of experience there. And then afterwards I did the general surgery and residency in downtown in Chicago, and we do our trauma training on the South Side of Chicago, which you may or may not know is also a pretty busy place when it comes to gun violence and things like that.
Speaker 1: South Side of Chicago. What's the Chicago accent? When we were trying to do accents the other day, my I butchered it was it south side of Chicago.
Speaker 3: I'm a Polish Chicago I was.
Speaker 1: I was saying, where are you originally from? You're not originally from Chicago.
Speaker 3: Was born in Poland. Yes, oh, okay, okay, and here when I was eleven.
Speaker 1: Well, when you were a kid, did you know you wanted to be a doctor? No, what did you want to be? You want to be a race card run Probably you have an affinity for that.
Speaker 3: I think I wanted to be a pilot, and I think, yeah, I think that time that will be my You know that if if I couldn't do plastic surgery, you told me I could do anything else in life, probably like a fighter pilot will be good wow, or a race car drive will be a close second, I suppose, but you know fighter pilot is three dimension though it's even better.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just curious. You don't have to I don't know what did you drive here today?
Speaker 3: It's just a little modest lotus I know.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love your Instagram because then you have kids and they're in the back. Is there a backseat in that one?
Speaker 3: There is? Yeah. You can fit a four year old in an eight year old very comfortably in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, what's BBL exactly? So?
Speaker 3: BBL is a Brazilian butt lift. It's just basically a kind of an acronym for you know, three sixty LiPo in general, and then fat transfer to the buttock.
Speaker 1: Now do you do like actual button plants where you put an implant like this in a butt cheek?
Speaker 3: I know how to do it. I would not recommend it, I know.
Speaker 1: Any do you any recommend that.
Speaker 3: There's a few surgeons that do it. I know one person like that I trained with and he has pretty good success. But it's usually for patients who really don't have a lot of fat on their own. They're really you know, looking for other options, and this is sort of the only other option to add volume. Those implants tend to have very high complication rates, especially in the long run, because you sit on them all the time. They do get misplaced, mispositioned, male positioned, and they can become painful. They can flip that space that they live in, can be you know, stretch and extend, and I think in the long run they run into like sixty seventy percent complication rates and eventually they have to be removed. So they're also not forever, and then you're dealing with kind of a deflated buttock again with a little bit of extra skin that grow around it, and it's even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a friend and he could flip the implant in his Oh boy, right, oh boy, just reach up and flip it. And I was all, well, I don't think that's supposed to happen.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that's not an uncommon Oh wow.
Speaker 1: That is so what is an average day for you? Do you like tomorrow? What do you got going on?
Speaker 3: Surgeries are so funny. You should say that I do have a three sixty light bow and fat transfer case, and then I have an ex plant case as well. Oh so when they remove a set of implants in the patient and we are going to just let the natural she's a little bit younger, she didn't have implants for a very long time, so we're gonna go ahead and let her tissue resettle. A lot of times the decision is made like if somebody's thinking about having kids in the future, they want a breastfeed, we don't want to put any additional decisions on the breast, so we allow the shape to just kind of go back to what it's going to be without any surgical oh something.
Speaker 1: My sister said that I'm interested in, now, how you're going to fix now? She's probably this. She might be mad at me for bringing up but she said, along with some of the other things that have happened to her breast, her areolas have gotten bigger. And now how do you I mean you just how do you fix that?
Speaker 3: That's the easy part really, So there's templates we use for that. So basically, okay, like a circle that I hate to use the word cookie cutter, but that's what they call them. Me. Yeah, but you know, when we rearrange the entire breast to do a lift, we basically make certain incisions, and one of the incisions is around the areola, and it's a skin deep incision. We don't remove the areola, we leave it attached to the blood supply and the nerve supply, but we cut the skin around it, and that gives us the opportunity to choose the exact size. And then we make additional skin incisions, re arrange the tissue, and then we put the areola in a place where we want it to be. Usually it's a little higher, and we saw the skin back around it again. But again that intervention allows us to just choose the size of the area.
Speaker 1: What would you say to somebody who's watching or listening right now, who is who wants to get something done, whether it be bigger breasts, smaller breasts, light bulb, but is having trouble making that next step. What do you say to somebody like.
Speaker 3: Hard to answer your question, I suppose to your research, see what's available and see what your goals are. Yeah, you know, the BBL has a lot of stigma. So that's kind of kind of a good example to answer these questions because a lot of patients have this sort of stigmatized you know, when you talk about Brazilian but lift everybody immediate things of Kim Kardashian and the fact that she has a lot of volume down there and nobody really wants to look like that.
Speaker 1: Why does that is that for her own fat? Like? How did she get a body like that? Is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know the details behind her surgery, but I think there is more than just her fat in there. There's there's other fillers that are astronomically expensive for the common folk. But maybe she can afford them, you know, but in those quantities especially, But she is a little bit on the exaggerated side. If you ask me, which is you know, that's what she was going for, then that's okay. Most patients don't want to look like that. In fact, whenever I do a BBL, one of the opening lines the patients say is like, I'm thinking about putting fat into my body, but I don't want to look like Kim Kardashian. I don't want to look overdone. And that's perfect because usually that's that's exactly the focus is. What we want to do is just restore youth. We want to take you back to what you look like in your twenties and stuff, when volume was in the right places and not in the wrong places. Right, and that's the whole point of about three sixty light. But we borrow from where we don't want the fat, and we put it into places where we do want the fat. And the bonus of that is you don't only look better immediately after that surgery, but you age more gracefully because as your weight changes ten twenty thirty years later, you will gain proportionately less in these problem areas where we took fat from, and you're going to gain proportionately more in the area where we actually added that.
Speaker 1: Nice so you gain weight in your tatas and you're ready.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you, speaking of the Kardashians. There's been a lot of talk lately about Lindsay Lohan, Brad Pitt, the Mom, Chris Janner getting a type of facelift that I mean, they all look great.
Speaker 3: When do you know what that's I don't. There's a lot of speculation on it. I haven't really I don't follow celebrities nearly as much as I should, I suppose in my profession, But I think a ponytail lift is one of the terms which I've never done. I know it just has to do with the fact that we're sort of pulling towards the back in every direction. I'm not a good person to describe it. It's not something that I've seen like one or two descriptions of it before, but I've never actually seen it done. Or Yeah, I'm sure there's pros and cons to that, So it's it's not everything is not without you know, pros and cons. A contact correct, So I mean, there may be a scar placement. There's a little bit different than Reagin. Maybe it's the longevity is different. It's there's a lot of nuances that go into that.
Speaker 2: They just sleep with their eyes open.
Speaker 3: Now our last feelings, But I don't know. I mean I shouldn't speak to that. Again, I'm not I'm not an expert on that one.
Speaker 1: Your very favorite? What is your favorite surgery to do? Period?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I have one. I think I just I think their variety is important.
Speaker 1: It seems like you like a challenge to a little bit of like a because to see it like an outcome, like yeah, to see somebody go from this to that.
Speaker 3: I think the bottom lines, I really like happy patients in the end, and that's what I liked about, you know, the explants and if there's patients who come really frustrated with like I'm on my fifth set of implants, I keep getting a capsule contractor at multiple surgeries, blah blah blah, and then like, you know, how can we stop this cycle? And then you remove the implant, you rearrange the tissue and it's smaller, but it's a nice, youthful contour. They're more comfortable, their scars are gone, and they can breathe better, they can relax their shoulders, and they go back to their favorite sports. They're like athletically much more comfortable, you know, doing push ups and upper body and it's it's just like thank you for giving me my life back. That's not an uncommon scenario.
Speaker 1: And I want to say thank you for giving me my confidence back and for giving me a whole new outlook on life. I know it sounds kind of strange thing that just from a breast augmentation, but it's so much more than that. It just it has changed my life in such in such a great way. And literally two days after surgery. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I was at a piano bar and I mean, I don't drink, but I was like living it up and I was dancing. I mean I felt I feel like I maybe I'm a freak case, but I the recovery was next to nothing in my experience. It was just everything was great. And I owe it to you and your expertise obviously, and thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I've been wanting these for a very long time, very in my whole life. I've been very insecure about this part of my body and it just really, really.
Speaker 3: And honestly, that's the best way to use. You know, if you think about it, the only way to significantly increase the volume of a breast is with an implant. There's nothing else out there. We can do fat grafting, but that's not it doesn't nearly increase it as much, and there's huge other limitations to fat grafting, like how much fact you have and how much tissue there is to graft into. So bottom line, the implant is sort of the only option for that result. And as long as we know what sort of what we're getting into the long term goes, you know, they're not forever. You might have to another surgery or you know, the I think we had a conversation about, you know, going a little bit on the smaller side just exactly, and this is exactly what your recovery was, a little bit on the easier side. And also patients who enjoy the implants the longest tend to go a little smaller because the more weight you have to carry around. Sure it may be a huge bang effect for a couple months or years, but eventually those are the patients that come back sooner because that weight takes a toll on their bodies much sooner than patients who go a little bit more modest, smaller augmentation. Those are much more longer lasting results. So I'm glad we had that conversation and I think that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked a lot about and that's what I really appreciated too. He you take a lot of time with your patients, and that that's uh, you don't have a whole lot of time. I mean, you've got surgeries to do, You've got you spent so much time with my sister. I just it means a lot to me that you and it's not just my sister, you do that with every single person.
Speaker 3: We schedule every consultation for about an hour and a half and we frequently go over and it's just because that we that's just how long it takes for us to really arrive at you know, to to inform the patient fully and to have her go through the nuances of what are my options, what are my long term goals? It just takes a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen her smile like that in a while, honestly. When she walked out and I had to rush to work and she had to go, but she was like, She's like, oh my gosh, I think I'm I'm going to do this thing that I never thought I never thought was possible using my own my own tissue and my life is going to change and I'm going to feel so much better. And she just just her whole face lit up, and that's just it's magical. So thank you, and thanks to La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 2: And you guys are awesome.
Speaker 1: Really the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your kind words. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And if there's anything else you're going to say to anybody who's I don't know, thinking about doing something like that, I mean, I don't know, just go for it, I guess. Or get a schedule, consultation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose. Yeah, do your research, see what's available, see what's out there, talking more than one doctor, you know, like, get a consultation, get a second opinion, get a third opinion. This is elective surgery. You should be really comfortable going into this. And if you see three or four surgeons that basically kind of have a similar plan and it's congruent with your goals, then that's probably the right option.
Speaker 1: You only need to see one right here, right, the only one. Well, doctor Swiston, and thank you so much for being here with us, and thank you so much for helping my sister. She means the world to me and I'm so happy to see her getting better instead of getting going downhill, she's going uphill now and it makes it's gonna make my mom like so incredibly I'll be so thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thank you for having me. I'm confident she'll have a nice result because you know, she's got an obvious concern that is as a very obvious solution, So that alone will help her feel much better. And then I think, if she's like the best majority of my patients, there's going to be other other things that she will see sort of improve or maybe even evaporate.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, I know. And thank you for bringing in the play to wife for Eric, now help me out of trouble.
Speaker 3: For we leave that with you for a little longer.
Speaker 2: I'll be like a cat batting it around in the living room.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's something we say at the end of our podcast, and I'll say it first, then then you say it, and then Eric saysn't and then we're done. Okay, Okay, So anyway, not this part, But thank you guys so much for tuning in and watching us live and watching us after the fact and listening to us. It really means a lot to us that you that you care enough to listen and watch and everything, So thank you and love your podcast.
Speaker 2: Love your podcast, Love your podcast.
Speaker 1: I love you, my sweet babies. Bye, thank you guys. Ah