Speaker 1: While your listening enjoyment. John London as Johnny Darling.
Speaker 2: This is Joe Benson. You call me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Lieutenant, I am from federalad.
Speaker 2: Writers, flown away from Hentment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They sent me to get a report in the National Savings alone.
Speaker 2: Hold up or see how's the watchman? Yeah, he died about a half hour ago. I'm sorry to hear that shut three times? Hardy had a chance. Did he ever regain consciousness?
Speaker 1: Yes, proud enough to give us a make on one of the four guys who hides to the police.
Speaker 2: Oh it's something.
Speaker 1: Look, if you want to report, you better come on down and get it first hand. I'll be there in ten minutes, lieutenant. You know many great men have attained the highest office in Ireland, the presidency of the United States. Can you guess the name of this man? He has been called the father of American docracy. As a young man, he was a scientific farmer, and his work as an outstanding architect had a marked influence on both American and English architecture.
Speaker 2: In eighteen hundred, he and Aaron.
Speaker 1: Burr received equal votes for President and the House of Representatives. Under the influence of Alexander Hamilton, voted.
Speaker 2: This man in. One of the most important.
Speaker 1: Acts of his administration was the Louisiana Purchase. As president, he also outlawed the dangerous Alien and Sedition Acts and encouraged the pioneering of the West. If you don't have his name by now here are two more clues. He devised the decimal system used in our coinage and invented the dumbwaiter elevator. Who was he Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States. His life is part of your American heritage. Expense accounts submitted by Special Investigator Johnny Dollar to Federal Underwriters, Incorporated, two twenty three Spear Boulevard, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the Damaren matter. Spencer ac count out of won two hundred and forty dollars plain Fair and incidentals, Hartford to San Francisco. I arrived ten hours after the news of the National Savings Alone hold up reached the office. Lieutenant Benson was waiting.
Speaker 2: For me when I got the city hall. You're do some time, don them.
Speaker 1: My men picked up Bernie Manners a few minutes ago and down the hall Manners.
Speaker 2: He the one you got an identification of.
Speaker 1: Yes, the watchmen looked at some mugs we pulled from the farms and spotted him.
Speaker 2: Ran awaed said Manners was.
Speaker 1: One of the four men who did the gum.
Speaker 2: Uh it's quick work and shall we go on down? Yeah? Suh.
Speaker 1: What about this man's well, he's a two time loser, twenty five arrests on his card on the way from narcotics violation to armed robbering.
Speaker 2: We don't see what he has to say before we check out his mamachine.
Speaker 1: How they get up and when the watch one made him while we put out an APD, one of the units spotted him because he was going into a saloon in this way, I'll have any.
Speaker 2: Trouble and uh, they uh find anything? Two doune and poured his hands.
Speaker 1: No gun nothing, hum m you will, I'm gonna smoke.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, I'm pressure. Yeah, here you go. No change. Well then you think about weather here?
Speaker 1: Oh pretty nice, pretty nice, we're still having snow.
Speaker 2: I haven't been east thirteen years. We got what it looks like. I don't know what you guys are talking about. I didn't have nothing to do with nothing. It's matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sergey Freeman, Johnny Dollard. Hi, I hello, Bernie.
Speaker 2: Hello old town. Well let's have it. Aw what the story on the National Savings.
Speaker 1: And Loan job? I don't know what anything about the National Savants and a Lord job. Four men walked in there about midnight last night, shot the watchman, cracked the safs and got away with sixty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Now you know about it? I don't know anything. What are you guys trying to hang on me? Where were you last night? Bernie?
Speaker 1: When last night between ten o'clock and two o'clock I was in my room sleeping. You approve you were sleeping last night in your room?
Speaker 2: Both can't proved they were sleeping.
Speaker 1: And a lane ladies somebody like that. I don't love What do you know? Hi?
Speaker 2: About the National Savings? John Barton? I don't know nothing.
Speaker 1: Look, Bernie, you can make this thing a whole lot easier. I can now who worked it with you?
Speaker 2: Who were the other three men in on it?
Speaker 1: Come on, Bernie, you were always pretty good at talking.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna tell you anything. I don't have anything to tell you. How are you making a living these days?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: What do you do for fun. I've been driving a truck up the.
Speaker 3: Last week where coach trucking outfit?
Speaker 2: Did you quit? I was fired? Why I got the people for the pous chick in? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Canan Benson and Sergeant Treatman continued to question the suspect. He refused to admit any part in the burglary of the National Savings and Loan Company or to name any people who were connected with it.
Speaker 2: An hour went by, he still refused to talk. Two hours.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm getting tired, so am I?
Speaker 4: All of us are tired, Bernie.
Speaker 3: Now look, why don't you open your face so we can get some rest.
Speaker 2: I told you I didn't have anything to say. Who's this joker?
Speaker 3: Name?
Speaker 1: My name is Dollar, Bernie. I'm from the insurance company. What's he doing here worrying about.
Speaker 2: You and your friends? You don't have to worry about many dollars? I'll try not to Why he thought? Man?
Speaker 3: He was a right?
Speaker 2: Do I get to see a lawyer? What do you want to see a lawyer for? To get out of here?
Speaker 1: That's why you aren't getting out of here, Bernie.
Speaker 2: You know they now tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: Come on, Bernie, you know what's all over, But we got enough to take in the court right now. Talk me's right?
Speaker 2: Don't you believe it? No? Hand me then? Yeah? Sure? Hey, you know what this is, Bernie.
Speaker 1: No, it's a notorious statement from the watchman that was killed.
Speaker 2: His name was Fuller. I talked to him just before he died. Do you know what this say is? It says that you.
Speaker 1: Were with the four men who robbed the National Savings and Loan Company last night.
Speaker 2: Listener, me, pre state your full name?
Speaker 1: Him Henry Fuller.
Speaker 2: Me where do you live? Him?
Speaker 1: Two thirty five twenty second avenue? Me. I understand that you are seriously hurt. Is that true? Him?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Mean do you believe that you are about to die from injuries you have received?
Speaker 2: Him? Yes?
Speaker 1: Me Have you any hope of recovery from the effects of these injuries?
Speaker 2: Him? No?
Speaker 1: Listen, I got up Barty and listen me. Who caused the injuries from which you are suffering?
Speaker 2: Him? One of the wrongers? Me?
Speaker 1: Is this a picture of one of the men who caused your injuries?
Speaker 2: Him? Yes, he was looking at a mug shot of you. Bernie.
Speaker 1: There were four witnesses in that hospital room when full Of made this statement. It's a positive identification on you.
Speaker 2: Well, can I have a glass? What it? Later? Maybe? Who were the other men? I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Questioning When I asked, another hour passed. Everybody got pretty tired. Man, it's still admitted nothing. It was the usual method of interrogation, Hammer away, hammer away.
Speaker 2: Sooner or later it's still something important. Lieutenant Benson knew his job berns ware Bernie.
Speaker 3: Who were the other men?
Speaker 1: But the twentieth time there were no other man?
Speaker 2: There were four of you. Bernie. Why didn't we play bridge?
Speaker 1: Tell us what you did all day yesterday?
Speaker 2: What start with? From the time you got up? Try to live? Yeah, we're all interested. Well what is this? Go on, Bernie? Tell it what I got up about ten and four around all day and I got to bed early. Very nice. What do you want me to tell you? What you did all day?
Speaker 1: Who you were with?
Speaker 2: Wait? You went? Oh?
Speaker 1: And after you tell us that, you can tell us how you worked on the National savings and low morbage.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you nothing nothing, all right? What's your name? What's your name? Bernie?
Speaker 3: Malis you know?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: What are you left?
Speaker 2: I told tell us your address? What are you twenty armies.
Speaker 1: I worked with you, nobody, nobody just a minute bension, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that'll do it. That was about you, Bernie. What about me? Lieutenant? What about me?
Speaker 1: Guess what the crime lab found tucked behind one of the cushions in the front seat of your car. Uh, twenty thousand dollars. Bernie, you didn't hide it very well.
Speaker 2: I didn't think if they're looking, did you use your car? Yeah? Who were the others?
Speaker 1: Eddie, Faye, Jack Ivers?
Speaker 2: One more? You like I was caught Chick. I didn't know chick one. Just check he figured the whole thing. Who contacted you?
Speaker 3: Edie?
Speaker 2: He put me in on but check wallet?
Speaker 1: Where can we get hold of Chick? I don't know what about ay? Kay, I don't know Jack Ivy.
Speaker 2: No, it won't do you any good to lie now.
Speaker 3: I'm not lying.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why you can get hold of any of them or what you do after the job. We all got my car fleeted I let him off near the Phermount, all three of them. That way you split the money. No, we did that before we left the lawn company. Look, I have gone tied one more thing? Who shot for him in his chick, Are you sure? Well, he was the only one who had a gun. Sure, I'm sure why they shoot him? I couldn't figure it out myself.
Speaker 1: Were leaving the place, watchman was all tied up and there was no trouble. Chick walked over, stuck the gun in his back, and let him have it.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 1: Manners gave us a description of the man, not only as Chick, he was pretty much the same as the description given by the watchman. A check to the Moniker files reveal that possible twenty three persons who answered the general description and background of Chick.
Speaker 2: Manners was showing a picture.
Speaker 1: Of each one couldn't identify any of them. I went back to my hotel and went to bed. Next morning, I was going to Lieutenant Benson. They checked the sloogs taken from Fuller's body. Ay lock, Now, they came from a forty five automatic revolver and looks.
Speaker 2: Like it might be a cold Oh. I checked the foot maners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nothing in our files on the gun itself. Manus is in the mudroom. Now, if this chick ever did time in any California prison, we don't.
Speaker 2: Have him on file.
Speaker 1: A highway huh. In case Gun's been killed.
Speaker 2: What about the other two?
Speaker 1: Page and Ivs. Ivers was released from San Quentin three months ago. Roll Office gave us an address for him on Turk Street, Quenland. Freeton went out there, but the people who run the rooming house say Ivers.
Speaker 2: Hasn't been around for two days. I've got the place staked down.
Speaker 1: I was here in sam Quentin for grand theft auto did four years the only time he fell. Page just had a little more experience. I mean's older than Manors Rivers. He's a two time loser, both convictions with farm robbery police Denver wanted for questioning two and he leaves on no local address. He has assists who lives in Eurekam. At least they are talking to him. Should be getting something pretty soon. Communication has been broadcasting this every thirty minutes on at Loan, I left Lieutenant Benson so I could talk with the auditors who had been working with the people at National Savings and Trust. By that time, they determined that sixty eight thousand dollars had been taken in the robbery. I spoke to the claims adjuster who had pulled in from Hartford, and the officials of the company. I explained the situation with the police and the recovery of twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Of the store of money.
Speaker 1: They agreed to to spend their claim pending the arrest of the other three suspects and the possible recovery of the entire look expense account at them too. Ten cents phone call. I checked with Lieutenant Benson about four o'clock. Hi, gotta lead on page.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, forty five Class Street I met.
Speaker 1: You have to find it right, expect to count adam three one dollars and thirty five cents cab fare to They addressed on class straight. Hi, Hi and there, Yeah, you want to be enormous, that's alright with you.
Speaker 2: I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Treatments covering back entrance. Quentin's in the lobby.
Speaker 2: I go, and how'd you got to Eureka? Police?
Speaker 1: Talked to Page your sister since you'd been writing him here under the name of Ernest Lawyers.
Speaker 2: Oh, I take it over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was there looking for?
Speaker 2: Mister Lawyers? You miss Lawyers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you want package? Oh well, it's uh, missus William reading in Eureka, California.
Speaker 3: I have to sign for it, Okay, see.
Speaker 1: I your loan page? Who are you police? Get your hat? One, let's go one.
Speaker 2: Take a look over there, Dollar, Yeah, what is this? Bunny? Man has spilled it? All? A got you've got a cut? Drops that page? Good, blame you? All right?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, come home and get up, put your hands out. All right, let's go page, and now with our star John Lund, we'll bring you a second act of yours, truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: Sergeants Quinlan and Treatment.
Speaker 1: Took the suspect that he paid downtown.
Speaker 2: I drove over to the emergency hospital with.
Speaker 1: Lieutenant Benson, where they patched up the cut in his temple where a page had slugged him with his gun.
Speaker 2: After that we returned to headquarters.
Speaker 1: Sergeant Freeman met us outside the interrogation room.
Speaker 2: How do you feel, chab no, HEYDI and went about him real quiet, so far fine? We went over the apartment.
Speaker 1: Now you'll be happy about this dollar more money fifteen thousand stuck.
Speaker 2: In a suitcase. Your insurance company is doing well so far?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then they see about tough.
Speaker 1: Boy, remember me, I remember both of you.
Speaker 2: How's your head? Now, don't get over it? How's your chin? And I to get at you again, kind of like to get at you.
Speaker 1: That's always better, say, Ever since he landed, you're tied in with Bernie Manners and Jack Ivers on this thing, page am I yeah, and that's enough for us.
Speaker 2: I suppose you're gonna send me to prison. I suppose we are some talk whose chick chick?
Speaker 1: The other guy I don't know whereas Ivers?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Bernie had to stay in here six dollars.
Speaker 1: How long are you gonna take Page? As long as you like. We've got all the time in the world, so then you know we found your color of a job in your room. Bernie has already told us about you.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna admit anything, Huh, why should I man was killed on that job as a murder charge to go along with everything else. Do tell you can make it easy on yourself, paid easier for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the way you.
Speaker 1: Want it, Ramond, Yeah, you and Quinland stay with his burden, stray whim if it takes all night and all day and all night, and I want to see how long he can law Okay, come on, Dlan.
Speaker 2: Oh now I'm hungry.
Speaker 1: Events got out him four six dollars and thirty percent drinks and dinner for Lieutenant Benson and myself.
Speaker 2: After eating, we.
Speaker 1: Returned to the interrogation room and the questioning of the suspect that he paid. Although he knew that there was enough evidence against him to make a burglary and homicide charge stick, he still refused to admit his part of the burglary, but to give us the full.
Speaker 2: Name of a man known simply as Chick.
Speaker 1: About ten o'clock that night, man who ran a bookstore. I'm Gary Street. Help upon that he thought he might have some information that would help.
Speaker 2: I drove over there with token of Benson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doggy, yeah good a color?
Speaker 2: How did you mean? Can I help you? Please? And we like to talk to mister Smith. Ye oh you're the police.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm smooth and I'm Lieutenant Ben's ms Mster Dollar.
Speaker 2: And how do you do?
Speaker 1: He said you had something that might help mister Smithy need I do?
Speaker 2: Mister Dollar? What need I do?
Speaker 4: I read all about the burglary in the papers yesterday, and well I have this mm A bill rapper from National Savings alone.
Speaker 2: Yes, And where'd you get this, mister Smith?
Speaker 1: I found it on the floor right here in the store.
Speaker 2: You know who dropped it?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think so.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, a man who was in here earlier. I think he dropped it. What do you look like? Well?
Speaker 1: He was he was Paul.
Speaker 2: He was kind of husky old. He was about thirty five years old. I'd say.
Speaker 1: He wore kind of a dark hat and a trench coat.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen him in here before? No? Yes, tonight? Why did he buy him, mister Smith? Quite a few things?
Speaker 1: More like what well, three bottles of scotch and some mixer and some ice and somes cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, I see ye oh? When did you find the robber? Uh?
Speaker 1: Right after he paid me for the things? What size bill did he give him?
Speaker 2: It was a fifty US?
Speaker 1: Don't have it?
Speaker 2: Yes? And could we look at it please? For surely that's this way?
Speaker 1: H you are?
Speaker 2: Thanks? No? Huh round here? H Did you have to notice of you left in the car, mister Smith?
Speaker 1: No, he was on the foot when I found the rapper on the floor and didn't remember.
Speaker 2: The newspaper story.
Speaker 1: I ran outside to take a look to see which direction he went.
Speaker 2: He walked right across the street.
Speaker 1: Just we might possibly live around here, I think, so. Right there, you sink he went into the Alden Hotel.
Speaker 2: How long ago?
Speaker 1: He says, Oh my, that was not fifteen minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's him, man, just coming out on the street. Get back. Can you see his face? Not yet, because he went with the men you're looking for, and I don't know it sounds like it, lieutenant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take a look, Jack Diimers, let's go you yes, sir, I called downtown.
Speaker 2: Here. You hold it up just a minute. He's going for the alley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he duck right in there.
Speaker 2: I think they are careful, Johnny. Okay, yeah, I'm okay, what the cone?
Speaker 3: Iivers.
Speaker 2: You don't have a chance down here. He's gotta try for that fence down there. Here, let's go. You can't see. It's in the shadow.
Speaker 1: When they made defense. Come on, see anything not too dark somewhere in here? Hey over there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh? Anything you know the apartment house? You run on the back guard.
Speaker 1: Get out, okay, okay, I verse, this is your last chance.
Speaker 2: Somebody will get hurt up. We don't stop.
Speaker 4: Him at the Uh.
Speaker 2: What you look like? Oh, he's done for him. A metaphonian.
Speaker 1: Jack Ivers, one of the suspects connected with the burglary of the National Savings and Loan office. Died instantly, was attempting to escape arrest.
Speaker 2: We waited for the corners men to arrive.
Speaker 1: We searched his body and found twelve thousand dollars of the stolen money concealed in a money belt around his waist.
Speaker 2: I accompanied Lieutenant Benson to the Alden hotel, where we learned from.
Speaker 1: The desk clerk that Ivers had checked in the previous day using the name of David Ward. The clerk said that he shared the room and a man who registered as Charles Daily Daily was still in the room.
Speaker 4: As far as the clerk knew. We went upstairs. Well there's a check. Should be a good day's work. Yeah, yeh too.
Speaker 2: Ten, Yeah, here we go. Could have sneaked out, let's find out.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll be druh as you can get.
Speaker 1: That's the way I like to pick him up quiet. The man passed out in the hotel room was identified as Chester Damn.
Speaker 2: Later Ohio. I check with the authorities.
Speaker 1: They really had a criminal record covering seventeen years. His nickname was Chick. Along with Eddie Page and Bernie Manors.
Speaker 2: He was invited on charges of bergleiam murder.
Speaker 1: The remainder of the stolen money was fought in his hotel room.
Speaker 2: All told, thirty nine one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent of the loop was recovered, accepting what Ivers spent for whiskey, pretty good for pedal underwriters. Expense account had him five sixty three dollars and thirty cents miscellaneous out.
Speaker 2: In San Francisco.
Speaker 1: I hadem sick, same as one my plain fair and incidentals back to Hartford. Total expense account five hundred and fifty one dollars and ten cents yours, Joe, Johnny Dollar. We returned to program in a moment, but first I'd like to talk to you about housekeeping. Recently, a woman was interviewing a prospective maid and.
Speaker 2: Asked her how she was on white housekeeping.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry, ma'am, said the young lady. I never kept a lighthouse. I admit that's an old joke, but it generally gets a lab However, housekeeping no joke. That's a job from which no one can escape, whether he lives in a house, an igloo of misitary barracks, or a governmental building. Yes, housekeeping is a very important job. Even in our government. Someone has to see that the plumbing doesn't bleak, that electricity, oil and coalbar tasted, that the garden is kept in good shape, that the animals are fed, and that the people have a place outdoors in which to enjoy themselves. Actually, all these governmental household tasks the work of the Department of the Interior, which at one time was called the Home Department. The biggest job of the department is conservation, the protection of the things that make our country a good place in which to live. The land, water, oil, coal, forests, minerals, fish and wildlife. These are our natural resources.
Speaker 2: If it weren't for.
Speaker 1: The conservation work of the Interior Department, before too long, all the farm and grazing lands would be washed or blown away, and all the wildlife would disappear from our fields and forests. Another important job of the department is to development new natural resources and the caring for our national parks where people.
Speaker 2: Are free to go sightseeing or set up camp.
Speaker 1: And during wartime, the Secretary of the Interior has a special job, namely making sure that sufficient oil and other fuels are available to our armed forces and defense industries. Yes, our governmental housekeeper, the Department of the Interior has a most important and vital job in maintaining the comfort and welfare of every citizen of the United States,