Speaker 1: I'm trying to think when you would really want to listen to music like this, like a road trip driving long distances. Dave Fox is live in studio. All right, which hipster ed M band did you bring us today? First of all, there is a connection here. This is this is Cascade. Have you ever heard that name? I have heard of Cascade. I actually have a Cascade song on a playlist to mind.
Speaker 2: What do you know about Cascade?
Speaker 1: The only that the song I have is called Fine Love and it's actually quite good.
Speaker 3: Okay, that one? That was Fine Love. But he's a universe of Utah graduate. And in honor of the ute schedule and BAU schedules coming out today, I thought I.
Speaker 2: Would play you of you grad Cascade. What's his real name? Honestly, I don't know. Okay, it's definitely not cast. I would be his last name? I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know him as Cascade as you do. Do you have any insight info on the Cascade?
Speaker 2: Is he like a DJ? Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: And it's it's k Cascade, kas kad. I did that, so it's called on your mind, by the way, Okay, sweet, Well, so there you go, because I was on your mind today, You were not, but you're.
Speaker 2: Live and student. Yeah, thank you for having me last night.
Speaker 1: On You're Always. It's a lot of funat Yeah, you ripped through that nicely. Shout out to Timmy our guy. He wrote four of the five questions yesterday. Dave, he writes all the questions every time.
Speaker 2: That's not true, but he did.
Speaker 3: He's been doing it a lot lately because he's he's just creative. And I like to expand because if you if the same guy does it every week, it might get stale or every other week, and so I'll bring him in for a month or two and then I'll.
Speaker 1: Then you'll let Lenard do it and then kiuse, why don't you try doing it one time?
Speaker 3: Well, I've done it a lot, David. David, you are a hero, Okay. In our business you have people, no kids.
Speaker 2: Listen up.
Speaker 1: Okay, If if if you want to look up to somebody in this market that is in sports media, you should look up to Dave Fox. He somehow has found a way to create like a forty year career while never putting it in one ounce of work at all. And I'm not bringing that up to knock on you are bringing that up to say, you, sir, are a hero. Well, thanks for that. So that's amazing. That's gone that long. You got your guys writing questions. You just show up and you're the face and you let Mikolicic do all the hard work.
Speaker 3: You never leave the studio. You have dinner delivered to the studio. Dave, you are a pioneer, my friend. You know, I haven't gotten into that part yet, now that you mention it, what's up the whole door Dash thing. I don't doorda never. I've never done that well because it's like thirty seven dollars for a brew. Yeah, I mean I go get I drive down the street. But there's some people that live with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leave your house because hey, the restaurants don't like it. And be true, I'm dead serious. Restaurants don't like DoorDash. I no, no, they don't like DoorDash at all because DoorDash charges them fees and then customers complain that the food is so expensive. Dave, order a burrito from door Dash tonight. It will be twenty seven dollars.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna kid it. I don't even not account. I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: All right, you reference the Big twelve College football schedule release. Let me just ask you right off the top, October eighteenth, Utah, Dave. The last time BYU and Utah played football in October it was nineteen sixty seven. You were forty one years old. It is are why are we doing it?
Speaker 3: I thought last year, after them not putting them at the end of the season, there was some talk of all, we should have done that, we'll get it right. And then what do they do the next year? They move it up even further. Remember last year, I believe it wasn't the first Saturday in November November ninth. Yeah maybe so, Yeah, you're right, it was so second Saturday November.
Speaker 2: But and then now they've made it even worse.
Speaker 3: I don't understand how, in this day and age of college rivalries and how great rivalries are, they think that Utah playing Kansas and BHYU playing Central Florida, which by the way, is how Utah ended last season. Although at least be why you gets to be home is makes sense, at the end of the season, it makes no sense at all. I don't understand why. Maybe even I don't know if the athletic directors have some input. Maybe they don't want to play it at the end of the year. I don't know, but it's it's sad and none of us can be that thrilled about October eighteenth.
Speaker 2: It's really while.
Speaker 1: It's the one thing because look, trying to analyze what the Big twelve will look like this year in football on February fourth is an exercise in futility. Tell me who you pick sixteenth so I can pick them to win. So I don't know if it's a hard schedule. I don't know if it's an easy schedule. Comparing Utah to BYU. I'm not really even sure exactly how to do that right now. I mean, there's some metrics well that you can utilize, like the S and P plus. But we'll have spring football, then we'll have another transfer window, and come fall the team could look completely different. It's impossible to know whether or not this is an easier hard schedule. But the one thing that jumped out at me, Dave was BYU Utah.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't matter if it's an easier or hard schedule, doesn't matter who how good or bad these teams are going to be. We know what that game is. No matter what, no matter if they're over or undefeated. We know what that game is. We saw this year. It was a great game, and BYU was had a better team on paper coming into it. So I don't know why they don't just do that now. If you use this year's schedule or teams as any sort of a barometer, Utah has a really tough finishing schedule with both Kansas school But other than that, you're right, there's no way to tell other than you know. Kansas should be playing Kansas State at the end of the season. Utah should be playing BYU at the end of the season. That's just the way those things should be. And I don't know how long it's going to take the Big Twelve to figure that out, but I hope sooner than later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they have Arizona Arizona State Final game of the year. And your point about last season is a good one because I can remember we even had some Big Twelve guests on the show and some college football like Josh Pate who now has a really massive college football podcast. He was in town prior to the Florida game, and I asked him, have you ever been to a Utah BYU game, and he said, no, you know, but I know, you know obviously if you know college football, you know it's a big time rival. Then first year in the Big Twelve, a lot of Big Twelve people were kind of like, all right, let's see what this is about. And they could not have had a better introductions what this thing is. And by the way, what it is nine times out of ten the only time it's not like it was last year. If there's a massive talent gap like Utah in two thousand and four, more of the not this is down to the wire, last possession thing.
Speaker 2: It's always sold out.
Speaker 1: It was highly watched, highly viewed because it was a good television window. It checked every single box. And not to be not to make a hyperbolic statement or be a sensationalist, but my concern about the future of college football, and I'm not a you know, sound the alarm. This sport is in trouble guy. I think Saturday's in the fall are always going to feel like Saturdays in the fall. But my concern things like this indicate the people that are making decisions are losing track of what makes college football special. And at the top of the list are rivalries because they are different than your pro football rivalries. And this one's so unique because by us forty miles that way, you have to take care of the things that make your sports special, and rivalries to me, are at the top of the list.
Speaker 3: Well, and what's even more frustrating about it, and your point is well taken. They witnessed it, they saw it. You referenced night two thousand and four. Yes, that was the Urban Meyer blowout year when they ran the table, but twelve months prior to that, it was a three to nothing.
Speaker 2: Game, right, I mean, and you know the same coaches. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could hit these guys over the head with a two by four, and it seems like they're not paying attention. If I'm not mistaken, I think there were a number of people on the national level that's after this year's Utah BYU game came out and said, wow, that should have been the end of the season, because it frankly should have, and they've just brushed it aside and here we go again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, And so you know, obviously, that to me is the main takeaway.
Speaker 2: Awful.
Speaker 3: Well, the other the other thing, I'm sorry to interrupt, you the Utah's awful pre season schedule or non league schedule, I should say, I shouldn't say awful. But okay, they go to UCLA Fine cal Poly here, and then how in.
Speaker 2: The world are they going to Laramie.
Speaker 1: So Bill joined us earlier, and he provided some clarity because Porter is very excited to spend a number of days and hours in laram Me.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Send him, not just for the game, but I'm gonna give him the week off and he's just gonna.
Speaker 1: Go live there because that's the kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Our guy is.
Speaker 3: He kind of looks like a Laramie guy though. That's I mean, what is the beard, you know, the mountain man.
Speaker 2: Thanks the hair. I'm gonna take it as compliment, just so that say.
Speaker 3: Switch that R on your hat to an L and you'll be right at home. Okay, So we're gonna send Porter. He's gonna be a man on the ground. But Bill said, this game has been scheduled for nearly a decade.
Speaker 2: So this is long. So it's like so so Tom Holmi talked about this earlier. Tom.
Speaker 1: You know, so BYU is out East Carolina this year, and at first glance, It's like, why are we doing this? And Tom said, no, it's we're We're making good our agreement with East Carolina. And my understanding is Utah is doing the same thing with Wyoming. Have you covered a game in Laramie?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, several times.
Speaker 3: I was at the game in Laramie urban Meyer, I believe it was his first year when the power went out, you were at that stadium. I was actually at that game and it was irritating because we were driving and we were gonna drive home that night after the game, and as you know, the game got delayed wuite a while. Wyoming wanted to little side story on this and I was down there on the field while they were talking. They wanted to reap or finish game the next day, and urban Meyer was having none of that. Yeah, he was like, no, we're finishing this game to night. Figure it out, and they did and then they got out of town. How would that have even worked?
Speaker 1: Fans for the next fine like a motel and especially in Laramie.
Speaker 3: How long is that drive? Oh gosh, Porter, is it four and a half hours? Like it's longer than maybe five. It's not as far as Denver, It's not as far as Denver.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, you're right, it is more than that.
Speaker 3: I think it's like five or six and it's and it's lovely scenery.
Speaker 2: Like eighteen hours.
Speaker 1: An eighteen hours drive porter, I need you to look up how far away Denver is and how far Laramie is.
Speaker 2: Laramie's like five and a half six hours. That's what I thought, okay, but but Denver's not eighteen hours. How far away is Denver? It's only five more hours from Laramie.
Speaker 3: It's way to look it up our ESPN and you also you can also drive through the mountains if it's summertime.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can, and it's very pretty our ESPN stats and info apart closer to eight on Denver. I used to live in Aspen. I know know where, I know where it is.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's a new thing. When did you live in Aspen?
Speaker 3: When I first started, I lived in Glenwood Springs, which is about twenty miles from But that's not Aspen. You want to sound cool, I said spring. Aspen is a point of reference. You wanted to sound cool that you lived in.
Speaker 2: I was very close to Aspen. It's like there, there's only eight hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh interesting, not that far anyway. All right, so that's terrible, will you? Oh wait, so of course you're you're gonna send michel Itch to laram but.
Speaker 2: You're not going. Oh, I don't think we're e send anybody. You don't send anything. You won't send anybody.
Speaker 3: What we'll cover it off TV. We're not your cover that game. What's the point of covering that game?
Speaker 1: Because it's you tough football, Dave, and people care about We don't travel that much until postseason. Yeah, but Mikolitch, you would want to go to Laramie. I don't think so, you little fly fish. We may want to do the opener at u c l A well. And you know what, you're not wrong about the non con And I am one this is an unpopular opinion. When these games go away, I'm going to be fine with it now that it's it's not awesome for a program like cal Poly. He's gonna come up here and collect a five hundred thousand dollars check or whatever it is go fund their ad, you know, athletic department. And I feel bad for the schools that actually need these games to fund their athletic department. But they just don't do anything for me, and I don't think it's good for the bigger programs to potentially lose players to injury and.
Speaker 2: All that stuff.
Speaker 1: But the UCLA opener, it's not bad, no, because at least it's a Big ten team. They were down last year. They lose their quarterback, it was a first year coach, and look, UCLA should be good every year. I say the same thing about Cal football. You should be good every year you're in that recruiting footprint. I don't know what they're going to be, but you could do worse as an opener than the Rose Bowl against UCRE.
Speaker 3: Anytime you're a power four versus power four, that's a good thing. I have absolutely no problem with that. By the way, it'll be toasty down there in August for sure, especially up there in that air. The neighborhood by U's kind of got the same situation, although they open with Portland State, as you know, but then I believe it's Stanford right after that, so that's not quite so bad.
Speaker 2: They mean, it's the same kind of thing. That's just the opposite of Utah.
Speaker 3: Utah goes, you know, power four versus Power four, and then a you know, less than mid major, and B what he does just the opposite. So but B, why you had Stanford at home too, So that's a little bit better. They can soften the blow of their fans sitting through Portland State knowing that the next week they get the Stanford at their place, and then.
Speaker 1: After Stanford they have a buy b yu as an early early by then at East Carolina and then at Colorado. You know what, Porter, I'm a team player. Since you're going to Laramie, I agree that I will go to Pasadena. Okay you may not, But because you're going to laram Me, I'll go to Pasadena, I'll golf for a week.
Speaker 2: We'll hang out. Come on down, let's play golf. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: I like it, so Utah and BYU schedule release, let me kick the tires with you on a couple of other things.
Speaker 2: A few minutes left.
Speaker 1: From the perspective of interest in pro basketball, because the data is in and it doesn't matter that you could work for the NBA and spin it all you want. Numbers are down, ratings are down. Do you think this historic week changes that at all? Do you think people will be more tuned in too pro basketball as a result of what we've seen over the past seventy two hours.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the move itself does, but I think the byproduct of that. As soon as Lucas suits up for the Lakers, and by the way, against the Jazz.
Speaker 1: Is a rumor that Lucas first came against the Lakers before the Lakers will be against the Jazz.
Speaker 3: It's right, So I can't even mat Well, now, if you're the network, you're probably thinking, oh, great, why does this have to be Why couldn't it have been okay see or even better Dallas?
Speaker 2: But because the Jazz have already had.
Speaker 3: A game taken off national TV because of the situation they're in second worst team in the league.
Speaker 2: So I can I will.
Speaker 3: I would definitely see a little bit of a boost once Luca gets in that Laker uniform.
Speaker 2: And yes, that's a byproduct of the trade.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the trade itself means, oh, everybody's gonna start watching the NBA, but I think it might give the Lakers a little bit of a kick. But aren't the Lakers one of those teams, like you know, the Dallas Cowboys. No matter how good or bad they are, they still have massive viewership.
Speaker 2: So but I agree, I think there'll be a kick.
Speaker 3: And I'm guessing that the network executives guys at TNT and ESPN are look at the schedule right now and trying to figure out, Okay, when can we get Luca and Lebron together on TV? Can you imagine though, if it is the first game against the Lakers is down there, so and then they play them again up here right the very next game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what the network thinking would be when that's your opponent.
Speaker 2: They're probably not thrilled. It's the Jazz. I'm sure they're not.
Speaker 3: And we flex this game, please, and who knows what's gonna happen. Think about the last Kobe game. Who was it against? It was against the Jazz, and he's destroyed them. Yeah you know what if everyone watched it, but it's revisionist history. He didn't really destroy them.
Speaker 1: They just decide like and Heyward has talked about this because I was probably just should light him have his Yes, I was covering the game. In fact, well, we'll ask our ESPN Stats and Info department to look up one more thing.
Speaker 2: Look up Kobe's last game against the Jazz and he have like seventy something or some absurd but I think he took sixty one shots.
Speaker 1: And I was watching it that I was watching it with Britton Johnson because for people to remember, the Jazz actually that year had a chance to make the playoffs, and then I think they needed Houston to lose. Houston won, then the Jazz were out of it. So then it became it was not germane to anything exciting for the Jazz. They did not need to win, and it just became this thing. And early on Britain actually pointed this out. He's like, it looks like they're just feeding Kobe and letting him shoot every time to see what they can do, because this is his final game. And so the narrative became Kobe had this miraculous last game against the Jazz, and it was like, no, it was a glorified it was a glorified twenty four hour fitness scrimmage where they let him shoot every time. I want to say he took sixty shots to score like sixty two points.
Speaker 4: He took fifty shots, but twenty one of them or from downtown now he shot twenty two total. He was twenty two to fifty. He almost shot forty fifty per cent. He scored sixty Yeah, sixty points, Okay, sixty points on fifty shots.
Speaker 3: Okay, I understand what you're saying, but I mean history won't always look at it that way. Well, all I'm telling you is you're going to take two of the iconic acre games of the last decade and their bol.
Speaker 2: Against the jazz. Yeah, I'm sure the NBA is yeah, they can't be. But tell me what everyone's going to.
Speaker 1: Watch because you're always asking me this on five questions or talking jazz?
Speaker 2: What do you cause? You're Dave fox Man of the people.
Speaker 1: You're out and about in the community, and I'm sure when people see you at the ward or just around they want to ask you about the jazz. What do they what do they say about this current?
Speaker 3: Well, the first the first thing you tend to get a lot of is you'd be surprised how people don't completely understand it, I mean to a degree, you know, why are they so bad? And then your first answer, your answer has to me, well, it's kind of by design, it's part of the plan. This is, you know, and like last night I'm watching this game with Timmy and you know Timmy is he is hardcore Jazz as they come. And I keep saying Timmy in the grand scheme of this is not a game you want to win.
Speaker 2: This goes again.
Speaker 3: If you're playing Washington and you're playing New Orleans although they got swept by them, or Charlotte, you can go ahead and win one of those if you have to, because that's more acceptable. You can't win a game against a team that is much better than you are if you're fighting to get at the top of that lottery mix, you just can't do it. And I've had this theory for a long time that the Jazz tend to play everyone when they play good teams because there's a chance they're not going to win anyone. And then when they play crappy teams, they start to wrest a lot of people or they're injured.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed that's that's happened a lot.
Speaker 1: Just please don't say crappy on the air. This is a family friendly showy poopye teams. That's even worse. I will tell you, what did you watch the end of the game last night? I watched every second. It was so comical with the way they closed. I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but with the way they closed, I was like, huh, the Clarkson turnover might have been so Clarkson turnover and go watch the replay. He let Tyrese Halliburton walk into a three. He just kind of went like this. Haliburn had ten ten feet. Kiant Ta gets the ball, puts it through his legs three times, take takes a step back three with like sixteen seconds left on the shock clock, and Lowry Market in a ninety percent free throw shooter, misses two free throws.
Speaker 2: Unbelieve, like my intent, Lesta is like, huh, maybe they are on board.
Speaker 3: Luca has been traded to the Lakers. The Jazz clearly are trying to lose back. Maybe this whole thing is maybe there's a whip.
Speaker 1: Maybe Adam Silver is the Wizard of Oz and we just were not aware of it.
Speaker 3: Whether or not, Okay, I think in that notwithstanding, it was the perfect formula last night. We all agree with this play great, keep the fans in their seats, you know, stay motivated to the last second, and then lose. I cannot tell people enough, and I've got some coworkers that don't get this. This is an important year for that draft. It could change the shape of this franchise, sort of like Luca's going to change the shape of the Lakers franchise. Not maybe not so much this year, but for the next ten years. That's the situation that Jazz are in. That's the difference between getting the first pick and anything else. So they've got to be all in on this. And by the way, you only really have to finish in the bottom three. They're all the same odds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean the tough part about these conversations is we're not used to this, yeah in saut Lake. And so when you because I really believe and there's always this debate when you're doing a sportstock radio show, like the listeners who are all about the jazz and love the data and are just dialed in and it's like a big hobby of theirs.
Speaker 2: They know the deal and you're not really.
Speaker 1: Doing the show for them anyway, because they're probably locked in on doing their own thing. But the majority of people who listen to sportstock radio don't know about flattened lottery odds. They don't know about the landscape of the NBA as far as what you have to do to build a team in a place like this, And so I think a lot of just average sports fans they really have always loved the Jazz, are genuinely confused.
Speaker 3: It's like, wait a second, we're usually at least good. We're not even close to that right now. Circling back to what you had just asked me about, what do people say? That's what you get a lot of and you try to educate them on it, and a lot of them just they either don't get it or they don't want to get it. But this is what they have to go through and we'll see where it all goes. Now, if they go through all this and n up with a third or fourth pick, we'll be a little frustrating, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl Week brings in a lot of very exciting media opportunities. Andy Reid was asked for his favorite trilogy today as far as books go, and he said, the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price.
Speaker 2: So me and Andy, your.
Speaker 1: Buds and we have the same previous are on park. Yeah, indeed, so some fun stuff there. But before I set you loose, yp do you think the Eagles can actually do this? Or are we going to be sitting there in the fourth quarter watching the Chiefs figure it out again winning their third string.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm an NFC East guy because of the Dallas Cowboys, so that I can't even think about the Eagles winning that game. Sorry, but let me take that my heart out of it and think logically.
Speaker 2: I think we.
Speaker 3: Posed this question yesterday in five Questions of Spence, and the way I posed it to you was, can you really in good conscience pick against the Chiefs? And I don't think there's any way They've First of all, they so many weird things always happen in their favor, and I don't think that's going away anytime soon. And they're just a really good team.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: And they've got fifteen under center, which probably is the bottom line.
Speaker 2: No question. Oh and Taylor Swift's a fan? Are you swifty? No, not at all. Are you anti? I'm not anti? I'm you know.
Speaker 3: I bet there's a prop bet Taylor Swift or say Kwon Barkley total carries?
Speaker 2: What do we see more of her on camera? Or his total carry?
Speaker 1: You can bet on anything these days, But as I say, just don't do it. But David It's great to see it there last night. We'll chat soon. Thanks Porter Dave, fox Ku TV five Questions of Spence last night.
Speaker 2: Be on there again. Taka Jazz coming up in a couple of weeks