Speaker 1: We are only weeks away from the NBA Draft. We'll have great NBA Draft coverage for you. I will anchor our coverage alongside Gordy Chiason, Richard Smith, basketball lifers with Utah Jazz. Let's get to know some of these prospects.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's been a.
Speaker 1: Minute, but Raphael Barlow, NBA big Board, NBA big Board dot Com, our guest on a Tuesday afternoon, Raphael, Happy Tuesday, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great? How are you guys doing well?
Speaker 3: Appreciate your time? Simple question right off the top.
Speaker 1: Okay, in your opinion, best case scenario for the Utah Jazz at five is which prospect and why?
Speaker 2: Tray Johnson simple questions for me. Trey Johnson led the SEC and scoring. I think this year's crop of teams in the SEC is the best group of teams he's ever had in the conference, and the number of teams that they got in the NCAA tournament reflects that he led the SEC and scoring. He shot thirty nine percent from three on about six attempts per game, and a lot of those attempts were heavily contested. It wasn't like he was getting open catch and shoot, catch and shoot threes. He's a much better passer than he's given credit for. He can play off the ball. I think that Trey Johnson should be arranged to go as high as as number three. So if he falls to Utah at number five, I think you have.
Speaker 4: Your your go to score of the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Trey Johnson best case scenario in your opinion at five, as you reference, you know, a lot of buzz around this kid over the past three or four weeks that indicate maybe he's not there at five. So, Raphael, if we operate off the assumption and the premise that a team in the top four falls in love with Trey secondary best case scenario for the Jazz at five.
Speaker 3: If Trey is off the.
Speaker 2: Board, that's where it gets tough because you look at Utah and I've actually talked to some different.
Speaker 4: Scouts about the Jazz roster.
Speaker 2: And you just need to like really really hit on on on one of your picks, and maybe not necessarily hit this year, because there's a there's there's a kid that's going to be playing in Provo next year that's that pretty pretty dynamic, and a Jed Devasa that that could be available if you if this or next season is similar to this season. But with that being in mind, I mean, I've heard that.
Speaker 4: Ace Bailey could could fall.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's some teams that really like common Molly watch and in his future as far as it's being a rim protector and and floor spacer and defensive anchor. Teams really like VJ. Edgecombe. I like Jeremiah Fears. I think that he has the chance to be a star in this league. But Isaiah Kyllier was really good for Utah last year. What does that mean for Kyllier?
Speaker 4: You already have, based off of.
Speaker 2: Today, Clarkson and Sexton and Kiante.
Speaker 4: So I think Utah has a really really difficult choice. But if eight.
Speaker 2: Or Trey Johnson falls to them, that would be great. But other than that, I just I'm having a hard time about who could be the best, the best option for Utah.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance edge Comb is there at five any chance at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so, I really think so. I just don't think that would be a good fit for Utah simply because is he, you know, like a dominant scorer. Is he the type of player that's going to be able to knock down open jumpers. Is he guy that's going to, like I.
Speaker 4: Said, be a creator off the dribble.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if if he provides that, And but I think he can't be available.
Speaker 1: I really do so, if I'm understanding correctly, if both edge Comb and Trey are there at five, you think the Jazz would go track.
Speaker 2: Now without a doubt, without without a doubt. I mean, like I said, Trey little sec and scoring, and I know scoring is than everything, but I think Trey is the better passor the better shooter. He measured out a little bit bigger, and Edgub is good. People are enamored by the athleticism and what he did for the Bahamas national team last summer. But I mean Trey had a better year and I think he's more ready to come in and contribute.
Speaker 1: Is there any intrigue in your mind at one or two or is it simply I mean, look, Dallas came out and said, look, we're keeping one. Their ownership group said, Nico, you can't trade it. Okay, we're keeping it and we're taking Cooper. So ultimately, Patrick Dumont, the owner, made the call. So we know Cooper's I won any chance it's not dyling it too or do you feel like it's a lock both one and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think Cooper is as much of a lock as you can get number two. I'm not a betting man. I don't gamble, but I said I'm about ninety percent sure san Antonio would take Dylan Harper. Now, whether or not Harper plays a game for this Furst, that's a different subject, because the fit is an ideal when you figure that they just tradeed for Diaron Fox at the deadline, and then Stefan Castle.
Speaker 4: Really struggles to shoot.
Speaker 2: Is at his best when he has on ball reps, and then he really took off from the second half of the year when he had the opportunity to play with the ball in his hands, and so Dylan is at best when he has the ball in his hands. I don't necessarily like to fit, but if san Antonio went with best player available, you go with Harper, then try to figure things out. But I think it would be enticing for a team like Milwaukee to possibly have their point guard of the future if and only if Giannis says that he wants to be moved, and I think san Antonio has some pieces to put together a nice package.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any chance the Jazz could move up in this draft and maybe enty San Antonio with five marketing something like that, you know, because ultimately Raphaels, you know, this is a fan base that really is looking for some hope, looking for a shot in the arm. It's an organization that needs some hope and a shot in the arm for the staff over there. And it's just been a very successful basketball team for the better part of fifty years that has been in no man's land. We're coming up on four years now, so you know, all these reports and rumors out there that the Jazz are going to try to be bold and they're going to do what they can to utilize their assets, their draft capital, their clean books, and would be willing to move on for most anybody if it meant moving up to two and maybe grabbing a Dylan Harper.
Speaker 3: Could the Jazz be in play to move up to two?
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think maybe three would be a little bit more realistic since Philadelphia their timeline has to be win now. I mean, if you think about it, with Embeid and his health concerns and Paul George on the wrong side of thirty five. I don't know how you can make a deal work just you know, numbers wise, but I would say three is probably the high if they can go. I don't know if san Antonio would would make a move up for number two, especially if they can if they think that there's a chance that they compare Victor Wimbama and yas Okitakoupo together.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you about Ace.
Speaker 1: Let me dig in on Ace Bailey a little bit more, because there are some people out there, and look, there's so many and we we like what you do, and I was always a big chad Ford guys, so we like having you on the show and I read your stuff. But there are a lot of mocks out there, a lot of people out there that try to do what you do and others do, and a lot of them have a falling a little bit as a result of the combine measurements and such. So let's play a game a little bit and let's say he falls to five and the Jazz are just, you know, deciding that that's the direction they're they're wanting to go. I don't know if he'll be there. I don't know if they like him, but if it is Ace Bailey at five Raphael, tell jazz fans what you think he can be as a professional when he's fully developed, if.
Speaker 2: He maximizes his potential. I mean, you're talking about a guy that is just able to score and score with the best of them, still has a ways to go. I don't know why his stock would be dropping because he didn't measure out at six ten. I've had people tell me like, if he went to games and if you saw him, then you knew he wasn't sixten, So why would this cock drop down because he didn't measure out out at sixten? But I mean in shoes, He's probably what six' nine and a half in, shoes and he played the game and, Shoes SO i can't imagine the stock falling week because of.
Speaker 4: That but if he puts.
Speaker 2: It all, TOGETHER i mean he's had some. GAMES i think he had a game where he was like thirteen or fifteen from the. Floor he had another game he was like thirteen of. TWENTY i, mean when he is, going he's just a guy that can just make some of the most difficult shots look. Easy when he was, GUARDED i, mean he made like forty four percent of his. Threes it's just. STYLISTICALLY i think some people are just not a fan of his heavy reliance on mid range. Shooting and then you know that the mid range is not considered the most efficient shot as far as this. Analytics but if he puts it, together you have a guy that can. Rebound that should be a week site shot, blocker that can space the, floor and that could be a guy that when you need a bucket at the end of the shock, clock he can get you.
Speaker 1: ONE i know The cooper flag is gonna be A Dallas maverick and of course off the boarded. One AND i think at the start of the college basketball season maybe there was a bit of a, debate but he, clearly uh you, know decided that debate on his. Own let me just ask. You you, know you hear a lot of The kawhi. Stuff there are a lot of you, know a lot of comps going.
Speaker 3: Around. SOMETIMES i don't love.
Speaker 1: COMPS i think it puts a bad idea in a fan's mind and sets a prospect up for.
Speaker 3: Failure but just are.
Speaker 1: You among the, People rafa all that believe that he's generationally special and you, know do you Think dallas really has this superstar type talent that could be An All star for for ten fifteen years in THE.
Speaker 3: Nba, YEAH i think.
Speaker 2: SO i mean the word generational talent is just up for. Debate Like i've had this conversation a few, times like Is Carrie irving a generational? Talent Is Anthony davis a generational? Talent just throwing names out there that people have. ARGUED i, Mean i've even had people Say Dwayne wade isn't a generational. Talent SO i don't Think cooper has to be quote unquote generational to have like a Special hall Of fame type. Career but one THING i will say about The cooper flag comps THAT i actually like is that this is probably the first guy That i've seen where it's like cross racial. Comparisons usually A european is only compared to A european player and so, on and SO i, think, like when it comes to, comparisons you have to have a wide range of comparisons if you're going to go that. Way AND i know that there are some teams that they make players or they make their SCOUTS i only Compare europeans To, europeans or white players to white, players or so. On so With cooper being compared to everyone From, Kawhi i've Seen ak forty, seven who you guys are obviously familiar with In. Utah i've seen some people compare him To. TATUM i just think nobody knows what he is because he has so many ways that he can impact the. Game he can be a mix of a little bit of everything because he's such a good, defender he's a good. Passer he shot the ball a lot better than anyone. EXPECTED i don't think anyone thought he was gonna shoot thirty eight and a half percent from. Three BUT i do think he's going to be. GOOD i think if he puts it all, together WHICH i think he has a, high high, FLOOR i, MEAN i see him as a multi Time All. STAR i just don't know if he's like your ONE. A i don't know if he's your your ONE a on the championship. Team but if he's your ONE, b that's. GOOD i, mean There's Anthony davis to ONE. A i don't think. So but as ONE, b The lakers won a, Championship SO i Think cooper could have a multi Time All, star multi Time ALL Nba all. Defense SO i just don't know if he's your, closer BUT i could be.
Speaker 3: Wrong let me ask.
Speaker 1: You i've seen a couple of mock drafts that Have Jeremiah fears going to The jazz at, five and you brought this up. Earlier it's a good, point AND i honestly can't speak to. It. UH i know that there are some in the organization that don't Think Keyante george is going to be a rotational piece for a good player for excuse, me for a good team in pro. Basketball they like the call of your, kid but if you're lead guard to shooting twenty five percent from three in THE nba in twenty twenty, five you're probably not gonna win a lot of. Games so maybe on paper you look at it and, say wait a, second they've got some young. Guards i'm not sure they like any of their young guards an awful. Lot so if it Is Jeremiah fears at, five which some people are kind of, prognosticating what kind of prospect is?
Speaker 3: He, raphael he LOOKS i really like a.
Speaker 2: LOT i think my brother AND i were probably the first to like put him in the top ten range back in the and it sounded crazy back, then but he has the ability to consistently get two feet in the, paint which is something That Isaiah khleier.
Speaker 4: Was able to do with just his speed and his.
Speaker 2: Aggressiveness BUT i think that with, fears you have to look at how young he. WAS i, mean he's supposed to be at least either preparing for the prom or just finish going to The, prom and instead he's preparing for THE Nba. Draft he was the go to guy and a TOUGH sec, conference LIKE i mentioned, earlier not afraid of the, moment hit, game win a. Shot but they intrigued with him as his ability to consistently get two feet in the. Paint he can create his own. Shot he's, tough he's, competitive and he has a long ways to go as far as like reaching his full. Potential AND i think for him the skis ACTUALLY i think The skuy's blemited for. HIM i think he could be one of the two or three best players in this draft that we're talking about five years from.
Speaker 3: Now Cooper flags teammate At Duke kan K.
Speaker 1: Nipple The malawatch kid is, intriguing but The jazz With Walker, KESTLER i can't imagine they'd want to Add malawatch next To walker unless they're going to move on From, walker WHICH i don't think they'll. Do he's extension eligible And i'm hearing they will extend, him WHICH i think is the right. Thing but tell us about kN kinneple a little, bit another name that has kind of been linked to The jazz potentially at Five and do you think five is too high to Take?
Speaker 3: Knepple, yeah, five five is too.
Speaker 2: HIGH i MEAN i think at number, five especially if you're a team Like, utah you're looking for someone that you think can be a franchise. Guy, now is it easy to get a franchise guy at? Five, No BUT i think you're in a situation where you're not just looking for another connective. Piece AND i think For, TOM i think that's going to be his role in THE nba is as a connective, passer floor spacer guy that competes and the role that he played At duke where he wasn't the, man is going to be the role that he plays in THE nba in my. Opinion SO i don't think five IS i don't THINK i think five is too high for. Him up like that.
Speaker 1: Jeg or DEMON byu point, guard there's like this undercurrent of fear that The jazz are going to draft him at five because he's A byu guy and The jazz owner also helps BANKROLL byu. Basketball as you, know it was interesting to watch him evolve this. Year oftentimes he had a lot of trouble against pressure in The big, twelve And Kevin young would Play Dallan hall against teams that would press Because jegor just couldn't really handle. It he's young and this was his first experience playing really physical college. Basketball the measurables are. There he can really pass. IT i understand the combine stuff was a good look for. Him do you think there's any chance that he's in play at five and where do you think ultimately he lands and?
Speaker 2: Why, YEAH i MEAN i think THERE'S i think there's a. CHANCE i, mean The utah's had a small backcourt for the last few. YEARS i do think there's a. CHANCE i, mean everything that you mentioned before could be a, factor AND i guess it just depends on How utah sees him or sees his potential as a. Shooter i've been Following yegor since he was fifteen years. OLD i went To madrid to watch him Play i've talked to him in person a few. TIMES i really like him as a, kid AND i could understand why a team can just fall for. Him but the concerns are there, about like you, said how he handles. Pressure AND i literally just spoke to a scout from a team a couple hours ago and he, said, Yes yegor probably helped himself with how well he measured and the fact.
Speaker 4: That he shot the ball really. Well but he said that the.
Speaker 2: Thing that everybody wants to see is how tough he. Is can he compete when there's smaller guards that are you, know just defending, him like like A Jose, Alvarado or can he bring the ball up court up the court against The Drew.
Speaker 4: Holly are they type?
Speaker 2: Defender and the scout, said that's something that you won't see in the pre draft process because he's probably not going to go against. Anybody he didn't play at The. Combine so whoever drafts him is going to have to believe that the areas that he struggled with this, year whether it's the shooting or sometimes being, assertive that they can get the best out of. Him BUT i do think it's realistic that he could be in play For utay, five or maybe they trade down and get. Him i'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure jazz also have twenty, one And i'm not going to pin you to a name at twenty. One i'll just ask, you generally, speaking do you believe this draft is deep enough that some options at twenty one could be intriguing?
Speaker 3: Enough and you know it's.
Speaker 1: Interesting raphael is the better picks The jazz have made ever since the ownership. Changed in the front, office change have been later, on you, Know Kyle, Philapowski Isaiah. Collier we'll see what happens With. Taylor he's. Hurt but obviously it was a rough look For cody last. Year no one's anointing or dismissing based off of one year in THE. Nba but this is a front office that shown the ability to find some things in the. Twenties generally, speaking what sort of talent would be there at twenty.
Speaker 2: One, yeah there's a player THAT i really like For, utah and that is A greek prospect Named meoplis Ov. Dallas i've been higher on him than the. CONSENSUS i think that if he would have went to college this, year we'd be talking about him as a lottery, pick similar To Jegor demen And Kaspar shakachonas and some of the other international. Players he just didn't have the. Opportunity he didn't go to. College and Then Vin saraf And Noah singhe are playing In, germany but they're playing on a team that gives young players the, opportunity and Most european teams really don't give young players an. Opportunity they everything is, win win, now and they think that it's better to win with. Veterans so with that being, said Ov dallas is six.
Speaker 4: Eight he's a.
Speaker 2: GOOD casser i think he's one of the better athletes in this draft as far as the. Guard position plus he has. Positional size he played well at. The combine he knocked on, open shots but he didn't really have the opportunity to play much with all in. His hands so at, TWENTY one i think, for him if he is a, point guard then you got a six to eight. Point guard but if, he's not because of his size and his ability, to shoot it gives you some flexibility into how you can. Use them and with all that, being said if he does end up going to, college route which we may find out in the next couple. OF days i think he ends up being a. Lottery pick so if you can get him at, twenty one you get a steal another steal For the jazz later on in the outside of.
Speaker 4: The lottery, all.
Speaker 3: Right ralphel last Thing and i'll Set.
Speaker 1: You lewis you referenced his name earlier And everything i've seen Every time i've watched aj debonce, And play i'm, just like oh, My Gosh like i'm not sure THAT b yu fans know what the have. Down there i'm not sure that in state college basketball fans. Are ready he might be the best player that we've ever. Had here certainly as, a talent it's hard to argue with any.
Speaker 3: Of that we've never.
Speaker 1: Had a top, you know five or even one recruit play at Either the University of UTAH, or byu and We Had dame.
Speaker 3: Lillard here so let's put a Respect.
Speaker 1: On Dame And andre Miller And jimmer furdett and everyone that's played here in.
Speaker 3: THE state i could.
Speaker 1: Keep going but for basketball fans that are curious but, not familiar just what kind of PLAYER is byu Getting In, Aj, debontsa well You Have ben, horn, right, yes, Yes certainly Keith van horne should be on. That LIST like, I said i could, keep Going but i'm not Sure that keith had THE talent. AJ did I think keith himself would probably.
Speaker 2: Admit, That, Yeah Well keith lein pretty high was. Number two, number.
Speaker 3: Two yep.
Speaker 2: As special he's. He's special he's got the ideal, positional, size athleticism the. Shot making he was really good his. Senior YEAR but i felt like he was. THE board, i mean he had been dominating high school since he was, a FRESHMAN and i think that having a new challenge of, COLLEGE basketball i think that's going to bring something else out of him that we haven't. Consistently seen, BUT yeah i mean it's going to be exciting for the Fans in UTAH and. YU fans i think that he has, a really really good shot at being the number. One pick but there's two other guys in this class that. Are special next year's Class And daran Peterson And cameron Boozer and jazz fans are familiar with The Name carlos Boozer and Cameron is. Carlos's SON but aj is right up there as far as the miapion the best prospects to come out of high school in the last, ten YEARS and i think that it's going to be a year similar To When zion williamson was in, college basketball even with twenty two when You Had ben Carroll And chet holmer And, jabari smith where felt like if they get one of, those guys that they're going to be a playoff team within the year two. Or THREE and i Think if utah DOES, get AJ then i think that's the franchise guy that you were. Hoping for and it could also be a great consolations typing out the best way to. Use IT but i do THINK that aj could be Better than cooper flat so it could be a blessing in DISGUISE as aj ends up being the number one pick in twenty twenty Six and utah's number one and they missed Out on cooper flag in twenty.
Speaker 4: TWENTY five a.
Speaker 1: Lot of jazz fans curious about. These prospects rafa all work and they go get all.
Speaker 3: Your work you.
Speaker 4: Can find ME at nba big board.
Speaker 2: Dot com it is. My newsletter try to put out an article two or three times. A week BUT then i have MY Podcast Nba big boards on The locked, on NETWORK and i have a PODCAST that i do at the least five times, a week sometimes even. More so i'm pretty easy, to find, all, right.
Speaker 3: Man thanks for, the time. Good stuff i'll get you, Back, soon okay, no.
Speaker 2: Problem anytime let, Me Know.
Speaker 1: Rafael BARLOW The nba draft is a matter of. Weeks away june the. Twenty fifth we will have you covered HERE on espn. SEVEN hundred i will be anchoring our Coverage Alongside gordy Chisa And.
Speaker 3: Richard smith and there's a chance we're going to be out.
Speaker 1: And about so if you're a jazz fan looking to, hang out grab, some dinner, some drinks what, have you and watch the draft do it with us HERE on espn. Seven hundred rafael stops by today courtesy of our FRIENDS At Ifa. Country stores when the, seasons change if you're like any, good coach you'll put together your game plan for, a healthy green lawn and you'll turn to the EXPERTS. At ifa check out their four plus lawn care program everything you need to make your yard. A hit it's the ultimate lawn owner power MOVE at IFA And ifa Dot co op