Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back. What is this place? Is connected? Disconnected? It's connected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected. I'm starting to feel disconnected. You'll break the number that has been disconnected.
Speaker 3: Hey there, and welcome to another live Thursday Night Reconnected, and this time with another first time guest.
Speaker 2: I've been getting a lot of those lately, the one and only.
Speaker 3: Mister Michael Byers from The Shameless Picture Show. Thank you for coming, of course, thank you for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It's an honor.
Speaker 3: Love your show, love you, Love that we've been able to get this done. I genuinely feel like I've been counting down to the state for quite some time.
Speaker 2: So so grateful that you're here. Yeah, especially because I had to reschedule the last one because I my wife to see Rosemary's Baby in the theater.
Speaker 3: So I get it. Yeah, it's all right. I've heard it's an okay movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's it's pretty good with a crowd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would love to see with a crowd. I gotta say I've only ever seen it at home and I don't love it. I'm wondering if I would like you better in a theater. First of all, it's.
Speaker 2: A movie that's grown on It's a movie that my mother really was hot on when I was young and showed it to me at a relatively young age, that in Psycho, and I just thought, yeah, that was a movie. But it's a movie that's really grown on me over the years. And then seeing it in theaters with almost a packed crowd just kind of re solidified that movie a little bit for me. Yeah, that makes sense. I need to do it.
Speaker 3: I will do it hopefully at some point if there's an option available. One shout out in the chat Ronnie confer if this is correct, I believe it's Ronnie's birthday.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday.
Speaker 3: If it is, I think it is Happy Birthday, Ronnie.
Speaker 2: Let's break down first. What is the Shameless Picture Show? Oh? Right? So The Shameless Picture Show is a film analysis podcast that I started with my former co host, Nick Richards. We met each other at the Beloite Film Festival. Funny enough, he was living in We're both from Wisconsin. He was living in Maryland at the time, and we loved talking movies with each other, and with there being a long distance, it was not always easy to do. So we started that podcast, and it was started with the conceit of every cinophile, whether they want to admit it or not, has a list of shame, a list of movies that they have not seen for one reason or another, and it was a place for us, in a very non judgmental way to get together admit, hey, I haven't seen this, and let's talk about it. Because sometimes, you know, there's really big films that if or anything like me, you put off. It's like, okay, yeah, I could see The Godfather, or I could see all the films that the god that ripped off the Godfather because I'm sure the godfathers it's not going anywhere true. And that's you know, so it's kind of nice to have to have an excuse like, Okay, I'm gonna sit down and I have to force myself, not force myself, but I'm choosing now to watch this instead of something else that's on the pile, or you know what have you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a conceit that I think is important. It's one that everybody, everybody has, even though many people seem to not.
Speaker 2: Want to admit it.
Speaker 3: Everybody, I don't know, it is subjected to certain levels of ridicule, of actual shame and then like very personal shame. So much so that in not every industry this is a problem, but genuinely around film, there's so many people that will literally lie about having seen something just because they don't to be looked down on for that type of sentiment.
Speaker 2: But I don't I don't get it now. I'm sure like back when I was in film school, when you didn't want to be that person, I'm sure. Like The Apocalypse now is the film that I remember like people being like, oh, we've seen Apocalypse now. I'm like, yeah, just don't ask.
Speaker 3: Me any questions, right, I can't explain anything from it, but it's a it's a good movie. Yeah that that that sort of thing is so odd, and you know, it is a sense of shame for many people. But Jesus, uh, so many of the films, you know, we might talk about them tonight when they're on either of our lists, because that's what we're gonna share after the conversation is more of a conversation about the Shameless Picture Show and films on our shameless they they might be films that we're going to delight in the fact that the other person still gets the opportunity to see it for the first time. That's got to be a sense of enjoyment for you, when you get to show these films to people.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's it's especially now when it's a film that neither of us have seen, but I try to stick to the rule that one of us should not have seen it. I've broken that rule. I've also I've also slightly broken that rule where it's happened where we're supposed to. I'm supposed to do an episode and then it falls through, and then it happens later on, so we'll technically I've seen this movie now, but I'm still gonna count it like I have that happening soon. With Clueless, for example, I'd never seen Clueless Master, but I have, and I was supposed to do an episode on it and the guests fell through, and we'll just fine. It happens sometimes. But then I have Millie de Cheriko wanting to come on and discuss it, and I was like, well, even though I've seen Clueless now, I'm still doing this episode.
Speaker 3: Because it was brand new for the show too, exactly interesting. Yeah, yeah, I bet that's that's gotta be fun just to discover things through that. So we'll get we'll get into some more like broad thoughts on the show and some of your experiences. Was seeing some of these for the first time. But let's talk about things other than that.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 3: What else have you done in your history that's related to the film industry that I might be leading you to answers so that we can talk about things that start with the tea and rhyme with that movie you Roma.
Speaker 2: Well I saw. I think I mentioned that I went to film school. I'm one of those film school people, and I loved my time there. I went to the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and they have a very experimental film program. Like you're not gonna go to UWM and necessarily learn how to be a gaffer. No, you're gonna instead study the film's a stand brackage, and you're gonna watch things like Wavelength and analyze it and discuss it. So like they're really good about putting a camera in your hand, like a like a BULLX camera and having you go out and shoot stuff and experiment Uh. But like many people I had, I had a love for Hollywood cinema to extent and then also just exploitation and horror. Uh So I made a little, a little film called From the Darkness Theater and it actually did very well. It played at phil phil En Celemo. I can't pronounce his name, the guy from I know. I know the name of his horror film festival, the Housecore Horror Film Festival. I cannot think of the band that he's in.
Speaker 3: Uh it is u Pantera Pantera, Yes, you can tell them.
Speaker 2: Don't listen to the band very much.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It played at his film festival, played before Suspiria, and it actually played at the Can Film Festival. Uh. And while there, I traveled there by myself. Uh. And I met a lot of weird people and I'm at Lloydko of all people at King Yeah, he was shooting his Occupy Can documentary at the time, which I think he's finally getting around to finishing. And I met also Liam Reagan of of Refuse I always want to say Recluse, and that's the wrong name. Refuse Films. Met him there when he was still trying to get Banjo made. I think he made the short film of it. He was playing Toxi at the time, and I just hit off with a lot of those guys and I hung out with them through a lot of because I couldn't do much, you know, I was nobody. I could walk around the the the area where they're also they're selling films, but I couldn't do anything like you couldn't even so each country when you're at the cann Film Festival, each country has its own little oasis. It's like a couple of tenths set up where you can go and relax, have a drink network. The United States had one of these little oasis set up, but you can only get in if you're on their list, so I couldn't get in, So I hung out Canada all the time. They were nice, they let me in.
Speaker 3: I'm not shocked about either of those two things, by the way, exactly, the very exclusive US and welcoming Canada. Very surprised can Trauma that is that is cool? So what else have you done with Trauma since then?
Speaker 2: So after that, I became an editor for Trauma. I was there, one of their first out of state editors. It was a very terrible system and how it came to be is actually kind of funny. Essentially, what they would do is they would Lloyd would anytime Lloyd would go anywhere film festival or he was camera came he's had a camera camo cameo on a movie, he'd bring his little camera with.
Speaker 3: Him, which is often by the way, Lloyd does say no to anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll he'll and he'll just go there and shoot a bunch of stuff and then pretty much say, cool, now that I have this footage, give it to one of our editors and make them make it educational. Yeah, he has no intention when he goes and shoots any of this stuff. But then you have to weave through it and find a story in it. And that was my job. And they would just I would mail them a hard drive, they would load it with footage, and they'd mail it back to me. It was a very weird system. What year was this. This was twenty thirteen through like maybe twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen. I stopped doing this right around the time that I met my wife. And originally they weren't even gonna like bring me on to do it. I emailed them asking if you know they're looking for an editor and they told me, no, you're not in New York. We can't really do much with you. I understood that Lloyd came to Chicago for Return to Newcomb High Volume one and wanted to get lunch with me. Man loves nachos. That's what every time I've ever had food with him, he gets nachos. And it was a fun conversation. We spent a lot of time talking about like Fellini films and things like that. And then at the end of it, I'm getting ready to leave and he goes, Michael, why aren't you editing for me? And I was like, because your team told me no, yeah, and he goes who. I was like, I don't know the person's name. He goes, you email me on Monday, and then I goes, there, edit that person off the team. Yes, And I would say, you know, he would personally watch everything I made, I cut and he'd send me notes. Sometimes they're written on a napkin and they would just take a picture of them and it would just be like at He'd write time codes and then in quotations a joke and I was like, Okay, he wants me to add this joke in there is what I usually assumed, But I got to do some cool videos I did there when they were at the Museum of Modern Art. They made a big video for it. He wanted me to edit that, and actually was. It's on the Classic Newcomb High The Subhumanoid Subhumanoid Meltdown Blu Ray. It's on there. So I have some of the stuff I edited on Blu Rays. I don't know how much of it's still around though, because their YouTube got nuked years ago. But I did videos where he interviewed Richard Stanley, Bruce, Le Bruce, a bunch of cool people, and it was a It was a fun little gig for a while. That is awesome.
Speaker 3: And what's funny is now their YouTube is back, and I feel like better than ever at the moment they're they're doing like actual interesting choices for for YouTube at which for Trova is not something I would have expected.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's Lloyd's never gonna just He's never gonna stop. He's never gonna roll over. Even when their YouTube got nuked, he found a way, even with their streaming service, he's still the first one to be like, hey steal this movie. I don't care. Yeah, he's see his stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's supportive of pretty much everybody. Like I said, he literally says yes to almost everything, which you can't. You can't say about everyone. There's a lot of people that will say no to everything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I I did that for a while. I did some freelance editing gigs all the while trying to make films and filmmaking is hard. It's especially when you don't have money, and I didn't have money to pump into it myself, and you get to a certain point you get sick of asking for favors. And I'm moved to a small town in Wisconsin, and I was really depressed because I was just far enough that the drive to the city to do things was it was. It was annoying, and I found myself just saying no to things, which is stupid, but you know, it happened. And then people stop calling you when you don't say yes to things, which is understandable. I did to myself. But I want I found myself kind of going through a rut trying to figure out what do I want to do? Yeah, I love film, but I I couldn't picture a path without filmmaking. So that's why I started the podcast. I thought it was like can I can I rediscover my love for film? And look where you are now. Yeah, I'm doing the Disconnected podcast with you. That's not moving up, but thank you. I there's there's other things.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're working on other projects right now that I'm so eager for people to hear about someday too.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I don't know. I don't. I feel like I know which one you're talking about in rhymes cook, Uh, that's the one. But I didn't know if we didn't know if we were talking about that yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited to see what else you know, reflecting back on a period of life that has led to so many connections for you, what what that means and what you can be able to really supply to other people that will be interesting enough for them to literally purchase. I'm excited to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am too, And I'm excited to have you as a partner on this mystery project.
Speaker 3: Everybody's now gonna be like what the hell? Okay, Well, first, before we get into the next regular portions, Uh, you live in what is currently a like polar tundra. Wanted to to say, everybody, stay safe. It's gonna be a wild few days. My wife literally was meant to make dinner during my last stream so I could eat between the streams, and she got stuck at the grocery store for an hour and a half because everything is so packed right now. I had to scarf down to McDonald's cheeseburgers in a span of like ninety seconds.
Speaker 2: I didn't see I've been staring at you this entire time. Well, it was right before we went live, literally during the theme song.
Speaker 3: It has been intense. Yes, I am still a little hungry, thanks McDonald's.
Speaker 2: So yeah, stay safe out there.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be wild. We got to talk about this movie. So let's talk about this. What we've been watching recently? What have you seen the last couple of weeks?
Speaker 2: Oh right, so well, funny enough, you mentioned about Polar Vortex. I had tickets to go see Marty Supreme tomorrow and it just got canceled on me. Oh no, my wife what we just texted me when we were here. She's like, no movie tomorrow. I'm like, damn, it's that sucks all right, So last couple weeks, how far back do you want me to go? However much you want to talk about.
Speaker 3: But first, let's talk about the Testament of an Lee because I think I said that title like eighteen times during the last stream, and not because they were nominated for anything, but because I loved it so much.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the Testament of Anlee. What you thought? Oh, I love the Testament of Anilie. So my good buddy Austin Procter of the Frightmares podcast, he came and stay stayed with me over the weekend, and Testament of Anilee was one of the movies we saw. It took him to the most beautiful theater in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's called the Oriental Theater, and they were showing the Testament of Anilee. I'm seventy milimeter and I try to go to any seventy milimeter screening I can because I'm fortunate enough to have a theater that can project it. And I was floored by the Testament Aniley. I didn't I didn't one hundred percent know what I was getting into going in, going into it. I've not seen any of monofest folds directorial work, but I had seen The Brutalist, which I was a huge fan of, which she co wrote with Brady Corbet, who co wrote this film with her. Oh you have the picture pulled up? Look at that that This is called hosting. Yeah, so that's my my wonderful wife, Amanda, and the tall person in between us, that's Austin Procter is the Fright Maar's podcast. Look at the theater that's up in the balcony which they only opened during specific screenings, but I pulled some strings so we can get up there. Amazing. That's incredible. It's an incredible theater to see a movie in, and especially selimeter. Oh yes, and this this movie just looked gorgeous and I didn't quite know what to expect. The trailer that I saw kind of gave me folk horror vibes. Yeah, kind of reminded me of The Witch, which I didn't love when I first saw it, so I but I love folk horror, so like I was like, all right, I'm I'm still excited, I'm ready to go in. And I was just blown away by it. I love that you shout out the Witch.
Speaker 3: I've been telling people The Testament of an Lee because like nobody has seen it yet, because it just came out wide. I've been telling people it's as if Robert Eggers directed a cult a religious cult musical in a way.
Speaker 2: Yes, but me, but my wife and I were arguing of whether or not it actually counts as a musical.
Speaker 3: Technically, No, because it's not progressing the plot in any way.
Speaker 2: No, it's all this songs are relatively diegetic, and there are songs that they would be singing in the day to day life anyways, because the chefs were kind of a musical group and they it made even more evident by the fact that they're singing and it's driving everyone nuts. So but I understand why they classified it as a musical because I feel like if they didn't, it's it's almost feels misleading not to mention it. Yeah, in a way, I guess it'd be misleading because I feel like, I know, I know people who have a strong aversion to two musicals, and I feel like if they went to this not knowing that there's gonna be so much singing, they might feel like pulling the rug out. I don't. I personally don't think that, but I I feel like it was a promotional discussion.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're kind of doing it, uh forever, like they did it for Wonka they did it for what was the other one they hid last year?
Speaker 2: There was another one, shit, there was another musical last year that they hid. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Anyways, it'll probably it's somebody, somebody in the chat will say it. I'm sure in just a more but yeah, it's it's seemingly becoming a thing that we're hiding things or musicals all at the same time while we're releasing. We're gonna talk about tonight, a Broadway musical that hit theaters this year that did okay that I saw in theaters.
Speaker 2: Love stuff like that. So yeah, glad you got to see this, and glad you liked it. Yeah, I really did. And I'm still trying to decide if I can put this on my if this goes on my twenty twenty five list or my twenty twenty six list, well, it is a twenty twenty five film, but it didn't have a wide release in twenty twenty five. That's where my like it is true problem comes in. It's not important, but it's something that it's I'm tossed in turning over it. Because I'm a nerd, I always classified as which oscars are they eligible form? That's fair that's fair. Then I guess I gotta take it off of my twenty twenty six list. You should, I think you should, so test in a band, Lee? What what else have you been watching? Oh? Right, So I'll kind of focus in on the time when Uh, actually no, I'll go back a little bit. So one thing that I've been doing since last years I realized that Steven Soderberger has made a fuck ton of movies and I've only up until I started this challenge, I already had only seen like five of them. I was going through his Wikipedia's, like, man, this man has never stopped working. Even when he said he was going to retire, he was still shooting second unit for like Hunger Games and things. So I thought, well, I'm gonna I'm just gonna go through his filmography in chronological order. Uh, And that has been I'm still within the his first five films, and they even those are all over the place, yep. Like you go from sex lizes and video Tape to Kafka, and then from there there's King of the Hill, which I think is a gem of a movie, even though he doesn't agree the underneath with Peter Gallagher, and then next to Schizopolis, which what a weird run film. So I've been working through the films of Steven Soderberg and as I said, I watched King of the Hill and The Underneath this year. I also watched The Hudsucker Proxy for the first time recently for an upcoming episode. Nice. Nice, he needs to tune into that so you can find out what he thought. Yes, And then over the weekend I watched the Herschel Gordon Lewis film The Gruesome Twusome. How'd you feel about that one? I liked It's it's not my favorite Herschel Gordon Lewis film, but I did quite like it. We chose it because it was like seventy two minutes long. Yeah, and it was the night that Austin got in it and he I don't think we got home until like ten o'clock, but it was like we weren't tired enough to go to bed. So it's like, okay, let's throwing a short movie. And The Gruse and Twsome won that. I saw the new Park chan Look film No Other Choice. Great movie. It is a great movie. And the way that they handle tone in that film, because it is it's a balancing act Oh yes, the dog that's walking around that. Her name is Frankenstein. She is thirteen years old. But because of that, she paces because she's old and has sore joints and it's too hard for her to get up and down, so she'd rather just walk around. Yeah. There she is. She's just walking her perimeter. Yeah good. Yeah, he's on guard. Yeah. We are much safer with her, so you're gonna see her walking around. But no other Choice, No Other Choice was a great time. They handled that tone expertly. The comedy never took away from the drama of the film, but it it got wild. I love No Other Choice, funny enough.
Speaker 3: I saw that and Testament van Lee in a span of two and a half days at the Saint Louis International Film Festival in November and loved them both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's essentially what happened was. I wasn't at the Saint Louis Film Festival, but it was the span of a day. Yeah, and they weird. We compliment to each other. Well I don't. I can't explain why, but it just felt right. Yeah, agreed. Uh, And then I'll be touching on this again a little bit later when we talk about things we picked up. But then I also watched the AGFA release of Amanda and the Alien. Fun movie, fun movie it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We were walking around a local video store called Good Shit Video and my wife, who doesn't see her name mentioned very often, saw Amanda in the Alien and she's like, I don't know what this is? What I have to buy it, gotta do it. Yeah, So we watched it that night, and then I rewatched The CRUs Too something with the commentary track. I just had to. I had to. My twenty twenty six goal is if I watched something that I own a physical media, I I used to do this and I don't do it as much anymore. I need to complete the disc telling myself. Maybe not if every single commentary, because sometimes a disc will have like four or five. But I'm trying to be better about because that's the stuff that makes me love movies. And I don't know why I don't watch him as much. So I get that. I watched all the special features on The Gruesome Twosome and rewatched it with commentary.
Speaker 3: Nice, very nice? How the how was the commentary? Specifically commentary is good?
Speaker 2: It's got Mike Vrainy from something weird video, kind of moderating it, and he's just great about pulling questions out of Lewis, who has a when they recorded this was, which was back when the DVD came out. I believe he just had a really good memory about how a lot of things were. And I learned from this commentary that he had a very good working relationship with KFC. There's a lot of KFC product placement in Gris and Tis and a couple of his movies. And essentially what happened was he said, you, if you feed my crew for a couple of days, I'll put KFC logos throughout the movie. And he agreed, and then eventually Colonel Sanders was in one of his movies. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, Hershel Gordon Lewis had a hell of an interesting life. That's one of the biggest things that people need to take away from his stuff. And one thing I'll shout out. I don't know if people have seen this or not. The Sean Baker interview of Herschel Gordon Lewis on the Criterion Channel is one of the greatest things to ever be on the Criterion Channel. And I do say that earnestly like it is genuinely beyond intriguing the entire time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, I think I feel like I watched that way back before you even kne who Sean Baker was. Yeah, he looked very young in the interview, that's for sure. Yes, And then any of the interviews that John Waters did with Herschel Gordon Lowis is also pretty great and funny enough. I reached out to Herschel Gordon Lowis back before he passed away. He was just a filmmaker I really admired, and I reached out and I fold he had a marketing business at the.
Speaker 3: Time yep, which by the way he started obviously, and everything that he did, he was super into marketing.
Speaker 2: I reached out to his marketing company and just said, I'm sorry this is inappropriate, but I'm just a big fan of your movies. Is there anyway I can get like an autograph photo? He emailed me back a very eloquent email that essentially said, if you send thirty dollars in a self address, signed envelope, I will send it one. It's so Herschel I had so little money. I could barely afford groceries at that time, so I was like, okay, I'll I'll get I'll circle back to this and he then died a couple months. Dang, that's rough timing. Yes, but I got to email him and that was still pretty cool that I mean, and you've got a response. Yeah, I got a response. It's it's it's all about prospective Ryan. It's like I never got to have John Waters on my podcast, but he personally said no to me, so that still feels like a win. I don't know if I should should say this.
Speaker 3: A couple of things over this last year has been really weird to me where somebody, especially for physical media, has asked me if I can find out if somebody would be interested in doing something for a disc and a lot of time, I'll say, yeah, I'll try, and it's somebody that I have no dream of ever being able to speak to in any way. One of the most surprising ones of this last year is somebody saying, hey, we'd love to get John Waters to talk about these films. Can we can we see if we can reach out to him and if you can get him. I was like, I don't think there's any way I'll be able to get to him, but I'll try.
Speaker 2: Within an hour, he was personally telling me no over email.
Speaker 3: It's like, how did I just get to your waters in like thirty four minutes?
Speaker 2: It was crazy actually, because he doesn't he's not an easy person to contact, Like he has this whole system where you if you have fan mail, you have to send it to a comic book store down the block from his house. Yep, no he uh. He personally declined the podcast and then tipped my former co host fifty Bucks personally declined. I mean that's that's a pretty great claim to fame.
Speaker 3: My big one like that over this last year was I got I got jim I Norski to get upset with me personally and raise his voice at me over the phone, which was fun.
Speaker 2: What did you do to piss off jim Way Norsky?
Speaker 3: We wouldn't pay for his uber in two different directions he has.
Speaker 2: He has blocked me on Facebook at least twice, and I have no I have never even encountered with him, so I don't even know why you had to unblock you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, oh geez, anything else that you watched recently that you want to shut out?
Speaker 2: I watched together. That was a fun time, fun movie. Yeah, yeah, I was not expecting as much humor in that film. Yeah, I'm not complaining though. I think I even said this in my letterbox review. So Dave Franco was in both Together and the film Neighbors, and they both share a very similar scene.
Speaker 3: I did not connect that. But that is true. That is absolutely true.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spoil either movie for someone. If you've not seen Neighbors and or Together, that's fun. Do a double feature. Yeah, it's a good movie. It's a good frank O day. Yeah, good movie. Check out together. One that quickly. I feel like people are forgetting just came out this last year because twenty twenty five is a good year for movies. It was. It is particularly strong, and not even just the big, highly acclaimed movies that are getting like the Oscars and everything, but just there was just a lot of fun stuff that came out. Yeah, even like some of the I didn't love, it's like I still had a good time with That's true. That is true.
Speaker 3: I had a lot that I I I've classified it as like I was definitely entertained and was glad that I saw them, but they were not good movies.
Speaker 2: Like what like what's one of the what's one of the ones that you had fun with but wasn't that great? Let me pull up my list? Oh oh god, well, I always forget the actual title of it. Uh the like rom com of the Sister's husband Died and the car. Gosh, one second, I watched too many movies. I gotta go down the list. It is.
Speaker 3: This is great TV. I'm so sorry regretting you entertained the entire film. Not a good movie, not a good movie at all.
Speaker 2: That's fair that that is one I hadn't Actually, I don't think I even heard of that one. It's one of the eighteen McKenna grace films that came out this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough, it's it's not good, but it is a fun watch for sure.
Speaker 2: Another one. Let's see, honey Don't like. I don't think this is a good movie, but I had a lot of fun watching it. I am a honey Don't defender.
Speaker 3: I think it is a very good movie, and a lot of people are not approaching it as if it's a send up of like Forty's Gumshoe Detective Fun Stories, which is very obvious because, oh my god, is Margaret Qualley's accent in that literally just pulled right out of a.
Speaker 2: Nineteen three more Like, No, you're absolutely right. So I just had such a great time with it. But like, I left that movie and I was like, I think I need to see this again because I really don't know how I'm feeling about it other than I had a great time with it.
Speaker 3: Super super innovative opening credits in Honey Don't as Well look weird thing to remark on, but I love the opening credits in Honey Don't.
Speaker 2: Credits don't get enough credit. But no, like and then there was just some little things that I feel like went really under the radar, like Splitsville. Splitsville was a something I hadn't even heard of, and it was probably the hardest I laughed all year.
Speaker 3: There's one scene in that that made me laugh maybe the hardest all year. The the roller coaster scene is probably the funny scene to come out of all of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I did not enjoy the movie all that might oh see. I just that their their entire little fight sequence when they just when they agree that you know, knives are probably not a smart idea, just nearly took me off my couch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, the fight scene was pretty funny. It was a long fight scene too, so maybe it's better than I'm giving it credit for.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'll go into a couple.
Speaker 3: Of my recent watches because I had a shockingly large week compared to what I expected. And what's funny is this first film is three and a half hours long. But I'm gonna mention I showed my kids the Peter Jackson King Kong. I have always been a big defender of that movie. I adore that movie. Yeah, I love that movie. They had a blast with it. It was a good time. It is about as good as I remember, and I overrated more than most people.
Speaker 2: I love that movie.
Speaker 3: It's epic. I think it's well made. But my god, is the CGI really bad in it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's of its time. But I think I saw that movie in the theater twice because I was just I was really hot on it. It might be my favorite King Kong movie. I don't know. I have to really think about that.
Speaker 3: I love Kong School Island, but it's definitely the top Tyber three for me.
Speaker 2: However, and I saw King Kong for the first the reason I had I had to see the second time other than the fact that I loved it, was because the person I want to go see it with truly was not interested in seeing it and just played Grant Thottle three on his PSP the entire time. He sat in the back of the theater, and I'll like, why did you even come?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's rough. I agree with the people saying that King Kong is too long. The big thing is getting to the island that should not take like fifty minutes. I agree that it like humanizes and gives you a reason to care about the people. But my god, we don't need forty five minutes of lead up to get to the boat and then some rough boat scenes and then suddenly we're on the island and now an hour into the film.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I don't feel like it bothered me at the time, but I've also probably not rewatched it in over a decade. Yeah, it's it had been a while for me.
Speaker 3: I love it, and even then, like the getting to the island, I like that part is just for the film. It wasn't needed, all right, What else? Let me pull back my list again. Oh, I finally watched a House of Dynamite from last year.
Speaker 2: Did you see that one the Catherine Bigelow? No, No, how was it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: It's very well.
Speaker 3: She's an incredib director, so it's a very well made movie. I was happy with the structure of the film, which seems to be a lot of people's complaints. I understand that it takes away the weight a little bit of what is happening in the movie, but honestly, it was just compelling.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like Catherine Bigelow just has my number a little bit in her movies, and it's like directed straight from me. I loved the first and third act of House to Dynamite more than the second act. And what's hilarious as all three acts are the same portion of the film, just done three times.
Speaker 2: But it's good.
Speaker 3: I was greatly appreciative to see the cast that she had in it. Truly loved seeing some of these people give her just really great performances, especially like Tracy Lett's seeing in a pretty important role was nice to see.
Speaker 2: Jared Harris always remarkable, hilarious to.
Speaker 3: See him in this and in Chernobyl and I don't want to spoil anything, but if you've seen either of those movies, the fact that he has the same outcome is crazy, And I guess your noble's on a movie. It's a limited series hell other things. That's true Reverence. We talked about this on the show a couple of weeks ago because they got a physical media release and it looked like it was what is the polite way to say this to make people not feel alienated? Oh, I know, red hat trailer, trash magaporn, That's exactly what it was.
Speaker 2: I did not like anything about this movie.
Speaker 3: I thought that they could have gone a lot of different ways, but it basically just lifted up the wrong characters and made somebody out to be a hero when they were just kind of a piece of shit. The entire movie and that sort of thing really grinds my gears. It made no sense whatsoever. Nothing about the movie was logical. Do not watch Reverence from twenty twenty five. It's a bad, bad movie.
Speaker 2: Good. I had no intention to smart Man. One that you should watch though. Clemency from twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: This is a movie that is directed by her name is hard to say.
Speaker 2: It is Chinonia Chuck Wu.
Speaker 3: She is an incredible director for this movie and it is about an individual who is a warden at a prison, and the movie starts with an execution gone wrong and sort of traumatizes a bunch of people that were associated with that and the act of being a warden after having that happen, and how it affects your future decisions and humanizing prisoners.
Speaker 2: Very good movie.
Speaker 3: It is a little bit plotting, and I feel like the fact that we have the failed execution at the beginning. It sort of loses its emotional weight after that, but it's still a journey worth going on and really will hammer home how you should not go to prison and probably not work into prison. But it's fun movie, and fun not meant in a literal sense, like it's well made and you would have a good time watching it.
Speaker 2: And it's got Alfre ordered that's great. He is quite good in it.
Speaker 3: I also watched Your Sister Sister, the mumblecore movie from twenty eleven with Mark Duplas.
Speaker 2: And good movie.
Speaker 3: It is just shockingly well written, directed by Lynn Shelton, who is a master, very very well done. Yeah, Emily Blunt kind of weird accent work in the movie, but they sort of make it make sense by the end of it.
Speaker 2: Check it out. Good movie. I'm appreciative, but that I got to see it Stuugh. I like a couple of these I've never even heard of, So that was one of my goals this week is some very underseen movies. What was the name of that last one? Your sister's sister. I was quite fond of a lot of those mumblecore movies when they were first coming out. It's just they all just kind of worked for me.
Speaker 3: There is maybe the funniest moment in any mumblecore movie I've seen in this movie, and it's Mark Duplas trying to show people a condom.
Speaker 2: I'll just leave it at that. It is wildly funny. What I'm sold, I've I've got. I've added both of these two my lists because now I need to see them.
Speaker 3: Speaking of being sold, what have you been getting in lately for physical media?
Speaker 2: All right, I got it, I got. I have to do these in stacks. So there with me.
Speaker 3: By the way, I love all the people that have already tonight said how much you resemble Stanley Kubrick.
Speaker 2: I haven't caught those those comments, but I did a I led a panel a couple of years ago for a horror film festival and the photographer took a picture of me in just the right angle, and I was like, oh man, I okay, Stanley Kubrick nice all right. So these are these are in a weird order, so I'm just going off of them. So recently I got Let's Scare Jessica to Death. Brilliant movie. And I saw this movie years ago. I want to say it was on like two it's one point or something like that, ye, and it just really stuck with me. So when I found out that vinegar Syndrome put this little this little gem out, I knew I had to pick it up. And I wanted this nice slip cover. I love the pink. I think it's such a vibe. So a big fan of that. Also recently gotten this one. I got in as a review copy from Keena Larber. I got Diva Ooh, I need to see this one. Yeah. So I'm a big fan of the movie Betty Blue, which was directed by the same person I'm sure i'm gonna mispronounce. His name is Jean Jacques Benet Is how I've been going with it's this is the film he did before Betty Blue, and it sounds like it is a French crime film, which is perfect because I love French crime films. So Keena Larber just put this out in four K and it's absolutely stacked with special features everything. It's got a seen specific commentary, commentaries with the director itself, it has a arthor Simon Abrams does a commentary on here as well. It's it's got an introduction by Phil Prowie or sorry, Phil Powery, and it also just is stacked with interviews with pretty much everyone involved in this film. Nice. So I'm excited to dig into that. Picked up Dogma, good little indie film. Yeah, yeah, I've been holding on to my DVD copy for ages because no one knew what was gonna happen with this film. So I was walking. I was at a local video store called Good Shit Video. Make if you're listening, every anyone in Milwaukee, Wisconsin area should go to a Good Shit Video.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He covered he has a lot of the boutique labels that we all know and love. He had this sitting on the shelf, So I was like, well, last time I tried getting it from Walmart, I couldn't because it was sold out. So this is my sign, then I need to buy Dogua. Nice. You guys, no please.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I'm kind of jealous because I'm really dying to see it on four K, but I don't have one yet because I ordered one from the Secret Stash to get to autographed by Jay and Silent Bob and their their run of it is not going to be in until like two and a half weeks from now, and so I'll be able to see it someday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm really excited to rewatch it because I it's been a long time since I've watched I feel like I had this paranoid feeling that something was going to happen to my DVD of it, so I never wanted to like watch it. I know that's like really a crazy thought. But now I have this new four K so I can watch as much as I want. Nice, that's awesome. It's cool that you you said you ordered your cope from the Secret Stash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were sharing it on uh on socials and they didn't have too many and I think that they did it twice and they both sold out like within a couple hours.
Speaker 2: The people that like, the people that work there are super are super nice, So I'm a big fan of the movie Vulgar, Brian Johnson's movie, and I emailed the store one time, just just saying once again, kind of got in to Hershall Gordon Lewis. It's like, is there any way I can get Brian to sign this? Yeah? And they email me back within fifteen minutes and they're like, yeah, just send us the uh, just send us the slip cover or like the card inside of it to this address. And he sent it back signed with a nice little notes. Look at that. That's awesome. Yeah, thirty bucks like Kirschwill, way better than Hersha Gordon. All right, So my next question was gonna be do you have a half priced books where you're at? Uh? We have I think two around here. Yeah, all right, I'm only asking because some of the stuff that I got next is it's from half priced books. I shockingly found Operation Condor the eighty eight films release at half priced books Region B. But I've got an all region player, so it's not a big deal. I was just surprised to see this sitting around on their shelves. Yeah, that's interesting. And then one of my hyper fixations when it comes to physical media is Burt Reynolds. He is my favorite actor. Ryan, you've heard all about my love for Burt Reynolds.
Speaker 3: And most of you should have by now because hopefully you've bought the physical Media Advocate with Burt Reynolds on the cover, where Mike had a really wonderful piece on the inside.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that. Michel, You're very welcome. So it's always my goal to it's my goal to eventually get every movie that he's ever been in. I've got a lot of the big ones, so now I'm kind of going through some of the less less popular ones. But I found some of them half price books. I didn't even know he was in these Universal Soldier two and three. Found this on DVD. All right, Mystery Alaska. That is a very common poster trope. Yes, a couple things. I just want to read what's all on the cover because it gets progressively funnier. So it starts off with a review of It's from Ted Goldenberg from Hawks TV. He calls it the Rocky of Hockey, which I just love saying. The next review is from Jason Miller of ABC TV. It's only TV people reviewing this. This is full of action, suspense and heart, And then write about the title from the director of Austin Powers.
Speaker 3: From the director of Austin Powers as wild, Gary says, make sure you have the Twilight's on collection because Bert is in an episode of that.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm I'm tracking. So there was a period of time where you could get just select episodes of Twilight Zone on DVDs. I want to get all of the Twilight Zone, but I'd like to find if they ever released his episode on a disc, so I put that in his section. That makes sense. And then the last thing I got for Burt Reynolds was The Johnson County War. It's a Hallmark Channel Western early Hallmark, like two thousand and two, so I don't think they're even a channel yet. It was written by the guy who did the Lonesome Dove series. HM. So interesting. I've got more. I can keep going if you want me to, but I just this was the first stack that I grabbed. Let's do a little sandwich action.
Speaker 3: Then I'll do mine because I don't have a ton like you, and then you can do a few more. Mine are kind of all over the place, but wanted to share a bunch coming in from Australia.
Speaker 2: These first two are not Australia.
Speaker 3: I got the second run DVD Blu Ray release of Manthon. This is an Indian film that they just put out in the UK a few months ago. Been eager for this, had this pre ordered with a couple of other things and it's finally here. Stoked on it. We are Can I show everything on here? Yes, we talked about this a couple of weeks ago. This is absolutely an adult release. This is the Ultra Flesh Archives release of wild Heart. This is the Leslie Winston collection. Everybody, if you are interested in loops or the Adult Fair, check this out. Support what they're doing over the Ultra Flesh Archives. Absolutely worth it. They have more in the works. And speaking of we'll say the Adult Fair of that, you should check out the Imprint Film's release of Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtisan and Lust for Love of a Chinese Courtison. Very eager to see these, have not seen either one. Some decent extras on the back. They've got Paul Fanner off on here talking about the first film. There is Intimate Confessions of Three Showgirls of PICTURETTE. Yeah these look these look really good. Actually, very excited about those. Look at that Dakota shouting out Ultra Flesh is so good. Love the commentary with Leslie Winston, and then a couple more from Imprint to go with the Shaw Brothers. Their four K release of Jackie Brown is in nice looking release.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: Nothing on this as far as I'm aware that is not or nothing on this that is brand new, but it does compile a lot of the stuff for Jackie Brown that I love, so stoked on that and then loved their first sets. And here is shot Shock Volume two and other Shaw Brothers release from Imprint. These boxes are giant, but I mean this has the enchanting shadow of the Bride from Hell and the Ghost Lovers on here. One of these has not got a Blu Ray release otherwise, and so check these out if you're into it.
Speaker 2: The Shaw Brothers stuff has been excellent lately. Question did those fit on a shelf? They do? Yeah, they I mean they're thick, that's the big thing. But they're they're the same width. Okay, So uh, I have the Imprint never Ending story that they did and that doesn't even fit on my shelf.
Speaker 3: You know, I showed Jackie Brown, I could show kill Billy. This think is massive, but the big thing to show the size. So you talked about refuse films. Here's their release of Franken Hooker that Liam put out. You can see same height as the box set shot Shock, but look at the with difference.
Speaker 2: Their box sets are massive, monkey box, very very chunky. I love big boxes. Can you lie about that? No? Not, that's good. I didn't want to have to call the guy, all right, what else you got? All right? So I feel like I shouldn't talk about everything because I got a lot. But I'm gonna try to cherry pick this a little bit. This one was a complete blind by. I bought Bang the Drums Slowly, the cinematograph release. I love their curation. I just love the stuff they're putting out. Haven't bought many of their releases, just because they're dropping a lot of them pretty quickly. And I don't know what about this movie appealed to me. I don't like baseball, but I love baseball movies. This is true.
Speaker 3: I love that that said when just an hour ago, I was streaming live with the shirt that said Baseball a cinema.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can help me understand Baseball.
Speaker 3: I love the director of Baseball that I was on the show with but yes.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, all right, So yeah, I got banged the drums slowly that this one. I got a little bit ago. But my good friend Matt Harding, who was the regional warrior for Severn Films, I've been emailing because I'm working a con for him. Yeah. So Matt's a good dude. I met him a couple of years ago because of a video store that I don't know if they're still selling movies, but they're called blast Ratis here in Milwaukee. They put me in contact with him. He came up to Milwaukee to do a little event with a place called the x Ray Arcade. Uh, they're cool. They're they're like a little punk venue. They have a lot of punk shows and then they also do movies. I stopped in just to Hank, just to see him, and he hooked me up with this House of Psychotic Women box set. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse on it, and I just had to have this thing. And I'm grabbing yet because I'm but I'm gonna be uh digging into this very quick, very soon. I'm hoping. All right, Oh, I got this, and I know this is the movie The you're a fan of I got this into review. I got roof Man. It's incredible. Yeah, I got that four K in as well. Yeah, my mom actually saw this. And my mom's not one to go see movies since she's never heard of but uh, my best friend his mom drags my mom to movies and they went together to go see roof Man. So I got and I got this in. I was pretty stoked for it. Ah, here's one that I'm kind of excited about. I've had my eye on this for a while and I just never pulled the trigger I'm buying it. So when I found it like in person, I knew I had to leave the store with it. I got the American Horror Project Volume once from Arrow. I absolutely love The Witch You Came from the Sea. I haven't seen the other two films on here, but more than anything, I just love listening to Stephen Thrower talk about movies. Yeah, and a lot of times I'll buy things that he's on just because he's involved. But I know like he pretty much like curated this set, so I knew I wanted to have it. Uh, who's asking? Stan is asking if Ruthman is streaming?
Speaker 3: Rufman is a Paramount film, so if it was to be on Paramount Plus probably.
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe. I think it's actually on Prime. Okay, Oh no, I was wrong. You were right Pair month plus. Some reason I thought it was Prime. They both start with P that's why. Yeah, I just went it pops up on my Apple TV and I just see the little logo in the corner. Yep.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mike says it's also free on Prime. So maybe we were Oh.
Speaker 2: There we go. And then I'm gonna talk about two more things, two more things.
Speaker 1: Next.
Speaker 2: I picked up the four K of Flow the Criterion because we we just I just got this from the library not too long ago because I wanted to see it, completely enamored with it. I don't know if you saw it. Have you seen it? Yeah, I think it's just a cute little film, and I I liked it quite a bit. And I also love that it has another film from the same director called Away On This is so And then the last thing I will highlight because I've never seen it and I'm really excited for it. I got Underheart Ah, very nice. Yeah, this one I've never seen when I'm a sucker for Val Kilmer and actually listening to you and Brian talk about Val Kilmer quite a bit last week. I was pretty excited when I got this into review because it's one that it's it's one of the films that in this filmography that I've missed. Well, that and multiple names that have sadly left this mortal coil over the last year. Graham Green for sure, perfect time to check it out. And then it's struck up with Michael Aptid, who directed my favorite music biopic of all time, The Coal Miner's Daughter. Nice. I don't know if it's within arm reach. Oh it is to sound here. I just got in the coal Miners oughter four ko. It just came out. Who put that out? The studio did? All right, I'm gonna have to get that because Coal Miner's Daughter is a movie that I have a very interesting relationship with because I don't even know what appealed why it appealed to me so heavily when it did. I remember seeing it for the first time. I was going through like just going through the channels, and I think it was playing on like HBO or Showtime or something when I was a kid, and it was rated R. So I just assumed when I was a kid, I assumed any rated R movie was going to have nudity, and at a young age, that's all you're kind of looking for. I put the movie on, and I just got so wrapped up in the story. I remember it. Why am I struggling to think of his name? Tommy Lee Jones. Wow, Tommy Lee Jones like he like swears to Loretta Lynn's dad. It's like I will never lay my hands on her. And then literally the night of their wedding, he beats her. And I just remember, being like nine years old, being like that piece of shit?
Speaker 3: Can I blow your mind a little bit? Yeah, it's rated PG. What for some reason? I'm oh, wow, Well I thought it was rated R as a kid. That's the only reason I could have thought that.
Speaker 2: I put it on.
Speaker 3: Cole Miner's Utter is a masterpiece. The music in it is beyond nostalgic for me. It was something that I heard an infinite number of times growing up.
Speaker 2: Great performance is a great movie. Check out cole Miner's Center. And I also love that Loretta Lynn kind of strong armed Sissy Space and the bean in it. Yeah, I've heard that story, Jim. That's exactly why I got it.
Speaker 3: It was eleven dollars on sale at Amazon del Yeah, for a brand new.
Speaker 2: Four K hmm, good deal. Yeah. I don't remember the story, but I think I heard it. Is it charitable? Do you remember it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So essentially what had happened was the studio was helping develop the film and Loretta Lynn was involved with it. I believe she's got a producing credit of some sort on that film. I think so. And she had seen the Sissy SpaceX and I think carry that would make sense and just thought was like, well, this is the girl that's gonna play me, and reached out to Sissy SpaceX's like I want you to do this, and Sissy SpaceX said I can't sing and I don't want to sing. So Loretta Lynn went on like uh, Johnny Carson and was like, we are making a movie about my life and Cissy SpaceX is gonna play me. And Cissy SpaceX was watching live when it happened, and I was like and just kind of well, I guess I have to play or yep, that's pretty great that that that tookes some balls. Yeah, Lauren was that kind of person. She was cool, all right.
Speaker 3: So that is it for pickups and recent watches. After announcements tonight, like I said, we're gonna be talking about our own shameless five titles that we have not seen yet that we absolutely that we do not feel shameover and we're excited to see for the first time. It definitely need to get done. But first let's talk about some announcements. Criterion was the first announcements this week and first time guest Michael gets to talk about Criteria with me.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: April seventh, we got a four K coming of Gilda from nineteen forty six. This is going to have an audio commentary by Richard Schickel. Basically, it's all the stuff that's on the old disc. Not much to say here, it's just an upgrade to the four K. Any thought on Rita Hayworth or Gilda. I like Rita Hayworth.
Speaker 2: I've not seen a lot of her films. I have that old Milk it's kind of even that old but Milk Creek put out like a Rita Hayworth collection that I've been slowly working my way through. But yeah, no, this is one that I have not had the opportunity to see yet. Neither have I. In fact, I don't. I think I've only seen maybe one maybe to Rita Hayworth. Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 3: Another one that I sadly have not seen, but now this will be the most absolutely perfect time to see this. We got a four K and blu ray upgrade of Trouble in Paradise from nineteen thirty two, the Ernst Lubich film. To make the jump to four K for a Lubich film is great. I can't remember, correct me if I'm wrong in the chat. If so, I think this is the first four K Lubich, which feels like a pretty big deal. On this one feels like a big deal. Yeah, yeah, I love the cover of this one. One that I'm gonna have to check out. Have you seen any lubig films? Another one that I have not seen. However, I do have fond memories of listening to Mark Cousins say his name in the History of Film documentary good duck Yeah, and I just love the way that he says his name.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Next up a film that no joke. So a little peak behind the curtains of how I do announcement sometimes Criterion they usually announced on the fifteenth of every month, and so I was ready on the fifteenth, which was Thursday of last week to post announcements, and I had something up on the on my screen ready to go.
Speaker 2: And what I normally do when I know.
Speaker 3: That a certain company's gonna announce, I fill in all of the information from what I can guess. I knew that they were doing April announcements, so I had the coming on April the first Tuesday, which was I think the seventh on four K from Criterion, and I always put in a fake movie, so I just have to double click at the highlight and put something else in there. The fake movie I chose last Thursday was Life of Brian. I was like, there's no way Criterion will ever release Life of Brian, and then they literally announced it the one time that I typed it in there is the fake movie, and I was like, I literally called that. That was incredible. So we are getting a four K and Blu ray release of Life of Brian. Never saw them getting the rights back to this. This had been a Criterion DVD ages ago nineteen seventy nine release from Monty Python, which is a remarkable movie. This is going to have two audio commentary. We've got a bunch of the Pythons. In there, we've got the story Brian from two thousand and seven, which is a making of doc. There is a bunch of extras from way back in the day, including some deleted scenes, original illustrated recording, all kinds of stuff, including a new essay by Bill Gabiri.
Speaker 2: Do you have a history with the life of Brian? I actually don't have much of a history with Monty Python in general. It was never any it was they were never anything my parents watched growing up, or anyone that I really knew. So like, even though I was familiar with them as I got older, I didn't really have anyone shepherding me towards their stuff. And they definitely are shameless material of something I need to see. Have you seen any of them? Holy grill? Nothing like. I've seen the Monty Python guys in things, and I've seen some of Terry Gilliam's films, but I've not seen a proper Monty Python movie.
Speaker 3: I think we should schedule a weekend, get us literally in person together and watch all of their films back to back.
Speaker 2: In not kidding, genuinely, I will refrain from watching any of them until we can plan this handshake same.
Speaker 3: I wanted to watch Holy Grail again soon. That stands amazing. We're doing this at some point and I cannot wait to talk about it. That sounds like a blast. Funny enough, I was raised a little bit on the Monty Python's Flying Circus, but in a weird way. It was because it was on PBS on Saturdays, and I don't know why it was on PPS as a child.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's also interesting too because I don't know the age of your parents, but my parents were older than all of my friend's parents. Like. My dad was born in nineteen fifty four, so like I think by the time that Monty Python was doing their things, it just was something he was interested in.
Speaker 3: My my parents were always younger than all my friend's parents, but not super different in age from yours. My dad was born in sixty five, so around ish. But to be fair, he probably should have loved Bondie Python. He was kind of the perfect age for it. My dad was just an idiot, well still as an idiot. I think he's still alive. I haven't been notified of anything.
Speaker 2: My dad liked Western so that was just kind of his bread and bunner. My dad liked alcohol. Anyways, let's go to the next one. That was a dark joke.
Speaker 3: I hope my sister's watching because she's probably laughing like crazy right now. Next April twenty first, we are getting a Blu ray and DVD release from the Criterion Premier's collection of Resurrection from twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: This is the Begone film or be Bye.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how you say his name. I think it's b Began something like that. This film is supposedly incredible. I've not had a chance to be able to see it yet.
Speaker 2: I love the Criterion is doing this.
Speaker 3: That being said, it always hurts when a film that I've heard is like ravishing beautifully when it's it's visual like splendor is displayed on screen, and I know that it's coming on Criterion premieeres because you know that that's not going to be a four K. They only do Blu ray on this line, Blu ray and DVD, So I hope somebody else gets this and really delivers the potential here. Supposedly the colors are amazing. Have you been able to see this one yet?
Speaker 2: No, but I actually just saw a trailer for it before. No other choice and I was instantly like, my wife and I both looked at each other. It's like, we got to go see this. Yeah. Plus, I just love that. I don't remember which film critic put it, but I just love that. The review they used in the trailer was it's cinema with capital C. That's that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That's that's a great, great review that I would be holding on to for a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect type of trailer too, where it's just it's it's just a vibe trail. I don't know anything about this movie. I don't know what it's. It's like watching a Nicholas Winding Refin trailer. I don't know what the fuck this movie's about, but I need to see it because it looks visually sumptuous. There there.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, which one, uh, I need to.
Speaker 2: Look up Refin.
Speaker 3: I always get the name of the title wrong, Nicholas Winding Refin. So somebody was describing Neon Demon to me and they said, it's the only movie that I love that. They have a talking speed of about thirteen words for every four minutes, and I'm somehow enthralled.
Speaker 2: Yes, honestly, I'm an I'm an easy Mark the more pretentious he gets, the better I just soak that shit up. I don't understand why understandable? Uh?
Speaker 3: Next up a big one this month. We are getting on April twenty first, a four K and Blu Ray release of point blank.
Speaker 2: Point Blank.
Speaker 3: Point Blank is the title from nineteen six sixty seven. This is the Lee Marvin joint from John Borman, a title that people adore, that has long needed a great release, And here we go, brand new four K digital restoration supervised and approved by John Borman. We've got a four K disk and a Blu Ray disc. We got an audio commentary with Borman and Steven Soderberg. Second Soderberg name dropped so far. We've got an interview with Borman conducted by the author Jeff Dyer, new interview with the critic Mark Harris, New reflections on the film by Jim Jarmusch. We've got a new program on the mid century LA architecture feature of the movie with historian's historicis and that's not a word either historian Alison Martino. And then the rock from nineteen sixty seventy short doc on Alcatraz and the making of the movie. Plus there's an interview with Martinvin from a nineteen seventy episode of The Dick Cabot Show and an essay by Dyer like this is a great, great looking.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I have to buy this. I saw this years ago. So a lot of my stories about watching movies involve my mother because she I didn't have many movie friends growing up, but I knew if it came on Turner Classic Movies, my mother would watch it with me. I saw this movie and I was like fourteen, fifteen years old. Neither of us had seen it. It came on Turner Classic Movies. I just remember it finished, and my mom was like, what did you think? And I was like, I think I loved it, and she I think I hate it. And I've not seen it since. I've just been kind of riding that high ever since. So with you know all of that, plus you're gonna throw some Soderberg and jar motion in there. Hell, yeah, I gotta pick this up.
Speaker 3: That is a big deal. Yeah, glad it is out there. So that is point blank.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 3: On April twenty eighth, we got a Blu Ray release of the Eclipse series. Next title and that is Caneo Tanaka directs a box set from nineteen fifty three to nineteen sixty two. This will include Love Letter, The Moon Has Forever a Woman, The Wandering Process, Girls of the Night, and Love under the Crucifix. The only special feature that they're listening for this is an essay by Imagen Sarah Smith, who is excellent, thankfully. But I do wish that we were getting more stuff in these box sets. But it'll be an HD release. It'll be nice to have these. I've not seen anything from coneyo Otaka. Have you seen anything from them?
Speaker 2: No? And actually I'm relatively new to the Eclipse series, but I bought the Robert Downey Senior one and loved that. So after that, I want to start kind of blindly jumping into some of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got the first one that they just did on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: Eager to see the rest that they do.
Speaker 3: I really hope they upgrade their Nakatsu Nakatu is a Crime or I think it's Nikatu Noir that they called their old Eclipse DVD set. We were talking about that in the discord this week. I definitely want that one upgraded for sure.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Yeah, And I just it's it's it's a I think it's I don't know what the mantra behind the Eclipse series is, but I can kind of put it together that you know, maybe it's films that they don't have enough stuff that they can necessarily do standalone versions with or you know, big box sets, but they're important films that they it's kind of they just I don't want to say lump together because that sounds bad, but there's you know, there's a thematic or reason for them to be together or more you know, some they are all the same director or something like that. I just I I think it's a. It's it's great because it's still getting the Criterion treatment in terms of restoration work, even if it doesn't have the special features. And I'm glad to see that these are This is a Blu ray because I know my Robert Donnie Senior one is a DVD. But that being said, as an a v NERD like we haven't even touched on my obsession with audio vision and stuff, Criterion DVDs still look really fucking good.
Speaker 3: For a DVD. They truly do. I'm still amazed, especially mostly boutiques that have been doing DVDs for a long Time released some really great DVDs like Modo Macabro DVD. Some of those still look remarkable. I always laughed though putting in a studio DVD, like we went to show the kids Honey Shrunk the Kids on DVD and literally had to stop because.
Speaker 2: It looked like absolute dog shit. Yes, but yet, like my I have my Darling Clementine on DVD from Criterion, and it's better than some of the Mill Creek Blu rays that I have. I mean, low bar but true. Yeah, yeah, I just do want.
Speaker 3: To throw out a title understandable.
Speaker 2: Let's go to our next one.
Speaker 3: This is a big deal too, April twenty eighth getting a four K and Blu ray box set separated, not a dual format box set. They're doing a four K box and a Blu ray box of John Singleton's Hood trilogy. This is going to include Boys in the Hood, Poetic Justice, and Baby Boy from ninety one, ninety three and two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a must buy for me, just plain and simple as somebody that grew up in southern California was raised on a couple of these movies.
Speaker 2: Absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: We are going to get audio commentaries and all three films with Singleton. New conversation between Ryan Kogler and Regina King. That's another thing I want to see immediately. You documentary on Singleton, Singleton's filmmaking process with some other people that were involved in his films. New audio interviews with Trogi p Henson and Tyreese Gibson, Great some deleted scenes, archival extras, and then an essay by Julian Kimball.
Speaker 2: Any thoughts on John Singleton. I've only seen Boys in the Hood, but it's a movie that really stuck with me. Another movie that my mother showed made a very young age, and I feel like I am the person I am because I saw something like that at a young age and it really stuck with me. Definitely need to pick this up.
Speaker 3: Yep, this is this is the first sale. After this goes on sale, it will be in my hands. More breaking Criterion news from last week is that Variety share that they're gonna be releasing three Neon films from this year on disc from Criterion over this next year. We are getting Jeffarpinahi's It Was Just an Accident, Jokim Treer's Sentimental Value, and then Kleiber Mondoka Philho's The Secret Agents.
Speaker 2: No news on.
Speaker 3: Four K slash Blu Ray whatever is coming on those or exact release dates. But how many of those three films have you seen? What do you think of them?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any of them, but I really wanted to see The Secret Agent and Sentimental Value, the first one I have not heard of, but I've heard of the filmmaker, so I definitely want to check out all these. I will be getting all three of these. I have not seen.
Speaker 3: It was just an accident yet, but everybody I trust loves that movie. I love Sentimental Value, and I really have liked Secret Agent. I like how it was made more than the actual film itself, and there's some things that are breathtaking and Secret Agent. I think the opening for Secret Agent alone is going to stick with me for a long time. Just a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful scene. The way they crafted it so good. And he's an incredible actor, so glad he was nominated today.
Speaker 2: All right. Other than that, let's talk about third party retailers because I clicked twice. Let's go back to this.
Speaker 3: Diabolic DVD has announced that they've updated a couple things. One Finally, for the love of God, they are offering a version of free shipping, and all you have to do is order three things on Diabolic DVD and they are going to give you a six dollars credit when.
Speaker 2: You're checking out.
Speaker 3: Now, this is interesting because it's not it is free shipping, but it's not free shipping because it's not going to be listed as free shipping, but it will cover your price of shipping. But they also want it to work for international buyers, so if you buy at least three things internationally, you will get a six dollars credit off of the total cost of your order. And obviously they can give you free shipping if you were going internationally, because it's gonna be like thirty bucks. But now you'll save six dollars, which is pretty cool. And then they're also doing a loyalty program. This is all live now, so on top of that, you will be able to get a point earned for every dollar that you spend, and once you've accumulated three hundred dollars of purchasing, you will receive a twenty dollars coupon good towards anything on the site. They're working on some other perks with this software that they hope to roll out in the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: But that is pretty damn cool. Do you shot from Diabolic? I do? I do. They're usually one of the first places I look for, especially if something is slowly dwindling in numbers, I will check them. I usually like their prices quite a bit. I question though, if this salt quote unquote free but not really free shipping. So you said that you buy three things. I assume it's like a bundle, like you buy three titles or three things from their website. And then you said they give you a coupon. Yes, can you bank those coupons? Can I just say, choose to pay for my shipping? No, arn, because that'd be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they will just give you six dollars off of that purchase. Specifically, it will be listed at checkout and then I guess the other thing to point out here is specifically it is three regularly priced items. So if they're having a sale and you get three items in a sale, you will not get free shipping, which is rough.
Speaker 2: I guess I get it all right. Let's head to Australia with Imprint.
Speaker 3: We talked about this film a few months ago March twenty fifth, We're getting a Blu ray release from Imprint of Up the Junction from nineteen sixty eight. This is the Susie Kendall film. This is gonna have a brand new audio commentary by Justphine Botting and Melanie Williams, new interview with the assistant director Michael Dryhurst.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this movie? No, I've never even heard of this movie.
Speaker 3: I had not the first time that we announced this a few months ago from screen Bound, But I'm dying to hear this. Everybody that was from the UK, so this was a big one for them. I'm very curious to check this one out. Looks pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a so you remember when we're kids and we're always told don't judge a book by its cover type. I am. I need something to go off of, and a compelling or interesting poster goes a long way for me. I don't know anything about these movies I would buy. I would pick up these movies blindly just because I like the way it's being sold to me. I like looking at it right, understandable, completely understandable. Uh, let's raw and Randy, it's a great tagle and let's be honest it really is. It's no, it's not as good as it's the rock It's the Rocky of Hockey, but it's pretty good. I would love to see It's the Rocky of Hockey on the cover. Up the Junction. Yeah, next up, same.
Speaker 3: Date, March twenty fifth, a Blu ray of Another Time, Another Place from nineteen fifty eight. I just want to point out that on Facebook I posted this announcement. Somebody saw this cover and said in the comments, why does that look like Sean Connery?
Speaker 2: I wonder why.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to say, do you know how to read? Because it literally points out that it is Sean Connery. This has a new audio commentary by Leef Pfiffer, Tony Latino and Paul Scrabo. Imprint putting out a Sean Connery film, Early Sean Connery.
Speaker 2: This looks like a fun release. It's the first time ever on Blu Ray, which is exactly what I love to see coming. M hm, Yeah, this one I'm not familiar with, but I do really like young Sean Connery.
Speaker 3: Up the Junction, according to Vinnie, has a great soundtrack late sixties mod music, which, yeah, that's exactly one of the reasons I need to see it.
Speaker 2: Next up another one that I've been meaning to check.
Speaker 3: This had another Blu Ray release here in the US a while ago, March twenty fifth, a Blu ray of three into two Won't Go From nineteen sixty nine. This is Steve Howard, a middle aged British sales executive trapped in an unhappy marriage, has an impulsive affair with the young hitchhiker named Ella, But when Steve arrives home, he discovers Ella has introduced herself to Steve's wife, Francis, and moved in with all his secrets under one roof. Steve must keep his relationship with Ella hidden at all costs.
Speaker 2: This has Rod Steiger in it.
Speaker 3: We got Claire Bloom and then Judy Geeson also in this. This is gonna have an audio commentary that's brand new from Matthew Matthew Aspery Gear and then a new interview with the actress Lynn Farley, and then the trailers from Hell portion will be on here as well.
Speaker 2: No idea about this movie. Never seen it. I definitely need to. No. I'm familiar with the cast, but that's it. And I have to say I like that some of the I like when releases put those trailers from Hell like trailer commentaries on their stuff. Agreed, Agreed, Steiger and Bloom were married at that time. Since Terry in the chat, Thanks Terry, I guess the chemistry must be pretty decent in this movie. Then wouldn't be funny if it was terrible like they think whatsoever? Like the plot of the movie, it's actually the chemistry between him and the other woman.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's all steamy. So same day from Imprint again, Hot Enough for June from nineteen sixty four, this one with Dirk Boguard. This will have a new audio commentary by Matthew Asprey Gear as well. They're working on some more new special features, but they have not.
Speaker 2: Been announced yet. Once again, not my era of film, so I don't know much of it about. This is sort of a blind spot. I like a lot of the sixties comedies I've I've seen a movie called Cactus Flower is one of my is one of my favorites. But yeah, this is not an era that I know super I know a lot about, but I enjoy it. I enjoyed everything I've seen from it, so I'm usually good to blind buy stuff from this time period. Nice.
Speaker 3: Next up is Some Girls Do from nineteen sixty nine. This is from Ralph Thomas, the director. This is a cult comedy spy film. You get a new audio commentary with Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw. New Leafi for speaking on Richard Johnson, the Man who Is Almost Bond. There is a new segment with Tony Latino, the film historian on the spy craze of the sixties. We've got a new interview with Paul Scrabo, and then even more new special features that they're working on right now. This is a sequel to Deadlier than the Male. This is supposed to be really great. I need to see this. Love that they're putting this out. Yeah, pretty good slate from Imprint.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love spy films and I love spy spoofs. Agreed. There last one from Imprint in this batch is Morock seven, coming on the same day.
Speaker 3: This is from nineteen sixty seven. This is is going to be with Geene Barry, Elizabeth Martinelli, Leslie Phillips, and Alexander Stewart. This will have a new audio commentary by Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw. Again, a new interview with the producer John Gail, and even more new special features. It is wild that they're putting so much on these small, sort of like underseen films that normally they would just put out maybe a commentary and that's it. But yeah, they're they're actually putting some money into these, which I love to see, and I appreciate it because, honestly, like for some of these films, I would be fine just getting the film.
Speaker 2: I I I love getting supplemental materials, but for some of these movies, just being able to see them is enough. Yeah, but I do appreciate when they can put something together, even if it's even if it's something small just for some contextual information. Agreed, Absolutely agreed.
Speaker 3: Some of my favorite things about these Let to go to a movie that came out last year that I did not get a chance to see that I'm dying to see. That is coming from Magnolia of the film Man Finds Tape. This is coming on February twenty fourth on Blu Ray. This is a found footage movie that's supposed to be genuinely creepy, and I love found footage.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about found footage? I ultimately like it. I wouldn't say, I like, I haven't liked every found footage movie, but no one has. It's a genre that I find endlessly fascinating, and especially if they can find a conceit in which I'm not questioning why they're continuing the film. Yeah. Also one thing that I also love when they lean into the fact that it is a movie. I will never forget that. In George ra Merrill's Diary of the Dead, there's actually a scene of them editing the footage together and I was like, I don't, I don't know why would have a weird we appreciate seeing this.
Speaker 3: I will say found footage is probably the genre with some of for me, some of the highest highs, but also some of the lowest lows possible. Favorite found footage my God, or just a strong.
Speaker 2: One that comes off the top of your head Cloverfield, That is a great that one. I when that. I think I got like a paramount steel book for that a couple of years ago, and I had rediscovered that film and it's it just holds up so well as above so below legitimately scared this ship out do it? Yes, so much like and to the point that like I almost I haven't wanted to rewatch it because I want to live in the memories that I have of how good that film was.
Speaker 3: Right one with the similar sort of vibe because it's more focused on horror than creature feature aspect of Cloverfield The Last Exorcism. I love that movie, and then the last ninety seconds happened, and that ruins so much of that movie, but the rest of it is.
Speaker 2: Very, very good, Brad.
Speaker 3: Next up is from Well Go USA from March thirty. First, you can be able to get a blu ray of the Takashi Mike film Blazing Fists. This say is from Takashi miik comes, the story of Ikuto and Riyoma, troubled teens who meet in juvenile detention and plan to fight their way to freedom. Inspired by mm MMA fighter and Breaking Down founder Mikuro Asakura, the two boys set their sights on competing in Asaku's popular tournament. After the release, they discovered they must defeat their past, yeah, their pasts outside the ring before they can become champions inside it.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Takashi Mike. I like Takashi mi k quite a bit, and I just I'm always impressed by how many films he makes. Earlier in this broadcast, I talked about going to the can Film Festival. Yeah, rented a tuxedo because I had a connection that got me into a red carpet screening, so I had to have a tuxedo for that. The red carpet screen I got to go to was a Takeisha Mek film that I don't know if it ever got a physical media release here in the United States. It's called Shields of Straw. I don't think so. It was Mikay kind of doing It was Mikay doing a Japanese cop film, but it was using American cop film tropes. It was really a wild movie. But I got to watch that movie with me Kay in the audience. No no disc release in the US.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I feel like I need to see that pretty gay.
Speaker 2: And so that's that's always a little laurel that I can put in my cap that I got to see a Meek film that you can't really find that nobody has seen. Wanted to shout out.
Speaker 3: We got some other fan footage recommendations in the chat rec phenomenal pick love that movie.
Speaker 2: Man Bites Dog. Have you seen Man Bytes Dog? Yes? I saw that back when, back when I f C was cool. Uh, they used to show things like Man Bites Dog Unedited on cable and that's when I first saw it interesting. Man Bites on cable is Yeah, now they just show reruns. If it's always sunny in the Philadelphia all day, I.
Speaker 3: Mean also wild and also very fun. Yeah. I need to see this, I I I love me kay. Uh, definitely want to check this one out.
Speaker 2: I'm a sucker for movies that involve tournaments. Okay, have you have you seen stiff competition? No? But should I let me? Let me go? You have to go this. You have to go to the mill you scene site.
Speaker 3: It's a vinegar syndrome at about blow jobs stiff competition? Uh, but such a random Anyways, we probably don't need to discuss stiff competition.
Speaker 2: What's let's talk about more stiff competition. I can bring that up.
Speaker 3: Uh, we'll bring it up in anab Hey, Dracula, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Dracula. March thirtieth, Universal is putting out this beautiful Dracula Legacy Collector's Edition over in the UK. This is going to cover all of the Dracula films on four K from nineteen thirty one to nineteen forty eight. They had done all of these in the US last Fall, but now you can get this in the UK in an even fancier set if you're into it.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Dracula. I love Gothic horror. I love Universal Monsters. That's not my favorite Dracula film, but I still love watching these. They are perennials for the Fall. Always been a big Frankenstein guy, but I'm never going to say no to watching Bella Lagozi.
Speaker 3: Is your favorite Dracula film from the nineties, probably Bram Stokers. Yes, I'm glad that we are on the same page there.
Speaker 2: Copple is my guy, even when he fails. I just I I just find that man endlessly fascinating. It's a great movie.
Speaker 3: Stylish as hell, Chris says always Suddeny has no complete series released on physical media, which sucks. It's not done yet. How could there be a complete series on physical media? They're still like setting the record every year for longest running narrative television show. I think is the current record? I think so it's.
Speaker 2: How many seasons. I feel like I watched the first like four and then I think we're up to like seventeen seventeen or eighteen insane and that's coming. Well, I can't say anything. I'm a Simpsons fan. I can't say anything that's true.
Speaker 3: Simpsons is about to hit thirty right or already hit three.
Speaker 2: I think they're on thirty two. Jesus, I lost count. I guess I watch it every Sunday. I don't pay attention to what season we're on. I just know it's on. It's almost like a warm blank. It's true.
Speaker 3: It is next up coming soon on four k We don't have released it yet, but Keeno label Keino Laber will be putting out Bulletproof from nineteen ninety six, the Adam Sandler and Damon Waym's film Bulletproof. Any thoughts on Bulletproof.
Speaker 2: I've actually never seen this, but I feel like I distinctly remember this poster in every video store I ever went to. That's because it was in every single video store. So yeah, that's accurate. Yeah. So is this a comedy? Is an action film? Is it both? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a pretty interesting mix of both. Kira is saying that Simpson's is on season thirty seven. Is that accurate. That is insanity. So they're about to be on forty in a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Jesus, I'm googling it. I'm sure. I'm sure whoever that person was is Oh yeah, they are absolutely correct.
Speaker 3: South Park is on his twenty eighth season. Geez, who man, I met a loss for words? Yeah, same on all of those things. Stan says, happy to report I've never seen an episode of Always Sunny. Why are you happy? The show is literally brilliant. It is amazing. Anyways, I won't belabor that point. Let's keep going. Coming soon on Blu Ray from Keno is manon seventy aka French Mistress from nineteen sixty eight, starring Catherine Daneuve. Not a movie I'm familiar with anything on this one.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I like Canton, I like Kathin Daneuve. Yeah, I think I've only seen her in a couple of things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, hey, and I love that Keino is fined and shit to put out. That's true, that's true. Coming soon.
Speaker 3: That's the wrong word, because it's coming on March thirty first, even though that is soon. Blu Ray set of Malfeasance four films by Ives Bosset from nineteen seven. Excuse me, seventy one to eighty two. This is supposedly great. This is gonna be the Cop? Is that the title?
Speaker 2: I need to be able to zoom in and I can't see it. There's Mad Enough to Kill, Angels, Leap and The Woman Cop and the last one is Rise Up Spy.
Speaker 3: The first three films all newly restored in four K. Rise Up Spy is a two K restoration. We've got new commentaries on this one, including Max Allan Collins, Heath Holland. We've got Alexander Heller, Nicholas and Howardsberger, Nathaniel Thompson. Supposedly these are incredible. Anybody in the chat seeing these? I'd love to hear some more about these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they look interesting.
Speaker 3: Somebody was calling this one of their most anticipated releases, which is always exciting. Next up, we are getting a four K steel book of nineteen ninety six's Sleepers, a film that I have seen advertised many many times. I've still never been able to see. This is supposed to be pretty great. We've got some big, big names in this one. Have you seen Sleepers? I could lie, but now I have not seen it.
Speaker 2: So big names.
Speaker 3: Robert de Niro, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, Jason Patrick, all directed by Barry Levinson. This is supposed to be incredible. Definitely need to see Sleepers, And don't worry, this four K steel book is not a final piece of art. They are obviously going to put art there entirely. Yeah, I've heard this is good. Colton says, it's a time capsule. Aaron says, pretty good, not great.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, no, Colton says it is dot dot dot a time capsule, which changes the I feel.
Speaker 3: Like the connotation for sure. Yeah, yes, I did bury the lead there a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: Sorry to all the podcast listeners. Hey, let's talk about two films that I've seen recently and loved. In late February or early March, we are getting two titles from Deaf Crocodile that I am stoked to be able to see finally coming out. We are getting a four K Blu Ray dual format release of Song of the Miranculous Hind from two thousand and two. This is a wild film. I don't even know how to begin to explain this. So let's see what Dennis has listed here. He says This is from from Marcel Yankovic and this is or Marcel Jenkovic. I don't remember how you say it. I'm sorry, Dennis and Craig. Craig, who's in the chat?
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 3: This is the follow up to Son of the White Mayor, which you all may have seen if you got that from the previous release of that from Arblos or from Eureka. This was made during the production on the Tragedy of Man. This is the ambitious attempt to depict thousands of years of Hungarian culture in myth in one film, based in part on early Siberian and Finno Ugric legends and incorporating sit the Iranian, Turkic and our artistic influence is all mixed up into one. It's divided into four sections. The animation in this is absolutely beautiful. Cannot wait for people to be able to see this. This is the first ever four K release of this. There is gonna be a new interview with the composer Levente Sierenev. There is going to be the animator as part of that interview as well. The interview is incredible. I think that people are gonna love that, especially because the composer was in a pretty big band at the time, and of course Dennis Bartak had a record on hand from him loving the band Illish from the sixties. And the fact that you can hold that up and see the guy's face light up.
Speaker 2: It's a good interview. Check it out.
Speaker 3: New commentary on this by Adam Ratkoff, James Hancock, and Martin Kessler. Of course, the deluxe edition has a booklet with Jenny Barker and Walt Chaw riding in it.
Speaker 2: This movie is legendary. You need to see this.
Speaker 3: There was a clip that was posted recently on the Deaf Crocodile social media. If you are into animation at all, you will fully love this movie.
Speaker 2: Please check it out. Well, I think, I mean you had a conversation recently and how I admitted that I have not seen any Death Crocodile releases. I'm gonna have to pick this up. This looks fascinating. It is amazing.
Speaker 3: I love that this director went from making his film The Tragedy Man, that was going to cover all of humanity and everything outside of humanity in one film, to take a small break to make this movie that is only covering fifty thousand years of civilization.
Speaker 2: Man, he's how lazy only fifty thousand years. It is hilarious and yeah, it's just a wild setup.
Speaker 3: I think people need to see this. It's incredible. And I will give the full list of recommendations for stuff that I think you would love soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, you gave me a a partial list, right, that was like the intro pack, Yes, like well, the intro pack was still like eleven log or something. It was, it was, and I am excited to once I have a little extra cash to be able to get my first Death Crocodile release.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're up for another one and love Bill Plimpton. We are also getting a Blu ray release of Hair High from two thousand and four. This is one of Bill Plimpton's greats in my opinion, So glad that Deaf Crocodile got a chance at this one. This is essentially a horny high school movie with one of the biggest casts in anything that Bill Plimpton has ever done. In this movie, we've got Sarah Silverman, Dermott mulroney, Beverily DiAngelo, David and Keith Carradine, Ed Begley, Junior, Martha Plimpton, We've got Justin Long. There's major, major names in this movie. It is hilarious. We've got multiple short films on this, including horn Dog, which is great. There's a new interview with mister Bill Plimpton himself. Of course, Marine Mechelron is in that interview as well. New visual essay by the one and only Celeste Lecabra, friend of the show. She did an essay called Horny High, sex Identity and animated anarchy and hair High and you will love it. It is a great one. Thanks for that, Cubrick, appreciate you. This also is going to come with the new commentary by the same people we just mentioned on that last release. We've got James Hancock, Martin Kessler, and Adam Ratcoff on that one. One thing that's cool about this the deaf crocodile guys aren't always able to get this, but they were able to get everything from the DVD release are mostly everything at least that's also gonna be on the Blu ray. So lots of archival extras, slipcase with new riding by Walt Shaw. And there's another wow. I just saw that this completely cut off my announcement. That's good to know there was other stuff here. Walt chaw On another essays in this sorry Craig. Yeah, Bill Plimpton, have you checked out anything from Bill Plimpton?
Speaker 2: Ever? Surprisingly no, except for Bill Plimpton going back to The Simpsons did some of the most interesting couch day eggs. There is one that I will always remember and I send it to everyone where it is a love story of Homer and the couch and he impregnates the couch. I don't know if I've seen that one. I will send it to you. Ever since then, I've been kind of obsessed with his work. I have not been able to find any of his stuff. So I while we've been sitting here talking, just added this to my car. Amazing, amazing, amazing. It's it's a good movie. Everybody needs to see it. It is. It's so great. Not much else to say.
Speaker 3: I love Bill Plumpton, and I'd honored that I've been able to have him on the show.
Speaker 2: He's just incredible.
Speaker 3: Next up, February twenty fourth, Well go USA putting out rescue at dong Gy from twenty twenty five, and it says when the Japanese troop ship Lisbon Maru is torpedoed off the coast of dong Gy Island.
Speaker 2: The lives of over three hundred British soldiers on board are threatened. Their only hope is a small group of defiant fishermen who will do anything to save them. The trailer for this actually looks pretty pretty good. I'm curious to check this one out. I have not even heard of this one.
Speaker 3: Well, go USA does that a lot. They seem to grab some films that not many people have heard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this looks good. I'm very, very curious about this. I believe this is a mainland Chida film, which we don't get a lot of those on physical release here in the US. Yeah, I'm I'm intrigued by it. I may be wrong on the main mainland China thing, but I believe I've read that about that. If I'm wrong, I apologize. In advance.
Speaker 3: Little known indie filmmaker named Christopher Nolan is putting out a couple of his films on disc again. March twenty third, We're getting a four K steal Book only over in the UK of the Prestige. We are also getting on that exact same day a four K Steel book of Dunkirk, good looking steals on one of these two is my favorite Christopher Nolan movie.
Speaker 2: Ever, how do you feel about Nolan? Mixed? I he's a filmmaker. I enjoy watching I but his films, don't know, I feel like the more more recently his films aren't really sticking with me the same way. Yeah, I love the Prestige. That is one that my wife actually showed me. But you know, we just recently watched Oppenheimer and I hate it, so, you know, mixed bag yep.
Speaker 3: I would understand that Terry says he hated the sound design and Dunkirk pissed me off.
Speaker 2: I feel like there were a couple.
Speaker 3: Scenes that were really great for the sound in Dunkirk, But I agree Christopher nol And has never been great with sound.
Speaker 2: No, and he's he kind of digs his heels in a in a very weird way where weird in I still remember when he was making his third Batman film, studio executives complained that Bain was unintelligible, so he went the complete opposite direction and turned up his vocals so high that it felt like it was peeking through the entire film. Yeah. Uh, but he's always had a problem. I've always had a problem with his mixes when it comes to dialogue, and I've got a pretty decent home theater setup that I've put a lot of time and effort into manually calibrating, and it's still tough.
Speaker 3: That's that's rough. I Yeah, I understand completely. Like obviously, Tenet has been complained about endlessly, so I won't say much, but it's wild.
Speaker 2: The mixing on some of these films come on like, we can do better than that. Ridiculous. Yeah, And he's also really has dug his heels into where he will. He's pretty much sticking with five point one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which sucks because he seems to be wanting to push the envelope on some technological things. But we can do way better with audio, so let us I don't know. March tenth, we are getting from Universal a Blu Ray release of Resident Alien the Complete series and also Resident Alien Season four. That way, if you've got the first three, you can just pick up the fourth one. I have not seen even a single moment of the show, but I've heard that it's incredible. I love allent two Dick, and the story here sounds very fun.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this? No, I've I feel like I've seen some clips. I didn't realize they had four seasons. Four seasons and a good, strong ending. Supposedly.
Speaker 3: It supposedly does not end on a cliffhanger because they planned on being done all right. Next up, Imprint another TV venture. March twenty fifth, they're putting out a TV Movie of the Week collection number four. This is going to have to Kill a Cop from nineteen seventy eight, Cocaine and Blue Eyes from nineteen eighty three, a Killing Affair from nineteen seventy seven, which is only an SD and either way, oh, I totally forgot gloss over the first one. Contract on Cherry Street is the third one there. A couple of these are first time on Blu Ray. Contract on Cherry Street is to Kill a Cop is the first time on Blu Ray, and actually Cocaine and Blue Eyes also first time on Blu Ray. There's a bonus film on that last one, like I said, but that's it. No extras on these. How do you feel about TV films?
Speaker 2: I like TV films. I'm glad a lot of them are getting releases now because they were kind of notoriously hard to find for the longest time, long time. Like currently I'm working through the Dan Curtis TV Mysteries box set from Keno. Nice. Just love that these are available, and yeah, I yeah, they go wow, I'm struggling to talk. I'm curious to see if what the surviving elements of this are going to be, if they were saved on if they were saved on tape or if Yeah, well, I'm just curious to see how they look from seventy seven to seventy eight eighty three. I would imagine many of them were still film elements, especially the first two. Hmm, not sure, not sure.
Speaker 3: Brian, who works sound out of New York said the sound mixer who recorded Bane for Dark Knight Rises was fired after that.
Speaker 2: Studio note, damn. Good to know. Well, thank you for the interest in fact I can now add to my story.
Speaker 3: Next up, also from Imprint, they are putting out the New Avengers, the Complete Series. This is the same show that just got a four K release in the UK from I believe studio canal all of the same extras as far as I can tell, I don't think there's anything new that is on this compared to that one, and this is only Blu Ray compared to that four K. It's not gonna get another four K release. They would lose money if they were to put this out on four K. So absolutely an okay choice. But there's a lot of people that love British TV and they will likely buy this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not FAMI with the New Avengers, but I have seen a handful of The Avengers. A friend of a friend of mine they grew up watching The Avengers, so I've seen some of the episodes with them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I when Imprint put out the first series of The Avengers, I saw those for the first time and genuinely really well made fun show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good time, all right, going to our next one.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I was getting all kinds of notifications in my pocket because of Amber Alerts.
Speaker 2: Good to know. Let me just put that away.
Speaker 3: Mark thirty First, there is a Blu Ray coming from Alliance themselves and the Horror Section, which is the Eli Roth owned production company of Dream Eater, which came out last year. This is going to be their first release of this type. It is coming with a slipcover. It is going to have some extras on here with a director's commentary behind the scenes featurette with Eli Roth, behind the scenes photo gallery, some trailers, and then it will also have alternate packaging with a rap on the inside with filmmaker approved art and a folded mini poster in here.
Speaker 2: Did you happen to see Dream Eater last year? No? I didn't even hear it this one.
Speaker 3: Amazingly, not only did I hear about it, I saw this in a theater last year and really hated this movie all right, Speaking of found footage, that is bad. I hated this found footage movie because of exactly what you and I said.
Speaker 2: The conceit made zero sense whatsoever. Check it out.
Speaker 3: If anybody else saw this and liked it, please let me know. But I I did not like this movie in any way. The concept makes no sense, the acting is pretty bad. The story I could have liked if it was done a little bit differently, but my goodness, did.
Speaker 2: Not like it.
Speaker 3: Next up, another one that I wanted to see over this last year, Hallow Road is coming on Blu Ray on March thirty first, from Decal and x y Z together. This one is with Rosamond Pike and Matthew Reese.
Speaker 2: Not seeing this one any thoughts on either of them. No, I like the actors just haven't seen it, haven't heard of it. I do not like this poster.
Speaker 3: I feel like we've gotten this exact poster seventy three times the last three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a poster.
Speaker 3: Just leaning into the absolute trope of every single indie film has too many drone shots nowadays.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely true. Next up, let's go back to Australia and talk about Umbrella. Are you somebody that has anything from Umbrella? H yes, I don't have much. I'm trying to think of what I do have, asking the tough question. Sorry, no, no, no, it's fine. I think I have their Oh God, give me one second, I have to check. I know I have at least one title. There's okay, Yeah, I have the Pusher trilogy that they put out. Nice, nice, and I just got in. I have one other title as well. I just can't think of which one. It was, God coldon, thank you.
Speaker 3: I hate the drone shots and so many of those indie films so much. Yes, Terry has many, many, many films from Umbrella. So does Kiray Umm wait and fight great release. Absolutely. I just got in literally today the release of Lake Mongo here is this box, have not even been able to open it yet. Very curious to see the documentary that came with this, because I love that movie.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about some umbrella.
Speaker 3: May six, they're putting out a four K Blu ray dual format release of Matador from nineteen eighty six. This is the Pedro Amadovar film that was just recently announced on four K over in the UK from Radiance as well, so we've got a competing release here. We've got different extras on this, so if you love Alma Dovar, you might actually want both. We got a commentary from the Wives Colangelo. We've got b Jane Harmony Colangelo there, Stephen Thrower speaking on Almadovar and the horror film. We've got new actor Asumpta Serna interviewed by Enter Focus on this one, and then a new featurette called Dangerous Passions. LGBTIQ plus filmmakers reflect on Matador.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Alma Dovar. I've only seen a couple of his films. This one I've not seen, so this one intrigues me. I might need to pick this up. And also I remembered it was super Mario Brothers is the other one, and that is a big one to remember. I get it, but no, this looks interesting. And I also like that the Klanjols are on here. They are some of my favorite people talking about film and film culture right now.
Speaker 3: So bj is very fun to follow on Instagram and I think she's on TikTok because she reposted the same videos there. Great great film criticism and very snarky in the best of ways.
Speaker 2: I also love her podcast that they do Yes descends it prom Yes Yes.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of shocked I remember the exact title because my brain is mush right now. Let's carry on to the next umbrella. Really did I just skip one accidentally? I?
Speaker 2: Oh, it looked like it.
Speaker 3: So the next one is a very weird or would you say out there box set? This is coming on May sixth, the Blu ray only on this and it's called out There by Towa and I'm saying it's out there because these are covering films from nineteen seventy eight, one movie from nineteen seventy eight and then two thousand and six and two thousand and seven, all produced by Toe.
Speaker 2: But a very interesting setup. Box set.
Speaker 3: We've got a Message from Space from seventy eight. We've got Yo Yo Girl Cop from two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Six, Yo Yeah Girl Cop, YEP.
Speaker 3: Hair Extensions from two thousand and seven, and then X Cross from two thousand and seven as well. I feel like you need to see Yoyo Girl Cop immediately.
Speaker 2: With a title like that, how can I go wrong? Yes, I need this box set. It looks like a great release.
Speaker 3: We've got brand new interviews with Kenta Fukusaku, We've got commentaries from Sam Deagan on multiple films here. We've got Patrick Massias, who's usually pretty great on these. Yeah, I need to check this out. This is such an interesting release. And yes, I had the exact same thought, Craig. Message from Space is coming out. And what's funny is Message from Space is a film that was literally stolen into a Mexican animated film from decades ago called Roy de la Spasio or Roy from Space, and they took a scene from a Message from Space and put it in the film completely, just ripped it and threw it in there with no permission whatsoever. And now def Crocodile had to go in and commission people to animate a new scene over.
Speaker 2: That part of the movie.
Speaker 3: Whoa brand new hand drawn animation for the film.
Speaker 2: That's nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, love that they're doing that, and that's why I support def Crocodile with everything. Next up from Umbrella May six, a blu ray coming of Uzumaki aka Spiral from two thousand. This is the same film that was released here in the US already by Discothech, so if you have that, you may not need to get this one. But it does have some new extra So if you love this movie or you love Amberte, you should check it out because Amberte's got a new commentary on this, a brand new commentary by Elijah Thomas here, as well a bunch of interviews that are coming on this film. We've got a lot of cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Uzumaki? I can't say that I have. I feel like that's been the trend of this episode.
Speaker 3: It's the trend of every episode and that's why we're all here discovering it together. Do you know who jungji Eto is? Yes, this is based on Uzumaki Spiral from jungji Eto and it's the first live action version of that story.
Speaker 2: Well then I am. I'm pretty sold off of that. Then, now, what's interesting.
Speaker 3: If I remember the story right, I believe this was actually made while he was still finishing that maga, and so the ending here is very different than what you see in uh in the actual manga Huzubaki.
Speaker 2: I always find it fascinating when that when something like that happens, where an adaptation comes before something's finished. I feel like a big example of that was the first kick Ass film. He didn't he wasn't done with the series. So Matthew Vaughn just made an ending good movie. Though I like the kick Yeah, yeah, I don't remember the second one, but yeah, so this sounds interesting to me, and I'll have to keep an eye on on this one.
Speaker 3: Gary says, I think I'm gonna read the maga because the Netflix series and this do not look great. The Netflix series is supposedly real bad. This is at least fun. I've got the Discothech release, so I don't need this one. But this movie is at least a compelling watch, I will say. Going to our next announcement, this is the last one from Umbrella, a brand new film from last year called Diabolic with a C not a K. This is one of their smaller films that they tend to do this every few months, although they've dropped it off the last couple announcements slates. So it's nice to see one of these comeback where it's a modern cult title. This as seventeen year old Alease undergoes a Baptism for the Dead ritual with the FLDS, a Mormon offshoot where young women are baptized on behalf of the deceased. I really want to see this. Just the setup for that film sound compelling to me, especially with my background. Multiple audio commentaries on this, three of them to be exact. There's also a new promotional featurette. Yeah, what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Another film that I've not heard of, but it looks interesting, I agree.
Speaker 3: Two more Hammer titles coming from Studio Canal. On April six, We're getting a four K Blu Ray dual format release of Blood from the Mummy's Tomb from nineteen seventy one. Is a brand new four K restoration with new artwork by Johnny Dombrowski. There is a sixty four page booklet with new essays and the original press war pages sixty four pages wow. Two posters, one of them is the new artwork. One of them is the original theatrical artwork. We've also got some new on disc extras, including valeries Leon Inside of the Mummy's Tomb. We've got That's wrap, Kim Newman exploring Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, and all kinds of archival extras.
Speaker 2: Hammer. Are you into any of the Hammer films? I do. I am in the Hammer. I have not seen a huge selection of their stuff, but I do like a lot of what I've seen. I just like how operatic a lot of their their films are. I just recently reviewed the Warner Archive release of Churse Frankenstein, and I enjoyed that one quite a bit. I'm an agreement of Terry Talks Movies here that this is given Venture Brothers very much. So, I actually, I actually really like this art. I didn't like it. It's just I thought at first I thought it was I truly thought it was a Venture Brothers thing that I just didn't know about. But for sixty four page book, what that's tempty? It?
Speaker 3: It looks pretty great and it's it's it's a little price. It's fifty bucks us U.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I pay that for you know, vinegarstation titles. So that's you.
Speaker 3: You absolutely do, uh, but if you want a companion piece for it. They're also doing Demons of the Mind on the Soliday for dollars. Now it's one hundred dollars. And here is the new art on all one needs. Yeah, all of their updated art for these.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of like them. And they're they're gonna do all of the ones they've got the rights to. You just know they are. This looks great again, brand new four K restoration, sixty four page booklet with new essays, two posters.
Speaker 2: We've got a.
Speaker 3: New Virginia weatherall on Demons of the Mind, audio commentary with Steve Haberman, and then all kinds of extras. Yeah, I love these Hammer releases. I gotta I gotta say.
Speaker 2: And Craig is right.
Speaker 3: All the Deaf Crocodile releases have sixty page books and they're only thirty four bucks.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, I've already got at least one of them in my cart, so we can bump that up to about seven. I mean, what, well, you know, if you want to donate some funds to help me get seven, I won't say no.
Speaker 3: Or if anybody want watching wants to the Shameless Picture Show. Patreon link is in the description below too.
Speaker 2: Look at that, Look at you. I'm whoops, always have to click something wrong. I'm always terrible at promoting my own things, but happy to help you. March third, Sony Pictures Classics putting out a Blu ray and DVD release of Merely We Roll Along. This is what I alluded to earlier.
Speaker 3: You're talking about, Okay, broad Broadway musicals coming to disc. I actually saw this in the theater last year, and I gotta admit I like this way more than I thought I would.
Speaker 2: That there's always been a poster conceit that I hate. I hate when the names are up top two different orders. Yeah. I know it has to do with contracts and such, but it just bugs the hell out of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not great. I don't love that they do it either. Yeah, I just honestly very impressed that this is getting a disc release. I did not expect this to get a disc release, but the names in it, I guess, you know what, Daniel Radcliffe and Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez a big draw.
Speaker 2: I love that they're doing.
Speaker 3: It fun release, and I guess were supposed to get a link later film for Merely We Roll Along Eventually too, might be fourteen years or whatever, but hey, it's supposedly being worked on.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Street Trash from nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Light Bulb Films over in the UK, putting out a four K in this big limited VHS giant box art on April twenty seventh. This is going to have over eight hours of extras, including over five hours of brand new extras.
Speaker 2: So much to cover.
Speaker 3: Here, from Spookies to Speed Trash and interview with Street Trash producer Frank M Ferrell discussing his work on both his cult eighties horror films.
Speaker 2: A visual I Say by Daryl Buxton. There's going to be a feature length documentary by Jason Impi looking at the making of an impact of Street Trash.
Speaker 3: Lots of new stuff here. It's kind of wild. Have you seen Street Trash and if so, what do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: So I actually have it. I think I have the old Synapse DVD of Street Trash. It's been I feel like it's been burning a hole on my shelf. I feel like I see it every time I go through the horror section and I always pass it. By. For some reason, I've still not gotten around to watching this damn movie. It's not a great movie, but man, is this a fun movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't just count on any movie to have you throwing around a severed pedis in a junkyard like that's got to call your name, right, Yeah, you know, And I.
Speaker 2: Agree with Gary telling me you might be selling me. I agree with Gary.
Speaker 3: I don't normally love art cards, but when they're melty like this, these do look very cool.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I just never know what to do with them, Like when I do and when I get films in for a review that come with art cards, I'll show them off, but then they just go back in the case and I never look at them again.
Speaker 3: I agree, which is why I will never be making them on any of my releases.
Speaker 2: God no, well, I guess I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: If a filmmaker is basically demanding it, I will probably talk to them. But my god, genre Lan, have you seen any genre loan films over the years.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think it's a film filmmaker I'm really familiar with, But I'm trying to think if I've actually ever watched any of them. I don't believe, so I believe that I actually know. I believe this was a this is a blind spot, and at one point I had talked with Sam Deacan about coming on my show, and we're to discuss some of them but future episodes.
Speaker 3: Jasper is saying, thank you, thank us for not invading Greenland. Glad you're here tonight, Jasper, that's amazing. Let's talk about the next Indicator released April twentieth in the UK April twenty first and the US. There is a separate set of four K and Blu ray releases of two genre loan films coming. The first is The Grapes of Death from nineteen seventy eight. This is about a young woman named Elizabeth who is traveling deep into wine making country, only to find that the locals bearing horrific signs of an infection and behaving violently because they are zombies. Teaming up with Paul and Lucian, she discovers a deadly pesticidist transforming those who drink the local wine into murderous zombies. This is a legendary looking release. Share Me Richie does a brand new commentary for it, and there's all kinds of archival extras on here, multiple documentaries, multiple featurettes, multiple interviews, a critical appreciation by Stephen Thrower, so that you know.
Speaker 2: That you absolutely want it. Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: This is just a ridiculously great looking release. I will absolutely be owning it. And while you're there, you may as well pick up The Living Dead Girl, which is from nineteen eighty two. This is the second title coming out in the exact same day. This says a spillage of toxic waste causes Catherine de rise from the dead with an insatiable taste for blood. Returning to her family home, she is reacquainted with her childhood friend Helene, who tries to understand Catherine's predicament becomes for accomplice with tragic consequences.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is going to have another set of commentaries on here, one from two thousand and three, one brand new with Kevin Lines and Jonathan Rigby, some selected scenes commentary with one of the actors, all kinds of archival extras.
Speaker 2: We've got some new interviews.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a lot of stuff that was previously recorded and has now been re edited, which I kind of like that that they're updating those. This looks even more loaded than the other one. And don't forget each of these has a booklet kind of crazy. Highly recommend both of these genre on titles, two of his best movies. This is a strong month for them.
Speaker 2: They looked cool and yeah, these look really neat, Yeah strong. I know that you haven't tried any out yet, but these fascination. A couple of the vampire movies like Rape of the Vampires pretty decent. Yeah, I recommend checking it out.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see what is next. We've got Second Run. I held up their release of Manthon earlier tonight and they don't put out a lot. But we are getting Long Live the Republic from nineteen sixty five. This is coming on Blu Ray in the UK on March sixteenth. This is going to have a new HD transfer of the best existing materials by the Czech National Film Archive. There is going to be an interview with Carol Kashnya from nineteen ninety eight. There is going to be from nineteen sixty three, a Memory for the Present Jon Nemes. That's probably not the right way you say that name, but I am completely uncultured. There's an acclaimed short film here reflecting on the memory and legacy of World War Two. That is brand new, remastered in HD, a book with a new writing on the film by an author named Peter Hayms, which you are maybe familiar with because he does a lot of this stuff. Jesper, you can only see your comments because you're in the portrait stream. You got to come over to the landscape stream where all the cool kids are hanging out. This is gonna be region free. Pretty much all of the Second Run releases are region free. Are you into any check Films.
Speaker 2: Can't say that I've seen any, nor do I own anything from Second Run, but it's cool covered. I'm intrigued, very very strong company. You can definitely trust what they put out. They do great work.
Speaker 3: Next, Cobra Kai, a show that I've seen nothing from, is getting a Blu Ray complete series release, and the last season is getting a standalone DVD release on March third. That is coming from Sony Pictures themselves. Netflix does not own that show, which is why they're able to release it. It is not a Netflix it's not a Netflix production. It was just a Netflix streaming exclusive. So Sony's the one that made the choice to be able to put this out all sixty five filmed or all sixty five episodes. Sorry are coming. You've got all kinds of discs. I think it's fifteen discs.
Speaker 2: You've got some leaded scenes, featurettes, blooper real stuff like that. Cobra Kai. Person watched all of it with my wife, and it's actually funny. My wife watched all of it. She got really hooked on it with me, and she had never seen any of the Karate Kid films. Wow. And I I don't particularly like the first Karate Kid movie. My my favorite Karate Kid movie is the Next Karate Kid. So I'm sure I'll get banned from this show now for that. My order of ranking actually goes Next Karate Kid three to one. Wow. That is the hottest of takes that I've ever heard on I think, you know. But like, this show is just really trashy and fun and I had a good time. I wouldn't say it's a good show, but I had a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 3: I got one person saying the hell, one person saying banish him.
Speaker 2: That's uh all right, yeah, yeah, I used to it. Cobra Kai is actually better than any of the Karate Kid sequels. Says Gary, that's fair. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: I have never been a Karate Kid person myself. I've seen the first one many many times, don't really love any of the sequels, and I don't I don't love the first one. There is nothing about Cobra Kaine that seems interesting to me at all.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the only other take that I have had that has gotten me this kind of hate was that I think Ghostbuster is a bad movie interesting and Ghostbusters too is significantly better. I may be in line with that.
Speaker 3: It's been a long time since I've seen the sequel, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, all right. Well, I didn't want to mention real quick that someone else agrees with me in the chat that the Next Karate Kid is also their favorite, so I a little bit of you know, commonality there.
Speaker 3: Scott is saying, I'm probably the only person on earth who loves the Next Karate Kid.
Speaker 2: So definitely not hell Yeah me, Scott, we can be friends. Silent Man well hates Ghostbusters. You got friends there too, all right, Ronnie says, loving the hot takes. Yeah, you're obviously not getting banished. We love every I don't know one person did say banish him It's a good thing. They don't control the show.
Speaker 3: Speaking of controlling the show, I do control my podcast network, which is why I was able to welcome today two in the Pinku is now a part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Please come check out the show. The show is amazing.
Speaker 3: Anything about pink film, anything about gay pinku, anything about I always forget the word for it. What is the burazoku? Is the other one for gay pinku?
Speaker 2: Nakatsu Roman Porno, Absolutely Love Dakota, The Dakota and Chris Brand new episode out today on the Films of Hissiasusado Volume two.
Speaker 3: Please go download and check it out. The show is amazing. Are you into pink films? Have you heard of the show?
Speaker 2: I've heard you talk about the show. I've not seen a lot of pink films, but the show intrigues me. People.
Speaker 3: I just like Gary's comment don't ban him, but sweep his leg is a really funny comment.
Speaker 2: I seem to have created some dissonance in your comments, and I think I have personally offended the deaf crocodile people. I hope so all the crazies find out they're not alone.
Speaker 3: It's worth it. Check out two in the Pink EO. I just love saying that title. Next March seventeenth, Warner Archive releasing the Humphrey Bogart Collection. This will include Passage to Marseille, We've got Conflict, Chain Lightning, and they Dry by Night. I love these packages because you're getting four different discs. Every single film has their own discs still the exact same disc that was released in the standalone Blu ray. And if you don't own any of these movies, it'll be cheap. This is going to come out and you'll be able to get this for like thirty two bucks. And it's four great releases all in one one set. I mean, there's nothing to complain about here now.
Speaker 2: I really love what the One Archive is doing. Heck, I was even a big support of them back when they were just doing made on demand discs. I just like that this stuff is being put out there. Most of those made on demand discs are not good anymore, No, they're not. I think I still have Don't be Afraid of the Dark or Yeah, I think I still I haven't tested it in a while, however, I will give One Archives Warner Brothers some credit. I reached out to them with some discs that had issues, and they sent me replacements.
Speaker 3: I feel like they pick and choose who they're sending replacements to. There are some people that never get any response or any discs, and then others are like, yeah, I've always gotten everything from Warner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sent me a new version of my teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles colle that was skipping, so so I'll give him some credit. Nice.
Speaker 3: Nice, Only two announcements left and then we're done. February twenty fourth, we are getting a blu ray of Debs from two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: This is one that I've always wanted to see. You have not been able to check out.
Speaker 3: Crime Boss Lucy Diamond is back in the States and the DEBS, an elite team of paramilitary, college co ed superspies, are hot on her trail. But when their top agent, gorgeous Amy Bradshaw My, seriously disappears after coming face to face with the young villainess, the Debs begin a full scale search for Lucy's secret layer, never suspecting that Amy may not want to be rescued. After all, A smart and sexy spy spoof about love at first gun sight. This is going to have the director's commentary, cast commentary, deleted scenes infiltrating Debs, and an animatic and I have to shout out. Ronnie is thrilled about this, says so excited about Debs finally getting a Blu Ray. Great lesbian spy comedy that was misunderstood and very wrongly panned by clueless mainstream hetero film critics upon its release. And it's Ronnie's birthday, so Mary, Merry Christmas, Happy birthday, So glad you're stoked. Congrats Ronnie, this is great love. Seeing this one on site nearly crushed me.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just getting tired, Like that was way funnier than I was expecting it to be. I've not seen it. I've seen I feel like I remember seeing this cover somewhere, but yeah, I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: This was like one of the last video store posters that were everywhere.
Speaker 2: For a while. I mean, that's why I know it, because yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 3: And then our last one for the night, well go USA, putting out the twenty twenty four film Ghost Train on Blu Ray and DVD on February seventeenth.
Speaker 2: This says a young.
Speaker 3: YouTuber is desperate to boost her channel's popularity with content about a mysterious train station famous for its haunted history of suicides and disappearances. When she upload it's a video about the eerie urban legends, it goes viral overnight, and like most creators, she's hungry for more.
Speaker 2: Despite everyone's warnings, she asks the station master for more ghost stories, but while investigating the strange disappearances, she uncovers a terrifying and deadly truth. From what I just read, I believe this is an anthology film. How do you feel about anthologies? I'm mixed on anthologies. I should I love the idea of them. A lot of times, they often feel longer because it's it's like, so, I've gone to a lot of film festivals, and even though I have made primarily short films, I hate going to short film blocks because it feels a two hour block. When you're watching like twelve short films and you're going through that many ups and downs and narrative arcs, it feels exhausting. And I often feel that way with anthology films. There's ones I really like, but it's not a type of film that I get excited for. Right, another hot take that I'll probably you know, get some hate for. I don't really like Creep Show that much and big reason why it feels really long, Like there's some of the segments I like, but as a whole, I don't think the film folly works for me understandable. I do get that. I disagree, but I get it. I do get it. Everyone disagrees with me. That's fine, it is true. Everyone has never agreed with you. That is right.
Speaker 3: Anthology films, I will say, I like a lot of them, and then a lot of them are also just truly awful, not not even like remarkably close to being decent.
Speaker 2: So it's it's one of those things. The medium is tough. Yeah, I did love Tails from the Hood though, I just saw that one. That one's great, Yeah, that one is great. I feel my enjoyment of a anthal A big part of it comes down to how strong the wrap around is, that is true, or if they can do something, say like more in the vein of Trick or Treat, where there isn't a wrap around, but all the stories bleed into each other so seamlessly, it feels like I'm watching one film.
Speaker 3: I love Trick or Treat. I think it is maybe the best anthology film ever made.
Speaker 2: I will agree with you at least my favorite if anything.
Speaker 3: Well, that is all the announcements for the week. Let's now remind people what is coming out next week. This is the last week of the month, so all of the OCN and Vinegar Center announcements will be listed here. But let's cover some of the other ones, including World War Z four K Steel Book from Shout coming next week. We've got the House Party four K from Criteria, the Birth four K they're.
Speaker 2: Already Afraid of the Dark like we were just talking about.
Speaker 3: We've got the once A the four K from Shout that is also coming out. We've got the Mechanic four K from Keena Lober, The Narrow Margin from More Archives. Speaking of student bodies finally going to be shipping from Terror Vision in the next couple of weeks. Gator Bait will not be that will be a little bit longer. Still working on that one extra Seismo the Box that from seven is getting its wide release for people that bought from the site, you might have already got yours. Sabrina from nineteen ninety five from Kino is coming out next week. The original Kiss of the Spider Woman four K from Criterion is dropping next week. Some more more on Archive, Red Dust, The Verdict, the New Fred and Barney Show. I still need to get that one Blood of Revenge from Radiances next week as well. King of Beggars from Eureka. We've got Illustrious Corpses from Radiance. We've got the Project a Co four K Blue Moon. We just talked about that one earlier on The Oscar Show. That's getting its Blu ray disc next week. Cheap Thrills in the US from Arrow.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Cheap Thrills? Not yet. It's been a movie that I've It's been on my list for a while and I just haven't pulled the trigger on getting it from the library or just blind buying it. It is so good. Pat Healy is great in it. Manpower from more Archive, The Rolling Stones real Quick. I just do didn't mention. Speaking of Pat Heally, I was on Facebook Marketplace not too long ago and I saw someone selling a bunch of criterions and knows Pat Healy, and I was like, Hey, I'm really interested in this, he goes. I'll be completely honest with you. I don't feel like, it's worth the price of shipping, where you can just get it from Amazon for a better price. I'm like, well, I appreciate your honesty. I guess that you don't want to rip me off, but it's weird and I'm potentially buying a criterion from Pat Healy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And speaking of somebody that we mentioned earlier, Brian Soward's got a bunch of pictures up hanging out with Pat Healey recently.
Speaker 2: Go go check out Brian stuff. Brian's great, Brian. He's one of the first people that let me write on a website. Nice, let's spend the night together. Stones that's getting a four K and blu ray release from Keno Lorber, We've got what as next? Hold that Blonde from Keno coming soon. Happy Hell Night four K from Terrvision will be shipping ish fairly soon. By the Light of the Silvery Moon from Warner Archive. Ordinary People getting its standard re released here the Last screening Shoe String Slashers Part two from TerrorVision will be out in some weeks. Patrick four K. Same there, Space Adventures Cobra.
Speaker 3: The movies that will be out from Disco Tech next week, Cliff and Color the Technicolor films from Indicator will be dropping. We've got for the first time from Warner Archive, lots of stuff coming next week. Shark, skin Man and the peach Hip Girl from Disco Tech coming next week This Second Woman from Filmmaster's Marry Me four k Michael's favorite movie with Owen Wilson.
Speaker 2: Little Prayer. I have seen it, I will submit. I honestly not surprised. How is Marry Me? I've been I've been curious. It's not bad. I have me and my wife. We have a fondness for rom comms. It's not bad. They actually have a lot more chemistry together than you would expect. Interesting. I don't remember a lot about it, but I don't feel like it was a waste of my time, if that makes any sense. It does make sense the thing with feathers. Did you see that last year? No? I did not. It's a very weird movie.
Speaker 3: I don't know anybody else has who has seen it, so I'm kind of curious what other people thought about it.
Speaker 2: I thought interesting.
Speaker 3: Movie kind of had some fun practical effects that are pretty cool. Pulse coming out next week from the Studio. Trickully or Trifle from Co and Media Group is coming out next week as well, and that is it. Any of those that you are keen for already got pre ordered, got your eye on.
Speaker 2: I don't do a whole lot of pre orders. I know you said it's not coming anytime soon, but I really have my eye on Gator Bait. It's just a type of film that I really enjoy have my eye on. Married to the Mob. I saw that they had the the best worst movie documentary and along with I think Americans Scares, it was a dupe documentary set that looks fun. The Great Silence I didn't love the first time I saw, but I want to see it again because I watched off a really bad DVD.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, you need to watch it again. It's one of the greatest spaghetti was I'm also.
Speaker 2: Firm believer that, you know, sometimes you're just not in the right mindset for some movies, and that is fine, you know, and also at the same time, not everything is for everyone. That is true. Although I wasn't in the right mindset for that movie because I love Westerns, everything about it is a movie that I would love. I just don't think I was fully locked in when I watched it.
Speaker 3: We had a question from Gary. Gary wants to know what is bad Things? It is a Shutter release that was through OCN. He says it reminds me of The Exorcist, and it says a group of friends go to a hotel for a weekend get away and soon discover that women do bad things here.
Speaker 2: That is a really bad synopsis. It is. It is oh, and I am excited for the mechanic. I'm a Charles Bronson.
Speaker 3: Guide Bronson, I huh, good to know, good to know.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get into shameless.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about some of the history with the show real quick before we get into our list. What are some of your favorite films that you saw for the first time doing the show over the years.
Speaker 2: Well, I mentioned at the beginning of the show, but The Godfather that was a perfect example of a movie that I had never seen before I did the show. And it's not because I didn't want to watch it. It's just sometimes with these big films, you're just like, well, it's not going anywhere, and I don't think I'm gonna dislike it, so it just got I got pushed down the list. So that was one. I still have to watch the sequels. But I I just I'm really bad about making time for some of these movies. Some other films that I saw for the first time that I really loved. I saw Face in the Dark, Sorry, I Facing the Crowd. I really loved that one. Mikey and Nicky I saw for the first time doing this show. Really enjoyed that one. I'm going through my list of episodes because I've been doing this for ten years, so it's not always easy to remember everything. I did Little Darlings, great movie. That was probably one of my favorite episodes. I really enjoyed that. Let's See Sunset Ball I saw for the first time because of this show. Let's See what else? Oh, Betty Blue I saw because of my podcast. Oh wow, and uh. A friend of mine was so was so wanting me to see it. He shipped me the Criterion, so I'd moved to the top of my list and I did. Let's see what else stuck out with me that I watched for the first time because of this Do you have anything from Second Site over the UK? I do. I do have a couple Second Site releases. I have their release of Drive, I have the release of The Guest, I have their original Super Mario Brothers. They put out that movie is a hyperfixation for me, and I think I have a couple more. I just can't remember them at the time.
Speaker 3: But speaking of that movie, uh, not a lot of people have this, and I'm so stoked I've got their original release of Betty Blue. It is one of their first limited edition releases sideloading. I still can't believe I got this really really great release.
Speaker 2: In the movie, I do not have the criteria, this is the one I went with, so anyways, just want to show no, I love that. So yeah, that's just a couple of the handful of things that I've seen since. Like I said, with the conceit of the show, it's not always movies that I haven't seen it, sometimes that the other person haven't seen. I think the episodes work best when one of the people on it has seen it, but you know, it doesn't always work that way. One of my favorite episodes though, that we did it was a movie that I absolutely love, which is Rocky. My co host had never seen it. And then I have a friend of mine who works for the Plaza Theater in Atlanta. He had never seen Rocky, so he came on to do it. And I also the last half hour, maybe forty minutes of that show, I called my good friend Lloyd Kaufman up and he did an interview just talking about his relationship with John g Awlinson, Wow, which he doesn't talk about a lot. Interesting with your show, you.
Speaker 3: Are you're you're programming in a way. You are curating tastes out of some things that people give you a list for, or some ideas, or just because you know some of these people. And so the joy of you discovering films is great. But also the film fan love of sharing films with people that are brand new is always great. So what are some of the ones that you had seen? But you got the best enjoyment out of showing somebody new on the show.
Speaker 2: So Rocky was obviously a big one that I got to show someone because it's a film that honestly means quite a lot to me. It's just it's kind of a It's one of those theories that was always there for me. I loved getting to introduce my former co host Nick. He had to step away from the doing the show full time, but he still comes on every year for our annual Christmas episode, our first Christmas episode we ever did was a double feature of Black Christmas and The Family Stone, and I love that. I got to introduce him to Black Christmas and he showed me The Family Stone. Yeah, what a wild double feature. See other films that I got to introduce people to that I was really excited for was Let's see. So I wasn't prepared for this question, so I'm quickly going through my list I got to show. I got to introduce someone who is not familiar with professional wrestling in any way to perform beyond the mat. So it's interesting to watch someone's perspective who doesn't know wrestling, to see all the behind the scenes of it. How did that do? Were they happy to see it? He was fascinated by it. He didn't I get out of it what I got out of it, But it was He's like, I've never thought about professional wrestling, right, so to see the behind the scenes of how it's all orchestrated, especially because at the time he worked for a theater. He's like, it's it's just it's just it's it's He's like, it's it's like sports theater. I'm like, yeah, pretty much, yeah, very much. So so that was a That was a fun one. Getting to introduce someone too because it is it is a wild title. I got to introduce uh uh. After Nick left the show, I then just had to start bringing in co hosts all the time. I got to introduce one of my co hosts to Phantom of the Paradise. Oh I love that movie. I do too. I also got to introduce my former co host to the Monster Squad and we had Andre Gower on to discuss it with us. That's pretty cool. Yeah. So we also talked about his documentary which he made and he was the sweetest person. I got to introduced someone to Boogie Knights and that was a fun time nice one of the more interesting ones. So my former co host Nick, he is a big Star Trek fan. We've done multiple Star Trek episode our first episode because back when we started the Shameless picturehow it was going to be television and movies, we didn't do a lot of television, but we started off with Star Trek the Next Generation. He's a big Star Trek fan, to the point that for our two hundred episode, we're gonna do Star Trek the Motion picture Wow, because I'd actually never seen it, but he had never seen Galaxy Quest, so I thought, well, this is gonna be the free to see and it's a really fascinating episode. I recommend everyone to listen to it. Because he didn't like it, and he didn't like it because he saw too much of himself in it and it made him have front himself in an interesting way. Huh, And sometimes sometimes the show's therapy interesting. Yeah, hmm. You know it's tough.
Speaker 3: I came to your show too late, and I've not been able to go back through the archives because you have ten freaking years of podcasting behind or more than that behind.
Speaker 2: You nearly two hundred episodes. Jesus, not including bonus episodes. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: You had a Patreon, like I said LinkedIn the description below, what do you do over on your Patreon?
Speaker 2: Well, originally, we're getting back to it. We haven't. We've never had that many patrons. Usually we have a couple people who kick us a dollar, and I think they forget they're even doing it, which is fine, I'll take your money. We were my wife and I were doing a show called Cage is the Rage. We're working through the films of Nicholas Cage in chronological order, and then ranking them in terms of cageness. The problem is, I don't think anyone was listening to because I don't think anyone could figure out how the podcast thing like audio work. Like I gave a couple of them away to the main feed. Uh, and then since no one was subscribing, And this is not like a woe is me thing, but I was like, well, I'm not going to keep putting them out. There's no one really listening to them. But my wife and I we just wanted to get back to it. So when when season ten starts out, we're going to jump back into it and just probably give a couple of them, give a lot of them away, and then if there's interest, then put them behind. And it's like it's only a buck to get them. Yeah, not bad, not bad. So it's not much. It was more we Marshall set it up just because I felt like because I did have some friends who were like, I'd like to kick in something, and I was like, well, I only do two episodes a month, so I already struggled even put right content sometimes because I'm I do so much other stuff. But I feel that so deeply. Yeah, but you put out weekly shows I'm live. Thankfully, I don't have to edit or anything like that. And it's funny, Like I used to joke, it's like, you know, I give away the edited stuff for free, and then the stuff that I don't edit I put up on Patreon people pay for. Yep, that is that is true.
Speaker 3: I don't know, did you do you want to reveal that I am. I am doing an episode here soon and what we're recovering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I can only I can only tell people what some of the upcoming episodes are. So for episode two hundred, which is going to be releasing probably like second maybe third week, in probably second week into February, they're doing Star Trek the motion picture. The episode right after that, which is episode two oh one, Ryan will be joining us to discuss Godzilla minus one, which he had told me he had not seen yet and it was probably my favorite movie of the year it came out, So I'm really excited to talk with him about that. I've got an episode Clueless coming up with Millie de Cheriico. On top of that, I also have Austin Procter The Frightmar's podcast. When he was here, we recorded an episode on Hudsucker Proxy, So we got some good stuff coming up.
Speaker 3: You've also done some interviews on your show you want to you want to shout out any of the names that you've had for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. So the interviews have always been interesting because I always give anyone who comes on the option. It's like, you know, here's the theme of the show, here's what we do. But if you don't want to dedicate yourself to having to watch a movie, like sometimes the people I'm interviewing are busy, I give him the option. But if they do come on to discuss a movie, I still try to work an interview in. So like recently I had Alonzo Dealdy on and we were talking about Christmas movies in general, because it's another topic that I'm obsessed with. I've had various people on I'm Going. I had Phil Hopkins, a Phil Masters on UH and he is just a delight to talk to. And I film Masters is one of my favorite companies currently, favorite boutique labels they're making there. There's so many films that used to come on those crappy mill Creek to like two hundred horror movie collections that were hard to even get through and they're breathing new life into them. I tormented. I tried to watch so many times before they put out the Blu Ray, and I was riveted. Also, David Gregory from Severin on very recently. He was He's just a phenomenal guest and just very kind with his time, which I appreciate. I've had some. I've had people like Lusey Tomlin Brenner on UH. She is a comedian in Los Angeles. She also runs I'm Sorry You Say is great. Lussy is great. She is been on my show twice and absolutely a gem. I've had Susan Kerns on my podcast, which may not be a name a lot of you know, but she is the current executive director for Milwaukee Film. On top of that, she's also teaches. She used to teach film at Columbia College. But she also wrote an essay for the Tank Girl release for that Umbrella put out. Yeah, so she she's She produced one of my early films and we've been friends ever since. I also had Maggie Greenwald on my show, who directed the Ballad of Little Joe. Oh interesting. I don't know that many people have seen, but it is a great little Western also had Robert Tanell, who directed the movie Frankenstein and Me, which is a movie that just profoundly moved me. So I've had some cool people on.
Speaker 3: It's it's always weird when I'm talking with somebody on the show and they mentioned the name that I've been emailing with this week. By the way, thanks for that contact.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. You're gonna have to tell me how that's going off.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's break down some shameless items now. So these we're going to talk about maybe why we haven't seen these and what they are, and if the other person has seen them, we'll give some shout outs there. So I'll give my first one, and I try to make these very far apart in a way where they're like different styles or different levels of well, they're all well known, but they're different levels of like, man, this is pretty shameful.
Speaker 2: My first one.
Speaker 3: I've said this on the show, and a couple of these y'all have heard before, but I don't think Michael's ever heard these, So I'm gonna blow his mind a little bit with these.
Speaker 2: The first one is nineteen fifty seven's the seventh seal of the Bergman film.
Speaker 3: I have never seen any Bergman film as of this point.
Speaker 2: Guess what meaning look at that? Yeah, and I will say, and this is probably sorry, I keep getting like into your music. The music. That's plain for me. The reason I had not seen The Seven Seal and seen a lot of Bergmann films and is just honestly, when I first heard about them, they looked boring. Yeah, and I'm not saying they are. I also when I first heard about Bergmann, I my journey as a cinephile was completely different. But I just think because of that, like I don't know, I guess part of me is like, well, I've seen Last Action Hero, so I'm sure I've seen enough. I've seen The Seven Seal, which is funny to me anyways. But yeah, I just I when I was younger, I just figured they would be boring, and I'm sure I would actually really enjoy them. I just need to make the time to sit down and watch them. I agree.
Speaker 3: And I showed my kids Last Action here about a year and a half ago, and they seemed to be mildly amused by a couple of scenes.
Speaker 2: And yet here, I'm like, this movie is a master mace. It's a fun time. It was way different than I remembered it being. That's for sure. List of five, what is the first one that you're gonna bring up tonight? This one is surprising even to me. Uh seven Samurai. Oh as of current, I've only seen one Kurasyle film and that was Rashman, And honestly, I just need to bite the bullet and buy a bunch of those criterions that they've woken out. But sometimes my scene things is you're rely a what's in front of me thing. There is a sense of discovery that comes from it, Like I can go online and buy pretty much anything, but I need to not do that, so I wait till things kind of find me. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: I don't know why this was so funny to me, but Craig saying seven Sam's is pretty good makes me laugh so much because it sounds like he's on a first name basis with it. Yeah, I mean curs Alba, like he's one of the best. Like that's not hard to say, obviously, but I mean even then, like I saw durse Uzzala that he did, I don't love that movie, say Samurai, good movie.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those films. It's just he's one of those directors like, I know I'm gonna like this. I know I'm gonna like the works he does. It's funny. I have a I have a large frame poster of a Carre cris Alas dreams and I don't never seen in the movie, but I found it at a store and I had to have it. That's great.
Speaker 3: I wanted to highlight this because Sibmoners says, I've never seen a Studio Ghibli movie, and he's got the little eye peaking emoji next to it. This is like the definition of the shameless picture show. Yeah, he's worried about revealing.
Speaker 2: That you should never feel shame about the things that you haven't seen. This only so many hours in the day, it is okay. The biggest thing is you should just be not necessarily be proud of it, but you should own it and know that it's always there for you to discover.
Speaker 3: Yep, agreed, completely agreed. My next one is a big one for me that I've been meaning to watch for like the longest time. I just for some reason have not prioritized it. I have still not seen nineteen sixty seven's Cool Hand Luke.
Speaker 2: I actually just saw that for the first time on film, Like two years ago, Milwaukee Film showed it, and that's what I'm talking about. Sometimes, Like I love Paul Newman and for and I just had never gotten around to Cool Hand Luke. But then I saw it was playing, I was like, well, and this is how I'm going to see it. I wait for some in I probably would I seen more stuff sometimes if I wouldn't do. But sometimes I just kind of wait for a movie to find me, because I truly do believe movies find you when you're supposed to see them, agreed completely.
Speaker 3: And sometimes the first time you see them, you weren't supposed to see them, and you don't like them, and you'll find later that you just weren't ready for it yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cool Hand Luke was a movie that I remember getting into a conversation with a local film critic about right afterwards, where I was profoundly moved by the film, and he goes, I thought it was really stupid. It's like, well we are. We had two very different reactions to this movie because you you weren't supposed to discover this film yet. That's true, absolutely true.
Speaker 3: Terry in the chat says Ryan has had a failure to communicate with the cool hand, Luke. This is one of the reasons I've always needed to see this because my dad quoted this line to me all the damn time and never showed me the movie, just told me what it was from.
Speaker 2: I need to see it big time. There's a there's I had seen one scene from it, probably because of the uh you know, retrospectives and Turner classic movies where he eats like a shit ton of boiled eggs.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is probably true.
Speaker 3: Noodle's a lot more Simpsons episodes will make sense if do you sequel hand, Luke.
Speaker 2: It's honestly true. It's like the same thing when I started getting into Hitchcock. It's like, oh wow, so many more of these jokes make sense now, all right, second on your list for tonight. So this one has been on my list for since it came out, and it's now gotten to a point where I'm intentionally not seen it until my wife or minds until my wife pretty much says we need to watch it. There will be blood, wow, big that one when it came out, There will be blood and no Country for old men. Were both going for the Oscar, and I swore my allegiance to No Country for Old Men. Well you chose wisely overall. Yeah, I was like, I can't see there will be Blood, and then I it's kind of it's gotten to the point where I've been working. I think there's only besides there will be Blood, there's only three Pta movies I still need to see, and so I just kind of feel like it needs to be the last one I watch, or whenever my wife is, because my wife has seen it and she keeps forgetting that I've never seen it. So I was like, the day that she was like, let's put this on, will be it? Yeah, that's I mean, that would be a fun experience too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Terry, completely understandable reason. Craig says, we were just talking about There Will be Blood last night, one of those films that's so damn good but you don't rush out to watch it again.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely true.
Speaker 3: Good movie, good movie. I'm excited for you to see it. I'm curious to how do you feel about Pta overall?
Speaker 2: From I like him overall. I don't think there's been any of his films that I've disliked. Yeah, that makes sense, Like even his even the ones that for me the least, I still find endlessly fascinating. Like Punch Drunk. Love is a movie that I have mixed feelings on, but I think about it all the time. Yeah, it's a good movie, beautiful movie. Love the way it looks. My next one is one that I have.
Speaker 3: Heard from a couple of people that I would love, and it was like, all right, adding to the watch list and then never referring to the list again. I still have not checked out nineteen nineteen seventy four's Cassavetti's Joint A Woman under the Influence, one that gets referenced so many times, still have not put it in.
Speaker 2: I have that So. I'm friends with one of my film professors from college, and he's been downsized and getting rid of a lot of his movies. I think actually remember sending you a picture. I bought a bunch of those Corman shout factory sets from him, and I got a really good price on them, I'll tell you, because I don't think he looked at what they're worth. But he also sold me all of his Cassavetti's DVDs, so I have almost all of his films on the shelf, but I've only killing of a Chinese Bookie. So it's one of the Now that I have them all, it's like, okay, now I want to kind of work through once again. They found me. Yeah, now I just need to actually make the time for them. But right, yeah, I need to see it.
Speaker 3: Heard nothing but great things about General Olins in that movie.
Speaker 2: Just no excuse. I need to see it for sure. So my next one is another. I don't want to say it's a contemporary film because it's almost it's like twenty six years old at this point. But Gladiator, uh so when it came out, I was like ten years old, so I had I had no interest in it when I started getting older. Russell just didn't do much for me. I there's things I like him in. I love them in nice Guys. I like him in Three Tender Yuma, but like he's not he was never that. He wasn't moving units for me right and I've kind of I'm mixed on Ridley Scott. So it just it was a movie I just keep putting off. But the way my tastes have evolved over these, I think it's a movie I'm really gonna like. Yeah, it's just I need to find my way to it. What are what are some of your favorite release scots. I love Alien, of course, that's an easy one. And I'm uh in the camp that where I prefer Alien over Aliens because I prefer aliens. Saw Blade Runner recently because of my show, was really uh impressed by that. I love Legend. We were just talking about that one of the discord too. But there's there's still a lot of blind spots I've not seen, like like you know, I saw House of Gucci or whatever. Uh I saw Robin Hood or whatever, but like I've not seen them one Louise yet I have the criterion. I just need to said, uh, so he's got an interesting career. I was always a bigger fan of Tony Scott. Same same, same, same, like just I don't know, like I man, I had so many films in film school that I would just bring a fog machine onto set just because I wanted the Tony Scott look, or i'd have I'd have all the grips just smoke cigarettes. Let's be real, grips are always fucking smoking cigarettes. Man, them and the best boys, dammit, yep. I uh, I don't know why, but as soon as you said, I always prefer Tony Scott. I wanted to make a really terrible.
Speaker 3: Walk hard reference to say the wrong Scott died, but uh, that seemed in poor taste. My number four is one that everybody's gonna laugh at because I've talked about it on the show so so so many times. I'm sorry. I know that it needs to happen, and my plan is to do it this year. I just need to do it without the kids nearby. I have still never seen Opera or Akira however disnounced Oh okay, eighty eight it's a big one. I just got the four K last year. I need to see it.
Speaker 2: I've heard nothing but amazing things. Uh. Yeah, Anime is not a strong suit of mine. It's not one that I've seen a ton from no me, but I've I've been getting more into it. Yeah I had. I had a huge aversion to it because I was being a pretentious fuck for a long time. Yep, and I uh, I like which is so annoying because I used to read Mango when I was in middle school, because I feel like most people did at least at one point, but then, like I went to high school with some kids who just really took it too fucking far and they just shot out of me. And then I just kind of got on my high horse with it. But I'm I'm discovering one that I know I was a pretentious fuck wad then and then two there's a lot of really brilliant storytelling. Yeah, it's true. What's what's your favorite anime you've seen so far? Let's see said I've been going through Cowboy Bebop is A is A is like a low hanging fruit answer because it is really good. I'm a big fan of fully coolie For movies. I saw Ninja Scroll way too young an age I should not have seen Ninja scrolling Vampire enter D when I was the age that I was, And you're right, Jasper, I still am a pretentious fuck I thought that was really funny con but I saw it was way too young. It's a But I would say the one that I think just was worked the for movie wise, that has worked super well for me would be either Ghost in the Shell or Princess Monta. Okay, I've still not seen either of those. Actually, I see someone mention the good comments Spirited Away is a fantastic answer. I saw that movie for the first time when I was pretty young Turner Classic Movies, and this is actually when I first discovered Ben Mankowitz. It was it was when he first started working with Turner Classic Movies. He did a late night screen and a Princess Montai okay one time with one time dubbed and one time subbed back. Oh, and I stayed up late, wrapped under a blanket, with the blanket over the my my televisions. My parents said no, it was up and stayed up until like three am. W soone enamored by it. Yeah, so yeah, I mean it actually might be spirited watched again since that very formative screening, and it's one of those movies it's like, I'm almost afraid to rewatch it because, yeah, that nostalgia is a drug. Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I completely get that. Those uh, those Ghibli films just kind of incredible. Yeah, And I've not seen all of them, but the ones I've seen.
Speaker 2: I'm almost at this point I'm savoring them because I've seen I've seen a handful of them, and I saw Princess Monta Okay when they re released on four K last year, and theatrically, and each one of them has just been delightful.
Speaker 3: I'm so ready for those four kiss of finally get announced. God, so many of those are gonna look just remarkable, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: And like my wife is really big into Totoro like that was that's kind of the one that she really gravitates to the hot topic. Gibli nice. Well he's fucking cute. Yeah, that sounded so dismissive, but it was so funny. All right, year number four and I got so aggressive, it's fucking cute. Lawrence of Arabia, Oh yeah, that I feel like I know a lot about and I've I've I read a lot of like film history books and things like that. It feels like a movie that I've seen, but I know I haven't. Like do you ever get that where there's like a movie or a filmmaker you've read a lot about, Yeah, and it feels like you've seen something. That's how Lawrence of Arabia feels to me.
Speaker 3: So what's really funny is I'm feeling the exact opposite way about Lawrence of Arabia right now. I know for a fact I've seen it at least twice. I hardly remember anything about it. I feel like it's one of those movies that just immediately dumps out of my mind the two times that I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also just really like it's I don't know why I haven't seen it yet. Probably it might be the length, because I don't mind long movies. It's more so trying to find time for long movies. And I read a lot about Lawrence of Arabia when I of getting really into john Ford because I was just really I love the fact that David Lean said he studied, uh, the Searchers to figure out how to best shoot landscapes. I just so at this point it's, uh, it's been my quote of the day. I'm just waiting for that movie to find me hmm interesting. Yeah, I uh, I'm curious if that one will ever like stick with me. I need to try again. It's been a while for sure, Holton. I also want to know if it'll ever be gay enough for you? Please please report back, Colon, Yes, you know, find me on social media. I need to know your is Warren every day. I just need to check in. Is Lawrence Arabia gay enough for you? Today? Go get that rr L. Is Laurence of Arabia gayenaugh for me? Yet? Dot com. This reminds me were you ever a professional wrestling guy? Yeah? Multiple times. Yeah, there was a website that existed for a while long time that is uh is test Still Dead dot com and you can go to it and be yes and had a clock of how long he's been dead for. I don't know where the joke started, but it's always made me laugh. Cool. This comment is so funny in response that man was in them deserts doing dirty things. Oh jeez.
Speaker 3: All right, so this last one is kind of like a more recent infatuation that I don't know why I haven't put this one in the player yet, but I have loved, like literally been enthralled by everything that I've seen from Long Car Why and for some reason, I have not watched nineteen ninety seven's Happy Together yet, and I feel like from all the promo material it looks like one that I am going to worship afterwards. So I just I need to get around to it. But it's God, it's so wild how much the other ones have worked perfectly for me, So I know it's gonna be great. I just I gotta dedicate the time to it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's really funny you mentioned that because my next one's in the Mood for Love.
Speaker 3: No way, Yes, so much of our's been our first one. We both picked the word seven in the title. Yeah you want car WI like this has been great.
Speaker 2: Like I, like many pretentious young film students, saw Chunking Express and pretty much built my life around it, and then I just never got around to his other films except for I apparently I've seen The Grand Master, and I don't remember when I watched that. Uh, But in the Mood for Love, it's very much like you said, I know it's a movie that I'm going to love. It's beautiful, and I just I just uh, I just need to pull that trigger. Yeah it has a criterion? Correct?
Speaker 3: Does I have a criterion? It's in that box set, it had its own standalone. I think it's got a four K now if I'm remembering right.
Speaker 2: Just another thing too, It's just like sometimes some of these films aren't easy to like. The reason I hadn't seen Possession for so long is because it was not easy to If you didn't get that original release of it, good fucking luck finding it or so. When I was talking to Austin about when we went to go see No other choice I had not I've not seen any other Park Chan Wook films except for Stoker because they were notoriously hard to find for a while for a while. Yeah, and then it's because they were so hard to find, I stopped looking. Mm hmm. Which the reason why up until like, I hadn't seen a lot of John Woo films because they weren't easy to find, and now they are. Now they're all getting releases and I don't have to deal with the unsavory bootleg websites to see some of them. But like, you know, when something is not easily available, why keep looking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Stan, yes, we absolutely are our Patreon we do a watch along as a group once a month and one of them we did Chunk King Express and discussed afterwards and stuff. Loved that movie, yeah, Ronnie says, Chunking Express, and I do it for me.
Speaker 2: Still haven't seen in the Mood for Love.
Speaker 3: In The Mood for Love is remarkably just well made, shot, beautifully poignant. Loved that movie so much. Gosh, these are these are good lists, solid lists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like and after talking about it, I don't feel any shame.
Speaker 3: I'm absolutely except for maybe the Bergmann stuff.
Speaker 2: I can I can wait on a few of those. But yeah, and I even had backup choices just in case we had the same one. I actually made a list of eleven. What are the other six? If you want to rattle mouth? Uh the graduate somebody else mentioned that in the chat earlier too after hours. Oh wow, I had that criterion still still shrink wrapped. Another of course, I see the last Waltz. Oh good movie. Yeah, come and see h Yeah, I understand putting that one off and then send theem a PARADISEO.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I can see that not being super like accessible, I guess, or approachable.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the better way to say that. Plus I without knowing a whole lot about it, you know, I remember when it was recommended to me by someone. I was like, why would I see that? I've already seen Matt and A. That's yeah, touchet, they're both great. I know it's you know, it's not the same thing. I'm being a little coy about it, but not a pretentious fuck though. That's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Michael, this has been amazing. Thanks for doing this. I had a whole hell of a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I'm glad and i's got to stir up some shit in your comments section.
Speaker 3: It happens every week, and so I'm grateful that you had an opportunity to do it. Yeah and yeah, I had a great time.
Speaker 2: And hope if we uh looking to come back, looking to come back whenever we can get me scheduled in. Uh, though I'm a little sad, I gotta say. Uh. So, back before you had officially announced Antenna, you had said it's like, oh, well there's a piece of news I want to tell you, but I want to wait until I can tell you why. You still haven't said anything. So I don't know if you were just because the.
Speaker 3: First time was going to be the week of that announcement. That makes sense that that because we had to I think we had to reschedule you twice.
Speaker 2: No only once. No, No, I rescheduled you. You rescheduled you once. Yeah, so it was twice. But so I thought you had something me specific that I was like excited for. No, just uh, just antenna.
Speaker 3: But the big thing was Brian, Uh only had one opportunity to come on the show, and so it was like, I gotta get Brian back on and I know that Michae will be okay, wait one week.
Speaker 2: So we did it. Yeah, it was like like I said before, Brian's a great deal. I don't know him super well, but back before I was a very unproven writer. Only thing I had written for was Taste of Cinema. If you remember that website, I vaguely do. I think it was mostly a list website, you like, oh, you know, best horror locations, and you just showed that. When Brian was doing Rupert Pumpkin, uh, he you know, would do his discovery lists every year, and I reached out to him, being nobody, I'd barely been doing the podcast and asked if I could post one and he said yes, and he'd let me do that for like three or four years pretty much pretty much until he stopped using doing the website when when Pierre Cinema yeahocked off. And then a funny another little side of Brian when he first started getting into four K I think he had a four K TV, he had no four K discs. He just reached out to like Facebook is like, does anyone have any four K digital codes? They don't want, so I gave them a four K digital code for hook.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he remembers this, but I do. It's a formidable moment for you. I'm sure he remembers it greatly. Yeah, this has been.
Speaker 2: Great, Brian's great, You're great, This is this is so much fun. Thanks for doing it, of course, and I'm always happy to come back on again. Well we will get you back.
Speaker 3: Everybody, Stay safe over this freezing ass cold weekend that many of us are going to have. If you're in California, this is one of those super jealousy moments of your weather not being deadly at the moment, although sometimes I'll take this over the fires.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: Anything else coming up that you haven't shouted out that you'd like to shout out?
Speaker 2: Um out with. The Season ten of the podcast is calming up. Don't have the official date yet, but I'm thinking second week of February. It's mostly I'm it's mostly when my editor and get it done. As long as I get two episodes a month, I'm happy. I'm not super strict with my deadlines because I don't believe in working people too hard, So I got that come in. We have our secret project. We're not really talking about what we are kind of talking about Yeah. So I'm trying to think if there's anything else. No, not really, Like I'm oh, I can I talk about the piece that I'm writing for please? Yeah, I teased it. You can. You can reveal as much as you want, all right. So I'm writing a piece for the Physical Media Advocate that is now not coming out until probably juneish, Yeah, to coincide with Jackass five. I'm writing a piece for the Physical Media Advocate about how Jackass has helped break down toxic masculinity within nineties and two thousands youths. And I even yeah, and I had an unexpected interview with Chris rab Aka rab himself, and he gave me like an hour and a half to almost two hours of his time just to shoot the ship and like we talked about the Orgin, like how he got involved because he was more part of the c ky stuff and merged in the Jackass that way. He gave me some behind the scenes information about how viv Labam worked and he was a great dude.
Speaker 3: I am so stoked that we're going to have an exclusive Jackass interview in the Physical Media Advocate. And unbeknownst to us that they were doing a fifth film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said he's not involved with it, but you know, he was more than happy to talk about his time with Jackass and God, I want to tell like a story from that interview, but don't want to spoil the magazine.
Speaker 3: Right, you got got to check it out, come back around June, and uh check out the issue when it comes out, And I'm sure we'll get Michael on some other stuff. He's already talked about a couple of other ideas. You've written two Is it only tours?
Speaker 2: That've been three too? But I've hitched like, yeah, it's two. I have that. I pitched you the Jackass piece and I pitched you a video store piece that I'm I need to meet with the guy that to discuss further. But yeah, so far I wrote. I want to say one of the more in depth pieces about the Longest Yard yet Reynolds film, because he's my obsession actor. I think at this point out like the I don't want to say I wrote the longest piece on the Longest Yard because I know that's not the case, but it's pretty in depth piece about the Longest Yard. I'm confident I have written the most about Frankenstein and me and then that wasn't for you. But then I also wrote from al Delvio with love my appreciation of Netflix Christmas Movies, which is also quite in depth about the history of all Mark Channel. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We also, I mean you, you had just recorded with Alonzo dra all day and we also highlighted his new version of his book Have Yourself a Movie, Little Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yep, shelve behind me. Nice. Nice, Yeah, check out the magazine.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna keep talking about things because I like talking with you, So I'll let everybody go. Have a good night, stay safe. We'll see y'all next Thursday. It's gonna be a fun night it is. I don't remember who's Oh, Chris will be back next week. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: Have a good night. See then. Thanks Michael, You're welcome, see y'all. Thank you for watching The Disconnected.
Speaker 3: On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 4: Greetings, Welcome to two in the Pinkoo Podcast. Experience a deep dive into softcore Japanese exploitation cinema from the sixties up into the present with an emphasis on sleeves and seduction. We are monthly or bi weekly, and we're not even by.
Speaker 2: Will pink film save our marriage? Find out onto in the Pink Oup Podcast.
Speaker 5: Horror movies get a bad rap.
Speaker 6: They're cheap thrills, mindless scre not cinema blah blah blah. But we here at Sitting in the Dark no better. We know that horror is more than.
Speaker 2: Just jump scares and chainsaws. It's a reflection of our deepest fears.
Speaker 6: Our anxieties are okay, and there's a lot of jump scares in Chad Sauce.
Speaker 2: Join us, Pete Wright, Tommy Met's the Third, Kyle Wilson, and Kenan ds as we cut into the dark heart of horror cinema.
Speaker 5: Every episode we explore a different facet of the genre, from survival horror to home invasions, from zombies to birds. We tickle the tropes, analyze the angles, and sharpen our own axes. Along the way, we'll introduce you to the classics that shape the genre.
Speaker 2: The modern masterpieces that are pushing the boundaries of terror. Sitting in the.
Speaker 5: Dark is your guide to navigating the terrifying.
Speaker 6: Thrilling, and sometimes hilariously bad world of horror movies will help you understand why we love to be scared, and.
Speaker 5: Maybe even convert you into a horror fan yourself.
Speaker 2: So turn off the lights, close the basement door.
Speaker 7: And Joina.
Speaker 6: Okay, now for the lightning round.
Speaker 7: I'm so good at lightning rounds. That's from Friends. It's my favorite show.
Speaker 6: Twenty seconds on the Clock starts. Now, who is the captain of the USS Enterprise?
Speaker 7: Crap? Is it Captain Stubing? No Morgan crunch.
Speaker 6: Next question, which superhero is Tony Stark?
Speaker 7: Stark?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: Did Game of Thrones have superheroes? I only watched two episodes.
Speaker 6: Planet, where Luke and Leah born.
Speaker 7: On Planet Fitness.
Speaker 6: Oh, time's up. Sorry, And now a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 8: Hey everybody, Mandy Kaplan here. Please check out my podcast Make Me a Nerd, where each week an incredible guest tries to baptize this mainstream mom into the world of sci fi, fantasy and all things nerdy. Available wherever you podcast.
Speaker 6: That's our show, folks.
Speaker 8: Wait, wait, wait, I just thought of it. Padme Amidala gave birth to her twins Luke and Leah on Poulus Masa.
Speaker 7: No, That's dumb, is it? Planet Hollywood?
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description