Speaker 1: Your flights and accommodation, a book, Your itinery is sorted. You have dreamed about this trip for longer than you would admit to most people. So what is worth organizing in the final weeks before your trip to Italy. That's what we're covering today on this latest episode of the Untold Italy podcast.
Speaker 2: Tawatuti and Benvenuti Tuan Told Italy, the travel podcast to where you go to the towns and villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Beli, Italia. Each week, your host, Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: Jao Tuti and Ben Venuti, Welcome to episode three hundred and thirty two of the Untold Italy podcast. I'm Katie, the founder of Untold Italy and if you're tuning in, there is a fair chance you have a trip to Italy on the horizon. We know a lot of our listeners travel in September and in October, so we thought that we would cover what needs to get done before you get on the plane, because sometimes we planned a lot of in advance, and we may have left a few things to the last minute. A few months out from your trip, the big planning is mostly behind you, the countdown has started, and somewhere in the back of your mind is that short list of small things you keep meaning to sort out. After many many trips to Italy, my guest Monica and I have got this down to what we think is a fine art and so today we're here to share these tips with you. Now, before we get started, I wanted to share a lovely review that we got from one of our recent tour guests on our trip to and this is a really beautiful trip that's immersing everyone into the region and really meeting the locals and having a beautiful time. And so Nola said, the Untold Italy Umbria Tour was a truly wonderful experience. This was only my second guided tour. I usually preferred to arrange things myself, but this trip has completely changed my mind. We visited places, met people, and discovered artisans I never would have found on my own. With just nine guests, the tour felt wonderfully personal and attentive. Our guide Sarah was exceptional, endlessly helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble, and she consistently made sure every single person was getting the most out of the experience. Umbria itself was breathtaking, so many beautiful villages and cities to explore. The accommodation and food were equally fantastic. I honestly couldn't find a single fault except that it had to end. I cannot recommend this tour highly enough. Everything is taken care of. All you have to do show up and enjoy it. Oh Nola grout simulate. Thank you so much. It was so much fun to have on tour and we are so delighted to be able to share this beautiful region with you listeners. If Umbria is calling, we do have some spaces available on our trip to parting in October where we will immerse ourselves in the region and the all important olive harvest. The link is in the show notes, or you can reach out to us at info at untold Italy Tours dot com for details. Okay on with the show andiamo let's count down to Italy.
Speaker 3: Buon Jono Jel Monica.
Speaker 1: Dow Katie Come stae Ava, Beneva Berner two.
Speaker 4: Walter Ben grats. It nice to be here with you again, and this time we can also see each other.
Speaker 1: I know we're gonna do this on video for everyone. If you're listening on the audio, we will be posting this on YouTube as a video as well, so you can see lovely Monica in your beautiful house done in the coast in Australia and I'm in the city in Melbourne, Australia. So well, we are very far away from Italy, but we're always thinking about Italy, aren't we, Monica.
Speaker 4: All the time? Yes, how can you know, especially this time where here is a bit chilly and I start to see all my friends like organizing getting ready to go into the beach, like nice weather back in Italy. So yeah, of course I'm thinking about Italy.
Speaker 1: I think it's super hot there though this week I think it's forty degrees, which is for our American listeners is well over one hundred and ten I think, so it's really really hot. Sorry, people are going soon, make sure you are ready for that type of weather because it's not the best for sightseeing. I would say It's great for the beach and maybe the mountains, but sightseeing maybe not so much.
Speaker 4: Maybe just inside, like if you are going to the city, just playing a lot of activity inside, lots of museums, air con we need.
Speaker 3: That is fine. Air Con initially can be not what we expect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good museum, some big museum they have, but yes, it's through sometimes, Yeah it's missing, isn't it. It's like so different from here. Even houses in general. Sometimes you book an Airbnb and you assume that there is going to be air con, but they just suggest to live their windows open or they have some fan.
Speaker 1: Well my favorite one was when we were in Tuscany, it and I agreed to rese mo Ones and they had the AIRCN wedged like literally sticky tape down on twenty five degrees and I said, I know that's heating. That's fine, that's not air conditioning.
Speaker 3: Sorry, we just turned it off. It wasn't worth it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is true. Yeah, you feel like we all live in twenty twenty six and we assume that everywhere the standard is the same. But yeah, it's not like every time where you travel somewhere, like they have their way to live and Italian have something. I don't know if you heard about that, but it's called cold podaria. So everyone is very scared about the air con and different, like if the air comes in your neck, you can get very sick. Yeah, we are very careful as Italians, like you don't get sick if it's old.
Speaker 1: Somehow, I know that's when the papa jackets come out, when it's as soon as it's October, everyone's got their papa jacket. Anyway, some people may not know you, so i'd love you to introduce yourself to everyone again and let everyone know who.
Speaker 4: You are and what you do.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so.
Speaker 4: My name is Monica and I am from Italy, Pierre Monte to be precise, so which is north west next to France. As you can hear, English is not my first language. I'm Italian and I learn English when I was twenty six. I learned English for a long time, but then I really learned to speak English when I was twenty six and I came to Australia. I noticed how the way I was learning the language was probably not my way. So as soon as I came here, I learned to learn the language in a more practical way, and even if I study architecture, so I'm an architect in Italy. My profession in my career change when I came here because I noticed that there is another way to learn a language, and I wanted to share that with people that want to learn my language. So I start do language languages change, and then I thought, oh, this is this is what I want to do. This is I want to help people to learn a language or to communicate really in a more relaxed way that is not really the school sort of way where you have a program, you need to follow the program and is the same for everyone. And so in in twenty and eighteen I opened my school and I yes, I teach Italian and with a group of teachers, and we specialize in adults and in people that want to learn Italian to travel or to reconnect with their route. So sometimes we have, especially in Australia, second generation Italian secondary generation that they want to start speaking and with one on one session, this is what we do. My school is called Sumizura Italy. And yeah, we tend to Taylor the lesson. In fact, Sumizura in Italian means Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a very clever lady.
Speaker 1: Monica and her teachers are fantastic, So definitely we'll be giving you some more information about how you can get.
Speaker 3: In touch with her.
Speaker 1: But what I wanted to do today is Micha had this suggestion actually is like, what do you do when you're getting ready to go to Italy? So what are the things that you need to do and think about? And is it even too late to learn Italian? So we're going to go into a little bit of that as we go through this episode today because a lot of people at this time are getting ready to go later this year, so September is the busiest month for non European tourists in Italy and especially in the major cities. Actually, so today I thought we could chat about all the things that you need to do to make sure that when you arrive in Italia you're at the top of your game and you've got all that pent up excitement.
Speaker 3: Building and you're ready to go. Because I do know that a lot of.
Speaker 1: You have been planning these trips for over twelve or eighty months. So sometimes once you've booked the tickets and you've booked all the main things that you need to do, and you've got all your plans in order. Everything goes quiet for a little bit, and then two months before your.
Speaker 3: Trip you're like, ah, I'm going to do a lot of things.
Speaker 1: So I thought we could go through all of those things and work out how you can make sure you can have the very best time when you get there, and if you're listening and you are not driving or walking or whatever, and you're close to a computer. We do have a companion article to this episode that has lots of links and details if you want some more information about what we're talking about today.
Speaker 3: We'll also link to that in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So you can search our website as well for this episode, which is episode number three hundred and thirty two, or you can search our website Untold Italy dot com for the pre departure checklist. Okay, Andiamo, how excited do you get when you're going.
Speaker 4: Back to Italy and Monica, Yes, very excited. I try to go every year. It's a different excitement, probably because when I go back to Italy, I got first to visit my family and then we try to put because my husband is not Italian, we try and also I enjoyed to travel in Italy. We try to put some different place to visit every time. But yes, it's so exciting and every time it's different. As you said, it depends the time of the year you're going, the atmosphere, and also all what I have to think about luggage and what to get ready, like how to get ready really like it depends on by the city or by what I'm going to do. Yeah, so it's always new and lots of research.
Speaker 1: I think next time Money will be traveling with her three boys under the age of five everyone. So that is a big job to get a family of five from Australia to Italy, which is a twenty four hour flight. So I is off to you, Monica, because that is a huge job. But I also get excited when I'm going to Italy, and sometimes I get lulled into a fullse sense of security because I do go so often, and I think, well, I know everything, I know what to do, I know I've got my routine, I know when I get to the airport, I know who's going to meet me and all of those things.
Speaker 3: But I think I didn't.
Speaker 1: Instagram real earlier this week about a document that people are missing when they go and it's actually a very important doctor. So I've learned my lesson that I do need to slow down a bit, and the time to do that is if you're traveling in the next six months, it's good time to take stock of that now. So that's what we're going to talk about today. So, first of all, travel is not what it used to be. When I first started traveling. You could really just wing it a lot of the time and just turn up and you know, go to the places that you wanted to go, to eat at, the restaurants that you wanted to eat at, and do all of the things. But these days, if you've got something really important that you had in mind, please you need to book these things early. So I'm thinking of things like Colisseum tickets, Vatican Museums, Borgesa.
Speaker 3: Gallery in Rome.
Speaker 1: This is a favorite gallery of mine and it always sells out.
Speaker 3: You must have a ticket for that.
Speaker 1: They only allow a few hundred visitors a day, so there's very limited tickets for that one. Also the Last Supper in Milan. So those type of important sites, if you're traveling halfway around the world and you really really.
Speaker 3: Want to see them, you don't want to miss out.
Speaker 1: So if you haven't got onto those things yet and you're traveling soon, please do that. Maybe you can talk about restaurants money because I know you used to work in the restaurant industry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking, because sometimes myself, first I save all this restaurant on Instagram where I want to go when I can go to Italy. Yeah, and then you realize that the day you were thinking to go is the closing day or they booked out. Especially again, I'm from Pimonte, so if you want to go in Pimonte from September to December, I really really think that you should look months in advance the restaurant where you really want to go. Again, we're quite lucky because in Italy there are lots of place where you can eat well, but if you really want to specifically have that kind of experience like a cooking class or a restaurant table, and also maybe where you want to sit in the restaurant, because you like sometimes you have beautiful restaurants. But then if you think about the booking in advance, then you might be able to sit in front of the window where you can see the dome and all the big cathit and you can have that request, which changed so much if you are sitting in the same restaurant and like near the kitchen, for instance, So the football is the same, but the experience will be different. So definitely, yes, if it's something you want to experience, Yeah, you need to do it in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: My favorite example is Roscholi's Slumina, which is well, it used to be my favorite restaurant in Rome, but I can't get in there, like you need to book three months in advance, and as Monica said, the experience can differ wildly. The first experience I had that was right up near the deli counter there. It was so much fun. There was a lot of interaction. And then I think the last time I was there was down in the cellar, which is a different environment. It was actually quite nice, but it was a different experience to what I had imagined it was going to be because I was just so desperate to get the table at that point.
Speaker 4: As as you said, I worked for so long in a restaurant. It's a three Starmishlan restaurant. When I was studying university, and I remember how many times people were calling assuming to be able to find a place, and they were like, oh no, but what can you put me in a waiting list? But even waiting lists in those kinds of restaurants, they sometimes like there is one percent possibility that you can get table, and it's such a disappointment because you travel so long, like so far away, you spend so much money to be there in that place, and then you can't experience that. It's very sad, like this is why it's so important. I'm sure standing you can get a reservation exactly a Sally Richie. Yeah, I don't know, like maybe not, because sometimes it's woken.
Speaker 3: I love that about Italy as well.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people are not impressed by celebrities at all, so they'll be like not, but why sorry, you go on the list like everyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For instance, this restaurant where I used to work, as a beautiful table in the kitchen, so you can actually sit in the middle of this chef that are preparing the food, and it's so beautiful because you can see like smoke coming out of the little thoughts and you can see how they get raided. Your plates that are twenty chef like that work for a table. So if you can sit in the kitchen, that is a crazy experience and doesn't cost more than sitting in the restaurant and the room. So if you can get that table, like, how cool is the experience? You know? So again, yeah, good to be ready and to think about that at least a couple of months in advance.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break, both brief and back before you know it, planning your own easily trip but feeling overwhelmed. Our consultings give you personalized guidance based on years of insider knowledge and local relationships.
Speaker 3: Learn more in the show notes. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I think everyone wants to know the name of that restaurant now, Monica, can you share.
Speaker 3: It with us?
Speaker 4: It's called Yazza Duomo Alba. The chef is Enrico Crippa.
Speaker 1: I want to go there now, that's the type of experience that I would love to have.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go there with you.
Speaker 4: Though, yeah we go, we all go together. You need to save a bit of money, but I have a good discount.
Speaker 3: That's why I want to go with you.
Speaker 4: Joking, It is beautiful, but yeah, a restaurant, it's ladies. But also yes, booking and make sure you have accommodation because again, one like let's say one event in the city can change completely. No, even in my town on the week the third week of August, and my town is such a small town where you know, we have a few tourists, but it's not as busy and crazy in my town is called Governe. If you try to book in Govane, they're week that they have their saga, which is their fester, their party of the town, and it's impossible. So again, maybe you want to enjoy something ladies and you think, oh, why not, I'm going to go in a little village. You see that it's always like you always find booking, but then you realize that, oh wow, this is the same week that they all want to go there. So yeah, that's another thing to think about. Yeah, And I think the.
Speaker 1: Other one that people need to get onto. If you're traveling by train and you want to go on the big intercity routes between say Rome and Florence or Venison, it's good to book about two months out. I think you can get the best prices and then you can also have options. The I like to go business class. It's only a few more euros and you get a little bit more space, but you'll have more options, and just on that. With the trains, I had a few emails, Oh, I can't book any trains for September because and in early June. And that's because every six months in Italy and in Europe they turn over the timetable, so a lot of trains weren't able to be booked in June. So now when we're recording this, this is the end of June, so you should be able to book everything that you need to do for the rest of the year. But yeah, definitely get onto the train.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that you didn't know. Yeah, I didn't know that. It is true. For instance, last year I went with my family and back then we had just two kids. And as you said, if you book in advance, for instance, you can find family tickets or you can also find that pay one go into like and that was so convenient for us. We had like our own section because actually we decided to travel during the night and what's fun with the kids, So we had our on cabin and we basically pay like like one ticket because the kids were struveling for free and we were too, So that was was great, just because we talked about that a bit in advance and it was so fun, like they even put normal like beautiful leaning. It was was very cute.
Speaker 3: Was that from room to tuin.
Speaker 4: We did from Turin to roam. Yeah. When we came to Roma and we met there, this is what we did during the night. Yeah, the kids love it. It was such an experience. You have bang dead and you went you were arriving in Rome like around five thirty six in the morning. Was just fun.
Speaker 3: Did they sleep?
Speaker 4: They sleep, and I sleep as well. I was so tired, I was pregnant.
Speaker 1: And it's probably cheaper than a hotel room too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. So we said, okay, we will be tired, but we already booked a little accommodation was now and airbnb was an apartment and so we said, okay, it will be fun. We arrived there and then we went for a walk. We actually went to Piazzaa wore now at six am, which was already busy, but what's nice. Yeah, and then we had a little nap in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: Oh so nice. Okay. Well, and I think around this time.
Speaker 1: People are thinking, oh my goodness. I was always thinking that I should learn some Italian before I go. So Monica tell us. You are the Italian teacher. Is it too late with two months to go to your Italy trip to learn a little bit of Italian?
Speaker 4: Never too late. Even if you just have a week and you just want to put a bit of effort. You can learn just a few things to be nice with people. And this is what we do with the travelers. So, as I said, we have different kind of Italian learn language learner, health students, so who want to be in fluence and so they've been studying four years. But then there is people that just want to be nice when they go there, and I think it's such a good way to extend your travel. We have a course that is called four week to Italy, so you can learn in four weeks just a little things to be nice with people, to greet, to order something at the restaurant, to also say what you don't eat, because lots of people the travel these days. Unfortunately we can be silic, or you can have an allergy or you just don't want to or you have a kind of diet that you want to keep having in Italy. And sometimes it is true that you can ask in English, but if you really need so for instance, we had a student. Her daughter was Siliic, but in a very severe way, so she need to make sure that nothing was like it. So she was saying that in Italian and in English, and she just learned that. So it's a fun way to extend your trouble. Again. You will not be fluent if you haven't studied Italian before, but you will learn just a few things to get by, or even just to say gratzia in the correct way. And so people that doesn't like look at you like she's speaking Spanish not Italian. Don't save me grassies please. So yeah, it's definitely achievable and will change your experience. And I do it every time when I go to a country that is not in English or Italian speaker. I do a bit of French before I go into France. I do a bit of even a Balinese when I go to Bali. It's nice to be nice with people where you go. People will appreciate so much and will change your experience with them as well, so you can connect better with people.
Speaker 1: I think, especially now when people tend to rely on Google Translate and things like that, if they're thinking, oh well, I don't need to learn because I can use this translation app But there's something so special about having that one to one interaction with people, and there's no better place to do that than Italy. I think in Italy it's a personal relationship, it's a feeling and if you make that effort, you were going to get it back many times over. A friend of mine just contacted me. She's in Italy at the moment. She's in Pulia, and you know, like they've had their usual they've had a few issues. She fell over and hurt herself and things like that, and some issues with their car and her husband he actually looks a bit of Italian's not Italian, but he looks a little bit, but he can't speak any Italian. And so but when she speaks Italian and she said, oh you should see the red carpet get laid out, I get all these attention. People want to help because she's made the effort to try, and she speaks a handful of words. Really she doesn't know too much, but it's making all the difference to their trip, and especially down south where they are at the moment, in quite a not a well known part of Pulia. People don't speak English very well. So it's really worth having a go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a beautiful way to connect. And really I said that first experience, but all the students that start to learn a bit of Italian before their strip, they really think, oh, it's like traveling, you know, I learn a bit of that culture. It make me dream that I'm going to be there. And you know, you ask to your personal teacher, like hair experience, well, she likes. So we have teachers around. They come from different places in Italy. So for instance, if you ask Marcella that she's from Sardinia and you are going to Sardinia, she will tell you everything about So it's almost like having your friend already in Italy that gives you her suggestion on how to approach people. So yeah, it's definitely is one of the things that I always do. And even if you don't do it with a tutor, just I suggest just too. Yes, if you remember the old Lonely Planet at the end had few FRASERI just read them and try to pronounce them. Well, it's something that you can do. Still, it's a bit less fun because when you read the sentence you don't know how to pronounce them actually, but yeah, we'll help you as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, Monica, are you've forgotten that you're the voice of our Italian in our app?
Speaker 4: Hey, I forgot about that exactly, Katie. That is something fun. If you go in the language section of Katie app, we did together this little tiny section where you can listen the main words and so you can listen, you can see how they spelled, so if you need to write them, you can just copy them. It's so easy. It's endy because it's on your phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can hear Monica's voice saying that the phrases and how to pronounce things correctly.
Speaker 3: So that's all in the untoldly to the app.
Speaker 1: Actually, that was actually one of my favorite parts when we were building the app, because I just I love hearing Monica's little voice coming out of the phone at me.
Speaker 4: It was fun. Yeah, it was a little fun project to do together, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it. Yeah, So definitely have a go at getting some Italian language down into your brain, even if it's learning how to order a gelato.
Speaker 3: Definitely, how to say.
Speaker 1: Buonacera, the differences in different types of greetings, because as much as everyone likes to say joao jiao bella, it's not really the standard way of approaching people is it.
Speaker 4: While you were speaking, I remember a section of our four Weeks to Italy course, and that is how to order your coffee. So it's not just about the language, but it's really to communicate what you want. So it's an Italian we always love to English speaker because they order to or do it cappuccinos because cappuccino is a word that you use in the English language. Now, so one cappuccino, two cappuccinos. You put the ax to make it plural, when for us cappuccinos doesn't exist. It becomes cappuccini, okay, so or cappuccino becomes cappuccini. So just be able to order rappuccino for you and your husband or you and your girlfriend, and just to order in a nice way so people don't don't laugh. That will be that will be good. So for rey do a cappuccini that is good, or you know, like if you like late in Australia, we order a latte, which is a coffee with milk. In Italian, if you just order latte, it's just a up like a big cup of milk because lata means milk, so that is a fun way as well too, just to be able to do what you like and how you like. So yeah, there are little things that will change completely your experience, especially if you travel out of Rome, Venice and Florence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think when people order latte and the server will go, oh, Fredo Ocardo's coral or hot, and you'll be like, don't go just a latta.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think everyone has the Latin culture around the world, and in Italian it's definitely cafe latte, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Exactly, which again has a like a big quantity of milk compared to the coffee. So yeah, when when you want to order a latte ish in Italy, I always suggest, for instance, to have therapuccino without the chocolate, because it's what resemble the most a latte in Australia for instance. But yeah, it's it is. Part of the language is communication and you don't need to learn the war all the words, but you need to recognize what is written on the on your menu or ask. Yeah, for for instance, if you have a problem in the hotel lots of time, you know, like you you need your hair dryer doesn't work, or you want a change of your howell to go to their pool. So it's nice to ask in Italian, and I feel if it doesn't make sense, you'll see the biggest smile on people. Like even if you make a mistake when you're speaking Italian, or if you have to lead out what you've written a piece of paper, it will change your experience. And I always do that everywhere I traveled, me.
Speaker 1: Too, But I think Italians are unique in that they do genuinely appreciate the effort.
Speaker 3: Not every culture does.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, like the French an't famous for it, but definitely in Italy they definitely appreciate it. And you'll see a lot of generosity of spirit heading your way when you have a go. So the next bit that I wanted to talk about is just getting all those dotted eyes and cross Tea's about doing all your paperwork when you go there, and all of the things that make everything go smoothly. Passports you need to have six months expiring. Actually three months is the rule, but I like to have six months just in case. I think there's nothing worse than getting to the airport and being told to know you can't board because you don't have the right documentation on you. So do you check your pass boards are up to date and check when they're expiring, because you can get yourself into a little bit of a bother. As I mentioned, I did a little mini episode on a very important document if you're driving, which is the international drivers permit, And Monica, does your husband drive when he's in Italy?
Speaker 4: Last time he draw he used the Australian drive license for three months and he was able to do that. But yeah, I don't know if he works the same for every country or if that all is different.
Speaker 1: Well, you may not have rented a car, so you might not have found out the hard way.
Speaker 4: I know we did that car.
Speaker 1: No, you have that family car. But what you do need is your local license plus your international drivers permit, so next time he goes, because if you get stopped by police or there's an accident, you do need to have that if you've got a license from outside of Europe, So it's very important. I went into a bit more detail earlier in the week about this international drivers permit and people turning up to pick up their rental car and not being able to get it because they did not have the right documentation.
Speaker 4: I'm Italian and I should know this stuff, but because I don't work in that kind of field, yeah, I didn know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think we're also into this false sense of security.
Speaker 3: Is like if you're.
Speaker 1: Especially if you're a frequent traveler, and you're just like, right, okay, go got my passport, got this, got that, booked everything online?
Speaker 3: Whoops, I forgot to check.
Speaker 1: And another one that's really important is depending on when you're traveling and how you're going in to Venice is that Venice has a tax now for day trip visitors that you have to pay in advance.
Speaker 3: But even if you are not going for the day.
Speaker 1: And you're staying on the lagoon, you still need to have an exemption. So you need to apply for it now. So the hotels will be sending it out. And you know how like sometimes in hotels and the way they communicate is so funny. Honestly, I love Italy because sometimes it's like stepping back in time to the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick moment. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: For daily travel tips and behind the scenes content from our tours. Make sure to follow us on Instagram at Untold Italy Tours.
Speaker 3: But you need to pay attention.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they're giving you really important information, like the Venice tourist tax, which if you haven't paid for it or you haven't applied for the exemption, this.
Speaker 3: Is like three or four hundred euros.
Speaker 1: Which can really content in that holiday budget.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I actually, when I traveled to Rome and Napril last year, I notice even like Airbnb now they have to charge the tax on top of the airbnbfee and I was like, oh, yeah, I forgot about that. You know, you assume that things are like here in Australia when I book something, I just go and it's done. I forgot how thorough they need to be when they check your passport. So again you just don't like just go in a place and that's it. Not they have to check your passport, They have to write all the things in their paper, so there is a lot of work.
Speaker 1: One thing please, no one forget is to get insurance. Please please make sure you have your travel insurance, especially the health one.
Speaker 3: I can't say this enough.
Speaker 1: Basically Easily has an amazing health system and you will probably be able to access it if you are traveling and something goes wrong. But the real challenge is if your vacation is disrupted or you need to be flown home for whatever reason. Some of our tour guests have had to leave our tours early for family health emergencies and other things, and if they don't have insurance, you know, basically the cost of flying back, getting an extra ticket, canceling the tour, getting additional accommodation and transportation, and if you are unfortunate enough to have to be medi backed home that can be life changing in a really terrible way from a financial perspective. So the cost of the insurance is small in comparison to your trip and it's a really important thing to do. So if you haven't done that yet, go ahead and do that because I think that's a very important step that you need to take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good one. My mum is coming from Italy to Australia in July, and again for hair, I said the same. The first stuff that was booking the insurance, especially how things are going and that we have all the tom and even want to make sure that whatever you need to do, like you can fly back and you're covert because it's it's easy, especially with flights cost tool Yeah, blow on out to a budget in a very bad way.
Speaker 1: And probably the other thing around that is really work out how you're going to use your phone and how you're going to communicate with people. So in Italy everyone loves using WhatsApp, don't they.
Speaker 3: That's a WhatsApp culture. I reckon. There's a number one.
Speaker 4: Restaurants that is like book on WhatsApp. I was like, okay, yeah, I know it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can do easily do just send them a text on WhatsApp. It's very easy to book the restaurants online that way. But if you are concerned about using a lot of data or you want to get a local SIM, you should do that. I recommend using an e SIM. There's a company called Eralo. There's a lot of different versions. I personally just use my plan from home because they get cheaper and cheaper all the time. Now it's like it can be five dollars a day or something like that. Some of the operators here in Australia offer international roaming plans for a very little and I personally find that the most convenient because of you know, now with all the security stuff, you need access to your actual phone to get the codes and all of that, but you can get an e SIM. I wouldn't bother doing it when you're there. It's just it's too much hassle. Definitely, if you've got a phone that takes two sims.
Speaker 4: Get sim yeah exactly. Yeah, but you don't need the second seam as well, like get the right way to just do all an electronic one. But yeah, it's it's something you have to think about. I remember back in time when I was I had to grab another phone and like use the other phone as a rulter for or like in wireless. So it's much easier. But again it's something to think about when when you travel so much to organize, isn't it like when you put things together there, Like it's a lot, it's a lot of information. Especially if you are a parent, you have to think all the other things. For instance, what I notice again is when you travel with kids and you need to make sure that all the hotel they have a court, or if you need a court, or because not all the hotel has a court, or because maybe they have three and they already have three family, so make sure that this is our restaurants have like a seat for your kid. There are if you go a major city. I know there are company that even rained, you're a prom so if you need a problem with bigger wheels or whatever, so there is a's a mom. There is lots of things that I had to think that before. I didn't have to think, like even finding for mola baby food. It's not impossible, but you need to like look into me into this information before.
Speaker 1: Going traveling with small children. Like it's to be an Olympic sport. I reckon, it's amazing to do.
Speaker 3: I love doing it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, we would go with our two port cuts that we hit travel cuts that we had. We would put them on the plane because we knew the kids would sleep in them and they are very good.
Speaker 3: Okay, now we're getting very close to getting there.
Speaker 1: We need to pack. I mean, look all these people. My hat's off to you. If you can travel for longer than two weeks with a carry on, amazing. Personally, I get bored of my clothes. There is a lady on Instagram and she does this method, Sudoku packing method where you have like nine items of clothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I do like it, but I just look at it and I go I get bored, you know, with a with all of that, and also not just that, but I like to travel with a medium case. Now everyone's different, but I don't know how people can get their hair, you know, like to be just coming out of the shower and dry nicely. But I need my hair tools. I need I need things that I that are going to take up space, and I like to leave room to bring things home. I love shopping in Italy, so I don't travel carry on. I always check a bag, but I don't usually take a big case. I just take a medium one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, a big case is still heavy. It's too difficult. Sometimes castses are smaller than our casts, so sometimes it's even difficult to put in there in the car. And and it's true, as you say, you want to buy something in Italy, and everyone had this idea, and include sometimes I have this naive idea of like, oh, I'm going to Italy and buy everything because it's going to be cheap. Well, if you don't know where to buy, it could be like prices, or you want your nice piece of clothes at least you have them. If you have beautiful nights and a villa like outside, you want your like Florida dress for instance, So something that you can you really enjoy, you feel well in it based on the weather. So do a bit of research on what weather is going to be and then some space free in the luggage. But make sure again you do a bit of research on where to buy things because it can be yeah, difficult to find exactly what you have in mind, like handmade things made in Italy, like hand like beautiful bags and shoes. So space by the same time, your stuff based on the weather and comfortable shoes. Remember how these streets in Italy are. We forget about cobblestones and high heels. They don't really work well.
Speaker 1: Can you do a bimnica as a proud Italian woman? Can you walk on cobblestones and hills?
Speaker 4: I actually used to do. I was much younger, and you know, like you want to do bella figura, which for an Italian is very important. So when I go to a restaurant, I used to park not too far and I put my high heels on and I had to walk on it. But yeah, my body change and I feel like a nice comfortable shoe is at best.
Speaker 3: Yeah me too.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I think my heels days are over.
Speaker 3: I've got such a collection.
Speaker 1: I used to be such a heels person, but yeah, really comfortable in sneakers now. Yeah, and flat anyway, you can still get very nice ones of those. But to your point about shopping, Actually, in our app, we have hundreds of listings of artisan shops where we love to recommend people to go to for buying food, for buying gifts, for buying linen.
Speaker 3: I love buying.
Speaker 1: Linen in Italy and ceramics as well, and a lot of these places will ship home. But you know, sometimes you don't want that precious purchase to leave you. I know, I bought this beautiful star ceramic star when I was in Urbino last year, and I loved it so much, and it was packed and snugly put into my case. So yeah, it's a really important thing to have space in new case for all those purchases.
Speaker 4: Explain me if I go on your app and I want to find, yeah, like, how is organized to find, for instance, shops where I should look because I have your app? And again, every city is different, so I can say I'm Italian, I will find everything I can't because I don't know the city. So how does it work.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you go into the say your region, if you go into Pimonte and you can go into the shopping section, then there's a whole list of shops that we recommend, and they're all ones that we love. You know, there's the I think that famous cheese shopping bra is in there if you know that one. And you know, like there's our favorite chocolate shop in today, you know, the Gubino chocolate shop, which is on one of our favorites. So things like that. It's like really specific to the region. We have clothing boutiques, we have leather, we have ceramics. But but yeah, we love collecting this information and putting it in the app. So and it can also be mapped out on a map, so you can zoom in on where it is.
Speaker 4: Do you know where they are? Oh good, that's very handy.
Speaker 3: I think so well.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I do it really for myself more than anything else, because I want to remember all these places. Like you said, you put everything in Instagram and this ends up being one hundred items and then you have to sit through them and you don't really know why you saved them in the first place.
Speaker 4: Knowing where they are in their map will help because again, maybe you stay ira on, but if it's like an hour and a half the other side around, you can't go. So it's it's good to see what's what's around that you'll like it, or where do you'll stay. Yeah, that's that's a very good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: So it's not unpacking that we have like a full episodes unpacking and what to where if anyone's interested, Like, we go into a lot of detail because everyone's got a little bit of a different packing style. And obviously there's mon Inca said if you're traveling with kids, and my goodness, it's a whole different kettle of fish, really, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's just packing for three boys. I don't know how you do.
Speaker 4: Yet I will eventually, So yeah, I wish me luck.
Speaker 3: I have two words for you.
Speaker 1: Packing cubes, color coordinated. Everything goes in the packing cubes and then you just pull them out. That's that's the only way that I can see that would work anyway.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's a whole nother ballgame.
Speaker 1: So the last thing that people should do and probably do this one to two weeks out. And this is something really important Monica probably gets collected by her family very excited when she arrives in Italy.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 1: I get picked up by a driver. And this is the best thing that I do. Is so important to me because once, especially if you've traveled for twenty four hours from Australia or more sometimes depending on where you've stopped over or you know, for coming from the West coast of the US or even the East Coast, you're tired, you're exhausted. Yes, you can get it taxi. But taxis, yeah, they can.
Speaker 3: You know, taxi.
Speaker 1: Drivers the world over, they don't have the best reputation, do they.
Speaker 3: I mean, they can be really painful.
Speaker 1: And you don't know exactly what you're going to pay. You have to sort out money you have to pay with the car. They might turn around and say no, we don't take the cards. It happens all the time. The other option is depending on where if you're landing in Rome or Milan, which is where most people land, are definitely trains into the city, but then you have to get from the train station to.
Speaker 3: Your accommodation, like is still another step.
Speaker 1: So I like to eliminate steps, and I like to get straight to my accommodation, and that's why I book a transfer.
Speaker 4: My family come and pick me up. You still, since I have the kids, I don't want anyone to pick me up first because again I need the car seats. Yeah, and they don't have car seats in the car. And also, as you said, I'm so tired that I actually don't want to speak with anyone. But the hower and a half that takes me from Mirano Airport to my village, so we have a driver as well, comes and pick us up. It's big, it's like a multi van. We all fit in there. They have car seats, so I don't have to worry about setting up car seat. And my mom she has but she can't really put them up nicely. So when we are at home we do it. The good stuff is like I come out and they help me with luggage. And again so I indeed, because if you are by yourself or like with your husband, but you have kids and you have quite a bit of luggage or whatever, it's so good that they just they pick you up. You don't have to think about anything, so it's worth every single penny. And also they don't speak, so I can just close my eyes until I'm at my mom and I'm okay, I just want to think about that. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: I think people think transfers really expensive as well, but like you might pay maybe ten, fifteen, twenty years more, and honestly, it's worth every single scene. I honestly think, you know, I mean, unless you're really really on a budget and you're backpacking and you have a lot of spare time, this is literally the smartest thing to do.
Speaker 4: If you ask me, of course you feel backpacking, you probably are not even listening this podcast.
Speaker 3: Monica, that's not true. Actually, I've been texting my friend's daughter. She's listened to our podcast.
Speaker 1: I convinced her to go actually up to Laguria instead of going on a party boat in Croatia and she loved it.
Speaker 4: Well, Dunn, Okay, so so backpack us you're here listening as Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, we have so many different types of people listening, and I think that's what's really great actually, because we try and help no matter how you travel, We've got a way to help you, and I hopefully everyone's learned something today. So what do you think, Monica, Like, let's send everyone off on their way, that everyone who's heading off soon have a wonderful time. Hopefully you're all organized and excited and ready to go, and we wish you the very best experience in Italy. Make sure to say bon Jianna, have a go, try some words and if you want to really get into it and really speak like an Italian maybe I don't know, Monica. Just as an aside, did you see Jua Lipa's wedding in Sicily?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: I see it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she looked good.
Speaker 4: Really listener, Yeah, that the dress.
Speaker 1: Was w She speaks some Italian, I think, do U. So she's a very talented lady.
Speaker 4: How many celebrities actually do speak Italian? It's so cute. Sometimes I see some stuff coming up and then I'm thinking, oh wow, there's speak Italian. And again it's so nice to hear that. It was beautiful to speak with you. And yeah, if anyone once saw travel and they want to keep this suggestion, I think they're so precious. It's beautiful to travel, but it's beautiful to travel when you understand more about the place. So it's good when you can explore a little more, whether it's the language or not. So if you want to get in contact with me, and you want to just explore Italian language a bit. Please do I want to offer too extra session on our four weeks to Italy for your listener Katie, So for anyone in the books the four weeks to Italy with and told Italy cod check out, I'm happy to add on to extra sessions. So actually not just do the course and practice with your tutor, but you actually have more time to ask questions about the language and be specific on what you need when you are in Italy. Yes, and I think as well on your app you can also ask a question, isn't it That is like ask, yeah, what's on your app that access is.
Speaker 1: Online little ai which accesses all our information?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a hendy So yeah again, ask your question sir to me or to Katie and your trip will be amazing. I know. And please even in the comment just let us know where you're going. I'm courious to see where you're listening are going this year or next year.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I love our listeners because they're all doing the most amazing things. I just had an email from one lady who's going back to Parma and.
Speaker 3: Then she's going up to Alba and she's.
Speaker 1: Going all around Bergamot up in the north, like so really unique and different places that I love people going exploring Italy.
Speaker 3: And it's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: Really, that's why we that's why we do.
Speaker 3: What we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, Parma, I just just can as soon as you said Parma. Parma is this restaurant where they wee put your ice cream in front of you at the end of the beautiful meal.
Speaker 1: Oh my, stop it stop it Okay?
Speaker 4: Every year hopefully awfully next year. Bus year it is a bit too busy with three kids. But next year a will and I definitely will remember to the drive license.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, one bia jo. Everyone, have a wonderful time in Italy.
Speaker 4: Katie job.
Speaker 1: And that Italy Travelers is your countdown to your trip. Make sure to get the tickets, the trains, insurance and documents all organized. Learn a little Italian and get your communications and packing in order. And also don't forget to order your pickup for your transfer when you arrive. I think it's really a nice way to start your holiday. The thing that I will carry from this conversation is Monica's point that one small word, one jawn opens doores that no amount of planning. Can my friend in Pulia getting the red carpet treatment for a handful of words she barely knew? Says it perfectly. Have I go out the language, say bunjoo, audio coffee, the Italian way, enjoy Italy through all of your senses. Everything Monica and I talked about today, including our companion article to this episode, her four Weeks to Italy cause, and the little language section the two of us built into the Untold Italy app is linked to in the show notes at Untold Italy dot com. Forward slash three three two for episode number three hundred and thirty two one via Joe. If your troop is imminent, have the most wonderful time. Soak it all up and make sure to get an idea of your next Italian adventure while you are there. Next week on the pod, I'll be answering some more of your questions, but until then, it's chow for now. The Untold Italy podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content writing by the are they kg Clark, Yes, there are two of us. For more information about Untold Italy, please visit untold Italy dot com, Poty