Speaker 1: After yesterday's gloomy day of rain. But of course, when you live in Colorado, you have to automatically say, but we needed the moisture. We're going to talk to Fox thirty one's chief meteorologist, Dave Frasier about what kind of moisture totals we got.
Speaker 2: David, would have been.
Speaker 1: Great to have yesterday be a Saturday when we didn't have to go to work.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, I agree with you one hundred percent. I loved the conversation about, you know, sitting around a cup of coffee or coked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching a watching a movie, reading a book.
Speaker 2: Listen to the pitter pad of rain out on the windows and the doors and the roof and the whole soup conversation. By the way, loaded potato bacon soup is what I make.
Speaker 1: You cannot go wrong with loaded potato soup.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: There's no way to screw that soup up. It's so perfect every single time.
Speaker 2: And it's easy, Yeah, the easiest thing. Dump everything into the crock pot and enjoy. Correct. Correct.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about how productive that rain was, because moy it lasted forever and it was like a nice, gentle rain. First of all, let's talk about snow totals in the out was what do we get?
Speaker 2: So we had anywhere from two and a half around Loveland, which they were excited to see. It won't help with the skiing. They need some cold nights to get the guns running. So we saw that up on Loveland Pass and over air Loveland Ski and then we had similar reports up near Brainerd Lake off.
Speaker 3: To the west. There were some higher totals.
Speaker 2: Like Winter Park got seven inches. That was exciting. You could see it on their snowstick which is their webcam online. And then we had some other one twos and threes. There were a couple of six and a half inch reports up near Cameron Pass. Obviously up to the north along Highway fourteen, so there were some decent totals. I would say two and a half to seven inch was about what we saw, and it wasn't everywhere. Obviously, this was hugging the higher peaks, the higher terrain, and while we had our first winter weather advisory for the mountain passes, they actually did very well because this just didn't contain a lot of cold there, but there was enough at past eleven thousand to fourteen thousand feet to throw some accumulating on the peaks. So what do we get?
Speaker 1: Obviously, we just got rain here and nobody saw any snow here in the metro did they know?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, it was all rain. It was all rain. And I was telling I was telling a rod. You know. One of the great things about yesterday's rain was a lot of viewers were emailing me at the station telling me how much rain they got using their rain gagers and stuff, and they were excited about it.
Speaker 1: Wait, can I just say, like, as a weather man, that's got to be kind of fun, right, everybody rushing to tell you how much rain they got on their house on Smith Street in Denver.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, I think that's got to be kind of interesting to just see how many people are excited to share their numbers with you.
Speaker 2: When we start when we have a snow event of significance, our inbox when it comes to snow totals, when we have like a snow day and everybody's at home and the kids at school has been canceled, our inbox just explodes, Yeah, with people wanting to send us their snow measurements, their pictures of what's going on because they want us to see and it actually helps to tell the story because of our veried terrain and we know that, you know, one neighborhood can get this much and another one can get that much, and it really does help us. So yesterday I was getting a lot of emails, a lot of most of them were coming from the northern Front Range where the totals ranged. As you get up towards Fort Collins, Greeley and then up the Ice seventy sixth quarter, there were some two two plus inches there. That was the area that actually had the higher totals, and then as you came down I twenty five into Denver, there's some one inches one and a half, and then you go south of there, the numbers dropped off a little bit, but everybody in northeast Colorado and along the Front Range got it down towards Monuments about a half an inch around an inch in Castle Rock, and then you get an inch inch and a half as you go a little farther north from there. So it's fantastic. And for Denver, we had a daily rainfall record yesterday one point two, yeah, one point two eight inches. It broke the old record of eighty three hundreds back in I think twenty seventeen, and now for the month of September.
Speaker 3: And we will not get any more rain.
Speaker 2: For the month. Were hind by six tenths of an inch and now we're ahead by a half an inch. Actually a little more than half an inch. So we have done really well in September just with two storm two rain events that we had, and we're two and a half inches ahead for the year. So August, yeah, September.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about that because I was talking to a woman and I don't know if I told you this last week, but I met a woman who moved to the Springs like last year, so she's been here a little less than a year, and she said, you know, it rains every day, And I said, that's not that normal for here. Normally everything's on fire by now, so be grateful for the rain. I was going to ask you, like, this summer feels very wet and humid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, you know I always pulled before our conversations the outlooks.
Speaker 3: For the month, and here we go again.
Speaker 2: So if you'll remember, July ended up warm and dry, and there.
Speaker 3: Was some fire concerns.
Speaker 2: And then August came and the thirty day out looked for August was warmer and drier than normal, and that wasn't ended up being the case. We had two big events in August, one on the twenty sixth, one on the tenth. They both were like one point three one point four inches. We ended up with the third wettest August. It was cool, and so the long range OUTLOKD busted for August, and here in September it was the same. The outlook for September was supposed to be warm and dry than normal, but now we're half an inch ahead for the month. We won't. It's not record setting, and.
Speaker 3: The temperatures are about actually.
Speaker 2: We're one degree below normal, and the forecast of the remaining days in September are.
Speaker 3: Right about average.
Speaker 2: So I don't think we're going to be anywhere near warmer. And the out October is dry and warmer than normal, and I just don't buy it at this point because all it takes is I tell you time and time again, it only takes one event. So a thirty day average, all you need is one day like we had yesterday to bust.
Speaker 1: That thirty day right, it's just kind of interesting to watch the way our weather pattern The weather patterns this year for me have felt very strange. Not that not horrible, not like, you know, we need to build an arc or something, but it's just this summer has been different than any of the prior summers that I can remember in terms of it just as felt humid the whole summer. It is it is, you know, the rain has been consistent, like, it's just been interesting. And you've got to wonder, in the grand scheme of climate change, what all of this sort of is going to mean going forward.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and it's a valid point. You know, weather by definition is variable. It ebbs and it flows. I like to take it seven to ten days at a time. I know there will be stretches during a season summer, winter, spring, fall where things may be a little you know, a little cooler, a little warmer, a little drier, a little wetter. I always say, never give up on a season until it's done. You got to wait until the final calculations come in. However, you know, you're talking about climate change and stuff. One of the things we looked at is we are going to post another September because we have no snow in the forecast right now in the end of the month, going to post another September where we have not had measurable snow, not even a trace. And so we looked back. September is generally Denver's first measurable snow month on average through our record history going back to the eighteen hundreds, is about an inch. Well, I looked at the status yesterday. We were talking at work, and the last time we had one inch of snow, it was that big wind width that we had. You'll remember we were like at one hundred and one, and two days later the temperature plummeted into the thirties. We ended up with a winch inch of snow. That was in twenty twenty. You have to go all the way back to two thousand to find the next measurable snow. We've had one one inch snowstorm in the month of September in twenty four years. Yeah, that's it. That's it. So you have to look at that, and you have to read into that is summer gotten a little later? Here's like is Labor Day not really the end of the summer season. Those are things that climate. Climate is cyclical and it changes and you know, when we use averages, we're using a thirty year average. Obviously ten years from now that average could change, and so we have to monitor and keep an eye on that. But the weather, I agree with you, has been just perfect. Little warm stretches nineties, ninety ninety five, ninety eight, one hundred book, Here comes a cold front, here comes some races, and I just think, I look at my lawn, I drive around, I see people's you know, you know, landscaping, and I look at the natural the natural grasses that round a little bit. That's okay, we're at that time of the year. But I just think we have been in a great shape all season long.
Speaker 1: I agree Dave Frasier. I got one quick question from the text line. Why do the seven seven day temperature bar charts only show the high temperature?
Speaker 2: They're all lowe They're all.
Speaker 1: The same on the bottom, and then it shows on the bar chart where the high is. I don't know how you'd even fix that.
Speaker 2: I guess i'd need to see an example of what they're talking about. Our seven day forecast. Yeah, as low temperatures that we have white boxes at the bottom showing the overnight lows for each day, and then the high temperature is sitting on the top.
Speaker 1: Well, and they say they just show the low temp as a number, not on the bars themselves. I just think that's an aesthetic thing.
Speaker 2: Don't you think they may be talking about a bar forecast that could be different from a seven day forecast where the bars kind of go up and down depending on what the temperatures are, but the bottom stays the same. That may be something somebody created where they're just illustrating the high temperatures, so you'll see different elevations in the high temperatures based on what the high is, and then underneath that it could just be a steady stream of what the lows are and they didn't use like bars to represent the low temperatures. That's my guess without seeing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me. I think it's more of an aesthetics thing than anything else.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're late, Dave Fraser.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you again next week.
Speaker 2: My friend, I enjoyed the warm up coming your way for the week.