Speaker 1: I want you to picture a devastating earthquake like you have undoubtedly seen the footage on the news at some point, right, Oh, yeah, absolutely. The air is thick with dust, infrastructure is just crushed, and it basically looks like a war zone. But if you look closely at the aftermath of these events, you almost always notice this one detail that is frankly, deeply unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the contrast exactly.
Speaker 1: You will see one building completely collapsed, just pancaked into rubble, and right next door, sometimes literally fifty feet away, another building stands there perfectly intact, like it might not even have a shattered window.
Speaker 2: Right, And it creates this immediate I guess, cognitive dissonance. You see two identical environments, but you get totally different outcomes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the immediate assumption is usually about the architecture.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We assume the collapse building was I don't know, poorly constructed by someone cutting corners, and the surviving one was built like.
Speaker 2: A fortress, which is what anyone would think, right.
Speaker 1: But today's deep dive is going to completely flip that assumption because it is not always about how the building was built. It is often entirely about what the building was built.
Speaker 2: On, which requires a really fundamental shift in how you view structural survival. I mean, as a society, we get so fixated on the steel and the concrete above the surface, shiny stuff, exactly the visible stuff, and we completely ignore the invisible brutal physics happening right below it.
Speaker 1: And uncovering those physics is our mission today. We are exploring the science of structural survival and we're being guided by Steven L. Kramer's foundational work Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an incredible resource.
Speaker 1: It essentially is the bible for engineers trying to figure out exactly what happens in the dirt beneath your feet when the big one hits. And to set up the mechanical problem we're dealing with here, let me let me offer an analogy.
Speaker 2: Go for it.
Speaker 1: So, if you put a heavy wooden block on a solid oak table and you hit that table with a sledgehammer, the wooden block shakes a bit, it vibrates. But if you take that exact same block of wood, place it on a bowl of jelly and hit the table with the exact same force, that wood block is going to bounce wildly, it'll probably just flip over.
Speaker 2: That is, Yeah, that captures the cord a lemma perfectly, because you know, to the untrained eye, the ground just looks like the ground, it looks solid, its pavement. But to a geotechnical engineer, certain soil profiles act exactly like that bowl of jelly.
Speaker 1: So the question then becomes, well, how do you engineer for the jelly? Like, how do you mathematically calculate a building's survival when the ground underneath it is fundamentally unstable.
Speaker 2: Well, you start by capturing the reality of the wave. If you can't just you know, theorize how the jelly will behave in a vacuum, you have to measure it under immense strut actual data exactly. The entire field of geotechnical engineering relies heavily on real world data, and a prime example that Kramer uses to really anchor the science is the nineteen eighty nine Loma Prieta earthquake in northern California.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, that was a massive event. I famously interrupted the world series.
Speaker 2: Right it did. Yeah, it was devastating for the area, But from an engineering standpoint, it provided this incredible set of data. Specifically, scientists looked at two different ground motions recorded during that exact same earthquake. Okay, one reading was taken from a seismograph sitting on a solid rock outcrop, and the other reading was taken from the surface of a deep soil deposit, but relatively close by.
Speaker 1: Ah so literally the table and the jelly side by side. Yes.
Speaker 2: And this is actually where the global nature of this science comes into play, because when engineers analyze data like the Loma Prieta readings, they are pulling from a massive collaborative effort. Interestingly, in the engineering literature, Cramer's work included, you will often see both metric and imperial units used interchangeably.
Speaker 1: I noticed that it was it could be a bit disorienting at first to see meters and feet living next to each other in the same equation.
Speaker 2: I know it drives some students crazy, but it reflects the reality of the profession. I mean, the current state of knowledge for keeping buildings falling down is cobbled together from advances across the entire.
Speaker 1: Globe, right, because earthquakes happen everywhere exactly.
Speaker 2: You have seismologists in Japan, structural engineers in California, and geotechnical researchers in Europe, and they're all sharing data from their respective seismic events. If you try to standardize on just one system of measurement, you honestly alienate half the global defense effort. Everyone basically needs to be fluent in both dialects to use the data effectively.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense actually, So going back to that shared data from Luma Prieta, we have the reading from the solid rock and the reading from the deep soil. What are the engineers actually looking for? I imagine they're just comparing how hard the shaking was.
Speaker 2: Well, the intensity of the shaking is part of it, for sure, but it is much much more nuanced than that. They are comparing three specific quantifiable characteristics.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are they?
Speaker 2: The amplitude of the wave, the frequency content, and the duration.
Speaker 1: Okay, I am going to push back a little here on the complexity of this, just you know, looking at it from the perspective of someone who just wants a building to stay upright. If an earthquake only lasts, say, fifteen seconds, why do we need to dive into complex variables like frequency contents? Isn't the goal just to make sure the concrete can survive that fifteen second window of extreme violence, why overcomplicate it?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. But if you only design a building to survive the time domain that fifteen second window, you are going to completely miss the very mechanism that takes the building down. Wait really, yeah, the time domain is only half the story. To truly understand how the ground is going to respond, engineers have to analyze the frequency domain.
Speaker 1: The frequency domain, let's break that down. I am familiar with the concept of sound frequencies, obviously, but what does that mean when we were talking about dirt and earthquakes?
Speaker 2: So it requires a mathematical process called a Fouria analysis. In modern engineering, students and professionals rely on pretty heavy computational software like matt Lab to run these.
Speaker 1: Hold on Fouria analysis That sounds like something pulled from a graduate level calculus exam. What is the software actually doing to the earthquake data.
Speaker 2: Think of a raw earthquake wave as a chaotic wall of noise, like it is a messy, highly complex.
Speaker 1: Wave, just a jumble of energy, right.
Speaker 2: A Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool that takes that chaotic wave and breaks it down into its simplest components, so it turns it into a series of clean, simple sine waves, each with its own frequency.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, So it's essentially acting like a sound engineer isolating the individual audio tracks from a really noisy live concert recording. Yes, it separates the baseline, the vocals, and the drums, so you can see exactly how loud each individual element is.
Speaker 2: That is a brilliant way to conceptualize it. It shows you exactly which frequencies of vibration were present in the earthquake and how powerful each specific frequency was. And that is vital because buildings, much like tuning forks, have their own natural frequencies.
Speaker 1: Meaning a tall sky scraper naturally sways at a different frequency than say a two story house exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is where the soil, the jelly becomes the real danger. Engineers use what are called transfer functions. These are mathematical models that predict how a specific layer of soil will alter the seismic wave as it travels from the deep bedrock up to the surface.
Speaker 1: But how they actually build that function though? They can't just guess what the dirt.
Speaker 2: Is going to do, No, they can't. They have to test the physical reality of the site. Geotechnical engineers will drill deep boreholes into the earth, pull up core samples of the soil, and test them in laboratories to see what it's made of, right, to determine their stiffness, their density, and their sheer strength. Sometimes they even send artificial shock waves into the ground right there on site and measure how long it takes for the wave to travel between two points. They combine all that physical data to build the transfer.
Speaker 1: Function, and what does that function ultimately tell them?
Speaker 2: It tells them if the soil is going to act like a rogue audio equalizer.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Certain deep soil deposits will take the raw energy of an earthquake and actually amplify specific frequencies while damping others. So they turn up the base exactly. If the soil deposit amplifies the exact base frequency that the building sitting on top of it is vulnerable to, you get resonance, the swaying of the building amplifies violently, and you get catastrophic structural failure.
Speaker 1: That is genuinely terrifying.
Speaker 2: It is, but that is why understanding the frequency domain is literally the difference between life and death.
Speaker 1: Structurally, it makes perfect sense. So okay, we've established that engineers measure the surface shaking, break it down with Fouria analysis, and use transfer functions to predict the soil's behavior. But to truly understand why that wave behaves the way it does, we have to follow the wave back to its origin. We have to look downward.
Speaker 2: We have to move from engineering into pure planetary physics. To understand the wave, you have to understand the medium it is traveling through.
Speaker 1: You basically have to X ray the Earth, and the numbers involved in doing that are just staggering. Just looking at the physical makeup of our planet. In the text, the Earth weighs about five point four times ten to the twenty first power tons or four point nine times ten to the twenty fourth kilograms.
Speaker 2: It is a volume and mass that is frankly difficult for the human brain to truly process. But that staggering weight gives us a crucial engineering metric. Based on its size and mass, the Earth has an average specific gravity of about five point.
Speaker 1: Five Let's define specific gravity for a second, just to make sure we all on the same page.
Speaker 2: Sure, specific gravity is simply a way to measure density by comparing a material to water. Water has a specific gravity of one. Okay, so if something has a specific gravity of five point five, it is five and a half times denser or heavier than an equal volume of water.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the planet as a whole averages a five point five. But the s official rocks, the granite and limestone we see on the crust, the stuffs we actually drill into delay our foundations, those only have a specific gravity of about two point seventy three.
Speaker 2: Which leaves us with a massive mathematical descripant. And see right. If the crust is a three, but the planetary average is a five point five, what does that dictate about the unseen interior of the Earth.
Speaker 1: It dictates that there must be something incredibly dense, heavy, and massive hidden deep down near the core to pull that overall average up so high. We are essentially floating on a thin, relatively lightweight, fragile shell that surrounds this massive, ultra dense center.
Speaker 2: Improving the existence of that dense center is basically where seismology was born. Because you know, you obviously cannot dig a hole to the core to see what is down there. Definitely not the deepest hole ever drilled barely scratch the crust. So early scientists use the devastating power of earthquakes as a tool. A large earthquake produces an unfathomable amount of energy enough to send seismic waves entirely through the globe from one side to the other, so.
Speaker 1: It's acting like a planetary scale ultrasound.
Speaker 2: That is precisely how it works. As these seismic waves travel through the deep interior, they hit boundaries between different materials, for example, the boundary between the solid rocky mantle and the ultra dense.
Speaker 1: Outer core, and what happens when they hit.
Speaker 2: When the waves hit those boundaries, the change in density causes them to refract, to bend, or to reflect back entirely.
Speaker 1: So by placing seismographs all over the world and just waiting for major earthquakes, these early scientists were listening to the echoes. By measuring the angles at which these waves emerged on the other side of the planet, they mapped the Earth's internal layered structure without ever actually laying eyes on it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty genius when you think about it.
Speaker 1: It really is which brings us to the waves themselves, because understanding the journey of those waves is the key to designing a structure that survives them. Now, I have to admit I struggle a bit with visualizing the mechanics of this.
Speaker 2: A lot of people do.
Speaker 1: I understand surface waves like dropping a pebble in a pond and watching the ripples travel along the top of the water, But how does a wave travel through thousands of miles of solid rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a totally different mechanism than a water ripple. What you are talking about are called body waves, waves that travel through the interior body of the Earth. And there are two main types of body waves that dictate everything in geotechnical engineering, P waves and S waves.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with PE waves. These are also called primary, compressional or longitudinal waves.
Speaker 2: Right, And the mechanical concept here is compression. PA waves are essentially massive sound waves traveling through solid rock.
Speaker 1: So I picture a P wave like taking a metal slinky, stretching it out on a long table, and then suddenly pushing one end straightforward.
Speaker 2: Yes, perfect.
Speaker 1: You watch that clustered ring of energy travel straight down the slinky. It compresses the rings together and they stretch apart, which I think is called rare faction. But the energy in the rings are all moving in the exact same forward direction.
Speaker 2: That slinky analogy is the perfect visualization. The crucial detail is that in a P wave, the motion of an individual particle of rock is parallel to the direction the wave is traveling. It just compresses and expands right along its path. Okay, because it relies purely on compression, P waves can pass through almost anything. They travel through the solid rock of the mantle, and they travel right through the liquid outer core of the Earth.
Speaker 1: Okay, parallel motion like a slinky. Now, let's contrast that with the S waves. These are known as secondary shear or transverse.
Speaker 2: Waves, and these are the waves that cause the catastrophic shearing deformations in rock and soil. They are generally much more destructive to human made structures. With an S wave, the motion of the individual rock particle is perpendicular to the direction the wave is traveling.
Speaker 1: So if the P wave is the slinky being pushed forward, the S wave is like holding a heavy bull whip and snapping it. Yes, the wave of energy is traveling forward away from your hand, but the actual leather of the whip is violently moving up and down or side to side perpendicular to the path.
Speaker 2: Yes, the energy moves forward, but the ground violently shears upward or sideways, and this perpendicular shearing motion and leads to a fascinating physical limitation.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: Fluids do not have sheer strength.
Speaker 1: Wait, what do you mean by sheer strength?
Speaker 2: Well, think about it this way. You can compress water slightly under immense pressure, but you cannot shear a glass of water in half with a sideways force. Right, The water just flows around it. Because liquids have no sheer strength, S waves physically cannot travel through them.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. So when that whipping S wave hits a massive body of liquid, it just stops dead.
Speaker 2: It dissipates entirely. And that mechanical limitation is actually how those early seismologists proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the outer core of the Earth was liquid metal.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The S waves from large earthquakes would travel deep into the planet and then just vanish. They left a massive shadow zone on the other side of the planet where no S waves were recorded, proving they had hit a massive liquid barrier.
Speaker 1: That is such an elegant piece of deduction, it really is. But let's bring this immense planetary physics back to the surface, back.
Speaker 2: To the city's sure, let's grown it.
Speaker 1: The S wave has traveled from the epicenter up through the bedrock, and now it hits the soil deposit directly beneath a high rise apartment building. This is where we hit the real hazards.
Speaker 2: This is where the theory has to become life saving practice. The goal of a geotechnical engineer isn't just to memorize wave properties. It is to calculate how that violent perpendicular S wave sheer force is going to alter the physical state of the soil. And the most dangerous alteration is a phenomenon called liquefaction.
Speaker 1: Liquefaction, just the word itself sounds ominous. This is when solid, seemingly stable ground literally turns to liquid mush under the stress of the shaking. Right, But how does solid dirt just become liquid?
Speaker 2: It all comes down to water and pressure. In many deep soil deposits, the microscopic spaces between the individual grains of sand or dirt are filled with water. Okay, when that violent S wave hits the soil, it tries to compress those poor spaces but because the shake happens so fast, the water doesn't have time to drain away, so.
Speaker 1: The water gets trapped and squeezed.
Speaker 2: And as it gets squeezed, the water pressure inside the soil skyrockets. The pressure pushes outward with so much force that it literally pushes the individual soil particles apart. The dirt grains lose contact with each other, and there suddenly just well floating in highly pressurized water.
Speaker 1: So the dirt beneath the building loses all of its internal.
Speaker 2: Friction exactly, it completely loses its baring capacity. It ceases to behave like a solid and begins to behave like a heavy, viscous fluid. That is exactly what happened to those tilted apartment buildings we mentioned at the very beginning of the deep dive.
Speaker 1: Oh right, The soil liquefied, the foundation lost its support, and the massive concrete structures simply sank and tilted into the earth, just like a heavy block of wood sinking into a bowl of jelly.
Speaker 2: And the buildings right next door, the ones that survived, they must have been sitting on a different soil profile, like maybe their foundations were anchored directly into the bedrock, or they were sitting on dense, dry soil that couldn't liquefy.
Speaker 1: That is usually the case, yeah, which is why understanding dynamic soil structure interaction is so paramount For engineers. You use the fundamental physics of wave propagation to design a solution. For instance, if you are building a massive retaining wall to hold back a hillside, you don't just calculate for the static weight of the dirt. You calculate for the transfer functions. You calculate the specific gravity of the layers beneath your sight. You determine what will happen if the soil behind that wall liquefies and suddenly pushes against the concrete, not with the force of solid john, but with the massive hydrostatic pressure of a heavy fluid. You essentially design the structure to survive the exact symphony of pe waves and s waves that the local geology is going to throw at.
Speaker 2: It exactly, and when it is done correctly, it saves thousands of lives.
Speaker 1: It is deeply reassuring. Honestly, earthquakes are terrifying, chaotic forces of nature, but they aren't magic. They follow strict measurable laws. Of physics, waves, propagation, and soil dynamics.
Speaker 2: I absolutely do.
Speaker 1: Whether you are walking across a massive suspension bridge today or just sitting in your apartment listening to this, there is a very good chance that the complex principles of geotechnical earthquake engineering, the careful calculation of amplitude, frequency, content, and duration, are actively quietly keeping you safe right now.
Speaker 2: And you know, the more accurately we can map and understand the invisible earth beneath us, the more resilient our cities become. Now, as a quick review exercise for everyone listening, if you were to analyze a newly recorded ground motion, what three specific characteristics would you compare to determine how a local soil deposit amplified the shaking compared to nearby bedrock.
Speaker 1: A pop quiz, It's just a.
Speaker 2: Little one, and the answer is you'd look at the amplitudes, the frequency contents, and the durations.
Speaker 1: Amplitudes, frequency contents and durations. Perfect. Yeah, And before we wrap up today, I want to leave you with a final forward looking thought based on that mapping, just something to mull over as you walk around your city. We talked extensively about how early scientists use the massive, destructive seismic waves of giant earthquakes to map the deep hidden interior of our planet. But the earth beneath our cities is always vibrating.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it is a constant hum of kinetic energy, traffic, heavy construction, subway trains right.
Speaker 1: So here is the thought to explore how might future engineers, armed with advanced AI and incredibly sensitive underground sensors utilize those daily micro vibrations. Could the constant rumble of a subway train act as an artificial seismic wave? Wow? Can we use that daily urban noise to run continuous Fourier analyses constantly in real time, mapping and monitoring the structural integrity of the soil right beneath our feet.
Speaker 2: It is a fascinating frontier moving from just reacting to giant earthquakes to using the city's own kinetic heartbeat to predict how its foundations will react before the real quake ever hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really makes you look at the pavement a little differently, doesn't it. Next time you see a building perfectly intact while the one next door struggling. Remember, yeah, it is not always about the wood block. Sometimes it is entirely about the jelly. Keep questioning, keep learning, and we will see you on the next deep dive.