Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Jennie mac with your daily comedy news. Now I'm recording Sunday and Money back to back. So I just in my life thirty seconds ago did that list of the funniest women comedian? How is Nicky Glazer not on that list? She's like the ind comic right now. I feel like she should be on the list. When was that list from? And case you missed it. At the end of yesterday's podcast, I dove in on an article from Vogue that was called twenty of the Funniest female Comedians of All Time from March of twenty twenty five, So I'm thinking about that more. I mean, the list was okay, but should Nicky be on it? It's our silverman. Do we want to go down the SNL rabbit hole? I mean, Kate McKinnon's pretty funny, Amy Polar, Tina Fey, No, yes, Allen was a pretty good stand up, Sandra Bernhard is a pretty good stand up. Taylor Thompson's pretty funny. So I don't know. It's an odd tide list anyway. That was at the end of yesterday's show. It continues to be slow on these parts and you know, I was trying and lead off with a big name comedian in the A block because it allows me to throw a big name comedian into the episode title and then hopefully I get some drive by people sampling the show. That's how this works being transparent here. I got pretty far deep into the script today and I was like, I don't have something for the A block. So I typed Joe and Rogan into Google and found this article from Newsweek which asks is Joe Rogan losing his mojo? I'm gonna answer no, but they say. Spotify charts show that Rogan's podcast dropped from its usual top position to second place in January, overtaken by The Sean Ryan Show. It fell again to third place in February, behind Fall of Civilizations and The Midas Touched Podcast, before reclaiming second place, this time to Amy Poehler's news show Good. Hang, okay, let me explain podcast charts to you. I'll start with the Apple podcast charts because I'm more familiar with how they work. There's a recency bias based upon how many people have subscribed recently. So, for example, if you can get two thousand of your friends to suddenly subscribe on this podcast in the next hour, I will have the number one podcast in the country for at least a short while. Now, as you guys accelerate me to number one, what will happen is other people will go what's this and hit subscribe or follow on Apple Podcasts the nomenclature, and then my podcast will stay high up in the charts for a bit and hopefully a bunch of people stick around, and then suddenly I'll have a top two hundred podcast. That's how that works. So sometimes if you look at the charts at like weird times, like go on at like Sunday morning at like seven am, and you'll see something random at number one, and people know how the system works and they'll game it and people will get a flurry of subscribers, and some people known to pay people to hit subscribe. So I think with the charts you kind of have to look long term, and you know, Rogan's always there at the top. So the recency bias is part of it. There's total downloads, how much of an episode people consume, all that goes into it, but the big factor is recent downloads. Anybody in the industry will tell you that Joe Rogan is number one by a lot. It's not close. I'm not saying if you don't look at the charts like I'll look right now as I record this on Friday, So right now, Apple has it Polar, Mel Robbins, Rogan, And I'm not saying Polar is not super popular. I am not saying Mel Robins is super popular. What I am saying is no, Joe Rogan hasn't lost his mojo. The Spotify charts, I don't know exactly how they work. I assume they're similar. But also understand, despite what you read, most podcasts audio podcasts are consumed on Apple Podcasts, and Spotify is number two, and the Spotify charts can be a little wonky, and Spotify tends to promote their own things. For example, Amy Poehler's for The Ringer, which is owned by Spotify. Again, not saying Gami Polar's not good, not saying Amy Polers not number one on the Apple podcast which Spotify does not owner control. But you know that kind of thing factors into it, so don't oversteer it to the charts. Joe Rogan had fifty one and a half million downloads in February. Now let me walk you through some numbers in podcasting, a live read, you know, a host read you hear me? Do those sometimes for the gambling website is sold on a CPM model. Let's do lazy math. Say you get twenty dollars for CPM. These days, you'll get more like twenty three twenty four. If somebody wants to be in a premium environment, they'll get more. But let's do lazy math. So at twenty dollars CPM means if I want to reach one thousand listeners and ad would cost me twenty dollars. Okay, So by my account, Rogan had sixteen episodes STROP in February, and we'll accept the fifty one and a half million downloads number, and we'll accept my made up twenty dollars CPM. Fifty one and a half million downloads across sixteen episodes means three point two million people downloading each episode. At a twenty dollars CPM, that would mean each live read is sixty four thousand dollars. If he runs three per episode, that would be one hundred and ninety three thousand dollars per episode. And if you do that sixteen times, just in commercials, the show would gross three million dollars. Now we do that twelve months a year, that's thirty six million dollars a year. And I'm going to guess the numbers are higher because Joe Rogan was reportedly paid one hundred million, So my CPMs may be low. There may be more than three commercial per hour. I haven't listened, but just to give you a sense of is Joe Rogan struggling? Now? Matt Rife is going to be on the Discovery Channel's Ghost Adventures. Yeah, Wednesday, ten pm Eastern. Yeah, we'll have to pick between Ghost Adventures or Malany, Which will you pick? The Ghost Adventures crew head to Nevada to investigate the recently shuttered Whiskey Pete's Hotel and Casino, a sprawling historic property marked by murder, mystery, and unexplained activity, and is believed to be haunted by the notorious bootlegger for which it's named Whiskey Pete. Joined by special guest investigator, comedian and paranormal officionado Matt Rife, the team is immediately affected by the dark energy and ominous activity within the buildings. Sounds scary. Shehan Wang was one to get public broadcastings Where We Live podcast. They were curious how important it is to have friends like Ali Wong to go through the journey with the journey of comedy. Shang said, I think it's tough for immigrant kids to be doing stuff like this. I mean it might be a little different now, but I think pursuing a craft like this can be full of potholes and doubts and bumps on the road, you know. So when we have friends that do it together with it makes all the difference. You know, little community, it really helps a lot. It's kind of the whole reason you do it because at the beginning it all seems like what's the point. You know, you're just doing open mics at random places, from like empty rooms to launder mats, wherever you can put a microphone on a speaker. The whole way. There's always moments where you're gonna doubt yourself. That Jay Leno interview he gave to Graham Benzger, it continues to pay off if you're trying to fill your script for your daily coming to News podcast. Jay did not deny which Joe got under his skin. It is the one in Conan's Final Tonight Show monologue when Conan said much funnier than I will tell it. I just want to say to the kids out there watching, you can do anything you want in life, unless Jay Leto wants to do it too. That's a great joke I mentioned yesterday, trying to get a feel for is Jay let know a bad guy good guy? I think he's a good guy. I explained yesterday ConA thing aside a little more. This is from a different interview where Jay talking about his wife Mavis. Mavis has Alzheimer's disease. Jay says, I just try to get home every night. That's the only difference. The plane weights and I come right back. I used to stay out three or four days. I just stay out one day now two days. Most. I enjoy it. I like taking care of my wife. I don't mind it. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's okay. It's not like she's in any pain, screaming or anything. She smiles and I can see when she's pleased with something. You know, it is what it is. I'm glad it didn't happen when we were forty. You have forty good years and you have five. Kind of tricky ones, that's okay. Do I wish it never happened? Of course, You've got to find a humor in it. It's like a test. I'm glad I passed. I'm very comfortable with it. Jay has kept up his tradition of making Mavis dinner and then they watched TV together, although he says Mavis is almost totally bit written and she can't remember what happened from one episode to the next. Jay says, it's really the same thing. You just can't have a discussion or talk about things. Somehow, I've become the patriarch of the family. He pays eleven thousand dollars a month each for a brother in law and an uncle and nursing facilities. Those are real numbers. I had my mom in one, and not by choice. You know, that's something I would have never thought that I would have ever done. And you know, I like throws your curve and you wind up doing that. But yeah, it was twelve thousand dollars a month for us. Jay says, there's a lot of people affected by this. Technically I don't have to go out on the road, but to keep a sense of normalcy, he does. Leno says a nurse comes in twice a week to check her vitals, and a dentist has regular house calls to clean her teeth. Jay says, I don't know how people who are school teachers or policemen or nurses who have regular jobs do. And I'm glad I have the position I'm in so my lifestyle doesn't change dramatically. I don't have to get a reverse mortgage or anything like that. As for his recent incidents, you know there's the motorcycle accident, falling down a hill, whatever that was, Jay says, that's a great thing about being over forty. Once a man goes over forty, you can't teach him anything you never learned by your mistakes. All right, let's check in on the Sydney Comedy Festival. Lift pulled three comics once again and Alex Ward's show is called clip Clop. Don't stop the description Alex is really good at talking. She has to be because people want to do it with her all the time, strangers, neighbors, her parents, the gall the age says the show is studded with punchlines.
Speaker 3: Let's listen, okay, I want to talk about the social media ban on kids in Australia. It's very divisive. I've spoken to people who are for it, and I've spoken to people who are against it. Interestingly, I actually don't have an opinion on it because I don't have kids. But what I do have is a mom who I just spent three weeks with. And I'm just throwing it out there. But if we're going to ban all people under sixteen, yeah, I think maybe we could look at some other age groups as well.
Speaker 2: I like her. I think that's fun enough for a little long to get to it, and I was going to play a little more, but it takes even longer to get to the second joke. But I wrote nice company, which for me, the comedy snob is a high compliment. I like her a lot. So that was Alex Ward. Next up, Emma Holland. Emma's show is called Don't Touch My Trinket. The Age gave it four stars. I think they do four out of four and said Holland is an expert at pulling out the rug from beneath her audiences. I like this clip a lot. Let me give you the visual here. She rides out onto the empty stage in a scooter like you know, the stand up scooters that the kids have today. And so she's on the scooter and she's wearing a helmet. Takes the helmet off, walks over to the microphone and we'll pick it up from there.
Speaker 1: Same one. He like Facebook, marketplace, A couple of fans down the front. What's the best thing you've ever found a marketplace?
Speaker 3: A pair of earmuffs?
Speaker 1: Pair of ear muffs, virgin, best thing I've ever found a marketplace. Get this for a deal? Thirty dollars for a treadmill. It's good, right, it's a good deal. Long story short. It was a belt sander and now I'm three centimeters shorter. But it lays I'm ripped. I'm trying to get massive. I'll fight you count spell Emma without Mma.
Speaker 2: I love her. I thought that was fantastic. Emma Holland next up. And I hope my pronunciation is close here. Hey Hwang Hay's show is called white Man's Burden. The description are you ready to learn how to be whiter? Don't worry, this is a safe space. Chinese superstar Hey Huang, We're turns and character as Christopher Rice in an outrageous satshire on white culture. The clip I have here is not from that show, but from a traditional stand up show. I found Hey to be very funny. I did have to skip the first ninety seconds because the punchlines for every joke in the first ninety involved F bombs, and if I take the F bomb out, the joke gets castrated. So I found a different chunk. So here is like two or three minutes into the set.
Speaker 4: Australia has so many different types of Chinese living here, and I'm a Chinese from a modern China's family. To be very specific, my family are I'm gonna use the sea word communist, not the ausy Sea word you guys expected. Yeah, if you go to my grandparents' house, you will literally see a lot of reflags. Like to my grandma, any flag that's not red is a red flag. I'm the product one child policy. Have you guys heard about this policy? Yeah, it's very brutal and heartless policy. But on the other hand, us survivors of one child policy, a lot of us are pretty spoiled. I mean my myth I'm doing this for a living and I don't have any other backup plans. Eventually, my parents have to support me because they don't have any other choice.
Speaker 2: Very very funny there, and that is your comedy news for today. Hopefully there'll be some sort of controversy, like, I don't know, David Letterin get into a fistfight with Jay Leto and cameras could catch it, or Dave Chappelle say something, Somebody do some controversy. I'm tired of the slow news days every day, all right, see tomorrow