Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Tom Cruise is getting an oscar. Well, it's an honorary oscar. He's never won one. He has been nominated four times, twice for Best Actor for Born on the Fourth of July and Jerry McGuire, once for Supporting Actor in Magnolia, and once for Best Picture with Top Gun Maverick, but never gotten an oscar.
Speaker 2: I remember Born on the fourth of July. I did not think he was nominated for Jerry McGuire.
Speaker 1: It was a great movie.
Speaker 2: Game six and the Stanley Cup Finals tonight in Edmonton, Florida Panthers lead that series three games to two and could wrap it up. Oklahoma City took the lead in the NBA Finals with a one twenty one oh nine win over Indiana. Game six is Thursday, Angels beat the Yankees won nothing in eleven innings. They'll play again tonight in the Bronx and the Dodgers beat the Padre six to three behind hey Tani's Dodgers' debut on the mounds seven to ten first pitch, and of course, you can listen to all the Dodgers game Uh take on the Padres.
Speaker 3: Tonight first pitch is at seven.
Speaker 2: Listen to the Dodgers games on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Galvin Motors Broadcast Booth and stream all the Dodgers games n HD on that iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Trump wants a real end of the Iran Israel conflict, saying I'm not looking for a ceasefire. We're looking at better than a ceasefire, demanding unconditional surrender. Its where we kick off swamp watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar. And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing that lolleypops here we got.
Speaker 4: The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 1: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere, So that now you train the.
Speaker 3: Squat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Murvans have always been going president.
Speaker 6: They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Have the people vote you would not swamp watch. They're all countera well.
Speaker 2: Right now, President Trump is meeting with his National Security Council in the White House Situation Room and has been talking with potential different what would you say options for what's going down in the Middle East. According to CNN, there is the possibility that President Trump decides to order Air Force jets to help refuel Israeli fighter planes as they carry out the strikes over Iran. That's one level of option expected to be presented. Another option would be joint strikes against nuclear facilities inside Iran by the United States and Israel.
Speaker 1: Threatening the Iranian leader has been a new move, saying that he's an easy target and our patients is wearing thin, demanding Tehran's surrender its conflict against Israel, saying we know exactly where the so called Supreme Leader is hiding. Trump and on truth social to say he's an easy target. He's safe there. We're not going to take him out kill exclamation point at least not for now.
Speaker 3: And don't forget, he wrote, thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 2: The Israeli Prime Minister downplayed the reported disagreement with Trump over whether or not to kill the Supreme Leader. There was a report over the weekend that suggested that Israel did have a plan and had this guy in their sights, but that Trump said no because that would have made the situation that much worse.
Speaker 1: If you are playing the game of battleship, you will see that the Pentagon has shifted warplanes and an aircraft carrier, moving those around to the Middle East. They say right now, currently the moves have been defensive in nature, but of course we want to protect American troops stationed in the Middle East, about forty thousand US service members there, that we are postured defensively. According to Pa Hagsath.
Speaker 2: There is some interesting in terms of the equipment that is either in Israel or being used by Israel, and that stuff that's making its way there now. President Trump a short time ago posted on truth Social we now have complete and total control of the of the skies over Iran. Iran had good sky trackers and other defensive equipment, and plenty of it. But it doesn't compare to American maid conceived and manufactured stuff. Nobody does it better than the good old US of A.
Speaker 3: Now, the.
Speaker 2: Israelis went through and on Friday, you remember those very those overnight attacks that we were able to report on not only took out air defense systems in Iran, they took out the trucks that were carrying the anti aircraft missiles. According to a White House official, the wei that the President is actually referring to in that truth social post is, in fact the United States. That he is claiming credit for Americans having been able to tamp down is Iranian air defenses. Sorry if I misstated that Iranian air defenses, and he says again, we now have complete and total control of the skies over Iran.
Speaker 1: Swap Watch brought to you by the Good Feet Store. Are you living with foot pain? Have you been diagnosed with plant or fasci itis? Visit the Good Feet Store and learn how you can find relief without shots, surgeries or medications.
Speaker 2: We talked earlier about how college age kids come home and turn into nightmare roommates.
Speaker 3: We'll hear some more of that when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Coming up next to a food item, a product that has not changed your entire lifetime is going to undergo some changes. It's going to be jarring at first. It's going to be a very big who moved my cheese moment? Or who moved my cheese powder moment? Oh, but we'll talk about what's happening to craft coming up next. What's wrong?
Speaker 2: You're very right, you're moving my cheese already, and I don't like that. Did you say r Kelly almost odeed in prison?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Well, he had to be rushed to a hospitally overdosed on medication that was given to him by this staff in prison.
Speaker 1: Well, when you snort it, sometimes it doesn't behave the way it's intended to.
Speaker 2: His attorneys say that he suffered the overdose after prison guards deliberately moved him into solitary confinement and then gave him too much of his anti anxiety medication. So all right, federal prosecutors, I've denied this. Yeah, that's silly. The Department of Homeland Security has told staff that it is going to reverse guidance that was issued last week that agents were not to conduct immigration rates at farms, hotels, and restaurants, a decision that is at odds with the president's calls for mass deportations of anyone without legal status. ICE and Homeland Security investigators superiors said yesterday that agents must continue conducting immigration enforcement at agricultural businesses, hotels, and restaurants, despite the President saying I believe it was on Thursday that he wanted to come up with something so that it could protect those industries from being devastated. Even the Secretary of Agriculture had suggested that continued enforcement at farms and agricultural facilities could potentially harm the food supply.
Speaker 1: We talked about kids coming home from school from college and how they have made nightmare roommates in some tellings in various places of parents who say it is chaos. They come and go as they please, they stay up all hours, they sleep till two pm, they eat the food.
Speaker 2: They're out of control. Lindsey Stamper is a mom of two from Kansas. Her oldest son, Hank nineteen. He's six eight, two fifty. He's a massive human being and he's nineteen years old. She said, he left to go to college as this sweet boy who followed all my house rules, and he came home this independent man who thinks he knows.
Speaker 3: Everything, is know at all.
Speaker 2: Nerve has manifested into a disruptive pattern of staying out past midnight, failing to update mom and dad about his whereabouts after hours and sprinkling explicit four letter words into otherwise family friendly chats.
Speaker 1: There is something to be said about someone going to college and coming back, even that first time, and you can't tell them anything. They have been exposed to the world. They are global, they are cultured, and they know it all.
Speaker 2: Her biggest fear, by the way, is that the fifteen year old's son that she's got would look at his big brother and think that's the way you're supposed to act as a as a college freshman. So we were asking if that's ever happened, if you ever had kids that kind of came home for the first time in college or second time whatever, and just took full advantage of a hotel mom and Dad.
Speaker 6: I can't wait when my kids leave. They act like it's a five star hotel and they leave a mess and then it's just my mom, see you next time, love you. So yeah, not my favorite, but I at least like that they come home, So there's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can also set some ground rules. There's nothing wrong with ground roles.
Speaker 7: Gary Shed and my kids that already kind of flew the coop. They're out of here. But I'm curious to know is how many of those parents that have their children coming back, you know, from college, and complain about them, are blaming themselves for the way they brought them up.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: That's a little bit. I don't think anyone should be sitting and blame You've got kids in college and they're coming home to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an okay thing.
Speaker 7: Jerry Shannon. How about the opposite of the bad roommate.
Speaker 1: When you come out of a Marine Corps boot camp, you cannot stop hating.
Speaker 8: Your discipline is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: You can't stop fixing stuff.
Speaker 7: I had to be told a few times, stop relax, enjoy You're not in boot camp prettymore.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 3: That'd be quite a nice surprise.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when they come home for the first time after being away from college, nothing changes. They still do their own laundry, they can still cook for themselves. Hey, maybe while they're back they should cook for their parents. They should still do chores. They don't live there for free. I'm probably guessing too that their mom and dad are paying for their college, so pay it forward. Help out around the house, do the yard work, take out the trash like you should be doing easy easy.
Speaker 2: That's a that's an advanced move for an eighteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Unded kid, like I don't even do that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, and there's a huge difference between knowing what would be good.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what you should be doing. If you're college age and you're coming home, you know how to behave you know that you probably shouldn't be out till three im and it'd be okay without you telling your parents, Hey, I'm gonna be out late tonight or what have you. Don't wait out, you'd be courteous. You should be courteous. Of course, life is different. You are an adult and things have changed and you've gotten this taste of freedom and it feels so good and you feel so adults. But yeah, just don't be a d I think it goes back to the Golden.
Speaker 3: Rule, and even that is hard to do when you're that age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it comes naturally, and you gotta go out of your way to do the nice things.
Speaker 1: I love watching the video of the bear in Monrovia meeting the dog. I mean, it's unfortunate that it happens in the house. The bear is able to get access inside the house. But the bear and the dog are like, hey, what's up? What's up? What are you all about? You're bigger, Oh you're smaller. Oh okay, let's let's sniff each other. Okay, cool, you're cool, We're good, right, Yeah, I love it. It's so cool, all right.
Speaker 2: A couple of quick wellness stuff segments to get into, including the change to your food supply.
Speaker 3: For a lot of people, this is their entire food chain.
Speaker 1: Yes, speaking of those college kids. College kids still live off Kraft mac and cheese.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was in college. That's when easy Mac came out. Easy come its own cup, Yeah, comes in its own cup. It's a game changer, a game changer.
Speaker 2: Okay, whoa. I don't think I've seen you this excited. It's the Hall of Fame game.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a perfect little meal.
Speaker 2: You're but you still had the not cup of noodles, the ramen, right, sure, okay, sure, it was like nineteen cents a pack.
Speaker 3: Or then you had to.
Speaker 1: Get the hot water and you gotta wait and it's a whole thing that.
Speaker 3: Oh how awful the hot water. Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am sixty.
Speaker 3: He did the dating game.
Speaker 1: The dating was that the one where they had videos from people that they would look at the video and then choose based on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was that the dating game?
Speaker 1: That sounds about right, But you get like, you know, Dunmber one, number two, number three, and you'd watch their little twelve connection Love Connection. I love that show.
Speaker 2: Where they would select one of the three from a series of videotapes.
Speaker 3: Wows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, studio audience votes yes which they would find most suitable, right.
Speaker 1: And then they go out with both of them and then they come back and you get the tea something like that. That was a great show. They should do that again, Love Connection. I would love for us to host that show, love putting it out there in the universe.
Speaker 2: In the universe, it is now in the ether that at some point in the future we may host.
Speaker 1: And the same bit like video taped or whatever. You send it, you tape, you use your phone and you do a video, sure, and you send it in and then uh live studio audience, we go over the videos they pick. I mean, and if I remember correctly, it was kind of cool and cutting edge back in the day. They had some sort of button at their seat in the studio audience where you'd pick a B or C and they would reach forward and they'd press whatever button, and then it would appear which percentage of the audience voted for which person, and some of the dudes or gal's got like zero percent of the audience, and it was I was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 3: No, like a rotten tomatoes score on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally that well a couple of stories that we are following. Of course, Israel claims to have killed a top runny. In general, it's been trading more strikes between Israel and on. President Trump left the G seven summit in Canada last night to deal with this conflict between.
Speaker 3: Israel and Iran.
Speaker 2: We are expecting maybe some updates out of the Situation Room. I don't they're not going to hold a news conference necessarily, but we know that President Trump is meeting with the National Security team right now of the State Department is giving an update on the situation in the Middle East, saying things like that the Department is working twenty four to seven to make sure that Americans in the Middle East are safe.
Speaker 3: All of that going on.
Speaker 2: We had mentioned that we know that there are some military assets that are making their way to the Middle East. We'll talk more about that tomorrow, of course, as we get some more information.
Speaker 1: We talk about how things never change, some things like McDonald's, right, we're talking about the McChicken sandwich yesterday, French fries, McDonald's French fries, things like that. You know, the Burger King has menu has waffled a bit. The whopper today is not the whopper of what it was in nineteen ninety four. Certain things at the grocery store that have changed and evolved, But there's certain things at the grocery store that are exactly the same as they were back when you were a kid. And I would argue that four of those things are Kraft mac and Cheese, Heinz, Ketchup, Jello and Capri Sun. Those are all pretty staple e where you know what you're gonna get. Sure it's the same as has always been. It's comforting that it's the same. That's all changing. I'm gonna let you deliver the bad.
Speaker 3: News, okay.
Speaker 2: Pedro Navio is the Kraft Heines North American President, in a news release that came out early today, said while the vast majority of our products use natural or no colors. We've been on our journey to reduce our use of artificial colors across the remainder of our portfolio. The FDA currently permits the use of several petroleum based synthetic dyes in their food. In our food, I should say, and they're often used to make food and beverages brightly colored and appealing to children, you know, because we're all children. These additives governments and nonprofit organizations have long been raised, long raised concerns over are now facing government scrutiny due to the potential negative effects on animal and human health, including the possible increased risk of cancer and neuro.
Speaker 3: Behavioral issues in some children.
Speaker 2: I will say this, the mac and cheese that's made by Craft has been die free for nine years.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you.
Speaker 2: Didn't notice Yellow five and Yellow six were removed from Kraft mac and Cheese back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: I will say this, the whole brightly colored orange powder that appeals to kids. I did not know what color that powder was because it doesn't come out that color once you're done mixing it with the butter and the milk. But I mean, for me, actual boxed Craft mac and cheese was like making a you know, chateaubriand like that was an advanced move because you had to have a pan and a stove and butter and milk. Like I was more of this easy mac type person where you just add the water. Michelle, by the way, produced this within second second of us salvating over the thought of easy Mac.
Speaker 3: Cooks.
Speaker 1: In three and a half minutes, just had a little water, throwing that cheese and boom the light and a cup.
Speaker 3: The company's announcement comes about two months.
Speaker 1: Nutritional information on these Oh.
Speaker 3: Surprise, there is none.
Speaker 2: Two months after, federal health officials said that they would work with the food industry to phase out the use of these petroleum based food dies by the end of next year.
Speaker 3: In fact, Health secret Mary Robert F.
Speaker 2: Kennedy Junior, said, we're going to get rid of the dies, and then one by one, we're going to get rid of every ingredient and additive in food that we can legally address. The Consumer Brands Association has defended the food industry's current ingredients. The group's CEO said ingredients used in American's food supply have been rigorously studied and have been demonstrated to be safe, which is ironic because, as we've said many times, a lot of the food additives that are quote legal in the United States are not legal in other countries. And there are at least anecdotal stories about people traveling throughout Europe, for example, and eating the simple diet that they would otherwise eat here in the United States. They go and eat cereal or bread or whatever, and they end up losing weight and they end up feeling better despite the fact that they're pounding a couple thousand salaries every day. Because you want to go to Europe and eat, they don't feel loaded down the same way Americans feel, which.
Speaker 1: I I don't know, because you're walking around all day.
Speaker 2: True, you're more potentially more active because you're on vacation in the first place.
Speaker 1: Right when you get to Hawaii, are you going to run marathons?
Speaker 2: I talked to a friend over the weekend who said he woke up every day and his wife made him walk six miles every morning.
Speaker 1: Six miles. Yeah, but you're on the beach.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 1: Six miles is a lot, but yeah, you can get up and walk on the beach for at least three miles something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do have a couple hours bike rides and hikes planned.
Speaker 1: Perfect. That's great. Don't worry. I'm not worried.
Speaker 3: You know, I know exactly where that was going.
Speaker 1: I didn't already rent a van to take you to Houston in check the road Listen, the summer rental raids can get crazy if you don't get out in front of them. Doctor Now may or may not have a window in mid July.
Speaker 3: Well, it'll take away all to drive there.
Speaker 1: But is that show still on?
Speaker 2: Technology of today would allow us to do the show from the van every single day?
Speaker 1: Is that show still on?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it forever.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's definitely on. I don't know if they're producing new episodes.
Speaker 1: And also follow up question, was Doctor Now like the only doctor that they used or those the only episodes I saw? Or is it all Doctor Now? And where is he now?
Speaker 3: The ones I know are all Doctor Now? Right?
Speaker 1: Is he okay? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He's probably probably fine. You probably just got tired of it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that show is still on? Speaking of well, the best thing to do when you watch that show eat eat. Oh my god, how could you not sorry? Because all you're hearing is the same thing with like the Biggest Loser, or the same thing I feel when I want to read the Hunger Games books. All you're hearing is somebody saying you have to limit, limit, limit, You have to eat boiled chicken, have water, eat one piece of broccoli, and like your human react, my human reaction is I eat all the food right away.
Speaker 2: It goes back, It goes back to your caveman days where you're afraid you're not going to find your next meal. You can't tell me to limit it. I gotta, I gotta, I gotta stock up. Yes, speaking of which, the wellness stories will continue. Will tell you how to drink coffee in a healthy way. And the thing that some people have been eating has now become a.
Speaker 3: It's not a comfort food, but it is served up in a cafe. We'll explain. We come back.
Speaker 1: Doctor now is eighty Yeah, Yeah he's from Tehran.
Speaker 3: Yes, I knew that too, now a Zardan, Yes, yes, all right.
Speaker 5: You you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Corrections and retractions.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, somebody said something wrong.
Speaker 8: Thank you Gary for the shout out to Game six Stanley Cup Finals. But it's actually in Sunrise, Florida this evening, not Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Panthers could win the Stanley Cup in front of their home audience, that'd be good.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that was a necessary corrections and retract I mean, it's hockey. It's not like it's you know.
Speaker 3: Whoa football whoa whoa whoa. There are a lot of hockey people out here.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Love Connection, where old fashioned romance meets modern day technology where you hear all the intimate details of a first date. And now here's the host of Love Connection.
Speaker 1: But find me a Panthers fan or find me an Edmonton fan? What do you mean out here?
Speaker 3: I have a good friend.
Speaker 10: Really, hey, guys, it's how did that work? I have no Hey, guys, it's Mike. I wanted to comment about the Love Connection game show. I had a family friend who went on it had a great time with his date, but the producers needed a bad date, so they had to act like their date sucks when in fact it was great. Anyway, that's how production works.
Speaker 2: I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes uh, sometimes two people go on the same date and walk away with very different versions of how it went.
Speaker 11: Hi, Gary and Channon, I love your show. I wanted to let you know I was on a love connection and that tape show followed me for years. I would get phone calls from people, I just saw you on television again up to about nine years after it happened. I don't know if it was a good thing I did or a bad thing I did. Oh, by the way, he really stuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was even as a kid watching that. You know, there was some real boobs on that show where you're like, oh, man, that's the that's the guy these ladies have to go out with, or vice versa.
Speaker 2: It's also late eighties, early nineties. Dudes didn't that was not the best time for dudes.
Speaker 1: What was the best time for dudes?
Speaker 2: Uh, nineteen forty six, seven forty eight, Okay, good stretch there in the early sixties.
Speaker 3: And then nineteen seventy three when you were born.
Speaker 2: A new study suggests that coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee, daily coffee habit could be cutting your risk of dying early buy up to seventeen percent However, it's not just coffee.
Speaker 3: It's just coffee. You cannot put anything in.
Speaker 1: It, black coffee or coffee with very little added sugar and saturated fat. Have you ever been to not to do an ad. I'm not doing an ad, but I had it for the first time. Fills coffee.
Speaker 3: I think I have.
Speaker 1: Holy hell, there's one you did? Yeah, Oh my god, do you love it?
Speaker 3: I'm actually miss making the coffee. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: It looks like they it's a cool place to work, like people are super into it and take pride in their stuff there. I went to one for the first time and it just I had it whatever. I think it was tosorro tosra, you know, with a little cream, a little sugar. Because I'm a cappuccino person, I walk in and I'm just like, oh, okay, so I just get the coffee. Just you know what, it's coffee, coffee cool. I'll just do it. However they make it, however they recommend. It was life changing. Why it was so good, I have no idea, but it tasted so good. I felt like I had ingested rocket fuel. I needed something to do the rest of the day. I needed like drawers to organize or something. But it was so good and the people were so nice in there. Of course Kiana worked there.
Speaker 2: They said that the benefits greatest benefits for people drinking coffee were those who drank two or three cups a day. They had a seventeen percent lower risk of dying. Even those who drank less than a cup a day also saw an eleven percent lower risk of dying early. Again, it had to be black coffee or with very little stuff put in it. Those little non dairy or things you can leave on the counter kind of those things are not good. I'll just say that they're not good.
Speaker 1: My brother uses that like flavored creamery, whatever the flavor is, and he pours probably about I don't know how much, but too much into his coffee.
Speaker 2: If you get the stuff that's normal, that's made from actual milks, it tastes fine, not still not great for you because it's got a lot of sugar and stuff on there.
Speaker 3: But I just like my.
Speaker 2: Coffee like I I just like my coffee black.
Speaker 1: You can go ahead and hit the thing, Elmer.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.