Speaker 1: It's night Sime with Dany. I'm telling you easy Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Pal Griffith, thank you very much. By the way, if I could just take a moment here that tomorrow night at nine o'clock, we'll be talking with Massachusetts State Senator Nick Collins about the controversy over Boston's tax rate and the fight that he has been involved in with the WU administration. And Nick will try to break it down for us so we can better understand what is at stake and that dust up between the mayor mayor of WU and State Senator Nick Collins. Collins had won this fight and it's one that frankly, I need to understand a little bit better. Talk with Nick Collins today, and we will have him on tomorrow night at nine o'clock. Then at ten o'clock that I'm going to be talking with Robert Charles. We had him as a guest a few weeks ago. Very interesting background in terms of public service. He's a fellow, grew up in the state of Maine, lives now in Maine in retirement. Has written a book called Cherish America, and I think it's something particularly in view of what transpired early this morning in New Orleans. We all should cherish America and maybe this will set the tone for twenty twenty five here on nightside. So those are two guests coming up tomorrow night, and I hope you will join us and talk to either of them. In the meantime, we are talking about the terror attack, clearly an ISIS motivated attack. At this point, I know that we need to wait until all the information is in. We don't know if this individual was a lone wolf, although frankly, at this point it would seem that he very well may have. Although it's impossible to think that in this country, the way in which we're all connected, that the authorities cannot again with respect to the Constitution, with all due respect to the Constitution and to privacy rights, if people are making frequent trips to ISIS websites, unless they're a college professor or a student who's doing a thesis on it, or an intelligence agent, what are they doing there? Just as if there's people making frequent trips to I don't even know if there are sites for the KKK or whatever. I do believe that that is a legitimate law enforcement activity. And it again, if you want to go and check out a public website. I think that you surrender some of your constitutional privacy rights. I know my friends in the ACL you will disagree. Maybe my good friend Harvey's Silverglate might disagree. But I think we have reached a point in time where it's almost predictable. It's almost predictable. Back to the call as we go, Let's go to Sandra down in Carver. Sandra, welcome back to night Side, your first call of the year. How are you, Sandra?
Speaker 3: Good? How are you? I'm glad you're feeling better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you have to feel better after what I went through, and we'll talk about that maybe later on, if not tonight, tomorrow night. Go right ahead. How are I hope you have been spared? Whatever this was that I dealt with in the last few.
Speaker 3: Days, Well, I had w b Z on all day, so I've been listening to it. Yeah, you know. And as far as your cold, yeah, there has been a very bad respiratory cold going around with a lot of chess issues.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. Yeah, believe me, I can speak with firsthand knowledge. So but we'll get to that later. Talk to me. Talk to me about New Orleans. What's your.
Speaker 3: A lot of people have said, you know what, a lot of stuff. But I just want to remark that you had said that he lived in a shabby trailer park with goats and animals, and I just want to point out that he is one of our veterans and that's not too acceptable if he can't afford any place to live. However, that's not the main thing. A lot of veterans are coming back very disillusioned. But he also has a Mid Eastern name. Even though he was born here. You don't know what exactly you know his family is like, or what they converse about, and whether that had something to do with it. I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's early. Let's just agree that it's early in terms of what his status is as a veteran. Obviously we have to recognize it. Apparently he was deployed to Afghanistan for at least one year. I think it was two thousand and nine to twenty ten. But there are a lot of veterans who come back and find themselves in difficult circumstances. I think that obviously, you know veterans who come back and find themselves dealing with alcohol issues or drug issues. There should be a plethora of programs available for veterans who find themselves in that situation. There should be no homeless veterans. This guy, apparently, as of twenty twenty one, had left the military and had started some sort of a real estate company in Houston, Texas. You can see it on the internet. It's pretty available, and apparently didn't do well with that and went through a couple of bad divorces and found himself in a situation of bankruptcy and was living in pretty squalid conditions. I don't know what the Veterans Administration can do for those sort of maladies. I don't think they can turn around and say to uh, you know, veterans who are bankrupt, look, come on in and we're going to set you up in a successful business. I know. And that's separated apart from what this guy did last night.
Speaker 3: I mean, right, totally right. I'm not I'm not saying that that's acceptable. But there's been a bit of rhetoric lately against their allies and people who are listening to this and that, you know, you don't know who, you know, what makes people a trigger?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: I know some Canadians believe that Trump is in with Pewton. There are some that have that feeling, and I've talked to some of them, so I know that that's what they're feeling and.
Speaker 2: Connect how do you how do you connect that to this self?
Speaker 3: Because it riles people up. There are people getting riled up by it, you know, so that's all.
Speaker 2: You people can get. People have a right to get riled up. We get riled up about a lot of stuff. But what I'm suggesting is if this guy was radicalized to the point that he's a supporter of ISIS. I mean, as someone who's in the military above all should know that ISIS was the group that was beheading journalists and people with whom they disagree. That's a nasty organization. You know, We're not talking about the Knights of Columbus here. We're talking about ISIS.
Speaker 3: And I just want to share this too. One of your callers said they never hear anything like this in China or Russia. Well, China and Russia gets rid of their enemies. They don't like anybody to disagree.
Speaker 2: With no, and no one wants to live in China. In this country, I guess there are some people who do decide to go live in those countries which people have a right to. But look, that's not what I want. But my question that I raised earlier is do you agree with me that people who are going to these isis sites are really the same as people who are going to kitty porn sites.
Speaker 3: Mean, I believe that they're extremely dangerous. And I think the Internet, yeah, it's a nice thing to have. But I don't even have a computer. I'm talking on a land phone. I just understand that.
Speaker 2: But my question to you is this, if if somebody is attracted to kitty porn sites, okay, or if they're attracted to isis sites, something's cooking there. That's not good in my opinion. Right if it's some social scientist who is trying to figure out, you know, the problems with you know, kitty porn, that's a different story. But someone's going there for their own entertainment or edification, or someone's going to isis sites for their own edification, their own their education. I think that they have they have put up red flags, and those red flags need to be monitored. Right with that totally, you know, And that's all I'm trying to say. What can we what can we do from this? We can't bring back the dead people. They're gone. We can't bring back this guy and find out what really was going on in his head. He's dead, right, I'm just trying to come up with some sort of a proposal. Now, my again, my my, my friends in the American Civil Liberties Union and even my real friend Harvey Silverglate would probably agree, would disagree with me, But I think that, you know, we could draw some lines. I mean, people will say, well, you hot, where do you draw a line. I'll draw a line on kiddie porn and on at isis sites.
Speaker 3: Right. I agree with that because you do have to protect the country and this obviously this guy slipped through the cracks, and you know, you have to protect the country. And I used to donate to the ACLU, small donations. I don't anymore ever since they tried to take down across in Middleborough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's that's more important to them than than And they would defend the rights of somebody to go to kitty porn sites, and they would say, well, you know, just because they go to kitty porn sites, that doesn't mean that they're, uh, they're going to assault children. Well, you know, I mean that's kind of the next step in my opinion, you know. But hey, if any of my a cl you friends want to call tonight and disagree with me, that's fine. Sandra, Thank you so much for Collin. It's always great to hear your voice.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and have a good night, bye bye, and.
Speaker 2: A happy New Year to you and yours.
Speaker 3: Thanks Andra, Oh, thank you you too.
Speaker 2: But a break. I got Shane and Bob and Boston got one line at six one, seven thirty, and I got one line. It's I got two lines at six one seven nine thirty. I think this is an important topic. Not what I expected to do this morning when I woke up, not even what I expected to do in the middle of the day as we plotted the program tonight. But I think it's it's something that needs to be talked about. And I think that I assume the government has to be monitoring the ISIS radical sites. I would hope, I would hope, But how does this guy never get on the radar? Fifteen Americans are dead tonight for making the mistake of being on Bourbon Street at three o'clock in the morning celebrating New Year's Eve. Being back on nightside, right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WITBZ the news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phones, Let's go to Shane and Boston. Shane, appreciate your patience. You are now next on Nightside. Welcome Shane, Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: How are you, my Dan?
Speaker 5: I was hoping I might be able to kind of pivot the conversation towards the state of mental health in this country, particularly from my perspective as an insider.
Speaker 2: By the way, can I get you to speak directly into your mouthpiece because you're you're sounding like you're a little off your mouth piece.
Speaker 5: I'm commuting. I'm commuting at the moment, So I apologize. I've been uh and I say this with no you know, Joy a rising star in the arena homelessness, working in a shelters and their homes and whatnot in the last several years, and I've seen the kind of care that folks that have, whether it's psychiatric or behavioral issues are at least at least within Massachusetts. I'm not speaking across the entire the US, just within the out Boston metro right. And my biggest concern, and this has come up two uh you know, the folly of clients as well as uh myself getting injured is we have a large workforce of mental health professionalists that don't communicate on a saying the first native tongue language as their clients. So if their client is off baseline and making you know, threats, or perhaps speaking in a foreign tongue like perhaps they typically speak English and all of a sudden they're speaking, you know, Arabic phrases.
Speaker 2: So how do you how do you relate that? How do you, Shane, how do you relate your experiences dealing with mental health to this situation in the way I.
Speaker 5: Feel horrible for the families that have to, you know, wake up today and you know, here are the worst news in the world. But I also, you know, my heart goes out to any suffering veteran who whose mind isn't in the right place. And I want to see people get the best mental health care possible in this country. And I was curious what your take was on how is it possible to integrate people who are not from this country trying to enter the field and being the majority workforce dealing with well find.
Speaker 2: The connection Shane that I'm having trouble with is this guy who did this in New Orleans is a forty two year old American citizen, I believe born in Texas.
Speaker 5: So talking about the people that would be looking after him in a potential psych hospital and whether or not he's getting you know, adequate care or whether he's just getting kind.
Speaker 2: Of what I'm saying is what I'm saying is he's he happens to have an Arabic name, but but he's probably as American as apple pie. You know, been in the military for ten years.
Speaker 5: Perfect English. I'm thinking if he had, then he probably speaks perfect English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he's saying us, boy, if he.
Speaker 5: Lived in Massachusetts, there's a good chance that he was to enter facility to you know, maybe get his head kind of screwed on straight. He wouldn't be able to speak to anyone that could relate to him on a you know level where they could communicate as if you know, Well, what should I'm trying to get at was that if this if this guy was somebody who had just moved here and had had no English faculty or facility, I'm just this, this is the extreme.
Speaker 2: This is not somebody who is who's gone through through a bad experience and is not doing well. This guy has has after having served I think it was about twelve years in the military, has come out and they mowed down innocent Americans with an ISIS flag flying off the back of his truck.
Speaker 5: Right, And we're all products of our environment. I'm sure this individual has PTSD on top of, you know, underlying a latent mental health issues that I don't know how you can make that.
Speaker 2: Well. Look, there's a lot of people who have PTSD, but they're not running down And first of all, there's no suggestion of that. Go look at some of the videos. He was a He had a real estate company that he found that he sounds like, you know, your real estate agent who might live next door to you. My question, here's the question I'm trying to get at, Shane, is there are people out there who are being radicalized, not you or not me, but are going to dark web sites. On the dark web ISIS sits, and there's bad sites of all different points of view. I think that once people find themselves frequenting whether it's a kiddy porn site, an ISIS site, or some sort of white racist, white supremacist site, that's a red flag and we got to start talking to those people and saying, what are you doing on these sites? You know, we're monitoring what you're doing, and we're keeping an eye on you. This guy apparently felt he could do whatever he wanted, including killing fifteen people on Bourbon Street last night. I don't think it's a communication problem. And I think the point you're making in another context might be perfectly make perfect sense, but it doesn't work for this this particular program here. Do we need more people helping people? Yeah, absolutely, we're not going to disagree with that.
Speaker 5: That's what I was getting at is what if this individual had, you know, tried to reach out for help and given the given the atmosphere and the climate that I've seen in Massachusetts, they would more or less be stuck getting pleasantries, and they.
Speaker 2: Would I don't think that someone who's going I don't think if I'm going to an ISIS site and I'm having thoughts about renting the truck and driving it down the street and killing as mary as many Americans as I can as possible. I don't think if I go to a mental health site that I'm going to probably say that. But even if I do, I don't know what you do with a person under those circumstances. I think, if anything, that.
Speaker 5: I had a client threatened to bring a gun into work less than a month ago. We didn't give him his file and he was born in this country.
Speaker 2: So what did you do with him? What did you do with him?
Speaker 5: We are monitoring him as closely as possible, we are.
Speaker 2: You know, did you report? Did you did you report to his thought to his work site that they should be concerned.
Speaker 5: So this is a homeless individual, then, oh.
Speaker 2: So what was So he's homeless, but he's going to bring a gun into his work site.
Speaker 5: He's going to bring a gun into a shelter that he lives in.
Speaker 2: Did you tell the shelter that this guy had told you that he was bringing he might he was having thoughts about bringing a gun into into the shelter.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's me that would be getting shot at, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well that's great. So you did the right thing and hopefully the guy can get some help. I'm up on my ten thirty news break Chaine. So I got to let you go. Thank you for your call. Please, this is your first time calling my show.
Speaker 4: No it's not.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well come back more often. Okay, thank you very much, appreciate you your effort. Here comes the news coming back right after.
Speaker 1: That night Side Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phones we go. Bob is in Boston. Bob, welcome, next to a nightside go right hit Bob.
Speaker 4: Yes, good evening, Dan. I feel bad that I haven't spoken to you in a couple of years. How have you been.
Speaker 2: I've been doing great. I hope you've been doing well too. I had a little bit of a I don't know what it was, bronchitis or something for a couple of weeks, but I timed it so I had that on my vacation. So I'm all set, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I really like you, and I think you're a nice gentleman, and I want to wish you and everybody at WBC Radium ten thirty a very, very happy and healthy new year. But focus on the topic. It scared the hell out of me when I saw on TV. And when Donald Trump gets reelected on January twentieth, he needs to really buckle down and think about this and spend more money on public safety with the FBI and local officials. Okay, we need to keep America safe. And the problem is is that there was so many terrorists of people that have mental health problems and they're not like the other Juman said, they're not getting professional help mental health and mental illnesses and disorder. It's the illness of the brain and there's not enough professional help that people can get. I personally have gotten a lot of help in this common wealth. I think Governor Mary Heally is an outstanding, remarkable woman. She's joined the best she can to keep by citizens of our commonwealth safe and sound. I think if when the president gets re elected, he really needs to things serious out having a chief Executive of public safety and keep this KATCHI safe so people like this and things like this don't happen again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very he has, as you know. I think what you mean is when he is reinaugurated. He has already been reelected. I'll reinaugurated on January twentieth, and I think that that he's going to take some steps which will hopefully tighten things up a little bit. Bob. Simple as simple as that, Bobby, sound great, You got don't be a stranger.
Speaker 4: Come back and I've been to recovery away from alcohol and drugs for two years, almost two years. And there was a big write up about a week or so ago about addiction and the Bosston Globe. And I just want to say to you, Dan, I'm an animal lover like you do you happen to have another dog or no?
Speaker 2: No, but I get to babysit for both of my kids, who are both married. They have dogs. My daughter has a beautiful Corgi named Mustard, and I'm babysitting this week for really the Wonder Dogs was a shorty that's great.
Speaker 4: I just want to say one last thing and I'll let you go. My mother. I lost my mother almost five years ago, and I'll tell you, damn, when you lose your mother, it's like losing your best friend. And I just want to say, you know, I personally have got a lot of professional help from people are meant to help. I want to quickly ask you why didn't excover William were out close someway the state mental hospital stat of the Commonwealth was just to save the state money or.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of those hospitals actually were also closed by Mike Doucacas. There was a de institutional.
Speaker 4: Mike do concress, I think Governor Mark Heely is joined a great job, and let's keep this Commonwealth America safe and look out for each other. And I think everybody out there they're gonna walk a walk on the streets. They should walk in groups and say something that somebody if something like this is going to happen.
Speaker 2: And we get people to react to what you have to say. Best of luck, congratulations on your recovery.
Speaker 4: All right, you have a good.
Speaker 2: Let me go to gym in Kansas City. Gym in Kansas City. Next on nightside, Jim Groight.
Speaker 6: Ahead, Dan, I think for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Right back at you.
Speaker 6: Happy new Year, Thank you, Happy New Year. How are you.
Speaker 2: Feel a little better than I did a couple of weeks ago. What's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 6: Jim? Three things? Well, first of all, like even saying I would be very surprised that if they did an autopsy on this guy, that they don't find massive amounts of tetrahydro cannabinall in his blood and fatty tissues marijuana. For those of you from your wenda.
Speaker 2: Well there's no suggestion of that. But if they do, hopefully we'll they'll make it public.
Speaker 6: Right there never is They never say it. But I will say over and over. I've said it many times, so again and again. That stuff is. They don't make that stuff for kids. It's serious stuff. So you know, you know, I'd be very surprised that they don't find a lot of that. And the other thing is he came across the border. Well, whether he's illegal or illegal, he did across the border.
Speaker 2: Jim, Jim, what he didn't come across the border?
Speaker 6: You say he did not?
Speaker 2: No, he was born, he's an American citizen.
Speaker 6: But see you you see, you're not. I listened to w w L from New Orleans all day long. Gooday, and it's been since swept under the rug. But that truck, I don't know whether he was in it or not, but that truck just came across the border an Eagle Pass.
Speaker 2: Very jell me said, let me help you out on that. Okay. You know, you know me, Jim, I like I spend my day prepping okay myself is that there was some reports that that truck came across the border. I believe it was November sixteenth from Eating Pass, Texas. What I have found out tonight. Matter of fact, one of my callers informed me about something that I had never heard of. Have you ever heard of a website called Toro t u R?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And what does that what to do? As far as you understand.
Speaker 6: It, I never really did. I kind of thought it was like a mobile app, but it's it's just a way to It's kind of like a bed and breakfast only instead of renting somebody's house beyond their car.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, So therefore, what that what that means is that I don't know. I assume the FBI is going to look at the history of the truck, So there could have been somebody, Uh, this guy rented the truck that he destroyed in killing fifteen people. I assume I believe he rented it in Houston and he drove yesterday, rented it yesterday, and he drove to New Orleans yesterday. Now, well, it could have. But the point I'm trying to make, Jim, is that the truck could have been rented by other people, maybe somebody who decided to drive to Mexico. Let's see what they come up with. But I just on his on his status. He's an American citizen who served about twelve years in the US military and actually was deployed to Afghanistan from I guess most of two thousand and nine, two thousand and nine and into twenty ten. If anything, this case sounds to me more like the Nadal Hassan case out of Wood, Texas.
Speaker 6: Into one thing that came to mind, and you informed me that what's his namely not part in which I was kind of wondering about that, but here's there's my third thing, and you kind of touched on it. You said, let's see what they come up with. One of the things that I heard when I was listening on WWL all day today was the there's the chief of police or prosecutor somebody by the way with the w.
Speaker 2: W elis those in the audience. That's the New Orleans, very fine New Orleans radio station.
Speaker 6: Very go ahead, Yeah, they're okay. Well, anyway, with the guy, I don't know what he would but he kept saying, I'm gonna keep my mouth set for a while, but he said, if they don't come out with all the details pretty soon, I'll spill the beans. So he must know a lot about what's going on, what went on.
Speaker 2: I have no idea who that was. I did see the police superintendent, who I believe happens to be a woman. She did admit that they that they may have made the mistake of not restoring what they call it's called Ballard's b O L A r d s. Those are the steel posts or cement posts that are are that block buildings and block streets, and apparently they had removed some of those, and all they had was a police car parked at the intersection of Canal and Bourbon Street. And when this guy came down Canal Street, he just took a ride on a Bourbon Street, swung around the police car, went up over the sidewalk and and mowed down fifteen people. So there was a little bit of negligence on behalf. I think of the authorities in New Orleans that might have prevented this.
Speaker 6: This is a little bit long here, but for my break. But they said something about these orange orange things. I think they're probably talking about orange jersey plastic jersey barriers. Well, what happens a lot of times if they just put those jersey barriers out there, they don't fill them up. You got to fill them things up with either water or sand or they're just like having kind of like a rocking chair there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate your points. Some of them were really good and some of them I hope we can agree that I was able to give you a little information that maybe you didn't have. Appreciate your call. Thank you much.
Speaker 6: Stay off the weed, Dan, I'm not a weed guy.
Speaker 2: I think you know that. Thanks very much, appreciate it. Tim and Wilburn. Tim, welcome next on nightside.
Speaker 7: I granted him from all night. That's the most horrendous thing I think I ever heard of.
Speaker 2: Well, it's pretty horrendous, but I don't know that it's as horrendous as nine to eleven. To be honest with you. You're right in terms of the scale the magnitude. But it's a terrorist attack. Those people twenty four hours ago were alive just like you and I are, Tim, and now they're no longer with us. Sad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're dead on time too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Still, I have my night side mug here with a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that'll keep you awake, hey, Tim, Happy New Year to you and your family. Okay, thank you so much for checking in. Always good to hear your voice. Look forward to hearing from you many times throughout the year. Okay, and at some point we will have a cup of coffee together.
Speaker 7: That would be great.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, Happy New Year, Tim, Thanks much, appreciate it. All right, we got a quick break coming up. I got a little bit of room for you at one line at six one seven, two five four ten thirty, and I got two lines at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Uh. We have done nearly three hours on this. I'm likely to switch topics at eleven o'clock unless, uh, these lines fill up more quickly. Ron in Weymouth and Mark and allstin. You guys are all set. I'm gonna get you in pretty easily, and we have room for you if you want to dial in. You got the numbers. Dial away.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's keep rolling. They're gonna go to Ron and Weymouth Ron next on Nightsiger right ahead.
Speaker 8: Well, good evening, Ray and uh, I mean yeah, we know, good evening and uh and the happy New Year with a hell of a stat Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could call me Dan Ron, go right ahead. We're on first name.
Speaker 8: It something else going on most I don't know why I said that, No, prop No, no problem. Sane called in and a few others. They seem to write all the softwa as a medical, psychiatric excuse for an attack. Now, are you telling me that all the attacks in Israel that they had they write an office that they're just crazy. I believe it's something going on that we need to watch very closely, especially radicalize people who have had military training that did such a thing like this. And then all the information coming in from the FBI statement that I have in front of me, the official one today, it all concludes everything that you've been saying.
Speaker 2: And actually I had that statement as well. And the thing that is most interesting about that is, obviously the situation will always change. Let me just really quickly, says you have it. This was this statement, which basically stated the obvious. At approximately three point fifteen a Central Standard time, an individual drove a pickup truck into a crowd of people on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, killing at least ten of courses now up to fifteen, injuring dozens of others. After hitting the crowd, he exited the vehicle and fired upon local law enforcement. Law enforcement returned fire subject pronounced deceased at the scene to law enforcement officers injured transport at a hospital. Subject was identified as we've talked about, forty two year old shamsud Din Jabbar, US citizen from Texas, and it goes on the ISIS flag. It says weapons and potential ied were located in the subject's vehicle. Other potential IED's were also found located in the French quarter. That sounds to me like that might be dated information at this point, right, you know something that situation, well as that Davis cautioned us during the eight o'clock hour, will change in the next few days. There also apparently is an arrest made tonight in Houston. It said that heavily armed police were spotted detaining a man in Houston. Now again, I have no idea if this guy is related, but apparently he was detained near the home. Shirtless man surrenders outside Houston home of terrorist who mowed down Revelus in New Orleans report, So this could be some goofball.
Speaker 8: I see all, wasn't I see all the same stuff that you're saying, but I didn't want to intercede just briefly here. I believe it's the beginning phase leading up to more attacks and I think we're going to have to go back to a nationwide alert system just doesn't alert you know, police and security and alerts citizens also. And we had that one time way back. I guess that was after nine to eleven. I think we had something like that at an alert system. We need to get hav an alert system because I don't think people are understanding that the how bad it is. Oh it's just another attack. And I think we've we're letting down our God is what I'm trying to say. Uh, We've got it. We've got to change, and we can't be waiting all this time, uh for anything else to happen. It's it's got to change now. And I think, well, here's.
Speaker 2: Here's my here, here's my not a solution, because there's probably no solution to this. So I think we have to recognize that there are people amongst us. We live in a free society. There are people amongst us who are attracted to some pretty weird activities. And I basically am saying that if you're, uh, we we should be able to monitor ISIS sites and find out what Americans are frequenting those sites. And that's a red flag, just as if somebody's frequency frequenting a kiddy porn site, that should be a red flag. Now, you know, I don't see what's wrong with if someone is going to get on a public Internet site, I think that their right of absolute privacy UH is limited there. I think you know that that we have an obligation to do whatever we can to to find people who are either going to abuse children, who are going to be radicalized by ISIS, or join hate organizations. And I know that my friends in the a c L you are going to disagree, but I'm sick of of of the a c L you saying, oh, you can do whatever you want, but if you show a proclivity here spending a lot of time on an ISIS site, you got unless you're a college professor or or some sort of a researcher, I think you've got a problem. Just as if you spend a lot.
Speaker 6: Of time on do I do too. I do too, Dan, and Uh.
Speaker 8: I think that not only do we need justice, we need the beginning of swift justice. None of this hanging on with a lot of the legal debuts and all that let him stay in prison. We need to get going and show them that we mean business that we're not going to accept this. The American people want justice and they want swift justice. Maybe they we'll get that for the president President.
Speaker 2: I don't know. You know, it was interesting. It was a very quick case. Apparently there was an agreement reached with the guy who's the head of the head terrorist at Guantanamo, and they worked a deal where he would plead guilty and they would take the death penalty off the table. And apparently the Defense Secretary Secretary of Austin tried to overturn that decision.
Speaker 8: I heard.
Speaker 2: This to me was insane. Uh. He should have been up that decision. And a federal judge said no, the Defense Secretary waited too long uh to make his decision. And therefore, uh she Muhammad, the guy who was the mastermind of nine to eleven, we'll never see the death penalty. Thank you, judge. Wheover the hell you are? How about that?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 8: So that means we really don't we really don't have any deterrance no matter what they say. Uh. Oh, well, you know, if they're caught in the act of doing it. I mean that's like, don't you think, legally, pretty pretty pretty big good evidence right in the act of it. And for oeign countries, you think they wait around they.
Speaker 2: Have guy's been Dono for twenty years. Okay, he should have been taking care of a long time ago.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I like the other people.
Speaker 6: I like Ron.
Speaker 2: I got to get one more in here. We we went a long time on our topic.
Speaker 7: Here today we did.
Speaker 8: We should thank you?
Speaker 6: Sorry, should you call him?
Speaker 2: No problem, talk to you soon. Let me go to Mark. You knows, Mark going to wrap the hour for us.
Speaker 9: Go happy New Year.
Speaker 4: I get you.
Speaker 9: I actually used very little social media, just a little bit of LinkedIn, the ultra respectable uh social media that's devoted to career development.
Speaker 2: I agree, I'm on LinkedIn to Mark as a matter of fact.
Speaker 9: But I do think that it's possible to overdose on social media. Back I guess last may. I have a friend at synagogue who well was following the whole Israel Palestrini and Arab war, and yet got a bit overwrought, and.
Speaker 2: You know it took what happened to him? What happened?
Speaker 9: Oh, he's fine, he's fine now, but his wife, who's a social worker, had to say, watch it hunting.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, a lot of people spend spend too much time on social media. Absolutely, and if you but again to follow the Israeli you know, hajmas war right thing, But to hang out on ISIS sites and get radicalized, that's something quite different. And you know in terms of we, well, we see the result. We just see the result. Obviously, you know what the result was for fifteen people did Well.
Speaker 9: Isn't it possible to draw up a probable cause level case if somebody's doing too much of that stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, I think at a minimum, there should be some sort of awareness by you know, by authorities that somebody spending a lot of time on ISIS. I would go and interview that individual. We have a right to knock on the door and say, hey, I'd like to talk to you again. You're on a what is theoretically a public website, okay, you know, and and I think that you have surrendered some of your personal your your privacy rights when you're on a website that is uh that is as dangerous as UH as isis ISIS website or a kiddie porn website. I think you got to look at them the same way.
Speaker 9: In my opinion, Well, doesn't the FBI actually catch people sometimes using the.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah they could. Yeah, sure, yeah, they can sort of put people out there and sometimes they think they're talking to an eleven year old girl or a ten year old boy, and when they show up for the meeting with them, Hello, you're talking with FBI agents. Yeah, that's that's that's conceivable as well. So I don't know. Hey, Mark, I'm up at my eleven o'clock news. We gotta let you run, my friend, Okay, we'll talk. So thanks, Happy New Year to you and yours.
Speaker 9: Thanks, thanks walking up.
Speaker 2: Here comes the eleven. We'll be back right after the eleven, And I think I'm going to change topics at eleven, so we'll see if I get something that might interest you even more than this terrorism attack. It's a tough way to start the year, but we're going to talk about a little lighter topic at eleven. Coming back on Night Side,