Speaker 1: Podzave America is brought to you by Simply Safe. It's summer. Chances are you're leaving your house unattended for longer stretches during these months, even just for a long weekend. So the question is do you have a home security system that has your back when you're out enjoying all this season has to offer. Most home security systems only alert you after a break in has already begun, and that's too late. Simply Safe is different. Using the outdoor camera Series two and Advanced AI Alert, Simply Safe's US based live agents identify threats on your property and help deter them, stop in crime before it starts. That's real peace of mind. Simply Safe home security systems are fast and easy to set up on your own, no drilling required, no waiting around for a technician to show up. The app guided installation walks you through the process so you can get your system armed in less than an hour. And best of all, Simply Safe is actually affordable. Monitoring plans start affordably at a round a dollar a day, no long term contracts or cancelation fees. Is it true that you do not have to use a drill to install your simply.
Speaker 2: Safe, no drill. You don't need to use a drill. You can just use your fingers and as really easy to do. You set it up yourself in a matter minutes, customizes your house. Then you have a great app. You have the peace of mind of a good security system. The customer support's reliable, it's great.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Don't miss out on this extended Fourth of July deal just for our listeners. Right now you can get a massive seventy percent off your new system at simply safe dot com slash crookeet. That's an incredible seventy percent off your home security at simply safe dot com slash crooket. Hurry because there's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 4: As Americans, we're constantly grappling with a fundamental question. Do we settle for the world as it is? Or do we strive to create the world as it should be. Our answers tend to ebb and flow through the decades. But once, just after a war that nearly tore us apart, we came as close as we've come to answering it. And it's a story worth a closer look. I'm Michelle Obama and I'm proud to announce Higher grounds new podcast, Reconstruction The Unfinished Promise. Dighted by best selling author Malcolm Gladwell and featuring my husband, Barack Obama. This limited series uncovers the untold stories of Reconstruction, what they mean for us today, and how our past can shape the future we choose to build. Reconstruction The Unfinished Promise is available now on Audible or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Save America.
Speaker 3: I'm John lovit Im Tommy Beetor.
Speaker 2: John is taking some much needed time off to tweet with his family. On today's show, Donald Trump is working the refs at the World Cup. If we're heading to a NATO summit in Turkey. We've got two big developments in the Democratic Senate primaries and main Grand platinir faces serious and disturbing allegations of sexual assault in Michigan. Mallory mcmarrow drops out, making that one a two way race. We also look at the conservative freak out over a patriotic speech in New York Marizona Mandani, and we asked the question the mainstream media is afraid to ask. Is Mitch McConnell alive currently I've.
Speaker 3: Been wondering that too, depend on which Twitter you read him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's an important question. Yes, all right, let's get to the news, starting with the World Cup last week, when the US played Bosnia and hurts A Govina star forward Flow Balligan got a red card for stepping on a defender's ankle. I said Bosnia and Herzegovina, because I remember that. That's how it was said in the nineties when Bill Clinton was a bombing from the sky, so that during that era. I remember that from when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Remember that NATO.
Speaker 2: But I remember that Nato. But now I'm being told it's Bosnia and hurts a Goovina.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 2: UNDERFIFA rules, when a player gets a red card, they have to leave the game, their team has to finish the match with only ten players, and the player who got the red card has to sit out the next game. But we found out on Sunday afternoon that FIFA was suspending that second part of the punishment for Balligan after a call from Trump to FIFA President Johnny Infantina. Now in a long Twitter post on Monday, Infantino said the decision had been made by the association's independent judicial body, but declined to give any specifics. Then again, this is the guy who warded Trump the first ever FIFA Peace Prize last December. Whatever happened on the call, it seems unlikely that Trump's deep knowledge of the sports changed any minds.
Speaker 5: I think the referees call was horrible, and nobody talks about that. They talk about the red card like it's fine. Nobody talks about the referees decision to red card. I didn't know what the hell of red card was. When I found out, I said, you gotta be kidding. This guy just hands up. Okay, your best player is not going to play next week. Good in the next game. I said, wow, that's a lot of power. That's terrible. So yes, I asked for a review by FIFA. I had nothing to do with the decision. What I did have to do is I said, I think they should be reviewed because I watched the play and he didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the red card seems pretty wrong, but so does Trump's meddling. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm no.
Speaker 6: Ref but the red card seems like it was bullshit. A lot of people I follow talk about the stuff all the time. I think it was it worth a yellow card. Lionel Messi did something very similar in a different game in this World Cup didn't get carded at all. It's also seems like they use the video review improperly so on like a karmic level, this is the right outcome, like Flowbalgan deserves to play, He's an incredible player. What makes it like headspinning is all the reporting after the red card was that there was no way to review. Yes, right, so we all were like, oh man, we're just we're screwed here. And then apparently it turns out like the president could just call the head of FIFA his old buddy, and so I am like, I have a lot of feelings about this. I'm annoyed that the conversation about this team and their success because they're awesome, they're so good, is now kind of like tainted by this bullshit. I think it is obviously bad, like well for the Trump point of view, like it's not necessarily bad for him to advocate on behalf of his country, right, Like you could imagine another president doing this in a way that just seemed less corrupt like here. Starmer apparently weighed on the start time of the England Mexico game because he was.
Speaker 3: Worried about that.
Speaker 6: So I think, like, mostly this is just really really bad for FIFA. It's par for the course for them, because they're a terrible corrupt organization. Twenty fifteen, a bunch of people were indicted on like one hundred and fifty million in bribes and kickbacks related to the World Cup. The former head of FIFA, Set Bladder, was banned from soccer. He's now on Twitter criticizing this decision. So that's when it's getting a little weird. But like, it's just impossible to separate this decision from the very long standing, very weird, very corrupt relationship between Trump and Johnny and Fantino. Trump's a corrupt person. We know that his like one speed when he wants something is brute force. So we don't know what happened any of these calls, but we know that he got the outcome that he wanted.
Speaker 2: So a lot of the coverage has been around the call itself, but this was there was a shocking amount of administrative focus on the red card in a very short period of time. Andrew Giuliani, who's Rudy Giuliani's son was appointed to lead some kind of World Cup task for see. Apparently, according to the Politico, has been talking to Trump several times a week about the World Cup. You have Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik, who.
Speaker 3: Was at the game saying sitting next to Infants.
Speaker 2: Was sitting next I didn't realize it was just saying right next to him, saying that he was offering White House lawyers to assist the US team and trying to fight this. There was other threats from the US team and from the administration behind the scenes around other ways they could challenge this rule and through other kinds of means that I guess the pressure mounted, and then there was this call on top of it. Yeah. It on the one end, it does feel like another story where you have the president he's he's focused on the biggest fireworks, the ballroom, the reflecting pool, the statues, the arches, all that he's focused on sports, not on the actual substance of the job and the things that people want him to pay attention to. But I had the same feeling as you, which is of all the ways in which Trump could be a bully, bullying to have an advantage removed from Belgium. The expense of a corrupt group of European chauvinists is like not that big of a sin.
Speaker 3: No, no it's not, and like for what it's worth.
Speaker 6: The New York Post had this reporting that US Soccer was already preparing to fight the decision. They were especially focused on the var system, the video review system, and that it was improperly used to make this call, and they were preparing to appeal to something called the Court of Arbitration for Sports. Yes, I don't know what that is, but apparently it would have taken the decision out of FIFA's hands. So maybe they acted to preempt that. So there's a chance here that Trump is taking credit for something that was already in motion, which is something presidents get.
Speaker 3: To do, good or bad.
Speaker 6: All that said, Belgium has a right to be pissed off. Other teams have a right to be pissed off. They want one clear set of rules. They never get it from FIFA. Imagine though, if this was the twenty eighteen World Cup in Russia, putin lobs in a call to FIFA to overturn some ruling, we'd all be like ripping our hair out and screaming about injustice and corruption and oligar key. FIFA has made similar exceptions, including one for Christiano Ronaldo to make sure he didn't miss a game in the tournament. So I think just like the way to ultimately understand FIFA is it's basically a criminal organization that just cares about money, And like the way to understand Infantino is he just sucks up to the most powerful person he needs at all times. So I think everyone, of course assumes that he viewed this as doing a favor for Trump, even if it hurt his reputation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like I can see, like you can imagine Obama at a press conference getting a question like that was bullshit, man, like that sucks, and then yeah, but you this is where having independent, trustworthy organizations is important, right, because sure, an American leader should put pressure for the American team, but you need to trust that the other side of it will not let that influence the decisions. But you can't trust that here. You also can't trust that Trump is not abusing his relation ships and his financial entanglements with Infantino and all the rest. So anyway, Trump made soccer about him somehow.
Speaker 6: For what it's worth, we're recording this at like three o'clock on Monday Pacific times of two hours before the game, so we don't know the outcome right now. We'll find out excited to watch and I just.
Speaker 2: Want I watch angel City, all right. I am a season ticket holder, so I'm not I am like getting into soccer.
Speaker 3: Have you been watching these games?
Speaker 2: You know? Here's what my problem is with the way that we because you have it on and I see you getting into it. I finally with soccer, I either want to watch the whole game or I want to see highlights at the end. But I have trouble dipping in and out because for me, it's about like the way like you can watch a team. And even if I didn't understand this till I started watching soccer, that even if a goal isn't scored during an entire half, you're still like understanding the way the teams are going up against each other. And I feel like it's hard to get that when you're just looking up for a computer.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have to say this has been one of the best World Cups I've ever seen. Every game has been like down to the wire and exciting. There's been all these late goals, there's been like lake goals called back, incredible header, some of the best goals I've ever seen, Like the Cabo Verde goal to tie it up the second time in overtime against Argentina was like one of the most incredible shots ever. So just like the storylines, the gameplay itself, the big players delivering in big moments has just been incredible. And that's why it was like particularly annoying to all of a sudden have to talk about Trump again because it was just a reprieve from him. He like, interestingly, despite the Cup being in the United States, what's Canada and Mexico too, He just like hadn't made himself a part of it. He will at the end till I'll give out the trophy to the winner with Infantino, but like he'd kind of stayed away from it, and now it's just like him again.
Speaker 2: And some of the worst like concerns about what would happen with people traveling to the US, haven't. I mean, we haven't seen that much of what we the worst possible, like people being stopped, being unable to come see the games. You did have this moment with the Iranian team protests in the US, which I thought was in my way were in Mexico and they did it, but I thought it was like particularly moving.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were real dicks to the Iranians for no good reason, like we would let them stay in the United States and make them like fly back and forth from Mexico to games. There were some issues with like one of the African refs was denied entry into the country for some like vetting reason that seems like mostly bullshit. But the level of anxiety going into the World Cup was way higher.
Speaker 3: Than kind of the level of the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: In fact, it's like the opposite. It's like all these foreigners coming to America kind of nervous and feeling like they love it and like going to waffle House for the first time and making viral videos, and it's just been like this fun, like joyful melting of cultures.
Speaker 2: We have beautiful cultures combining in the US. Meanwhile, Trump is heading to Turkey for the annual NATO summit, and Trump intervening with one of his reputedly corrupt pals to remove what would have been an advantage for Belgium seems like a pretty good metaphorm for European frustrations with American andngemony. There will be a lot of discussion of defense spending and of ending the war in Ukraine Russia. Russia was striking at civilian targets in key of this week, and Ukraine is actually less able to defend itself in part because of a shortage of interceptor missiles made worse by Trump's war in Iran. What are you watching for in this summit and what are you hoping for around this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you got at the top line, which is like the signs that the divide between the US and Europe are widening or narrowing. Trump is still furious about the lack of support from Europe when it came to the war with Iran, and Europeans are still rightly furious that we started a war with Iran and made, you know, harm them in the process. So we could see more discussion about whether the Trump administration is going to pull US troops out of Europe to punish countries like Spain that opposed the war. Remember, like at some point Pete Hegseth was floating that We're going to like pull troops out of Poland than Trump heard about it, he got mad.
Speaker 2: So it's like been all over Rubio that too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Ruby apparently spiked it as well, and like kind of the best, Like you know, there's competing world views out there. There's like that it's time to move on from America worldview that you're hearing from Mark Karney in Canada, and then Mark Ruta, the NATO Secretary General, is more of the ass kisser, like keep Trump on side, Skuy. So the other thing Trump loves to do with these NATO summits is browbeat these countries about defense spending. He's now demanding that countries spend five percent of GDP on defense by twenty thirty five. Now, before him, Obama, Bush others were critical of NATO countries for not spending enough, but they wanted to get to like two percent.
Speaker 3: Ten is five percent is absurd.
Speaker 6: That said, it's like a fake target because three point five of the five percent goes to military spending, and then one point five percent is defined his security related investments and that could mean like roads, right, yes, cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: So for the record, I wanted to talk about NATO. I was pumped and in part because so last year this was the summit where Mark Ruta, who's the Secretary General of NATO, this is where he called Trump daddy. I think it was a low moment for him. It was not great, and it came to represent like the root to strategy, which is you just suck up to him in public and you do your best to mitigate the damage in private. But in the year since that summit, you have Trump threatening tariffs over Greenland, you have the war in Iran, the administration has proposed and actually enacted some triop drawdowns, are threatening more. And then six months ago that's when Mark Karney gives this speech laying out I think for the first time in a really I think in a way that felt like a legitimate alternative. All Right, the sucking up approach while trying in private to persuade him doesn't seem to be working. There was a really deeply reported story in the Wall Street Journal about the European view of America, and there was a lot in there, but the experience of Europeans coming to the US beseeching Trump to defend Ukraine, him seeming to agree, and then an hour long conversation with Putin wipes the fucking thing clean and so we're at this moment where there does seem to be a real possibility of Europe actually viewing this is not a Trump problem but an America problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really it's troublely look the on the Ukraine piece, I mean, Trump is going to meet with Zelenski. We'll see what comes out of that. It' Zelenski's wish list is like, I want to be able to manufacture patriot missile interceptors in my country.
Speaker 3: Feels like a win win.
Speaker 6: The Ukrainians have done all this really important stuff with drone technology and using that to using drones intercept drones, so you're not spending like three million dollars on an interceptor missile to take down a thirty thousand dollars shit head drone. So there's the areas of coordination there, like hopefully Trumble just do no harm when it comes to Zelensky, not pull back support intelligence support for them. Hopefully we'll like recommit to a serious peace process and stop whatever this joke is that's being led by Steve Wikoff and Jared Kushner and the Russian oligarch of the day that's seemingly just about deal making for those guys. There's also this whole like subplot a NATO about Turkey and whether Airdwan is a reliable partner, whether the US should sell Turkey F thirty five. The Israelis really don't want that to happen. And then there's just like the petty shit like cure. Starmer and Trump don't really get along. As Starmer's last NATO Georgia Maloney and Trump the Italian leader prime minister. There was a back and forth where he claimed she wanted a picture with him, and she was like.
Speaker 3: What the fuck are you talking about? So we'll see.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just this could be nothing, or it could be him just picking a fight with a bunch of Euros.
Speaker 2: There's a way, which is they're just sick of it. That just seems like they're sick of it. And because the root of thing, right is, hey, guys, uh, he's demanding five percent. You can count a bridge. Just shut up and say you're doing it right.
Speaker 6: It's by twenty thirty five, it's never going to happen. He's prey long gone.
Speaker 2: Just say you're going to meet the commitment, put forward some way of proving it right like that, and then and will he wants the flattery in public, he wants the great headline, and we can slow roll it and deal with it after he's gone. But there seems to be in like a like the a shift in which they're just no longer willing to play along as much as they were before. And in the Wall Street Joeneral report there was that Europeans are also removing American tech from their systems. They're urging civil servants to no longer use Microsoft teams or office. They're spending hundreds of billions of dollars to try to boost Europe's own private space firms, AI companies, and data centers. And it seems like I was interested in this big part because it seems as though Trump's his bravado, his bullying, It is predicated on America being indispensable and it's too hard to shift away from US. Yeah I can. That is only true if they treat it as if it is true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 6: I mean I think they're kind of waking up to how many different ways they're reliant on the US. Like the NATO piece is obvious, Like the US is what like seventy percent of NATO, Right, if the US pulls out of that. If we refuse to honor the Article five commitment within NATO, NATO kind of falls apart. So that's been an anxiety for a while. I think they're also concerned about their reliance on like the big ticket weapons systems, Like you're seeing quotes being like, is there a kill switch in the F thirty five if we buy those? YEA, there is, I can just turn them up. Oh, I still love this country, and I hope there is. But also, like recently, we've seen this completely incoherent approach to AI models, like the Mythos model from Anthropic. One day the administration just cuts it off to any foreign partner. Then a couple of weeks later they turned it back on. And I think these European countries understand that like this tech is going to get embedded to everything they do, their economy, weapons systems, everything, and they have no AI industry, and I think they're worried about that, and they're trying to like scramble to catch up a little bit. And then I would imagine they're looking at US replacing NASA with like Elon Musk and kind of worried that their ability to launch stuff into space going forward runs through that guy, right, Like it's just.
Speaker 2: Like two mercurial people. You're relying on the US for defense. You can't trust them anymore. You're relying on Elon must to provide access to starlink. He is capricious about that. And then on the other side of it, right, and then they see Mark Karney, right, and Countada is even more dependent on the US than the Europeans are, and he's sort of charting this other path. But it's not just that if NATO would go away and then they would be in trouble, NATO would go away, and then they would have to spend not five percent, but ten percent, fifteen percent. They'd have to have a real defense, which currently we subsidize.
Speaker 6: Well, what's so funny about this is like, basically NATO exists to deter a Russian invasion and then but Trump sort of doesn't seem to care about Russia invading other countries. So why are we spending all this time browbeating European countries to increase their defense spending to five percent if he fundamentally doesn't really care about the.
Speaker 3: Existence of the organization. That's like the internal incoherence.
Speaker 6: This whole thing it's just like he feels like we're getting ripped off and he likes to yell at them, and that's become his shtick.
Speaker 2: Right, it does seem like that's the resistance, right because they they made the commitment last year. I know they all did, but almost all the countries did makea was bainerfulness, right, they didn't to get to five percent, And now this is a meeting about proving they're going to do it. And there's never a day at which they've successfully assuaged Trump and now we can get to the work of rebuilding the alliance. In the year since they made those commitments, that's when he threatened to put tariffs on because of Greenland.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and if you're the UK, I mean, like you have this demand from Trump to increased defense spending. There clearly is a need for them to improve, modernize and beef up their military. But they're also like their economy has been bumping along kind of stagnant for a decade, so they have all these pressing economic domestic concerns too, and you just get pulled between the two. And then you know, Mark, you know, Trump just sizes to bully you every once in a while and like marccartney gave a great speech in Dava was talking about this sort of post America world. I think the challenge is like, Okay, in practice, can he really cobble together this alliance of middle powers to really push back on the US and become another power center.
Speaker 3: It just remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just every dollar is not the same dollar. It is not good for the US, and it's quite costly for Europe to have to build redundant capabilities to the United States, that is, instead of the US. I mean it is Donald Trump does not care about our national interest, but it is better for US as a country if they are buying if whatever, two percent of their spending involves purchasing a lot of our support versus four percent of their spending right being independent.
Speaker 6: Well, and that's sort of the rub in a lot of this is like when Trump is demanding they spend five percent of GDP on defense spending, most of that money is going to get shoveled overseas to US defense contractors to raytheon and stuff. And it's like a terrible economic investment for the leaders of these countries. It's not really a return on that dollar. It's not flowing through their economy. It's just going over to the US because Donald Trump wants it.
Speaker 2: So keep an eye on, you know, let's see if NATO's around. By next episode, Pod Save America has brought you by Article. Article makes it effortless to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century, coastal and scandy furniture design to mix and match perfectly so you can create a cohesive designer look that will stand the test of time. The article stuff is so well made, it looks great. It's simple, but like has great design. Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US in Canada with options for professional assembly. If you prefer a hands off experience, have a question, or need help with your design choices. Article's customer care team is available seven days a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free interior design services to help you get your home just right. With articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence, knowing that if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily return it. This piece of mind ensures you can invest in your home without hesitation. Article is offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more. To claim, visit article dot com slash crooket and the discount will be automatically applied to check out that's article dot com slash crookeet for fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 1: Podsave America is brought to you by Wild Alaskan Company. The difference between low and high quality seafood is enormous, i'd say, but it's also one of those things it's tough to accurately assess for yourself in the grocery store. Wild Alaskan Company offers the best way to get wild caught, high quality seafood delivered to your door on your schedule. Each Wild Alaskan box comes with individually portioned filets, vacuum sealed, easy to prep and grate for any meal, no matter how quick or elevated. All fish is quick frozen fresh from the Alaskan waters, which helps lock in its freshness, texture, flavor, and key nutrients like Omega threes. It's fish you can trust. I always want to trust my fish gotta trust your fish with no GMOs, antibiotics or other additives. Every order supports sustainable harvesting practices and Alaskan fisherman whose history is tied to the region and practice love Wild Alaskan got some tuna, which I allow a big tuna guy. You like salmon, you know you just you get it, taste delicious, You throw it on the running the grill for a couple of minutes, and then boom, You're done. Wild Alaskan Company is so confident that their fish is the best that they offer a one hundred percent satisfaction and money back garrantee so you can try your first box risk free. Go to Wild Alaskan dot com slash cricket for thirty five dollars off your first order of premium wildcot Seafood. That's Wild Alaskan dot com slash cricket for thirty five dollars off your first order. Thanks to Wild Alaskan Company for sponsoring this episode.
Speaker 2: Now, we also have a lot of domestic politics to get to, starting with new and terrible allegations against Ram Plattner. The Wall Street Journal reported at the end of May that Platner had been sexting with women who were in his wife just months before launching his campaign. Platiner then told a private meeting of anxious Democratic senators that despite the rumors, there were no other shoes to drop. Then, on June four to five, days before the primary, The New York Times published a story in which women who had dated Platner talked about a bunch of troubling incidents and dynamics. Platinir then won the primary handily. Then, on Monday, shortly before we sat down to record this, Political published a story in which one of the women in that time story, Jenny Rassikon, a Democrat, gave more details about her experiences with Platner. She said that in twenty twenty one, he showed up at her house drunk without being invited, went in forced her to have sex with him against her will. She told Political that she withheld those details because she did not want to be known as a rape victim. Moments after the story published, the Platiner campaign posted a response video. Here is what Platner said.
Speaker 7: I wanted to directly address the troubling, serious and false allegations against me. Any accusation of non consensual behavior is categorically false, regardless of the inaccuracy of the reporting, but mindful the political reality it will inflect. We are taking the time to reflect on the best path forward for the state that I love, the people that I love, the movement I belonged to, and the goal of defeating Susan Collins.
Speaker 2: So just so people know, if he withdraws by July thirteenth, he can be replaced on the ballot. Tommy, what was your reaction to the story.
Speaker 6: The allegations of the story are really bad and troubling. They seem credible, they're backed up by documentation, and so obviously the impact politically is not just what's in the story. It's this cumulative impact of a series of articles and allegations about him, and the feeling that he just has not been fully transparent and honest about some of the allegations. Like you mentioned, I mean, there was this meeting in Washington a while ago where these questions were put to him directly, and the answer I think sounds like it was just no. And now there's all this reporting. So I think my takeaway from that video is that he's going to drop out of the race. I think he has to drop out of the race. Like you said, if he drops by the thirteenth, the main Democratic Party will choose a replacement by July twenty seventh. I have no idea who they're going to choose. I'm very worried now about the prospect of winning the seat. If the party can get its act together, we ultimately could be in a stronger place politically than we would be with Plattner and all this baggage if these stories had come out later. I think the challenge is going to be you had all these voters who turned out and voted for Graham Plattner, despite the Reddit posts, despite the tattoos in you know, the story, and all the other scandals. They were turning out to signal that they wanted something different and that they were angry at the establishment. And I don't know who in Maine can like speak to that anger but also has been vetted by the party and has been through the political process, because like, look, as much as Janet Mills's supporters deserve to be angry and deserve the I told you so, as they're saying today, the problem was that Maine voters were not supporting her. They didn't want to vote for her, and so this wasn't like some online vibes issue. It was like what the electorate was saying in the state where it matters. So I think I don't know where they go from here.
Speaker 2: And she suspended her campaign before any votes were cast, right, so there wasn't an alternative in the primary. Yeah, he has to end the campaign so that we have a chance of defeating Susan Collins.
Speaker 3: I think the story is horrible.
Speaker 2: I find it starting from when you interviewed him about the tattoo. He has not always been transparent about it. That has become increasingly true that his denials have just not been backed up with what came next. Even here in the story, which is deeply reported, backed up by contemporaneous evidence and previous conversations, it conforts with what he said, which is that he was drinking a lot, and the story describes him as being drunk, potentially not remembering it the next day. And so then we have a video of him categorically denying something which it doesn't seem he's really in a position to deny. So he has to withdraw to give us a chance. And what I took away from watching this video, from reading this story is it is clear that this is somebody that has not maybe even been honest with himself about what was going on in the dark phases of his life. Yeah, but that is not for us to deal with in a Senate race that will determine the control of his head.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, obviously a big lesson here is that vetting is really important, and some of the vetting gets done by campaigns themselves, and then ultimately it will be done by the media if the campaigns don't figure.
Speaker 3: That part out.
Speaker 6: But like, we should be clear about what kind of stuff comes up in vetting, Like the Reddit posts should come up in vetting, Like online accounts that should come up in vetting. I've never heard of a campaign like kind of calling excess to sort of suss out stories like this, right, I mean, I think what happens is campaigns have conversations with the candidate.
Speaker 3: They ask them a series of questions.
Speaker 6: If the candidate is not candid back to them, then they're in a very difficult position. And like when I interviewed Platner about his Reddit posts and the tattoo, like I was not aware of any of these allegations. None of this was public yet. Just for the record, because I would have asked. I still don't think there's evidence that he intended to get a Nazi tattoo on purpose, or that he had like Nazi leanings. In fact, I think the Reddit archive like shows the opposite. But like, like you just said, like I have come to believe, over time and over learning more information that he just wasn't being honest about when he learned that what the tattoo was or what it looked like. And I don't know if he was being honest with himself or the campaign about it. And so I think, like the question is, like, what do you do with that information? What's the lesson here? I hope it's not that we don't try to run people from outside of politics, because I think like that's a good thing. I want people who weren't just like raised in a political system to run for office. I think it's good to have new perspectives. Also, they've clearly been vetting problems within the party too. Like Eric Swallwoll, who's in Congress for a decade, there were horrifying allegations that came out about him. He was in leadership, he was like close with Pelosi, right, So like he was an establishment favorite who had some horrible allegations in his past. But yeah, I mean, like it's it's horrible, it's awful, it's really sad. A lot of people believed in him, believed in this campaign. I know they're going to feel devastated by this. A lot of peop would be really angry. There's gonna be a lot of anxiety about our ability to win this seat. And you know, hopefully that named Democrats can pick someone good to replace him quickly and get this righted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of I think people sort of doing their factional kind of points scoring about it too, and fine, people can have at it. There were people who felt like this was not a person that should have been trusted with a Senate nomination, because of the Reddit posts, because of the tattoo, that this was enough to say we should be looking in another direction. That has turned out to be true. But what has consistently been I think the way in which people talk past each other in these sort of intra party debates is you view Graham Platiner as unacceptable. Voters seem to find the establishment candidates even less acceptable. And there was there was a way to defeat Graham Platner with a viable alternative, and that wasn't presented during the race. And that doesn't mean critics as the Mcgraham Platner wasn't completely and totally justified. That doesn't mean there's anthing wrong with supporting Janet Mills. But now we have to figure out how to find that person who can represent the party in the Senate race, because the stakes remain.
Speaker 3: Control the signs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and look, I think ultimately I just don't get the sense that Janet Mills really wanted to run. Yeah, and she was like pushed and pushed and kind of dragged into it and it came through, you know, and like she didn't seem like she wanted the campaign. I understand that there was also this insurgent candidacy happening and she just yeah, it's just the whole situation is just terrible.
Speaker 2: Even after the June fourth story, she said, I am still technically on the ballot, but didn't reactivate the campaign. So you know, it's a terrible situation and the story is horrible. And my thoughts go to, like, think of that person who finally felt like they didn't get their story out the first time the story ran, they felt they had to come forward and tell it an even more gruesome detail. And that is terrible and a brave thing to do. And I still hope we win that fucking seat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Poddave of America is brought you by Tommy John. Summer can be rough on the body, public transport, as asauna. Your walk to work feels medically unsafe, and sometimes it feels like there's not anough air conditioning in.
Speaker 3: The world to save you.
Speaker 2: But there's a big difference between enduring summer sweating every now and then and being an identically sweaty guy. You don't want to be that guy, and you don't have to be meat. Air underwear, your heat wave approved upgrade for all day comfort. Air underwear is perfect under light summer fabrics, no visible lines, guaranteed, our lightest underwear yet, designed with micro preparations for max airflow all summer long, so you can stay cool, dry, and significantly less swamp like from the very first layer. Air is built to keep your base layer breathable, lightweight, and barely there, so you're not dealing with trapped heat, sweat build up, or the uncomfortable, too warm all day feeling incredibly breathable, incredibly durable, the lightest underwear you'll ever wear. Over thirty million pairs sold means there are thousands of guys out there more comfortable than you right now, So don't suffer this summer. I love Tommy John. I have the They have their second Skin underwear, which is my favorite of but I'm excited to try the Air. I think I have one pair of. Aaron is great. It's so light, It's so light.
Speaker 1: Love those ondies.
Speaker 2: Go to Tommy John dot com today and save twenty five percent off your first order with code Crooked Comfort Perfective. Just use code crooked at check out and upgrade your essentials today.
Speaker 1: Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot Me. Do you ever look at someone really succeeding in their chosen field and think how did they get there? And what am I missing? One thing is certain they didn't get there alone. Those who reach the highest levels of career success had mentors, coaches, people in their corner who help them think through big decisions and see what they can't see themselves. That is exactly what today's sponsor, Strawberry dot Me, is all about. A lot of us know where capable of more. We just don't know what the next step is. It starts with getting clear on what you want, not what everyone else expects. Then you uncover the blind spots and obstacles that are keeping you stuck, and finally you build an actionable plan instead of waiting for the perfect opportunity to fall into your lap. Whether you're trying to land a new job, earn a promotion, or completely reinvent your career, Strawberry dot Me gives you a roadmap and a dedicated coach who's with you every step the way. Scan the QR code on your screen or head to Strawberry dot Me slash crooked to get fifty percent off your first session. That's Strawberry dot me slash crooked Strawberry dot Me. It's like therapy for your career, all right.
Speaker 2: In other campaign news over the weekend, Michigan State Senator Mallory mcmarrow ended her primary campaign for US Senate, creating a two way race between abdul Lsied and Congressman Haley Stevens. McMorrow is seen as a rising star in the party, but she failed to gain traction in the race and had been stuck in single digits in recent polling. Stevens has the backing of Chuck Schumer, the DSCC, and Apak is positioning herself as the electable moderate to date, though she's running behind Lsaed, a progressive and former Crooked host and a friend of ours who's generating big crowds and enthusiasm by running against the establishment, supporting medicare for all and opposing military aid to Israel. Mallory was trying to position herself between Haley Stevens and Abdul. Why do you think that didn't ultimately work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just to be clear.
Speaker 6: I also I'm biased, like Adul's a friend, he did a show on her network.
Speaker 3: I'm a donor to his campaign. So I just want to put that all out there.
Speaker 6: I think Mallory started as a long shot, like she was known online because of like viral speeches a few years ago, but I think state wide she had very low name ID and that's a real challenge.
Speaker 3: And I think you also.
Speaker 6: Had a duel as the like very clear Bernie Sanders endorsed progressive favorite, and then you had Hailey Stevens with the Schumer support, the institutional support, and the tens of millions of dollars and outside money that comes with it. I think they thirty two million has been spent on her palf so far. And then Mallory was left trying to figure out, like what is my middle path where I cobble off some votes from the more progressives by being more electable and some from the establishment, and it just it never quite worked. And then I think she made sort of what turned out to be a fatal error by attacking a duel for campaigning with this on piker, which made progressives think that she was not credible or viable. And then I think it got Abdul more attention than he had gotten in a very long time, and it just sort of like started this slow attrition in support.
Speaker 2: And so I think so I also loved her in with Haley, Yeah.
Speaker 6: And it made her seem more like the establishment, which was sort of played into the Abdual message. So I just think like she ultimately never could really find a clear lane.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was some also, I would just say, like a fair amount of hostility towards Mallory McMorrow online and it reminded me a little about of when it was Bernie versus Elizabeth Warren toward the end of that primary, and it was like, oh, you know, we have our person, and so you're you're a threat to our candidate, and I'm sort of pretty hostile towards McMorrow. So yeah, now the question is, I think what happens to there weren't that many mcmare voters by the end, but there are still a lot of undecided people, and Haley is going to be making an electability argument against Abdul. Some of them will be around him being on the left. I think some of it will be subtly or not so subtly about him his identity.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I think there's there's sort of this assumption that Mallory's votes are just going to go to Haley. I think that's wrong. Like I've heard from people who have seen a lot of polling that Mallory's votes are very much split. It's not an obvious boon to Haley. Stevens. We'll probably see another poll soon we'll have a better sense. But like the old theory of politics was the progressive lane was like thirty five maybe forty percent, you know, that was sort of the ceiling, and then the rest of the votes would go to more established kind of moderate normy them's this cycle, though, we're seeing the total rejection of the establishment on the left and on the right. We're also seeing progressive candidates all over the country In York, Colorado, lots of places do really, really well, and that would seem to benefit a duel. There are questions about Haley's abilities as a messenger. There are you know, foreign policy and support for Israel and APAC has been more of an animating issue than we've seen in a very very long time, and I think that speaks to a dual strength. So those are would be all arguments for why he could benefit or do well coming out of this move from Mallory, But we don't know. I mean, like there's a ton of money getting spent for Haley. She's a better known quantity in the state. And then, as you said, I think there will be a lot of talk about electability, fear of losing this seat, the strength of their opponent, and you're right, like a lot of that will be code for Abdul's a Muslim guy. But we'll just see what message resonates with voters. I mean, this primaries in August, I bet a lot of folks still aren't paying attention, so there is time, but it's going to be seen as like a huge proxy for a lot of the issues in the party about left right, Israel, Gaza that we'll talk about in a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been saying for a while now that there is this realignment on Israel, and it seems to be happening very quickly during this primary. On and Dan talked on the show Friday about Kamala Harris reaching out to Zoron and AOC and the leaders of the Uncommitted movement in Michigan as she prepares for potential twenty twenty eight run. On Wednesday, another potential twenty twenty eight candidate, Brahm Emmanuel, the son of an Israeli independence fighter and a career moderate, will give a speech in Tel Aviv essentially threatening an end to American support for Israel unless there are major changes. Here's how Abdul talked about the issue recently.
Speaker 3: This is a moral ruleshock test.
Speaker 8: Like if you can't identify the systematic murder of tens of thousands of kids as a genocide, and then you want to say that you're a fighter for human rights and dignity, that's just hypocrisy. So I just think that if you can't call the most heinous violation of human rights what it is, it's hard for me to believe that you're going to go and fight the Trump administration, or fight the pharma CEOs, or fight the health insurance CEOs who are making my life unlivable.
Speaker 2: I do think he's describing the actual dynamic of a lot of Democratic voters, that this issue has become a kind of shibble with for a willingness to take on the establishment, willing to take hard political positions. But at the same time, it's his choice of words there is interesting, right, because a Rorsha test is something in which you see what reflects your view of it point in order that and that the thing itself is a way of eliciting what your view might be. And I do think that's happening here too. It's partly why I'm interested in what rom ultimately says, because I think what I think Abdul is describing the reality of how this debate is unfolding. But that is in part because Joe Biden and Kamala Harris left such a massive hole, both in terms of the policy and any kind of larger framework or message or story about what a progressive defense of support for Israel might be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think that for a lot of progress to voters in the in the US, especially young people, it's kind of just like a threshold question about your credibility. If you can't look at what's happening in Gaza and say that's wrong, and say we shouldn't be funding a genocide or sending more weapons systems with that with a blank check over to Israel, then they don't believe you on anything else. I think the ram speech is particularly interesting to me. I'm going to talk to him next week on patse the World because net Yaho has an election in October at the latest. I think he's going over there in part to kind of stir some shit up in signal to voters in advance of that election, like, Hey, it's time to move on from Nennyahu. This guy's bad news. He does not he's not serving interests, he's not going to help you in Washington anymore.
Speaker 3: We'll see if that works.
Speaker 6: I do think, like looking thinking back to the Biden kind of era Gaza fights, I think there was a suggestion for a while that the campus activists were performative. You know, the people out protesting like they just that was their thing of them, right, And I didn't think that was true then and I don't think it's true now. And I think that your views again on Gaza, I've just become like a proxy for this much bigger threshold question about whether people believe you. And frankly, things have gotten worse since then because we had the war with Iran and all that Trump has you know, done to make things worse there, and so you know that's where it's like all getting swept up. And so I do think this is going to continue to be a huge issue in democratic primaries in this cycle, but also in twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where I do think like the ways in which I think pro Israel Democrats or historically pro does Israel democrats have been I think really caught flat footed and surprised by the level of intensity and importance that this issue has now taken. And you have seen a lot of those Democrats shift.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: You had Bernie and Chris Murphy putting out, putting up resolutions about cutting off military offensive military aid to Israel, and the number of Democrats being to support that ticking up But in the absence I think of a clear articulation of a view on Israel that is reflective of concedes the substance of the I think valid moral critique of US support for Israel, especially of military sport for Israel and conduct of the war in Gaza. But that talks about a position on settlements, that talks about a position on the future of Gaza two state solution, whether or not that is still something that is plausible. What it looks like to actually fight for something like that, what it looks like to hold Israel accountable? Right, It is true what Abdul says in that video that if you can't call is what Israel has done in Gaza genocide, then you are failing this moral test. But there are no politicians right now saying something like I believe Israel's conduct to the Ward is horrific. I think that they've committed ethnic cleansing. There are genocidal members of that administration. I will leave the definition of genocide to others, but I will tell you we will make sure that the West Bank is safe for Palestinians, and we will remove settlements as part of any deal. We will hold off any funding for Israel until it has withdrawn to the borders. Right, Like, there is a full throated pro Palestinian position that acknowledges Israel's right to exist and defend itself that I think could reflect the values of duels talking about it, but right now just doesn't exist. There's no one, no one really espousing that position that I'm hearing. Yeah, I think what.
Speaker 6: Is broken recently is for a long time, they were kind of like political and policy orthodoxies that were just kind of abided by in Washington. You know, It's like there was they were seen as most politicians did not stray much beyond you know, sort of like the forty yard lines of this debate. And then when Gaza started, like a bunch of people just started asking why why are we giving to their credit? Like places like Jay Street and other groups, we're asking these questions earlier, but like people just sort of wondering, why are we giving this country three point three billion a year in military support and then a bunch of additional funding after that. Why are we partnering with bib n Yahoo to launch this crazy war with Iran when it doesn't seem to serve our interests? Why are we why is the US Congress welcome in ICC indicted war criminals like and Yahoo and other you know Israeli political and military leaders. And yet we're having this big dumb fucking fight for a month about Hassan Piker's you know, Twitter to twitch stream.
Speaker 2: Why why is a democratic administration? Two of them supporting a government in which their leader comes to the US and insults US and basically does politics for the Republican Party. And you have APAK as an organization that has become completely sort of politicized and attacking Democrats who don't view exactly to their line.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean APAK primarily has started sort of intervening in democratic primaries, attacking the more progressive candidate about issues that have nothing to do with Israel, and that's rubbing people the wrong way. And I think there's a broader sort of waking up to the fact that at this moment, the two state solution is just not realistic in any way. And I think a lot of times when politicians talk about, well, we need peace talks and two states living side by side and blah blah, like it's just a way of like punting the question and having a thing to say that they all know is complete bullshit because the West Bank is getting chopped up every single day by more settlement construction. And you know, after October seventh, neither side as any faith in the process, nor do they necessarily support a two state solution anymore.
Speaker 3: That's all true and real.
Speaker 6: I think where the like my only advice to like the more progressive candidates and people on the left is I do think one thing that has gotten lost from the conversation is like any sense of empathy and a lot of these answers about the trauma that Israeli Is felt on October seventh, or that youse in America feel and fear they feel about anti Semitism, And I think we just need that needs to be more a part of the conversation as we recalibrate these much harder policy issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I would say acknowledging that is not a concession too, is not admitting to something right like like compassion towards Israelis is not to take anything away from no Benjamin yaw who's evil conduct of the war. Also, and as much as a two state solution seems like something you just say to get out of the question, it's not like a one state solution is very appealing, great answer either. So it really is like a you know, it's been a morass for a very very long time, Like.
Speaker 6: You have to do both, Like of course I have enormous empathy for people in Gaza, the suffering the Palestinian people, like having empathy for the Israelis who are hurt or or killed or kidnapped that day, or the people who are scared by the events of October sev Like they're not mutually exclusive.
Speaker 3: We can do both. And I think it's just it's gotten a little bit lost from the debate.
Speaker 2: And I would just also say too, like from the other side of it, like you can go back to Orbin describing the importance of a peace process in part because you would get to the point whe're at now where people would stop being willing to accept a two state solution right and start demanding a one state solution. That you know, when people criticize mont Donnie right because he gets the question like do you support the right of a Jewish.
Speaker 3: State to exist?
Speaker 2: And I support a state for equal rights to exist, those circles can be squared. There can be a state with equal rights that has a Jewish majority, But that requires a Palestinian state, which requires a US that is willing to put an extraordinary amount of pressure on Israel to remove settlements from the West Bank and make a two state solution possible. Because the alternative, which is increasingly what people are demanding, is one in which there is no longer a Jewish state in a region which there are a lot of Muslim.
Speaker 6: States, or you know, a state that is a facto apartheid state with different laws for different people, a different which is also religious unacceptable.
Speaker 2: Pods of America has brought you by sleep me, when was the last time you went to bed before midnight without scrolling Doomscrolling the latest news cycle keeps your brain buzzing, and worse, it raises your core body temperature. A body that's too warm cannot fall into a d restorative sleep. You're not just mentally exhausted, your body never actually recovered from the day. To fix is simple, lower your bed temperature. Sure you could put your phone down as well, but that's a miracle. Enter Chili Pad two point oh, the water based mattress topper that actually controls your bed temperature from fifty five to one hundred and fifteen degrees all night long. No new mattress, no renovation. It fits over what you already have. Chili Pad two point oh actively cools or warms your bed using water, and water is key here. Chili pad uses actively chilled water to cool to bed, actually pulling heat away from your body. It's like the difference between standing in front of a fan and jumping in a cold pool. I like, really love the chili pad. So it's basically just like a it. You know, it's done with water. But basically you put on your bed and then like you get in bed, your you turn it on. You could just make your bed really cold. It's so nice and refreshing. But then if you want to go to sleep, say, you know what, I want to be like eighty four degrees while I'm sleeping, which is the perfect you know, if it's you think it sounds so hot, you think so, but you're you It just sort of keeps you warm but not too warm, you know, but it's great. Visit www dot sleep dot mmy slash crooked to get up to two hundred and fifty five dollars off your Chilipad two point oh with code that's www dot sleep dot me. That's www dot s l e e P dot me, slash crooked, free shipping, free returns, and a thirty night trial so you can test it out, dream big, and wake up better. The headlines will still be there in the morning. You might as well wake up ready for them. Speaking of shifting and amorphous borders, we haven't discussed on the show, but Mitch McConnell has been absent from the Senate since he was hospitalized in mid June. His staff and others have tried to downplant. On July first, according to Dispatch audio reviewed by ABC News and other outlets, a person at Mitch McConnell's address was discovered unconscious and a cardiac arrest and EMT's performed CPR. This has led to rampant speculation that McConnell is somewhere in the twilight realm between life and death where he will be held and this is what the I think the conspiracy is, where he will be held until August third, because after August third, the November election would would before the next term, as opposed to for the remainder of McConnell's term, and Thomas Massey, who is obviously a free agent could run for the Senate, so goes to the conspiracy. Conspiracy theory, would you care to reckulously speculate.
Speaker 3: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 6: This wasn't really on my radar screen until today, but you know, then I'm seeing there was a reporter named Desiree Townsend who was quote tweeting Laura Lumer. So Laura Lumer, for folks who don't know, is this crazy far right activist who back in the day once chained herself to the offices of the Twitter building in.
Speaker 3: New York because they like can't like they got.
Speaker 6: Rid of her account or something or I don't know, I think a gay guy was there, Yeah, something like that. So she was like a fringe lyntic. But now she is very close to Donald Trump. There's all these reports about how she'll walk into the Oval office with a list of names of administration officials and get them all fired, including like high level people. I think she got like the head of the NSA fire. Right, So Laura Lumer is someone who has a lot of access at the White House. She tweeted a couple hours ago. Today, high level source close to the White House tells me Mitch McConnell is officially brain dead. He's not coming back.
Speaker 3: Now. That is obviously crass phrasing.
Speaker 6: But I and I don't normally believe her, but I do believe that someone close to the White House would tell her that. And then a journalist who apparently had like reported out or broke the story of Mitch McConnell's initial cardiac issues confirmed what she said. So there's just all this churn and it's not coming from like the kind of resistance left. It's coming from the far right spaces about McConnell's health, and there's just no transparency. And then his wife is in China for some reason.
Speaker 2: She was on a trip very soon after this had happened, which was a little bit strange. So yeah, but I will say, as far as ways for Mitch McConnell go out holding on to power, even even in the face of grim death, even in the face of the ultimate end itself, as he shuffles off this mortal coil, it's the way to do it.
Speaker 3: It's it's how it is.
Speaker 2: It is how he'd want to go. He'd want to go in some sort of nefarious plot in which he has kept alive to fuck Thomas Mass. I think that's exactly what he would want. And as much as I I don't approve of it, I approve of it. He died, He died with his boots on. Yeah, we don't know is the end.
Speaker 3: We don't know. We don't know if you're live or dead.
Speaker 2: Can't tell you something. When I worked for Hillary Clinton, Uh, when speaking of the issue we're previously talking about, Ario Charon had fallen into a comma. Remember he was a prime minister, is very a hawkish prime minister of Israel. He fell into a coma and I had to write this statement announcing that he had passed because we thought he was going to die at any moment, and it was going to be a statement from Bill and Hillary Clinton together and we went back and forth, and then it went up went over to the to Bill clint In office, and it came back and the line of it, the last line of it said, and Ario Scharon died with his boots on, And not a phrase I would have used. That is just what he wanted to because he was still serving as in a when he fell into the koma. He was working and then Ario Charon was in a coma for weeks, months, maybe longer. Was it year? He was in a coma for a very very long time, and we would have this internal debate being like, how long after you've fallen into a coma, are you no longer dying with your boots on?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I'm saying, do you just leave the boots on the whole time?
Speaker 2: Because like, he didn't die with his boots on, because that was he may have fell down, he got into a coma with his boots on. But we can't keep this sentence and this was weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll probably be more comfortable with the boots off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boots are off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his boots are the boots are off walking.
Speaker 2: Uh, speaking of being old, America turned to hundred fifty this week and Trump got to hold his big Freedom to fifty rally, the culmination of months of meticulous planning. Uh. There was dangerous heat, lightning, pandemonium, enough smoke to cause a Code red air quality alert. And then on the morning of the fourth of July, a white nationalist group called Patriot Front, featuring around four hundred masked men carrying Confederate flags and chanting Reclaim America, march to the Capitol good news. They decided to be climate contest and take public transit bad news. These Uber mentioned should have taken Uber because the master rays couldn't master the metro. Here's how it went. Given them minute crying, get out at.
Speaker 9: You the point there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a great photo circulating of these guys in their masks on the train and this woman just sitting there like, what the fuck is going on here?
Speaker 3: So these guys that they couldn't figure out how to use the metro.
Speaker 2: I think that they were trying to use One person was trying to swipe them in. But I wonder if they got a bit flummixed by the fact that you have to I think tap in and tap out. I don't know if that's still the case in DC. I believe it is. I think that's must have been confused by the tap in tap out. That's the situation. Uh So that was Trump's July fourth, a fireworks display that seemed like the Capitol was being nuked and that filled the entire region with gave a pretty uninspired speech. A lot of the there was a lot of people fishing out to trite us from the sad reflecting pool, which has I think been through enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, and I think that closes the chapter on the two and fiftieth birthday America deserves for putting this man in charge.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just the whole thing was just such a sloppy mess and a bummer. Yeah, you have people passing out, you got like, I mean again, Trump couldn't have predicted the weather. It's not his fault that it was one hundred and five degrees, but what is dangerously hot outside.
Speaker 3: The thing you do is you cancel your speech.
Speaker 6: Yes, you don't have your supporters line up for hours and hours and hours, and then you don't put secret Service in the situation where they're clearing out the National Mall because of dangerous thunder and lightning and the supporters are like accusing them of, you know, some sort of conspiracy theory to steal.
Speaker 3: From his big day.
Speaker 6: And the whole thing was just selfish and stupid and sloppy and half assed and it could have been really cool, and it's just a bummer it is now.
Speaker 2: Various Democrats had their own July fourth counter programming, including Zaron Mamdani, who gave a great speech just before the holiday that caused a bunch of conservatives to lose their mind. Here's a few moments from the speech which Mamdani delivered from Adesty's by George Washington, and with naturalized US citizens all around him.
Speaker 9: Ours is a nation working each day towards the perfection in which it was conceived, a nation striving each day to better itself. Therein lies the work of America, the striving, the bettering, the reaching towards perfection. What a privilege each of us has to live in a nation that every one of its inhabitants can shape. What a responsibility each of us possesses to prove ourselves worthy of all those who came before. What power each of us holds to bring America ever closer to the greatness so many have seen when they looked upon these shores. The greatness for two hundred and fifty years has been America.
Speaker 3: What a commy fuck.
Speaker 2: So I saw the reaction before I saw the speech.
Speaker 3: What did you think.
Speaker 6: You're like, oh, God, what do you say? And you watch it and you're like, oh, that's incredibly patriotic. It was like it was a very Obama message. To no surprise that I liked it, Like being patriotic and optimistic talking about America's.
Speaker 3: Flaws, but in a hopeful way.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's a very it's a tough needle to thread for a politician, especially if you're brown or black. And you saw it in the reaction where you had all these people accusing Zora Mandani of attacking his country or you know, being critical of it. It's like, guys, Trump literally says we were a dead country until I came back. You know, his view of America is unless he's in charge, it's dead, it's irredeemable, it's American carnage. We're making America great again.
Speaker 3: So it's just like this very.
Speaker 6: Frustrating, endless, stupid conversation about what it means to be patriotic. But I think, like I thought, it was a great speech. It was interesting that he decided to step up and do it because they had to know that this was going to be the reaction. But I imagine that it was just very important to him in this moment where Trump is trying to repeal birthright citizenship and all these kind of like pillars of what makes us a country that is great, that he wanted to be like a to voice the alternative view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I saw I was like, oh, that's so interesting. He makes interesting. He's going to do something. He's going to make a news we're news a news making speech around July fourth, and he's doing it because the podium is open. When the podium he's taking it right, like it's just it's open exactly, And I thought I was like there was a bill ackman, uh, And a bunch of people were saying, oh, he's even sitting at the desk wrong, right, that yeah, because because the desk has draw drawers on both sides, and so they saw him sitting on the side where and they said, oh, this dummy doesn't have to sit at a desk. And it really captured to me, like just the the US, first of all, the assumption that everyone but them is stupid, right, and that there were so many conservatives jumping in to say that this speech was dark and hateful, that like, how dare this person but some of them saying, how dare this immigrant who's only been a citizen for eight years criticize my country?
Speaker 3: Fuck you?
Speaker 2: But they didn't want to listen, right, because it's a beautiful and patriotic speech and he's very like, you know, you did the same thing with that speech around the Knicks winning where he's just you know what, like, I'm gonna there's a moment. My job as a leader is to make the most of moments as they come, and he's just so good at that. I think it drives him a little bit crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially people like Bill Ackman, where he's making an economic argument and going right at people like Bill Ackman. I think the line was like, the powerful think America is an arena of supremacy and the rest of us should be grateful for being allowed to visit. And he said how small they are, how weak? And I saw a tweet from Elon Musk from over the last couple of days where someone was telling him that he essentially saying you should oppose universal suffrage, and Elon said, I have wised up. So we've got this trillionaire, trillionaire oligarch suddenly coming out against all of our having the right to vote. So it felt important and timely because basically he was trying to say the powerful to try to divide us, to turn us against each other, and we can't let them do that. We need to come together and like fight for the working class and acknowledge America's flaws, but then continue to talk about how to make it great and greater.
Speaker 2: So it was it was nice to hear yeah, and I enjoyed the uh, the freak out over it, especially from people that I don't think they consumed it. I don't think. I think they just started going at it and assumed it was something that they wouldn't like, and like Fox News calls was you know, a dark and anti American, unpatriotic and have autic eyes. It's just a sort of a slop for the audience that you know won't see it either.
Speaker 3: Exactly, but not us.
Speaker 2: This is a slot for people who read the articles and you. You can support pro democracy media by becoming a Friend of the Pod. Go to cricket dot com slash friends. You help us build independent media that gets good information in front of more people. You get ad free episodes. You get subscriber only shows like Only Friends where We Really Let Loose. You get Dan's show Polo Coaster. You get a bunch of great newsletters, get a bunch of breaking news content without ads. It helps what we're building here, So please, please, please, If you're not a subscriber yet, become a Friend of the Pod and support, Tommy, thank you, and that's our show. Thanks for joining Dan and Alex Wagner. We'll back with a new episode on Friday. See then.
Speaker 1: Podsave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt to Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Canter, Charlotte Landisk, Carol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East