Speaker 1: And now your voice for Dodger Talk like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Phillies defeat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of six to two. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight. We have two phone lines open right now at eight six, six nine, eight seven, two, five seventy. We will check in with Jose Mota coming up at eleven fifteen. We will hear from Clayton Kershaw in a moment, and we also will lay out the plan that Dave Roberts laid out before the game for Mookie Betts when he returns to the Dodgers starting lineup, which is expected to be the first or second game on the upcoming road trip on Monday or Tuesday next week. So we'll get to all that, but first and foremost, the Dodgers lose tonight. The Padres win tonight, so the Dodgers' lead in the NL West is four games over the Padres, and with the Phillies beating the Dodgers tonight, the Dodgers are now one in four against Philadelphia after being swept in the second week of July, so Philadelphia now wins the season series. The only reason why I bring that up is the Dodgers, all of a sudden, are only two games back of Philadelphia for the best record and the number one seed in the National League. So that's something to keep in mind. And I mean two games behind in the lost column, which means they're basically three games behind now because if it's a tie, the Phillies will get the number one seed. So that's something to consider. But the Dodgers need to keep winning games because the Diamondbacks and Padres are fighting for their wild card lives and they're not going anywhere. They're right on the Dodgers heels. And I'm looking forward to the Dodgers getting Mookie Bets back. That means, for the first time in what six weeks, the Dodgers will have their three MVPs in the lineup at the same time. Having Mookie Betts, Sho he Otani, and Freddie Freeman back will certainly give them a boost offensively. But tonight, let's get to Kershaw. I mentioned last night, don't give up on this guy. Give this guy a chance, and tonight I feel like he proved a lot of doubters wrong because there was a lot of buzz in the press box. How long is Kershaw going to go? Is he only going to go four innings? Four and a third? Well, tonight he probably could have gone five. And here's the case for both arguments we heard from Dave Roberts earlier. I totally understand what he was saying. But Clayton Kershaw is a three time cy Young Award winner, He's an MVP, he's a future Hall of Famer. It's only at eighty one pitches, and I know he was in a little bit of trouble there in the fifth inning, but he already had two outs. He was going to face Trey Turner for a third time. Wouldn't you want to see what you have with Kershaw? And maybe there's more time for that, but I still feel like maybe you wanted to see what you had with Kershaw. But I also see Dave's point of view as well. It was the third time around the order. He wanted Kershaw out of there after eighty one pitches. He's coming off shoulder surgery, it's only his third start, first time in the fifth inning. I understand all of that, but there was a Japanese reporter that's been following the Dodgers since Otani has joined the team, and obviously they study the game of baseball just like us, if not more. And he told us that he felt like it was a sign of disrespect to take Kershaw out in that situation. And who are we to argue with a Japanese reporter and a former Japanese pitcher in this case, since they are the world's baseball champions, right World Baseball Classic? Japan won the World Baseball Classic, so they are the champions. Who am I to disagree with that? Who are you to disagree with that? So it's an interesting perspective as far as what went down in the fifth inning, but certainly a good sign that Clayton Kershaw proved a lot of doubters wrong and maybe even calmed down some fears in that Dodger dugout about what he can and can't do. And there's a lot more time between now and the end of the regular season to evaluate whether or not, or I should say, how long of a leash you would give Clayton Kershaw in a postseason game. Crazy to even say that, but it's the case right now, all right, let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Clayton Kershaw on Sports at LA.
Speaker 3: This one tonight, I felt felt pretty good overall. You know, I just made some dumb mistakes, and I you know, a couple couple guys got on basso too, which which shouldn't happen, So those were frustrating. But you know, overall, I think it's another good step in the right direction. And I just got to figure out how to maintain my pitch count, you know, and obviously my pitchcount will keep getting higher, but you know, you got to find a way to get through at least five, hopefully six or seven at some point, so, you know, just kind of fine tuning everything. But tonight there were some good, good parts of it.
Speaker 4: For sure. You have said going into the start you had made some changes with your delivery. Do you think that that was shown just in the results you were getting, especially early in the game.
Speaker 3: I think just overall my stuff was a little bit better tonight, you know, just a little crisper. I really could just kind of had better fastball location is probably the biggest thing. Able to kind of put it. I needed to for the most part, still with some mistakes and some ones that I want back, but overall it was it was a good, good building.
Speaker 5: Block going into this pitch account was like kind of eighty ish the.
Speaker 3: Idea or I don't really talk about it. I mean I think it's you know, if I had a quick fifth there, I probably could have gone back out. I don't know, but obviously the fourth or the fifth there through a lot of pitches. So yeah, Doc, I don't really talk about pitch count for the game or anything.
Speaker 2: You mentioned going deeper in games, But what building blocks are you trying to stack at this point? Or boxes if you're trying to check as you're coming.
Speaker 3: Back, I mean, nothing is just trying to pitch try to one games that Yeah, they obviously took you out after the shore at bad, but we're kind of okay with that. Trying to do you kind of understand the I mean, you never you never want to come out of the game, obviously, but you know, like I yeah, I mean I don't. Yeah, I guess, so, I mean I do what Doc tells me to do.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean at this point, are you kind of able to you know, I know, like in that Boone but I'm sure you want to stay in everything kind of keeping the long goal in mind.
Speaker 3: You know, like when click right now at this point, when you.
Speaker 1: Kind of look back at the night, can you kind of.
Speaker 2: Keep the long goal in mind?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean you want to win the game, you know, I think you know, health wise, I'm fine. So I don't think there's any when we're worried about Stan healthy. It's just a matter of trying to pitch a hit and be a part of the contributing factor to helping his team win games.
Speaker 2: All right, That speaks volumes right there. Health is not a concern with that shoulders. So in Kershaw's mind, he could have kept going even past eighty one pitches. And when you look at the way Dave Roberts used his bullpen tonight, he only used Joe Kelly to get Trey Turner out. If his bullpen was that then in low leverage, being behind like they were four to two, wouldn't you want to maybe bring Joe Kelly back out for another inning. I'm not sure if Joe Kelly is able to do that. Obviously, Bruce star Grattarol going down in the sixth inning sent things sideways nobody would expect him to go down after facing a couple of hitters and only throwing eight pitches in his season debut Game one fourteen, Grattarol, who had a right shoulder issue all season long, was finally able to make his season debut. And how unfortunate is it that on his eighth pitch of that sixth inning he goes down with a Grade three right hamstring strain. And from there Dave Roberts went to a very valuable mid season pickup and Brent Honeywell, you need a guy like that to do what he did tonight. But the game was four to two, He had thrown fifty pitches through two and two thirds innings, and they sent him back out there for the ninth inning. And all in all, Honeywell was asked to throw sixty eight pitches. And tomorrow you would expect the bullpen to be very fresh and Dave Roberts to be able to go to his high leverage relievers to try to win this series. Tonight, the Phillies beat the Dodgers six to two eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Manny and downtown. How you doing, Manny, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Dave?
Speaker 1: Good evening.
Speaker 7: Oh, what a tough loss tonight. I think this is tougher than some of the losses I've seen. I felt like Kershaw was on his own tonight.
Speaker 2: This was a tough one for you to swallow.
Speaker 7: This one was because I felt like Kershaw really had a lot of stuff out there tonight and was hanging in there tough, and it was tough to see him go down, you know, getting pulled in that fifth inning. That led to Gradarole coming in and you know, theoretically him blowing his leg out, his hansterring on. So you know, thoughts and prayers, you know, Graderole, hopefully he hopefully he bounces back.
Speaker 6: Dave.
Speaker 7: My question is tonight, I want to know when guys like Walker Bueller, Bobby Miller, when they're gonna come up and just help out this team, because I feel like we're carrying a lot of dead weight right now. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: Well, Walker Buehler is supposed to come back here in the next ten days. Bobby Miller has an adductor issue. Now, so let's see what Walker Buehler has. Let's see what he has and from there we can determine whether or not he will even make up more than three starts, because if it looks the way it looked before he went on the IL, that's not going to help the Dodgers. Thanks for the phone call, man, he appreciate it. Let's go out to Justin and Santa Monica. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 8: Justin, Hey, hey day, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 9: So I wanted to just talk for a minute about the training staff for the team, and specifically Thomas Albert, the head trainer.
Speaker 2: I mean with wow, not many fans know who the head trainer's name is. That's that's good headwork by you.
Speaker 8: Justin appreciate that.
Speaker 9: I really wish I didn't know his name, but the fact that we've been dealt and listen, some of this is lost, but some of this someone's got to be responsible with the monthly injury with an oblique and it took them what three months to realize maybe.
Speaker 8: We should go have him visit a chiropractice.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa, Justin, Justin, let's pump the breaks right there. That's not all on the training staff. They did as much as they could the player. It's up to the player to be honest with the training staff and figure things out as well. Because the scans were showing no issues with munseiz Obleague going back two or three weeks, So let's pump the brakes right there.
Speaker 9: Okay, So you're still telling me that three months time, even with scans. I mean, he's at the top of the best of the best. You think the Dodgers will want to have him in their employee and they still could it took a chiropractor or figure it out.
Speaker 8: Let me just move on with greater roll.
Speaker 9: Again, he's off for this many months rehabbing, Okay, you know he's gonna be amped up.
Speaker 8: Coming back on to the field.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they had him doing any sort of legwork, some some or something that just doesn't go after the thing.
Speaker 2: It's easy to go after eight pitches justin it's easy to blame somebody. But those things just seem to happen when and your injury plagued in your career. And that's Bruce star graderol to a certain extent. I have no idea why his hamstring gave out. But I am not pointing the finger at anybody on the training staff. I'm sorry, I'm not. I think that's like it's like blaming a coach or when the team loses, blaming the umpire or a referee and that's the reason why your team lost. I put that in the same bucket.
Speaker 9: I think there's got to be some accountability, Dave, I disagree. I think you've got to put a little bit on them.
Speaker 2: He's just if I felt that way. If I felt that way, I would tell you. But I really do believe in this training staff. They're the best, and they got a lot of them. They give a lot of attention and care to these guys, and if you ask any of these players, they all tell you nobody rushes them back and nobody gets them ready to come back to play better than this training staff. And that's coming from guys that have been on other teams.
Speaker 9: But it's not the rushing back, it's the fact that they land on the aisle that hasn't a concerned about him.
Speaker 8: En, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it all right, justin thanks for the phone call. Yeah, I know, Look, it's unfortunate you wonder like, what the heck this guy's been rehabbing all this time, It's game one, fourteen and he blows out his hamstring. How does that happen? Well, he's a big guy, number one, and number two, you've got to be serious about wanting to stretch and be prepared to come into a game. And I'm not saying Bruce Starr wasn't, But you can't put that on the trainer. You're telling me that the trainer's just ignored stretching his hamstrings before the game. At some point, there's got to be accountability for the players too, to prepare their bodies to play. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. And look, bottom line, injuries happen, Freak injuries happen, and that was one of the more unfortunate ones we've seen this year. And hopefully, somehow, some way Graderol can regroup by the time the end of September comes around. But a Grade three hamstring strain, I just don't see it. I feel like maybe his twenty twenty four is over, unless, you know, the Dodgers make a run to the World Series and he comes back somehow, some way. Let's go out to Eli, who was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Eli, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey Dave, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: How you doing? Eli? Do you know the Dodgers head trainer's name too? Do you have that type of knowledge?
Speaker 10: I did. Yeah, I knew it was Thomas Salvert. WHOA I'm I'm I'm big into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, what do you got?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was just I mean, yeah, we're facing the Phillies, so it's one of the toughest teams in all baseball. You gotta tip your captain, Christopher Sanchez, he's an All Star for a reason. Was great. You know, you don't expect him to go like six in.
Speaker 4: Or like a yeah pitches.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, he's still coming back. And you know, obviously you don't expect who's our gradal blow his hamstring. But Brent Honeywell did his job and he went in. He he did a great job.
Speaker 2: He did a great job.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's just like he kept it close. But the ninth inning, you know, he he's mainly been used for like one any the past couple couple.
Speaker 2: He's been used in a lot of different ways. He's a great long reliever, and uh, I was happy you were able to be here for another Kurushaw day for sure. And look, it would have been nice for the Dodgers to give Kershaw an early lead. This is not the first time the Dodgers have seen Christopher Sanchez. You would like to have seen some adjustments made against Sanchez. It's not the first time they've seen him. So I would love to see more adjustments made by Dodger hitters and you know, in game adjustments that we don't see and haven't seen quite frankly in the last five or six years. Let's go out to Long Beach, Damien, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Damien? All right?
Speaker 11: How you doing? David? I got a couple of things. I think you're right on those injuries. You know, who knows what's going on? And uh, you know, I agree with you. And it just happened, you know, and I think the players do have to take responsibility for it.
Speaker 2: And uh, ask that's say it is what it is.
Speaker 11: It is what it is, right, And I think if the Dodgers hired a trainer, I think he'd be a pretty good trainer. You know, he's not gonna slack off and let these guys run around. So and then the second thing on Kershaw, you know, he got out of the fourth inning out of a jam. He got first and third and then struck out bomb to the second half. So that kind of showed me he was. He was, you know, kind of ready to pitch. And I think he had a good outing, and I think you didn't want to ruin it by going out there in the fifth and just get hammered and just ruined and everything that he picked.
Speaker 2: He went out in the fifth inning, he got the first two outs of the fifth inning, even though he had some traffic. Right, just because a picture has traffic doesn't mean that he's stinking to join up. He's Clayton Kershaw, for God's sake.
Speaker 8: I know he was.
Speaker 11: I know he wasn't. I'm just saying he got out of a jam in the forest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what pictures do. They get out of jams, right, great pictures get out of jams.
Speaker 11: I understand that. And I just think if he left him in and then something would happen where he gave him a home run the turner.
Speaker 2: Didn't you find something out? You understand, you find things out. You got to find things out before it's too late. You know what I mean, Damian, You got to find things out about this Kershaw. And the one thing that I know that is the same from the previous version is that he competes his ass off and I'm going to take that any day of the week. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, we're not talking about some guy the Dodgers picked up off the waiver wires. Not talking about a guy that is making his season or excuse me, major league debut. He's not a rookie. This guy can find ways out of things. And the one thing about Kershaw tonight and moving forward with the fastball where it's at the margin for error, the biggest thing nobody's talking about when it comes to Clayton Kershaw post surgery and with the fastball being eighty nine to ninety miles an hour, the biggest thing for Kershaw is the margin for error is a lot smaller because if he cannot command his fastball and it gets the big part of the plate, there is going to be damage done and he is well aware of that. And tonight I love seeing his curveball, and partly I feel like the reason why he was so good tonight was because he stayed true to himself. He didn't try to mess with the split change up as much tonight. I know he's been trying to get a feel for that. He did not have one between his last start and this one, so he kind of scrapped it and he went to his curveball. With two strikes, that was a swing and miss pitch for him, and tonight he got more swings and misses than he had in his previous two starts. He got ten swings and misses tonight, And a big reason why was because he went back to who he is. He's a slider, fastball, curveball pitcher that tunnels the pitches really well. I think that was the biggest key when I was watching him tonight. He went back to his true self. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Polo and San Diego. We haven't heard from Pollo in a long time.
Speaker 5: Are you doing I welcome?
Speaker 8: Come?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I talked to team last week when you were out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, we're cheating on me.
Speaker 5: With two Kates, Huh, I'm sorry, and let's not forget about this slider.
Speaker 4: So I have a question.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the Milwaukee slider? Are you talking about her shot slider?
Speaker 5: Which one?
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't forget about his slider.
Speaker 5: Listen. I have a question about a rule. In the third Kysh schwarb but is on at the plate. I think the country was three, three and one, and then Austin As tried to steal and then where's me throws about a second? Right, so the inning is over. Why is Kysh Swarber was allowed to come back the next inning if the inning is over? Maybe I don't know about about this rule.
Speaker 2: But what happened was was number one, It was uh, it was a pitch in the dirt. It wasn't really a cat stealing. They ruled it just a put out from the catcher to uh the shortstop at that point in time. So that was inning over, and Schwarber was the batter that was still at the plate, so he didn't strike out. That was the reason why.
Speaker 5: Oh well, I've been in Belger for three years and there you go, there's over something to learn and then you say something about that. So because the Phillies beat the Dodgers, you know, three games to none in Phillies and then by by them winning the series. Does that mean that that if we go to the to the playoffs, they will have the old field advantage.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, yeah, they would.
Speaker 5: Because they win the series, righte.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 2: No, if the Dodgers have a better record than Philadelphia, they will be the number one seed in the National League. But if the Dodgers and Phillies finish with the exact same record fighting for the number one seed, the Phillies would get it because they owned the tiebreaker in the season series and they would have home field advantage if the Dodgers and Phillies played each other in the NLCS.
Speaker 5: You're well of information, Dave. Good to talk to you, my friend.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you, Paulo, appreciate it. Hope my slider was good too. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll be joined by Jose Mota and we'll take more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Phillies beat the Dodgers tonight six to two on AM five to seventy LA.
Speaker 1: Sports on air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David BASSA.
Speaker 6: Three year old son, Maximus Kean Brasis drums.
Speaker 1: In the ICU.
Speaker 6: Freddie flitters of all into the right center field gap. It's gonna get all the way to the wall. Freddie makes his turnaround and he is standing up on second with his five hundredth career double.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman in his second game back since return dealing with his son Maximus' illness. Great that Max is doing better and great to have Freddie Freeman back. He doubles for the five hundredth time in his career in his first at bat tonight, and Freddie Freeman becomes just the sixty fifth player in baseball history with five hundred career doubles. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. How about this hall of famers? Al Kline, Frank Thomas, lou Brock, Vladdie, Joe Morgan, rock Carew, Jeff Bagwell, Brooks Robinson. All of those guys never hit five hundred doubles in their careers. Freddie Freeman has something on those guys and one day should be joining them in Cooperstown. Seven two, five seventy is the phone number David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. Yesterday, we shared our conversation with Mookie Betts about his preference on where he wants to play, if anywhere, and he obviously wants to play shortstop. He feels like he still has something to prove there. And Dave Roberts today announced before the game that when Moki does return to the starting lineup that he will be playing shortstop. He will be the Dodgers shortstop next week in Milwaukee and he will not be leading off for the Dodgers. Dave said he wants to break up the two lefties Otani and Freeman, and that's a departure from what we saw the majority of the year that was working with Mooki leading off, Otani hitting second, and Freddie hitting third. So now it will be Otani leading off, Mookie Bets hitting second, and Freddie Freeman hitting third.
Speaker 12: He'll hit in the second in the two hole.
Speaker 2: Conversation.
Speaker 12: I talked to him, Yeah, I talked to him. I think that, you know, it's hard to argue show Hey, uh starting the game off in the one it breaks up Freddy and Mooki, And I like the idea that those two guys are going to potentially get the most at bats that the left hand I think so, I think for me that's and I didn't want Freddy to hit forth, So I think that that's part of it. The other part of it is I just feel that, you know, as great as Mooky is, you know, show Hey really has a chance to change a game from the first pitch on.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Dave Roberts's decision. Mookie Betts goes on the I l and is no longer the Dodgers leadoff hitter. I was not expecting that. I never thought that was in question. I thought more where he was going to play was a bigger question. And like I said last night, this is where things are starting I'm not sure that's where things will end up as we go into the postseason, especially Mookie playing shortstop. I feel like when you look at tonight's outfield alignment with Kevin Kiermeier and center and Jason Hayward and Andy Pae hasn't right. The Dodgers pieces to the puzzle in the postseason would fit a lot better if Mooki Betts was playing right field and Miguel Rojas was the shortstop. And I feel like the Dodgers are going to evaluate Mooki and the way he throws and the way he handles that position between now and mid September before they make a decision. All right, let's hit out to Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moto will let you add to that conversation where you taking off guard when you heard Dave Roberts say that Mooki Bets would a be playing shortstop and he would not be the Dodgers' leadoff hitter when he returns.
Speaker 4: Yes and no, no, because I know that the subject has been brought up before, even during spring training, and Dave Roberts said, well, I'm going to keep my mind open, brought and right now, this is the best way for us to line up. Mooki is a lead off hitter. Obviously, there's very few like him looking at him out of Home Mercy's hit leading off game. And on top of that, you know, Dave didn't seem that concerned about the matchups with the consecutive lefties with Otani and Freeman because of who they are. But now you got the options to say, hey, show Toni is now our best bass dealer. Showho Tani can go there and break things up with Mookie and Freddy and then will Smith and then Monsely hopefully in the oscar to really have a little bit more defth and more challenging scenario for the opposing pictures and the bullpens on the front of playing shortstop, I can only say Dave that I've only seen mooki best work out at shortstop, and to me that was the biggest indication that is part number one. Is he the best shortstop? No, he's not. Okay, dolliers have eyes that are more than capable fulfilling the position. But he is so determined to get this done and do it right and right now, they consider that to be the best option, but perhaps, as you mentioned, the best scenario is the one where he is in right field for the Dollars actually now the way that gavit Lux has been playing, and there's not a knock against Molky, but they have options now at shortstop, including one that was there before, Miguel Loss that can go out there and play the higher caliber Jose.
Speaker 2: How can it be a knock when we're talking about maybe the greatest defensive right fielder we've seen in the last twenty thirty years. I mean, some would even say that saw Willy Mace play that Mookie Betts as an outfielder is on par with Willie Mays.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say a knock. I'm not knocking him down to the shortstop because of who he is and how the Dolliers play with him there now he knows and understands that things need to get better as a shortstop. My point is, or Mookie Bets a couple of things worried about coming back from a wrist injury. There's gonna be more contact in the infield, and it could be that you are tagging somebody, it could be that you're diving for a play, it could be that you go over your risk, and those things do concern me. There's more contact, it's going to be in the infield than the outfield. As I said, the best option is right field. But I can see why they're going to stick with this since he's only been working out at shortstop, and that's just the biggest indication to me that he's going to come back at short step and hopefully, you know, play better than he did before.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us. After the Phillies beat the Dodgers tonight six to two, what were your thoughts on what you saw from Kershaw. Obviously everybody was a lot happier after his start tonight compared to what we saw in San Diego.
Speaker 4: I like what I saw from Kersher and Curse is a guy that the morning question the morning shows you that they're still a little bit left. I think I have to give him a bed and throw that out. You know, even if Trade Turner, you know at the wall heart against some my previous at back. This is not just anybody. This is Clayton Kershaw. And if there's a limit of the pitches, I can understand, But in a situation like that, I am betting on handle that that anybody can bring out of that bullpen to go out there and get the job done. It at least I know baseball managers and front officers are big on having positive outcomes for a player to sleep on and bring back again. And for Kersh in his voice, you can hear that, hey, it's step in the right direction. Beautiful, great. But also I love the fact that he's thinking, well, maybe next time five six or seven innings. So his mentality is not just I'm getting by through five innings. His mentellia is I'm thinking every single step tonight was one that we're getting to propel them to get out there to get you six or seven innings.
Speaker 2: What was the biggest pitch for him tonight to get those swings and misses? Was it the sequencing or was it vintage Kershaw using the curveball when he had hitters on two strikes with two being cursed.
Speaker 4: Dave, you know that that curble comes at an angle on the plane sometimes where makes your fastble more effective. At eighty eight to ninety one, you can go out there and use the same plane and make it run a little bit more when it gets on hitters, because when guys are timing breaking balls, I'll say, when they're coming curveballs, their eyes are trained to go up and down, all right, so they're going to try to get that barrel under the baseball when it comes down to hitting a curble. That's that's true launch angle there is. It was explained to me clearly one day by Trey by Justin Fernersay, that angle as a curble, it's not the same as as a fastball, you try to get under the baseball. Now, going back to the explaining this, so you throw a fastball letter high and you're under the ball, thinking, there's that curble again, my eye still a curble because velostear's that ninety five and before you know it, as you did today, did very well taking something off of it and using the fastball in the waves you need it without as you mentioned also earlier, Dave, having to go to that change up.
Speaker 2: All right, Hose, thanks a lot for the inside. Appreciate it as allays. We'll see you out here tomorrow night, and all Dodger relievers, high leverage relievers should be available.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow win the series. I guess of what Dave said today about feeling good about feeling it out of this one. So everybody available, go up to and take care. But hopefully we'll see De Gavin Stone show up again.
Speaker 2: That's right, no doubt about it. Thanks Jose, AliOS, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Great Spanish Radio broadcast with Pepe and Ingez and Fernando Valenzuela. Let's take one more phone call since Mohammed in Azusa has been so patient. Mohammed, you're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for waiting, Thank you.
Speaker 8: Thank you day for being the call. I've been actually waiting since last Saturday.
Speaker 2: Saturday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll tell you why if you don't mind. So I felt like that was one of the worst losses when we were off five zero and there was a rookie who was on and Dave Roberts took out, uh took him out with same thing five and two thirds, you know, with two outs, he had already gone. And today, if I'm like the thame.
Speaker 2: Like hold on, I have to. I have to. It's a lot has happened since last Friday. Mohammad, You've been on hold for a long time, all right. Last Friday in Houston, justin Robleski sixth inning. You're still upset that Dave Roberts took.
Speaker 8: Him out, and exactly, My it's you know, the one the reason I'm upset and the reason I actually called twice, but unfortunately you couldn't take my call like the time. Right now, My thing is that it's he's a manager. He doesn't manage correctly. It's about time. I'm a diehard Lakers and the Dodgers fan. It's like it's enough is enough? Like today what he did? I agree with your first opening statement. I would have loved Kershaw and absolutely it's one zero, like, let the guy see. We still want the game. The end result is the same thing, right, so why not see where Kershaw is? And my problem with David is he just keeps doing this when in that same game Phillips comes on, You give him a short release, you know, give two runs, maybe three. He lets him Day four and then it's like, oh yeah, you know, like then now you're taking him out when there's like no like the game.
Speaker 2: In that situation. We're going back to last Friday. It was a five to nothing game and in that sixth inning there were two outs. Are you telling me it's out of the question for Evan Phillips to get just one out, just one out, and that's a low leverage situation, and you need Evan Phillips. So Dave Roberts explanation after the game was trying to pump up Phillip's confidence for the long term, not just looking at that one game. Did that register at any point in time with you? Did that seem valid as far as not just worried about the here and now, but also trying to keep one of the more crucial relievers confidence back up. It did not work, obviously, but he tried.
Speaker 8: Of course, Yeah, does that register with you? Did register? My only point is I think it broke his confidence when you given you give him a rope of four runs and guess what it became five to four And that was all on Phillips, right, So my point is keep it to two maybe three, and it's not his day. It's okay, let the other guy come. It took one pitch and bomp. You know, I get what you're saying, but like three runs or four runs might be an argued of you know, like it's easy to argue like, hey, this is why they did it. My only point is, like today's situation, how are you taking out Kershaw when he just had a back.
Speaker 2: There? And uh and a Japanese media members said it was disrespectful to take Kershaw out. Who am I to argue with a Japanese former pitcher and reporter since they are the champions of baseball and they obviously know a lot about baseball? Who am I to argue with that? So I think we agree to disagree on that Friday Houston game. Obviously frustrating, but I understand where Dan was coming from on that one. But obviously I understand the fans were upset, and jeez, Mohammed, you were still upset since last Friday. I mean, have you, uh, what have you been thinking about between last Friday and tonight? Have you been able to go to the supermarket? Have you been able to do your daily routine? I mean that must be rough. Thinking about Robleski coming out day to day is good.
Speaker 8: My only thing is I just want Dave to like play, you know, like go off of his gut instead of analytics every time. And that's I just personally feel like that's hurting the Dodgers a little bit. It's like, oh, Analytics says, take him out here.
Speaker 2: But that wasn't analytics. He was just uh. I guess the part of it was. I mean it all analytics are part of the uh as. He likes to say, you got to bake the cake, and that's part of the ingredients. But I hear you, Mohammed. I hope now you know, I feel like you can move on with your life out there in AZUSA. You know, you never know where you might find yourself and Azusa out there, so hopefully this released some of that pressure I have.
Speaker 8: I appreciate you thinking my call.
Speaker 9: Thank you too.
Speaker 8: I we'll call again.
Speaker 2: Okay, Mohammed, thanks for the phone call. Wow, poor guy was winning since last Friday. I'm glad we got him on. I was thinking about just wrapping it up and announcing that the Chicago White Sox finally won a game. How about that They are cheering in the streets on the South side of Chicago. The White sox twenty one game losing streak is over. As the A's fall to the White Sox tonight in Oakland five to one. The White Sox now improved their record two twenty eight and eighty eight. Congratulations to the White Sox. And then shortly after the White Sox won their first game in twenty two, there was an earthquake in the Central Valley, So don't know if that was you know, the big guy upstairs celebrating as well. That'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight tomorrow, Gavin Stone will be on the mound. He's nine and five with an ERA three sixty three, trying to right the ship because the ERA is over seven in his last five starts. He's going up against Tyler Phillips, who is three and one with an ERA of four thirty nine. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson on Sandy Kofa's Bobblehead Night. Then I'll do it for us thanks to Colin you back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium. Dwayne, where did Dwayne go? Dwayne's gone? Once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers fall to the Phillies six to two. Have a great rest of your night. Try to get through Ben Maller, who is next on Fox Sports Radio See him