Speaker 1: And hello, Hi, how are you here? We go Happy Wednesday, hump Day. Today is the thirtieth day of July, Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. So where do you want to start today, boys and girls. We've got all I got to talk about the tsunami and the big earthquake over in Russia that affected the Pacific. We'll start there. We've also got some more in depth new information about the shooter at the high rise in Midtown Manhattan, the starvation in Gaza. They are moving in food faster, better, but Israel has a slightly different take. We'll play that for you. And a big economic day to day. The Federal Reserve met that kept interest rates unchanged. Oh no, President Trump's going to be all upset. Yes, but they kept as as Wall Street expected. There was a ninety nine percent chance they were going to leave rates unchanged. They did. Plus we got a bunch of economic data out today as well. But this tsunami in camp Chekta Peninsula of Russia. If you if you fly to Asia from the United States, you go up over Alaska and you come down the east coast of Russia, and that is where the Kampchukta Peninsula is located. That is where I saw this last night, and I couldn't believe my eyes. They said an eight point eight on the Rick scale, and it was about twenty minutes later they had like eight point two, and then twenty minutes later it had seven points. I mean, it was just one massive earthquake after another. And I grew up in earthquake country. A lot of people don't think Seattle is, but the whole the Ring of Fire is basically all the way South America, along the Pacific, South America, up Mexico, western west coast of US Canada, Alaska, around over through Asia, Japan. It's earthquake country. And so you know, when I was a senior in high school, we were about a week away from graduating, so we had one foot out the door anyway, and we were in my high school and earthquake hid. It was big. I killed a few people. We were in a room that literally we this part of the high school collapse, and part of it was the room that I was in. So myself and my classmates, they say, don't run. We bolted out of there because we felt the ceiling coming down on us. So they have and and then living thirty some years in California, I mean had I had my share of earthquakes there. Worked in San Francisco, went to school in the San Francisco San Jose area. We had earthquakes, not all, not every day, but they were not uncommon. And on the West Coast. People laugh because the media goes crazy when there's a three point five. People in California don't even blink. Maybe there's a five something that you know, a few cans of beans will be knocked off the shelves. But that also for people in earthquake country, they kind of roll their eyes at it. But when you see an eight point eight and it turns out it was I believe, the sixth largest earthquake ever recorded, and I would have thought it was the biggest, but it was the biggest in a long long time. So once that strikes, then that's right along the Pacific Ocean, there goes the tsunami waves. And the tsunami waves are below the floor of the water. They're down below the surface, and when they they're fine until you get to a shoreline where this where the water the surface basically comes up to the shoreline, and that's where the big waves can come in. So there were six foot waves in Kahului, which is Maui. There were Crescent City, California, way up in the northwest corner of California, they had four foot waves overnight. I was with my family. We went on vacation to Hawaii. One time. We landed in Maui and they said, hurry up, hurry up, hurry up. The rental car places are closing. So I went over and I said, what's going on. They said, oh, we've got to evacuate there. There was an earthquake. I forget where it was, Alaska if I remember right, and we have a tsunami wave warning. So everybody's got to evacuate the airport. There is right sea level if you will, and just a hop, skip and a jump in from the ocean. And so I got in the car and the local traffic turned on the radio local traffic reporter. If you've been to Hawaii, you know that every street they use a lot of j's and k's and their names and they all sound the same, and they were directing people to higher land. So we start following along, and I started heading toward where our hotel was, which was down on the beach and the police had the roadblock, and they sent us to a to a high school and an evacuation center, you know, and I've heard about those her but we went. Yeah, we went to this high school and they red Cross came over and they had snacks and water and things like that. Whereas while we waited for the tsunami waves to come crashing in to where our hotel was. Well at the time, I yes, I was working in radio and television at the time. So I went over to a neighbor's house, knocked on the door, and the lady was very nice. I said, I've worked for the media and I'd like to be able to phone in what's going on, And she said, come on in, and she said, she said, my husband has a fishing boat, you know, a trawler, a big commercial fishing boat. And he took off. He went down to get the boat and take to bring it out to sea. And I said, he's going out to see Yeah. She said, if you're out in the water some distance, the waves go underneath you. The danger is at the shoreline. So I called in the whole thing about it, and we waited, wait to wait and guess what the water. The thing you look for is you watch the beach and you watch the water, and the water starts going out like it's low tide, and it keeps going out, and it kept going out further and further, and you're going, oh boy, here it comes. It's going out. But the big wave is coming. And it turned out to be kind of a trickle of a wave. I'm glad, but the surge can last for hours and hours as the waves under the ocean finally make shoreline. Whether it was in Japan, or in Hawaii or in the West coast of the United States, they all were on tsunami watch. It's been dropped now, but always keeps you on your toes. The wave waves under the water move as fast as five hundred miles an hour, so in a very short period of time, within hours, they've gone all the way across the ocean. I'm riding long. As a seismologistic Yale, this is her comment about the big tsunami and the big earthquake.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always very sobering when we have a very large underwater earthquake that does trimmer trigger excuse me, a tsunami that travels all the way across a very large ocean basin, So you know, this event is really a reminder that we are vulnerable to tsunami waves that are generated by large earthquakes. Thankfully, what we've seen in the last eighteen or so hours, it's that the tsunami waves, while they are measurable a tsunami was generated, have not generally been so large to cause extensive damage, and we can certainly be thankful for that. Interestingly, tsunamis do travel very fast, they travel about as fast as a jet airplane flies. But the Pacific Ocean is a very large ocean, and as we've seen, it takes about eighteen or twenty hours for the waves to reach the other end of the Pacific Ocean basin. So certainly I would encourage anyone listening to heed local advisories about when is it safe to you know, be back down on the beach, be back in the water. As as Chris mentioned, you know, even after that initial first wave has passed, you know, for several hours afterwards, sometimes we see unusual currents or some you know, later successive waves. Sometimes the later waves can actually be a little larger than the first wave. So you know, my advice would be to certainly always heed local advisories, in local warnings about when it's safe to be back on the beach or at the coastline. Again, whenever you have an earthquake this large underwater in a subduction zone environment. So that subduction zone is a tectonic setting where we have one tectonic plate that is diving beneath another. In this case off the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, we have the Pacif Plate that is actually diving beneath a portion of the North American plate. When you have a large subduction zone earthquake that happens very shallow, what that does is that displaces some of the water column, and whenever you have vertical motion of that water column, that can trigger a tsunami wave. And so in this case, the tsunami wave was triggered. It travels out in the open ocean. Actually in the open ocean, those those wave heights, our amplitudes are actually pretty small. So tsunamis are not a threat to ships or ships or boats out on the open ocean. But when tsunami waves hit that coastline, they can they can steep in the waves basically steepen and their amplitude grows and that's when it poses a hazard. So this earthquake, as you said, the sixth largest earthquake that has ever been recorded since we've had modern seismic instruments, a really vivid reminder of these kinds of hazards. And you know, luckily we were very prepared for it with our earth quake monitoring and with our tsunami warning networks.
Speaker 1: So for those of you that have experienced earthquakes, I mean eight point eight, it's not linear. I mean that is the Richter scale, and it never seen one that big of I saw that report last night, my eyes bugged right out. So earthquakes, by the way, I know, I don't have a life, I get the kind of a Google. I signed up for the notification of earthquakes around the world, and there's been a ton of them down off the coast of Australia and down near Antarctica, off of this the some of the islands out in the deep Southern Pacific. So there's been a lot of earthquakes lightly and then this one popped up last night and I whoa, that was huge. So we've got that that's behind us, hopefully this New York City shooting. They're digging in and they found some more information. They found a second note that the shooter had left at his apartment in Las Vegas. But we also have just a summary from some of the investigators that we follow. John Miller, from former NYPD guy talking about the police type of work, but also the CTE. I want to get into this because for years I've heard about the CTE. I'm obviously I'm not a medical expert, and he stretched the imagination, but I thought, this doesn't make any sense to me, because you had guys like Aaron Hernandez who played for the New England Patriots, and he was a young guy who was twenty seven when he died, and they found lots of CTE with him. Frank Gifford who played for the New York Giants one hundred thousand years ago. He lived well into elder I forget what age he died at, but I think he was in his eighties. And so he took and those one they had the old leather helmets. They didn't have the helmets that they have today. He lived a good long life. So how is it that you can have two football players, one that is crippled in his twenties and the other one who doesn't have a thing happened to him. So well, let me start with Sanjay Gupta. Doctor Gupta is a neurosurgeon, a brain surgeon, and he has studied a lot about CTE and the fact that this shooter proclaimed in his suicide note that he thought he had CTE. He played high school football in southern California for two different high schools. Apparently a very good running back. The only critique of him was he wasn't very big, so he did not get accepted by colleges or the NFL. But you've seen there are some running backs that are not very big, but they're really slippery and quick, and apparently that's what this guy was. He was very talented, but he was convinced that he had CTE. It could have been that he knew that his mental abilities were starting to be ill. Say it nicely, but here's doctor Sanjay Gupta talking about this whole thing about CTE.
Speaker 3: The only way you can definitively diagnose this is that autopsy after someone has died. But you know, people can have strong suspicion of this if you've had a history of repeated blows to the head. You develop some of these symptoms that are oftentimes associated with CTE, people might start to believe, look, is this me? Is this a possibility for me? As well? If you look at some of the studies. For example, there was a study that came out in twenty twenty three people under the age of thirty seventeen to twenty nine who all worried that they had some of these symptoms. They donated their brains to science after they died. Obviously, forty percent of them tested positive for CTE. So you can have a strong suspicion and maybe a validated suspicion, but you cannot know for sure, so you know, it really sort of is in these broad buckets of cognitive symptoms behavioral symptoms, So you look at things like memory loss sometimes that's confused for Alzheimer's if someone is older, impulse control problems, lack of judgment, depression, suicidal behavior. Even as people get older, they may develop movement problems. Tremors sometimes can be confused with Parkinson's, So CTE, you know, a relatively new diagnosis as far as these things go, and it's often a great mimic of other things which can make it very confusing for people. Yeah, there is evidence of this, and it's you know, it was a little surprising to me as well. You typically think of someone like a and Hernandez, who, as you know, John was twenty seven years old when he passed away in prison, died by suicide. This gunman also twenty seven years old. But you look back sort of at some of these studies and you find that even people as young as seventeen years old, seventeen to twenty nine. There was this study done showing that one hundred and fifty two brains were donated to science people, all under the age of thirty and forty percent of them they found CTE. Again, the youngest person being seventeen years old, So it is possible. One thing we are learning is that there is probably a vulnerability for some people. Some people may have a short career a few blows to the head still developed CTE, compared to others who have a long career, like an NFL career, lots of blows to the head, they never developed CTE. So trying to figure out who is who, why some people develop and others don't, That's what a lot of people are trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly my point is that Frank Gifford was an old man and had lived a long life and took a lot of blows to the head and had a very long successful football career and then broadcasting career, and then you got Aaron Hernandez who got it early. So did this shooter have CTE. Will find out after they do the autopsy. I'm sure they're going to tell us on that. But it back to the police investigation part of this. Here's John Miller, former NYPD.
Speaker 4: Well, the motive seems to be centered around his idea that he suffers from CTE. When police searched the car, they found zoloff antidepressive medication zomatriptan, which is generally associated with migrain migraines in pain, and an amount of cannabis which could be recreational or could also be for pain relief or migraines. But his notes talked about CTE, particularly a documentary called It was a frontline documentary about CTE and his impressions that the NFL's denial of this for years, according to his interpretation, is something that caused his suffering to be worse. Going into that building. You know, you've seen the picture. He's walking across that entryway with that long gun and he walks into the lobby spots. The police officer opens fire on him at that point when he wounds the NFL employee, that's the only NFL employee that he actually wounds, injures, or shoots, and he does it while he's aiming at the police officer. You see them both go down at the same time, likely from the same one or two bullets, and then he ends up in the wrong elevator. It isn't clear, but authorities are looking at the theory that he was going to the headquarters of the NFL at three forty five Park Avenue, and that it was his belief that that was the NFL building and that whatever floor he got off at would be the NFL, which is what led him to running into the open elevator, pressing the first floor, which was thirty three, and ending up in Roodent Management, where he literally went into hunting behavior, stalking people and opening fire. He had a concealed weapons permit he was able to purchase the three point fifty seven magnum the cold python that was found loaded in the car in June, which is not that long ago, and a friend of his identified as Rick, supplied him with the main part of that AR fifteen rifle, and then he built the barrel and the stock and the rest from that part that came with the serial number. When they ran that and it came back to it was sold to Rick. Las Vegas, Metro questioned him NYPD atf the FBI are on their way if not there now to talk further about why did he give him the did he sell him that? But if you note in that suicide note he left behind, one of the last things he writes is tell Rick, I'm sorry about everything, So he may have had a clue that this was going to get his friend jammed up.
Speaker 1: By the way, now they have determined Rick is a fellow employee security guard at the Hosteshoe Casino in Las Vegas. And as far as the second suicide note that they found out his apartment in Las Vegas, apparently it was to his mother and father and he wrote to them and said, when I look into your eyes, I see disappointment and I'm sorry. So he was I don't know how much of this was he was blaming on CTE, But again we will find out. Back to John Miller.
Speaker 4: When he opened fire in the lobby, people began running through the Now they have the stanchions there and they have the glass things that slide together and then come apart once you hit the censor and it finds your autherise. People didn't take time to find their idea and touch that. They literally broke through the glass stanchions. So after that he just walked through the broken glass between them and went to the first elevator he could find. They're looking to trace that weapon and figure out how the long gun got into his hands, but they're also going to look at what were those encounters that brought him to the hospital twice? Were there were there the proper notifications in that he was issued a concealed weapons permit. He was still working as an armed security person for a casino he had been with Caesars. He had moved a horseshoe and it was Sunday when he didn't show up to work that they first encountered some kind of problem. And of course we now know the day before that he started driving across the country specifically to do this thing.
Speaker 1: Oh then there's this gentleman's his name is Jonathan Wackgrow. What he does is he's one of the top security consultants for corporations and corporations. It's like the United Healthcare executive They have security, but a lot of the executives really don't want much to do with it. They feel it's too much and it costs a lot of money. But this is a guy who makes a living and advising those corporations. He's of access that this individual had in bringing the armor light rifle into the building and then launching his attack right away. In the free flow that he had from the front of the building, all the way he'll pass multiple banks of elevators deep within the building to eventually stopping where he did. Now, we don't know why he stopped at that elevator bank that would eventually bring him up to the thirty third floor. Some believe that because of the access control measures that are in place, that was a point of vulnerability. There was somebody coming out that the gates open, the elevator door was there, and he sees that opportunity. But to me, just that level of access and agility he had to maneuver inside again is something that needs to be looked at. Now that we know this type of threpresents itself. I don't know if he had ease of access. I think it was his naivete. He did not know that the whole building wasn't the NFL. He thought it was the NFL building. There's all kinds of companies that are in that building. And the other part about it was there was a woman who had taken the elevator down to the lobby and when the when the door opened and she walked out, that all he knew was that was an open elevator. He didn't know that the bottom level Florida only went from thirty three to forty four. So he pushed the first button, which was Ford thirty three. That's how he got to Ford thirty three. It wasn't because of any genius on his part. And I again, I mean people. And the fact that she got off the elevator and he did didn't bother her at all, didn't she her, didn't scare her, She got off, he got on. He had no idea that that elevator only started at four thirty three. Well, listen, first of all, let's give credit where credit is due. Since nine to eleven, the corporate security program, specifically here in New York City is become the best in the world. These buildings are fortified to the nth degree, but it doesn't mean that they can't be improved, and they are designed based upon current threat environment. The thought that someone would be bringing in an armor light rifle into the lobby of a midtown Manhattan commercial building wasn't in the rubric of the threats. Workplace violins, handguns, that is a commonplace and there are protective measures there. So right now this is a seminal moment for corporate security programs here in Manhattan to go back and reassessed because the threat landscape has now changed. We know that this was a successful attack, and property owners need to now go back and make sure that their programs are a to this new threat environment. I don't think it applies to just high rise buildings in Manhattan. I remember years ago and I worked in San Francisco, there was a disgruntled client that went up many many forwards into one of the high rises in San Francisco and shot and killed a bunch of lawyers. So this is corporate security. It may seem like it's a waste of money and time, but it is to try to prevent some of these heinous crimes. Switching topics to the starvation in Gaza, and the whole business about was are the people really starving there? I think the answer is clear. President Trump has said it's clear. He thinks it's clear. Most people do think it's clear people are starving there. But Michael orm who was an ambassador from Israel, was on this morning talking about this, and I thought it would only be fair to play their view of the starvation in Gaza.
Speaker 5: Well, it's clearly a tragic situation, and it's one that's not new. The UN has been worrying about starvation in Gaza wolf since exactly October twelfth, four days after the October seventh, twenty twenty three attacks. So we hear again and again and again it got starving Gazans, but we actually don't know the degree which Gosins are really hungry. It's true the Israeli government, not just Israel government, these really army, has set again and again that there is enough food going in. Even they even count the caloric intake per capita of every Goazin, saying is enough. The problem is the distribution that the UN will not distribute the feud the food, and then if it is distributed, Ahamas will either capture the food, it will sell the food, it will give it to its own fighters, and it will kill those people who are trying.
Speaker 1: To distribute it.
Speaker 5: So it is a hellish, hellish situation. At the end of the day, I think that Israel to accept a large degree of responsibility and do whatever it can to relieve the situation. I'm not a spokesman for the government, but i will tell you since the very beginning of this war, I've strongly advocated for flooding Gaza, flooding it with humanitarian aid and medical assistance precisely to prevent this type of situation from emerging, because there has to be a solution. I think Israeli is actually doing much much more than it has been doing, and that they again the IDEF, the Israeli Army is saying that there is enough food going in, it's just not being distributed, and the distribution has to be greatly improved. And even these distribution centers that have been set up with an American company I have to be better organized and guarded, which is a major major problem.
Speaker 4: Just simply security.
Speaker 5: I've spoken to Israeli soldiers who have come out of Gaza, who have been around these distribution areas, and they say they can actually see Hamas terrorists going over and stabbing people who are online to get food, and then labor claiming that those same Palestinians were shot by Israeli soldiers. This is the type of situation we're dealing there. We've seen the Hamas. I put up a picture of a woman with a star so I supposedly starving baby, but it turns out that this child is suffering from some type of horrible genetic condition as well, so we don't know. I'm going to proceed on the assumption that there is a hunger situation or an acute hunger situation in certain areas of Gaza, not in all of Gaza, and that this has to be addressed to the greatest degree possible by Israel in cooperation, in cooperation, finally, and not adversity from the United Nations.
Speaker 1: So the reason I wanted to play that is because the media has been full of blaming Israel and the fact that the people of Gaza are starving and it's Israel's fault. In war, there is always propaganda and one of the things that Hamas has been a pro at was ever since October seventh, they had a PR firm that basically went out to try to get the media of the world to blame Israel, make them the villain, not the fact that Hamas rampaged into and killed over twelve hundred innocent people in their homes. They were able to turn it around to where people have been the public relations has been that Israel is mean and nasty and shame on them, and that the poor people of Gaza are the ones that are the victims. Hamas is the victim, whatever it might be. So you heard Michael Orm basically saying that Hamas is out there basically stopping the distribution of the food. What the truth is, I don't know. We'll find out maybe later when history books are written about that. But ask of now, I never heard anybody else try and defend Israel in this. Michael Orm obviously would and did. Just getting word out, I mean, it's a little harder to do with the podcasts that a live radio show, but just getting word that Kamala Harris has made it as and that she is not going to run for a California governor So this came after a long period of speculation about her political future, not running for a California governor, she in a statement said, for now, my leadership and public service will not be in elected office. I'm looking forward to getting back out and listening to the American people, helping elect Democrats across the nation who will fight fearlessly, and sharing more details than the months ahead about my own plans. So she hasn't ruled out running for president, but she said for now it will not be elected office. But she's going to go back out and listen to the American people. In other words, she's going to go on the campagntrail. So I guess you can take whatever you want from this. I take you that she's going to try and run for president again in twenty twenty eight. You want to talk about money and jobs, ADP, they came out. They come out with the private sector projection of what they think happened regarding a job market for the month of July. Sometimes they're close to what the government says, sometimes they're not. But they said that their numbers came in one hundred and four thousand private sector payrolls were added last month compared to sixty four thousand that were estimated, So ADP saying the job market in the private sector was pretty strong last month. This Friday we find out what the government says meantime in government reports today. Second quarter GDP gross domestic product, broadest measure of the economy. It went up three percent. It was three point zero percent of it expected to go up two point three This second quarter GDP growth of three percent compares to drop of a half a percent in the first quarter, but that's because in the second quarter there was a huge decrease in imports, which in this equation subtracts from the GDP calculation. So this is still very distorted numbers. By Liberation Day, a lot of people stocking up on things before the tariffs hit, other things where the tariffs are hitting. The Personal Consumption Expenditure Index, the one that FED likes very very much, this was up two point one percent. Basically, they're saying that GDP is a market basket of everything. Personal consumption expenditure index is basically what you and I buy, what most people buy, and that the prices on that were up two point one percent. The core rate when you take out food and energy up two and a half percent, so it's still running hotter than what the Fed would Likensumer spending was up by one point four percent. That however, was weaker than the previous reporting period, so people are still spending, but that's a very weak increase in consumer spending. And again, a lot of these numbers the timing between first quarter second quarter. All this the Liberation Day impact, and the tariffs were on and the tariffs were off. So it's still interesting. I'm reporting you the numbers to you, but I am not. I don't think you can make a lot of hay with these numbers because of everything being distorted. As far as the Fed, they met, they came out today and they announced no change in interest rates. So the President wanted them to drop interest rates. There is a Federal funds rate kind of predicts what's going to happen with the interest rates. Sixty eight percent chance that they will drop interest rates in September. That's a big increase from what the market place has been predicting in the past, so they'll probably drop in September, but right now, Nope, they came out, so the Fed funds rate is four and a quarter to four and a half percent. Jay Powell said growth moderated in the first half of this year, that there's still uncertainty according to the FED about the economic outlook, and it remains the uncertainty remains elevated. That the unemployment rate is low, the labor market is solid, but that inflation still remains somewhat elevated. An increased tariffs, according to the FED, are pushing up prices in some categories of goods. Possible inflation effects from tariffs is what they're worried about, and that is what they are sitting on their hands than not doing anything about interest rates for now. So the economies chugging along, seems to be doing fine, labor market seems good, but the FED is being very stubborn about lowering those interest rates. So I'm sure we will hear more about that from the president. Wall Street today. Well, it basically was flat until the market got the word from the Fed and then it dropped. So basically unchanged most of the day, but at the end of the Dow Jones industrials down one hundred and seventy one down now at forty four and four to sixty one s ANDP down eight NASDAK went up thirty one points. Price of gold was up a dollar. That's it. We'll take it at thirty three twenty five. And the price of oil, ohh, up a buck, a little more than a dollar. For the first time in many weeks, if not months. Oil price is back above seventy at seventy dollars and some change. So that's all we have for today. Thank you for coming by. We'll be back tomorrow. Hope to see you them