Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is Simply Safe Home Security. When it comes to home security, traditional reactive measures after a break in has already begun, just don't cut it. Simply Safe it's the leading proactive security system designed to prevent the disaster entirely. I'm sitting with someone who's set up a simply Safe system all by himself.
Speaker 2: That was it? How did it go?
Speaker 3: A dream?
Speaker 4: Easy?
Speaker 3: And I you know, not like I'm a carpenter, you know, not Bob Bielo over here, remember him? Yeah, you know, it's not this old house in my I'm living. It is an old house, but it's not this old house. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I set up simply Safe, easy to do, customize it, great customer sport, great app, Great recommend it Boom.
Speaker 1: We simply say, if you can customize your system to fit your needs. It's more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. The app guided set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can just install and arm your system in under an hour. There are no long term contracts or cancelation fees. Monitoring plans start at around a dollar a day. Don't miss out on the extended fourth of July deal just for our listeners. Right now, you can get a massive seven eighty percent off your new system. It's simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's an incredible seventy percent off your home security. It's simply safe dot com slash crooked. Hurry because there's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Patavia America.
Speaker 4: I'm Dan Pfeiffer and I'm Alex Wagner.
Speaker 5: John is off this week. On today's show, Grand Platner suspenses campaign against Susan Collins, and now there's a very crowded, very chaotic race to succeed him. The Warner Ran appears to be starting back up again, even though Donald Trump is confused about the name of the country he's attacking. That's a real thing. Then, former North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper talks me about the campaign for Senate. Alex, thanks for being here today and replacing John.
Speaker 4: It's a pleasure, although I mean we all miss John whenever he's away. Crazy shit happens.
Speaker 5: Stan It's true he spends his vacations in the middle of online fiascos. That's either here or there. Okay, let's start with the Platner news. Two long days after Politico broke the story that Pitner had allegedly raped a former girlfriend, Platner posted an eleven minute video on Wednesday evening saying he would file the formal paperwork to withdraw his name from the ballot, but also sharing a lot of other thoughts too. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: I think, as many of you know, over the past couple of days, I have faced some very serious allegations, and I just want to make it clear this is all false. I think it's really important to understand why this is happening in the timeline, why this is happening right now. I only have until July thirteenth until I am officially the nominee. This was the last week to try to get me off of the ballot. That's why this is occurring. It's not the false allegations though, that have brought us to where we are. It's the fact that they are being used by the political establishment to put structural pressure on us. What comes next needs to come from the people. I'm not trying to dictate to anyone who it should be or how we get there, But I will say this, it needs to be open, transparent, and democratic.
Speaker 5: As of this recording on Thursday afternoon, Planner has not actually filed the paperwork to have his name removed. The deviline is five pm Eastern Time on Monday, but there is reporting that he will wait until then to do it. Alex, what are your thoughts and his decision to drop out in the message in that video?
Speaker 4: Asshole? Asshole, asshole? Those are my thoughts. First of all, nobody needed to hear Graham Platner uncensored for twelve minutes, and the conceit in that video is preposterous that I guess we're meant to believe that a rape victim is a crisis actor, and that crisis acting is being used by the Democratic establishment to get Graham Platner out of the race, never minding that Platner's exit from the race greatly complicates the race and potentially throws it further into jeopardy. And there's no mention we didn't we thankfully did not play the whole video. But he never mentions any of the women who came forward on the record talking about violence and aggression, if not outright assault and rape. He never mentions and pushes back on any of those things. He just says this is all part of a deep state plot. I mean, it's totally outrageous. But maybe the most egregious part of it, I think is the fact that he suggests the system is hopelessly flawed and corrupted, and that a machine politics would not abide an insurgent grassroots campaign. The mission of the establishment right now is to quash real reform and real accountability, which is, you can have jaded views about the establishment, and I'm sure there's every reason for Graham Platner to have some of those, and for some of his supporters too, But right now, if the goal really is to oust Susan Collins, Graham Platner needs to make people believe. He does not need to further disillusion his supporters. He does not need to spin paranoid conspiracy theories. He does not need anybody in democratic politics and Maine to feel like this system is entirely rigged against them. He needs people to believe that there can be a good outcome. He needs to put whatever momentum he has left into the next candidate, and he's done exactly the opposite. I mean, I just think it's completely unconscionable that this is the way this guy is exiting the race.
Speaker 5: I my take on this is the subject line of your excellent newsletter, subtech newsletter, how the hell? Which is fuck grand Platner like this? I agree with everything you said. What is so infuriating about this is if he truly cared about getting people health care, about stopping a genocide, about making the economic and political system more fair in this country, that none of those things can happen if we do not beat Susan Collins exactly, And by going down this path of conspiracy theories to as you say, to dissolution supporters, he is making that less likely. He's making it harder to accomplish the things he did. This video is Trumpian in its nature. It is conspiracy theories, it's denial. It's making it entirely about himself. Now, Throughout this video he talks about how the movement they built and how whatever the process is, that the main Democratic particm company must be true to that movement. Now, it is impressive for a first time political candidate to beat the two term governor of the state and beat the d SEC and chructure and all that. That is an impressive thing. But like, just don't crawl so far up your own ass. You got one hundred and fifty thousand votes in main right. This is not the Robert Kennedy nineteen sixty eight campaign. This is not the Aboum two thousand and eight campaign. It is the smart thing for the party to do, to have a process that brings in the people who support a grand planner, because we do obviously need them to win. But this whole thing that this was some magical, messianic thing that he put together, he himself, and he only he put together, and we must pay respect to what he did. It's just fucking ridiculous. It's counterproductive. Just go away. It's the best thing he can do for the things he claims he cares about.
Speaker 4: Of course, he's waiting till Monday. It's like, first of all, time is of the essence every It's like paraphrasing the bear. Every second counts, and this asshole is waiting till Monday just because give me a fucking break. Secondly, what end to what? Why file the paperwork be done? We need to move everybody needs to move on. I say this in my newsletter and I genuinely believe it. Like, let Dan, we have a long history here, but let this be like the last conversation we have to have about Grand Planner, because the focus needs to be on Susan Collins.
Speaker 5: And we're going to get to Susan Collins after we finish their next fifteen minutes talking.
Speaker 6: We are no.
Speaker 4: Well no, I think, because I will say, and I've said this before, and I'm sure you agree with me on this, I'm sure there needs to be at some point a real I don't want to use proctology as the word, but like a real examination of soul surging about the lessons learned here.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're gonna We're going to do that today on this podcast in just a moment.
Speaker 4: Bless you. I'm getting ahead of myself.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, but let's before we get to that, because I do I do want to have a conversation about how we got to this moment, and I want to talk a little bit about where you were right and I was wrong and what it was, which we will get to, my promise, but I want to talk a little bit first about what happens next im prove with some of this on Polar Coaster, my show for friends of the pod subscribers. If you're a subscriber yet, I really don't know what you do with your life, and maybe you should visit cricket dot com slash friends who.
Speaker 4: Change that, but any of who I'm a believer.
Speaker 5: Provided that Platner does formally drop out, the main Democratic Party has until July twenty seventh to replace them. They've said they'll hold a convention to pick a new nominee and we'll make all the details public soon, although there's been a lot of reporting on what it is, and they claim that transparency will be of the utmost importance. What do you make of the convention idea? Is there a better one? There's a way not to make this process so messy?
Speaker 4: Noah, you got like, hey, listen, I'm the last one to have a better idea, but I would like to see I mean, there's been talk about town halls and debates. I mean, I think there has to be some before these delegates make the call. If it is in fact the leadership of the state party that is going to decide who the nominee is, one would hope there would be some concession to both you know, those delegates and the public in the sort of the and the notion of choice by having a full or full ish airing of their views. And and that's obviously going to have to be fairly abbreviated, but there needs to be some difference to you know, helping educate the public and the delegates about who these people are. I've done a glancing search on the internet, but that's not sufficient, and they haven't had to talk about their positions in a fulsome way. So I think that you know, there need. I would love to see some kind of public format where there whether it's debate, town hall, whatever, that's moderated and that's a you know, official feeling beyond just interviews with the press and podcast appearances.
Speaker 5: Yes, and so the way that we think this is going to happen is there would be this convention and I think would sort of model what would be like a brokered convention at a national party convention in an election year, and there would be I think in some ports of five hundred delegates. The sixteen I believe counties in Maine county parties would elect delegates.
Speaker 4: I think it's over six hundred delegates.
Speaker 5: That's why the hundred delegates from the sixteen counties, and they will So this is going to be party insiders under all circumstances, and like there's just no way for actually, you can't hold an election in this time period, so it's going to be this. This is probably this is going to be messy, for sure. There's going to be you know, candidates are going to try to you we'll talk about who the cans are in a second, but they're going to try to influence who the delegates are in all these places. They're gonna put up slates. It's gonna it's gonna be messy. Now, this is probably the best process if you want to involve as many people as possible and have the most transparency, because the other alternative is the state party committee just votes. And you know, this is that this is you know, we're in a weird bizarro version of twenty twenty four where we're losing a nominee very close to an election about the same number of days actually, and instead of what happened in twenty twenty four, were just one candidate, all the mcical becomes a nominee, We're going to have a process of some kind, and these people are going to compete, and maybe one of them will come and stand out, and hopefully at the end of this press ever can come together. So there are no good answers here, I guess is my point.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I'm looking forward to the mess. I think everybody's hungry for some sense that there's a real choice and there are real races and this is not a foregone conclusion on the part of party elders, and it's not a fed a company and Maine is pretty like from my podcast Runaway Country, we interviewed one of the people, Dan Cleeban, who's we're going to talk about this, one of the potential replacements for Platner. And there's so much frustration at the idea that Washington and Chuck Schumer and outsiders and elders know better and have involved themselves in this race. There's real desire to have some openness and all of this come what may.
Speaker 5: So as for who might run, intentional candidates started testing the waters even before Platners that he was leaving the race. Here's a small saal of how they're pitching themselves.
Speaker 2: So I'm the only candidate that's demonstrated that I can win statewide with a Conservatives, Republicans, and you know urban young people that are much more liberal.
Speaker 7: Maine deserves a fighter in this seat, and I will be that fighter. I will fight for Medicare for all because in the wealthiest country on Earth, nobody should ever go bankrupt over a medical bill.
Speaker 8: I own a small business here in Maine. I created built it from the ground up out of my garage. You know, employee over one hundred manors pay a living wage, provide one hundred percent of their health insurance coverage. I mean, I'm an outsider. I'm not an elected I'm not a career politician. I've never held elected office.
Speaker 5: That was former Main Senate President Troy Jackson, the state's former top health official in Need Ropshaw, and brewery owner Dan Cleeban on your podcast, Alex Runaway Country. Indeed, they've all said they will run. So I have Secretary of State Shennon Bellow's former congressional candidate and political operative Jordan Wood, former Platner staffer in congressional candidate Page Loud for her Senate candidate David Costello. State Rep. Valley Geiger is considering running two, although she hasn't officially said so. It's a lot of people. Can you find anyone compelling in this crowd? What do you make of him?
Speaker 4: I mean, I listen. I talked to Dan Kleban, who's the bar owner, the brewery owner. Nothing goes together like oysters and beer. And he was going to run last He has an interesting backstory in so far as he was going to run in last July and was told not to by the d SEC, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, which is of course under the aegis of the purview of Chuck Schumer, and is an example of just how fucked this process has been since it's an inception, right, and later dropped out of the race and endorsed what he entered the race, but Platner had sort of won the hearts and minds of a lot of Mayners at that point. He subsequently endorsed the governor, Janet Mills, and then dropped out of the race. He's compelling as kind of a sort of surrogate for the everyman, working class Maynor that Platner represented, even if some of his biography was a bit hazy around the edges as far as his working class Bondfie Day. Troy Jackson sounds like he's the person that most you know. He's gotten an endorsement from Rocanna, who was a key endorsement for Grant Platner. At least from a national Democrat. He I believe is a fifth generation logger from Alligash, which is like Blessed Maine and all their outdoorsziness, brewers and oystermen and laggers. He's a former president of the Main Senate. He has some experience. He's you know, I think he has the progressive bonafidees that people are looking for. I got to stop saying the word bonafides. Naravshaw is a really interesting one. He was acting I think director of the CDC for a minute as well. Yes, which makes me a little worried, given that the CDC has become very politicized, and you know, former CDC director and someone who is going to be asked about COVID. It's just like, I am not a COVID a vaccine denier or a COVID skeptic. But it's extra baggage in these insane and tumultuous times. I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 5: I am all tapped out? On having opinions on Maine Senate candidates. Like, the truth is, I don't know any of these people well enough to know who would be a candidate. Sad thing is we're not really going to know when it comes time to pick the person. This is a very abbreviated process. I hope there is someone in democratic politics who was investing more than these six thousand dollars that the Yahoo's who recruited Grand Platner used to vet him and to do like full vets on all of these people so that everyone knows everything you possibly can know, because whoever this person is commanded a massive scrutiny because if like one of the tests will be like normally a main Senate candidate does something not obviously what Grand Platner has been accused of here, but you know, had some bad online you know in a different world of different race, and some bad online posts or something else would be like a little speed bump in this race. With this level of scrutiny after what happened with Platner will be giant news. So you've got to make sure whoever we pick, can we stand that scrutiny. That's I guess that's sort of the main thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two weeks, no big deal, great times to do, like vetting town Hall's convention, No problem, but they've got grand Platner's waiting until Monday to drop out.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, so, because we definitely couldn't use the next and seventy two hours or so. It's fitting you're here for this episode because, as many of our listeners know, every time there's been big Grand Platner news or main news, it's just been a coincience. You and I have been on mic together, either on Pod Save America, on your podcast on YouTube.
Speaker 4: At one point, Dan, we talked about doing just a main senate podcast.
Speaker 5: Pod Save Maine. Yeah, you will not be doing.
Speaker 4: That now, Yes, Pod Save why if there's still a Senate race going on. Okay, I'm just kidding. We don't need to necessarily on. But here's how in the fox Hole we've been.
Speaker 5: Yes, we've talked at nine more than anything else over the last year.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: This episode is sponsored by Better Help. We're finally talking about mental health openly, but actually reaching out for help is still incredibly difficult. New data from Better Help confirms why Better Helps twenty twenty six State of Stigma Reports Survey two thousand Americans and reveal that eighty five percent of Americans believe getting support is wise, yet seventy four percent say society discourages people from doing so. With over thirty thousand therapists, Better Help is the world's largest online therapy platform, having served over six pillion people globally, and it works but an average rating of four point nine out of five for a live session based on over one point seven million client reviews. Better Helps therapists work according to a strict code of conduct and are fully licensed in the US. Better Help does the initial matching work for you so you can focus on your therapy goals. A short questionnaire helps identify your needs and preferences, and their twelve plus years of experience in industry leading natural filment rate means they typically get it right the first time. If you aren't happy with your match, switch to a different therapist at any time from there. Tailored rex Everybody should have therapy. You know it's great to have therapy. People need it. It helps even if it's never been something you've tried before. It's always worth trying. Don't let stigma stand in the way of support. Start therapy with Better Help sign out and get ten percent off at Betterhelp dot com slash PSA That's better h e LP dot com slash PSA.
Speaker 1: Positive America is brought to you by Mint Mobile. There are things in life that you don't want to be transparent, like your swimsuit or your search history you woint line, but when it comes to your wireless bill, transparency is everything. That's why mint Mobiles. Wireless plans have no gimmicks and no gotcha's just high speed data and reliable coverage on the T mobile five G network, and right now, all plans are fifteen dollars a month, even unlimited. Mintmobile took what's wrong with wireless and made it right with premium wireless for fifteen bucks a month. All plans come with high speed data and unlimited talk and text delivered on the nation's.
Speaker 2: Largest five G network.
Speaker 1: You can even bring your current phone and your number. Choose from three, six, or twelve month plans and say goodbye to a monthly bill. Ditch overpriced wireless with mint Mobile. It's so easy. Sign up online get three months of premium wireless service for fifteen bucks a month. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash crooked. That's mint mobile dot com. Slash crooked. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: There's no catch.
Speaker 3: Upfront payment of forty five dollars or three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen dollars per month. Equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speeding coverage very see mint mobile dot com.
Speaker 5: And it needs to be said, you've been a Platiner skeptic from the beginning, the very beginning, before anyone, before the Reddit posts came out, before the tattoo, before the more recent stuff. You were a platiner skeptic. And I will say here that you were right and I was wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be right, man, I didn't know. This is not about me being right and you being wrong. It was I even right. I don't even know what that means. I just well, you were right.
Speaker 5: To be skeptical with cranmpid was.
Speaker 4: Yes, I guess I was skeptical.
Speaker 5: Yes, Would you like to take a victory lap?
Speaker 4: I don't want to take a victory lab. This is not a good moment for I mean, first of all, it's not a good moment for Graham Platner. It's not a good moment for the women that he allegedly tormented and assaulted. It's not a good moment for the Democratic Party because I think we're at a real crossroads here in terms of how the Democratic Party manages candidate recruitment and what it means to answer the toxic maxculinity of MAGA. And it's not a good moment because the focus has been taken off of Susan Collins, and so it's hard to take a victory lap. I mean, I hope out of this there's a little bit. The thing about Graham, I was not like some sage and like saw into the future or anything, but I was always just the bro glow was a little bit. I didn't get it. I didn't like the way I was never a Janet Mills supporter, but I didn't like people summarily dismissed her, and I felt likes her, Yes, and that's not to say that she should be the nominee, but I feel like there's like a late there was always like latent misogyny around it, and I felt like, you know, in the retrospect, and maybe this is just hindsight's twenty twenty or whatever, but there are a lot of women in a lot of places who were like, never are really that on board and kind of felt a little bit sheepish saying I don't know about that guy seems kind of like an asshole. I mean, I got into fights with Platiner supporters, you know where. The context of the conversation was he has talent, he might be able to get the job done, but he seems like a dick, And there was a real and like the dickishness may not just be a sort of side effective ambition, but may be like a more complicated and potentially serious character flaw. And as it turns out, I think that's what it was. This is someone who's completely self absorbed to the point of maybe almost like a certain psychosis based on that exit video, and certainly has some demons he really needs to wrestle with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I when I say some merely dismissed Mills. Let me say what my actual reposition was, because this is all how you and I first have this conversation. Was I Janet Mills gets in the race, the d SC endorses her. Five minutes later, Chuck Schumer endorses her. And we know at the time that the DSCC has been trying to clear the field for Janet Mills, telling people like Hannah Pingre and these other candidates in Maine to run for governor, not run for Senate, because Janet Mills is going to be is the chosen candidate Democrat establishment. My view at the time was that I thought that was a big mistake for the DSCC, that if the DCC is going to get involved in a primary, they better be on certain that they have the best candidate. And I didn't think you could look at what happened with Susan Collins in twenty twenty what happened in the country in twenty twenty four in declare beyond a shadow of a doubt that a seventy nine year old, unpopular two term governor was our best bet. I was a commence Grim platin Er was a better bet, but I thought the vote voters of me and should pick it up. Now, I was intrigued by platin or for sure, I'm not going to pick that. I'm not going to dispute that. Like I've been thinking a lot because I was wrong here. I don't like being wrong. It happens a lot. But I've really tried to think about like where, like where I aired in this and there are a couple of places, and I'll and so I'll say what those were. The first is if I have a bias or you can even say a blind spot. In politics, it's for outsider candidates who did not grow up their entire life wanting to be in office. Yeah, Like that's why I like Barack Obama over Hilly Clinton. That's why I like, I would really loved better work when he was running for Senate and was intrigued by his potential as presidential candidate. It's why I supported Malanmi Moro in the Michigan Center racist cycle like that, Like that's like that that's what gets me most interested or candidates like that. I think they have the potential to be the best candidates and they can make the best leaders because they're just like more they've lived a normal life. They're more human, they talk more like a human, and they're less risk averse, you know, the people who spent their whole lives deciding, like what mistakes not to make to avoid being to avoid coming off their path to higher office generally.
Speaker 4: Or not authentic lives.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I think that makes you a better candidate. It absolutely does. Now that will blow up in your face a bunch, because those are those candets are by definition higher risk. They have higher ceilings and lower floorce and and like. And so that's why I was intrigued by plat Air, Like I thought, to beat Susan Collins, you needed a higher variance candidate, someone who could do something different than that Sarah Gideon did or all though the people came before. And I was not convinced that Janet Mills could do that. And I do believe that that was actually the right call. Not that Platner was the right person, obviously he was not, but the Janet Mills was the wrong candidate.
Speaker 4: When we see that now that's born out and that we have even now.
Speaker 5: And you know, and so and then the second the thing that you know that I feel I'm mad at myself about is, you know, as we went through this process. You and I had first of this conversation there we knew nothing about plant and then we saw their online posts, and you know it was the things he said were horrible, and I thought there's a real chance that could be disqualifying both in the primary and the general to voters. Right, But I did believe naively apparently the story he told about being a person who was dealing with PTSD a dark time in their life in drinking and did a bunch of things and then change their life improved. And I do believe that we should leave space for people who make mistakes to still be in politics.
Speaker 4: Of course, I think redemption and empathy are like things we need to cultivate as a society beyond politics.
Speaker 5: And I believed that, and I believed, and I actually still believe this. The story he told about how he got the tattoo was true. Now what I've come to like, I do not belie believe that he knew it was Nazi tattoo, and I certainly don't believe he was a secret Nazi from all the things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with Tim Miller on this though. I think he got it then figured out what it was and then kind of used it as a like, you know, cocktail point.
Speaker 5: I think, yes, I think he lied about when he discovered that it was a Nazi tattoo. That that I have come to believe, but I don't. There's this is the guy who was not shy about sharing his opinions online. So I feel like if he really was a Nazi, we would know that. Yeah, now you could say that the Nazi tattoo. One thing people say is anyone who gets the Nazi tattoo for whatever reasons has bad judgment. And that may be, but a lot of people in their twenties when they're on leave from warren drunk, have bad judgment. And should that mean you have.
Speaker 4: A Celtic band around your foresap? Right?
Speaker 8: Have?
Speaker 5: I have no tattoos.
Speaker 4: I have a bunch of back tattoos. The bunch of butterflies that I regret. Now there shamrock on my ankle.
Speaker 5: I love they're not Nazi uh butterflies? Correct?
Speaker 4: I actually have no back tattoos.
Speaker 5: I don't know, not that l pocus audience.
Speaker 4: I don't have a toe ring.
Speaker 5: AnyWho.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: But the other thing I regret, and this is the thing where I really started to get very worried about granp. Patner was the when the story came out in May about him sexting other women while married. And it's not that people can't make mistakes in their marriage and still run for office. That happens all the time. It was that that happened so recently that it really brought into question the redemption story that I had naively believed from him. Right, it's one thing to make mistakes a different part of your life. And then the story he told was he made a bunch of mistakes, he changed his life, he started working, he got into politics. But that wasn't the story. That wasn't the reality. But even then, as like his wife said, they worked through with counseling. We all followed their fertility journey to get like it just seemed like they had put it behind them. But it really made me wonder, like what the next thing was?
Speaker 4: Right, and then he lied to everybody, and then he lied to everybody.
Speaker 5: But the thing when I look back on all of that is I don't believe a liar is a really, Like that's not helpful advice, because how do you don't know someone's a liar until you find out later. What I think I should have paid more attention to was that back in March, you and I did a Political Experts react where we were looking at ads that were running in that race. Is include the first negative ad that Janet Mills launched against Platnir, which had a bunch of women reading like reacting to the things that Platinir had posted, and the one that we're there and you made this point to me, and it really has been in my head for the last few weeks here is like that what he said about minimizing rape and that sort of inherent misogyny should have been a much bigger flag. Like that is a sign of something else now that I like, I wish I had, I wish I'd paid more attention to that in this discussion and not and that that was separate and apart from some of the other things that he said. They were just stupid and offensive. That was dangerous and offensive.
Speaker 4: That just for I'm going to paraphrase it a little bit, but that was the Reddit post where he said people should take some responsibility not get so fucked up that they end up having sex with someone they don't mean to, which is deeply ironic. Considering the allegations against him, Can I ask you something, Dan, And I genuinely don't know what I think about this because we talk a lot about Schumer and obviously this was just a totally facocta situation where the d SEC's intervening to great the detriment of the race. But like Chuck, Schumer is also picking candidates in a lot of other swing states and in putting the heft of the d SEC behind people like Mary Peltola and Roy Cooper and Shared Brown and people who are good candidates for those races, and maybe they would have gotten there regardless of Schumer's involvement. But like, are we and I genuinely don't have an answer to this? Are we focused on this because he just did such a colossally bad fucking job picking the candidate in this race.
Speaker 5: What he did in Alaska, North Carolina, in Ohio was he recruit candidates who could clear the field themselves. They were candidates so good, so well known, so universally believed to be the best candidate, no one run against him. So it wasn't like there were a bunch of other people running that Jenny Mills was not that candidate.
Speaker 4: Hills didn't even want to run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the other thing, right, And also mainez has stayed with lots of Democrats. Alaska, you know, there's only one. The recruitment list for Alaska was Murray Pultola. There was no one else, right, it was Pultola or bust Ohio. It was shared Brown and there was a long gap between one and two on that list. North Carolina got a few more Democrats who could have run, but Recooper was far at the top that list. So once you got those was it. It's where I didn't like what they did in Michigan backing Hilly Stevens.
Speaker 4: There's a sexus element of all this as well that could end up not working out. Who knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I My general view is Church Chyumer, the DS, the d SCFL should recruit candidates. They should if they think some of the best chruction, what's going on the phone to try to convince them to do it. They should do that when there was an active primary going on, and then they put their thumb on the scale and they take that choice away from the voters. Now, when I first wrote this and was first upset about it, it's because the d SEC back candidate always won the primary. Politics has changed so much in the last two years that that's actually become in albatross around people's next as opposed to like this huge asset. But at the time, it was you're you're the d SC. You could pick the candidate and take the essentially take the agency away from the voter, which is what they were trying to do in Maine. That did not work in Maine, and so you know, you know that it's like, it's not that the d SEC and tumor were wrong in every instance, it's just they were wrong in this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and the dynamics of it are particular, and the outcome could have been meaningfully different if Chuck Schumer hadn't tried to clear the field and do what he did, and in fact, I think in some ways elevate Platner in the course of all of that, Right, he became a poster child for defiance and grassroots activism and and you know, saying fuck you to politics as usual.
Speaker 5: So the same thing happened in Michigan, where by putting the thumb on the scale for Haley Stevens, he elevated Abdul and then one of the worst things that happened to malogmorrow was a report I think in political or somewhere else that said Schumer would be fine with either Haley or Mallory. So all of a sudden, Abdul got to go out and say all the time, I'm the only candidate that chucktion reposes.
Speaker 4: In this race and continues, I mean continue, yes, yesterday.
Speaker 5: The thing I've been struggling with this conversation, this has been a let'd say, it's not been a fun time online for a podcast associated with Graham Platner.
Speaker 4: Speak for yourself. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: I mean, as you should have your moment.
Speaker 4: But has been fun and hasn't been fun.
Speaker 5: I've tried to struggle with what, like the row lesson is here, because it shouldn't be that outsider candidates are bad.
Speaker 4: They're speaking so broadly, like this guy, you didn't have to know that he was a dick from the beginning, But once the Reddit posts started coming out, like right, I'm all for redemption, but there were a lot of data points.
Speaker 5: Yeah you know that that I mean that that is that is the that is that is the true. But I think what I'm saying, like, for example, there was this Biden aide who's on CNN today who is saying basically taking Platner comparing him to Abdul l side and saying like also unvetted, same consultants, And it's just absurd because Abdul has run for governor and has been a government official in Michigan for a while, So that's an absurd comparison. But it is this idea that people who are outsiders or first time candidates are risk inherently risky because they haven't been tested, they've been vetted by the system.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what I mean. Nobody should take a broad lesson about outsiders from the Platiner.
Speaker 5: Yes, because here are two other people who have had huge sexual misconduct sexual assault problems who are the insider candidates of Eric Swallow Andrew Cuomo. Right right, there's nothing, there's nothing about being a creep that is exclusive to first time plandits. It's also true, I mean the other thing that you know, the other as you as we think about this and like what it all means, like one story that people can tell and it's not an incorrect story, is that a bunch of podcast bros and Democratic strategists and other dumb men online fell for the stick of this narcissist right, and that it was true that a lot of women and a lot of women in my life that I regret not listening to like you and Sarah Longwell and other people who have raised these flags, you know, and this was like dumb men and much more staightful women and they're in the How does voices I think criticizing Platiner, particularly nationally were women. But then you look in Maine and Platner beat Mills was beating Mills by like fifteen points among women. A majority of one hundred two thousand votes was women. And so I just you know, I just reading Rebecca Tracerous is very insightful piece and thoughtful piece about her supportive grand Platner.
Speaker 4: Well, Michelle Goldberg has one as well. Yeah, can I say something well to your point about the podcast bros and other guys. I think and I feel like I always sound like you know, Brown University professor when I say this. There's a real crisis right now in terms of how the left responds to Maga style masculinity and like what it means to be tough and a warrior but also progressive and a populace and like, what is that special alchemy and like we got the Left needs to build that person. They need someone who can who can be the antidote to all the just utterly toxic garbage male sort of the masculinity that is being showcased on the right, which is ultra retrograde, misogynist and bad for the country set sitting aside, bad for women. And like Platner was a unicorn in that way. He felt like, Okay, here's someone who's legitimately a progressive and he's a man's man and all this and that was I think intoxicating to a group of men in particular who are looking for that answer. And it may be a latent desire, it may be an explicit desire, but I do think as a dude in the world who's a progressive, it's a weird, complicated time, which doesn't mean we should overly focus on men. I get it, but it is a problem. I mean, I have two boys, Like there is a dearth of real kind of like there's no playbook for how to be a guy in this moment. And I think if you're in the world of politics and you're in media, you're kind of trying to you're bouncing between archetypes, and you're trying to figure out, like, Okay, what's the way to be what should we be supporting and championing? And Lattner was very attractive in that way, and I think that's part of the reason he took off, at least in the online media space in a way that I mean, Mills never was going to, but even other guys in American politics haven't. I mean, he was just incredibly compelling in that way.
Speaker 5: I mean he was He was an excellent communicator if you listen to like his interviews like we did the New York Times podcast, like the interview he did with our friend Ben Rhodes about post nine eleven wars, like he like, I mean, he was interesting and thoughtful and obviously like how he looked and how he sounded, you know, affected that, but it just was all bullshit? Is the problem?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know he's a pig, but that's and that's what's so devastating, is like, oh, what turns out actually like that that brand of machismo is totally corrupted, which.
Speaker 5: Or or this his particular his this particular vehicle, like there was something Patner was offering both in and nationally that was compelling to a lot of people. Yeah, the problem was that the person who was offering that was Graham Platner, right, and so like, how do you like It's like, we have to spend some time and we're not gonna do it here. We can't do it here over time, just figure out, like what was it? I don't want to overstay how important this was once against one hundred fifty thousand fucking people in Maine. This is not you know, he this is not right.
Speaker 4: But I mean, this was someone who's his advisor said that he could run for president in twenty twenty. This wasn't going to end in me.
Speaker 5: Yes, but every I've been around a lot of Senate candidates consulting sale its every faring person current. They all want them to because it's very much in every in every consultants interest, everyone wants to be David Axlria, James Carvell, you know, Carl Rove, and so they're looking for those people all the time. It doesn't mean they actually would, but he was a finational phenomenon. He broke out in a way that's like, I mean, this is a bad example but in a way that you know, Stacy, this is a good example Stacy Abrams did, even though she didn't win, a way that betto broke out and so it's like, yeah, they're like there was something there, and it's like, what was that? And how do you try to figure out what that is? That's separate from the very damage, very fucked up person the pig as you said, you do this is okay, enough of grand Platner. How much damage do you like? How fucked are we in Maine after all of this? Do we like? What kind of shot do you think we have against Susan Collins?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: I think, and I mean I think my advice would be say the word Susan Collins every time you want to say Graham Platner over and over and over again, because she is weak. But she is going to be a challenge. We don't need to go to the numbers. We've talked about them a lot. But she overperforms, or she has in most elections she's been in recently. This is the first one she's going to have to face voters since Roe fell. So and I think that that's legit in a state that's what sixty percent of the electorate is female. You know, hopefully people remember the fact that she built the Supreme Court that overturned Row. She was the critical vote in the Kavanaugh con animation and fancies herself a moderate, which is complete horseshit. I don't know, Dan, I mean, I think that the fact that I take it as a as a positive sign that in a way that main voters are so desperate or they're so fired up about getting Susan Collins out, that they were willing to overlook the initial phase of grand Platner's very serious transgressions. I mean, that's I guess, the silver lining, right. But you know, the party's got to manage this process in a way that doesn't further disillusioned Democratic voters. Grand platter needs to shut the fuck up, and the focus really needs to return like a laser to Susan Collins.
Speaker 5: I think if we can now this is me being less f fual. If we can pick the right person, and the right person might just be someone named generic Democrat with no tattoos and he doesn't know where how to get to Reddit, we are in a better place than we would have been with either grand Platiner pre even let's say that this accusation never happened, where a grand Platner would have been just if everything we knew up until two days ago that we have tentional for this new person to be stronger than that and stronger than Janet Mills would have been. Yeah, because even like in that New York Times SCANDU poll from two weeks ago, after all the sexting stuff and all this came out, Cramp Patner was still more popular than Janet Mills. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And so we have a chance here. Now, this is a state where using the same New York Times poll, Democrats lead the generic ballot by eleven points. They want the Senate to be a Democratic cans by eleven points, I believe eleven or twelve points. So there is like there was, and this is to say this more democratic than twenty twenty. A lot of a lot of people who profile as Democratic voters moved to May pticularly to the Portland area, starting around COVID, so it's been it's actually a state that has grown from in migration. So we should still be able to win the race. It's gonna be really fucking hard. Collins is gonna have so much money She's had to spend almost none of it. There's going to be a gazillion dollarest and and and pack money. But I do think there's a chance we can make this all like every This is what I was saying. This is my unsolicit advice to the Putnam people two weeks ago, which was like all this Epstein Island, you know, reordering politics, populism stuff, is like, all that matters is that Susan Collins. No matter what else you feel about her, A vote for her is a vote to let Donald Trump control the Senate and pick Supreme Court justices. That's it doesn't matter how you feel about her. It doesn't matter if you liked her personally, doesn't matter if she got money for the iron bathworks or whatever else she is. A vote for her is a vote to let Donald Trump pick two more Supreme Court justice full step, just like that's what That's what people care about. That's what it's about. Don't let me be anything else, don't overcome like the simple. So I think I do believe we can still win this.
Speaker 4: It'll be totally great. I had interviewed to Adam Jenlsen for Deputy Chief of Staff to Harry Reid and chief of staff to John Fetterman in the podcast, and he is aligned with you that this makes the Democrats' chances are better now than they were a week ago when Platinum was still in the race before the political reporting. So there's that.
Speaker 5: There's that.
Speaker 4: That was like a therapy session, Dan.
Speaker 5: I have had a lot to say for a few days, Sarah. So I'm glad.
Speaker 4: I feel very honored that you wanted to share those things with me.
Speaker 5: I'm actually if John was not on vacation, I would have suggested that we swap him out for you. I feel better doing this with you.
Speaker 4: Well. Thanks, I mean, we've been We've gone on a long road to get We've been on a long been along strange to Jeremy, Yeah, we have.
Speaker 3: Pod David America is brought to you by Built. We can all agree that housing is expensive. Rent, mortgage. It doesn't matter which one you're paying. It stings every month. But Bill can make it feel a little better. Let's explain. Bill started out rewarding members on their rent as a twenty twenty six Built members can also earn points on more motgage payments. To every housing payment earns you points, so you can use with top travel partners like United and Hyatt, or use your points toward lyft rides, Amazon purchases and so much more. You could take a fitness class. You can get a gift card at one hundred and twenty brands. But here's the most underrated part. Built members also get access to a neighborhood concierge. It can make restaurant reservations, book fitness classes, and find new local spots, all while being rewarded at more than forty five thousand merchant partners. It's like having a personal assistant baked into where you live. It's simple being a renter and now owning a home is better with Built. Join the membership for where you live at join built dot com, slash crooked. That's JOI n b I lt dot com slash crooked. Make sure to use our URL so they always sent you.
Speaker 1: Pazzi of America is brought to you by cook Unity.
Speaker 3: I love cook Unity.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you about a couple delicious looking cook Unit items. Yasa grilled chicken, yasify technically now with sweet plantains. It's like chickens and grains and plantains. And how about this one, sir, honey glazed salmon bites with a kale crunch salad.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's just a perfect meal.
Speaker 3: I had a gyro from Comunity before work today. That's what I had after the gym.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, what is cooke Unity. Cook Unity is the first chef led meals livery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens teeny tiny kitchens across the US, not in factory, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin starre chefs, James Beard, winners and Food Network stars. Go to Cookunity dot com slash crooked or use the code crooked before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. Every cook Unity meal is handcrafted by chefs and local micro kitchens, not mass produced, fresh, never frozen, and can be refrigerated for up to seven days. The food tastes like someone just made it for you, because someone just did in a small batch that morning. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh small batchace. What happens taste what happened? Small batch meals just for you. Go to cookunity dot com. Gosh crooked entered the code crooked for checkout to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using the code crooked or going to cookunity dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 5: All right, now, let's turn to a new story of interest to just slightly more people than the main Senate race or war with Iran, which seems to be close to restarting any minute now. Ships transitting the straightuprom moves started coming under fire again earlier this week. On Tuesday, the US military responded by hitting targets in Iran and reimposing sanctions on Irani and oil. Iran responds to that with shots at American installations in the least. We responded to that with more strikes, and so on and so on. It's all a giant mass and getting worse by the hour. The good news is that Donald Trump seems to have a very good handle on all of this. Here he is at this week's NATO summit in Turkey. Is the sea fire over?
Speaker 4: It is the seafire, John is the emou dead.
Speaker 2: It's a very interesting question to me. I think it's over. I don't want to deal with them in with this gum.
Speaker 4: We had one hundred and eleven missile shot by the Islamic Republic of Japan. The Islamic Republic of Japan as a headline story. I didn't even know.
Speaker 5: I mean, not only not only has Islamic come it become Islamic, they're also at war the United States right now.
Speaker 4: So much happened while I was.
Speaker 5: Me deep in main politics. We missed a lot of stuff around the world. So I'm sure Tommy and Ben covered this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, thank god, thank god we have them on on on Watch.
Speaker 5: Yes, things seemed to be going well in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: Huh, totally. The line out of the White House is according to Axios, I think today we're going to slap on around a bit so they understand we're not fucking around. That's that's the that's the strategy here. They are saying that this next stage of could be weeks, could be months. But the essence of this DAN is that Iran is not happy about the way things are going the Straight of Hormoz and they want to reclaim control of it, and that is an unresolved dispute that is going to continue to fuck the global economy and could make life incredibly painful for Republicans heading into the midterms. And so I mean the idea that anything was resolved by a page and a half DOCU sign however many weeks ago that was is a joke, as is this administration's foreign policy. I am not surprised that we are here. I also am unclear as to how any of this resolves itself, given the utterly we are at loggerheads with the Iranians over the Strait. They want ships to pass through on their side of the straight and register with the wait for it, horror mouz Transit Authority. Can someone get me an HTA hat? And instead the US is like, because that's how they're going to that's how they're going to tax people or toll people or companies as they go through the strait. And the US is like, you know, go the southern route, don't register with the HTA. Use the side of the strait where Oman rules the water, if you will. That's not going over well with the Iranians. And now we're back at war because the fundamental issue at the heart of this is nowhere close to being resolved.
Speaker 5: The The Wall Street showing how a story that said that this is all basically happening because section five of the of the cease fire agreement that I would say Trump signed it Versailles is poorly written and it has led to a lot of confusion about what Ariadney control of the Strait actually means, since.
Speaker 4: They never really worked it out, because it was a page and a half, because it's a joke, because there was no diplomatic process, and it's just that they wanted they wanted to get gas prices down, yea.
Speaker 5: They wanted to say the Strait was opened so that the market would improve and oral prices would start to go down, even if this rate was not actually open.
Speaker 4: It's insane. Now gas prices have ticked up a little bit, They're not where they used to be. But you know, when you are so ambiguous about how what the goal is, how this could possibly resolve itself, the diplomatic process seems I don't know. He says, they're cuckoo. I'm done dealing with them. They're sickos. Like I mean, maybe half of that is bluster, or three quarters of it is bluster, but I've never been that confident in Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff negotiating this process, though they are a crackerjack team of diplomats, And like, what confidence should we have that this doesn't stretch on off and on not being called a war forever. The only thing standing in Trump's way, I guess, is the appropriations process and the fact that he's asking Congress for another three hundred and fifty billion dollars in Republicans may not be super stoked on doing that four months before the midterms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this goes to the point I like to make about this swhich is anyone dumb enough to start this war is too dumbinicate out of it. Just sort of where we are totally. As you pointed out, oil prices and gas prices have gone up a little bit through this. The stock market's gone down. Ships are still passing through the Strait, although it's still well below pre war levels.
Speaker 4: One third one third of pre war levels.
Speaker 5: But the administration has finally taking at least one step to help with gas prices. Let's take a look.
Speaker 9: We're here at the first Freedom Fuel Network gas station right here in Philadelphia, leading the charge to lower gas prices three dollars and then forty seven cents. That's for our forty seventh President, Resident Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump, the first and I saw it. I thought it was a fake lose, But glad it's true. Thanks a lot cheap.
Speaker 5: Let's keep going with you doing.
Speaker 2: Got a good job.
Speaker 4: Thank you, President Trump, Thank you for helping our country.
Speaker 9: It's President Donald J. Trump leading the charge the lower gas prices right here at Freedom Fuel Network gas stations.
Speaker 5: You heard that right. The administration's big move is a network of so called Freedom Fuel stations that are mostly in the larger Filldal area, and they are selling gas at three forty seven a gallon forty seven cents. Get it, Alex, I believe you have some thoughts on this initiative, and I'm gonna clear out and let you have them.
Speaker 4: Okay, First of all, nobody knows who's behind these gas stations. They've just like popped up around the Philly area. They used to be like Sonoco stations or Texico stations. There's just like giant stickers on them, and nobody knows how they're pricing gas at three forty seven because news flash, the reason gas prices are high is not because gas owners are stubborn and just need to be convinced get on the bandwagon of cheap gas. It's because they have to be because the market is at where it's at now. There's some discretion they have in terms of cents and like you know, on the margins. But when gas is over four dollars a gallon, it's not because they've gotten greedy. It's because that's where the market is, that's where the price of crude. So this is all smoke and mirrors. This is like a gas station Potempkin village, like it's and like I sort of delight in it because it is further proof that Donald Trump is a socialist. Like these gas stations or gas station owners are clearly getting some kind of government subsidy to lower gas to three forty seven. It is meaningfully lower than other area gas stations, and it fits in the suite of decisions Donald Trump has made to have the heavy hand of government get involved in private enterprise, whether that's you know, extorting in Nvidia and Intel for stock that the government controls in order to get licenses, or in order to establish trading overseas, whether that's the tariffs, whether that's the heavy hand of the Trump administration involved in the media and censorship. I mean, this is all the behavior of I don't know, like someone like Maduro or Putin or take your pick. This is not what free market capitalism is supposed to look like it is. It is socialism sometimes communism, maybe outright fascism and authoritary under the guy. As you know, when it is politically convenient, what a joke.
Speaker 5: It's also stupid, like what, well, what possible world is this going to make a difference by having like a handful of gas stations in the Philadelphia area sell gas for a short period of time for slightly cheaper than other parts of the like it is they are spitting in the ocean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there arely tens of thousands of gas stations across the country.
Speaker 5: Like there is like there is a saying when you work in the White House, it's like you want to get caught trying, Like there are problems you can't solve, they're too big, Congress won't work, but you won't people to see your trying. No one, this isn't qualify as trying. They sent this video out saying they're doing this, and then in ninety nine percent of the rest of the country. People who see the video are then going to drive to the gas station and gas is going to be the same high price it was before. So you've just angered them because somehow then where you are not valuable enough to get one of these freedom fuel stations, you still have to pay the normal price. It's just so stupid. It's all dumb.
Speaker 4: I think it's honestly for Trump, do you know what I mean. I think it's just a video that they can play for him when the baby gets angry. It's like one of those soothing like it's one of those you know, there are these little gummy toys you can give babies they can chew on when they're teething and they get angry. This is the sort of video version of this.
Speaker 5: You know, this is this is coco melon for fascist idiots.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right. One more consequence of the Rand situation we wanted to mention. Trump flew his new Katari gifts at Air Force one to Turkey, but when it was time to leave, he announced that he was sending the jet onto an airbase in England to give American station there a chance to tour the aircraft, and that quote, for old time's sake, he'd be following in the old plane. He was, of course lying. The New York Times reported that the Secret Service urged him to take the old plane because it was more secure and the new version doesn't have the same defensive capabilities. Alex, I thought the new air Force one which we paid hundreds of millions of dollars, we the taxpayers, paid hundreds of million of dollars to rush into service, was totally safe and perfect. Are you shocked by this?
Speaker 4: Shocked? Dan? I did not realize that when Trump. First of all, he has two jets in rotation, and I believe they're two more under construction right now. So it's not like the entrance of this free cuttery jet did anything to help the American taxpayer or saved us any money. I direct you to John Lovet and Tommy Vtor's excellent YouTube conversation on this very topic, which I found quite enlightening that clearly the jet is not up to snuff. Maybe they spent all the money on warm nuts that are served right before right after takeoff, or live flat seats, or you know, really fancy inflight amenities. Like face missed. I don't know, but it wasn't on securing the jet the way it needs to be because clearly they believe that there was some kind of national security threat flying out of Turkey. They asked people on Air Force One to lower their blinds, which I guess, according to Tommy, is what you do in a war zone, and that the cuttery jet did not have significant missile defense systems on it to keep everybody safe, so they had to fly the old baby blue Air Force One out of the threat zone. That's a problem. You don't want to have to have two jets in rotation because one isn't actually up to't isn't secure enough. Generally speaking, you want the president to be on the safe jet all the time.
Speaker 5: Because like there's another version of this, right, which is the re Air Force won't exists the way it does. It's built the way it's built because in the event, because this idea came during the Cold War, which is there is a nuclear war or some other war and the president has to stay in the air for hours and hours. In hours, you able to fly anywhere in the world to get to safety and be able to command the US military forces from there, and so you can't like, at any point he could be on the new jet and theoretically something can happen in the world that could put him at risk. But you're on the new jet. This is not just like it's not a commuter shuttle. No, it's just it's like once again, and this whole thing is so dumb because the jet. He doesn't care about that, because the it's it's not that often that the president is actually targeted like this obviously, or that he is in within ballistic missile range of Iran. But because he takes the jet with him when he leaves, that's the thing it does. This jet does not go to President Josh Shapiro, AOC Kamala Harris, whoever else comes next. It goes to Donald Trump to fly around on as he visits golf clubs around the world.
Speaker 4: Fantastic Trump forced.
Speaker 5: One, Trump Force one.
Speaker 4: What a disaster. But what else? I mean, everything Trump touches turns to shit. So he's right.
Speaker 5: When we come back North Carolina Senate candidate former Governor Roy Cooper.
Speaker 3: Pod Taive America is brought to you by article Article makes it effortss to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century, coastal and scandy furniture. Are design to mix it match perfectly, so you can create a cohesive designer book that will stand the test of time. Article stuff it looks great. It's simple and modern, so it'll fit with a lot of different design styles, but just looks really good. Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US and Canada, with options for professional assembly. If you prefer a hands off experience, have a question, or need help with your design choices. Article's customer care team is available seven days a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free interior design services to help you get your home just right. With articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence knowing that if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily return it. This peace of mind ensures you can invest in your home without hesitation. Article is offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars and more. To claim, visit article dot com, slash crookeet and the discount will automatically be applied at checkout. That's article dot com slash crookeet for fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 5: Join me now. Is the Democratic nominee for one of the most important Senate races this cycle. Former North care and a Governor Recooper. Governor Cooper, welcome back to putsav America.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be with you, Dan, Thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: It's been a while, so it's great to have you on here. North Carolina, a state near and dear to my heart, has been breaking democratic arts for a long time. It's been since two thousand and eight since a Democrat won a Senate seat there. Talk to me about why you believe twenty twenty six is going to be different than all the other cycles that have emotionally traumatized so many Democrats around the country at a North Carolina I assume, well.
Speaker 2: Dan, I've been having to convince people that we are having a tough race because people ask me what my biggest fear is and that a lot of people have put this race in the check mark win column. And you and I know the history of North Carolina. Just because I have a lead in the polls doesn't mean This race isn't going to be very close. We've seen so many Democratic candidates have a lead, have a lead, have a lead until they don't, and we see Republican moneying into this state at the end, and we see great Democratic candidates lose by a couple of points. And as you know, it's been two thousand and eight since we want to see almost forty years, we've only had two Democrats and both of them served one term. So this is going to be a close race. I think this is different because people are hurting now. I don't think I've seen it like this because I've been out on my Mixedtuff Costs Less tour. People are telling me that there's just too much month at the end of the money for them. Their paychecks just are not keeping up with the cost of living, and they are frustrated and they recognize that Washington, DC is in chaos. That this president and administration promised them that day one, the cost of living would be on top of the list, and not only has it not been, they've actively hurt people's chances in that we've seen these chaotic terrifs at cost to everything. We've seen this war in Iran increase costs. We've seen this one big, beautiful bill that ripped healthcare away from people and given the tax breaks to the billionaires. People are frustrated, and at the end of the day, I think they know that I will be a Senator who will put the people first, not the billionaires. And we know that my opponent, Michael Whitley, will do and say whatever this President tells him to do and say. And we know at the end of the day that a lot of money's going to come into North Carolina. But we're going to win this race because we have to. I told my children the other day that my parents left me a better country, but that we had work to do to leave them a better country. And I think all of us need to look within us and say, hey, what can I do to make sure that this country is the kind of country we want to leave to our kids grandkids. And that's why I'm running for the Senate.
Speaker 5: You point out affordability is the number one issue in North Carolina. It's a number one issue all around the country. It's frankly the number one issue in our politics for basically since covid as inflation went up. As you mentioned, you were on this tour of North Carolina. Tell me little about the tour and can you give me a handful of specific ideas that you would do to help lower people's prices if elected.
Speaker 2: Well, the tour, I've been meeting people across North Carolina. We call it the make Stuff Costs Less Tour, very very clear. Yes, yeah, yeah, I mean. We hear from Kuwana, who's struggling to pay for groceries. She's a teacher. We hear from Meredith, whose kid, Vivi's on Medicaid and Mayor's scared death that Washington is going to attack and take away Vivi's healthcare. Pender's a farmer in rural North Carolina. The tariffs are killing him. So in my policy proposals, you can go to Roy Cooper dot com and read our proposals on what we're proposing to do to make stuff costs less. You can also help us out. You can also volunteer. We need people to help us in this campaign. But first, you know, we've got to work with Republicans, and I believe there will be some who will be ready to work with us on taking back the legislative branches constitutional authority. Here at checks and balances are critical, so taking them back on trade and tariffs. We got to roll back these chaotic tariffs, and I think immediately that helps to reduce the cost of living. We've got to restore the health care cuts that have really read havoc on people's pocketbooks and people's lives, their health. We've got to make sure that we are investing in education across the board. I believe that when you look at all of the proposals that we have made, like a childcare tax credit, because I'm hearing from people about childcare going through the roof and they're having to make hard decisions about whether one parent's going to work. We just need a Washington focused on people and not tax breaks for the corporations. And I think that we can make a difference. A government that works can make a difference for people and help them have a paycheck that keeps up with the cost of living.
Speaker 5: There's been a lot of talk about groceries and gas, of course in gas because of the Iron War, but is utility prices And one of the things driving up utility prices is data centers. What would you do with data centers to either help lower the cost of electricity slow the builds the build out of these, Like, how are you thinking about this sort of mad rush to build as many data centers as possible.
Speaker 2: It's part of my policy proposals is that they must pay for their own energy. Other consumers should not have to bear any cost from data centers, and we should encourage them to create their own energy sources and connect them to the grid. And I think many of them are ready to step up and do that. Of course, communities have to have input as to whether these are built there or not. But I think that is critical because we now have a demand for power unlike anything we've ever seen, and we have a Congress and a president in Washington that has wiped away the games that we made in clean energy that would have helped add energy to the grid. That's all been wiped away during the last couple of years. So we have a real challenge on our head. So I think they have to make sure that they pay for their own.
Speaker 5: Your opponent, Michael Wattley, is not particularly well known to a lot of people around the country. He's not sort of one of these you know, maga bad guys like a Ken Paxton or Herschel Walker, or doctor Oz in previous selections. I understand there's some debate about his North Carolina roots and that he failed to be able to name any members of your NHL Stanley Cup Championship.
Speaker 2: Team down there.
Speaker 5: But what should voters either in North Carolina around the country want to help your campaign know about Michael Wattley and who he is and what he would do well.
Speaker 2: First, he's been a Washington DC insider for years. He was a big oil and utility company lobbyist. He worked to be able to raise prices for oil companies and raise utility rates for utility companies. He still owns stock in those and he served as chair of the Republican National Committee as co chair, pushed there by President Trump, and we're seeing that he's able to line his own pockets by advocating and encouraging the Iran war, pushing this one big Beautiful bill. He owns pharma company stocks, and we know that those have gone up because of this one big beautiful bill. He was also chair of the North Carolina Republican Party, recruited right wing candidates like Mark Robinson, who's the self described black Nazi in North Carolina, and stood beside and behind Mark Robinson. He has lied about my record. You mentioned that he's been telling people that he grew up in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. In actuality, he moved to Blowing Rock from Michigan when he was fifteen years old. That I don't mind people coming into North Carolina. You don't have to have grown up North Carolina. People are full North Carolinians when they move here, but just don't lie about it. But he's lied about my record, and particularly on crime. But then you look at his record on crime. He appointed a convicted child sex predator who served time in prison to a prominent position in the North Carolina Republican Party and stood by him and reappointed him, even though the party debated this and re simply the party has come in and passed a resolution saying we aren't going to have sex predators appointed to positions of prominence anymore. He's also very recently stood by Trump's pardon of all of these J six insurrectionists, including those who assaulted the police officers, and including those he went on to commit other crimes, some against children, for child six crimes. That's the kind of record that Michael Whiteley has, and as I say, he will do and say whatever this president tells him to do and say. On the other hand, I will be a strong independent senator for North Carolina. I will put the people first. I will try to work with this president when I can. I did my first four years as governor. He was president at the same time. I tried to work with him. We had to go through COVID and other things. But I will stand up to him when I need to, and there needs to be a lot of standing up to him right now in Washington. I think the people in North Carolina are going to want that.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, you mentioned the attacks on your record on crime. This is in a bunch of their ads. This seems to be their main strategy trying to feat you is that Pinhu was week on crime, week on immigration. They are specifically focusing on some early releases that you granted in your time as governor. What is your response to those attacks? What's the true story here?
Speaker 2: Well, first, those stories are there many lies being told in what they've done, and they've had fact checks that have shown that they just simply are not telling the truth. I'm the only person in this race who's actually prosecuted violent criminals and work to keep them behind bars, while Michael Wattley has appointed a child sex predator to a prominent position in the North Carolina Republican Party. That's the difference between us on crime. People know my record as Attorney General. They know that as governor I signed tougher bail laws. They know too that I believe in working to prevent crime by investing in early childhood education and in our public schools, in healthcare, and in our communities. I think that's critical. But they believe this is a soft bot. It is not, and I think the people of North Carolina will hear that at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: You know, immigration is in crime are sort of tied together in Republican rhetoric these days. One of the tasks for a Democratic Senate will be or just new Democratic centtors is going to be trying to find ways to rain in what is happening with ice and what trump metrations are with ice. We just had another person killed by ice recently. How are you thinking about what you if you were elected Senate, what you would do with ice, Like, how would you reform it, restrain it? What are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Well, first, we need secure borders in this country, and we should deport violent criminals, and this organization should be working to try and do that. But we also don't need what is happening now with people being picked up just because of what they look like, often American citizens being put in danger, shot on the street. It seems to me reasonable that officers who work with ICE should have the same requirements that state, local, and federal law enforcement officers should have, and I think that that is something that we need to do make sure that they have those same requirements.
Speaker 5: As we mentioned, your opponent's the former chair of the RNC. A couple of weeks ago, the Supreme Court had a ruling which now will allow the art party committees like the RNC and the DNC to spend unlimited funds on behalf on races like yours. How does that ruling affect your race? With your opponent being the former chair of the organization that can now spend unlimited money.
Speaker 2: This is the worst campaign finance Supreme Court decision since Citizens United. It allows virtually unlimited spending from these joint committees. When a candidate and a political party or like the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee, come together, they don't have any limits as they used to have. This puts more power in the hands of the very wealthy, of the billionaires, of the corporations, and I think you're going to see a significant amount of money flowing into races all across the country using this new device. It may affect our race even more than others. Being that has been recently the chair of the Republican National Committee, he knows all the people there. He certainly has been talking about the fact that they're going to use this new tool. We all need to come together and get a grip on campaign finance in this country. We have to find a way to stop this madness. It's too much money in politics. I'll be first in line to find a way to overturn Citizens United, but until then, we cannot unilaterally disarm. This takes power away from small donors, and I hope small donors will stand up and say we're not going to let this happen. We're going to give these candidates even more roycoop dot com is a great place to go and to do that because we need to have a strong voice for everyday people, and this new decision just allows more money into the system. It leads to more corruption. We see open corruption in Washington right now. In fact, my opponent, as I mentioned, owns individual stock. I've when I ran for governor, I sold all of my individual stock. I have widely held mutual funds. I'm doing that during the campaign. I will do that as a United States Senator, regardless of what the law is. But I will work to pass a law that prohibits members of Congress and executive high executive officials from trading individual stocks. I'll support a law that stops allowing people to be lobbyists after they serve in Congress. We need to get people to trust the federal government again, and right now people just don't. So we have to elect people not only who will fight to change the laws. We're seeing that. We have a lot of people who want to change the laws, but nothing ever happens in Washington on this, but who will set examples. And that's what I want to do when I get there. And the way this money is going to come in, I hope it won't affect these elections because I hope that people will step up and help these candidates. We've got to take back the House. We've got to take back the Senate. We've got to make sure that we come back to the constitution that the Framers intended, where we have true checks and balances, because right now we have leaders in Congress who simply will not stand up to the president. And you need to do that. Regardless of party. You need to do that, and the branches need to push against each other in order to make this great republic work.
Speaker 5: I'll say this for you to make it easier. But the ruling means that the the RNC has a lot more money in the d NC, UH, the nteresty is more running the DSCC. They're probably more money than the Democrats. If we are going to the only way we're going to stay competitive these races for people to go to websites like Roy Cooper dot com UH and push back because it's not where we are we can win with grass roost nations. We are not going to match them billionaire for billionaire in this race. So I just wanted to make lay that out there. I would I would do that for you, make that pitch easier for you.
Speaker 2: You said it better than I and I think I think you're right about that. Because they are we can't catch out the DNC just simply can't catch out before November. So we're going to have to have help from everyday people out there.
Speaker 5: The Democratic Party is in a bit of transition these days, and we have Democratic Socialists winning in New York City and Colorado. We have progressive anti establishment Canis winning here and there. We also have Roy Cooper's running in North Carolina and Shared Brown's running in Ohio. Is there a big a tent big enough for the party of these days? Like, how are you thinking about what's going on in the party? You know, you're a two term governor establishment figure, there's this anti establishment sort of further going on, Like how are you navigating office?
Speaker 2: Well, I understand why people are frustrated because government often hasn't worked at the federal level, and people are mad, and so I get it. People are paying too much. Things are costing too much out there, and they're frustrated. They don't have health cares, they can't afford a place to live. My goodness, they had one bipartisan thing that they did, the housing build that just got flipped on his head. That's just so frustrating. But look, I can just tell you what we've done here. I was a Democratic governor for eight years. I had a Republican legislature for eight years, and yes, I vetoed a lot of bad legislation, and we fought over a lot of things, but I found ways to work with them on recruiting good paying jobs on to our state, to getting paid p leave, to passing a law to get our power sector to carbon zero by twenty fifty, and finally got a Republican legislature in a southern state to expand Medicaid, which has made a real difference. And we did that by getting their constituents in these red rural counties to lobby them for it. Because when I would use my contacts with sheriffs in some of these counties when I served as Attorney General, and many of them would complain to me that essentially that a lot of people in their jail were struggling and needed health care. And so they understood that Medicaid expansion would bring more help to their county with medical services and would help keep their rural hospital open. And when you have a tough on crime Republican sheriff walking the halls lobbying from Medicaid expansion, it's very effective. And so we were able to work together on a common goal to get health care, and these red rural counties have benefited really more than anybody else here. Seven hundred and thirty thousand people in counting now have health care in North Carolina. And there are ways to work together. We saw it on the housing bill in Washington. We've got to have more people who are willing to sit down at the table, even if they have disparate opinions. When you look at goals, often our goals are shared, even if we are on opposite ends politically. We want a good education for our kids, we want a good paying job, we want clean air and water, we want quality healthcare. We all want the same things, and we have to be willing to sit down at the table and find ways forwards, find a way to achieve consensus. I did that as governor time and time again. I want to do that Washington, and I believe that Washington could use a dose of North Carolina common sense. I'm ready to come and try and provide that, not only from a governor attorney general perspective, a state legislator perspective, but I practiced law for eighteen years and was a managing partner of my small firm for a while, I had to make a payroll, so I have a lot of background that I think I can use in helping to shape legislation. Walking across the aisle, trying to find a way forward because people just want government to work, and right now it's not.
Speaker 5: I think, Governor, I think it's a great place to end it. Governor Cooper, thank you so much for joining us, and we'll talk to you against sin.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Dan, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: All right, that's our show for today.
Speaker 4: Thanks for work so fast. It was so fast. Sorry to cut you off.
Speaker 5: It's just been an hour. We've been doing this for an hour.
Speaker 4: No, I mean it just I just meant like it, like it having much fun, emotional ties and lows.
Speaker 5: It was sessional because it was our our last Grand Platinir conversation ever.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, mark that on your calendars.
Speaker 5: Seriously. Okay, that's our show for today. Thanks to Roy Cooper for coming on. Tommy will be back in the feed on Sunday with a conversation with Gary Lineker, host of The Rest is Football and legendary England striker, to talk about the World Cup in the politics of soccer, talks to everyone soon Bye everyone.
Speaker 1: Pods in America is a cricket media production.
Speaker 3: Our show was produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts and Ferris Safari, with Reed Jerland, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill.
Speaker 1: Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcotch, Charlotte Landis, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Sengel. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East