Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: The Cole Davis you are the best. What a perfect segue and perfectly timed to boot. That is a professional broadcaster, Ladies and gentlemen, Nicole Davis. That was that was perfect. We have a round of applause here, robbed for Nicole place. I would really appreciate get audience trumping. That was amazing. It's amazing. I mean that halftime, perfect segue, perfect the Celtics. I just work here. No, you timed it, no, no, no no, I'm not gonna give any credit to it. You timing perfectly thanks to goal. No problem. Uh. She's a great broadcast partner, that is for sure. So enjoy listening to her newscasts, even sometimes when that's bad news. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside. Before we begin tonight, I just want to make an announcement. We will be doing our Nightside charity combine again this year. I believe it's our twelfth annual. I'll check on that for you. However, if you want to be included and be interviewed, we do this all remotely. On the night of December twentieth, it's a Friday night, last two hours of my broadcast year. You need to, at some point in the next couple of days write this number down. I'm going to ask you to call our producer. Maybe you can call her even over the weekend. She has a phone that works. Just leave a voicemail. You got to be a five oh one, C three or equivalent charity. You can't be Uncle Harvey's beer fund. Okay, you can't do that. Legitimate charities. We've done it for twelve years. Most of you know about it. If if you're involved in a charity, find out whoever's running the charity and have them call. Don't call and tell us to call some other charity. We ignore those calls. We want representatives of charities to give us their name and we'll get in contact with them and we'll set them up. We'll give them a time when they will be interviewed. On the night of December twentieth. Marita aka Lady Lightning Marita is our broadcaster. I'm gonna give her phone number twice. I may give it later in the night, but I'm gonna give it twice right now. Seven eight one three five zero. That's seven eight one three five zero seventeen twenty six. I'll give it one more time seven eight one three five zero one seven two six. I'll give it later on tonight as well. Again, if you're involved, active and in charity, I could care whatever the cause is, as long as it's a five oh one C three type cause. We'd love to accommodate you. First come, first serve. Remember that, So get get the calls going over the weekend. We'll make a list and we'll get back to you. We'll tell you exactly what time I'm going to call you now before we get to our guests, we're gonna just very quickly. I'm Dan Ray, the host of the show Rob Brooks. It's behind the glass back in the actual student I broadcast remotely. I am delighted to welcome professor of evolutionary Anthropology and Psychology and Neuroscience at Duke University, founder also of the Duke can Canine Cognition Center, Professor Brian Hare. Professor here. Welcome, warm, Welcome to night SAT. How are you this evening.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all so much, thank you, I'm wonderful. It's great to be with you, great to be speaking at you in Beantown.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you we don't call it Beantown, but that's okay. However, you have a great school down there, Duke University. Have you taught there for some time?
Speaker 3: I have. I've been a part of Duke for seventeen years.
Speaker 2: Good for you. Well if you have a run in on campus to a dear friend of mine, a great basketball player for Duke in the nineteen sixties, we're on with a stellar career in the NBA. Jack Marin, he's a lawyer down in North Carolina, and you tell him you're on Nightside with Dan Ray. Jack has been on this show actually as well. A great I mean, went not only to Duke undergraduate but afags NBA career, went and got his law degree at Duke Law School, which is a fabulous law school. Uh. He's he is blue devil through and through and a great guy. Jack Marin, class of nineteen sixty six sent me a note the other day and told me what age he just hit. Someone could do the math, but I'm not going to say it on the air anyway. You are a dog scientist, and we are dog people on this program. I end every program at eleven fifty eight every weeknight with this phrase, all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I want to explain a little bit, but I do believe that. I do believe that. And tell us what you do at the Duke Canine Cognition Center. There's a lot to this. I need to be quiet and I need to listen, and my audience is I'm going to listen as well. So tell us about the Cognition Center.
Speaker 3: Well, we are dedicated to understand standing the behavior and psychology of dogs, and we want to understand how we can better best friends and use what we learned so that we can enrich their lives and sometimes even have better luck training them to do all the amazing jobs they can do. So one of our big discoveries was to find that dogs have a genius to communicate with us that wolves and other primates don't have. That's really quite special. And we also discovered that we can use anybody who's ever had two dogs, you know, they can be really different from each other. And we discovered a way to measure that and to use it to sort of inform and predict which dogs might be best at doing all sorts of amazing jobs like helping people with disabilities as a service dog, or in detection work trying to find bombs and other things like that.
Speaker 2: There's a great piece in the Washington Post which I looked at, entitled science seeks better predictors of what makes a good service dog. Dogs are amazing animals. I mean the fact that the word dog spelled backwards is g O D god.
Speaker 3: That is all the name.
Speaker 5: It's all there, It is all there, and anyone who's had dogs, my family, we had a beautiful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Charlie who we loved for ten years.
Speaker 2: My daughter has a dog which is from shelter dog, but an amazing Corgie named Mustard. And my son has a little dog, which is really So we're dog people, and I know that there are cat people and dog people. I've got to assume you're a dog person.
Speaker 3: I am a big time dog person, and I was my best friend growing up was a Labrador Retriever, So you know, I guess I was hooked from early.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They seem to be so smart and they seem to understand. Have you done stuff with brain waves? I'm just curious what sort of work you've done with them, because it would seem to me that sometimes, you know, one of the dogs that we have, you know, in our family, I'll look at him and I'm telling you, they're reading my mind. And I didn't know. People said I'm crazy when I tell you that. But but have they done any stuff with human brain waves dog brain waves? I'm just curious. You're a science guy, you probably are way beyond anything that I could even imagine. But has there been anything done in that area.
Speaker 3: Well, there's been a lot of fun discoveries that speak to your question, are they reading your mind? And it feels like they are connecting and loving you in particular. So our original discovery asking the question why are dogs so successful? There's millions of dogs everywhere you find humans, and on all continents they're flourishing. And of course they evolve from wolves, and sadly there are very few wolves left genetically, they're very closely really, so what are the little differences that made the big difference that make dogs so successful? So the genius one of the genius things that allows dogs to be so successful is they're very good at reading our minds in the sense they can use our gestures when we communicate them through gestures, they can determine and figure out what it is we want and what we don't want, and they do it at the level of an eighteen month old child, which is very unusual for animals. Most animals don't really understand human gestures the way that dogs do. So that's number one is they really do understand us in a way that most other animals cannot. The second thing is it's not specific to brain waves, but it's relative to brain chemistry. So one of the hormones that allows a parent to bond with their offspring is called oxytocin. When a baby's born, you know, you can't sleep because they don't do much, and it's very hard to take care of them, and yet you still love them. And one of the reasons is there's this hormone that floods parents and it's called oxytocin, and when your baby make eye contact, et cetera, it makes you feel a lot of love for them and you bond with them even though you're suffering in their early life taking care of them. And it ends up that dogs have figured out a way to hijack that bonding pathway. That hormone oxytocin by making eye contact with us, when we pet them, when we touch them, it actually releases that same hormone in us and in the dogs, so that we're bonding with our dogs using the same mechanism that we bond with our kids. So it really is that there's chemistry behind the bond and the love.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. How long have you studied dogs? Has this been a career within your within your discipline.
Speaker 3: Yes, I started when I was in college. It was a big surprise that dogs had this genius to understand communication. Every dog lover knows that dogs are good at understanding us in different ways, but surprise was that other animals were not good at this, and that dogs were really special. The thing that we just took for granted, it ends up it was a big deal and it made it makes dogs very special.
Speaker 2: You know something. We do four interviews in this hour, so our time is relatively short here. But some night I had left to have you back and take phone calls from some of my listeners and let them talk about.
Speaker 3: It'd be super fun.
Speaker 4: I'd love to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will make that happen. I'll have my producer get in touch with you folks and take some phone calls. This radio station is short all over the country. It's a fifty thousand watt you know, power of power, as they say. So I have a lot of listeners in North Carolina and South Carolina, Florida and beyond, and I just think this is a universal theme that that is very important in our program, to be honest with you, And when I saw that you were going to be a guest tonight, I was really excited about it, particularly the fact that you're at Duke University as well. So again, thank you, thank you so much for your time tonight, and our our producer will get back to you and we'll do something which will incorporate some of my listens.
Speaker 3: That would be super that would be super fun. And in the meantime, in the meantime, I was just gonna say, we have a if it's okay, we have a book called Puppy Kindergarten, all about how to raise a great dog. If people are interested in hearing some of the latest discoveries.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy that's not in my notes here. And I got to tell my producer that that should have been in my notes. Puppy Kindergarten. I assume that's available Amazon and all the regular places.
Speaker 3: Anywhere books can be purchased.
Speaker 2: Yes, sounds great. Professor here Duke University, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. When we get back on to talk about a we're going to rock cancer, a rocky night to benefit Dana Farber Cancer's Institute, a cancer care equity program, We're going to be talking with doctor Christopher Lathan. Uh and sounds like great events coming up. Maybe you'd like to spend some time and go out and listen to some music and h and rock cancer back on nightside right after a couple of messages. Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nights Night Studios on w b Z the news radio. Roy happen To introduced doctor Christian Christopher. Excuse me, Christopher Lathan specializes in lung cancer treatment and God bless you for doing that, Doctor Lathan. How are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm really well, Dan. I appreciate you having me on my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Look, what doctors like you and others do is just extraordinary. You not only uh specialize in the treatment, but you I guess I've organized an event called Let's Rock Cancer, a rock and Knight to benefit DA Dana Farber Carver Institute's Center Care Equity Program. Tell us about the program, and tell us about the event, and let's say if we can get you some people walking in the door that night.
Speaker 4: Sure, I just want to say so I didn't organize it. Actually, it's really a survivor himself, Stephen Moore. He last year he went through his own experience and he decided that he wanted to do something to give back, and then he discovered our program, our Cancer Care Equity Program, which really you know, the job of that program is to try to connect people to diagnostic services and communities that don't always have access. And really through his own experience, and he decided that he wanted to do this fundraiser last year. So it's really been Stephen Moore, who's a really fantastic person in Chris Antonoitch and I'm we were just a beneficiary of their experiences and their you know, their their love of rock music, but also wanting to give back to the community.
Speaker 2: Well, that's so, so you're involved in obviously at the Danta for Robert Cancer Institute's Cancer Care Equity Program. Tell us about that. Then then let's we'll plug the culture.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, yeah, so we you know, I have actually just a you know a little background. I grew up in Springfield, mass And my dad drove a fork truck for a living, right, so he's a working guy. And I think when I, uh went into medicine, I thought about what that was like and the factory guys that he worked with and you know, what their experience of medicine was. And what we found out is, you know, cancer doesn't care you know where you come from, and impacts all ages, races everyone, and you know, the folks that have the least amounts sometimes those are the folks with the highest burden. And so I really wanted to dedicate my career to figuring out how we can bring folks, you know, closer to their cancer care. And that's really what the Cancer Care Equity Program is all about. We go into communities and we try to figure out what the community needs and try to bring them to the Dana Farber if need be. But you know, if the patients don't want to come to the Dana Farber, we still want to help them with their diagnosis. And so we've done been in communities Roxbury, Dorchester, but also you know, Charlestown and up in the Merrimack Valley, and you know, the goal really is to connect to diagnosis if needed, and try to get folks into that incredible cancer care that I've had the benefit of being a part of, you know, for my professional career, and bringing that to you know, regular folks. So that's that's really the goal. We have navigation programs, we set up all kinds of clinical trial program access programs as well, but it's really just trying to figure out what the community needs, what the area needs, and bringing those folks who sometimes don't have the same you know, opportunities into diagnosis as other folks. So that's really what the goal of what we do.
Speaker 2: Well. I was talking to a friend of mine today who's a former long haul truck driver out of South Dakota. Known him for many many years, and the last year he went through cancer treatment out in South Dakota, which is not known as you know as Boston or the Mass General or the Dana Farbud Cancer Institute. But he called me today to tell me that not only was he told that he was cancer free, but because of the care that he received, they said to him, you might get a different cancer, but we have knocked this cancer out and you will never get this type of cancer again. And I said to my said, strowing, how can they guarantee you that? He says, I don't know, but that's what they told me. So, you know, all of your doctors do this incredible, you know, fabulous work. And there's no family in America that hasn't been touched and some touched more than than you know, than once by this horrible, horrible disease. So let's let's talk about the event. Sounds like a lot of fun, The Let's Rock Cancer Concert. It's going to it's coming up, if I'm not mistaken in a couple of weeks, December twelfth. Where's it going to be? Can tell us about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's going to be at the Crystal Ballroom in Summerville on Thursday, December twelfth, six to ten pm. And it's all local live music. So this is one of the things that Steve Ann and Chris so that you know, they're really interested in not just making sure that they raise money, but also they really like, you know, the power of music, and so they wanted to make sure local bands were there and some of the bands that came to the event last year, many of those bands are coming back joining their time and effort for this, so it was it was a lot of fun, you know. I think for me, I grew up listening to music, all kinds of music, and rock music in particular, so it was a it was a it was a double pleasure for me to be there where people who are like minded wanted to raise money for a good cause, but also hearing some great music. So it's it's really fantastic. The events open to all ages. You know, tickets start at twenty five dollars I think, and also you know, tickets are available online, so I think it's www. Crystal Ballroom, Boston Events Less Rock Cancer, and you know, anybody's welcome it. It was really a good time last last year, and I'm looking forward.
Speaker 2: To it again. And all of this is to benefit the Dan of Harbor Cancer Institute's Cancer Care Equity Program. How long has the Cancer Care Equity Program been operational?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we it's you know, officially, we started it in twenty ten. We had our first outreach clinic in twenty twelve, and it really started from filanthropic gifts, you know, It was an idea, some ideas. Someone had asked. They said, hey, you know, doctor Lathan, if you were going to be able to do one intervention, what would you want to do? And we thought about it. We called a lot of different cancer centers and we found the one thing that everybody was doing great research, everybody was doing great things, but nobody was really thinking, well, how do we get folks into the cancer center. I know it sounds strange, but a lot of times, you know, people just go because they hear, oh, it's the Nation General, it's a Dana Farber. But you know, you kind of work, and folks are busy working, and they sometimes put these things off. So I said, I wanted to how do we do that? And so we said, we got to go into the communities. We got to get in there, we got to talk to folks, we got to be present. And that's really what we put together. And then we were you know, folks funded the program as a pilot and we've just been there ever since, and really it's been fantastic. We've got we started out with three people and we've got about twenty different people, navigators, nurses and just folks who are really just dedicated to taking care of communities. So it's been it's really been the best. It's the work of my life, is what I would say. It's the most important thing that I've been involved in.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds and it sounds like that you are doing it as a as a tribute to your dad. I think you told. I think you said. He was a forklift operator, so working inside and God knows what fumes he was dealing with and his colleagues were dealing with. So this is a way to fight back in cancer. And it will be a this it will be a rock and good night, that's for sure. Let's rock cancer. I want to give that I get to do. Folks, if you'd like to go is just go to this website Crystal Ballroom all one word Crystal Ballroom, Boston dot com. So Crystal Ballroom, Boston dot com, slash events, slash Let's Rock Cancer. You'll find it easily. And it's Thursday night. The seven twelve starts at doors open at six and goes until around ten o'clock and everyone is invited. It's a relatively minimal charge twenty five dollars. Okay, most people can afford that, and that money is going to go to help a lot of people who might not be aware of the treatments that are available for some of these horrific diseases. Doctor Lathan, thanks very much. I love your enthusiasm. You must have tremendous enthusiasm not only in this, but you also must have tremendous enthusiasm as a as a physician. Thank you for what you do, and I mean that honestly, all of us we don't take the time to thank the medical community as we should for your dedication to making it a better place for all of us, and also to helping many of our families to maintain loved ones for longer than perhaps they would have been destined to have maintained if it was not for the work of physics like yourself. So thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me on, Dan. I really appreciate it. That really take care and I really, really, I really appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Right back at you have a great night. I won't be there because it'll be on the air that night, but I'll be there in spirit. Thanks again. All right, thank you, Okay, my pleasure. We have the news now at the bottom of the hour. When we come out, we're going to talk about I guess we got a little bit of snow coming into the New England area around the Thanksgiving holiday, and in terms of where we were a couple of weeks ago with weather, that's kind of a stone. And we got Brian Thompson, an ACU weather meteorologist, coming by and we're going to talk about this weekend and going to talk about the future looks like the next few days. As we rolled into the Thanksgiving holiday, it is upon us, ladies and gentlemen. Summer is over, Summer is over, Thanksgiving is here. We'll be back with my guest, Brian Thompson, great meteorologist, right after this this newsroom break, Boston's News Radio delighted to be joined by Brian Thompson at you Weather meteorologist. Brian, Welcome back Tonight's I thanks for being available. It's been a few kind of quiet weeks for the weather teams, but I think it's going to get a little active in the next week or so. What are we looking at.
Speaker 1: Bell, Yeah, Dan, things finally starting to turn around a little bit. We were in that dry pattern, that extended dry pattern, and we really have built up quite a rainfall deficit or precipitation deficit over the course of the fall, and even through now, we're storing about six and a half inches below the seasonal average in Boston, even with the almost inch of rain we've had so far, and we have more coming tonight in suit tomorrow, and it's it's certainly a stormy or pattern coming up. We're gonna have another system coming through early next week around Monday and Tuesday. And we're watching at least the potential for a storm later next week, not to certainly not edget in Stone yet, but there's ingredients there potentially for a storm to develop later next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be after this quiet weather pattern of about three months. That will be a nightmare scenario if something big hits the country, you know, a day before Day Off or a day after Thanksgiving? Yike? Where is this one percolating? Is it percolating out in the Rockies or is it percolating somewhere down down in one of the Caribbean islands? What are we looking at here? Now?
Speaker 1: This one, the the late week storm would be coming out of the Rockies, probably taking a track through the Tennessee Valley and then off off to the east northeast.
Speaker 2: Now, the question is when.
Speaker 1: Does that storm develop and how far north does it get, And there have been obviously this is still almost a week away, so there's still gonna be some some pretty significant changes in the track and even whether the storm completely develops or not. Just looking at one of the one of the US models, it had a pretty pretty sizable storm. They came up through the Tennessee Valley and off the east coast. It would bring some rain, possibly some snow mixed in to the Boston area. But then the a round six hours later really had very little and had a storm day later but much farther south, much more suppressed, much weaker. So there's still some big changes going on, and probably until we get a couple of these initial storms through and so we'll have a better idea of where this thing is going. Because the storm that's going through now it's a very complex feature. We've had a storm just kind of pin wheeling off off the mid Atlantic coast and kind of made its way in inland across Pennsylvania, parts of New Jersey, dropped a lot of snow in some areas, and that storms now forming reforming off off the New England coast and that's what's going to bring us the rain into tomorrow.
Speaker 2: What was I watched one of the nightly newscast today. I said there was some town in New Jersey. Never heard of it, high Point, New Jersey. I didn't even know that New Jersey had any high points, never minded Houn Dame high point twenty inches of Oh, that has to be I don't know I've connected. Does New Jersey have some mountains like the Polconos in the northwest sections of the state. I'm familiar with the topography of New Jersey, and it's pretty flat.
Speaker 1: It is most most of the state is very flat. But like you're mentioning northwest New Jersey, parts of Sussex County, it just is basically the eastern side of the Poconoes. It's not as not as tall a mountains as the Poconos, but you you have hills there that are over a thousand feet And this was a very elevation dependent storm, so a lot of areas that were over one thy twelve hundred feet throughout northwest New Jersey into northeast Pennsylvania, even parts of the Hudson Valley of New York. Certainly across parts of the Catskills too, picked up a lot of snow. There were a lot of areas that picked up over a foot of snow just because of the way, like I said, the storm is just kind of pin wheeling around. It really wasn't moving a whole lot. So we're seeing these bands of heavier snow get stuck. And where it was cold enough in the high terrain, the snow really piled up. Even in some of the lower terrain of North Jersey, they did pick up at least some snow. Was not nearly as much as the twenty inches in High Point, but it wasn't It was a storm that dropped a It was a pretty significant early season storm for many places that picked up all the snow. It was the first storm of the season, the first snowfall, and it came in with a bang.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I got to ask you a couple of questions. Now, the fire problem here in Massachusetts with the drought, that's all the newscasts the last couple of weeks, Fire here, fire there, et cetera. Did this did the rain that's fallen so far in the last twenty four hours. Does has that had an impact in terms of suppressing and calming down the fire situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in fact, I would I would venture to say that's probably going to be just about it for the fire threat this year unless something really Unless it really dries out in December, but as the days get cooler, we don't get those really warm days that are the humidity is running really low. That happens in the spring, and it happens in the fall, and it was exacerbated this fall because of how dry it was. So, like I said, the rainfall deficit we're running is still very big. It's still over six inches. But just the fact that we've had now already over an inch of rain, we may add another half inch to an inch into tomorrow. It's going to certainly make the ground a lot wetter. And like I said, as we get into the stormier pattern this coming week, we're gonna have opportunities for rain and that should at least keep the brush, the leaves, things that were fuels for these fires wetter than they have been in recent weeks, and that should really pretty much eliminate the fire thread here in the short term.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I noticed, and every year long about April, they'll tell us that the hurricane season is starting from June first, and it runs I believe through November thirtieth. Technically we're almost out of the hurricane season now. But this was a pretty quiet hurricane season for us here north of Virginia. I mean, I know that there was the big one, Helene, well, the two big ones, Helene and Milton, hitting Florida and the Carolinas and some of the southern states. But we had nothing this year in New England. How how odd is that? I mean, it's odd obviously that we had such a nice weather in October, but the absence of even even a hint of a hurricane or threat of a hurricane. Has that happened previously? Or is that? Is this the first time that has been that arid to use a word that may have may have application here again at this time of year, September, October and into November.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's happened. We've had years that have been very docile with the hurricanes, even more so than this year. This is this is a fairly active hurricane season in general, but like you said, certainly for New England it was not.
Speaker 2: I will say, given.
Speaker 1: That the fact that we had four to five landfalling storms in the Gulf of Mexico. It is odd that one of them did not come up here and at least dump a decent amount of rain. A lot of times these get pulled northward depending on how the jet streams running, and they'll usually bring at least some rain, not necessarily direct tropical impact, but it brings the rain northward. And we really didn't even see much of that this year.
Speaker 2: There was very little, very little moisture.
Speaker 1: But I think the thing was here, especially as we got into September and October. One of the reasons we were so dry. We had this constant parade of high pressure systems coming down from the northwest. Is bringing down the dry Canadian air that was keeping us really rain free and it was helping to deflect a lot of these storms away. Helene was a good example of that that was getting pulled northward. It kind of got stuck a little bit down in the Carolinas and just never could really come northward because of the weather pattern that was in place.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question. I'm going to put your crystal ball in front of you in view of what it's been like, and we now have a rainfall or a deficit of four inches five inches and whatever does that put tend we're going to have a snowy winter or does it have no impact at all on what the snow accumulation might or might not be.
Speaker 1: I would really say it would have very little impact on the winter ahead. Like I said, we were in this pattern where we just had consistent dry air masses, but it seems like we're starting to slowly come out of that. Now it's a somewhat stormier pattern and we expect that trend to continue here as we head into the winter months, and that should at least lead to more opportunities for precipitation, not saying it will be necessarily snow, as we do think that the winter is going to be on the my older side, which would suggest at least more storms that would have some mixing or at least the potential for some rain instead of snow. But again, it doesn't look like we'll get into quite the dry pattern we've been in. We do expect it to pick up a little bit as far as precipitation goes.
Speaker 2: I really do appreciate all your time tonight. Brian Thompson, AKI weather meteorologist, A great job, answered all of my questions. You made me feel a little bit better about what's going on here, and maybe we'll all survive this and be talking about this in the past ten sometime around January February, when we're talking about some blizzard that has swept in here. Thanks so much, Brian, I appreciate it very much. Good to be with you, Dan, Hey, have a great weekend and a great Thanksgiving to you and yours. Okay, thanks so much too. All Right, we get back. We're going to talk about a resort, different type of resort up in northern New England. We'll explain it all right after this final break here on the night Side News Update Hour. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio. All right, welcome back. As we wrap up our hour, we're going to talk with Michael Snaide. He's the president of Resort Residential for Great Golf. Michael, I've never heard of Resort Residential for Great Golf, but apparently you guys have a project going on up at Killington. Tell us about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do. We're pretty excited to be part of the growth of Killington. As you may know, Killington is the largest ski mountain in the East, and yet it doesn't have a base village, and so Great Gulf acquired the property in May of twenty twenty three to develop what will become over the next twenty twenty five years two three hundred new units, both at the base and up up the mountain to the mid station.
Speaker 2: So is this going to be like the villages of the North? I mean, when we think about villages, we think about the villages down in central Florida which just keeps expanding and expanding. Is this for year round?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Is it residential year round? Is it? Is it seasonal? Tell us about it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure our vision. Of course, many ski resorts appeal to people for the winter season, the winter ski season, but Killington's been doing a very good job of also appealing to people to come and take part in their mountain biking and hiking and leaf watching during the fall season. And so Killington is becoming a place to be all all months of the year. And so our concept is to provide a resort village or resort community that takes advantage of every month of the year and that provides amenities, programs and events that will will focus on those on those seasonal activities and rather than I know, the village is very well down in Florida. It's quite an amazing development. I developed a place right next door a little higher end. I would think that the villages down in Florida just keeps growing, whereas ours is limited to twenty three hundred residential units.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's only it's a lot of flatter in central Florida. It's a pretty impressive website. When give us a little scheduled construction schedule, I'm sure you probably have it written on the back of your hand or indeubibly eched in your mind. Where's the project at this point and give us a timeline.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we're really looking for hopefully, of course, dependent on the market, we're looking to it about this time next year, commence our selling program and then that with the proper approvals in place and being able to move in at we would like to start construction in the spring of twenty and twenty six, and then the first units would be complete within eighteen months to twenty four months after that, so you know, in time for ski season twenty twenty seven into twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: So this is literally we're we're at the beginning here, and if people want to learn more about it, give us the website. It's a pretty simple website.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's Livekillington dot go ahead. Oh I'm sorry, it's Livekillington dot com. And then I also encourage anybody to go on the Killington Resort website and we've got a link there to our website as well. Killington Resort is an exciting place to be. This weekend or next week just after Thanksgiving, they're going to be hosting the World Cup Killington World Cup and Great Golf will be a Diamond sponsor of the Stifha Killington World Cup this year, and as part of that, we will have information booth within the vendor village and also a major presence within the VIP tent. So I encourage all of your listeners to take the trip up to Killington, meet us up there and support the US ski team. Wouldn't it be great to watch Mikaela Shiffern win her one hundredth World Cup event and hopefully watch Paula Molten achieve another top ten years old?
Speaker 2: All right, well, we appreciate it very much. It's always nice to talk to you. Are you a Matt, Are you a New England guy yourself. I do not detect any sort of a local accent. I'm always curious when I talk to folks who are undertaking such big projects. I assume you must have some connections to New England.
Speaker 6: Well, I've been coming to New England for probably forty years, so I feel like a New Englander. But I'm actually based in Toronto, Canada. So A Great Golf is a Toronto firm. It was established in nineteen seventy five by two brothers, Elliot Norman Riseman, and today the company is one of North America's premier real estate organizations. We develop all over North America.
Speaker 2: As Michael, as soon as I heard you pronounced organization, if you had said that earlier, I would have known it's a Canadian pronunciation. We say organization. But I'm sure you know that.
Speaker 6: I know I've got to study. I've got to do some studying of linguistics become more of a New Englander.
Speaker 2: I'm only teasing you. I'm teasing you. And yeah, I have friends of mine who even live up in a northern New York state and they'll say organization, and I'll say, what part of Canada. We live up you know, we live up in Lake Placid. We don't, but it's that Harry Sindon, the great former general manager of the Boston Bruins and coach as well as general manager. Harry used to always say organization and I'd kid him with it. I say, you're you're showing your Canadian roots here. Great, great to talk with to Michael, you're good sport. Thank you very much. It is he's the president. You're welcome, residential of Great Golf. Thank you, my friend. We'll talk soon. Okay, best A'll like we'll talk again. Thank you very much. Bye bye. All right, that's always fun. All right, we will move on and we're going to talk very seriously in the next hour. In what we're going to talk about in the next hour is what happened sixty one years ago today, a moment in time that rocked the world. If you were alive back then and maybe over ten years of age, I do not have to remind you what today is the sixty first anniversary off. If you were not alive back then, or were born, say early in the late fifties or in the early sixties, you might not know. So with that sort of a tease. We'll come back and we're going to talk to someone who has studied this American tragedy for many years, and we're going to talk about the possibility that soon we all might learn a lot more about this anniversary