Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: You've found your anchor at the crossroads of power and presence. This is Musings and Modalities. It's time to move beyond the noise and cultivate a legacy rooted in values, aligned leadership, and earth energy.
Speaker 1: We've evolved the conversation.
Speaker 2: Bringing you a grounded perspective on embodying true luxury and beauty in your life and work. If you feel the resonance of truth and are ready for the shift.
Speaker 1: You are home.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, and welcome to Musings and Modalities. I'm Tristan Stowickie, and I'm so excited for today's episode entitled Visual Storytelling for purpose driven Entrepreneurs with Roxanne Ingstrom. Before I dive into the episode, I want to discuss my summer offer. You've spent decades building a life that looks successful, but you know your profound legacy is meant to be far greater than your current output.
Speaker 1: If corporate exhaustion.
Speaker 2: And uncertainty are blocking your path, it's time for decisive change. This twelve week one on one Musings and Modalities Container is the definitive strategic frame work designed to eliminate burnout and anchor you into your most impactful decade. This is the energetic and strategic makeover required to claim your next level. In this you'll get radical clarity where I design the exact blueprint of your legacy and implement a values aligned strategy to build it, ensuring every action aligns with your true purpose. This includes unshakable authority, exchanging the need for external validation with grounded self trust, positioning you is the leading and bodied authority you're meant to be. And of course this includes proven results. While you'll get that profound transformation that immediately delivers measurable relief from the tired, mad and blaw cycle affecting your health, your wealth, and your love. With only four exclusive slots available, this opportunity is reserved for those ready to commit to their quantum leap and impact and income. You can book your legacy call today at musingzomodalities dot com and step into your true power. And now I'd love to introduce Roxane Instrum.
Speaker 1: Roxane is the.
Speaker 2: Founder and visual storyteller behind Hawa Images. She is the mother of four, wife to Jason of almost twenty five years, entrepreneur, MS warrior, and visual storyteller who pursues living vulnerably and confidently and helping others do the same. What lights her up is seeing women feel seen, empowered and both encouraged and challenged to really live wide, awake and abundantly. As a visual storyteller, she helps purpose driven entrepreneurs show up with clarity and confidence and connection through brand photography that goes deeper than a headshot, so their visuals finally match the true value they bring and their connection with their ideal clients, and to share their story with intention and strategy. This is so beautiful. I love your purpose, Roxanne. Thank you so much for being here and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much Tristan for having me. And you know I love women that choose to share their platform with other women, so that's kudos to you. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we met recently at a dinner that was so fun. And what I loved about that dinner that I co host and Raleigh with Christy Straw is that I immediately was like, Oh, this is a person I want to hang out with. This is a person that like shares my values. This is a person that lights up every person in the room, you know, and makes them a better version of themselves.
Speaker 1: So I'm so happy you're here.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. I feel the same. That was awesome, Thank you girl.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So let's talk about visual storytelling, you know, kind of defining for the audience what that is and how you got your start there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, I I share that I'm a visual storyteller instead of leading with I'm a photographer, because for me, photographers take pictures. And I know that for some people maybe that's just like a word, but I think that words really matter and they have power, and I try not to take anything from anyone that I'm collaborating with. So for me, I don't even really say I take pictures. I try not to say that I co create images with my clients or with people. And really, how I got started in this is it. You know, it didn't really photography, sort of, I joke. It sort of happened to me, and I found it through the desire to like express what I was experiencing and the stories of others. But it really found me through like people and their stories. I lived on a small island off the coast of East Africa for four years and when I moved there, you know, I think, you know, you always at least is how God gets me into stuff in my life. I never really know what's going to happen, or I probably wouldn't have moved right. It was all the heart and the challenge, but also wrapped up in that is probably some of the richest four years of our lives as a family. And I really arrived thinking like, oh, like we were there doing educational and geo work. I'm like, oh, I have something to offer. And what I quickly realized is I had everything to learn. And I really made real friendships that were forged across like a lot of differences, and I decided, like, this is so powerful, but like what people in the US think about my friends is just not the reality. And it's too sacred and holy for me to just tell my version of this story. And I saw a lot of like unethical what I would consider now unethical storytelling, where you know, foreigners come in maybe quote unquote with the best of intentions. I feel like people of privilege and power love to just rely on their intentions and would straight up actually tell lies or you know, the language barrier was there, things like that, and I'm like, that's not that's not really what's happening or that's not really what these the folks that had become dear friends to me wanted to share. So I started taking photography classes, but the joke was on me because power was very unreliable. So I would have these courses online that I could never log into or be on, but I had like the printouts, and then I would just study and learn and go around. But I really started waiting until I was invited in by friends or people in my community, and that changed everything. So I always say relationships over images became like a huge part of my philosophy. But that's how it started for me. And it might seem weird, like how did you get to doing brands now? But to me it completely tracks because to really tell someone's visual story is not just about angles and lighting and making them look good, and it's definitely not just about a perfect headshot. It's about honoring their story in a dignifying way and taking the time to get to know what makes them special and what they what they want to be seen and known for. So I just I came home from that experience like profoundly changed and I've never been able to be the same again from that. So honoring stories is really important to me.
Speaker 2: That's so beautiful And what I love is that you took something that you were learning kind of through your heart and through your spirit as well as actually, like, there's a lot of mechanics that goes into photography. There's a lot of like the felack of very term science behind it, right, like a different thing, and it's I'm always so impressed with photography because getting a shot that tells a story has the right timing and you know, truly shares the essence of something right, rather than capturing right right, rather than using words that have that taking mentality, but really saying like there's a there's a vulnerability here, and if you can kind of walk us through how you kind of deal with when you have a client that has a lot of vulnerability, because that was definitely me when I started showing up in my business, especially the first few years, and really created an environment that allows them to feel safe and seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question. Yeah, And I try not to use the word capture either, which is so hard because that's like the language that's used, but it's also very colonialistic. You know, there's lots of problematic things with just and and again, I'm not trying to be like the politically correct word police. I really do believe that the way that we talk about things is the way that we do things. And so for me, vulnerability is huge. And I that's one of the reasons why I will never ask someone to do something I'm not doing. So I do this myself twice a year. I try at least once a year. I also and for me, like I think people that know me now might think like, oh, it's so easy for her to show up girl bye. I used to sweat through my clothes when I was like doing a live or like you know, and so I think it's like a muscle confidence and you know, it's almost like exposure therapy to vulnerability. And again, vulnerability that has boundaries because you will not catch me talking about a lot of things online because it's not appropriate, and there's boundaries around things in my life. But for me, before I ever pick up the camera, and I offer free discovery calls, but I always tell my clients like, don't hire me if you're not prepared to be sick of me, because for me, a lot of the work comes before I do not I say this all the time. I will not roll up your location and take my camera out of my bag. That's not I'm just not that photographer. And there's a lot of great ones that do, and that's fine. But for me, I try to get to know my clients, their business, their story, their uh like their offers, there, why they started, their why, like their client experience, what makes them different because in a world where increasingly, especially with AI, everything is kind of looking the same or sounding the same, right, that is how you stand out is with your unique story. And my clients really say a lot of times I hear from them that, like the strategy part of this was huge for them because they the intention around that and the strategy was really really big. So I try to like be you know, hype woman, cheerleader, encourage them. I show poses like nobody is ever going to feel like they don't know what to do their hand with their hands on a shoot with me, you know, but we also create an entire brand guide, We have a planning call, so like they know part of that vulnerability is because they don't know the unknown. It's already hard enough, especially the messages women get about their bodies and about who they are to show up and take up space, but I try to make sure that they as much as they can know they do know, and then I allow space during our actual session to do that. I also feel like I hear a lot of people and an amazing mom and women of color that I was on a podcast with. I will always say that she's the one that shared this with me and it was amazing, But she said, you can't create places of safety for people. You can only invite safety. Safety is felt by each individual, So I can never say I create safe spaces. What I try to do and what I work really hard at is inviting safety. And people decide, you know that for themselves. So you know I am I and you know, especially in my past, self described hot mess, don't have it all together, take messy action. But I show up as my full real self so that clients know that perfection is not the goal, but like presence and being real is. And I think, you know that's my whole ethos people over photos and so I really want to take the time. Like my client on Friday, she's amazing, lost her keys. We were running late. I was like, girl, we nobody's worried. Everybody's fine, don't worry about it, like, and I just want people to know that, like before, I'm worried about just you know, your gallery, Like the experience is as important to me as the final gallery.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's how you make people feel because they don't forget that, you know. Well, like as you shared your your updating kind of your branding, your update, your business changes, you know, even like I had my.
Speaker 1: My like style colors done.
Speaker 2: You know, and so even something like that, as you get more information and new information that you're kind of adjusting things. But people know consistently that they can go to you and like who they are in that moment, how they're feeling, what truth they want to share with their clients or potential clients is so beautiful and so lovely, and so I so appreciate you offering the invitation to those to those spaces and tweaking as you need to with each individual person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's like, you know, I always say I take on a limited number of clients, and part of that is because of the other things I have gone on in my life and my other first things. I try to keep first things first, right, don't always get the perfect balance. I don't even know if that exists, but it's like a rhythm. But one of the reasons I do that too is because, like I kind of low key become a little bit obsessed with my clients and they become friends and I'm cheering them on and I want them to win. And I think that's who I was before I pivoted to brand photography, so it was such a natural fit. I'm always like, you know, I always say, like pay time. I tell my kids, it's all the time, pay attention to like what lights you up, what needs in the world. You see that you can impact for good and use your gifts like that's a god thing, Like he gave you that and put that in you, like the things I keep you up at night? How can you impact change in a positive way? And I think for me, one of the things I want to do is like help women to know that they don't have to wait to claim space or be successful, that they can define that on their own terms, because success for me looks very different than it does for someone else. And yeah, I love I love seeing women feel empowered to take up space, earn, make money, change the world, because we know that when women make money, communities get better statistically. Yeah, so I'm obsessed. I'm like, let's go we write at dawn, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Anything?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, and especially as there's often these times when we're midshed or like my dear friend Sandy Davis says, that messy metal.
Speaker 1: And so when I think about the times.
Speaker 2: Where I've like kind of stretched myself to be like, okay it's time to update branding, I'm stepping into that woman that I know, but having that kind of photograph and having kind of that visual story to be able to on those hard days, remember you know who you are, and remember that you're always becoming. So I'd love to talk about how that really translates into real business impact for those purpose driven entrepreneurs and how kind of updating the branding does really matter in their journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I mean I think that a lot of this is I think that often if any of the women listening can relate, right, if you're an entrepreneur or if you're in business, right, we often are juggling a lot of things at home, a lot of things in business, and we have to write for a lot of time, be heads down, just like get it done, like get it done. Focus, lock in, as my teenagers would say, right, But I think sometimes we don't take the time needed to reflect and celebrate what we've already built. And I think that that celebration of what we've already built is important, not just because it does fuel the next season, right, but because it matters to a lot of us are in like providing services, right, or coaches or doing these things for people, but we're not doing those things for ourselves, you know. And I think, like I love so many times in the last year, I can tell you stories of like women looking at the back of the camera and being like is that me? And I'm like, hell, yeah, girl, it is, you know what I mean, and like or somebody crying and being like I can't believe that this is what I've built, you know, And those moments to me are like that is what part of this experience is, is that it's twofold. It's celebrating what you've done to get where you are, and it's helping you show up. And literally I was out carrying fire hoses this morning at five am, and I am doing that to build muscle for the next season of my life, right, and confidence is a muscle, So when you size it. When you show up in front of the camera with a person that feels like that they got you and that they're gonna be kind with you, you build confidence to keep doing that. And again it's that exposure therapy. I always say, like people say to me, oh, I hate pictures of myself, I'm like, girl, hold my beer, let's go, because you just have not been photographed by somebody who sees you yet or who really and now there are some things we have to deal with in therapy. Like I've been in therapy for years and years and years of my life. So I'm not saying a photo shoot fix is that there are things that a therapist and hard work and like working on yourself in reflection fixes, but sometimes it is also exposing ourselves to the thing that scares us with people like that. When my client's book a visionary VIP session, they have a stylist, hair and makeup, video support, they have an entire hype squad of women in a room, and it is special. When I tell you that experience is like there's nothing like it, Like it's just like all these women in this room want you to look your best, be your best, win and that is like it's a special thing. And I've heard that over and over again from clients, and I'm really proud of like inviting that kind of environment. So it's you know, you deserve to celebrate what you've built, and let's ride at dawn and step into the next season of what you're building, because what got you where you are is not going to get you where you're going. And that's not a scarcity mindset. That's a you deserve and the confidence that you're going to continue to build will help you go where you haven't gone before, even if it's scaling back and just knowing your value and your worth. Right, it's not always about scaling up. That's not always what success looks like. So I just think like business and life is very seasonal. Have I just made a hard business decision this morning actually to pull back from something because it's just not the right season. And I reserve the right to edit my life at any time, And so I just want to say to women, like, edit your life, step in to confidence, celebrate what you've built, and step into the next season, and you deserve. Like I hear so often people are like, I'll do it when I have more clients, I'll do it. When I lose ten pounds, I'll do it win. And when is the last time you hired someone because they were ten pounds thinner?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 3: Never, You hire people because they are experts at what they do and they are leading by example. There's something inspirational about that or something about that brand story that resonates with you, or that service you need. You have fomo that product, you have fomo about it, whatever it is, and you don't create that by playing small.
Speaker 2: And that all also speaks to So I talk with my clients about their non negotiables, right and so by your season kind of editing and getting really really clear on like this is either a no, this is a not now you know if it aligns in the future, or this is you know very much a yes. Full body and those non negotiables of you know, time for sleep, you know, body movement, making sure you're actually eating so often women just don't, or skin but you know what I mean, it's like we need to build strong.
Speaker 1: Bodies, like that's how we do it, as.
Speaker 2: Well as you know, making time for their legacy and their goals. And you know, for me, one of my non negotiables is joy and whimsay because I'm not who I the best version of me and who I want to be. If I don't have that in my week, it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: I become very like blah and very low.
Speaker 3: And love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so in talking about that, I also wanted to talk a little bit about kind of ethical imagery because for me, i'm someone when I see when i'm connecting with the light in someone where i'm researching them, when you know, we're doing a call or anything like that. If I see images of them in front of an audience that we're on the stage, that typically isn't where I resonate with them. And that's okay, you know, it could be very much they feel in their power in that and things like that. But oftentimes photographs can feel staged, and that comes through the lens or there's an element of maybe you're not lot of others, not your clients, trying to showcase who they are. It's like the idea of people taking photos in first class and they rented, you know what I mean, and they're trying to use photography as a tool to to say they are. I don't want to say above where they are but their their life is very different, you know. So I just wanted to kind of open up the conversation around you know, ethical imagery and storytelling and what that means to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really interesting. I like that you brought that up. I say a lot like I actually want to be a successful person, not just look like one on Instagram. And that being said, success to me does not look like necessarily red bottom shoes or you know, super expensive whatever. It looks like time and choice and options and impact, right, and maybe maybe maybe a nice perse every once in a while, you know what I mean. But like, let's keep it real. But I think for me, I learned so to backtrack. I and this is what I think you have to pay attention dur in your life. I saw unethical storytelling. I wouldn't have said, I wouldn't have had those words at the time. But I saw people come in from the outside tell stories about a group of people without their consent that weren't dignifying, that wasn't what they wanted to be shared about themselves. And because I spoke the language, I was like, this is not what's happening here, right, And so I saw people with quote unquote good intentions, and we cannot I say this all the time, but we cannot judge ourselves by our intentions. We have to start looking at our impact. And that is a harder thing to look at. But you know, when we reduce someone to their struggle or their difference or a narrative that serves us, but it's at the expense of someone else, or like you said, we're feeling this pressure to puff up now on brand storytelling sessions, I do do what's called cure rated candid imagery. Of course, like we invite models in, we have some of that stuff. But I always say to people, like my clients will say, well, should I buy this if you know, if I do I need that for the shoot, And I'm like no, if you don't have them, you don't use it.
Speaker 2: No, like no.
Speaker 3: Like now, maybe maybe if your organizer is completely disgusting and you've spilt coffee on it sixteen times, I might tell you to go get a new journal, right, But we are not curating a life that is completely fake. We are trying to tell the story in a visually appealing way because there is that right, Like I'm not trying to like That's why I have a double chin, right, don't trust nobody without a double chin. I'm gonna get your angle, girl. But it's it's because and also a lot of speaker photos are horrible, right, People's like their expressions when they speak, So we curate some of that so that it's flattering, but it's not inauthentic in the way where it's it's telling a story that's not there. So I think that you know, we have to tell the story that we've been invited to tell with dignity, context and excellence. And like I I could have a choice right when I lived in East Africa to to photograph my friends and use those images to tell stories. And I probably overstepped this a couple times, right, and I had to pull back. Like actually, when I went through a redid my entire website. This was years ago, five or six years ago, I realized, I don't know that I have informed consent for some of these amazing images, so I'm taking them down. So I'm not at all saying I haven't made mistakes. What I think you have to do is edit your life as you realize, right and as you know better. And I really give a lot of credit to Photographers Without Borders. I went on a trip to Guatemala with them and I got certified in ethical storytelling and the questions. That is a bipocket like women led organization. And what is so amazing about that is like they are asking hard, uncomfortable questions and that really helped me because in the non for profit and organizational works especially, the stakes are high, like it's easier, and that's why actually some organizations choose not to work with me. One maybe because of price thing, but two it takes more time to do something the right way, and people want it quick and dirty and they just want to tell a story to get funding. But I would tell you too, the impact and the funding that is going to be people staying with you for the long term is going to be when you do that better and when you do it with dignity and intention and you really get that informed consent. So images shape how we see each other. Right, they can dissuade us from loving each other, they can reinforce fear, or they can open opportunity to truly see each other. And it's not neutral. Photography is not neutral. It actually lends itself to exploitation. So I want to be very careful in how I use it. I consider it a huge responsibility that I have this camera, and for me, I try to use it as a tool. I try to show it's like a mirror to show people who they really are, the beauty, the amazingness that God created them to be. That maybe sometimes like we all lose sight of.
Speaker 2: Absolutely no, there is that energetic impact through absolutely yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I think we see that through the impact of social media.
Speaker 2: We see that through the impact of where we connect with incredible you know, business owners, and we also see the you know downside of that.
Speaker 1: So that you spoke to I'd love to talk about where the audience can find you.
Speaker 2: You also have some incredible things that you've kind of released this summer, so please share you know, all that.
Speaker 1: You have going on in your world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I want to say one more thing too. We didn't get to this question, but as an MS warrior, I always say this, like, if you if if for a moment, the moment, the mom of twenty years is going to come out if you are you know, charging ahead full steam. I actually feel like for me, I had a gift of a life disruption, of a life changing diagnosis that forced me to take things like rest and nutrition and sleep and you know, sleep hygiene and like therapeutic care, all all those things, like breath work, like all those things very much more seriously. But I my hope and prayer is that if you are listening, you never feel less then, and you never feel like you're not doing enough. You feel and know that you can stop right where you are, edit make the changes you need to be the hero of your own story, and trust that you are not going to miss what's good for you in caring for yourself. That's never where you're gonna miss it. And we don't, as especially as women. We don't just care for ourselves because we're moms and so our kids deserve it. We care for ourselves because we deserve that. And so I think a lot of people will be like, I have to do it for my kids. It will have an impact on them because they will see us and the biggest thing is modeled. But that's not why I care for myself. I care for myself because I'm worthy of caring for myself. And I just want women listening to know they are worthy of caring for themselves, hopefully before a life changing diagnosis, so but thank you so much for the opportunity. Yeah, you can find me at howa Hawaimages dot com and I'm over on Instagram. I have more fun on the Instagram streets than the LinkedIn streets. The LinkedIn streets be boring, y'all, but my shenanigans are more on the Instagram streets. But I love connecting. I'm a local photographer, brand storyteller, visual storyteller based in Nightdale, right outside of Raleigh. Shout out to Nightdale. I love my town and I do work all around the Triangle and I've done work all around the world, you know, Taiwan, India, East Africa, so I love traveling as well. It's always going to be a part of my heart because that's where I started my photography journey. And then yeah, I would love I am right now really looking to partner. Like I offer free discovery calls where and I don't follow up with you to the end of time. I just want to hear about your brand and business and see if it's aligned alignment. Transparency are also huge values of me and authenticity, So transparency, like I show you my typical session producer between one hundred and fifty and two hundred and fifty images from one photoshoot. So it's no joke like you're going to be tired, but you're going to be grateful when you get that gallery because it's a lot. If you are showing up and building a business and a brand and a life that you love on social media, I would love to cheer you on. I would love to give you assets that are going to build that for you in a way that is aligned and feels like you, but like snatched and elevated.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Rock Sanne, and thank you yeah for watching Musings and Modalities.
Speaker 1: Tune in.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me Tristan, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Tune in the second and four Thursdays of each month at three thirty pm Pacific six thirty pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: For more fabulous episodes. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you for tuning into this week's episode of Musings and Modalities. The truth has a resonance and if you felt that today, I invite you to subscribe to my channel. Be sure to share this episode with anyone ready to step into their legacy