Speaker 1: B b LA Talk fifteen eighty. I'm excited because she's here, she's live in the studio, and she's always so inspiring. Not only a board certified family medicine physician, she's the medical director of Trinity Health and Wellness Medical Group, she is a dancer, a yoga instructor, a pilates instructor, and star of the Internets as well as television formerly if married to medicine, but also I would say an influencer. Doctor Noel Reid, good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning, thanks for having Yeah, happy to be here.
Speaker 1: It's great to see you. I always say, you know you want your doctor to be healthier than you are. I mean that's how I feel well.
Speaker 3: You want to practice what you preach, right, Yeah, hopefully you know you're doing the things that you're telling other people to do.
Speaker 1: Well. And also, you know, not everybody and I know you won't. You won't talk smack about your fellow doctors because you're kind and positive, but not everybody even knows. Some people there's just more focused on you know, prescriptions and pain management and that kind of thing from a pharmaceutical perspective, and not as focus on the whole person. I mean, yeah, so, I mean one of the things that I was most impressed with when I first met you is that your practice also has yoga and pilates, so you have ways of being successful and profitable without me having to be sick.
Speaker 3: Well, the whole is that we focus on wellness management and not disease management.
Speaker 2: And I think rightly where.
Speaker 3: In the medical community we have placed our focus is treating disease once it shows up. But really, I think a better and more efficient approach is to prevent right. Prevention is easier than treatment. And the reality is is that disease starts ten twenty years before you start to have symptoms. Really, yeah, so to wait, you know, and start working behind the eight ball is not the way to go.
Speaker 1: I never realized. I never thought of it that way. I mean, it absolutely makes sense because something's brewing in your body, yeah, long before you feel it. Yeah. So I guess that is an argument for doing the right things because I imagine if you're living a healthier lifestyle, that thing that was brewing fifteen years ago maybe stopped in its tracks or maybe slowed in its development. Yeah.
Speaker 3: When we work on our behaviors, right, when we think about the things that we're putting into our body, our nutrition and the energy that we're putting out, the type of exercise that we're doing or maybe not doing, but you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah saying we're going to do. Speaking of that exercise, you know, I want to get in And you did a great You do a lot of great posts about you know, some things we should start doing or stop doing. But what is the Trinity Method? Because I've known you for a while and this is something new that you that I've just heard you start to talk about.
Speaker 3: So I'm really excited about the training new method. So you I believe know that I'm working on my pilate's teacher certification.
Speaker 2: So I've been.
Speaker 3: Yoga certified for fourteen plus years and now actively working on an eight hundred hour comprehensive PLATES certification. So I had the vision of basically doing a fusion exercise what I call the ultimate longevity exercise, where I fuse yoga and classical plates in addition to vibration therapy and red light therapy. Why because it's working at multiple modalities, So we're working at the metabolic level, cellular level, mechanical level, mechanical because of the work that we're doing right, So yoga pilates allows for core powerhouse activation, for lower body strength, spinal flexibility, balance, appropriateception, all of those things that we need what I believe are the four pillars of optimal physical health and longevity. But in addition to that, we use vibrational plates which also help in improving muscle activation. Muscle relaxation helps with circulation, Lymphatic drainage may also aid in improving growth hormone release, which slows as we get into each decade of life. And the red light therapy also working at the cellular level and improving mitochondria function. So really aging starts from the inside.
Speaker 2: Out at the cellular level with.
Speaker 3: The mitochondria, and we see mitochondrial dysfunction occur. Red light therapy helps improve that in addition to collagen production helping our skin nervous system reset. So multiple levels that we're working at with this one exercise that I call the Trinity method.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's a combination of a bunch of different things that have multiple levels of benefits. Yeah, and let's just I know that's not what today's show is about, but I you know what even is polates. I think we've barely gotten to the point everyone sort of knows what yoga is. It's not a religion, it's you know, it's a system of breath work and movement that's beneficial to mind, body and spirit. Yeah, so what is polates. So, Polates is.
Speaker 3: An extra size actually that was created by Joseph Pilates, okay several decades ago, right where actually his focus was really to rehab. He used this form of exercise to rehab injured dancers and athletes. And the focus is on of course the core, so what we call the powerhouse, So the abdominal muscles, the pair spinal muscles, the buttocks, the pelvic floor, all of those muscles that work in concert to create the powerhouse or the center of the body strengthening so that all movement, posture, balance stems from that.
Speaker 2: And it's really a system.
Speaker 3: And I think it's interesting too because I feel like how we have transitions now and.
Speaker 2: Pilates has become so popular.
Speaker 3: You know, it's kind of like net polates versus reformer pilates, you know, cribs versus bloods. The fight that goes on when really when Joseph Pilates created Pilates, which was actually originally called controlology. So it's learning how to control the body mind to muscle, you know, learning how to use the mind and the body and the spirit all in one a universal system.
Speaker 2: But he created us a system.
Speaker 3: So it was the mat and reformer and the Cadillac and the one that you and electric chair. I mean, there's so many apparatuses that are used within the plate system, and it's really about working for what's appropriate for the body that's in front of you, you know, because for some people there may be some things that they can't do on the mat, so we put them on the reformer to use the spring system.
Speaker 1: Right there, reformers like a machine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so an apparatus where there are springs with different you know, tensions. It allows different tensions and so many different exercises that you can do.
Speaker 2: But the spring system aids the body.
Speaker 3: So for those that can't do the exercises on the mat, you perhaps can do them with the spring system on.
Speaker 2: The reformer and vice versa.
Speaker 3: So really it is a system approach mind to muscle, working on building the powerhouse the core, but also other things in terms of improving your spinal flexibility and things of that nature.
Speaker 1: So when you say the powerhouse, the core. You're talking about the center of the body.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's all of these muscles, right, So, I think oftentimes two people misunderstand what core is. They think it's just the apps R, which it's not the case. It's a cylinder network of muscles. It's the abdominals, it's the pair spinals, so the muscles along the spine.
Speaker 2: It's the buttocks. It's the pelvic floor, so those muscles.
Speaker 1: At the buttocks too. I never thought of the buttocks as part of the core.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all of that works together in concert to support the spine and really where all posture, balanced movement should sem from.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, that's the it's the middle of your body that holds everything else. Everything else has to be is attached to it. And yeah, if you're strong, they are you can get away with a lot right.
Speaker 3: Well exactly in terms of your functionality, having a strong center, a strong powerhouse.
Speaker 2: That is a marker of longevity.
Speaker 3: You know, as I mentioned what I consider the four pillars of physical health, longevity is a powerhouse connection core strength, lower body strength, spinal flexibility, and balance. Those are things that need to be in place really for us to continue to be fully functional throughout life.
Speaker 1: Doctor Noel Reid, MD is here, and when we come forward, she's got five habits that can help you live longer and I imagine much better quality of life, which is my thing. I don't have to be here forever, but I want to feel good while I'm here. Five habits that you might want to get into, and why we'll get to that little well being for your Wednesday with doctor Noel Read. I'm Dominiqueafrima for KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. Doctor Noel Read is here and we're talking about your well being. Let's get it together. People. You talk about these four pillars of longevity and good health, and I'm sure they factor into the five habits. So let's break down these five habits for longevity, which means, of course, how long you live.
Speaker 3: So Number one, I would say the foundation is nutrition, right, and I think that oftentimes we over complicate this, especially here in Los Angeles. You know where I hear from a lot of my patients. Well, I'm paleo or I'm vegan, vegetarian, flexitarian, all these differentarians, right. Well, really, the goal is to have a balanced, varied diet. If you do follow the diet of the centenarians of the world, right, those who live to one hundred years and beyond. It is typically plant based, okay, so not plant only plant based, I would say eighty twenty rule. And this is essentially how I eat, So I would say, you know, eighty percent plant, twenty percent animal. But there's balance in things, right, So we're not missing things, because I do find them with my patients who do highly restrict so they are vegan or pale or what have you, they're missing some things, you know, but perhaps that there's some vitamin deficiencies or not enough protein intake and things of that nature that can make it challenging. So I do think that you have to adopt a that works best for you and your lifestyle and what your body needs are. Now, I do believe in intermittent fasting because this is something that I feel you can do lifelong, because that's the goal, right.
Speaker 1: You want to do it right, And I misunderstood, you know, really, intermittent fasting to me, really isn't even fasting. It just means not eating for as many hours out of a twenty four hour cycle.
Speaker 2: Giving your gut a rest. That's what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Essentially, and so again it's not a diet, it's a practice. It's timed eating. So it is something that you could do for the next ninety years, not the next ninety days, because that's the goal, is consistency for life. And if you look at the studies, typically what you would see is an eight to sixteen hour ratio, right, so you eat eight hours of the day you fast or remaining sixteen, which is fine, and that has worked well for like weight loss and things of that nature. But that might not be the right racial for everyone. And that's what I think people need to understand too, that nothing is really cookie cutter. You have to do what's best for your body. So, for instance, if you are over forty or let's say perimenopausal menopazzle, you may not want to do an eight to sixteen hour racial because that fast may be too long for you. It may actually put more stress on the body than what is.
Speaker 2: Required or what's necessary.
Speaker 3: Because at the end of the day, what are we fighting the quartersol loop? Right, We're fighting cortisol. It rises within each decade of life, it rises with life. Stresso is a stress hormone.
Speaker 1: Hormone es right, that makes us hold on to belly fat another intramuscular fat, another problematic.
Speaker 2: Thing chronically stressed.
Speaker 3: Yes, it can rise and stay elevated and cause you know, blood pressure to go up and pour fat distribution. As you mentioned, fat in the belly where we don't want it. So we're fighting that loop.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So with fasting for too long, you could be working against yourself and so you may want to consider if you do fit.
Speaker 2: Into this group.
Speaker 3: Let's say over forty perimidopausal mental pazzle, maybe doing a shorter fast like a ten to fourteen hour fat.
Speaker 1: But what that really means is if you start eating at if you start eating at twelve noon, you stop eating at eight if you're doing an eight sixteen exactly right. And so it doesn't mean I think when people think they have to starve themselves when it comes to fascinating, it just means you stop eating earlier and you start eating later.
Speaker 3: Right, Well it did, yes, So it's time eating, right, So you find a finite period where you intake and then when you stop. I would say the golden rule is to make sure that you have an appropriate stop time, and so that would be at least three hours before bedtime when you start is up to you, right, but I would say if you're doing the eight to sixteen hour ratio, that's probably fine, but you may want to consider doing ten to fourteen or maybe even twelve to twelve, eating twelve fasting twelve, so you do allow for that appropriate amount of time to give your gut a rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because I never thought I could do that because I have, you know, blood sugar issues. But I found that my body adjusted to it immediately and it was fine. And then my body seemed to be very angry with me when I decided to snack in the middle of the night because it wasn't used to it anymore. It was like, whoa, this is our rest time.
Speaker 2: What are you doing exactly?
Speaker 3: And you know what it actually with intermitted fasting, it helps to improve insulin sensitivity as well as lipid profiles or cholesterol, so it actually does help metabolically as well. So yeah, if you are someone who perhaps is pre diabetic or diabetic, it is doable.
Speaker 2: You just have to do what will work best for you.
Speaker 3: So again, maybe not doing those prolonged fasting ratios, but a ten to fourteen or twelve to twelve may work best.
Speaker 1: When you say insulin sensitivity. That's for people who have pre diabetes, which would be you know, too much insulin or diabetes where they might not have enough insulin either either side of the spectrum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and not producing enough insulin or the insulin is not functioning as it should, so they're not able to control their blood sugar as best possible.
Speaker 1: Paul Is in the chat's saying, if you're eating in a smaller window, you can still overeat calories within that timeframe. Maybe it didn't. That didn't happen to me. When I'm intermittent fasting, if I'm only eating for six or eight hours, I found I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I didn't cheat.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is that with intermittent fasting is not so I don't believe in calorie counting, right that really, no, I don't count calories. I do pay attention to my macros, right, so carbs, protein, fat, but calories and if itself, I'm not counting, and I don't typically recommend or suggest to my patience to.
Speaker 1: Do because we get obsessive.
Speaker 3: I think it's obsessive, and it doesn't necessarily the number doesn't tell the whole story, right, because you could have a thousand calories of a healthy protein, or you can have a thousand calories of processed foods, and those things don't equate to each other. One is feeding and building the body, one is destroying the body, you know, So I don't really think calorie counting.
Speaker 1: All calories are not created equal.
Speaker 2: All calories are not created equal.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it typically is harder to overeat when you do have a finite window.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I have a girlfriend. I haven't seen her in a while, but she was a close friend of mine and she restricted her calories. She was a stripper, so to be fair, she had to keep her body a certain way. But I mean her calorie restriction was I'll have a diet pepsi and fries. That's my whole daily nutrition because that adds up to as many calories as I'm going to eat. And I'm saying, but there's no nutritious value in that, right. You could eat ten pounds of kale and have the same amount of calories. So I think that I use that example to say all calories are not I can have twenty two salads and she had one pack of fries and a diet soda and we both ate the same amount.
Speaker 3: Of calories, right, And she didn't get any building blocks. She was basically tearing down the body.
Speaker 1: She looked great, but yeah, but she had she could do that.
Speaker 3: For the next ninety years. I don't know how long you probably said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it probably not, but just it's really meant to to, you know, illustrate your point that all calories are not so you don't count them. You do advocate intermittent fasting. I remember that, and we're staying on this. We got four more points to go through. But I think nutrition is probably where people get confused, and you know, have problems because when you eat bad and I know a lot because I love this stuff, you know, and I still I eat bad and then I have no energy and I'm depressed and I don't know why. And it's like, dude, you're living on French bread and you know, and cheese, and you don't know why you don't feel good. You have no nutritional value in whatever you just ate. But the great holistic doctor, doctor Paul Goss, was a big proponent of variety of foods. He said, if it was up to him, we would all try every plant in the world, because there may be some micronutrient that we need that we don't know about exactly.
Speaker 3: You want your plate to look like a rainbow, you know, so many different colors and options and vary and variety. You know, it really is about what you can be consistent with, because at the end of the day, it is consistency. I mean, it's it's great, you know if you feel like you can, you know, do this diet and restrict for you know, thirty to sixty days, but that's not going to sustain you for life. So you have to do what's really feasible, you know, what you can which you can do.
Speaker 1: I gets you, Paul, He says, He's going to put a big thing in French fries in front of me and I'll eat them. But I don't do it every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's okay you oh yes, oh yes, I love my cookies and my brownies and all those things. But you know it is an every now and then thing, right, So like on the weekend, a special occasion, you know, you're traveling things of that nature, but just not not every.
Speaker 1: Day, not every day. So we've got four more principles for longevity, nutrition being one of them, and we'll get to all four of those after news, traffic, and sports. When it comes to nutrition, though, we just have a minute here, What is the biggest mistake most folks make?
Speaker 3: I would say not getting a protein really yeah, I see that quite a bit, and especially with a lot of people being on gop one. So the weight loss medicines where we see a lot of muscle loss that occurs, and we're going to talk about that in the next segment.
Speaker 1: We lose muscle, and we lose muscle as we grow more chronologically gifted, as we get more seasons, As we get more.
Speaker 3: Season I mean essentially after thirty we start to decline in our muscle mass. If we're not proactive, we lose muscle at a rate of about four to eight percent per decade, and that compound if we're not proactive, and so protein I think is really important to minimize that and having a high protein diet if that's feasible for you your kidneys can handle, it is typically the way to go. And high protein diet means that essentially you are consuming aboutero point seven to one gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. Okay, So that breaks down to on average about thirty to forty grams of protein per meal per.
Speaker 2: Day for most adults.
Speaker 3: And that is also what I typically will counsel my patients with, is getting more protein, especially as we age into each decade, because that's where we start to see the muscle loss occur.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Doctor Noel Reid, MD is our guest, and we'll continue the conversation habits for longevity when we come forward on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty Welcome back. Indeed, doctor Noel Reid is an actual doctor, not one of the many people that walks around calling themselves a doctor but has no degree in sight. She's actually a practitioner of family medicine and MD. But in combination, I'll say, also just a student of well being, you know, holistic and yoga and pilates, which you teach and practice. Yes, So when doctor Noel read says she's got five tips for longevity, it's not just you know, buy the book. And I think it's really important for folks to tap in and tune in because we're so quick to oh if I just buy this pill, oh if I just take this prescription, And it's really a bigger picture than that, isn't it.
Speaker 3: There's no magic pillar potion for sure. At the end of the day, it always comes down to our behaviors. Our behaviors dictatur outcomes period and so we have to be consistent.
Speaker 1: So we said nutrition, Yes, number one, we spent some time on that. What's number two?
Speaker 2: So number two?
Speaker 3: So this is something that I think oftentimes gets neglected.
Speaker 2: Sleep. Oh boy, yes, let's talk.
Speaker 1: I gotta leave, I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this, dominique. Yes, because I know this has been an issue for you in the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much since I started doing morning radio. Yes.
Speaker 3: So sleep is so important, it is non negotiable. So you know, what the data is clear on is adequate sleep. If for adults who have consistent adequate sleep, that adds two to five years to your.
Speaker 1: Life, two to five years to your life.
Speaker 2: Yes, and many of us are not getting what we need.
Speaker 3: And so for for most adults, adequate sleep would be seven to nine hours seven seven nine hours nightly. If you're sleeping less than six hours, you're sleep deprived. If you're sleeping more than nine hours, you're sleeping too long. So seven to nine hours is the money spot. Why is sleep important? It is our time for restoration. You know, when we reset, re recalibrate, re release, it affects all of our organ systems, so our cardiovascular health. When we are sleep deprived, that increases our risk for heart disease and stroke, can cause blood pressure rise, can make it more challenging to control blood pressure. So oftentimes, as I'm managing blood pressure for my patients and we're having to add on more agents, I ask them, how are you sleeping?
Speaker 2: How much sleep do you get?
Speaker 3: What is the quality of sleep, because that could be impacting the blood pressure and thus us need to add on more agents to control the blood pressure, which is not the goal. It impacts our brain health. You know, when we rest, that is the time for the brain to essentially remove waste from the brain. Waste that can lead to inflammation. Inflammation that can lead to dementia and cognitive decline. So you know, as a means of preventing the onset of dementia or cognitive decline, you gotta get your rest.
Speaker 1: You know what I read I did read a study that said people over fifty who sleep less than six hours a night are thirty percent more likely to develop dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and that boy that got me. That got me because I just I've been talking too much smack for too long to not remember what I said. So I gotta, you know, just try to do better. Do naps help.
Speaker 2: Naps can be helpful.
Speaker 3: So it can help to work against your sleep debt because you do still to accumulate a sleep deck. But it's really good to have that prolonged period of time for rest. You know, within one session you can have the naps here and there, but not to take the place of a seven hour session. Right. Yeah, So you know, it's great that you're eating well and you're exercising and.
Speaker 2: Doing all those things.
Speaker 1: That's probably why I'm still alive.
Speaker 3: But if you're not sleeping, that kind of erases all of that great work that you've done throughout the course of the day and also can inhibit you getting to your goal. So this is something else that I discussed with like my weight loss patients, How are you resting? Because that can slow down weight loss when you are chronically sleep deprived. That impacts of course, you know, our quartosol release impacts on metabolism and can make it more challenging to lose weight maintain weight in addition to causing belly fat distribution. So fat in the belly, both subcutaneous and visceral fat. So the fat that's deep to the belly, right, So those the fat that apheares to tissues and organs. That increases our risk for heart disease and stroke. So the main point is you gotta get.
Speaker 1: Your risk before we go too Point three quickly, Paul wants to know your thoughts on peptides. That's the new trendy thing.
Speaker 3: I guess, yes, you know, I think that for those peptides that we have data on, I do agree with and I use in my practice. So gop ones are peptides. So the weight loss medicines that many are familiar with, semaglue tide, turns, eppetide, rhettary tide. These are peptides, right, And we have decades of data on this particular peptide. We don't on all, and so I do caution using peptides where there's not a whole lot of information in terms of how it impacts humans, because there are many that are out and available that maybe we have some small animal studies, but not really showing what the impact is on humans.
Speaker 2: But for for the g.
Speaker 3: Op ones, I would say yes, I do use them in my practice. I have a number of patients on gop ones and I find that they are tremendous in terms of UH weight management, blood sugar control, but also other things, those who perhaps have addictive behaviors, eating disorders or disordered eating, aiding with blood pressure control, and improving cholesterol panels. You know, it is thought that these medicines helped to decrease inflammation in the body, which has impacts on other disease conditions, and perhaps preventing the onset of heart disease, cardiovascular disease, which one of them already has the FDA you know approval for, but perhaps even preventing other conditions that also are related to inflammation. Is inflammation is a root cause of all disease, but perhaps UH slowing down cognitive decline in decreasing risk of dementia. So there's so many avenues and so many aspects and aids that perhaps these particular peptides can be helpful with all.
Speaker 1: Right, nutrition sleep number three number three resistance training is necessary.
Speaker 3: You need to have this within your exercise regime. And why we talked about this earlier. We lose muscle. Muscle is longevity. High muscle mass and grip strength are markers of longevity.
Speaker 1: Grip strength meaning how hard you can squeeze.
Speaker 3: Yes, And in terms of assessing someone's functional capacity or potential functional decline, muscle mass is a major contributor. And as I mentioned earlier, we lose muscle naturally, you know, starting early in life thirties, you know this can occur if you're on gop ones that can also speed up the process of muscle loss. So resistance training is really important to happening.
Speaker 1: Mostly weights, So are you talking about bands? You're talking about.
Speaker 3: So many different options. And here again I think is a misconception is that it has to be heavy. So it doesn't have to be heavy weight. But weights are helpful, right. Resistance spans doing resistance forms of exercise such as yoga and pilates, all of those things can be helpful to help us to hold on to our muscle. And I would recommend for adults to do at least two to three times a week of some type of resistance training. Muscle matters, right, so it aids us in our functional capacity, our ability to be able to move. It impacts our balance, right, so we need to keep our balance and propriate reception throughout the life span because a fall could take years off of your life. It aids in hormonal balance. So again, as we transition through perimenopause, menopause menopause as I like to call it, with men or andropause because they also go through a transition. The more muscle mass that you have and the training of the muscle helps to improve or rather allow for that transition to be a bit easier for you. It impacts our immune function, just so many things.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too because when I read is that if you fall and you have better muscle mass, you're more likely to bounce back, less likely to break something. And for a lot of seasoned Americans that fall can be the start of a cycle of hospitalization that can be part of a decline.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's the recovery. How can you recover? How can you bounce back? And so again, you need to be able to have that functional capacity to be able to move.
Speaker 2: You know, we need to be able to move.
Speaker 3: Throughout the entire lifespan, and that adding years to our life is that ability to move.
Speaker 1: I love the new study that came out that shows that people who have never lifted weights before that start at age ninety still build muscle masks, meaning the body retains its capacity to grow throughout the entire human life cycle.
Speaker 3: That to me is so exciting that must and magical are resilient and that's the beauty of it.
Speaker 2: And so here again like it's never too late.
Speaker 3: I literally so I don't know if you saw me post this, but I was in Chicago last week and.
Speaker 2: I was visiting my family.
Speaker 3: Oh I did see that, and I taught my mom and my dad pilates and it was like their first pilates class. They are eighty four and eighty six, and I got them on the floor. It was a little hard to get them on the floor and get them back, but they got down there and they they were doing it, and I was so excited because they were excited, you know, and they were moving and they felt better because and.
Speaker 1: How long have you been trying to get them to do that?
Speaker 2: For years?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Twenty plus?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're doing it, you know, and they are starting to. I mean, thankfully, they have been blessed genetically and they do They've always been kind of like active people, but you know, they are starting to see the decline and it's been challenging and having some like you know, muscle skeletal issues and you know, considering maybe surgeries and things of that nature. And I told them, hey, let's start with this plate. Let's do some movement first, you know, and see how we can allow for the body to heal itself, because we really do have the power to heal ourselves, you know, but it's just a matter of doing it right, of actually getting on the floor and doing the work.
Speaker 2: So I was excited about that.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping that I sparked something in them to continue to say that they started pilate's at eighty four and eighty six and I get them to one hundred years and beyond, because that's the goal.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. Congratulations on winning that long term battle. Doctor Noel Read, MD is my guest. We got two more of these principles for longevity to cover before we finished today's program, and we'll get to those straight ahead. Only right here, Doctor Noel Read, MD. She is a family medicine practitioner but also a yogi yes, a pull lot easy why I don't know what you call these people Pilate's person, Pilott's person, that Pilate's practitioner, and she's giving us five tips for longevity. We went through three, so we'll speed through these last two.
Speaker 2: What is number four? Number four? Hydration?
Speaker 3: Hydration, water water water. I cannot stress this enough. We need water for so many things, right, and again, I think most people are not getting enough water.
Speaker 1: Really, are you a subscriber to the eight glasses a day or half your body weight announces?
Speaker 3: I do think that for most adults, two to three leaders a day should be the goal, maybe more depending upon your level activity. If you're doing a hard workout, if it's really hot outside, you're you're losing more fluids. But two to three leaders a day should be goal. You should start an injured day with water, so preparing the gut for digestion and prepping for rest at night. You want to start an injured day with water, so that should be the first thing that your gut sees in the morning, last thing at night. It's needed for so many things, right, It's necessary for proper metabolism, for elimination, for cognition. You know many people who have issues with like brain fog or headaches, things of that nature. It could be that you're dehydrated, you need to drink water. It also helps with weight maintenance and management. Right, So when we're drinking water, first of all, that cuts back on a lot of our calories because I think we don't think about the liquid diet, right, what we're consuming liquid rise and that adding more calories into our intake. But also when we're drinking water, you're gonna more likely than not feel fuller, longer, not have those hunger cravings because oftentimes too when we are feeling hungry, it may not mean that we need to eat, but we need to drink because hunger can be a sign of dehydration. So hydration is the fourth tip I would say for long.
Speaker 1: Term Okay, so nutrition, sleep, resistance, training, hydration, and the fifth.
Speaker 3: One, the fifth one. A lot of people are probably gonna boohoo this one. Limit your alcohol.
Speaker 1: Limit your alcohol important enough to be on the five top tips for longevity. And it seems like we're getting more and more science. They used to say a little wine's good for you. Now they're saying no.
Speaker 3: Essentially, So with the data shows currently there is really no health benefit from any any amount of alcohol light or moderate. We're not getting that cardiovascular a that people once said or improving our lipid profiles. Essentially, what is consistent is that alcohol is directly correlated to increase mortality risk as well as risk for certain cancers, including breast and colorectal cancer.
Speaker 1: I love the way doctors say it, you know, increase more. In other words, you more likely to die on any given day, you more likely to die.
Speaker 3: It just is not helpful. It is entertainment. It is not nutrition, not giving you any real health benefit. It's not going to add years to your life at the end of the day. And I mentioned this earlier. Inflammation is the rude cause of all disease, right, and so what we have to do as a goal is to limit inflammation, and that means limiting, limiting putting things in our body that are pro inflammatory, and alcohol is at as well as other things like processed foods, refined sugars. You know, you want to limit those types of foods in the diet because it increases inflammation in the body and then hence disease intwos. Now, the other thing that alcohol inhibits is fat burn, and this is something that I have learned on my own personal journey, so I track my metabolism. Okay, so I have all the gadgets right, and I use a metabolism tracker called the Lumen. It tells me if I'm in fat burn or cardburn. And really the goal is to be in fat burn in the morning as you start your day, after you've gone through that fast you've had that rest period. And I noticed every time that I drink alcohol, no matter the out the type, low carb, low sugar, I could not get into fat burn.
Speaker 2: And that was consistent.
Speaker 3: And so this was, you know, data showing me how my metabolism was responding to alcohol. And we know this, you know, studies showed that alcohol of any amount does limit your ability for the body to get into that fat burning state. And so that was enough for me to say, you know, I have to do away with it.
Speaker 1: I'm most saying.
Speaker 3: I'm never gonna drink, but I will indulge here in there. But I'm about one hundred days in.
Speaker 2: With no alcohol.
Speaker 3: I've stopped completely, and what We're going to see how long this goes. But you know, it was just like listen, I'm doing all this work, doing yoga and pilates. I do not want to self sabotage you know, the work that I've put in, and so that's when I made the own my own personal goal is to kind of just really eliminate it. But honestly, guys, you know, in terms of our overall health and longevity, it is just merely entertainment.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to me because it's it seems like the whole medical world has done a U turn on alcohol. We used to have fifty different excuses. Well, a glass of one is good for your stress, and yeah, it's antihistamine or whatever. They were saying something something, it's good for you, and now it's like, no, it's bad. It shortens your lifespan, it's not good for yourselves. It's bad for your digestion, it's bad for fat bringing. It's like, we got to get our minds around this people. It's why the same thing I say about fast food, it's not food, it's entertainment. If you want to go have fast food, do it, but then you need a meal afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And so alcohol it is just it's merely entertainment.
Speaker 1: Entertainment only. There's no excuse other than just I want.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, so I really think that, you know, limiting its best. And as we talked before, having those cheat days, it's okay, have your glass of champagne here and there, you're you're in a celibratory mood. It's a special day, but you know not to buy it half in the home, you know where you're likely going to grab for it, not to have on a regular basis. Getting away from that, you know, moderate consumption, being that one to two glasses a day is not helpful.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna aid you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we used to say, one to two a day. Now I see that the in medical form say like if you drink more than once a month, that means you're not a moderate drinker when they're moving the bar people. So well, thank you so much for this conversation. It's inspiring. I study this stuff and I still get inspired. Five tips nutrition, sleep, resistance, training, hydration, and limited alcohol. Sound a little like late great Dick Gregory. We used to say the leading cause of death in this country is lack of sleep, dehydration, and lack of exercise. Yeah, so he was onto something. Tell us how to track you you're on socials and yeah.
Speaker 3: So on social media. You can just follow me on Instagram or TikTok. It's my name, Noel Reid, MD. Also on YouTube again, my name Noel read. My practice is Trinity Health and Wellness Medical Group. The website is Trinitymdgroup dot com and that's medg RP dot com.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Trinitymedgroup dot com. And whether you're looking for a physician or a pilate's teacher or also, like you said, you do the GLP one stuff, you do some of the anti aging stuff as well, some of the various machines and devices and injections and guest, yeah, we got a few tang things. Doctor Noel Reid is a great source. We just have about thirty seconds here, Doctor Reid, what do you want to leave us with that?
Speaker 3: Longevity is about consistency, not perfection, you know, so just understand that it's about moving forward and choosing the things that you can do for today and not worrying about what you can't. And if you can just be consistent, that's it matters.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming in being consistent. You've been incredibly consistent. I've been, you know, watching you and interviewing you for over ten years. She does an age. She always looks amazing and she's always doing the work. Doctor Noah read, thanks so much, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Now, must day.
Speaker 1: Namas stay, which actually means peace right. Yes, no, must stay. Indeed, don't forget to tap in with me on social media. I'm at DAPRIMA radio, d ip r I m A and then radio. I know you guys like to call me all kinds of other things, but it's us fine. As long as you're at fifteen eighty KBLA. That's the most important thing. Tavis Smiley's up next. He's got a great show, per usual, so you don't want to miss that. My mama, the late Great Diane da Prima, was a poet. She was Poet Lauriate of San Francisco. I love to end my show with a quote, and lately I've been using the one from her poem Rant. She said, as the ultimate famine is the starvation of the imagination. Until next time, I beloved, k b L A delegation one Love