Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodgers Talking fight Back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers come back and beat the Padres in Game two of this three game series four to three, the final score at Dodgers Stadium. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight, and I would expect the mood to be a lot different than it was twenty four hours ago with the way things ended last night, a game ending triple play. This is a huge win for the Dodgers to come back and lower their magic number to two. With a win tomorrow, the Dodgers are the NLS champions and can align their roster, their pitching staff in the final three games at Corsfield and have those very vital five days off to get ready for Game one of the NLDS. I know yesterday a very disappointing, frustrating way to lose a game, but the reality is the Dodgers hold off the Padres tonight and still have the best record in the National League and the best record in Major League Baseball. So as of tonight, the Dodgers are the number one overall seed in the postseason. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, great players step up and carry teams to the finish line. You're witnessing one of the great seasons in Dodger history and one of the great seasons in Major League Baseball history by any player in sho he Otani. Don't let anybody try to discount what he's doing just because he's a DH The two RBIs he drove in tonight without a home run were two huge RBIs, giving the Dodgers leads in two separate innings, in the fourth inning and then in the sixth inning, both with two outs. In fact, tonight, the Dodgers only had one hit that was with less than two outs.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 2: They scored all four of their runs with two outs tonight. And I know Otani deserves a lot of the credit, but give Tommy Edmund a lot of credit as well. We haven't talked about it a lot, but Tommy Edmund, being a switch hitter, is not as good from the left side as he is from the right side, He's only hitting two to two from the left side. When he came to the plate in the fourth inning with two outs, the Dodgers were down two to one. Dylan Cees was getting into a groove. The Padres had the momentum, the Dodgers were chasing a run, and Tommy Edmond sparked that two run come from behind inning in the fourth inning. That may prove to be the most pivotal hit the final week of this season. The way he was able to find a way to stay within himself, get a good swing and be able to drive the ball into the gap from the left side, his weaker side, and allow that inning to start. That was a true spark. But Shoe a Otani not only love seeing him come up in those clutch situations, love seeing him show the emotion and screaming into his own dugout to fire up his team. This guy is the ultimate competitor, make no mistake about it. Today was one of those nights where he saw what happened yesterday, He could feel the momentum of the season starting to shift the other way, and he put the Dodgs on his back tonight. And for those that say Otani cannot deliver with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 3: I got news for you.
Speaker 2: He's twelve for his last twenty with runners in scoring position. Here was show a Tani moments ago on sports at l A.
Speaker 4: If you've been energized by being in the playoff phrase and the importance.
Speaker 5: Of these games, if you even get inquiet tweet mussin, I'll find this.
Speaker 6: H you're a close.
Speaker 7: I do agree the fans and even within the team. I do feel like there's some sense of elevation when it comes to playing these meaningful games.
Speaker 8: Hey, you started talking about but with the October's curious to see obviously fou who's been trying to do too much versus later and gave to work out to your host spots like how are you sure of controlling your hosts like that?
Speaker 6: And these kind of bats and the pass where the score profession But that's a key thinking that you at the oh my night, do you know what you don't kick that came out of the moon. More so, but don't you know don't what you did in this guy? More as you can know when you Sho signed up the.
Speaker 7: Bus really focused on you know, quality at bats and just being able to do that every single at bat.
Speaker 6: Hey, we ever built this coda to play before?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 7: Also know that's like you know, Conca must be contact them, so we eat on the concat cook guy.
Speaker 6: Con cuck a Tum's come.
Speaker 7: I have felt good like this before, but I do think it's the foundation has been built on just becoming a better player over the years with more experience and just being able to play better.
Speaker 2: All right, there's show he Otani with interpreter Will Ireton. Not only did Otani drive in two go ahead runs tonight, but he also stole his fifty sixth base of the season. That's important to him because he just tied Ichiro Suzuki for the most stolen bases in a season by a Japanese born player in the Major League. So you know he wants to have one more to say that he has one more over Ichiro Suzuki. Dodgers beat the Padres tonight four to three. Their magic number is two. Very simple. A Dodger win tomorrow night. They are crowned the NL West Champions. Let's go out to the phones. We have a full board of calls. Let's go out to Marco who is at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Tonight. Hi, Marco, you came to a good game.
Speaker 9: I did comba otho, Sony. This is Marco calling you from the freeway heading home, trying to say thank you very much to Dave say my brother from the west side of the San Fernando Valley, thank you for everything you do. I just want to say I'm looking.
Speaker 10: Forward to what comes up in the postseason and I'm curious to hear what you got to say regarding pitching in the postseason.
Speaker 3: My brother, Marco, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love that you've lost your voice screaming for the Dodgers tonight. Look, there are not many teams that have what the Dodgers had in twenty thirteen with Kershaw, Granky you. Even with those three, they did not win the World Series. They came close. And I'm reminded about that because I saw our good friend aj Ellis tonight, who's part of the Padres front office. But the Dodgers can put it together with Yamamoto and Jack Flaherty. Just hopefully Jack can get back on track and have some consistency with his fastball velocity. And let's see what Walker Buehler provides tomorrow. I would not want any other picture on the mound in a clinching situation than Walker Buehler. I feel like the baseball gods will reward him for the work that he's put in, the blood, sweat and tears to try to figure it out and come back from a second Tommy John surgery.
Speaker 10: Bob, I light a candle tonight for Sancudo, which is a patron sake of goodness.
Speaker 9: And I appreciate everything you do and all the Dodger people do.
Speaker 3: All right, man, all right, Marco, thank you for the love. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. I also thought it was big that the Dodgers had Tommy Edmon uh number one on this roster, making that trade at the deadline three way trade Cardinals, White Sox Dodgers.
Speaker 3: That brought in Michael Kopek, who has.
Speaker 2: Been outstanding for the Dodgers, UH, and also Tommy Edman, who has been so invaluable in so many different ways, and tonight he came up big, sparking that two out fourth inning rally.
Speaker 3: And then unfortunately, when Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 2: Being forced to leave the game with a left groin injury, the Dodgers had the luxury of moving in a player like Tommy Edman from center field to shortstop. He made a great tag on Xander Bogarts in the fifth inning when Bogarts was trying to steal. It was an offline throw by Will Smith, but at Tommy Edmond was able to tag him out. That was in the sixth inning, and that was the third and final out. Huge play, great defensive play by Tommy Edmund. And I also feel like another big inning, Blake Trining coming in to face the heart of the Padres order the three most dangerous hitters in Fernando Tattoos, Junior Jerks and pro far and many Machado. He retired them in order. Here was Blake tryning moments ago on sports at LA.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we, uh we obviously look at the Padres as one of the best teams in baseball. They're phenomenally talented. There's been a core group of guys there that have you know, been through the ups and downs of like you know, how good they can be and how good they are, and so for us, it's it's got next to cute. They've seen us a lot, we've seen them a lot, and I think it's just trying to find ways to get ahead of guys and put them away and give ourselves a chance to roll over to the next end and get our offense back out there.
Speaker 11: You against the teeth of the lineup for them, What was the focus on? How are you able to navigate through them to not only be efficient, but to get them out.
Speaker 4: You know, there's there's some there's some prep going into it, but at the end of the day, it's just trust what you have and Will does a great job of you know, seeing these guys all day, and Manny's a great hitter, pro far as a great hitter. Tetsi's obviously he's really hot right now and a good hitter as well. So just trying to douce weak contact. And you know, if I get a chance for a swing and miss to finish it and at bat, then you know, I try to take it. But four times than not, those guys are good back to the ball guys, So we're trying to get just weak contact and then move on to the next one.
Speaker 11: You can see the emotions not only from yourself, but from a lot of the guys honestly throughout this entire team. Just what did it mean? To you personally, though, to be back in situation this is essentially a playoff game. There's a division on the line, but just being back in a position in which not only are you performing at the highest level, but you're putting your team in a position to win.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, it's what makes this game fun. You know, It's like the it's the beauty of it and the pain. The pain of the game is is the tense moments and the success and the failure. And you know, you saw them with a just probably one of the most bizarre endings of it that I've witnessed other than maybe Game four in the World Series against Tampa Bay. And so yeah, like that's that doesn't set well. I hate losing, and you know they're being a division rival. It's not fun phenomenal players over there, But like I take it personal. I know, guys here obviously we had a sour taste in our mouth. So to come back today and win this game is great. So, yeah, division is super important. The World Series obviously the quill you know, being the last team with a W next to your name, but taking care of business and winning a division is is very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a world champion attitude right there.
Speaker 2: Blake Trying, part of the twenty twenty Dodgers, obviously, has seen a lot of things playing for the Dodgers, including winning the World Series. I love how he said he took it personal with the Dodgers losing last night, and in that eighth inning where he retired Tatisse Profar Machado in order, he was very different. He was throwing pitches to those guys they have not seen trying and throw.
Speaker 3: He was throwing the sweeper.
Speaker 2: He threw three consecutive sweepers to Manny Machado to strike him out on three pitches. So a big night for Blake, Trining and maybe the biggest spot reliever had tonight for the Dodgers to help them win four to three. Just one went away tomorrow night against the Padres to clinch the NLS Championship. Let's go out to Baldwin Park. George, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, George, I'm very well.
Speaker 12: I'm on a radio right now. It's just an I'm just a casual listener, just like everybody else. Recently, I've been listening to Dodgers, but only because I'm able to watch the Dodgers on TV. I mean, black restrictions and whatever. So I just have reluctantly had to listen to the Dodgers radio, and I have to go use an MLB app because sometimes I have trouble following the game until I hear the scores and stripe.
Speaker 2: You heard a great game tonight, George. It was an exciting game. What did you think about it?
Speaker 12: Well, I gotta give credit to the defense team more more but after the four the fourth.
Speaker 3: Run, yeah, yeah, the defense was really good. The pitching was really good.
Speaker 2: Jack Flaherty maybe not his best game, but certainly the Dodgers were able to deploy their relievers and hang in there and get big hits from show. Heo, Tani, we appreciate you listening tonight. Let's go out to Michael and La Puente. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 3: Michael, Hey, David, how are you?
Speaker 13: I just want to, you know, call in on a victory, because I'm usually calling in when we're losing, so it's nice to to talk to you when we get a w but just to echo you know some of what you're talking about, you know, the energy out there from shohay Uh being a leader on this team, and and and you know, setting the example and and like you said, you know, putting the Dodgers on his back, and and and having a little bit of changing personality.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 13: I know, a couple of months ago we talked about the the personalities on the team and how sometimes you know, there were a little bit too much of the nice guys, you know. So to kind of see that, see that changing the meaner even from uh trying and and and to see that emotion was was really good, you know, because its a big game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why can it be from Otani?
Speaker 2: I feel like we name off every other play on this roster, but we failed to acknowledge the fact that Otani this season, especially in the last month, has showed more emotion with the Dodgers in the last two or three months than he has shown in his six years in Major League baseball. He is thriving in this competitive environment, and uh, it feels like people are not acknowledging that he's playing for a winner and he's trying to get them over the finish line. And tonight was a great example of him showing the fire, showing the emotion that all of you call in begging.
Speaker 13: For Yeah, absolutely, David, it was. It was awesome to see. I mean you you see the change like you know, you saw him in the World Baseball Classic and the kind of energy that that he had uh playing those games, and to see that carry over to Dodger Baseball is nice to see. Question for you though, if I may, you know, Uh, Mookie Beck, you know, didn't perform too well tonight. Uh didn't perform too well last night. I know, it's it's been, you know, a big series. It's a series we have to win. I was kind of having some PTSD from the playoffs and the and the performance at the plate from last year. So what do you think he has to do to get it going.
Speaker 3: He's got to play better.
Speaker 2: I don't know where his head's at the first two games of this series. Obviously he's trying his best, but we just haven't seen the Mookie bets that we're used to seeing in the first two games of this series. Maybe he has psyched himself out because since the beginning of spring training he has talked about redemption, uh for the last two years of postseason failures personally and team wise. So I think Mookie Bets just needs to relax, be himself and be the guy that he's been all season long, and not try to be anybody else. Just be yourself, Mookie, and he'll be okay.
Speaker 13: Awesome If I can one last question, you are.
Speaker 3: We got a Michael.
Speaker 2: It's like you're the guy in line waiting and we're waiting and we think you're about to check out, but you look for a piece of gum at the checkout line and we're all waiting again.
Speaker 10: It's okay to share.
Speaker 13: It will be so everyone can have some. Freddy Freeman, Uh, you know his his his demeanor has been a little different lately. I know he has that finger injury, but just the way that he's been carrying himself differently, you know, seem to kind of change of personality.
Speaker 7: I know, I know.
Speaker 13: Best.
Speaker 1: What do you mean.
Speaker 9: Hit down?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 13: No, I just think I just think that the official expressions, the kind of way that he's carrying himselves is just different. But I know that he got those two opposite field hits today. He's always best.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know what puts Freddy in a better mood.
Speaker 2: You know what puts Freddy in a better mood, Michael getting hits the more hits he gets, the better body language you'll see from Freddie Freeman. Thanks for the phone call, appreciated. Gotta move on. Let's go out to Daniel who is at Dodger Stadium. Good call, by the way, Michael Daniel, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing.
Speaker 14: I'm doing great?
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 14: It was great game, great energy and uh just it was electric when the whole stadium. You know, we all stood up when Otani was up. We kind of knew something magical was going to happen and he was gonna, you know, get us, get us going because we felt like, uh, hey, that ball he hit.
Speaker 2: In the fourth inning, I have never seen a player hit a ball that hard on a rope off the fence in uh in right field, off the bullpeny gate, I have never seen that.
Speaker 15: Day.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was amazing and it was just out of the atmosphere everything was. It was a much needed game, especially going into the postseason.
Speaker 2: We need that energy to pass forget about the postseason. They needed that win to win the NL West coming off a game ending triple play. If they lose tonight, Uh, the Padres are very much in control of this division. By the Dodgers winning tonight. They are very much in control. So forget about the postseason. It was about winning the regular season.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I know you're right. And it was awesome, man, it was. It was just fun to be there, Kershaw Bobblehead night, you know what I mean. It was just all around.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sellout at Dodgers Stadium this season fifty two thousand, three hundred and ten made it feel like a playoff game, and it really was playoff like atmosphere tonight and last night. And the Dodgers desperately needed this win. You could feel it in that dugout. They needed this win, and you could feel it before the game. They seemed to rise to the occasion more players than others to play with the urgency they needed to beat the Padres tonight, and they got it four to three thanks to a lot of different players. Tommy Edmund, Gavin lux Show, Hey Otani, Michael Kopek, Blake Trinon. They all did a big job. Those would be my five five stars of tonight's game. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy and we're also check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers lower their magic number to two with only five games to go four to three, the final score over the Padres on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassaying two.
Speaker 3: On two out, two balls, two strikes.
Speaker 1: The pitch from Money home, Otani rips it on the.
Speaker 3: Ground in the right center field, Smith.
Speaker 1: Hustling around third.
Speaker 2: We'll score without a play another go ahead RBR First Show, Hey Old Tani Show Hey Otani carrying the Dodgers to a four to three win over the Padres. Tonight David Bassey Live at Dodgers Stadium with you until eleven thirty Tonight show Hey Otani two for three with two RBIs RBI singles in the fourth inning and sixth inning to give the Dodgers the lead two separate times. And for the Dodgers Show, Heo Tani continues to make history. Not only did he drive in two runs tonight, but he also stole his fifty sixth base of the season. It tied in with Ichiro Suzuki for the most stolen bases by Japanese born player in a single season. I've been told getting fifty seven stolen bases would mean a lot to Otani.
Speaker 3: To have one more than one of his idols, maybe his main idol.
Speaker 2: Ichiro Suzuki, that would be special. And not only is he stealing bases, but he's not getting caught. Otani now has stolen thirty three consecutive bases without getting caught. It's the second longest streak in Dodger history, behind only Davey Lopes, who stole thirty eight straight bases from June sixth to August twenty fourth in nineteen seventy five. Also, Otani is getting closer to a record that or an accomplishment that hasn't been reached since two thousand and one, when guys named Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Todd Hilton, and Luisa Gonzalez all had four hundred or more total bases. Otani is at three hundred and ninety six. He most certainly will get there, with four games to go and three of them being at Corsefield. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota a much different mood here at Dodgers Stadium twenty four hours later. This was a huge win for the Dodgers. And I guess let's just start with Otani. You've seen him ever since he broke into the big leagues. It really feels like he may be the hungriest Dodger player, which sounds ridiculous considering how great he is, how much money he makes. But this guy is hungry for a championship.
Speaker 16: Well, they You've been right about it the whole time. The fans have been right about it the whole time, and obviously I've been sharing this subject in them when he signed with the Dodgers. This is going to elevator's game because he never experienced it before. But I want to go back to our series, our conversation at Atlanta when he had gone over six for eight and you and I were talking your clubhouse in the booth about where's the other club? You know he needs to bring the other club. Well, it's shown up, and it showed up in a mighty way. And that is the one where he starts seeing the ball the other way with authority. He starts singing the ball.
Speaker 14: Up the middle.
Speaker 16: But Dave, in the overall picture, what we're seeing right now is pretty much the best player in the planet showing up for the best team in baseball at the right time, and with all the bat stars that he had. Men in scoring position. You don't drive one hundred and twenty five runs because you're lucky, okay, because you know how to drive in runs. But to be twelve for twenty and in the last twenty at batsmen's corn position when it counts the most, in his playoff environment where the team needs you, that says a lot more than we can think of show.
Speaker 2: Hey, Otani certainly showed a lot of emotion tonight as well, but I really believe the key at bat and the key hit was by Tommy Edmond, who sparked that fourth inning rally I really firmly believe that Tommy Edmund may have saved the NL West Championship.
Speaker 16: With that double professional player, professional hitter, just a great sense for what the team needs and throughout the game I had talked to you and said, where are the level swings at? And it doesn't need to come from Freddy Fruitman. He didn't have it. Mukie Vinz didn't have it. You know that uppercut swing is it just tells me you're trying too hard. Well, who brought it? Tommy Edmund, followed by Gavin Lux And those are guys that play such key roles in starting rallies and keeping the ball moving forward and allowing guys behind them to be better hitters. So Tommy Edmond, I mean, what can we say? And we know why the Dodgers raft him for so many months now because what he's brought to the team is another dimension which you need with the versatility, the smarts, the speed, and the ability now to not allow any moment to get too big.
Speaker 2: He's been big and he made a great tag on Xander Bogart's to end the sixth inning on a throw that was wide, it was low, Edmund was able to die, make the catch and tag Bogarts simultaneously.
Speaker 16: Yeah, in that play, let me explain a real quick You have to have a sense on every catcher that you receive from what the tendencies are in his throats. And sometimes when the guy's tired and he throws the sinker ball at your two seamer, the ball is going to be dying out. You cannot wait for that ball behind the bag or behind the runner, because it's going to hit the runner. It's going to end up in center field. If he does a smart thing, I need to cut off the distance and then tag the guys he's coming by, But you cannot allow that ball to hit the dirt or to get a little bit deeper on me. Smartly, he allows himself to cut the distance able to allow, you know, and put that tag on. So that's just another great move for a guy that understands the game quite well.
Speaker 3: Jose Mota is joining us.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers defeat the Padres four to three in Game two of this three game series. The Dodgers lower their magic number to two to win the NLS Championship. All right, let's talk about the two guys that are looking for redemption. This postseason. Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman, no secret about it, already has struggled in the month of September. Mookie Betts has not looked like himself the first two games of this series. We had a caller call in and say that he has noticed a different body language from Freddy Freeman. What do you see from those two guys in these first two games.
Speaker 16: I mean, Mooki swinging today was not the swing that we were accustomed to, where there was not that extra little spark there at the end. And I repeat myself, but there's too much upper cutting and weak contact. When he hit the ball in the air constantly and consistently, and the ball's not caring and it's just kind of lunging of the ball. You're not taking the right pass to the baseball, and you're not swinging at the right pitches.
Speaker 9: I don't worry too.
Speaker 16: Much about these guys. I do know that they mean a whole lot in games like today, really picked them up because it's not just on them to go out there and get it done. As Mooki has told me so many times, Look how many times Choy has picked me up. As Freddie has told you so many times. Look how many times to Oscar has picked me up. So and Freddy same thing. Freddy was able to at least we're the ball seventh inning, goal the other way and go the other way two in a third inning. But I know that there's more from them. I am just glad that they're playing for a team that has a deep lineup right now, playing on you know, high intensity games, because we need to keep the eyes on one through nine plus the bench, not just on a couple of guys. But we know for sure those guys will come through. I'm quite confident, all right.
Speaker 2: Jose, thanks for checking in tonight. We'll see you tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium with the Dodgers on the verge of clinching another nl WES championship.
Speaker 16: You got it, my friend. Good night.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. After the Dodgers beat the Padres tonight by a final score of four to three, it was Alex Vessia with the win. In relief Michael Kopek with his fifteenth save of the season, Copek letting out a primal scream like we saw in Atlanta. When he came up with a big strikeout. So great to see the emotion from players like Kopek from Otani, and hopefully it becomes more contagious as the Dodgers make their run through October. Just to give you a sense of the postseason picture, the Dodgers right now with the best record in baseball. After tonight's win, they're ninety four and sixty four. They have the number one overall seed in the entire postseason, meaning if they even went to the World Series and matched up against the Yankees, who are currently the number one seed, the Dodgers would have home field advantage. Long ways to go from here to then, but in the more immediate future, the Dodgers are in a great position to secure the number one overall seed. And if the postseason started tomorrow or right now tonight, the Dodgers would be playing the winner of a wildcard series between the four seed San Diego Padres and the five seed New York met In case you missed the news, there's a big storm, I believe hurricane level tropical storm that's going through the East Coast. So this weekend series between the Braves and Mets has been postponed. Until Monday in a double header, meaning those doubleheader. That double header is going to be played between the Braves and Mets, and it's going to decide more than likely who is the last wildcard team in the National League, and from there, whoever is the last wildcard team, more than likely the Mets, They are going to have to fly cross country to the West Coast to play more than likely the San Diego Padres. That puts either one of those teams at a huge disadvantage. Even if they pull off a big upset and win that wildcard series, how thin and how jumbled up is the rotation going to be going into a best of five series. So I know we always just look internally on what's going on with the Dodgers pitching. But if you're one of those two teams Braves Mets, and you're in the playoffs, you're at a huge disadvantage because of Mother Nature and having to play a double aheader on Monday. Eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Monica. Evan, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassi.
Speaker 17: Hi Evan, Hey, David, what a win tonight?
Speaker 18: I must win for Dodger fans everywhere, and just beating the Padres after they celebrated that was huge. But what I wanted to talk to you about was Will Smith because when he threw out boguards and then comes up the next inning and draws a walk, that is what gets the team going. That is that belief that we can follow your lead. While you are a captain, you are a manager. And I just don't think he gets enough credit for these little tiny things. He ends up going around to score that clutch run for us without that walk, who knows how that inning starts off with. So I just have to say thank you to Will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was his best at bat of the game.
Speaker 2: And Will is starting to show signs to come out of a three month slump here. Coming into the game tonight, he was hitting two seventy eight in the month of September. So hopefully he continues to grind it out and have quality at bats, because, let's face it, Evan, now, the expectations are on Will Smith. The Dodgers handed him a nine year extension, and it wasn't for strictly his defense.
Speaker 3: It's for his offense.
Speaker 2: And he just hasn't been able to really get on tracks since May, so they need him.
Speaker 14: You're right, and thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Evan, I didn't think he had one more. Let's go out to Placentia. Tim, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 14: Tim doing great? Dave, Thanks for the call, Thanks for taking my call. Welcome one.
Speaker 19: The bullpens.
Speaker 9: Lights out the last couple of nights.
Speaker 7: Said they've been really going back to the last three weeks, especially given some of the situations.
Speaker 9: They've been put in.
Speaker 19: I mean, and then when you play that training clips and I I mean, those are like you you.
Speaker 9: Always have about the Dodgers having to have an edge and maybe having some dogs.
Speaker 19: Those are like real dogs out there right now.
Speaker 2: I love that trying and said he took it personal with the way the Dodgers lost last night and the way they and who they lost to. I love hearing that, and I love seeing the emotion from Otani. That's what the Dodgers need. They need some of that, and they need they need to have some dog in them if they're going to compete with the Padres or some of these more desperate teams out there. The Phillies very talented they show a lot of emotion, they leave it all out on the field, and the Dodgers have got to have more of that from their their pivotal players for sure. Thanks for the phone call, Tim, appreciate it. Love seeing that from Otani. I mean, not only is he one of the top two players in baseball, but he really showed a lot going up the first base line. Once he got the first base and second base tonight, he was screaming into the dugout to rally his team. You gotta love that. And he's not just doing the raw ross stuff. He's doing it in the moment organically after he drives in go ahead runs. Let's go out to Maury, who is here at Dodger Stadium for the show. What's up, Maury, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 17: Hey, how you doing. Man, Good to be able to be on and be able to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Hey, great to talk to you morey.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it was a great game tonight. It was good to see all the guys come together. Sure, it was a little a bit of a nail bier towards the end there, but I mean, hey, Otani came through and he's been just awesome lately. Man, like just seeing him come alive like.
Speaker 13: This, especially so close to the postseason.
Speaker 17: It's an amazing thing to see. And it's good to see a lot of the guys continue with a lot of continuity and to have a lot of life, a lot of good connection towards the launcher for the postseason, no doubt.
Speaker 3: It's good to see.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone call, Maury. Wow, these phone calls are a lot different than twenty four hours ago. It seemed like everybody thought the Dodgers were done dead in the water, going home with.
Speaker 3: Their tails between their legs.
Speaker 2: These guys have a little bit more professional pride than what you seem to give credit for. These guys obviously want to win. They go about it a little bit differently than the Padres do. The Padres are the hottest team, the team that's playing the best right now in all a Major League Baseball and have been since the All Star break. They're healthy now, they're starting. Pitching is in a good place. They acquired Tanner Scott, who helped shorten their bullpen or and made it much deeper to shortened games, i should say. And they got Fernando Tatis junior back who hit a mammoth home run. I mean, Fernando Tattists Junior is one of those visiting players that feels really at home.
Speaker 3: At Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: In the fifth inning tonight, he hit a game tying home run that went four hundred and forty eight feet in that standing room only cut out there in the left field pavilion. If you remember a few years back, Fernando Tattis Junior holds the distinction of only a handful of players to hit a home run out of Dodger Stadium, off of Tony Gonsolin eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. Dodgers beat the Padres four to three, and it feels like everybody here at Dodgers Stadium tonight is a little relieved that.
Speaker 3: They got this win.
Speaker 2: It takes a lot of pressure off the Dodgers to win tomorrow night. Even if they don't win, they've done their job. They've won two out of three. Going up against the Rockies, the Dodgers should be able to win at least two games there and not even have to worry about getting help from the die. Let's go out to Culver City, Kevin, you're on Dodger Talk, Hi Kevin.
Speaker 19: God is good. David w to win.
Speaker 9: You're the man.
Speaker 19: You know you never wavered. I never wavered. And this is why it was so important to get this man show Hind Showtime Otani. In the off season.
Speaker 15: It wasn't about just getting the superstar, the number one free agent player.
Speaker 19: It was a guy who's gonna change our culture. Two seasons, playoffs, postseasons. You're talking about the guys look lethargic. They don't look they were show any emotion. What you saw tonight was the player. He said, I'm the best player on this team. I'm the face of baseball and I care about it, and I'm showing emotion, and I'm part of this rivalry. And we don't like the Padres Dey shirt, and now we're gonna give it back to him. I love what I saw the show.
Speaker 9: He led us.
Speaker 19: This is why he's the MVP, not the National League of Baseball.
Speaker 15: That game in Miami was the best game I've ever seen that Major League Baseball player play.
Speaker 19: And this is a true leader. This is a key of LA.
Speaker 15: This is what Shaquille O'Neal does, Kobe Bryant, this is why Magic Johnson's magic. What I saw was why soho? Hey Otani is the new king of LA. He's leading this city. He's the number one star in this city because of.
Speaker 19: What you saw tonight. He wills this team to play.
Speaker 15: He's the most exciting not baseball player, sports player in this town in sports right now, and I'm so happy loving it watching it for the Dodgers. And he's gonna get ready to lead us to a World Series championship. David, get these stands up, Let's go, and let's turn out. I went to the game of my mom a couple weeks ago. Watch this guy play. I've never seen a guy hit the baseball like that. It's a true, true pleasure. Washington play, Go Dodgers and go show Hey Otani the MBP.
Speaker 19: Let's go. Let's do this. David, turn up, lovely.
Speaker 3: Kevin, thank you for the phone call. A great way to end the show.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, the Dodgers will have Walker Bueller on the mound looking to hand the Dodgers the NL West crown. He has won and six this year with an five sixty three. The numbers don't tell the story. His last start, he started to look more like Walker Buehler, and who could draw up a better script than to have Bueller on the mound the night the Dodgers have the opportunity to clinch the NLS Championship. He's going up against Joe Musgrove, who the Dodgers handled earlier this season. Overall this year, Musgrove is six and five, with an el at three to ninety five Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday and Tim or Steven Nelson.
Speaker 3: I should say.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbanks Studios, thanks to Dwayne MacDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. You can follow me on Instagram at officially vassa and on x at the Real Underscore DV.
Speaker 3: Once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers defeat the Padres four to three, and if they win tomorrow night, they are You're twenty twenty four NL West champions Coming up next, it's Fox Sports Radio Ben Mallor going until three or four in the morning, however, long as he goes, so stay tuned for that. We'll talk to you tomorrow night with an NL West Championship on the verge of being clinched.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night, see U.