Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome back for another deep dive. Today. We're going to be looking at setup and manage your Virtual Private server by John Westfall. Sounds good, and we're going to be talking all about vps's. Yeah, you know what they are, why you might want one, and maybe how to pick the right one for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a great topic.
Speaker 1: And it's not just about the tech though, right, it's about understanding the power and the responsibility, right that comes with having your own little corner of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's a really interesting topic because it's a It kind of bridges the gap between you know, basic web hosting that everybody you know kind of starts with, right, and then those expensive dedicated servers that you know, big companies are using.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like finding that sweet spot, right, Yeah, where you have more control but without breaking.
Speaker 2: The bank exactly.
Speaker 1: But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's back up a little bit. What is a VPS?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So think about it like this. It's like an apartment building. You've got this one big, powerful computer and that's the server, and it's divided into smaller, self contained units, each of them running its own operating system.
Speaker 1: Okay, and when you rent a VPS, you're basically renting one of those apartments. Okay, so you have complete control over what happens inside, but you're still sharing, you know, the building's resources like electricity and plumbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like having your own place, but you still have like a shared gym or laundry room exactly. Okay, that makes sense. But how is that different from just regular web hosting. I mean, I'm already paying for that, so why would you need a VPS?
Speaker 1: Right, So, with regular web hosting, it's more like renting a booth in somebody else's store. You know, you can decorate your booth, you can display your products, but you have to follow the store's rules. Oh you can't suddenly decide to stay open, you know, twenty four to seven or start selling something completely different. But with the VPS, you have the freedom to set your own rules. You could even choose to run your own email server, which you can't do with most basic hosting plans.
Speaker 2: Okay, so more control, more flexibility. What about the downside, I mean there's got to be a catch, right, Yeah, there's definitely a trade, and the book actually paints a pretty vivid picture of the responsibility that comes with a VPS, imagine waking up one morning and your entire blog, all your content, it's just gone, oh no boof. With shared hosting, you know, you'd call tech support and they'd hopefully sort it out. But with a VPS, you are the tech support. If you don't have backups or haven't taken the right security precautions, you could be in big trouble.
Speaker 1: That's a sobering thought. Yeah, I mean, it really makes you realize that it's not just about the cool stuff you can do, but it's also about, you know, being prepared to handle the technical side of things too.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's not all fun in games, right, It got to be responsible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. But that doesn't mean it's out of reach for regular people, right. I mean one of the advantages the.
Speaker 2: Cost, Yeah, definitely. The book mentions a real world example where somebody needed more power than shared hosting could offer, but they couldn't justify, you know, the expense of a dedicated server. Right, A dedicated server was costing over one hundred dollars a month, and they found a VPS that fit their needs for under twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a huge difference. It is so for somebody who's kind of outgrown basic hosting, but they're not ready to shell out the big bucks. A VPS seems like a pretty good middle ground for sure. You know, it's funny how we talk about websites and servers like they just magically appear. Yeah, click a link, Boom, there's the page. But what is actually happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: It is really easy to take the Internet for granted, I know, right, But every time you visit a website, there's this complex dance of communication happening between your computer and the server where that website is hosted. Okay, So let's break it down using the books. Example of visiting the website bapirate dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, take us on a virtual voyage.
Speaker 2: All right. So first your computer needs to figure out where this biro dot com server is actually located, okay, and it does this through DNS, the Domain Name system okay, which is like a giant GPS for the Internet. You type in the human readable address bopirate dot com and DNS translates that into this verus IP address, which is the computer friendly location.
Speaker 1: So DNS is like looking up an address in the phone.
Speaker 2: Book exactly Once your computer knows the server's address, it needs to find the right door to knock on. And this is where port numbers come in. Think of them like specific apartment numbers within that server building.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Port eighty is usually the standard door for web traffic, and port four forty three is the secure door for HTTPS websites.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've found the building with DNS right, and then the right apartment with port number.
Speaker 2: Yep. What happens next, So your computer sends a request for the specific web page you want to see. So let's say the homepage of bpirate dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The server now knows exactly what you're looking for and gathers all the necessary files, the HTML, the CSS, the images, maybe some JavaScript, and sends them back to your browser. Okay, and your browser then assembles all of those pieces into the beautifully formatted web page that you see on your screen.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's amazing how much is happening in just the blink of an eye. Yeah, and to think that this whole process is triggered every single time we click on a link or type in a web dress.
Speaker 2: I know, it's a lot of work for just opening a web page.
Speaker 1: Yep. That's incredible. But let's say I'm sold on the idea of getting a VPS. How do I even begin choosing a provider? Can I feel a bit like picking a landlord? Doesn't it?
Speaker 2: It does? You're absolutely right. It's about finding the right fit for your needs and for your comfort level. The book kind of categorizes providers into these three categories, low end, high end, and cloud providers, and each has its pros and con.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you break those downforce? What are the key differences?
Speaker 2: So low end providers are kind of like renting a storage unit. You get the space, it's affordable, but you're on your own if something goes wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: High end providers are more like having a concierge service. They offer robust support, but you're going to pay a premium for that handholding. And then you've got the cloud providers, which are more like renting a flexible workspace. You can scale your resources up or down as need, paying only for what you use, but they can be more complex to manage.
Speaker 1: So storage unit, luxury apartment, co working space. I love these analogies. Yeah, it makes it so much clearer to actually visualize it. I like that, But what you mentioned something earlier about Amazon Web Services. Oh yeah, what's the story there?
Speaker 2: So what's fascinating about AWS is that it's not just some small time hosting company, right, This is a massive cloud platform that's used by giants like Netflix and Facebook.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: It offers this huge range of services, including VPS hosting through their EC two service.
Speaker 1: So if it's good enough for them, it's probably pretty good.
Speaker 2: Right, I think. So it's a pretty good indicator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think for most people, the practical considerations are key. Right. What are some of the things that we should be looking for when we're comparing different VPS providers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the monthly fee is just the tip of the iceberg. You also need to think about things like bandwidth, how much data your site is going to transfer each month? And then the cost of domain names.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Most providers will offer like a first year discount on domain registration, but those costs can really add up over time.
Speaker 1: Right, So factor in those hidden costs. Yeah, And speaking of things that add up, what about time commitment? How much time will I actually need to spend setting up and managing my vps?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The book actually includes this really helpful table that breaks down you know, the time required for each stage, from you know, signing up for an account to weekly maintenance. It can really vary from just a few minutes to several hours for more complex tasks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good to know. It's easy to underestimate the time involved in that, especially if you're kind of new to server management. Yeah, and I know most people probably skip over the legal stuff. But why should we actually pay attention to those terms of service in slas?
Speaker 2: So these documents they outline your rights and your responsibilities as a VPS owner. You know, the terms of service are like your lease agreement with the provider. Okay, and the SLA the service level agreement. That's their promise to keep your server running smoothly. It's like they're uptime guarantee.
Speaker 1: So it's not just legal jargon. It's actually important for understanding you know, what you're getting into and what protections you have.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say we've picked our provider, we've signed all the paperwork, we're ready to roll. How do we actually use this shiny new VPS? What happens next?
Speaker 2: All right, So this is where we start getting into the world of Linux and the command line Okay. Most VPS is run on Linux, and the command line is how you interact with the server.
Speaker 1: Linux command line. That sounds a little intimidating, it can be.
Speaker 2: It's not as scary as it sounds, though.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The command line is just a text based way to communicate with your server, Okay, and it's actually quite powerful because it gives you direct access to the server's inner workings.
Speaker 1: So no fancy buttons or graphical interfaces. Not really, we're going old school, we are, all right, But where do we even begin? What are some of the essential commands that we need to know?
Speaker 2: All right? So the book starts with the basics of Linux administration. Yeah, you'll learn commands like CD, which is changed directory and that's for navigating to different directories, just like clicking through folders on your computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So CD is like moving around. What about seeing what's actually inside those folds?
Speaker 2: So that's where the l's command comes, and it lists all the files in a directory, just like opening a folder on your computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, So CD kate to move around l's to see what's there. But what if I want to actually see what's inside a file?
Speaker 2: Not the name for that you would use the cat command. It displays the entire contents of a file right on your screen, and it's useful for you know, viewing configuration files or other small text files.
Speaker 1: CAT for peaking inside the files. Okay, I'm starting to get a little bit more comfortable with this command line thing. But what if I have a really huge file? You know, I don't want my screen to be flooded with text.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. Lenox has a command for that too. It's called less and it lets you view large files page by page, so you can scroll through the content at your own pace.
Speaker 1: Oh, less is more. I like it exactly, But there's one command that still makes me a little nervous. R M the delete command.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right to be cautious with that one. ARM is a powerful command, especially when you use the adas R flag, which is for recursive deleution, and that can wipe out an entire directory and everything in it, just like accidentally emptying your entire recycle bin.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Definitely don't want to do that. Any Tips for avoiding disaster, Yeah, always.
Speaker 2: Double check your commands before you press enter, especially when you're using ARM, and if you really want to play it safe. You can use the eye flag and that'll prompt you for confirmation before deleting each file, so you have a chance to back out if you made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Okay, so double check, use the safety net, and maybe say a little prayer before you hit enter.
Speaker 2: That might help.
Speaker 1: But what if I'm not even sure where a file is? What if I can only remember part of the name or the data I created it, how do I find it?
Speaker 2: That's where the find command comes in. It's like having a search engine for your server. You can search for files based on their name, size, modification, date, and all sorts of other criteria.
Speaker 1: So find is like the server's search and rescue team.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's like having a digital bloodhound sniff out those loss fons.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like it.
Speaker 1: But you know, even with these basic commands, the command line still feels a little bit well old school.
Speaker 2: It is old school.
Speaker 1: Is there a more user friendly way to manage a VPS?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? So. The book introduces us to this fantastic tool called webmen, and it's kind of a game changer. Webmin It's a graphical interface that lets you control your server through your web browser.
Speaker 1: So instead of typing commands in a black screen, we can click buttons and menus exactly. Okay, that sounds much more my speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's much more intuitive for a lot of people. Webmen organizes task into these logical categories, and so it's easy to find what you're looking for. You can install software, you can can figure server settings, monitor performance, all without having to remember those command line incantations.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sold. Webmen sounds like a must half. But before we get too comfortable clicking around, we need to talk about security.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: I know we touched on it briefly earlier, but I'm ready to really lock down my vps. Where do we start?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So security should always be top of mind when you're managing your own server. One of the first things you should do is change the default passwords for all user accounts, especially the root account. Okay, because those default passwords are probably as secure as leaving your front door unlocked.
Speaker 1: Right, because those are probably sitting in some hacker's handbooks.
Speaker 2: Somewhere exactly, And when you create new passwords, make them strong and unique. The book emphasizes using ungodly long passwords at least twelve characters, with a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no more password one, two, three, or my pet's name, No more of that, got it. But strong passwords are just the beginning, right, Yeah? What else can we do to beef up security?
Speaker 2: So firewalls are essential. They act as gatekeepers, controlling the flow of traffic in and out of your server. You can configure your firewall to block certain ports, restrict access from specific IP addresses, and even log any suspicious activity.
Speaker 1: So we're building a virtual wall around our server with only certain doors open to the outside world.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 1: What about those SSH key files you mentioned earlier, how do those fit into the picture?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So ssh key files offer a much more secure way to log into your server than just using passwords alone. They rely on public key cryptography, which is like having a lock and key system for your server. So you keep the private key safe on your own computer, and the server has the matching public key, and only someone with that private key can unlock the server.
Speaker 1: It's like having a personalized access key that's way more secure than a traditional lock and key.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: But even with all these security measures in place, strong passwords, firewalls, sshkey files. What happens if something goes wrong? What if my server crashes or I accidentally delete some important files?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where backups come in.
Speaker 1: Ohka.
Speaker 2: Backups are like insurance for your vps. They ensure that you can recover your data if disaster strikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so backups are non negotiable. Yeah, but what's the best way to go about backing up a VPS? Do I need some fancy software or a separate hard drive.
Speaker 2: There are different approaches, but a common method is to use a combination of Linux tools like Tar and g zip lets. You bundle multiple files and directories into a single archive file, and then g zip compresses that archive to save space.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like packing your important belongings into a suitcase and then using like a vacuum sealer to shrink it down for easier storage.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay cool. You can then transfer those compressed archives to a separate location, like an external hard drive or a cloud storage service. That way, even if something happens to your VPS, you'll have a copy of your data safe.
Speaker 2: And sound exactly. It's like that just in case.
Speaker 1: Got it? Backups are like that emergency kit you keep in your car, just in case. But even with security and backups in place, managing a VPS isn't just a one time setup, right What kind of ongoing maintenance should we be thinking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so keeping your software up to date is one of the most important ongoing tasks. Software updates often include security patches, I'll protect your server from any newly discovered vulnerabilities, and they'll also have bug fixes that can improve performance and stability.
Speaker 1: So those update notifications that always seem to pop up at the worst possible time, they're actually our friends.
Speaker 2: They are. They're crucial for keeping your VPS healthy.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to know, and thankfully, updating software out of vps is usually a pretty straightforward process, right it is.
Speaker 2: You can use package managers like APT, which is for Debian based systems, or YUM for CentOS based systems, and they'll handle downloading and installing the updates for you.
Speaker 1: APT and YUM the update curus.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: But how often should we be checking for updates? Is it a daily thing, a weekly thing, or just whenever we remember?
Speaker 2: So checking for updates at least once a week is a good rule of thumb. Okay, and some systems will even let you configure automatic updates so you don't even have to worry about doing it manually.
Speaker 1: Automatic updates Sign me up for that. It's like having a self cleaning oven, you know, one less thing to worry about. But what about those server logs that we talked about earlier. You mentioned they were important for spotting potential problems. Can you kind of walk us through what we should be looking for. Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, logs are like your server's diary. They record all sorts of events, from successful logins and software installations to errors and warnings. And regularly reviewing your logs can help you identify suspicious activity. You can troubleshoot problems, and even anticipate potential issues before they turn into major headaches.
Speaker 1: So we're putting on our detective ads and combing through the server's logs for clues. What kind of red flag should we be looking out for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, one of the most important logs to monitor is the authentication log. It records all log in attempts, both successful and failed. Yeah, and you want to pay close attention to any failed log in attempts, especially if they're coming from unfamiliar IP addresses. That could be a sign that somebody's trying to brute force their way into your server.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a little unnerving, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Can be, which is why those strong passwords and those SSH key files are so important. But beyond security, you'll also want to keep an eye on logs related to your web server, database and any other software that you're running.
Speaker 1: Right, because if something goes wrong, those logs can provide valuable insights into what happened and how to fix it. Absolutely, Okay, I'm feeling much more confident about managing the technical side of a VPS, but I'm still curious about what I can actually do with this newfound power. Right, what are some real world examples of how people are using vps is to create cool and innovative things.
Speaker 2: That's where the real fun begins. The world of open source software opens up a universe of possibilities, and in the next part of our deep dive, we'll explore some incredible open source tools that can transform your VPS from a simple server into a platform for innovation.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you've got me intrigued. I'm ready to see what this open source magic is all about.
Speaker 2: Get ready to be amazed. We'll be diving into everything from online learning platforms and customer support systems to tools that'll let you create your own private secure network.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, sounds like we have a lot to cover.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our deep dive into the world of virtual private servers.
Speaker 1: All right, so we left off talking about Linux and the command line, which I'll be honest still makes me a little.
Speaker 2: Nervous, I understand, But you know, think of it this way. Using the command line, it's like having a backstage pass to your server.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You're not just clicking buttons. You're directly controlling how things work.
Speaker 1: A backstage pass. Okay, Okay, that sounds a little bit more appealing, right, So where do we even begin with this backstage tour?
Speaker 2: So when you first log into your VPS, you'll find yourself in your home directory and it's like your personal workspace on the server. From there, you can use the CD command to navigate to different directories, just like clicking through folders on your computer.
Speaker 1: So if I wanted to see what files are in the documents directory, I would take CD documents exactly, and then what.
Speaker 2: And then you would use the all's command to list all the files in that directory. Okay, like opening the folder and seeing what's inside.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of the CD to move around old skep to peek inside. But what if I want to actually see the contents of a file, not just the name.
Speaker 2: That's where the cat command comes in handy. It displays the entire contents of a file right on your screen. Okay, and this is especially helpful for viewing those configuration files, which are often plain text files that control how your server and software operate.
Speaker 1: CAT for peaking inside, got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But what if I have like a massive file, you know, like a huge log file. I don't want to have to scroll through pages and pages of text.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Linux has a solution for that too.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: There's a command called less, and it lets you view large files page by page.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can scroll up and down, search for specific text, even jump to specific lines, much more manageable than having the whole file dumped on your screen at once.
Speaker 1: Less for handling those behemoth files makes sense. But there's one command that we talked about in the last part that still makes me a little uneasy. R m the delete command.
Speaker 2: It's good to be cautious with ARM, especially when you add the R flag for recursive dilution. That's like saying, delete this entire folder and everything inside it, no matter how many subfolders or files it contains.
Speaker 1: Yikes, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. What if I accidentally delete something important?
Speaker 2: Well, that's why it's so important to double check your commands before you puss enter. Okay, And you can add another layer of safety by using the I flag. Okay, and it'll ask you to confirm before deleting each file, so you have a chance to back out if you realize you've made a mistake.
Speaker 1: Okay, so double check, use the safety net. Yeah, and maybe hold my breath while I hit in.
Speaker 2: Maybe that'll help.
Speaker 1: But what if I'm not even sure where a file is? What if I can only remember, you know, part of the name where the data I created it.
Speaker 2: That's when the find command becomes your best friend.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like a search engine for your server. You can search for files based on their name, size, modification date, all sorts of other criteria.
Speaker 1: The server search and rescue team. I love it. It's like having a digital bloodowun sniffing out those loss files. I like it, but you know, as helpful as these commands are, the command line still feels a little daunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is old school.
Speaker 1: Is there a more visual, user friendly way to manage a VPS, you know, something that doesn't require me to memorize a bunch of cryptic commands.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The book introduces us to a tool called Webmen, and it's kind of a game changer.
Speaker 1: Webman.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a graphical interface that lets you control your server through your web browser.
Speaker 1: So instead of typing commands and a black screen, I can click buttons and menus exactly. Okay, that sounds much more my speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's much more intuitive for a lot of people, right. Webmen organizes tasks into these logical categories, so it's really easy to find what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can install software, configure server settings, monitor performance, all without having to remember those command line incantations.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sold. Webman sounds like a must have. But before we get too excited about all the things we can do, we need to talk about security.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: I know we touch on it briefly before, but I'm ready to like really dive deep and lock down my vps? Where do we start? All?
Speaker 2: Right, So security should always be top of mind when you're managing your own server. One of the first things you should do is change those default passwords for all of the user accounts. Okay, especially the root account.
Speaker 1: Right, because those default passwords are probably about as secure as leaving my front door unlocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And when you create new passwords, make them strong and unique. The book recommends passwords that are ungodly long, okay, at least twelve characters, with a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no more password one, two three or my pet's name, No more of that, got it. But strong passwords are just the beginning it, Right. What else can we do to kind of beef up security?
Speaker 2: So firewalls are essential. They act as gatekeepers, controlling the flow of traffic in and out of your server.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You can configure your firewall to block certain ports, restrict access from specific IP addresses, and even log any suspicious activity.
Speaker 1: So we're building of virtual wall around our server with only certain doors open to the outside world.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 1: What about those SSH key files you mentioned earlier, how do those fit into the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sshkey files offer a much more secure way to log into your server than using passwords alone.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They rely on something called public key cryptography, which is like having a lock and key system for your server. Okay, so you keep the private key safe on your own computer, and the server has the matching public key, and only someone with that private key can unlock the server.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a personalized access key that's way more secure than like a traditional lock and key.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. Yeah, but even with all of these security measures in place, strong passwords, firewalls, sshkey files, what happens if something goes wrong? What if my server crashes or I accidentally delete some important files.
Speaker 2: Well that's where backups come in. Backups are like insurance for your vps. They ensure that you can recover your data if does that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so backups are no negotiable. But what's the best way to go about backing up a VPS? Do I need like some fancy software or a separate hard drive?
Speaker 2: So there are a couple different approaches, but a common method is to use a combination of Linux tools like Tar and g zip. Car car lets you bundle multiple files and directories into a single archive file, okay, and then g zip compresses that archive to safe space.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like packing your important belongings into a suitcase and then using like a vacuum seal or to shrink it down for easier storage.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy a lot, That's right, And you can then.
Speaker 1: Transfer those compressed archives to a separate location like an external hard drive or cloud storage service.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That way, even if something happens to your VPS, you'll have a copy of your data safe and sound exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like that just in case, got it?
Speaker 1: Backups are like that emergency kit you keep in your car.
Speaker 2: Yep, just in case, Just in case.
Speaker 1: But even with security and backups in place, managing a VPS isn't just a one time setup, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What kind of ongoing maintenance should we be thinking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so keeping your software up to date is one of the most important ongoing tasks, Okay. Software updates often include security patches that'll protect your server from any newly discovered vulnerabilities, right, and they also include bug fixes that can improve performance and stabilities.
Speaker 1: So those update notifications that always seem to pop up at the worst possible time, they're actually our friends.
Speaker 2: They are. They're crucial for keeping your VPS healthy.
Speaker 1: Good to know and thankfully. Updating software on a VPS is usually a pretty straightforward.
Speaker 2: Process, right it is. You can use package managers like APT which is for Debian based systems, or YUM for Scentoist based systems. Okay, and they'll handle downloading and installing the updates for you.
Speaker 1: APPT and Yum the update gurus. M got it. But how often should we be checking for updates? Is it a daily thing, a weekly thing, or just whenever we remember?
Speaker 2: Checking for updates at least once a week is a good rule of thumb. And some systems will even let you configure automatic updates so you don't have to worry about doing it manually.
Speaker 1: Automatic updates. Sign me up for that. It's like having a self cleaning oven, you know, one less thing to worry about. Yeah, but what about those server logs that we talked about earlier. You mentioned they were important for spotting potential problems. Can you kind of walk us through what we should be looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so logs are like your server's diary. They record all sorts of events, from successful logins and software installations to errors and warnings, and regularly reviewing your logs can help you identify suspicious activity, troubleshoot problems, and even anticipate potential issues before they turn into major headaches.
Speaker 1: So we're putting on our detective hats and we're combing through the server's logs for clues. What kind of red flag should we be looking out for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the most important logs to monitor is the authentication log. It records all log in attempts, both successful and failed. Okay, and you want to pay close attention to any failed log in attempts, especially if they're coming from unfamiliar IP addresses. That could be a sign that somebody is trying to brute force their way into your server.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a little nerving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be, which is why those strong passwords and those sshkey files we talked about are so important. But beyond security, you also want to keep an eye on logs related to your web server, database and any other software that you're running, right.
Speaker 1: Because if something goes wrong, those logs can provide valuable insights into what happened and how to fix it? Absolutely Okay, I'm feeling much more confident about managing like the technical side of a VPS, but I'm still curious about what I can actually do with this newfound power. R What are some real world examples of how people are using vps is to create cool and innovative things.
Speaker 2: That's where the real fun begins. Okay, the world of open source software opens up a universe of possibilities, and in the next part of our deep dive, we'll explore some incredible open source tools that can transform your VPS from a simple server into a platform for innovation.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you've got me intrigued. I'm ready to see with this open source magic is all about.
Speaker 2: Get ready to be amazed. We'll be diving into everything from online learning platforms and customer support systems to tools that'll let you create your own private, secure network.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it sounds like we have a lot to cover.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. Welcome back to the deep dive. We're ready to jump into that exciting world of open source software and see how it can transform your VPS from a basic server into something amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like going from a blank canvas to a fully equipped art studio.
Speaker 1: I love that analogy. But before we unleash our inner artists, can we back up for a secon What is open source software exactly?
Speaker 2: So? Open source software is software that is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. Okay, and it's built on these principles of collaboration, transparency, and community.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like a giant potluck where everyone brings their best recipes and shares them with the world.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Yeah, and just like a potluck. The beauty of open source software is that it's constantly evolving and improving thanks to the contributions of countless developers around the globe.
Speaker 1: And the best part is that it's often completely free to use. But with so many options out there, yeah, it can be a little overwhelming to know where to even.
Speaker 2: Start, that's true, But the book highlights some fantastic open source tools that can really supercharge your vps. One that particularly stands out is Moodle.
Speaker 1: Moodle that sounds intriguing, tell me more so.
Speaker 2: Moodle is an open source learning management system that's used by educators and organizations worldwide. To create online courses, deliver training programs, and build collaborative learning environments.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you can actually create your own online university with moodle. That's incredible. What if I'm not an educator? Though? Are there any open source tools that would be helpful for, say, a small business owner?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? So. The book also mentions awstiket okay, which.
Speaker 1: Is a powerful help desk and customer support ticketing system.
Speaker 2: So you could potentially ditch those expensive customer support platforms and mana everything right from your VPS.
Speaker 1: Precisely, Wow, aw stinke. It allows you to track customer inquiries, assign tickets to your team, and even build a knowledge base to empower customers to solve those common issues on their own.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. It's like having your own personal customer support team, all powered by open source software. Speaking of doing things yourself, the book also mentions something called your RLS.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yes, your RLS is a tool that lets you create your own custom shortened URLs.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You know. Think of those long, unwieldy links you often see on social media or in presentations. Right, your RLS lets you transform them into short, memorable links, often using your own domain name.
Speaker 2: So it's not just about making links shorter, it's about making them look more professional and be easier to remember exactly.
Speaker 1: And for those who are particularly concerned about privacy, the book dives into open VPN. Open VPN. That one rings a bell. I think I've heard that mentioned in conversations about like online security and anonymity.
Speaker 2: You're on the right track. OpenVPN is an open source tool that allows you to create your own virtual private network or VPN.
Speaker 1: Okay. VPNs are definitely a hot topic these days, but can you remind me what they actually do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a VPN creates a secure, encrypted tunnel between your computer and the internet, Okay, and all of your online traffic is routed through that tunnel, making it much harder for anyone to snoop on your activity or steal your data.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a secret passageway for all your online communications.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to visualize it. And when you run OpenVPN on your vps, you're essentially creating your own personal VPN server that you can connect to from anywhere in the world and enjoy the benefits of that enhanced security and privacy.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly useful. Especially when using public Wi Fi or traveling to countries with Internet restrictions.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and those are just a few examples. The book actually mentions even more open source tools like ODO for business management, Lime Survey for conducting surveys, Mailman for running mailing lists, Phoenix KRT for building an e commerce store, and media wiki for creating your own collaborative wiki.
Speaker 1: It's incredible how much you can actually do with the VPS and the power of open source software.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's really impressive.
Speaker 1: Feels like we've only scratched the surface of what's possible.
Speaker 2: Definitely, But even in this you know, short deep dive, I think we've learned some valuable lessons about vps's. We've gone from you know, understanding what they are and how they work, to actually, you know, getting hands on with basic Linux commands and then exploring you know, ways to secure and maintain our server.
Speaker 1: And it feels empowering to realize that we now have the knowledge and the tools to take control of our own little corner of the Internet.
Speaker 2: It is. That's the beauty of it. And remember, with open source software, the learning never stops. There's always something new to explore, something new to create.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you for being such a fantastic guide on this journey.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure.
Speaker 1: It's been really eye opening, and to everyone listening, thanks for joining us on the deep dive. We hope this deep dive has inspired you to explore the possibilities of vps's and that amazing world of open source software. Until next time, keep diving deeper, keep learning, and keep creating.