Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to another episode of the JavaScript Jabber podcast. This week on our panel, we have a j O'Neill yoh.
Speaker 2: Yeah yo, coming at you live from Stromboli.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I timed that well. I saw you were chewing food. But anyway, I'm Charles Maxwood from Top End Devs and this week we have two special guests. We have is it how do you say? Ju?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Joel?
Speaker 1: Anywhere close you.
Speaker 4: Can call me Vita. It's easier, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want to just do a quick introduction who you are what you do?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: I work full time as a AI engineer in brazilon in a innovation lab here, and I also do free lancing at Coke Maintur and.
Speaker 6: I helped, I have helped the people from all the world, you know, from Cohuxton to Canada. You ask your and there I met Manny and the Stephan partnership there.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, so you mentioned Manny. Manny is our other guest. Manny, do you want to introduce yourself real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah? My name is Manny live in Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 7: I'm a postact Jabascript developer working with React on an internal cloud platform for a bank. I been there about five years now gets sort of like mid year, mid mid level. I think that's what while was describe me as. And I actively been seeking mentorship for a while. I had a very difficult time finding it until I actually got on code Mentor in in Talms as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, we're we're talking about I should set the stage.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: We're talking about mentorship and friendship and you know how that helps personal growth and things like that is kind of the the overall idea that at least was put put forward, you know when when Manny and Juau or Victor Detour. Sorry, I'm gonna mess that up the whole time anyway, So uh, you know that that was the idea that we got to while, you know, and why we set up this episode is because this is an area that I guess we focused a lot on the technology, and I think this is an important area. So yeah, I'd love to just kind of get the story. I love I love hearing stories. So Manny, maybe you should start out and just kind of tell us, Okay, this is where I was at, this is this is what I was looking for, This is how I found code Mentor, And then you know how you kind of moved into this you know, mentorship relationship.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, so I at thirty five, I you know, which is back like in twenty fifteen to give away my age, I decided I was going to change my career. I know I was going to decided I would change my career. I know it's all here, but so I decided I was going to change my career, which at that stage, like I had like no background in programming other than some like HTML stuff I had learned while I was a copywriter.
Speaker 3: But I had an interest in all the things that.
Speaker 7: I was told not to touch, like CSS and JavaScript, and I just I wanted a better job with you know, more fulfilling and you know that way they challenge me a little bit more intellectually. So I went to like a I don't know if you'd call it a boot camp. It is like a nine month kind of like introduction to JavaScript. And I learned probably like ten percent of what I needed to know there to be successful. So I get out of there, I don't know hardly anything, and I have to from that point actually start making up all the things I need to know to be able to get myself into a job.
Speaker 3: After thirty five. So I did a lot.
Speaker 7: Of self study, put myself through like a lot of just sort of like rigorous hard lessons of like working for free, although I don't recommend that doing internships to be able to get the experience that I needed in order to be able to build things. So in doing that, I learned a lot about how to manipulate data, how to think about state on the front end mobile applications. I learned a lot from work in solving business problems and like critical situations where I had like intense pressure on me to do so, which was good. But during that process I really like neglected like learning like computer science stuff. One probably because I was intimidated by it, in two I didn't necessarily need it to get a job. And three just like the time allotment that I had, you know, versus what I could learn versus what I had time to do. So fast forward in my current role now for five years, I really liked my job, like the people I work with. I'm well respected, you know, I have good time off, like I'm off today for Labor Day.
Speaker 3: So I really like where I'm at.
Speaker 7: But I've started feeling like I've been getting too comfortable and with a lot of the t from the economy. I'm like, okay, well what would happen if I had to go back out there and interview again? Like where am I at? Like? Is the experience that I have building things good enough? So I was like, I want to learn this stuff. I don't want to do it alone because I need some motivation and I know that if I just start by myself, like it'll like I'll.
Speaker 3: Get sidetracked by things. So I went on code Mentor and look for a mentor and phone as well.
Speaker 1: Cool, So what I mean, what's the process you get into code Mentor? Yeah? I mean did you do they just match you up based on skills or no? Trying to get in and say hey this is what I want?
Speaker 3: Or yeah kind of like I mean you put all right?
Speaker 7: So I think if I remember, you just put like a basic fielder out there like with a message like hey, this is where I'm at in my career, this is what I'm looking for, you know, this is my time zone, and then within like five minutes you get inundated with like five thousand people like trying to get you to sign up with them, and obviously you know they're looking for business, they're looking to mentors, so you have a lot of stuff to filter through. So I actually found someone before juell Or around the same time, and I met with him and like he the first thing he did was like started taking me through like merch sword. I was like, whoa back out, dude, I'm looking for like long term mentorship here. We haven't been started talking about a raised yet, why are we getting in? Like it just felt like he wasn't like targeted towards me. Now, I had a message from Jewell that said, hey, let's meet. I want to find out if we can work together, and that kind of stoock out stood out to me. And plus he was Brazilian and you know, my dad had lived down there, and we just made the connection.
Speaker 3: We had like an initial meeting and from there, I think he took some.
Speaker 7: Time to figure out if we were going to work together, and then we decided to and we've been going at it since the beginning of April.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: So I'm lucky. I got really lucky.
Speaker 1: Right, So, Johile, when you're looking at people that you can help, right because because it's a two way street, right, So if you're looking at people you can help up, how do you decide? Okay, you know, many looks like somebody I can help versus maybe you know, I'm not going to pitch this person because I don't know if I've got what they need.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, That's why I said to him too, that we should first meet and talk about his goals, his struggles and understand him, you know, listing activity and see if my exkulls.
Speaker 4: And uh, the way that I teach would.
Speaker 6: Help him, because I believe that from the standpoint from the meet and also from the mentor, we have to deliver an excellent service, right, And yeah, so I also interview him as a mentor.
Speaker 1: So let me back up for a minute, because you know, I'm looking at this and looking at kind of the relationship and the process and a j feel free to jump in anytime you want. But what made you decide that you wanted to do this kind of mentorship? Right? How did you get into the code mentor arena?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 4: Me and me are many?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You?
Speaker 5: I actually I freelanced it for some ad tech startups and I always love it to help.
Speaker 6: People from you know, like from as early as I remember, I love it to help colleagues.
Speaker 4: In class and school, and it's just a personal traits.
Speaker 6: It's something that I have passion about and I enjoy doing this, so it's aligned with my values my beliefs. So when I do this, I'm happy when I'm helping someone, teaching someone and making someone progress and accomplished goals. I feel that when many accomplished goes, it's like I am also accomplished accomplishing the goals, you know, Like I celebrate with him, you know when he like his trying to learn a new pattern encoding, and I give him like an exercise, some challenge, and I see that he uh understood and started to generalize two new problems.
Speaker 4: That's an important component variable to assess learning.
Speaker 6: If you can generalize to new problems, it's not that you memorize it.
Speaker 4: It's like in AI, you know.
Speaker 6: Like I like to do this intersection when I'm explaining things because of my background and AI. You over if you are model over feet, you know, like the data he is not. He can't generalize. He can't he didn't learn, he didn't learn, And the.
Speaker 4: Same is for us. You know, if we can generalize two new problems.
Speaker 6: Then you can feel more confident that learning happened. And many we monitor. So, as we were talking before, some of the components of great mentorship, one of them is to monitor progress. So you have to have some kind of system to monitor progress. So we have a system, uh that many we and we have we require the data, so I know which exercise he found hard, easy, medium, hard, you know, and I can this way, uh set.
Speaker 4: A personalized lessons for.
Speaker 6: Him and exercise and these way he can progress in a more accelerated pace.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. And just just to give people a little bit, you mentioned like an AI overfitting data. Effectively, the idea behind overfitting, if you're not familiar with the term, is that your results too closely matched your training set to the point where if you try and run other things through it right, because you train it so that you can give stuff that it hasn't seen before and it does the right thing. If it overfits, it means it fits the training data when you look at the results on the training data, but it doesn't work well with things outside the training set. And so exactly, you know, so what what yeah, what Vitor sat talking about as he's saying, you know, we want to teach people like Manning or other people that he's mentoring concepts that they can use outside of the couple of examples or exercises that he's giving him. Yes, I state that properly.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, very well. Uh and uh. One of the great things also.
Speaker 6: That I think helps in learning for us humans is, uh, there is this word that's meta cognition. And I try to to make although uh many maybe he doesn't know uh that he's doing meta cognition, but he's doing because cognition is thinking about your own talk process. So this this also helps you get better at coing. So how how do you think? You know, reflect on how you think, how you sow thinks? What's your talk process to solve problem?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: Did you did you say meditation, the medic cognition?
Speaker 1: Yes, megnition, thinking about how you think exactly?
Speaker 6: Meta is uh thinking about you won't thinking exactly max yeh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's it's interesting that you bring that up to And then I'm going to ask Manny a question because I've been reading. Uh. So I I've been doing this uh mental toughness program called seventy five Hard And one of the things you have to do is read ten pages out of a book every day, and the book I've been reading is Awaken the Giant Within, And it's kind of the same idea where you he talks a lot more about like changing your state, but you do a lot of the magnet meg metacognition type things where you're saying, I'm thinking this and they need to change it to that, right, And so you're paying attention to what makes you do what you do? Manny, I'm I'm kind of curious. U. Vtors talked about a bunch of different things, like what you want to accomplish, and you know, kind of setting goals and keeping track of your progress and then kind of this metacognition. How have these things worked for you? Like which parts really stand out?
Speaker 7: So I would say that, like, the first thing that really stands out to me is the fact that we have a way to track progress. So generally, like if you know, you try to learn something on your own, there's I mean, you can hold yourself accountable, but you don't really have anyone outside yourself that can observe you and really give you like the proper feedback that you need because you're stuck inside yourself. So from from the very beginning, like we established like very I guess I kind of like agile way to think about like the work that we're doing in terms that we share progress every day and get feedback every day, and part of that is being able to share like where I get stuck in my thinking, and I think you can correct me if I'm wrong as well.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 7: From the notes that I take and what I write, I think you're able to get like some of an idea of like where I get stuck and where my thought process is, and it goes beyond just like like oh, how you know, I don't understand this concept. It's more about like what am I thinking about myself and my ability to succeed throughout this.
Speaker 3: So a lot of things come down to.
Speaker 7: Like internal internal dialogue and pushing through hard things. I think I kind of went off tracking your question. I apologize about that, but it's just something that came to my mind.
Speaker 6: Yes, many I think that you're in a great point as you're talking. That's at the beginning of the show that the coding. Actually there's more about coding than only coding, you know, because we are effective emotional beings. Sometimes the problem is not so much as the coding part of the process.
Speaker 4: But uh, in beliefs.
Speaker 6: You know, sometimes you are your self talk is not good, so you say, oh, it's I can't I can't solve this, it's too hard. And it's also important for problem solving your own self talk. And uh, and you create limiting beliefs. And I think in your book, I'm not sure, but uh, probably it will touch in these topics about your own self talk. What is limiting you in in fulfilling your hole potential? Uh And this is also something that uh, I think a great meatnership should should do, is to fulfill your whole potentially because I truly believe that everybody has a potential and UH should be feeling you know, you should put the you know, like third max on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean a lot of the stuff that I struggle with initially, you know that having the structure of the mentorship is helping me with is just like the belief that I can do it right. Like I'm you know, kind of past the point where a lot of people I think are learning new things. Like I said, I'm pretty comfortable where I'm at, Like I don't feel like an immense threat to my job, like I've been there a while, but was uncomfortable with kind of being too comfortable and going through this you know, learning like computer science and algorithms, data structures.
Speaker 3: It's not easy.
Speaker 7: Like especially it's been a long time since I was in college taking a math class, so you know, I've had a.
Speaker 3: Big thing hanging over my head for a long time that probably.
Speaker 7: Led to my avoidance and things that this basically said, yeah, you're not smart enough to do this, right. I mean, that's a that's a thought that I have, you know, that comes up in the back of my head a lot. And through the mentorship process, like I think that's been one of the main things that we've come to.
Speaker 3: I don't sit around being myself football day.
Speaker 7: But there are times when I'll get like a super hard problem and then I'll see that, you know, the answer might.
Speaker 3: Make I never would have come up with that on my own.
Speaker 7: And like we kind of discussed like that feeling of going through that, because that's a place where a lot of people, when you start to feel uncomfortable, hit those walls when people quit. And I think that that's probably the reason that most people, a lot of people don't succeed, is like when they get there and it feels bad, they think that as a sign like that they're not capable, when actually that's a sign that you're actually learning, and that's when you push through harder.
Speaker 8: So I have some some questions about this because I have the controversial opinion that not everybody can code, that it's not something that you can just work hard at and be good at. I kind of believe more in the philosophy that you could spend your whole life investing in something that you're not talented at. Invest all of your skill where you have no talent, and you'll become mediocre. But if you invest your skill where you have talent, you can become great. And so I'm of the opinion that not everybody should learn to code, because not everyone is talented in that area. But I'm I'm curious to whether or not, Like I discovered it early and I was talented in it. Like the first few programs I wrote, no, I didn't really understand it. I struggled, but I don't know. After I had probably less than one hundred hours programming, I was like, Okay, I get this, I understand what this is about. And I made a lot of poor choices because I didn't have the skill and I didn't have the wisdom, but I had a knack for it. And so I'm curious with your experience, do you feel like you're someone who has a knack for it or not? Do you feel like you're someone who is going to become great at it or not? And you know, like what are what are you? Some thoughts around around that.
Speaker 7: So it's I'm like, historically, like in my life, like pretty hard on myself, where I don't really think I can do anything.
Speaker 3: So that sort of like clouds over just about everything that I do.
Speaker 7: Right, the one thing that led me to think that I possibly could do it was the fact that when I was in college, I learned how to play jazz music and that was really hard, and yeah, it was like that it was kind of someone the programming in that like you you first have to like learn like the language, right, and then you have to start learning how to play music. And then like the best challenging part is you're taking language and you're taking music that might have like some structure, but you're being asked to create something completely new on the spot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: So I've been able to sort of relate that to programming and the fact that like you have to kind of grind through like a lot of like at least for me, like the tougher things. It's getting used to the concepts and stuff. But over time, as as I start as I'm not, I wasn't struggling with the language so much and I was able to start to create things. That's when I started to have the belief that I could do it. When I was able to have somebody give me an idea and then I've never seen what they want to do. I don't have any code written about it, but I can create that idea, you know. So that helped give me the belief that I could do it. Whether I'm great or not, I don't. I let other people make that judgment. And generally it's the people who pay me money, right, That's that's how I go.
Speaker 3: And if they think I am, then that's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's that's a great way to go about it, for sure.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, so yeah, I have fun.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal.
Speaker 7: I when I was first learning, and it was hard, Like there are obviously times.
Speaker 3: I'm like manage you know, am I really could out for this.
Speaker 7: But the one thing that I knew was that when I solved the problem, it made me feel good and I had a lot of fun and I wanted to keep doing it. So I was like, well, you know, I kind of like this, and maybe I suck, but you know whatever, you know, I'm gonna keep doing it. So and I was able to kind of, you know, launch that into do some pretty cool things, you know, after I kind of got my feet on the ground.
Speaker 8: You know, the thing that you said about music, it is astonishing to me. I noticed this connection very early on. In fact, my high school technology teacher was had his degree in music, and so many of the programmers that I meet have some sort of musical talent as well. So it's very interesting. I mean, maybe it's just because lots of people have music talent, period, but I've met more musicians that are programmers than say chefs that are programmers or you know, like it seems to be tightly correlated. And also something that I like that you're saying is that you pushed through it and you felt a sense of satisfaction and some sort of sense of fun. I see a lot of people that are the people that I believe ought to try to find something else where they have a talent that's going to give them that reward. But they want to they want to like push through just for the money. And it doesn't it doesn't look like I don't know that I've I've heard a success story from somebody who pushed through because they were determined.
Speaker 2: To make the money. Maybe, I don't know. I never have.
Speaker 7: I never have, And I think that that would be a pretty miserable life because you would wind up doing something that you hate to do every day, and that's you know, and that's challenging, right, Like, I can't see. I'm sure if people are out there like that, you could just shut their mind off and just do whatever. But for me, I have to have fun at my job, like and I have to enjoy what I'm doing and enjoy the people around doing or I'll go do something else.
Speaker 1: Well, I've I've met people that they didn't hate programming, they just didn't love it the way that I love it. And so you know, they Yeah, and so they wind up being passable programmers, right, they can they can get the stuff done, they can write decently maintainable code. But yeah, they they never become great at it. And and I think that there are different aspects to this as far as you know AJ's talking about, you know, maybe natural talent or you know, bent toward it, but I also think that's there's a certain amount of passion and and other things that go into it as well. I want to change gears just a little bit because you guys talked about some stuff that it sounds like kind of nuts bolt stuff that that I think is important to kind of understand. And I don't know if this process works for everybody, but you're talking about kind of checking in on a regular basis, like how do you keep track of what you're you know, what you're working on as far as you know, if if jo you an exercise to do, or if you're coming up with some goal for something you want to learn or do, Like what's your system for this back and forth? So it's okay, this is this is what I want. Okay, this is how we're going to get you there, and this is how I'm gonna check in on it. Do you understand what I'm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I can tell you straight up.
Speaker 7: We have a Trollo combound board that we've just created a couple of weeks ago to keep track of everything. So it's like that work kind of. I tag things, we write up, you know, kind of. I don't know if we do user stories in it, but that's how we keep track of stuff. We treat it like I said, you know, we organize it. We have we have three simple rows in it, you know, like our backlog and progress and done everything I do.
Speaker 3: I upload on whatever problem I'm working.
Speaker 7: On, and then we add notes and feedback from there, and we keep in touch, you know, every day, like communicating too.
Speaker 1: That's super important. So how do you decide? I guess then maybe you should just get an example right where it was, Hey, this is a thing that I you know, I either was told I needed to learn or this is a thing that I told him I wanted to learn. And then what's your process going all the way through it for you know, getting to the point where you feel like now I've mastered This's.
Speaker 3: A that's a good question. You want to share some of those show well, I.
Speaker 4: Think you can share it down and we will give a more technical.
Speaker 7: In terms of like what like why I'm kind of going back and learning, you know, the computer science sort of side of things. It's because I feel like it's important, you know, to become a better programmer. Like it's not something I don't want to know how to do, it's you know, so I feel like i'll you know, have some more respect for myself for doing it. But also it gives me insight into you know, designing better applications and making decisions in a better thought process. So I guess I've always known for a while that that's something that I want to do and that's important.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: It's not there for no reason, right. Also, it does open up more opportunities the better you can perform at things, and I think it just you know, makes you better programmer all around. How we communicate that was I mean basically guys that this is what I'm looking to do, this is what I've done, and can you help me get there? And then Joelle kind of comes up with the curriculum from you know, we're starting like the very beginning, like what's in array?
Speaker 3: You know, how is it?
Speaker 7: You know, how is it stored of memory? And stuff like that, and just going from the very beginning all the way up like through wherever we're going to be, Right, So.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna answer the question. I'm gonna ask, So go ahead.
Speaker 6: Mhe One great way to us, says his skills is testing testing him uh.
Speaker 4: And there are many ways to to do that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I can ask him to write about the topic, and I can evaluate what he knows about that. I can give him uh much full choice questions to him and see what he gets right. I can give him like a lead code exercises to see what he knows.
Speaker 4: And so they're collect.
Speaker 6: Data from from him to know what he's strong, what he's weaker. And another important compound component uh in uh this journey is to start really mastering.
Speaker 4: The core concepts.
Speaker 6: You know, because you may say, like okay, a race, Uh this is so easy, so basic, I.
Speaker 4: Know, but they're like really tricky.
Speaker 6: You know, things about concepts that sometimes we move too fast and we just don't know, you know, and and uh in.
Speaker 4: When we are problem solving or even designing on app.
Speaker 6: And application, these things, you know, they these basic fundamental core things.
Speaker 4: They are important. You know, what kind of India structure I'm going to use to design this application?
Speaker 6: You know, there there are trade offs that you make and you need to understand that.
Speaker 3: Now. Yeah, I think the trade offs. Part of it. Being able to to start thinking that way.
Speaker 7: Is like a quality of like a more mature programmer, right, and that's sort of you know where I want to be. But going back to some of the things that I think help us learn, Like, so we do we don't just be like, okay, have you memorize this algorithm whatever, and you know the time space complexity, like well I'll write about write like every line about what each line the code does, why we would.
Speaker 3: Do it, why we might not do it.
Speaker 7: And then something else that we did was like he's like, okay, you know I was. I think I was having trouble like understanding something like pretty basic.
Speaker 3: It was like move zeros or whatever. So what right?
Speaker 7: What the exercise was was like, all right, build like a just like could visualize that app. And so I went and just built like a basic reapp that for moving zeros and going through that process like and having to enter crate that code into something with UI maybe really start to think about each step a little bit more and like sort of nail them. My thinking on different concepts. Another thing we do is we try to cluster problems together, so we're relating certain concepts or certain patterns to each other. So I guess we can just like make it easier to understand more complex problems that way. So it's not focusing in like Okay, this problem did this, this, and this. It's like, okay, we're moving something to the end of the array, we're deleting it. There's a certain there's a certain way that we can do this, right, So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we start to see the patterns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: How how problems connect. This is also really important in learning and being problems solving. When we're solving a problem, it's good to try to think of similar problems you sol will before, but.
Speaker 7: This really helps and also create new problems, like create a variation of a problem with the concept, right, write your own problems.
Speaker 3: That's that's very helpful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 1: So I want to back up and kind of go up a level here, which is kind of the question I was asking initially. So let's say Manny says, hey, you know, I want to get better at computer science concepts, right, and then maybe you have some back and forth and you figure out exactly, you know, what areas Manny needs to learn about. So thenoile, you're just you're putting exercises and other things into this trailler board, and then maybe you have discussions about what any of that means, and then you just kind of work through it and do evaluations and things like that. All you know, back and forth either through the trailler board or whatever other means you have for communicating. I mean, is that more or less what it looks like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so many.
Speaker 7: I mean it's I mean a lot of it's like here's some theory, here's some problems, review the theory.
Speaker 3: Do the problems, and then we'll talk about it. So it's a lot of it.
Speaker 7: It's still very self directed, I think, because that's like such an important skill as a developer, right, is being able to take something that you're not quite sure about, read about it, and be able to apply it to something new, right, And so I think we're reinforcing that skill a lot. That's just important to be able to grow as a developer. So I think that's generally how our flow is, right, and then we get together and we'll discuss the problems, and if I have an issue with something or a concept, then we'll communicate by notes on trello or things like that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there are strategies that he's learning to learn better. Okay, so there are scientific backup to learn better.
Speaker 6: For example, Uh, there is a thing in cognity science that's forgetting curve. We when we learn something, we start to forget it, you know, hours after it, and if we don't reinforce this learning, uh, we just end up just like not learning, just with a trace of memory. And there's another component that we use is anky. I don't know if you guys know Anky.
Speaker 4: It's an app.
Speaker 3: Mhm, I don't know that one.
Speaker 6: So ANKI has an augum that tried to combat this forgetting curve.
Speaker 4: And you've put information.
Speaker 6: In there, like let's suppose his learning a pattern in coding, and then uh, ANKI shows him from time to time and there is an ugo behind the case. It's not like random or oh okay, I'm going to review tomorrow or I don't know, one week from now. No, Ankie does this for your So Aankie will show you when you need to be.
Speaker 4: Reminded of that. So this gets into your long term memory.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you don't have to worry about so much about what you're going to study. You kind of can trust the algorithm it's like based off of the difficulty of the problem, it will show up Like say you said it was easy, right, it might show up again in seven days. If it's medium, it might show up in four. If it's hard, maybe it shows up in two days. And it's very hard, you might review it again in an hour. So by going through that, like it's algorithm that has it sort of prevents you from studying the same stuff that you're already good in and sort of tricking yourself into thinking that you're learning because you can already answer the easy stuff, and sort of forces you to deal with the harder problems that you know that you're not that you think are hard, which I think is super important not to waste time.
Speaker 1: So what was the name of that app?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: Many A and K.
Speaker 3: I have to sure that. Yeah, it's pretty big in Brazils as you.
Speaker 1: Will last cards okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there are many types of cards.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can typing so for coding is great, and there are variations of cards and ways.
Speaker 4: To to study there.
Speaker 6: So also you know, like uh inside thanking, there are more effective ways to to learn to you know, like you start to drill down on learning and there are many strategies that are very interesting. Uh and as many were saying here in Brazil, the educational system is very focused on testing. So this I think ends up making uh people you know, students and also uh of investing new ways to to learn for testing, you know, and to combint this kind of effects like uh uh forgetting foods, to forget something. And I think this also was an important component in my journey too to teach.
Speaker 1: You a j Do you have anything else you want to dive into? Because I've got more questions, but I'm gonna change direction again.
Speaker 2: No right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, So so I guess the next question is and I don't know. Well, I'll just ask the question instead of, you know, giving all the caveats and background. So let's say that somebody is newish or maybe they're you know, they're feeling stuck like Manny was right, It's okay, I'm I can do my job, but I want to get better. How do you go about finding a mentor?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean you use code mentor, but yeah, how do you how do you decide whether it's code mentor or something else? How do you find somebody? And how do you decide that they're a good fit for you.
Speaker 6: Okay, I will give my answer, and I think it's interesting to too many also to give his answer. I think it is kind of an open problem that needs to be solid more effectively. There are platforms like code mentor, but as many Uh said, there are people who don't actually have so much experience in mentoring or teaching, so they end up doing like giving him like a true advanced concept to learn and he was not prepared. So yeah, as I said, yeah, there is not like a reculpe, you know that.
Speaker 4: Okay, just follow these steps like an outgo that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So for me looking for someone, I I know, I was looking for a long term mentorship, someone who would be willing to like go deep with me into problems and work with me through like my struggles and not like write me off like just because like I wasn't great at something the first time we did it.
Speaker 3: So that's what I was looking for. And I was, you know, interviewing people.
Speaker 7: I was like, look, I'm paying money for this, like I'm gonna get somebody I want, right, So I you know, I think I got super lucky because Juan was the second person I worked with and the first person was just like not I could tell they didn't care about like my progress, right, they just were there to collect their money and teach me something and then whatever. Right, I mean, that's the feeling that I got, like, I don't want to work with this person. It's not worth my time or my money.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like you knew what you wanted, which I think is kind of the first step. And so yeah, so then you decided what I don't know if we got into this, but what made you decide to go to code mentor as opposed to I don't know, go into users group or.
Speaker 7: You find another because that's the only only thing that I knew, Okay, I didn't know like anywhere else to find anybody.
Speaker 1: On the other end, you know, let's say that somebody is put in a position where they're they are mentoring, right, maybe not by choice, right, So they don't go to code mentor and say, hey, make me a mentor, but they're you know, maybe they have some junior programmer at work that they need to help bring along or something like that. What recommendations do you have on the other end to be a good mentor to them?
Speaker 6: Well, first, have a structure you know, like try to develop a plan and talk to your maintee and see what he thinks. It thins to be very personalized. So also monitor the progress. Have some kind of system to to manage uh serving tea as such as a kenban board h.
Speaker 4: And give him exercises. This is really important.
Speaker 6: Have like great high quality content to give him to study, you know, like future the content two to make him be able to to learn the concepts.
Speaker 4: And have like regular feedback.
Speaker 6: Have excellent communication, you know, open, have an open communication with serving team.
Speaker 4: And basically I would say these components sounds good.
Speaker 1: I'm curious now that you've mentioned this. You know, have have content for them to go check out things like that, do you? I'm just because there's new stuff coming out all the time. Maybe it's not something that I've studied for a while. I mean I know it and I use it, but I don't you know, So are you going and finding some of this stuff on the fly, right, and then it's like okay, this this this is what I need him to be able to right, so then you evaluate it and give it out or do you have like a list of resources that you like to just send people to MM hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, both happens.
Speaker 6: Some of the things are created because I have been there before and I know that it's good quality.
Speaker 4: And I can share with him.
Speaker 6: But sometimes it's such a specific topic you know that I need to filter and I try to find the content, or if it's something that I can't find, I in the meeting on the lessons that we need do together, I try to teach him.
Speaker 4: One think that I also like is the when mantoring you all this.
Speaker 6: The socratic methods, you know, like asking questions when he's doing like a problem instead of like giving him the answer, asking questions for him to try to find the answer by himself.
Speaker 4: It is important also.
Speaker 7: Right, I think the most important thing, like if somebody wants to really get serious mentorship, I think you really have to first like understand that the person who's mentoring you is like giving you their time, and be respectful of that and do what they've suggested that you do and be you know, no matter how good the curriculum might be, or how many problems or how awesome Joe might be at teaching others, like, it's up.
Speaker 3: To me to get better.
Speaker 7: Right, I have to put in the work, and I have to work through difficult things and I get as much out of it as I put into it. And then that's so important if somebody's not ready to like really do that and make it like a priority in their life. Like for example, like I, you know, I get up, go to work eight five, eight to six, go to the gym after work, and get home at like seven thirty. I'm using a bed by ten. I got two and a half hours to do stuff. And you know, I can say, all right, I can sit here and fill around on my phone for two hours, or I can spend the rest of the night like doing like spending the time I can to learn. Those are some sacrifices that you have to be able to make too. Is like managing your time and putting in the effort. It's so important.
Speaker 6: Yeahs Indeed, many is almost an outlier in that he is motivated and put some lot of effort. As I said, I I have helped many people from the world, you know, and there is a spectrum of of how how the.
Speaker 4: Men tis behave and he's in great you know.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: So that's when that's another thing that I'm wondering about. And this is something that I'm trying to get into with JavaScript geniuses or you know, some of the other coaching programs that I have. Is the time management things like that. Do you help him with that, victor or is that something that Manny's kind of done on his own.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: I sometimes if I see that he's struggling with that, like he was spending too much time on a problem, like almost the whole week with just a problem. And then I said to him, no, we have more things to cover, and so let us set a lit of the time you spend doing a problem.
Speaker 4: Okay, uh so we said half an hour to one hour trying to to.
Speaker 6: Solve this particular problem. And if he can, he just moves to the next problem.
Speaker 4: So yes, and.
Speaker 7: Then I might come back to the next day. But also in that process, like, so this is super important I think you you know, and being able to measure like success like in a mentorship, as like someone being mentored, you have to really be willing to like the goal is like to be great, right, I mean, that's that's actually my goal, to be like one of the best in my profession.
Speaker 3: That's generally my goal in anything that I do. But like where am I at right now? Am I there.
Speaker 7: No, Like it's going to take a while, right, It's not easy. So like I say, where am I at compared to what where I was when I start? And I look back, I'm like, you know, wow, like look at what I didn't even know back then and what I can do today.
Speaker 3: And that helps keep me motivated.
Speaker 7: So it's even within solving a problem if I can't get the answer right the first time, if I can get the majority of it, like a super hard problem right, and it's just some small thing I could say, you know, three months ago, I wouldn't even know what to do with this now, I you know, So measuring like your own success like incrementally is super important to keep so you keep going, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, makes sense. I think the other end of this though is and and this is something that I'm trying to encourage people to do too, is just it's like, look, you know, you have your full time job, or maybe maybe you don't, right, maybe you're between jobs, or maybe you're you know, a contractor and you have a thirty hour whatever, right, but you have your work, and so then it's you're doing this outside of work, right, You're doing this is as as an effort to become better. But yeah, your your employer isn't paying you for your the time you put in on this stuff. So my question to you, manny, is how do you manage that time? Like, how do you how do you figure out how to fit that in? And is that something that Joau helped you with as part of the mentorship or is that something that you've just always done or been good at or a pro in that way.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say that I've necessarily always been good at it. But so when we started doing this, I really started to look at my time, right, And it's basically just saying, Okay, if I really want to do this, like what's more important to me right coming home and goofing around and watching TV or going out or like is getting better and more important?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: So it's really about priorities and where what I make most important right and right now the things that I make most important for the time that I have are like my physical.
Speaker 3: Health and learning. Right.
Speaker 7: So it's it's really just sort of like making that decision and say this is what I'm going to make most important in.
Speaker 3: My life and right you know, believing that success.
Speaker 6: Just saying an interesting thing that I just remember is that learning is also a great I mean for an organization making poise to learn, you know, getting opportunities to learn is a great mechanism for retention to keeping poise.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely So, So what's your trick then, Manny? I'm curious how do you decide when you're going to do this work and how do you make it fit in? Because and I don't know what your situation is. We didn't talk about this at all, you know, leading in you know, whether you're you have kids or because I wind up my wife has a job, right, I have five kids. You know, my eighteen year old doesn't have his driver's license. My seventeen year old is getting hers, right, but that means I have to drive her to and from the driver's license stuff. You know. My fifteen year old has stuff going on, and so I'm driving them around. I'm doing all this other extra stuff, right, So, so how do you and I have my own ways of doing this, But I'm curious what your solution is, right, So, given where you're at with your life, how do you make it fit with everything else that you may be doing?
Speaker 7: So fortunately I don't that's unfortunate right now, Like I don't have like any other responsibilities but to myself, so I can be selfish with my time and so part of that, like, you know, I've been divorced for a couple of years now, and I've thought about, like you know, looking for the relationships, and I've dated a little bit, but like right now, like I make that kind of that sacrifice in terms of like, Okay, I know I don't necessarily have the time for someone else, so if I'm going to get where I want to be, I sort of have to like take this time to be a little selfish in my time. And maybe doesn't sound like the best way to live, but it's something I'm doing right now, you know, because I am fortunate enough to have the time that I have, you know, after work to do it, and I could be consistent, especially on the weekends, I get a lot of stuff done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to make a comment also about that I have a major, Like, uh, you know, dads and and people who have families and uh, it's of course their time is shorter.
Speaker 4: But the thing is is better to you know, space your time.
Speaker 6: You know, if you can study just a little bit every day, it's better than just grab everything in one day.
Speaker 4: So consistency and discipline it's very important.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter if you have like a lot of stuff with family or whatever. If you can spread things and have discipline, you're into progress through.
Speaker 8: So yeah, of course, well yeah, I want to ask a question about that too, because I've I've heard the opposite, and now that's how I tend to feel, is that rather than having consistent do something every day to just binge but semi consistently, like you know, binge once a week or something like that, where you just go all in, really focus, get into get into flow, rather than just doing little bits here and there, get into flow or I'm actually working through you know, a full project or anyway. So I've heard people say that that approach, and I think it maybe it's more the ADHD community that says that, because we're terrible at consistency of any kind, Like we don't even know what day of the week it is, or time it is, or what's going on. We we have the now versus not now brain and if it's now, we're binging on it, and if it's not now, we'll do it sometime.
Speaker 2: But what are your what are your thoughts on that. Do you have to pushback on that?
Speaker 8: Do you think like, no, we really would be better off with the consistency and smaller chunks or what.
Speaker 6: Yes, this strategy may work for some scenarios, but it's more for short term and we're working here for long term. So you can crab and learn, but then like fifteen days later, you forgot almost all you know, like a lot of things. But when you spread things, do you because of reinforcement learning this is also a.
Speaker 4: Concept in earchici intevidence.
Speaker 6: When you reinforce something, you also reinforce your sign apses, right, and because there's actually physical learning is physical, you know, if you look at your brain.
Speaker 4: You can see that.
Speaker 6: So by it spreading out, you keep reinforcing the concepts and then you learn for long term. But if you have like some tests, you know, like and it's near and you have to learn and you have just a a short amount of time, then cramming might work.
Speaker 4: So it depends off the scenario.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I do understand that flow aspect of it. When I can spend like on Saturday, it's like my most free day, when I could spend like three or four hours like uninterrupted, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Get way more doing.
Speaker 7: I have way more progress if I could do that every single day, Like if I could binge every day, I would like But like that, I think the thing about the consistency part is is it's important to not like just because things aren't perfect, Like I can't do what I wanted every day, doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do something. And I think that's where the consistency comes in, is like working through a process and showing up even when it's not perfect, right, Like it's not the ideal situation because it never really will be because life is life. And then you know, take advantage of the times when I can do more, but never stop doing something because I can't do it exactly the way that I want.
Speaker 9: Yeah, good, Oh, yes, it was way to say.
Speaker 6: Just I'll compare yourself with others, you know, like, oh many can study like.
Speaker 4: Three hours a day. Oh I can't. Sorry what we mean to try? You know, you have to compare yourself with yourself. Your promise also important aspects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to jump in because I think as we talk through this and I'm trying, I'm scrolling through Audible on my phone because there's a book that I read that kind of outlines the way that I approach things. And there are a few ways that I deal with this. One of them is is that I get up earlier than the rest of my family. Right, So we get up at six, We read scriptures, We get the kids dressed and ready to go to school, you know, depending on what's going on with my wife and her job. Because my wife works at the school that my two younger kids attend, and so if she had to go in at four, because she's the she's the lunch director there. So if she gets a food delivery, she doesn't take the kids. But otherwise, you know, she'll she'll take them with her if she's leaving at like five point thirty or something. Anyway, So that's kind of how the morning goes. But what I do for a lot of this stuff, and it's the same thing for working out or the other stuff that I do. Right, So I'll get up at five and go for a run, and then I'll come back and you know, I read ten pages every day. That's the seventy five hard thing. But for the rest of it, you know, so AJ's talking about, you know, sometimes it helps just to be able to you know, kind of binge into some of this stuff, and sometimes all you can get is like ten minutes to just pick up a concept. And I think both of those are effective. I think the more often and more time you put into immersing yourself in this stuff, the better off you are, because it'll help you retain it. It helps you kind of get back into the mode of learning this stuff. And anyway, the I'll find the book and I'll put a link up to it.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: Basically what they recommend is, oh, that's what it's called. It's called the twelve Week Gear is the book, and I didn't find it in here. It just kind of came into my head. Anyway. It's a twelve week year, and they have a system for this where you put up like a three or four hour block. You have a few of those every week that you plan in, right, and so if you have to do work, a lot of times you're planning that three or four hour block to just do work, right, but you could plan that into I need to learn this concept, I need to master this thing, and so you could put that in and it's the same idea, right, in order to be able to get real progress, sometimes you need that the other ones. That are the other things that are in there that I really like. One of them is a weekly accountability call or weekly accountability meeting. They call it a WHAM meeting. And so what you do is you commit to what you're going to do for the week every week and or WHAM call, and then you you went in the next SAM call, you report on what you said you were going to do, and then you make new commitments. And for me, it kills me off when I say, oh, I said I was going to do these three things and I only did one, and you're only given enough time to say whether or not you did it. You're not given enough time to say and it was because my kids this, and my wife this, and you know ye of this, and so I didn't do it. No, it's just no, I didn't do it. And yeah, anyway, And I think that's part of the nice thing about having a mentor or somebody to go to too, is you have that level of accountability. Well did you do it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well what are we going to do to make sure you're doing it right? Because yeah, otherwise it's a waste of money. Yeah, anyway, I want to I want to go into just a little bit of this other stuff. So you know, it says mentoring, friendship, and personal growth. So you know, it sounds like this started out as a mentorship relationship and it sounds like now you guys are like good friends. How does that affect things? Like, how does that change the situation?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so it changes it a lot.
Speaker 7: So, I mean, Juul and I have the unique experience of like living in two different countries but meeting and this kind of goes.
Speaker 3: To the friendship part. So back in uh, my dad.
Speaker 7: Married a Brazilian when he lived in a town called Salto, and in June he had gotten sick with some lung issues and then in July he actually passed unfortunately passed away, and yeah, it was it was a tough time.
Speaker 3: And that's actually when we were able to meet because I.
Speaker 7: Went down to Brazil for the funeral and then Joel came over to my house down there and had like coffee with me and my mom down there, and like we all kind of bonded in that way and it was great to have a friend and also be able to communicate that because I think it was pretty soon like after we started the mentor stuff that like with my dad got sick, right, and he was sick for about a month I think.
Speaker 3: And we still met and pushed through that time. And I'm really glad.
Speaker 7: That that I had someone there to keep me accountable, because that would be the time where I would be most likely to like be like I can't handle this.
Speaker 3: But actually it gave me some solace and some focus and purpose.
Speaker 7: To keep going and and even sort of think about, like, I'm doing this for my dad. In some ways, I know that he would, you know, be proud that I was taking these steps, right, So yes, I.
Speaker 4: Think both the friendship for us, it helped us our collection stronger. But you have to keep it professional, right.
Speaker 6: It's not because he's my friend that he can like slack, you know, on things and would make it his life easier.
Speaker 9: No, I'm going to actually make it even harder. And all that I like him, so I think that's an important aspect of you.
Speaker 3: There's a level of trust there too.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think we actually have pretty similar personalities and we think about things the same, so when we communicate, it's it's pretty easy. I think we both listen to each other fairly well, which makes it nice and like genuinely care about each other, so it's not just transactional.
Speaker 3: It's actually like we're in this together.
Speaker 7: Let's learn from each other, become better people, better friends. And that's like super motivating. Like I don't want to, you know, let it well down because he is my friend, you know, like there's that built in like yeah, no, I'm not going to just like disappear.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So as far as the personal growth thing goes, then I mean, is this because it says mentorship, mentoring and personal growth, mentoring, friendship and personal growth, we're kind of the ideas we were talking about. I think we talked a lot about the personal growth as part of the mentoring, But is there anything else to that beyond your mentorship and friendship relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think one of the interesting things that we do in our mentorship for.
Speaker 4: Related to coding, is our approach to solving problems.
Speaker 6: You know. So we have like a structure that we based on Paulia. He was a famous mathematician and educator, and he had like four step procedure to solve problems, and we we frame usually when we are doing like bit code, it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Exercise.
Speaker 6: First we try to I tried to make him deeply understand the problem. Okay, so think about the input the output, about the restrictions. Uh, try to make analogies. Try to, as I said before, think of similar problems so that you truly understand. Then the next step.
Speaker 4: We need to create a plan to solve.
Speaker 6: Then you can like make like like Selo code you know, in the system. But you don't need to start like coding. Just write some comments. Okay, I have to create like I have to use a hatchmap.
Speaker 4: Then I have to do like some kind of loop. And then you and then you.
Speaker 6: After that you start coding, and then you review what you did to actually if you didn't make any flaws and and gags. And so I also think that it's some interesting for the listeners.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think doing it that way. The coding is actually the easy part. Once you kind of figure out how to solve the problem, you can write it out. It's like, okay, I just need to write the code that does this, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Paolia has a book. I have it here, It's how to Solve It. It's a great book.
Speaker 1: Oh nice. I'm wondering if that's on Amazon or something. Who's the author it's.
Speaker 4: Uh, George Podia. It's on Amazon.
Speaker 6: It's a very famous book and its inspired many programmers, like famous programmers like Donald Knouf.
Speaker 1: You know, right, so it's is it a programming book or.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's a problem solving book. But it was a mathematician.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, oh yeah, or by John Conway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: John Connor was also a famous computer scientist. He created the game of Life.
Speaker 1: Game of Life. Yeah, yeah, all right, I'm going to put an Amazon affiliate link into the comments on various string platforms. But yeah, it was definitely easy to find. All right, Well, is there anything else that we want to dive into? I think this was really just fascinating to get into as far as the you know, how to find a mentor what to expect, how to work through it, how to kind of get what you want? But yeah, is there anything else that people ought to know.
Speaker 4: About maintaing problem solving general? Yeah, there are a lot of things that we could talk.
Speaker 6: The show has a time limit, right, but this is, like you said, a fascinating topic.
Speaker 4: I can keep talking about this like for many hours, and there are.
Speaker 6: A lot of intersections with AI and and how especially general TV. I you know how how large language model learns and.
Speaker 4: How human humans learn.
Speaker 6: Like we we just need a few examples to learn, right, Man, he can like if he like three exercise, then he can general generalize this to new problems. But a large language model needs to see like medium and solt examples. So AI still has this limitation over our type of learning.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, I think it'd be interesting to come back in a year and see where we're at actually from from this point on, and.
Speaker 3: See where where the growth is what we're working on.
Speaker 7: Hopefully not the same exact stuff, but you know, well, we'll see, right, Let's see how things go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how long have you guys been working together?
Speaker 3: I think April the beginning of April. Okay, So all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, I'm meant let's go ahead and roll into the picks section of the show, and picks is just shout outs about whatever. So I'll go ahead and let AJ go first. I am kind of considering before we do this, limiting everybody to just a couple of minutes, So just kind of say what you're picking and give a really brief summary as to why. I've had a few people get back to me saying that some of the picks are long winded, and I'm gonna let Dan and Steve know that as well. But yeah, just just let people know what cool stuff's out there, and then if they want to know more, they can go check it out themselves. But anyway, AJ, what are your picks?
Speaker 8: Well, not the people that don't like my long winded raids. So Apple earbuds, the three point five millimeter earbuds are absolutely magical and I don't understand why no one else has made anything like them. It seems like it's it's it seems like a commodity product that'd be super simple. There's nothing particularly special about them, despite the fact that they call them magical. I mean, they're just they're just like the normal earbuds we had in the nineties, except with a better shape and without and not not the silicon ones that actually you have to stick in your ear, but they just fit in your ear more nicely, and they have, you know, the like the bare minimum speakers that you need for quality.
Speaker 2: I don't think that they're, you know, anything.
Speaker 8: Super special, But anyway, Apple of course no longer sells them. They moved on to the lightning connector, and now they're moving on to the USBC connector, and I'm sure they just like to get rid of them entirely, because why I sell one someone a product that costs five dollars that you sell for thirty when you can sell them a product that costs ten dollars and you sell for three hundred. But I I I'm stocking up on them, getting on eBay and I'm getting all I can because you know, eventually, after several years they break. And so I've bought probably ten pair over the years, and I'm gonna buy another ten more. I'm gonna get them all because I just I just love them. They're simple, they sound good, they fit in the ear nicely, and I don't I don't like these the wireless ones, you know, the volumes never there, the ones that have the silicone tips. It just kind of feels weird. So Apple, the old school Apple ear pods, yeah, ear pods after ear buds, ear pods. And then the other thing while I'm fanboying out on Apple is swift you. I. I wish that we had a framework like swift you I. It seems like swift you I is what react people think that they're doing. You know, like if you hear the words like if I was to listen to the conference talk with my eyes closed, it sounds like they're talking about React declarative, UI, don't worry about state updates. I've never met a React developers. It's not totally bogged down with bugs and state up updates. But swift you I and again I don't. I mean, I'm looking at a conference talk, but it's so it looks so clean, and I'm gonna GPT and me, we're gonna we're gonna build an app together. I'm gonna do it. I finally got past the Hello world. Every time I've ever opened x code, there's always some problem.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 8: It's overwhelming, with like six million menus and no clear path to like which one is the one I do to do the thing. But I'm watching some conference talks at Apple, and I find I because the way that I have GET configured with SSH keys and some other things that it like failed the initialization process.
Speaker 2: But I I fixed that.
Speaker 8: I had to add a manual path to GPG and I had to use a special option with get for the Apple keychain. But anyway, I got past that. Found out that the reason that the app doesn't build is that if you don't have an app icon specified, you don't get an error message like your app icon is wrong. Well, if you have none at all, then it works fine. But if you add an app app icon but it's there's something wrong about it, you don't get an air message like your app icon was wrong. You just get failed to build assets, don't compile. I got past that. Now I got the Hello World running, so my first iOS app.
Speaker 1: All right, end rave a good deal. I'm gonna jump in here with a couple of picks. I'm going to start out. I always do a board game pick. The pick I'm going to do this time is Biblios Biblios card game. Let me look up the board game geek Weight here real quick. But basically, what you're doing is you get five cards in front of you. You get to keep one, you get to put one into the auction pile, and then you flip the other three over and or how yeah, however many other players there are, you flip that many over and they get to pick one in turn. Essentially, what you're trying to do is you're trying and their dice, so some of the cards let you change the number on the dice. And the number on top of the dice that you win give you the points, and you're trying to get the most points at the end of the game, and so effectively, what you're trying to do is you're trying to make sure that you have more of whatever color than anyone else so that you can win the die that color die. And there are three of them that have I think eleven cards, and then there are two of them that have like twenty five cards, and so anyway, you have to have at least thirteen or at least six to guarantee that you have the most. But you know, if there's a multiplicity of people having that color cards, then you have to have as many. So that's kind of the game. Thirty minutes board game weight one point six y' eight, which means casual gamers are likely able to enjoy this game and not get bogged down in the complexity. Anyway, it was a fun game. Played it with my buddies on Wednesday, which is when I get together for that. So I'm going to pick that a couple of other things that I am getting into or enjoying. One of them is I went to the doctor and it turns out that my blood sugger's high. Again. I'm diabetic, for those who don't know. And in the past I've had to test my blood sugger by pricking my finger and then bleeding on a test strip. And this time the doctor actually prescribed me. And I'm wearing a sweatshirt otherwise i'd show you on camera. But I've got this little thing on my arm that just continuously monitors my blood sugar. It's Lee Bray three is the type. I can't remember the brand anyway, It's awesome. It's been really nice because then I can just I eat something and then I can see what it does to my blood shiger, which is cool. So I'm going to pick that. And then lastly, with my workouts, I've been using training Peaks with my garment watch. And what training Peaks does is you can put your workouts in. What I've done is you can buy training plans, and so I have a training plan in there for running, so I can go and do a marathon, and I just put a marathon data in for marathon I want to go run. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to go run that marathon, just because money's been tight. I'm between contracts right now, and so I'm not sure that I want to spend the money to travel or register for the race, which is like one hundred bucks. So I might just run. There's a trail, a running trail behind my house that runs down toward the lake and then all the way up into Salt Lake, and so I might just run my own marathon. But anyway, training Peaks is terrific, and so I just put the training program in and then I just do whatever my system says to do. And I just barely added a weightlifting one. And it's all bodyweight stuff, right, because again I'm as much as I love going to the gym and as much as I hate the crowds at the gym, again, you know, I'm just cutting anything of to spend. So this is all bodyweight exercises, right. It's squats, push ups, pull ups and anyway, So the marathon planning that cost me like forty or fifty bucks several years ago, the weightlifting plan cost me twenty bucks when I bought it. And so I just plug it in and I just do whatever it says to do. And the only equipment that it requires you to have is you have to have essentially a stop watch, so you know how long because you rest thirty seconds between each set and a pull up bar, which I already have. So anyway, that's the stuff. And then go check out JavaScript geniuses dot com. Manny, what are your picks?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So for a book, one of my favorite musicians is Jocko Pastorius, any bass player, and and there's a book called The Extraordinary and Tragic like Life of Joco Pastorius.
Speaker 3: He's someone who died.
Speaker 7: I think like an eighty six, but he had like a tremendous influence on the electric bass guitar and just where like music was heading at that point. And it's just a fascinating story about like how crazy his life was and how short it was. So I recommend that book if anybody's interested in maybe not as well known musician that you're interested in knowing the life about. There is another book I've been reading called Heaven and Hell, and it's about the development of the concept of the afterlife and how it has sort of changed like throughout throughout history where it comes from, like looking out through the loads of different cultures. I kind of got into that because, you know, my dad just passed away, so I've been thinking about a lot about that, and then.
Speaker 3: I guess I recommend a video game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's been recommended, but Balder's Gate three.
Speaker 3: I still play that. It's probably one of my favorite games of all time.
Speaker 1: Isn't that an older game?
Speaker 3: No, it's new. It came out last year.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's fantastic, so that's it cool?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: What are your Yeah? Okay? For productivity of cursor ide and also that yeah, it's interesting. It can h hangle multiple files.
Speaker 6: It's greats and bats of the files, and then it can search and generate code at different files.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting idea. I think it's.
Speaker 6: Fun to play with AUH for productivity. And the second one is Perplexed AI. It's also an interesting app that mixed search with generative AI. Because Generative I has this problem of obscenation right inventing things uh and perplex it tries to solve it with giving sources of the information made and for learning. I recommend ANKI. I think it's great. Also, there's a book that's called The ABCS of How We Learn.
Speaker 4: It's from a Stanford but for the general public.
Speaker 6: It's also great as twenty six scientific proven strategies to learn.
Speaker 4: What else and out and for coding bitcode.
Speaker 6: I think it's great to test yourself to make you get out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 1: And I think that's it awesome on the link code pick. I'm just going to throw it out. There are our episode from last week that we recorded. We recorded, I think it was last week May. It might have been two weeks ago, but we recorded with Elite Code meetup in New York where they talk about how how to figure out the solutions to leak code and and yeah they get together and yeah make themselves better at this stuff. So anyway, if you're looking for that, just go look an episode or two back. All right. If people want to check in with you guys or connect in some way, how did they find you online? Manny? Why don't you go first? Again?
Speaker 7: Well, you won't find me on social media because, like I withdrew from that a couple of years ago, but I still do use email, and so you can reach me at Manny.
Speaker 3: It's my first name, Imman and why dot Hagman h G M A N at gmail dot com. That's the best way to get in touch with me, the only way about usual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can find me on code maintor or we can just search my name and also always miss dot.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Yeah, while we were talking, I signed up on code mentor so.
Speaker 2: Cool. All right, same actually you what I said? Same? Actually I was checking it out. I apparently already had an account from some.
Speaker 8: Years ago, but never never actually uh got past the welcome all right.
Speaker 2: Good deal?
Speaker 1: All right, well we'll go ahead and wrap it up here until next time, folks.
Speaker 3: Thanks out