Speaker 1: Life not easy.
Speaker 2: That easy. You can't trust doc disease that every all mixed up. You can think my proctologist used to be a photographer. Hey, he took X ray told me to bend over and say cheese.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joey Angelfield.
Speaker 1: Producer engineer Mike Tomrn is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Javareem Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey. If there was ever a comedian who surpassed the one liner prowess of Henny young Man, it was Rodney Dangerfield, the disheveled, bug eyed curmudgeon who got no respect.
Speaker 3: We're happy to talk again with Michael Seth Starr, a prolific biographer whose books include Nothing Comes Easy The Life of Rodney Dangerfield. Michael, welcome back to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Great to be back, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: How did you first become aware of Rodney Dangerfield and what were your first impressions, it was the Tonight Show, tell you.
Speaker 2: The Truth on my wife, what I would never have secon now we got undressed. We can't stop laughing.
Speaker 4: I was probably, you know, in my early teens at that point and saw him with Johnny Carson and was just amazed at I thought Rickles, with his rapid fire delivery was was was, you know, one of a kind. But the dangerfield was right up there with him. I mean, just one after another one liners. One liner is very self deprecating, unlike Don Rickles, and and always his humor was was directed at himself sexual situation sometimes, but it was always with him as the loser.
Speaker 2: I got no sex life. Ten years ago, my put me on hold.
Speaker 4: And I was just amazed at how quick quickly his mind were and any anything that Carson brought up with him, he had a he had a joke for and and if it didn't hit, he had, you know, he would come up with something else. You know, five seconds later. His whole demeanor was you know, as you mentioned, bug eyed, and he was like moving around and he was mopping his brow and you know, I'll tell you know, it was fixing his tie. It was just something I'd never seen before, and he wasn't your typical stand up comedian at that time. It would just, you know, even on the Tonight Show, would come out, you know and just sort of stand stock still and look around. He was always in motion, herky, jerky and just obviously loving what he was doing. And Carson also was was you know, would fall off his chair laughing and again, like like Don Rickles, he was one of Carson's favorite guests on the Tonight Show.
Speaker 1: I was watching a lot of clips of him in preparation for this Inner You and You're right like rapid fire. He memorized so many of his jokes. It's kind of amazing. He had a joke for everything. As you're saying, I started to think that maybe that herky jerkiness between jokes that's ever so subtle might have been like him thinking about the next joke.
Speaker 4: He was ready for any situation, and he would sort of map them out on a board as to when he would tell what joke jokes he would tell when he when he came out to do a stand up jokes he would tell when he sat down on the couch before Johnny spoke to him, and then jokes he would tell as Johnny as the conversation began, So he did. So I can see that, as you say, Jonathan, that he he could could have been thinking about the next thing, but he did have it in his own mind, sort of worked out how he was going to come across, and he took it. He took it very seriously, particularly the Tonight Show. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think even to this day that's really the highlight reel is primarily from the Tonight Show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not surprising that surprising.
Speaker 1: Dangerfield's perseverance stood out to you while you were researching the book. How did he finally break out in his forties?
Speaker 4: I think perseverance is the perfect way to describe him. We can get into this a little bit more in depth, but you know, he started out as a sort of a stand up comics Slash MC and the Cat Skills, and then he came to New York, he had changed his name. He basically was a stand up comic from roughly nineteen forty to nineteen fifty and it never quite worked out for him in that phase of his career. And he had gotten married around nineteen fifty to a singer named Joyce Indig, who he met in the clubs, and I think he realized at that point his career was sort of he was sort of in neutral as a comic in an MC. He got some write ups, but not many. He maybe made a couple of hundred bucks on the weekend, always writing jokes. But he decided to completely shift gears, drop out of show business and for the next decade, from the ninth from about ran nineteen fifty to fifty one to the early sixties, he became a paint and the luminium siding salesman a year in northern New Jersey and not far from where I live actually. And but he so perseverance in the sense that he oh, he even when he was selling paint, which he called the color his his quot was, you know, it's very was a very colorless business, and and we was selling aluminum siding. He was a He was a funny salesman, but he was he kept on writing jokes. He was contented. Even when he wasn't on stage performing, he was writing jokes. So I think he always had it in the back of his mind that if the businessman life did not work out, he would return to the clubs. And that is exactly what he did in nineteen sixty sixty one, still working his day job, but east himself back before live audiences in small to medium sized clubs in the New York area for the most part, in that early second phase of his career.
Speaker 1: You have some great pictures of him as a younger, kind of failed comic in the book as well, where he looks pretty conventional, almost dapper. And then maybe it took the aluminum siding and the you know, being a working man to sort of reinvent himself as the working man's comic, because he's very authentic in the way that he presents himself as a disheveled every man who's you know, kind of miserable.
Speaker 4: There was sort of the early shots of him when he was known as Jack Roy, which we'll talk about. You know, yeah, there was sort of like you know, posed glamour shots. You know, his hair was slicked back, and you know, you know, he was a handsome guy, and you know he was, you know, the one of those looking like that and the typical glossies that you had that that entertainers, singers, dancers, comics at that point had to hitch themselves around and and and his his image certainly changed when he when he when he came back the second time around, when he went from Jack Roy to Rodney Dangerfield, his mode of dress changed, and his whole his whole physical milieu, I guess is what you could call it, was adapted to that persona uh you know, and and that on stage personality.
Speaker 3: Enjoying the show click like and subscribe. Dangerfield was chronically miserable adding authenticity to his self deprecating jokes. Was that a secret to a success?
Speaker 4: I think so. He had a very very unhappy childhood. His fire was a vaudevillian Phil Cohen, but he took the stage name of Phil Roy and he he toured the vaudeville circuit with his brother, Rodney's uncle, and they called themselves Roy and Arthur, and they were they were actually fair to middlingly successful as a vaudeville team. They met Charlie Chaplin and they performed some big names. But that being said, Rodney never he was Rodney was born Jacob Cohen. Jacob never saw his father, He saw him maybe twice a year. That his father was always on the road. Didn't have the greatest marriage with Rodney's mother, who was a very very cold woman didn't show Rodney really any love or attention, so he really was on his own. I mean, he he, he. There's some quotes from him in the book where he talks about seeing his father for maybe two hours, you know, for a visit once a year or twice a year, and they did go to maybe to Coney Island or into Manhattan. His father would buy him an ice cream, but they didn't talk much. So he didn't really have a father. And his mother was not the stereotypical Jewish mother doating on him and smothering him and both during his career.
Speaker 1: She was.
Speaker 4: The complete opposite of that very very cold woman. They had a very icy relationship. So he was on his own, and I think he used comedy just as sort of an escape outlet for his pretty miserable childhood. I mean, it wasn't it wasn't miserable in the fact that they were dirt poor or he didn't have a roofover said he did, but there was no love there, and I think he was sort of always looking for that love through his life. Throughout his life, and I think he found the love that he needed from an audience and from performing in front of people and a live audience when they gave him the love that he didn't get from his parents. And he was an only child, so he didn't have any siblings, and yeah, I'm sorry, I take that back. You had an older sister. I'm sorry. I had an older sister who he was not close to, so even that he didn't really have a relationship. She was four or five years older than he was. So I think he found his true calling on stage and the love that he needed he found by getting laughs through with an audience. I mean, the fact that we're talking about Rodney Yingelfield today just a testament to how popular he remains to this day, and how popular he was in his time, and how he even though he was an older comic, he appealed to it's funny, it's interesting, interesting dynamic. We appealed to a young audience as well as people his own age was. He came up in a time of rebelliousness, and his comedy was sort of he was sort of a comedy somebody wanted. Somebody in the book I don't forget who it was, labeled him as a rock and roll comic. Like the first he was. He was a rebel in his own way, and Uh sort of an icon to a generation at a time when you would think an older man, UH, an older white guy coming up as a stand up comic who was nearing fifty, would be considered an anachronism, but he was. It was the exact opposite. He was like a breath of fresh air. And because he was doing things on stage and talking about things, and his delivery and his one liners were just so brilliant that it was just like wow, Like where did this guy come from? You know? And that's kind of like it was almost like where this guy come from? Because he wasn't well known before what he really did hit big on the Ed Sullivan Show. He really was almost you know, that overnight success story. That one appearance in nineteen sixty seven put him on the road to start him.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you're mentioning his rebelliousness because on the one hand, he was hip and rock and roll and all this things you're saying. But also one of the reasons why I think other comics couldn't really imitate him is that his format, his medium was actually very old fashioned. The one liner, which was not what comics were doing in the stream of consciousness, you know, seventies and eighties and all that sort of thing. So he was kind of like a throwback and a throw forward at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, it's a good point. I mean, yes, he was the sort of the penultimate stand up comic. He was up there, you know, fire and off lines left and right. Unlike Rickles, who didn't tell joke but just picked on, you know, picked on people in the audience and and and picked on Johnny Carson whoever he was with, Ron didn't really do that. I mean, he he he he. He was sort of like a Henny young Man on on on acid. You know. It's like with these one liners that you figure, wow, you know I was when I was born, I was so that I was the doctors. The doctor slapped my mother, then he slapped the nurse a good measure. You know. I'm not in Rodney's voice, you know, but uh, just these these he would paint these pictures. And I talked about this a little bit in the book, like he knew he only had like a certain number of lines to sort of make a little story out of something, and and you know, and he did that, and you know, maybe you know, three or four or five lines where he would it was it was it was the setup and then the payoff. But you have an image in your head, like when when he was talking about this, whether it was you know, talking making fun of his wife or or you know she writ you know, or making fun of himself in a sexual situation, or making fun of his own looks, making fun of him his relationship with this psychiatrist. So he sort of painted a word picture in not so many words, which was a brilliant device and not easy to do. And I think he had such a quick silver mind and came up with all you know, he had trunk several trunks worth of jokes that he would just come up with off the top of his head. And and you know, well they all great, know, I mean, who can be that great all the time, But the large portion of them were pretty good.
Speaker 1: And he started writing jokes obsessively in his youth, right.
Speaker 4: I think he said he started writing jokes when he was about fifteen, which would have put him in you know, high school or you know, the nineteen tenth grade, and just kept at it all the time. And even when he in that decade of him as a salesman, he was selling jokes every once in a while, and he sold few jokes to Joey Bishop and some other Phil Foster and some other comics. So he always sort of kept his yep, he kept his toe in the comedy waters, even when he was off the ship, off the beach and you know, doing something different, But he always kept his his toe in the water and it served him in good stead when he decided to to make a second stab at a career in comedy, and you know that in turn, he had the persona which led to many, many more television appearances. You know, Mike Douglas, MERV Griffin, the Joe and Joey Bishop had a talk show. He was on Carson of course Byana Shore. I mean, everybody who had a talk show wanted to have Rodney on. And he did make one a movie that not many people know about. It was really his first movie called The Projectionist, which came out in nineteen seventy. It was a very very low budget sort of dramaedy drama slash comedy that was shot on a shoe string in Manhattan about a projectionist played by Chuck McCann, who was a very good comic. He played the projectionist in a movie. Theater projected all his thoughts. He became different characters in different movies, saving you know, the girl in distress and that sort of thing, and Rodney in the movie played the really abrasive theater manager.
Speaker 5: I'm happy with your attitudes and your appearances. Coppets are constantly a mess. I find numerous candy represents, cigarette butts on the floor.
Speaker 2: Remember, dirt is our enemy. Also, there's a lack of pride in your uniform. Shoes and are polished. Were a face? What are you afraid of a razor?
Speaker 4: The movie opened and closed very quickly. It was you know, showed in drive in theaters and became a little bit of a cult movie. Once Rodney became a very big star and was re released on television several times. But that was his entree into movies, and then he did to make another movie. For about a decade, he was busy doing a stand up comedy. He opened his own club, Dangerfields, and he's sixty first Street in Manhattan because he wanted to. He was living in New York and he wanted He had been divorced by this time, divorced, remarried, and then divorced the same woman. So he opened his club because he wanted to be close to his two children and you didn't want to travel all that much. And the comedy club, which became a really big success.
Speaker 2: And was.
Speaker 4: Its lifespan was great. I mean it they closed it. It closed it in COVID. I mean it was from nineteen sixty nine through two thousand, sorry, through twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a functioning, very popular comedy club. So you know, kudos to him for doing that. He opened He opened it at a time where there weren't that many comedy clubs in Manhattan, you know, the big comedy boom with the big comedy in front of the brick wall with the microphone. That hadn't happened yet. It did shortly thereafter catch Rising Star and those sorts of clubs the Comedy Store. But Rodney was one of the first to do that, and he performed at his own club in the beginning six seven times a week, and then he cut back once he became too popular. But the club itself stayed open and fostered a lot of careers and was a very well known place to see and be seen, which is a long winded way of saying that he had the he had this, he had the TV appearances, he had the comedy Club. Then he had the movies Caddy Shack, which which you know was was a box office bonanza and uh, such a classic for for a lot of people. What is really it was really his first co starring role. We we discount the Projectionist and we we look at Caddy Shack and he didn't even know how to when he when he first got there and he was shooting his scenes. And this is in the book too, He didn't really know how to act in front of a movie camera. And and he didn't he expected like he would do his lines and nobody would laugh, and he would, you know, say well, well what's going on?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: And Harold Ramis, the director, had to pull him aside and say, you know, there's no laughing on a movie set, you know where he just just be you save the lines and you'll be great. And he was. And he adapted very quickly as stands of the of the movie. Now, Yeah, so that was that was a biggie in his career. Yeah, and I would say that he was he was sixty already when Caddyshack hit, and that opened up a lot of doors for him in Hollywood that hadn't closed previously. And so he went on to make Easy Money, which did okay. It was it critically, It did okay at the box office. It was critically, it did okay too, you know, and the sort of people liked it, some people didn't like it. That was with Joe Peshick.
Speaker 5: That's the greatest love in the world. Your kids. You can't beat it, all right. That's why you do things for your kids. That's love with your kid. Hey see what I mean? With his kid, that's love, you know what I mean? Look where he loves the kid there has bounced him on his knees. Look at that. That's love, baby, I look at that.
Speaker 4: Think a right, hear what's going on.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here minding my business.
Speaker 4: He jumped on my lackey. All right, everybody calmed down us. Some identifications are And then he had Back to School, which was his biggest movie financially for him, critically and at the box office. That movie made a lot of money and really for a time put him near the top of the heap. It's his his his career in Hollywood. He was. He was hot as a pistol for a while, not a not a not a whole very long time, because once he started making a lot of money per movie, he became less picky, and eventually the movies you know, were like straight to video and Lady Bugs and five Tenors or four ten movies that people probably never even heard of for a good reason. But he was making money hand over fist and he was very interested in doing that at that point. And so his Starbardy. He met Natural Born Killers, which was another great movie he was in. It was an Oliver Stone movie, and there was Rodney had a cameo in that. It was very violent and gory and bloody, and he had a cameo in a scene with Julian Lewis and Woody Harrelson where he played sort of a father, the real loud who's like molesting who's molesting his daughter and beating his wife. And you have to see the movie to get the context of it, because Rodney scene was shot as a Oliverstone shot. Rodney seen a sort of a parody of an I Love Lucy episode smack in the middle of this horrifically glory, nasty movie. You know, there there was this homage to I Love Weird, homage to I Love Lucy twisted omarsh I Love Lucy with Rodney. But he was very good in that movie, and there was some talk early on he might get nominated for an Oscar as a as a supporting actor. He didn't, but there was some talk. So he could always look at that and be proud of that as far as his movie resume was concerned. But but you know the good the interesting thing is they wouldn't let him in. He applied for membership because to be a member of the Academy of Boarts and Sciences Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and they denied him because it gave some bs excuse. You know, when you do more work, then we'll re evaluate this. But I did, I don't, I don't. They didn't take him seriously as an actor son, and he was really pissed off of that and he vowed never to join and he never did.
Speaker 3: How did Jacob Cohen land on Rodney Dangerfield As a stage name.
Speaker 4: He went through several iterations. He was Jacob Cohen until he was nineteen, and then he was Jack Roy from the age of nineteen to about forty forty one. It was Jack roy when he was selling a ludum ciding a paint, and then when he decided to make his entrance back into the land of stand up comedy. He when he was booked into his first club, he asked the club owner because he had played the club before when he was known as Jack roy and he was sort of nervous that people would would if it was advertised as Jack. If he was advertised as Jack Royd before his appearance, people might have seen him in that club and they would say, yeah, you know, he's stunk. You know, we don't want to see him. So he basically asked the club owner to, you know, pick a name because he had to be advertised in weeks ahead in the newspaper. And the club owner picked the name of Rodney Dangerfield, which seemingly came out of nowhere, but really didn't. There was a there was and Jack the Jack Benny radio program. There was a Jack Benny had a character named Rodney Dangerfield who was a cowboy. I don't know where he got the name from.
Speaker 6: Get a load of that fellas Jack Benny's Christmas party last Thursday was one of the outstanding events of the Beverly Hill Social seasons. Whoa and I'm Love President with Rodney Dingerfield. The cowboys are Bonnie Galla Bugg and Haven, Rodney's leading lady.
Speaker 4: Remember there was an episode of The Adventures the the Enters of Ozzie and Harriet where Ricky Nelson took the name for whatever in the episode, took the name of Rodney Dangerfield. He was playing a character in an episode. Oh yeah, only she doesn't know it's me. She's got a blind date with Rodney Dangerfield. Came out of nowhere, I suppose you know, for this, because nobody ever heard of it before. But so he became Brdney Dangerfield and he was moderately successful in the beginning, so he kept the name and that's it. He eventually legally changed his name, but he was he was. He was Jacob Cohen for a long time, and then he was Jack Roy for a long time until he finally changed his name. His his his two children used the last name Roy. They didn't go by Dangerfield. So yeah, I mean, that's that's how he That's how Jacob Cohen became Rodney Danefield. It was it was kind of like a lizard shedding its skin for these three different names, and that's that's the Rodney that we all know and love.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when I was a kid and I got into the history of comedy, I had a Golden Age of comedy themed bar Mitzvah party, That's how into it I was. But I remember like seeing Rodney Dangerfield and his name and just assuming that was his given surname and that it was a Jewish name like Cohen, of course is much more Jewish, but even Dangerfield has like a Jewish sensibility about it, you know.
Speaker 4: I suppose, yeah, I suppose you could look at it that way. But he wasn't, you know, he he unlike let's say, Woody Allen in his stand up comedy, Rodney never like you know, yes, he was Jewish, of course, but he he didn't. His spiel and his stick wasn't really that much around Jewish kind of humor, like as was Woody Allen or Robert Klein for instance, Uh, Jackie Mason. He was sort of an Rodney was the everyman of the the you know, the self deprecating every man who sort of transcended religion or or or you know, a certain feeling.
Speaker 3: In his comedy, Joan Rivers eulogized Dangerfield, saying, Rodney will always represent what it feels like for all of us to crave a little respect. Is this maybe why he has remained so revered.
Speaker 4: I think so. I think in the no respect line, Jack Benny called it one of them. He told Rodner, you have one of the greatest catchphrases in the history of comedy, because, let's face it, everybody feels disrespected at one point or another, you know, uh, in in in their lives. And people could identify with the put upon guy who you know was was you know, nothing ever, nothing ever worked out, you know, uh uh nothing comes easy. The title of the book was that was before Rodney adopted the no respect line. He often used that line nothing, you know, nothing comes easy, and and people could relate to that, and uh it just stuck to them, uh through his act. And I think that's why he's he He is so revered because of that no respect line. And everybody feels a little bit of that at one point or another in their lives. You know, I didn't get the respect I deserve or I'm not appreciated, that sort of thing, And and I mean, let's face it, it is one of the greatest people. You know, no respect. You know you people still use it to this day, you know, or in describing something or you know, they'll say, you know, like Rodney Gingerfield, I get no respect, or you know that baseball player you know gets no respector so it's it's it's sort of an ubiquitous that's phrase that that has become part of our lexicon, and I think it will be for for for a very very long time.
Speaker 1: I've even heard it used as the Rodney Dangerfield treatment, not even saying no respect, but when somebody isn't getting respect, you say, he's getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, And people know you don't have to say no respect. They they know what you mean, and they think of Rodney. It pops the abrupt, but to Rodney probably pops into their head and and and with with the you know, with that no respect tagline. So yeah, I mean, it's just, uh, it is one of those phrases that that he he said he I think the most he told several iterations of the story of how he came to use it, but I think the most believable, the most believable. One was he was working in a comedy club and there were two mobbed up wise guys talking about how they got no respect from somebody else. And he heard that and he used it and it was and people loved it, and and then that just became his calling card by the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Well we respect you, Michael. Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Now, thanks for having me on. This was great. Always love to talk about comedy and everything else and uh I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled live.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.
Speaker 5: M