Speaker 1: Welcome back to Jeff Jeff's Bizarre Adventure, the only anime podcast on the Internet. Welcome, everyone, Welcome. It's a pleasure to be here. Crazy a couple of weeks, months, I don't know how long it's been. I don't know where this is going, but it's a pleasure to be here, and especially due to the company of one Empress of the cat Race. It's Suster James carry cage.
Speaker 2: It has a wares If you have coin, I do appreciate it, I assume.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is it because my cat was going absolutely mental on my chair a minute ago?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is it just the fact that I'm constantly covered in cat hair?
Speaker 1: You know what? It can be a little boat. It can be a little boat.
Speaker 2: Hang on, you saw how much cat hair I was covered with her all times, didn't you? And John, like we met for the first time there.
Speaker 1: Hey, we did you know what we should cover?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: We should? We should We'll get there.
Speaker 2: We'll get there.
Speaker 1: To my right, a man formerly known as the Night Rain, but who has recently run into some branding trouble.
Speaker 3: It's two more what I've run into branding trouble because of because of the I'm not interpreting cat race. I was like, why are they racing cats? And why is there an empress involved in the racing of cats? And I was like, okay, cool, Yeah, but I have run into you know what, I've run into various issues lately, so then the branding one is obviously at the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like, look, you're you're you've been writing your letters to from Soft, You've been asking him to change the name of the game. I think it's going to go well.
Speaker 3: Personally, I think I got a big I've got a polo rid of me is okay, given me the middle finger? Then get bent on it, which is very weird.
Speaker 1: I know. And it's like it's such a like late nineties insults, say Tracy Beaker, he.
Speaker 3: Was he was wearing a T shirt, so wearing like.
Speaker 1: A backwards baseball cap as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it had like the little pin wheel on the top.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, man. Artists, you just you just never know. Speaking of which, it's the Renegade, there's the Troublemaker. It's Jeff Beckelaer.
Speaker 4: Jeff.
Speaker 1: How's things going any any major monumental life changes since our last episode?
Speaker 4: No, it's been quiet, child. I gotta say in a way him, in a way, it's been quiet on the home front. Nothing's happened.
Speaker 2: You played your first.
Speaker 4: DND game, that's right. Oh my gosh, I did my first sort of D and D game. I don't think we got very far in it, but us we did. We did the Sea Queen or something. Yeah, dice sets were purchased.
Speaker 3: And they spend money.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, nope, Stacey made me spend money.
Speaker 1: Stacey fucked in on that experience, which I really go into it.
Speaker 4: She got trapped in its laser force, magnetic laser whatever you want to call it, tractor beam, and she's all up in D and d's guts these days, see berserk guts.
Speaker 1: I also had they sent your first podcast, Jeff.
Speaker 4: Look, I've done this a few times, No big deal whatever. Also, I loved our panel. I had a lot of fun with that. Thank you for everyone who came out to that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that was that was a really special little moment. I thought we all met physically in human bodies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we touched. We touched every time we happen human.
Speaker 1: In meat space, meat space. That was it. And how did the versions? Okay, I realized that I feel like, Hey, yeah, I always think like, especially like the scale of people, Like it's always different to what it is in your head. Yep, what i'd say, I'd say, like, like, you can never interpret really how big or small someone is until you meet them in person.
Speaker 4: That's usually how it works, right.
Speaker 1: Because because you're just like here, we're basically just staring at floating heads.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Goes down to let my waist.
Speaker 4: But you know, if the first time I met you, John, I wasn't like, I wasn't disappointed with what you looked like in real life. I wasn't like, oh God, I'm gonna walk the streets in Manhattan with this fucking It wasn't like that. You know, Hey, that's a compliment.
Speaker 1: I don't know where disappointment came into it. Jet interesting that that's that's right where your mind went.
Speaker 4: You're right, that was back of my head was upsetting.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sorry, did you think I was taller or shorter?
Speaker 1: Lucy? You were so much smaller than I thought you would be.
Speaker 2: Does that mean it's because I've got I've got the air of someone who is much much bigger and powerful.
Speaker 1: I think it's a voice you have quite a commanding voice. And then when I would say so yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I can have a big laugh sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I think when you have tall person energies slighter than maybe I thought you would be.
Speaker 3: I feel like most people who never met you would guess your six foot.
Speaker 2: I wish I'm I'm on the smaller side in my family. That's the thing. On my mom's side, I am the tallest, like out of everyone. But on my dad's side, I am the shortest, five tive nine seven. My sister's five ten.
Speaker 4: I'm taller than you. Yeah, okay, can you remember that you have this yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I am?
Speaker 1: I am? I am also five seven and a half.
Speaker 4: It's a big half.
Speaker 1: It's a look.
Speaker 3: That half is doing a lot of work.
Speaker 1: I am just shooting for accuracy here. If we want a round to the nearest, I'm five eight. But I'm not fair. I'm not gonna lie about that.
Speaker 4: Well, that's fair, I mean, and thank you for using the imperial system. That's also very charitable of you.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Years years of watching wrestling, I can only weigh myself in pounds and measure myself and feet.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair, And then Tam you're like, what five eleven?
Speaker 3: I think I'm five to ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and I feel like the same.
Speaker 2: Feels taller to me.
Speaker 3: And looking down at you may say otherwise.
Speaker 4: So then I think either I have terrible posture or you're five eleven.
Speaker 3: Maybe I am five eleven. I've not like measured myself bite wise, you know, not well many thanks gonna wait these days fair enough?
Speaker 4: I get it. Well, that goes over the vitals of the group.
Speaker 1: Let's cover blood type.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know. For someone who has bloods all the time, I have no idea what blood type is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm like, I don't know. I think I'm ab.
Speaker 1: Was I telling you guys? How like the first three people I met at PAS were like, oh, you're you're shorter, and I thought you'd be. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to bring it up, but I'm really glad you did, you know, because I like that you like talking about it, because you can have fun with it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm having fun here, Jeff. I think maybe I'm coming. I'm coming to three friends for comfort and time of great pain.
Speaker 3: You definitely, you definitely aren't shorter than I thought you do. I when I saw you, I did think, yeah, that's the build of someone who does martial arts, because it's like steady frame, like grounded.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: I looked at you and I was like, yeah, that is a difficult ground game encounter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to be this.
Speaker 1: Size, you have to be You don't know how much that means to me. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would not want to fight you on the ground.
Speaker 4: Or in the sky.
Speaker 2: I'd fight you in the sky.
Speaker 1: In the sky, I'm gonna I'm gonna be real with you, guys. I'm pretty weak in the sky and I go down like a sack of ship and it's just it's completely hopeless. But I'm not it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was super fun, Like it was a really really uh it was really great obviously, like being finally able to hang out very tumultuous weekend to do that. But I mean, I think something happens to have like a really really good I'm still not sure what you mean, but okay, okay, cool, cool, Okay, fine, it's sure. It's just it's I've just never quite had the experience of doing a panel and not like arriving at a con for a panel. I'm not sure legally if we could put it on the following day, But just you know what do I mean by that doesn't matter? We don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Those are called fun obstacles, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, those those aren't the challenges, their opportunities.
Speaker 3: Or mission modifiers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you had a lovely steak dinner.
Speaker 1: We did. Me and Tom shared the most delightful breakfast.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was good. That place was incredible.
Speaker 1: That was so good, and we're both super healthy. Both got bowls of porridge. Wasn't it wasn't a fucking killer bowl of porridge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good. It was real good. If we ever go back there, we should take everyone. It wasn't random stumble upon as well. Like we walked down it was cold as hell and windy, and when we got inside it would we were perfectly prime to eat porridge, warm porridge and have coffee.
Speaker 2: Very fable, fably of you, you know, like it's.
Speaker 4: The whole thing. Sound the British as fuck.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie like Grim's fairy tales.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some poor reach, yeah that kind of yeah. Okay, well, I mean that's that's what I'm hearing in my mind in my mind, the theater of my mind, Lucy, Lucy.
Speaker 1: Jeff did an impression of an Irish person when I was talking to him recently.
Speaker 4: There's just.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Can I say what you said?
Speaker 4: I don't remember what you're talking about, so this will be news to me as well.
Speaker 1: John, go ahead, So you guys know me, I sure love to pull out the famine whenever I need to. Yeah, yeah, and I so Jeft did an impression of an Irish person and I said, you know how many people died in the famine, Jeff, like just real serious deadpand like that. And he just responds, was it seventeen million?
Speaker 4: I said, seventeen mil?
Speaker 2: Yes, seventeen Did you do an Irish accent to say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, maybe I like it, he said.
Speaker 1: He was an impression of me talking, which Jeff loves to do from time to time, and it's just for us. But yeah, no, it was great, And like the panel, I came not a finel feeling like all we hit a home run there. That was fucking awesome.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 1: That really disappointed me was I didn't realize the death note the potato chip clip I had was the sub and not the dub, and I don't want to say it, my heart kind of broke because I was like, this is going to be as a quarter as funny.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about the Death Note thing, so for anyone, because I don't think we have we were recording as a panel. I don't know it was streamed somewhere.
Speaker 4: It's out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John and Tam collected a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of it's on my panel, my regular panel.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah, So John and Tam like collected a bunch of anime clips that we showed to Jeff, who then had to guess what the whole anime was about. And MY favorite thing about watching the Death Note one with him is that he did not see Riok at all, the creepy death god in the vaulted down vulture man the whole time. And so Jeff was just like, and I was just aghast at that, because I feel like that's the one thing you really zero in on when you watch Death Note. But maybe that's just I mean, it.
Speaker 1: Was just he wasn't he wasn't watching it an ideal circumstance either.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on like the nineteen inch monitor ten feet.
Speaker 4: Away, which I was advertised would be at least forty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe I misremembered.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's okay, it's fine. I had my glasses on. I could see the vulture. I kind of just pushed out of my mind because I found deeply upsetting.
Speaker 1: So speaking of putting your glasses on and nothing will be wrong, nice baby. Sorry to cut across the Jeff, but like that landed into your lap very often.
Speaker 2: Jeff wouldn't know because he skips the intro for every anime that we watch. So you know what you don't remember, Tim, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I remember put your classes on. I know, okay, I know, I know what it sounds like. I know I watched one of them.
Speaker 1: So okay, I do have to say, no, I have a I like that theme song me too.
Speaker 4: It's grown on me a little bit, but it's bad, but it's growing on me sure.
Speaker 1: But what I will say is that you know Forces, this song that very occasionally plays, and it plays for the next time on the like the real just the fucking banger ass song. Yeah, imagine being the dude who wrote Forces and they're like, we're not going to use it for the opening. We got we got this other song. And then someone hits play on a boombox. This is this is the nineties. That song comes out of it, and it's just imagine, imagine the disrespect. Imagine how that would feel. And then they're like, we're also not going to use it for the op or for that for the ed either the ending. No no no, no, no no no, we have one for that too, And then it's that mess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a weird ending song there.
Speaker 1: And then they're like, but don't worry, We're going to play it for the last fifteen seconds of every episode as an old man talks over it.
Speaker 4: Yep. I mean I guess you rethink your career at that point, right, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I was. I was so excited to watch these episodes today. I for for a little while there, I was unsure when or how we're going to be able to do it. And I was like, and immediately just back into it, and we hope we start on this scene and it's Guts facing down a bunch of men with Caska by his side, and immediately just taking the temperature here. What do you guys think of these episodes?
Speaker 4: I love to.
Speaker 1: I there's something about this budding relationship that made me.
Speaker 4: Really like it. Like they kind of they kind of like in a weird way, Carbon copied a little bit of that emotional rollercoaster that some of the other characters are were sort of going through. But we learned a lot about Caska before these two episodes and her loyalty to Griffith. We understand that. But to see it kind of like pivot and then focus on old Guts, you.
Speaker 1: Know, likes shit's getting a little a little muddled. Things are motivations are kind of spiral a little bit. Here.
Speaker 4: You go through with an event like that with someone and it unlocks feelings that perhaps were undiscovered prior.
Speaker 1: You know, so just correct myself there. It doesn't immediately open up on the showdown. It opens up with Guts and Casca walking in the woods, and you know what, I'm just gonna say it, Goods gets a little or slash men's rights here at the start of the episode, Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 4: He's just like he turns out, I forgot I forgot you were a woman. That's unfortunate for my situation right now, is basically what he says to Casca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dangerously close to a women do be shopping moment that's just like chill.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think maybe the one thing that saves it a little bit is afterwards, when she like gets pissed off and starts walking again, he does give her a little bit of a like that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: I feel like, well, I feel like maybe he was doing it to like kind of like push her forward in a little way, like totally like that.
Speaker 1: That's my read on the scene, and I still still wouldn't advise it. I could say that this would not work on Michelle, Michelle or me, yeah no, or any woman I know ever, but I appreciate that gouts. Maybe the bad things were coming from a good place.
Speaker 4: I he does say he does try and like redeem himself a little bit where he's like, how am I supposed to know? I'm not a woman and you're on your period? Is kind of what he says.
Speaker 1: I think for I would say, once again, that would sure not fly with Michelle or any woman I know. But you know what, guts look, he's not he's not he's not a master conversationalist, not like all of us got the words messed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to make excuses for him, but like this is a child learning how to interact with other people for the first time. He has gone his entire life just wandering around killing things and has no real like good social dynamics. So not to make excuses for him, because.
Speaker 1: I like that that is his character, and like he practically talks about that next next episode as well.
Speaker 2: Did you guys see that owl with the really human face?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell was up with that?
Speaker 4: There's a couple there's a couple of drawings in this uh, in this tandem here that I was not thrilled with how.
Speaker 1: Their depict ones, and there are some not great ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Samson, I'd like.
Speaker 3: To chime in, I am every now and then there's an animal in this in this show the series that looks like a c Man moment from Dreamcast where you're like, oh, yeah, that's that's a human face.
Speaker 1: Look, it's unintentional in your life drawing humans, and then one day you have to draw a fucking owl and it's hard. Okay, your your path has not prepared you for that moment. Old habits right, put a face on this now, huh.
Speaker 2: Like medieval cats, you know, like magin like cats, human.
Speaker 1: Face, they're so good they're so good the names some of them as well.
Speaker 2: They what names.
Speaker 1: Oh there's list of like medieval names for cats, and they're just the most insane ship you've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Googling googling. I saw a video the other day of a woman who was talking about her cat, which he named Coronavirus, which I thought was very funny.
Speaker 4: That's just weird.
Speaker 1: I think I knew a cat once called Osama bin Laden.
Speaker 3: Oh god, okay, that's choice is our door indoor cat?
Speaker 1: Indoor cat? Okay, then you're safe the way they'd call it sama. But yeah, that was that was the cat's name.
Speaker 4: That is wild.
Speaker 1: Look, Rural Ireland has this weird thing where it has so little interaction with other cultures that it is both more and less racist.
Speaker 3: Over there. It's the only place where you can argue that someone naming the cattle Salomon Ladden was completely innocent because they just thought it was a funny word or a funny.
Speaker 1: Some of Laden is someone They may be heard on Sky News once when their television accidentally tuned into that channel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, will allow it.
Speaker 1: Kask and Guts are attacked here by what I can only describe as crowded Goober's.
Speaker 2: Technical term.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely the technical term. Harold led again by our boy whose name I can't instantly forget every episode.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: Every time I look at him, I think of Biskanovich, but that's tech n.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of Buzo, which is the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's corbel wits right, right, but it's it's it's just spelled.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a name whose letters do not make sense in the order in which they're in. And I think that's what sort of you know, throws everyone for a loop when you see that, You're like, how am I meant to read that? I don't know what to call him. I also think every like I feel like I've seen him die eleven times and he's just back every episode.
Speaker 3: I know he has got.
Speaker 4: A new set of bandages, way less teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the teeth thing. When he's just like off side, you just see that, like from from the right hand side. Don't want see just a zero.
Speaker 4: Did not affect his speech one iota, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: He's been in speech therapy. He's doing well.
Speaker 4: Well, that was fast.
Speaker 2: He's given to his lessons.
Speaker 1: I like the thing of bad guy returns more fucked up every time. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I also do think they lead you to believe he has died, but that it's fun.
Speaker 4: This is the funny. It's comedy comedy.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, look, Jeff, it's a dumb cartoon.
Speaker 4: It's just a cartoon.
Speaker 3: Jeff, I'll give you ten dollars if you can tell me his first name.
Speaker 1: It's not coming away and said many times, yeah I believe it, but I but I'm stuck on the corble wits.
Speaker 3: You know, does anyone know, Steve? No, No, it's because it's the worst one ad.
Speaker 1: I'll remember it because the street fighter.
Speaker 3: Street fighter. Yeah, that's that's the only reason I remember it. Because he looks he's got the same kind of deranged face as on in this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah, you know what. You couldn't give me a thousand years, I never would have got there.
Speaker 1: So he's basically like, I'm back and this time surely, And we get a very long sequence of basically guts murdering people with at this point what seems to be a five meter long sword, a very.
Speaker 2: Dull blade on that five meter long sword, m h which the.
Speaker 1: Dullest what's about to get duller I really like the contrast to like the way that Guts and Casca fight here, because like Goots is basically beating people to death with a giant steel club that just happens to be kind of sharp, whereas Caska is like she's targeting arteries. She's kind of just sliding past people. It's it's fun, It's it's really really cool.
Speaker 2: It's versus strength build Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: He also makes himself a much bigger target by doing all that kind of stuff. I feel like it's a tactical advantage for him, which they I think they mentioned it later on with like when he's on a battlefield, he's just drawing all the agro because of his insane sword and his moves, which is a it's so interesting way to look at his function in a army. It's like his way of helping. The more unhinged he acts on a battlefield, the more like he's trying to like help his friends around him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very funny.
Speaker 1: How aid on thank you Tim is now like every time, sure, every time Guts makes his way through like ten guys, he's just like.
Speaker 4: Well now he's now he's like limping a little bit, So you guys will have no problem, and then another ten guys he has. Now he has now hurt his left hand, and now he's even more vulnerable now.
Speaker 1: Forms to have seems to have slightly brained his ankle. There, that's that's probably a good thing.
Speaker 3: Can everyone just former circle around him? Please?
Speaker 4: It's so funny they can't fight him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's actually a really good bit much later on where the same thing is happening and there's someone being like, could you just stop attacking him? Like, just no point this. We then get to meet Aidan's brother, whose armor I love. It's what's the name of that anglerfish?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right, light.
Speaker 1: Yees, so fucking cool. And he is the strongest next to aid On, the strongest member of the second Whale super heavy m hm.
Speaker 4: Italians something like that Blue Whales.
Speaker 2: There's the White Rhinos, the band of the Horse.
Speaker 1: Animals, the Blue Whale, super strong heavy assault mites. Yep, that's pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 2: And if you had to be in a battalion, what animal would you like to be?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think we're all obligated to say crow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do like crow three three of us Crow, I think you crow.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, no, octopus, we have no more vacancies in the bend of crow. Octopus.
Speaker 4: There's three animals I really enjoy before if we're counting crows right.
Speaker 2: Accidentally A number one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty great. Number one, the mighty elephant.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 1: Why why? John, I'm not I'm not disputing it, but I guess I'm that's not what I expected.
Speaker 4: Sure to the wh why because elephants are like shockingly intelligent. They don't seem to take any shit, and they don't use their like massive size for evil.
Speaker 1: Mike could show you some YouTube videos.
Speaker 4: That, yes, Survival of the Fittest and all that, but like, I just think they're amazing and they also I think they also like are are naturally immune to certain diseases, which I find fascinating, and I just really dig them. I think they are super cool. And there's certain animals where you like look at an animal just from like maybe even a nascent, sort of childish point of view, and you're just like, how the fuck did that thing happen? You know, like I and an elephant does that for me? Sure, the sameish kind of like thing there the wise and nocturnal owl I think is a is a dope animal. And then the octopus. The octopus hyper intelligent. We barely understand them, and they are easily, hands down the closest thing we have to like what would probably be extraterrestrial life on our planet, simply because the ancestry of the octopus is so far from ours. Like a lot of the land creatures on Earth, you can draw a lot of, like the DNA similarities. The octopus veered off so much earlier on an evolution and did its own thing. That thing can like hear colors, it can like its tentacles like there were I was reading this National Geography thing. We're like, if an octopus put its tentacle into a room that it could not see, it would know what color of the room is. Like I'm talking fucking alien shit. I love it.
Speaker 1: And they're super smart and they can camouflage and that's bad ass. It kind of sounds like the octopus is your number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're out there.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a mount rushmore if you will.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty funny that all that knowledge is not commonly known, and it requires people to know it to think that being called like the band of the octopus is cool. So like ninety five percent of the time people will see the band of octopus and be like, why why octopus?
Speaker 2: Noems like a reconnaissance.
Speaker 4: Yeah me, I mean I think people think octopi are cool. There's there's like cracking mythology that is related to that that sort of like fed into that. Yeah, October obviously right after the Kraken.
Speaker 1: You know, you say if I told you that. Shortly before this podcast, I had drawn an octopus, a little octopus character wearing a basketball jersey in my notebook.
Speaker 4: Why why is it a basketball jersey?
Speaker 2: To ask, I want to see.
Speaker 3: It's because when you've got that many tentacles, you got more opportunities to don't.
Speaker 1: Because I need I needed his six arms to come out through the eight. Well two, he has two legs. So that's that's how the character.
Speaker 4: Oh so this is just like a fallacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's it's it's it's oh my lord, there there is Wow. I did something to send to a character designer earlier today, and I drew this in maybe ten seconds.
Speaker 4: That's so cool. I love it. I love it. That is weird. That is weird. But I also do love crows. Crows are also hyper intelligent. CROs hyper intelligence.
Speaker 1: That's my well, okay, wolves and crows. But I'm rad like that. You know, I'm like a shadow of the hedgehog.
Speaker 4: Okay, body, okay, fella huh okay, okay, okay, Yeah, crows a rule. What else can you say? They're fucking badass, do you know what?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: My favorite thing about crows they're just kind of jaunty. You see them hop around. Yeah, they're pleasure pleasure to watch. Crows know their crows, you know what I mean? Absolutely, Like I am pretty sure dogs do not know their dogs.
Speaker 4: Not like the dogs are the most in the moment animal for sure, like living in the now kind of thing. Crows are. They're well aware. They know the fucking dynamic, they know the fucking spread.
Speaker 1: You know, really do they really really do?
Speaker 3: And they just love that hold a grudge? Yeah, they do.
Speaker 4: They hold grudge.
Speaker 1: Any animal that holds a grudge, I'm kind of down with. Yep, yep, Jeff elephants. I remember this is an ancient internet memory. One of the first videos I saw on the Internet was I think it was like some village somewhere in India and it was uh it was an elephant rampaging through the village. Yes, and for whatever reason, men kept charging at it. And what it would do is it would pick them up in its trunk and throw them to the side, and this would happen over and.
Speaker 4: Over and like place them down into a bed of pillows. You mean uh.
Speaker 1: No, no, it would.
Speaker 3: It would.
Speaker 1: It would body slam them several feet from where it had picked them up. Okay, it's one of those. Yeah, it was just it was one of the first things I ever saw from the Internet where I was like, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 2: That just made me remember the story about the elephant like a few years ago that killed a woman and then returned to trample her corpse at her funeral. Oh yeah, Also have Gradua?
Speaker 1: Did that that really happened?
Speaker 2: Yes it did, I'm looking at it on the Independent. Didn't right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, Tom, what's your give me some animals?
Speaker 3: I said crow. I was the one who said crow.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but I take crow.
Speaker 3: And if I can think of another animal, it will probably be that bird, that evil looking bird that when it like claps his beaks sounds like gunfire.
Speaker 1: Oh that fucking count draculas looking bird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Jeff, have you seen this bird? No, let me find it, but it is. It is. People know it as the bird. It's called the shoe bill stork. Google that.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know it. Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: It is like a horrifying like grammar death bird. Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: It is incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a funk. It looks like God, it looks like an animatronic dinosaur from Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: It looks like evolution stopped back then it's and it.
Speaker 1: Looks like someone's wearing it as a mask, like a human is wearing it as a mask.
Speaker 4: It is, my god, the stuff of nightmares. I can't look away. It's on my monitor on the left side. I'm not gonna look there now. I almost have to like put my hand on it and then find the tab clothes button. I've got. I did it. It's gotten out of you.
Speaker 1: Before we return to Berserk, Lucy gas animals.
Speaker 2: I love a cat, obviously. I like like kind of insects to insects count.
Speaker 4: Here like a you like bugs?
Speaker 2: I do like bugs like a snake.
Speaker 1: Oh. I realized today that spider's fuck and that it kind of ruined my day. Honestly, Well, how did you think it all worked?
Speaker 4: There? John?
Speaker 1: Flies work?
Speaker 4: Flies? Fuck?
Speaker 1: They don't? They very sexual?
Speaker 4: All right? They lay eggs?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why can't spiders be like that?
Speaker 4: I only believed flies fuck from that Alkaline Trio lyric, Well, you gotta see you got.
Speaker 2: To stop letting pop punk teach you everything.
Speaker 1: Take my yeah, take your world. Yeah, I understanding of the natural words. It was there at first. It was their inaccuracy is over the chemical compound of glittering, And now this.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 1: Glistering. Glistering is one of those songs where like it's kind of corny, but that comes on and I just can't help stare at a window and just be like.
Speaker 2: Wait, am I thinking of the right glistering? Is that Bush?
Speaker 4: No, you're talking about Bush made on talking about Bush?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought you were making an alkaline joke. I thought you were making an alkaline joke.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I don't know what's the song that they had in Tony Hawk Armageddon.
Speaker 4: Arma again?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just don't like a big a big cat, any of the big cats, jaguar, a cheetah. I love a lion, but who does it? Lion feels like very basically, you know, I don't like that much.
Speaker 4: I like watching the lion They're horrifying.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's just just something about the mame bothers me. Sure it's stupid, you could say it is stupid.
Speaker 2: It's like like the fact that the lionesses are the hunters and they have a power in the society. You know, sure they don't like monkeys, dude. I chimpanzees No.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the closest.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. Yeah, I know, they're very scary. Chimpanzees are fucked up.
Speaker 2: Like I'm a cac monkey. Sure, the little playful guys, they're.
Speaker 4: Very up in the situation. I mean, look, we're so we are so close to them. Did you watch that.
Speaker 2: Documentary about the woman who had the chimp and then you know about it? Face off.
Speaker 1: I have listened to that nine to one one calls bad reasons, it don't matter, it's real bad. But chimps are just smart enough to realize what we did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, it's not good. We do not have a good That's why Planet of the Apes exists is just that, you know, caveman fear we have.
Speaker 2: I hate every chimp I see from chimp fats a. No, you'll never make a monkey.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, we can. That's all time Simpsons. Another another all time Simpsons joke is Gots and Caska being surrounded by Look, they can't all be winners.
Speaker 2: We just have like a twenty minute seg about chimps and animals and OCTOPI.
Speaker 1: The agony of a good segue knocking you off schedule or something I struggle with on podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yes, the agony, the ecstasy.
Speaker 1: Gotta let this ride, Jeff. Jeff's talking about octopuses.
Speaker 2: But he's actually very passionate about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was really taken aback by that, Jeff.
Speaker 4: Thanks, I think they're Nope.
Speaker 1: So what I like about when Aidan's brother shows up here is subtract.
Speaker 2: Get it because it's like add on subtract.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, Lucy, what are we doing? Yeah, buddy, I like it. Lucy, listen, we just got this podcast back. I don't want to be too dramatic here, but you are. You are driving it off a cliff. It is not your plaything, Okay, well, and I'll give it to yourself. Okay, I appreciate it. Uh. The weird thing about this anime is like, I think there are definitely drawings that look so janky in this show where it's like there's one of there's a couple of Kaska here. I think they really struggle with Casca sometimes. But I think it also looks fucking awesome sometimes as well. And I love him when Aiden's brother comes out and immediately begins like hurling his ball and chain at like trees and stone just flexing and these things are just disintegrating under it, and I just it looks so good and it's all done by hand, and it's just man, it makes me happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: And then what dude has his fucking skull caved in by goots?
Speaker 4: Yeah? But but and also and also you know, it's so funny because Aidan's like, yeah, his ball and chain will like pulverize anything. It's not it's like you've got no shot, instant kill one dead, you know, one punch your dead, that's it. One hit, you're dead. And then we start see it. We start to zoom out a little bit and we see Samson twirling around his big ball and it's just drawn as like this grayfish man blob that looks real dumb. I gotta say real stupid looking because it's also like it's just one color gray and it's there's no like shadow, there's no any sort of like perceivable definition in the in the artistry of it, and it just looks like human grayfish man and I and I just had to laugh because it was so it was just so bad looking. Look, I get it, they can't all be bangers. I'm not you know, I'm not gonna say I'm disappointed, but that looked like shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I just really hope the staff who animated the nineties Berserk never listens to this podcast, because I think that would probably devastate them.
Speaker 4: Jeff, I'm sorry. I just have to be honest.
Speaker 1: You know you are sorry.
Speaker 3: Do you have to do you have to? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I have to make forcing you to be honest. Like watch this, Jeff, I thought it looked amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thought. That's take. That's a descent.
Speaker 1: You don't have anything nice to say, totally totally.
Speaker 4: And that ball is just like, like I was like, it will kill you right away. It'll suck up a horse, it would kill a rhino, it would take down a mountain, and Berserk is just like ping, just knocks it off. First.
Speaker 1: First, First of all, Jeff, his name is Guts, not the name.
Speaker 3: Of incredible death.
Speaker 1: Are four year old talking about you know?
Speaker 4: You know it's amazing, you know what's amazing. I have to do the mental gymnastics every time, Like, for as long as I can remember, I always assumed that Guts his name was Berserk, and I have to like get out out in front of it. I'm just having an honest and open moment here with my friends, and I've had to all this time be like, it's not his name, idiot, his name's Guts. And I didn't know that going into it, and I didn't really understand that. So maybe the second or third episode, but here we are. It's a moment of vulnerability that I'm happy to share with you all.
Speaker 3: I just love the idea there watching it and going like his name is Guts, and he's his name is berserk and he's going berserk. I love this.
Speaker 1: I don't need to remember any words at all.
Speaker 4: That's that's some bad, all right, you know.
Speaker 3: I in my mind I apply that same role for you to everything. So literally, anything I think about you watching you, call it by the name of the thing that it's named after They're like, oh, this is ash Ketch him and his sidekick Pokemon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, what's what's one punches? The name to his.
Speaker 1: Name is Pych, but fairness like that one is actually like one, you know, I know, but but I guess One's the reason you get away with the Jeff is that his name in your head for some god forsaken reason, is Berserk. But his actual name is Guts, which is confusing. Yeah, because no one's name is guts. You can't name someone guts. No, Guts is not a.
Speaker 4: Human person names. His guts is like a it's it's different.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thank you very well explaniated.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it anyway. Uh, Berserk takes down Samson and Uh. In doing so, Kaska is able to get away, but once again her menstrul problems. Yeah, hamper her athletic ability. Lucy, this is I don't know how to talk. He's doing great, Okay, I mean okay, this is.
Speaker 2: That like exercise in some cases will help with cramping. However, if you have them that are so exceptionally bad like casca has and just nothing's gonna you just got to pop some pills. Get like a little heat pad and call it a day them I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, unfortunately to Cascar, there is no heat pad currently available in the world of Berserk, but maybe in time. So she is then accosted by uh five lecherous people mercenaries or and she takes out two of them and three kind of pin her down. This is an uncomfortable scene.
Speaker 4: This feels bad a lot.
Speaker 2: Sexual assault, especially in the manga, Like at the very beginning of Berserk, it's just a lot of it, and I think it hasn't Mir said, Like, didn't he say at one point that he kind of regrets having so much.
Speaker 1: In the I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like they pull that out every time they talk about it.
Speaker 1: On the second I don't remember specifically if he said he regretted it, but there's definitely way way less later on. Yeah, like at a point that kind of side of Berzerk sort of disappears pretty much. But Jeff, have we ever told you what the first page of the of Berserk is?
Speaker 4: You might have, but it's not bringing the bell right now.
Speaker 1: I think maybe we did, but just mention it. It's it's goods having sex with a demon lady. And then he shoots her with his with a cannon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like during it, yes, m hm, you know, I'm saying, oh at all, that's that's really.
Speaker 1: A breating donkey punch known to man.
Speaker 4: Why was he he was having sex with her and he just killed her.
Speaker 1: I don't really know, Jeff, and honestly, I don't think twenty one year old Miura knew at the time either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, this was just okay, all right. That context makes it a little easier to swallow, but that's upsetting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So basically we end on this scene where Guts is ripping through these fools. There are so many shots of Guts slicing a night in half and Kaskas struggling against her attackers, and we end and I think overall, very good episode, a lot of action. I really enjoyed the animation in this part. I think so many of the shots are really well composed and they are clearly doing everything they can with what feels like, you know, a limited production, but it works. I bought into every moment of this. Yep, heh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's also just like I think the next episode does a lot more to obviously show the relationship between the two, but like there are these little moments of vulnerability from both sides, like Guts trying to take on everyone. Yes, he's going berserk, but and he likes doing it. But yeah, he has those moments where he does show that he cares for Caskar and Casker. Oh, I love her so much, we'll get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've really turned around on her. You know.
Speaker 1: I was kind of like rules, Yeah, I'm a fan, cool, big fan. Don't I understand how old is everyone supposed to be? Do we have like idea they're all like seventeen ages?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, I because like I think Guts is like it does say in the manga, because I think he's like sixteen, seventeen eighteen here, like he's very young, because.
Speaker 3: I think he's like like thirteen ish when he joined the Yeah, by the end of the Golden Age, he's like eighteen.
Speaker 1: That's so fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that's right. Yeah, it's eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 1: So probably around like seventeen ish here.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's nineteen during the he's definitely nineteen during the.
Speaker 1: Uh the.
Speaker 3: The event that happens. I don't want to say what it is.
Speaker 1: So Guts is fighting away here, and he's taking more and more damage. He's getting cut up, he's like getting caught with little slices and stuff, but he continues to fight on. Meanwhile, Kaska kind of she gets back in control of the situation a little bit. She's trying to fight off her attackers. It's a bit of a struggle and then out of nowhere, Dagger slams into one of the attackers eyes and he lets out some scream like it's like.
Speaker 2: So, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: That one's just for the for the listener.
Speaker 2: Did he make Tom and Jerry like eHow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty, it's like that, but it's it's really like, I have to do it quiet because quick, you do it real quick? Yeah, more glacial, more like a horse.
Speaker 4: Can you guys, can you guys walk me through the second to second beats of how Casco is able to do this, because they really imply that she's not able to do what doesn't she stab him?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: She stabs him with a stick? Yes, yeah, yeah, she grabs a stick and then jabs it in his eye.
Speaker 1: But because he gets distracted for a second, I think, I think I see what's happen. What's going on here? Jeff is asking would a woman be capable of performing these actions?
Speaker 3: Chill, that's not who I got head in his hands, that's not who I am.
Speaker 4: They finished the episode thirteen and they're just like Caska is in a band spot right now.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you ever thought? I thought problem seemed insturmountable, Jeff, And then you know, you sleep on it, and you kind of come back to.
Speaker 4: Because we're not sleeping on it. This is she do is actually in an.
Speaker 1: Entire episode, Jeff, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 4: Okay, never mind.
Speaker 3: She she looks to she looks to the right hand side to try and look see if she can grab her sword, and she can't grab. In the next episode, she's on the floor, she picks up the branch from her left hand side, so presumably she saw the branch and I was like, okay, I can use this instead, it's closer, and then she grabs it and jabs him in the eye with it. It's a very small stick as well, it's not even like a Do you.
Speaker 1: Ever notice how like Jeff's never questioned this with either male character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of weird. Honestly, this.
Speaker 4: Sucks, man, I'm not thanks Lucy, It's nice to hear that from one person. I'm a woman, wow, yes, yes, yes, and therefore you protect me here.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I do have a lot of power. This is why everyone thinks I'm tall.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: And it's because my neck is like three feet long.
Speaker 4: You said it, not me. Okay, It's not three feet long. That would be really weird. Just oh god, maybe it is.
Speaker 2: I want the record to show that I like stretch my neck out. And John just raised their eyebrows in like a it is.
Speaker 1: It's it's a long neck. It's it's a long neck.
Speaker 2: It's a sign of beauty in some cultures.
Speaker 1: In some cultures it looks fantastic. And I'm this one. But I was just I was taking it back there for a second. I was like, wait again, Lucy, she's not talking shit here. That's that's legit.
Speaker 2: I would never lie about it, Lucy.
Speaker 4: You gotta it's that neck is there? I, as someone who has no neck, a normal human being, I'm envious of your neckage. There you go there, I said it feel better now anyway, Kaska very strong, very impressive, very happy. She gets out of that situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our boy Judo shows up and I don't know at this point, but can we just acknowledge Judi fucking rules fairly aware of his existence up until this moment. I mean, he kind of barely says ship. He's not really been important until this moment. But it's cool because we're establishing him as an important person. Ninja Daggers, I get it, and that's dope as the I know, they really didn't focus on that until now. Ponytail, I get it. He's cool. He's got the rice smile of a sun soaked cat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he walks through all those bodies, He's like, what the He's like, what the He's like, what the fuck happened here?
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm counting one of them. I'm counting one hundred bodies. I think I want to be a member of the all this ship. And he did do that, do that.
Speaker 4: But it's cool. No, Guts did not berserk. You're not following along, Lucy. We're learning things in this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's berserk and he's going guts.
Speaker 4: This show should be guts. Okay. It would have been more relevant at the time too, because there's a Nickelodeon show called Guts around the same time. And that would have been awesome.
Speaker 1: What is this show?
Speaker 2: What is the manga called in Japan? Well, I went to a sticker shop and I tried to get some berserk stickers and they did not know what I was putting down. And then the only way she got it is when I went gutsu. Garriffith, Yes, I love them, but I said berserk, and she was like, no, I'm afraid we don't have that here.
Speaker 3: That could have just been I mean, was it a Japanese person.
Speaker 2: It was a Japanese person, so I don't know. I wouldn't know how to say that with a.
Speaker 3: Japanese Yeah, it would be like a beserku like ah, yes.
Speaker 2: So I did not do that. Yeah, but when I said gutsu, that's when she she knew she was in and they didn't have any So it was a wasted trip. Didn't have any jojo either. Fucking mountains of one piece.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, it's all jiu jitsu kaison one piece one piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of lucy. Have you checked out jiu jitsu?
Speaker 2: No, but it is on my list.
Speaker 1: Good ship, good ship? Is it?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: It is No, it takes a minute. But damn, that's the second season.
Speaker 3: It was a bit weird.
Speaker 1: I figured out my watched the second season time and you didn't like it.
Speaker 3: I haven't watched all of it. I started it and I was like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Is just like this? Okay, I understand, pushed through my friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am going on.
Speaker 1: You were seconds away from that becoming amazing.
Speaker 2: My commute is the exact length of one anime episode, at least if I'm on the bus, which is pretty great.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I can I? Can I reveal you guys something. I've developed a new interest the years, not nearly nearly, after years of the internet trying, I've gotten into Camon Writer.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, damn, So this is It's it's paral Rangers, It's Rangers, and but the dude looks like a bug man.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Well, the one I'm watching at the moment is called Camon Writer gave, and Camon Writer gave. The gimmick is that he eats. He eats sweets and then he takes the form of those sweets. So if he he has like a jelly bean suit and a potato chip suit and a cake suit. That was really powerful.
Speaker 3: Back lad, do you remember the reference to this character in another anime you've seen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, in one lunch man, Yeah, uh Kuman writer?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: No, what was it? What is it?
Speaker 4: I remember?
Speaker 3: You could not have fun Yeah, you could not have picked a funny or worse one than writer.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: I forget? He got his ass beat by the dinosaur guy?
Speaker 1: It was the Emperor, Jeff, How do you have approximate knowledge of everything?
Speaker 4: Because that's the thing I can like remember vaguely a lot, never precisely better nothing.
Speaker 3: Women in Japanese, I believe, means like unlicensed.
Speaker 4: So oh, that's funny, that's pretty good. And we went through the whole thing like we understand. I understood that it was like a knockoff of you know, common Writer, and common Writer is also like a band. We went through the health yeah, and then yeah, yeah, yeah, he was like dollar Store rider. It's pretty funny, and he got his ass beat and I don't like him.
Speaker 3: He tried really hard.
Speaker 1: He tried so hard.
Speaker 4: He tried so hard, he wasn't even close.
Speaker 3: Didn't get so far.
Speaker 1: No, speaking of someone who did get far. The band of Hawk or Judo and Kaska come back on this scene and our boy, Guts is just sitting there in the most peaceful, serene sunset, sourrounded by dead bodies. I love how this scene looks. I think there's some really beautiful drawings of Guts here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. And it's just like because it's the sun rise, isn't it sunrise? And so it's like you can just imagine the stillness in the forest, like after all that chaos, all that bloodshed, and he's just sat like an absolute statue at the base of the tree, and there's all the armor of them running as fast as they can to get there in time to help him out, and he just doesn't need it, and he's just having this beautiful.
Speaker 1: Moment, but he is maybe about to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he is bleeding out quite a lot, he has been.
Speaker 3: I love how Lucy like painstaking leap painting this really beautiful picture. And then John goes, he's gonna die.
Speaker 1: He is dying, that's me sentient YouTube comments section John.
Speaker 3: Fast.
Speaker 1: Oh. So they bring Goots back to camp and he's in a rough way, but he's okay, he's not doing so bad. And then we get a little scene I really really like, and it's casca like drinking with her boys. She's drinking with some of the rank and file band of the Hawk, and you kind of, I think, for one of the first times you kind of get to see like the average soldiers like Admiration of Kaska. They're they're kind of delighted to be around her, but they have a lot of respect for as well.
Speaker 2: Big sis. Wait if we gone past the little caucus scene, because he.
Speaker 4: Was God, what does he say?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh he has like two lines, buddy, it's maybe five words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't die?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what is he? He's just like gods us back and not visibly not dead something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, I'll be damned he's alive after all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, Carcus, Corcus, shut the fuck up, Like, well, you know, you're the only one in the band who's like, I still want Gods dead.
Speaker 2: You know, he's clearly by a long shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if Guts dies, Carcus, you're your chances of survival.
Speaker 1: At this point, Carcus is like, I could take him. Oh yeah, I could still fuck him up. Now now let me at him. Yes, okay, Jeff, that's that's that's today's assignment. You are Carcus talking about how you could beat guts in a physical fight.
Speaker 4: Of course, I can look at him. He's all fucked up. He's all fucked up in in goofy on his deathbeds. No, now, he's still hurt, he's still injured.
Speaker 1: He's coming over here.
Speaker 3: You should say this stuff to him.
Speaker 4: He's visibly limping and bleeding profusely all the This is.
Speaker 1: Good sucking people. People said, you wanted to say something to me.
Speaker 4: I I wish you nothing but the speediest of recoveries.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 4: You did you hear otherwise, whatever it is, it's hearsay.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks man, Okay, Goods is gone again.
Speaker 4: That little bitch.
Speaker 3: Carcus sounds like the kind of guy who would get really into like one of those like one hundred unarmed men versus one silver back gorilla arguments, Yes, I can take him.
Speaker 2: Actually, Caucus has one friend, the gorilla energy from recess recess.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't know what that is, but yeah, he would totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'd be like nobody's nobody is expecting an attack from above, gorilla. Man, I'm the only one attacking you from the air, like the hawk. I am band of the Hawk. You see what I did there, I'm the Hawk. No one realizes that proves me.
Speaker 4: Yes, Gorilla, your day's are number.
Speaker 3: You know what? I just like.
Speaker 2: The other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: That's why I said.
Speaker 3: I just realized what what your caucus voice reminds me of? And sadly, I think it was like Lucy and maybe a few other people listening to this, it's Henry Zebrawski's spring Hill Jack.
Speaker 2: God it is.
Speaker 4: And away, up and away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same one. So yeah, last podcast is my voice? Last left they do like when they did they Jack the Ripper episode going back here. For a period he was known as spring Hill Jack, and he gave him a voice which is exactly your caucus voice. Whenever you do that voice. There's a bit in the podcast he's like, I'm ready to record, and it reminds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's interesting. Okay, Henry, it's the police.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nevertheless, futs, I said it quietly to myself, but I still said it. So we get this scene then where it's Caska. She's approached Judo and Judo's like, Judo, can I talk to you? Bro?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Judo. Ah. This scene it's like kind of means one thing when you're watching it. When you're rewatching it kind of means a different thing.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, is this the way?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What did you get from the fairy dust scene?
Speaker 1: Jeff?
Speaker 4: So okay that they're doing drugs now now, Like drug use is a big part of the berserk world.
Speaker 1: He think's next episode, Griff, it's going to be like, got's give me the drugs.
Speaker 4: I think Guts is going to go up to Kaska and be like, I need my fix. I need you to rub that green powder all over my stitches again because I'm in a bad way right now. They started bleeding again, they started weeping again. Give me that green Give me that green powder. Where is it at?
Speaker 2: Well? I remember I do love in the animation that like whenever you can see the blood through guts as bandages, it's like an ass like a spray, but it moves like holes the whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a different layer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the same with the green paste. Anyway, this scene with Judo, what did you take from it? Jeff?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I was like, is he a fairy? Is he like some crazy fairies? He like a shape shifter?
Speaker 3: You know? Is that what it is.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Why does he have this green medicine? That's like apparently he literally told you, I don't remember what he say.
Speaker 2: He was traveling with a band of folks.
Speaker 4: And they had a fairy, band of fairies.
Speaker 2: No, a band of humans, but they had a fairy or they met a fairy.
Speaker 4: How does how do you get fairy dust? You have to grind up that fairy.
Speaker 3: Probably no fairies have access to fairy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's there, it's their currency kind of that only they can possess.
Speaker 2: I am sad that. Could you imagine the fund that Jeff would have with Puck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have fun with every day there's Jeff would fucking hate Pook. I think that's the fun So Jeff. One of the characters that is not featuring in anime Berserk is a small car fairy called Pook who follows. I know we talked about I've seen that, You've shown me the drawings. Yes, interesting, but I don't know. I like this scene a law and I think like even just a little glimpses into Judo where he talks are traveling around with like a troop, like a circus troop. It's like, yeah, that's where he learned his kind of he's a CARNEYE. He's a Carney. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You but you guys, see what you do is when you when you hyper focus on a seemingly innocent interaction, like between Judo and Caska, You're like from my perspective where I'm seeing, and I'm like, all right, guy fucking knows a fairy big deal, doesn't make it special. Yeah, but you guys are are injecting a level of important.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing about this podcast is like Jeff having no fair way to understand what's happening and exactly being like stupid Jeff doesn't get it again.
Speaker 4: I know, it's like making fun of like a baby that can't walk yet, you know, it's like, what a dumb baby? You can't walk? Yeah, why don't you learn how to walk?
Speaker 1: But we get a little maybe it's in the previous team. We get a little snippet here as well, where Griffith isn't actually at camp. He had to like go back to like hang out with the nobles, and clearly this really hurts Casca. Yeah, but Judo gives Casca the fairy medicine and she tells them, she says, go give it to go apply it to Goots, which is an interesting do you know into playing that that himself? You know, yeah, yeah, well you know maybe it's like, look I saw you guys. You know you seem to be a little close to maybe you want to touch him.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just I just want to draw emphasis to that and that scene because I think it says something later on. Okay, And then we get this and in the manga this and this episode has called it as well, but the manga is called the Bonfire of Dreams, and a lot of people really consider this section like a really central important part of this circuit. People always talk about the Bonfire of Dreams and what this whole segment is. You got this section where this little cutaway in the in Gutz's fight with the Hundred Men, where he's kind of like, what the fuck am I doing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is this is pointless, you know, And here you start to get him really like delving into that pot with Kaska and she's rubbing medicine on him and he's basically saying to her, like you your dream is Griffith. Griffith's dream is the Kingdom. This other dude dreams of marrying this girl. This other dude dreams of being a baker. I have fucking nothing like I have. I don't have a purpose, I don't have a dream. I'm still in a lot of ways like this kind of wild dog, just surviving, just doing whatever I can to survive. And I'm very good at surviving. I can really kill people with this eight meter long sword. But I that's all I am, and I want to be more than that. And I think it's really like it is. It's powerful stuff like just I can't even make any jokes about it. It just genuinely it's like it's you're watching a person realize that like he needs, he needs a reason to live. He needs more than just like going from one day to the next.
Speaker 2: I think the way he phrases it too, about everyone is a little light but he's just someone who sits by the bonfire is very powerful way of saying it as well. And like you can see the realization in Kaska's face as he's talking, and then she's like, oh, does this mean you're lea But it's also you know, like compared to the guts who joined the Band of the Hawk, the fact that he knows the names of everyone. The fact that he knows what their dreams are kind of shows this emotional growth and like he has had this as a home for a few years. In the fact that he has the emotional maturity to realize that he has to find himself and find something else to like find his purpose is a very powerful, powerful.
Speaker 1: One hundred present to all that. Like that is so true, and it's one of the it's it's it's one of the really beautiful moments in Brazik where you really can see like, Okay, these people are like growing and changing as this is being on.
Speaker 3: It's time for software reference of the weay it is. I don't know how well if this is like standard thinking. But this is also one of the episodes where I thought, oh, this is a massive influence on from software because one bonfire of dreams. Bonfires are central to to like doctor Yeah, and it is about you know, achieving an objective or like changing things. It's also an episode about fighting and dying and continuing to fight when you're not sure why you're doing it, you're just repeatedly doing it, which is what Guts is going through and figuring it out, which obviously is the central conceit of of every Soul's game. Almost every game they mentioned some version of You're gonna fight and You're gonna die. And in Dog Soles two especially, they say and you won't know why and and that is like a I think it's a specific reference to to this moment from Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeff, Like what what what do you take from this scene?
Speaker 4: You know, he's talking about his you know, like the fires and like the fire, the flame, the attraction of the flame and Griffith and this whole thing. You know, it's like I think that stuff like I don't take guts for to be this like poet, right uh, And I don't think he kind of like earns this this little speech he kind of gives right now for for for my taste. But I still think it like Lands and the and the sort of like essence of it.
Speaker 1: Lands.
Speaker 4: I do notice like there's a lot obviously, like a tremendous amount of self reflection, uh, very very you know, laid on very thick throughout Berserk. So I I understand, you know, maybe I can have a little bit of like forgiveness for for why that's happening here.
Speaker 1: But I think you know, for me, this is what he's shows us thinking, like what do you think he wants to do?
Speaker 4: Well? I know Kaska is very much like is this more than relieving? Like is he is he out? Is he out of the Hawk the band? The Hawk band that we've all formed. He plays drums and that's crucial, Like this is this is a problem for us moving forward? Yeah? I mean you know, I look, he has that moment he's killing all the guys. He's like, what am I doing here? Am I gonna die in this disgusting forest?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What are we doing? Maybe he is developing some of the emotional intelligence, emotional maturity of like being a person with agency and instead of this like mercenary life that he sort of has lived and and all these all these conflicting ideologies and internal things coming to a head.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, obviously in the blast radius of this epiphany are the people who he's come to care about, including Kaska and and Griffith. So that's what I'm assuming we see unfold in the next handful of episodes.
Speaker 1: M hm. Then just as kind of like it really feels like the two are about to have this kind of moments like whatever that moment might be. It turns out to Griffith's back at camp. They both rushed down to see them, and Caska immediately starts apologizing to Griffith and like she's right back into like just being Griffith's Griffiths first, you know, Griffith's Griff's girl. And this really cute moment where Goots kind of like pushes her into Griffith to disrupt her apology. That was funny, griff It's just like, it's cool to see you, and Caska starts It's just it's just it's one of those moment. And then like basically Goots goes off drinking as Caska hangs out with Griffith, and it's just this moment of like and everything was fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, but it does a lot a big lift of table setting here, right, and just totally you know, if this would almost work as like a cliffhanger for like a season, you know what I mean, Like the kind of set pieces that they are positioning high drama is ahead and.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much everything that happens here. And I think that last episode particularly phenomenal. Yes, so good, so much there, and like, you know, I hate to keep saying that, Jeff, because I know it's annoying, but like like berserk is like just one of those things where like it just gets better the more you know, and on hindsight, like this is such an important part, and it's like there's so much here you can kind of read into and look at and be like fuck.
Speaker 2: Man, yeah, yeah, yeah, great, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: It's a tremendous, tremendous due of shows right here, very good stuff, excellence. And with that we conclude this week's episode of Jeff Jeff Sorry Adventure. We will be back soon, I am sure, and from there we will be continuing on this berserk ride all the way to the end of the manga. What no, you mean the anime? I mean the nineteen ninety seven anime. Yeah, I was told it's the other the any other ways impossible. So just with the sheer amount of years we would need to devote to this, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think at the at the cadence of our podcast, we would be going.
Speaker 2: Most of until retirement into the into.
Speaker 1: The twenty forties, which hey, I'm not against yeah against those seem like years we'll all get to well spent, all right, okay, Lucy James Games. Where can the people find you?
Speaker 2: Right there? At Lucy James Games Everywhere?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, more, where can the people find you tomorrow?
Speaker 3: H everywhere?
Speaker 1: And Jeff any any website or anything on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go to the website giant boumb dot com. You can go find me Jeff backlar on most platforms. I'm at jurff dot x y Z on Blue Sky. And you know, I'll figure out all the other platforms at some point. Go go reach out and say, hi, well you John.
Speaker 1: You can find me at ipatchulf on Blue Sky. I will not figure out the other platforms. I refuse. And that is it for this reception. Guys, thanks for joining us, Thanks.
Speaker 4: You, Thank you John. Bye by bye